Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to mister Sleepyhead, the host of Home on KFI. Our house whispered Dean Sharp morning.
Speaker 2: Dean, good morning.
Speaker 1: So glad we could connect with you because we got to talk makeovers. I always love a good makeover, but we're going to take it beyond our faces and go all the way to our houses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, uncertain times, that's kind of where we're at right now, and a lot of people not knowing where to go with their money. And there's been a change in the wind. People are wondering, is this the year to do my remodel? Our price is going to soar, our tariffs going to affect the prices of materials, And I'm getting that question a lot. And the simple, simple answer is don't know. And so as a result, we're helping folks spend their time and attention for those who want to move forward with certainty on the makeover. And the difference between a makeover and a renovation and a remodel is some money money really, I mean, when you think remodel, what we're really literally talking about is moving around bones on the house, and there's a lot of money in the pad. A renovation is taking what's there and giving it a refresh. But a makeover is the most potent and yet least expensive approach to your house. And that is, you know, changing colors, changing materials, and without having to move around major elements. And something that a lot of people look over at times is how powerful a makeover can be in changing the vibe of the house and if you know how to approach it, it can really have a big impact. So that's what we're spending the weekend, focusing on the makeover, the magic.
Speaker 1: Makeover, the magic of makeovers. And you're going to be covering everything from bathrooms to bedrooms, to living rooms to kitchens and even whole house projects and looking through some and the exterior too, looking through your list and I'm like, oh, I've done that. Oh my mom did that to her house. So like in the bathroom, there are some things you can do that don't cost a ton of money, but are really going to update the look. Like instead of having that whole mirror that covers the wall, bring that up to date.
Speaker 2: How do you do that exactly? So you know, you might have a nineteen seventies or nineteen sixties circa large frameless mirror, that's sort of plastered across the wall above the vanity in the bathroom. And you know, which is fine and if you love it great. A lot of people are like, I don't know about this thing, but what do I do instead? Well, that mirror can be removed, and mirrors from a glass shop not that expensive. Also, sometimes you can remove the mirror and preserve it and have it cut into a smaller mirror and then a frame placed around it, replace it in place, so that now we've got a full sized mirror framed that has this modern, contemporary look to it as if you've just hung a framed mirror on the wall.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love I love that. A lot of these projects that you have, I'm like, oh, my mom has done that to her house, so when I go home, I always am watching for stuff that she's done. Here's one we're moving over to the living room that I actually did. That a fireplace, I think is one of the most fabulous things you can have in your house. But sometimes they are really dated and ugly. But you can update it and what I did, and you can tell me whether this was a good decision or not. Was I painted my fireplace and I retiled the hearth myself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a fantastic idea. Fireplaces are a funny thing. I mean they were designed to be the centerpieces of rooms. A lot of people find them in the way, and a lot of folks, I would say, I think the current number is like eight out of ten homeowners don't really use their fireplace. And yet it's there. And the point is if you're not going to get rid of it, which of course is expensive, then igne the fact that it is something to look at, that it's a showpiece, that it's a viewpiece, and yes, tile over the hearth. Paint the firebox. And when people say paint. When I say that, people are like, what do you mean? Paint the firebox? You know you may have dated, stained, sooty ugly firebrick inside the firebox. Go down ten dollars worth of high heat barbecue paint at the hardware store will allow you to paint out the entire firebox so that it's black dark, doesn't show any soot stains anymore. And yet if you decide to have a fire in there, it can handle that heat no problem. And it's like a jeweler's cloth behind a jewel and even if you don't use the fireplace, find something to put in there, a bouquet of flowers, a pile of fire wood. I mean, the list can go on and on and on. But use the fireplace for what it should actually be, which is a visual showcase of something most of the time when we're not actually using the flames.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can tell you from my personal experience, it made a world of distance. I did do the firebox, plus I did the front, the facade or whatever you call it, and the hearth, and it was just like the whole room like was lit up and it looked so much better.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was just and it was a quick fix. It wasn't easy. It took a weekend and it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the point of the makeover. A little elbow grease, just a tiny bit of money invested and a big change.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then one last one before I let you go in the kitchen. I love this idea. And that's just putting some lighting under the kitchen cabinets.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, and I think everybody understands that. It's just that that most people are waiting like, oh, I'll do that when I replaced my kitchen cabinets because that's an expense and it's probably really expensive, and I don't want to mess with that with my existing cabinets. But the fact of the matter is LED lighting. We're in the golden age of LED strip lighting. And if you just take a peek online, you'll realize that strip lighting comes in rolls and self adhesive roles. It is so inexpensive and it looks so good. I'd yet to have somebody say to me anything other than oh my gosh. If I realized that it was as inexpensive as it is, I would have done this years ago. And so take a look windows. Shopping is free. Do your research. You'll find that some of these moves you can make right now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I love it and your whole show this weekend. Your shows this weekend are going to be focused on this. And those were just a couple of the really easy quick fixes. There's so many more good ideas, so be listening this weekend six to eight on Saturday, nine to noon on Sunday. The show is called Home on KFI. Thank you so much to our house whisper Dean Sharp can't wait to hear more tips