Speaker 1: Hey, just quickly, fans want to let you know that a lot of this episode was recorded before we hit the ground in Minneapolis for Summer Slam, for our tour of Verne Gania's house, our special event at Mall of America. All of the excitement we brought to the Twin Cities, and we did a ton of on the ground reporting and interviewing about Hulk's AWA days and just verne stature in the city. All of it in its entirety is available in travelog format on our Patreon of course Patreon dot com slash the Lapsed Fan, but also wanted to let you know that we were able to post several interviews. Hopefully you've seen them in the main feed. We called it the complete Hulk Hogan Tales from Minneapolis all put together in one episode, with folks that were recalling Hulk in the AWA and beyond, Baron von Rashki, Greg Gania. We finally got Greg. We talked to Dan Spivey about Hogan. We talked to the grappler Len Denton about Hogan. We talked to John Nord who had great insight, the Berserker, the Viking, call them what you will about Hulk in the AWA. We also talked to mister Kennedy Slash Anderson, who of course worked with Hulk and TNA when the Hogan Bischoff regime was going. So in case you missed those or weren't quite sure what that was in the feed, that's some one of a kind content we're bringing you as part of the complete and we also included as part of that our tour of Vern Gania's Lake Minnetonka mants which still stands but as an office for the Parks District that all those years ago took the property by eminent domain. We actually got to talk to Greg a bit about that if you listened to the great piece. And then we included audio of our house tour of the Ganya Mansion from our homie Zach at the Three Parts Three River Parks District, who was able to take us through all of them, the ins and outs of what it took to procure the property and how Vern pushed back. It's fascinating stuff, so we take you through that. And we also got some time at the bar at Mancini's, which is where a lot of the AWA wrestlers would go back in the day after the matches at Saint Paul, who had a ton of recollections going all the way back to the seventies of how Vern and Wally Carbo were in the territory, all the guys that came through, Hulk showing up, and how the way he would deal with the public at the Steakhouse differed from the way someone like an Andre the Giant would deal with them. It's stuff we're pretty proud of and we're only able to do because of your support. Plus the Mall of America show, and if you would like to hear audio of our live show at the Mall of America, including not only the conversation with Wade Keller, but three great former Mall of America executives who were at the Mall when WCW was putting together the first Nitro in nineteen ninety five and getting Postumania organized and all of that. They joined us as part of a panel discussion. It was wonderful to get their memories, which were really cool about dealing with these wacky wrestlers to set up that one of a kind event at Mall of America. One of them even served in kind of the transition phase of Jesse Ventorre's run as governor in Minnesota in nineteen ninety eight and had some great stories about let's just say how differently it felt when a wrestler got into the governor's office. So the Mall of America show, the audio of that is available for per just on Patreon. If you're a member of our MOAT tier, you're already in receipt of that file and thanks very much for your support, and those out there in the Solar System who are in that tip top tier might consider upgrading, because that's the kind of stuff we make sure to keep in mind when it comes to who gets what as we try to make all this somehow pencil out. But if you'd like to purchase audio of that live show, as we've done for our prior live shows, we've made available the audio for purchase as well if you're not in the MOAT tier, So do encourage you to check all that out at patreon dot com. Slash the lapsed fan at the Ball of America side of the first Nitro, of course, we welcomed in Wade Keller from the Pro Wrestling Torch was in Twin Cities, guy who had wonderful recollections of covering the opening of the mall the first Nitro in nineteen ninety five, as well as the opening of Hulk Coogan's famed and failed Pastamania concept in the food court of the mall. And then we trek down to the rotunda that you've all seen on the first episode of Nitro in ninety five, and we're able to surprise our fans with an appearance by Alex Luger, who, as best as he could, recollected his walking out as the big unforgettable surprise on that first episode of Nitro. It's it's a weekend we won't soon forget and want to thank everybody for it, and wanted to put this message into this episode because a lot of the things that we were able to do, and again a lot of this was recorded before we hit the ground. But we'll be back soon with you looking back on that experience and continuing our march through the Complete hul Cogan.
Speaker 2: It's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast special report. The Lapsed Fan presents the Complete Hull Cogan, a real American story.
Speaker 3: We're brought to you by Garage Pierre Well.
Speaker 1: Continue to rampage through the year nineteen eighty one on the Complete Hulk Cogan as the a way is firmly now Hogan Country Boss. It's Hogan Land.
Speaker 4: Ah, yes it is, yes, uh name I think of the name Hogan Soda.
Speaker 1: Hogan is that?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is that what they ended up doing with real American beer? That's one thing. I don't think he ever did a Hogan soda. That's true. That's true. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I don't think he'd need a Hulka Pop or anything like the right.
Speaker 1: But the Twin Peak Cities for sure, as he's now firmly established as a baby face, he's cupping the ear, he's slamming fat guys, he's taking on Jesse Ventura, he's using his powers for good. It's a whole new page for Hulk Hogan and there really is no turning back. But there's also the Japan side of the coin, isn't there? Yeap, Yes, there is. There always is, because we first started to detect there's always there's always the yen the end of the yang. Is that what you meant? Yes?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: And we detected a lot of that first signs of experimenting with baby face stuff there in Japan, where for some reason they just took to him as this charismatic blonde guy jin massive muscles who came around frequently enough that they could kind of get a sense that this guy really likes Japan. But the Kanji spelling of his name on his black trunks and everything, and teaming up with a legend to those people like Stan Hansen. But it's kind of an awkward deal because vern Gangha, forever and ever, dating back to when he was active as a wrestler, was aligned with Giant Baba and the All Japan Pro Wrestling Office, mortal enemies of Antonio and Oki and New Japan Pro Wrestling right but by now Hulkgan is firmly established as a mainstay foreign superstar in New Japan, having just wrestled as we talked about last time and Tonio and Oki one more time in a rather even keeled bout with Hogan showing a ton of babyface fire and a sign of what was to come. So there is that promotional war in the Land of the Rising Sun that Hulkegan advertently or inadvertly kind of is going to find himself in the middle of. As nineteen eighty one starts to draw to a close and summer becomes fall and It's going to play out in a way that positions Hulk Hogan as big as he feels in the AWA at this point, boss as big as he felt in Chase Stadium position Hulk Hogan be that much bigger of a star when you consider where he stands John, because there's going to be talent raids, there's going to be subterfuge, and the Hulkster is really going to have a decision to make here in nineteen eighty one, at a time when everything seems to be changing. Japan is going to force him to make a decision. And it's you know, it's kind that driving.
Speaker 4: Bromer need Bean Bean Bean ne ween ween.
Speaker 1: Hands in the Giant and the Butcher too, Yes, very much a trinity of top flight opponents for whole Cocin and Japan ones that helped make him in so many ways. And you wonder how the Butcher is the Butcher not in all Japan. Well, things are about to change on that front as well. We are going to turn to is the Butcher even created yet? Oh God, happened till nineteen ninety four? Butcher Butcher d Boulder and a w A.
Speaker 6: You mean.
Speaker 1: It certainly butchered his name in the press, the dizzy Butcher at Boulder. Yeah, what's the worst quality a butcher could have? Dizziness exactly. It's like the dizzy proctologist, dizzy dizzy ed butcher beefcake. So this is going to be momentous. And the hul Cog and Stan Hanson duo that's done so much to establish the hulkstors of bona fide superstar in Japan is about to split, and it's going to have everything to do with the shifting sands of Japanese wrestling, which always seems to be about a decade ahead of the United States in terms of the way politics develop, the way alliances form, YEP, the way the entering style evolves, and everybody talks about precursors to the nWo happening in New Japan. Who you know, an Oki loved him an invading force man. He loved nothing more than an angle where a bunch of wrestlers still held allegiance to another company than New Japan and wrestled in New Japan, be at.
Speaker 4: The UWF, be at the IWE.
Speaker 1: And all the different factions, the shooting factions that sprouted up and we're going to get a taste of that actually, because Hogan and Hansen and what will be the final match in which they serve as a team that we will look at here shortly on the complete Hulkgan takes on two guys who are associated with a rival group called the IWE that had kind of faltered. It had been around forever to where Andre got to start in Japan, but once it faltered, they still kept the three letters alive. Imagine that. Imagine if you could keep you no, I don't know, WCW alive and make people care I know, and you will care about the wrestlers who wear the badge. Japan always knew how to do it, and that will be another cross current in the position Hulkgan finds himself in. But if we're going to do this, you know, we don't have access to Kire in Eachuban. We don't have access to the Sapporo Beers, but we do have access to an ab the premium logger.
Speaker 4: Yes we do.
Speaker 1: That has got us all the way here to the fall. It's crisp, it's crushable, it's garage beer boss.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're damn fucking right, it is. And there's nothing better, something better for these while while we may be in the fall on the home and timeline, it is still yeah, true red hot blazing summer and we need to cool down.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's hard, especially heading to Minnie and London. We're going to We're going to be in need of quenching, and our friends of Garage Beer helped make that possible and help make the Complete Hulk Hogan possible. And we'll never shy away from reminding you about that. Garage Beer is the fastest growing beer brand in the United States. Proud partner with that cast, also helping bring you the Patreon live calls that you want to be enjoying through the summer. Crisp, crushable and brewed for good times. Garage Beer is a no nonsense four percent ABV lagger with just ninety five calories of carbs, and it comes in two crowd favorite varieties, Classic in Lime. Go to their beer finder at Drink Garagebeer dot com, get your hands on one, let us know at the Lapsed van at gmail dot com that you've converted, and remind Garage Beer that it's a two way street. When you support an effort like the Complete you end up feeling all the more complete yourself. And I think there are many, many, many members of the Solar system that can certainly attest to that. But we're all business on this leg because nineteen eighty one is just popping in so many ways. He's in Japan, he's in LA he's in WWF, he's in Awa, he's in Florida, he's in Memphis. He just can't stop, he can't stop not letting us feel comfortable, right, not letting us put down stakes in a particular area for too long. As long as it might seem, I still am surprised when we're already at a point when he's leaving a territory. It's like, really, that's that's all he did, And it's not nothing, but it's it doesn't match the memory of or at least the impression you have understanding the broad strokes of his career and feeling like he spent I don't know, five six years in a given territory. It's like maybe a year and a half, is it, really? Yeah, I mean pretty much long November seventy nine to Yeah, I guess so A eighty one. I mean it's a little more than that, but that's kind of crazy. The ABA in full swing in the New Japan situation about to be put to the test. He returns after where we left you last time, the Body Slam Challenge match with Jerry Blackwell in Minneapolis to New Japan in October of nineteen and eighty one. October eighth to be exact as New Japan ran yet another MSG series with foreign wrestlers. Is Actually it's towards the Tokon series, built more around New Japan versus the aforementioned IWE group in October. Starting on October eighth, Stan Hanson and Hulkog team again against the dynamic duo of Dino Bravo and Ricki Choshu Boss. I know you've wanted to see those two team up for a very long time.
Speaker 4: It's it's a dream. It's a dream combination if I've ever had one, and I can't tell you, I can't tell you how tickled pink I am that it actually fucking occurred in Japan.
Speaker 1: October ninth, nineteen eighty one at Correkuwen Hall, Hogan defeats Saijisaka Guchi by counting out. October tenth, he defeats strong Kobyashi in Yokohama October eleventh, and a non Tokashima Anoki, Kantaro Hoshino and Strong Kobyashi take on the team of Hulk Kogan, Dick Murdock and Steve Travis that ends without a winner as a double count out. October twelfth, nineteen eighty one. In Kochi, Hogan defeats Strong Kobyashi again his very first televised opponent in New Japan. Here on the rematch October thirteenth, and Kurde Hyoshima Anoki Choshu in Fujinami defeat Billy Krusher, Hulkogan and Steve Travis in a six man tag October fourteenth, nineteen eighty one, and Kumamoto has Anoki Choshi in Kobyashi defeating Dino Bravo, Billy Krusher, and Hulkogan. October fifteenth, eighty one. In Saseeba Nagasaki Anoki Choshu in Fujinami defeat Billy Krusher, Cogan and Tim Taltree. October sixteenth, eighty one, Oita Hogan and Dick Murdoch the fifth the team of Yoshiaki, Fujiwara and Strong Kobayashi. So that's the tour that he's making his way back to Japan for and again, these frequent visits are winning him a spot in the hearts and the minds of the Japanese fans, and perhaps we'll hear that come through as we take a look at some tape here on this installment of the Complete it's October ninth, nineteen eighty one, New Japan Pro Wrestling, Tokyo. It's New Japan versus iwe Hulk Hogan and Stan Hansen for what will be the last time, And I think, wow, so last time on tape that we have with these two wrestle as a tag team. As we go through November, I think we're going to note another instance where they team together. Maybe we'll be able to declear the final one, but it's been it's been a lot. Before we click play. I just like your thoughts and impressions having come into the Complete Hulkgan presumably cold about the Stan Hanson Hulkogan history. Yes, well, what have you made of what you've seen? Well?
Speaker 4: Given that, I mean, excuse me, what to me? First of all, I certainly have loved the the two of them together. The two of them together was never something that I was aware of it was. It was probably the firstest thing from my mind, to be quite honest. But given how they would wrestle each other in matches in Japan later on and be featured on WWEE shows you know in Japan, and on fucking Hulk Mania tapes from Japan, you know, like you know that that stand. I'm it adds so much more flavor and history and story to the relationship and really adds an interesting dynamic to them going from being a team to competing each other in actually, in many ways, I guess you could say, I don't know if we're gonna see a if we're going to see a turn here in this match, but hell, it follows the typical Hulk Hogan storyline if they do, if you turned on each other, or at least in the same regard, you have a Hogan friend becoming a Hogan enemy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't quite go down that way, but I think it might have. I mean, we see them building it in New York in early nineteen year and one with Fred Lassey's siding with Stan Hansen, and you know, the magazines and some of the interviews intimating that Hulk Cogan doesn't necessarily appreciate that, and again indications that if he'd stayed in New York a little longer, they may have turned him face there, might not know how to go to Urn to go through this whole reaturation, right, But yeah, it's it's interesting. So you knew about the Hogan Hanson match. I don't remember. We talked about it years ago on the show. You remember the Hogan Hansen match from Japan being on the Whole Comanitia VHS tape.
Speaker 4: It was on hulk Comania six. No, no, either Hukemania six and Holmania Forever. But it's the show from the uh you know, the the Egg Dome, the Summit, the Summit Show. Yes, yeah, it's that match, that main event, and it's I honestly that's that when we did the when we did the Paying Off the Pacific and we did that show, that was I believe it that the version that I put on our compilation of that of that event is from the Whole Comania whichever whole Comedic cassette that was from.
Speaker 1: And so your point is, yeah, you see that and it's like, Wow, he wrestled Hanson in Japan, not realizing how much more that would have meant to the Japanese wrestling fans who had a memory.
Speaker 4: I thought it was simply the greatest match I've ever seen Hulk Cogan wrestle in my life. At that point, I didn't realize there was history leading up to it. They go pretty hard, what's so great about it? I mean, it's just it's Hogan on a different level. It's it's it's really early eighties Hogan, the aggressiveness of early eighties Hogan in against an even harder opponent, and it's you know, as as as early nineties. Ww. You know, fans really getting started in that era. We definitely did not see the aggressive that, the the kicking ass Hull Cogan. That was far far removed from our from us beginning our fandom. So to see that happening even then, to know that that happened in nineteen ninety is insane. Yeah, it is insane. And it wasn't scheduled.
Speaker 1: It was to be Hogan and Terry Gordy, but Terry Gory balked at the last minute about doing the job, so Stan Hansen was basically imported back into New Japan for one night only, which we're about to find out he didn't necessarily leave with the most graceful terms last time. Yeah, to go from New Japan to All Japan. So that was even more significant about it is that you know, Stan really came up off the bench because it was his old tag team partner Hulk Cogan, who by that point of course was the biggest star in the wrestling world. But I don't think if it was Hull Cogan, Stan Hanson steps in the ring that night to save the main event, so to speak. So it really is poetic, and who knows when we get there, but when we do, look forward to seeing that one again, because I think you're absolutely right about the standout qualities of that match a Hulk Hogan's body of work. But let's uh, let's light a candle October nine eighty one Hogan and Hansen, Bravo and Ricky Shoshou And I should say when I kinda waxed poetic about the significance of Hulk Hogan pinning Ricky Choshue one two three in a fan cam match, we saw the footage last time we covered the Japan leg of nineteen eighty one on the complete back in the spring, I kind of was lacking the context that Ricky Choshue hadn't really established himself yet in New Japan as the Ricky Choshu. As sure, he hadn't gone and done the angle where he rebels against an Noki. He didn't have the pencil, he didn't have a ton of classic matches under his belt. He was pretty much just like an upstart, still establishing himself. So in retrospect it's huge that Hogan Pinchoshu, But at the moment in time in early nineteen eighty one, sure not necessarily some kind of coronation, but definitely a big win. So here we go three two one play. Oh, it's gonna introduce him. Get some walk out news. Yeah, recognize this. I don't know this.
Speaker 3: Toom boom, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, you know, looking like Mark.
Speaker 1: Got diffin vis the man him his hair, neat stuff. Oh there's the pop wow for the opposition. Listen in here me got one more time eat from manson cowboy hat hold goody strong hunting So you know I didn't hold them enough getting my whole goldber again? Please, how do we have better fun on?
Speaker 6: Someone?
Speaker 1: Can the cow boy hat off?
Speaker 7: Swinging at the fans?
Speaker 1: Think the big Americans walk out into the spotlight the US and as go up. Yeah, there is no.
Speaker 4: There is there is no face actions done by fucking Stan Hansen.
Speaker 1: He is just killing true buddy. Oh yeah, he's just looking at his opponent, scaring a whole for him. He barely looks at the people. But they love it. They like being abused. That's the story of a wrestling fan right there. That that fucking pop Paul Hogan, Old and John spreading the cape wide. He found the fucking people. Yes, huge reception for Stan Hansen. He's so hilarious to me, like American risk certain ones, Yes for we say it or told us. If they get the sense that you're going to come over a lot and they won't just three once a year, and that you actually like in your spect Japan and yeah, try to understand its ways. They will absolutely support me to the end. Seeing pathway that a you know, a well of spring a Keny and Lago fall. Right, It's like I've learned the language. Try to move there in the world. Came about as close as you could to moving there in nineteen eighty one and nineteen eighty two was We're about to discover and the money was just showing a pub who all dirty massa and Hogan.
Speaker 7: Was all about that, and we have the girlfriend, you know whatever heamever he wants that little smirk from the apron from Stan Hansen as he slaps old Terry Bolet.
Speaker 1: And sends him into battle. It's what you chose, you dell sounds, runaway, Chosho and Hogan circle that ocean blue matt. You know it's Japan and elbow Hogan shows just showshot to the.
Speaker 8: Corners, put me up pumping.
Speaker 1: Ocean blue matt with the white trim, and that's Japan. Oken snatches an arm, goes to work, standing in key.
Speaker 8: Locking the bout to the gay and you eat you on sound, and.
Speaker 1: Then a lot of terrible.
Speaker 6: Much fighting.
Speaker 1: Logan has chosh you in an arm bar hands just slips in the ring and he kicks chosh you in the face. You let drop across the arm by the whole stir here, Frank Ruski now says, trying to communication between Hogan, Enhance and here comes the Lariat.
Speaker 5: The guys.
Speaker 1: Both looking like they're forty five.
Speaker 4: By the way, it's.
Speaker 1: Another thing to the Japanese fan. I still care if you look old, you know, I know they're probably one of their both like twenty nine twenty more years of youth. As at the Japanese Wrestling Stard's a dropping chosh with back guelbel choshie and opting to tag out. Do you know Bravo needle.
Speaker 8: Now, guys, do you know on his knee.
Speaker 1: He who need the ropes fans goes for a wild chop Bravo ducks and puts the dukes up fighting temba kwalm and I know Bravo here, red trunks, black hair, just I don't know, looking like someone that would pay you a visit, and a transnd looking for cigarettes. Oh for sure, leather jacket. M. That's the same outfit.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's pretty much the same look he had when he faced Brett Hart and ninety two.
Speaker 1: Interesting the last time. That's a good, that's a good. Red, red tights, dark hair again and pushes off to break the Headlock's Bravo flooring the big Texan with a shoulder tackle over the top and from the other end at the back elbow of hands and shots. Bravo for sure. Only Bravo bumps like that. It's like he has randing Bravo.
Speaker 4: The way the way he bumps he like he doesn't get the full the full ninety degree rotation to flat fat like he kind of like he kind of like jumps and flicks to his ass.
Speaker 1: He does right. Hogan back in legal slams, Bravo takes off light drop on the money, light drop scores. Hogan covers one shades of the build up to Summerson nineteen ninety. Here at the vibe, you are getting.
Speaker 4: Bravo and Hogan for sure, Earthquakes best buddy Choshue.
Speaker 1: Making the save. However, Bravo reversus the whip sends Hogan in the corner laying into one of se him hard knife FETs chops.
Speaker 4: Rickens Chosho just we get the name right.
Speaker 1: Oh, Dravo a big atomic drop on lka. Ogan goes down, clutching his ass, body slamed by Bravo to Hogan. Hanson just lumbers up behind him and steads hauling off. You can see where the move set comes from for the Big Texan in the N sixty four games, can't you. Yes, Everything that Stan Hansen does is hold a B down, hold b or hold a B down together. That's it. One of those two organ using that opening to take back over on Bravo, shooting him off the ropes, hitting into that big high moon. Now Hogan and Hanson double team and Bravo sets send him off double arriat Hanton. Now legal covers Bravo, but Shoshoe there to break it up. Hanson backs him up. Sho, you's so undersized. Yes, basically his head is at the navel of Hansen his hands and corners him and starts beating his ass. Hogan gets a cheap shot in behind the referees back is Hanson applies the nerve hole now to a seated Dono. Bravo.
Speaker 7: Yes, Stan Hansen and Hulk Hlven, what a chapter in the complete.
Speaker 1: I think he helped help clot Can find his bad ass. I think he really did. Yeah, yeah, I agree. And then there with the doubt of the style of Stan Hansen gives you license to see how far you can go, even though you know you're not actually a fighter, you know, convincing the people you might be kind. Although the Bravo gets free, you almost knocks Handsome over again with the shoulder block. But it's the hip toss. Yeah, and Stan Hansen, it says Bravo, retreating to the corner, I look at this RICKI chosh is legal. Look at Hanson, but his eyes wide, arms wide, like he's on the offensive line at West Texas State. A tentative Chosh. You're looking for a way in here. On Stan Hansen comes for the single shut down by the front headlock of Hanson as they hit the corner, Josh slapping a bitch. Hanson just looks at him. Just kicked on.
Speaker 4: I mean listen, because he's like, oh, shoot, you just been canching coldies beef.
Speaker 1: Motherfucker. Yes, does off with his bolo forearms Hans and sets him off the ropes, shows you holds on, I've crossed up big time.
Speaker 4: Now wow, oh we got a fucking body claw here.
Speaker 1: You're doing the iron claw. Yeah, the the rib version makes sense for the Texan absolutely the beef.
Speaker 4: If I'm not mistaken, I believe that, uh that Stan Hands's iron claw is braised when he does the rib claw.
Speaker 1: Altra legal now throwing big right hands. Those punches are dialed in now. The punches look good. Poking hits the ropes, running elbow at the top of cho Sho's head. He's modified the axe bomber a little bit. He's hitting him with the elbowed out, so the crooked of the arm big verte. The suplex by Hulk Hogan. I don't know about you, boss, but hull kit and vertical suplex in Japan will never get old. No I thought it does not back up under the ribsh whip back, Carol over the chest, puts down Shoshoe. Hogan tries to drop the elbow, but Shoshoe avoids it and tags him Dino. Bravo again, shades of nineteen ninety Summer Slam. Not a Summer and Slam proper, but the build up. I mean, yes, I guess Bravo was there, and he was there. He was his uh he was Wow, holy shit, he dropped kick Hanson right off his feet. Then Bravo lighting. It's going off like a bona fide baby face taking on both Hogan and Hansom. Look at the corner, but Hogan gets the knee up on a charging Bravo combination of laughter and cheering from the crowd on that one. As Dino ran head first, Hogan drops the elbow and gets two. What such a fast paced Hogan is cuping. It's all action, yes, any resting, And that's the thing about these these Japan matches. Specifically, it's non stop holding his non stock in Japane Hanson with a drop kick, un shooting Bravo off the rope that was going to happen and leaving his feet. Have we seen him leave his feet before? I have not seen him do a drop kick. I don't think ever. Huge knee drop crushes Bravo only good for two Stan Hansen keeping the pressure on crowd, respectful of Bravo's heart as he shut off the ropes, drop down, Bravo kicks, hands him down and tags Joe shoots with the double team. Bravo scooping a slam, puts down Hanson show shoes thinking about coming off the top and Hansen was in position, so he just dropped down to his feet on the map Irish wet back drop, goes Hansome. That's a big boy taking that back body drop. Yes, the corner chow. She's trying to monkey flip and Hanson holds onto the ropes and they love it, yepy love How nonchalantly Hanson shut that down. It's like, uh, It's like Samoa and Joe when he walked as when he walks away from somebody going off the top rope exactly what there is the greatest fucking thing ever by standing hands and plants Ricky Choshi. That was a handsome plucks with that way. Like Japan, they slam you and they pick you back up and do it again. It's right. What areot with the warmed up elbow pad cover two three and it's over. Wow, Handsom gets the pin Hoven and hands and raise hands together the Texas Howl take it in it lot for the Hokster. Well, I probably didn't know that it was pretty much over here in October ninth, nineteen eighty one. It certainly played out in a fitting way as they exit through the people slapping each other on their sweaty backs.
Speaker 6: Here in New.
Speaker 8: Japan, starting wisdom must when you.
Speaker 9: Talk at.
Speaker 1: Ravo, raising Chosho's hand gets a rout of applause. Chow Shoe continues to develop as a young up and comer and do Japan and that'll do it there. I believe the theme that Hogan enhancement came to the Ring to You couldn't quite hear it as we kind of reacted, but it's the theme from Battlestar Galactica. Yeah, and Maynard Ferguson. I believe it was, and I don't know if fans of the time thought that was signature. I mean, entrance music isn't really settled in the States yet. You know every show we've seen, right, they just come out, right, they just walked to the ring, and that's that certain Hulk Cogan wasn't coming to the ring to entrance music yet. He would eventually come down to the the Rocky theme, of course, after Rocky three premieres in May of nineteen eighty two. But we're not there yet, no, But in the country of Japan, Hulk is getting a taste of how much entrance music can add to the presentation, to say nothing of merchandising and all of the kind of myth making that the Japanese were so good at in terms of building up a wrestler. We've been conveying to you whenever we hit Japan on the Complete Hull Cogan. The incredible translations were getting from Andrew who's pulling weekly pro wrestling out there in the archives and discovering all of these wild things that the Japanese wrestling fans were privy to about the comings and goings of wrestlers like Hulkogan at the time that certainly stateside English speaking fans had no access to. But now we are able to put ourselves very much in the shoes of what the informed Japanese wrestling fan knew at the time that the kind of matches we just watched were going on. This from the July nineteen eighty one issue, which has a profile on hul Cogan and a ton of photos from across the tour that we were talking about, Andrew notes that they love using Hulk Hogan's window were ted to Biyassi and Madison Square Garden to hype him up, And we did see that depictographically, didn't we remember that I did, Yes, we did. That's insane. Can't read Japanese, but we certainly could understand what that illustration was getting across that it was Hulk Hogan on the rise in the United States and beating some on the caliber of Teddy Biassi and the Hallowed Halls made a big difference. Apparently. Andrew Writ's part of the Hogan Lord at the time was that he went to USC and did powerlifting. Yeah, we've talked about that Hulk Hogan two hundred one centime. There's t under forty five kilograms. It reads born nineteen fifty five in Venice Beach, California, putting him at twenty five. It says here in the summer of nineteen and eighty one, at this point he had made, according to the magazine, five visits to Japan. Is said to remove the Hey, he's twenty five, that's what it says. Oh, was he born fifty six? I thought he was born I don't think he was born fifty five. I think they have that wrong in here. Well, if he's born fifty six, he is twenty and fifty seven. Was he I think fifty six? Fifty three? Sorry, I don't know fifty three. Oh Jesus, we're both. I don't know where the hell I got fifty seven from.
Speaker 4: So he's almost but still he's still still. Okay, here's the important thing. Take a look at him, and then he's not Yeah, at thirty and he looks forty five.
Speaker 1: Looks forty five. Yeah, he just yeah. I mean, there weren't the modern hair growth supplements. There weren't I mean much to know we have counteracting the baldness effects of steroid use.
Speaker 4: I mean incident at this point's only he's only thirty thirty two's thirty two.
Speaker 1: He looks looks fifty. Yeah, he looks like a guy who's wondering if he should close the restaurant because his kids don't want to take it over. That's how old he looks.
Speaker 4: I know, he looks two steps away from retirement, right, and he's thirty two years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absurd, but he does have a full head of hair compared to Hulkogan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this point, he still looks older. His hair, his hair looks worse.
Speaker 1: So that profile there we had read on a previous edition of the Complete but it's in July and they kind of break down, you know, how he has unmatched strength and how he even surpasses that of Superstar Graham, which was so funny because in the States they're publishing an article about how he can't escape Superstar grab Shadow right exactly. Andrew tells us there's nothing in the August issue, but it's September nine eighty one. There were photos of Hulk versus Jerry Lawler from Florida, so they carried coverage after he's done with WWFM, before he goes to a wa The captions on the article and the coverage of the match. Read and you'll find photos of Hogan and white trunks wrestling Jerry Lawler in a red singlett Hulk with black kneepads from this match in Saint Petersburg, Florida, their rematch, which was not on film. But those pictures that you see were taken by the Japanese press, which was dispatched over there to cover what Hulk was up to, because he was a big enough name in Japan by this point that they would deploy resources to go cover him in the United States. So a lot of the photos we have for these early days of the Holkster in the early eighties are because of the Japanese press. Of course, Fumusaido was the reason we have those pictures of Hulk at the condo that he bought in Minneapol, standing around with Linda, eating noodles and wearing shorts, making faces using chopsticks yep captions. On this article about Hogan Lawler read Hogan pushes the King of the South. He puts the fighter in a headlock. Lawler, who was settled in Florida recently, is a speedy and powerful fighter. He had a tough time against Hogan Cogan arrived in Florida and faced off against Jerry Lawler, the Southern Champion who was rumored to be coming to Japan, at the Bayfront Center on July eighteenth. The match, as benefit as befits a showdown between two power fighters, featured no small feats and was all about brute force. Hogan repeatedly pushed the Lawler with a bear hug and a sleeper hole and ran to the seal post outside the ring in an attempt to knock him out. However, Lawler twisted his body just before the collision, causing both men to crash into the post. Both men were immediately thrown out of the ring. I believe what they mean, as both men were the match was immediately thrown out. So if you're wondering kind of like a blow by blow of that Hogan lawa rematch, which again was not on tape, that's the best we're probably going to do. They hit the floor and they Hogan starting to drive Lawler into the post. Lawler moves to the last second and both men crashed into the post, and so it's basically a double count out. October nineteen eighty one, Andrew Rebarts has a very interesting note from Hiro Matsuda about Hogan jumping to All Japan, which did not happen. No, the timeline Andrew writes works out as he was in Florida. I have also included a long form article but Vince Senior in the State of the WWF, which provides some context to his troubles. So much like you know, Grilla Monsoon would write the newspaper column in the Philadelphia newspaper, Killer Kowalski would write the column in the Boston newspaper. You know, their WWF magazine would have guest commentary columns from the wrestlers and the old veterans. Hiro Matsuda had a column like that in Weekly Pro Hogan's former trainer, and he comments thusly. In October nineteen eighty one, the month of the match, we just watched AWWA champion Nick Bockwinkle's energetic defense and Hogan's popular Larry and the AWA are also high. I heard from Dorri Funk Junior that on August fifteenth in San Antonio, Texas a Way World Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockmingle defended a title against Mill Mascaris and was disqualified over the for and over the top rope throw. However, the title was defended under title match rules. Nick then faced Pat Patterson and a title match in August twentieth in Oakland, California, winning by ringout. Nick also had a title match against Patterson in Oakland on July thirtieth, where he lost by disqualification, and this was a rematch. So yeah, that's how the fans are learning about what Nick Bockwinkel's doing. The results are reported out. Regarding Hogan Matsuda rights, it seems he was mentioned in Japan as having switched from New Japan Pro Wrestling to All Japan Pro Wrestling. What apparently Dorry, the booker for the Florida company, approached him at All Japan Pro Wrestling's request when Hogan was on a week long tour of Florida. So those matches, boss, we saw him do the promo with Gordon solely with the fan. He's meeting with Dorry.
Speaker 4: That's wild.
Speaker 1: And you know Dory and Terry were they liaisons to get wrestlers like you know, Brody and the rest who were super strong.
Speaker 4: I'm I just think we could bring you know, why be but well, you know, I'm just thinking, uh, there's an awful lot. I think that, I think what we could do instead? Why why do you why would you want to bother working for new Japan when you could work for all of Japan. You see what I'm saying. I mean, that's just that's just that's just simple logic. We're all Japan. We've got the new one there somewhere. It's all of Japan, all of Japan encompasses old and new and and middle ground Japan. So that's like Tokyo and uh.
Speaker 1: Other places in place in Japan. So I think what other places brilliantly put.
Speaker 4: Uh uh yeah, yeah, what uh you know, you know, I just I want you to just to smell it over a little bit, and you know, just just think about it, think about it, and and maybe we maybe you know, if you don't want to do it, I'm certainly not gonna I don't. I don't blame you. I don't want to push you. These are your choices, obviously, I don't. I just think I'm just trying to think about what would be best for you and and and me.
Speaker 1: In the United States of America.
Speaker 4: In the future of the United States of America, right in terms of a of a of a of a government.
Speaker 1: Dory Funk Jr. Was nothing if not a caretaker for the United States government. If we didn't establish that in the lapsed Funk, we established it here.
Speaker 4: I'm just uh, you know, these are these are these are things that that that Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Hogan has expanded mat Suda rights, who of course is Matsuda is fully ensconced in the Florida territory, basically has a piece of the office and that's his home home base. So he's cheering for the home team here, I think and kind of reporting, uh, with a degree of hopefulness that star like Hulkogan might be considering the jump. Hogan has expanded into various parts of the country. Hulk Cogan, who joined the AWA and Minneapolis from Florida in the fourth week of July. Interesting, we have August one, fourth week of July also competed. Yeah, yeah, maybe, but there might be a little bit more than we know about and that's been recorded as far as when he started there.
Speaker 4: Also, maybe maybe he started but didn't jump on television until yeah.
Speaker 1: True, maybe he's just reporting when he reported for duty, so to speak. Also competed in Oakland, where he defeated Frankie Kane and Don Stevens in a handicap match. He seems to be very popular. Now we're going to go to an article that sets the tone around Vince Senior and how he was being covered in Japan at this time as Hulk Cogan, you know, begins to establish a distance from the promoter that gave him the name Hulk Cogan and kind of set him on the course. Also had turned it over to you if you can convey what the readers of Weekly Pro were learning.
Speaker 4: Just so there we go the sunken West Coast Wrestling, Yeah, New York District and Los Angeles District, final episode the Wrestling World of America.
Speaker 1: That is basically the column about American wrestling.
Speaker 4: I guess in this final episode of the turbulent American Wrestling World, we report on the New York District on the East coast. At least it's not the New York District on the West coast and the Los Angeles District on the West coast, two areas considered anti inn WA. These two anti mainstream districts have firmly joined forces New Japan Wrestling and New York District. What I can't help you there, just keep going. McMahon's troubles lie in the history with the w The promoter in charge of the New York district is Vince McMahon, head of the Washington DC based kick Vittel kick kick What kick vitil kick vital.
Speaker 1: That's just a translation issue.
Speaker 4: We're going to run into the Okay, kick Vital Wrestling Corporation. The NWA membership roster list three associates. Robert J. Morella, Gorilla Monson of New Jersey.
Speaker 1: It is It's Capital Wrestling Corporation. Okay. I don't know how it comes out that way, but that's a kick kickfittle. Maybe that's the Dutch I don't know, like Knickerbocker or whatever.
Speaker 4: Maybe that could be it. Yes, Robert J. Morella, Guerrilla mon Soon, make That Sandwich of New Jersey, Phil Zach of Pennsylvania, and Arnold Scholand of New York. Like Man left the NWA in nineteen sixty three to found the WWWE, which recognized its own World Champion. However, he returned to the NWA in nineteen seventy and the title the word world was dropped. The organization's name has now changed to w w E and the president has has close ties with crawlis.
Speaker 1: But while there are good stories on the East.
Speaker 4: Coast, we do we do tell we tell stories, you know, that's what we do good.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's what they meant. There's good story lines.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say that things are going smoothly among the insiders. Well, it's not. We all know what happens when the outsiders show up too, right, that's the whole different thing of the insiders were Nation and d dfider.
Speaker 1: Back to our w c W greed showing every w CW pay per view greed. It's every promoter, isn't it ye? Pretty much?
Speaker 4: And the West Coast is in a recession and both sides are troubled. Bruno San Martina, when McMahon had selected his as this is whom McMahon had selected as his favorites, defeated Rogers in just eight seconds in Madison Square Garden, ushering in the Sammartino era and ushering in the golden age of the WWE. That's hilarious to think that that, you know, certainly not what we consider the golden age, but it's hilarious that that is the golden age. I know, in many ways McMahon's troubles are not unrelated into the history of the WWE. McMahon found of the WWWE in February nineteen sixty three and certified Buddy Rodgers, who had just lost the NWA World Championship in January of the same year, as the first world heavyweight champion. However, this was, it seems however this was. It seems that McMahon, who had his eye on Rodgers' popularity at the time quote took a chance on him. However, by the nineteen seventies, these wrestlers had become obsolete, and Killer Kowalsky, Gen Kiniski, Billy Graham, and Fred Blassie, all of whom were popular in the US at the time, also challenged Sammartino, further increasing his popularity. Samartino's titled Rain lasted for about eight years until he was defeated by Ivan Coloff in January nineteen seventy one, but most of the wrestlers who challenged him were proteges trained or promoted by McMahon. These include Bill Miller, Bull Ramos, Kentucky Butcher, That's Big, John Quinn, Baron, Mechell Baron, Michael Sekluna, Jus Orteka, Bill Watts, Gorilla Monsoon, and Waldo von Eric. Other newcomers I'd like to see include cool Off, I mean cole Off. Hold no, no, I'd say the idea that other newcomers I'd like to see, implying that he'd liked to see Sammartino. Yes, include Cooloff, George Steele, and Spiro's Arion. With the MSG promotion and the ongoing boom, McMahon struggled with talent shortages I see, and finally rejoining the NWA in nineteen seventy If he's got an ongoing boom, why are their talents? Why is he struggling?
Speaker 1: Right, it's fascinating to hear them just convey just the whole history of East Coast wrestling YEA to their readers, and make note of the fact that the Los Angeles territory the West Coast was kind of in a recession. We definitely got those vibes when Hult came through and did that little bit in June fourth one of Mike Masters, It's not a packed house, Okay.
Speaker 4: Not at all, not at all, allowing him to and finally rejoining the NWA in nineteen seventy five, allowing him to book with member promoters from around the country. Removing the World from the title must have been humiliated.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 4: Removing the World from the title must have been humiliating. But without seeking new talent from across the country, the small New York wrestling scene would have aged along with the established wrestlers. I mean, okay, it's just it's hilarious. McMahon's current voters include Sam much Nick and Saint Louis, Jim Barnett and Georgia, Jim Crockett in Mid Atlantic, Edmie Graham and Florida, and Mike Label in Los Angeles. Non members include Verne Gagney of the AWA and Bill Watts, who runs the MSWA and Louisiana. Through these connections.
Speaker 1: US, I guess that South Wrestling Association I've never heard. I've never heard it MID an acronym like that. It's always just miss South. Yeah, mid South.
Speaker 4: Through these connections he was able to bring new blood like Stan Hanson, Bruiser Brody, and Dusty Rhodes. Did Bruiser or Brody ever go to New York? He sure did, Yeah he did. Have we seen the seventies? No, he had left just as Hulk arrived. Conveniently enough. But have we ever seen him like we've done some shows from the seventies, MS gentlemen, were ever seeing No, I don't think.
Speaker 1: We've reviewed a show that he wrestles on. In MSG, I don't think so. But that's where he had his initial blow up with the guy who stabbed him to death. Was he was wrestling the Strada invader in the garden and they had a a little bit of a kerf fluffle about, you know, Brody being stiff with him and taking advantage of him and stuff, And a lot of people point to that as kind of the precursor of what happened Wow, and montsoon being affiliated with the Puerto Rico office and owning a piece of it like he did. I don't know, but we didn't come down with enough of an iron fist on Jose Strada back then, and look what happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll say, Uh. Vince nick Man, who was pursuing a cooperative relationship with New Japan Pro Wrestling, has endless worries. Okay, oh my god, Oh yes, yes, I don't understand it. I don't understand that. I'm endlessly worried. I am, and I'm worried to an endless degree. I believe that's the title of the book.
Speaker 1: I think we've got that endlessly worried.
Speaker 4: His markets include the Mecca of MSG, as well as Rochester, New York, Washington, d C, Baltimore, Maryland, Boston, Massachusetts, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Philadelphia, New Jersey. Attendance at m G alone hasn't changed much since the heyday of the WWWE monthly regular matches attracted at least eighteen thousand attendees, with sellouts of twenty two thousand often being recorded. One distinctive feature MSG audience is that they is that they welcome matches with strong rivalries. One Hanson challenge WWE heavyweight champion Bob Becklan in February of this year. The attendance was eighteen thousand, that rose to twenty thousand for his challenge in March, and then sold out again for his challenge in April. Including the closed circuit, twenty three thousand people have including the closed circuit twenty three people have attended MSG twenty for all people twenty three thousand thousand. Well, even that numbers, we're including the close circuit. Twenty three thousand people have attended Madison Square Garden in its history, all the series of existence in May of that same year, and Semartino's popularity was enduring, while backland lackluster performance outside of the MSG was undeniable. The power plants already power plant power, really already the power plants grumbling against McMahon's cooperative approach to New Japan Pro Wrestling. Local insiders believe that the close relationship between New Japan Pro Wrestling and the WWE has been both a blessing and a.
Speaker 1: Curse for both parties.
Speaker 4: Aside from MSG, Backlands lackluster popularity and other major markets is a source of concern for McMahon. Sammartino's popularity remains strong, surpassing backlands. Sammartino's popularity is particularly overwhelming in Boston, where he draws fifteen thousand people when he wins. That he wins with what he wins the main event, but in backstage areas attendance drops significantly. So when he wins, fifteen thousand people will be there. When he's not when he's not winning, there will be less than fifteen thousand people there because they know the outcome ahead of time. That's right, Sammu tell whoever, Simontino has no intention of regaining the title. He's taking it as his own pace.
Speaker 1: What a weird thing to say, I have no intention of regaining the title. It's like he's not saying I'm not going to try, but I have no intention of actually succeeding. I have no intention of actually winning the title. So this is but I am taking but but I am taking it at my own pace. Took a hell of a long time. But there again they get around to the dynamic of the ww AD from New Japan relationship and how they keep getting this lame ass. Bob Beckland is their champion to deal with.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't I don't know what to tell you. Kept he's drawing money, he's doing fairly well for himself, and you know, these are the things that you know, people do as are told, right, that's the way. That's the way business works, way America works.
Speaker 1: Wow him with that, that's good. You know, if if you got a problem with that, you get a problem with our success.
Speaker 4: If you have a problem with that, we can go to war again and we will beat you a Okay, we'll kill you, all right, No Pearl Harbor, job on me. All right, don't don't try to pearl Harbor me. I'm from fucking New York, you son of a bitch. McMahon has fully taken this into account, having Peter my Va challenged back them three times and Pat Patterson challenged him four times. Well, it's possible that they rely more on the popularity of healed challengers and on Backlan's popularity. It's common for a solid challenger to challenge twice in a row. Here, the pamphlet always mentions Martial Arts heavyweight Champion Antonio Nok w w J Heavyweight Champion, have Toumi Fujinami and a w A and aw A don don.
Speaker 1: Fucking mob Boss.
Speaker 4: Well, exactly a w A don V Gagney V Gagney second only to US champion b gun.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know. Be Gun is supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Billy Gunn brother. Now Japan pro wrestlers in preferential treatment, with the Oshiaki's photo often appearing on the cover, and Fujinami, despite not having achieved much in recent years, ranking third in the heavyweight division. The WWE is the only organization that sanctions martial arts championships in the United States in exchange for his thorough cooperation with New Japan Pro, McMahon monopolizes the channel for inviting foreign wrestlers to New Japan Pro. This means that even if New Japan Pro wants wrestlers from the AWA or Florida, they cannot negotiate directly without McMahon. In other words, a relationship with the WWE is so close that they cannot afford to cheat. This is certainly a disadvantage for New Japan Pro, which aims to utilize the entire United States as a source of foreign wrestlers. When Baba flew to the US before the Kaj the Karaj Festival, the first person he went to for advice was Samontino. When Samontino responded with a manly spirit, I mean he brought him a prijut leg or something. Of the three major shareholders of McMahon's company, CWC, Monsoon, and Zaco are all on Salmontino's side, excluding Scoland. In October, Salmatino will make a special appearance at All Japan Pro Wrestlings tenth Anniversary series, which is currently in.
Speaker 1: An all out war with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
Speaker 4: Even McMahon, as expected, was unable to influence Samontino, who has more popularity in draws more spectators than the champion and is highly respected in the wrestling world. Although he has retired once, Salmontino remains extremely popular even among his fellow wrestlers. There are Even though among his fellow wrestlers there are critics. Yes, wrestlers in the region A page surprisingly little for a small town circuit. Undercard wrestles like Johnny Rods and Carlos josea Strada often earned around one hundred dollars per match, but even they make generous salaries when they compete in regular matches at NSG. This makes up to the low prices they normally pay. However, when New Japan Pro wrestlers arrive and compete in the MSG regular matches, they lose their chance to perform. It's no fun to have to put up with the low prices normally only to have your money taken away by New Japan Pro wrestlers. Yes, even McMahon's protege Dom Danucci, is he a protege protege it's calling for New Japan Pro wrestlers to be bad from MSG. Even the capable McMahon is no end of worries at this page, at this point in the game, I have no I have no end of worries. My worries are endless. They never end. My worries begin and they just go on in eternity. I wake up, they go on. I wake up in the morning, I have worries. When I go to bed at night, I have more worries. And when I wake up the next morning, I have you know, no fewer worries. And when I went to bed, the worries don't don't dilute, they only they only expand.
Speaker 1: So I'm living my life. But this last sentence really brings it home.
Speaker 4: Even the capable McMahon is no end of worry. He is dealing with the Sammartino faction and disgruntled wrestlers who simply refused to go along with his policy of total cooperation with New Japan Pro wrest exactly.
Speaker 1: So as much as Vince McCann Jr. Wanted to make New Japan the preferential partner, and you know, Hashashi Shinma, the president of the whole organization, Sam Martino and many others just have allegiances to BABA and want to cut their own deals in Japan. It's kind of the first sign of friction, I think in terms of Vince Senior trying to claim or any of the McMahon's trying to claim dominion beyond just what you do in the New York territory for what you do everywhere. I'm sure he's quite happy with the booking fees he's getting sending Andre to Japan, because Vince Senior since nineteen seventy three, as we've talked to Pat la Proud about, it was basically Andre's booking agent wherever he went around the world and got a percentage of his fee, and so I'm sure he would like to have replicated that by insisting everyone going to New Japan to keep the economics flowing. The deal pretty much was in place through the first couple of years of Vince Junior's administration of the WWF as well, but there are always wrestlers who pushed against it and sought to play both sides of the fence in Japan, just like they would play several sides of the fence in the US territories to find the most lucrative opportunity.
Speaker 2: The Fan Wrestling Podcast, he's a lapsed fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and carn Seo MJP.
Speaker 1: Sooro and when they're working with Stan Hansen as one of the key foils to Brunos s Martino in the mid to late seventies in the WWF, that gets complicated as well because Hanson wants to decide where and when he goes in Japan and not have to have it be up to Vince McMahon senior just because he happens to be working there. So that's kind of the angle that the Japanese press is coming at it from, and that's what's in the air around the time of the forthcoming Transition. But after that match and the others we talked about in October in Japan, the Halkster returns to the Awa State side. By October seventeenth, he's in Chicago defeating Jerry Blackwell via count out underneath Greg and Jim Brenzel over Jesse Ventura and Adrian Adonis in a steel cage. Here Boss on October eighteenth, nineteen eighty one is a clipping from the newspaper in Green Bay, The Herald Sims Reporter in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, actually Wednesday, October fourteenth, nineteen eighty one, what's going to happen? And what does happen?
Speaker 4: Uh? Hold one? Oh okay, here we go. The Battle Royal's main event, indeed okay. A sixteen man Battle Royal is the main event on a six bout professional wrestling card at the Brown County Arena Sunday. Sixteen pro wrestlers will be in the ring at the same time and must in Each must be thrown over the top rope to be eliminated. The last man in the ring will claim a fifty thousand dollars purse. Wrestlers entered or Andre the Giant, Billy Robinson, Burnet, Gulai buck Zoumhoff, Baron von Rashki, Jim Brunzel, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Valliant, The Incredible Hulk Hogan, Jerry Blackwell, Ken Peterra, Bobby Duncom, Greg Gagney, chikh Ad, non El Casey, Tito Santana and Jesse Ventura. Another bouts. Ken Peterra faces Jim Brunzel, Jimmy Valliant faces Bobby Duncom, Hulk Hogan takes on Jesse Ventura, Greg Gagne meets chic Adnan O'Casey and Tito Santana faces Bobby Heenan and the sports briefs wins. Chike wins Battle Royal, Chik add nan Ocasey won the main event, a twenty five man that expanded quickly a sixteen man Battle Royal a week five days prior and became a twenty five man Battle Royal and in twenty three minutes and eighteen seconds and took the first place perce Percy Person Percy purse e y of twenty five thousand dollars in professional wrestling. Here Sunday Night, Another Action Hulk Hogan beat Jesse G s j E. S s I E. The Body Ventura in arm wrestling, Kent Pattera beat Jumpin' Jimmy Brunzell in sixteen oh five, Jerry Crusher Blackwell pinned Jimmy Valliant in two ten, and Tito Santana Bent penned Bobby the Brain Heenan in eleven fifty six. Attendance was thirty four or sixty eight on the night.
Speaker 1: So that's what's going on. Hogan's return to the United States October twentieth. The Leader Telegram a nice illustration of Andre the Giant. Look at that with his fro double bicep pose towering over the city like Godzilla.
Speaker 4: That's very funny.
Speaker 1: Advertise this all star wrestling card at the North High School Gym on October twentieth, nineteen eighty one. The twelve man Battle Royal there and Hulkogan listed among the participants. Moving ahead, looking at some aw Look at that rad dog Vashan eyeglass specs unlimited print dad. Look at the goofiness of that guy wearing the black rimmed glasses there, What an idiot. It's like the guy in the six Flags commercials.
Speaker 4: He really does.
Speaker 1: So take us into what's being reported up in the Winnipeg press around the Battle Royal, his Battle Royal season. It's October and town Battle Royal.
Speaker 4: In the ring, eighteen wrestlers try not to go over the top rope. It's supposed to be an all out wrestling Wrestle Royal Thursday at the Arena with eighteen big guys go at it at the same time. In the ring, Billie Robinson, Rene Gula, Evan Johnson, Jumping, Jim Brenzel and Under the Giant are some of the grapplers ready to bruise their way through the main event, which is a lass over the top rope a limit last or last last over the top ropes go elimination battle with one thousand dollars waiting for the last man in the ring. So I let you just emphasize that in the previous battle royal fifty thousand dollars on the line.
Speaker 1: In this one, one thousand dollars is on the line. Yes, So it's a it's a big difference. It's worth a lot harder on one than the other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. The card starts at eight pm with Jerry Blackwell and Johnny Valiant, Bobby Bob Duncan and Tito Versusito Santana, Ken Peterra versus Buck Zuomhoff the Hall versus Jesse Ventura, she got Non l Cac versus Greg Gagney and Adrina Donnas versus Andre the Giant.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. There's the official lineup on the night, So yeah, Andre going around the circuit. They go up to Rapid City October twenty fourth, nineteen eighty one. Here's the cost. See the ticket. By the way, there's a ticket there. I missed the ticket, told me on the look they have a.
Speaker 4: Sealed blue ticket there. Wrestling at Winnipeg Arena. Someone hung out of that piece was ten dollars there the managers. The management reserves the right to a license granted by this ticket by section sixteen, Row seventeen, Seat three. Let you know something where that is in the Winnipeg Arena.
Speaker 1: Wow, some lucky soul. That's great. See those tickets like meant nothing at the time, and now it's like breathing history looking at us ticket stubs or something else. They go to Denver. There's the lineup hul Coke and versus Jesse. The body of Ventura is playing out all across the circuit. They go to Rapid City, South Dakota. Professional Wrestling is going to be returning. You see that picture of Greg Ganya and Jim Brunzel Boss. What can they expect in Rapid City In late October eighty one.
Speaker 4: All Star Professional Wrestling again will bring its show into the Rushmore into Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Saturday night and highlighted by with a tag team championship bout belt holders Gregg greg Gagne of Mound, Minnesota, that's where you Mound, Minnesota?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no comment really.
Speaker 4: And Jim Brunzel of White Bear Lake, Minnesota will put their American Wrestling Association title on the line when they meet Jesse the Body of Ventura of San Diego, California and Golden Boy Adrian Nadonnas of New York City. And the ninth main event also scheduled our matches between Tito Santana and chik Adnan l l case El Cac not al CAZy but l.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, that's a conversion, and.
Speaker 4: The incredible Hull Cogan versus Rene Gulay. The opening battle feature Rock and Roll buck Zoomhoff against Bobby the Brain Heenen. The matches begin at eight pm. Ticket prices or eight dollars for reserved ringside seats, seven dollars for reserved balcony seats, and six dollars for general admission seats. Children under twelve years of age will be admitted for three dollars.
Speaker 1: And the results went down. Oh, I love the coverage, man, love the coverage in these territories. I mean, I know, it's so great. It's where all this, you know, all these databases of all these results come from the fact that these local papers thought it was of enough interest to their local readers to just carry a few sentences about this. And it's like worth its weight in gold, because you can put yourself in the territory. You can realize who was around, what the programs were, who was featured, who wasn't, and who may have come through that you never even thought did. And you know, as poorly done as all this stuff is it, they turn out to be invaluable historical documents. And again further to the proof that the time is now to do something like the complete Hulkkein, because yes, every fucking newspaper's been digitized, everything's at our fingertips, all the videos there, yep, and here we are. In the wrestling main event at the Rushmore Plaza cific Center on Saturday night, the current world champion tag team of Greg Gagne and Jumping Jim Brenzell successfully defended their title with a quick fifteen minute bout no route of challengers Jesse the Body Ventur and Bobby the Brain. Heenan, I thought it was I thought it was Adonnas, Adonnas, not Heenen. Let's take don Heenan for Donnas. Oh right, here we go, No, here we go.
Speaker 4: Heenan was a last minute replacement for Golden Boy Adriana Donnas, who was injured earlier this week in Winnipeg, Canada.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: Venturia was leveled coming off a throw into the ropes when he caught a forearm in the throat from Gagne and was easily counted out before a crowd of twenty three hundred. In earlier bouts, Bobby Heenan pinned buck zoom holf sell three words, oh buck zoom holf. In twelve thirty Twito Santana drew with Chikh at Non l Case and the Incredible Hulk Cogan pin Rene Gul of France in only six minutes. The Chikh lived up to his bad guy reputation by refusing to sign autographs and chasing little kids from ringside. Waiting there but refusing to chase the little kids from ringside using autographs. I know that, but it's saying didn't say.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see you? What you're saying the stax Yes, highly misleaving, poorly poor grammar.
Speaker 4: He refused to sign autographs and from chasing little kids around from ringside. Well is what it's is what it implies.
Speaker 1: The world may never know what was intented there, But interesting to see Hulk still being called the Incredible Hulk, even though yes, you know, he's fully baby face hul Cogan. And that's what's going on in one of the smaller cities on the circle, to say the least. Click forward October twenty fifth, nineteen eighty one, Saint Paul, Minnesota, the Civic Center, Big Goings, Bigduins, then eighteen man Battle Royal, and it's Hulk Cogan and Andre the Giant featured in the print ad the aforementioned stencil of Andre the Giant towering over skyscrapers in some city somewhere, and that old leftover, sleepy eyed hull cocin photograph from the w w F fifty grand to the winner. They're putting that on the road.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is the great descriptions here though. You know again they have so you have another giant, incredible hul Coke and Jerry Blackwell, Big Bad Bob duncan Ken, Pettera Jesse, the Body ofv Tour claw Master Rashkie.
Speaker 1: Yes, never heard him. It's called that he knows how to get those plush toys. Yeah, okay, as he does.
Speaker 4: Golden Boy at Donnis, Bobby the Brainheen and Tito Santanna, Billy Robinson, Greg Gagney, Jim Brenzel, daschkh Bear Buck Zoomhoff, Evan Johnson, Brene Gul and Dizzy Ed Volder also known as Sam contest as Dizzy Ed Butcher, Beefcake.
Speaker 1: Your Beefcake. Well, the whole crew you just listed for the most part, also known as w w F nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very true.
Speaker 1: Sorry, whole crew here basically, but yeah, they were putting that Battle Royal on the road. And one of the things Greg Gone you would say years later is there was this moment where Hogan Andre bump into each other in an Awa Battle Royal, and the electricity when they face off from the crowd tells them that they got to book this matchup. Now. He places that as being as best we can tell in nineteen eighty three, and they put in requests to Vince Senior to book Hogan and Andre for February of nineteen eighty four to have Andre back, assuming they would still have Hulk, this of course being before Hulk made the jin Wow. So every time I see Hogan and Andre listed as together in an Awa Battle Royal, I just wonder if.
Speaker 4: There were I just think we have a I think this is an opportunity to first to put the to pull up you know, super Bowl leagues together and have it be, have it be Hogan and Andre in the main event. And you know, not for the title. We'll keep that title on Bockwinkle. But still, I think, I think, I think we have an opportunity here to to really pull something off.
Speaker 10: Greg.
Speaker 1: If you don't, if you don't fuck up, all right, Oh he comes back to that. He's just sitting there like nodding, waiting. Oh, there it is there, it is the knife in the back at the end.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you this, all right, all right, Greg, come nineteen eighty four, we better fucking have Hogan on contract. Your dumb dipshit.
Speaker 1: I want more what on the twelfth floor here of the hotel? I want Hogan on the twelfth floor in eighty four, You understand me? All right, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: If he's not here, if I don't, if if you let him go, I'm gonna throw out the fucking window, your dumb ass, Your fucking bitch so tired of having a son worthless fucking wist of flesh.
Speaker 1: Well, the secret scribe is on the case. Thank God for that. The wrestling columnist in the Minneapolis Star. Thank God, take God with his giant dome articles fucking head of his for his bizarre lucien ass is rather oblong, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Indeed?
Speaker 1: But he's reporting on all the comings and goings, all the speculations. Remember this is the column that called Jesse's run being over upon the arrival of Hulk Cogan and the AWA, and now he's paying particularly close attention to the dynamic between Hulk Cogan and Andre the Giant. It's not like the AWA doesn't want their bite of that apple as well. All the cities we've listed that got Hogan and Andre through seventy nine and eighty through eighty one, Minneapolis wasn't one of them. Perhaps that's about the change, boss. What does the secret Scribe have to tell.
Speaker 4: Us look out for a hulk grappler andres due to fall Andre the Giant. Battle Royals always revolve around him?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 4: At seven foot four, four hundred and eighty five pounds, he's a freak. That's enough to make him the main attraction at a Battle Royal or any other match. Battle Royal is a special kind of wrestling match, and it's an event in which eighteen wrestlers square off simultaneously. In the ring, a grappler's eliminated when someone tosses him over the top rope. The last survivor is reward with fifteen thousand dollars and a little in a title bout with That's News and a title bout with American Wrestling Association champ Nick Bockwinkle. Under the giant often wins the Battle Royals, so what afterward he somehow manages to lose the Bockwinkle, all six feet two hundred forty pounds of him, more than two and a half tons of humanity will tax the rings suddenly at the Saint Paul Civic Center for promoter Wally Carbo's annual Fall Battle Royal. In addition to Andre, the other giants include four hundred and sixty eight pound Jerry Blackwell six foot nine, three hundred forty pound Hulk Hogan six foot five, three hundred and fifteen pound Big Bad Bobby Duncan six foot six, two hundred seventy pound Baron von Rashki, former Olympic weightlifter, Ken Petera who weighs two hundred seventy five pounds. Bodybuilder just at the Body Ventura, who tips the scales at two sixty five and local favorites two sixteen pound buck Zoom off of Hamburg, Minnesota, and Mounds Greg Gagney, who might measure two hundred pounds without let in his power.
Speaker 1: You count the little a little nut on top of the coconut too, Almond, that's all enjoy, Almon Joy. What's what's on? What's a mound?
Speaker 4: The Mount Mounds is just the fucking It's just the chocolate and the fucking coconut. Almond Joys get the nut on top.
Speaker 1: So you don't include the the alemond? Got it? No, you definitely do not. That's just fucking. That's just plain ship. I mean, they've got moundst the tapings in Hershey, Pennsylvania. You got great guy here from Mound, Minnesota. What's next? Yep, they're all fighting for one hundred grand.
Speaker 4: Listen, I have no and I have no doubt that that that that that Jerry Blackwell comes from Snickers with cod.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say when Snickers mine his back.
Speaker 4: Also scheduled to step into the overcrowded ring, or she go had non l Casey again, al Casey uh brene gule, Let's say Robert Gouley. I can't believe we took that long. Oh my god, you imagine that'd be hilarious. Brene Gulay, Jim Brenzell, Billy Robinson, Dizzy Ed Boulder, Bobby the Brain, heen And and Adrian Odonnas. Who's going to prevail? The Scribe says, not Andre the Giant. He's too much of a freak to have the kind of fan identification that's necessary to be a force in Twin Cities wrestling, to just faded into the background and continue to wrestle in Battle Royals around the world. The Scribe says, watch out for the Heenan family. With Heenan, Petera, and Duncombe working together to eliminate immovable forces like Andre the Giant and Blackwell, they will be a factor Heenan family, But it doesn't make sense for a member of the Heenan family to end up challenging stablemate Nick Bockwinkel for the title, so that leaves the Sheikh, Blackwell and Hogan as likely winners. The Sheikh Backwinkle rivalry is not put, but it's really not appealing anymore. A Blackwell Backwinkle matchup could be interesting, but Fatwell will be so embarrassed from being body slammed by Hogan in a preliminary match that he may not even show up for the Battle Royal.
Speaker 1: He does, call him fatwell he does.
Speaker 4: He does. Therefore, the Secret Scribe picks Hulk Hogan as the winner. Look for Duncan and Petera, who meet Robinson Gulay. That sounds like a fucking person, not a team Robin Robin as he yes, it does. Duncan, Petera, Robinson and Gulay attorneys at law and associates associates in a in a preliminary match to emerge as leading challenges for the tag team title. Patera, who started out as a protege of Verne Gagney and a good guy, is a brother of coach Jack Petera of the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I don't know that either, scribes secrets. Rod tron Guard, voice of the Minnesota Kicks and a former sportscaster on KSTPA, has become the new ring announcer on Channel nine KMSP TVs All Star Wrestling.
Speaker 1: I'm Rod Trodguard, and.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you I see monkeys rolling around in my dirt. It seems that KTSP is still benevolent to some of its former employees. All Star Wrestling is filmed at KSTP Studios. I'm rod trod go for it, Go for it. And while a carrier pigeon may deliver you a letter, it delivers me the spoon with which to eat my breakfast cereal. I'm rod Trodguard and sometimes I like to stick my head in the milk carton.
Speaker 1: I'm rod trodg and that's my face on the milk carton.
Speaker 4: I'm rod tron Guard and I just stapled a milk carton to my face.
Speaker 6: Ha ha.
Speaker 1: They said if I wanted to be found, I had to put myself on a milk carton. Therefore, here I am. I'm rod tron Guard.
Speaker 4: And this is the fourth time I've woken up in Nebraska naked this week.
Speaker 1: I'm rod tron Guard.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. Just picture rod tron Guard naked in Nebraska for just for a second, Okay, him realizing that it's happened, and how scared he is, and he fucking runs around.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's always like he's never aware of what's going to happen. He just finds himself in these.
Speaker 6: Scenarios, you know, buddy, welcome.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: I trying to find some rod tron Guard clips. That's podcast. Shout out to whoever that is. But that's not what I was looking for.
Speaker 4: I guess people don't.
Speaker 1: Have the enthusiasm we do for rod trot Guard fire reels. I'm finding nothing.
Speaker 4: Fucking I'm rod tron Guard, and I've been told I have a mom.
Speaker 1: He was w Vince hired him to This is Savage and Donna's Rostito gnoa Cage. I guess he was on the call. All right, Well, we'll have to pick it up as we go, because rod tron Guard's will be back in our lives very thank God, very very soon.
Speaker 4: Listen as long as he samples the jams and jelly as, I'm fine with it.
Speaker 1: I'm rod trot Guard, and I'm two votes away from unionizing the school bus drivers in your town. If you don't know by now, rod tron Guard. Bit from the Life and Death Days. Is this idea that he well, he's tripping on acid always and he understands himself to be in a dimension in a reality that he is not.
Speaker 4: He well, I think the idea is he is his own dimension, right, he is his own reality. Rod tron Guard exists within rod Tron Guard.
Speaker 1: And so welcome to the complete Hulk Cogan rod Toron Guard. We hop fucking new.
Speaker 4: We hope you brought the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't wait for his eccentricities. What else does a secret scribe have to tell us? The week later in the Minneapolis Star, odds should be even when they go to the mat. Jerry Blackwell, you asked for it. You finally bit en off more than your big mouth and oversized belly can handle. Make sure your health insurance is paid up. Here's the story of Blackwell's predicted This guy's fucking a riot, absolute right, secret Scribe. I need to know who this is? Who is the secret scribe? Oh no, Oh my god. The four hundred and sixty eight pound Mini from Georgia sabotage Hulk Hogan with a folding chair to the noggin during their preliminary battle to the October twenty fifth Battle. Royal Saint Paul Hogan was hurt so badly that he was unable to compete in the battle. Royal Tad insult to injury. Jesse, the body of in Tura, was fighting for unions that's not what he said, who.
Speaker 4: Had aided and betted fat Well during the match, gloated over the fallen Hulk. This would be the first time of many times that I would gloat over the fallen Hulk Hogan, God damn it. Affrey regained his census. Hogan challenged Blackwell, Ventura and Tora's partner Adrian Adonis to a three against one bout. Promoter Wally Carbo would sign the match only of Hogan, who stands six foot nine and weighs three hundred and forty pounds, had a partner for protection. So the Hulk enlisted Andre the Giant seven foot four, four hundred and eighty five pounds the winner of the Battle Royal. This two against three match Sunday at the Saint Paul Civic Center should have more action than John Travolta could create on the downs floor of American Bandstand.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, he doesn't always hit home run, says he.
Speaker 4: I guess yeah, describe predicts the bout will turn into a three for all. Brother literally expect the Hulk's manager, Johnny Valiant to get into the action too. There's no doubt about it. This Blackwelve and Tour versus the Hulk is developing into some kind of rivalry. Another rivalry will be rekindled Sunday Whimp. This is written by Vern apparently Greg Gagney, the crafty son of retired champ Vern, squares off against Big bab Bobby Duncom. Gagney has a score to settle with a three hundred pound plus Texan. Young Gagney broke Duncan's leg a couple of years ago to retali eight for Duncum rupturing Vern Verne Gagney's ear drum. Then Duncan, with the help of the Heenan family, was responsible for Gagney the youngers, the younger suffering a concussion that nearly Kai Coyote Kaote Kote his career.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 4: The Gagney clan figures in another match on Sunday's card. Eight years ago. Verne Gagney and Billy Robinson trained former Olympic weight lifter Ken Petera and introduced him to professional wrestling. After a couple of years, the bulky, well built blonde disregarded as the scientific tactics of his teachers to become one of the most successful rule breakers in the business. Robinson hopes to show Petera the errors of his way Sunday. The other opening bouts are of little consequence except for this footnote. The dread of tchikh ad non l Casey has been relegated to wrestling. An opening match with popular buck rock 'n' roll zoom off is the time. It's time for the chik to find his camel and take a ride back to his oil.
Speaker 1: Well, oh shit, Jesus, all right, he must be sec he must be cycling out of the territory. And then that little small bit there in the top right some results for us Okay.
Speaker 4: Under the Giant triumphs Under the Giant was won the eighteen man Battle Royal as in Pro Wrestling Actions Sunday Night at the Saint Paul Civic Center before seventeen sixty eight fans and other matches. Ho Cogan defeated Jerry Blackwell in the body slam contest. Ken Peter and Bobby Duncan defeated Billy Robinson, Rene Goulay an attag team contest, so no vern huh ver vern bout out of that one. Tito Santana defeated Bobby Heaton. The Sheet defeated Baron von Rashki about its qualification and Evan Johnson defeated Ed Boulder.
Speaker 1: There's a rundown what's happening in Minneapolis and the secret scribe there to document a lot of it. We move ahead to October twenty fifth, nineteen eighty one Saint Paul Civic Center footage of the Hulk Cogan versus Jerry Blackwell Body Slam Challenge.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: The Hulk Hogan Blackwell program continues to be the gift that keeps on giving for the AWA. Let's see what we have in three two one play.
Speaker 5: I want them to roll this video tape footage tear answer.
Speaker 4: So it's Hogan and Jean and studio pitch you to the footage.
Speaker 5: Z stocks God Blackwell right head right off? How is it?
Speaker 1: Roger Kenner and Rod tronicgard I think it's a.
Speaker 5: Who blue as who straight bardon.
Speaker 1: The right hand, Blackwall soaring back.
Speaker 11: Deep straight back off its big boot.
Speaker 1: Shotwell teeter ring. Johnny Dallian is on the apron. Hogan's manager something I don't know. Anybody slams Blackwell. Hey, game, the roof is distracted.
Speaker 5: Can't crab o how Corgan but nobody slam I'm Jerry blow deck ros.
Speaker 12: What. Rep.
Speaker 5: Berree says no, I didn't say it. The rough Bree says no, no, no. Rough Rae says no way.
Speaker 1: Micarriage of justice.
Speaker 5: Holstvaliant protesting.
Speaker 1: Hogan, just do it one more time?
Speaker 11: Who's that?
Speaker 1: And Torah holds Hogan's legout.
Speaker 5: Torah just up banded Hogan and black.
Speaker 1: Moll falls on Hogan. Hogan shows Blackwell inside and gives Chase.
Speaker 11: To get framed.
Speaker 1: Choking that door, turned the ring, digging off.
Speaker 9: Through the ring.
Speaker 12: That's not the smartest thing in the world.
Speaker 5: And let's look an incredible hawk going after him.
Speaker 1: Get his hands on Jesse the body and Ventura.
Speaker 12: Got s Onden. Black Cell gotting.
Speaker 11: Into the rack.
Speaker 1: Gooseles Ventura high above the crowd.
Speaker 12: He's got He nails him with a chair.
Speaker 1: Blackwell's got a chair and he's attacking Halt.
Speaker 12: Go on to work on him with a chair. Watch him on the head.
Speaker 1: The umbridge. In Roger Kent's voice, see where is he?
Speaker 12: Good Lord.
Speaker 1: Ventura showing off the bicycles.
Speaker 5: Are gonna put the body slam on black Velve.
Speaker 12: The referee was not.
Speaker 5: Looking well yet, protesting and all battling.
Speaker 12: Brake's loose.
Speaker 1: Garbage flying in the ring, get the chair, his Ventura struts, steel.
Speaker 5: Hammer, Hogan Carbo, Wally Carbo.
Speaker 9: What's that now?
Speaker 12: What's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: They don't find out, but needless to say, Johnny Valiant still managing hull Cogan even though he's a babyface and causing lots of trouble. Yeah, basically forcing the ref to miss the body slam and the body slam challenge. So you can see them kind of transitioning the Blackbell feud into the Jesse Ventura feud there in that brief clip, Sioux City Journal picks up the AWA on the circuit October twenty ninth, nineteen eighty one, eighteen man Battle Royal twenty five grand to the winner. There's the uh the Andre sketch and what does the article say? At October thirty, Under the Giant wins Battle Royal. Under the Giant was the big winner in the eighteen man Battle Royal that top the professional wrestling car to the Sioux City Auditorium Thursday. Andre was the last man left in the ring and as he took home the top prize money in a special event, the Hull Cogan.
Speaker 4: The Hull Cogan post that's the Hulk Hogan both the victory in an arm wrestling condesc with Jesse the body of Ventura. In other matches, Bobby Duncomba and Billy Robinson battle to a fifteen minute draw. Jerry Blackwell pinned Johnny Valliant in two eighteen, but the referee reversed the decision and awarded the match A valiant ken battera brother of I thought I thought was son of Seattle Seahawks, Seahawks coach Jack Butterra before now he's brother. I think it's Seattle Seahawks. Yeah, little confused coach Jack Butterra pin Tito Santana twenty and twelve eighteen, and Baron von Rashki whipped the Chic in thirteen twenty seven.
Speaker 1: All right, So then on October thirtieth, we continue across the circuit Madison, Wisconsin, and there's the Thunderlips picture All Star Wrestling next to the Andre picture. They illustrate Andre like they used to illustrate the Incredible Hulk Boss back in the Memphis days. It's like this cartoon. Oh yeah, yeah, you're right, I'm into a town near you. We can just no matter how hard we try We don't really try, but you get my point. No matter how much we think Hogan, Andre is in the past, oh or in the future, every territory he goes to ye ends up crossing it up with Andre the Giants. It's the match, it's the match. The match. Yeah, it's absolutely meant to be. And here at the Edgwod High School Gymnasium on Friday, October thirtieth, they were treated to a twelve man Battle Royal for the twenty five thousand dollars pers The Incredible Hulkogan three forty minutes Beach competing, as well as Brunzel Santana Blackwell, Andre Duncan, Gulay, Robinson, Ventura, Zumhoff, Gania, and Bobby the Brain Heenan. Here's a bit of a preview from the Wisconsin State Journal October seventeenth, nineteen eighty one. Professional wrestlings famed Battle Royal will come to Madison for the first time. This is Madison's first Battle Royal. An answer to a trivia question, I know you've long.
Speaker 4: Had boss, Yes.
Speaker 1: When Edgwod High School host the of on October thirtieth, performers like seven foot four, four hundred and sixty four pound Andre the Giant and the Incredible Hulk Cogan, a mere six seven three forty will be part of the two wrestler card. To think that this person was writing this up at this local paper about the guy who would become Hulk Hogan, that's got to be such a weird situation years later when he sees what this guy becomes and the Battle Royal twelve performers are in the ring at the same time, with the last man left winning. Twenty five thousand dollars. Tickets are available for the event, which is sponsored by the Edgewood Athletic Association and the Milwaukee Wrestling Club at United Bank of Westgate and the Athlete's Foot at East Town Mall. Remember the Athlete's foot Remember that chain? Oh yes, yep, I do, I do, Stop making me want it. Hogan is issuing a challenge in the Major League Wrestling program to Blackwell and Ventura. And this isn't duplicative, right, This isn't the same one that we saw reprinted in one of these Major League Wrestling programs. This is this is new right?
Speaker 4: Hold on, I lost the page? The problem?
Speaker 1: What's the date again? That well, it's listed as nineteen eighty one, Dash ten Dash xx because it's just the program for the month of October. It's not necessarily a date certain, but it's oh yes.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, this is then tough, same same, same, same picture, but it's a different, different, different.
Speaker 1: Article and again spreading Ventura into the Blackwell program, right, take it away.
Speaker 4: The Incredible Hulk Hogan has made a couple of enemies since his entry into ABA Wrestling Action. They are none other than Jerry Blackwell and Jesse the Body of in Tura. Blackwell has had quite a reign of terror in the a w A. He not only put mad Dog Vashan out of action for good, but claims to have sent the likes of The Crusher and Dino Bravo packing their bags for parts unknown. You mean Japan, right, have war hip to it. But in Hogan he may have met his match up. Claims that he can just he can be just as tough as Blackwell, and in fact claims that he can do anything Jerry does just a little bit better. Hogan has also worn Blackwell to keep his hands off of Luscious Johnny Valley and his manager. The Hulk's other bitter rival, Jesse Ventura, also, so now has something to think about. A man who has proclaimed to himself the body he finds now finds another muscular gent on the scene stealing his thunder. Hogan says that Ventura isn't in the same league and that he would just as soon take care of his buddy Golden Boy Adriana Donnis while he's at it. Keep your eyes open, because anytime Hulk Hogan steps into the ring with either black Well or the East West Connection, there is bound to be some real fireworks.
Speaker 1: Now, if you toggle over to the right hand side, you'll see some more on Hulk Hogan in the news section with Bill after reporting, And there it is. I think this is the first time we've seen it. Complete the picture, the publicity photo Stallone and Hogan facing off. Yep from the set. Of course, Hogan put on on gimmick stilts to look ten times taller, apparently using the old Vince Andre trick. Sure, and there's Stallone staring at him, Hogan with the championship belt around his waist. So wrestling fans and readers of the wrestling magazines the United States getting their first look at Hulk Hogan's true would star turn here the article says hul Cogan portrays a wrestler named Thunderlips in the film Rocky three. Hogan writes that his performance will win him an Academy Award. Wow, so the rock really did take after him. I guess so I am such a great performer, Hogan says, ha ha ha ha. After this film was released, I'll be regarded as Hollywood's number one sex symbol. Eat your heart out, Robert Redford. By the way, Hogan has been accepting some matches in Florida. He recently wrestled to a time limit draw with the powerhouse Mighty Igor, another powerhouse further in the magazine and Matt Brock's plane speaking column. Nice photo of Hogan lifting a couple of dumbbells. Dateline, Tampa, Florida. I don't know what the people down here have done to deserve what they're getting now, but it seems as if Mighty egor at hul Cogan have chosen Florida as their mutually agreeable battleground. As these two powerhouses pound their way through the state and each other, wrestling fans down here are bracing for what promises to be the first big storm of the Hurricane season. My guess is that this storm will eventually be named Hurricane Hulk. Hogan. Oh, Matt's going to hand it to Igor too. He can take it as well as dish it out. But I don't think he's got as much strength as Hogan, and that's got to give the Hulk the edge. So a lot of hype in the magazines about this, uh yeah, shortly return of Florida in the program with Mighty Igor getting a lot of ink spilled, But it would be a wa returning to November. I mean, I don't even allow myself with these kind of temperatures boss to think about Turkey, to think about stuffing.
Speaker 4: But well, I can always dream.
Speaker 1: Can you be any more of a Thanksgiving place than Minneapolis? Saint Paul?
Speaker 4: Oh, God, come on, I I as always Thanksgiving in Minnesota's going to be something really special.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's actually brises, you know, oftentimes in the Northeast say nothing of like obviously the southeast and stuff. It's so hot still sometimes not every year, Yes, sometimes you're just forcing yourself to feel like it's an autumn breeze outside and it's just not. Yes, I don't think that's a problem in Minnesota. I can't help but agree with that. Get that fucking quarter step on, get that card again on now, yep, yep. So what's Holts November look like? While it starts in Winnipeg November fifth, where he teams with Andre the Giant That's right, wow, elk Cogain and Andre forming a team in the Awa to defeat Jerry Blackwell, agent of Donnas, and Jesse Ventura and a three on two handicap match. They go to Oshkosh, Wisconsin on November the sixth with the same match and the same outcome. Rockford, Illinois November seventh, nineteen eighty one, Hulk Cogan defeating Jesse Ventura by disqualification in an arm wrestling match. So that continues to go around the horn a Toba Saint Paul No Remember eighth, nineteen eighty one, Hulk Cogan and Andre the Giant defeated Donnis Ventura and Jerry Blackwell And yes we will get eyes on that one as it survives on tape and a three on two handicap match. They go to Omaha, Nebraska next November eleventh. Is Hogan defeats Jerry Blackwell Oakland, California. On October pardon me, November twelfth, nineteen eighty one, Hogan defeating Jesse Ventura. That's quite a quite a hot Saint Paul Omaha, Oakland, but that is quite a hob. They bring a Battle Royal to Oakland in the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum on November twelfth, Andre the Giant, of course, being declared the victor. They're sharing the ring with Hulkogan and many others. They go to Denver on the thirteenth, as Hulk and Andre defeated Donas Ventur and Blackwell. Again, Green Bay has Hulk Hoogan defeating Jesse Ventura and what is not denoted on wrestling data as an arm wrestling match but a straight wrestling match on November fifteenth. Ooh, I don't know if that's just missing context or what. We have yet to see a Hogan Andre, pardon me, a Hogan Ventura straight one on one match yet in the AWA or ever or ever. Yeah, perhaps we'll never get there, right Raberly, I'm not entirely sure what awaits us on that front. Chicago, the International Amphitheater, November twenty first, Chicago, Thanksgivings coming, I mean, don't get me started. Hogan defeats Jerry Blackwell in the Body Slam Challenge November twenty third of the Fargo Civic Auditorium. It's according to articles we found incredible Helkogan versus Jerry Blackwell Aba Saint Paul. November twenty sixth Hogan defeats Ventura and an arm wrestling match, and then it's back to Japan and yet again for the second Madison Square Garden Tag League. By November twenty ninth, Hogan is back in the land of the Rising Sun, facing the likes of Saidji Suck Gucci and teaming with Stan Hansen one last time against the likes of Anochi and Fujinami. So a very eventful November nineteen eighty one. It is for the Hulk as he he rides several waves on that wide glide. We click ahead to November first, this is a promo from a decade tens pul Cogan is about to announce that his partner for the matches we just read off will be none other than Andre the Giant, and you better believe that Hulk does it in as dramatic a fashion as possible. Gno Glen holding the microphone Hogan's got the shades on indoors. I want to know if there's cocaine involved me two to one play and that.
Speaker 5: I could depend on that I could put my back against his and I knew he would stand.
Speaker 10: His own ground.
Speaker 11: I wanted three in the ring by myself.
Speaker 5: I want to Ventura Donaldson Blackwell. The promoter said, no way, I had to have a partner. So here he comes.
Speaker 11: Fee five poo.
Speaker 9: Are you ready, runner of the battle Royal.
Speaker 5: Fifty one thousand dollars, seven foot four and a half four hundred and eighty five pound Andre the Giant. I cannot blame it, hul Cogan. You took a whale of a lick, and I had with that share last week. Are you going to be ready to team up with the Giant to go against these three men next?
Speaker 11: Dinside, let me tell you something. I took a whale of a bone head.
Speaker 5: I stayed all the battlerole.
Speaker 11: The doctors kept me out.
Speaker 9: I'm ready now for this, when I have.
Speaker 5: Fully recovered Andrea, and I've already called the weather station.
Speaker 12: We told him that Richter Skilds.
Speaker 5: Are gonna spin around a bunch of times, because we're gonna be seven bodies from one corner to the other, and this man will stand right next to me all the way. I have one hundred percent confidence in him.
Speaker 13: What about it?
Speaker 12: Andre?
Speaker 10: I win the battle oil on the last time, and I know one thing needs me for a partner, but the Pomoa need the Pomo said you need a partner, So I will just stay in the corner. And that going to be is by while because he was not in that way for the eighteen guy by a while. But this time he gets three guy by himself, and I go to watch the other guys after him. Did you get first? I've done this, then I want you to get jeg Ess and the fat Black lift the last one. Okay, Boss, because you're flacking before you not to do it anymore.
Speaker 12: You got the money. I got the money for about a while, and then this.
Speaker 10: You got the door.
Speaker 1: What's the.
Speaker 5: Tower?
Speaker 1: And he's not speaking English, He's he's it's like the kid who crashes out because he's not getting enough attention. Right, Johnny Valliant is big, glittery sequin jacket, just jumps into frame, stands squarely between Andrea and Hulk, and spreads his arms wide and just goes surprise surprise, Well he can and pretend to be amused by it. Okay, thanks for surprising us, your dumb fuck. I think that may have been Johnny Valliant's A W A Swan song there, boss, Right there we got screaming for relevance? Is hope out of here? But yeah, the way they how did they shoot Andrea entering the frame? That was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: That was great. That's the way you shoot Andre. Honestly, the only way to shoot Andre.
Speaker 1: Of Hogan and Oakland talking at the mic and then Andre steps in front of the camera completely subsuming the frame and gather their buddies. Man, you know this idea that like they couldn't stand each other or whatever. I mean, I'm overstating it, but that somehow Hogan had, you know, suspicions of Andrea, and Andrea was kind of leading Hogan along into thinking they were friends and they weren't. I mean, those those guys are hamming it up, like I know, it's k fab and everything, but I don't think Andre carries on like that on camera. I agree. So it's wild that even as Hulk spreads his wings and goes up to the Midwest and the A W A It comes back around to the Andre feud. It comes back around to the Andre chemistry. And that's just the that's always been the stir that straws the drink for Hulk. Hogan Awa included, as we come to find out, calling upon him as his special partner, and it truly would be the story of the eighties Hulk and Andre. I mean, we're just a year after he slammed him in Chase Stadium and look where we are.
Speaker 4: It's remarkable. Honestly, it's truly remarkable. How it, like you just said, it really always comes back to the two of them. Yeah, that's the through line, that's the story. There is no Hulk without Andre. People talk about how there's no Hogan without Vince, right, or no Vince without Hogan. There is no Hogan without Andre. I mean, that is abundantly clear because it's in interacting with Andrea across the wrestling sphere that he becomes undeniable. That promoters have to acknowledge that whatever shortcomings they see in Terry Bolea, everywhere they go, they create a higher level of excitement than Andre manages to create with just about any other opponent. Andre knew that, and that's why in my estimation, he never shied away from an opportunity to link up with Hull Cogan in any territory. They worked personal feelings, perhaps aside at certain points in time to move forward again. This looks to be from the November one, nineteen eighty one a WA television A bit of a rebuttal here from Jerry Blackwell, Jesse Ventura and Adrian Adonis three two one play.
Speaker 5: Okay said he wanted that fiself?
Speaker 1: What did he do?
Speaker 5: He shows he not yet a ben of cow and he goes on your son, why are you trying.
Speaker 10: To do it?
Speaker 12: Why am I trying to do that?
Speaker 5: Every girl, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna walk in that ring. I'm gonna pick up Andre the Giant, thrush him over my head and throw him five rows back because nobody.
Speaker 11: Nobody got me and any slam cut.
Speaker 5: This and then Hulk Hogan, I'm gonna pick you up and I'm gonna throw you all the way to the Mississippi River, baby, and you we ain't never gonna see you again. Let me tell you Andre to John, I heard you had a broke angle.
Speaker 12: That's the first thing we're going.
Speaker 5: After and then everybody mark a big red eggs almost that day because there's gonna be the end of Hulk Cogan. It's gonna be all over because we're.
Speaker 1: The greatest wrestlers in the world today.
Speaker 12: Whoa coward?
Speaker 6: You were a coward?
Speaker 5: Lger says, I mean he was not a kind of an eye.
Speaker 1: Will Away said, it's always screaming at the end, Geno, he would always do that. Adrian and Donnis didn't get a word in. You can see he's trying to interrupt, trying to butt in and not allowed. So that's how you cut promos back then, Man, you just screamed. You have Blackwell flashing his his bicep, his chicken wing if you will, and uh yeah, heavy heavy drama heading in to the handicap matchup. You spent a lot of time wondering about the timetable in Hulk filming Rocky three throughout nineteen eighty one. And I would like to think in our next clip here from the Minneapolis Tribune November third, nineteen eighty one, that Will Jones, who seems to be somewhat of a celebrity celebrity columnist for the paper in terms of he follows celebrities in their comings and goings would be a sot of truth for this because he's got some details that I don't think we necessarily have seen before about when and how Hulk shot the scenes. But he loses all credibility and sentence. Won Boss tell the people why got him? You've heard him called Terry Boleya. You've heard him called Terry the Hulk Boulder. You've heard him called Sterling Golden. You've heard him called the Hulk.
Speaker 4: Terry, Terry, Hulk Hogan. I have yet to hear him called Jim until now.
Speaker 1: Jim Hogan. Jim open parenthesis, incredible Hulk, close parenthesis Hogan. The article begins, Ah, Jim Hogan, Jim, we would not be here today without Jim Hogan. Well, no, if he were called Jim Hogan, No, I think we wouldn't be here without Jim Hogan. I don't know who Jim Hogan is, but oh that's true. I'm I'm I'm willing to bet that we wouldn't be here without him. They had what the fuck Hulk, Jim Hogan, He wouldn't have become wrestling fans Who fucking thought that was a good idea? This guy called him, who said, Hogan, Who said, you know what, this guy's name has got to be Jim. There's no way, there's no way he's not a gem. So let that be a sign that as much as these articles make us think that Hulk was kind of like approaching household named status around Rocky three and becoming a huge baby face star in the wa the Fucking Minneapolis Tribute and calls him Jim Hogan and No. Number eighty one.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yamas Hogan, Okay, I don't care, Yamas Hogan, the Incredible Yamas Hogan six foot sixth sixty pound professional restaurant part time minute in Minneapolis. Resident returned to town last week from Hollywood after finishing final dialogue looping for his halty role in sol Vester Stallone's newest movie, rock and three. So what is dialogue looping? Okay? So dialogue looping, another term for it is a dr and what that is is basically, I'll tell you what. The last time I definitely know the time we did talk about it under the cinemam was when we did Premonition, because I was I witnessed some audio dialogue looping, which basically occurs when the live two things that to one of two things. At least one of two things could have happened. Number one, you're recording the sound and for some reason, the micro force is not in the right place, and the sound, it's just the dialogue sounds like shit, so you have to go into a studio and record it afterwards. Or the other one is you're in a for example, a windy you have to portray wind or any other kind of situation that we're acquire an incredible amount of noise. So basically the audio is just not usable because of all the other sounds that are happening. And if there's anything I know about filmmaking, it's all about control. You want to be able to control as many elements as you possibly can. And so in a situation like that, you might record the dialogue anyway, but you're going to replace all the background sound anyway, so you have to replace the dialogue as well. Specifically, think of wind scenes. If there's a scene that's happening that's very windy, you're not even actually hearing the wind. The wind is and calling its in the problem. The fact is, oftentimes there's a fucking fan blowing, there's a giant electric fan blowing and creating incredible amount of noise that isn't authentic to the scene, so you need to replace that. So you have to eliminate that audio, and in doing so, you're going to eliminate the dialogue. So you have to replace the dialogue by having actress come into a studio and try to sink and watch the footage and try to sync up the dialogue exactly, got it.
Speaker 1: So that's what he has done, apparently in the last week of October of nineteen eighty one. So we established, I think, to our satisfaction that he probably shot the scenes for Rocky three in May of nineteen eighty one on his way back from his spring to Nuchepan tour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and dialogue looping and ADR stuff is definitely a post production thing because usually that's done after the fact because you're you're waiting to see what the final cut is. You're not going to go in and say, hey, you know, we want to use this shot and then waste people's time to come in for stuff that you're either you're not going to use or you're gonna say, you know what, we got to use something else instead. Anyway, we need to come back in for that. So you wait until I mean, at least in my experience, you wait until pictures locked and you're not gonna edit picture anymore. You know you're gonna leave. The visual cut is the same, is locked in, and so then you bring in actors to do me sort of looping or whatever.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it. So that's the final step in Hulk filming and doing this transformational role. And we have a timestamp. The November third, nineteen eighty one Minneapolis Tribune reporting that the week prior, Hulk Coogan had returned to his Minneapolis home after dialogue looping for his role in Rocky three.
Speaker 6: Wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: He's a Lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack Ancrenassi.
Speaker 4: And Rocking Three. Hogan play is the World's Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Hogan plays the World's Heavyweight Boxing Champions.
Speaker 1: Guys on Fire. How does he have a job?
Speaker 4: What Will Jones about? After last night? Before last night, I wasn't Will Jones. After last night, I'm Will Jones. Before we know exactly what he was, I was Jim joking.
Speaker 1: What I mean?
Speaker 4: All right? The boxing chat character known as Thunderlips the Ultimate Male. Soon as Hogan got back into town. He got another Hollywood call from a producer who wants him to play a bodyguard a new film about some Godfather type. That deal is still under negotiation. I don't know what he's talking about there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't know. I don't know that one. I'm Will Jones, and I know Hollywood. I am Hollywood, Will Jones, reporting out of Minneapolis, reporting out of my mom. I know where he was that last night. He was at May Slacks, pounding aim back with Dusty and rock brawling.
Speaker 5: What what?
Speaker 1: But it's useful historically, but I don't know if it's useful in any other way. Don't you know that Rocky is the boxing champion in the Rocky franchise? How can you listen? I'm just this is what I was told.
Speaker 4: There's a boxing champion somewhere, and I'm gonna report about it.
Speaker 1: You may not have eyes on the match as far as video.
Speaker 4: Nickel and Diamond me all the way the whole time, and I just gotta do my job, as Will Jones. I'm a satisfactory individual.
Speaker 1: What satis? I've provised satisfaction with my news coverage and in my bedroom and in my curricular my extracurricular affairs that often recalled sexual penetration. That's why I call my call him after last night.
Speaker 4: After last night, I perform penetrable activities and a satisfactory nature. Will Jones the satisfactory.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't know what he called him, Jim Hogan. It was going to be his turn that he was that he was in trouble. Well, how are you called Halt Hogan Jim Hogan in an article one time?
Speaker 4: Do you remember when you fucking called also you called his character in Rocky three the boxing champion?
Speaker 1: You dumb fuck? Well, maybe maybe Jim ketches in up at the Winnipeg Sun will do us one better. He's got a on Hulk and Andre versus Blackwell at Donnison those fucking glasses. Jesus Christ. He still somehow misses the forest for the trees, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: He does. What up in Winnipeg they're running Hogan and Andre as a team and November fifth, nineteen eighty one, Jim Ketchison takes to the pages of The Winnipeg Son to chronicle what he's seeing.
Speaker 4: Him Jim Ketcheson with the forehead of the of the of the Generation.
Speaker 1: Do you think Ketchessin's his middle name and his last name is as as catch cannon as Cannison catches catch Cannison.
Speaker 4: Yeah you got, yeah, Yeah, go ahead. Try.
Speaker 1: It's not easy, is it? Because it's there. You can see the word Ketcherson as catch Canniskin. There you go, yes, almost caniskin. He said cannis skin.
Speaker 4: At the end.
Speaker 1: How about Ketchison as Cannison catch as catch Cannason as catch Cannison?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Is it a fucking idiot? Smile? He has?
Speaker 4: Nice to him?
Speaker 1: He did nothing wrong, He did everything wrong. He woke up, didn't he? Bruh.
Speaker 4: A double man event headlines the AWA Pro Wrestling card Thursday Night of the winnip Big Arena. The first half features a handicap cat team match between five hundred three pound Jerry Blackwell, An Adonis and Jesse Ventur and.
Speaker 12: I guess.
Speaker 1: There ain't let.
Speaker 4: The first half features a handicapped mask tag team match between five hundred three pounds Jerry Blackwell, Adrian and Donnas and Jerry vent.
Speaker 1: Was he fucking like film noir? Private Eye? Jerry Ventura InVID you to consider a world not wear a halt Hogan and Jesse Ventura going around the horn and an arm wrestling challenge, But in fact, Jim Hogan and Jerry Ventura lock it up.
Speaker 4: I told you listen. All I can tell you is I hear, I hear cash registers going fucking nuts.
Speaker 1: One sells twenty five thousand tickets, the other one sells twenty five You tell me which one is. Jerry Ventura. Jerry Ventura sounds like a shop steward. Honestly read the brothers Jesse and Jerry Ventura. The Ventura brothers, Jesse and Jerry. How do you see Jesse the body and come away and your note books?
Speaker 4: As Jerry and Jerry Ventura umm against the two biggest men in wrestling. The six foot eight, three hundred and eight fucking keep increasing his weight.
Speaker 1: I think, Larry, I think Jerry Blackwell, if I'm to believe these news articles, has gained sixty pounds in a month. He's gained sixty pounds. I mean that's bad.
Speaker 4: Hogan gains twenty pounds every month. Right six foot eight, He's shrunk. He shrunk an inch and gained forty pounds since the last article. It's always been a freak shell. Six foot eight, three hundred and eighty pound Hulk Hogan and partner Andre the Giant, who stands seven foot four and weighs four hundred eighty two pounds. In the finale, champion Nick Bockwinkle will be cast in the unfamiliar role of crowd favorite when he lays his heavyweight crowned line against the hated chic at Non El Casey Edd Casey strong Man, Ken Petera and Bobby Duncomb are returning. Patera, former Olympicwight Olympic Weightlifting champion, brother meets Tito Santana, while Duncum, formerly with the Saint Louis Cardinal Football team, takes on British Empire champ Billy Robinson in a non title match. In other matches, Jim Brunzel won half of the World Tag Team Championship, meets Montreal's Rene Goulay and Laurel Succi tangles with Dizzy Ed Boulder. Tickets for the card, which begin at eight pm, are available at all the regular outlets. I gotta know did Jerry win, but we're gonna find out. Nick Bockwinkle retained his ABA Pro Wrestling World Championship title Thursday night, but he didn't win his match against chic ad Non l case Backwinkel, who sustained to cutover his right eye, was disqualified for ramming the Sheikh's head into the ring post. With almost eight thousand fans in the Winnipeg Arena roaring for more, most of the fight took place on the timekeeper's table. Both wrestlers were covered in blood when it ended. The special main event, Hulk Hogan on and under the Giant didn't have too much trouble in disposing of Jerry Blackwell, Adrian Donnis and Jerry Ventura. He said it again and again.
Speaker 1: He said it.
Speaker 4: Again twice, so it's like he didn't fucking mess up. He doubled down and honest. Inventura vacated the ring a little early, leaving Blackwell at.
Speaker 1: The mercy.
Speaker 4: Of the Hulk and the Giant. Ken Paterra, with a big assist from his manager, Bobby Heenan defeated Tito Santana, but Santana got his licks in a little later, dropping both his opponent and Heenan. Bobby Duncan was disqualified for throwing Billy Robinson over the top rope in their match. In preliminary bouts, Jim Brenzel defeated Rene Gulay and Laurent Sushi was similarly successful against Dizzy Ed Boulder. The next card is for December third.
Speaker 1: Wow, what coverage up there? The reporter Oshkosh, Wisconsin. November sixth is the show. The print ad hits the paper. October twenty eighth, There's Thunderlips, There's andre There's Blackwell. Main event tag team match, andre the Giant for sixty four France The Incredible Hulkogan three forty Venice Beach taking on Jerry Blackwell, Jesse the Body, Ventura and Adrian No Andrean Andrean Golden Boy. Is there a single fucking ad that has everyone's name spelled right? A single one in Minnesota, A single one. I've actually thought it's an Andrean Golden Bot, but it is boy.
Speaker 4: But yeah, its like a tea. I mean, this is this pathetic.
Speaker 1: This is like a yes, like someone's making money off of this, like gambling on whether there's going to be a Spellings. Just don't fucking care. Starting to make me not care, honestly. November seventh to eighth, nineteen eighty one. Giant Hulk tandem wins. This is the outcome up there in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The tag team of Andre the Giant and the Incredible Hulk Hogan defeated a three man team of Jerry Blackwell, Jesse the Body, Ventura and Adria A d Ria, Golden Boy and Donnas during an all star wresting card Friday night at the Lord's Academy Gymnasium. The winning team posted the victory with a pen with twenty three ten gone in the bout with a crowd of approximately eighteen hundred.
Speaker 4: It's just wrestling.
Speaker 1: No one fucks actly, so let's repeat the mistake.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Look, it's not their real name anyway, right, We have fucking fucking phonies anyway, So who gives a shit?
Speaker 1: Next I'll tell you what. Next time, I'll put James Genos in the paper. If it means that much to you. Next time, just don't fight. Why are we fucking writing about this?
Speaker 3: Stuff?
Speaker 5: Is right?
Speaker 1: It's nice. Why are we writing about stuff that isn't real? How is something that isn't right?
Speaker 12: Enough?
Speaker 1: About the front page news? How is it nos if it isn't real? Wow, where's my mom? That's a better slogan than all the news that's fit to print. I think the time's ought to consider it. How do we know it's news if it's not real.
Speaker 4: How do we know it's news if it's not real.
Speaker 1: Another match is Bobby heenon pig Bucks Off eighteen ten Chica and OKC, Pentito Santana and twenty one ten and Billy Robinson won by DQ over Bobby Duncan dun d u n c A N Civic Center Battle of the Super Giants. It's two against three. November eighth, nineteen eighty one is the date, and there you see Hulk Cogan and Andre versus Blackwell, Ventor and Adonnas. That is the program they're taking around the Horn. Minneapolis Tribute November ninth, Hulk Cogan and Andre the Giant defeated Jerry Blackwell, Jesse Ventura and Adrianadonnas in the main event of a professional wrestling card at the Saint Paul Civic Center Sunday. And other matches they just keep it straightforward, don't they. Thank God you want to Reduncam into qualification. The Sheik defeated Buck Zumhoff, Tito Santana defeated renegul A Lorenzusi defeated Ed Boulder and Billy Robinson and Ken Petera were in fact counted out. Let's finally see it. Remember eighth, nineteen eighty one Saint Paul Civics Center. Hulk Hogan teams with Andre the Giant in an A W A ring to take on Jerry Blackwell, Jesse Ventura and Adrian ADONNAS three two one play let us feast. Latter were losing their fucking shit. Holden's attacking Blackwell, who's.
Speaker 12: Tied up in the room.
Speaker 1: I might be tried guard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Irick Web, I'm in a back boart of a hawk, huge boot.
Speaker 1: A black Whell doesn't leave his feet on the big boot. That's that's significant. When Hulking first starts throwing the boot, it doesn't necessarily knock people down, but the corner, but the right hand finally knocks down a big Georgia boil. Look at Andre, that boss. Look at the sea guys, they're gonna make children. It comes to Donnaz to break it up, and Andre gets in with the bad ankle and all and sprints across the ring and lunging.
Speaker 12: At an I don't avoided. And at night.
Speaker 1: I hear the fever pitch in the same pacific because Andrei trying to keep interference at Hogan, Chik and Jerry Blackwell like a madman across the middle Road.
Speaker 12: He played the part of big Foot in six Million Dollar Man?
Speaker 1: Did you know that past season?
Speaker 12: Curry?
Speaker 1: What Andre played big Foot in the six million Dollar Feeling?
Speaker 12: He is like I Bread Great big Bill walk.
Speaker 1: Six million dollar An. Hogan had to wind up big right back, takes the bulb again. Jesus Christ as a he moon salts off the right hand.
Speaker 12: Black Well gurn turtle.
Speaker 1: Turn turtle. Roger Kent says, is it Roger Kent, I think it is ring an answer, and I.
Speaker 5: Had Buddy Krum's over there and rank in the day robes and home in his days. I don't think he's in gregarious country right now. Bacon double cripple came. He's gotten rid of the giants.
Speaker 1: Go around to Cring to help out all the red of the other corner the team Hogan Giant. Andrei's completely disregarding the tag rope.
Speaker 6: He's all over.
Speaker 1: They love it, Andre giving Chase, reaching lunging Jesse.
Speaker 11: Is he going the giant stepping over the ropes to.
Speaker 1: Chase check him and tour on the floor. Meanwhile, back in the ring back while the holds Hogan in place, and they got it time the Donas rings an elbow off the top rope. Another one writes left from Adonis, Jack and the child halt, but he's not coming.
Speaker 5: Down, okay, Darky almost fashion the time that I.
Speaker 1: Had, uh oh help, he's about to no sell losing it. Dag Off Baca snatches over the ropes again.
Speaker 5: And Andre a giant coming in trying to help him out.
Speaker 12: He nailed a donish.
Speaker 9: And say one.
Speaker 12: He's shagging me for it.
Speaker 11: Brother, Oh, Johnny Bayan.
Speaker 1: Shagging hoop brother Johnnyvalliant and Hogan.
Speaker 5: Manager Hogan and there's a karate thrush right up bros.
Speaker 1: Still in November, Johnny Valliant still around, that's.
Speaker 11: Absurd and got him with bos crossed in, crushed.
Speaker 1: The throat by Ventur, puts defensive, Adrian landing, ah if you will. From the opening again, Andre doing a tour of the circumference of the ring.
Speaker 12: And Hog I'm just scraping away.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 9: Being was back.
Speaker 1: Why the I saw Hogan, Andre feeding and w w F in nineteen eighty I didn't think we're getting to a place where, yeah, Hogan is going to feed Andre the hot tag. That's Valiant, It's got the house mic and he's leaving him. Tell you, I'm I'm I'm stunned with these value family. I know, just a total baby face manager. Now like Oliver Humpert and k W W the hull in the proper tren hawk of the sant Plisaic. Hogan decks back over the corner. Andrew gets the tag, but I get the referee side and well Adonna's climbs the right wings, not an US handle on Hogan.
Speaker 5: The referee was shagging Andre to Giant, back to.
Speaker 1: It, shogging again.
Speaker 11: A lot of came out the top rope.
Speaker 1: Back well, the huge splash across the chest cover to Hogan kicks out. What an atmosphere in these bolting Hogan A W A Cross were serious.
Speaker 6: I they know what they're giving.
Speaker 1: I believe that.
Speaker 12: I'm now going to him.
Speaker 1: I listen to her drives him at the corner, but he's triple teamed.
Speaker 12: You see what's happening here. The tag is going to be a BA.
Speaker 5: Hogan has been absorbing if commands, patting the hands of three men.
Speaker 4: Holdan look at him.
Speaker 11: B crap kick black kickball DNAs.
Speaker 12: Holding may On. His win.
Speaker 1: Out of the corner is reversed a Donnas, it's the buckle, I.
Speaker 5: Thought, so he put his brakes on in the corner.
Speaker 1: Doddre You're going to the don Sun.
Speaker 9: And I'm rather giant in there.
Speaker 1: Dropping on the lights, goes Adonis.
Speaker 9: Black Down, a team actual from the Legends of All Star Wrestling. Right after this.
Speaker 13: Break of them to the Legends of All Star Wrestling.
Speaker 11: Now let's get down to the ring for this great take team action.
Speaker 12: Adna's is gonna get.
Speaker 1: Madonna's sent for the ride by Andre off the top rope.
Speaker 5: Around.
Speaker 1: I was right, Jerry black.
Speaker 5: And a rapparator rather than the giant crabs other day back.
Speaker 1: Jimmy step intour by the Beard bring him over for a log and a Hogan socks him in the face and.
Speaker 11: Saw what happened, Yes, yes, you did hurt.
Speaker 1: All the knocker. Aldonnas goes Thory sixty and ties his arms up in the ropes pack, flipping. What a fucking troll. Then Blackwell is whipped by entry into the Pronadonnas crushing absolute Panamanian is Hure sits down on the Panamion.
Speaker 9: End the third bock out, Hey by the rangam.
Speaker 1: Sling shots of donnas from the apron into the ring the hard way. Andre the giant firmly in the driver's seat. It dropped down down kicks the giant.
Speaker 12: Dead man was way. He brought back body drop. I just saw that. Where's the double sledge from Black would.
Speaker 1: Another one and rolling around in the mouth.
Speaker 11: You know he is.
Speaker 1: Logan on the reds back. Then tore his end, laying in cheap shots and boots.
Speaker 11: To the giant.
Speaker 12: The boot to the giant.
Speaker 1: Andre, chance a nice.
Speaker 6: Ram Andre Andre.
Speaker 12: I'm ray he's getting his tracks back. He's got his bones together.
Speaker 1: He's got his bones together, the side bones. He took him down with a single leg. Andrew looks to the people like, shout, I get a dome bum down. He drops an elbow across the knee of the body.
Speaker 9: God die.
Speaker 12: Blackwell Man, and he goes.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no no.
Speaker 1: He single legs black Wack Ogan, urging Andre from the apron, making the crushing sign with his arms, and right.
Speaker 12: Down on the way.
Speaker 5: One hundred eighty five per arm. He made a pancake out of him.
Speaker 1: He's gonna eat it.
Speaker 12: He almost see Black w platting out.
Speaker 1: There Andrey sits on Dackwell's face three times in succession. Just come on, get up, and Jento just looks out on the Adorance loongs. What are reaction?
Speaker 12: And I nailed the giant.
Speaker 5: By Blackwell ship trying to shake their cobwebs, brumber his head.
Speaker 12: And understand to come up for Blackwell.
Speaker 1: Here comes Blackwell held in place. Was Andre for the big splash again? Okay, Johnny, I mean seriously, calm the fuck down brow again, King Kong Bundy Avalanche splash wrestling in the two vibes. Yeah, you're gonna double supplex Andre Adonis.
Speaker 11: At Blackwell double body slab.
Speaker 1: You got the big man up covered by adonas only two Andrea the power cuckouts.
Speaker 5: Pank of a time he almost threw a Donnas glor A ring group from the bar.
Speaker 12: Man cat up. Let's it do that?
Speaker 1: Giant hung by then tour on giant.
Speaker 12: Guys, God, big guy six six six seven.
Speaker 1: I just strong the bell over the top of the floor.
Speaker 11: Oh my god, you what I mean about the body Ice?
Speaker 1: The body of Ice.
Speaker 12: MONREI administered.
Speaker 1: Right outside the bear hug with a bright.
Speaker 12: Man. What's happening? The strength of this big.
Speaker 1: I'm desperately reaching for the tag.
Speaker 12: Thirty one year old dies.
Speaker 5: From behind his Blackwell in there the ref where he's got his hands full. Five minutes, keep drag him.
Speaker 11: Black Man with the bear hug and the bear.
Speaker 5: Hug or the body of ice, if you will, my black while who is very strong, all of these men, and they are strong, but he's awfully strong underneath that that exterior, and he's quick.
Speaker 1: Oh sight twenty eight the tag can we go?
Speaker 12: Incredible? How comes then?
Speaker 1: Had hands on anything that moves, whips Blackwell into Ventura and that tells a slam and it's breaking down.
Speaker 12: Blackwell attle, this dame.
Speaker 11: To this stone, that Roger Audio.
Speaker 1: But to Blackwell, he's stumbling around the ring like a drunk Well and Hogan sends a Donis into black Bell. Yes he is, Roger incredible, set up for the slam and they know it. Who the else?
Speaker 4: Oh flash book doesn't?
Speaker 11: Why?
Speaker 1: What's it? I love that he's slamming his dogs back up? How about another?
Speaker 6: Huh?
Speaker 1: Minds up the right hand?
Speaker 5: Jesus Christ, what a fun takes the.
Speaker 1: Huge bump tags into Donnis, Hogan on him, shoots.
Speaker 12: Adonas off the red and right into vat guard.
Speaker 1: Hogan slams a Donnaslab shoots him into the boot of Andrea.
Speaker 12: That foot a god.
Speaker 1: Donna's are pumping, son of a bitch, here comes Andre Hogan drops the weird off the.
Speaker 5: Play leg smashbor God, who it's over.
Speaker 1: It's a Hogan pins a Donna's.
Speaker 12: Incredible honk hogandn it.
Speaker 5: Come out of sussist from on reading Giant.
Speaker 12: What they did do the black bow and it kept him away? No that Kredama? Howkan in head van do here were wars right? All the hot and I'm red a giant.
Speaker 1: Night in November. Guard Rafter the bellmentor ambush's Hogan.
Speaker 12: Johnny Valiant kicks their head buck.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 12: The Giant Giant are left the ring.
Speaker 1: Area Andres exited. They double bought us that whole body slab the Black's gonna splash Hulk Donald for Andres finally getting back in the ring Big cup black Wow, and tell how Andres lumbering round post office or room.
Speaker 12: Ye all draft back guard.
Speaker 1: Just falls in the direction that was supposed to runs.
Speaker 5: That name.
Speaker 12: And all back Bloom breaks float.
Speaker 1: Having chase again.
Speaker 11: At that wearing the nursing injuries.
Speaker 1: Andre the Giant left for right, having to run the three off re enters the ring.
Speaker 12: He was Attack a lab.
Speaker 6: Fall wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Corn and j P Sooro.
Speaker 1: And Hulk Cogaan and Andre the Giant Friends to the end standing Touch's crazy in the same pal cific center. Yeah, what do you what do you make? What do you make of just the atmosphere of these Hogan I mean, it's just it's just it's just electric.
Speaker 4: I mean again, we talk about react like Hogan and Andre was a WWE thing, like it was a special thing, and it's not. It's special all over the place. I'm not saying that is a derogatory thing. I'm saying that as just a just a fact. Everyone gets a taste.
Speaker 1: Everyone gets a taste, and it's wild. It's absolutely wild to hear people react that way. I feel myself needing it quite frankly. Yeah, you know, for sure, it's just I want so much more of Hogan working magic in the AWA and hearing the crowds pick up on it. But at last we must move to November eleventh, Alma Hunter Rask at the Civic Auditorium Backwinklin Baron von Rashki. In the main event, Jerry blackwel verus Hulk Cogan with the Thunderlips hat on underneath. It's Wednesday, November eleventh, bus what went down? You can skip What's gonna happen tonight. Let's go to the results there in the bottom right.
Speaker 4: Sure Blackwinkle retains World Matt Crown at a qualification against Baron von Rashki Wednesday night All allowed Nick Bockwinkel to retain his World Wrestling Championship before and thirty nine at the City Auditorium. Von Rashki was qualified in nineteen twenty five of the match after he refused to break the claw hold he had on Backwinkle, who was on the outside of the ring. The other main event, Hulk Hogan beat Jerry Blackwell in seventeen sixteen. Other matches Ken peterra Big Bob Duncan defeated Billy Robinson Patt O'Connor in twenty six forty seven. Laurent Soussi defeated Ed Boulder in nineteen thirty. Next card December.
Speaker 1: Fifth, so Omaha's still working November twelfth. Back in Oakland, they're printing the picture of Andrea holding the four women on his arms. Andre the Giant is one among eighteen behemoths in a Wrestling Battle Royal Thursday, eight pm at the Oakland Coliseum Arena. The article reads, A Wrestling Battle Royal and Oakland eighteen Men Battle Royal will be held tomorrow at the Oakland Coliseum Arena along with five individual professional wrestling matches. Andre the Giant, Pepper Gomez and Pat Pattersoner three of the wrestler's scheduled to fight in the free for all of them, well, why are we talking about the pre show. The winner of the event will receive thirty fifty thousand dollars. Other matches on the card include Patterson versus Bobby Heena and Hulk Hogan versus Jesse Ventura in an arm wrestling match. So Hogan and Jesse bringing the arm wrestling program to Oakland as well.
Speaker 4: Here's a Cup.
Speaker 1: November fifteenth, nineteen eighty one, Green Bay chikadat ol KC defeated Nick Bockwinkle on a disqualification in the main event of a four card professional wrestling meet Meet It says meet at the Brown County Veterans Meorial Arena before fourteen hundred and eighty eight persons not fans, not people, person persons Sunday. This is from the Green Bay Prescazette on November sixteenth of nineteen eighty one. Says Bockwinkle retained his championship because the title does not change hands on a disqualification and other matches. Hulk Hogan pinned Jesse Ventura, so there's a straight one on one match as we speculated right there, pinned Wild and Lawrence Sussi pinned Johnny Valliant, So Johnny Valiant getting in there in wrestling as well as cheerleading on the house mic for Hulk Hogan. The tag team is Ken Petera and Bobby Duncan also beat Billy Robinson and Renee Gula when Petera pinned Gulay. Look what it is, Boss, November twenty first, nineteen eighty one, Chicago International Amphitheater. What's Verne calling this card?
Speaker 4: I'm just.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Hey there it is wrestling Super Bowl seven, Wrestling waper Bowl seven. So he's only done it.
Speaker 4: He's done it seven times and he's not willing to admit it. Uh yeah, fine, about time we have the Super Bowl of the of the leagues.
Speaker 1: Apparently some promoter somewhere in the ABA circuit was doing a Super Bowl just about every years. Somebody in the AWA was doing one. And I know when I see super Bowl, I think a hul Coganho's right there, yep, Jim Breunzel and Greg Gania who are also pictured.
Speaker 4: Greg guy, you look like Greg Brady and more just a fucking bobby. How do you fucking even put him in the right next to Hulk Hogan who looks like a fucking money money movie star. And Greg Brady looks like, you know, a substitute math teacher. It looks like a Jaguar salesman. Oh wait he does.
Speaker 1: Ah, there's a ticket from the Super Bowl card at the International Amphitheater. So yeah, they would run these super Bowls. They would have a Hall of Fame ceremony apparently with Yukon Cholat coming through and Spike Huber, who was I think Dick the Bruiser's son in law, I think it was. Then you have the souvenir programs and it says sound films are going to be displayed. So yeah, all right, it's a whole thing with a Hall of Fame induction. I never even heard of this before. Main Event number one was Bockwinkle versus Billy Robinson for the ANBA title. Main Event number two Tag titles, Greg Ganye and Jim Brinzel versus Peterra and Big Bad Bobby Duncan. Main Event three, five thousand dollars Challenger match Hulk Hogan versus Jerry Blackwell. That's got to be the Body Slam Challenge. Also, the World Tag Team Down is ww A. That was Dick the Bruiser's Indianapolis based promotion. Part You could say of the AWA the Kelly Twins, Pat and Mike versus Dick the Bruiser and Wilbur Snyder plus Blackjack Mulligan versus Bobo Brazil, it says there is.
Speaker 4: Miss the special tat Attraction revenge match.
Speaker 1: Oh what's that? Verne Gagney and oh my god, Donnis and they're missing the e on the end of Verne too. Yes, they are so Vern stepping back in the ring for this super Bowl quality card Blackjack Mulligan versus Bobo Brazil. And yes, in parenthesis it does say after Brazil's name, Famous Black Superstar Outstanding matchup Mexican superstar Tito Santana versus Jesse the Body Ventura, and in the exciting opening event it'll be Bobby the brainhen and versus Young superstar Spike Hubert. All matches are sanctioned by and under the supervision of the State Athletic Board. And that is a huge show right there. That Hulk was in fact a part of Super Bowl of Wrestling nineteen eighty one. Well, Jesse is going around the horn arm wrestling Hogan to limited success. And so on November twenty second, nineteen eighty one, he took to the airwaves on AWA Television and visited with Gene Okerland to express all that's going on with him and Hogan, and it's a bit of a time Capsule three two one play.
Speaker 14: Wrestling fans. I've watched this native of San Diego, California. He is Jesse the Body Ventura. He is two hundred and sixty two pounds, and I've watched your career, mister Ventura, over the past five or six years. And of course everybody very much aware of the fact that you teamed up Rudna south of New York City and a couple of years back as a tag team.
Speaker 13: You were fortunate enough to pick up the World Tag Team.
Speaker 14: Championships, subsequently carrying those belts around for well over a year and then dethroned recently. This is a matter of fact, Gold last year by none other than the high flyers of Greg Ganyan Jim Brunzel. However, Jesse Ventura, for the most part, you've had your way over the past few years. There is a young man that has entered the AWA very impressively, and that is none other than the incredible Hulk Coogan, the man who I think could truly test your strength.
Speaker 1: Oh, he'll test my strength, but the body will prevail me.
Speaker 11: And Jean, let's talk about other stuff.
Speaker 1: I'll get to this arm wrestling.
Speaker 11: I'll get to what how Cogan wants.
Speaker 15: To do with the body, and that is break arms with the strongest arm and wrestling. The man is gonna get embarrassed. But first I want to say this. You know, very close by here in Saint Paul, Minnesota, a few weeks back, the Rolling Stones were in town.
Speaker 1: They were good friends of mine.
Speaker 15: And let me tell you mean, Gene and all you people out there, Rick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood called up the Body and says, buddy, we need you to bodyguard us.
Speaker 11: We need you to announce us.
Speaker 4: So that's what I did.
Speaker 15: I was the announcer and the head bodyguard for the Rolling Stones.
Speaker 13: You were the announcer for the Rolling Zone announcer Jack.
Speaker 15: And let me tell you this, they didn't ask one the Hull Cogan. They didn't ask Greg Jim.
Speaker 1: I know they didn't. That's Jesse the Body Ventura. Yeah, no shit about that.
Speaker 14: Take a look at this paper right there, right there, all right, Everyone from wrestlers to guitar salesman got in on the Stones' actions. Saturday night, Jesse the Body Ventura All Star wrestler recently featured, by the way, in this particular publication, canceled I'm atch Chicago, Illinois to introduce the Rolling.
Speaker 13: Stones at the Saint Paul Civic Center.
Speaker 15: There it is.
Speaker 11: You better be impressed, Hogan.
Speaker 15: You're gonna be impressed when the body latches onto your pencil on so.
Speaker 1: Long way. He's bragging somehow he got on stage during the Rolling Stones concert, right, and apparently that's going to be elt Cogan's cross to bear. But that's uh, that's the mode of Jesse Ventura. Here in nineteen eighty one, All Star Wrestling No. Number twenty fifth, Fargo, North Dakota. Thanks It's Giving Day spectacular drinking in the fine folks of Fargo could come out and see incredib hul Cogan three hundred twenty seven pounds versus Jerry Blackwell three hundred eighty six. He lost one hundred and eighty pounds since the Winnipeg show. In the Battle of the Giants. Also on Thanksgiving Day, Bobby Duncan and Ken Peterra versus Teito Santana and Billy Robinson, Jim High Flyer, Brunzo versus Chika don okc and Pop Rock and Roll Zoomhoff versus Ed Boulder Working Thanksgiving nineteen eighty one, The Hulk with his nose to the grindstone. It's a Thanksgiving Night spectacular. It's also listed to hear the same Paul Civics Center. I don't know how he did both well. The other one was Wednesday night. They called it Thanksgiving, but it's Thanksgiving Eve, the actual proper Thanksgiving Night of nineteen eighty one, And man, am I gonna think about this this year? Saint Paul Civic Center, eight pm, Bell Time World Championship Bout. It was Nick Bockwinkel versus Hika don okc and a special event arm wrestling Hulk Cogan and Jesse Ventura right there on Thanksgiving nineteen eighty one in the Territories Ladies Wrestling also as Judy Martin the Faces Joyce Grable, that amounted to something of a special attraction, as aw WA at that particular point in time did not have a ton of women's matches on the bill. Secret Scribes got us covered Boss in the remember twenty sixth, nineteen eighty one edition. Oh yes he does Thanksgiving And if you'd opened your sports page you would see the headline Turkeys to test their wings.
Speaker 4: Wally Carbo, your special Thanksgiving card tonight is one big turkey. Only one bout gets the Secret Scribes blood pumping. And it isn't even a real wrestling match. Well, not to break it to your pal, but there are no real wrestling.
Speaker 1: Matches go down that particular road.
Speaker 4: It's the arm wrestling contest between Hulk Hogan and Jesse the body of Ventura with his twenty two inch biceps. Ventura may be man enough to be Mick Jagger's bodyguard, but no way he uh but no way he can legitimately pin the six foot nine, three hundred and thirty pound a Hulk's arm left or right tonight at the Saint Paul Civic Center, But the Hulk had better watch out for Ventura's conniving cohorts, Adrian Adonis and Jerry Blackwell. I expect Johnny Valliant, Hogan's manager, will be an ample second pair of eyes for the Hulk. Tonight's main event is an uncalled for rematch between American Life Champion Nick Blockwinkle and the Dridge chic ad Non l Casey. The Sheik does not deserve this bout. He has lost twice to Backwinkle. The rivalry is dead. The Scribe suspects the Chik bribed Carbo with an oil well or or two to get this unnecessary rematch. He doesn't deserve this extra opportunity. He should be back in the Middle East counting as camels. It's fucking awful. Oh yeah, the championship match that should have arranged. That should have been arranged as backwinkling under the Giant, the seven foot four, four hundred and eighty five pound winner of the recent Battle Royal. The Scribe suspects Carbo is waiting to schedule that one for his Christmas card. It's a match not to be missed. That's right, and be surprised if the Christmas card also finds Ken Petera Bobby Duncan against tag team champs Greg Gagney, Jim Brenzel. Tonight, Petera and Duncan, who dubbed themselves the Black and Blue Express plan to bump and to bruce. I definitely know they plan to bump Billy Robinson and Tito Santana. With that Hurtle out of the way, the Black and Blue Express should earn a showdown with the champion high Flyers come Christmas. The night's tag match is nothing special. A more attractive bout literally infigured figuratively is a rare ladies tangle between veterans Judy Grable and champion Judy Martin. Joyce Grable and Judy Martin. Carbo always seems to bring the ladies to town for the holidays. The scribes specs Hill bring the midget wrestlers in for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The other matches tonight are true turkeys. Does the Ed Polder versus Evan Johnson, Jerry Blackwell versus Jim Brenzell and Buck rock and roll zoomha versus Adrian madonnas.
Speaker 1: So a bit critical there was the scribe, but still giving us the information we need to enjoy Thanksgiving in the territories. Absolutely, I mean that was post Turkey and people went to that arm wrestling match with Ventura with stomachs full of Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Turkey and maybe a fucking Turkey sandwich in the hand.
Speaker 1: Is it had to be Purdue right that close to Yeah, just tremendous, tremendous stuff. That aw A had a Thanksgiving Night tradition. I didn't even really realize that we definitely covered Christmas in the territories, yes, aba in the past, but Thanksgiving to a tradition that Hulk Cogan finds himself fitting into and before he can even make that Thanksgiving sandwich, before he can even reach for the leftovers in the fridge, wouldn't you know it, our hero is on the plane again. Wow, it's on the plane again. With Japan on the mind, we gotta ramp it up into a different gear every single time. I'm sorry, gotta get on the right frame of mind.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmmm boom humphm boom.
Speaker 1: Boom axe boom ba. So I guess the coming back because he hasn't crossed paths with Abdula yet, so that must have come out. If you flip forward, you'll see that Hogan brought his Rocky three Wow sequin jacket, a golden Rocky three sequin jacket with him on his way to Japan, wearing a Los Angeles Dodgers T shirt in the picture we're looking at but I think having had all aready arrived in Japan for the second Madison Square Garden Tag League. It was just a year ago in the first MSG Tag League that Hulkgin and Stan Hansen went to the finals as you recall, against Antonio and ok and Bob Backland, and Hogan was able to rub elbows in the Japanese rings with Dusty Rhodes, Backland and ok Andre the Giant for the first time, and it was something to behold. Just a year later, Hogan's back on November twenty ninth, he defeats Saijisaka Gucci in Fijo Ashida. November thirtieth, in Okazaki, Antonioki and Tatsumufujinami go to a double count out with Stan Hanson and Hulkogan. December first, nineteen eighty one, at the Aichi Prefecttional Gym and Tonio and Ok once again defeats Hulkogen and we have tape November one. December second, eighty one, Killer Khan and Tiger Tagucci defeat Stan Hanson and Hulkogan by disqualification. What I believe to be For the final time. December third, nineteen eighty one, Stan Hansen and Hulkogan team together and it's a double count out against Andre the Giant and Rene Gula. The final time the Hansen Hogan tag team.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: That is a bookend to our nineteen eighty one. Hogan, to conclude this leg of the journey has a message for us in the November nineteen eighty one issue of The Wrestler. You'll see it there. Hulk Hogan's about to take on a completely new meaning, not only in Japan but also in the United States, and as the hype ramps up for Rocky three. In his role in it, Hulk has a rather contradictory message for the wrestling world Jesus in contrast to the character he's portraying now in the AWA in New Japan. It's to all my love slaves. A letter from Hulkogan to all my love slaves and lifelong dedicated fans, You're true on crowned champion me isn't the best shape my career mentally and physically, I'm second to none and should be given the chance to prove that I'm capable of holding the WWE, aw A and n w A belts at the same time. Recently, I left the WWE area area to answer the cries of Hollywood's heavyweights to please accept a major role in a major film, Rocky three. You know, being the ultimate object of desire, you know, the molten mountain of lust and the undisputed champion of the world forced the world, forced Hollywood to use my services. Well, I see, you know, female friends piled up easily, and all of Hollywood immediately started to call me Thunderlips. You naturally I made Rocky three movie of the Year just by showing my body. Now all the world, you know, we'll get to see the ultimate male Hulk, Thunderlips Hogan destroy the former dream boy Rockins. So the real superhero of the eighties, Thunderlips is here to stay now every every day as a meaning you know, my fans and love slay it can look forward to seeing more and more of their superhero me on film TV and your local newsstand. Train like a savage Hulk thunderlips Hogan. That's interesting, Yeah, Train, maybe he said you say your prayer like at that, like a savage as well. I mean he's like a savage. He's getting there, isn't he?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah he is, he's getting there.
Speaker 1: It's all Uh, it's all starting to come together for hul Cogin. And with that, he's got to cast aside the the material that made him who he is, the the figures, the avatars of the prior era off Hulk Cogin got him to this point. But he's necessarily got to cut ties.
Speaker 5: With what.
Speaker 4: He said avatars.
Speaker 12: I got it.
Speaker 1: And then you think Ibada short sna when he.
Speaker 4: At the Oscars, he was or the Golden Globe. I remember, promoted like he was. He was announcing the when Avatar was nominated for Best Picture. Absolutely, he went up there, he was introducing it. You know how they do like a they show like a little clip show of of the of the nominative movies. Yes, and so he'd called it Avada.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. Yeah, we talked about that. Yeah, absolutely, brilliant, but one of the things Hulk had to learn he didn't just learn from stan Hansen. He learned about the business from Stan Hansen.
Speaker 12: Hm.
Speaker 1: They closed this episode of the completely return to stan Hanson's book The Last Outlaw. Yes, Abdullah the Butcher had made the jump from All Japan Pro Wrestling to New Japan Pro Wrestling, and it seemed like show, Hey, Giant Bob is legacy, long standing organization, a true cornerstone of what Puanasu meant, was about to hit the skids, and that New Japan was a to sun All Japan Pro Wrestling out of existence. But Stan Hansen assessed the landscape and realized that that wouldn't be the healthiest thing for the boys. He of course, was sitting on a tremendous fortune because of the nature of competition in Japanese pro wrestling between Enochi and Baba All Japan and New Japan, and he figured he'd rather keep that leverage open than watch it disintegrate. And Hulkogan, you better believe his comrade in arms and the New Japan Ring an organization his watching closely and taking notes. Hanson writes, now that Abdullah was with New Japan. Rumors began to circulate that All Japan was going to go out of business. Shinma even told me that it was just a matter of time until Baba's company faded folded. Rather, we didn't know for sure that All Japan was in trouble. We only knew what we were told by people like Shinma. In reality, New Japan's business increased about twenty percent after Abdullah came over, although some credit for the ups swinging business should probably be given to Setuus Sayama, who wrestled as Tiger Mask the popular Japanese manga comic book Hero. Sayama became a big star for New Japan and put their junior heavyweight wrestling division on the map. The thrust of the promotion, however, was always an oke in his opponents. When he came to the ring, the people always stood and chanted over and over inoke inoke innok. On the flip side, All Japan's business didn't suffer too badly. For the most part, their business remained relatively stable, and when it did decrease, it was by no more than five percent. Due to Abdullah's jump. However, they were looked at as the number two league by the newspapers, magazines, and fans. That caused me some concern handsome rites. For my first day in the business, I had been aware of how important competition was between wrestling companies. We all knew that if there was only one promotion, then the wrestlers would have no power at all. In Japan, that was more obvious than anywhere else. Isawo Yoshihara's International Wrestling Enterprise beforementioned iwe had gone out of business around this time, so I was very concerned learned about the future for All Japan. That fact, however, was one of the catalysts for convincing me to jump to All Japan. I was teaming up with Hogan most of the time, so we renewed our friendship. During that time, we talked openly to each other about our business, and we often voice our concerns about where we stood in the future plans of the company. A few weeks before Abdullah showed up, I had talked to Wala Yamaguchi, a reporter for the wrestling magazines. The boys referred to him as the Weasel. I don't know what his business dealings were, but he had deep relationships with both Anoki and Baba. He also was very close to Abdullah, so he might have acted as the go between for Abdullah a New Japan. He had a good command of the English language, so he could stooge quote unquote information from the gay Jinns to the Japanese and vice versa. For all I know, he might have played a big part behind the scenes, but at the time, all I knew for sure was that he was a reporter for the wrestling magazines. During our meeting, he told me there was a rumor that Butcher would be coming to Japan. I don't know how Wally knew anything about New Japan business, but we wrestlers were always the last to know things like that. I believe he told me in order to gauge my reaction and see how I felt about it. I tried to hide my feelings, but I'm sure he was able to tell that I was surprised and disappointed. In late April nineteen eighty one, after returning to my home in Mississippi following my ninth tour of Japan, my telephone rang. To my surprise. When I picked it up, I heard the voice of Terry Funk on the other end of the line. Next time on the Complete Hulk Hogan. The end for Hogan and Hansen UF and Hogan makes his choice.