Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I A M six forty.
Speaker 2: That reservoir that was empty.
Speaker 3: And the argument is that l A WP really screwed the pooch and there it fault being sued. And wait till I tell you about the defense that l A WP has come up with.
Speaker 2: And that's coming wp.
Speaker 4: LA.
Speaker 2: That's what I said, W I said, l E l A p up.
Speaker 3: I know, I said LA duy tgif DP.
Speaker 1: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle. Oh handle here all right.
Speaker 3: Wednesday day, April sixteenth, as we started the program, first a quick hello, and I.
Speaker 2: Want to share with you I happened yesterday. It was just a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: First of all, in Neil god morning, good morning, Willie wool Yes.
Speaker 2: Right across from me. And and good morning, good morning.
Speaker 3: Where your San Diego sweats or whatever the hell are yes, big padre fan, which in LA is yes, it's questionable. Will Cole Schreiber, good morning, good morning, and Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, Hi, Bill, Hi, cono.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's up?
Speaker 4: Bill?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 2: Everybody's happy. So I want to share with you what happened.
Speaker 3: So yesterday afternoon there was a sales event, a meeting where prospective clients we're talking about on a national level big time were invited. And it was Bob Pittman, who's the CEO. Ryan Seacrest was there and they did sort of a town hall kind of thing and Paul Corvino.
Speaker 5: Paul Corvino was hosting as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: He started it, introduced everybody and and then Big Boy was there, and Val was there, Ellen k a few others that were there, and so you know, we are million a round. So Jeff Thomas, who is our sales POUBA here is talking to some to somebody and I go up to Jeff and you know, I say, Hi, how you doing?
Speaker 2: And uh?
Speaker 3: And I look at whoever it is talking to and he shakes hands, shakes my hands, pull his hands out and he goes hi Bill. And I look at him like kind of who are you? And he goes hi Bob Pittman. And I said, oh.
Speaker 5: You didn't recognize the CEO CEO of No.
Speaker 3: And I have met him, uh several times and he did the nicest thing in the world for me.
Speaker 5: Keep you on. Well that's one, give you a job.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: But when I was and now this is. I'm not blowing my horn. I just want to tell you, of course I am. When I was inducted in the Radio Hall of Fame, it was in Chicago. Pittman sent his plane to pick me up.
Speaker 5: I know, with you, I know. The only time I've ever been in a private plate I.
Speaker 3: Know, I know, And it was Pittman's plane. And I didn't recognize him.
Speaker 5: Yesterday you could blindfold me, and the minute he spoke, I could tell you it was him.
Speaker 2: Oh he is that? Well, I didn't.
Speaker 3: It was really very loud, and it was It was at a nightclub in that they had booked in West la and it was, you know, the chandeliers and all that. It was like some completely stoned Iranian decorator that put it together.
Speaker 2: It was just ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And I didn't son. Let me tell you how dark it was. Middle of the day. It is dark, So I want to go to the restroom. And I asked where there's restaurant and someone pointed out and I go, You couldn't see, so I went up to the urinal to take a leak.
Speaker 2: I could see what was going on.
Speaker 3: No, but you know, you should have seen how angry the guy was who was in front of me at the time.
Speaker 5: Can you back up, sir?
Speaker 2: Uh? It was, it was. It was really interesting.
Speaker 5: You're not really somebody that I put at the at the club out there at the club yourself. It's been some years for you to be in the club.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I was never a club guy. Never just just wasn't me.
Speaker 3: Never drank, so you know, I'd have my diet coke and it just wasn't the same.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Today we have Jim Keeney is coming to board as we are every every Wednesday. We're gonna talk about full Body Mries and I have a personal story to share with you about full Body MRI.
Speaker 2: What no I do?
Speaker 3: I do a very personal story and I've got fun personal stories.
Speaker 2: I always bringing stuff to the to the table.
Speaker 5: Did it? Did it art? Or end with circ Can you remove that half a pack of roll Aids from your pocket and you say that's not roll aids, your penis bill, it's small?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, full body Oh okay, I I didn't put it together.
Speaker 2: That was that was to me.
Speaker 5: It was kind of a scre You didn't know the CEO of your company?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. I really didn't any and he did say.
Speaker 3: When I apologize for not recognizing, he says, yeah, you know, I got old.
Speaker 2: I go, no kidding. Uh, we've all gotten old.
Speaker 5: So anyway, you realize he has more change in his couch than you have money in your bank.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, he does, really real. But then you know he created MTV. He was there and he was done a lot of things, yeah, he said, and then they brought him in to run ihearten. I mean, then you know the guy is fairly rarefied air to say the least.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's up there.
Speaker 3: Started as a disc jockey, by the way he started any records came out of radio.
Speaker 5: He's got a great voice. Yeah, that's why I'm saying, like you could I could hear his voice.
Speaker 2: It was so loud. I'm making excuses. All right, guys, you ready to do it?
Speaker 3: Yes, time for handle on the news, Amy Neil and Me lead story. The judge overseeing the case of that man mistakenly deported El Salvador is not happy with the Trump administration, ruling that that the administration has to facilitate having returning him, uh from l Salvador back to the States. And then you've had the State Department then you have the Trump administration.
Speaker 5: But didn't they ask and the president Salvador goes no.
Speaker 3: He was asked, they were he was asked by a reporter whether he was going to go. No. But the government, I don't think has asked for the return, even for someone to in court order.
Speaker 2: May Trump's said, hey, welcome to the White House.
Speaker 5: Hey can we have him back? No, okay, we've tried to.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know we could. And here's what the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: This is a fun part because they now, you know, we don't quite know the story. It was, yes, we made a mistake, and then no, we didn't make a mistake.
Speaker 2: That was Pambondi.
Speaker 3: And even if we did make a mistake, the government doesn't have the right to tell us to return him.
Speaker 2: The court doesn't have the jurisdiction. And even if we.
Speaker 3: Made a mistake and the court has jurisdiction, it sells Salvador's call not ours, so effectively telling the Supreme Court to go pound sand I think it went to the Supreme Court, didn't it, or just the federal judge in any way, to the Supreme Court. And and Prump doesn't care. He just says too bad, and what's the court gonna do. There's no court police. I mean they have a you know, the building as a police, but they can't mandate anything other than mandate. And then theoretically we all pay attention to the Supreme Court. Now, has it happened where the president has said I don't care? Actually came close where Richard Nixon the Watergate tapes and it went up to whether they had to turn over the tapes and the Supreme Court ruled unanimously he had to, and he paid attention, but he said if it was five to four, he wasn't going to pay attention. If it was a split court decision, he wasn't going to do it. Now it happened to be unanimous, so at that point he would have to say, I don't care what the court says, and Trump is very close to that. Every argument is that the judiciary does not have the power to mandate what the president does. Scary stuff. Okay, let's take a break, we'll come back and move on. And the judge may hold the government of the United States and can tempt I don't know the last time that has happened. If Ever, how do you hold the government in contempt all right.
Speaker 6: One in thirty one.
Speaker 4: A new study out of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows autism diagnosis rates have skyrocketed. About one in thirty one kids was diagnosed with autism by the age of eight in twenty twenty two. That's up from one in thirty six in twenty twenty and from you know, like forty years ago was one in ten thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what the doctors are saying, diagnose. We we now know what autism is. It's early diagnosis. They get it much much much sooner they're able to diagnose. The definition of autism has expanded traumatically. We now talk about the spectrum. And so, of course Robert F. Kennedy Junior is saying it's a pandemic. I guess people catch autism communicable disease.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know why his focus is. I mean it, obviously we should know as much as we can about anything about being human. But I wonder if we're all on the spectrument somewhere, you know, depending on how big it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the whole point. Everybody is somewhere there.
Speaker 5: Ever heard the John Cobalt Show come on that guy's got to be.
Speaker 3: It's another name is The Autism Show starring John coleblt.
Speaker 5: All right, Marjorie Taylor Green, she's a piece of work. In the hours just before President Trump announced that ninety day partial pause on a bunch of new tariffs on foreign foreign goods, he went on social media, if you remember, and said, great time to buy. So a disclosure made public on Monday, said representative Marjorie Taylor Green poured between twenty one I guess they don't have to give an exact amount, between twenty one and three hundred and fifteen thousand dollars in the stock market on Tuesday and Wednesday, investing in seventeen companies, including Apple, Elon Musk's Tesla Nodia. I mean these are not anything.
Speaker 3: No, in a couple of things about that Trump said to everybody, now is a good time to invest. So there's plenty of people who follow what Trump says. Marjorie Taylor Green will do anything that Trump says, So why why would this be different? Yeah, I mean why hold her.
Speaker 5: To She says she has a fiduciary agreement allows her financial advisor to make things without her, and that what ends.
Speaker 3: Up happening many cases is you have elected officials that put all of their assets into a blind trust where the trustee makes the decisions and doesn't even tell the trust or the person who puts some money in of any decisions. And usually the decisions are very, very conservative. So walking out of a blind trust after the official leaves office and they're virtually no money has ever made.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not like it was discovered. Doesn't she have to disclose this stuff?
Speaker 3: Everybody has to discuss that she put it in. So, but it's she. I think she's doing everything right. So on this one, Come on, have you heard.
Speaker 4: About Nancy Pelosi's app? It's not her app, but it's an app called Autopilot that follows her investments because.
Speaker 6: The choices made are so good.
Speaker 5: Oh she had she has good mink wink luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, her husband was a financier as Paul I think was his name, and he the guy was wealthy, wealthy, wealthy as an investor.
Speaker 4: So I think a lot of lawmakers have made questionable investments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't think you will. I don't think it's Nancy Pelosi. I don't think it's Marjorie Taylor Green who has taken advantage of her position as a legislator to make money. I think she's already wealthy in her own right. And she and Donald Trump didn't put his assets into a blind trust. He just had his kids talk about it to run it for him. Now he's the only president's ever done that.
Speaker 4: Biden's come out of hiding president to former President. Biden made his first public appearance since he left the White House. He was in Chicago at a conference of disability advocates last night, and he came out swing and accusing President Trump of taking a hatchet to the Social Security administration.
Speaker 6: He says that what Trump is doing.
Speaker 4: Is jeopardizing the future of Social Security for millions of seniors and disabled Americans who depend on it. Trump has repeatedly said he's not touching social Security.
Speaker 5: But what is this the tariffs that are causing the effect to.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no tariffs. And I was so security.
Speaker 5: Now what social Security? It doesn't isn't the money in stocks or no? No, no, what does it do?
Speaker 3: It's paid out of the general fund for the most part.
Speaker 5: Uh. And it's a chant. They don't invest it at all.
Speaker 2: Nope, wow, No, it's just checks.
Speaker 3: That are written from the government and every year it goes up and it's inflati.
Speaker 5: That was the only tie I could make.
Speaker 3: No, no, no. And by the way, I don't think he is taking money out of or reducing money. I think didn't Doze cut the staff at Social Security And is that what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: Don't know, he said, And he says that that they're jeopardized, jeopardizing the future of it and taking a hatchet to it.
Speaker 6: So I don't know exactly what.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 4: He's taking a hatchet to some jobs which Doge says are inefficient, fraudulent, well not needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he says that, yeah that, well, all all the.
Speaker 3: Agencies and the bureaucracies we have have to be taken a hatchet too, because there's so much fraud, and there is a lot of fraud. I mean, they there's programs out there that are insane. But you can't do that with that broad a brush. And social Security is honest way to becoming broke anyway, because the whole premise of Social Security is existing employees paying to Social Security to pay employees who have retired. And when it first started, I think it was five to one or eight to one working people paid into retirees because at sixty five retirees died within a year or two. My mother died at ninety eight, receiving social security from the time shaker early because she has some medical stuff at fifty eight, So how many of that fifty eight to ninety eight she had forty years of social security?
Speaker 5: So this was a conference, a conference of disability advocates. Was here he speaking or was he just an ten d?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was sponsored by a hearing aid company, wasn't it what? Okay?
Speaker 5: I realized Homelessness is not a crime, as you will be told by every part politician, but it can be a problem. New memo from interim LAFD chief Ronnie Vianueva says a surgeon calls to help the homeless shows even more just how strapped the department is for resources. So fiscal year of twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five, the city allocated nine hundred and sixty one million dollars to homelessness. You want to know the LAFD budget for that same fiscal year, well under that about eight hundred and thirty sevens.
Speaker 3: It's the other way around. There's beending more on No, you're right, Yeah, that's what I said. Yeah, homelessness. They spent a lot more than for the LAFFC.
Speaker 5: So they say that a third of all fires, about thirty two zero point nine to one percent that the department responded to in the last six years, involve a member of the homeless community. This is a hot topic. The burning question is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, we get reports of fires every morning. Every morning.
Speaker 4: There's stuff on ramp, on fire, underpass, on fire.
Speaker 3: You know, they light fires to keep warm. I mean, there's all they're sick there. You don't even report them, do you Amy?
Speaker 4: No, And when they're reported, they're not reported as homeless fires, which they we know they are, but they're not reported that way.
Speaker 5: Ye just tell where the location.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know there's a political around there. You can't you Yeah, it just drives your nuts, right. You can't ask if someone's illegal.
Speaker 3: You can't mention that there is for example, you can't mention that the guys at home depot that used to be in the driveway. No, you can't refer to them as illegal migrants. They're just people there. And anyway, so the homeless lighting everything on fire, but you can't really accuse.
Speaker 2: Them of that.
Speaker 4: Tickets no longer required. That may be the case next time you go to the airport. The International Civil Aviation Organization i c AO has announced plans to eliminate paper boarding passes and check in as we know it. So soon you could get a digital travel credential, which I already use a lot of people are okay, I already do that.
Speaker 6: But which stored on your smartphone.
Speaker 4: And then they use facial recognition to get you through the airport.
Speaker 2: Yes, technology, and you zip through. You're zipping through. Yeah, if you have.
Speaker 5: Global re entry and stuff like that, it's all facial.
Speaker 2: They did it with Max, with me with my wife.
Speaker 5: All right, FAA test drone detection equipment there in New Jersey after those really weird unexplained drone sightings in that state last year. You remember all those. Yeah, for over two weeks or so they've been testing. This stuff includes about one hundred off the shelf unmanned aerial systems. And you know, the Canadians.
Speaker 3: Drones are dangerous. They have to figure out what's going on. They can't be in the wrong hands. Sure, one more.
Speaker 6: Amy Canadians, come on down.
Speaker 4: Governor Newsom has unveiled the tourism campaign campaign urging Canadians to come experience.
Speaker 6: Our California Love.
Speaker 4: Why because there's been a decline in tourist visits from Canadians.
Speaker 6: He says in the video.
Speaker 4: Sure you know who is trying to stir things up back in DC, but don't let that ruin your beach plans.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the billboards? I have not out there and say we think he's a dick too. They don't really Neil, you would have that billboard? Would you used to do all the billboards for KFI?
Speaker 5: I would pitch some pretty rough ones to see if it got passed through. But I say I knew he was pandering when he said, come on out, see what's California's all a boot?
Speaker 2: That's not bad, not bad.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna take it, all right, you can leave it anymore, all right. LA will set aside three million dollars to help owners of fire damaged homes. This specifically is to test soil for lead. You have Supervisors Catherine Barger and Lindsay Horvath proposed this motion after Polymary Preliminary test results that they released last week showed lead levels above state health standards and many eighty percent of soil samples collected.
Speaker 3: But this isn't like the Eaton burns, the Eaten Star fire because Palisades homes are much newer and don't have.
Speaker 5: The Yeah, so you go back to those those beautiful old homes that they have in that area and yeah, like they need something else.
Speaker 4: China's economy seems to be booming. They just put out the report saying that it had five per fourth okay, five point four percent economic growth for the first three months of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: That we're huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and of course it doesn't include the tariffs. They don't include the impact of those reciprocal tariffs which kicked in in April. The overall tariffs on China are now one hundred and forty five percent, So.
Speaker 3: Except for high end electronics, those have been put on hold and phones.
Speaker 5: And aren't they looking at the possibility of cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're exempting like, oh, we don't have Chinese cars.
Speaker 3: No, China doesn't sell cars here because there is I don't even know why, because it's even with a tariff, Chinese cars would be cheaper than our cars.
Speaker 6: So doesn't China have good cars?
Speaker 3: They have great cars and they're half the price China revis electric cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, China's biggest car market in the world. But there are no American cars.
Speaker 6: In China, and there's no Chinese cars in America.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 5: The Agriculture Department is fact tracking state request to yank soda and candy from food stamp programs. It's going to start probably in Arkansas and Indiana. They're first in line there. But this makes somewhat sense.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be you know, why buy use government money to buy garbage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it used to be you couldn't use snap money for anything other than groceries. You couldn't use it at delis, for example, the deli section of the store. Couldn't use snap money for that because that's processed food.
Speaker 2: All you could do was for groceries.
Speaker 3: Couldn't buy alcohol, couldn't buy cigarett, couldn't go to fast food establishments.
Speaker 2: Now it's wide open. You've seen all of these fast foods.
Speaker 3: We accept EBT or BTT money, and I think that's stamp money, that's food stamps.
Speaker 2: Great. I completely agree with this. Of course, the American beverage industry.
Speaker 3: Says restricting soda from food stamp benefits won't make an ounce of difference on health.
Speaker 4: All right, it's a field of Olympic dreams. LA twenty twenty eight, which is the Olympic Organizing Committee for the Los Angeles Olympics, has announced that Dodgers Stadium, of course, home of the rainy World Series champion LA Dodgers, will host a baseball tournament when baseball returns as an official Olympic sport in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 6: I think that's a good choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of I like Olympic sports coming back.
Speaker 6: And a Dodgers stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And you see it goes back and forth too. Sports.
Speaker 3: Some are added, some are taken away. Baseball was included and it was taken away. Bad mitton was around for a while, Gone Ping pong was around for a while.
Speaker 4: Gone squash is making its debut this year and it's going to be played at the Universal Studios.
Speaker 3: Ye, Hopscotch is coming back. It is not Hacky Sack coming back.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't be surprised if that one became.
Speaker 5: I missed that miss you know, the badminton, Yeah, just because you got to say Shuttlecock.
Speaker 7: Yeah, federal regulators have accused the nation's largest private apartment landlord of soaking tenants with a bunch of these hidden fees for years and years and years.
Speaker 5: Bulking up its bottom line with billions of dollars because the way that they advertised. The name of the Carolina, South Carolina based landlord is gray Star, and they're saying that gray Star only disclosed the true rental prices after prospective tenants had paid application fees or signed their leases.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, uh, there's a pop up disclaimer. Rents are base rents. At least you're being told it's a base rent. And then well it's like, oh, how about this, you fly on your fee, yeah, resort fee, which you don't know about.
Speaker 2: All you have is your basic fee for a hotel room.
Speaker 3: Or how about flying on an airplane with the junk fees that are thrown on that.
Speaker 5: So bring all eight carry ons, man.
Speaker 2: And there even be charges some airlines for carryons.
Speaker 4: What what it's true those low cost carriers like Avelo, it charges for carryons. All right, do you want to skip to do you want to do the Amazon ROBOTAXI?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Sure, that's neil oh sure, a Zekes Dad zokes Zekes, the autonomous driving technology company owned by Amazon, is preparing to begin testing its vehicles here in Los Angeles this summer. So the city will be the sixth testing location for the Bay Area based venture, which does not yet offer rights to the public, but it was founded in twenty fourteen, acquired by Amazon in twenty twenty. And you know, it's all these new self driving technologies they're trying to.
Speaker 3: Make way more by Alphabet Google parent company.
Speaker 2: You got the major companies buying into these.
Speaker 5: Autonomous Oh it will be it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a thing.
Speaker 5: It will be right.
Speaker 3: Ohways, and they're going to be safer, far safer than human beings drive.
Speaker 5: The more of them on the road, the better will be of course.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, we're done with the news. KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.