Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked, we will talk a little bit more when we get into the eleven o'clock hour about what's going on with the US Agency for International Development. USAID staffers were told to stay out of the Washington headquarters.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk, of course, announced that President Trump agrees with him that USAID should be shut down. They said they tracked more than six hundred employees reported being locked out of the agency's computer system overnight. Secretary of State Marco Rubio I'll get used to saying things like that soon.
Speaker 3: Not yet.
Speaker 2: Secretary of State Marco Rubio has confirmed that he is now the acting director for USAID. He was taking questions down in El Salvador. He said, USAID is not functioning. It has to be aligned with US policy. It needs to be aligned with the national interest of the United States. They're not a global charity. These are tax payer dollars.
Speaker 1: So well, there was the dragnet in Georgia. You remember a fourteen year old accused of shooting two students and a pair of teachers at Appalachi High and Georgia. That happened on September fourth. Well after that shooting, a flurry of threats seemed to rise on social media, an unusual number two very unusual. One of the girls involved with the dragnet. Her name is Laurie. There was Laurie lying in bed with her stuff juniunicorns and her Hello Kitty dolls. She's in ninth grade and she thought it was a funny idea. She's just sitting there board with her stuffings and she opens up Instagram, puts on a hot pink background and begins to type blowing the school up tomorrow. Well, she had forgotten about it. A few hours later one of her friends is like, hey, you should probably take that down.
Speaker 4: It was too late.
Speaker 1: The next day, a little Lori, fourteen years old, was put in handcuffs barely fit her risks.
Speaker 4: She was charged with a felony.
Speaker 1: She was taken to the Valusa County Detention Center for three weeks. The day after that, another fourteen year old charge for a comment on Instagram that read, if y' all cry babies don't showed up, I'm gonna shoot up your school. The day after that a thirteen year old charge for a post on TikTok it said, I will be shooting up Heritage Middle School and then the date.
Speaker 2: It's weird because when we see events like this, it's not unusual to have I don't know if copycat is the right word, but people playing off of the event itself contagious, contagious.
Speaker 1: And everything's so trendy on social media. What one does a bunch of other people do right away?
Speaker 2: The Washington Post found that at least four hundred and seventy seven people were arrested in the two weeks after that shooting in Georgia. That's about one hundred more than in the aftermaths of the three previous mass school shootings combined.
Speaker 1: Valuses elected sheriff is the guy behind this. His name is Mike Chitwood. He is a registered independent. He's from Philadelphia, and he's had enough of in his opinion and maybe yours too, that this is parents not raising their kids right.
Speaker 2: He says that he has deployed dozens of deputies spent tens of thousands of dollars in taxpayer money on this. He said on a previous night his office had received fifty four tips. At a news conference, he talked about this is just a short time ago, tracking down a couple of more kids at thirteen and a twelve year old, but he laid it at the feet of the parents here.
Speaker 5: Since parents you don't want to raise your kids, I'm going to start raising him.
Speaker 6: Every time we make an a rest, your kid's photo.
Speaker 5: Is going to be put out there, and if I could do it, I'm going to purp walk your kid so that everybody can see what your kid's up to. The Second point of this is if I can any way find out that a parent knew what was going on and wasn't doing anything, you're just getting purple walk with them. The purpose of four to five Florida is to send in tips that we're going to investigate because you believe something is going to happen. To keep setting in these tips over and over and over again and think it's a big joke and nothing's going to happen to it.
Speaker 6: Starting Monday, we're.
Speaker 5: Going to have a billboard, We're gonna have a poster at I'm going to show you every kid that's been arrested and where they go to school.
Speaker 3: He says, Monday, like you say Monday.
Speaker 2: We've been talking to you about Mike Chitwood, who is the elected sheriff of Alusia County down in Florida, and after just north of Florida's state line with George at Appalachi High School in September, there was a fourteen year old who shot a couple of students and a pair of teachers. Mike Chitwood, the sheriff, recognized a whole new slew of dozens of kids, most of them kids who had gone online and threatened similar violence at schools, and he said, I'm not taking it anymore.
Speaker 4: So we started arresting them.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of weeks after that school shooting four hundred and seven twenty seven as you mentioned people, ninety percent of them students. He said, this is absolutely out of control and it ends now. One of the boys, a boy named Armando, eleven years old. Armando was sleeping with his tan baby blanket when his mom rubbed his shoulder. He opened his eyes. She says, the police are at the door. It was four am. He puts sweatpants on, goes in the living room black vests. Men in black vests storm in, searches room for guns. Armando bright, young kid, round faced. He loses his breath when he talks too fast. The detective said, we saw you on that FaceTime call with your friends. You were showing off your collection of knives and airsoft guns. And Armando tells the investigators in a voice yet to reach puberty, that he was pretty sure that he mentioned to his friends that the guns were toys. And his mom says, did you write a list down? And he says no, I didn't, and then says I did. Yes, will detectives already found that notebook names jotted down in black marker. One of the investigators said to Armando, did you joke and say it was a hit list or a kilt list? Armanda says, I said it was a hit list. It was a joke. But mom says, does this look like a joke to you? Armanda was arrested just one of those stories. I mean, this played out, like you said, four hundred and seventy seven arrests, mostly students.
Speaker 4: Not everybody loves this.
Speaker 1: Some experts in child psychology and criminology have condemned Chitwood's approach.
Speaker 2: This elected Sheriff Deborah wise Brought is a psychiatry professor Stonybrook University said that there's no evidence that this is going to be helpful reducing the level of threats.
Speaker 3: How is that?
Speaker 2: How would you? How could you possibly say that public shaming like this? And I don't mean to belittle what the sheriff is doing, because I think he is doing something important. It's also incumbent upon the parents to come out and say this is not acceptable or I mean, it's not something.
Speaker 3: If you have a kid that has.
Speaker 2: Leaned towards the potential to say something stupid like this, you have to get to that kid early. You can't wait until after they make the threat.
Speaker 4: Amen.
Speaker 1: This psychiatry professor Deborah is an ass hat. She says, I think it's possible that this could further humiliate and embarrass a child and they could go further underground. No, this is something that needs to be addressed, especially if it's spreading like wildfire. If they are at least four hundred and seventy seven people making threats to shoot up a school, most of them being kids, you got to nip it in the bod. Like you mentioned, this, sheriff is no stranger to controversy. In twenty twenty three, he led a public campaign against white supremacists, frequently referred to them as scumbags. He says, by the way, there has been a precipitous drop in arrests of kids after you began publicizing names and faces, from five the week of to seven to two to one to zero.
Speaker 2: Well, and the argument that the child psychologists making that this is going to drive them further underground or whatever, and the distress was that led them to make the threat in the first place. The sheriff pointed this out. One hundred percent of these threats are just that they're threats. There's no either ability to carry out the thing. They're just talking out their butts. They have no idea what they're doing, They have no idea the impact that's That's okay to drive somebody to suppress a thought like that is okay. It's okay to have the kid think about what it is that they're doing or saying and what impact it's going to have on it. Right, if someone has a propensity to shoot up a school, it's not going to be a sheriff that's going to prevent them from doing that.
Speaker 3: Just it's weird that.
Speaker 1: The I would like my kid to be scared straight. I mean, some parents don't have that kind of leverage over their own kids to scare them straight like that. Sometimes you got to bring in the big gun, so to speak in terms of law enforcement. But that, I mean, that would scare, That would scare the hell out of a kid to the point where they wouldn't think it was funny anymore to threaten to shoot up a school.
Speaker 2: And that's the point, right, That's why it should be there. All right, we got some rain we could see coming in. Of course, this week we could see some potential damage in the fire burned scar areas.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about roads that reopened as well, and then later this hour, Luka Doncic, you're going to have to learn how to pronounce it.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's it.
Speaker 3: I spell it.
Speaker 1: I think it's a hard see, Jacob, it's a hard see. At the end, how do you.
Speaker 3: Say Luca's name, Doncic.
Speaker 1: I don't think you pronounced the H. I didn't hear that. I've never heard that you call him.
Speaker 3: Don't get you.
Speaker 4: Here's the other thing about me.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched basketball since nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe that's weird.
Speaker 1: Maybe two thousand and one, two thousand and five strong case for twowo thousand and five. I think that was the Laker Celtics fun times, resurgence of their fun times, their rivalry. So I know nothing. We will be getting into our AI desk coming up later. Deep Research is an AI offshoot that can help you research things. It used to take you a month. It can do it in a matter of seconds because you know AI. It's fancy. Also, there's all this uproar that people are using AI to craft wedding speeches, text messages, even obituaries. Guess what people have been cheating away that stuff for centuries years. You think that that text you got from that girl wasn't carefully crafted by six of her friends. You think that wedding speech was original, or that that person came up with.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 1: No, we all get a little help from your friends when it comes to obits, wedding speeches, break up text.
Speaker 2: Moment of complete honesty here. I thought about this for burial Pluza coming up in a couple of weeks, because want me to say something, as we inter our parents back into the earth from whence they came?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the process. I don't know what it sounds like. I don't know any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, your parents, that's all that counts.
Speaker 3: I guess so, and AI doesn't.
Speaker 1: You know, AI does not. They do not know the little things. They do not know the things about your parents that they both enjoyed. Leaving the cook turkey on the laundry machine for three days before Thanksgiving. You can't get That's the kind of stuff you can't get with AI.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So we were there this weekend, and we still still to this day, are finding foods that have expired by ten years, foods.
Speaker 1: That expired, the spices alone from nineteen seventy two, the dead birds in the house, the fact they slept outside. AI couldn't do your parents an ounce of justice. That's true in that moment, that is very true.
Speaker 2: Well, this morning PCH reopened. Basically, access to the neighborhood and along the palisades will remain restricted to residents, law enforcement, and then contractors who are there to help out.
Speaker 3: But that's it.
Speaker 2: All of PCH itself, between McClure Tunnel and Carbon Beach open this morning, one lane each direction, is open, you can't go more than twenty five miles an hour. Mayor Bass said, you can expect congestion. There is an active construction zone, red flashing signals, et cetera, and no parking along PCH until further notice.
Speaker 3: All this had something to do.
Speaker 2: She wanted to do it on Sunday, but she was going to do it without restrictions, and then cants. I don't know what she was thinking, the idea that you would allow PCH to reopen without restrictions because there's enough people who are so interested in what's going on.
Speaker 3: We've all seen the.
Speaker 2: Lookie loose who feel like they need to be there to see the destruction themselves.
Speaker 4: The podcasters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the honest truth is you don't need to be there to see that for yourself. It is an I mean it just it's an awful place to be and for you to be there simply out of curiosity is an insult to the people who lost their lives and lost everything in those fires. Yes, so, as of the way they're going to do it now, National Guard is extended quite a bit so that they can actually do some of the I guess pass control in those checkpoints. So that LAPD has the ability because LAPD's been on tactical alert since the fire started January seventh.
Speaker 1: I'm going to need some ominous music. Do you have any ominous music, because folks tell me if you've heard this before. But the storm door is open.
Speaker 3: And that didn't work.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it started to work at the end here. Let me do it. Take two.
Speaker 3: No, no, let me try it.
Speaker 1: Because the storm door is open. If you know people up north, yep, it has been an atmospheric river say goodbye that has slammed into those folks. Well it's headed here. The first of a series of three atmospheric river.
Speaker 4: Storms has arrived.
Speaker 1: They're hoping that this may lift us La County from our fire station a fire season.
Speaker 4: But the problem is is that.
Speaker 1: With that comes you know the threat of mudslides, debrisflows, things like that.
Speaker 4: So when is it supposed to hit.
Speaker 1: Widespread rain expected tomorrow through Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Ventura County may get the brunt of it there.
Speaker 3: The peak time for rain just north of their.
Speaker 2: Santa Barbara, SA and Louis Obispo counties have gotten rain today and they will continue to get rain. The biggest issue I think right now now is going to be the risk of mud slides and debris flow. Even from that storm that we saw last week, there was a certain amount short, not short, small amounts of mud slides that close down pH and Dapanga, for example. But if this is a significantly heavier rainfall, then we could see some bigger issues. Does this end fire season? Nothing ends fire season here.
Speaker 1: I look forward to sitting inside and seeing the rainfall and being cozy and doing nothing and being okay with it.
Speaker 3: That's the sound your couch made.
Speaker 4: Wow, coming in hot? Who hurt you over the weekend?
Speaker 3: Everything?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: That's right?
Speaker 4: You have ailments?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 2: Speaking of which this just reminded me. It's whoever wrote the story wrote ending dry January obvious?
Speaker 3: Howd to go?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm still drunk? I had set six shots this morning.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: I feel so good. I'm just kind of like rolling it over. Really, I just I feel freaking great.
Speaker 1: I mean, There'll probably come a time, but for the time being, I'm sticking with it.
Speaker 3: So this show doesn't necessarily prompt you to drink every day.
Speaker 5: You mean you.
Speaker 1: Yes, which you know I've learned to deal with in other ways, other coping mechanisms.
Speaker 4: But no, it does not.
Speaker 1: This is actually a great you know, it's not like I'm digging ditches. Maybe if I was digging ditches, I want to go home and hit the bottle and cheap. That actually sounds very relaxing. John used to I think it was sheep. John used to do, from time to time an extended daydream about how he would like to be a sheep hurder and just live in a field with his sheep.
Speaker 3: And it could be that, and no's that seems.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Sean, I think has a I may have a way with sheep.
Speaker 3: Maybe he does. He's the great sheep whisperer.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I haven't heard him talk about that in a while. I wonder what happened. I'll have to ask him about that today. I thought there was a terrorist attack this morning or something. My phone kept going off like crazy, and I pick it up.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what is this?
Speaker 1: And there's like six alerts about this massive NBA trade. I'll be the first to tell you I know nothing about the NBA.
Speaker 4: I played basketball.
Speaker 1: I loved basketball, watching the Celtics and the Lakers rivalry. My dad was dialed in one hundred and fifty percent to all of that in the eighties when I was growing up and all, and then I just kind of fell up the Kings that whole bit in Sacramento. That was kind of fun for a minute. Chris Weber and then the Warriors, and that was.
Speaker 4: Kind of fun.
Speaker 1: And then I just I moved down here and I couldn't root for the Lakers because then my family wouldn't speak to me. So I haven't watched basketball about twenty years, so I have no frame of reference when it comes. I know that they're both stars. Anthony Davis, big deal for him to come to the Lakers. And then the guy whose name I can't pronounce, Luca. He's also a big deal with the Mavericks. That's a lot of hate going on with the Mavericks. Was it GM or Owner, what have you? It's all Chinese to.
Speaker 3: Me, well or Serbian? I think? Is he Serbian? Yes, that's true, that's right.
Speaker 2: Kevin Figures has joined as producer at Straordinaire for our friends over at KLAC, but also one of the hosts of the f NA podcast.
Speaker 1: F NA podcast is where you find him kfig on social media as well.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 3: By the way, thanks for coming on. So discuss Luca. Okay, is this the biggest trade in NBA history?
Speaker 7: Yes, one, because Anthony Davis, an aging superstar, gets traded to the Dallas Mavericks, who claimed that they want to make a deal to win right now when they just went to the NBA Finals last season with arguably the second third best player in the entire league and someone even say the best player in the league and Luka Doncik.
Speaker 6: That's the thing that's what makes it such a big music I sorry, that's it.
Speaker 1: I was right.
Speaker 4: It's that hard it is.
Speaker 3: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: There's no age. It's a hard end dochic like.
Speaker 7: Let's I'll try to use a frame of reference since you haven't watched the NBA in twenty years, there Shannon, if I possibly can, so, let's.
Speaker 1: Imagine you can ask for a football analogy. I can try for baseball is just like the Dodgers and the Mavericks. The Dodger's trying to get better, the Mavericks trying to get better.
Speaker 7: Well, there's a lot of interesting dynamics when it comes to that, but just think of if football. I'll just use an example, maybe not the best quarterback in the league, but a top three quarterback. Let's say Lamar Jackson. If Lamar Jackson just overnight got traded from the Baltimore Ravens to say, the Las Vegas Raiders or something, and now they got a good Blair think got Max Crosby into the bunch number one picks, like, oh, you got good players. But this is like a face of a franchise top of play, Like that's the equivalent or Josh Allen.
Speaker 6: You know what it hits closer to home.
Speaker 7: What if they traded Josh Allen or excuse me, they traded Justin Herbert from the Chargers for lamarg Herbert's a really good player, and I'm not You don't have to say anything.
Speaker 6: I'll just talk to you. Gary. Herbert's a very good player. I do think that Charger.
Speaker 7: Fans, as much as they love Justin Herbert, probably would not shed a tear if they knew they were getting Lamar Jackson, a three time potentially three time MVP coming back the other way. That's kind of the way this shapes up. And it happened in the dead of night. This is something that just doesn't happen anymore in the NBA where it's so player driven and agent driven, and they're the ones that are usually directing traffic when it comes to where they want to play, who they want to play for. This was literally old school Rob Polenka, the GM of the Lakers and the GM of the Mavericks, whoever a previous relationship from when Rob was Kobe's agent and the general manager of the Mavericks now was a Nike executive. They just met over coffee last Thursday, kind of came up out of nowhere, talked between the two of themselves, and then all of a sudden, on Saturday night at nine o'clock, this trade happens. Nobody knew. Anthony Davis didn't know, Lukadantik didn't know. Ro James had no idea.
Speaker 2: Wow in the dead of night discuss that relationship. Now, Luka, Doncik and Lebron James both on the Lakers.
Speaker 7: So well, tactically speaking, that's going to be rough. They're both very ball dominant players, but usually in the NBA, Hogs is strong Gary. But I would say they both thrive with the ball in their hands. Neither of them, I would say, are really good players without having the ball in their hands. Now that's something the Lakers are going to have to figure out, which is fine. Again, you have one of the best players, top three players in the league, and Lebron is still a top ten player at worst. Right now, you'll figure it out. Relationship wise, Lebron James and Luca get along great. Luca has always looked up to Lebron James. From what I understand, they have a really good relationship. And for people saying that Lebron James might request a trade because Anthony Davis was his guy and they have the same agent, it sounds as if Lebron James has no desire of asking for a trade. Now, that could be for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 6: His son plays for the.
Speaker 1: Team, right, isn't that what he's doing now? Yes, that's his passion project.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he doesn't want to be traded away unless the Lakers traded both of them, which I guess is somewhat possible if they really wanted to. And one the Lakers actually see Lebron James as a mentor to Luka Doncik and the big reason why he was traded away from the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 6: If you're to read the reports is.
Speaker 7: That they have issues about his health and his conditioning and his commitment to staying in shape.
Speaker 2: He showed up what thirty pounds overweight or or I don't know if i'd say overweight.
Speaker 3: I mean the guy's huge anyway, so be in two seventies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, two seventies, a little heavier than I like to be.
Speaker 1: And he showed up in Chicago twice the size. He still did have had a productive season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, Luka Doncic when he's played now, he's only played twenty two games this year because he has a calf injury. Now, whether that's due to him being overweight, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm not a doctor. I can't speak to you.
Speaker 7: I don't know what the Slovenian delicacies are.
Speaker 1: Smoker.
Speaker 6: That's a good question, and I don't really know.
Speaker 7: I guess it's possible, but I really I can't speak to that. I'm not one hundred percent sure. I'll say this, regardless of his weight issues or discipline issues, whatever you want to call them, whatever he's doing is working. He's his second highest league score in NBA playoff history, behind Michael Jordan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how insane was that?
Speaker 4: He won me a lot on prize picks, did.
Speaker 6: He Yeah, yeah, that's going to lie. I believe it. Guy is a luck. He's a walking triple double. He's a phenomenal player.
Speaker 7: And even if you have concerns about his durability or his health moving forward, if you're the Lakers, it's a deal that you have to take.
Speaker 6: This is twenty five years old.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so if he does get himself into shape and become the player that you wanted to become, he can be the next face of your franchise for the next ten twelve years.
Speaker 1: Who was in shape at twenty five? I was eating like pounds of bacon for dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you also weren't a professional athlete. I mean, this guy gets paid to be in shape.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but it takes a while to understand the importance of that when you're a young player.
Speaker 2: And I know, the ugly stepchild in all of this is going to be the Dallas Mavericks. But they got ninety one dropped on him in the first half yesterday.
Speaker 6: Ninety one.
Speaker 7: That's hard to do well, especially when you say defense wins championships is what the general manager. Now granted, Anthony Davis wasn't there yet they have a couple of key players, including Luca, who wasn't going to be there anyway because he's been hurt.
Speaker 4: So are we in the basketball season right now?
Speaker 2: Well, we're almost to the All Stars and we are waist deep into the All Star season.
Speaker 4: I want to win like this season, That's what Alis is saying.
Speaker 6: Again, they say they want to win this season. Yet again. They went to the NBA Finals last year, right.
Speaker 4: So what happened there? Did they win?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: They lost to the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 4: Celtics ranted.
Speaker 7: I think a big reason for that is because Luka Doncic is. When I say terrible defensively, that's an understatement. He just has no interest in playing defense.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 7: It's a bit of a problem because the Boston Celtics basically just picked on him the entire series and that's why they lost.
Speaker 6: In five games.
Speaker 3: It's showtime, Lakers they're here for. I mean, you want the.
Speaker 4: Weight problem though too. It's hard to get back.
Speaker 7: When you're hauling an extra but that you With that being said, he's so dynamic on the offensive enno the floor.
Speaker 6: He's an offense in and of himself. Like I said, if you're the Lakers. It's a risk you have to take. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it now, I'm into it. Now I'm gonna maybe a.
Speaker 1: Little bit Kevin, thank you appreciate it of course, n Figure thanks for having me in guys kfig on social media. Fn a podcast as well. Adam that Only Wears Shorts is the other half of that podcast.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of our show, you can always go back and listen to the podcast. Go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or anywhere you find your podcast.
Speaker 3: Just type in Gary and Shannon. We'll be back right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap