Speaker 1: Oh yes, the benetts Kin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. This segment right herb brought to you by Hurtado Barbecue. Some of the best barbecue could ever have in your whole life life. Let's see if I can get this right today. Locations in uh oh Mansfield, Fort Worth, Arlington. Yeah, two locations in globally Field and one more location the Dallas Farmer's Market. And that's what's got me discombobulated. It's so exciting to have her Tatle Barbecue in Dallas now, and that Farmer's Market is just great for hanging out, great people watching, great place to be and the right smack dab in the heart of the Farmer's Market. There in Dallas, there's now a Hurtado Barbecue and it is exquisite. Some of the best barbecue you could ever hope to have in your life. These are all family recipes passed down through the Hurtado family, Brandon Hurtato's mom's recipes and whatnot, and it is just awesome. So stop by hur Title Barbecue having the best barbecue you've ever had.
Speaker 2: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: It's good listeners, Here comes kt Fun tweets with the round.
Speaker 1: Now let's come around the sports kt fun tweets as.
Speaker 4: All the sports yees.
Speaker 3: So, after the super Bowl happens in early February, the NFL goes quiet for a little bit.
Speaker 4: But this is going to be a big seven days.
Speaker 3: Okay, The Combine happened last week, a lot of rumors, media fights, things like that, And the free agency is next week like next Mondays, and the free agency tampering period starts and where the Cowboys usually sit there with their hands and their laps and watch everyone else do stuff.
Speaker 2: What a great tradition.
Speaker 3: The big news from the Combine this week is one of your division rivals, The Washington Commandos traded a fifth round pick to the forty nine Ers for Deebo Samuel Divo's could play.
Speaker 1: Right, this good good player, game changing, elite offensive player went healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like the Anthony Davis football like here's ky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a guy you game playing around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you know the Commanders will enjoy his eleven games this year like I I but twenty one million dollars for a fifth Roundred's this is the Amari Cooper trade, is what this is. But the immediate reaction, and my immediate thought was, wait, didn't we trade a fourth for Mingo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jonathan Mingo, fourth round pick for him? When in it's since you know, would be the twelfth pick of the fourth round, a good fourth round pick, A guy that got here and did nothing like was barely involved at all. And I'm like, wait, now, going into this draft, you know a second wide receiver is one of the top needs for the team, and you just used a fourth round pick on a guy you didn't even play. And I saw this online earlier today on social media and it was the Great Bobby Belt at the Fan and somebody had sent us a clip of him saying that he thought the Mingo situation was created tension between Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy, where Jerry's like, I used a fourth round pick, play this guy, you know, don't make us look bad by not playing him, and McCarthy either didn't like being told what to do or he didn't think he could play. We don't really know, but Mingo was barely involved, and so yes, on the surface, I see this and I think Jonathan Mingo, who the hell is that he sucks?
Speaker 4: And then I hear Deebo Samuel.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yes, game changing, elite player, even worse pick and you got him.
Speaker 4: Why couldn't we have done that?
Speaker 2: Isn't there a great irony too? That wasn't there a lot of I don't know, consternation from McCarthy about the fourth round pick for Trey Lance, Like, wouldn't he like no one consulted me on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, well the story was that Jerry did that on his own, right, Yeah, and then Jerry was kind of the story here is that Jerry did this on his own.
Speaker 2: I want to see Lamba mingo, now get out there.
Speaker 4: Macarthy is interesting. I don't know. Uh, Mike was probably fed up. I also think.
Speaker 3: Mike thought he was gonna get another good NFL job. Otherwise, I don't think he walks away from that. I don't think there's any way that he walks away from this. I'm wondering if his agent give him some bad advice or whatever happened.
Speaker 2: That whole thing. That whole thing though, it's like you look at it and you go, okay, he wouldn't accept a three year extension. He would only accept four. Dude, it ain't a three year extension. It's an eight year tenure. You were already here for five.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't get the logic in that that's just like walking away for money, But I get it. He thought he was gonna go to Chicago or New Orleans or whatever. Didn't he take his name out of the New Orleans running He did?
Speaker 3: And everyone did besides Kellen. Yeah, I mean Cliff Kingsbury did because it's bad. It's bad place. They have no salary cap room because Sean Payton, you know, destroyed their cap And Aaron Glenn, who got the Jets job, was like, if you fire the GM, I'll take the job.
Speaker 4: Like Kellen's like, oh yeah, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: Kellen hired former Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Lenahan today just to a consultant on the offensive side of the ball, go, oh.
Speaker 4: It's word.
Speaker 3: It's a deadline for the franchise tag is tomorrow. Where what this means is you can't agree to a contract, so you put this stamp on a player and then you pay them money. Oh so Dicky zoo Waz this year's candidate. The Cowboys have been negotiating with him, trying to get a three or four year contract done, and he's probably like the twelfth to fifteenth best defensive tackle in football, which sounds weird, but he is, and that's what he would be paid at if you know what the Cowboys are trying to get him at, and if his team and it's like, well, they want to haggle, then they can do that and it might be a smart thing to do because the Cowboys haven't till tomorrow to put a franchise tag on him, which they are going to do. If they don't get a deal done tonight, then you can still sign a deal. After you franchise tag someone, you have time to do the deal.
Speaker 2: Why don't they do the transition tag because they think someone's going to give him big money and they're stuck with that deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically yeah, and this would be twenty five million dollars for one year.
Speaker 2: How bad are the rest of their tackles and linebackers if they have a top fifteen guy and still can't get any pressure up the middle or stop the run?
Speaker 3: You know, I answer your question with the question, outside of Mazzie Smith, can you name the other defensive tackles? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the problem, right, that pick, that missing that first round pick on Mazzi.
Speaker 2: That hurts so bad.
Speaker 1: That hurts so bad to miss on an early, early pick like that and to have that guy be a bust. And now because you missed on that pick and you just don't have depth there, and because the emphasis now is the three technique right that, that badass tackle is going to be massively important. You've got a top twelve, top fifteen one. You have to overpay to keep him. You have no choice. Where else can you go get that if you don't overpay for him right now?
Speaker 4: You can't. You can you can build.
Speaker 3: You can build it up with you know, minimum guys in free agency.
Speaker 2: But this is the draft good at that that position.
Speaker 3: The draft is very good at that position. So you know you could do something, You could do something there. I think they got other needs. I think if you could go into it with Mazi and O says your defensive tackle and then work on a deal with Micah, then I think you're fine, Like you're okay there and you're gonna want to get someone else. We need to find out Tank Lawrence is going to retire if he's gonna go somewhere else, he's a free agent.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get a homeboy back. Who's the other dude that we lost early?
Speaker 4: Sam Williams. Yes, you're going to need him to play.
Speaker 2: He's gonna replace Tank, right.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think they would love to have Tank back, but I don't know how much he would cost either.
Speaker 4: I cannot see him.
Speaker 2: You know, I could see him taking less to stay here.
Speaker 4: Oh cool, gotta be great, just because I know.
Speaker 2: He loves it here and he's been here for so long now. I feel like I could also just see him retiring. You know, he's had a lot of injuries.
Speaker 3: I think offensive line is really good right there at that twelve area. I think that's a really good spot if you're gonna try to have replace Zach just like that, I think. God.
Speaker 1: I hope they trade back. I hope they get additional picks because that's what they need. And again, where you started this conversation, trading a fourth for Mingo skin brought up Trey Lance. Trade a fourth for Trey Lance? You can't when you don't use free agency and you're not great at drafting. They have been pretty good, they've been pretty bad of late though. You just need more picks. It's a numbers game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, empty assets equals full ass kicked.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I like that, and that's something that I've been making T shirts of. So that's just a new slogan I've been in marketing.
Speaker 2: You should go sell those. At the Sloan Conference.
Speaker 3: I had not seen this the Cowboys at the Come I met with a ton of running backs and there are a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, the running backs are good, all right.
Speaker 3: I hadn't seen anyone say this, but John Mishoda did right that. This is just John from the Athletic that Ashton Gent the big best running back in the draft from Boise State. He said, is it's sounding more likely they will go in a different direction. This is considered a strong running backs class, targeting one in the second or third round.
Speaker 4: It seems like better bet than Gent at twelve.
Speaker 2: Good good. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 1: Like i'd I'd be excited to get him because he's such a dynamic player.
Speaker 4: But it's and it's sexy.
Speaker 2: Probably not the smartest.
Speaker 1: Thing to do.
Speaker 2: I think, like you know, Ben wants to trade back, but obviously there's got to be a reason for teams to trade up. Do you think he's that kind of guy? Do you think, like in other words, dynamic running backs matter. The running back in general has been diminished, and I get that, but a dynamic running back matters. Beijon matters, obviously, Saquon matters.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, he says you're right and.
Speaker 2: So, but I'm trying to think of a reason. Like someone sitting there at nineteen is like, man, that guy would make you there's the other guy. Yes, he's the guy right outside of a quarterback that you trade up that.
Speaker 3: Maybe you trade up for. I think this is one that would just we slip by all the time. If you were to go play a game right now. Jordan Lewis is a free agent. Treylon digs out till what October? No, man, Okay, do you have one cornerback on your team right now? Ron Bland, maybe Kylin Carson who you you know they liked a lot last year and he proved that he was a rookie not ready for the you know, to play a lot.
Speaker 4: Did they need a cornerback?
Speaker 2: Keep Jordan, they need a wide receiver, keep Jordan Lewis. I feel like mingo will be fine.
Speaker 4: Jordan Lewis might be like, I need ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: Then you're like, okay, Mingo showed us he can do a good job looking slow when he's out there.
Speaker 4: It's tough. They got a lot of stuff they gotta they gotta do.
Speaker 2: I want him to put on seventy five pounds and become a tight end.
Speaker 1: They are happy with their tight end class. All right, let's go. Really, here's their starting tight end, Ferky. I thought they had to sign him and he now. Ferky's back. Okay, yeah, Ferky and Scooney, you're good.
Speaker 2: Ferky's the one who peed himself on stage right, yes, at the black eyed piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, there you have it. There's a Round the Sports coming up next. The only segment of the day that shout to be podcasted. You must listen live. It's the Today Game.