Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan raybs Costin's video.
Speaker 2: The byther Way. For those of you who are not watching the the Four Nations Final, I'll give you an updated score is one one at the end of the first period. So if you're watching the game, just keep the audio down. You can sit, you can stay with us here on Nightside. I want to talk this hour and I will look. I am looking for people to chime in here. I want to focus on the city of Somerville, Massachusetts. Those of you who live in the Boston area know Somerville kind of the contiguous to Cambridge, a little contiguous I think, to Charlestown and Medford. It's it's kind of it's it's a suburb of Boston, sort of almost an extension of the city. But they have a pretty aggressive snow removal program in Somerville. Now, the last two winters are here in Boston or in New England, snow hasn't been much of a problem certainly, let us say Massachusetts southwards. It always snows in Vermont and Maine. In New Hampshire it seems. But we've got hit with some pretty big snowstorms in the low not huge, but significant snow and we've started off with a very very cold month of February. So what has happened is we've had this set of circumstances where we get maybe a rainstorm turns to ice, maybe there's some sleet involved. Then there's a snowstorm. It freezes real quickly if you don't get out and get it right away, and then there's some rain. And it's been below thirty two for several days in a row. I mean it's and it's been below zero on wind chew factor. I mean, it has been a really nasty, nasty last few weeks since sometime in I guess late January. It's not to the level of the winter of twenty fifteen January of ten years ago, when it just snowed tremendous amounts I mean eight I think it was eighty inches in February and one hundred and twenty inches in the last half of January and through February into March. But no, I got a beef. My beef is with the City of Summerville because apparently, according to a whole bunch of reports that I have seen the last few days, the City of Summerville has gotten really aggressive with their own residents. So if you own a piece of property, or if you own your own home in Summerville and you have a sidewalk in front of your house, I believe that sidewalk is owned by the City of Summerville, not by the homeowner. That's the way it is in most cities, and I have no reason to think that that's anywhere any different in Somerville. However, in Somerville, you have an obligation to keep your sidewalk clear, which you know, I understand under normal circumstances, that's that's a kind of a reasonable obligation. They, however, have looked at this series of snowstorms in Somerville, and I think they have seen it as a revenue stream because according to and I have several TV and newspaper stories here, and I will just tell you that this is not research that I have independently done. But this research is not only from the shoveling rules and supports on the City of Somerville's website, which we're going to talk about, but also you know, legitimate news sources are reporting that a lot of tickets have been given out this winter, and as certainly I would assume the vast majority of those tickets have been issued since probably the middle of January, because before the middle of January, we didn't have much snow this year, but not much cold. Frankly, I mean, it was a little cold in other years, but it has really the last month gotten very cold. Since November of twenty twenty four, Somerville has given out eight hundred and ninety four tickets to homeowners who have not cleared their sidewalks. Now the system in Somerville says that sidewalks must be cleared within six daylight hours. Once the snow stops, the homeowner is expected required to shovel a path of at least thirty six inches that's three feet wide down to the payment on the sidewalks and ramps. Now, by the way, do not shovel the snow onto city streets unless the temperature is forty degrees warmer, and during daylight hours. Break up snow and ice and spread it evenly on the street so it melts more quickly. Okay, These rules apply to all snowfall or ice, not just when a snow emergency is declared. Now it says, don't get a ticket not complying with the above rules can result in a fine of one hundred dollars for the first offense for owners of one to two and three unit homes, two hundred dollars for the second defense, and three hundred for all subsequent offenses. Fines for commercial property or residential buildings with more than four units go up a little bit to one hundred and fifty for the first defense and three hundred for all subsequent offenses. In designated areas, city crews may also clear sidewalks in front of private properties beginning twenty four hours after the snow stops falling. Snow removal will be prioritized following the guidelines below. The city may impose additional fines in place leans on property where the city has to clear the sidewalks. So here's where it really gets interesting reports of unshoveled sidewalks. All you have to do is report an unshoveled sidewalk by calling three to one one or there's a number there to city hall, emailing three to one one updates at Somerville, MA dot gov, or downloading and using the three one one app. You may also report issues via Facebook, Facebook, dot com, Slash three one one Somerville or Twitter at three to one one Somerville at Somerville City Hall. Let me tell you they are very aggressive in Somerville. Now, there apparently is some sort of a Somerville Youth Show program. Is a paid opportunity for you to help for youth to help a local seniors, persons with disabilities, or persons with medical conditions after a snowstorm. Seniors and other qualified persons pay a subsidized fee to Youth for shoveling services for both their own property and for the adjacent sidewalks. So even if you're a senior, or if you're a person with a disability, or you're a person with a medical condition like a heart condition, you too are expected to shovel the city sidewalk that is adjacent to your property, the sidewalk in front of your property. And they are aggressive. Eight hundred and ninety four tickets so far for these conditions. Let me tell you, folks in Somerville, you should be calling the Mayor's office Mayor Cantanja Valentine, she's a second term mayor and let her know that imposition of this policy which might work, you know, for a normal snowstorm. Okay, normal snowstorm two or three inches. Okay, that's fine. But we've had a series of snowstorms which it's impossible. It's impossible to keep your sidewalk clear, particularly if you're a senior, if you're someone with disabilities, or if you're someone with some sort of a heart condition. People have died shoveling snow in Somerville. Apparently the political leaders in Somerville are more interested in a revenue stream than they are in the health and welfare of their citizens. I'm going to open up the lines here. Okay, I feel really strongly on this. I feel really strongly now. I shoveled some on my property. I don't live in Somerville, but I shoveled some on my property. I put some sand out on my property. Was out on Sunday afternoon when it was pouring rain, and I got soaked. I easily could have gotten pneumonia. I was soaked through some of my clothes. I don't think my outer garments haven't dried off even at this point on Thursday. Uh, And I was out there trying to take advantage of the rain and use whatever rain we were going to get to form some rivulets. Which would you know channel the any snow that did melt or any ice that did melt away down down the driveway or off the driveway. So I want to know from you, where are the people of Somerville and if you're in Summerville. This is just not fair. Now I know someone's gonna say, wow, people should be able to walk on the sidewalks. Well, guess what. Sometimes in the wintertime you can't walk on the sidewalks. It's as simple as that. Sometimes in the wintertime you're kind of crazy if you walk on the sidewalks because you're only looking for trouble. This is nasty set of storms who have had. I think it's time for Somerville to back off, and I'm calling for all of those tickets, those eight hundred and thirty four tickets, that money should be refunded. It's as simple as that. That is a burden that you're placing on your own citizens in Somerville, which I think is totally unfair. It's also arbitrary and capricious because if if I happen to live in a neighborhood where someone wants to report me the little snow shoveling superintendent who will write the tickets will show up at my door only because maybe there's a neighbor that doesn't like me. There's too much in this, too much involvement that I think is totally unfair. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Let's have at it, and let's shake Somerville up here a little bit. And I want to hear from listeners in Somerville, and I want to hear from listeners from people like me who don't want to ever go to Somerville, particularly during the winter, because I don't think it is not a friendly place. Somerville. We should we should call it Winterville at this point, maybe Howie Winterville. We'll be back on nightside. Let's have some fun with this, but let's also make our points because if this succeeds in Somerville, it's gonna succeed in neighborhoods where you are. And this is unfair. There's no sidewalk in Somerville other than a sidewalk that you know they have these little plows. That's what the Somerville DPW is for, simple as that we'll be back on nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nights Side Studios on WBS News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's get at it. Gonna go to Justin and Marlborough. Justin, Welcome, sir, how are you tonight? Welcome Justin?
Speaker 3: Thank you for taking my call. You're forgetting a very, You're forgetting a very with the point for yourself.
Speaker 2: Go hell of.
Speaker 3: They'll copy some of them'll copy this from your from your from where you live. Some of them will copy this from Newton Newton rule.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that Newton is is enforcing it as as actively. Now. I know that there are you know, there are lots of people who want to walk on the sidewalks. But I also think that people should use their head and and occasionally say to themselves, Okay, maybe it's not you know, it's not advisable for me to walk on the sidewalk.
Speaker 3: Now, in Newton they actually had the traffic police, the white cas They go around and give out they give out warnings. I work as a mailman in Newton, so I walk on the side walks every day. So I think it's wonderful. Just my own self is benefit.
Speaker 2: But the pot guess what I understand that. But but the key word is selfish. You you at least acknowledge that that it that it's a good you know that it is. You know it's good for you. I get it, I really do. I I respect that. But men, I just don't understand why anyone would we're try to go out and shovel. It's it just it's tough, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean it's yeah, because I tell the people don't stumble. I said, I recommend that they buy a big bag of rock salt.
Speaker 2: That's good. But if again, if you're if you're eighty five years old, you maybe you don't have the ability to get to the store and buy rock salt.
Speaker 3: Right, and you just hope you just hope for the compassion of the neighbors. Don't anythink I want to bring up is that's say, you're right, the city owns the sidewalks. But if the city, if the city decides to fix it themselves, that's gonna cost a lot of money to get those individual like they have those small little plows. Yeah, side block that that'll cost more money than it does to buy rock thought. I'm just saying it's going to be more expensive to have the city. That's the idea, you know.
Speaker 2: I think all the points you make, Justine are great. At the same time, I would bet if we went through the City of Somerville budget, if we put Elon Musk into Somerville City Hall, he could find some waste and fraud in Somerville City Hall saves some money. I just feel badly for some person who's on a fixed income, you know, particularly older person living on maybe Social Security benefits, and all of a sudden they get hit with a couple of one hundred dollars fines because they d shovel.
Speaker 3: I agree with you and Noney have. The thing I want to bring up is the other people that suffer a lot are the people that live on the corner. The house is on the corner, but then they get two sidewalks, and those are the ones that you know.
Speaker 2: Well. My producer Rob was just saying that that he lives he doesn't live in Somerville, thank goodness, but he deals with that as well. Justin. Always great to hear your voice. Thank you so much and thanks for doing what you do and getting the mail out. Do you get it. Do you drive a truck or do you do you have to walk a path.
Speaker 3: I walk, and the last thing I want to say about walking, yea, me is that people are very scared when they drive, even though there's no car coming on the other side. They won't go over the yellow line.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, yeah, it's crazy. Yeah, they were rather the side swipe a vehicle that's parked there, or maybe if you'll pulled over to deliver some mail. Thanks Justin, We'll talk soon. Okay, thank you, buddy, talk to you soon. Let me go next to Jennifer and Brockton. Hey, John for welcome. You're next on nightside.
Speaker 4: Hi Dan, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm fine, Jennifer. I think I'm absolutely right on this. What do you think?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, you have some good points. I get you about it being an arbitrary and you know you NEBA could call in on you and that's not yea.
Speaker 2: It's like they're trying to have your neighbor racked you out. Jennifer Horeston has shoveled her sidewalk right.
Speaker 4: And I can that. I can see how that can be a real problem. But you know, I know that Somersville has some protections in place. I don't. I don't live in Somerville. I have some friends in Somerville, but they have an appeal process, so if you feel that it's been unfairly reported or whatever, like, there is a way to to try to navigate that. So I found that, Like when I heard it on the news the other day, I was like, hmm, this is not cool. But at the same time, like, okay, well, you know there is a process, so I was real sure by that. The other thing.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Jennifer. Hey, Jennifer, have you ever have you ever tried to take an appeal on anything in city hall? You live in Brockton, Okay, I don't know. You know, you're sitting in front of some clerk. You got to take a day off from work, or you got to take a half a day off from work to go into the clerk's office and sit in front of some clerk. And most of the clerks they could kill less, they though.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can do a lot of things by mail, now, you know. And there's also, like you know, there are other avenues. It's not always in person. So like, I don't want to jump to the conclusion that that's the only way that you can resolve that is in person.
Speaker 2: Dealing with with city with city clerks is whatever.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I hear you, I hear you. But you know, years ago when we had the snow apocalypse and then whatever, we were in the middle.
Speaker 2: Ten years ago this month, we were in the middle of snow apocalypse.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yep, and what a nightmare. And when I was I have two young girls. They're a little older now, but they're school age, so they're both in school and it was a nightmare. Kids in Broxton were walking in line, single style in the street with tons of traffic. So you know, Broxton was issuing tickets at that time, and you know, were they paid or was anything ever resolved? I don't know, but it it definitely was a It was a problem, and like, I don't know, there's got to be some sort of solution, whether the city's fumness and take care of it themselves. You know, that's not realistic either. I don't know what the solution is. But the other issue, my dad just broke his legs. My dad just like he just had surgery two days ago.
Speaker 2: Yep, from the from the snow, the storm or something, you mean.
Speaker 4: Really ice on February six. Yeah, it wasn't this storm. It was the previous one and.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 2: He on his own property or where was he?
Speaker 4: He was on his own property and yeah, they live in Homebrook. They have a dog and he, you know, was in the yard and he was there was snow on top of the ice and he was trying to clear it for the dog and didn't know. Yeah, yeah, but you know, I just I mean, that was his own property. He was taking care of it. He also takes care of the whole neighborhood.
Speaker 2: For I told your dad, Jennifer, Jennifer, how old your dad.
Speaker 4: Seventy two.
Speaker 2: Concerned?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is he is?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 2: Is it all in the cast at this point and he's in traction or something.
Speaker 4: You know, he's still in the hospital. He had surgery on Wednesday and he's coming home tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Did he break his shin bone.
Speaker 4: Fibula like by the ankle, his fibula, so the you know, the two bones that connected me to the ankle, the outer one which is thinner. Yeah it was not, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: He's okay.
Speaker 4: It could have been worse, you know, tell him.
Speaker 2: Where people out there will say a prayer for him tonight and hopefully he'll have a question.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, Hey.
Speaker 2: K Thanks so much up on my news break. So I got to let you run, but please say how to your dad for us, and and you know, it could happen to any of us, Okay. And he's out there.
Speaker 6: Trying to absolutely help help.
Speaker 2: His his puppy, his dog. And we've all.
Speaker 4: Been in you know, we have an eighty two year old neighbor across the street and he come over to help my mom, and you know, me and my daughters were over there too, and the other neighbors and you know, your help one person, they helped you back. And that's what it's all about, you.
Speaker 2: Know, absolutely, that's what neighbors are for. That's why you have to get to know your neighbors. Thanks Jen, I appreciate your call so much. Be well, Okay, thanks.
Speaker 3: You too, goodbye talk So thanks, good night.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got the news coming up. I also have a two lines at six point seven ninety and one at six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty, So light it up. I want to hear from some folks in Somerville. I think, don't be afraid. You can use a different name if you want, so you're not going to be ratted out by the thought police in Somerville or the snow police. Let me put it like that. Back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This, It's Nightside with Dan Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Let's keep rolling. You're going to go to Bill in Boston. Hey, Bill, appreciate your calling in. Thanks for your patience. You're next on Nightside.
Speaker 5: Hi Dan, My mom and grandma grew up between Davis Square and Deal Square in Somerville.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and uh so, I'm very familiar with the area.
Speaker 5: I want to throw this out on the constitutional level. Sidewalks for a property that was usually belonged to the homeowner that the city took years ago because they want to people to be able to walk without getting hit by cars on the street. But it was an eminent domain process where they would seize the property of the homeowners and the homeowners would lose a portion of their property because the city said we're taking it, We're putting on sidewalks.
Speaker 8: But nowhere did any city ever.
Speaker 5: Tell people, oh, when you're seventy five years old and eighty years old, you have to keep.
Speaker 8: The sidewalks open for us. We're taking your property.
Speaker 2: Yep. The constitutional points, great points, great points, And I mean for me, I'm going on really the practical point of view that if you're an older person, look, you know if and by the way, I don't care if you're twenty five years old and have the strength in your in your hands of a mason, and you're you know, six foot three and you're sculpted, try try getting rid of that snow once it's turned to ice. It's time. It's tough.
Speaker 5: My grandmother was a widow in her eighties and I used to come buy a house and she's out there trying to clean things, and it's crazy. You know, this is where cities go overboard, because it's a matter of you hit the you hit the nail on the head. It's about raising revenue.
Speaker 8: They want to lose some money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all it is, that's all it is. It means, you know, one more public servant. They'll use the word public. We'll be able to hire another public servant who's probably the brother in law of some city councilor or someone like that. If you know what, someone cant who needs a job. Yeah. I just think it's so unfair. And if I was in some of it, I'd really be upset and I'd be calling the mayor's office and look, you have a situation where you set it up where they expect people to call three one one and ran out their neighbor. How about that? Oh yeah, argument with your neighbor? Are you you have a little bit of an issue with your neighbor? You call them up three one one, Hey, you know, check out such and such, you know atle sidewalk? How about that? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Can I?
Speaker 8: Can I divert? Can I divert? For one second? There's a neighborhood in Boston. Yeah, there's a neighborhood in.
Speaker 5: Brighton, Boston, close to Boston College and it's an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood where they have no parking four hours before and after BC games and this neighborhood they're all Orthodox Jewish people. And uh, nobody watched a mile and a half from this neighborhood a pass from the from Chestnut Hill AB to the ballgame. But the City of Boston sweepstown ticket and tagging.
Speaker 8: And I was down visiting a friend.
Speaker 5: Dan and I'm not Jewish, but my friend is Jewish, and somebody was tagging the next door neighbor to this.
Speaker 8: Woman who is.
Speaker 5: A rabbi in training, and he came out politely to ask, and I pulled my cell phone out and I I put it in his face and I said, I'm gonna WBZ and take your picture if you if you tag this car, and he got in his car and he ran off.
Speaker 2: So you saved the rabbi and training a ticket. Okay, good for you.
Speaker 5: You know, it was all about money.
Speaker 8: It had nothing to do with it. And nobody goes to the VC games.
Speaker 5: From Chestnut Hill to have your you know, down down the BC and it's.
Speaker 2: All exactly you know, I know exactly where it is. That's a long walk. That is a long walk. That's what it is. It's a revenue stream, simple as that. Hey, Bill, appreciate the call very much. We'll talk soon, okay, Hey.
Speaker 8: Hey, you take care, Okay, thanks, good night.
Speaker 2: All right, one line there at six one, seven, two five four to ten thirty, and I got a couple at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. For some reason, a lot of people don't remember these six month, seven nine three one ten thirty. We're talking about snow shoveling in Summerville and at the risk if you don't do it. And by the way, it's just not snow, it's ice. That is virtually impossible to move right now. It's it's not going to move for another couple of weeks, and they are going to be able to pick off people in Somerville and charge them one hundred bucks, two hundred bucks, three hundred bucks revenue stream. And it's just it's it's sad. I feel badly for people in Somerville to have to deal with this, particularly folks who have some disabilities and some folks who are a little bit older. And there have been people who have collapsed from shoveling snow. But in Somerville, they don't really care. They were the politicians over there. They're your progress who are who are just looking to to grab as much money as they can and get you for something. Next, they'll they'll have a thing, I'm sure probably coming up on grass cutting. If you don't cover the grass, if you don't cut your grass to a certain length, they'll be able to penalize you as well. Coming back on the night Side.
Speaker 1: Now bent to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z the news.
Speaker 2: Radio, keep rolling to fill in Boston, Phil. I think I know you well enough to know you're gonna be upset about this, Phil.
Speaker 9: No, I'm just I'm just hoping the bike lanes.
Speaker 2: Were right exactly. Yeah, let's find the people.
Speaker 9: When you call me, I mean you when you were talking about how you were able to channel the water so it goes downhill. That's what happened to me. I was channeling the water, so we'll come down into the into the gutter and go down the street. It worked out good wall to figure it out, but in the process I try to keep that damn kind of strong so it wouldn't break down. And when I drove out the cay, I tore up the plastic pieces. So I gotta figure out out. But can't they put I mean then someone someone mentioned by rock sall a pail with you can't buy rock rock salt melts is going out the door before this even happened.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm told that because it was a light snow the last few winters that the rock salt manufacturers had kind of cut back on how much rock salt manufactured. So yeah, that's still well.
Speaker 9: Filers given tickets right wonderable back of the Blizzard of seventy eight and give everybody to was stuck on the expressway tickets park in the expressway.
Speaker 2: I mean you today today they would do that. I think that the sty there, I.
Speaker 9: Mean, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Well, they look at they look at all of us as nothing other than at MS.
Speaker 9: Pry a ticket, you get another hundred dollars ticket. You can't make this. This unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Look, you go to the store. They want to charge you now for paper bags, they want to charge you for plastic bags, everything, everything, And now you say, well, it's a nickel or a dime.
Speaker 9: They got like maybe twenty spots the park on the street to go to the local guy there, and then they got an eight story apartment and going up over garage. That should be a lot of fun. I mean is I don't want to get But the reason I calls when you mentioned about you want, you're not your way to shovel. So what kind of the water will kind of blend in with We're.
Speaker 2: Trying to push the water because then the water would would melt some of the snow. But it was so cold, I mean it was over by four o'clock in the afternoon. The water was saying, we're freezing up here. No, but if you've heard the Phraseville. You're gonna nickel and dime someone. That's what they do to you. They nickel and dime you what it's a one hundred dollars ticket for the poor people in Summerville, or it's five or ten cents for a bag at the store. I mean, give me a break. What's wrong is welcome to Massachusetts. They get you coming and going just with this. They only tax they only tax two things in Massachusetts, Phille.
Speaker 9: But we're gonna fight them. We try to fight these people. We kill. We kill the fourth of strangers coming in town. Fourth of they my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Just remember this, Phil, We're lucky. They only they only tax two things, anything that moves and anything that doesn't move.
Speaker 9: They have speedbuts on the Allen deal Rose. I guess it's nice of the fuck realized school, Savaria. They took them down a few days because they people come playing. They gottall if you.
Speaker 2: If you're an ambulance trying to get someone to the hospital, you don't need a lot of speed. Phil, I got a round, I got people are backed up here, I got full lives audios. Thank you, my friend. Let me go next to Rosslyn and Maldon. Hi, Roslyn, How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm fine? Thank you?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. What do you think? I'm glad you live in Maldon and not in Somerville. Please don't tell me Maldon's doing the same thing.
Speaker 7: As far as I know, Yes, I think we are closed to shovel are sidewalks. But I don't think it is six hours. I think it's I'm not sure. I think it's either twelve or twenty four.
Speaker 2: But have you shoveled your sidewalked in this week?
Speaker 7: I wist certainly have. And one has to do it before it freezes and becomes ice. And I also live without I also live without a car, and I'm a senior citizen, and so I think we need to see this from the point of view of pedestrians. You know, I walk to work, I have to walk to the tee, I have to walk to groceries. I think homeowners do their own snow shoubling, raking, mowing.
Speaker 2: So your side, your spl just so I know, grossling, your sidework is shoveled.
Speaker 6: Good for you, Yes it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How big? How long is your sidewalk? It's a long sidewalk or.
Speaker 7: Notably long. No, it's in front of a two family house.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, do you do it yourself or do you find some local kid to and pay him a few bucks?
Speaker 7: I do it myself. Once in a while a neighbor will have done it with a snowblower before I get out there, but I would. I'm always sure that it gets done. So well, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm happy for you. I just think that this storm's this series of storms, particularly you know, the rain and then it froze solid, and then it snowed, and then you had ice. I mean, hats off to you, Rosslyn. I can't argue with you. You must have been out there right away. Hats off to you. I think it's been a tough, tough set of storms to deal with in the last few weeks. It's not your traditional yah snowstorm. Yeah. So did you use rock salt and everything? Were you able to use? Yeah? I assume did you use rock salt and all that or just just.
Speaker 7: Out the stores had run out?
Speaker 2: Good for you, Rosslyn, Hats off to you. Okay. I can't argue with you on this one, and I know you didn't get fined, so that's good. Okay. Thank you, thanks, good night. You should get you should get Citizen of the Year in Maldon. Thank you. Let me go next to down in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Down next on nights. I go ahead, hello, well yeah, hey, don welcome. It's a strong start to the call. Hi, Don welcome. Can you hear me?
Speaker 6: Thank you? Yayah, go right ahead, Portsworth, New ports with New Hampshire. We they all pile the sidewalks almost the same time as rogues are blowed, and most of the sidewalks are usually in pretty good shape. But I also wanted to mention that rock salt only melts down about thirty degrees. We put it on ice. You know. Lately, the it's been below thirty most every day, you know absolutely.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this when you talk about the little I know, the little plows, the mini plows you're talking about. I know that they have those like in downtown areas. Do you live in the downtown area of Portsmouth? Are you outside the city itself? And I'm not exactly sure how how big portsmouths is as a cityhood. Did they bring those plows out the neighborhoods?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'm about four about four miles from downtown and then they plow. I mean they pile all the sidewalks where I am out here.
Speaker 2: But how did you ask us? How did they do that?
Speaker 6: In pay?
Speaker 2: Do you pay heavy duty real estate taxes up there or what? How did they do that? That's pretty good.
Speaker 6: A lot of people complain a lot of people complain the matter. Real estate taxes are higher than mass Us.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 6: I think they are more higher. I think they are higher here in port than they are preventy summer availables and more. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, if you pay a little extra and you save some money on that, that's that's a good thing. They always do things better in New Hampshire. New Hampshire is a great state to live in. It's a much No, I'm serious, you're you're blessed to be living in New Hampshire.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people in Massachusetts are moving up there, you know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Portsmouth does a lot of things we have, you know, we have a higher higher real estate tax, but I think we get a lot for the money.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Good for you? All right? Don Hey, thanks for joining us. Have I heard from you before us? It's your first time calling.
Speaker 6: The first time.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do a lot of clause. Thank you, thanks so much. Keep, thank you, listen, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: If you want, I did. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's okay. We go finish your thought, finish your thought.
Speaker 6: No, I was gonna say, we always use the calcium chloride when a construction for anything below thirty degrees to melt the ice or keep the concrete from freezing and all the ready mix and all that. Okay, gotcha, And calcium chloride is much better, more money, but it works fifteen degrees lower, you know.
Speaker 2: Good for you. Thanks John, appreciate the tip. Talk to you soon. Have a great night. We've got to take a break. I'm going to stick with this John and Hannover and Angelo New you guys stay. They will stick with this for a little while and then we will switch off. I got one other topic that I want to talk about. We're going to talk about the baggage bin battles on airplanes. Uh, we'll get to that, I promise. Where we're just kind of have a nice, fun, easy night. You guys stay there. If not, give us a call. Six one, seven, two, five four ten thirty six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty, we're talking about the battle in Somerville where they are picking their residence pockets because they haven't they haven't shoveled the ice caked streets of Somerville. Back after the ten o'clock news