Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's the crazy gas a trim.
Speaker 3: You just watch him as wood us so many things to seep, batrasyasis and gass.
Speaker 4: Not a sorry glass, gas s bean and down between.
Speaker 2: All right, good morning, gardeners. We got a show to do this morning. We got questions to answer, so let's get going. I am this is a season where as I said last week, if if you would put your index, your first two fingers on your from one hand to the other, and if you feel a pulse, then you got to be excited about getting outside and planting something. If you don't feel, if you're not it, or let's be it this way, if you're not excited, you better check your pulse. This is a time of year when even non gardeners or gardeners, you know, you go buy a garden center and see all the beautiful flowers and things, or maybe some vegetables, some tomato plants, and you just think, you know what, I'm going to grow one of those myself this year, and I hope you do. Gardening is the best, most relaxing. It's good for you physically and mentally. It's enjoyable. It's one of the best hobbies I can think of. I really do. And so if you want to put it this way, I think there's a reason that there that the beginning of man was in something called the garden of Eden. Right, Okay, because we're supposed to be gardening, That's all I'm saying. I used to tell some friends of mine that I am actually in the original profession ordained by God. How does that sound, I'm a gardener, for crying out loud. It wasn't the cubicle of Eden. It was the garden of Eden. So they are. There's gardening snobbery for you. If you'd like to give a skull this morning seven one three two one two kat r H seven one three two one two kt r H will be happy to visit with you about whatever kinds of questions you might have. Uh, just a warning. I was out in my lawn pulling up some weeds that had seeds on them, and I hadn't gotten to them yet. I got a little spot over on the side where there's a few weeds left, and trying to get to those. I prefer a hand pull when I can, Uh, you know, if I if you're talking about a big yard full of thousand bazillion weed. Well, yeah, I get it. I wouldn't pull that either unless I just had a lot of time on my hands. But anyway, I saw those weeds, and that's what I was pulling them. I noticed some warm season weeds germinating. You know, as I get down there among the grass anywhere your grass is, then anywhere that sunlight hits to soil nature plants of weed. So now is kind of your I don't say last call. You know, we can do pre emergent weed control anytime of the year because weeds are germinating all times of the year. But the warm season weeds began germinating back earlier in March and they are still Germany and we'll continue to through the summer. Barricade is ninetrofissis product to help prevent that. Basically, what it is is it's a pre emergent meaning you put it on the ground, you water it in. You have to water a pre emergent in and you have to put it at the right rate. Not enough isn't good, too much isn't good either. So the right rate watered in it goes to the soil surface makes a barricade. When a weed seed tries to germinate and become a weed plant, barricade says no, that's how that works. Okay. Now you can find barricade a lot of different places. If you go to Lake Hardware and Angleton, if you down on Alasko, if you're include a Lake Hardware, Include on Dixie Drives. Another place Fisher's Hardware, which is in Baytown, on Alexander and Brenham plants and things. There you go Highway sixty five, all places you can find nitrofost products. So yes, I was doing some hand weeding and I've got to tell you this, And I don't expect everybody to feel this way by any means. In fact, I suspect most of you you're gonna think I'm nuts. But I actually like pulling weeds. Now, when I was a kid, I didn't okay, uh, in my household. If I misbehaved, I had to go out to the garden and pull weeds. It's a wonder I ever became a horticulturist. I did. I had to go out and pull weeds. I think it was just like you stepped off on the wrong foot. There, I think you gotta go pull weeds. Well, actually it was because of the things I actually did, which, by the way, we had the most weed free garden in town. And I'll let you put the two and two together and figure out what was happening with me as a young young man. Anyway, I had to go out and pull weeee. But now I actually like it. I have an area of the yard where I didn't take a good care of it last year, just busy and not doing the things I need. Actually was a lack of water in that area that it's kind of sunny and it got a little thin. But when I go out, I have a little kneeling bench. You hear me brag about those all the time. I love that tool. Kneeling bench, and I just five gallon bucket and I've got a little weeding tool where I can put it in the ground. I'm not sitting there fighting against a weed and it's breaking off and everything. It just pops up. I do that, don't even think about where I am, how much is to go, Just kind of work my way across like you're reading a book, you know, or left or right, left to right and going back and forth. And I had to stop and go in. And I stood up and looked and it's like, there's this perfectly weed free yard on one side, and on the other side there I hadn't gotten there yet, still weeds, but there's a gratification for me and looking up and seeing that I have taken care of the weed. But I don't know there. You know, life has a lot of areas. Maybe your work is this mine was for many years, where you work all day and you kind of at the end of the day go, I don't really know what I accomplished today. When you're pulling weeds, it is crystal clear. You know, every five minutes you look and you see what you did. So there not trying to convince you to love love weed pulling, but I'll tell you it is therapeutic. Now not one hundred degrees with fire ants crawling up your legs, mosquito is bearing down on your neck. You know, not that. But it is a good thing. So we all want our yards to look better. I want to look beautiful. That is kind of been the project I've been on all week. In fact, I've had a lot of work. It didn't get done this week because I was out in the yard doing a bunch of different things. I'll talk about those we go through the show today. But anyway, got all that done and so hey, I feel good about that. It's a good week in the garden. If you are looking to have a turnkey job that makes your landscape look like awesome, just awesome botanical garden, Piercecapes can do that. They are our preferred landscapeer. Been arouns. It's nineteen eighty eight. And whether you do want that whole turnkey garden, I mean, you know, design it for me. Let's do everything. If I own an every inch of property I own in the city lot, I want you to turn it into something special. Or if you just want a little spring freshening up, if you want to redo a flower bed and have some new plants put in. Maybe you need irrigation work, drainage work, lighting work, some hardscapes, stone and things. Pierce Capes is a place to go. They're professionals. If you don't believe me, go to the website Piercescapes dot com, piercescapes dot com or give them a call two eight one three seven fifty sixty. I prefer to people go to the website because when you see the work they do, it's amazing. By the way, they also will come in and just do quarterly maintenance. You know you've got your place like mine. I should have had them last year instead of those weeds growing water taking care of things. Anyway, they're good. Time for me to take a quick break. We'll be right back with Bob from Porter. All right, so we are back, and if your neighbors aren't up, by the way, go bang them the door. Tell them they're missing guard Line and they will very much appreciate that. Someday. I'm gonna go out to Porter now and talk to Bob. Hello, Bob, good morning, Welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Skip, Hey doing well?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Greg? Can you grow dragging the fruit in our area.
Speaker 2: Here with protection from the cold. Usually people put it in like a rolling planter or something. They can get a dolly under and uh take it into the garage. It's not cold, fully cold.
Speaker 6: Hardly.
Speaker 5: Okay. And then I got one more. I contain our garden.
Speaker 7: Uh quite a bit actually, but I've been using can I say that product name?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, I use microlaps six two four. But uh, I got a buddy that uses the three eight I think three eight three? Uh the liquid? Uh, do you have any purpose on that? I'm mainly tomatoes and peppers, you know, blooming blooming plant plant, tomato.
Speaker 5: Pepper, squash, cucumbers. Right, you got a purpose on either one of those.
Speaker 2: I like the microlife.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: But here's the let me let me back up one step before even your question. The best fertilizer for your garden depends on what's already in your garden. So like let's say you had good solid phosphorus levels. Well, then that three eight whatever you were saying, that higher phosphorus is not the fertilizer for you. Most plants are going to take up nutrients in a kind of a three one two ratio. Now, the phosphorus if you're trying to get things to root, like you're putting in any transplant and things, phosphorus is a good thing for that higher phosphorus. Right, But you said six two four of the green bag microlife is am I right? Is that what you said?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that way. I use that on a lot of.
Speaker 7: Diff Okay, well I use that on for our granular but you know, uh, I do feed my tubes too, like e were, I use the powder and the line when I'm planting, but when I'm when I'm feeding my tubes, I use Wiking tubs. And I've been used. I thought there was six two four, maybe nots of the Microlife liquid. Uh you know a couple of tables for gallon.
Speaker 5: I didn't know if that well, Uh no.
Speaker 2: Those are those are fine. Uh the the Microlife has a maximum bloom. It's called three eight three. Now, even though it says maximum blooms, you could put that as a transplant fertilizer because it's got that hyphosphorus in it. You could use that. They have the Ocean Harvest, which is a fish base, and it's four two three, so it's kind of a more of the same amount of each one, roughly closer to it at least, So it kind of just depends on what you're trying to do. But if you want to, you can go anyway. All those liquids for microlife are good products. So I used I probably used two thirds of them, and I keep I'm working my way through them just to have some experience with them.
Speaker 5: Okay, alrighty, that works for me. I appreciate you, Miss Skill. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, Bob, thank you, and just remember the rule on guardline, as my advice is free, but I expect half your produce, So just split it half and bring it, bring it to the station, and we'll call it even. Thank you, sir, by bye. I I wonder if I'm going to ever get tired of that jerk. I met a bunch of you have already. Welcome to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rictor. We're here to have fun, and not just on the radio, but have fun gardening. The thing I like to say on guarden Line is I'm here to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. And that's kind of how that works. Fun in the process. Don't forget that part. Gardening should be fun. If you are wanting to switch into your summer lawn fertilization season, it's time to go ahead and begin that if you like to do that now. If you look at my schedule, there is an optional spring green up that's a quick release, and then there when we hit the summer, well, excuse me, when we get to later spring, mid to late spring is a time when we begin doing those fertilizations that last longer and Mike like the Superturf. My brain went blink there for a minute. From nitrofoss Nitrovos Superturf is a nineteen four to ten fertilizer, but it lasts for like four months in the lawn. So this isn't the quick release, and you could use a quick release by the way. You know they have the Imperial the fast release. You could use that all through the summer by just making small applications of it over time. But if you want to make one application and have it gradually feed your lawn, the way to go, and that's why I do it on my schedule. This way is you shift to a longer term for lighter and microash. Gosh nitrofive super turf. My brain is starting to function, but not quite. It gives you that gradual feed, so your mowing is not just jacked up to having a mowmo mo because you hit the grass with all this extra nitrogen. I know it's nineteen percent. That's almost one fifth nitrogen in the product, but it's not all available at once. You're talking about four months a feeding and that it makes it easy and it's a silver bag, which makes it easy to find it in the store. So whether you go, let's say to M and D. Beamer on Sagemont Area clear like I'm indee Clare Lake on Bay Area Boulevard, or Fisher's Hardware my Bellevue. There's also Fisher's Hardware there on South Broadway in Laporte, you're gonna find nitrofost products like this superturf. And so if you didn't do an early spring green up, do the super turf now, go ahead and do it now it's time. If you did do that, you can wait about four to six weeks, probably six weeks after the greenup was applied, and put down your super turf at that time. We're going to go now to North Houston and talk to Robert. Hello, Robert, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Skip, Yeah, Skip, I had a question about this plan is callen Coy Canada.
Speaker 2: It's called Leaf of Life.
Speaker 9: And okay, wait, I talked to the people I bought it from and they say you can make a tea out of it, So that tells me it's not poisonous.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 9: Okay, go ahead, Well anyway, I'm wondering since if you can make a ted of do you think maybe possibly it be edible.
Speaker 2: I just can't tell you that I didn't know that you could eat calanchoy. I'm sure it's a certain type of calenikoe like you mentioned, but I don't I'm gonna not not on the air so that you can or can't eat it. That would be one that I would suggest you do some online searching and just be careful with the sources that you read, you know, on that kind of thing. I'll usually do some searching and go to a bunch of different sources and read what they say and stuff. If it's associated with any kind of a like a university kind of thing, that that's even better because they're they're more likely to be given your research based information. But anyway, sorry, I can't I can't answer that one for you. It was did you say Panada? P I N N A T A Yes, sure, Okay, Well I'm going to look into that. I'm gonna look yeah, I'm gonna look into that. You know, I don't generally recommend eating things on the air just because people misunderstand, uh, and you know, there's a you gotta be real careful with things. But I'm going to look into that because I I had not heard that one before.
Speaker 9: Okay, can I call you back once once you have a chance to kind of research you.
Speaker 2: Tell you what, Let's do this. I'm gonna put you on hold. Uh my producer Jonathan will pick up and he will give you an email if you will email me that question, write it out.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm going to find some links and send those to you and if I can find anything on it, and uh be happy to do that. Okay, okay, thank you, Thank you all right, Robert, thanks a lot, appreciate your call. That is very interesting. I have to look into that one. I was at the Arbrogate a while back, and I always love going there because it's just like it's like you've gone to a little gardening wonderland.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 2: First of all, you park in the back. That's I mean, they still have the front lot, but the back is much more space, much safer to get easy to get in and out and everything. It's off Trichel Road, which is a loop that goes around behind Arburgate. When you walk in it, just from the minute you step in, you could just stop, take one step in and stop and start looking around because I mean there's pottery here, and there's rain chains in from the building over there, and there's plants, you know, of vegetables and herbs. It's just fun to walk through there. The gardens are all decorated, lots of bling for your garden beds, you know, the decorations and things for the bed. But the plants, the plants are amazing. And they have their their one two three completely easy system with the soils. That's an organic food complete, and organic soil complete and organic com post complete. Those three together is what when you hear me say brown stuff before green stuff, that's what I'm talking about. You get the fertilizers, the composts, the multiz you get all of that kind of stuff ready to go make your soul ready and then put the plant in and you have success. And the color that you see there right now is outstanding. I mean, it's just every kind of plant you can imagine. And they are experts. They're gardeners who know what they're doing and they're not going to sell you a plant that didn't grow here. If you have problems with the plant, they're going to tell you what to do about it. You can go in with samples or questions. That the thing I think that's most I just see people doing it all the time there, and that is they find somebody that works there actually works the other way around. Often they're greeting you and coming up to you and that person will walk through with somebody. They'll go. You know, I want to make an herb planter, but I don't know which ones would be good to go together, or I want to make a one of those. I hear about the thriller filler spiller, you know, floral decorative container for out in the patio, but I don't know what plants do that. They'll walk you through. They'll tell you, well, here's some options, this works good together and here's how you do get You get expert advice. And that is just so valuable. And when you go to Arburgate, that is what you should expect because that's what you're going to get. That's that's what they do, that's who they are there. If you are interested in stopping by and you haven't been before, first of all, where you've been hiding. But if you haven't been before, it's out on twenty nine to twenty west to Tumbull and remember look for Treshel Road so you can swing around behind Arburgate. Find you a good parking spot and enjoy yourself. Take some friends and family with you because it is a fun outing. I disappear into there and it may be days before I come back out because there's so much cool stuff to see. I really need it. Sometimes I lose track of time when a plant peeping, you know, checking them all out. Jungle Land is a product that Nitropos makes that they have two versions of it. One is for containers indoors. It's called the jungle Land Water Saving Potting Soil. It's got the crystals that hold water a little longer than the soil does so that the plant roots don't go into stress. The other one is jungle Land Flour and Vegetable Planting Soil. You know, it's just what it says. It's for outdoors. It does better for the outdoor containers. Both of them will give you good success. Now you're going to find jungle Land products at places jungle Land products and Nitrofos products in general places like Fisher's Hardware, Pasadena, D and D. Feed up in Tomball plants for all seasons. Two forty nine, and that is right there where Luetta comes into two forty nine and RCW Nursery Tomba parkway. All right, time for me to go to a break. When I come back, we will be answering your gardening questions. And if you'd like to be one of the first up seven one three two one two ktr H. Can't have something start?
Speaker 7: Who's there?
Speaker 12: Somebody?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 13: Ain't nobody here about this chicken.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody all right? A little asleep at the wheel. And you know on garden line the chicken music and only mean one thing means the chicks are in. That's right. D and D feed three miles west of Highway forty nine on twenty nine twenty and Tomball. They are getting chickens in all through the spring. It is crazy. You know. They just got in Thursday some silky banams and some ducks and some turkeys too, by the way, I should say poultry instead of chicken.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then on Friday they got some wine dots in, some Sicilian buttercups, some cream leg bar, some speckle sussek. You didn't know these chickens existed, did you. Well, you need to go by there, and they're cute little things, really really cool, and I just mentioned a few. I think on Friday they probably got about a dozen different kinds of chicks in and then coming up next week or this week, coming up on Thursday, they got Americana pullets. They've got some turkeys and some silky bantams. And if you've not seen a silky bantam, you gotta google it. It is really cool. Well, when you go into dnd feed, you're not going to just get chickens. You're gonna get feed for your livestock, for your pets. You're going to find everything you need to have a beautiful lawn, a beautiful landscape, and that includes things to deal with pest, tweeds and diseases, and it also includes fertilizers. They carry products from Nitrofoss, they carry products from Microlife, Nelson Turf Star Medina. You'll find the jars of Nelson plant food there, You'll find heirloom soil product there. It's just a good place to go in order to make sure your place looks as good as it can. And you'll also find really good advice, good help at D and D Feed, three miles west of two forty nine in Tomball. We're going to go now to Kingwood and talk to Lewis Louise. I believe, Hey Louise, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 14: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm well okay. What is the secret to keeping bogun villas blooming all year long or as much as possible? Yeah? Well, my first answer is, if you figure it out, tell me. My second answer is the one the one that a boog and villa's growers will tell you, and that is, you know, they do well when you're fertilizing them and encouraging growth and things, but you don't want to overdo it. Overdoing the fertilizer, over it in the water is often not a good thing. They need good sunlight. If they're not in enough sunlight, some people will tell me, well they're a little pot bound, they bloom better. So those are all things that are supposed to be helpful in keeping those things blooming. There is somewhat of a cycle to them sometimes, and I've noticed that when I've had them, So I guess the main thing is keep them healthy. But just watch the excess nitrogen, watch the excess watering, and don't be afraid to let them get a little root bound. If you got them in a container that they can handle, I'm all different colors. Okay, that sounds beautiful hopefully. All right, well, if go out and talk to them. You know what I found is that they say, talk to your plants. Right. I found that if you threaten plants it also works. That counts as talking to them. So if I've got a tree that's not doing well, you just go out, fire up a chainsaw, pull the trigger a few times to fire it up, and then turn it off until the tree next time. I'm gonna come finish a job. If you don't start producing peaches or whatever, maybe you can figure out something like that for your boog and villas. I'll stare them straight, so if they don't bloom, you know, I'll just that's it. Let's just say I'm not afraid to use this exce a lot. Appreciate the calles. I appreciate that very much. Okay, Yeah, we do have fun here on Guardline in Shanty Gardens down on the Katie Fullsher side of Richmond is one of those destination garden centers that you need to go to. Spin Rounts. It's nineteen what nineteen ninety five I believe. And it's just when you walk out of your car, you walk up and look at the place, it's like, oh my gosh, where do I begin? Because it has sprawled out all over the place from beautiful pottery to gift shop to they really specialize. They've got some folks on staff that specialize in building beautiful containers. And you know you can get those old wire busket baskets and line them with a coconut kar and things and get all the different flowers to go in them. Any plant you're looking for is going to be there. You're looking for fruit, if you're looking for roses, if you need some vegetable transplants, or some herbs, or you name it, they're there. You just go and when you walk in, you're going to be greeted with folks that are enthusiastic and here's important, knowledgeable, so you can bring in samples, bring in photos to get them to help you with that. So no matter what you're looking for, you're going to find it there, as well as the brown stuff that comes before the green stuff, like heirloom soils products, Nature's Way products, Medina Nelson plant food Nitrofoss Microlife. They have it all there. It's just the one stop shop for gardening success. Go to www dot enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com find out more. They're on FM three point fifty nine on the Katie Follshire side of Richmond. We're going to go now to Beaumont and talk to Hey, Fred.
Speaker 15: Hey, how are you this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 5: Issue. My issue is.
Speaker 15: Bright green. We know some sort that has little stickers that appear on it. They grow in small patches, but it has exploded and it's all over my yard front and back and.
Speaker 2: All right. Sorry, yeah, it's not grass burr it's is it like kind of a frilly leaf weed?
Speaker 15: Yes, it's it's uh yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: It has almost like.
Speaker 15: A celly like and it's very small, you know, got you yeah, okay man, it looks like that's a bird clouds everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Fred, that's a burr weed. And just get you a product that's made for post emergent control, meaning killing existing weeds, not preventing seeds. Post emergent control of broad leaf weeds. Even though the weed is not broad it is not a grass. It's a broad leaf and so that would be you know Bon Eye has those for the loan has those, a lot of different products. You know, you go somewhere, go to your ACE Hardware over there in Beaumont and they can put one in your hands. Just broad leaf post emergent weed control. Do it a s a p once the temperature are up, you know, upper eighties and above. Those kinds of products can become stressful for your lawn. So spray it in the morning, spot spray it, mix it according to the label and that should take it out.
Speaker 15: Okay, all right, all right, so this will be this will be a spray I put, you know, maybe a canister on the hoose or something like that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't apply some of Yeah, I would do the pump sprayer. You're in control there. Don't pump it up too high pressure because it creates a fog that drifts and you don't want it drifting over. Do it early in the morning with whenever you the wind's not blowing much, and use a coarse spray for safety.
Speaker 5: All right, sir, sounds great?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Yeah, thanks for the call. I appreciate that. Listen, if you are looking around your house and seeing cracks in the sheet rock, or you're outside, cracks in the brick going down, or maybe your doors are sticking, or other signs of foundation movement. You need to call fix my slab Foundation repair. Ty Strickland has been doing this for twenty three years. And if you're telling me you're a guardline listener, by the way, free estimates for guardenline listeners. He'll come, he'll check it out. He'll tell you if you need work or not. Sometimes there's issues that don't need to be addressed. Sometimes they do. It's not going to get better, though, so find out call tie two eight one two FIY five forty nine forty nine two eight one two five five four nine four nine, or go to fix myslab dot com. They show up on time, they give you a fair price, and they fix it right. What more can you ask for? Fix myslab dot com. Time for me to take a quick break. When we come back, Nico, you'll be our first up.
Speaker 1: Deer season beer season, Tier season is offended?
Speaker 12: Who gives us whatever?
Speaker 2: This season tis?
Speaker 12: This season for the Michael.
Speaker 2: Berry Show that they have a new perspective.
Speaker 1: Monday at eight am and five pm on seven forty KTRH.
Speaker 16: Whatever kind of vehicle you're buying car, truck, van, whatever, make, model doesn't matter. You're gonna have a good experience and I'm gonna hear about it. So they want to make me happy because they want to continue to get all of you. We send a lot of people to our show sponsors, but it's not the quantitative that they want. It's the qualitative. You're the best customers out there, and they want to keep me happy by keeping you happy. Carpro dot com or you can email me and I'll hook you up with the head of the company.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I'm happy to do it. Carpro dot com. Hey, it's roomon you.
Speaker 17: Ever look around and think I need more space, and not just any space, your space. Well, Republic Grand Rams just opened a brand new section and this one's special, highest elevation in the whole community. Rolling hills, dramatic views, streets that curve like they were designed by nature itself, and the best part, it's yours for the taking, even if you're not ready to build. Grab you a piece of good old Texas dirt and start your family legacy to day eight four four seven hundred Land Republic Grand Ranch dot com.
Speaker 13: You see total attic remediation and wildlife exclusion. Our services include total attic remediation, insulation replacement in a breeze removal, ensuring your home stays energy efficient, and wildlife free experience the benefits of new insulation which can save you approximately eleven percent on total energy costs. Don't wait for rising energy bills or on one to guests. Visit our website at www dot Bestpriceconstruction dot net or call two wight one four four three one one two two to schedule an appointment with our estimator today.
Speaker 2: Meet Kelsey.
Speaker 18: When she found out she was pregnant, she wasn't sure where to turn, But after meeting with the counselors at a preborn Network clinic who loved and supported her, and after hearing her baby's heartbeat on a free ultrasound, she chose life.
Speaker 19: When a mother looks at her child through a sonogram, that does something to you, you know. I ended up deciding to keep my son, who is now five years old today. He's amazing. He brings absolute joy in my heart. I could not imagine life without him.
Speaker 18: By introducing a woman to her baby on ultrasound, a baby's chance at life doubles if you have the means would you consider a leadership gift to save babies in a big way. Your tax deductible donation of five thousand dollars were sponsor Preborn's entire network for twenty four hours, helping rescue two hundred babies. To donate, dial pound two fifty keyword baby, you can be able to say I help save a life through Preborn Dial pound two fifty keywordbaby, or go to preborn dot com slash Hope sponsored by Preborn.
Speaker 2: Mile was a good frog, was a good friend of mine. All right, welcome back to Guardenline. Glad to have you with us this morning. Now, you've got some metal lawn furniture, patio furniture out there that is kind of looking rusty, paints chipping or I don't know, maybe the bolts and hardware and stuff is rusting in it. You need to know about Houston powder Coders because they can coat outdoor metal with a powder coating this way better than painting. And the work they do is outstanding. I've seen it. I've been through the shop, I've seen the work and it's like everything you can imagine from this metal art that hangs on the wall of your on your patio, on the outside of the house, to a lamppost in the yard, to a railing, you know, going down the steps. It's metal to the typical you know, metal furniture, you know, wrought iron, cast iron, aluminum, patio furniture. They can coat it, they can fix it. If it needs new hardware in it. They put stainless steel, you know, bolts and nuts on it and washers. Make sure it really holds together. Right. They fix it right now. If you want to know what it would cost, well, take a picture of your furniture and email it to sales at Houstoncoders dot com. They'll give you a quick quote. Sales at Houston Cooders dot com. They'll come pick it up and they'll bring it back and deliver it in the greater Houston area. So sales at Houston coders dot com or go to the website Houston powder Coders dot com Houston powder Cooders dot com. Let's go now out to talk to Nico. Hey Nico, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 11: How are you doing? Thanks for taking my call. I got two questions, Yes, sir, so what is the best lead pease? I got a bunch of weeds from the front and the back of my yard because I know when I cut grass it spreads all over. And then the second question today, how do I how do I get my grass growing back from the backyard because last summer was a dry h don't have.
Speaker 5: That much rain.
Speaker 11: But it's like you know, patches here, dirt, and then I have lots of love of grass. So how did I get him back to going back again?
Speaker 2: Good? Good question?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: So here here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: The first step is getting your lawn as healthy as you can get it.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And and as you're long gets dense, then the weed problems go down dramatically. Now, if you just fight weeds, you're just always going to be just fighting weeds. So we're kind of doing lawn care first, but really at the same time, you're hitting them on both sides. So what I would do is, if you go online to my website, do you have a pin or pencil handy there?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's gardening with Skip Gardening with Skip dot com. Look at the lawn care schedule and that is it's free to download or look on the computer, and it tells you when to fertilize, what to fertilize, It tells you about watering and mowing and aeration and other things like that. And then also look at the weed disease and insect management schedule. It's a separate schedule. On that one, you'll see things you put down. We typically put down twice a year to prevent weed seeds from coming up. So you can do it now, but you need to hurry because a lot of your summer weeds have already Germany. That's a pre emergent and that's a row across there. Then there's a post emergent row, and that's for killing the ones you have. So if you'll look at that, the products are listed on there, but I would get on it asap because we're getting them. There's a lot of warm season weeds are already germinated, so then you're left with trying to spray them after they're up, but mo regularly and that mow water and fertilize is so important. And then the products are on there, and if you ever have questions, you can call the show, get an email and send me pictures of the specific weeds you have, you know, because there's only one hundred thousand weeds out there, and so if you're send me the pictures of them. Then you can call in and we can talk specifically about Okay, this is what that is and here's what you put on it. And I think that would be the ongoing best approach after you do the schedule and start following that.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much. Good all right, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bet, You're welcome to you. I'm going to put you on hold, and if you want to send some pictures or something in just keep Jonathan'll give you that email and we can we can be in touch that way to help. All right, Well, that is so true. Weed control is quite a challenge, but we can do it. Leake City Feed is done in League City. Of course. They're on Highway three, just a few blocks south of the Highway ninety six. They serve that whole area. I mean, I don't care if you're in League City or Santa Fe or Bay Cliff, Webster, Clear Lake City, el come into Reale, Dickinson, San Leon, you know all those communities. If you're listening to me, now, this is your hometown feed store. The Thunderbergs have been running this store since their grandfather built it forty years ago. And you go in there and you're gonna find products you hear me talk about like nitrofossen asumide in microlife. You're going find heirloom soils and Nelson plant food products. You're going to find things to control insects or to prevent weeds or to kill weeds you already have. You're gonna find things to fight disease. And of course you find premium pet food. And the good thing I like about going in to these old time feed stores and League City Feed is just pre eminent and this is it. They carry the bags out for you. It just the greeting and the feeling you have when you go in is good. And you're going to find what you need. You are going to find what you need. Our member's kid grown up and going to feed stores always love to go in love that kind of the It just was a sweet smell to me of you know, the feed store and all the products and things in there. League City Feed is exactly that. Monday through Saturday nine to six are closed on Sunday two eight one three three two one six one two. We're going to head out to clear like now and talk to Jonathan. Hey, Jonathan, welcome to Garden.
Speaker 20: Good morning, thank you.
Speaker 5: I have a question.
Speaker 21: So I have a philodendron in the back of my yard that's been there about thirty five years. Really big, you know, goes to almost eight feet tall.
Speaker 2: It's okay, great.
Speaker 21: The issue is last year I had a hollow trees start growing in the middle of it, and we didn't realize it because I'm so dense. And then we saw it last year and I tried to chop it as low as I could to the grounds, and I tried to put a brush killer on this I'm a little stump part of it and hoped that i'd gotten rid of it. This year, it's back. It's back and growing up. It's three to four inches you know, wide, and I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of that without hurting the philodendron.
Speaker 2: And I can't dig it out. So yeah, I'm not sure where where that effort went wrong. But you were on the right track. So I'm going to First of all, I just want to tell you. On my website is something called controlling woody Weeds in the Landscape, and it gives you the details of what to do, but you need to use it. You need to make the cut. This year again and immediately take a little poam brush or something and dab the straight weed killer right on to the cut stump surface, that fresh cut surface. Just dab it right on there, straight from the bottle. And the product you're looking for is something can anything containing triclop here it's t R I C l O P y R. But it's on that publication if you just want to go look at it. You don't have to remember all the things I'm saying. It tells you how to do it, but it'll go down in there. Now if it's a if it's a thinner shoot, if it's not like not like an old trunk with big thick bark on it. But if it's a thinner, smoother surface around the trunk, you can rub that triclop pier on the sides of the trunk too, and that just gets more of it in.
Speaker 21: Do I need to put a bag over it over the stump with the solution and the rubber band or anything. I'm sure didn't hurt, but I don't know, Okay, I've never tried that.
Speaker 22: No, you.
Speaker 2: Don't need to do that, and don't do it like when it's going to rain in five minutes, you know. And but but if if you do it, you gotta do it real soon. Don't do it the next day, because you want that to be fresh tissues that are taken in that chemical and it will work. But you got to use the tri compare and you just have to stay on that. That's the best thing other than that you're going in there trying to dig it out, which is not a good thing with that Philodendron.
Speaker 21: Okay, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you appreciate your call very much. Absolutely. Nitrofive Sweet Green is their organic lawn fertilizer. Now you use it on things other than lawns, but it's a higher nitrogen product, especially for an organic. It's eleven percent nitrogen and it reacts with water and basically the microbes and the soil love this stuff because they love things like molasses for example, that's sugar compounds, those carbon chains that help feed and stimulate them, and basically they turn that product into the nutrient that plants need. Specifically, the nitrogen you get that boost from Sweet Green smells wonderful because it's kind of your smell of molasses to me. But you're gonna find it a lot of places. You know nitrofoss products, you're gonna you're gonna be able to find those at Hiden and Feed on Stubner Airline, Ace Hardware City on Memorial Drives another place. And then there's all Spas Ace up in the Woodlands and ace at Sinkle Ranch on Mason Road. They also carry nitrofos products there. I was in my flower beds taking care of some things and just stirring the mulch up and stuff, and I was just thinking it was a It actually was a mult I got from Nature's Way Resources. They have so many different products out there. This was a twice ground mult. No matter what kind you want, they're going to have a lot of options for it. If you're planting fruit trees and you need a good soil, If you're planting vegetables and herbs and flowers and you want to soil for that. If you're gonna find blueber or camellias or azalias and you need an acid loving soil, they've got it all, including rose sooil, which was born in Nature's Way. That's where rose soil came from. The one we call around the Houston area now Rose Sooil. Now, if you are looking for a leaf more compost again born at Nature's Way super high quality compost and every Friday they have something called a fungal based compost which can also be used for top dressing. By the way, it's on sale every Friday, so you get ten dollars or ten percent off of a bag and twenty percent off bulk. They will deliver bulk. You can go pick it up bulk Nature'sway Resources dot Com nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. I want to tell you today, I'm going to be at Ciena Maltz from one to three a little bit later because it's a little bit of a hole for me to head from where I am to where I need to be down there one to three. Ciena Mulch is that brown stuff before a green stuff place. And they're going to be folks there from Nelson's, any folks there from Microlife. You're gonna find folks there from Medina products as well. I'm going to be giving away stuff right and left products from each of those companies. I'll also be given away tree stabilizers all right, tree stabilizers three sixty tree stabilizing. You want one of those, you have to know the magic words round stuff before green stuff. That's the magic wording your tree stabilizer.
Speaker 1: Today, welcome to kt r H Guarden Line with skimp Richter's.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as many things to see botas.
Speaker 2: Sor Hey, good morning, good morning, Welcome back to guarden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the whole process of doing it. You know, if you want to give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H or seven one three two one two five eight seven four, it's the number where you can reach me. And let's talk about the things that are of interest to you. What kind of questions do you have about gardening, what kind of issues and challenges are you're dealing with? Or I guess we will even allow a little bit of bragging if you if you wish to tell me about the number of bushels the peaches you got off the tree last year, well we can tolerate a little bit of that too, but only in moderation. Only in moderation.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: I love going to Jenny Forest down in the Richmond Rosenberg area. It's the garden Center that if you're going from Richmond to sugar Land. It's off to the right on FM twenty seven fifty nine and tending Forest by the way. Poor I forget. I want to give you the the website because you definitely want to check out. Their website is awesome, lots of good information on there. Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX. Don't forget the TX. Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. That's the website. Now. They specialize in all kinds of things and they have right now is the time you've heard me talk about Chinese fringe trees. It's my I guess it may be my single favorite spring blooming tree right now. It is gorgeous, just billows of white flowers with a lovely light fragrance that's really nice. Well, they've got them and they're in bloom and you can see what I'm talking about. But they also have one there at the garden Center. It's kind of off on the side. I just said, I want to see your Chinese friench tree if you don't run into it on the way in. It is so beautiful. Chinese fringe is just you need one of these. And another reason I like Chinese French, by the way, is because our lot sizes have shrunk over the decades. You know, back you go back in the sixties and seventies, lot sizes around third of an acre or something. I mean, they're huge, huge lots. And now you can reach out your window and close your neighbors blinds. The houses are so close together in many, many neighborhoods. A Chinese fringe tree is a medium sized tree and it grows at a moderately medium I say medium rate is probably a good way to do it, and you fertilize, take care of it. No grow faster, but anyway, it doesn't just take over like three houses. You know, you plant a life oak tree in your yard and four neighbors get to enjoy it, you know, because it's so big. Chinese fringe is not that way. But go check it out. You'll see them there. While you're there, check out the new desert roses that they just got in. They're beautiful. For those of you succulent lovers. They have the plant called Lithops Lithops. Now, I'm not going to try to describe it to you guys, but to me, it looks like if you're watching Star Wars and they land on some planet and it's like, what is that? That's a lithops. They're pretty cool. Folks love those. By the way, run by there this morning, right after the show UH and UH Monarch program will be going on with Aaron Mills from Houston Botanical Guard talking about monarchs. And they also had their food truck there. In fact, you can get fueled up at the at the Scotti Saloon food truck before you run over to see me seeing a multch later that afternoon. So Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. I just mentioned a few plans, but anything you want you're gonna find there. They are always stocked up with cool stuff. So I was working in the yard. I was telling you about that, and uh the.
Speaker 5: Uh pull up.
Speaker 2: I was pulling some weeds and things. But I'm also redoing some beds. I have been building up some beds with quality soil. Yes, I practice what I preach sometimes. In this case, I got high quality soil mixes, put them in, mix the beds up, got them, got them ready to go, and then top them off the mulch. Because I'm not gonna plant just yet. I got some of the things to take care of. I don't like to come in after I've made a beautiful bed and watch it, over two weeks or so turn into a chia pet because every weed under the sun has sprouted. Now I got this green, fuzzy bed instead of a nice ready to go, I throw a mulch on top. I'll do that in the garden beds too, between seasons. Anyway. That mulch looks really good. Back there, we were getting some things set up, so it's just about time for me to get back if I can get through all the weekend activities and take off on that again. I got the orchard set up ready to go. There's a couple of citrus I'm putting in and those are sitting on the front porch, going okay, any day now, any day now, So we'll get those in this week as well. I don't have a lot of room on the side of the house, and so it's probably at nine feet from the house to the fence. So I'm looking at okay, how can I grow stuff? So I got a little raised planting bed, only a little bit of one of those veggo beds about eleven inches high, and I've situated the trees so that they get the most possible sunlight as the sun is traveling, and then as they grow up, they're going to be up to the eaves of the house and then some the sunlight they'll get many more hours of it from there. So I'm kind of squeezing them in there a little bit. But I love fruit trees. You got some peaches and some citrus going in. I got a fig going into as well. So for those of you that have small lots, there are ways to go about it. Don't be afraid to try something a little different. We don't do espalier pruning here for fruit trees, but you go to some part especially like European, some of the older European gardens. You see the little garden area with a stone fence around it, and there's this tree that's been trained against a wall growing apples or pears or something that's espalier, and you can do that here. You just just takes some work. And so if you love being out in the garden and tending things and you don't have a big space, that's one way to get more out of a smaller space. So I'm not doing a value on mine. I know what would happen there. I would not be able to get back to it and take care of it like I want. But one of these days I'm gonna try doing that. I've got a little area where I'm gonna plant a grape and the arbor is the shade for a sitting area. So that's another way to get more out of your space. Nitro Fuss Imperial is their product that you put down for fast release nutrients into the soil. Fast release it is. It dissolves the way and the fifteen five ten product goes right into the ground and grass takes off. And right now your grass will jump out of the ground with that because they it is warming up enough to where that grass is taking off and happy to grow. Nitrofus Imperial is the red bag from Nitrofoss in the perfect ratio for the way turf grass takes up nutrients at three one to two ratio. You're going to find nitro Fross products at Bearings Hardware on Best That also at the Barings Hardware on West Timer And I was just talking to you about enchanted forests, well enchanted forests down on FM twenty seven fifty nine in the Richmond Rosenberg area. They carry nitrofrost products as well. Time for me to go to a quick break. We'll be right back alrighty. Well, good Saturday morning on a great day for gardening. Oh my goodness. We went through all this rain and now here's the sign. You should be outside right now listening to the guard Line on your phone that is sitting inside. I know I'm meddling, but just know this that I think the best way to listen to garden Line is to do it on your phone. Through the iHeart radio app. You can find the Guardline show sign in. You can listen live, you can listen to past shows, so you can flip that phone into your pocket. Get out there and be I don't know, pulling weeds like I like to do in the garden, or whatever you want to do. Maybe you run across a bug, take a picture of it, email it to me. We'll talk about it live from your garden. It's garden Line not kind of cool. One of these days, somebody's gonna call me and tell me they're doing that. I'm not. I've yet to have someone tell me they're out in the garden listening. But I think that's a great way to go. Of course, if you start at the beginning of the show, you'll need headlamps to be able to see where you're going. Out there. The RCW Garden Center or RCW Nursers there at the corner of the Beltway eight Sam Houston Parkway and two forty nine Tumbull Parkway. Right there at the intersection, they have a wonderful stock plant. Right now, I was looking at some of the things that they have going on in terms of color and whatnot. Lots of lantanna and verbena, beautiful baskets of everything from petunias. That has some bougainvilla baskets that are awesome. And by the way, while I'm talking about boo and villas, they have boogain villas stand too. Now, a standard is a plant that has been trained that normally is look more of like a bush, but they train it to a single trunk up to a certain height and then they let it have its top, which is called a head on the standard. So you can do that with the roses. You can have roses that are trunk coming up and maybe you know, three feet off the ground. Here's a here is a head on top of those in the same way with book and vis you need to see their boog veas they are unbelievably outstanding red buds, another great spring blooming tree. And then of course it's RCW roses. Rcw's selection of roses is just like none other. It is outstanding and they're blooming now, they're beautiful. It's a perfect time to go pick out the rose you like because you don't just look at a picture on a card. You can actually see the rose blooming. And they are rose experts and rosarians across Easton know about RCW and they're outstanding stock of roses. Now that again, they're between are at the corner of Tombaugh Parkway and be wait. They're open Monday through Saturday eight to five and Sunday from ten to five. This nursery is the place where you go when you want to find whatever you're looking for. And I call them get it, got it, because if they don't have it, they probably can get it, right, you see what I'm saying. They can order and bring it in for you.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: They carry my night Frost Microlife. They carry Nelson's Turf Star line and you know, so it's the brown stuff before green stuff. When you go home with your plant, go home with your product, so you're ready to go. RCW nursries dot com. That's where you go to find out more information. I was talking to someone yesterday about generators. We were just discussing how gosh the last two seasons, the storms have been incredible in coming in and knocking power out for a long period of time. Some of my families in the Houston area that was out for over two weeks without power. And the Quality Home Products of Texas is the only place that I would send somebody for a generator. And the reason is number one. They carry the Generac automatic stem by generator, which is cool. You basically have a generator that when the power goes out, it comes on. I mean you can be sitting there in your easy chair reading the paper and power goes out, boom comes right back on. You never had to even get up. But the reason I recommend Quality Home is not just a generator, it's this service that they give. They are the number one generator servicer in the Houston area period, So you secure your home's power, rain, snow, sunshine, no matter what's going on, life goes on. Even when the power stops and hurricane season is just around the corner, it's coming up. It's not like you walk in there one day and go home and they set it up that day. You need to call them, you need to go in. They're going to take time to make sure, ask you questions, make sure you get the generator that fits your needs, that does what you want it to be able to do. They're a standout organization when it comes to reliability, integrity, honesty, transparency with every client. That is who they are. That's why they have fourteen thousand plus five star reviews, and that's why they keep winning awards for customer service, like the Pinnacle Award, the Better Business Bureau's most prestigium prestigious. That's easy for me to say customer Service Award they've wonted eight times. I mean, this isn't just they got lucky one year. It's how they do business at Quality Home. You can call them seven to one three quality seven one three quality, or if you want to go to the website qualitytx dot com. But whatever you do, now is the time to be thinking about it and reaching out because when the summerstorm season comes, that's when we definitely need to be ready to go. Quality home can help you do that. We're going to head out now and talk to Katie. Hello Katie, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 22: Hello rich.
Speaker 2: How can we help them?
Speaker 22: I am in the middle of redesigning a kind of twenty five year old yard that needs help. And I have some camelias that I have some large leslie and and sparkling burning the camelias that I want to relocate because I don't want to lose them, but they're going exactly where my deck is going to go. So my question is what time of year do I do them. Obviously, my famelia's flower from October to March, so they're dormant now from that respective, so I need to know best way to transplant those. And then I'm actually going to move some jasmine, So do I wait until after they've flowered and then trim and transplant those or what? And then my last thing is I have I know you just got to talking about citrus trees. I have two or three peach trees that are still in nursery buckets that I want to put in the ground, So I need to know how to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, it's not the worst time to move a plant, but it's not a good time because summer's coming. If you if you know construction's coming, and you either move them or lose them, move them. Get as much soil with with as you can. You don't have to go like two feet deep, but if you can, the more with you get, and then cut underneath the plant with a sharp shovel edge to kind of create a I don't want to say a pancakes not a great example, but well, instead of a thumb ball, think of a pancake, something wider but not as deep. You know, maybe you can go down about eight inches or something like that and get what you can there, but get the roots you can. I like to slide the plant onto a tarp so it's easy to drag across the yard without hurting your back. Because soil is cready right into the hole. I would already have dug the hole before I dig up the plant. Move it right over there, put it right in the ground and water it in, and then get you some shade cloth and put it over the plant. To cut that sun down to at least fifty percent of what it was, and the only roots on that plant are that little bit you dug up, and none of those are taking up water until they produce little side roots that can take up the water and nutrients. So you want to keep them moist, and it's gonna be touching. Go this first summer. If you can wait, it would be much better to do it in late October or November.
Speaker 22: That's a much blooming even though that's when they're blooming. So I won't I won't have a bloom.
Speaker 2: Ye, well yeah it will. Yeah, it'll affect that. But you know, if if you kill the plant with the first summer heat, have bloods either, you know what I'm saying. So I'm worried about keeping a very valuable plan alive here. But yeah, that would be it. On all the plants you're gonna move, it's the best time, and just get the roots, move them quick, get them in the ground, and then protect them because the a camulle you can take, you know, some drought, it can take some syllables son and does okay, But when you've got all the roots off, that's a whole different thing. So we got to we've got to prevent the loss of water as best we can with that shading and you're gonna need to live there for a little while.
Speaker 22: Do I need to print it? You know, prune it back some because it's kind of large.
Speaker 2: You could do that. I would, Yeah, well you could prune it back. Some people will cut them back as far as fifty percent.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And before they make the move on a big plant like that, you're probably gonna be left with just sticks. You know, you're gonna have cut off most of the leaves when you cut a good portion of the top, because they tend to be on the periphery. But you can do that. That cutting it back is not a bad idea. Uh. And again there's no guarantees on this, because I know there's a lot of factors involved in that plant surviving. But the main thing is if you decide to do it before next fall, do it tomorrow or today?
Speaker 22: Right, Well, we.
Speaker 6: Might do it today.
Speaker 22: That's why I was calling. And then the one last thing that I forgused to ask was I have a bed of drift roses that I absolutely love that get immense sun. But normally I cut them way back on Valentine's Day and I haven't done it yet. Did I still cut it back as severe as I normally do now.
Speaker 2: It really needs if it really need, Yeah, if it really he's cutting back, cut it back now. If not. You know, april's the big rose blooming month and then it trails off a little bit, and then October is a great month again. I might wait until and enjoy the blooms until they tend to kind of reduce and numbers, and then the cutback then and get fresh new growth. So if you want to put that cutting back off, you can do that. Okay, there's not a block on that one. Okay, Well, thank you for the call.
Speaker 23: Dress.
Speaker 22: You know flower all year long. Really down here, we always flowers. So that's why I wasn't sure I missed the opportunity or not.
Speaker 2: Well, they're repeat bloomers, but it's a good tough rose and so like I said, it's not black and white. You can cut them back now if you want, or you can cut them back if you're already enjoying some early bloom you want to wait on it, you can cut them back a little bit later. Okay, Thank you, Katie, appreciate take care. Nelson Plant Food has products for your lawn and flower beds and other things. I want to talk about their bruce Is Brew. Bruce's Brew is a unique product. We think of it as an immediate release because it's not the slow and easy that Nelson has. It goes on through the summer, but it does have an extended release portion to it. So with Bruce's Brew you get a quick green up, but you also get a release of carbon based nitrogen sources that feed those soil microbes that keep the soil in its best shape. For your turf to be in its best shape. A good, strong, healthy grass is less vulnerable to pests and diseases. And Bruce's Brew is an excellent product for doing just out. You can find it anywhere you buy Nelson products which are all over the all over the Greater Houston area, Nelson plant Food, Bruce's Brew. Now would be a good time to put that down. I'm going to be giving away not Brusus Brew, and I'm going giving away some Nelson products today down at the Cienamulch Cinamltch down south of Houston. I'll be there from one to three, so come by. Perhaps we can put a Nelson plant food product in your hands. One to three down at cinamals Our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seven or seven one three two one two ktrh. That is a good one. If you follow us on social media, both Instagram and Facebook. On Facebook, it is a garden line on Facebook. On Instagram it is let's see how do I do it? On Instagram? Uh, garden line with skip, I think is the Instagram way anyway, Guarden line with skip. You have will have seen a video that I did where Pest Brothers comes and sets up one of their mosquito buckets. A lot of people are seeing it's really taken off, but it's it's it explains the system, and I'm not going to try to explain it to you now. Just trust me. It's cool. It's got natural things like fung guy that killed mosquitos in it, and it's a whole new way of controlling mosquitos instead of going around with a foger and nuke in the place every other day. Really cool. Now Pest Brothers has all kinds of pest control. They don't just do mosquitos, but fire ants and mosquito and wild varmints and termites and everything else. Roaches in the house. Uh, if you call them two eight one two o six forty six seventy two eight one two o six forty six seventy they'll give you a quote, or you can go to the website the pest Bros b r o s thepestbros dot com. Now they cover all the way from over in Baytown all the way to Katie, from all the way in the Woodlands down to Texas City. I mean the Greater Houston area is their service area. Give them a call. Hey, welcome back to garden Lines. Glad to have you with us this morning. We are gonna jump straight to the phones this segment and go to Richard in Dayton. Hello Richard, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 7: Hey, my wife wants to plant some kind of fruit tree, like a tangerine or small aungus something like that.
Speaker 23: Is that something that can be dude done to.
Speaker 12: I have to bomb and pairs and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a citrus. You don't have to worry about that pollination thing that you do with something like an apple, for example. No, you just buy one one tree will be fine. You want to kind of do a little thinking and shopping as you before you go out. If you go to a good quality garden center. They're going to be able to point you to the ones that have the best chance of doing well in your area. Citrus challenge here is we do get cold, and when we get cold then they often can frost and freeze. You're out there kind of northwest of Houston, so I would say you're probably your best bet in terms of hardiness and citrus. Orange like flavoring is going to be a satsuma, which is a mandarin type orange. It has real baggy skin that peels away, real easy. Satsumas are one of the heartier citrus that we have. If you want to grow something that's not as hardy, like a lime or a lemon, you can do that in a big container that can be rolled into a protected spot over a frosty night such as and then yeah, it is a good one. I'm planting one myself this year, and there's a lot of good varieties out there. You are not too terribly far away from Kingwood Garden Center and Warren Southern Gardens over there in Kingwood, and I know they carry them over there, so you might just call them make sure they haven't been cleared out, cleaned out or something like that. But good, good, Yeah, Well you want them on a raised mound so they don't sit in soggy, wet conditions when we have those long rainy spells.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: Mix a little compost into a very large area and not just a planting hole, but you know, it may be four or five feet wide. You know, mix it into the soil and then dig the hole for the plant. Dig the hole only as deep as the container cylinder that you pull out, so you know, like if it's let's say it's a foot when you pull the root cylinder out of the container, it's a foot tall. Then dig the whole of foot deep so that it stays at the right level. Don't plant it too deep, plant it at the same level I would. There's a lot of products you can use. You know, you can mix some something like Nelson's Genesis, Nelson plant food genesis. It's not like a salt base is just going to burn the roots that I don't generally put fertilizer in the whole, but you can mix some Nelson Genesis in that soil and then plant, or you can just begin fertilizing with a product for fruit trees or even even a lawn fertilizer is okay to help get that citrus growing, wait about six weeks after you plant to begin fertilizing it.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, all right, yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 2: You bet. And you know, my advice is free, and I know I'm going to have to wait about three years for you to pay off. But I do need you to bring half your satsumas to the station so I can enjoy it. We stay out of trouble. Thanks for the call. Appreciate that said. I mentioned Warren Southern Garden and kingw With Garden Center. Warrens is on North Park in Kingwood, Kingwo Garden Centers on Stone Hollow. Both of them are open seven days a week, so yesterday and tomorrow they're going to be open. They carry the products that like I was talking about, you know, just sitting there visiting with Richard. I mentioned the Nelson products. Then the jars. They even have filling stations for the jug. So when you empty a jug, bring it back in and you get a better deal on the fertilizer by using the filling station not buying another plastic jar. Plus you don't waste plastic into the environment. They have beautiful, beautiful color fruit trees, roses, annual plants, perennial plants, containers for the plants to just set up and they can give you the advice on how to create a beautiful, beautiful container. Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwoo Garden Center two great places that are worth definitely worth a visiting. Let's heat out to Jersey Village. We're gonna visit with George.
Speaker 24: Hello, George, Yes, good morning. Do you excuse me? Last year, I have a myra lemon tree and he had a lot of one year old last year and they had a lot of blossoms and he said, pull those bossoms off and let the energy go into grow in the tree. Well, this is two years old, man wand he still got a lot of bostom So I pulled them off. Let them Can I pick them unless them grow and have some moments.
Speaker 2: Oh, George, George, I hate this question because let me here's how I'm gonna answer it. And here's why. I know that you're sitting there looking at blooms and I'm about to tell you to pull all your blood off again. You to shoot your go out and shoot your favorite dog. George, No, and I'm not going to do that. I'm gonna give you I'm gonna hedge the bed a little bit. If for the first two years you just remove all the blooms. You grow the biggest tree you can to hang a whole lot of fruit on. And that's why we pull the blooms off early, because in the long term you're gonna get good deals. I understand what it's like to have a beautiful tree, so I would I would leave yourself a few. Just leave a few so you can enjoy the Just remember that the more you leave, the more you leave, the more it's gonna cost you next year's production. That that's end the year after that too, So so find yourself a happy medium there and enjoy the fragrance of those wonderful blooms.
Speaker 5: Are very unbelievable.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 2: Huh, all right, you take care of jars?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That oh, that question I think kills me. It does, because I know, I mean, I listen. Sometimes I don't take my own advice, you know. And my daughter just planted last year. Let's see a lime tree and a satsumme tree, and that lime was blooming this year, and like what you know, I just okay, leave yourself a few limes to enjoy them, you know, in case you need to make a margarita and the grocery stores closed, leave yourself a few limes on there before, seriously, because you get to yet to enjoy them. And the fragrance is wonderful too. So yeah, I don't know, I do. I do hate that. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. You know, they shoot the bearer of bad news in the old days. That's what they That's what they did for sure. By the way, hey wait, if you do go out to Kingwick Garden Centers and Martin Southern Gardens, you gotta you have got to see the house plants that they have. They are gorgeo. Kingwick Garden Centers house plant room is just amazing, as are the pots and things. They got a lot of tropicals in too, by the way, So anyway, lots of cool stuff out there. I am going to be at the Sienamulch today, which Santa Malch is south of Houston. It is the place you go for the brown stuff. It's when you drive out of Cinimals. You know, you have everything you need for success with your plants. You just do. I mean, you've got the brown stuff, you've got the foundation. But today when you come see me, bring a pickup or a trailer or both take home some of the good stuff they have both. They have stuff of the bag and fertilizers and all kinds of things. You know, it's it's the place to go. It's easy to get to, no problem at all. You can go to the website cienamalts dot com. It's easy to find that. But while you're out there, you can pick up some Medina.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 2: I keep telling folks that has to grow six twelve six plant food. You drench it down on plants when you're planning them. I did it the other day. I put a salvy out just recently, and I drenched the I put the plant in the ground, drenched it really good, covered it up with soil. A week ten days later, drench it again, a week ten days later, drench it again. And that phosphorus and the nutrients helps that plant jump out of the ground and take off running. And it's by Medina, and Medina has a lot of products. I'm going to be given away some Medina products today. In fact, I'm going to give them away one of their hose end lawn fertilizers that you just took up the garden hose and you just spread out there and it's it's got good nitrogen in it has zero phosphorus, which don't worry about that. Actually a lot of lawns needs zero phosphorus. But it'll give you a really good boost. And come out and see me. Maybe you can put a bottle in your hands of that quality product from Medina. Well, it's time for me to take a little break here. When I come back, we'll go to your gardening calls. If you'd like to be one of the first ones up. Seven to one three two one two ktr H seven one three two one two kt. Right, let's help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape people. All right, folks, we're back, good heavy with us. Maybe play a little bit of a little more monkey before we come. Come through the entire show today. I like the a been a long time since I heard the monkeys by the way too. All right, well, you're listening to the guardline. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape, and all you gotta do is gonna make all seventy one three two one two. There we go. It's seven one three two one two k T're not that fast. I want to hear some more monkeys, but not quite that fast. Or we could just put talking gardening and just start just start listening to music. There are days. Hey, seven one three two one two k t r ah is the number you need to call. ACE Hardware Texas dot com. Write that down ACE Hardware Texas dot com book market on your on your computer because it gives you all the good. ACE Hardware Stores part of our local Houston ACE Hardware group right here. So wherever you live, there's gonna be an ACE Hardware store near you. What do you need? You know, do you need to do the typical hardware stuff, Well they've got that of course our a hardware store. But walk into one and you will be stunned if you haven't been in one recently. By what all ACE Hardware carries stuff for inside your house, for beautifying inside your house, all kinds of supplies for barbecuing, outdoors, for just you name it. Things you wouldn't expect. Each a square. Ace Hardware is independently owned, so one of them may have a fudge bar in it one of them. One of them may have, you know, some thing that carves cutting boards in it. I mean, they're just everyone is its own unique flavor. But they all have the standard things that you've come to expect and that you need for your garden and landscape. And that includes the fertilizers I talk about on guardline. That includes the products to control weeds and prevent weeds, the products to control insects and diseases. They have that the tools for your gardening. Some of them carry some plants. Ace Hardware stores are the one stop shop for you to have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape, and you need to go check them out. We have ACE Hardware stores all over the area. As I said, you know, for example, if you are in Deer Park, there's Deer Park Lumber in Ace Hardware. If you're out an Orange Child's Buildings Supply. Just somebody call a while ago from out far east and we talked to him about going to the ACE Hardware. Down in League City, there's Kilgore, clear Lake Hardware, Lumber excuse me clear that Lumber, and Hamilton Hardware is on Highway six. North here in the Houston area. There's just a few of the many Ace hardware restorers that we have. Let's turn out to the phones now, we're going to go to Conroe and talk to David. Hello, David, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Yes, good morning and first time caller, and.
Speaker 5: Have enjoyed listening.
Speaker 14: To you and Randy Lemon in the past. But I have a question concerning zeistier grass. And we put it in last year at our rent.
Speaker 25: House, and.
Speaker 14: Our tenant is responsible for taking care of it. But I noticed when I went over there the U it looked almost like a shag carpet, and you know, it was brown and laying over, and so just wandered some recommendations from you on proper care or and I'll check your fertilization. I looked at your fertilization schedule, but I just wanted to know if there was something else we could do to green it up or because it just looks like a mess. It looks like a shag carpet that's brown and a little green, but it doesn't look feeling at all.
Speaker 2: Not a problem, all right, So it's a zoysia. Do you happen to know what kind of zoysia.
Speaker 20: No, sir, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that's fine, Zoysia is you're gonna want to mow those kind of close. You can mowzoisia as close as an inch high. You can mow it up to a couple of inches high. But as you mow low, it makes that tighter. It's not going to look like a golf course green, but it's more like that than the shag carpet carpet that's laying over you're talking about. I would go in now and make sure your lawnmower blade is very sharp, because Louisa is a tougher grass in terms of cutting through it, just a little bit tougher. So drop it down low. I would go down to about an inch and I would cut it off and get all that debris out of there. I mean you can, if you're cutting off as much as I think you will be. I wouldn't leave it on the ground because it's just going to be like a hayfield out there after you mow over it. But anyway, do that mowing back. With the warming weather we're having, it will come back out of the ground. Go ahead now, though, and put down a fertilizer. Have you fertilized it yet? I missed that if you.
Speaker 15: Said it, I have not this season.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what I would do is I would get a product that is going to give you a good slow release at this point. Over time, you can put a fast release out to get immediate release. But we're kind of hitting a point now where I probably would go on and do like Nitrophile Superturf. It's a nineteen four to ten that is a silver bag nitrofile super Turf nineteen four to ten. The ground is warm, the air is warming up enough to where it's going to take off growing. It'll give you about four months of feeding, and that's on my schedule. You'll see on the schedule. I started in April. But since you haven't done an early fertilization, you could just go ahead and do it now. That would be fine. And it's available a whole lot of different places.
Speaker 14: Very good, Very good, All right, Well, thank you so much, and then really enjoy your show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you're up in Tomball. I know auspa Ace in Woodlands on Kirkandal. I know they carry it up there. And I said Tomball, I meant Conroe Woodlands, I know, has it?
Speaker 5: Yes, very good, very good.
Speaker 20: Yes at the store there, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, you take care, bye bye. You're listening to Guardline the phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t rh Uh. Growers Outlet up in Willis since we're in Conra and Willis. Uh, just visiting with David and Conro there. The website is the name. Here's what I mean, Growers Outlet n Willis dot com. That's it. When you go to Growers Outlet, go to the website, check it out. They have their plants, they have fertilizers, they have the bag mulches and soils. Everything you need for success. But you got to check them out. I mean, you know, like you can go in there and look at fragrant plants or look at hanging baskets. I know right now. Uh they have angel wing bogonias. They've got new new guinea impatiens and hanging baskets and some gorgeous gorgeous boog and vedas and hanging baskets, a beautiful selection of shrubs. And you can go to the website and they they will tell you what it costs. You know you, I want to go in there and I want to buy agapanthus and you know you look it up. One gallon size or three gallon? What's it going to cost? They put their prices on the website and they also have availability and they keep updating that, which is really unusual for a garden center to do that. Growers Alt and Willis are on Highway seventy five south of Willis, just minutes away from Interstate forty five, just up the street if you will, from Conroe. Makes it easy to get to through that whole region. Let's see here we have got I'm going to go to Doug in Houston. Doug, I think we have enough time to do a call. Let's give it a shot.
Speaker 23: Okay, Skipball, try to make it quick and emailed you about this this week. I have a property and round top to few acres a half acre that is irrigated Saint Augustine fall of the schedule, and that grass looks good, Yes, it might issue it. I've got about an acre and a half of mixture of kind of pasture grass and weeds and don't have a way of watering it. What's the best way for me to treat that land or that grass.
Speaker 2: Well if you don't have a way to water it when you put your fertilizer out, see when a rain is coming, but hopefully not a rain that's going to be six inches, you know, but just a regular rain. You asked me about azemite and sweet green and other nitovoss products. All of that is good. You can do all of that for your lawns, and I would, and just follow my schedule. It's on there. It tells you what to do. Keep the ground as regularly mode as you can, because the more often you mow, the better your grass looks. And those prairie grasses and things, if you want to keep them, then you can mow a little bit higher. But you don't have to, you know, cattle go graze those things to the ground, as did the buffalo before them, and so they're able to recover really well. Weed control can be preventative if you want to minimize that with the things like barricade. If you are having weed right now you want to deal with that, are broad leaf you can do a post emergent spray, but you need to do it soon before it gets any hotter at all. It's better to get all that done quickly.
Speaker 23: Very helpful.
Speaker 2: Great, Yeah, that's that's a lot. But uh uh that's a beautiful uh beautiful sounding area. I kind of like the sound.
Speaker 12: Around yard out there.
Speaker 23: Who can help me too, So it's very very helpful. I appreciate it. One other question before you go.
Speaker 2: Thanks for Yeah.
Speaker 23: Here in Houston, I'm certain to see a lot of dollar weed in the yard, and the best way to treat that would be what.
Speaker 2: Post emergent broad leaf product with a spreader sticker. Addition, that's a product called a surfactant or a spreader sticker that you put with the broad leaf post emergent weed control so it sticks to those slick dollar weed leaves. Uh, and do it again a S A P. The hotter it gets, the more those products stress. You're Saint August. If we can get it done before we're past the upper eighties, it's good.
Speaker 23: Okay, great, thanks very much.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks a lot, you bet. I appreciate your call you as well. All Right, folks, we're gonna hear music coming here pretty quick, so I'm gonna just say I will be at Ciena Maltz today. I hope you'll come and see me. This is the last time. I'm going to be way down South, way down south, be in Hoston later on, but you'm been down to Sienna. You need to see it anyway. It's gonna be good. There's gonna be folks from a nitrofoss from Medina, from Nelson plaid food all there. I'm going to be giving away products from all three companies and the three sixty tree stabilizer. That wonderful product I keep telling you is perfect for holding a tree allowing a little movement. I want to show you how it works. If you come down there, come to the booth. I'll like to show you how it works. I'll give you a free one if you say the magic words round stuff before green stuff. Remember word at Ciena Maltz. Come with an empty pick up that or trailer even better, so you can take home some good stuff brown stuff for green stuff free three sixty. Take a little break here, I need to refeel on coffee.
Speaker 1: You're welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with Skip Rictores.
Speaker 4: Crazy trip.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as wool.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 3: Thanks to see blocks in grays.
Speaker 15: Not a sad.
Speaker 2: All right, We're back back for another hour at Garden Line. Glad you're with us, by the way, thanks for joining us today. If you are planning on doing some containers container plants outside, and I hope you are, containers are a great way to bring color instantly into a spot. I have what I called a hospital for plants. It's a place out around the corner. You know, nobody sees it back there. When I have a container that's not looking bad, or when i'm building on and go back there, put all the plants together, get them in, get it looking good, and then put it out on display. And if something goes a little wrong, take it back there, put a plan out, put a new one in, or just redo the whole thing. And with containers, it's like that, it's instant, it's everywhere. Jungle Land is a product from Nitroposs and jungle Land for outdoor plants. It's called Jungle n Flower and Vegetable planting. Soil is an excellent product for doing just that. It drains well, that's important, but it holds water that's important and nutrients which is important. Jungle lens designed for success with beautiful pided plants outdoor outdoors, whether it's a patio or wherever you have them, you're going to find jungle Land products. It places like Court Hardware Night Foss products. Place like Court Hardware down on South Maine and Stafford M and D and Cypress and Luetta Langhambree Caase hard Run five twenty nine in Copperfield area is also a place where you're going to find Knight Foss type products. We're going to go now out to the phones and I'm going to go to Cap Springs and talk to cr. Hey cr Yeah.
Speaker 10: Hey, you skip.
Speaker 7: Good morning, and thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 5: All right, So.
Speaker 7: Back in late September early October, I planted about twenty olive trees and they're about five feet tall. And this past winter we had a couple of pretty good freezes out here, and I protected them, you know, certainly best I could with frost cloth, then wrapped them in burlap, and then I put plastic over the top to keep that, you know, when it was raining and sleeping, to keep Anyway, we did a good job of protecting them. They all have survived. And the lower parts and the middle parts, you know, like the top seventy five percent from the base all the way up seventy five percent. They're all green. They look good, but now the top parts for whatever reason, obviously we're more exposed and they have all turned brown. And my question is is this the right time? Do I go in there with my hand prunes and just clip off all the dead brown?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What I generally will will tell folks is if you will let the plant tell you where to prune, meaning when you see you growth coming out, you know it's green up to a spot like you're describing, and then it's dead above that, then print it right above, you know, right into the dead, right there where it dead and the green joined together. So when you can visually see that, go ahead and do do the pruning at that time. And it's a it's a not a big deal.
Speaker 26: You know.
Speaker 2: The olive trees are not super dependably cold hearty here. You'll you'll, you'll, they'll be okay overall, but occasionally you just get this freeze, it really kills them back a lot. And so what what you need to do is just be ready and you know able to respond to that. When those trees are young though, they're they're even more susceptible. So just something to kind of keep in mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I really do.
Speaker 7: The olives are just beautiful I've got them planning in that outdoor area, and they're just beautiful.
Speaker 5: And I know that, I know, you know.
Speaker 7: They're not recommended for this area because they're they like that, they're not really freeze tolerant. But we did a good job of protecting them. So so far, so good. I just want to make sure if pruning them at this time, like right now, it's okay to cut them back like today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today is fine. We're done with cold. It's good to go ahead and use them. By the way, I love your area out there. I think it's I think cat Springs is great and just northy. I love the Agriculture Society Hall that's out there. That is one of those cool old time halls.
Speaker 7: It is indeed, it is indeed, and we enjoy it out here. And yeah, hey, thanks so much, and have a good, good weekend and much appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, you take care. Appreciate that very much. Plants for All Seasons is the garden center there on two forty nine, just north of Doorada, and I mean just north, like you exit Luetta and you just go north on the feeder road just to like a block and you're there at Plants for all seasons. They are true lawn and garden experts. These folks have been doing this. In fact, the garden center's been around since nineteen seventy three and the Flowerty family is run it the whole time. They grew up gardening. I mean they know gardening. They garden in this area. You can bring them samples and plants and other things and they will identify them when you go in. There's always the best plants for the season available for you. You know, some things like shrubs or a year round of course and everything. But when we're what vegetables do we plant? What flowers are good for? Right now? You know what's good for the shade. You just go check it out. Check out their pots too, gorgeous pottery. And I was talking about containers. You need to do a container this year. And when you buy a quality pottery. And listen, over my life, I have bought cheap pottery and it's gone. It broke, it froze in a cracked or something. I bought plastic pottery, it's gone. The pottery that's glazed, it's beautiful. Yes, it's more expensive, but just at whatever pace, you can pick one up here and there and those are the ones that are still rounding my landscape for decades. And all you got to do is say, by plants for all seasons, take a look at what they have. They will help you pick out the plants to create that beautiful combo planter that'll make your patio really really pop. They are on two forty nine, just north of Luetta Road two eight one, three seven six sixteen forty six. Go now out to talk to Katie and Cyprus. Hey, Katie, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 27: A few weeks ago you told a gentleman who had a clover issue to go to Ace Hardware get some weed a side, make sure it had this. It starts with a T, not an A. And I cannot remember what those I went to the Ace Hardware. They had no idea what I was talking about. Never heard of weed aside, never heard of like, Okay, the word.
Speaker 2: I'm just that I'm hearing what you're saying. And it's yeah, tea is in Tom or pa is.
Speaker 28: In party, teas in Tom and it's a word like tetra. And I don't I can't even begin to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, try it well. It feels like we're mixing a couple of calls up at least what I'm hearing in my head, I have to run to a break, Katie. If you will hang on, let me come right back and we'll dive back into this. Are you you are trying to kill weeds in the lawn though? Is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, we'll be we'll be. Yeah, we'll be right back with you. Thank you for hanging on. It's okay to Dan. You're listening girdling. Yeah, all right, Well it's not a jenner bug, but it's a great yess. So get up, let's do this. Hey, welcome back. Good to have you with us. You're listening to Guardline. I'm your host, skip ricord seven one three two one two k t R eight seven one three two and two k H. We're just visiting with Katie from Cyprus, which is where we're going back. Katie. I've been thinking about your question, and so I think the a thing. I probably made a statement that when it comes to pre emergence, I generally don't recommend atrazine type products because they're easily misused and can cause some problems. I don't go on all the detail, but I don't recommend afterzines. Generally I go with other types of pre emergent herbicides, and the herbicide just means it kills weeds. There are things you put out to prevent weeds and there's things you put out to kill existing weeds, and so right now we kind of can be doing both. But the prevention for warm season we mainly have been doing since February mid February, and then the existing weeds you have to use a post emergent for that. So are you're wanting to control weeds that you're seeing now right?
Speaker 28: Well, whenever you told the gentleman, that was exactly it. It was something to prevent it. It was something that you applied when it was wet, like perfectly three days in a row to stick to the clover.
Speaker 2: I got you, it was, I got you, Yes, okay, So that was okay. So Nitrofus makes a product that has trimech in it. That's a t Trimech is in the Nitropuss fertilizer that's in a bluish bag. So they have a purple bag that is a fertilizer with atrazine. That was the conversation. Now I'm understanding what you heard. That was the conversation. You can control weeds post emergent with that when you're going to fertilize. There are times when it is appropriate to have we control at the same time, like that in them we If you've fertilize your lawn, then you just grab a product that you mix up and spray on the weeds. If you have a spotty weed issue, it's easier to do it with a spray on product because you just mix it up and you walk over here and scored a few weeds, and you go over there and score a few weeds and so on. Whereas with the fertilizer combo, then you're going to put herbicide over your whole lawn. And that would be if you got a lot of weed issues that you're dealing with. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 28: It was a purple bagg I know you told them to put it in a spreader.
Speaker 5: Yes, so that makes.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what it was. And the light blue bag. Yeah, but Trimac t r I MAC would be the one. And with that, uh, you know, the Nelson's has a product called Weedinator and it works the same way. You have to wet the weeds and and that don't water the lawn. Just wet the weed, barely wet the weed leaves, and then put it out immediately so it sticks to the wet weed leaves. Leave it for a couple of days before watering it in and getting that fertilizer down in the ground, if you're going to go that route. But yeah, that that was and I think the call at that time actually may have been someone who had bermuda grass, and atrazine is very damaging to be bermuda grass, so you don't want to use it on bermuda. That'd be another reason why I wouldn't have recommended that at that time.
Speaker 27: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, Katie, all right, the mystery in the words of the inspector Clouseau Pink Panther, the mystery is solved. We have done.
Speaker 27: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. Thanks Katie. Take care. How many of you guys remember Pink Panther movies? Oh my gosh. I could watch them over and over again growing up and in later years. Ye know, Pink Panther is just it is one of those kinds of humor that you just watch this bumbling fool turn everything into a disaster. So funny. Steve Martin by the way, did a good job of picking up after Peter Sellers. I have my doubts, but I shouldn't doubt Steve Martin. All right, what are we doing? This is a gardening show. Seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t RH you're talking about that night Foss products. Another one they have is called Sweet Green, and it's a eleven percent nitrogen product that you put out for a fairly quick release of nutrients into the soil. You wet it, it dissolves, it goes down the carbon carbon chain. You know, sugar is basically carbon chain. Molasses is a carbon chain, and microbes love that. It really increases a population of beneficial microbes, creates that rich environment to promote optimum health and performance of your lawn. And it smells good too. With Sweet Green, you just follow the label. It's about about ten pounds per thousand square feet that it would go out. And you're going to find nitro Fosh products at places like Court Hardware on South Maine and Stafford. You're going to find it at Stanton Shopping Center in Alvin, North Taylor. You can find it at M and D both the one on Beamer and the one on Bay Area Boulevard done in clear Lake. Night Fresh products are readily available all over the place, and sweet Green is a great product. If you would like to give us a call and talk gardening seven one three two one two KTR eight seven three two one two kt r H. I love Muss Nursery done in Seabrook. The first time I went there, I was just kind of like, does this place go on forever? I mean, I don't even know where to go. Well, you go where you want to go. It's eight acres. You wander through it, the pathways, through the plants, through the largest selection of pottery I've seen anywhere, and you know, one minute you're going through vegetables and herbs, and then you're in hanging baskets and then just tons of flowering plants for your color beds. There's fruit section, there's shrubs and trees. When you go though, you have to go to the house Plant Greenhouse. The house Plant Greenhouse is incredible. It is incredible. Listen, this is not just another garden center. This is a seventy year old, family operated eight acre source of everything you need in your landscape and in your gardens. While you're there, check some of the quirky T shirt designs that Jim has made. Jim Jim is a 's kind of a renaissance man and in many ways he just he travels all over the place and he does all kinds of things, from you know, blending music to creating beautiful art designs and his quirky T shirts. The eyeball plant. The eyeball plant that is that is one of the ones he's done. That that's really good. By the way, Moss is on Toddville Road in Seabrook, Texas. Uh m a A S nursery dot com. M a a S nursery dot com. That's where you need to go. We're going to head now out to Jersey Village and talk to Sharon. Am I saying that right.
Speaker 8: Charon, Well it's Charon, but different name.
Speaker 26: Charon.
Speaker 2: Okay name, Thanks for fixing that all.
Speaker 8: Right, my Okay, I was bad. I ignored my high biscus. I mean I did bring it in during when the colts fell. But the leaves, some of them are yellowy green and then they have the little dots on the back. I've got the mealy bugs before, but I haven't seen you know all these What do I do to help? It has a beautiful color which it blew?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I need to see those dots because there are different things that could be called white dots. Certainly mealy bugs, they oh black dots. Okay, I see, Okay, are your leaves getting city black mold on them?
Speaker 8: I didn't see?
Speaker 2: Not yet?
Speaker 24: No, not yet.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I mean. I could, I could suggest things, or we could give you the better answer by you taking some close up pictures. Make before you send them, make sure they're in sharp focus, get them as close as you can of the black dots, and maybe show me one of the whole plant, but the black dots, and then let me recommend something. There are aphids that are black that could be out there. There are other insects that could be present, or it could be something else. But rather than go out and just start using a pesticide, let me take a look and I'll give you a better answer that way.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 10: I'll hang on.
Speaker 8: But one more question. You're talking with lady about the whedon feed? Is it still okay to do that nitrofoss whedon feed? My front of my yard has lots of weeds in it, and we.
Speaker 22: Did do that.
Speaker 8: You can't, but I guess the ones that just hung around from winter.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the barricade was for weeds that right now are little tiny seedlings, the ones you see. That's what you did. The nitrofoss blue bag like blue bag, kind of a steel blue color. I'm not good at well, no, I'm.
Speaker 20: Not it yet.
Speaker 8: I was going to get my husband. I thought it was a well, I don't know what color, greenish back. I don't know, maybe it is, but it's it's a trimac in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's there's only one that has trimac from nitrobus. Yeah, you could do that with the leaves. Do it soon one morning, get up early with the leaves and then just put it right out, give it a couple of days and then water it in. So get that fertilizer down in there and that should still work. Okay, don't delay though.
Speaker 8: No, it's damp now, and I don't think the rain's coming in my area yet.
Speaker 2: So all right, all right, well, so like if it's if it was, yeah, if it's going to rain in a day or even you know, but then it'll probably rain tomorrow too. There I would I would hold off because you don't want it. You wanted to sit on the leaves for a little while. You need at least a number of hours of it on the wheat on the leaves.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, well I'll.
Speaker 2: Wait, all right, Thank you very much. Appreciate. Yes, I'm putting you on hold. Jonathan will take your call and give you an email. Thanks a lot. I appreciate, appreciate your call. Talking about nos Moss, I just I just love that place. I love love going through it. It's so cool. We're talking about barricade there visiting with Sharon. The barricade product is designed to prevent weed seeds. And I did a little video on this for Facebook and Instagram. I believe a while back's in a little while. But what's a pre emergent? What's a post emergent? And because people get them confused, they got I got weeds, I'm going to put out barricade. Well know, if you got weeds, you don't use barricade. If you want to not have weeds later, you use a barricade because it stops the seeds from coming up. You watered in about a half inch of water. It sticks into the surface better than most pre emergent products do. By the way, doesn't tend to wash away. Uh And one ten pound bag will cover five thousand square feet. But follow the label on the amount you put it. Always follow the label that barricade. Other Night Foss products you're gonna find at places like RCW Nursery on Tomball Parkway plans for all seasons on Luetta. If you are down in Pasadena, Laporte or Mount Bellevue, each of you has a Fisher's hardware that carries Nito Foss products as well. So talking about things to do in the garden and whatnot. When I come back, I want to give you a few tips on some keys to success in your lawn care and having a beautiful lawn. As we start each season, and this is the start of the big season, reminder that I'll be at Cenamltch today from one thirty to three. Come on out. From one thirty three, I'm gonna be given away products from Microlife Products from night Let's see who else. Nelson Nelson is there, Medina will be there. I'll be giving away some products from them as well. And the three sixty three stabilizer. Very very cool little tool. I'll be given away. And if you come up and say the magic word brown stuff before green stuff, I guess I'd be magic words. We'll put a three sixty tree stabilizer in your hands as well. Come with an empty truck and trailer, because when you get to Siena, you are gonna want to take some good stuff home. All right, I'll be right back. Folks relate to this any of you. Boy, But my crid says, oh yes you can. Yeah, I did that the other day at the yard. Oh my gosh, I have found that there are certain muscles I don't use as often as I probably should. In they're yelling at me this morning. Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us. Hey. The phone number is seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two ktr H. Southwest Fertilizer on the corner of Bisnett and Runwick is a Houston lawn and garden tradition and it has been since Sci fifty five. This is there fifty or fiftieth, seventieth year anniversary. So what do we say? Happy birthday to Southwest Fertilizer. I'm the fifth Garden Line host to talk about Southwest Fertilizer. That's how long they've been around, and that's how good that their products are. Because when you walk into Southwest, whatever you need, if it's growing outside your house, Southwest has what you need to take care of it. Fertilizer, pest control, weed control, fung fungus control, disease control, pruning, equipment of products to apply, herbicides and sprays and other. I mean, if it's growing outside your house, Southwest Fertilizer has what you need to take care of it. And all the name brands are there. In fact, if they don't have it, you don't need it. I like to say that because it's true. I've never walked into there and not seen a product that I think ought to be sold to gardeners here in the Greater Houston area corner of Best Net and Run makes Southwest Fertilizer seven to one three six six six one seven four four. When you walk in, you're gonna get friendly service, You're definitely gonna find quality products, and you are going to find a selection like nowhere else. And by the way, if you're organic, there's not a bigger selection of organics anywhere in the Greater Houston area than Southwest Fertilizer. That is a fact. Uh. The I have a rob I have a robin that is an early riser.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And this morning a five am dark as it could be outside.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Actually it's a blue be four five o'clock. Darn robin is singing to me through the door. I wasn't gonna go outside in the plot or anything, but I mean it was. It was amazing. I don't I don't know what's going on that you talk about. The early bird gets the worm. That is the early bird.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I've started appreciating birds a lot more ever since I started going into wild Bird's Unlimited stores. Wildbird's Unlimited carries everything you need to have success, and they are everywhere. They're six stores here in the Greater Houston area. So if you live in clear Lake Eldorado Boulevard, if you live in Cypress on Barker Cypress Road, if you live down in the southern central part of Houston bel Air Boulevard, if you're out west, A Memorial Drive is a store Kingwood Drive in Kingwood Broadway, East Broadway in pair Land or all Wawbirds unlimited store locations. Right now, the feed of the day is they're nesting Superblend. It's got the essential protein birds need. It has calcium for not only the skeletal development, but also for the egg laying that's what happens during nesting season. You can buy it in a cylinder or in a loose bag, goes in any kind of feeder and it works well. Nesting super Blend also has some meal worms in it. I've got it in my feeders right now, nest boxes for every kind of bird you want. You want to bring in, bluebirds, whatever you're looking for, they've got those as well. And hummingbird season is not far away, so just keep in mind. The best hummingbird feeder that I have, because you can see all the hummingbirds at wance, is the hyph Perch. It's a flat kind of a saucer shaped feeder. It has a little moat so ants can't get into it really really easy. The high Perch hummingbird feeder from wild Birds Unlimited just another one of the many, and I mean many great products. Plus when you go in there, you get good advice. I always have bird questions and I go in and I just know every time I ask, I'm going to get a good answer. And you know, I have to warn you though, just in all fairness, this is addictive. It really is. It's addictive, and so you've been forewarned. But I'll tell you this, you will have the best time in the world starting to learn the birds that you have in the yard, starting to bring them in. You know, when we landscape, we're doing a number of things. We're planting flowers and things for beauty, but we're considering texture with bold broad leaves or fine textured grasses. We're even considering movement. The way bamboo and grasses move in the wind is attractive. We attract butterflies in flying flowers. I call them butterflies going around the garden and landscape. There's sense that we put out there. So when we sit and enjoy the fragrance of plants and then the birds, the songs, the music and the visual of the birds is just part of creating that perfect garden of eden that you want to have in your backyard. So don't neglect any of the important aspects, including attracting the birds in quality. Home Products of Texas is a source where you can get that wonderful Generaic automatic stand by generator. And I say wonderful because no more, it's the quality product. But it comes on automatically. The automatic standby just comes on automatically, and so when power goes off, it comes on and it's amazing. I mean we're talking about like just microseconds that this thing is responding to the electrical flow in your home. Now, when you go in there, be aware that this family owned business been around since nineteen eighty nine. They offer financing options and their products and installation everything fully done by quality home products. This is rare to have a fully engineered, installed and monitored product in a generator. That's rare, and quality home is rare. Their customer service is very rare, and the way that they go above and beyond, and people appreciate that. All you need to do is go to the website quality tx dot com or give them a call seven to one to three quality the way they say it. There quality products and quality service for a quality life. I'm going to head out now to Spring, Texas and we're going to talk to Ann. If I can find the button, Ann, there we go. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 29: Thank you. I have a magno tree. It's a small leaf, it's about twelve foot tall, and it is just sickly. It's probably not in the best soil in the world. But I try to water it and help it. But it is unhappy, I guess, so it need suggestion.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you're talking about you're talking about an evergreen magnolia, right right, Okay, Magnolia's. Some things that can make them unhappy are soggy, wet soil conditions or droughty soil conditions, especially when it's a younger tree the first few years trying to get leaves. Droughty spells are not good, but neither is poor drainage. They need some sunlight in order to do well. Sometimes when you buy a tree the roots, it's been in the pot a long time and the roots are just going around and around in a circle. And if you don't cut them when you plant it, they they don't venture out as well to establish. They're certainly not as fast. And in time, as the roots get bigger and the trunk gets bigger, they can come together where the roots are like a band around the trunk, strangling it. So those are all possibilities of why a magnolia wouldn't perform. It'll take a while for that strangling root thing to happen. How long did you say years had been in the ground.
Speaker 29: Probably maybe three or four years.
Speaker 2: Okay, you definitely don't have a circling root problem. Yet they would take much longer than to develop. So I would, you know what I would do, make sure it's getting well watered. When we get into the hot weather and no rain headn't rained in a week, go out there and just with the hose end sprayer, just give it a good soaking. I mean I'll water a spot three or four times on water it and move around, water around the plant, around the plant. Come back and do that. Or you can buy a product that is called the tree hugger sprinkler, and they come in different sizes from seven inch up to eleven or more inches, and you hook them up to a hose and you can turn it on a little bit where it's just trickling out of that little let's say seven inch circle, or you can turn it up more, but use that to water with a good soaking. And I would do that, and then I would fertilize them with a good quality fertilizer. Personally, I would get you some lawn fertilizer, and for every inch of trunk diameter, I would give it one to two cups of fertilizer one to two cups per inch of trunk diameter. I do it right now, and I would do it again two months from now, and again two months later. And I think that combination of things is the best advice that I can give you. I'm running short on time here. I got to go to a break, but I hope that helps and get that thing. We need to get that thing growing and looking good. Thank you so much.
Speaker 29: Appreciate your hip. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your call. You take care. I'll be right back folks. Wow, well James Brown this morning. See I didn't do that first thing because I wanted to give you time to wake up. Welcome back to garden Line seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful garden as well beautiful landscape and more fun in the process, including hopefully listening to garden Line as Amite is a product that we talked about earlier on the air. Someone had called and was wanting to know about using some various kinds of products. One of them was a might it's mine from a mine up in Utah, and it basically is a micro nutrient or a trace mineral, same thing type of product. You put it out to get the nutrients that are essential to plants, essential to plants, but needed in small quantities into your soul bank account. So when the plants grow and roots are taking up nutrients, you know, essentially twelve months out of the year, there's something going on down there, and they're there. They're in the soil. So when the when the plant is going, hey I need a little bit of zinc, or I need a little bit of boron. Well the route it's got it right here. The guy put a mite down, I got plenty of it right here, And that is kind of how that product works. Now, if you are looking for azmit, you're gonna find it all over almost every nursery I talk about, garden center, Ace hardware store, Southwest fertilizer feed stores. These are all places that typically will carry asamite. You can go to azmite Texas dot com for more information, and now would be a good time to get that first application onto your lawn this spring. I'm going to go now to Kingwood and we're going to talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 26: How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well, sir. How can I help great?
Speaker 5: Great in our yard?
Speaker 26: A couple of years ago, after one of the big storms, we started getting this weed, uh that is growing and growing and growing taking over and it's my wife used one of these online apps and it said it was stinging metal. I don't know if that if you know what that is or anything.
Speaker 2: But uh, anyway, I know, well it okay, go ahead.
Speaker 26: It's more it's more like a groundcover. And yeah, whenever it's like right now, you could go out and pull it and it comes up in clumps and you can and you can do that all right later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what. I know which one you're talking about. Actually, it is called burweed and it does have the kind of stickers and thorns in it. But there's also another one that is a nettle, and that that's the one that you're I think you're more likely talking about. Both of them are broad leaf weeds. Both of them are warm seasoned growers. They'll continue on here for a while. You need to spray them with a product for broad leaf post emergent weed control action. You can go out there and you know you're in the Kingwood areas. I mean you can go buy you know, Warren Southern Gardens for example, and grab you something like that. You're also going to find them at your ACE hardware stores and you got some good ones out there. I just say, I need a broad leaf post emergent weed control product, and what you're going to do is mix it according to the label and just spot spray wherever you see the weeds. Wherever you see the weeds. So I would I would get that done soon because as the weather heats up, the products that kill those weeds, they can be damaging or weakening to your Saint Augustine. So do it early in the morning and do it very soon.
Speaker 26: Okay, I wasn't sure that that was a broad leaf that was that was what was thrown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, broad leaf is a type. It's not a description. It doesn't have broad leaves. It's got small leaves. But yeah, I got it all right. Hey, thanks man, good luck, you take care. Nature's way resources is the place where you go up toward Conro. They're on Interstate forty five where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia into Interstate forty five. But you don't go to Magnoa. You don't turn left, you go right across the railroad tracks and right there's Nature's Way Resources the website Nature'sway Resources dot Com. You need to write that down and bookmarket because you can find out about all their products on there, and they have every possible product you need that's been made the right way. They don't rush things through. They don't say you junk. They you know you don't think you're buying a fine textured mix and end up with something with wood chunks in it that was rushed through just long enough to turn everything black, so you think it's compost. And when it's not, Nature's Way does it right. Rose soil, leaf mole compost and the fungal based compost Bungle based compost is for sale on sale every Friday. Ten percent off bags, twenty percent off book Nature's Way Resources dot Com. You need to check them out. This is where you start. This is the foundation for success, the soil. They also have a lot of great mulches too, by the way I was talking earlier about ACE Hardware stores, visiting with an ACE Hardware owner over in Langham Creek, talking with Rick a while back about some barbecue pits, and they just have so many quality brands of barbecue pits. I mean, you know, you can do Webers, you can do the Traeger grills, the Pellet grills, you can do the Big Green Egg, you know. I mean, each of these has its own cult following, they really do, and then they have all the accessories you need to go with them. You're hearing me talk about this or that fertilizer weed controlled or Pesta disease control. It's at ACE Hardware. It is at ACE Hardware. And ACE Hardware's are easy to find because they are everywhere. If you go to ACE Hardwaretexas dot com, you're going to find ACE Hardware's in your area. For example, those of you out at Rockport, Hey, thanks for listening to Guardline. By the way, Rockport Ace on State Highway thirty five. Port Lovaca has an acehart on Calhoun Plaza up in the Woodlands, Auspas. Ace Katie Hardware on Pinoak is an ACE Hardware Plantation Hardware down on Mason Road, jn Ours up there in Porter. I was there just the other day, Lake Conroe Ace Hardware on Highway one oh five. I mean we could we could just go on and on and on all Star Ace Hardware in Spring just another example up there in Rafer Road. Easy to find ACE Hardware is near you. Acehardware Texas dot Com. And when you walk in, you're going to find what you need to have a beautiful lawn and a bountiful garden. You were listening to garden Line and we are getting close to putting this hour in the books. We'll be taken off again here before long with some more information I want to continue. I got busy that hour. I didn't really go into some of the details that I wanted to go into about things to do in the yard. But I'll get to that when we come back in the next hour. By the way, if you'd met out to Buchanan's Garden Center, you need to go see some of the incredible new arrivals that they've had. They have got so many cool plants, of course, lots of new native plants. That's what they specialize, specialize in more natives than anybody in the region. But even non natives. You know things like mandavilla. What a gorgeous, hot, pink red flower for summertime. It's a vine, It climbs and it just the hotter it gets the more. Mandevilla is happy long as you give it water. Of course, I couldn't survive outside without water. The bougainvilleas there are stunning the succulents or stunning the spring bloomers like you want to. If you want to do a native landscape, go there, because you're going to say I want a tree that booms in spring, and they're going to say something like Mexican buckeye. You're going to say, I want something that grows well in the shade, or I want something that attracts hummingbirds, or something that attracts butterfly. Buchanans is a place for that. Buchanans Plants dot com. Buchanans Plants dot com. That's the website. And when you go there, please sign up for the newsletter. They send it out regularly. You'll find good deals going on. You'll find announcements going on, like they're already talking about their Easter egg hunt on Saturday, April nineteenth, eight thirty in the morning to nine in the morning. Definitely want to get the kids out for that one. But sign up for the newsletter and check it out. Lots of good free information to online on how to have success in your landscape. Well, I'm gonna put this one in the books. It's time now for us to take a little break. Don't forget today. I'll be at Cenamultch from one to three pm. One to three pm at Siena Mulch. Come out and see me. I'm gonna be giving away products from nitrophos, products from Nelson product excuse me not nuts in this Nelson from Medina, and from Microlife Nelson Medina Microlife. At this one we'll be given away a lot of cool stuff and the three sixty tree stabilizers that is the one of the coolest new gardening inventions in the last ten years. It really really works well for stabilizing a tree, whether it's a big old single trunk tree or a single truck tree you're planning, or whether like it's a multi stem crape martle works good for those two because when those leaves come out and the wind blows, it's going to move that plan around and you need to give it a little bit of support, help you have good success. The way I like to put it is you want to be able to hang a hammock in that as soon as possible, So get you a three sixty tree stabilizer. I'll give you one if you show up at Siena Maultch today between one and three pm and say the magic words brown stuff before green stuff. All right, brown stuff before green stuff. We're going to get a little music here in just a bit and go to the breaks. If you have a gardening question and would like to get on the board and be one of the first stup, that's a good way to do it. By the way, when we go to these breaks, seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H, I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 4: It's crazy Gas can trim you just watch him as we'll go. Gas so many.
Speaker 3: Gothis the super crazy like gas.
Speaker 4: You back again, Sorry Glass Gas Sun Bemon of three Gas.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, let's get this going here. We got an hour left Innis this morning. If you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt r H. I'm your host, Skip Richter. You're listening to garden Line and I am here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. At least that's what I would like to see happen. I think that would be a good thing. I'm gonna be at Ciena Moltch today and Cina Molts is down south of Houston. It is near the Highway six and two eighty eight area. Done in that area. It's on FM five twenty one. But do this, go to their website Sienna Molts dot com Ciena Molts dot com. That way, you get the phone number, you get the location. You can put it in your maps and show up between what the event will be going on, not just when I'm there, but even before I get there. But I'll be there from one to three today and I'll be giving away products. I hope you'll come by and see that. For those of you who live out in that region. Meridian Riverstone, Quill Valley, sun Creek Estates, Pomona Lake, See Lake, Olympia, Dimension ROAs, Sharon and Manville and Sandy Point in or Coola and I would call in all that area, this is your hometown local garden supply for the soil store. How is that for a title? The brown stuff before the green stuff. Everything you do to create the foundation that works, and I mean things like quality composts and quality bed mixes. You know, they carry the rose soil that heirloom soils produces, but they also have the nutrients like asimite and products for medina and nitrofoss Nelson's turf Star and their plant food jars and products of course from microlife you're going to find there at Cienamals. So when you drive away, you have everything you need, no excuses. You can create that foundation to have success. Or you can bring a plant home and PLoP it into an unprepared plot and then calmulator when it's dying, because it will be it won't be thriving if you don't prepare the soil. That's so important. Sanimals dot Com. Come on out and see me and bring an empty vehicle. By the way, you're going to want to bring some stuff home. I was talking about some tips for the spring earlier and I didn't get a chance to get around to those, so I just wanted to say that for lawns, for your lawns. Your lawns haven't been technically dormant. They have been asleep on hold if you will, Okay, So they're basically each day of the year, even in the cool season, those roots have access to nutrients and moisture. And as the soil is moderate, which it is here in our southern climate, they're still active. But it's the temperature that wakes them up. And the temperature has woken your lawn up, and now's the time because the warm season weeds know the same thing. They're taken off and they're growing now too, and now's the time to get out there and get active. When you have weed problems, you got to deal with them. But the goal is to build a healthy lawn, a dense lawn. And it's not rocket science at all. It's you you get adequate moisture in the ground. You bring the temperatures up to get our southern long grasses at night that would be Saint Augustine and Zoysia and bermuda grass, get them happy and growing, and then you provide the nutrients. But the secret sauce is regular mowing. It really is. And first time, a turf specialist told me that a turf researcher. He said, yep, mowing is the single most important thing you do to your lawn. And I was thinking, okay, come on, man, I mean water, sunlight, you know, fertilizers and all that. Yeah, those are all important. But the more often you mow, the denser the lawn gets. And a sharp mower doesn't leave all those jagged tips that turn tan and make the whole lawn look pixelated with brown. A sharp mower is important, and regular mowing, and get right on, get on it right away, and get that done. Return the clippings. That's a tip Number two is grass cuppings are plant food. It's what the plant took up to make that grass blade. And so now when you clip it off, you got nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and all the nutrients down to the micros. Put it back in the soil. Let it decompose and it will. It won't make that Clippings are not the primary reason we have thatch. The primary reason we have thatch is overfertilizing and create a lot of grass runners up on top of the ground. That's that's the main cause of that. All right, Well, there was a tip for you. We're going to go now out to the Champions area and talk to Don. Hey Don, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 10: Hey Skip, Thank you very much, appreciate you taking the call. I had pretty severe damage done to my backyard. I have a very large backyard and it was during the storm for Barrel and I three huge pine trees came down pretty well, recavage problems with my backyard, ravage of the whole thing. I'm looking for landscapers and I think I've meant you mentioned pierce Scapes. Uh, but I'll just wonder what your recommendation might be that from people do who do that sort of service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Piercescape Services for sure your area, You're not too far away from them up there. And uh, they just do quality work. I mean they'll they'll do the maintenance, like quarterly maintenance for you if you want them to come out every quarter and spruce up the beds, change out the color of plants, you know, get rid of weeds, put down some extra molts, and check the irrigation all that, or they'll come out into whatever degree you want it. Create a little taj mahall set up there around the place. I mean they can, they can go all the way. It's it's what you whatever you need done.
Speaker 10: Yeah, okay, so you would highly recommend them.
Speaker 5: I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yes, And and if if, if you will go to Piercescapes dot com. And I wish you would look at what they do. And that's that's the proof is in the pudding. When you see the work that they do. That's where it's like, you know, yeah, they I think they know what they're doing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, appreciate that's what I need. And thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Have a good day, all right, thank you for the call. I appreciate that very much. Three sixty tree stabilizers hold your tree steady so that it can move a little in the wind. By the way, movement is important. You don't want to like just strap into a post, but they allow that movement. But they're strong and you can put one on a tree and generally that's enough. Sometimes the larger tree, bigger canopy. You may do one north south and one east west, so you're kind of holding it from two directions. But they're cool. If you'll come out to Cienamals today, I'll show you some. If you say the magic words, what do I say they were, Oh, Brussa for green stuff. I'll give you one too. They're found in a lot of places.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: They have them at Cianamal you'll find them at Plants for All Seasons and Arborgate. You're gonna find them at JEG Hidden Gardens, Done and Out and RCW up on Tomball Parkway and in Buchanus Needed Plants in the Heights area also carries the three sixty tree Stabilizer. I'm gonna take a little break and I'll be right back. Hey, welcome back. If GOODA have background garden line, listen. Microlife products include liquid products, and I should be talking about those more. They've got a couple of them that I just want to tell you about right now. One of them is micro grow liquid AF. Micro Grow liquid AF basically it's putting natural biology in the soil to work for you. It contains like, oh, I don't know, probably eight different specialized beneficial soul microbes in the streptomices, the trichoderma, and then several basillas that are just very helpful for plants. Some of them are even sold as organic pest and disease or disease control products. That's micro Grow liquid A if you can do is a folier spray too, but you can. Primarily we do it for putting liquid product microbes in the soil eight extremely dominating beneficial microbes. Number two soil and plant energy. That particular product is a combination of humic acid and molasses. Now that those two products right there simulate my biological activity, especially the beneficial microbes like we were talking about well ago, but also they provide better improvement for soil structure because the humic acid has its own effects in the soil. It has over sixty three different minerals in it. It's a great for stimulating root growth microlife. Soil and plant energy and micro grow liquid AF two of the many quality liquid products from Microlife. By the way, I'm going to be giving some of those microlife products away today at CNMLCH between one and three. We're going to go now out to Bob in West Houston. Hey, Bob, welcome to guard Line. How are you today?
Speaker 11: It's wet question.
Speaker 2: It's because it's wet, is it. I had one of our little experts in our neighborhood say, well, you shouldn't really be planning today because it's this soil is just too wet. True false. Well, if the soil is soggy, and especially if it's a clay, then messing with a clay soil when it's wet destroys the structure. Destroys the structure. So you don't want to do that. If you've got a decent soil a lot of composts in it, like go out and take a take a spading fork or you know, a hand trowel and just turn over some soil. And if you're creating like a slick sided hole by pushing that through the wet clay, well then then wait, let it dry a little bit. But if it's pretty loose and you're you know, you can then go ahead and do your planting that it'll be all right. It's pretty much organic matter content. Add some microlife to it. Oh yeah, well yeah, as a fertilizer, that would be excellent. Adding composts as well to it helps build that structure. We got a whole bunch of that. The other thing is centipede grass. What's your thought on that? Okay, centipede is done in East Texas. Some it likes acid soils. It likes more on the acidic side. It looks a lot like a dwarf type of Saint Augustine. If you shrunk down Saint Augustine grass blades, that's kind of what centipede looks like. But it's it's more of a shartruse screen than an emerald green, and if you push it with fertilizer, it is very unhappy. The other thing that's a negative to centipede is that in the winter time, I mean, it turns straw tan uh and and you know, even with Saint Augustine you may have some green through the winter. Not with centipede, it's gonna turn tnd. But can you do it here? Yeah? Is it done here?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 2: Not much. You may see it a little further north in East Texas and some sandy soils and some other things, but you know, it's legit. It's just not probably the best choice. So you need a sandy soil, keep an acid well, yeah, you don't really need sandy, but that's where you often see it, and some of the piny wood soils up there. But yeah, that would be it. Hey, let me, I'm gonna have to run. But if you go to Aggie Turf Aggie Turf website, They have a publication on each type of grass, including one on centipede, and they'll tell you way more than I can do it on the air right here. But Bob, thank you. Appreciate the car very much. Appreciate that. Appreciate that a lot. Sorry to have to run on that. Nitrofis Super Turf is the slow release nitrofoss turf fertilizing product for sum because it releases over four months. It's in a silver bag, so it's easy to find you and walk into a store. You can find it all kinds of places, ace, hardware, and a bazillion other kinds of places. They got it RCW Nursery on I forty five North. You go on to Alvin Stanton's shopping center on North Taylor. You're going to find it. M and D Beamer there in Sagemont, as well as the one in clear Lake M and D and clear Lake on Bay Area nine five. Super Turf silver bag four months of good quality slow fertilizing so you don't get into those mowing cycles where you're trying to keep up with the grass because you overdid the nitrogen. It releases it slowly, so you can't do that. Makes it easy. We're going to go now to Sharon out in Jersey Village. Hey, Sharon, sorry, I learned that the first time we talked.
Speaker 17: It was made up.
Speaker 8: So I sent you some pictures, but I also sent one of a vine that I want to know how to get rid of that snuck through a fence and my neighbor for my neighbor.
Speaker 2: Do your pictures have a B? Does your emails have ABC?
Speaker 8: And the email yes, yes, yeah, and I put it a gotcha. It's it's a different okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So the vine, you've got some sort of an ivy growing in there, and I can't quite make out exactly which one it was, but it doesn't matter. Uh, if you use a broad leaf post emergent weed control, it will kill that vine without hurting your loriopy. So a product like you would use for broadleaf weed control to spray would work on that. Another step if you want to go this route, is if you make my herbicide wiper, and it's on the website how to build skips weed wiper. It's really simple to build one. Then you just it has sponges on it and you just you it's a trigger pull like those ah gosh, those little three foot long gadget you used to get a jar offic shelf, you know those grabber tools. It's like that, but it's sponges on the grabber end, and you would just put the product on the sponge and just just squeeze those leaves here and there, and it'll trick. It'll transport pourt down into the roots and it will kill them. That that is an option for you.
Speaker 8: Then I sent hibiscus pictures also in a separate email because I realized.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let me. It takes me a while on these on these emails where the picture is embedded, I can't just open it up, and so I got to use my wide screen to see it. What was your question about the hibiscus, by the way, Well I had this was the things on the leaves.
Speaker 6: And I sent it.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, the poor hibiscus got abused this past year in winter.
Speaker 2: All right, So what I'm seeing on your hibiscus is aphids. It's a black aphid, and those little white things are the skins, the cast skins of the aphied. So I would get insecticidal soap and I would blast that plant from every angle, especially upward because most of the aphids are under the leaf. Just give it a good bath, and so don't do it right in the middle of the hot sunny day. It's in a container, so you can move it to the shade and blast it was soap really good and follow the label, don't mix it too strong, and then I'd repeat that process again in about ten days, and I think that'll knock all that out for you.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, all right, thank you, okay, thank you, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks for sending me those pictures. You bet. Yeah, and sexicidal soap works very very well for salt small soft bodied insects like spider mites and aphids and well even things like you know, mealy bugs before they get all that protective coating. It does a decent job on those as well as whitefly pupa, but not the adults. All right, Well, there's that jungle end from nitro foss is a product that comes in both the outdoor form and the indoor form. I want to talk about the indoor form. That's jungle land water saving potting soil. Jungle land water saving potting soil. Now that one has the crystals in it, Now I know you don't forget to water your plants. I would never admit that I often water don't water my plants regularly enough, but some people do. So just train you and I, you know, asking for a friend. If your friend forgets to water their plants and they get a little on the dry side, those water saving crystals hold onto water better and even though the PD mix may dry out in the potting soil, he gives you a little more time to get in there and get them watered before they start trying to kill themselves because you are just horribly ignoring them. You know, plants have feelings to you, right anyway. Jungle Land water Saving Crystals it's a great product. It's made out of quality, decomposed organic materials and provides the ability to hold water but the ability to drain. Those two are important because we kill more house plants by overwatering than we do by under watering. They do not put up with that. So check out jungle Land. You're gonna find jungle land in and other nitrofost products in places all over town M and D and Rosenberg on Avenue I. They carry it out there. You can go to Katie Hardware on Penoak out in Katie. If you go up to the woodlands to Auspa on Kirkanal, they're going to find them there as well. You are listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H. I think would we take the phone off the hook or something? I got awfully quiet there all of a sudden. So there you go. RCW Nursery is that garden center that I talk about all the time where Tambau Parkway comes into belt Waga Tamo Parkway belt Waita. RCW nurseres dot com is the website if you want to do that. I like to follow them on social media. You find out a lot of good stuff just by checking them out on their social media page. Right now, Roses roses, roses blue looming. Great time to pick out a rose. The redbud trees have been having ballooms on them for a while now they're boogin villias are gorgeous. They have vegetables and they have herbs, and they have flowering plants, lots of shrubs. You know, they grow their own trees up in Plantersville at Williamson Tree Farm up there. And so when you get a tree at RCW, you get a tree. Number one, that's a species that want to grow here. For sure. It's grown for here. They know what grows here. They grow that. Number two, you get a tree that's grown well. It grows right, it's anchored well in the pot. You know it's not well. It's just the way some people grow trees. They don't take care of them right, and the tree is not in good shape when you get it in terms of strength and anchorage. At RCW, it is, by the way, when you're there, you can grab one of those three sixty trees stabilizers to stabilize your tree. If it's a small tree, can plant it yourself. It's larger, you know, don't put your carpractors kids through college. Let RCW come out and plant it for you. And they'll do that. They'll come out and they'll get that tree in the ground, and if you want to do it yourself, they'll give you the advice and the products you need to have a good successful planting. I was dealing with a Vitex in my landscape last year, and Vitext. I would say, I can prune any kind of tree in the world except Vitex. Vtex just doesn't lend itself to making a tree. You can do it, and I'm actually doing it. But you know, you're trying to get a trunk and branches and stuff, and Vitex is going, naw, I'm gonna go over here. I'm gonna grow something over there. I'm and it's just this weird thing to try to grow. I love the plant. Beautiful blossoms all through the heat of summer, and a blue color. That combination is hard to find in summer. We don't have a lot of a lot of blue coloring. Love Vitext, but boy, pruning it. I finally got mine trimmed up to a single trunk. Oh, it's about seven feet high and then it spreads out, uh, and it's going to form a little bit of shade over an area where a car parks all the time that is very very sunny. So anyway, and the bees will love you. The pollinators in general will love you for that plant too. We're going to go now to make sure I got time to take a call. We were to the Woodlands and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 30: Hey, jep question. I put the Nelson's Whedon Theater on probably late February early March, and just pick some A's mite up. Is it is it time to put that on as well? And do I need to fertilize again with A mentioned that silver bag and all that, don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, Well, here's the deal. You put the weedonater down. I would wait about six weeks to eight weeks, probably more like eight weeks, and then go to your summer fertilizer. And if you want to stay with the Nelson, that would be a product called slow and Easy. I'll be talking about it a little bit more as the weather worms up a bit. Slow and easy. Now the silver bag your time, that's from Nitrofus and that is also a slow release summer fertilizer. So you hear me talk about both of those. I know it can get confusing, but if you use the weedon eator the same company's products called slow and Easy, but give it about eight weeks after you've used the first one so that it soaks in really good. Hey, i've got a run. I'm up against a very hard break. I'm gonna put you on hold and we'll see if we can get back to you right after. If you're done, just feel free to hang up. Alright, folks, let's get back to it. I'm gonna go straight out to the phones to West Chase and we're going to talk to Bill next this morning. Hey, Bill, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 6: How you do it?
Speaker 14: Skip?
Speaker 6: I was planning so good?
Speaker 5: How can I help it?
Speaker 6: I was wondering what sort of fertilizer composition should I use for my hibiscuses that I'm planting.
Speaker 2: Well, the folks at Nelson have a nutristar product for hibiscus type plants, so they you know, their nutri Star line or the little jars of products coming a couple of sizes. But they have a vegetable garden one in azelia and acid loving plant one, and they do have something as well for plants like the hibiscus I would use that. It makes it real simple and easy, uh to do.
Speaker 6: Well. Someone had said something about muriate of potash.
Speaker 2: Potash. Yeah, no, Well, murate of potash is a potassium only fertilizer, and so, I mean, you know, if you want to do mixing up your own fertilizers, you get something with nitrogen, you get something with potassium which is also called potash and whatnot. But I would just you know, I would just grab the Nelson's hibiscus. It's called Nutris star hibiscus. It's got a good balance of the nutrients that hibiscus needs in it, so it works on everything that's in the hibiscus family.
Speaker 6: Really, would that also do well for indian hawthorns?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would because it's got a good amount of nitrogen, a little lower phosphate, and then a very good amount of potash, which is what you were just asking about in that Nelson hibiscus. So you could put that on your hawthorns indian hawthorn, and it would do well for those as well. If you got a lot of them, you know, then you may want to switch to something in a bigger bag. But the Nelson comes in different sizes of jars, a two pound to four pound. You can buy a fifteen gallon bucket or a twenty five pound bag out of it. The Nelson nutri star hibiscus sounds great. All right, all right, you take care, you bet, Thank you for the Thank you for that call.
Speaker 22: A lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nelson products are all over the place in terms of options. You know, I will have an aziia, well, get the azella and acid loving plants. I have a blueberry that's a niceid loving plant. Use the same thing. I've got a vegetable garden, use that one. I mean, they're all kind of plumeria and rose. They have a rose fertilage everything else. Nelson plant food works really really well. Let's go now to Mike in Surfside. Hello Mike, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Hey, thank you Skip.
Speaker 23: I have a real quick question for you.
Speaker 20: I'm promping propagating some Alavera plants and I'm trying to figure out what type of soil should I put the babies in. Should it be like a cactus type mix or this regular potting soil?
Speaker 2: What was the plant again?
Speaker 30: Please?
Speaker 5: Alavera al air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would get. The folks at Heirloom Soils have a number of different products for potting soils and other things like that, but I would get they have one that is for cacti in succulents, the cactus and succulent type mix. It works really really well. It's called Cactus and Succulent. So it comes in bags and so you can use it to fill up your containers and anything that needs a kind of gritty soil where the drainage is better than typical potting soil, way better. Cactus and succulent from heirloom. Now, heirloom products are available all over the place. In fact, if you go to the website heirloomsoils dot Com, there's a little QR code. You point your phone at it like you're taking a picture, and it'll help you find a retail outlet near you. Okay, heirlooms dot Com, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Got it. How about the snipe plant?
Speaker 20: Would that fall into the succulent category?
Speaker 11: Also?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it I have I put snake plants in regular soils. You know, Airlom Saws makes one called the Works. It's just potting soil. I have snake plants in that if you want to put a little gritty in there. It's always good to have good drainage in your mixes. So it's not gonna hurt to put it in calculus and succulent. But I think I would just grow that in the works. Uh. The Works is another bag of potting soil. They have Airlom soils. So yeah, and remember now, I don't want to put I don't want to put press. I don't want to give you pressure. But if you can't grow a mother in long tongue a sense of area. Uh, that is the sign of you need to just give up on plants and start buying plastic and silk flowers.
Speaker 20: I've got I have a large mother mother plaque. All of the mother plant. I just keep hacking them off, you know, and you just repot them that I want to make the correct soil. Yeah, all right, cool.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's that is the plant. Thank you, man. I appreciate that. Thanks a lot. Yeah. Airloom Soils. Airloomsoils dot com, go check those out. Nitrophos has a number of quality products that we can use in our gardens and landscapes and lawns and things like that. If you're looking for a fast green up, they're Imperial. Fifteen five to ten is a product to do that. You put it down, you watered in, it dissolves, it goes in the plants, take it up. I mean it's like tomorrow, you know, getting you're getting those things in the plants. So fifteen five to ten is a red bag, a Nitrophs Imperial, and it's sold all over town, lots of places. Now I know it's a lawn fertilizer. But I'm telling you I've used fifteen five to ten for fruit trees and other things. You know, it's it's a good fertilizer period, but it's one that's going to give you a quick release. So don't overdo it unless you want to mow a lot. Just put a modern amount. The bag will tell you how much to put down. It's immediate release. Now if you want these folks that is going to say, well, now I've got a bunch of it on to use it up. Well, then I would spread out about six weeks apart into a light fertilization every six weeks and you could just use that product through the summer. My preference would be to go to a slower release, but you can use that imperial and in small amounts through the summer too if you got it on hand. But that's an excellent product and you're gonna find it in a lot of places. You know, the M and d uh down in Sagemont, the Lake Hardware and Clute is going to have it Ospase as in the Woodlands. RCW Nursery carries night Fosh products too. Let's go out now and talk to Kenneth Hey Kenneth, Welcome to Guarden Line.
Speaker 12: Good Mornings. GET first time caller. I had a question on compost. I have access to your compost is being made at a facility for free, and I have top soil in my home and I'm trying to understand how much I would want that new compost only.
Speaker 2: What what are you going to grow in this?
Speaker 12: I want to use it in my garden.
Speaker 2: In Okay.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know a lot a lot of the bed mixes, like the veggie nerve mix and stuff, they are primarily organic matter as opposed to the mineral soil product. I mean they you know, primarily organic matter. So I would you know, it depends on exactly what you're going to grow in the quality of the soil you have right now. But you could do fifty to fifty on the compostor with the soil that you have and mix them up really good and go with that route. That would be one one option.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I think it's pretty hot stuff. I mean it's I know, the company that they sell it to, I think they mix it pretty good, but they're I just didn't know how much ease it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I understand, and uh yeah, we're not talking about Madisonville mushroom compost here are we we're talking about Are we talking about mushroom?
Speaker 12: No, it's a mixture of milk product being product waste.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Well, now, a lot of folks, you know, are gonna shy away from using the human waste composts in a vegetable garden just because of the potential that's there for something going wrong or maybe heavy used to be heavy metals were worried about a lot as well as I generally don't recommend those kind of products in a vegetable garden.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, it's a fertilet. I mean, it's a it's a compost, so it does what compost does. Would just be a little I'd be a little cautious on the human waste. But that's that. That's just nice to you on that.
Speaker 12: I think the human waste is not near as much as every other thing. I mean, they do put a lot of tree moults with it when they grind them up.
Speaker 24: All right, Okay, I understand, Kenny, Okay, thank you sir.
Speaker 2: There are a number of avocados that will do well here. Yeah, I Ken of I've lost you on the call. There, But there are a number of avocados. Go to the kinds of nurseries hear me talk about, and they will sell you the kind you need to plant here. There are some kinds you don't plant here, but there's something you do. Yeah, those human waste products. To have to crack a joke right here in Austin, there's something called dillo dirt and it's made from sewage sludge. And I think the label in the bag should be there's a little of you in every bag. With that, I'll leave you. I'll be right back in a while. Since Aric Allan, Hey, welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. Have you been to Nelson Water Garden and Nursery. There are our premiere nursery out west of town. All of you looking towards the west, this is the place to go. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens. Nursery and water gardens. Now, I know you know they're nationally famous for the water gardens and they invented the disappearing fountain and everything. How about the nursery part. It is a great nursery. Lots of seasonal color right now, beautiful roses, annuals that can take the sun. Beautiful plants for the shade, like a wide variety of colius colors and things in the shade. But I just want to focus on one particular thing right now, and that is the herb products that they have. The herb plants that they have. They have things like cinnamon basil and lemon basil and sweet genevies. That's one of the best ones for culinary use, Tiam or Taysiam queen basil. Then they got mints like penny royal and peppermint, and chocolate and red stem apple mint, English mint, Kentucky Colonel mint, I mean Jacob Klein be bomb. If you want to make the pollinators happy, especially bees in your garden, get some of the beautiful colored I believe it's a deep red the last time I had Jacob kleinb deep red bee bomb that just grow. It's a mint family plant, Golden Greek oregano, Italian oregano, true Greek oregano, pineapple, sage barbecue, rosemary barbecue, you know what that is. Rosemary goes these long, straight green stalks so that you can skew your meats and vegetables on them and use them to make kebabs, you know, as you're barbecuing out there in the grill. Isn't that cool? I mean you can use it for other things too, and then time and lavender and on and on and on. But when you think about Nelson Water Garden and Nursery outing Katie and by the way, it's on Katie Fort Ben Road. You go out there and turn north and it's on the right hand side, just a little bit up the road, on the right hand side. When you think about them, think about all the other plants that Nelson Nursery and Water Garden has. And by the way, put on your calendar April twenty sixth, that's another one of their sip and stroll. It's a free event. They've got drinks, light refreshments, so they're gonna have some music, live music going on there. Shelby will be out there with Nelson Plant Fertilizer answering your questions as well. Those sip and strolls are wonderful. Plus you get the free sound of running water, which is the most therapeutic thing that you can imagine. Absolutely, you can imagine. All right, let's go out there to Conroe. Now we're going to talk to Jim. Hey Jim, welcome to garden Line. How are you doing today?
Speaker 15: Great?
Speaker 25: Great yourself this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you good.
Speaker 5: Hey. Question.
Speaker 25: I'm gonna look at some Early Greenup.
Speaker 11: I've used the fifteen five to ten before, but.
Speaker 25: I had some micro Life that I had left over from last year. I bought way too much didn't use it. And it's a six two four. I don't know what the shelf life like that is, Yes, sir, yeah.
Speaker 2: Jelf life still it's yeah, shelf life. It's still good to use. It's still good to use. And you mentioned Early green Up. If you want to, if you only use a micro Life product for Early green it'd get the blue bag Microlife Ultimate. It's got an extra boost of nitrogen charge in it that'll give you some quick results as well as the ongoing results of the you would expect from micro Life fertilizer. Yeah, you can use it now. And by the way, you know you said you had some left over. You can use the micro Life six T four on all kinds of things. I mean, you can put in your flower beds, you put around your fruit trees, you can use your vegetable gardens. So you know, if you have some left over, just find other places to use it. It really worked. I would put it on roses as well. It's got a higher nitrogen content to give a boost of growth there. Yeah. So just because it's a lawn fertilizer, uh, you know, don't let it sit around waiting for next lawn season. Go ahead and use it all all over and get you some fresh stuff when we get back. Okay, you're set up. You're saying, thank you so very much.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Great.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your call. Thanks a lot. You take care of Jim. Yeah. You know, plants can't read. This is a this is my educational announcement. Plants can't read, so when you put a fertilizer on them, they just want to know is there some nitrogen there for me? Is there some phosphorus? You know, I got to do a lot of rooting here. I'm trying to get started as a new transplant. Need some phosphorus. You know. They don't know what the fertilizer bag says, and it says it's a citrus food or a rose suit or whatever. That just means the ratio of nutrients is a little different in those But the bottom line is, you know, you get a quality lawn type fertilizer and it's good for a lot of things. Now, I wouldn't you know, something that wants a lot of heavy phosphorus feeding all the time. You know, well, yeah, I wouldn't use a lawn fertilizer on that year after year after year. But when you got something on hand, don't afridge, just use it. It's okay to do that. And an example of a good lawn fertilizer that you could use for other things as well is Nitrophoss Superturf. That's their silver bag. Now, it's a nineteen four to ten fertilizer, so it's roughly a four to one two ratio, which is excellent going through the summer. You may be thinking, nineteen percent nitrogen, I'm gonna burn it, that's too much. No, here's the difference. That nineteen percent gets gradually released over time for four months. So it'd be like taking a less concentrated fertilizer and applaying it two or three times, depending on the concentration of the fertilizer. So when you put nitropas super turf out, you're only going to put about five pounds per thousand square feet. That's a very very low rate, so it goes a long way. It's perfect for Saint Augustine Bermuda Zotzia. Again. Four months of feeding and by gradually releasing the nutrients, you don't get that flush of grass blade growth that means your momo mo trying to keep up with it. It gives you a nice even feed and you're going to find it a lot of places. You go up to D and D Feed and Tomball on twenty nine to twenty west of town, they're going to have it there. You go to Plants for All Seasons on Tomball Parkway just north of Luetta, they're going to have it there as well. You go to Lake Hardware in Angleton of Alasko, or you show up at all Sposece up in the Woodlands on Kirkandal. All these are places that carry nitapas products, so they have no excuse for not being able to find them because they are widely available. Well, I had a thousand things I was going to talk about today, and uh, we got to some of them. So maybe we'll take off and do this again tomorrow. I'm about to jump in a car and head to Ciena Maltz south of Houston. Go to this website cienamultch dot com. That'll give you the phone number that'll give you the address. It's really easy to get to cienamultch is if you need. If you want an address, it's on FM five twenty one down in Rows, Sharon, five twenty one down in Road, Sharon. Come see me. I'm going to be giving away nitrofush products. Why do not keep saying that this one I'm giving away not nightful. I'm giving me micro life products, and I'm giving away products from Medina, and I'm giving away products from Nelson Fertilizer, all of those. And if you show up, you're probably gonna go home with a free product, because I got quite a few to give away. And if you show up and say brown stuff before green stuff, the magic words, you'll get a three sixty tree stabilizer for your new tree plantings. And that those are cool and they last forever. Once you got one, you're gonna have it for a very very long time. Excellent products. So remember magic words brown stuff before greenstoff. That'll not be hard to remember because you're gonna be at one of the best places in the world to get composts and fertilizers. Yes, they carry all my fertilizers down at Cienamlch and Mulchz as well. So come with an empty vehicle and come to have come have some fun, all right? I think I have a couple of seconds here to run out to Cyprus and talk to Robert. Hey, Robert, welcome to gardener.
Speaker 31: Yes, thank you, and thank you for taking my call. I've got being overwhelmed with clover cock burrs, and I don't want to put two four too fertilizer down from my grass because it's going to do nothing to promote the growth of the clover. I'll hang up and listen. Can I I find something that will kill just the clover cocker burns?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah you can. And you can go out to a garden center or a feed store or an ace hardware store. You know, when am I leaving out Southwest Fertilizer, you know all those places are going to carry post emergent broad leaf weed control products. So basically, you're getting a liquid, you're mixing it in your little sprayer, and you're growing around squirting those weeds with it. And there are a lot of them out there, and so you know, I'm going to give you a couple of examples in recommending the product. It's just an example. Fertil On weed free Zone is one. Bone eye weed beater Ultra is another one those products. When it heats up upper eighties and definitely the nineties, you can stress your Saint Augustine with them. So go ahead and get it done now, and do it in the morning even as it heats up a little bit more. If you get that spray down in the morning where it dries up for the day gets hot, you're not going to see that kind of damage on it. But those are the ones there. Each of them is a combination of different products. They go at those broad leaf weeds in different ways, and so with that combo all those many different kinds of weeds you have in your lawn, you're probably going to get ninety nine percent of them with that kind of a spray. It works really good. Remember that things like clover are cool season weeds that are going to seed, So if you spray them and kill them, they probably already have viable seeds on them, so they'll be here next fall to germinate. And a pre emergent before they germinate in the fall will be a technique. What I do in my yard. Once I see the seed on a weed, I just pull it up. Now, I know, if you got a lot, that may not be practical. But when you pull it up, you get all those seeds out of there, and you don't sentence yourself to several years of pulling weeds. That's the tip of the day.