Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to the team house. I'm Jack Murphy here with our guest tonight, Louis Socido. He served in a number of different infantry units worse and then went to the seventy fifth Ranger Regiment, served in three seven five, went over to snipers, lots of deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and some other interesting stuff too, before he went over to the s FAB which was a new unit, a training and advisor unit that we'll get into. But Louie, first off, thank you for joining us on the show.
Speaker 2: Hey man, thanks for having me. It's real pleasure. I love everything about your books.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: I need to get Yeah awesome. I've really liked the genre and everything that I know you. I've met Jack Carr a couple of times, and that's an awesome guy.
Speaker 3: Team. But just how y'all right's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Thank you? Yeah, no, I really appreciate that. Man. So let's start at the beginning. If you tell us a little bit about how you grew up and how that took you into the military.
Speaker 3: Man. So, yeah, so that's a funny story.
Speaker 2: So I grew up to my dad's at Coppon Dallas, it's like a thirty seven year veteran of the Dallas Police Department. My mom was a dental hygienis of all things, and kind of middle class, but we had the I always tell people it's like we have the Me and my brother had the picturess like growing up a kind of American experience where we went to high school.
Speaker 3: I played soccer, I played a ton of sports.
Speaker 2: Me and my brother got into wrestling roughly about the same time, and we did wrestling all through high school. And so that I think, especially the wrestling portion, because you hear a lot about guys. I think I ran into mostly guys in regiment that had They were all wrestlers, every single one of them. And so it's it's I kind of laugh about that as I can think this same amount of suffering that you did in wrestling kind of translated into suffering in other parts of your life, so you could do it real well, like when you were a lot of the times that we were running around not eating, fitting in bags and wearing cash bags while we're doing everything. So it's like it was a level of suffering that you put yourself through to attain a goal, to just get out and fight on the mat to get to that wrestling match, and that I think really really translated into the type of suffering that you would do later past that. Like, my dad had had a lot of aspiration, big aspirations for us. He wanted us to be an officer, or one of us to be. He was like, hey, if you're going to go to the army. I always knew that I was going to go into the military, and so he had always had big aspirations for He was like, you're a officer. We're trying to send you to West Point or Annapolis or this is I wanted to be a pilot until I found out I was dyslexic and that doesn't work real pilots. So I've gotten into all of that wrestling and everything. Kind of knew that my path was going to be in the military. And then nine to eleven happened. And I was a junior in high school when nine eleven happened, so and everybody, you get the same kind of response from everybody where, They're like, hey, where were you during nine to eleven? And I can remember exactly where I was. And then the thought process of Okay, now now I know I'm going into the military. I didn't know how long I was going into the military for I thought I was going to do a like a four year stint and I was going to follow my dad's footsteps and go to the Dallas Police Department. So that's that's kind of really like the the growing up portion that led me into going into the military. Had there not been a war, I probably wouldn't stayed as long as I did. But definitely the way my father and my mother raised us. We were Americans where we lived in a place called Little Mexico for a little while and then we moved to Carrollton, and my dad was always like, you're not a You're not a Mexican. Like, don't don't listen to what everybody says. You're not Mexican, You're an American. So me and my brother pretty much raised on that, took that into heart and then and we just liked doing the hard stuff.
Speaker 3: We got to.
Speaker 2: I had the the risk factor that was always there. I think with all all guys that do what we do. I got into a lot of trouble, like a ton of trouble. I went to parties, I drank uh and I really knew that college kind of wasn't going to be for me, so I didn't never planned on it, plan on it, and then yeah, so I joined. I tried one year, one semester of college and then I called it.
Speaker 1: And you and your brother both joined. There are a few year gap between the two of you.
Speaker 2: So there's a two year gap between when so me and him are actually two years apart, and there's a year and a half to two year gap between when we joined.
Speaker 3: So I had joined in two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: And graduated everything in May, and I was stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas, and then as soon as I got there, I was gone. Probably I think it was like three months later, like I got promoted to start first class or not start first private first class, like on the airfield when it was snowing, getting on the berg to go to go back go into Iraq.
Speaker 1: And what was Iraq like for you in two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that place was the wild West, like the so everything had just had just stopped and it had just transferred over to Ohio. Two we got there, landed in Buyop. They're still doing the I don't know if you had ever gotten into Buyop. Probably did, but they were still doing the drops, so they were got the the combat drops when they would fly and they just they'd take that aircraft and then they'd be like, okay, everybody, hold on, and they just knows that thing right like right to the ground, and we That was I think that was the first time I realized like that, hey, this could be real, because I'm sitting there and I'm just like, how oh my god, I'm like like nineteen twenty years old, and I'm looking down the road. There's people throwing up into their shirts on the floor. It's going all over the place. You've got the loads are laughing on the other side, and it's like, oh, okay, so this is there. They're trying either trying.
Speaker 3: To sear us or we're we're scared of something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We landed in the middle of the night, got there, and then that deployment was pretty I was in Camp Taji, Iraq, and so we're there on MSR Tampa, and it was funny because we just knew that that was the big IED's hadn't the EFPs hadn't started go happening yet. I would meet those later on early two thousand and six seven, and so we were really just scared of the one, five fives, and it was just random firefights and it was all of it was super surreal when I think back about it, because.
Speaker 3: We would go down Route Irish, we'd do stuff.
Speaker 2: We'd be heading down into the green zone, taking people in or pulling people out or going on mission.
Speaker 3: And right there on Route Irish there was a bridge and as soon.
Speaker 2: As you cross that bridge, first little tick I got into is we're coming out. And as soon as you cross that bridge, everybody's shooting from both sides of the freeway.
Speaker 3: And it's just all fires coming in on you.
Speaker 2: Everybody's you're driving, the gunners are shooting, they're we're shooting back at them, they're shooting at us. And then you crossed, probably about a mile over, you cross back over and it's over. It's like somebody turned like a stick it off, And so I was just like, this is it. It got really surreal that one at a couple of points where it was just like this isn't real life, like we're living We're living in some alternate universe where this is happening.
Speaker 1: Where you're just sort of like, I can't believe that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's like I was like, so that's my first firefight. Is me sitting in this light the rear the rear of this vehicle and we're just getting ding, you know, we're getting stitched up a little bit, but we're not really scared of what they're doing. And it was funny because the unit that was bringing us in because we were ripping out with them, was just like everybody good and they like it was a normal day like that was just it was like, hey, somebody passed me that rip it.
Speaker 3: Down there, and we're like I'm like sure, here you go, buddy.
Speaker 2: Uh So yeah, So just just a very surreal experience as soon as like how I rap was then and then through the entirety of it, it was it was that it was kind of that the entire time. We had a couple of things. There was a road right on MSR. Tampa going north towards Anaconda. There was a moss that was called the Shot of Mosque, and for some odd reason, they really liked shooting down black Hawks and they did it a couple of times, and so every time it happened, the response was is we'd go down there, we'd get into a huge firefight with them, and it'd be like a two day tick and then we'd be like, all right, that's it, the show's over.
Speaker 3: Everybody go back home.
Speaker 2: We did what we said, and then we'd go back to we'd go back to Taji and hang out there. And the surreal part about it was funny, and later on I thought about this was that we were having like Friday night boxing matches at the USO's at the or at Yeah, the MWR right in front of that PX right there on Camp Todgy. They were having like volleyball tournaments and so it was like a little town.
Speaker 3: And then we had a haunted house in October.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to go to it because we were running missions out, but like they put together in these old abandoned buildings and on that camp they put together like haunted houses and stuff like that. So we were getting I was getting like this weird feel like, hey, like outside the I go outside the game a lot and it's like every man for himself the wild West, and then you come back in here and it's like, hey, there's just people.
Speaker 1: It's like a boy Scouts jamboree or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it was it was an introduction that I probably will never forget because you go into you read books and you watch movies and you think wars one way, and then you get there and you're just like, oh, this is this is nothing like what they told me.
Speaker 3: It was going to be. Those were you didn't get the next Hodge DVD you know that month?
Speaker 1: Those were Those were the years where like you guys would be playing video games, hit the pause button when you had to go on a mission, go and do it, get into a firefight, come back, sit right back down on the couch, yep, start the game again.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was like, yeah, you just come right back and you start playing.
Speaker 2: Or what is the My favorite thing was we would just come and hang out and we had chess games going on for like days, and we'd go leave. It's just like that, we go leave and then we come back and we play chess and we'd be like, all right, whose move is it? Or the biggest one is you start a fist fight over Risk because somebody, somebody moved your apart. I think r Place got banned from Risk a couple of times because they started a massive fight.
Speaker 3: It's like you're a cheater.
Speaker 2: It's like they were like, all right, well, we can't do this anymore because the privates are out there getting wild with each other.
Speaker 3: And that was the other thing too. The army was a lot different then it was.
Speaker 2: I would say it was more kind of what we knew it to be. We're like, if I had a problem with another private, I just walked outside and we just fought it out.
Speaker 1: And counseling was the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, like E five would I'm not gonna say they'd hit you, but they would.
Speaker 3: They'd rough you up a little bit, like just to just to get it into your head.
Speaker 1: So privates were physically corrected, that's all.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're physically into the wall several times. I was one of those hard ended privates. So I think any good, I think any good n c O. When you get when you did well in the military, you you always remember you were like, yeah, I was that hard private. I was the one that was that was slightly out of control. And me at twenty, I had I had the biggest ego on the planet. I was like, I can outdo you at everything?
Speaker 3: Could I know? Not really, but I try.
Speaker 1: Well that's a uh, that's a good personality asset. That sort of have that to take you into special operations. But we'll get there. But you after that deployment, you went over to Worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I went out to fourth IDU. I was started.
Speaker 2: I was an E four and it was funny because you get there, I'm pretty much volunteering for to get onto the next thing. So I moved from Riley to hood get there and I was just like, hey, like like, I want to get.
Speaker 3: Onto the next thing. I got picked up physically fit.
Speaker 2: I'm at that point like I'm in a good place kind of like I said, physically, which is really the only thing that matters. I could have been done as a box of hair. But as long as you can run your two mile in like you know, eleven minutes, you're great.
Speaker 3: Like you're the You're you're the next best thing.
Speaker 2: So got into that and immediately two thousand and six redeployed over to Rustamya Iraq. So we were right in the middle of Baghdad uh and we get there and this is not the most garret that I was ever, But when I realized, I was just like, oh things, things are slightly out of hand here because the surge was just starting up. We get in there and we get into it. So the normal thing we get into by up, get taken the buy. By this time, I've done it already. And so we're getting in and they get us in in the middle of the night. Well, as we're coming in, there's rockets slamming into this camp.
Speaker 3: And if anybody, if you.
Speaker 2: Know anything about rest of Maya, it sat in between two large radio towers and so bracketed. That's say bracketing. That's perfect for bracketing. And so we were getting at we were driving in that night and getting rockets. Rockets were hitting, like hitting vehicles that we were coming not our vehicles that we were coming in on, but where they're having the motor pool.
Speaker 3: You could see them slamming into the motor poole.
Speaker 2: And as we're coming in, they're like the people like get it's it was almost like a Vietnam movie where they're just like, get off, get off, we gotta go. And we're getting off and running right into a bunker and getting into these bunkers and that's that's hey, welcome to the rest of my Iraq. And it was funny because that day the next morning we're getting everything set up.
Speaker 3: We hadn't slept.
Speaker 2: We're getting we're getting finding our where we're going to be living for the next year.
Speaker 3: And this guy they come and tell us.
Speaker 2: They're like, hey, we had a casualty last night from one of the other companies, and we're like, what happened? This guy has been in country for eighteen hours and a rocket had snuck its way between because it was built it was hard stand buildings, but they had the sand bags that were built up with the barriers, and one had snuck right between the barrier and the roof of the building and hit his door.
Speaker 3: And frat put frag all over him.
Speaker 2: So he was in I think you they said he did in the country for eighteen hours and was being evaped that day. And so that was kind of the realization that we were in things. Things weren't like the surge was real. Things were getting kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we as soon as we got in they were like, hey, all are going out? I think we We did a sort of lefty right seat ride and then we were we were to the races.
Speaker 4: This pot is brought to you in part by Stash. You don't accomplish a mission by winging it. You have a plan, you stick to the fundamentals, and you stay disciplined. Where conditions changed, investing should be no different. That's where Stash comes in. It gives you expert guidance and a clear plan so you're never left wondering what to do next. Stash is a registered financial advisor built right into an app. It gives you personalized next steps and expert guidance designed to help you build long term wealth. You stay in control of your money while getting the structure and direction to invest with confidence. Whether you're still serving, planning your next chapter, or years into civilian life, Stash helps you stay focused on your long term goals no matter what comes next. Because the hardest part of investing isn't getting started, it's staying discipline over the long term. Let's Stash show you the way. Join more than one million act As subscribers who are building wealth the Stash Way with guidance, structure, and support every step of the way. For America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, Stash wants to make it easier for those who served and are serving to get the financial advice they need. Go to stash dot com slash House to get fifteen percent off a monthly subscription or thirty percent off an annual subscription and to view important disclosures. That's stash dot com slash House paid nonclient endorsement, not a guarantee nor representative of all clients. Investment in advisory and services offered by Stash Investments LLC and SEC Registered investment advisor. Investing involves risk. Offer is subjects to terms and conditions. Thank you, Hey guys. This episode is sponsored by cash App. I use it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I really do enjoy it. I've had cash app probably for like like four or five years now, and it's great. I love the interface, super simple, super easy to use. It's incredible. And they you can go and buy you can buy bitcoin with it now. Yeah, that's cool, right. You know what I'm saying? Is bitcoin complicated? Do people just think it is? You know what I mean? You know what I mean. If you've been curious about bitcoin but been a little bit, a little bit feeling like it was unapproachable, cash ap makes it easy. You can set up automatic purchases with zero fees or buy larger amounts also with zero fees. Start smaller, go bigger. It's designed to be simple, either way and I can attest to it. Cash app is very simple, very easy to use. I really do love the interface. You guys should check it out please and help support the show. For a limited time, new customers can get ten dollars added to their balance. Just use the code bitcoin ten when you sign up, and don't forget this part. Send at least five dollars to a friend in the first two weeks. Terms apply. Cash app is a financial service platform, not a bank. Bank services provided by cash app bank partners. Bitcoin services provided by block Inc.
Speaker 1: Brand.
Speaker 4: For additional information, see the bitcoin disclosures at cash dot App, Slash Legal, Slash podcast. For ten dollars, add it to your balance if you want it now bitcoin ten and you can send five bucks to a friend. Check it out bitcoin ten. The link is in the description. Thank you cash up for supporting the show. I actually use the product and I love it. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Enjoy What was that? I mean, what did that consist of? Because a worst team, of course is long range reconnaissance. I mean that's what they're designed for anyway, But what was the actual mission that you guys had when you got to Iraq?
Speaker 2: So it was it was strange because it was we were but we were basically like an area of denial. We sat and we sat in a cop and then we were running operations out of that cop and we we were tasked to watch an MSR. We were tasked to do operations on that MSR. So they essentially we got used as just a normal infantry company. So I'm not saying it was mismanaged, but i think that was the sign of the time. It's like, yeah, at that time during the surge, we were just trying to regain control and RUSS and eye. That area was one of the areas that was really contested at that point in time. I can't remember the cops name, but we we were in a cop and we had been in this cop four maybe this is a great one, and we we actually have a yearly retelling of this story. So we're in a cop We've been in there for maybe like four or five weeks running operations out of it. It's it's pretty much like there's a barracks on the top floor, the bottom floor has another set of barracks, and then we had like a bay operated and all of our trucks were in this courtyard and that's kind of where we did everything out of it. We have fuel tanks, we had like small guard shacks. But this thing wasn't very This thing wasn't very big. It was maybe five six hundred meters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those cops were like Vietnam era fire bases.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, and so and so one night.
Speaker 2: A guy named Richard and another guy named Sprouse, where they were sitting on top of his deck smoking and the normal night, like we'd gotten out of the mission.
Speaker 3: Everybody comes in, some people are eating.
Speaker 2: I was in I was in the barracks playing cards, and so we hear a thump, thump, thump, and then like explosions on the building, like not not around the building.
Speaker 3: It was on the building.
Speaker 2: And then we start hearing the guns go off on the towers. As we're running out, Sprouts and Pritchard are running back in and they're screaming at everybody like don't go out there. So what kicked this off was they were smoking and Sprouse and Pritchard look up and Sprouse even says and Pritchard says this every day. It's like he told me. He looked at me in the face and told me this. He goes, man, that's a weird shooting star. As they're looking at it, it keeps getting closer and closer and closer, and as it does, it lands right in the middle of their smoke pit. It's an inner mortar, doesn't it doesn't go off, and by all rights, that things should have killed both of them.
Speaker 3: So they're running in.
Speaker 2: They're like, they've just had this near experience, trying to keep us from all running out. So we're pinned. That's the only way out is that little stairway. We're pinned inside of that, that little thing while there's a huge fight going on, and the tanker company that we're attached to is downstairs. They're trying to get They don't have tanks at this point, so they're doing their best. They're trying to get out to the walls. And it was funny because my best friend, he was the best friend. He's my best man at my first wedding Insury Ranger fashion. He's the best man at my first wedding. His name is James Dyer. He's now major, which this man, he's an amazing he was an amazing soldier.
Speaker 3: He still is.
Speaker 2: I laugh every time I say major, because I'm like, nobody should have ever given him that.
Speaker 3: But so James is luckily.
Speaker 2: Enough, James had been had been a washout an EOD school and like the last week wash out, like he got thrunked and they got they got upset at him. So he washed out the last week. So he's got he.
Speaker 3: Knows a little bit. So what does he do.
Speaker 2: He's like, Okay, well, I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna see if I can at least put some sandbags around the state. So he goes out there, does the EOD thing, puts a bunch of sandbags, and we all take off and run. We spend the entire next that night repelling an attack where they knocked down of the four walls that was at that cop they knocked down three of them, and one of the major.
Speaker 3: Things that happened.
Speaker 2: And James and Sean Myers another guy, so we were all in the same squad. Sean was the squad leader, me and James were his team leaders. And so during all of this action, the trucks are all sitting right there. They get hit by mortars and they get a fuel tank goes off on them, and so they're kind of they're burning on the side and we so we now have the vehicles either, but all of the AT fours are in there, and somebody's like is the eight veyler like hey? Or all the AT fours still on the trucks like yeah? And they're like, if those things go off, we're fucked. And so James and Sean run into this raging fire and start plucking out all these AT fours. Both of them end up with bronze stars for it, which was that one of one of the many actions that they did during that entire deployment that actually got recognized. But that was one of the knights where it was just like Holy crapt was like, this is like viet Like you said, like Vietnam style attack on a on a base.
Speaker 1: Were you guys like preparing to be potentially overrun? No? I mean was it that bad?
Speaker 2: So once they are I want to say that our own maybe mortars had knocked down our own walls at some point in time, and so I wasn't sure because we're busy on one side, but there was a point where we yeah, we had thought we were like, hey, like if this, if this goes down the way everybody thinks is luckily we had gotten air support overhead.
Speaker 3: So we've gotten attack helicopters.
Speaker 2: But we end up like we're saying, hey, like if we have to, we're gonna have to drop back into the buildings, and once that happens, like we are, we're in a bad way. Luckily, we had repelled enough of the attack and I think we had we'd had enough firepower out there.
Speaker 3: We you know, we come with a bunch of machine.
Speaker 2: Guns and everything like that that we had gotten them to get away from us. And once the attack aviation shows up, they pretty that was It was like, hey, we're not We're not messing with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What ended up happening with that cop is they that was unusable anymore.
Speaker 3: They weren't to send anybody out.
Speaker 2: That thing was gone, and we ended up having to move to another one that we lovingly called Castle Grace Could because it was a all it was was a five story unfinished parking garage.
Speaker 3: That they put that they put barriers around.
Speaker 1: And you finish what's up? You finished the deployment out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we ended up finishing the deployment out of there. Lots of good stories with that. Actually, have you heard of tales from the Good Square? No, it's a like collection of ghost stories from the gat Real super Yeah, it's it's on I G I love reading their stuff and I listened to wartime Stories. Gets a lot of their stuff off of YouTube, but I love reading the stuff. I'm about to write one because we're pretty sure that place was potted.
Speaker 3: What it ended up happening.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, so the reason why we had gotten it at such a good price was because during the invasion, before the American forces came in, the Bathists had taken all the people who were.
Speaker 3: Not friendly to the Bathists.
Speaker 2: And the story was that we've gotten told this bye older, was that they had gotten all these guys and rounded them up in that building and then took them to the top right a book above the top four. So you had the you had the overlooked the top four where all of our machine gun nests were, but right underneath that they brought them all up there, and then they had shot them and set them on fire in there.
Speaker 3: And so what was the crazy things? When we were first.
Speaker 2: Looking at it, we walked up to that and I smelled a dead body or two burn before, and I walked up there. I was like, that's a familiar smell, and a couple of the other guys who had been around burning bodies been like, this smells weird. And then we were like, what's all these marks on these these burn parts on the ground. And turns out like any even the Iraqi police, the IA, they would whenever we were staging to do missions, would not go into that building at all period. And we definitely heard some weird stuff up there. So I don't know if it was like large animals or something, but there was there was a point in time where guys would not go up there with their nods on. They would turn their knods off. They would they would follow this air well and then they turned their nods on as soon as they got to the very top.
Speaker 1: I mean, were they like hearing voices or something? What do you think?
Speaker 2: So at night, when we knew nobody was up there, you would hear like things moving around. One of the big complaints was either nods would completely go dead. They were the old PBS four teens, so like they would go dead for any any reason.
Speaker 3: But the it was the.
Speaker 2: Everybody had seen it, and I saw a little bit of something, and you know, you never want to say that you saw something to anybody else outside of it. But you would see shadows do things that like they weren't really supposed to be doing, right, and so, and I would always talk it up to, oh, there's a light somewhere way out in the distance. It's shining and it's it's moving shadows like that. But a lot of guys would be like, yeah, I just don't turn my nods on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you're trying to talk yourself out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, I have to go to this guard ships. If they don't, if I don't go up there, somebody to be real mad. And I'm more scared of that sergeant than Diam or whatever's up here. So I'm just gonna go up there and just pretend it didn't exist.
Speaker 1: I did many years ago. Now, I did a Halloween episode for a different podcast where I kind of cover some of these stories, and I got a guy to tell a pretty cool story about Okinawa. There's a lot of ghost stories out there.
Speaker 3: Oh about the what is it? Gate three?
Speaker 1: I hear a lot about some abandoned buildings and stuff. There's some weird, weird stuff. And actually from from Iraq, there are quite a few UFO stories, which is probably probably it's our guy seeing our own aircraft, you know, more more than likely. But there are some stories that you hear and like, like things that an entire marine battalion saw that like doesn't really make sense, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like too, how like a lot of these stories good because you hear a lot of stuff. We spent a night out in the old Iraqi intelligence their complex, I'd like so on a lot of the videos, you watch tomahawks slamming into like a like almost triangle building and then there's a they would be like, that's still Iraqi intelligence compound.
Speaker 3: And we actually stayed.
Speaker 2: The night in that, and they have legit cells that were very strange, and that's where we were sleeping, and none of us slept in there.
Speaker 3: We slept in the we went ahead and slept in and it's jealous.
Speaker 2: It's jail cells cells. And then there's a walkway that you go up and you can see that there's islet metal islets on the ground and you could pretty much guess what they were for. But you would look up and it's a walkway and it's completely there's no cover, there's no nothing.
Speaker 3: It's a walkway.
Speaker 2: And then there's these islets on the ground and their their space pretty evenly evenly. Uh And well, later on we asked about the rule that were like, hey, what's going on with this?
Speaker 3: And they're like, oh, that's where they chained them.
Speaker 2: That's where they just sat them out in the sun and chained down there. And I was like yeah. And it was funny because our platoon sargeant it was like, yeah, we're not sleeping in there, like we'll just we'll just sleep out on.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I know some platoon sergeants that would have loved to lock their privates up.
Speaker 3: And yeah, privates changed in there.
Speaker 1: Then. Oh man, it's so wild. I mean, Iraq does have this like parts of it have this quality. It does have a haunted quality to it. I remember like seeing places where you can see just the very top of the foundations of buildings that no longer exist. Yeah, and then and then the new buildings built like perpendicular or opposite to it, like the the city plan actually changed and these new buildings are built over these old ones. It's just like this place is so ancient, it's unreal.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we got into uh So one of the ticks that we got into was right outside of the Babylon. So there's Babylon Gates right to the north of h to the north of Bio writing.
Speaker 3: When you're getting into the green zone, there's like ancient there was.
Speaker 2: There was a wall there that they were like, yeah, that's part of that used to be.
Speaker 3: This is where the Babylon gate was. We got it.
Speaker 2: It was like I remember like being by that gate or by that wall and being shot at from it and be like this is I was like, this must be where he said that this was. I was like, this is super cool. So but yeah, I think that's one of the coolest things about the military in general, and going to that area, like the g Watt was the g Watt.
Speaker 3: Was the g Wat.
Speaker 2: But the things that you got to go and see, like who how many people can say that they've been to Baghdad And Baghdad was almost the that's in the cradle of civilizations, So you're all of the history that you hear about and read about, the Bible everything like that.
Speaker 3: A lot of that stuff went through there.
Speaker 2: Uh, And I was so I love history and I was always really a really cognizant of stuff like that. When I was in northern Iraq, I'd be looking up names and stuff like that, and they can almost get translated into the Bible. And that's part of northern Iraq is part of where like a lot of the Old Testament.
Speaker 1: I mean the Bible. I believe. I believe the Nanova Forest is actually in the Bible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so that's it's it's weird because you're traveling all through these places and uh.
Speaker 3: I think one of the.
Speaker 2: Cooler trips that I did is we were going to check on on some of the Kurds and we were going towards the Iranian border.
Speaker 3: It's gorgeous, beautiful, like mountains, Like.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of pictures of us where it looks like we're at the top of the world there and.
Speaker 1: What you're talking about, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're just like and I'm like, man, it was like, it's crazy that there's this much conflict and war going on in such a gorgeous place. I think like part of where we were at there was an old ski resort there and it's like these people used to be pretty especially Iraq. If you think about Iraq in the eighties, that was like a thriving metropolis, like it was. They had nightclubs, they had, they had industry, and then you know, the wars kind of set them back probably about like sixty or seventy years.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, man, and so after that deployment, you get back and when does like the seventy fifth Ranger Regiment start sort of like entering into your mind.
Speaker 2: I'm fantastic you asked that a question. I know exactly when it happened. So we were walking down a route that had had an ID strike. Probably it wasn't IDA, it was an EFP. So one of the terrible things about the EFP when that started filtering in from Iran was that they were blowing holes in chunks through all of our armor. And so I was there during the period of time where it was like all our vehicles looked like they had come out of Mad Max because they were trying to find anyway, crazy ways. It was like Ammo cans with glow plugs in them because hopefully maybe we can catch them if they have heat, if they're not victim operated. So going through that, we would see these vehicles just get crushed by e fps. You know, a couple of them, the size of was like fifty five gallon drums that would just knuke an entire thing. You'd hear about all they would drag I think that was one of the worst things they did. Drag them into Rustamaya and they're still blood and gore all over it.
Speaker 3: You were like, yeah, they didn't. And it's funny because whenever I think about that.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see the movie Memphis bel No World War two movie about the bombers, the bomber crews, and it was about one one bomber that had made it all the way through. But the it reminded me of because I saw that movie when I was a kid, and then it reminded me of that of them pulling these planes out, like back down the runway after they'd gotten in a fight and there's you could tell somebody who died in it. And that was a lot of when they were pulling these vehicles out from EFPs, was that you could tell nobody like there's a huge there's a hole that goes in one door out the other through the radio mount and there's gore and blood everywhere on it. No one made it out of that, So that was happening a lot. So what do they do instead of it? They're like, hey, this, Uh, they're gonna walk us in front of it because we're going to do a route reconnaissance. So in a B and invert of B, we're walking down route taking out things, hoping that that EFP doesn't hit us first. Uh.
Speaker 3: And when I asked the question, because there's a you know, million.
Speaker 2: Dollar vehicle behind me, the Buffalo's, and I was like, these things are meant to take that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, why am I walking in front of it?
Speaker 2: And they're like you cost less than that would to blow it up your whatever, we have to pay your family.
Speaker 1: I never understood why why they did that. I mean, if you study World War two, the Nazis always have their infantry behind the tank. It's not not up front. Nobody does that. That's stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was, and we were doing it down the routes, and what I think the whenever we got the training and everything for it, it was that you did that and maybe that first guy would be far enough away from the road to catch anything that was victim operated. But if it was a pleasure player or anything like that, you're you're done. So I'm walking down there and I'm just like, so, wait a second, that buffalo is more important than I am at this point, or any of my friends or anybody else.
Speaker 3: And it was they were like, yeah, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: So we've gotten into a couple of things and Command I think was making some bad decisions. We had a friend of ours get killed. I won't put out any names, but in an instance where a person of leadership had put their TC into the back position or into the TC position because they knew they were targeting those they were targeting the tcs, And that's exactly what happened. And then that guy, that leader survived while a bunch of our friend did not. And so we had taken a couple of casualties at that point. Guy named Josh Plaska, who was a E four at the time, he got killed by an FP, and so we had had a lot of we'd started getting casualties.
Speaker 3: And that's when it started becoming real.
Speaker 2: And I had an epiphany at one point in time where I'm sitting there, I'm.
Speaker 3: Just like, like I.
Speaker 2: Got to get somewhere where like my life matters a little bit more like that I've upped the up the priced had on me and myself so that if I'm going to keep doing this like I'm going to survive. So my brother had just gotten in the Army and just passed rip and had gotten into three seven five, and so that was one of my phone calls to him. I was just like, hey, I was like, I think I'm going to go and I'm going to go to selection, like and if I don't make selection, I'm getting out. I'm not going to do this anymore. My brother is a very was a very like person and three seventh even from a private everybody really liked him. He's just one of those guys. And so as I'm talking to him about this, I'm getting close. I was just like, hey, I'm going to selection as soon as I get the second I get back second they'll let me. I get off that plane. I'm going to selection. My brother's like, so you want to go what be a teacher? He's like, you want to you want to go teach people to do stuff? And I was just like, what does that mean? I'm a regular army dude. So at this point, I think Green Beret is just like I'm going to be kicking indoors.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be doing all the cool stuff, Like it's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: And my brother's just like yeah, He's like, so, here's the thing. He was just like green Berets don't do direct action. He's like, and he's in the regimen. He's like, we do direct action. He's like, that's all we do. And I was just like at that point, I was like, cool, how do I do this? He's like, he's like, let me let me get back to you, let me figure some stuff out.
Speaker 3: I'll email you. Hear a bit.
Speaker 2: The next email I get is from Ben Durham from three seven five or he was at the point. I think at that point he was the career counselor and it's basically an emails positive.
Speaker 1: I know Durham.
Speaker 3: You probably do Ben as he was he was.
Speaker 1: On a jump into a rack. Yes, yeah, I know Durham. Yeah, he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Durham's one of the best guys in the world. One of the most shiteout people have ever met.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why they had him working in the arms room.
Speaker 2: So he was actually he climbed up all the way to be the regimental career counselor.
Speaker 3: Good for him and like, yeah, he did real well. He was in charge of the fight teams, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a boxer regiment. Yeah he did all of that. Yeah, yeah, ran his own fight program and everything. He did a lot. But I didn't know him at that time yet. But he he sends me. It's just an email and it's like click here to apply, like and it's like I click it, and they're like, have this printed out, have your commander sign it, give it back to me. So I'm just like all right, So I go get my grander to sign it. And it was funny because I was at that point. I was really good friends, me and my friend, my squad leader at the time, Sean Myers and James. We were kind of all at the same point where we were disenchanted with the war and how things were going and kind of the regular army lifestyle. So I get everything together, I get it, everybody signs my paperwork, and I'm pretty much on board, Like I think I was going to get back.
Speaker 3: I was going to have the two weeks to leave and then I was going right to rip. And so we do that.
Speaker 2: I'm having a conversation with them, I'm like, hey, I'm gonna do this, and they were both like, no, I think we're done, and I'm like, I was like, why don't you just come with me? I was like, I'm pretty sure they're looking for people. We can all get into this. Both of them said no, I'm the only one that said yes. And to this day when I talked to James, Sean actually died a couple of years ago, but when I talked to both of them when he was still alive, they were both like, I should have gone with you, Like we should have done that because it was the We were in a squad that was was like minded, like regiment was like and I always tell people, is like the the thing you can't the thing the difference between regiment and the big army is in regiment or in the big army, you'll find one or two guys that are about it. But they're they're about the lifestyle. They are warriors. That's what they wanted to do forever. Whatever reason they didn't get into that. They couldn't make their way because getting into regiment's luck too. Like I tell people that all the time, like it's like getting through selection rop that's luck, like partially.
Speaker 3: Luck, like you could. I watched the guy walk.
Speaker 2: Out and and rip, and he was wearing the wrong T shirt. That was the end of his That was the end of his rip out. Yeah, like, yeah, you bring them the wrong one. You don't like, oh wait, you didn't bring X, Y and Z. Yeah you're done, thanks for playing. So but that's the difference between what I thought the difference between regiment and army was it. I in the big army, I found a group few and far between, but I found a group that was gonna watch my back during combat, was gonna fight like we were always fighting. We were always trying to get to the forefront of the fight. We were trying to do close with and destroy the enemy.
Speaker 3: Regiment.
Speaker 2: It's everybody, every single swing swinging guy out there is about that life. That's what he does, and if he doesn't, he doesn't belong and he won't be there anymore. So it's like a very stark difference between the big army, but you can still kind of find those pockets. But going back to it, that's that's pretty much my epiphany. I was like, this is what I'm gonna do. And then I because I was in E five at the time, and it's I don't know if you've ever heard of E five is going through as a import.
Speaker 3: Hard, very hard.
Speaker 1: They go through rope though right or rest now.
Speaker 2: Well, so no, through an E five, you go through RIP, RAP, you go through RAST one. I went through RIP, so it's still the four week course I get. And the way it happened was is I got back from Iraq. Two weeks later, I'm at Benning for Jump school UH and then immediately picked up. It was in August, immediately picked up, and then I got into and then you go.
Speaker 3: I went right down to.
Speaker 2: Got into RIP and then four weeks in RIP, the four weeks in RIP.
Speaker 3: And then immediately after that.
Speaker 2: It's because I'm an n c O and I can't have an I can't be an n c O and regiment without a TAB. So right after RIP, I'm right into uh SERT. Right after SEARCH, I'm right into Ranger School. And then it was funny because I got out of Ranger School and Starry Major Merritt was the It was first arm Bohannon comes in pretty much tells us we didn't do anything special, like you're not special.
Speaker 3: Everybody does this.
Speaker 2: Immediately after, Star Major Merritt walks up and he's just like he's.
Speaker 3: Like, congratulations rinkers, and we're like that, He's like, here's in.
Speaker 2: He's like who here's in DCO Like raise my hand and he's like, you'll be meeting your platoon in in seventy two hours. You get a pass and then you're gonna be on a plane.
Speaker 3: I was just like perfect.
Speaker 2: And then a week later I found myself since I was that was my first deployment and I didn't do any of the train up, but I still have to shadow and they still needed guys. I found myself in Deco and they were like, you're a Goose.
Speaker 3: You're the ag for a Goose, and you're gonna learn how to be a team leader.
Speaker 2: So there I am with Goose rounds like walking up a mountain a couple of weeks after Ranger Schools, just being like, well, this is great.
Speaker 1: If upgrading your full sleep setup has been on the list for a while, ghost Beds fourth of July sale is the time to actually do it right now. You can get two hundred and fifty dollars off mattress bundles, which means you can add cooling pillows, cooling sheets, or an adjustable base and still come out well ahead of what you'd pay anywhere else. And as a Teamhouse listener. You get an extra ten percent off on top of that using the code house. Ghostbed is a family owned company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. Their background is in manufacturing, so every product in their lineup is built with the same focus on materials and construction rather than marketing spend in inflated markups. Every Ghostbed mattress is built with cooling from the ground up and their pro core support layer, which reinforces the center of the mattress where your body puts the most weight. Don't take it from me, They've got more than one hundred thousand positive reviews from people who made the switch and didn't look back. Mattresses are made in the USA and Canada and come with a one hundred and one night sleep trial, fast and free shipping and a warranty up to twenty five years, twice the industry standard. Not sure where to start, head to ghostbed dot com slash house and take their mattress quiz to find the right mattress, then build from there. Go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash House promo code house. Some exclusions apply Sea site for details. So you mentioned, you know, some of the challenges of being an import coming as an E five rather than kind of growing up in the regiment. I mean, what was that experience like for you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Rough, the learning curve was just massive, especially not having been able to do any of the work up Like I wasn't in the train ups.
Speaker 3: I didn't do any of it.
Speaker 2: So my first like induction into the regiment was meeting them overseas in Afghanistan and starting to go out on missions like here's your kit, here's all your stuff, like follow us, don't get out, don't get don't fall behind. And that's kind of when like I kind of pumped myself up. I was like, all right, like it's gonna be normal. It was a the beast of regiment as far as going and actually doing operations was something just wildly different.
Speaker 3: In the big army.
Speaker 2: You sit around and it's like, you know, hours of board, like or days months of board, and with a couple of stark moments of terror mixed in here and there there.
Speaker 3: It was like off the gate, we're and I was. I was. I was a deco first.
Speaker 2: Armed Bullie was the first argeant and we we did not like walking at all, so everything was ex landing like what we called it the Deco bum rush, where you just took off off the back of that bird and be feet right to that target. Like if they're cheating at you, doesn't matter, keep going, get to the doors, like we'll be fine. But yeah, the learning curve that it was a it was a rough learning curve and I can see where a lot of guys don't survive that where it's like, hey, you just can't keep up, You're not this isn't for you.
Speaker 3: It is a very different place than the big army.
Speaker 2: Just what they expect of you, what the knowledge you're supposed to have as an E five, Uh, the getting anybody to actually respect you at that point because they know you're an import. So I got lucky again because my brother was well known and so they were just like, hey, like this is Saucege By that time, I think he was an he was a tap step for two and he was just like they're just like, hey, he's you know.
Speaker 3: He saw his brother.
Speaker 2: So I got I probably got a little bit of leeway on that, but it was that deployment, and as hard as it was though, that's kind of where I knew. I was like, no, this is where I was supposed to be. This was this was the road I was supposed to take. But that that road. I did eight months of schooling to get into the regiment as an E five because they don't I don't know if they do it anymore, but it was almost a gauntlet. It was the Airborne School rip Sert, then it was ranger school, then it was deployment. Hey cool, you get you get seventy two hours with your family and then you got to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's hardcore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean as a ranger like again like and especially like right afterget.
Speaker 3: I was pumped up. I got a ranger job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I was And as soon as they said hey, you're going, I was like, fantastic, this is gonna be great. I'm gonna get to And the biggest thing I was impressed with was the chow haul out of Man where where we we were down in a helmand damp, leather neck.
Speaker 3: I love the child hal there. It was great. That's what I was doing. I was just eating the whole time.
Speaker 1: So this first deployment you guys were doing time sensitive targets, I take it, and you're learning the ins and outs of doing direct action raids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was we were doing a lot of direct action if in fact it was all direct direct action. And uh so I had actually gotten there right Cubic and Centaurra had gotten killed probably about a week and a half before, and we had gotten sent to that that mission set because Marsac had had two snipers killed in that area like it was when they they had gotten n acturally surrounded, track downs, crown and killed almost kind of a red wing situation.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then they had they had been like tossed off a cliff I think at that point. So, uh, that's what they brought two strike forces in to go and start like handling that mission set.
Speaker 3: Uh. And that was a it was a really kinetic Uh.
Speaker 2: That was a kinetic kinetic deployment where we were out getting getting into fights, going to mean we have one Uh, it had to have been a.
Speaker 3: We got there pretty early, right after.
Speaker 2: Right after the what's called night time had fallen, get their land and immediately start and we didn't leave until that next morning. We've been fighting the entire morning or had been fighting that night into the morning, and that was one of the and I'm sure you've had it, the I had one of the most again going that like weird but surreal things that it ever happened, that I'd ever seen. And it's the the moments you take. So I always tell you guys or guys getting into it's like, hey, take that, like even if you're in a firefight, don't you know, don't get dangerous or anything, but take a moment to look around and realize where you're at. And one of the things I realized when I was there is so it was like a movie.
Speaker 3: We had ex filled.
Speaker 2: These guys decided to follow us from like because we had kicked up the Hornet's mess was right out things right outside of calf And we get on top of this hill and we're we're we're fighting, like the back of our formations, fighting the entire time and pretty much just withdrawing to our HLZ. Get onto our HLZ. It's on the top of this hill. The sun's coming up over the mountains, so you can on the right side you can see the mountains. Uh, and the sun's already lifting up. We're already we're already in the day, and there's bombers, uh at fifteens that are making runs on the top of these mountain, dropping bombs on the side of these mountains, and we're in this kind of a half moon shape. I'm a goose gunner at this point, so I'm helping load a gun and then I'm shooting, and we're repelling another attack on this hill and like, I look around and everybody's shooting, and you see a tens come over. They're they're like, you see a tens just laying waste to people. We're all firing on the side or we're all firing, and then you hear the wump and we look back and this chinook comes right over the top of us, turns its ass around, and the gunners just start shooting off the back of it, and we all like as soon as.
Speaker 3: They land, we all start running on the birds.
Speaker 2: We get it, and we got we got the guy that we were looking for, like I think he was like at the time, he's like number two or three in the country, and we get him on we're on and we're flying away and everybody's just jacked up. We're high fiving each other. We're just sitting there like everybody's fist bumping high five each other.
Speaker 3: We're all sitting on the ground. And one of the.
Speaker 2: Things I did is I looked out and we're flying pretty high at this point, and both of these A tens are pretty much doing circles around the formation as we're doing and I'm like sitting there and as I'm like thinking about all of that stuff, I'm like, this is like a movie, Like this is unreal, and this is my induction into regiment, this is my first employment.
Speaker 3: I was just like at that point, I was just like, I'm gonna do this forever. This is this is all I have.
Speaker 2: So it was I think if you can, especially as an import, if you can make the road, it's worth it's worth.
Speaker 3: It at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, if you can get through the culture shock as you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of guys don't, not their fault because Big Army that dropped from Big Armies roos.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And then you get after that, the first deployment. What happens when you get back to the States, and now you're kind of like that ranger battalion garrison wife at Fort Benning.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, completely different from again, completely different.
Speaker 3: From the big army are you're always training, but.
Speaker 2: The good old boys club, Like I'm a at that point, you know, I'm a tabby five, so you know, the world is my oyster.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm getting privates. You're running around, and I.
Speaker 2: Just remember it being you just wanted to be the best of everything, Like you wanted to be the fastest runner.
Speaker 3: You wanted to do all the rucks you wanted to.
Speaker 2: You wanted to be the team that did the best so that you could get the best missions. Yeah, and then especially then being there with my brother too was a good time because we piled around a lot. Like I'd always go in and hang out with him. I think he had just made the move over to Recky and so I'd always go and like hang out with him in his in his office and stuff like that. And then just kind of the small stuff that you would see where it's the you're walking around through Tambaret at that point.
Speaker 3: And you're.
Speaker 2: Nearly untouchable on that base, Like everybody knows that they give you the wide berth. They pretty much hey, uh, you know, you're behind the brown fence and everybody knows it.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows who you are.
Speaker 2: Which is is kind of the difference in AH in the big Army is that nobody knows who you are.
Speaker 3: Nobody cares. And I had an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: So when I graduated RAS and was going to SERT, I graduate RASTS and they're saying, hey, you know you're or No it was Ranger School, No, it was RAS.
Speaker 3: It was RAS.
Speaker 2: And I graduate RAST. So I have a tambarey at that point and they're like, hey, I got a.
Speaker 3: I got a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Before my class picked up for SERTs, so they were like, hey, you need to go out to you need to go back to Port Hood.
Speaker 3: I'll process that.
Speaker 2: So I'm walking around Fort Hood with a tambareat and a scroll on and man like couldn't get any bet Like I didn't have to do nothing. Everybody was just like, oh God, that guy.
Speaker 3: They didn't know.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because in the big Army, you know, especially I didn't know anything about it. And then I didn't know that like if if you would have been in the know, you would have looked at me and be like that dude doesn't have a tab. So it was funny because that was the Garrison life was so much. It was fun, but it was also hard, and it was definitely that warrior culture, like you everybody's trying to be the best. Everybody's like I'd never seen so many guys go to the gym in my life. It was like we went for morning Pete, and then you see everybody in there going to the gym. If they were in Aco, they were all getting hairless and canning out somewhere. The drinking was a lot like That's that's another part of the culture, is man, we drank when we got back from that deployment. That was the funny thing too, is that they always had a pizza and kegs waiting for you when you got back, so that you could have a couple of drinks while you're trying.
Speaker 1: To go quick weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the rigmarole of getting all your weapons in there, and then you'd have the we'd always get into the platoon fights over in the zoo where people are going over, they'd block off all the stuff on the side.
Speaker 3: So nobody could get through. So it almost looked like.
Speaker 2: A World Wars one movie where you got people blowing whistles. They got the caving ladders that they've extended so that they could go over the top.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the platoon brawls get a little out of hands sometimes.
Speaker 3: Oh it was so much fun though.
Speaker 2: We got into one while we were doing elevators out on the airfield with Sea Cove of all people, and I was in h I was in HAC, but I was attached to Beco as their sniper.
Speaker 3: And we get into the huge platoon brawls.
Speaker 2: And it's that they have their guide ons there and there's the first sargeant of talking shit to each other.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I remember getting into that fight and I don't know, do you know Sessna at all? So Sessna he actually went to tag later on Giant.
Speaker 3: He's a giant. He was an egg. No, he's sicco dude. He was a.
Speaker 2: Massive man, like sixty three two hundred something pounds. I am at that point probably one hundred and seventy pounds in kit and I'm I'm all every bit of five, like five six, five seven maybe. And during the whole brawl, everybody, you know how it is, everybody's like falling or.
Speaker 3: Beating each other up.
Speaker 2: And I like lock eyes with Sesna after he had just plunged somebody else and he comes running at me and I just latched.
Speaker 3: Onto one of his legs and so he's dragging me around. It was great because we had the.
Speaker 2: Platume brawls were probably the most fun I'd had, But the met probably hated it because they were always fixing somebody.
Speaker 3: These fingers are broken.
Speaker 1: What was it when we had like battalion field games? You remember that field day? Yeah? Field day? Yeah, get those banners, you know, and we uh our battalion. I'm trying to think now, was it the battalion or was it between companies or was it from platoons. I think it was platoons in my company and he had us play this game Washington over the Delaware. I think he called it where they put like or maybe it was two different companies, because I think it was our first sergeant and the company commander and one zodiac from our company and another first sergeant and company commander from another company and the other zodiac and the NCOs had to hold the zodes up and go from like point A to point B, like two hundred meters, and all the privates were lined on the edge of the field, and if those boats, God help them, got too close to those lines. Dudes were getting pulled in boom damn. Guys getting thrown off the zodiacs. I mean, I saw guys get their pets ripped right off of themselves, so they're walking around naked.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was totally nuts.
Speaker 3: We did uh.
Speaker 2: I think one of ours was dodgeball, and they had that gout like like people are sitting there calling other people cheater. You're like trying to like slam this ball. Well there was one guy who's going up to get the ball, slips and gets his face like demolished by this ball. Like somebody like runs right over him hits him with the ball. It's entry ranger fashion. Everybody takes everything.
Speaker 1: Just like any advice i'd give to like a young like ranger lieutenant, it would be you've got to be very careful when you pit rangers against each other. Yeah, and tell them like, hey, it's game on, go get that you know, win that banner for us, Like something really bad is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It was so when you got new guys, it was like their first week was rough because it would be the you'd get all these new guys and in the company and get them.
Speaker 3: I remember I was a squad leader.
Speaker 2: I'd get new guys and I'd be like, hey, go into uh going to first platoons. I want you to fight every single one of them. And I'll get like, I will give those guys uh credit. The new guys didn't wouldn't even blink out charge and they run over there and tackle the first person they saw, and it was and then all of a sudden, it's more brawling. Other people are coming in. And I think one of the best ones we had was in Cicco.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We almost had a hostage exchange at one point in time. We're all the quad leaders and team leaders sitting there and we're like we had them locked in the lockers and we're like, all right, I'll train you the fat one for my skinny guy and be like, no.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be two. So it was great that like when we got bored, we got bored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, my my privates did that in Iraq where they were they were kind of sneaking around. They put on their battle clavas and were sneaking around. If you remember, the old cold weather gear was all black, so they were dressing up like ninjas and stuff, and they were going out in the middle of the night in those shoes, and they'd wait for guys from other squads to go to the showers. So they're like walking with a towel around them, waddling over there, and privates would just bawl this guy up and flex cuff them and drag them into their chew and they'd take like trophy photos with them and stuff. It was yeah, then yeah, it becomes a hostage negotiation where like you gotta let my guy go. No, fuck you, I'm not doing.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we took everything from I think that's what I missed about it is like it was fun.
Speaker 3: The culture was always.
Speaker 2: Like about the fight, but it was everybody was in good even in Snipers.
Speaker 3: We did stuff like that.
Speaker 2: We had a guy named Baker who had a birthday and this is my favorite starting major merrit story. And a guy named Baker had a birthday and so uh, right outside of the child hall they had those uh uh the uh pull up bars and we caught Baker out there and we had duct tape and uh and buckets of water and so we tossed him up there. We duct tape and and then we throw rag over space. We start like waterboarding him right there.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so we're sitting there doing all this stuff to Baker and uh they drive starrow.
Speaker 3: Major Marrett drives by, you know. Sergeant Major Marrit drives by.
Speaker 2: Baker thinks that like, oh God, thank god, somebody's gonna stop this, looks over at him, and Star Major Merritt like rolls down his window, like looks from side to side and goes Happy Birthday, Ranger, and then just drives.
Speaker 3: It's it's just like we like kind of look around.
Speaker 2: Like, all right, I guess I'm gonna go back to what we're up to.
Speaker 1: So Ergeant was awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, everybody loves that guy. I don't think there's a I don't know anybody.
Speaker 2: Who didn't like and I'm sure, uh everybody has like that. Sergeant Major Merrit story on objectives. He went out a lot. He always went out on the mission. There was a guy named Bailey and Deco that we were up on. We were pulling security out because we had already taken the compound. So we're pulling security out and there's a big moon out like it's pretty high biz, and uh, Bailey's on the ground.
Speaker 3: We're wandering around on the ground too.
Speaker 2: And Bailey looks up and he goes, he goes, hey, whoever that is, He's like he starts cursing at him.
Speaker 3: He's like get down, and all you hear out of the darkness is oh yeah, yeah, Roger, Roger Ranger and like gets that and he goes.
Speaker 2: And so we go back to we're going, uh, we're going back to get the deber like download all the debris stuff. Star Major Merrit walks in and he's just like, where's that ranger who pulled me to get the f down? And Bailey's just everybody looks.
Speaker 3: Over at him and he's like like that. He's like, good job, Ranger coins him.
Speaker 1: And like what Like my Sergeant Major story was when we were doing airfield seizures and I was in Snipers at the time, and I mean, it's dark out, it's on Wason Airfield. You have no idea who's who in the air. But I came underneath Sergeant Major Merit and sharked his air and he dropped. He dropped like an anchor. I don't know how many feet, but came all the way down and I heard him come down and like blah and you can hear it. Yeah, that's Sergeant Major Merrit like rah yeah, And he told me later all of his pens in his pocket exploded when he hit the ground. I felt so bad, like I was horrified. But he was a good sport about it. He was like Loder Jumper has the right.
Speaker 3: Away that guy. Yeah, good times. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So after that first deployment to Afghanistan, and you know, now you're living the range of life, what was the next deployment for you?
Speaker 2: So after that deployment in Afghanistan, the next one was back to Afghanistan where we I'm trying to remember where we ended up. It was Sillernoh, so we ended up in Sillerno, out there doing a bunch of missions. At that point, I was with two Delta and uh pretty connected. That one was also pretty kinetic. We were actually there with then uh started major. Oh man, I just brained dumped his name. We were just talking about him, not Merit, Sar major then right now the current Sargat major.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, your buddy. I didn't I didn't know him, I'm afraid.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Anyways, he was a target there for when alf are too off.
Speaker 2: I can't remember which which Africa, So but we had like we were all there. Major Taylor was there one of the he was the a JC And that was a fun deployment because my brother was actually supporting Sealerno too, so he was the wrecky guy supporting them.
Speaker 3: So you know, he went out on a bunch of missions. We tried. We didn't go out on missions together as much on that.
Speaker 2: Deployment, just because I think they were being kind of cognizant of the atmosphere what was going on during those deployments. And so, yeah, did that deployment and that was a fun one, had a real good time. We got into a lot of stuff on that like kind of the normal thing though there wasn't anything like big about it. It was the normal. We got into techs, We did a bunch of stuff. There was a bunch of Shenanigans on Slearne was a base just to the Rangers do kind of like I think one of my we were talking about video people playing video games. There was times where the weather was because Sillerno is right there by the KG Pass and that's what we were doing a lot of our operations. But during that time period, you know, weather could come in and they'd be like, hey, weather's red or he'd be waiting for weather to.
Speaker 3: Clear so that we could go on mission.
Speaker 2: And so there was a lot of times during that deployment where we were sitting there playing like Nazi Zombies in full kit, Like we were just all sitting there like playing Nazi Zombie.
Speaker 3: He was like his weather sins, it's still.
Speaker 2: Black, and they're like yeah, He's like all right, like push two hours, like fantastic.
Speaker 1: I think I saw I think it was one of the medics and Charlie Company. I saw him get flexcuffed to the chain link fence at Salerno on his birthday.
Speaker 2: We had a guy named Tujo who's also an auscer now, and we found out that it was his birthday, but he kind of knew it was coming, so he went and got tasers from the box, and so as soon as the privates rushed in, he started just tasing the.
Speaker 3: Crap out of the first couple of them.
Speaker 2: Eventually he went down and they got it, and then we put him on a batboard, wrapped him up and and Kate dully to him, put all sorts.
Speaker 3: Of stuff on him, and then paraded him around the camp.
Speaker 2: And that was funny because that was the they were just testing out CST on that deployment, and so we had one and she was horrified because he's naked getting drug around the city and she's just like, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: She was like, oh my god, what have I done?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're shaving the guy's eyebrows off.
Speaker 2: We did that to a guy. I feel bad to this day. I was the squad leader. I watched a team leader do that. To this day, I was just I had actually pulled him most like, hey, like maybe not shave one of his eyebrows off before he goes to ranger school.
Speaker 3: It was like, because he's kind of a representation of us and.
Speaker 2: Right now he looks weird, but yeah, like uh yeah, they found out his birthday and he I just remember the first guy that came in because I was outside watching it because all the team leaders and squad leaders are outside watching all these privates rush in, and that first dude who came in it took it right in the neck and went right down like was I was unconscious for a little bit, and like some of them stopped, and then the team leaders started to be like, why are you stopping, And then they just all rushed in and it was funny because one of the tasers that he had actually ran out of bat he had paid so many guys who had.
Speaker 3: Actually run out of battle.
Speaker 2: So but but yeah, I was that was a really fun deployment too. I think by that time I'd kind of already gotten my feet wet. Went through an entire work up for the deployment.
Speaker 3: So I was getting getting better at being a team Were.
Speaker 1: You a team leader or squad leader around this time?
Speaker 2: So I was a team leader around that time. And then after that deployment, I went into Snipers. So I actually went over to.
Speaker 1: Snot yeah, so tell us a little bit about that. What was the process like for making the transition from the line company to Snipers.
Speaker 3: So Snipers was looking for people.
Speaker 2: I'd actually wanted to get into w REKI because I wanted to go be with my brother and but they had been like, hey, you know, maybe you do something in HC, but you're not going to do We're probably not going to send you over to Wrecky to do that. So I was just say, all right, that's cool, went over to Snipers, got it, you know, they talked it up. I never thought I'd be a sniper. In fact, i'd for a long time, it'd been like, yeah, I don't have the.
Speaker 3: Patience to do any of that. But we did the selection.
Speaker 2: You do another selection to get into Snipers, so you do the r PAT, you do your PET tests, you do your r PAT, and then we would do a group in just to kind of see if you could. Luckily, I was an okay shot. Then I wasn't. I wasn't a great shot by any means, but I was okay, but did well enough to get in and then started getting in, and then they started putting us through almost like a pre Snipers of three something five that you would be in the session and they'd be That's all they're doing is getting you ready for sniper school. So a lot of shooting, a lot of just learning. Mike Pemberton was my pretty much my training partner.
Speaker 3: He was my early.
Speaker 2: Training partner, so and Nick I think had just left as I was getting in there, so kind of the whole Mike.
Speaker 3: You've ever met p Murder.
Speaker 1: I've never met Pemberton, but I've just heard many stories about him from guys over the years. But I'm really happy to hear that. You know, they they had a really good like induction program for you because when I went to snipers, it was kind of like, Okay, you're here. Now we're gonna haze you for a year and you know, maybe we'll teach you something at some point. But I mean I had to wait to go to sniper school to learn my entire job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what's crazy is that you don't learn especially in Regit like what we did was a close in support, Like we were a direct support, so we really didn't as the shooting stuff, which is I think what Regiment really concentrated on was making making accurate shots at distance under pressure was one of our and that was this is before all of the PRS stuff and everything, all that stuff was coming out, But we did we concentrated on that because I think they knew that, uh uh, I think they knew that.
Speaker 3: That's what we did.
Speaker 2: We made, we made we were having to make accurate shots under pressure around an assault course. And so when you go it's funny because when I went to cniper school and then having done a kind of a process to get to what they wanted us to be, and then going to cyper school, I was like, there's two different skill sets, Like of what they're asking us to do, Like this is.
Speaker 1: You're still doing like stocks and gilly suits and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're doing stocks, gilly suits and stuff like that. And but in regimen I'm a You're a direct support for the assault force. I'm trying to make like I'm trying to figure out if I can make this shot like into this building as guys are moving in, and how far off I you know, how far off their barrels I have. Then also too, you're kind of doing a scouting mission. So if the assault force is walking in, uh, you're pretty much up there with the dog.
Speaker 3: I have a funny story about that.
Speaker 2: But it's the skill set is completely different from what sniper school is. But I think you go to others, you go to other schools in the army, and then you you kind of realize that that's more it's more of an assault her mindset there than it is sniper school. But I think everybody should go to sniper school if you're going to be a sniper, because you have to traditionally know how to do the job.
Speaker 1: Did you find that the ranges also were quite a bit shorter in your job as opposed to like I think the you know, kind of the standard at sniper school is shooting out through a thousand meters, but when you're doing direct support, it's more realistically like what three hundred meters at most?
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: It was funny because during the any of the TFTs.
Speaker 2: Or the the vallexies for platoon live fire, you had as far as the optics then could get you, so.
Speaker 3: They could probably get you six hundred.
Speaker 2: So you're you're shooting out, you're making shots up six hundred if you're if Loom would would let you do it, if you had the right optics for it, you could. We were making those shots out to about six hundred, but on mission, Uh, there were sometimes guys that I've heard of guys that were shooting out to like four or five, but nothing really past that because you're really focused in on like a when everybody's going up, you're probably you've climbed a roof and you're sitting on that roof, watching doors, watching windows, making sure that like there's nobody in it, and then making that shot into those windows if you have to. Uh, you really become I think an asset as far as target identification, like hey, this is what you have here, this is what I'm seeing, you know, kind of calling outdoor heights, wall heights, where entries are if things are locked. They used us a lot for that, kind of setting up the assault force to get into the target.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, as overwatch for the assault teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Any other sniper courses that they sent you to where you you know, had some interesting takeaways.
Speaker 2: So I think during that time period that we were going to we did rifles only and then the to the Todd hot Net. We went out there with him because he was he was out in Texas. We did those courses. We really didn't get sent to a lot of like army army courses. I think towards the now the guys go to Subpartik, they go to SODIC, I think, and some of the guys had actually gotten into SODIC. I know Chris Toper who was had been my partner, he had actually turned out to be my partner for the longest.
Speaker 3: Chris had gone to Zoda and done all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's I think it was at the point in time they tried to get you what they could.
Speaker 3: But during that point in the war, like we were we were getting.
Speaker 1: Out, we had we had a we had a couple of guys that they sent to Marine Scott Sniper.
Speaker 3: Man, we did. We had one too, and that's all he talked about. It was rough. It was rough being around him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was just like, oh, it's so great and this is the things they do. And I was just like, when's the last time you billy it up?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: So we were just like and not to take anyway. I think those guys are fantastic. Ye, they are the Again, I think they that school from what I saw later on, really concentrated on skill craft. Like skill craft was their thing.
Speaker 3: Like getting gilling up, how to move.
Speaker 2: And I think the Army, and especially because they were going more towards the like again the rifles only todd Hanet stuff, they were going a lot towards more accuracy.
Speaker 3: They were going to accuracy.
Speaker 2: Start like we were going to accuracy first, We're going to rifles only stuff like that, And that was we were really concentrated on accuracy, getting the ABC's like tuned up and actually pushing that gun to the limit. As opposed to I think from what I saw from Marine Scout Sniper, it was a lot of field craft. We were a lot of shooting and right now, I want to say that Snipers school, that's what it's based off of, is a lot.
Speaker 3: Of technical shooting, which I think is great.
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of what you needed because this day and age we're talking about warfare. Now, a sniper's a dangerous thing, but as far as skilled craft is concerned, like we have thermals, we have.
Speaker 3: Everybody's got thermals. Everybody's got a sorts of things.
Speaker 2: So it's like you can sneak around the woods all you want in a gilly like if that thing doesn't have thermal shielding on it, then you're you're kind of dead in the water.
Speaker 1: And then what was your first deployment, like with snipers, So again.
Speaker 2: Going back to that was another one where it was learning a new skill set, having to readjust my mindset from door kicker, always wanting to get into hey, like, you got to look for you're almost the vanguard, you're ahead of everybody. You got to get into you got to get into good positions, you got to climb, You got to look for where you're gonna climb. And then afterwards, after everything's set, you got to kind of get yourself into a position that you could be able to defend the assault force and make shots, whether that's like you put yourself on BPS or whether you put yourself up on top of a roof or wherever it.
Speaker 3: Is going to be on the target.
Speaker 2: The I always thought the interesting thing about especially being an E five, coming from being a team leader and then being an E five, is that as an E five in regiment, you you kind of get told, hey, this is where you're going to be at, and then you have your left and right limits of the decisions you get to make right there and then on that spot as a sniper, it was it was new to me because I went into mission planning and then I told the peel where I was going to be. I was like, hey, I think i'm I should be you know here, or I think I should travel here in the formation because I have the best of.
Speaker 3: So that was the growing growing up and having that experience.
Speaker 2: But that was I think the learning curve was having to realize that, hey, like now you have real input into this mission set, into this mission planning, especially as a sniper, because you know, you got to decide where you got to think like the enemy, where's that contact going to come from? And where can I place myself best to make the best shots on that to end whatever contact that is as fast as possible. So a lot of you know, you didn't always end up at the VPS. Sometimes you were out of BP. Sometimes you were you on the roof like I said, or you were in you were in some area, or you have to decide. Hey, we had one mission where they decided that the building next to us was higher than the compound, and then we were going to go in, and so we actually went in, made entry, pulled pistols, cleared all the way up top, got on top of it, and then they were like, hey, we don't want to clear back down because we don't know what's down there. We don't have anybody on the bottom floor because we were pulling our own security. So we shimmied down like a pipe, which was probably one of the more sketchiest.
Speaker 3: Things I've done. I did that.
Speaker 2: It was app Did you know Paperella, No Vico Paperella. He's a Now he's a he's also a sargy major. Uh and so, but that was one of the things where he was like a path was a was the platine's sergeant at that time, and I and he had put himself on that mission and he's like, let's go, and we did that, and I was like, this is one of the sketchier.
Speaker 3: Things I've.
Speaker 2: I was just like, and I've done some sketchy that I'd kicked some rocks that were real, suss and this is more sketchier than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in full kit that doesn't sound fun.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it was it.
Speaker 2: But that was one of the things too, is that as a sniper you started kind of learning, like your kids set up, and like what you need and didn't need, and what what was.
Speaker 3: Advantageous for your mission.
Speaker 2: As a team leader, it shoot a preference, but hey, this is this is what you're gonna wear. You're aware all of this stuff, and you got to carry by the way, you got to carry the shotgun, you got to carry.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're you're or yeah, you got a sketch on you.
Speaker 2: And the as a sniper, it was I could tailor my kit to my mission. I could figure out how best what was going to work for me, and they let you do that. I think it's like that's part your learning processes as a team leader, Like you pretty much you're getting told a lot of what to do. You're just like, Hey, you're gonna be here and you're gonna do this, and then like that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. So you're you're like dropping down to a plate carrier and a couple of magazines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, or you're running play carry a couple of magazines, or you're running you're trying to figure out like how you're gonna cary some stuff on your belt differently, or where your radio really needs to be because you don't have all that stuff, so you have a lot more leeway.
Speaker 3: A lot of the time, you know.
Speaker 2: I think one of the biggest things with snipers is that that's where I learned, is like, hey, you don't want a lot of stuff on the front of your plate carrier. You want to be as light as you can on there, because I gotta climb up walls. If you're on a sporter in an addiction, I got to go chase somebody Like that's you know, how hard is that? In full like and if you're carrying everything known to man?
Speaker 1: Any memorable missions from that deployment.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Particularly, I remember one where we almost got left.
Speaker 3: Uh we almost got left for.
Speaker 2: A remain over day because we hit the target really late and then some stuff happened on the target where we were looking for a couple of things, and they were just like, hey, like if we don't get to the HLZ, and like, I think the HLZ was like three k away and I think we had like twenty five minutes to get there.
Speaker 3: And so it was a legit hit run that we just the.
Speaker 2: Entire soft force just running and you could see the sun coming up and everybody's sitting there trying to get everybody like guys are like the gun team's just dying, and so people are trying to take a stuff from the gun team, and I just will I remember that.
Speaker 3: The only reason I remember that is because a snow everywhere.
Speaker 2: It was just the most snow I've ever seen, And a lot of that deployment was like my first deployment with Cyphers was like that. Where we were everything was snowy because we were in deep snow.
Speaker 3: I hopped off one.
Speaker 2: Of the birds on one mission and sunk right and I'm a short guy. I sunk right in the snow and real fares far enough to where it startled me.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I'm gonna get my left in here, and so I took my.
Speaker 2: I took my stifle rifle and I just shoved it up so that somebody could grab it and pull me out, and I was like, don't leave me.
Speaker 3: It was like trying to get somebody on the radio. But I remember.
Speaker 2: That one because the aircrew got onto our net and was like, hey, it's it's negative twenty five degrees.
Speaker 3: Boys, have a nice night, and like thanks, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: But that that deployment was relatively quiet.
Speaker 3: We didn't we got into some stuff. We didn't do anything real crazy.
Speaker 2: It's and it's funny because the relatively quiet for regiment is we'd get into texts, but nothing was ever like you never really thought too much about it. It was the next employment, when I was in Snipers, where I was a senior sniper, that it got.
Speaker 3: It got like real we got into some Harry stuff.
Speaker 1: Where was that?
Speaker 2: So I started out in Shank with BECO, but they weren't doing too many missions and so we had two snipers that were down in Jabad and as they were in Jabad, there was a really bad strike on Jaybad where so two of our guys it was two of our snipers had gone to they were doing something. It was a normal morning and mornings are night, so everybody's getting kind of tying down, getting ready to go, and so they go, they're getting ready for bed and ticks starts off on the Lesion Air. We were on the Lesion Air side of Jabad, and so they're outside the gate. It tick starts, and so a couple of guys run up to the to see what's going on. National Guards on the towers and two of our snipers run up to the tower because they're like.
Speaker 3: Hey, maybe we'll get some maybe we'll get some trigger time.
Speaker 2: And they get up there and one of the national guard it was a girl and she was from the story that we were told by these guys is she was cowering down on the side and because they were shooting out that time, they were putting effective fire on the tower. So one of our guys gets on the machine guns, starts shooting, like, takes the machine gun over, starts shooting the other guys sitting there. He's on his rifle calling out shots and they look down and as soon as they look down, they're like, hey, how long has that box car been here? And as soon as she was just like oh, it pulled up like fifteen minutes before this started, and as soon as they had said that, the boss car blew up ended up throwing both as a sniper kills.
Speaker 3: They get killed. The female throws both the snipers out of.
Speaker 2: The tower and one of the guys was it took it almost took his arm completely off, so uh, it blows a hole inside of on that uh that side of the thing, and the it was elements of it was the seals, elements of the seals, and then the rangers end up fighting over a like four foot hole in the wall trying to push these guys back.
Speaker 3: One of the one of the tyrant, the uh.
Speaker 2: Jay At tax ends up getting like a I want to say, you got like a silver star for call calls in a random flight randomly going by gets them to come and respond to it and actually repels the rest of the attack. So at that deployment we are on that one we lost two guys ended up getting going home because they were both really messed up. So me and Chris get the call and we're down in Shank and they call us up and they're just like, hey, you guys need to head up to a Jabab. So we take their spot down there and then the rest of that deployment was it was a little we had gotten into a lot of ticks. We had been kind of running around Jabad and that was around the.
Speaker 3: Time that you'd be gotten Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: That was just a That was the deployment where I think I kind of learned like.
Speaker 3: Had a maneuver under fire a lot better.
Speaker 2: And then me and Chris are we're still best friends to this day, but me and him like hung around each other as kind of where we learned to trust each other a little bit. Because that platoon like sending the snipers up, and there was one where I'm it was actually was funny because there was two twins in regiment when I came through. When I came through RIP, and there was a they were called the Drafty Brothers and one went to be co woman at SICCO and I went through RIP with both of them.
Speaker 3: Uh, and so we're good friends.
Speaker 2: And one of them's in that platoon with me and they end up sending he's a team were at that time.
Speaker 3: They send me.
Speaker 2: They sent me as a sniper, him and one of the dogs in the one of the canines up and we're operating four or five hundred media and we're walking through a town like in the middle of the night, and we're sitting there but like whispering each other like this is it, this is how it ends. So but kind of the being in that sniper role that kind of that was the deployment where I really got used to it and actually being able to move like it, operate like it, get to that was kind of the identity that I had taken on. And I did snipers for a real long time after that, but yeah, that was that was probably one of the more memorable moments, not in that deployment, and again I go back to memorable moments.
Speaker 3: We were getting the fights every night.
Speaker 2: So it's one of those things where from the first part of my career where I can remember every single firefight that I got in to towards in regiment, it was just so yeah, it was it was just like, oh, you'd be I remember being in one fight and being duck behind a wall, going trading shots and ducking down to reload or just kind of move positions and looking over at one of the guys and be like, what do you think they're serving at midnight?
Speaker 3: Child? Like they get back before this, So it's just that you just became.
Speaker 2: Numb to everything at that point, just how how all that would happen. And and then I think you take that for granted tude when you got new guys in and then you'd see them kind of reacting a different way. You just be like, what's his problem? And it's because he has his his uh you know, ah neurological system hasn't gone like his CNS is not tuned up, like it's not tuned down too, and he's still hopped up on it. So I think that was the Psychologically, I think that was a cool point where you go back to the first part of your career, you think about your first firefight and you're like, I remember what it smelled like. And then you go to the middle of your career and you're just like, I can't even remember this one.
Speaker 3: Like this one blended in with that one, blitted in with this other one.
Speaker 2: It was just really like some of them were just like anti climactic.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, but now now you're learning like the operational art of the job. It sounds like yeah.
Speaker 2: I think at that point, like I was, you always think you're good. But at that point and during with as much as we were doing it, we go back to like Green Bereys and all like that other other like tier T units, railar army units.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: I think we just were better because we did it so much more often. Like every night we went out, we were looking for a fight or we were going to get.
Speaker 3: Into a fight one or the other.
Speaker 2: And so it's the I think it's really that that's what sets us apart from it. So you have the Green Berets, and it's not their fault. They weren't getting into things like that every single night. The operational temp, their tempo wasn't that bad. I think the worst part for them is they were just stuck out all the time because you'd always hear the transmission where they'd be like they're off on their own in the wild way.
Speaker 1: Like doing like three or four day patrols sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as opposed to us, where we were sitting there and like anytime we got into a fight, it was we could just bring the might of everything that we had in country down on top of you, depending on where we were in the mission set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, if you really get into it, I mean a one is going to be overhead.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, we saw one it was my and then that was that was one of the first times, the first time I'd ever seen it was that first deployment was watching in AC one thirty and then the Green Beam of Death that they that they put out there where it's just like playing whack a mole with people is basically all it was doing.
Speaker 3: It's like some guys would pop up.
Speaker 2: We saw a group running parallel to us, and you know, I'm happened Haley, who was one of the gutters. He gets it and he starts firing on them. And as he's firing on them, you see the blinking light and then just it just the ground exploding and disappearing around these people and they're gone. Or you see there the gun go off and the thirty milimeters and it looks like they tossed somebody into a blender.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that was the But then you're on.
Speaker 2: These missions, were like, I don't have to worry about too much because I know somebody's coming for me.
Speaker 3: It's the Green Berets.
Speaker 2: I think that's where I give them a lot of credit, is that like there's times where they they didn't know if anybody was coming.
Speaker 3: They were their exiles, right, So, but yeah.
Speaker 1: And what were your other trips with snipers?
Speaker 3: So I did.
Speaker 2: Man, So I did one more after that and it was too calf lesson So and again that was another one where it was it was me and Chris.
Speaker 3: We kind of just piled around.
Speaker 2: We were out with Biko again and again it was uh, we were just kind of hanging around and getting into these like little tics. But it wasn't I think during that point in time of the war, everything was starting to not wind down but kind of settle into a very At that point in time, the networks, the Hakani network, you know, isis all these people not isis yet, but the precursors to it in now Kaeda were they kind of realized that, like we were the guys that you didn't fight because we would kill you. It was almost better for you to just get captured because then all we were doing is we would we would detain you, hand you off to the Afghans, and then the Afghans would release you and we'd pay you for the pleasure. And so they were kind of figuring that out around that time. So it started to be less fights, not dry holes, but we were actually going in and We're.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, this is the dude, and the dude would we have one.
Speaker 2: We at that deployment where me and Chris climbed, we climbed ladders, were going in and this guy like popped his own him light, threw it out there, had zip cuffs, put a zip cuff on one hand and then worked the other one and then walked out and all the females and males started separating each other.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, hey, it looks like they've done this before. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they build a fire drill.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we were like, they know what's going on here, and the guy just he was like yeah, it was like you know the turp, they get the pequan bit out there, you got the turf out there.
Speaker 3: And then they were like, yeah, he knows we're here for him, and he's ready to go.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So but I think that was the sign of the time of this.
Speaker 1: Was the futility of what we're trying to do over there, like fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was almost the they're just like, it's better off for us to just go with you guys, like because like we were just gonna show up and kill you and we weren't. If we showed up at night to come and get you, that was bad, uh, and you'd rather not just deal with that.
Speaker 3: And so you were still.
Speaker 2: Having i know, the BSOT battlespace owners. The regular army guys were still having a lot of ticks and stuff like that, like small attacks on their cops or other forward operating bases, but they would pretty much like that, pretty much everything was settled into a a even keel low of we thought that we were gonna be. That was what like fifteen, like eighteen years into the war something like that, Like, so like everything is pretty much settled at that point, where just it's we were almost doing like, hey, here's the we killed the last guy in an airstrike, you know two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Here's the new guy. Let's go get him.
Speaker 2: And so it was every time they promoted somebody, we would just either kill them or go get them. And like I said, I think at that point they'd kind of realized that it's it's pretty much better off if we just go get you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the game's rigged.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when you went to uh Europe as an sm was that with Regiment.
Speaker 3: Uh No, So it actually it was almost a detachment off.
Speaker 1: Of s m oh okay, so we'll get to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you got back from that deployment with UH the Calf, you went to the Army Marksmanship unit. Was that the next thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So kind of just like anything else, you get offers to do stuff. And so UH, me and my partner Chris had actually gone there together, went down to the UH.
Speaker 3: I had done some deployment deployment with CICCO.
Speaker 2: Was any six now, had done my squad leader time, and they're just it was an offer that was on the table, and I was just like, yeah, sure that sounds fine. It's on base and that sounds fun. So we went, Me and Chris went down to the instructor training group and we actually were there with other regiment guys.
Speaker 3: A lot of snipers were there.
Speaker 2: There was a couple of Delta guys there, and it was basically they hired people who were.
Speaker 3: To go out to the Army to teach them marksmanship.
Speaker 2: And I always say this, it was like I thought I could shoot when I was in the regiment, I basically didn't. I realized I didn't know anything because they start training you upstairs.
Speaker 3: So I get there, I go through a shoot through. They look at my resume.
Speaker 2: It's almost like applying for a job, and then they say yes or no. So they say yes, and so we immediately we come in and we start training with oh Man, we start training with like Dan Horner, and there's a couple other like Green is there and all these like kind of superstars within the the shooting world is there, and so we start going through all the shooting and I was like, I thought I was a good pistol shooter. I had no idea what I was doing with the pistol until I got there, and you start learning that you don't know what you didn't know, what you didn't know. And I was always like, because I was a I had gone through AR Mike, the Regimental Marximans instructor of course, so I thought I was a good shooter at that point. And then so I get there, I do that and realize that I'm not nearly as good of a shooters. So that's almost the uh kind of work up to what I started doing, especially with sniper stuff. So I did the time with the I TG trained, went around and started teaching regular army units how to how to train. We were we were in charge of teaching iyebullock we're UH or the Infantry Basic UH alsoor course. We started to treat teaching the Captain's Career course guys coming through the starry Major's academies coming through because and I really appreciate this about how regiment does is they want to send guys out to know to get to know things.
Speaker 3: We want to be the best at at our craft.
Speaker 2: So any ranger does and where do you send You got to send them to the guys that are going to know how to do that.
Speaker 3: So we started. We learned to shoot really well. And when I mean, we learned to shoot like we were shooting every day.
Speaker 2: They had a really cool program where I could go to their bunker with my gun. I'd signed my guns out from my cage. I would walk over to the bunker and we'd walk up and be like, oh, yeah, I want two grand of five five six and I need you know, four grand of nine zero, and then I would take that and I would go and shoot all day long, just all day.
Speaker 3: So it was great.
Speaker 2: Just that, but you learn the skills of actually marksmanship, of how to run a gun, how to hold a gun. All the small nuances of footwork when you're shooting, and that really, I think is something that Regiment later on took back home and said, there's like one of the biggest things we got taught from Amy was that shooting marksmanship combat shooting is almost like a martial art.
Speaker 3: There's footwork involved in this.
Speaker 2: There's where you place your foot, where you place your hand, the little movements that you make with your head, those all come into play, and that's something that you all have to train so that you can optimally take targets down and make good shots on good shots on a body.
Speaker 3: And so we took all of.
Speaker 2: That out we went and we were giving that to the Army because, like I said, coming out of Regiment, I thought I knew how to shoot.
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the Army holistically, there's a lot of NCO's officers who think it's sarga Majors who really think that they're very good at shooting, and they are not.
Speaker 3: They were not the best.
Speaker 2: And so having an instructor training group like that to go out to the Army to actually do that was great.
Speaker 3: One of the notable things I did.
Speaker 2: Is I was the NCUIC for the X seventeen which became the seventeen the project. So I went down to Aberdeen and I actually did a lot of the testings for that. And while I was in the am you, me and Chris also shot international stipher together. So it's really cool, my partner from Regiment, we both go over to AMU and then we both shoot an international stiper which.
Speaker 3: Was a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, but I really appreciate my time in AMU because that's where I learned to do to actually enjoy the skill craft, the craft of marksmanship, and then that actually carried me over and kind of the rest of my career.
Speaker 3: That's what I ended up teaching and being known for wherever I went.
Speaker 1: And how did that take place that you went from a MU to the s fab Uh.
Speaker 3: So I went through some stuff personally, as most rangers do.
Speaker 2: A marriage fell apart, and I'm from Texas and so the closest place in Texas is is or the closest base in Texas is Fort Hood.
Speaker 3: So there's an stab standing up at Fort Hood, asked.
Speaker 2: A favor, uh, and they let me come, They let me leave and come kind of the follow my family. So so as soon as I got into that, it's actually a strange place because there's a lot of rangers. If there's a ton of rangers, they're not the not RFS rangers. It's guys who were like, oh, hey, I need to get out to do something else. I need to go somewhere else and do for whatever reason they had. So I ended up in there in the STAB and started doing pretty much to control of a martianship program there, got a team and started running that, and that's how I ended up in the European Deployment.
Speaker 1: Do you want to tell folks out there what the s FAB was?
Speaker 2: So the SAB is a is pretty much a Security.
Speaker 1: Forces and Advisory Battalion.
Speaker 2: Advisory battalion, so we would go to partner forces and we would advise them on how to do it. So they're really big into troop leading procedures, operations procedures.
Speaker 3: We were teaching.
Speaker 2: At first, I think it started when it first got kicked off, guys were doing low level.
Speaker 3: Taxes, almost like an SF job without having been SF.
Speaker 2: But then they kind of started taking When I got there, it was more strategic levels. So it was battalion. It was a battalion and brigade up for the partner forces. So yeah, how to move formations, how to actually be able to get your equipment and sustainment out to that was one of the big things. They would send you to sustainment courses and they had for each operate, uh, for each level in operation they had their we had a counterpart for us, so whether that be intelligence, So each part of the operations order we would have like we had an intelligence guy, we had a sustainment guy, we had a command and control guy, we had a maneuver and so they would take people from each part of the army who were subject matter experts in that and then they would put them in those positions to be able to advise other units. So essentially it was taking I don't want to say it was taking work from s SF, but it was taking the.
Speaker 3: The strategic level work from it.
Speaker 2: So now they wouldn't have to put people strategically in their commands. There could be this this overarching and it wasn't for I think special forces kind of had their knit their their thing and in special in a special operations mindset, this was a big like we were.
Speaker 3: A big army mindset. We were like, hey, like this is how you put an army together.
Speaker 1: There's there's another organization I believe it's called SMATCO that Yeah, were did I mean, did you guys dovetail with them at all? Uh?
Speaker 2: We ran around with them, but we weren't. We never really liked work work with them, but we we would be in commonplaces.
Speaker 1: Because those are like, as I recall, that organization would have like, here's our expert on the Bradley fighting vehicle and they'd send them to like a country like Ukraine and be like, teach these guys how to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and that's what I said, is I think that's taking that You're starting to take it down more.
Speaker 3: We were more in the end of the operations.
Speaker 2: So like when we would set guys over, it was just like, hey, here's how it comes up to defense, Like this is how we defense, this.
Speaker 3: Is how we do offense, this is how we do route reconnaissance.
Speaker 2: And we would take that and we would have our uh whoever our counterpart was, we would be training them on that portion of it.
Speaker 3: So generally, your maneuver guy was a infantry guy.
Speaker 2: Generally your sustainment guy was somebody who did sustainment at whatever.
Speaker 3: Brigade he was at, he did a high level brigade operation. So it's.
Speaker 2: That's where we were going. I know that's where Scot was going with it. I think they're kind of coming away from that now though I know they're closing down a lot of them.
Speaker 1: But when you were there, you were the sniper sme. I take it well.
Speaker 2: They had they had stuff that was going on, they got requests for things that were going on, and so I was a sniper. I've done all this stuff and as as much as I was that, I had done a lot of shooting too. It was funny because when I got sent over there, I competed in the European Best Warrior while I was there, so they actually pulled me out to go to Germany to do European Best Warriors. So i do European Best Warrior there, but I'm not allowed to win it, which.
Speaker 1: Was funny that they did.
Speaker 2: They told me there was like, hey, you're competing, but this is more for for us to get our name out there, not for you to like, you can't specifically win because you have to be the European Best Lawyer has to be in a unit that's currently stationed like home stationed in in Europe. So I go there and I do the whole dance, which was it was fun but like I got uh, I got top shot and I did really well in combatives, got taught and I got the top shot out of the thing.
Speaker 3: It was out of the competition.
Speaker 2: It was funny because when they were giving the award, they were like, hey, no surprise here.
Speaker 3: Uh you know a SAR first class. I'll say it blue y'all out a little with the shooting. And so it was funny because.
Speaker 2: During the quall, I was really cocky at that point in time because I knew I was winning. I got down and they have this known distance range with an F and it's iron sights and the fort and so you have so many shots and I was knocking all of them down. I was just out there. I was just like bam down, down, hitting all of them. I was like, this is super easy. Hit the last one out at four hundred. And as soon as I do it, I immediately like unload my rifle. I'm like yeah, and the cadre looks down at me and he's like target up and I look out and I had like the last round I had I had ejected the magazine's empty. I'd ejected this round. It falls on the floor. I look out and this pop just goes just right up and it's like it's the It's like one hundred meters popper. I immediately reached down, grab the bullets, shove it in finger, put my finger in the magazine. Well, slammed the bolt shut, and then fire from almost the shoulders. I wasn't even on the stop. Thing goes down and I immediately go, yeah, stand up in the It was funny because the cadre was there's like, I've never seen anything like that.
Speaker 3: He's like that's he was like, that was crazy.
Speaker 1: So you kicked ass the first couple of days, and then the last day you had to go get drunk off your ass and not show up so that you lost the thing.
Speaker 3: Oh man, No, it was the road March. I didn't prepare it at all for it. So I came in top of the pack, but not first, but so they did.
Speaker 2: I'll give it to him. Like the way they put this competition on was good. There was an unknown event at the end of the competition after the road March. We all knew that, so I was just like, man, I was like, it's probably gonna be an O course or something weird like that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I can handle a course.
Speaker 2: Came in probably top middle of the pack, not great, but not terrible. Like in true Ranger fashion, I'm like, I'm kind of sprinting the whole time, and I got like short little legs because I'm a three seven five Ranger and all of us are tiny. And so we get to the end and as we're getting in, they'd made us have a uniform on the very top of our our ruck. So I get in and they go, hey, go inside. As you get in, it's immediate. It's like as soon as everybody gets in there, like go inside to the gym, get into that new uniform, and then you guys are going to line up underneath the stadium steps.
Speaker 3: And they're like, all right, so.
Speaker 2: We go and do it real quick. And they were like, they give us something like ten minutes to do. So we get dressed, we go out there. Well, as soon as we go out there, you walk out and they're introducing everybody and there's a mat on there and they've got shin guards and gloves and it's a round robin combative tournament and it is you can do, you can kick, and it was fists, you can do fists to the body, and it was open handslaps and we had so it was a European Best Warrior.
Speaker 3: So it was a lot of it was a little bit of everybody.
Speaker 2: There's females with US one hundred and ten pound females and they were It was a round robin fight, so we're like, we're going out there, We'll watching like a chick get picked up and hucked across this mat on one match and then everybody had to fight each other, uh and so like, and it was right after a rough march and I was just like it was I think it was like my third or fourth match.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I'll give it to them. This sucks, Like.
Speaker 2: This is rough, Like I'm so tired of fighting this guy. Uh, but I was. It was it was an experience. Uh.
Speaker 3: That was a really good experience.
Speaker 2: And that whole deployment was a good experience being able to work with a Eastern European Army who uh like didn't have the.
Speaker 3: Equipment but definitely.
Speaker 2: Had the guys like the the want and then the want and to know how without the equipment and then kind of showing us how we showing them how we do things, and then showing them how they do things.
Speaker 3: And it's a completely different mindset.
Speaker 2: Like we talked earlier about like the close in support, like direct support for assault forces.
Speaker 3: That's not a thing to them.
Speaker 2: Then when we when they talked ciphers, Eastern Europeans talk like like old.
Speaker 1: Time, Yeah, we're shooting a Nazi general from the bell tower of a church.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you're expelling like you know, back to your lines or you're you're in it. Like they We did one scenario where we talked about we they had it on their actual compound where they had a bell tower and it was like, hey, you're gonna shoot from this belt markets from this bell tower and they were just like yeah, so we go over mission planning because that's our job, like all right, so how would you do this? And they're like oh no, it's like so what's your excell plan? And he's like xill I was like no, I get it. Yeah there. I was like you're on a bell tower. You're probably not getting out of that tower. Like maybe you should make some kind of plan or maybe we don't even do it from this bell tower like.
Speaker 3: So uh that was that was a really really cool experience.
Speaker 2: And then just the ability to travel Europe because in regiment you don't really do that a lot. It was all it was all mission missions, mission, and we were the only place we went to is you know, bad third world countries.
Speaker 3: Uh. And they got a lot.
Speaker 1: Of opportunities to meet women in the range of regiment.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not not even a little bit. And then you go to this other place and it's like it's you know, Germany.
Speaker 3: It was oh man. Uh the base was m K and that was in Romania.
Speaker 2: And I always tell people, I was like, hey, if you want uh, if you want a good vacation for bottom dollar, go to Romania.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna have a lot of fun. We had. It was it was bad.
Speaker 2: There was like a beach there that was a topless beach and so like, you know, nobody was that unit that was there. Nobody was ever there. Like we were like, hey, it's so, you know Wednesday, where is everybody. It's in the summer, Like, oh, they're all on the beach, Like of course they are. What kind of peta we're doing? We're doing beach pt cool?
Speaker 1: Hey, ask the Secret Service about Moldova out there.
Speaker 3: I have a buddy that I work with now.
Speaker 2: One of the guys that I work now on the team is h He's an X for Service guy, and I always give him hell about Columbia.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Colombia, Like, you know, I'll just.
Speaker 3: Pay the hookers so they won't tell on you.
Speaker 1: My understanding was that was kind of like a setup, like it's a scam where like the girl pretends that she's just a normal girl that wants to sleep with you, and then you get to the hotel room and it's like, oh, but yeah, you got to pay me.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah. I would have been like, I just get out and here's some money. I'm gonna pay you to leave.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's a five spot, see you later.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys, I was like F like s F like those guys like constantly getting the Seventh Group man's constantly getting in trouble.
Speaker 1: I know, I.
Speaker 3: Always give I think you know Alejandro.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Me and him are good friend Like me and him are good friends. Every time I go to Colorado, we stop and visit him. But uh, and I talked to him all the time but I always give him that. I was just like, yeah, man, it's like a ranger, a ranger in a green Berets, Like, sounds like you might have had a hooker problem.
Speaker 1: So after or no, you're still in the s FAB and you got deployed to h Orbil.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my last deployment was in uh A Rebel Iraq and we were working hand in hand with the courage.
Speaker 3: So at that point I.
Speaker 2: Kind of worked my way and being a sniper, I think everybody kind of says that there was just like, oh, you're kind of like a you're, you know, scout intel guy, you know stuff about intel. And then I went to a school or two and then I found myself as the chief intel guy for my UH for the s FAB in a Rebel. So apart from a lot of the stuff was I wouldn't call it humid stuff that we were doing, it was a lot of checking in on guys. And then that's kind of where I learned a lot about the culture.
Speaker 1: Like liaison, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: A liaison because we were definitely we were being used by a their entities to collect to give up like good information. So there was a lot of entities that we'd get downloads from they'd be like, what did you see?
Speaker 3: What'd you do? Okay, I need you to ask for this when you go back. I needed to do this.
Speaker 2: There's points where we were pretty much running sources just because we were very in with the Kurds and so we talked a lot to them, and like I said, like we try, like as as as we are an army, we trust people to a point. But then we're also keeping tabs on everybody too, So that's a lot of what we were doing. So we had our side reports that we were writing, kind of collecting on other people, which was a super interesting job, especially for a ranger, because I'm going out there and I'm just like okay, Like you know, we'd go and look at their storehouses. One of us pair up like peel off and go look out what they had, and then you compare it to numbers what they actually said, and you'd be like, this dude just lying. And then not only are they lie, he's asking us for more stuff. And it was funny because one day I asked one of the our Curdish counterparts, it was like, what are you getting ready for? I was like, like, you got enough? I was like, you got enough at weapons in there to kickstart the next war. I was like, so what is it? And he was just like, oh, y'all are leaving soon. And he's like straight up looking at me and phase he's like, he's like, as nice as you guys are. It's like, y'all are going to be here for very much longer. And he's like, and then the curbs are going to be left alone like Kurdistan's can be.
Speaker 3: They called it Curtis Dan.
Speaker 2: Nobody else wanted to call it that, but they were like, the curves are going to be left alone and we're going to have to fight him. And I was just like, there's a point where I was like, now you're right, yeah, OK, fair enough man?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And it's always like one of those things we're like, man, could you guys not like start a war with the Arabs at least swallow here please?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like and then so it was funny because that was right when I think the precursor to what's going on and ran was going on then because we had an ICBM like alert, we all had to get in.
Speaker 3: They were like, hey, is this is this?
Speaker 1: When we smoked Solamani and then they fired missiles.
Speaker 2: They fired they fired an I C B M and they were like.
Speaker 3: Everybody get to a bunker.
Speaker 2: And I was like why because it's like, you know, we should really just get on top of one of these uh one of these cheers and enjoy enjoy what we.
Speaker 3: While we can.
Speaker 2: But it's it's that deployment kind of as far as my military career is concerned, uh, really kind of opened my eyes.
Speaker 3: I know people get into a lot cooler stuff.
Speaker 2: But like having a career kind of like that, Yeah, you're in like this intel world of you're playing like I was playing checkers and now I'm I'm watching chess getting played with everybody, and it was it's it's funny to come from kind of that to be able to see all of that in a career.
Speaker 3: Uh uh just very odd.
Speaker 2: Like I said, there were times where I was listening to things and I was just like this should be in a book. I was like sometimes somewhere like this is like the truth is strangers in fiction.
Speaker 3: Like as much as we can.
Speaker 2: Write about things and make these stories up, it's like stranger things are happening.
Speaker 1: Any stories like that that you can tell or that you can share one of.
Speaker 2: My favorite stories was me and my partner got sent out to with some other agency guys to talk to two people and it was because we were the only ones around, so they were just like.
Speaker 3: Hey, we need you to go look at this.
Speaker 2: It ended up being two Russians that had stuff there, face full of they were trying to get in. They had fake accents. They were trying to use fake accents saying they were from Tennessee, but in.
Speaker 3: A really bad way.
Speaker 2: And what they were trying to do is they had gotten a bunch of dip and they were putting in their mouth. They trawl in their mouth so that they would they were spitting and trying to do it.
Speaker 3: One of them never done.
Speaker 2: It before, throwing up everywhere, yeah, and cursing and Russian like they all they were the gay guards like, hey, you don't come and talk to these people. And we go over there and just like oh, and immediately it was what you think.
Speaker 3: They were trying to gain access to the camp and get on.
Speaker 2: But we had a lot of stuff like that going on because our offices were outside of camp, Like we weren't on or Bil. We were out and we were out in the town, so we were like constantly going we were in civilian clothes going around doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Russian SVR has a station out there in Kurtistown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we knew, and we knew exactly where it was to.
Speaker 2: So but the having been, the having been there and to see all of that and others other stories of you were watching international play happen kind of right there, like Portugal, like and you can't I can't really get into a lot of it, but you know, in twenty five years, maybe.
Speaker 3: I can write a book about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's the.
Speaker 2: Being going from like like I said, what we were talking before, going from the start of the war, me getting there as a as a nineteen year old and being bagdad fighting and stuff like that, and then the end of my career. I think one of the times I was sitting on.
Speaker 3: Top of the.
Speaker 2: One of the airfield, not bunkers, but we'd climbed up on top of the oh gosh, I'm trying to remember. It was the hangars and we were there was a group of us sitting there smoking cigars on a hangar, and I was just like it was I didn't know at the time that that was going to be my last apployment, but I knew I was coming towards the end, just I had a back injury and it had it progressed to the point where I didn't know if I.
Speaker 3: Was going to be able to keep going, and I was up on the eight list.
Speaker 2: It was just like I knew it was that I was like, hey, my time's coming close to the end of this. So standing up there on the again, going back to that, like you take snapshots of your service and the times you bad stuff, and you think about like from the time from the firefights to the guys laughing, to watching sunrises come up over the like Hindu cush or you know, being watching suns go down, like the sun go down over Baghdad by the Babylon gates, or doing all of that and then being cursed, and you know, being on the over by the Iranian border, but watching looking down and out of the mountains and seeing how gorgeous it is. And then I think one of the last things I remember is being like on that hangar and smoking a cigar, watching DC rams go off and being like this was cool. This was a this was a cool experience, and realizing that like the things that you touch through it. Maybe it didn't affect so much, but it affected a lot to you. So I think that's that was kind of the the endcap to my military career.
Speaker 1: And when you got home, you went through the med board process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I went through med board. It's the worst thing I think you can ever do.
Speaker 3: The What was rough about that was I thought I had more left in me.
Speaker 2: I was still doing a bunch of stuff. I like, I think I was in my I was like thirty six. I did Best Ranger at like thirty six, thirty seven years old. Shit, and I still had I was still doing a lot of stuff Like I was still going out and training, running across it. I'd gotten into jiu jitsu and I started competing in jiu jitsu, and I was just like man, I got a ton. But there would be times where I couldn't get out of bed and I had to call somebody to my house to be like, hey, I need you to come and help me out of bed. And so I've been getting shot to my l or my s it's like L five S one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'd.
Speaker 2: Been getting up a durals for a long time, and when we were in reveal, we've gotten into a little car wreck.
Speaker 3: We were with the Brits.
Speaker 2: You know, crazy crazy Iraqi drivers don't know how traffic circles work. I want to go in the wrong way, hit our hit my car. Back was a little messed up after it, and I was like, I'll be fine, I'll get back and it'll be good. I was on the E eight list, you know, getting ready to look at where I was going to go next, what I was going to do next, and I was actually looking at selection another selection and doctor comes in.
Speaker 3: He's like, I've done all the X rays and stuff.
Speaker 2: And she comes in and she's like, hey, she's the first thing she says, it's like, do you do you want to walk when you're sixty? It's like, what kind of question is that? Yeah, I want to walk when I'm sixteen. She's like, okay, then you're done, Like you'r mean back med board. We're recommending med board right now. We're going to start going through the process and you're in, You're essentially you're finished. And I was just like that took that took a little bit too kind of internalize.
Speaker 1: That moment, didn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't ready for that. I was just like I didn't think I was going to do.
Speaker 2: In fact, I've made a promise to my ex wife that I was going to die at my desk so that she didn't get into retirement. So I was like, I was, I was fully intending on following through with that. So uh, you know, I had that had kind of taken taken me aback a little bit. But then at that point I met somebody. She was in Dallas, and I was just like I was over the moon for her, and so I was just like, Okay, maybe this isn't too bad. Kind of started getting the feeling that I was on my way out trying to make peace with it, and then started trying to like make those plans, but the Army makes it really hard to make plans for that, so eventually they approved it.
Speaker 3: I got out.
Speaker 2: What I will say is the Army does need to do a better job and TAPS the Regiment does a fantastic job. I will say that regiment is I think one of the and that's just because now I work a little bit with them, But the Ranger for Life program and the way they do it is so much better for rangers in general. I didn't have that option at that point, or I had the option. I just I think there was a point time where I was in a little bit of a denial. I was like, well, maybe this won't go through, And then it came to a point in time where I was just like, oh no, it's something to leave now, like you're you're done, so yeah, med boarded out started my transition. The transitions probably, like I said, one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. It's I can see where guys just self disrupt at the end of it day as you come from, you're coming from like me, I think I have seventy one months deployed, seventy one two, seventy five months deployed overseas, and it's that was like, you can't tell me that like at nineteen, like when my front of love is not even really developed yet at nineteen. This is the way life I learned. And then at the end of it say hey, thanks for playing, talk to you later. Yeah, And then all of a sudden, one day you find yourself and like, I'm not that thing anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not ranger. I'm not a ranger. I'm not a I'm not operating in AUSTR environments anymore.
Speaker 2: There's no next deployment for me, and I think that's kind of what took a long time too, even when I got out. So I got out, actually I did the very private thing. I feel like when I got out of I did everything in one year. So I I guess I've met somebody I was over the moon for. We kind of we have a very that's an interesting story, and that's something i'm kind of I'm writing about now because of how funny that was.
Speaker 3: But got married, moved, blended families.
Speaker 2: Bought a house all in that year that I got out of here, like right before I got out of the army, and that got out of the army, so it was that probably didn't help the situation any much more, but just going through it and having to realize that that wasn't me and then find a new purpose.
Speaker 3: So that was the that was the hard part.
Speaker 1: I mean, how did that come about? You mentioned to me that you worked in project management for like six months and that helped teach you what you didn't want to do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't recommend for men of our ilk and people men of our stature, and I'm gonna say men of action, I don't recommend going to be a project manager. Like that's the like you gotta kind of be dishonest. Everybody everything's from was better. And then like you're like, yeah, this building may fall down, but like I got it done under budget.
Speaker 1: You know, we got a lot of that here in New York City.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah. And so I hated it. I hated when I realized what it was, I was just like, this is not for me. And I would go to work and just dreaded it. I would I tell my I'd wake up and tell my wife. I was like, I don't want to go to work today, Like I really don't. And then you know, being learning that like nobody was gonna yell at me if I didn't go to work, it was fun because then I would just be like, you know what, I'm not going to work and I don't have to give you a reason why.
Speaker 3: And so that was the that was the funny part of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: And it was fun because I was working with one of my best friends, Anthony Willstrom, who's a mentor in jiu jitsu for me, and me and him kind of worked together a little bit too and we.
Speaker 3: Had those conversations all the time.
Speaker 2: I was just like, man, I was just like, what would happen if I just, you know, broke my leg and didn't show up. He's just like, you don't have to go that far. Just don't just don't show up. So you got into that and really learned that that's not where I wanted to be or what I wanted to do. I wanted a little bit more purpose in uh, in my life. So kicked around being a cop. Talked to my dad, who's he's a dollar he retired Dallas police officer, and he's like, don't be a cop right now.
Speaker 3: And he's like, it's rough.
Speaker 2: He's like, and you you stand a good chance of going to jail, like more than youbody else else, just because of our service. Talk to some other guys and it's like, I think, especially coming from where we came from, violence is a thing that we do well, and it's our spoken language. And so with normal beat cops, that's something that they have to learn over time. When you put a guy like us in it, and we already know it, our threshold for I'm going to kill you is so much lower, and so when it's the when that threshold is lower, you're you. I think we don't understand why like the you know, this guy pulls out a knife and I blasted him, Like but I did it, like I shot him twenty times instead of like the cursory three or four and.
Speaker 1: You'll comply and the night stick is coming out.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, Like it's that like ooh a fight like I'm in today. So it was funny because my dad was just like, hey, maybe that's not something you want to get into right now.
Speaker 3: And honestly, I still kick that around a little bit. Mike. Uh.
Speaker 2: My wife is in law enforcement. She's in federal law enforcement, and so you know, she's always the one kind of telling me. She's just like, yeah, maybe maybe not that. I think maybe we don't get see this month. So learning that though from the project manager point and then trying to figure out what I wanted to do, I got really lucky and stumbled into what I'm doing now. And so essentially that is I work for Allegiance Project Security, and it is a company security company.
Speaker 3: That takes veterans and we try to put them into schools and churches.
Speaker 2: Which is It's funny because after Yuvaldi happened. I remember talk having a conversation as an AMU, having a conversation with my partner Chris, and it was just like, hey, what like we should put like special operations guys in like they don't want to be cops or anything like that, they should we should stick them into schools. Well, Matthew Easter, who's the president and the owner of the company, had that idea. He's not a special operations guy. He's never been in the military, he never did anything like that. What he does have is a wife that's a teacher that he's worried about. And he was just like, why aren't we taking these guys who already did this and put them into these schools and churches. And it's funny because I say that when I think about Yuvalde in situations like that, because now it's my job to think about those security risks in schools, in churches and Red Team that take that intelligence background Red teamate and say what would I do if I was if I really wanted to cause damage?
Speaker 3: What would I do?
Speaker 2: And I take Valdi as a I always tell the story around people, but people were talking to I take Valdi and what I take from that is it's not that police officer's fall. He learned that he was not about that life at that door, at that breach, we've realized that's not what he's built for. What now kind of the mission is is to take guys that are built for that.
Speaker 3: They pretty much.
Speaker 2: Did a year years in their lifetime of running through doors, and not only that, but made that decision of life or death, like, hey, I could die in this room. Because you remember what they told us when we were doing ct BE and stuff like that. They're like, you're running into a room with four guys, like four or five guys.
Speaker 3: You're running in a group.
Speaker 2: With four or five guys on your team, and then a room with a couple of guys who have guns. Somebody is getting shot, somebody's getting killed, and there's a really good chance that a lot of you are are getting shot in that room.
Speaker 3: So that when I say that it's not that CoP's fault is because he had that thought right at that door.
Speaker 2: We had the probably the same thoughts that we did during training where you kind of internalize it. You're like, oh God, but we got indoctrinated into it. We lived it. We were that's that we understood that was our purpose. Like we our purpose was to run into doors, like run into danger, run into doors.
Speaker 3: We were going to breach that threshold. We were going to jump out of that airplane.
Speaker 2: So the question of life and death never stopped entering our mind, and it was like how do I get in here and how do I stop the threat? So that's what this this organization basically does is we're trying to take guys like that usher them into civilian life by easing them into it, not taking everything away that they are, not taking the gun away from them, and not taking the brotherhood away from them, not taking that culture away from them, and slowly kind of saying hey.
Speaker 3: Like you're not running through those doors.
Speaker 2: There's not This isn't a TST right now, could be, But what your job is is we're going to give you that new mission to protect these children, protect these churches. Once you do that, like you start kind of easing them into it, and then eventually the point of the whole thing is for that guy one day to say, hey, I'm done. I think I got it out of my system. I think I've transition.
Speaker 3: Enough to stone.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it's almost like, essentially we're drug addicts when you leave the regiment, when you leave the military, I'm an adrenaline junkie.
Speaker 3: I still do it. I fight.
Speaker 2: I go fight people on my off time for competition because I like it, because I like the way it makes me feel. I'm a drug addict as far as like that adrenaline. I'm always looking for that next rush, that next thing. We are all like that, and you got to kind of step yourself down on it, so you never just take a dude off cold turkey. And essentially that's why I have a problem with the taps in the military.
Speaker 3: The way they do.
Speaker 2: Offloading of in retirements and pushing people out of the army is they essentially just drop you off at the bus stop and say, hey, good luck man.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: Getting into that though, has really kind of made me really kind of given me that new purpose. And then aside from that, I do the mercenary thing. I'm a gun for hire. I I always tell guys will have gun, will travel. I've done a lot of executive protection work, done some overseas stuff, and that's I think for a lot of US and especially rangers and special operations, that's where we end up there, not because we want to, but because that's what we know.
Speaker 3: And I know a lot of guys that do a good job in the transition.
Speaker 2: I just stepping away from and it's always been one of those things where it's it's hard to do.
Speaker 3: And I'm only a year out, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm still in that point where I'm not looking for a fight, but still kind of stepping myself down from it.
Speaker 1: I totally get it, man, And I mean, like you said, you're a year out from retirement, and I mean, I swear to god, I was only in the army for eight years, but it took me at least another eight years to like de army myself. You know, it becomes something else and do something else. So for a guy like you, you know, somebody that did twenty years or whatever, it's it's just fundamentally a part of who you are. Like you said, I mean, it's you can't really deny it. You know, that's that's who you are.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're ever going to really get away from it either.
Speaker 2: Like I tell my wife all the time, I was like, I still have dreams, and I dream in green sometimes I dream I dream a runoff for ramp. I dream and you know White fosph is like I dream in those colors. Yeah, in those places that I don't think they'll ever leave you. I think I think that will always be a part of us. And it's just a figuring out how to to combine those worlds.
Speaker 3: If that's what you want to do. There's some guys that get out.
Speaker 2: Colend Master is a farmer, uh, you know, and he was he was in Beko for a long time, did a lot of stuff. That guy's a farmer now. Uh. One of my buddies, Chris.
Speaker 3: He's uh.
Speaker 2: I would say like I used to say that that that guy killed more people than played.
Speaker 3: And he's a therapist now. It people. There's people who do well at it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people go into a profession because they're trying to warn it for themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and I got that's definitely that is. That is definitely Chris. And he's another one that he got injured at.
Speaker 2: Just the the beating that your body takes out of it from a lifetime of that, you're not gonna be able to sustain it.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna be able to keep going. There's a point where your body's going to fail you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So it's the I think for guys like us, the most important thing is and again that's what Allegianus Project Foundation does is we're trying to offer you where we try to offer the guys a community again to say, hey, don't step away like wet. Every ranger that I ever knew that killed themselves isolated themselves. It was a they They took themselves from the path. They decided that they were going to do it by themselves and then never made it. And we don't make it through Rangers fool by ourselves. We never made it through this deployment by ourselves. So I don't understand why guys think that you're going to make it through the rest of this by yourself.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: So well, three rangers, Allegianus Projects Foundation, both of them are offering that tribe. We're a tribe special especially in special operations and the big armies of their own tribe or whatever service that you did. You have that tribe in there. And then I have friends, I have really good friends that are seals that I met here and they're their own tribe. They have their own jokes. And then we have Green berets. They're their own tribe. They have their own jokes Rangers where we have our own tribe. We're all tribal and we stay within those. But especially when you get out, it's important that I don't have rent friends that are just ranger. I don't just stick around with rangers because I never find them. There's not They're feming far between out here. Most of us are scattered. I have friends that are seals and we sit around and talk about everything anything. So finding originations a that's I think one of the biggest things that's helped me.
Speaker 3: It's fine because I was in a deep dark hole too.
Speaker 2: My wife, God bless her, she married me and probably at the worst the furthest down I could be at that point. And so but finding a finding those communities, getting with those trips, getting with your tribe, find your tribe, find the other special operations guys, and then fight off the drop done together, which is now life. And then the other thing too, is that like a lot of these guys, I don't know what it is, we get divorced like it's going out of style.
Speaker 3: Just maybe that's the ranger way.
Speaker 2: But realize that like you've made mistakes of your life and to find that person, like you said my wife, I met her. This is actually a really funny story and something I'm writing about. But we met on Hinge, and I'm not afraid to say that, like I was getting out kind of new, I was coming back to Dallas. So I get on Henge. We get meet on Hinge and we meet each other. And it's funny because at the time I was still working kind of some of the intel piece and her Hinge profile said it said like law something like that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what that meant. And so we start meeting.
Speaker 2: We start talking and through conversations we're not being one percent open with what we are, but you can kind of tell.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 2: So I go to the first date Hugger uh realized that there's a gun on her.
Speaker 3: And so when I helped you brought a gun to the date.
Speaker 2: I was like, there's a gun. There's I was like, there's a gun. I was like, maybe it's just super two A or something. Uh And like I was like, this is Dallas, you know maybe, And so we sit down and we start talking and I start realizing from training I'm in I'm in an interrogation like it is going.
Speaker 3: It is going exactly a rig. Yeah, it's immediately it was like, oh no, like who is she? What is this? What have I gotten?
Speaker 2: And myself into uh And so I start going through your usual like what they train you. You like, you start answering with one words, asking like a certain qudits like if you're going to ask questions, you're asking questions, and then you know, if they say anything, it's you know, deny, deny, deny, make counter accusations.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, you're gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're ready to karate chopper in the neck and run.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like sitting there looking at exits being like, all right, so how am I getting out of here?
Speaker 3: I was like, cause she's definitely armed.
Speaker 2: And so through the course of this date, we're kind of very subversive and during the speaking to each other, just texting. Meanwhile, I don't know that later on I find out behind the scenes, like an entire dossier is getting made about me.
Speaker 3: She's like open sourcing me. She's looking up all this stuff.
Speaker 2: She's found a video that was in that I'd made an AMU like years before, about like teaching. And so we start going through the song and dance, and there's a point where at the end of it, I was just like, yeah, I was like, I think you're something else, and she was just like, I think you're something else.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I was like, I am in the Army.
Speaker 2: I was like, I work in tell stuff, and I was like, I'm a I'm a ranger. I was like, I was a ranger, and she goes and she just comes out with it. She's like, oh, yeah, I'm federal law enforcement. So then that starts the whole thing where we've we kind of have grown in that where I did all that. I made a mistake one time where we were we were talking and I hadn't sent her this, but this picture showed up late. It was at Halloween, and I was like, oh, I'm a Navy seal. And apparently so many Navy seals have said that their Navy seals here that and as far as dating is concerned that, she was just like, oh, yeah, she.
Speaker 3: Another Navy seal.
Speaker 2: Go great, you know that joke that there's you know, a thousand Navy seals and I've all I've met all seven thousand of them.
Speaker 3: So she kind of went through that almost dropped me off the app.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of cool because I found somebody who understands the work, understands me.
Speaker 3: Uh, And then we actually started.
Speaker 2: She's a firearms instructor too, and so we actually trained together. She got me into the police Week thing where I went in and got to shoot with her in armor.
Speaker 3: We did some stuff and so I have this picture.
Speaker 2: It's pretty funny where we're sitting on a car, a shot up car, and it says I have the black box over our eyes and mindsets MRK. And her says then, so it's uh, but the stories too that I think we're hard on ourselves in our lives. As a ranger, you're you're always you're so hard. You know, you're so hard that you don't find the connections and you don't connect with somebody. And so I think as far as finding your tribe, finding your community, the other like important things is like find that person, like find that person for you, because we do. We do a lot of damage to ourselves in our relationships. In while we were in the regiment, we we put everything first, like you everything, nothing circumvented the mission, nothing certain.
Speaker 3: You want to go on that next deployment, you wanted to do the.
Speaker 2: Next thing, and to survive all of that, you had to put your family on the back burner. So once guys get out, they still get in that mindset and it's like, hey, you don't have to ruin everything now you can.
Speaker 3: You can go be happy.
Speaker 2: So I really think out of all the friends that I've seen, the Rangers, they've taken their lives, those are the two key components that I think they need to realize and reach out and actually say, hey, I'm gonna give life to try and help it.
Speaker 1: That happened that that's like such a like when we say it out loud, it's such an odd thing to say, but it's it's totally true that, you know, you have to give your yourself permission to enjoy life and to find something that you like. You know, it's beyond you know, that sense of duty, but something for yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and I think it's just hard for us. It's because you don't you don't do all of that without coming out of it, without some kind of identity crisis that can take it away from you. It's just a it's so ingrained in us. Everything, Like if you think back to like anything we did in the regiment. It's funny because I laugh about the like it's so indoctrinating in us in anything. In the regiment, we sing songs about us like well like, and not only do we sing songs about us, army sing songs about us. So we're this big giant thing and we don't stop to realize that we're also human in that. Like there's a point where we have to say, hey, like, I was that for that reason for that time, and now it's time to be something else. It's time Tom, and I'll admit I'm It's not time to lose the ranger in you. It's not time to lose that identity, but it's time to take on another mission. I'm a ranger and I can be used at anything, and that's I think our biggest strength. I can literally do anything. I can do anything that anybody wants me to do. And I've suffered so much that I can suffer through a whole lot more. But that gives us a unique skill set in this world now where now you can you you were probably more driven than ninety nine nine percent of.
Speaker 3: Society, absolutely, and then all you have to do is go out and find that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Louis, tell us where people can go to find uh what is it? Alliance and three Ranger So.
Speaker 2: Three Rangers Foundation is uh the one you can go to three Rangers uh foundation dot.
Speaker 3: Org dot org? Yeah, yes, dot org.
Speaker 2: And then i'd ask I had to ask my better alp uh and then uh, the Allegiance Project uh foundation is is a dot org and then there's Allegiance Project Security dot com. The security side is actually a security company. So guys need any help with like getting into the security industry, Man, I got it in spades.
Speaker 3: You guys come to me, and.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's a way we can leave my email up, email me, talk to me. I'll get you to know how. I'll even help get you your level three Level four in Texas if you need it.
Speaker 3: We have guys for that.
Speaker 1: We'll put some links down the description. But if you want to give out your email, I mean feel free. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So my.
Speaker 2: Work email is Luis l u I s at Allegiance Project dot org all on word and just like I said, email me there for any guys that want it, and I can.
Speaker 3: We're very connected.
Speaker 2: The other thing we're doing if anybody is in Texas during October third.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows what October third is.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming it's Thethics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Gothic Serpent.
Speaker 2: So we're actually putting on three Rangers and Allegious Project Foundation is actually putting on the first movie Diishan Mile in Dallas.
Speaker 3: So we're going to be in current Texas. We got a great place.
Speaker 2: We're trying to get as many rangers out and again that's that community thing, finding your tribe. We're inviting seals. I'm going to make fun of some seals. You know, I'll be like, hey, do you need me to carry you out of here? Like do we get to the halfway point and you want me to carry you back?
Speaker 3: Like how are we doing that?
Speaker 2: Don't get on a ridge or anything. But the it's finding that it is being able to kind of chat it up and find this. But we're putting on that run for the guys that aren't at Benning that think that can make it here, so that we can we can get communities going everywhere. The goal is that one day, like on October third, we're celebrating all of that, Like all of us are celebrating.
Speaker 3: Gothic Serpent.
Speaker 2: We're celebrating that that portion of our history and actually just making it almost like a big reunion that we don't have to get together to funerals.
Speaker 3: We can get together.
Speaker 1: Tell you, are you also on social media at all? Any anywhere else people can go to find you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I G H from the later days is uh Diego dela Vega, So I'm a I'm a reader and aspiring writer too. So Diego del Vega was a was the real name of Zoro, but that's my name on Instagram and Facebook, so anybody can go on and find me there. Also, Uh, we run a company, a training company's Stand Strategic and that's on I G two and you guys, I can answer there too. And anybody's in Texas and just wants to come out and shoot, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, Louis, thank you so much for this interview and telling your story. It's been great. H Is there anything else that you'd like to bring up, anything that I didn't ask during this interview that you'd like to talk about.
Speaker 2: Man, there's some like again, you go through that and I'm sure you run into this. It's like you remember things. You're like, oh, remember that story and remember that story. I'm sure I'll be sitting around one day and I'll be like, oh, I could have I could have I just said this is this you know X, Y and Z.
Speaker 3: Or I could have gone through.
Speaker 1: Say it's okay, you come here to this studio if you're ever coming through New York City, and we'll smoke some cigars and we'll tell the other stories.
Speaker 2: You know, I saw you you were smoking citars. I'm a big fan of stars too. I smoke a lot of them. I smoke them out back because my wife hates the smell. I have to come in and shower if I do do it, which was great because when we were dating, she takes me. When we sell two months into dating, my now wife says, hey, you want to go to Vegas. I was like, yeah, look for I've never been to Vegas, but sure, and she goes, oh, we're gonna go to a shot show. It was like, this is like two months into dating, and I was like, I'm gonna marry you, so I The cursory thing is two months into dating, you don't know a lot about each other other than you like each other. So I don't know some things and I was just like, oh, man, I really want to go to a cigar bar in Vegas, and so she's like, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: Little did I know that she was in.
Speaker 2: The bathroom like snorting a Zertec because she's extremely allergic to cigars, and then lets me we go into the cigar bar and like she's she's a champ about it. Like I didn't realize it until like a year later when she told me. She's like, yeah, I'm super allergic to cigars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like thirty people in there, puff and a why oh yeah.
Speaker 3: She And she was a champ too when I was deployed.
Speaker 2: She goes to every every few like every month, she would go over to this place with a cigar Internationals and she would get the cigars I like, and she'd buy them in boxes and then ship them over to Iraq.
Speaker 1: And so do what bless her soul?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, she was fantastic. I realized I was getting married real quick. But it was funny because she ended up winning a drew Estate Humidor and she doesn't smoke cigars at all, and so she had got she had entered this Uh, they'd given her a couple of tickets because she buys cigars there and they call her and they're like, oh, you won this, and she said she she was walking out of there. She was like almost got jumped. Everybody wanted this thing. It's really cool. It's it's if you do any of the drew Estates stuff. They got the Deadwood series and it's all the like the old Deadwood Hookers basically, and but the the humid door that she got holds I think it holds like two hundred and forty cigars, but it's Spanish wood and it's in the shape.
Speaker 3: Of a coffin.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, So she won that and like she doesn't smoke. She they were just like, oh, do you smoke cigars. She's like, no, it's my boyfriend.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, so super cool. But yes, well I'm going to go and check out Drewid State Human Doors. Louis, thanks again, man, really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate, really appreciate the time guys to be able to tell my story and really to get them kind of the reliving in the mission of a Rangers and helping out my tribe because I owe everything to the Ranger Regiment. And then the other thing is is like being able to get that message out of helping the guys. At the end of it, like we should all be able to tell our stories, tell how we got there, the times we got to look at things, the hurts, the pains, whatever it is, and then at the end of it say because of that, I'm this and I hope that everybody like you. You're like spent like a writer, which amazing, Like I want to do writing. I'm just I don't think I'm as articulate as.
Speaker 3: I could be.
Speaker 1: It's a skill, It's a learnable skill like anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, promise, But.
Speaker 2: I think being able to say get the message out there that we we are rangers, but that means that we can do anything we were given the we were picked, we were specially selected to do that job. But specially selected means we can almost do anything we want. That wasn't just for the Ranger regiment. It was a specially selected person, a type of person who who would have succeeded at anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to not pigeonhole yourself that if you want to go and get MBA or you want to become an astrophysicist, like you can do those things. Uh, yeah, don't don't get down. You know some of the guys I find get down on themselves and think I'm just a dumb ranger. I can't do anything else. It's like, no, that's that's bullshit.
Speaker 3: No, just you're a ranger. You can do everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like are we have innate abilities that were that were given to us a by the generations before A lot of the rangers that we learned from and then we passed down to other rangers that learned from us that we would We are the type of people, and I think this is true of most special operations. We're the type of people that would have been successful almost at anything you could have put us anywhere. You always look at these other rangers that are or other special operations, guys that are doing businesses doing this is and that you're literally taking somebody who would have been He would have been a professional athlete if it wasn't for the war, he would have been a like if he had gotten the college education that he can still go and get, you would have been a fortune five hundred.
Speaker 3: You would have been leading leading titans of industry. We can do anything.
Speaker 2: I think it's just we pigeonhole ourselves into what we were and being that warrior the fighter the soldier, and we say that's the only thing I could have done.
Speaker 3: It's like no, it means a lot more so.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I appreciate being able to get that message out anytime.
Speaker 3: I can remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell yeah, yeah absolutely man, And thank you to everyone who joined us tonight. Appreciate you coming by and checking out the Teamhouse again. And we will see you guys next week. So thank you, Louie. Hope you have a good time. He hit us up if you're ever coming through the city, Yes, fair, I will. Hey, guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Team House podcast newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free, and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, the things that are on the Team House, on our Geopolitics podcast, Eyes On, things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the high Side, anything else that we have going on books, we recommend upcome guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you go and check it out, we send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content on a weekly basis. You can find our newsletter at teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join again. The website for that is teamhouse Podcast, dot kit dot com slash join. Uh So we hope to see you there. The link will be down the description