Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to my podcast. This is an audio version of my videos available to make listening to my stuff in the background easier than YouTube makes it. But since my videos are primarily made for YouTube, there may be occasional references to visual materials. If you'd like this podcast ad free, you can join us on Patreon Apppatreon dot com, slash Vice Rhino, Please enjoy.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to my channel Vice Rhino. Here Donald James Parker. If that name means nothing to you, then congratulations. You're probably busy living your life, spending time with loved ones and enjoying your hobbies and stuff like that. Unfortunately, for me, one of my hobbies happens to be watching bad movies, often with a particular focus on Christian movies, and Donald James Parker aka DJP aka Gramps is quite the prolific filmmaker. There's Gramps Goes to College, the story of how an old man went back to college improved to the college biology professor that evolution is a lie. Also, she's a hot cougar who really wants to him.
Speaker 3: Have you ever considered that maybe there really is a heaven and a hell and that people like you are condemning young people to eternal punishment because of your teaching.
Speaker 4: Have you ever considered just grabbing me and having some fun? But you don't need to be afraid, honey. You can take advantage of me any way you want.
Speaker 2: There's the Best Friend's Trilogy, which is the story of how hot cougars really want to fo him.
Speaker 3: You don't have a woman friend, not even clothes.
Speaker 4: Good looking guy.
Speaker 5: Like you shouldn't deprive all these lovely ladies of your company.
Speaker 3: You realize it.
Speaker 5: Females outing them are males by a pretty big margin.
Speaker 3: At our age, there would be a crime for you with allD love from one of us lonely women.
Speaker 4: He really be involved in criminal activity. But are I just a little too old for you? I like mature men.
Speaker 2: And in that story, because he gave in exactly one time, he very near ruined his chances of marriage because of the aides.
Speaker 3: A little over a year ago, I got tangled up with some woman who wasn't quite as wonderful as you. She seduced me and we became sexually active.
Speaker 6: Did you have a test for sexually transmitted diseases, especially AIDS?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: If you do have AIDS, this relationship can probably go no further.
Speaker 2: But don't worry if you're tired of the hot cougars really wanting to him. There's also movies like In Gramp's Shoes, the story of how his family will be driven back to him through financial need. One day, Hi, it's Amy, Amy.
Speaker 4: Amy. Isn't my daughter Amy?
Speaker 6: But you don't recognize my voice.
Speaker 3: It's been twenty years since I've heard it.
Speaker 6: I'm in trouble and I need your help.
Speaker 4: What's the matter?
Speaker 6: And he left me two years ago. He's disappeared. I have no idea where he is. He's not paying child support. I'm way behind on my mortgage. I am going to have the house taken away from me by the bank. I've got two kids.
Speaker 2: At which point he can prove to all of the teenagers that he's a fitness buff who can totally kick all of their asses. That old man is bionic.
Speaker 7: He's a machine, a running machine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like we've been suckered. He's sound kind of pro or something. Well out.
Speaker 3: Way way to go, Graham, take that and smoke you boys.
Speaker 7: Let me try that.
Speaker 4: Wow, he got all the way down.
Speaker 3: Two bit. Come on, now, come on, come onct you up there.
Speaker 2: Wow, this dude makes movies instead of going to therapy, is what I'm getting at. Anyway, he made a new one called Beauty and the Atheist, which is all about how he totally would have won his debate with Forrest Valcai a couple of years ago if only he was a hot young woman who could distract Forest with her feminine wiles. Now, I'm not going to do a review of the whole movie. Forest already joined the god Awful Movies guys and did that himself. But as I was torturing my partner by making her watch it with me, it occurred to me that the actual debate segment in the movie would be fun to respond to. So here I am. Let's take a look.
Speaker 5: Welcome to another episode of Chilling with the Renegade Scientist.
Speaker 2: I left that bed in too dispel any doubt that this character is in fact based almost entirely on Forest Valcai, who goes by the handle Renegade science Teacher online. I mean, if you've watched the actual conversation that Forest had with Gramps, it is obvious that this whole movie is a result of the shower arguments that Gram's won against Forest in the wake of that conversation. But here you go. This just makes it explicit.
Speaker 5: My guest today is Douglas Conners. He is a writer and maker of Christian movies. Welcome Douglas, Thank you, Trey. So, Douglas wanted to have a conversation about evolution, and obviously he has some difficulty embracing the truth. So Douglas, let's just first off and tell me why you were anti science?
Speaker 4: Hold on, not anti science.
Speaker 2: And thus we have the framing that Graham's has for this conversation. I am probably going to reference it a lot, so I may as well link to it now. But if you watch the actual conversation between him and Forrest, Forest was very much coming from a place of wanting to educate Donald. He was patient and non combative, essentially being in teacher mode the entire time. But apparently that's not how Gramp saw it. He thinks that Forrest was framing his questions in a way to make him look as bad as possible. Why are you anti science? Is a question that was never asked. The actual opening to the interview after the introductions, was Forrest trying to relate to Donald, telling him that His desire to teach what he believes to be true despite the pushback, is the exact reason why he goes by renegade science teacher. I you know what, though, my.
Speaker 7: Handle on like TikTok and everything they got me started was renegade science teacher. And it was for that exact reason, because I wanted to teach all the science that I loved. And I live in Oklahoma, which is like the buckle of the Bible belt. And I would get in trouble with the companies. I worked for a children's museum, I worked for different educational companies and everything. And when I would teach something that would religious person might not like, You're gonna lose us money and all this stuff. And so I did the same thing in the exact opposite direction. I wanted to teach the real stuff. I don't care if it gets me in trouble. I wanted to do the real thing. It's like, I love that I think you and I are both you know, got from the same cloth in that way that we're all you know, we're very excited to go talk about what we're passionate about and to try to fix what we see as problems in the world, despite the fact that we see very different problems. I think you and I a lot of the things that I think are good, I think you think are bad, and vice versa.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to be pointing this out every time he does this, but just keep in mind that in the real interview, Forrest was being very conciliatory and Donald still came away from it feeling like he was being attacked by a big, mean atheist guy.
Speaker 3: I am anti pseudoscience and definitely anti political science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all of you know that if you were anti pseudoscience, he wouldn't be a creationist, so I don't really need to harp on that. But I wonder what he thinks political science even is that made him feel the need to lump it in here. I think he might think that political sciences related to political correctness. But this is just a strange grouping, and it speaks to his unwillingness to learn the basics of whatever he's trying to debunk.
Speaker 3: Which involves this study that where the results are intentionally skewed based on who paid for the research. For example, a study on the dangers of butter paid for by the margarine industry or vice versa. Not all quote unquote sciences equal, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I guess he thinks that political science is just science with the profit motive science that is just manipulating statistics to make your team look like it's the correct one. Yeah, okay. I stand by my assessment that he is unwilling to learn basics of whatever thing he wants to debunk me.
Speaker 4: I'm all about the truth, me too. So what is your primary objection to evolution? Ooh, so many to choose from.
Speaker 3: Well, my biggest objection is this that despite the fact that the idea is generated by evolution concerning the flora and fauna that we see around us, they're historical in nature can't be replicated and tested in the laboratory using a scientific method.
Speaker 2: Specific hypotheses about which species is the ancestor of which other species cannot be replicated in the lab. True, However, the critical aspects of evolution can. Mutations, for instance, are one of the primary mechanisms of evolution, and we've observed every kind of mutation that would be necessary for evolution in lab settings, and we can replicate these observations. At the end of the day, the genome is the key to what kind of organism you are. With that in mind, we can start with the genome of any organism on the planet, and using nothing but the types of mutations that we have observed in lab settings, that genome can be transformed into the genome of any other organism on the planet. Now, obviously this is oversimplified, and we have to keep in mind that evolution has no goals, so there will never be a scenario where one type of organism turns into an already extant organism in this way. But the fact of the matter is that this means that evolution, from even the simplest of beginnings is perfectly adequate to explain the diversity of life.
Speaker 3: Even though that's true, these ideas are forced down kids' throats and other people's throats.
Speaker 4: All over the world as if they're slam dunk factual.
Speaker 2: It's because they are slam dunk factual.
Speaker 3: Got them, and no real discussion about other explanations and possibilities is even perminated.
Speaker 2: Mainly because there is no other possible explanation that has anywhere near the evidence backing it up as evolution does. The closest I've ever come to hearing creation is actually tried to give anything a mant ounting to a positive case for creation rather than just assuming that creationism is a default position if they've managed to poke Nu hole as an evolution was that guy from a few weeks ago who tried to explain the process by which God could have cloned Eve from Adam's rib And he wasn't really providing any evidence that his idea is what did happen. He was mostly just trying to explain how God making a whole person from another person's rib was scientifically plausible.
Speaker 5: Okay, So just to be clear here, you are not advocating that the teaching of evolution be removed from the classroom, not at all.
Speaker 4: Not my mantras teach the controversy.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how does that apply when there is no actual controversy.
Speaker 3: Get kids to think, and you know, present the idea one that's been believed by billions of people over the centuries, that an omnipotent creator designed this universe and specifically this planet in all the life forms therein, right alongside Darwin and all those neo Darwinis who evolved his theory.
Speaker 2: That's basically an argument from popularity. Billions of people have believed this, so there must be something to it. Problem is there's really nothing to teach a biology class structure that way would still be ninety nine percent evolution and then a few minutes dedicated to Also, some people think God did it. I also rather enjoyed the vitriol with which he said that neo Darwin has evolved his theory. It shows that he expects scientists to behave like religious leaders. Evolution is our God and Darwin is his prophet. Darwin must not be questioned. So the idea that our understanding of the theory of evolution has changed as we learn more about it is just unthinkable to him. Why don't scientists punish heresy like the church does, Well, it's because there is no heresy in science. One of the most exciting things a scientist can do is prove the last guy wrong about something. So, yes, we have evolved Darwin's original theory, because as groundbreaking as Darwin's work was, it was just that groundbreaking. You wouldn't build a skyscraper by breaking ground and then never putting away the shovels and just keep digging down. No, you break the ground, then you build the foundation, and then Once you have a solid foundation, you start to construct the actual structure. I don't know if that's actually how you build a skyscraper, but you get my point. The first work to be done on a major scientific discovery is by the very nature of how science works, going to be quite different from the more developed work happening more than a century later.
Speaker 5: That's material for religion class, and religion and science should not be mingled.
Speaker 2: That's accurate. I would disagree with the implication here being that it's okay to teach it as though it were true as long as it's not in a science class. But yeah, you don't talk about creation by God in science class for the same reason that you don't talk about the Creb cycle in Civics class.
Speaker 3: Well, my definition of science is the discovery by man of the world that God created with all its laws and its elements and its properties, as confirmed by the scientific method.
Speaker 2: Now, I would actually argue that it's okay for religious people to define science as the study of God's creation as long as they are willing to actually follow the science to its conclusions. If you learn something about how reality works that is in conflict with your theology, it shouldn't be reality that has to bend in order to accommodate your views. Your views should change to accommodate reality.
Speaker 5: I'm afraid, Uglass, you don't get to define science. You should probably stick to defining religion.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: I forgot faux forest is a big meanie.
Speaker 4: Pants Bible already did that.
Speaker 3: James wrote that pure religion is to visit widows and orphans in their distress and keep oneself on spotted.
Speaker 4: From the world.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I bet the Muslims and the Hindus and the Jews and about a zillion other religions are just thrilled to hear that. And by the way, and there are a lot of atheists who give charity to orphans and widows and live according to their own moral standards.
Speaker 2: Aside from the weirdly specific category of orphans and widows, which I assume is just meant to be a catch all for helping those in need. An atheist would be extremely unlikely to add on to the bit about doing it in accordance with their own moral standard, especially an atheist whose whole job is talking to Christians about atheism. All that accomplishes is to set up the apologetic straw man of atheist morality for Donald to come around and knock down.
Speaker 3: Oh, so everyone gets to set their own moral standards. There's no universal standard that applies to everybody.
Speaker 2: There, you go, easy knockdown for Gramps.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the beauty of not believing in God. He can't force his values fun to us.
Speaker 4: But we digress.
Speaker 5: Our conversation was supposed to be focused on evolution.
Speaker 4: Let's get back on track, Ooky Doki, hmm, this.
Speaker 2: Is honestly a fascinating look into his perspective. I think what Donald was going for there is that Gramps had faux forrest on the ropes and was about to make the awesome knockdown argument when Forest suddenly felt the need to change the subject, and since the conversation was just supposed to be about evolution anyway, that gave him an easy escape hatch. Well, just to address the morality thing, The way I see it is that there is no such thing as morality unless there is some sort of goal. A goal that I think works well well is to increase net wellbeing and decrease net harm. If we agree on this as the goal, then we can measure the consequences of any action to see whether there has been an increase in well being and or decrease in harm, and thus determine objectively whether that action was moral or immoral. There is, of course more to it than that I specifically subscribe to a form of compassionate utilitarianism, which accounts for actions for which such a calculation would be impossible and doesn't wind up with the potential for justifying genocide that pure utilitarianism comes with. But as this is not the focus of the video, I will just leave a link to the video where I explained it in more detail and move on.
Speaker 3: Let me throw some names at you, Okay, Franklin Harold who happens to be a biochemist as a scientist, Douglas.
Speaker 2: I just can't with this guy's attempts to write banter. Every movie he writes has characters that are ostensibly friends but argue about everything in a way that I'm sure Donald thinks is witty banter. But that interaction you just saw is par for the course. It's just painful.
Speaker 3: He wrote in a book that was published by Oxford University Press. There are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical or cellular system, only a variety of wishful speculations.
Speaker 2: Well, to quote one Forrest VALKEI, whatever creationist quotes a scientist, just read the next sentence, though in this case I think the previous half of the quoted sentence will suffice quote. We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity. Remember earlier when I said, specific hypotheses about which species is the ancestor of which other species cannot be replicated in the lab. True, However, the critical aspects of evolution can. Well, that's what he was talking about. We know of and have demonstrated in a lab all of the mechanisms that would be required for the development of these biochemical and cellular systems. But to quote him again, same book quote, in the absence of time travel, we may never discover what actually happened, and so a modicum of doubt necessarily persists.
Speaker 3: Well, that's one man's opinion, one scientist's opinion.
Speaker 5: Okay, one scientist opinion, But there are a myriad of other scientists who will disagree with.
Speaker 2: Him, including the one Graham's quote. It at least he'd disagree with the way his quote was presented, as is made clear by the whole rest of the book that it's found in.
Speaker 5: And one thing I just I think we have to point out here right now is that interpretation is key in the quest for truth. First, Douglas, there's the interpretation of the evidence itself, and then we have to interpret the words of the scientists who are describing their interpretation of that evidence.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, that sounds like something answers in Genesis would say. It's more about predictive power. Sure, there are interpretations, but different predictions can be made based on different interpretations of the same data, and the interpretation that makes the most accurate predictions is more likely to be an accurate interpretation than one whose predictions fail. For example, we can look at the rock layers with their myriad of fossils. The younger creationist interpretation of these data is that the fossils were laid down by Noah's flood just over four thousand years ago. The scientific interpretation of these data is that it shows a history of life on Earth going back hundreds of millions of years at the least. Now, with the creationist interpretation we have a few predictions. We wouldn't expect to find the fossils in any particular order. Any organism from any location could be found in any other location as it was swept away by the global flood, And there wouldn't really be much in the way of rhyme or reason as to which organisms would be near the bottom of the rock layers and which would be near the top. There also wouldn't be distinct rock layers, but let's set that one aside now. In the scientific interpretation, the organisms would be showing an evolutionary progression from simple, more generalized organisms to more complex and specialized organisms. What's more, we'd expect that we could make predictions about which specific features would evolve in which rock layers. For example, given what we knew about evolution in the nineteen nineties, researchers predicted that the tetrapod limb structure would first be found in Devonian rock layers. The researchers who made that prediction then set up shop on Ellesmere Island in northern Canada, because there's a bunch of easily accessible Devonian rock there. A few years later, they publish their findings. A basil tetrapod now known as tiktalic. When creationism can look at its model and say, we will find X kind of organism that we've never found before in why type of rock layer, then go out and actually find it, then we can take it seriously as an interpretation, because that is what the evolutionary interpretation can accomplish.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Now it's not a good point, but I'm not surprised that he thinks it is. It is easy to win a debate when you're writing both sides, after all, though for plot purposes, he does eventually have to lose this one. He just couldn't resist the urge to get a couple shots in first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did Harold really mean when he said detailed Darwinian accounts?
Speaker 2: He meant that although we are aware of the mechanisms that are necessary to explain how the systems he was talking about developed, we don't know how it actually did develop, not in the sense that it wasn't possible, but in the sense that we don't have a time machine and so can't go back and see which of the many potential paths evolution actually took. And we can get that interpretation by reading more of his book than just out of context quotes on creationist websites. To quote Donald James Parker.
Speaker 4: You know, reading's kind of become a lost art.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more, Donald, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 3: Read a book, Donald, it seems like the devil's always in the details.
Speaker 4: Huh. Well, I don't believe in the goal figure.
Speaker 3: Well, in my experience, just about every evolutionist it interprets all evidence is confirming evolution, and if they can't do that, they either reject that evidence or ignore it along with the people who bring that evidence to the table.
Speaker 4: You creationists have such a persecution complex.
Speaker 2: No, that's not their persecution complex. I mean they do have one, to be sure, but generally it's more about stuff like public school teachers facing some sort of consequences for refusing to teach true.
Speaker 4: Things, maybe with reason.
Speaker 3: You know, it is bad enough to ignore evidence, but I think it's even worse to manufacture and then you guys do that sometimes.
Speaker 2: Call back to two weeks ago where Calvin of Answers in Genesis Canada completely fabricated a quote and attributed his fabricated quote to an evolutionary biologist. So if we're throwing it out based on unrelated people having fabricated evidence. Then I guess creationism fails thanks to answers in genesis.
Speaker 3: Let me cite a concrete example. Don't worry, I won't mention Nebraska Man or Hackles drawings.
Speaker 2: Nebraska Man was a pig tooth that was misidentified as an early hominid and was promptly recategorized when the error was discovered. Hackel's embryo drawings are a bit more contentious. There is some question as to whether he drew the embryos inaccurately in order to make them appear more similar than they actually were. It is unclear if this is actually what he did, but the study of embryology has progressed largely independent of Hackel. His recapitulation theory was the idea that an embryo goes through all of the body plans that are in its evolutionary history while it develops, and that is what he would have been trying to show if he were actually faking his drawings. But as modern embryology shows a bunch of evidence for homology without relying on Hackel's drawings, then whether or not he actually did fake them is a moot point.
Speaker 3: Richard Dawkins likes to demonstrate how evolution works using a computer program analogy.
Speaker 2: Good for him, I guess I thought you were bringing up a concrete example of someone falsifying evidence.
Speaker 3: So there's a computer program that's going to spell a phrase me thinks it is like a weasel. So let's see if I can explain this so even a scientist can understand.
Speaker 2: He cannot. He explains it like someone who read about it once several years ago but doesn't quite remember it. So I will spare you his explanation and give it to you myself. Dawkins proposed this as kind of a response to the infinite monkeys bang on infinite keyboards to produce the works of Shakespeare thought experiment. As it turns out, if you limit one monkey to a single twenty seven key keyboard twenty six letters plus space, and instead of looking for the entire works of Shakespeare, you just look for the twenty eight character phrase methinks it is like a weasel, then, at a rate of ten million attempts per second, it would take several times longer than the universe has actually existed to randomly produce that phrase. But if you are allowed to iterate, keeping the first nonsense storing of characters and mutating it gradually over successive iterations, then his computer from the nineteen eighties was able to do it in under an hour, and that was before he refined the code to be more efficient and accomplished it in eleven seconds. Now, obviously this has a few issues. For one, evolution does not have an end goal, but somewhat counterintuitively, that actually makes things easier. If we continue the analogy, we can say that the rules of spelling and grammar are the equivalent of the selection pressures that make one genetic sequence favorable and another one unfavorable. With that in mind, we're no longer looking for a specific sentence. We're just looking for any sentence of any length that is correct in both spelling and grammar. The shortest grammatically correct sentence in English is the single word go. It is far easier to get the word go completely at random, but as it happens, we still get to use the iterative method. So even if we didn't get it on our first try, it won't take us longer to get there, or to any of a number of short sentences. But let's say that we do wind up at go and collect our two hundred dollars. Now it is free to mutate into just about any sentence you care to think of, in much the same way as I laid out earlier, with the genome of any organism being capable of transforming into the genome of any other organism through small changes that we know are possible. Now, let's skip past his explanation and see how he responds to it.
Speaker 3: And it continues that whole process until it spells out me thinks it is like a weasel, and then the program just stops.
Speaker 2: Oh so Donald took the analogy farther than it was supposed to go. Yes, the computer program stops because computers are man made machines that do as we tell them. Evolution, however, does not stop. I know a lot of creationists are under the misconception that evolution has finished at this point in history, now that it's reached its pinnacle. But it is still happening.
Speaker 4: And your point, my point.
Speaker 3: First of all, the computer knows the answer, knows where to drop in every one of those letters, and those when to stop.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Donald tells people that he was a computer programmer for most of his career. That means that he should be able to replicate the program that Dawkins made. Hell, I'm a computer programming college dropout and I whipped one up. Here you go, nice. It got it in sixty nine tries. I swear I didn't do that on purpose. So here I'll just run it again to show you it doesn't just go through the same sequence every time. There you go eighty four tries. That time, the nice results from the first run through still stand. My point is that generating a random string of characters the same length as the target phrase is literally the easiest part of the program. Sure, if we want to get all philosophical, we could get into the weeds about how it wasn't truly random. It was the outcome of a calculation performed on a seed number that was chosen in a way as to best appear random. But the same seed will always result in the same initial string of characters, so there is no true randomness here. But we are now way past where this analogy was supposed to end. For the purposes of the analogy, we can pretend that the computer really is is generating a random string of characters, So while it may know the target in advance, it isn't intentionally choosing the letters to make it easier to hit the target. If it were, it wouldn't have needed sixty nine iterative tries. It would have got it on the first try every time, at which point you may as well just have a single line of code that says print. Methinks it is like a weasel, which would then completely defeat the purpose of using this as an analogy.
Speaker 3: Natural selection doesn't have any intelligence to make such a decision.
Speaker 2: Indeed, but it doesn't need it. Remember, natural selection and mutations are two separate things. Random mutations happen. If a mutation provides as recipient with a benefit of some kind in its environment, the recipient will be more likely to survive and reproduce, even if only by a little bit. That is natural selection, the favorable traits tendency to proliferate. It does not matter where those traits came from or what they are. It's simply the fact that ones that help an organism survive will themselves survive along with those organisms. To bring it back to the program, there are several functions which served to from purposes. The mutate function goes through the characters of the parent and mutates them at a predetermined rate zero point zero five in this case, meaning that each character has a five percent chance of mutating to a random character. The fitness function goes through the characters of the child and the target phrase and sees how much of it is a match, giving it a fitness score. The program creates one hundred children in every attempt and selects the one with the highest fitness score to be the parent for the next attempt, discarding the other ninety nine. So in this program, the mutate function is the process of mutation and the fitness function is the selection process natural selection. The fitness function does not interact directly with the mutate function. It just looks at the results that the mutate function provides and decides which one has the highest fitness score. Now, obviously this is not a perfect analogy to nature, but it isn't meant to be. It is merely meant to show how pure randomness is insufficient on its own to explain the diversity of life, but it is sufficient when combined with selection.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't know what the goal is. In fact, it doesn't understand goals. It doesn't have any understanding, It doesn't have any intelligence. It don't know squat correct.
Speaker 2: As already mentioned, not having a goal actually makes the process easier. When our ancestors first of alved a light sensitive patch of cells, it didn't matter that it began a process that would eventually result in our eyes. It just needed to survive better than its cousins that did not have light sensitive cells.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't have any breaks either. It can't start mutations will and much less stop them. So in real life, if you've got to have mutations happening, there's nothing to stop them. We could have end up with a sentence methinks Richard Dawkins is a weasel.
Speaker 2: Yes, evolution has not stopped. It keeps going, and methinks Richard Dawkins is a bit of a weasel. So there you go. Actually, I take it back. Wouldn't want to insult the weasels after all.
Speaker 3: You know, this whole analogy is that logical hot mess.
Speaker 2: When you take it farther than it was ever meant to go, then yes, all it was ever supposed to do is demonstrate the difference between randomness on its own and randomness combined with selection. And it does that.
Speaker 3: But when Richard Dawkins trots out his little dog and Pony show, people like you stand up and cheer.
Speaker 2: Nope, Dawkins is long past his prime, and unfortunately for him, he neglected to take the opportunity to not tank his reputation.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know know if about computers to doubt or even criticize Dawkins.
Speaker 4: Oh how convenient. Well I do.
Speaker 3: In fact, out of curiosity, I wrote a program to do exactly this.
Speaker 2: Oh huh. You know, I actually watched this multiple times before making my video. I watched the whole of his movie by myself, and then I watched it with my partner. Side note, DJP Movies encouraged fornication. She told me she'd have sex with me if only i'd turned the movie off. Thankfully I was able to resist her feminine wiles. But not all men are as strong as me, so you got to watch out for that. Donald. Then I watched just this interview part again, kind of watching it side by side with his actual interview with Forrest. But there's something about it that just stops it from becoming long term memory or something. This isn't the first time he's surprised me in this watch through where I was scripting. I honestly had no idea that he'd already written a similar program, despite my having him seen him say that at least three times by now, though, I would actually like to see his program. Maybe he'll pull it out of my memory hole and surprise me again. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't chose code in this particular movie. I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Speaker 3: Took me seventeen minutes runs in my PC in less than a second. It took about eight thousand on average mutations to spell out the whole phrase.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: I also forgot that I skipped his explanation of what he thought the program was. He misremembered what it was actually doing. Based on his explanation, he would have started from one letter and then either kept it if it happened to be the correct letter, or else randomly mutated and only moved on to the next letter once it had a correct letter, rather than doing a full twenty eight characters at a time. And it actually still kind of works for the analogy that way, if you're allowed to keep the stuff that already exists as a foundation to build on it happens a lot quicker than if you start from scratch every time, so pure randomness loses to randomness plus selection.
Speaker 4: Am I supposed to be impressed with that fat chance of that? But that's not my goal?
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, what even is your goal here? You wrote a program that accomplished largely the same thing as the original, but you misunderstood the point and so took the analogy farther than it was ever meant to go and then declared victory. I don't actually get it.
Speaker 4: Let me drop another name here.
Speaker 3: James Tour is a scientist who likes to debate other scientists using science all even though he is a Christian.
Speaker 2: He's a scientist who uses science to debate science science lea.
Speaker 3: But his opponents always attack his scientific arguments by labeling him as a Christian and a creationist, as if that invalidates any evidence that he brings to the table.
Speaker 2: Tour's primary opponent, as far as I can tell, is Dave Farina, of mister Farina fame, And it's been a while since I've watched his stuff, but what I remember was a whole lot of chemistry that I don't understand. Supplemented with interviews of origin of life researchers. Yes, he did call to her names, probably including creationist, but it was never a matter of you are wrong because you are stupid. It was always more of a you are stupid and you're wrong, and here's a detailed scientific explanation of why you are wrong, along with interviews of scientists who you said supported your position but actually don't.
Speaker 3: He goes out of his way not to mention God, and they always have to bring up the fact that he.
Speaker 2: Is religious, mainly because his primary audience are Christians, who use his supposed expertise to prove that God had to start life. But as it turns out, he's not an origin of life researcher. He is a synthetic organic chemist. None of his publications have anything to do with the origin of life. So despite the fact that chemistry certainly would have been involved at the origin of life, his expertise in carbon nanotubes or whatever the fuck does not translate to origin of life expertise. But on the flip side, you have people like doctor Francis Collins, who is a Christian and is very open about being a Christian, but nobody attacks him for it. At least not that I'm aware of, and that's because he doesn't bludgeon people over the head with demonstrably wrong conclude usions from fields outside of his expertise the way that Tour does.
Speaker 4: Tour is an idiot.
Speaker 3: So you've solved one of his challenges, you know. He said that if anybody solves one of them, you'll take down every one of his videos.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't even know he had a challenge, but I'd imagine that if anyone were to solve his challenge, he'd just shift the goalpost, because we've seen that sort of behavior from him before.
Speaker 5: Douglas he specializes in the origins of life that does not involve evolution, which is my focus, and involves the changes within life, not its inception.
Speaker 2: So this hits on one of the reasons why people attack him for his religion. It's because he doesn't specialize in the origin of life, but he does lie to his audience to claim that he does, and the Christians in his audience tend to believe it. But he actually specializes in synthetic organic chemistry. The origin of life is an intersection of biology, chemistry, geology, and even a sprinkling of astronomy, synthetic organic chemistry is people making organic compounds. Tour seems to specialize in material science, where he tries to find new ways to make graphine. If I recall correctly, there were some shenanigans in all the how his name winds up on so many publications, But that's a whole other can of worms. But yeah, faux Forest is correct in saying that the origin of life is not the same thing as evolution. Even if we knew nothing about it, we could still tell you that evolution is a thing that happens.
Speaker 5: So, okay, just so we're on the same page, what is your definition of evolution?
Speaker 4: Definitions are critical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in fact, we should have started this discussion with this question. Okay, my definition of evolution involves macro evolution. I have no problem with micro evolution, which is changes and adaptations within a species.
Speaker 2: So his definition of evolution is that it includes macro evolution, but microevolution is defined as changes and adaptations with his species. It's a weird definition, but the actual definition, at least as put forward by the Berkeley Evolution one on one website, is dissent with inherited modification. But I guess you can't go with that one because it covers both micro and macro evolution. Since creationists can't deny microevolution, they are left uggling to explain how there is some magical barrier between micro and macro. Somehow the centimeters could just never add up to a kilometer, The pages can never accumulate to a book, the step could never rise to the level of marathon.
Speaker 3: Now, macro evolution is the good to you via the zoo theory that all life started out as one celled organisms and progressed through millions of years through gradual, non directed mutations to the DNA which proved to be advantageous to survival.
Speaker 2: Did you hear yourself, Donald, macro evolution is the gradual non directed mutations. That's small changes micro evolution that over millions of years add up to big changes macro evolution. You can't even define them without accidentally acknowledging that they are the same thing, just with different scales.
Speaker 5: Really, well, no wonder you'd have a problem with that. I would have a problem with evolution based on that definition. You know, evolution is so much more complex than justmutation selection. First of all, microevolution demonstrates the process that leads to macroevolution, and there's lots of other changes that are involved than just mutation selection.
Speaker 4: Are you familiar with the term epigenetics? Oh?
Speaker 2: This is painful. This is almost a direct mirror of his actual conversation with Forest, but he's turned Forest into this impatient asshole. It also shows that he was listening to the words that Forest said, but he didn't put any effort into understanding them, and Forrest was constantly checking in throughout the conversation to make sure that he was following, but instead of asking any clarifying questions, he'd just nod and say, okay, well, clearly not understanding. For example, this is the end of a segment where Forrest gave what I thought was a really good explanation of epigenetics directed at a layperson.
Speaker 7: And that's really important because in evolution, it's the phenotype is the physical body that gets selected for, not the genes. The genes cause the physical body, but not all of them and not all the time, and so it's a really important distinction. Does that make any sense what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: That would have been an excellent time for Donald to ask some questions about aspects that he didn't understand, but instead of doing that, he just wanted to move on. And I may be reading too much into it here, but what I sensed happened there is something that I experienced myself when I was a creationist. Forrest was making sense. And if Forest is right, then Gramps has a lot of reevaluating to do, and that's scary, so rather than look into it, he'll just move on. That happened to me with astronomy and the age of the Earth. I have called myself a former Young Earth creationist in the past, but if you've heard me tell the story before, you'll know that that's not entirely accurate. The problem was that I have always loved astronomy, so I knew that there were objects in the sky that we can see that are thousands, millions, and billions of light years away. And I knew that a light year was the distance that light can travel in a year. So if an object is billions of light years away, then that means the light had to have been traveling from that object for billions of years in order to reach us. And when I started looking into the creationist answers to this problem, I found them deeply unsatisfying, and that scared me, so I stopped looking into it and became non specific about my view on the age of the Earth. And that is what I think we just saw play out between Forest and Grams. I actually feel a little bit bad for the guy, just.
Speaker 5: A little No, okay, how about the leles No okay, I thought so well, without any changes to the DNA sequencing, epigenetic expression changes lead to new functionality in the phenotype containing that DNA.
Speaker 2: I really do love how the actor obviously had his lines written on the laptop so he doesn't have to remember all the big science he.
Speaker 5: Words, and the natural stressors also lead to such alterations. Without such knowledge, Douglas, you're not equipped to just go poking holes in any scientific theory.
Speaker 2: And science wins because the science guy threw out a bunch of complicated science words. I'm sure that's how Grams actually thinks this conversation went. It's it's sad. I know I said that already, but it is sad.
Speaker 3: You know, to rephrase the old chicken versus egg question, which came first DNA or the first mutation brought it about?
Speaker 2: A change that depends on which hypothesis about a biogenesis is correct, and what you consider to be a mutation. If the RNA world hypothesis is true, for instance, then mutations predate DNA. If metabolism first is true, then something like mutations would have been happening, but without genetic material, they wouldn't really fit the definition of a mutation. But I doubt Gramps is aware of either hypothesis, So let's rephrase his question to be more in line with what he probably understands. Which came first genetic material or mutations to genetic material? And when phrased that way, the answer becomes rather obvious genetic material and.
Speaker 4: Why you're struggling with that conundrum?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that I was supposed to be struggling with that for a bit. My bad.
Speaker 3: I'm going to throw out the bold statement that only a creator could explain the coding sequences that we find in DA.
Speaker 2: Why is it because you're a computer guy and so your understanding of code is in the programming sense, Because that's not actually how DNA works. That is an analogy that is sometimes helpful to high school students, but ultimately DNA works through chemical reactions, not instructions being carried out. The presence or absence of different chemicals or enzymes and whatever will change how the DNA is expressed. That's why your eye cells know to be eye cells, even though they have all the genetic material necessary to be liver cells or bone cells or muscle cells or whatever.
Speaker 5: Well, let me throw out a name for you, Douglas Stephen Hawking. Stephen Hawking said religion is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark.
Speaker 3: Hum And John Lennox said that atheism is a fairy tale for people afraid of the light.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Hawking said something that isn't relevant to this discussion, and John Lennox responded with n uh, I'm not the scaredy pants. You're the one who the scaredy pants. I'm not sure what was supposed to be accomplished with that, but okay.
Speaker 5: Lennox is a mathematician and a senile old man.
Speaker 2: And Hawking was a cosmologist, so why he was brought up in a discussion on evolution is beyond me. That's basically the end of this segment of the movie. The rest of the movie is his hot daughter winning debates with fau Forest because she distracts him with her feminine wiles, before eventually converting him to Christianity with the question what is love? Baby? Don't hurt me. Don't hurt me now more. I won't subject you to that, though I did just subject you to my singing, which is arguably worse than that today's common to today. It comes to us from phil Lepperchhn six two four zero, who says, I wish I could remember where I heard or read it, but I saw something that said Nero's persecution of Christians was actually a fabrication of Eusebius in the fourth century CE. Sounds like something from maybe Apologia or Mythvisions, but I don't recall well. Regardless of where you heard it, it doesn't pass the sniff test for me. Tacitus was writing about Neuro persecuting Christians in the first half of the second century, and scholars nearly unanimously agree that the relevant passage is authentic. Suetonius also noted that under Nero, punishment was inflicted on the Christians, a class of men given to a new and mischievous superstition. So I'm not sure how a guy writing several centuries afterward could have invented it. Thanks for watching. I'll be back next Friday with more, but if you need to get your ryno fix in before then. I last stream of service every Wednesday eight thirty Eastern on my other channel, The Watering Hole, and periodically published shorts on the channel of Vice Rhino Shorts. Thanks to Piper for being my editor, and special thanks as always to my patrons, who are the bad movies made by the sad old Man. That is my channel. If you'd like to make a movie about how friends don't let friends be Jewish, seriously, that's one he made, go.
Speaker 7: Hangou.
Speaker 2: You can join us on Patreon for as little as a dollar per week over at patreon dot com, slash Vice Rhino, or by supporting the channel and one of the other methods that can be found at links dot vicerono dot com, which is also where you'll find links to my other projects. If for whatever reason you want to send me stuff, my pobox addresses in the description see and next time. H Okay, you know what's coming. You know what's coming. It's double O seven dan, the ln dan and then then then the lun dan and then then