Speaker 1: Okay, it's it's it's ready to go. Thank you for joining us again. It's it's a real pleasure again. We we got through some awesome questions last time. We have a bunch more for you if you are ready.
Speaker 2: To rock, Yes, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: All right, Francis, do you haven't written down?
Speaker 3: I don't have them written down in front of me, so I can have you lead. I have a bunch of them. Yeah, you know, so go for us. You know what I mean. I listened to your previous interview, which was wonderful and had all kinds of nuggets in it. Matt and I and a lot of others. You know, we read the we read the catalogs, We talk and talk about various things. But we're all a little young to have actually experienced like basically you and the seed Bank kind of starting off.
Speaker 2: Like oh that's okay, kind of like.
Speaker 3: You know you you and and Neville at the seed Bank. You two kind of started off what we consider to be like the modern seed era, right like before you.
Speaker 4: Nobody could.
Speaker 1: Doesn't cutting out a little bit.
Speaker 4: Right, especially in America.
Speaker 3: We were really curious as to like certain questions, you know, for instance, you know you you mentioned before, when did you When did you first start seeing like Americans come in and bringing their seed lines like Skunk one and the Durban or afghany one or these different things.
Speaker 2: Yes, we started in eighty five. And yeah, after one year or so, Sad the Skreingman he came to to live in Holland. And yeah, he wrote the letter because they were running an ad an advertisement in in High Times magazine. Neville and the seat Bend did it as well. So Sam told that when I go to Holland, let's hook copied those two guys and let's talk about seats. And I told met the last time in those days, we didn't have mad seats. The only seats we have we're from from backs of seats that we bought in the coffee shops and it was all Sativa's. And so basically, Sam the skreing Man brought all the seats from the US to Amsterdam. And of course the next one was Robert Old Clark, a friend of Sam screwing Man. And after that a few more came. And the nice thing about it is the seats came from the US to Amsterdam. Then we started to send it to the US again and now it's again that we are looking to the US to buy seats again from from you guys. It's we were first more liberal than you were because in eighty five that it never has been legal let to go in Holland. But in eighty five, in those in the beginning, no, not a lot of people that knew about cannabis, and so basically we had we could do what we want because nobody knew about it and nobody even the police didn't really take they let they let us do what we wanted to do. You know, it's it's and then Ampterdam, there were a few more. We're not brining. Of course he was really the first one with the seed bank, but he didn't it's international. It was only from for Holland. And he was really Yeah, he's older than me as well. And he also started to work the coffee shop. The first gross shop is it the posit products the positors and the coffee shop is the Mellow Yellow. And he's still around. He invented more or less not a Rick Simpson oil, but yeah, I don't know. He calls it Madie Wheat, Maddie Wheat oil. And yeah, he has a good he really does a lot of good work because he basically introduced to the Dutch patients how to make your own oil. He wants to teach the people how to do it. He wants that everybody is an independent and independent from pharmaceuticals. You need to make your own medicine. And I'm fully agree with it. Yes, so he really he's still around. And come back to the question, Sam, the screaming man, he's nearly the man who brought everything to Amsterdam.
Speaker 1: Really, did you have any interactions with keys Hawker from Loveland Seeds?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, he's houl he's older already. Yeah, no, no, no, no, Because the thing is they they tried to push that, as we call it, the native wet, Yeah, basically growing your own backyard. And we were more we thought the judgment to call the rain near the wet and let's go indoors because we we we saw it, We saw it happening in the US, and we were we were readers of High Times magazine and we were lucky enough to have the American Bookstore in the Hague, so we went there every month to buy the newest and show them what what what in America was going on? And that's more or less. I was started, Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: You got another one, Francis.
Speaker 3: I was just you know, so, so when when Sam came over there, and I mean there's a lot of things now that that are legendary and famous, like Skunk one and Haze and all that. But I saw those things. Those were probably just names on a bag of seeds. Uh, let's throw those Your connection sucks.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand. I didn't hear what the lost sentence.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was just gonna say, like for us, Skunk one and Haze and those type of things are very very famous strains, and they kind of became like the backbone of what you guys were doing over there for a while. It was it like to those things at first.
Speaker 4: And when you first we.
Speaker 2: Were very happy, especially with the skuntling morn, because we were not used to see these kind of big butts. And yeah, stable genetics because yeah, you can imagine if you grow outdoors in all a sativa strained from the Ecuador, Yeah, it doesn't flower. It flowers this in December, and in December it's cold and rain and snow. So we didn't we never ever had seen even the buts, you know, so this was a big game change a when he came with his uh stuff and especially the skirt number one and the haze. I told him in the first interview. He gave us ten seats, the last seat he saved from his favorite variety, and he gave the other ten seats to Neville. And yeah, we didn't pay too much attention to the haze because it was long flowering and only very very small bits, and it was really we were so happy with the Skook number one that we almost forgot about the hate. Luckily enough, we made crosses between Skirin number one and Hayes. Yeah, because we had ten plans and yeah, two two times we were invested by the police and they took all our hases and we had only one left. I even don't know anymore if it was, if it was a boy or a girl, but already made the seats with the Skunk number one, and I still have a lot of seats that we made between crosses between our ten hazes. I tried to germinate it, and it really doesn't work anymore because the problem was I I kept them outside the refragerator for ten years. I put them in a refrigerator and now I still have them, so maybe it'd be some of your listeners. Yeah, culture, because in my opinion, a seat where there's only one sell a live still. Basically you could reproduce it. But if the government, I don't think they want to help us with it. If they find in a seat of a wheat in a pyramid in Egypt, we'll make sure that this is going to work again. Yeah, but with cannabis seeds, I still we still have to find somebody who can help us because I think the you know what I mean, cultures life somewhere in those seats. Still. Of course, it would be nice to germinate it. I gave it to a few people who were told we will be the man is because I know how to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's a pity of course. And to come back to your urban poison. Yeah, in those days, we had an Ampterdem coffee shop. It was called the Burban Poison and the only thing they sold was wheat from South Africa. I don't remember the names anymore, but the major thing they sold urban poison. And that's so why we we had quite a few crosses in our first catalog with Derban poison because we bought see, we bought wheat from them and we picked up seeds and together with skirn crumber one, all the crosses, all the crosses with skunk crumber one gave us more early flowering, bigger and a nice smell. So it was basically a winter combination. Is that even the skins number one do.
Speaker 1: You remember what any of the smell profiles of the different sku number ones that you pop back in the day were like, yeah.
Speaker 2: There's the The skull number one was really like the name tell the name tells it all. It stinks.
Speaker 1: So back then it actually smelled like skunks like North America.
Speaker 2: I really, to be honest, I never have smell smelled the spoon any mill. But it was more about the that it was so strong. It was really strong. You know. Yeah, in my hate that I have, you can still smell in the back you smell the skunk, the strong smell of the screw number one, yea. And together with the with the with the hazy it gets you like there's a lot. The old school hazes is very Freney planned because if you make an analysis of it, there is all there's only a proof scene that's the only terpin that's in it. Yeah, and not too much as well. But if you smoke it, it's really the true smell and taste that I have ever seen in wheat. So yeah, that's a big mystery, and I'll know it's about turpens. How is it possible that the plant with only one and not a lot of it can smell so strong and taste so strong? Yeah? Do you know the answer. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hey, Francis, you might want to turn down your mic.
Speaker 2: Listeners.
Speaker 1: Will you take the next few questions?
Speaker 4: I gotta go use the restaurant.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I mean so so when you so Basically, when you first got it, it was skunk number one was an early finishing, big bud, very pretty.
Speaker 4: It smelled like a skunk. Did it smell like did it smell like citrus? Too? It was there?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, not at all, no no no, it was more the dark side of the like the earthy, woody Yes, yes it was not. No, no, no, not any sweetness, no, not any any seat to us in it.
Speaker 3: Because what we're familiar with as younger people is skunk number one smells like floral.
Speaker 4: It smells sweet it smells.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that what what Sam brought over first is very different than what ended up being common in Europe later.
Speaker 2: That's yes, yeah, yeah, because Skook number one and there are still a lot of seats bank around and they they think or they they know. I don't know that they that they still have Skook number one, but that there is no Skook number one anymore. The only Scoot number one that is around is very diluted, very very deluded, really nothing to compare with with the skunk number one anymore. Maybe maybe when said the screwing Melis, he tells that I'm room, but I have never seen it, and I think there is there is no skin. There is no real skunk number one anymore around.
Speaker 3: That interesting is because when he went there he gave seeds to you, he gave some seeds to Neville. It sounds like he gave some seeds to Bernard from Positronics Mellow Yellow.
Speaker 4: What was the what was the little was the community in Amsterdam? Then? Did everyone know each other?
Speaker 2: Because yes, the thing is, we didn't live in Amsterdam, we still don't be live in Amsterdam, and there wasn't the Ampsterdam scene was more about outdoor growing, and and and and and and we we I think we were the first ones in Holland to grow indoors. And and when when when Sam Sam teached a lot of people how to grow in a greenhouse. And since Sam arrived and hold On, people started to grow in greenhouses because you could do it without a lot of trouble, because nobody knew about how it smells and how it looks. And basically, the the first five years that them was around, a lot of greenhouse growing was going on. And he basically teached everybody in alland how to do it. And we didn't grow any greenhouse because in our opinion, we thought better to do it indors and nobody can see it, and it's more safe to do it. But because at the end of the day, all the all the greenhouses were always always bursted. They could do one crop maybe second croup was already yeah burst. Because hold On is a small country and there is no countryside at all. The greenhouses are always close to a village, close to a town with a lot of people around hold a lot of people living ones, you know.
Speaker 4: Half the country.
Speaker 3: It seems like you reclaimed from the sea, you know, uh.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Besides Hayes and Skunk, what else did you get from Sam?
Speaker 2: Uh No, we did not get anything else. Neville he get he got like early.
Speaker 4: Pearl, early pearl from Rob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, early pearl and a few other ones. But also we were not we were not too much in touch with Neville because the Nevill's approach was different than our approach. We were underground people and we were not really too fun to to receive a lot of people we don't know in our house. And then and in those days, Neville had the the Canabis Castle, and everybody even more or less welcome over that, and especially when you came with a lot of money to buy seats. Everybody was welcome. And we were always more like, let's let's try to keep it underground, and let's let's try to do it in a more more or less safe way, because we didn't want to get cold, and we wanted to go one in this business for forever, you know. And Neville was more Ada devil, and he was like, I don't know who came to his house anymore. I I really don't know if he knew. I think so, yeah, because a lot of Americans in those days they came to Amsterdam, and everybody was welcomed nevill Space, but we were we were more careful.
Speaker 4: To we we were just talking.
Speaker 3: We were just talking about a little bit about skunk one, a little bit about Sam skunk Man and where he got his seeds from. Oh, besides Sam, where were some other sources? In the previous conversation you had with Matt, you told that a lot of stuff you got you were getting off seeds from buds out of coffee shops. Were there any other people or sources once you started making super Stativa Seed Club?
Speaker 4: Were people coming to find you and trace?
Speaker 2: But they were they were coming to but they couldn't find this.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: The only the only one who who could find this was at and George Savants and and the chief that were five times.
Speaker 4: Stephen Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And then those were the only three people who could face this because we were really like we knew what we were, we understood what we were doing, you know.
Speaker 3: So then that that leads me to another question. In your catalog, you have something called Oakland, Indica.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: As to where that where you got that or where it came from.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know it because a few times because we had a lot of clients, of course, and we we we received a lot of letters in those days, and a few times people send us seats, but not only a few times. And I think because Oakland that that it was somebody from Oakland, because in those days we got like one hundred letters every day, you know, and it was really fun for us to read all those letters. And also we we asked people to help us to to to distribute the seats in the US, and just we were just reading the letters and he thought, oh, this guy is a nice guy because he understands how it works and he understands so there was a really nice job for me to read all these letters and to answer them as well, because we even nowadays still get letters from people from from all days. And they said a nice to see you back, and do you remember that we bought isn't that from you? Of course, that's really really funny. And when we started again a few years ago, we got a letter from somebody and he says, now, yeah, nowadays, mother nature is legal in the US.
Speaker 5: And that we really thought a guy who writes a letter and said modern nature is legal now you know, it used to be illegal.
Speaker 2: But now we are happy that it's legal. And that were those were the letters that we really liked of people who understood how crazy it is to make mother nature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you got about the Durban Thai high flyer, Now that was one of your most famous lines. We still see it around to day. Do you have any memories surrounding it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's this was a very satifa, pure satifa, of course. And also because of Durban is so in the south of the world that it's almost in the same latitude then holand this. But then so the flowering times they are more or less the same than our flowering times because we our our our harvest. Our autumn starts in September. Yeah, and then also the the winter in harvest, it's getting cold. So we were lucky to have the Durban flowering so early.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, coffee didn't agree with me.
Speaker 4: I threw up. That's why I left.
Speaker 3: He was we you know, he we were trying to talk about, like, you know, who he met and where he got things from. Okay, so the Durban was a very was the is the one Sativa that's sort of an early finisher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it worked well in Holland.
Speaker 2: Yes, and and and and the combination with the tie, because the tie is a very very late flowering yeah, and then it then it's finished, so like half October or something. And that's nice for us, of course, because in October sometimes when you're lucky, the weather is still good. Yeah. But but our our main customers in the US were the people from California, the Vietnam veterans, people that back from Vietnam. They started to do the Gila farming and they really they made money with it as well, so they did they sent us a nice amount of money. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean from our perspective, you know, back then, especially Indica's and things like that were pretty rare. And even though California and America there was there was you know, there was a lot of things going on.
Speaker 4: People didn't know each other.
Speaker 3: So really, like one of the most interesting things about what happened with you guys for us is that, you know, like you were saying before, a bunch of stuff flowed from America over to Amps, over to Holland. Yeah, and went everywhere in America. It went to the South, that went to the north, New York.
Speaker 2: It went to the and that was our goal. That was our goal. That's why we did this, because we thought, in those days, yeah, there's no internet, so your your your friends lived close to you in the same town, so you can swap seets with your friends. But it's doesn't spread the whole country, you know. And then and since we were starting, we got let the from everybody, a lost uh, Texas whatever. And then so we thought, when all the refrigerators in these states are filled with seats, it's a difficult thing to stop it. There's this movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Francis, I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to lay down for a bit, but I'm gonna leave this going. So if you don't see me I start.
Speaker 4: I got a little sick thrown out. You can handle it going, we handling.
Speaker 1: No, I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. Okay, all right, keep going.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are you.
Speaker 3: One one of your biggest varieties that you had, and there was something called Basic five. Do you remember much about Basic five or some of the hybrids you had or the basic five?
Speaker 2: I don't know the Basic five anymore, you don't know?
Speaker 3: Okay, what about the what about your What about the creeper or the kyber pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the the creeper, the creeper. We called it the creepy because it was really the plant was not upright, but it was laying down more or les.
Speaker 3: Oh that's why I always assumed it was the high.
Speaker 2: But it was no, no, no, no, no, no, no, it was not. It was not about the high. It was really about the more logic aspects of the of the of the plant. Because normally a plant is like more or less like a Christmas treet, but this one was like bending over and laying down, you know. And I still like this kind of plant plants because they gave you a big harvest room for beds, you know. And and and the k the kit that was becross it with an Afghani I think because of Afghani that and hold on the Hush from Afghanistan was really very popular. And I don't know where we got the seats from it, I don't know. I don't know anymore.
Speaker 3: Now, did you guys ever grow flowers for coffee shops or did you just focus on seeds?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yeah, yeah, because we did. We were growing for the coffee shops as well. Yeah, yeah, because they liked our indoor wheat because it was quite, it was new, and in those days, we we were worrying a little bit about the fact that our wheat was green because people they were used to to buy marijuana was always brown, so half rotten meat as we call it now, and and and our indoor marijuana was green. So we thought, oh, nobody's going to buy this because they don't because green. The only green marijuana we knew was that was the native wheat, and that was the wheat that we grew in our backyard and it didn't have birds, it was only leaves, and it was green. So we were afraid that people thought our wheat was neither beat. So we tried to make it. We tried to make it brown to to to be able to to to sell it. But after a few and I don't know, maybe after a year, everybody said, I don't know, the green ones is the best one? Is smith better than the brown man? No mind, don't worry about the color. Will we buy it anyway? So yeah, that was really that was a really friendy thing that we really peop were really worried about the green color.
Speaker 3: It really were because it was so because the part about that is that everything was so new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that was new. It was new. And the first since Themilia that I saw in Holland that was somebody. And then one year we were lucky enough to have a good September in holand normally it's raining in September already, but in this September there was a lot of sun. So in the coffee shop where I worked, somebody came with a garbage bag full of big birds and they were not primmed at all, and I thought, where does this come from? Because we really didn't. It was the first time we saw a green tick bird plant. But this was also I think a durban poison or something that he was lucky to grow some urban poison seeds in a year that we had a very good, nice September, so the plant was to finish. And that was really the first time that I saw sinzemia as because of that.
Speaker 4: You got into weed was by working in a coffee shop.
Speaker 2: Yes, I worked in a coffee shop when I was like eighteen years or nineteen years old, and then one of our customers came.
Speaker 6: To me and he said, I I am I I'm a reader of High Times magazine, and I saw how they grew, how they grow plants already because at Rosendhal was one of the first to start it all days, I think in the US. And this guy said, I bought a metal heirlight lamp because we have a big horticulture center here and all that. And in those days, the greenhouse grower they they used it to grow catty the metal airlines. And he went there to buy a lamp and he said, I want to grow and I want to start to use it.
Speaker 2: And I thought, I live in the squat house, and let's do it. And Okay, that's how it started. Because this guy, he didn't he was reader of High Times magazine. Saw in High Times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when you so most of most of super Stativa Seed Club's work was all done indoors, whether you were growing buds for coffee shops or whether you were making seed.
Speaker 2: For your Yes, yeah we did.
Speaker 4: We did everything, kept it inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was all because of Yeah we did it was it told it's too cold inland, you know, and in a greenhouse it's the holand is too crowded to grow in a greenhouse, and it's.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Everybody got caught always in the greenhouse.
Speaker 4: So we were growing. Did you have garages? Were you growing in bedrooms?
Speaker 2: We had garages, and we bought at one point we bought a house, especially with the luid and no, no, and I know those we were scrouters. You know what scuoters are. Yes, And if you are a scoter, you always have a house. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you you squatted in the house and then you set up some lights, and you set up some rooms to do breeding and grow weed, and you sold the weed to the coffee shops and you sold seed catalog.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, and we were we were squatter, but we earned a lot of money.
Speaker 4: That's very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you're not in it for the money man, because but it was nice to have money to do that. A lot of money came to us, of course, but it was not really our the basic thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The funny thing for us is that now you know, there's so many seed companies in America and there's a lot of seed company in Europe and everything like that. But when when you guys started and when Neville started, there was really only you two. Yeah, that was easy. Like you said, if you went to Positronics, if you went to Holland and went directly to certain coffee shops. Maybe you could get some seed in order to order things. There was only two Yeah really, so that your that your company stuff and Nevill's company stuff got spread so far and wide.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. But but when netll stopped, sense the Seats took over.
Speaker 4: The took over and they bought.
Speaker 2: Basically that's how sens you started. They bought netll stopped and then they started and the name Sensy Seats and the Ben Drunk, the one that's the guy who started. Is this is really a big, a big thanks to Ben because he was really the guy with the biggest balls, you know, he went on very very started where we stopped.
Speaker 3: So do you think that did Nevill's sell his company to Ben and Allen because of the trouble he got in?
Speaker 2: I think? So? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you were in the community back then? Were you ever we like, was it a small enough community that you were close to a lot of these people?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yet, But the thing is I said before, we were not really we were. We had our own group of people and we were not we we didn't live in Amsterdam, you know. So so you didn't.
Speaker 4: Live in Amsterdam, you lived in different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we lived in the Hague. That's that's close to Amsterdam. But so we we we we we trying to be to be honest, we tried to stay out of all those groups.
Speaker 4: Tried to keep your head and stay quiet and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes that's the idea. Really And we were not like behaving like work stops or something. We were just we were just quoted running a kind of received business.
Speaker 3: So how did how did how did like Jorge Servantes and Ed Rosenthal, how did they find you?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? They centered the letter. Yeah, they write it because in those days you wrote.
Speaker 4: Letters to people.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, and you put you put the stamp on the envelope and then you put it in the mailbox. That was Maybe it's a good idea that we go back to this kind of communication then because nobody can listen to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah did they? Did they? Did they bring seeds to or did they want to.
Speaker 2: Just come out? But I have a nice anecdote about George Savantas because he came to visit us and he asked us to to show around, to show to show him the Dutch greenhouse, because in those days the Dutch greenhouse? Did they they were growing under a metal under HPS lights that we had greenhouses with ten thousand HPS lights in it, and he never he didn't ever see this, And so we gave him a tour and he came. He showed up in the tour with a nice T shirt Kanabise, USA, California, and no, no, no, no, that's not how it goes. You have to put put on some different tea shirts man, because we doun the show you around in the greenhouse arounding this T shirt and said, oh, why that is legal in Holland, isn't it. No, no, no, it's not legal at all. Everybody thinks it legal, but it's it is not legal. So we had to teach a little bit how to behave in Aland.
Speaker 3: We had the same We had the same issue in California where I live. When medical first happened twenty years ago. A lot of people thought it was legal, but it's really legal.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like Holland. It was permitted, but you still get in trouble anytime.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know a lot of people from California and they still they always tell me it's still illegal.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, it's still. It was still whether or not the cop wanted to be nice to you. They could you any which way they wanted. And it was kind of the same about Holland I'm sure too. It all depended on the attitude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And that's that's why maybe try to keep it a little bit granted, because of wanted to go out and then I wanted to I'm I'm I'm having a family and everything, and that was really I'm not that type of guy who wants to be in the big pictures me either.
Speaker 4: I feel you on that.
Speaker 3: Uh So, after you started breeding at supersitvs. Seed Club for a while and you realize that you got popular, did you start keeping a lot of breeding males and breeding females like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah basically yet like the nice collection of males and females. And in those days we did not do the feminized breeding that didn't exist yet, so it was not so very difficult to breeding that we did. So we we sometimes did a little bit in breeding and but not too much. It was more we we basically did female hunting and the best ones we liked we crossed with each other and and everybody was having ready seats because for a lot of people, our customers was it's either nothing or something from Amsterdam that really gives you nice flowers, nice nice boots. And the people sent us photos and sent us letters and they were really hit. The photos they sent they were really nice photos and everybody was happy. It was really nice.
Speaker 3: How many how many people were involved in your in your company?
Speaker 2: Yeah we have. We were two people that did, and like four or five people helping us.
Speaker 4: Like a little collective.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, collective yeah yah, yeah, that's so yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: At the biggest part of it, how many houses did you have or how many how many different places were you grown, like five.
Speaker 2: Six different places? Yeah, to grow, But we we did not do that because in those days there were also people who were really five years or so. A lot of people that came into the they rented big warehouses and put two hundred lamps in it.
Speaker 7: But we we, you know, we did it on a smaller scale because we all we were not growing that much weed were more more growing seeds in those days.
Speaker 3: I'm mean, there's a there's a lot of you know, you could call them American seed companies these days that exist just like that.
Speaker 4: It's some basement, it's a few.
Speaker 2: Bedroom, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I can, Yeah, because I see a lot of people. They they have some bloans and the make crosses and and and a new sheet company is born.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or they have to have a couple of houses.
Speaker 2: One second, yes, h h h h yeah, yeah, I bet I beg, I beg.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Your skunk? Yeah really old?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How long does it flower?
Speaker 2: For? Twelve weeks? And and the better do one week of thirteen weeks? Thirteen?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And how did it? I mean thirty five years old.
Speaker 3: I'm always fascinated by how things survive because for us in America, it seems like every five or ten years, uh, the weed, the seed game reinvents itself and you.
Speaker 4: Can't get what you used to be able to get. So did it did it?
Speaker 3: Was it just so such a nice cut and there's such a nice plant that various people saved it and passed it around.
Speaker 2: Is it something it has been always in like two or three places, and like you said, it was more like a group of people HEV you work with, And yeah, it's still around and we all we let them. We have our mother plant. When it's like three or four months old, we take a new cut we throw away the old plant and we start from with a little clone again and a few friends of me, of my they have it. And then yeah, because you can you can imagine in thirty five years, there are lots of things happening. Really, we are proud of We are proud of it to still have it, and we are now working on trying to to to breed it. We are working with a few American varieties because we like from those days. We like the big firm buds with a lot of resin, but sometimes it lacks a little bit of flavor, a little bit of taste and smell. And now we are trying to put the smell of the gold to haze and high preferable as well, and the taste into a new and into the American rights. And that takes a while, but it's really interesting. And to see a plant that grows like a cookie or something mm hmmm, American style and then with the old school hate taste and smelling. That's that's the thing that we are working on. And maybe people some people tell, ah, why do you do this? You try to keep it like it is, But I want to because at the end of the day, a lot of people are on commercial these days, and it's nice to have a big yield, of course, but also a fluffy butd is nowadays considered like bee quality. A lot of people don't understand that at the end of the day, you cripple your bird, you put it in a paper and you smoke it. So it doesn't it isn't really a big deal. How the bit loves.
Speaker 4: I agree, the big deal and how it.
Speaker 2: Works, but you agree, and I agree, But a lot of people the I also.
Speaker 3: Want you know, yes, I mean, and the way that that social media works now a lot of times the only things that people see of different buds or pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sookie.
Speaker 3: Might look very ugly, even though it might work wonderfully and make you very happy and it might take great you can't tell that through the picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because because now if I if you have five, like five different varieties, and four of them are American things, and one of them is a sativa thing, and everybody says the sativa things, we don't we want to we don't want to have it because it looks strange for us, frange, and especially because I'm six to three or years old already, so and the normally it's I think it's normal that the younger people like all the things, but we also want to show things from the past.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean it.
Speaker 3: I mean, for instance, you know, it's really interesting because for us Skunk one, you know, to bring it back again is very very, very different from what you experienced. I don't think I experienced Skunk one like you remember it time that we got a hold of it.
Speaker 4: What you remember was gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that happened a lot where if you don't have old things, or people aren't saving old cuttings, or you can't get old seeds to sprout, then the way will remember something.
Speaker 2: It's just gone.
Speaker 4: How long ago?
Speaker 3: You get excited again about maybe you could restart Super Sativa Seed Club in a new form.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but we already started it, but we don't tell the because those are the wile days. Nowadays it's it's not a good idea to sell something in the US from home.
Speaker 4: No, not yet. It could change. We're slowly in that direction, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Have you ever heard of Didge Passion, Yes, yeah, because we work together with Ditch Passion, the digital friends of us, and they are there is really a very successful seat company. But they don't sell one seat in the US. And if you know that half of the visitors of the website comes from the US, Yeah, we don't sell one seat, you know it.
Speaker 3: Hopefully that will change in the next For so years, it looks America.
Speaker 2: We're complicated in the US man with those federal laws, and it's really not a good idea. And no, but maybe one day things change and then we can because because it's of course crazy that half of the visitors of a website it comes from the US, comes from the US. Yeah, they want the buses, but we don't do it.
Speaker 4: I understand.
Speaker 3: When uh so is is uh so basically you're making stuff for the Holland market.
Speaker 2: Now, uh you're in market for you.
Speaker 3: You were talking in the in the previous interview you did with Matt you were talking about how you sort of like recollected some other hazes besides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because now I mean in a good position of course too. I know a lot of people, and I know all the hate hats from Europe, you know.
Speaker 3: No, I mean you're certainly of that generation that you know probably known these people for decades.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and and and and and we are happy that a lot that the hates people always are the people who really understand h how important it is to to save things. And there is still a lot of stuff around, you know, because we have like five five different loans still and the other people. We we have the old school hate, we have the Annal five times has and they have the hate C and the Hate A. And it's not the boy as everybody thinks. But because we have the girls and we have the outback Hage. That's the last thing nevill.
Speaker 4: Made. So he's the ha the famous boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, The thing is there is a lot of confusion going on always about the hases boys and girls. But what we have is the Haes A and the A C and it's both girls and it's really yeah, and and of course you have the A five and C five. I perfinitely don't have it, but my friends have it, and it's really when we want to use it to make a cross or something, we can have it. But it's it's a group of people and everybody knows each other. It's from the South.
Speaker 3: But when you when you're talking about the girls that are A and C, you're not talking about A five or C five.
Speaker 4: You're talking about different.
Speaker 2: It's different plants. Yeah, and it's really the especially the Hayes. The one I like best is the outback, the outback, Yeah, because the outback hage is really the incense smell. It has the incense smell and it's it makes you high, totally high. It's really when you smoke it. Then then you think hm hmm and the stone at all, and then half an hour later you think where was I?
Speaker 4: I didn't anything very that's a female you got from friends? Or is that a female seed?
Speaker 2: We we got it, We've got uh yeah, yeah, I don't think you know them. She's called Miska. Miska is a famous activist here in Europe. She's from France. It's a it's a it's a. It's an older lady and she's really an activist and she was the best friend of A Nevil and Nevill gave this to her and since she passed away, she see, never passed away. Yeah, she gives it to us also because he's old. He's quite old already. And then she it's like, what's said that you gave it to somebody who knows who who can handle it? You know, who knows who knows how to to save it.
Speaker 4: Are you planning on doing some breeding with somebody.
Speaker 2: Doing breeding, because we we are now doing a breeding, but that's feminized breeding, because when you have two girls, there's no man, there's no man, so you need you need to do feminize breeding, and we have now we have to and still yeah, I think it's going to be a successful project because we we we When you're breeding, you have to establish a few goals. Goals already not too much, but our goals are always the high, the smell, and the taste.
Speaker 4: Those are my top three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice when there is a word of resin to be seen, but we don't go for a flowering time or something. No, no, because now we also can do someone breeding in legal situations, so then we don't have to worry about the flowering time, right. Yeah, because a lot of people DNA genetics, you know them, of course, yes, maybe they are also friends with us, and they said, yeah, it's nice what you're doing, but it's going to be a problem to sell those seats because in those noways, people don't want to spend twelve or twelve weeks thirty weeks waiting for their office anymore. It's changing I think, I hope so, because when you're growing legal like you guys can do this there, Why why should you bother about the flowering time?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Now, for a long time they were right. People didn't want things that went longer than eight to ten weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they have to run there. It's a bit of police, a bit the police on their heels and to make sure that it comes in fast.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of people now that are willing to do twelve, thirteen, even fourteen week strains if they're nice enough. People are getting excited about it.
Speaker 2: And also regarding weight, the extra three weeks will give you forty percent extra weight, right. The best, the best yielding varieties are the STIFA varieties. And they all laugh a little bit about there's something making a little bit fun about the new American strains. You like that. But they don't yield.
Speaker 3: No, No, there's a lot of them that don't yield. That's very true, of course. Yeah, so they don't, you know they so your your skunk haze. The haze in it is from one of the ten seeds that Nevill that Sam.
Speaker 2: I think that there is nothing closer to the real Haysee than the skunk haze that I.
Speaker 3: Have because most people, it seems like most people in Holland ended up using a lot of Neville's hybrids of haze, and those could be a lot of the one the cuts that got saved, yes, but as a result of that that that means that most haze is only from one or two plants. Yes, so you have third you have you have haze that's not even his, which is pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the difference between our and Nevill's hases. Neville Neville did all the his crosses with northern lights, and we did it at skirnt number one mm hmm northern lights that you can also see in like A five and C five and all those it's all hayes with northern light in it. And northern light is not really a plant with a nice taste. It's like a metallic a metallic taste, and it's really not There are not the turps in the and the and the and the crosses that never made are not so nice then the turps in the in the skunk case, because the skunk was a really turang. So we were ready that our line. Our line is with skirt number one and Nevil's lines are with with the Northern Mordern Lights, and Northern lights came from the US.
Speaker 4: I had a little bit of a connection.
Speaker 3: Are there are there coffee shops and stuff like that where where people can still get your skunk has on any kind of basis, Yeah it's yes, yes, yes, yeah, it's still available.
Speaker 4: Like if people were to go to you can find it lucky.
Speaker 2: But only a few people grow it because it's complicated to grow, really need to have your climate under control, and in an illegal situation, it's not so very easy because then you need to work with airco units, you know, because the skunk case, when the temperature rises above twenty eight celsius, then they start to run the boots, and that means then it gets very fluffy, and sometimes you get like ten branches, and then you start again. And when this happens after eight weeks of flowering again, twelve weeks of flowering starts and then I be talking about twenty weeks and that's too much. That's why you really, you really know, it's really a very difficult plan to grow. If you have too much nutrients, they start to right and they start to do crazy things.
Speaker 4: And if you do it the right way. It takes twelve or thirteen weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and the right is not one hour above twenty eight gray clses, not one day when you have one day when when your airco breaks down or something, it's.
Speaker 3: Gone, it's gone. So you, uh, what excites you about your new your new venture with super Stativa Seed Club.
Speaker 4: Are you working? Are you working with your son? Are you working with I.
Speaker 2: Worked a little bit my son. Yeah, I have two cents. And and then and also we are we are we are very close to get the permits to grow and al and legal. Yeah, because now the Dutch government issued ten permits to grow legal for the coffee shops. And we were lucky enough to win the lottery. Because it was a lottery, hundred and fifty people applied for the for the license and only forty went through the first round. Because you need to be able to grow a lot of feed, you need to have money, you need to have the skills to do it, you need to have the contents in the coffee shop. And we all have this. And then basically there were forty people left and then they made a lottery and we were lucky enough to win one of the pyramids.
Speaker 3: So when you win it, does that mean that at some point in the future, like Matt and I could fly to Holland and we could buy superstitiva seed club weed at coffee. Yes, and it would be branded and we know it was from you, and you threw it in a legal facility, and then you'd sell it to like dam Kring or somebody like that.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. Yes, that's the idea.
Speaker 4: That's very exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the idea. It will take it because now it's a government basement, so it takes a little bit lore. You know, as you can imagine, we're waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting that one one. Then a few weeks and a month we will get the permit, and then.
Speaker 4: It's very fun.
Speaker 2: We do it in a peaceful way because.
Speaker 4: That's that's it's a lifetime of waiting for that. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because for me especially, it's very nice because then the circle is around, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, California is the same way.
Speaker 4: It's just become legal.
Speaker 3: But a lot of money, a lot of rules, a lot of regulations, a lot of government involved, a lot of permits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be lucky enough to to have the example of Canada and the US to tell our government if you want to make this a success, they don't make the same mistakes as they did in Canada. So because in Canada people from the black market can't be involved in this. But here in Holland, we told the government without people from the black market, this is not going to be successful. No, the people from the black market, they know how to do it. And basically where there's the government can get information from, they can't. You can't read the information about these kind of things in the paper. So you need to talk with people from the black market. We basically helped the government to make this happen.
Speaker 4: You did, you worked with the government is.
Speaker 2: Wise enough to understand that they don't can do this without the black market.
Speaker 3: So then when if they make it legal, will you mostly be going in greenhouses like traditionally we bought.
Speaker 2: A nice greenhouse and we'll do a combination of greenhouse and indoor growing.
Speaker 4: An indoor growing.
Speaker 2: Organic gab you would be very one hundred percent again again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you call it bio over there.
Speaker 2: That's bio here. Yeah, it's called it by bio. Yeah, so yeah, the circle is around then, Yeah, do we have more questions? It's nice talking.
Speaker 3: We can talk for hours, of course, no, I mean we can, we can wrap it up if you want. That was I mean, it is nice talking just because I mean to us, you guys are like the you guys are like the first wave. Yeah, I think we know your name, put your neck out there. You had companies and seeds. Yeah, a lot of this stuff that we grow today has a lot of your guys's genetics in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think so, yeah, yeah, And that's nice to hear it. Man. And then we see, we are very happy to see what's going on in the state, in the States, and we you have you have of course a very feel very serious seed companies over there now and full of everything, you know, everything, and it's really we are really happy to see. But nowadays it's called Cali wet here in Holland. That's really uh, the guys are doing a great job over there.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, really excited. I mean, if things opened up, I would love to.
Speaker 3: Obviously we can share as much knowledge as we want without getting in trouble, but hopefully we can, hopefully one day soon we can share more strains and more seeds again and and everything.
Speaker 4: So I mean, if.
Speaker 3: If, if you want to wrap it up here that that's that's wonderful.
Speaker 4: I thank you so much for your time. It was wonderful to hear these stories.
Speaker 3: It was really nice, really appreciate, and we could do it.
Speaker 2: And you have more questions, it's all it's fun to answer the man.
Speaker 3: I would love to I would love to do it again. Yeah, how about it again soon?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, y, good wonderful day, ca very nice to meet. Yeah, alrighte, bye bye