Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to another episode of Eyes on Jill Pollocks. I'm here with Thomas Sugar, Jonathan Hackett, and Jack Murphy. For the people that don't know who Tom is, he actually did a great episode on the Team House. You should check that out. Talking about his career, he's a former US Navy samriner who served more than twenty five years and he's now a data analyst, defense analyst excuse me, and ajunk senior fellow at the Center for New American Security, where obviously he focuses on the end of Pacific and the involving like and just the balance between America and Chinese militaries and stuff. So he's the guy who's keeping his eye on all this. He's got a great Twitter account. I suggest anyone's interested in this topic to check him out and follow him there. I'll leave a link in the description as well, and you can find them. Tom. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Leasure to be here. Thanks t of course.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously, I feel like the China American you know, rivalry has kind of taken a back seat, at least in the press since Iran started, and there's obviously some connections there too, like there's some rumor that China is helping Iran with some targeting or at least supplies. You know, definitely they were the biggest Iranians. They were Iran's biggest customer for oil, so there are some connections there, But I definitely want to focus on that US Chinese rivalry where it's at. You know, I just saw that China just had some like live fire drills off the coast of Taiwan a few days ago for a couple of days, and like just where we're at essentially now, July twenty twenty six with this, you know, this thing that will basically define the next probably fifty years.
Speaker 2: So I would say that while there has been perhaps a drop off a bit in the rhetoric of the of the competition as it were, I mean, the the facts on the ground haven't from China's site certainly haven't dialed back at all. You know, they are being aggressive as they ever were in the South China Sea. You know, we just saw the other day Chinese sailors, you know, beating on Philippine sators with sticks. Remember that that's a treaty ally of the United States. We're talking about that they're you know, conducting violent action against the development of the Chinese military has if anything, the trajectory has increased in the last few years. We now have multiple classes of nuclear submarines under production. We have the commander of the Office of Naval Intelligence and Testimony recently said that Chinese submarine production is now going to go all nuclear. They're not going to build conventional submarines anymore, which is quite a surprise to me. And development. We have their first nuclear powered aircraft carrier under construction. We have the revelation that they are using even more than we thought commercial shipping and practicing conducting amphibious assaults. We have increasing numbers of Chinese aircraft crossing the Median Line and the Taiwan straight. We now have the Chinese not just Coast Guard, but their whole of government other agencies as well, acting like they own the waters east of Taiwan, waters that are actually, you know, really should be divided between the Philippines and Japan. I mean, so, the facts on the ground in the in the Pacific are, if anything, more aggressive than they were in the past. It's just the US government doesn't seem to be choosing to make a lot of hay about it right now? At this point, I guess they've got other things they're busy with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boys, any questions go ahead please?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think you know, based on what you're saying, I'd be interested to hear you expand on the arms production because my impression at least of China is that their strategy in the past.
Speaker 4: Has been not to meet US tank for tank.
Speaker 2: Fighter jet for fighter, jet, carrier for carrier. Is that still.
Speaker 3: True and if it is, what do you think or how do you interpret this sort of like I guess increase in proliferation.
Speaker 2: So I think what we'll see is until Taiwan is resolved one way or another, uh, there will be a pretty significant asymmetry between what China is doing and the and the capabilities are developing. And what we traditionally see is US power projection capabilities because Taiwan's only a hundred miles away, right, So you need different capabilities to do that. So, for example, let's talk about amphibious assault vessels. So you know, when you look at the US Navy and it's amphibious assualt vessels, you have you know, large anthimous assault chips. You know, forty thousand plus tons. In some cases they're equipped to operate, you know, thousands of miles from home for months at a time. That's overkilled for the Taiwan straight you don't you need something that can efficiently take troops as fast as possible, load them as fast as possible, goal hundred miles unloaded them as fast as possible, will come back and get more. Right. So, so while China does have and is building more Amphibisa salt ships that are similar to those that we build, that's not the meat and potatoes of what they would need to do with Taiwan invasion. That's where a China uses an asset that it has and we don't have any any longer, which is a massive merchant marine. So they're going to so the vast majority of the steed lift capacity that the China would use. And this is not theoretical, right, we see them practicing doing this routinely in their exercises. So they use civilian vessels that have been modified, built to national defense standards, owned by state owned companies that are run by the Chinese Communist Party. I mean literally the leadership structure of these companies is dual headed Chinese Communist Party and Company, you know, they use these all the time. These are ferries, These are landing craft tank which I l SATs and I can I get expand on this some more kind of remarkable discovery last year. So civilian vessels that are used for kind of the dump trucks of the sea that are derived on landing craft designs, we're now seeing them use those in exercises. So that's going to kind of be the meat and potatoes of a Taiwan invasion. On the firepower end of it, it's going to be rocket launchers like kind of China's Cheimar so to speak, but that are long, longer range. So those are capabilities that are asymmetric that are going to be focused on that kind of assault. Now at the same time, China is developing capabilities that do look more like the traditional markers of US global power projections, so nuclear powered aircraft carriers, more nuclear submarines, nuclear power, ballistic missile submarines, tankers, strategic air lift. That's all going to is starting to look in some cases toward that, you know, toward the future where you have a China that has you know, they made it clear their goals to have a world class military. Well that's the kind of things you have to have a world class military that projects power worldwide. So over time, I think it will start to look a little bit more like like those US capabilities. But they've still got to get past Taiwan first. And Tom, I'm curious.
Speaker 5: You know, China is building up a lot of these assets, these physical things, but their forces haven't been tested in combat, and of course or that as a huge question mark of how will they stand up? Just like any military, including our own World War Two? You know, there were early moments when we learned a lot of lessons very quickly, And I'm curious, how do you see that playing out? How has China developed kind of a rapid lessons learned uptake to an anticipation of something like that happening.
Speaker 2: So I think that that point has flidity, the sense that they have not engaged in combat operations. But what I'd say it's important to keep in mind is what kind of combat operations have they engaged in? And have we engaged in? So the United States, yes, has engaged in lots of wars over the last you know, twenty years. However, none of them were against a peer competitor that had anything close to our capabilities. So I think the utility of that and calling a difference between the two is maybe a little less than people might think. Let me give you an example. Between World War One and World War Two. You know, the Wehrmachs didn't fight anyone for twenty years. There was almost no one in the German army, very few. You know, you had a few really senior officers who had been in World War One twenty years before, but very few of their personnel had been involved in combat with a with a peer adversary and high end warfare. On the other hand, you had the UK who had been engaged in all kinds of brush fire wars, you know, colonial essentially imperial management around the world against various we call them Third world countries today. Well, which army was better prepared for high end combat when the shooting started between peer industrialized nations would say, I would say, I don't think they would want to look at the Germans and say, well, they weren't ready for the war because they didn't fight, They didn't fight for twenty years, but clearly they were they were doing the right kind of training for the fighting that they were going to have to do. Now, of course, you did have German observers in other conflicts, you know, in the Spanish Civil War, probably observing. I know, I think they're working with the Russians some probably in the Finland War that might have been.
Speaker 4: Observing there any civil war also.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well, and who do we have watching the Russell Ukraine conflict. You've got Chinese observers. They're getting the latest lessons earned probably at Russian headquarters seeing how they do business, learn lessons for them. So I'm I'm not as confident about that. Also, I would keep in mind that we have to look at the fact that any conflict in the Western Pacific is going to be the decisive elements. They are probably going to be in the air and at sea. You know, they're going to be air in naval combat. I mean, if there is an attempt to invade Taiwan, the conflict will eventually be finished one way or the other on the ground in Taiwan, but it'll be decided in the air and at sea. You know, if the Chinese military, through air and sea superiority, has unfettered access to Taiwan, it can send as much troops and supplies as it wants across. I don't see any way that that Taiwan survives that, so uh and that assuming that Taiwan is isolated and can't get supplies in like Ukraine can. So if that conflict is going to be decided in air and at sea, well when's the last time anybody fought appeer navy? See, it's not the Iran War, that's for sure. The closest thing we have is the Falklands in the nineteen eighties. So you know, we have to remember that there's two ships in the United States Navy that have sunk another warship at sea, and that's USS Constitution, which we did it in nineteen and the War of eighteen twelve and is in Boston Harbor. And now we have USS Charlotte, the submarine that sank, and essentially I wouldn't say defenseless, but pretty helpless or Anian frigates. So I don't think either side has a lot of experience in really high end naval combat. And I think we have to be very careful about thinking otherwise.
Speaker 3: I mean, the other question I'd like to ask, and this is more of a political question, I suppose, is sort of the timing. And We've been having this conversation for many years now, and China has made it's always been China's policy to reintegrate, reunify Taiwan into the mainland. Why hasn't that happened yet? What are the Chinese waiting for? Is the wars in Ukraine in the Middle East? Is that sort of like figuring into their calculus that they don't want to become a global pariah? What do you think is there is the reason why they haven't made this attempt yet.
Speaker 2: So I always always make clear to that that I am a military analyst, not a political analyst. I know, so I look at it from a military perspective, and I think certainly up until this point, it's been pretty clear that they didn't have the military capability to be able to successfully to have confidence that they would that they would win an invasion of Taiwan and succeed in the event of a US intervention, That they didn't have the ability to deter in it a US intervention, and they didn't have the ability if they failed to deter, to defeat a US intervention. So that's a pretty pretty clear reason why they wouldn't try. So the question becomes, when do they reach the point where they do have the confidence that they're going to succeed That either they have the confidence that they're they will be able to convince the United States not to intervene, or if he or the US intervenes, it won't matter, they'll be able to defeat it. So that's that's why we have to I think if you're watching those capabilities that are that they're developing, I think I think at this point, probably deterring a US intervention is what they may be hoping for. But but they if you look at Chinese doctrine, they always say you have to be ready for that for the intervention of the powerful enemy they call it, you know, which is their their their code for the United States. That means they have to be ready for a protracted conflict. They also talk about that in their in their h in their doctrinal texts. So you know, that's that is I think what they're worried about. I think that's that's what's kept them from pulling the trigger. From a military perspective. So then the question is will there come a time you know, Chi Jiping has told the PLA to be ready to execute and a a invasion of an assault on Taiwan in twenty twenty seven. Are they going to be there? I don't know. I mean, it's it's hard to tell at this point that I think they're doing the kinds of things that I would expect them to do to be able to do that.
Speaker 4: You might be muted, John, Yeah, I was having some mic problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see John's going. They'll be right back after these messages. Now, Hello everyone. If you're hearing this you are not a member of the Patreon you can get your hands on ad free episodes that come out early and you can ask us questions maybe we'll answer them. You can also watch the Team House podcast completely ad free and early, and you can also watch it live as we interview our guests. And it's the best way to support the channel. So if you can, if you're open to it, you can go to patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. That link is in the description. We appreciate the supporters and we hope you would consider being one. So it's Patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. Thanks guys. In your mind, Tom, what's your like? What's the most pressing issue between the US and China, both militarily and politically. I mean, if they did go in in twenty twenty seven and try to take Taiwan, obviously this is kind of skewing into a political question there the US be there to interdict, to stop it, to try and stop it. You know, we're seeing like THAD missile batteries being moved from the in and around the theater and stuff like that. I mean that obviously signals something to China. Right where are you at with that? Like, where's your thought process there?
Speaker 2: I just don't know at this point. I mean, you know, we had pretty clear statements from the last administration from the president, from President Biden that you know, he said things like straight up the United States would intervene in the case of a of a of a Chinese assault on Taiwan. Were to the point that the administration, you know, the folks below him kind of reeled it back at times and said, well, the United States our policy remains the same as it ever was. You know, are strategic ambiguity. You know, we would consider it to be a grave problem, but it doesn't mean we're gonna you know, they would they would kind of walk that back. President Trump has kind of said things now and then that it's hard to tell where he would go on this where you know, he's given indications he wouldn't would not defend Taiwan in some cases. But at the same time you have it, you have a natural defense strategy that very explicitly says a goal is to prevent China from gaining control the first island chain, of which China, of which Taiwan is kind of the lynchpin in the center of the first island chain. So it's hard to know, quite frankly, what what what this administration would do in the event of that. I think any administration against the Chinese military that really has been fully prepared is going to face some pretty grave decisions about about what to do. This would not be free for the United States to intervene, and China has been looking at this problem for decades now and is basically building the military that is the scariest that you could deal with, you know, that is built for the American way of war, that is designed to destroy the bases that the U, the US has come to rely upon in the region. That's designed to attack the US's highest value naval units at see. It's it's aircraft carriers. If you look in particular, you know there was one kind of ominous development recently. The Air Force War College air Force Air War Colleges, China Aerospace Studies Institute CISI recently released a study that they had found, using open source imagery a new type of Chinese missile launcher being tested at in the desert in western China. And what this was basically a large rectangular kind of retractable roof silo complex. But it wasn't just one silo. It appeared to be one kind of building that would have multiple medium rangeableist MRBM sized missiles in it, and if you do the math, I'm guessing something like twelve to sixteen missiles per one of these things. So basically the roof would roll back and this thing would launch like a vertical launch system but full of humongous MRBMs missiles that can hit all of Japan, potentially Guam or beyond. These were just underevelable, but this is a couple of years ago, and they move pretty fast on this stuff, so it's possible that, you know, that sort of thing could be under construction. Now why does that worry me? Because that is the kind of weapon system that is built for a first strike, that's built for them to use it first. It's a user or to lose it type weapon system. Here you got a fixed target with a bunch of missiles in one place that are relatively expensive, that could be struck in event of an ongoing conflict. It's very much the kind of thing you used to initiate a conflict or to threaten to start of it. So I talked about this on Twitter like this is this is a textbook first strike weapon. So to see them testing those a couple of years ago, now this is when these images were taken, makes me wonder are they are they being built somewhere. That's the kind of thing that I worry about, in conjunction with their improvements and amphibious capacity, that indicates they really are making the preparations that the kind of things you would need to be able to again either to defeat or ideally deter US intervention.
Speaker 1: John, you was about today, please, yeah, I was curious.
Speaker 5: You know, we're talking a lot about the march toward conflict, and I wonder about them away from conflict. I mean in early maybe let's say fifteen twenty years ago, we allowed impact to have Chinese observers. We've allowed other periods of time to have Chinese military folks interacting with US in exchanges and different things, kind of like trying to pool some tensions or at least bring each other closer for.
Speaker 4: Various diplomatic reasons.
Speaker 5: What do you think that the way forward on that could be if you were if you were going to make, you know, an argument to say that's a good idea, what are some ways the government could actually do that that would be effective.
Speaker 2: So I think the tricky part of those connections between the US military and China is that it's pretty consistently the US has tried to have those hotlines open and lines of communications open because I think we see that as useful and part of this based on our experience in the Cold War. You know, we set up a hotline with Moscow for a reason, and we found that to be useful that from both side, for both sides, to prevent and on, you know, and misunderstandings from turning into something bigger. The Chinese, I think, I think think have from what I've read, seem to see this very differently, and that they see those those lines of communication as something to reward us with when when we're when we're behaving the way they like us to behave because they know that we seem to want that more than they do. They actually there are accounts that they see some utility in the lack of those lines of communication causing us to be more cautious. They want us to be more uncertain about what might happen, and that therefore will be more cautious. So they see withdrawing those lines of communication in a crisis as a means of getting us to back down because we're too worried about about a conflict breaking out. So I think they see that in a very different way than we do. Uh. You know, I oftentimes see writers in the think type space say, you know, we should have more we should have more open lines of communication with China, and I think everybody agrees. But you talk to the Chinese about it, you know, if you want, if you want traction on that on that argument, write the article in Chinese, because they're the ones that really are the one that usually blocking that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: We interviewed an FBI league at at the embassy in China years ago, and he had this incredible story about how everything with the Chinese is so transactional. And his example was they got word, unfortunately, of an American citizen at a Chinese school who was abusing children, and they went to the Chinese authorities and said, Hey, this guy's a bad dude.
Speaker 4: You know, this is a criminal. He's hurting kids. You need to go and arrest them. And the Chinese were like, okay, you released a couple of our spies. We'll go get them. And the guy was.
Speaker 3: Like, what, Like, this isn't like a trade, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just very legal attache, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, act.
Speaker 5: I want to jump back in, Tommy, you're talking about the first and Second Island chain. Some years ago, I was in the South China see doing some stuff for another partner we had, and we were getting daily Chinese overflights of pairs of Chinese aircraft, basically violating the sovereign airspace of that country. And I'm curious from where you sit and what you analyze, what do you think the role of that second Island Chain will play for China if they were to go. If you know, the main objective is Taiwan, what are they doing in those envelopes around those island chains to kind of enable that operation.
Speaker 2: So China has if you look at China's naval strategy over time, they started with the idea of near sea's operations. So their first goal was to be able to gain sea control inside the first island chain, you know that. So for those not familiar, first island chain is basically Japan down through Taiwan, the Philippines, kind of the first set of island chains that encompass the Yellow Sea, the East China Sea, South China Sea. Second island chain is further out. It's Guam, it's the Marianas. You know, it's down through maybe parts of Indonesia. I don't know if I don't know if you call Australia part of it, but but there. The longer term goal in Chinese naval strategy has been to between the first and second island chains. So in the Philippine Sea, for example, at least get to a point where they had seed denial that they can prevent operations by others, and they call those far seas operations. But to be clear, they do have a goal to gain the gain control of those far seas and longer term too, just to actually get sea control in the in between the first and second island chains. So folks understand what we're talking about here, so they have so seed denial and sea control those are wor those are wartime concepts. It's the idea that during the war, seed denial is you preventing the other side from using a given area of water, not all the time, but in most times most places. So right now, for example, Iran is essentially waging a seed denial campaign in the Straighterhorn Moves. They're basically trying to deny the use of that not all the time, but most times most places, whereas the US is attempting to gain sea control over the straderh Horn moves, where most times, in most places, we can use that waterway for our use, and we've seem to have a limited success there. China would be trying to basically at the minimum sea control inside the first island chain seed then aisle out to the second island chain. Their longer term goals to gain sea control out to the second island chain as well. So in wartime, having gained sea control inside the first island chain allows China to keep its ports open to be able to get imports in and out of China. I think there are a lot of folks that kind of assume that we could shut off China's seaborn imports in wartime, and I think that's a dangerous assumption to make, because we have to remember that trade out at sea is highly internationalized. Like ships that are going to China don't necessarily have a big sign on the side of it and say that we're going. I mean, they may be broadcasting something on AIS, but it could be a lie. Cargoes get bought and sold and route, so you can't just sink ships in the middle of the Indian Notion, for example, or maybe even at Malaca. You may not be able to reliably tell where something's going even as it goes thro the shade of Malaca. So the only way to really stop shipping from going into China is to threaten the actual entrance is the Chinese ports. Well, if China gained sea control where they can effectively protect the approaches to their ports, and it becomes much more difficult to cut them off from seaborne trade. The perfect example I give of that how difficult this can be is ever given. So maye people may remember that that was the ship that ran aground in the straight hr in the in the Suez Canal a few years ago, it was a ship that basically ran aground and was blocking the Suez Canal. That ship was, let me see if I can remember, Japanese built, Japanese owned, chartered to a Taiwanese company with mostly Indian crew, carrying goods from China to Europe. I mean, do you sink that ship in the in the middle of the Indian Ocean? Do you stop it and board it at the straight h horn moves? But it is carrying trade from China, so so I think I think that problem is much more difficult than people think it is. And that's where that first island chain, second island chain stuff really comes to the four. I think it it's worth remembering too, we've gotten a pretty good lesson here with the straighter hard moves that you can't make these shippers go through right there if they think it's too risky. And that's been a bit of a surprise, I think to a lot of people, myself included, because it even if you say, hey, we'll convoy you, even if you say we're going to give you insurance, they may still not go right if they if they think the risk is too great. And these shipping companies don't owe any allegiance to the United States, they don't own any allegiance to allies. They're flagged all kinds of places, they're owned all kinds of places, so it may be very difficult to have shipping continued your allies. China is not like that, right, China has an enormous merchant marine. It's Chinese flagged, it's Chinese owned, it's crewed by Chinese, and they can make those guys keep going. And that's where that I think that physical control inside the first island chain really matters.
Speaker 5: We talked a lot about the conventional aspect just now, but also with the maritime aspect, the merchant marine kind of moving into the less conventional category or kind of quasi gray zone. Let's say, what about the actual unconventional warfare capability in Taiwan if this thing was to go off, obviously maybe having a very conventional confrontation, whether that's Taiwan or the US or both against China, what would the unconventional insurgency or other types of resistance that are non conventional potentially look like.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one for me. You know, I really am kind of a maritime, air naval analyst for the most part. I mean, Chinese doctrine certainly talks about what they call sabotage operations, which would basically be special forces. You know, there's certainly we see plenty of stories of Taiwanese former officers and other you know, Taiwanese citizens that have gotten a foul of the law in basically being bought out by the Chinese. So I think there, whether it's money or ethnic cohesion or family ties or whatever, there's certainly I think of much more risk of fifth column activities behind the lines than there is potentially with you know, one nation state versus another nation state, and you don't have those connections. Are different, different ethnicities that you know that they're they're different, they look different, you know. I think there's a lot more risk of that behind the lines in Taiwan. I think to the Taiwanese should expect disruptions like that, they should expect some pretty significant fifth call activities. I do worry about, you know, there being elements of the Taiwanese society that kind of open the gates and let you know, let let the invaders in potentially. I think that that, you know, that's why I think I think Atomy's government has to be very very careful about that stuff, and I think they are. I think they're certainly working hard to try to eliminate that sort of thing, but it's definitely a risk. I think that the Chinese military talks about three D island assault, three dimensional island assault, so there's gonna be a significant airborne angle to it. There's gonna be a significant helicopter assault angle to it that could certainly result in a lot of folks being put down behind the lines. I think you can see. You know, they've got their own special operations forces. You know, there's all kinds of things are probably gonna do with those folks. China has tens of thousands of fishing boats that they can use to transport small teams to do things. That's that's another asymmetric advantage they have that really doesn't exist anywhere else. So there's plenty of opportunity to have a bit of a Swiss Cheese effect on the tilings defenses in the manner that you're talking about. I think that's what if that answers your question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really interesting. Another subject I'd like to touch upon.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe this is separate, but related is rare earth minerals on the seabed and I've seen some papers about this, and I was wondering what you think about how those, if any of those deposits play into the sort of conflict we've been talking about, and if that relates to you know, sub subsurface warfare as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, China clearly has put us in a bit of a hammer lock with with rare earth. I mean, we saw how things didn't go well with the trade war that the President initiated against China. They pretty quickly pull that lever on rare verse and force force the US to back down. How does that apply in a military conflict. I think it matters more for a protracted conflict than it does for a short term one. You know, it's that's really something that's going to speak to longer term industrial production and ability to apply supply munitions and replacement parts. And that's part of their game plan, you know, when when they when they their doctrine specifically says for a campaign against the powerful enemy. And again that's us that you have to specifically with that enemy. You have to consider the profit possibility of protracted conflict, which is then going to be driven in large part by industrial production and national resilience. So yeah, their ability to have more of a hammer, even more of a hammer lock on that area of industrial production is going to matter, you know, doesn't matter as much in wartime. I don't know. I'm not sure if that kind of activity you can can continue on. I mean, many of the places that they're looking at to do that are in the Central Acif these are not close to China for the most part, So can they sustain that in wartime? I doubt it. Now, are there other angles to it? Sure? I mean a lot of places where these things exist are areas where US vessels would be transitting back and forth, both in peace time and wartime. Reporters have asked me, could they leave behind things that would be useful for them? Yeah, they could leave bhind sensors potentially if they've got industrial activity. We have to remember, like anything that Chinese do, like, they have a very specific military civil fusion strategy that leverages their civilian industry for military purposes. They're quite clear about it, although in recent years that they have kind of talked a little less about it because it was so obvious what they were doing. So you should assume that if there's any industrial activity they're taking that could have military benefits, that those are being used for military purposes as well. So let's say they are doing it, you know, mineral mining on the bottom of the ocean, If there is a possibility that that activity could have military benefits by harvesting data, by looking at the bottom type, by leaving behind sensors, by whatever, I would assume they're doing it. I mean, there's no reason that they would. These are not Chinese companies, are not normal companies. They don't just operate for a profit. They operate at the behest of the CCP. So if there's a military utility, is something they're doing, you should just seem they're there. You should assume that they're getting it.
Speaker 1: I have a question talking about a protractive fight, what would it look like if we weren't a protracted fight with China? And like, where are like statuses in terms of shipbuilding is nowhere near. We don't have the capacity anywhere near China what China does. So let's say a war does last a couple of years and we lose a couple of aircraft carriers, or we lose a couple of destroyers. How do we replenish that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know at this point, I don't. I have a hard time imagining. I guess keeping up. Uh, they're they've got such a head start in shipbuilding. I mean, could we improve from where we are? Yes? Absolutely, you know we could reopen shipyards have been closed, but it takes time to train the people to do that. We have to remember the last time we were in a you know, as I said, it's been a long time since we were in a peer naval war at sea. Well, the last time we did that was World War Two. The last time the US fought a peer competitor at sea was the Battle of Layte Gulf in October nineteen forty four. So what did that conflict look like from a protracted war perspective? Well, everybody knows, right the Chinese, I'm sorry Chinese. The Japanese executed an attack you know, it's Pearl Harbor and destroyed a significant portion of the US Pacific fleet, and yet still lost the war because there was a tidal wave of American naval production that had begun in nineteen thirty eight and nineteen forty, you know, years before that point. The Two Ocean Navy Acts of nineteen thirty nineteen forty financed humongous increases in the size of the US Navy, so that that large capital ship production was already happening at the time the war started. It didn't really matter if the Japanese lost had won or lost the Battle of Midway, they still would have been overwhelmed by US carrier production. It didn't really matter what happened to the Battle of the Coral Sea. They still would have been overwhelmed by US uh, you know, capital ship production. So the thing that's scary to me about the Chinese at this point is they're the ones practicing executing the Pearl Harbor attack on the US in the form of a surprise attack using ballistic missiles and other and other weapons. But they also have the huge industrial production on their side. So it's like, I'm worried about a poor harbor happening to us, and we're the ones that are going to get out produced after the attack is over and after we've incurred those losses. So I am deeply worried about about that capacity. I think it also when you look at the ability to deal with battle damage. You know, China has the US Navy in peace time without any battle damage. It's having a great deal of difficulty just completing its normal maintenance just from our ships getting used not necessarily being uh, you know, caught incurring battle damage. The Chinese ship building industry, it's again it's dual purpose. The same shipyard pumps out warships that pumps out commercial vessels, and they also do overhauls and refits on military vessels as well. So that's more capacity again than in the event of a conflict, could be used to repair battle damage as well. So yeah, I'm deeply worried about that asymmetry in shipyard capacity and the event up protracted war.
Speaker 5: Speaking of ase symmetries, especially in special operations world, a lot of times we heard about unrestricted warfare. The book that was written nineteen ninety nine by two plaaf Kernels, this was kind of like the source document that we had a lot when especially talking about great power competition and like how to so com fit into that and so on. That was like the doctrinal book we had from the other side. How much weight does that still actually hold from the other side, if it ever did, If you.
Speaker 2: Know, I tend to focus on the doctrinal texts that I look at, or the Science of Campaigns from two thousand and six, because those are more like the joint. First of all, they're highly authoritative, so they're published by their National Defense University, So two thousand and six Science of Campaigns, the twenty thirteen Science of Military Strategy, and then a twenty twenty version. One problem we have is that a lot of that production is dropped off, Like there's fewer of those texts that are now being released into the open source world, so it's hard to know. Obviously, there's been a lot of changes and a lot of lessons that have been learned from the Russo Ukraine War and drones in the last few years, so I'm sure there have been changes to the way China is looking at combat like that, but it's difficult to know because they don't really replace that. They haven't really released those the replacements for those texts. That being said, I think much of the larger, you know, bigger muscle movement military that we see being in production now is I think it makes sense to see from a doctrine, from a document like that from twenty years ago, that's kind of the timeline for this is how we're going to do this thing. Okay, let's start working on the product, the weapons system development and then the testing, and you know, twenty year timeline is kind of consistent with that. So it makes sense that we'd be seeing in Chinese military that in its kind of longer term larger capital investment areas like ballistic missiles, hypersonics using merchant because they talk in Science of Campaigns about using merchant merchant, you know, merchant ships to supplement you know, selift. We see the carriers being built. I mean, all that kind of stuff is on that timeline. So those tend to be the documents that I'm used. There's some fantastic translations by against c ASI. China Aerospased Studies Institute has translated some of those documents. The trouble is, again we're not saying much in recent years. That's really dropped off a lot.
Speaker 5: There's a book by Fravel called Active Defense. I don't know if you've read that at Princeton that talks about kind of the idea of luring the enemy in deep and then engulfing them, which is based off like earlier Maoist thought, but it has for some time remained I don't know if it still remains.
Speaker 2: I'm curious from that.
Speaker 5: Strategic perspective, is that still a valid concept for them?
Speaker 2: Sure? I mean, after defense, is that is still something they've at least again the documents we have, they still do talk about active defense, but they also talk, you know, more recently have informationized warfare and then intelligentized warfare are the kind of the more recent expansions to that we're gonna remember too. Active defense is Shina's way in some regard of saying that whatever they do is defensive, right. So so like for example, if let's say Taiwan declared's independence and they launch a humongous ballistic missile strike on Taiwan, they would say that was defensive, right they were China. Taiwan had insulted us, had caused us damage in the political you know arena, and so we are defending ourselves politically by launching this huge politic missile strike that is not something anybody else on the planet. It's going to be considered a defensive measure. But they will still call it active defense in that regard. Or let's say that you know, they saw the US had turned on the O plan and was spinning up the tip fit to start, you know, sending getting all our forces out there, and they launched a strike on our bases in Asia. They would call that defensive. They would say, they would call that active defense. So it's kind of the convenient way politically for them to call whatever it is they're doing as a defensive thing.
Speaker 1: What's O plan and T fib UH.
Speaker 2: Plan all plants operational plans, So the theater level operational plan for whatever you're doing, defensive Korea, defensive Taiwan, and then the tip fit is the T p F D D plan for it all stands for you on the spot. It's basically the giant, the big, you know, canculator plan of how to get all this stuff over there that we need to execute the plan.
Speaker 1: Essentially, I'm just for the for the audience and me too, I didn't know what that meant. Sure, talking a little bit more about the pro like the protracted war that possible that they're planning for, are you worried at all about like the D O D And it's like kind of slow procurement process and able like the ability for it to adjust, like we're seeing it a bit in I ran right now with our missile defense. Obviously we probably would have been in a better spot if we had some low cost drones to be able to you know, knock out the ballistic missiles and drones that are heading over to our bases. Are you worried about something like that. Let's say a conflict lasted you know years, our our kind of inability to adjust and improvise, I think that well.
Speaker 2: So to some degree, you know, the necessity is the mother invention. Right, So where do we see the most aggressive innovation and action happening? And it's in Ukraine. It's in Russia because they have to write there's nobody gets bet out of shape about about the you know, relatively small risks that you might be taking when the larger risk is that you're going to lose a war and you know, get killed. So it's it's extremely difficult, I think, to cause change of the scale that it needs to happen at in a peacetime military. And yes, we're fighting a war against Iran and there is innovation happening there, but it is not an existential war for the United States. Do you still have bureaucratic comparatives that can over can override things? You can still have you know, if you're building a runway somewhere, you know, environmental issues. You can have all kinds of rules that Congress has has put in place about sourcing things, buy American rules, like a lot of that can get in the way of doing things. That's what we call red tape, right. I mean, it's all all of it, every every every little bit of red tape is somebody's good idea, right, I mean, somebody says, hey, we should make sure we're not buying things that are or you know, Iranian sourced. Yeah, sounds great, Right, So that's one more bureaucratic requirement, because the bureaucrat is there has to be some person that that verifies that, yes, we are and in fact not buying stuff from that's Chinese source. Well, that's what we call it bureaucrat, right, It is some expert that make sure you're actually doing the way you said the rule. It seems like a good idea at the time. You know that when you combine all those things together and it makes it harder and harder and harder to do things. Ultimately, if you have a no kidding, existential war, you can say that is all off the table, all the requirements are waved declaring emergency and and and you can move forward faster. But it's difficult to do that in the and the absence of existential conflict. So I do worry about our ability to move fast and and there are some good signs, for sure. You see a lot of defense new defense startups that are doing interesting things. But what I worry about is that some of those, certainly in the in the event of an air and naval dominated conflict, aren't quite as transformational as people might think they are. You know, one of my one of my sayings that I semi famous for in Twitter circles is there are no magic beans. Right, there's no there's no magic beans. There's no free lunches like drones, for example, at sea. I mean, they're not as new at sea as people think they are, right the US, the US, you know, during the Cold War, we worried about cruise missiles, right, We're scary Russian cruise missiles mock three. We worried about homing torpedo right. Those are basically drone. So you know, you say, hey, there's a one way attack drone that's going to attack ship to sea. Well yeah, those are called cruise missiles, right, And quite honestly, one hundred miles per hour cruise missile that's propeller powered is not as scary as what we've been dealing with now for decades. If you look at the ranges involved in some of those weapons systems, if you look at the huge blue Pacific, right, they're not They just don't operate that far in many cases. So I think things may be a little less transformational than some folks think. So. So some of those defense startups that are kind of their shining light of hope may not be quite as transformational in an high end air on naval war as people might think. I do think so if you look at the on the shipbolding question. You know, one thing I saw pointed out the other day that where the US actually does have an asymmetric advantage is in boat production. So if you look at US boat production, the US is I think the world's largest producer of boats, not ships, but boats so like, and a lot of it's driven by US boating the boating can.
Speaker 1: Right, you've got I want to go out in the lake and you know, yeah, go down.
Speaker 2: Well guess what you can take that same whole form and put a GPS. You know, so I already got a GPS on it. You know, you could put some sign up, some sort of autonomist thing on it, load it full of T and T and now you've got it. You've got a one way attack drone. And we have plenty of the world's largest producers of that sort of thing, personal watercraft and all these all these Ukrainian USVs, a lot of them are basically modified jet skis. We're actually pretty well placed to do that. The problem is, how do you get something like that six thousand miles across the Pacific? So unless we're fighting a war here and then we've really got problems.
Speaker 5: That power projection problem. That brings up an excellent point about allies and partners, because you remember, you know, the twenty twenty one NDS for example, mentioned allies and partners like one hundred and twenty eight times something like that. So obviously we have allies and partners Indonesia, Philippines, Australia, you know, you name it, they're there, we can work your shoulders shoulder with them, not just Taiwan, but also obviously Japan with the sofa in a you know, enhanced defense security co operation agreement with Philippines. All this is like kind of designed.
Speaker 2: Just for that battle. So let's say that.
Speaker 5: Battle starts, whatever that looks like, not for our allies and partners. What about China's allies and partners. You know, they've got security cooperation agreements with Russia and Iran of varying degrees, you know, and other countries around, especially you know, Solomon Islands for example. What's what are the Solomon's going to do? What kind of basing access and overflight is China looking for? I'm curious from that kind of perspective.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and it's it's for one thing, they certainly don't have the same number as we do. I mean, you know, what's I don't like. I have a hard time imagining Russia choosing to get into a kinetic war with the United States just to help China take Taiwan. But let's say that Russians just send the Pacific Fleet out right. They don't, they don't. They're not sending them out to actually shoot at us, but they just send them out, and all of a sudden, we have to worry about that, like we have to cover down on that. So when we've already got our hands full with the Chinese navy, now you've got there huge distraction of let's say a bunch of Russian submarines out rowing around the Central Pacific or Eastern Pacific. You know, that can certainly make things more more complicated. Let's say the North Koreans are start rattling their saber and they've at least doing enough that the South Koreans decide, you know what, we don't really want you using our airfields in this conflict over Taiwan because we don't want to get North Korea into this. They could certainly do things to make life much more complicated. I don't see them. I don't think I see those, you know, Russian North Korea actively engaging in combat operations, but they could certainly make them already strapped US force, and now US and Allied force have that much more to worry about at least cover down on the Central Pacific. I mean, you know, it's sensible that they would be building building bridges there for the future, because you know, let's face it, a Chinese navy that in fifteen or twenty years is the equal of the US Pacific fleet, that is not a navy that has to fight the US pacifically in the Western Pacific. They can push out to the Central Pacific now at that point, and now those places start to matter a lot more for the basing and access. Right. So, the Chinese haven't built a lot of naval bases overseas, but Chinese contractors have built a lot of ports and airfields overseas that are ostensibly commercial. And so seeing these kinds of things in development in places like that that could someday be a Chinese base, and in some cases maybe whether the locals want it to be or not.
Speaker 5: I remember that, And actually the Gwadar port in Pakistan that's run by China. I'm curious what role might something like that far flung or Jibouti, for example, they have troops there as well. What role might those far fall on places play if the war like kicked off in Taiwan.
Speaker 2: So I think where that matters is. You know, China's made quite clear in their defense white papers that maintaining their sea lines of communication is a huge priority, right, what makes sense, right, they are they're the world's largest trading nation, they're the world's largest exporter. They have the world's largest largest bridge of marine so that really matters to them. And if you look at the sources of raw materials that China has, like the some of the key sources are across the Indian Ocean, so it's raw materials or what not from Africa and energy from the Middle East. So we should expect to see them, you know, create infrastructure over time that would allow them in conflict to be able to try to maintain those tea lines of communication. So water, that's an example that where there have been trying to make in roads in the Maldives, Tanzania. There's plenty of places across those across the Indian Ocean in particular, that you see them in making investments in the kinds of places that you would imagine they would be interested in. You know, one thing I found kind of interesting in a lot of these places is there they tend to be a little bit out of the country. You know, hamp and Tote Port for example, in Sri Lanka. Water is kind of out there in the country. Why does that matter? Well, I mean they will. People will say things like, well, the local host nation has said that this isn't for military use, Well, what if it doesn't matter with the locals think? I mean, in World War two, right, we fought our way across the Pacific. We've built bases all over the place. Does anybody even know what the local communities thought about about the bases that we used to fight our way across the Pacific? Do you think we asked? I mean, Xiji Ping is not going to let his own people decide whether he launches or wins or loses World War three. He certainly doesn't care what they kind of care what the Sri Lankans think. If he has a defensible base that he can use and put pla and marines around it and tell the locals, hey, we're going to use this for what we're going to use it for and just stay out of it. You know, That's how that I think potentially could work. So, if they've built the facility, if it's there, if it can be used in the event of a hind conflict, I would expect it to be used, regardless of any previous agreements or what anybody said about what it's for.
Speaker 3: Jackie got something, I mean, I guess the last thing and we touched on it briefly is the subject of a depletion of stockpiles of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and so on.
Speaker 4: And John and I have talked about this before.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's just over the weekend, I believe Mike Waltz was in the press talking about this, you know, blaming the last administration for it being depleted and then saying, actually, it's not depleted, but politics aside. I think that goes to your procurement and sustainment side of this conversation. Is what you're seeing in our fight with Iran and the depletion of weapons stockpiles? Is that concerning for you as we move into a theoretical conflict with China in the future.
Speaker 2: So I have to say that it may surprise people to hear me say that I'm not quite I don't think the depletion of stock interceptor of stockpiles makes quite as big of a difference for you know, for China's calculus and deciding whether to pull off something, because I'm not sure those stockpiles are really going to matter much after the first salvo. Regardless of how deep the magazine is. At US bases in Asia, I expect the interceptor batteries to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of Chinese missiles. I mean, I have a hard time imagining that our stockpiles are going to get so low that there isn't one set of missiles on the rails ready to go for that first shot. But I mean, Chinese doctrine is pretty straightforward that some of the first things they hit in a firepower strike is blistic missile defenses. Right they have They have you know, DF twenty seven hypersonic missiles that are probably very difficult to shoot down and appear to be pretty accurate. That's the kind of thing I would expect them to use to destroy D and D rather than deplete it. So you know, how many sets of reloads we have in the magazine on base, I'm not sure it matters all that much, to be honest.
Speaker 1: When the launcher is blown up.
Speaker 2: If the launchers are destroyed and the runways are createred and you can't fly anything in anyways, and and the you know, and the and the crews that operate them have been killed by anti personnel air bursts, and I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Just your picture matters, got like our base and Bahrain that just overwhelmed and evacuated.
Speaker 2: Far beyond that. I mean, like you know, people, I think people look at what the Iranian missiles have done, and oh, they shot one hundred missiles at our carrier. None of them hit. Okay, Iran is not China, right, The PLA Rocket Force is not the IRGC Coods Force. They are not the same. Go look at Iran's version of a stealth fighter and compared it to China's actual version. Go look at Iran's version of a frigate and compared it to an actual Chinese frigate. I mean, they're just not the same thing. It's harder to tell those differences with missiles, I think, because they kind of all look the same to people, as opposed to the kind of look at cardboard looking stealth fighters at their Anians, you know, parade. But I think the differences are just as deep, and I think any confidence and we've seen how challenging it was even with Iranian missiles to defend our bases, and yet we seem to not be refusing to harden anything in the Western Pacific. The Air Force isn't budgeting any money for it. I beat this drum over and over again. That is just say nothing of drones. Like. Let's remember China is the world's largest drone producer there. I worry deeply about drone strikes. You know, people may recall Operation Spider Web right, the Ukrainian attack on Russian air bases. I worry a lot about that kind of thing happening to us. That can make the Bahrain stuff look relatively tame in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Tom, we got to get you back, man. This is great, great episode. I mean, I don't feel great about it, obviously.
Speaker 2: Everybody says that they talked to me like so much fun to talk to you. We're screwed, hopefully not.
Speaker 1: I want everyone to go and check out Tom. If you have something to plug men, feel free that I hadn't hit.
Speaker 2: I'll provide links to you guys for some of the things that I mentioned, and you can feel free to put those in there if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the links will be down on the description and in the show notes if you're listening on audio. And Tom is a great Twitter follow if you're in sitting this he is, He's got his ear to the ground. You know what's he knows what's going on of course, Jonathan Hackett Jack all their links are in the description as well, Tom a Pleasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, great you.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Team House Podcast newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free, and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, uh, the things that are on the Team House on our geopolitics podcast, Eyes On, things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the high Side, anything else that we have going on, books, we recommend upcoming guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you'll go and check it out. We send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content.
Speaker 4: On a weekly basis.
Speaker 3: You can find our newsletter at Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com, slash join again. The website for that is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash join.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: So we hope to see you there.
Speaker 2: The link will be down the description
Speaker 3: Passsssssssssss,