Speaker 1: New edition.
Speaker 2: Since Elmer has been with his girlfriend Diane for three months, what of parents will they be? Go, Elmer, how many kids have you talked about having together?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: My god?
Speaker 5: If he has an answer to this though, Elmer and I are like, we should be brothers. Yeah, if he genuinely three months in knows how many kids the two of them would like to have.
Speaker 3: Okay, Elmer, Florias yours? Has it come up yet?
Speaker 6: Uh no, But we have talked about, like what kids would look like if you know what I mean, mixed race couple.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, well, that's the same thing. That's pretty good. Three months in race couple.
Speaker 1: Kids are always the cutest.
Speaker 3: Quantity you haven't talked about.
Speaker 7: I mean you talked about quality quantity, and I think that's that's the Actually.
Speaker 1: Are we talking two or five?
Speaker 3: You think, how many would you, like, Elmer if you had your brothers?
Speaker 4: Well, it depends how much money are making.
Speaker 1: Good point.
Speaker 5: That's a smart They're not that expensive early on. They get expensive when they're like teenagers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see maybe two, maybe adopt one?
Speaker 3: Oh so you go three?
Speaker 5: Or one of those two would be about I don't know, maybe like one and done. This seems to be a growing trend in younger folks. With all due respect him, right, you're obviously yeah, adoption, the adoption thing, like people like they grow up saying that they want to have maybe one of their own, but they definitely want to adopt another one.
Speaker 1: Is that because why is that? Elmer? Why would you like to adopt one?
Speaker 6: I don't know, It's just been like since I was a kid, I've always been like, there's a lot of kids out there, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't that.
Speaker 5: But the reason why I think this is interesting is this is like almost like a cultural hive mind thing that is within a generation. And I mean, I'm sure an economists could dig into what is the psychological inspiration behind it. But yeah, I hear it constantly from people who don't have kids yet that there are more and more people are.
Speaker 3: Talking about adopting.
Speaker 5: It's interesting where it used to be like a joke when we were kids, you know what I mean, Like like that was supposed to be a negative thing, but now people are like, no, this is what everybody.
Speaker 3: Should be doing.
Speaker 2: If you're wondering why Gary's face looks like that, it's because he is a pure bred family. He doesn't believe in any sort of crossing of any.
Speaker 5: Lines at Gary, why would you bring this up at this time?
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if we're going to talk about dogs.
Speaker 3: I see what you're doing.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying, yes, I don't have any.
Speaker 3: That one must have really landed. Good job. We were all here.
Speaker 1: To see the downfall of this.
Speaker 3: I was going to say.
Speaker 7: I was going to say I have adopted people in my family. I mean, my brother in law was adopted. But wait, doesn't count. And I'm trying to think of.
Speaker 1: It's okay, that's all right.
Speaker 4: I think it's humans.
Speaker 6: You know, we should be more communal and this should be like more talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should take care of like the kids that don't have like parents.
Speaker 6: That's very nice, protect each other and like, yeah, it's cool to have your own kids. But imagine if everyone one just like adopted and like to just be like less sad kids in the world.
Speaker 3: You know, as an adopted person, I would rather have my own than adopt me.
Speaker 2: Too, don't I don't want that surprise box as an adopted kid, I wouldn't want me. I wouldn't want to open that up and be like, oh great, I've got this for most of my life.
Speaker 3: One of the.
Speaker 5: Things that I brought in to talk about I think kind of addresses this thing. I'm not trying to shorn this in at all. I'm sorry if I'm ruining him per segment, but no, it's that the idea that I found this article that they did another study that basically corroborated with this new belief that more of what people are is genetic than it is there's more nature than there is nurture. That and it's not trying to discount a nurture situation at all, where your environment and all that stuff does have an impact on you, but kind of there's this concept that's growing that there's at your core, your genetics decide who you are and what's going to happen to you. I don't believe that, no.
Speaker 1: Because I know both sides.
Speaker 2: I know my parents, and I know my biological mother, and I am just like my mother my mother. I've met my biological mother. I have a lot of similarities with her, but she seems much more normal.
Speaker 5: So even like personality and things like that, because I think there's a tendency to be like I am.
Speaker 2: I am very much into the I've learned, at least from the small sample of information I have for my own situation, that it's much more nurture over nature.
Speaker 3: Fascinating. Well, I guess we're done. Then I guess yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I guess it's I mean, it's it's gonna be different. I mean, like there's a study for everything to say.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: It can all you know, come on, well and you can't.
Speaker 3: This goes to what you say. I'm easily persuaded that there's.
Speaker 1: A study for that.
Speaker 3: Your kids are younger than my kids. I think I have a better.
Speaker 7: I'm closer to a conclusion than you would be because I have a better idea of what their adult personality.
Speaker 3: We're like sixty eight years ahead of.
Speaker 5: Me, I think, if I remember it correct, sixty eight years six six eight years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you're making a Shannon now old I am. You've got him on the ropes from your earlier Yeah, you're that dog.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good right now, he's laughing inside.
Speaker 3: Somewhere somebody face.
Speaker 7: But the idea that the genetics, I mean, we raised our kids in the same house at the same time, like they were there, they're not that far apart. In age two years, two two and a half years. So the idea that they can come out and be very different people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my brother and I are very different, both adopted, separate adoptive fam separate families, you know, and we are very different like your kids.
Speaker 1: My brother and I are kids, are.
Speaker 3: Two different people in my po exactly.
Speaker 5: There's but again, to me, there's the core of who they are, right. They still they're very different, and they're better people than I am. But at the core they still have my softness, my sappiness.
Speaker 2: There's innate's stuff in your personality that is genetics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then.
Speaker 2: There's the stuff that shapes who you are, and I think that that stuff is more prominent than the innate stuff.
Speaker 1: And my brother is really good.
Speaker 2: When it comes to fixing cars, just like his biological family was.
Speaker 1: On both sides. My family can't fix a car.
Speaker 2: My dad couldn't fix anything, but he has that innate gift. But his entire personality is the family personality like you.
Speaker 3: Know, as well it should be.
Speaker 5: I mean, there also could be argued that, you know, our brains are kind of wired to find these connections and to solve the things that don't make sense, and so we're going to see things the way that we want to.
Speaker 7: See that totally. And then how much how much would your genetics? Are your genetics malleable? Can can they change from generation to generation? Where As you know, Shannon's brother's great at fixing cars but has a very unique personality. Does his kid do his kids do they have his personality because his genes changed? I mean, I don't know, that'd be much more of a different scientific question. Interesting if I think, if I think I was going to try to oversimplify what this study was saying, is that I think it's like they're trying to argue that it's a sixty forty split and that your environment has maybe a forty percent or less influence on who you are at your core being. Like I would almost argue that if you had not had a positive experience with your adopted family, that you would probably have a differing perspective as well, Like you would probably look at it and not want to see the similarities.
Speaker 1: You're assuming I had a positive experience.
Speaker 8: Well based, Okay, she is very good at this rock will continue justin because I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I do see how it hurts hurts.
Speaker 4: A break.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take a gene an emotional neroic.
Speaker 5: He was like, he got in this oyster knife was like, let me see your I do think it was better that you were able to get some of it out.
Speaker 7: I agree, yeah, Gary and Shannon kf I live everywhere.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I thought.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm freaking justin right now, and I don't like it.
Speaker 3: It's not bad. I mean, you get premature gray, but in that life.
Speaker 4: Is pretty good.
Speaker 3: But you stood up. There's a you were very physical.
Speaker 1: You're very like, okay, well, let's not talk about it.
Speaker 3: He just goes into himself like shoulders cry over.
Speaker 1: You know, I crumpled a piece of paper.
Speaker 5: It's not that bad. I mean depends what's the backstory of the pride?
Speaker 3: What's the paper? Where's what's the journey?
Speaker 1: What's its journey?
Speaker 7: We humans are very closely related to to chimpanzees and apes and.
Speaker 3: Large large apes yep.
Speaker 7: And there's a study that suggests that as different as our parenting styles can be among humans, there are different parenting styles among the great apes.
Speaker 5: So they decided to look at sumatran orangutangs because Iratans the Sumatra ones are definitely the top notch and because of any mammal, let me get non human animal, they care for their children longer than anybody else and it's six to nine years. So it's still like I think I was going to say half, but probably a quarter for our kids nowadays, depending on what you evolved. And so they were looking at and what they found was that there was there was consistent differences between the different mothers that they like observed over six thousand hours of orangutan's mothering their young and anyway, they also found that what made them feel like this was something that was a personality trait of the mom was that it would be consistent through multiple children, like they had their way of doing it, and there was like variations between how long they would carry them and how long they would help them with food, and how long they wanted them to be close to them as they got older. So there's various points within their development that a mom would be like, Okay, n it's time for you to go away from me and go figure it out.
Speaker 7: Well, and let me ask if there's a connection here. Because we just talked about the idea that genetics shape personality. The genetics are the things that will control these things. So is this a suggestion perhaps or do you conclude from that, Yeah, genetics will determine what kind of a parent you're going to be.
Speaker 5: I think so, I think depending on what you believe, I mean, I think if you're more leaning science than I think, this could be an argument that this is how parenting evolves, like and people evolve that right now. I mean, there's a strong movement evolutionarily for parenting to be like very involved in what your kids are doing well into adulthood. And I think that probably much like we talk a lot about homework, how it swings on a pendulum, like they go from no now we get get caught up on homework.
Speaker 1: Of how you guys parent and your wife's parent.
Speaker 2: Is is the way that they were parented or you were parented.
Speaker 5: I think it's always informed, but I like so for me, I copied a lot about what I got from my dad, but then there was this part that I got from my mom that was very soft and loving, right, And so I've even though Natalie still handles that my wife, I feel like there's a lot I've softened. I'm a lot softer than my dad is in so many ways.
Speaker 1: But you always have been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean, but it's interesting too because as he got.
Speaker 3: Older and I've I'm experienced. I don't know if you would.
Speaker 5: Agree, Gary. We talked about this the three sevens. Right, zero to seven you play with your kids, and then seven to fourteen guide you teach them, and then fourteen to twenty one. It's kind of like you you're more of a coach. I'm sorry, you teach them from seven to fourteen, and you coach them from fourteen to twenty one, and that I feel like as I got older, I could see my dad also softening and like it felt more peer like. There was always the respect that he was my dad, but it was just it was a different relationship that became more friendly. And I see that start to happening happen with my kids right now, that there's this change that even happens throughout time.
Speaker 7: My parents were very hands off for the most part, not that they didn't care, but Dad, for example, it was just very He's just very hands off. He didn't know the names of my friends or he didn't know I'm pretty sure he knew where my school was, but if he was tasked with ever picking me up from school, it would be an adventure for him to get there, and I I, I don't know if I tried to or I just kind of fell into that pattern with my kids. I was much more involved with them than my dad was with my childhood, but not in a negative. I don't look back and I think you were doing that because your dad wasn't there, right or was it?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, I will say this my trend.
Speaker 7: If it were not for my wife encouraging me to be involved with stuff, I wouldn't have been involved with something. Yeah, Like I was encouraged like, hey, why don't you coach a volunteer to coach the baseball team or the soccer team or something like that, because then you get to hang out with your kids.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yeah, but there's other kids.
Speaker 7: There's other kids there too, and other parents, parents and adults, and like, I don't I like my kids, but there's a lot that goes with that. But it was, you know, and it kind of was the decision of well, if they see me involved and if they remember me being involved, maybe there is a benefit to that that goes beyond what a benefit I received from my own parents.
Speaker 5: My thing, my dad did a version of this, but not as not to the level that I think I've done. Is that my thing was I wanted to be so involved that the people that were watching over my kids would know that I'm involved, and therefore they would pay more attention to my kids. And it worked, like when they were in elementary school, I would get yard duties that would come up to and be like, hey, your son has eating lunch in the past couple of days, Like they would be aware of that kind of stuff. I think when they see that investment, it makes sense. But the thing that also blew my mind about the Rangutans is that there was one kind of thing that they saw as a parental trend where the mothers that carried their kids longer, those kids would develop the ability to eat on their own sooner and be more independent as they got older.
Speaker 1: Your kids don't even need lunch now.
Speaker 3: Is right? I don't even feed them right? Not too far off for themselves now it's the bark out in the backyard, the the day. Listen, everybody has to grow up their own way.
Speaker 7: Gar's good fids, just thank you.
Speaker 3: Justin Worsham of course is a great person.
Speaker 1: He is a great person.
Speaker 3: I'm still here. This is great for me. Oh, I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: That we can do more. Stick around for the next hour. We'll make it all about you.
Speaker 3: Early birthday for me.
Speaker 7: Guys,