Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Okay, just a couple of quick things.
Speaker 3: Oh, just a hot hot note here, FEDS raised interest rates are half a point taking the more aggressive stance.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that here in a second. Hey guys, Shannon, what the heck are you still doing there in the Carolina Kiddo? I thought the game was over with on Sunday.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Come home unless you're planning on moving there. Okay, love your show, Love you guys. Bye.
Speaker 3: On a side note, I just got a text from your husband that asked, is there any way that you might be able to stay in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: For the next week. Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I will have you know. He misses me and I want to be at home. The Chargers are staying here this week because they play in Pittsburgh on Sunday, So the coaches wanted to keep the team on the East Coast rather than fly back and forth to wear and tear on the body and you know, getting off schedule. And this way they'll be acclimated to the time change and all of that, Right, good.
Speaker 3: I like that reason. I mean I would have preferred if you had gone to London. I mean that would have made more sense, or Berlin or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right the last time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember though, Yeah, we stayed in Cleveland for a week before going on to the game in London, which made sense.
Speaker 5: Is probably much better.
Speaker 1: Than Yeah, in hindsight, aside from having dinner last night, I would have gone back. I should have gone back and forth, because there's not a lot to.
Speaker 2: Do here, and I'm in this studio that's the size of a closet.
Speaker 1: And there's no window, and poor Jacob has to just listen to me ramble and the brakes about nothing.
Speaker 3: About time he gets to listen instead of me. But last night, what was that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Last night was the dinner with your mom, your biolot?
Speaker 2: Right, all right, here's the other.
Speaker 3: Oh, dare you guys compare dogs autism to a child's autism?
Speaker 2: Not what you guys are, not what we were doing, not at all what we were doing.
Speaker 3: In fact, I was trying to make the very specific delineation that that veterinarians say dogs don't get or have autism.
Speaker 1: Oh, speaker, Johnson's spending plan hits the floor today. It's where we kick off.
Speaker 2: Watch swamp is horrible. The government doesn't work. Man, make it like a reality TV show, A bad noose. Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Hey Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 5: Still a swamp. Watch of malarkey. Nobody said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 1: I said, Oh, that's so Heph. You know the thing, Okay, So if this spending plan fails, it will publicly highlight what some GOP members have been saying privately for days. They cannot pass any funding bill on their own. As of late last week, about ten GOP members were poised to vote no on this. Some Republicans are hoping that once the bill fails, it'll force Mike Johnson and the rest of the conference to turn to a backup plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a lot that goes into this game. This isn't just spending bills that this happens. There's a lot that goes into the game of I'm going to put it up for a vote so that you are on the record voting for or against whatever it is, so that you can hold it against the other party or the other candidate, or however you want to do that. And this seems like there are sort of baked into this legislative process. There are these votes that we know are doomed that will then sort of change the tactics for whatever negotiation has to come next. Mike Johnson's plan calls for extending funding at current spending levels for six months through March. Calling it or linking it, I should say with the Save Act, which is legislation that Trump likes that would require people show proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. The way it is, I guess you would say whipped. Now in terms of the number of votes, it would be failing because there are a number of Republican lawmakers, some of them fiscal conservatives, some of them defense hawks, have vowed to tank this thing.
Speaker 1: Mike Johnson does not look like the once rising star that I thought he was. In the first eighteen months of this Congress, only seventy laws were enacted. Calculations by political scientists Tobin Grant, who tracks congressional output, put this Congress on course to be the do nothingnesshingest wow do nothingest since eighteen fifty nine to eighteen sixty one. That's when the Union was dissolving.
Speaker 3: That's just great, that's a nice poor tends well for the future.
Speaker 1: They say that his house, Johnson's house isn't merely unproductive, it is lunatic. That Republicans have filled their committee hearings and their bills with white nationalist attacks on racial diversity and immigrants.
Speaker 2: It's there.
Speaker 1: They're just there's just too much fat and weird far right fringe causes.
Speaker 2: I guess that that are just gumming everything up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's also it's not just the far right caught far right because they won't they won't do this. And they say that Mike Johnson is a weenie whatever words they're using behind closed doors, because he's not standing up to Democrats and I it seems like, if if you follow what happened to Kevin McCarthy at the beginning of this year when they ousted him as a Speaker of the House, his argument in favor of staying was, or his defense of his behavior as Speaker of the House was, listen, we can't just stop being a government. We can't just shut everything down, because that's not only bad for the thousand, hundreds of thousands of people who work for the federal government and rely on federal old dollars. It's an awful it's an awful message to send internationally about what condition this country is in. And Mike Johnson, I feel like, got in there and realize once he sits behind that speaker's desk and holds that gavel. Uh Yeah, there is a lot of power that I wield and I need to make sure that I do this carefully so as to not grind this government to a hall, even if I believe that it should because you want to control spending or whatever, but also because we are in a very precarious time internationally and we have to be able to have some semblance of normalcy, togetherness, cooperation whatever. We're talking crazy now, I know, But that's why everybody's so angry at him. At least the people in the fringes of his party are so angry with Mike Johnson because they're saying he's not sticking up for what Republicans want to stick up for. Angels blank the White Sox yesterday five to nothing. They will play an early afternoon game in Anaheim, a couple hours from now. Dodgers lost to the Marlins eleven to nine. But but Shoho Tani did hit his forty eight home run of the year on his way to his first what could be fifty to fifty season, anybody's fifty to fifty season, fifty home runs, fifty stolen bases. He also has forty eight stolen bases right now, but he cannot steal a base if he strikes out three times and only hits home runs.
Speaker 2: So they play again today.
Speaker 1: The Federal Reserve announced, as you word in Deborah's news, that it is lowering interest rates by half a percentage point, penciled in two more cuts before the end of the year. This is a larger then standard rate cut.
Speaker 3: A little more aggressive than a lot of people were suggesting would be necessary, but that they were not involved in the discussions by the Fed. So the reaction on Wall Street is been positive. Right now, the dall is up one hundred and eighty eight points NASDAK and S and P five hundred also up in positive territory where they had been below they'd been underwater most of the morning.
Speaker 1: It kind of shows that they're nervous about the labor market, which has been rather weak. Layoffs do remain low, but job opportunities have dwindled. Employment has been pushed up gradually, and a further rise in joblessness could be more painful and more swift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said that really there's one Gross domestic product is really the strongest economic indicator as of right now, should be at about a three percent annual pace for the third quarter. And if that's the case, then they're shying away from the calls that this is we are expected to get into a recession. They're saying if the GDP stays up at three percent as predicted, then we're going to be in good shape and that this could we could withstand whatever stress comes out on the economy as a result of these.
Speaker 1: But Senator Chuck Grassley has been investigating what happened in Butler County, Pennsylvania during that assassination attempt, and he says he has figured out that Secret Service agents assured the local law enforcement that they would secure that building that the would be assassin fired his weapon from Butler County. Law enforcement officials stated that at separate times during the walkthrough, when they reiterated their concerns to the agents and encounter sniper about securing that building, the agents responded, we will take.
Speaker 2: Care of it.
Speaker 3: So the Iowa Senator Grassley is trying to figure out whether the Butler Butler County law enforcement officials claim is true and if so, what did the Secret Service do to take care of it? To use their words, and he said, in the weeks after that first assassination should attempt that the interim had The acting head of the Secret Service told senators what was communicated is that the locals had a plan and that they had been there before in regard to the roof of that building, and this was directly disputed by the law enforcement officials. Interviews with Grassley staff, how do you determine? How do you how do you figure that out? You get all those guys that were involved in that pre rally briefing together in a room and say what exactly did you say? And now say it in front of the guy that you said it before to see if there's any conflict or confusion about what it was.
Speaker 1: So you know how we complain about sorry side note, you know how.
Speaker 2: We can you got you got very quiet, like someone's here that can hear you?
Speaker 1: Well, somebody came in. Oh, and you know how we complain about the temperature in our studio. How it gets really cold and there's no way to control it. Yes, well, they actually have a way to control the temperature in these studios, but apparently they're connected. So this guy comes in and I guess I have the thermostat in here. This guy comes in, he goes, I just oh sorry, I just gotta I gotta lower this because it gets really hot in my studio. So he lowers it like freaking ten degrees. So now it's like freezing in here.
Speaker 3: Why without regard to the fact that it's going to change your right right.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe I don't matter because I'm a visitor. But yeah, that was a bold move. Yikes, it's gonna be okay, we'll survive this. I brought a jacket for this very inevitability.
Speaker 2: The update on campaign stuff.
Speaker 3: Vice President Harris during an address today to the Congressionalist Panic Caucus Institute's Leadership Conference in DC, said if Donald Trump returns to office, there will be mass deportations and massive detention camps he gets back in office. Trump, like I said, is planning to hold a rally later tonight in Uniondale, New York the Nassau County Coliseum on Long Island. New York is not a swing state, but it is interesting he did hold a rally.
Speaker 2: There was it a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I want to say it was just before the assassination attempt in New York and had a pretty great turnout for a state that is as blue as it is. Obviously, Kamala Harris is favored to carry New York handily when it comes to November, but there are several house districts in the state of New York that are still in play and could determine which party takes control of the house coming up in November, So that maybe at least one of the reasons why former President Trump is concentrating on New York.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump Junior's apparent new squeeze that socialite Bettina Anderson can be seen in new video schmoozing with Donald Trump Junior and his ex wife and their daughter with no sign of fiance, Kimberly Gilfoyle. She was spotted locking lips with Donald Trump Junior last month. She's now been pictured rubbing elbows with other members of the Trump clan at an intimate party in Jupiter, Florida last month.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, what are we going to do now what if that? What if that love story doesn't finish correctly? What if there's no happy, happily ever after between Don and Kimberly?
Speaker 2: Careful?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 2: What a little close to the edge? Me? Yeah? What are you talking about? Did you hear yourself? No? Okay? Good? Never mind? Then did I say bad word? No? I'll tell you later, Okay.
Speaker 1: It said to be an open secret, this dalliance, an open secret in Palm Beach that they've frequently been spotted enjoying each other's company.
Speaker 2: I know what I said. I got it, Okay, I got Justin Warsham has joined us.
Speaker 3: We talked to Justin about things parenting because he is so neck deep in this right now.
Speaker 5: Oh it's my whole life. It's my Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Me smile.
Speaker 4: Oh good, you're happy that I have teenagers. I'll be honest. I'll be honest. I've spent probably what last probably two or three months. I feel like I've been in a slump, especially with my younger son, who just turned thirteen in June, and a lot of that is like everything is so magical right now. Not to ruin this moment for you, Gary, because I know it's coming.
Speaker 5: Back around to come me wrong.
Speaker 4: But the older kid doesn't have a girlfriend. They split up over the over the summer break.
Speaker 2: I'm half said to hear.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, it's I mean, I think, honestly, I think that my son went through I don't know if you experienced this, Gary or Shannon. You experienced it with maybe another guy or yourself in a relationship when you were younger. But it's like he was the very giving person and she needed more. This is not a slam on this young lady. I I think she's a fantastic young woman. I just I experienced this as a boyfriend in high school, where you would have these girls that they just they needed and needed. And I was also a good junk at the time, the needy one in.
Speaker 5: Relationship than for the.
Speaker 4: But that's really what it was, and it just wasn't working. And he did it very maturely, like took he met her at a coffee shop and like they had a conversation and he like at some point she even said like, do you think we could get back together later on? And shell no, he said, he goes, well, honestly, I think it's too early to make any kind of promise.
Speaker 5: One way or the other. He goes, but I would like for us to stay friends, and she.
Speaker 2: Just needed more of his attention and time.
Speaker 4: I think it was that he before this, months before this, he had had this conversation when we had a family dinner and he said he was just annoyed with something that he had gotten text and he said, you know, you know how he goes, You know how you have like a conversation and you feel like you've resolved the issue, right, And I go yeah, and he goes, well, then it like three weeks and it's like it's the same issue, and I'm like, we already resolved that. And my wife goes, oh, that goes away with age, and I kind of looked at does not.
Speaker 2: That's a woman. That's what women do. We do this routine.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but.
Speaker 2: I know my limitations. We oh boy, uh.
Speaker 3: Well, this is this is a very interesting story, this idea of co sleeping with your kids.
Speaker 4: Every once in a while I come across stories and this is a doubleheader today that I think just urry sweat a little of either anger or disappointment or all of them.
Speaker 5: Like at the same time.
Speaker 4: This makes me as happy as you are to be happy that I have teenagers when I bring these kinds of stories. Yes, sleeping with your kids, every kid is different and every kid needs different things as they're growing up. And I completely understand that I can count on one hand. I have two children, adult children. Now I can count on.
Speaker 3: One hand the number of times that they slept with us m hm h after the age of six months.
Speaker 2: Yep, one one hand.
Speaker 5: It just was not a thing.
Speaker 4: And by with would you even describe the bascinette that sits in the bedroom with you for like the first six months, because the American Academy of Pediatrics says that it should be the first six months you should keep an infant because it drastically reduces the chances of SIDS, which is interesting because they also say that there is no data to support that statement. They have no way of proving and equivocally that somehow you being in the same room limits the CIDs. That's the whole idea of it. It happened suddenly, Well, I was awful.
Speaker 1: My parents had to put a lock on their door because I was such a bad sleeper, and I you know, I was like six seven eight running down the hall with like a bad dream or something. And I would just remember one night and the door was locked and I was like pounded on the door like and they just like it was just like cold turkey. It was like, nope, we're not doing this anymore. Just bigre it out. If you can go self soothe, figure it out. You had a bad dream, what have you, Just deal with it and then and then it went away. But it was I remember that.
Speaker 4: In my house, if the door was locked, you did not want to go in there. That was something was happening, something was going down. Tommy and Daddy were moving furniture. Good for them, Good for them. I mean, there are I have. I have just beautiful memories.
Speaker 3: I I remember the times when I would I would go to bed, for example, infant child sleeping on my chest.
Speaker 5: That was grand.
Speaker 3: And I'd wake up and I'd have the saying for my ribs caving in on themselves. But I was I just remember that it was such a guttural, you know, basic so much oxytocin.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but after that six months, that thing goes in the in the bassinet or the crib or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's where it stays.
Speaker 5: The thing you said, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I had on the podcast A Bunch doctor Craig Cannaperry. He's the head of the Yale Sleep Center, and he's like, his whole life is studying sleep and he actually said, based on his research there, this is actual research that infants and adults are better off sleeping in entirely separate rooms, that both parties actually sleep better if they're not even in the same room. He's also very adamant that you do not sleep in the same bed. Obviously. The only reason I think that it was such a big deal for my wife and I is that my mom was a respiratory therapist, and her only advice, her only parental advice, she said, please, no matter how tired you get, no matter how much you think it helps, do not let the baby sleep with you in bed, because she had so many babies come in that had some parents had rolled over and suffocated them and then they were trying to save the baby. She goes, it's not worth it. And when you read through this article that I found, it's a lot of like.
Speaker 5: It's just easier, it's just better.
Speaker 4: And it really speaks to this kind of new modern movement of parenting of trying to take the path of least resistance regardless of what's better for the kid. We seem to be getting away from this idea that a big part of parenting is to prepare them to be on their own and to learn to deal with some difficulty and some strife. I think some other interesting facts that doctor Canna Perry brought up. He's a huge advocate on shifting back the high school start time to like nine or ten o'clock in the morning, because he says, according to the biology of it, that a teenager should not go to bed until probably between eleven PM and midnight because of just the way that their body works, and they should not be getting up at five AM. I know you're making a face, Gary, Maybe this is another example of what it should be a.
Speaker 3: Culturally imposed thing. I mean, when the sun goes down, yep, slow down.
Speaker 4: I think where all the parents would agree with doctor Craig Ketaperry. He thinks that daylight saving time should go away. All it does is ruin parents and children twice a year.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous. We're not harvesting our feel I like the guy and the BJS. I like it for the novelty of it, but I could care less. Other than that, I don't couldn't care less. No, I could care but basis in point Yes. One of my buddies with the teams is what are you gonna do tonight? And I was like, I'm staying in. I want to watch the Golden Bachelorette. And the look he gave me was like what was he expecting an invite or something like? No, he was just like have fun with that? Like what who says that? Like who answers the question? I want to watch the Golden Bachelorette.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just radio people in general, but I feel like it's You would be hard pressed to find any kind of radio show or personality that isn't into that show. It seems I heard SmartLess Howard Stern was on and he gets advanced.
Speaker 5: Copies of the episode.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, he gets some of the week before they come out. Like that's what he does because he loves it so much.
Speaker 2: Oh that must be nice, boy, can dream?
Speaker 5: Didn't you just pretend to remind yourself to record it?
Speaker 3: I actually had a fun I remember last year at this time, we were having a fun time going through the Golden Bachelor, just because it seemed it was so different from the you know the rest of that franchise. Is that I'll be interested because I like the Is there as.
Speaker 4: Much hooking up in the golden era of Bachelor and Bachelorette?
Speaker 2: Not as much?
Speaker 3: In a fact, I guess according to Shannon, the main contest and the Bachelorette has decided there will be no fantasy suite or there there will be no sky. So what's the what's the second game in our double header that you brought.
Speaker 4: This one is should you be tracking your teenager? That there's this big and so they literally did, in my opinion a bipartisan look, which is so funny to me about the benefits and downsides of tracking your teenager. And the downsides are is that if you do by tracking them, that you you're implying that you don't trust them, and and that can there can be impacts on the relationship. And all I keep thinking is like, who cares like if they don't trust if they know if they think you don't trust them, I don't trust them, Like nobody trusted themselves when they were teenagers. Why are we suddenly like it's just so weird. Today, We're supposed to let our kids have sex in our house and pretend like it's not happening. That is the prevailing parenting. I don't know the priority. What is the thing I'm thinking, like value in today's southern colg like the parents that I know of the freedom, Well, it's safer for them to have sex in the house than it is for them in a car somewhere.
Speaker 5: Like they're gonna do it no matter what.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 5: I don't understand that either.
Speaker 4: Shit, And I'm like, what do you mean, Like does the condoms stay on longer? I don't like, I don't understand, Like, who's who's accosting them?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you have the benefit of something I didn't have, which is the idea of tracking your kids is kind of baked in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's in the device.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago, when my kids got their phones and this was an option, you had to go to a vet and have them chipped. It was a whole process. Well, I did knock them out in the middle of the night. It was a part of the negotiation of the Yeah, okay, well, if I'm paying for it, at least I know exactly where that phone is. Also knowing that they're too dumb to put it down somewhere. And I'm sure that there are probably instances where I could say I knew where my kids were that they should not have been right, But I didn't break I mean, unless it was an issue, it was not something that I was going to I wasn't going to breach that trust.
Speaker 2: I guess if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: As of twenty twenty three, fifty percent of US families track the location of their teenager, and it's been on the consistent rise, probably due to technology. The thing that I think is maybe a violation of trust, but I've decided I don't care, and I'm a pretty like. I think maybe I'm being hypocritical or i'm a pretty like. I'll let you live your life to a certain extent, but I, like you said, if I'm paying for it and everything, there has to be a little bit of discomfort in the household because I don't want my children living with me until they're thirty five, no offense. If anybody does want that, or if it's a cultural thing. I'm just saying I don't personally, I don't see the benefit. Kids should be out of the house sometime between like eighteen and twenty two or by the time they graduate college, so they can start screwing up their life on their own and start picking up the pieces so that by the time they're in their thirties, they can have most of it, if not all of it kind of figured out.
Speaker 3: Smash cut to Shannon's parents locking her door, locking their doors, so she had to learn to self sue.
Speaker 5: That's called premature, Like that's learning, is there?
Speaker 2: Why rexted me?
Speaker 5: Oh? Which one? Who are you?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 5: Both We both got the exact same reaction and they went wait, I thought, I was like, does she have my wife's ce phone?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do. Yeah, this is Shannon.
Speaker 1: Your parents' door was locked because they were having sex. You were a and then I can't say the word that she wrote, and she wrote you're welcome, and I wrote back, they had sex.
Speaker 5: You Oh okay.
Speaker 3: I was trying to figure out my parents did not, And I remember approaching my parents' door and having the lock.
Speaker 5: Oh I did.
Speaker 4: It was Saturday morning, after I'd finished from the paper out and it was like time for break. When I was younger, i'd come back and I would go to just turn the door knob and the first time I did. I grabbed it and and I went, what the And then I kind of was like, and I listened to the door. Huge mistake, Tell me, I was.
Speaker 5: I was. I was like ten years old, Hoffman. I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I knew like something was wrong and you were gonna go save the day or something.
Speaker 4: It was just out of the ordinary, and your your lizard brain tells you to do a stupid thing sometime.
Speaker 2: I should have been there, Shannon Sharp behind that door.
Speaker 5: Wait, what how did you know my dad's thing? Oh my god, he loved to do pillow talk with a lisp. That was the thing.
Speaker 2: I am uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: You should be. I really hope that was a drop, because that was brilliantly played. Jacob. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Justin Yeah, track your kids, I guess guys, track your kids and read their text me.
Speaker 3: And again it's easy because it's baked in. Don't don't be a d about it. Don't you don't have it's more and.
Speaker 2: This is not the Uh.
Speaker 5: This may be.
Speaker 3: Contrary to what I have said before about you know, being in your kids' lives, but it's.
Speaker 5: Better to I think what you're trying to articulate.
Speaker 4: Yes, like it gives you a leash, you know what I mean, an invisible leash that you can look and go, Okay, I know what's happening. So I'm I'm parenting, right, I'm but I'm not the complete helicopter. I'm a helicopter with a cloaking device essentially, right, Like, I just check in and then I go, yeah, okay, you're there.
Speaker 3: That if necessary, you can plug on that leash and say, hey, where are you right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could decloak and then drop in a specialist for an Xville.
Speaker 3: Real quick, pull them out to camp and Utah somewhere something like that.
Speaker 5: All Right, you guys are the best. Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on in KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app