Speaker 1: The right fart.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 3: Scam is back.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app Go with Broaway Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kats. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kats and Steve Sachs.
Speaker 3: It's Game Dame Winner go home Game five of the NLDS tonight right here on AM five to seventy LAS Sports. Dodgers Padres Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound for the Dodgers. He's been announced as the starting pitcher. You darvish, We'll go for the Padres and this must win game winner advances to the NLCS to take on the New York Mets beginning on Sunday. He is Steve Sax I'm Tim Kate, thanks for being with this hour two here on Saxon Kates and the am. David Vesse is gonna join us here in just a couple of minutes thanks to Ryan Dempster from Intentional Talk on the MLB Network joined this last hour breaking down this pitching matchup and looking ahead to game five tonight. I had a cup of coffee during the break, Saxy, starting to feel a little bit better, but still the stomach still hurts, still turning a little bit. As I'm anxious about this game five tonight. I think the things that's got me the most anxious, Saxon is Yamamoto.
Speaker 4: On the mound. Yeah. Unknown.
Speaker 3: I just tell you're thinking that it is the unknown of what we're gonna get from him, But you never The thing about that is you never know.
Speaker 4: You don't really know. Hey, there's there's a reason they gave him all that de Naro. Okay, the guy qualified, there's no question about it. Now it's time to find out in the biggest game of his life. Can he come through you Darvish. We know he's qualified, he's been there, but you know he's had some mix ups too. When the game's been on the line. So you know what, nothing's for sure, and I know you're a little bit You got a little bit of trepidation in your voice when I heard you this morning, and then you know what, just chill out. The Dodgers aren't gonna let him go a long way anyway if he does start to, you know, get into some trouble. So I think either way it's good. My question is, well, I can't tell you my keys to the game. That's gonna say that for later.
Speaker 3: I think I still have scar tissue from twenty seventeen in that I remember Game seven and I was so excited about you Darvish on the mound Game seven against the Houston Astros, being at home, the crowd, the excitement. Maybe I got ahead of myself thinking about a parade, and then the first inning happened, and then the disaster that was Game seven at home against the Houston Astros happened in front of our eyes, and I think I got a little bit of scar tissue still built up from that just going into this decisive Game five tonight with Yamamoto on the mound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you might you might need to do some of that, you know what, that scar removal stuff scraping, right, yeah, scraping. You know, sometimes they have that what do they call it, cupping? Yeah, yeah, cupping can get maybe rid of that, maybe some uh, some electronic probes or whatever. It may be. Stem treatment huh, stem treatment might do it. Yeah, yeah, they call it stem machine, you know, the stems.
Speaker 3: Mike might do that. So anyway, I feel good about it. I feel completely the opposite. I think I think this is an oh no, this is an opportunity. This is a chance for the Dodgers to really set a new course with this team that over the last twelve years has been kind of good and not so much all the way in postseason. But this is a new way to start the new venture for the Dodgers in this postseason.
Speaker 4: I'm feeling great about it, better than the usual.
Speaker 3: Well, a guy who's not good but great in what he does is our own Damon vas say, our Dodger insider. He's in with the team for over a decade. He knows everything before it happens. He is the guy to go to as far as Dodger information is concerned. He was at the Dodger workouts yesterday out at the stadium, Padres and Dodgers both went through workouts. There was media availability as well, with both managers and players and David vast noa joints this year on Saxon Kate's and Am David. Last night, after the media availability, we find out that Yoshinobu Yamamoto will in fact be the Game five starter tonight. Your take on that, surprised? Is that what you expect to?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 5: I am a little bit surprised, but then looking at a little deeper of what Yamamoto has done this year. If you look back at the Dodgers using Ryan Brazier as an opener, he was really good against right handers and last year pretty good against lefties. So he's a kind of a neutral type of opener. The Dodgers are not looking for more than three or four innings at the most from Yamamoto tonight, is my understanding. We all know how good their bullpen has been against the Padres. To duplicate nine perfect innings the way they did in Game four, even the Dodgers realize that's highly unlikely to duplicate. So Yamamoto has been good against the left east He's held them to a five to twenty six ops. He has struck out thirty percent of the left handed batters he's faced. That's in the top ten as well. So I am a little surprised. But the Dodgers are not expecting or wanting more than at least three or four innings from Yamamoto before they start to go to their bullpen to match up against the Padres.
Speaker 4: Okay, hey David, good morning buddy, and listen, I get it. I know what you're saying. But my question is, let's say Yamamoto is just shoving and he's just got to go on. He's got their number. You're coming up with a third time around, you're the fifth inning. Do you let them dip into that? Or do you say Nope, that's it. You've done a great job, but you're out.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: Three time around?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say no, Steve. Considering that the Padres have scored thirteen runs against Yamamoto this season, the Dodgers are not ignoring that. But there's was some speculation, and even Dave Roberts said this in his postgame press conference that they were going to look to see whether or not Yama Moto was tipping. I would imagine with the Dodgers making this announcement yesterday, they dove deep into the video to see if the Padres had his pitches, because this wasn't just a NLDS tipping situation. If you go back to South Korea, they lit them up. They seem to know what was coming. They had very comfortable at bats. So maybe the one or two of these Padres players saw something that he was tipping and spread the news to the rest of the team. My guess is the Dodgers corrected whatever they thought the Padres had in that department, and that's another layer to why they're deciding to go with Yamamoto tonight.
Speaker 3: David, we talked to you before Game four and you talked about the team's morale and the attitude around this team. The day before at the workouts was really good. You liked what you were seeing and hearing, and even the day of you alluded the same thing. What was the vibe yesterday at the workout of Dodger Stadium? Do you get that same feeling that this team is loose and feeling good before Game five tonight?
Speaker 6: Yeah, without a doubt.
Speaker 5: I think their confidence is at an all time high point in this series after what they accomplished in Game four in San Diego to force the Game five. I really believe they proved something not to you or Steve or the fans that are going to be at Dodger Stadium tonight, they proved something to themselves that all the talk, all that time together leading up to this series, you know, it wasn't just going through the motions. They actually held each other accountable to not give up on the series. And frankly, the last two seasons we have not seen that kind of resolve from this team. So that's the reason why their confidence is high. And if you're talking about one guy in particular, Mookie Betts, his confidence is back after the way he performed in each of the last two games. So I would imagine Mookie Betts is going to have a big impact on this game tonight.
Speaker 4: And that's dangerous when we can say that with some confidence. I agree with you, David. And the other thing is too, the structure of the lineup tonight. I'm assuming no Rojas. I don't know about center field, we don't know about Freddie. Unless you can tell us something, you are the insider, and I'll tell you what. Having that little mix up and a little change of pace that was great for the Dodgers through a whole another perspective that the Padres had to deal with and they couldn't do it. Tommy Edmund was big in that game.
Speaker 5: He was, And I'm sure you love the safety squeeze, Steve.
Speaker 7: He laid that, Yeah, I bet you did.
Speaker 5: Yes, Freddy's going to start tonight unless something changes right before first pitch where the ankle is not responding. But right now, the Dodgers and Freddie have all the intentions of him starting tonight. And come on, Freddie Freeman, a guy that prides himself on being out there. There's no way he's going to miss a Game five, so he'll be out there.
Speaker 7: Miguel Rojas more of a question mark.
Speaker 5: And frankly, I don't believe Miguel Rojas should start. It should be Tommy Edmund at shortstop. It should be Keiky Hernandez in center field. This is why you signed key K a Hernandez for games like tonight, For games like Game four. He sparked the Dodgers bottom of the order in Game four. There is no question key K a Hernandez should be starting over Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 3: Tonight David, we know the Padres are an emotional team. They wear it on their sleeve, good or bad tonight for this game five? You know these guys very well. Will fans see an emotional team, a professional team in that dugout when they score? Will it be an eruption? Will we see a little bit more flamboyant Dodger dugout tonight or is this gonna be status quo for this game five?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 5: I believe you've seen the emotion you know from the Dodgers when they score or do something good. They're not directing it towards the Padres dugout, but they're directing it to each other's dugout. So I feel like you the Dodgers have shown emotion. They're not gonna show emotion when they strike out, that's not what they do. But when things went well, they did show emotion. And you even saw the video that went viral, Otani even screaming at the third base umpire for being in the way of the ball getting further behind Machado. So I feel like Otani has lifted this team spirits in more ways than one. And there is the language barrier, but the game of baseball is a universal language, and when they're between the lines on the field, it feels like the Dodgers have looked to Otani to not only lead them with his incredible offensive prowess, but also emotionally. They've looked to Otani to lead them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, David, I look at that last game and I see so many obstacles that the Dodgers had to overcome, starting with the personnel is, starting with the great plays that the padres are making. How about the umpire deflecting the ball and keeping it in play, and then you know Machado making a bad throw, Higashioka being able to pick it with the catcher's glove and still making the tag. I thought, what is this stuff gonna end? And the worm's gonna turn? I think the Dodgers have overcome so much right now, and I see a surge coming the other way.
Speaker 5: Well, you sound like Tommy la Sorda right there, Steve.
Speaker 4: Well, let me tell you what, David is sixty six times it's just happened in the past, It's shot to happen tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what Game five in your home ballpark. I really do encourage the Dodger fans to let the teams decide this between the lines. But as I told Petro some money yesterday, Steve, you remember this in Pittsburgh during a Wildcard Series game, Johnny Quato on the mound. The Pittsburgh fans really rattled him. I would encourage Dodger fans to do the same thing to you, Darvish. Just chant his last name and see if you can rattle him the way he was rattled in Game seven of the World Series back in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: Oh the words out, it's gonna happen tonight. Watch there'll be fifty six thousand, doarbish. It's down there, we go, Saxy, it's gonna have we get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we gotta get dieta rule behind that, David. So if you see him out there, put it in his ear, get that organ going, get it started. Helen del with it. I know that absolutely, David. We appreciate you jumping on this morning. It's gonna be a long, but hopefully great day for the Dodgers. We appreciate it, and we'll see you later on today.
Speaker 4: Thanks David.
Speaker 5: Nope, no problem, And Saxy, maybe we should send over some Italian sub sandwiches to the Umpire's room like Tommy used to do tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Nice, nice little preemptive before the game.
Speaker 7: Thanks guys, Thanks David.
Speaker 3: There he goes our Dodger Insider, the best of the best. David Vez say, eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. We'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls the rest of the way. How you feeling going into game five of this n LDS Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound. I'll be honest, a little uneasy about him taking the mount in game five tonight. Convince me otherwise you got a parachute, bro, got a parachute. Convince me otherwise. Dodger fans, are you with Steve Sacks You're feeling good? Or are you leaning towards me? A little questionable about it? Get to your phone calls coming up? He is Steve Sacks on, Tim Katson sax and Kate's and am leading you up to Dodgers padres right here in your home of the Dodgers a FI seventy light sports saxon Kates and Am. I got a good feeling we're gonna be hearing this tonight. Batting third, playing first base for the Dodgers. Freddie Freeman, his walk up song did not play in Game four because of the ankle. Fully expect him to go in Game five tonight, five eight, first pitch, Dodgers padres out at the ravine, Your phone calls coming up the rest of the way. Thanks to David vaz Say. Thanks to Ryan Dempster from Intentional Talk on MLB Network joining us Last hour, Great show daily on the MLB Network, and they'll be doing so throughout the postseason. Eleven am this morning an earlier start because of the coverage of the DS's in the American League and the National League. I got a text from a buddy Tom and he wanted me to bring this up to you, Saxy. He says, you Darvish and he approach the Dodgers' hitters. She'd have with him. He's like fifty percent breaking balls nowadays. Do you cheat as a hitter knowing the off speed stuff is probably what you're looking at and just be able to adjust fastball?
Speaker 4: No, no, never, absolutely not. I gotta tell you can't adjust to a faster pitch. You gotta look fastball and adjust to the offs pitch.
Speaker 3: Even he's only throwing ninety two, ninety three, ninety four. He's not upper nineties anymore. You don't doesn't matter. No, Look at Hendricks from the Cubs. He never breaks ninety he breaks bats. He breaks bats. He pitches inside why because people sit on this changeup, which is his best pitch. Then he throws in a two seamer at about eighty seven and he's breaking people's bats.
Speaker 4: So no, you can't. Look. I mean, sometimes you can cheat and look for a certain pitch once in a while, but you can't sit on a slow pitch and change to the fast pitch. It doesn't work that way. You cannot do it. The ball is coming too fast. You have to do it the opposite.
Speaker 3: Eight six, six ninety seven, two five seventy is our number. It's continue on the phone, Saxy Paul and Huntington Beach Paul, Game five tonight. How are you feeling going into this decisive game?
Speaker 1: Well, dude, I'm not going to be very productive at the office today, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I came in early so I could bail out early. You know what I mean. Listen, I was thinking about it, obviously. You know I'm with you. Tim you can't feel super great about young Moto given sort of the data and the stats and all the things. But at the end of the day, to Sax's point, you know, you gave the guy a boatload of money, and let's be honest, he has shown signs, you know, throughout the course of the year of being dominant in stretches. So let's see how it plays out. That dude better have a very very short leash. But you mentioned something, you know, two segments ago that I wanted to sort of build on. Dude, I'm an Orange County guy, right. I've been at the Dodger Stadium a couple hundred times, I'm sure, and a buddy that called to me, you know, the day of Game seven of twenty seventeen World Series and said, hey, man, I got an in. I can get you into the yard. I went up there. It was like the crowning moment of my baseball life. I could not wait to get my butt up to the ravine. I was fired up. Man. I got in there, had to sit by myself because he got me in, and that was fine. And it was like a morgue. Dude, like fifteen minutes into that game and it never got better. You know, all year long the Dodgers had to overcome, they had to exercise demons. It was injuries, it was drama, it was this series. Everything they've overcome. Tonight, they've got to exercise some demons and send Darvish packing and and remember what he was in twenty seventeen, and let's right the ship. Send that guy out of there, and let's pack up a win.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm fired up. I can't wait to get it on. And and by the way, I cannot wait for another NLCS against the Mets and listen to more Steve Sacks and Saxy. I want lots of stories from the eighty eight LCS. All right, boys, have a good one, man, we'll.
Speaker 4: Talk to Paul.
Speaker 3: Paul appreciated. I think that's I think he kind of hit it on the head. And I mentioned it earlier. I've got scar tissue still from twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and let that go, bro, Yeah, let her go. Let it go. It's still built.
Speaker 3: I haven't worked out yet.
Speaker 4: How are you sleeping.
Speaker 3: I'm not sleeping much. I'm gonna be honest with you. And then at the same time, I'm afraid to take something to sleep. You know you don't want to do that either, because I won't wake up and it'll be no scam. It'll just be sacks in the morning.
Speaker 4: Here. Well, hey, I won't wake up. Well, we've got to scam it, that's for sure. Uh yeah, Tim, just you gotta let that go. And you know it's it's gonna be Uh, it's gonna be an awakening. I think for Dodger fans to see just exactly how they're gonna jump on and shove tonight. I got a great feeling about it. I'm not I'm not posturing. I'm not trying to bring in some fake enthusiasm because I don't like that stuff. I don't like the eye wash. But I'm telling you I think I think they've got it. I think they've right where they want to be. They've changed the narrative. They can do it now. Mookie's hot in front of their home fans. It's time for Yoshiobu yamamotive to do some of some of his own shoving and get this thing on track and look forward to to dominating the Mets. Now.
Speaker 3: It won't feel as good, but I think it will make up for a little bit of what you Darvish did in Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series, giving up those runs early, putting them in a hole, and the Astros winning that twenty seventeen World Series championship on the field the Dodgers Stadium. It won't replace it. I'll never forgive necessarily one hundred percent, but I think it would certainly help the wound that I still have. It'll help break up the scars issue a little bit if the Dodgers could get after you, Darvish, and I can watch tonight at some point having to see Shilt come out of the dugout and take the ball from you, Darvish, because the Dodgers are just putting up crooked number after crooked number and have bait guys on the base pass, and the Dodgers have more runs than the Padres, and you, Darvish is being chased in the game. It'll make me feel a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Saxony, Okay, does the scar tissue just blow out or does it slowly kind of fade?
Speaker 3: No, I start to feel better. It's like I take a tile and all of a sudden you feel a little bit better, but you can still feel it. That's all always been that's car tissue is not going anywhere. That's a reminder. Some guy's got the Tommy John surgeries, you know, and you see the scar there, and it's a reminder of what they've been through and the rehab that they have to go through for sixteen to eighteen months. It's something to never forget. And you look at as a reminder. This car tissue I suffered from Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series. It'll never go away, Saxy. It's gonna be a reminder every time I feel this, it's gonna be a reminder of that Game seven, and you darbish, it'll make me feel just a little bit better temporarily.
Speaker 4: Let me let me get out feel a little bit better right now too, because after the Dodgers just thwart the opportunity for the Padres to move on, it'll be the Dodgers moving on, and it'll be reminiscent back in nineteen eighty eight League Championship Series Mets Dodgers, right, I mean, would that be prolific to have Mets Dodgers again?
Speaker 3: I think Paul hit it on the head and I gosh, I don't want to look ahead. I don't know just a little bit.
Speaker 4: He's right.
Speaker 3: If they if they get past the ponder, is going to be next week. We have to have stories. We have to have stories, millions of them of the national champillions of them.
Speaker 4: I've got millions of them, including inside the clubhouse with some funny things that went on inside the clubhouse with some of the pitching staff and whatever. We'll get to that as soon as the Dodgers just roll over these guys.
Speaker 3: That's that that right there, isma weak enough for the Dodgers to win Game five. Tonight.
Speaker 4: I will be documenting this weekend all of the stories and they'll be they'll they'll be enumerated. You can just say, hey, how about number seven, give me number two, whatever, and we'll we'll do it.
Speaker 3: And that was a series. You guys were heavy underdogs, Yes, and we're gonna throw them out. He's gonna be throwed out. Okay, cannot wait. The scar tissue is real, Dodger fans. Do you feel it too? Do you still have it from twenty seventeen? And will you feel better if the Dodgers were able to get after you Darvish tonight? I'll be honest, being at the game tonight, doing the pregame show right up until first pitch when when Yamamoto takes them mount, I'm gonna be like, eh. And then when you Darvish gets on the mountd I'm gonna be like, just get it after him, get after him right now.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And you know what they're they'll set the stage early. You'll be able to tell. And Yamamoto, I think, is gonna be Obviously he's going to be the key, I think more than Darvish because you know, there's a lot more skepticism out there. Darvis has got a lot more you know, history here in the United States, and we don't know about Yamamoto yet. We don't know, you know, what the heartbeat is going to be for him when he gets out there and he's facing this tough lineup, and these Padres are a good lineup, no question about it. But we're gonna find out tonight. It's gonna be epic and five oh eight, be in your seats and be ready to go.
Speaker 3: I'm not smart enough to do the time difference, but I imagine they'll be up whatever time it is. Over in Tokyo and in Japan, watching this game with Darvish Yamamoto, all playing.
Speaker 4: Their their national countrymen going at it. This is phenomenal. This is gonna be great. And I don't even know what time is. I don't even know what day it'll be over there. It's probably a different day, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Maybe they already know the results since like a day ahead and behind. Maybe we can find that right.
Speaker 4: Maybe we're in a time warp and they've already played and we don't even know it yet.
Speaker 3: I love yeah, I would love to know. It would make me feel a lot better. This ulcer would certainly go away. Kenny and Tarzana is next up here on SAX and Kate and am Kenny.
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 8: I'm doing great, doing great? That an ultimate collar there. Paul as one sports type guy who's now a national guy, used to say, rack him. He stole Mines thunder. I was at that game in nineteen eighty eight when Steve he hit the two runs single off Ron Darling and twenty and he's very modest about it, and of course bulldog led us to that victory and we got the Mets that year. Twenty nine years later, fast forward, I was at that board in twenty seventeen and Tim you are just absolutely right. We owe darbish. Seems like a nice enough guy, but you know, there was talk back then and he darbish was tipping his pitches in twenty seventeen. What a letdown that was for clearly, I'd actually blew out to Houston and went to game took my daughter to Game five. I told her something was wrong. So really long was going on. Couldn't quite put my figures on it, but we owe them. And I got to tell you, you know, I'm a little bit apprehensive about Yoshi too. But I'm going back to June this year, and you'll recall that the Dodgers faced the Yankees. He pitched seven scoreless innings, had seven k's, and of course there are man po came through and the Dodgers won that game. But at the time, the Dodgers had the best record and the Yankees had the best record in their respective league, and there was just all this talk after the game, how Yoshi just bared down. He was showing intense and he really had his games that he's on, and they were talking about what the anticipated that he was going to be able to do in October. So right now is the time. Loved the old time references couldn't go back to Helendale and he got really great.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Kenny, appreciate the phone call. Yeah, he referenced to the start back on June seventh at Yankees Stadium. It was the Friday night opener of a three game set between the Dodgers and Yankees. The game would go eleven innings, but Yoshinova Yama Moto wins seven shutout innings. Yeah, allowed two hits, struck out seven, walked to through one hundred and six pitches, and yeah, a lot of people want to point to that game is maybe he stretched out too much and exerted too much that he hurt his shoulder and it was ended up going on the iel A couple starts later for three months. But yeah, that was a high stakes pressure game in the Bronx that he rose to the occasion and showed a lot of toughness out there. If he could just channel that a little bit, Saxy and we can get a little bit, little bit Yamamoto from June, I'll feel better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, look, all the build up is mostly all of this anxieties before the game. Naturally, when the game starts, you're in the flow, and you know, like I said the other day on the broadcast, it's it's like another game. It really is, because nothing's really that unfamiliar. There's a little more bunting on the on the on the stands of the you know, the flags everywhere and whatever. That's a little bit. But other than that, I didn't notice a ton of difference in the game. Maybe probably because we had, you know, guys like Worl on the mound that were just locking them down and it felt pretty comfortable. But yeah, I mean, you know, before the game, lots of intensity, lots of anxiety. When the game starts, it's another game.
Speaker 3: Andrew and Marietta joins us here on Saxon Kates in the am on this Friday morning as we lead you up to game five. Hi, Andrew, how you feeling.
Speaker 1: I'm really good.
Speaker 7: I think we're gonna get done tonight. And I'm glad you brought up twenty seventeen to the I have a little suggestion for the Dodger Clubhouse. I don't know if anybody remembers that game two twenty seventeen World Series, the Astros had only scored like one run through six innings and the camera panned to the dugout and Justin Verlander, who had started that game, was yelling at all his play like with this big intensity. And then they ended up scoring like six runs after the seventh inning and they won the game. And then in twenty eighteen Game four, I don't know if you guys, remember Rich Hill is dealing, you only give it like one hit through six innings, and same thing. They panted the dugout and Chris Sale for the Red Sox was like screaming at all his players saying like, oh, he only has one freaking pitch, like, let's do it. And they ended up scoring like seven runs. So I kind of want to see like a mookie that's yelling at somebody or something like. I don't know, Steve, did you ever yell at anybody in the digout to get them going?
Speaker 4: H Did I ever yell anybody all the time? But I didn't do it on the field.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I would yell at our own players to get us going, but not not talking trash the other players. Now I never liked that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now the pitchers were they were yelling at their own players in the dugout.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, yeah, all the time, all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fun to do.
Speaker 7: I like the intensity that the Dodgers have been bringing from the past. It's a little bit higher this year, but I just want to see someone yell at their own players in the deagout just to pump each other.
Speaker 4: Up even more. And I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: See Clayton Kershaw had off yelling at guys. Being a vocal leader.
Speaker 4: It's mostly it's mostly in a positive way. It's not like, hey, good your button. Guys like our our our our chant, our yell, our rebel yell for our team was Ashley Kirk. Gibson was the one that was doing it, and that was a guy who was supposed to be all serious and everything. When we got Gibby to loosen up and he would, you know, Tommy, after one of the games came in, we won a game, we came from behind. It must have been like in the you know, like in May or something, when things really started to become apparent that we were a good team. And Tommy came in the in the clubhouse and he said, what a blank in team. I can't say it. This is the family show. And so from that point on, every time we won a game, it was Gibby leading the yell in the locker room. What a blank in team? And that was our yell throughout the whole season, especially when we played the Mets. And we'll talk about that next week once we were in this series with them, But that's the thing that was always said all the time, what a a team?
Speaker 3: It was great love I love it, I absolutely love it. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We got a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodger clubout store a Universal City Walk to give away to one lucky Dodger fan between now in nine o'clock this morning at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy Andrew Fullerton, how you feeling before Game five to night first pitch at five oh eight.
Speaker 8: I'm feeling good because I have you darbish on the mound against us right now, because I definitely still feel that Game seven back into twenty seventeen as well.
Speaker 3: Where is your scar tissue? Mine stored on the left side upper body. It hurts to this day every time I think about you. Darbish. Where does it affect you?
Speaker 8: Well, it's actually in a positive light right now because I love this, you darbish chant of the darbish sarvice.
Speaker 7: As Dodger fans, we need to be on every single pitch.
Speaker 1: If he throws a ball, we need to cheer like it's a three unshot.
Speaker 8: We got to get into his head and be relentless.
Speaker 3: I hope so, I hope so, Andrew, I hope so. I hope you're right. And again, the more and more I think about this, we gotta get it going. That's say it was right and bringing this up yesterday, he talked about it again this morning, Saxy. I gotta get a hold of Diet Rule. I got to reach out to him. I got his number. Here's the Dodger Stadium organists and does a fantastic job. And he's so brilliant and so witty and so quick as far as the music he plays. Got to get him the message. If he's listening right now, Diet, we got to get you the message. We got to get a darvish chant going.
Speaker 4: Everybody's listening to scam right, so everybody in the ballpark. How about everybody brings a sign that said let's go Darvish and on the bottom of him say put just like a little asterisk in there and say courtesy of scam. You know what I mean. So we know that our listeners are taking it not only in their drive, but they're gonna take it to the yard tonight. I think we should do that.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the fun things to do at Dodger games.
Speaker 4: And I did this.
Speaker 3: They're in the Posty and runs. I think it was seventeen eighteen twenty one. Wasn't twenty because that was COVID year, but I remember specifically I saw Steve Sacks jerseys and I text you the pictures of the guys walking around. I'm looking forward to doing that again tonight. Yeah, that was my That was my parents and my relatives. No, come on, come on, they don't look related at all to your sex. Okay, but it's always fun to walking around see number three and I see Taylor on the back, but to see Sacks.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's got my number.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, did you give him permission? Because it should be retired. It's not retired.
Speaker 4: It should be no. No, well thanks, but no, I know he wears it. Well, I'm proud to have Taylor wearing that NUMBERK. He wears it.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take another phone call before the break here, let's go to We got to go to San Diego, Jeff, san Diego, a FI seventy LA sports. How you doing, Jeff.
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 3: Doing good? Jeff broke up man, go ahead.
Speaker 1: All the night and spray it everywhere, and I think we win it.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about you, darbish Yamamoto the pitching matchup tonight? How you little little nervous about Yama Moto based on how he's pitched.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just will teat it like he's a reliefer and kick butt tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Jeff, good advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, pretty simple.
Speaker 4: After that, we got to make sure that Yosha doesn't listened to the game. He's gonna think we don't have any confidence in him.
Speaker 3: Well, if he's listening, I'm gonna have a little message for him. Right and okay, put your big boy pants on. Yeah, go out there and deal. Be aggressive. Let's see a little emotion after a punch out. After you get to tea some merichado and you got a little splitty action happening, and they swing and miss for a strike three? How about a little primal scream? How about a little let's go? How about how about Yoshi just slams his glove down and and squares.
Speaker 4: Off, gets a little bit of a bend in the knees, yes, and does does the double draw from the holster and shakes the finger like, oh my god, you dig that? And then the primal scream, the double holster draw little with the guns shooting, and then puts them back in and goes, yeah, how about that?
Speaker 3: I would lose my mind and Dodgers Stadium would be shaking like it's a nine point zero earthquake if he did gouds.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't that be the funniest thing you ever saw in your life?
Speaker 3: It would love that. The stadium would not stop shaking. It'd be so excited, crazy if he were to go out and do that tonight. I got a line open eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It's game five, Yamamoto, darvish, how you feeling going into this?
Speaker 4: Winner?
Speaker 3: Take all? Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Your phone calls the rest of the way as we get you ready and lead you up to first pitch. Dodgers Padres first pitch at five oh wait right here on an FI seventy ice Sports Sax and Kates in the Am on your Home of the Dodgers A five seventy LA Sportslive and local Real Good to Rodney will be on at noon today after Colin Cowherd Petchro Some Money Live from Dodgers Stadium starting at two o'clock, a short two hour show leading in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. I'll be live from there as well. First pitch at five oh eight. Again, it's an early first pitch. It's not at seven o'clock. It's not at six o'clock. A five h eight first pitch, Dodger Fanti. If you're going to the game, get there early, give yourself plenty of time to park. At yourself a Dodger Dog, a nice cold beverage, and get into your seat ready to stand for nine innings and chant at you Darvish as soon as he gets to the mound, it's gotta be in Unison fifty thousand chanting. Doish, Doari get in his head, get after him, be that be that tenth man for the Dodgers on the field to help him out through this game five tonight.
Speaker 6: Isn't there?
Speaker 4: Isn't there something like they have like a picture of his face on like a stick, you know, like a little stick flag or something, and they have like a cutout of his face. You've seen those before, right, Yeah, I'm a little sick they should have that and going and swaying it back and forth in unison, so you have fifty six thousand doing it. It looks like a giant wave going darbish. I mean that would be that would kind of get in your head a little bit, I would think absolutely. I mean the darves on the mountain's got to be thinking they can't all be wrong, right.
Speaker 3: I hope it would get into his head. I think that he's a veteran who's been through a lot in his long career in baseball now thirty eight years old. But I'm hoping they can get after him and rat them a little bit tonight, and the Dodgers can get to him on the scoreboard early and take an early lead and help out Yamamoto and his nerves. I think the top of the first is going to be huge Saxony. For him to go out there and put up zeros and really show that he's out there and can pitching a big game like this tonight, I think that will send a positive message to the Dodger fans and I think to the Dodgers players. Really, if he can go out there, get Luisa Rise, go out there and get those first three batters that he's gonna face, it's gonna be monumental for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's got to he's got to work on the fringes of the plate too, because I mean, you look at his fastballs. It's decent, but it's it's not one hundred and four, you know. And so he's gotta he's got to work on the thigh to the ground. When his off speed pitches are working from the letter to the thigh, that's problematic. And that's what we saw in his last doubting. If he works the fastball up and down, works all four quadrants and changes the eye level of the hitter and then is able to work as secondary stuff from the thigh to the ground and sometimes use the ground bury that bury that splitter in the ground with two strikes and and let will Smith block it and throw them out at first. I mean, that's a big, huge pitch for them for him, But work them that thing up in the strike zone. He's gonna get tattooed. He's got to make that thing between the thigh and the ground. That's a great point. And you mentioned Will Smith a couple of times in Game one. He had to get down on his knees there and block balls. One of them five passed him. That's gonna be big.
Speaker 3: Will Smith's gonna have to be a wall back there tonight, and defense is gonna have to be something that he is really on top of with Yamamoto and that split finger, like you said, in order to keep it down to the zone, maybe get some chases and some swing and missus. That is going to be huge. We have a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodgers' clubout Store Universal City Walk. The Dodgers clubout Store course features official custom jerseys of all your favorite Dodgers players, along with hats, t shirts, and so much more. It is a one stop shop for all your Dodgers gears this postseason. The Dodgers' Clubhouse Store, the official team store of Anti seventy LA Sports threw one lucky Dodger fan. We've got a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to give away between now and nine o'clock. All Right, Bell and locking yat a beautiful area of southern California out there in the eight one a bill? How you doing? How you feeling going at a game five to night?
Speaker 9: Well, I just want to just say this, this is still the year of Otani.
Speaker 8: This is going to be laying all on him.
Speaker 6: Man, It's not all the pressure on.
Speaker 4: Him, but this is his year.
Speaker 1: This is not gonna end tonight.
Speaker 9: The Padreies have not scored in fifteen innings. The pressure's on them. If we can score early, I think they're gonna feel the pressure. They're in big trouble. The only thing that makes me nervous about tonight's game is the starting time. Just from playing watching football for football baseball for sixty years, twilight always makes me nervous because it's hard to score in the twilight. I don't know what you guys opinion of it is on that score, but it makes me nervous this time. I don't know at the time, but let's see. I think the Dodgers pull it out.
Speaker 3: All right, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 3: You brought up the start time. We'll get to that in a second. But also, yeah, the Dodgers have not given up a run to the Padres since the second inning of Game number three, so yeah, they consecutive streak here is for no run score by the Padres is gone on from Game three of the second inning and of that game all the way through Game four with the shutout win for the Dodgers going into Game five tonight, So that's pretty impressive. Also, the five o'clock first pitch Saxy, Yeah, you Levet, same for both teams. You've played it the Shadows.
Speaker 4: Is it real?
Speaker 3: Is it problem?
Speaker 4: Sure? Yeah it is, but not for a long time. It is for a little bit, but it's the same for both teams. My biggest my biggest problem or question is that how long can you keep Luis a rise down? Now, thankfully he's not a guy that really goes deep very much, only four home runs during the season, but boy, he sure sets that table. Think about this and put this in context. This is a guy that won three batting titles the last three years with three different teams. Okay, this guy can flat out. H I T no doubt about it, and to keep him down for this long, Hey, one more game, you gotta do it. But but you know what, sometay it works for both teams that dude's gonna rup to but hopefully not to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep him down for as long as possible. Joe in Ontario, next up here on SAX and Kate's and am on a FI seventy Ola Sports. Good morning, Joe, how you feeling Yamamoto Darbash game five to night.
Speaker 7: I'm a little nervous, not gonna lie man.
Speaker 1: First of all, good morning guys.
Speaker 6: Darvish Is has had our number ever since we didn't re sign him back in what twenty seventeen. Yes, it's he's he he You gotta get him early because I believe I heard where he works on all his pitches and whatever works towards the middle innings or the middle yeah, middle innings. He starts, he starts throwing. It's it's nervous, you know, and then you know you have the kid Yama, which is he's.
Speaker 7: Really young to be throwing in a critical game like this, so at least twenty six it's just want to get your takes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate Joe signed his twenty twenty five year old righthander now twenty six, and if you're going to sign him to a deal light they did to make him the highest paid pitcher right handed pitcher, and they history of baseball saxy. You have to be able to throw him out there in a decisive game five. Then why did you sign him to the biggest deal ever not to have him pitching one of the biggest games.
Speaker 4: Hey, he's twenty six, he's a grown you know what, man, Okay, he forget that. I don't get this today. Well he's only twenty eight. Really, that's it, man. I was in sixth grade buying my own clothes. Okay, get off of it. So anyway, I don't think that matters. Look, it's gonna come down to what we talked about before. Either you do or you do not. And I think if Yamamoto is mowing him down, he's giving up one run in four innings, maybe you stretch him another inning. I get Ryan Depster talking about it, and I know I don't argue with his point. He's right about that, But I think momentum is such a huge thing, especially in postseason. You know what if he's If he's going and getting guys out, I'm gonna stay with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think tonight it's gonna be imperative. That first inning put up a zero. We'll see what he could do moving forward. As you keep talking about Saxony, you mentioned that leash is gonna be short. Yeah, Dodgers bullpen on the other end of it, sure, and you know what happens guys rolling, You take him out because of the pitch count. Reliever comes in and just gives it up. We've seen that a million times. So if he's rolling, let him roll, let him roll. If he's rolling, absolutely, eight six six ninety seven, two five seventy two hours down, one to go. We're getting closer and closer to the first pitch. Dodgers and Padres. What is your gut feel, Dodger fans, We'll be we'll be texting to talk to to night tim. It is gonna be back and forth, and I don't know if I can take it. I am nervous. I am nervous right now. My stomach is churning. You need a TCB or whatever they call it, TBD. What are those things called? Those little CBD.
Speaker 4: CBD Okay, yeah, you need maybe need one of those.
Speaker 3: I need something to calm me down right now because I'm nervous.
Speaker 4: Feel sorry for missus Kates.
Speaker 3: Yeah me too, Me too. I've been a wreck all week. Last forty hours have been really a wreck for me. Like I didn't sleep much last night.
Speaker 4: Saxy dude, Okay, you gotta you gotta get over that threshold. D it all right once you once you hit the hay, put the cell phone down on the car so you don't even think about answering it and get some get some z's, bro, you deserve it.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the problem. I went to bed. Look, I looked at my phone because I couldn't sleep, and I saw that the Dodgers announced Yama motive was gonna start. And then I really couldn't sleep last night. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy one hour to go. Your phone calls the rest of the way came five. How you feeling, Dodger fans stay in five seventy l a Sports