Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Swamp Watch comes at the top of the hour. And there's a development coming out of the White House. They have said that they are not going to do a news conference today with Prime Minister net Yahoo and President Trump net Yah, who's at the White House today for a visit.
Speaker 3: But the traditional.
Speaker 2: Dual news conference apparently will not be happening, and they haven't explained why, but the President Trump is expected to take some questions regarding tariffs.
Speaker 1: We were asking for your earliest memory. We got one from our buddy Dave Over at ABC seven. He is their automotive expert, and so his first memory is funny. When I was three, we lived in New Jersey, he says, for a short time, I remember the man across the street had a Pontiac and he backed it into the driveway.
Speaker 4: I just thought that was so cool and remember it to this day.
Speaker 5: Fun Hey, Gary Channon, this is Christine in Dallas, Texas. My earliest memory is when I was three years old. I was in a bad car accident with my mom and I vividly remember it, and I was told like my whole life that there's no way I could remember something so young until I actually met the man that pulled me out of the car at fifteen. He was a tanner at the Tanning salon I worked at.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 4: He was a what at the Tanning salon?
Speaker 3: Hanner at the Tanning salon?
Speaker 4: Interesting. I don't think I remember a dude that went to the tanning.
Speaker 2: I remember a car accident as well that was like as a child, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I remember the car.
Speaker 2: I remember the intersection, and it apparently was a lot worse than We didn't get hurt, but the car itself was pretty well destroyed. Because I remember asking whatever happened to that blue Chrysler that we used to have, and they said, well, it was in the accident.
Speaker 3: It was totaled. After that, oh.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, and then it was was did it was the accident like just at Water Street, right below the bridge, Yeah, right there were the Yes, that's exactly where it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they t boned us from the right side.
Speaker 2: And Mom was like, how do you even how could you possibly remember that old two or three something?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Because I remember being here, you remember the car, and I would not have been in a car seat. Just to be clear, this would have been no. I mean, but I also had two football field size acres of land back there, right if you.
Speaker 1: Were in the back on the sofa drinking lead, not in a car seat, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So cow vintage motels are back getting life breathed back into them.
Speaker 1: Love this idea because it's so cool to see those old neon signs, the shape of them, and I love the idea of an old motel. I love the idea of staying in one. And then I think of in theory, it sounds school. It's kind of like Greg getting one of those sprinter vans and taking it across the country. Sounds great in theory, but when you think about the smells and what would go on, it's less romantic, isn't it. The idea of staying in one of these is so cool and at the same time oh so dirty and old and no but apparently there get It's like a renaissance, a rebirth, as it is they talk about in the La Times, the farmhouse motel. This was a fifties property, riverside property, and they have rebirthed it. It has been given new life as a mini mall, food hall, and music.
Speaker 4: Venue, and it's doing very well.
Speaker 1: This is a renovation project that we're seeing at other mid century motels. Some have been moving upscale, becoming boutique hotels. Some have been leveled acquired by the governments as trendsditional housing. But there are a rare few in southern California that have taken on new commercial afterlives. The Farmhouse, Roy's Motel and Amboy Pink Motel in Sun Valley.
Speaker 3: That one I've driven by a couple of times.
Speaker 2: That's a really cool because if nothing else, listen, even if you're not using it as a motel hotel, whatever, the fact that it's kept up the exteriors of it so that you can use I mean, the Pink Motel specifically is used for a bunch of different TV and movie shots because it looks so great on the outside and it doesn't you don't need anything on the inside at that point.
Speaker 1: They write, the most dramatic nonprofit example of motel rebirth maybe the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, the site of MLK Junior's assassination, reopened in ninety one as the National Civil Rights Museum. Recent commercial examples Ferguson's downtown in Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: Is that the old is that the old?
Speaker 1: D I don't remember anyway, nineteen forties motel reborn as a food in retail center in twenty nineteen. You've got the La Hacienda motel in Albuquerque, dude open this year. But that would be a fun project to, isn't it like grat buying one of these old hotels for you would assume dirt cheap and turning it into something well.
Speaker 2: Like I said, the place I stayed in over the weekend was a house that was built in nineteen oh eight.
Speaker 3: That's so cool, middle of Texas.
Speaker 2: And then just within the last year they reopened it as an airbnb, but they had redone. They redid the floors obviously because they were just destroyed, but most of the interior siding stayed the same. They just painted it. And then the roof or not the roof. The ceiling in each room was slightly different from reclaimed wood that was either taken from that same property or from other pieces around Waco that were then put in there. So it was it was really cool. And then all of the modern, you know, a great brand new everything in the kitchen was brand new, so you had whatever comfort you had of just having you know, good.
Speaker 4: What did it looked like from the outside.
Speaker 3: You have pictures, I can show you a picture. Yeah, it looks like an old house. I mean, and it was.
Speaker 2: It was just very well taken care of the family that owns it. Apparently they don't live there. We had to ask them a couple of questions. They don't live there, but they this was their investment property. And in the entryway to the house, they have some picked eight or ten pictures of the process of reh.
Speaker 3: Wow, which is kind of neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm sure there's a lot of stories that go into it, but it was there's something about we don't see it here in California as much. A house it's one hundred years old here is very rare. I mean, Neil talks about he has a house that's that old. But you know, the house I live in was built in two nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no there's no history to it.
Speaker 2: It's not but there are other places around this country where one hundred year old house is not uncommon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is cool.
Speaker 1: I like where I lived, we've got one hundred old houses. Do they look like it, Yeah, I do. I mean they look like they've been you know, repainted, and but yeah, they've seen a lot.
Speaker 6: All Right, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It is Monday, April seventh. We'll get into the tariff talk here in just a moment. We get into swamp watch some other stuff that's going on though. Rivers, rows, flooding is getting worse in the South and the Midwest. Several communities that are already water logged got even more heavy rain and storms yesterday. At least eighteen people have died from Texas to Ohio. Utilities who have been scrambling to shut off power and gas cities have been deploying sandbags to try to protect homes and businesses. Forecasters have worn that flooding could persist for days, especially in the areas around Kentucky Tennessee, Alabama. Some rivers that inundated towns rose to near record levels and expected to crest sometime today, but that the rain is not necessarily over for the week, so it could get even worse.
Speaker 1: Uncontroversial celebration in Washington, d C. Today Dodgers went to be honored for winning the championship before we kick off swamp Watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar. And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing that lollipops.
Speaker 6: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 3: The other side never quits.
Speaker 7: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 1: So now you train the squad, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by.
Speaker 8: What has been.
Speaker 3: You know, amervants have always been going at present. They're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political plunder is what a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Have the people voted for you were not swamp Watch. They're all counternoed.
Speaker 1: Now, President Trump is somebody who's around it himself with beauty his whole life. So you would imagine that DC is a tough road to hoe for him, which is why he said when he took a look at the Dodgers, this is a very good looking group of people.
Speaker 3: Hollywood.
Speaker 2: You see some people, oftentimes like politicians, behind me, it's not so pretty.
Speaker 3: That is a very good looking group of people.
Speaker 4: And that's honest.
Speaker 1: That's one hundred and twenty percent honest for him.
Speaker 2: He took time specifically honoring members of last year's team, Tommy Edmond, of course, the NLCS MVP of the World Series, MVP Freddie Freeman, Mooki Betts, of course, he pointed out and acknowledged, Muki did not go. You may have heard deva mention he did not go when the Red Sox won the World Series and Trump was in office the first time. He also noted Shoheyo Tani's game against Miami back in September, some consider the greatest offensive performance ever six for six with the three home runs ten runs batted in after the Sarah that they did. I think in the East room maybe they gave him. He gave them a tour of the West wing, including a stop there in the Oval office.
Speaker 3: So very cool for them.
Speaker 1: Well, this stock market collapse has continued. It will continue. Somebody picked up the phone today, however, the stock market down. The Dow, I should say, was down about fifteen hundred at one point, it rebounded to being down about one hundred. And it's because in that timeframe Trump, people close to Trump insinuated that, well, we may put a pause on these tariffs, kind of the way you saw them backtrack with Canada and Mexico a month ago or whatever that was, so it kind of calmed down things things on Wall Street.
Speaker 4: Now we're back.
Speaker 1: The Dow's only down about one seventy two, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what goes on tomorrow. What the twenty four hour news cycle brings us when it comes to the thought process behind any sort of pause.
Speaker 3: Well, and we mentioned Benjaminett. Yahoo's at the White House today.
Speaker 2: The White House has canceled their dual news conference and apparently President Trump is going to handle this one by himself. This will be the topic of discussion, these tariffs. So if when that happens, we'll be paying attention to it. Undeterred by what we've seen over the last few days. When it comes to stock prices, President Trump threatened additional tariffs on China today. He delivered it on social media. I don't know how much teeth that has, but we know he's followed through with some of those things. China said it was going to retaliate against the US tariffs that were announced last week. So the way he wrote it up on truth social today, if China does not withdraw it's thirty four percent increase above they're already long term trading abuses.
Speaker 3: By tomorrow, April.
Speaker 2: Eighth, twenty twenty five, the United States will impose additional tariffs on China of fifty percent, effective April ninth. Additionally, all talks with China concerning their requested meanings with US will be terminated. So if if this goes through, if today's threatened tariffs go on, then US tariffs on imports from China would reach a combined one hundred and four percent. The new taxes would be on top of the twenty percent teriffs they renounced as punishment for the fentanyl trafficking another thirty four percent tariff announced last week. Not only is that potentially going to drive prices up for US, including obviously the stuff that we get from China, it gives China incentive to flood other countries with cheaper goods. Because as as these tariffs have been put in place, it's not just it's not just reshuffling our relationships with these individual countries, it's reshuffling the entire deck, the entire table. Because places like China that do have a lot of goods that they can can sell are going to renegotiate their plans with other countries and other portions of the world. So it's not just to say that the same kind of relationships that we have with ally Canada at the UK, we're not going to have that same kind of relationship a week from now that we did a week ago, because there is a certain amount of confidence that those other countries have in US that is at the very least wavering, and they knew what to expect when they would trade with the United States, and now they simply do not.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it goes.
Speaker 2: Maybe there is there is a possibility that the relationship is stronger going on in the future, but it's that uncertainty that drives as we've said many times, it's that uncertainty that drives stock prices down, and you know, has people looking at their four oh one k's and grasping their own throats or grasping their own chess.
Speaker 4: Can you choke your own self? I don't think you can can.
Speaker 3: Would you choke yourself?
Speaker 4: I don't think you can.
Speaker 3: Like would you stay?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Could you passed?
Speaker 9: Out?
Speaker 4: Of course? Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Give it a shot.
Speaker 2: We'll see when the break and see what happens Garrie and Shannon will return, maybe, Deborah Mark, did you finish that show?
Speaker 1: Devra?
Speaker 8: I have a few more episodes, Shannon, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought we were going to catch some hell for talking about this.
Speaker 4: Okay, so to catch you up, I'll catch you up when we come back.
Speaker 10: Gary, Okay, great, I'm going to finish it because I'm.
Speaker 4: In we have to, you have to.
Speaker 3: I did rousing endorsement.
Speaker 8: Well, well I'm not loving it.
Speaker 1: Deborah and I went on the air and we're like, we're going to watch this show. And then I sat down to watch the show and it was like, oh my god, we're going to catch so much heat off of recommending the show.
Speaker 4: Not that we recommended it, We just said we were.
Speaker 8: Going to watch it exactly because it has sex in the title.
Speaker 3: I could go wrong.
Speaker 10: Last God that I never want to hear that ever, ever, ever, ever, ever off. And there's a couple other things in there. I never want to hear things. See yeah again. Yeah, oh boy.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: That's funny because I thought he looked like somebody, but I couldn't place him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have to remember the name, but it is pretty good. The White House does say that other countries are lining up to discuss tariffs and maybe negotiate down so that we don't have reciprocal tariffs anymore. At this point, the news conference between President Trump and Prime Minister net and Yahoo has been called off. The Israeli Prime Minister is at the White House for a meeting today.
Speaker 3: But the only problems that I'm sorry, the only.
Speaker 2: Information we're getting out of the White House is that their dual news conference has been called off and that President Trump will be speaking from the Oval Office relatively soon. We've told you about Wall Street's reaction. In the first few minutes of trading, the Dallas drowned down about sixteen hundred points. It briefly was in positive territory again and has now sort of made up most of its losses, is down just about seventy points as of right now. We're also asked earlier today, what was your earliest memory.
Speaker 7: Probably my earliest memory was when I was five or six. I remember going out on a day walk without telling my mother, who apparently called the cops, and I remember that the cops looked at me. I saw two adults and they were like, can you come here? And all I could think was, you know, the stranger danger. I took off running. They caught me, and they returned me to my mother, who was very glad to get me back.
Speaker 4: Wait did he say cops?
Speaker 1: Yeah, stranger danger does not apply to cops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if he didn't know who they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I only thought that because my grandfather was a cop and he was pretty much my favorite person. I don't know if I if I grew up with bad feelings about cops, I'd probably run the hell away from him from Hey.
Speaker 9: Guys, my earliest memory is what all traumatic ones were. It was my mom crying, and I was three when you look back on it, and it was when President Kennedy was shot and killed. Oh God, was crying?
Speaker 3: That actually was pretty common.
Speaker 2: Buch was really parents reaction happening in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 1: Sixty sixty three, and then sixty eight was the next round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, what is the show you guys are watching that you guys are Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I have.
Speaker 1: Told Deborah Deborah, okay, Deborah and I have been in this draft of good shows to watch, and she said, well, I saw this trailer and zied sex and the title.
Speaker 4: I don't remember it.
Speaker 1: And then she texted me I think Thursday or Friday and said, oh, I remember it.
Speaker 4: It's coming out today.
Speaker 1: Here it is, and it's called Dying for Sex with Michelle Williams, who's a wonderful actress.
Speaker 4: And I was like, okay, I'm in.
Speaker 1: I started watching it in they're the twenty five minute episodes, so they're nice and easy to get. You know, it could have been a movie easily, and it's kind of movie length. It's probably about two hours once you finish it, which I did. And it starts off the premise is not giving away anything. It's a woman who has cancer. She had had cancer, it came back, it's stronger, it's uncurable this time. She's never had a U. I think you already said it. Yeah, the O situation with another person? The O situation, Well, what do you want me to say? You want me to be more graphic? Probably right, Okay, So it's about that. It's about I want this to happen before I die kind of a thing. And why hasn't she been able to do that? You kind of get into the reasons behind that. It's really well acted, it's funny. It's especially in the first couple episodes, very funny, and and they're very likable. The characters are very likable. It's just it's really the cheesecake Factory menu. As you get into the show, it's like, whoa, So this is going on in the world. Okay, I mean, very little surprises me anymore, but it still happens. And I was a little bit I won't say surprised, but huh, like, okay, right, Deborah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I'm actually surprised that Michelle Williams because she is and she's fabulous in this. She's a great actress. I'm just surprised that she would want to do this. I get that it's it's it's unusual. It's definitely unlike anything you've probably seen. So maybe that's what attracted her. I don't know, it's it's a little too kinky for me.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I was thinking that I'm watching this and I was like, Deborah is not going to make it through.
Speaker 8: This, No, but I'm committed.
Speaker 10: Well, once you're in it, you have to have to I need to see, uh, you know, and then no, I can't.
Speaker 8: I can't give it way, but it really got me. It got me thinking. And that's the other thing about what well, you know, uh, I see, I don't want to give it.
Speaker 10: I don't want to give it away, but just about life and death and who you want to be around when you're dying, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right ends her marriage.
Speaker 8: Oh well, I wasn't going to say that.
Speaker 2: Well that's pretty much that's what they I mean, that's what I know about the show.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know how to get into why, Like it makes the marriage made no sense? Yeah, all right, Yeah, and everybody has you know, not everybody has that, and sometimes people get into things for the wrong reasons and and that's kind of part of it. It's kind of it's kind of part of life decisions, why you make them at the time, and what it all means in the end.
Speaker 4: Like it's really a good show.
Speaker 1: It's it does make you think, I'll give it that once you get past the you know.
Speaker 8: The the creepiness of some of the characters.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And it's like it's like a marriage appreciation show, isn't it.
Speaker 4: God, I didn't know I was out there.
Speaker 10: I know, I know it's crazy and I guess this stuff well, I mean this is based on a true story. I don't know how much of this because there is a disclaimer saying that you know some of the characters are you know, made up, but you kind of think, wow, this is what's going on. I'm just I'm ignorant. Yeah, I really am.
Speaker 1: Well, And there was this one at one moment when the counselor in the show says to her and her friend who they're They're just they're so lovable.
Speaker 5: Her and her.
Speaker 10: Friend she was in that movie with like Lively, it ends with us.
Speaker 7: She was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the therapist once that time says, oh you will you older millennials are so funny. You think sex is all about you know that the in and out men? Shall we say yes? And she's like she's basically like sex is like a vit Like it's like it's everywhere and you're like what.
Speaker 8: Like I started thinking about that.
Speaker 3: I'm like looking.
Speaker 4: Outside looking at that a tree of.
Speaker 8: Like is it there?
Speaker 11: Like what is she talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That was that was too deep for me.
Speaker 1: But it is a good jay Like I love shows that open up my mind, like it makes me happy. To know that there's like things that you know, I like my mind to be opened. I like to learn new things, learn ways that people live that I hadn't thought about before. Like, I do love that. So I think that that was definitely that show. Yeah the Neighbor, Oh where was?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, never mind, I'll talk to you when you're.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, Yeah, I think I'm I think I'm on episode five. I think I just finished it, so I think there's eight, right, so I have three. But I do what I like. What I'm getting out of it is it makes me think and and it does make me think about and I and I think about this actually all the time, and I do have conversations with my husband about this all the time, that you know, life is short and that we really do need to live our best life because we have one shot. And you know, when you when you're you see a woman who's dying of cancer, and you know, she knows that her days are limited, so she wants to live her best life.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 10: Obviously, maybe what she wants out of her you know, a few months left to live, would be different than maybe what I would want her other people, but you know, kudos to her for going for it.
Speaker 1: You know, you hear this conversation being had. You know you think, like Tim McGraw Live Like You Were Dying. You know a yeac love that song, right, we all love that song. But it's like this, this show kind of takes that song a step further in terms of like what you really think about, Like, you know, there's a concept of Live Like you Were Dying, which is the song, yes, right, but then there's the like it's actually happening and how would that manifest?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 10: Yeah, and then it kind of put me in a funk. Then it made me sad, you know what I mean just thinking about that.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Just well, the earthquakes right around the corner breast I start, I open up with a guy that dresses up like a dog.
Speaker 8: Well, no, that I'm not going to do.
Speaker 10: I think, uh, I'm going to continue traveling because that's my passion. But you know, being with a guy that dresses up like a dog and barks and no, no, that is it looks nice, Shannon.
Speaker 3: No, then what he like, you know, come to the bend.
Speaker 8: And she tells him what to do.
Speaker 10: That that's another thing, and tells everybody what to do I don't know that that.
Speaker 8: Stuff just.
Speaker 4: You know, let's not just.
Speaker 8: Let's h I think I've already passed.
Speaker 1: All right, cars, last words, what was that show you girls were watching?
Speaker 3: And then I took a nap?
Speaker 8: And he's going to go watch it tonight, Shannon, and he's gonna come.
Speaker 10: No, he's going tomorrow and he's gonna say what in the world he last.
Speaker 2: Thirty seconds that shout dumb phones may save us from brain rot.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Channon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Again, no word from the White House on the specific timing of this, but President Trump is expected to make some comments today in the context of tariffs and the beginning of this trade war, to see if he's going to pull back from any of it, if he's going to put a pause on it, or if he's just going to push forward and put his foot on the gas when it comes to tariffs, exorbitantly high terriffs on some countries. Brian Chen is a writer for The New York Times. He's the lude, the lead falling after you Guys, the lead consumer technology writer, and it talks about the social implications of the way technology impacts us.
Speaker 1: Do you ever feel like when we talk about this turning off the phone, moving away from brain rot, moving away from scrolling, moving away from phone addiction, the same way when we talk about moving away.
Speaker 4: From process foods, that like people freaking hate that.
Speaker 1: They hate the idea of taking any sort of addiction or any sort of pleasure center being taken away from them, And like we're shouting into an empty well, because it's not like we don't fall prey to all of this stuff.
Speaker 4: Like I love process foods, I love.
Speaker 1: Scrolling and playing my stupid games and whatever looking at Instagram, but I just recognize it's awful for me. And so that's why we talk about this stuff so often. It's like part of it's like we're not holier than now. We're not like, yes, get rid of your phone, get a brick for a phone, and go back to the days of living off the land and eat only apples. It's not like that we do all this stuff. We're just trying to like mitigate that.
Speaker 2: It's funny that you mentioned it because the similarity between this type of activity figuring out how to slow your brain down a little bit and food, because to do the food thing takes a little bit of effort, takes a little bit of determination on your part to buy the stuff that you need to make a food right, not just buy a food, but to put the ingredients together to cook it, to do the research about what's good for you and what's not, and how you can find the best version of whichever product you've got. This is the same thing. This takes a certain amount of determination. You have to be able to say to yourself, I'm not going to take my phone with me if I whatever, if I go for a walk, I'm just gonna sit.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to have to listen to music. I'm not going to get myself so.
Speaker 2: Conditioned where it's for some people stress inducing if I don't have my phone with me, or if I don't have music playing while I'm running, or something like that. It takes that certain amount of determination will nobody has that.
Speaker 7: We don't.
Speaker 3: We're not good at it.
Speaker 2: We're just we haven't practiced it, we haven't tried it, we don't do it very often.
Speaker 3: So it's just like every other thing. You've got to build it up like.
Speaker 2: A muscle, and that that is not easy.
Speaker 3: Nobody in this case.
Speaker 2: When you talk about the amount of stuff that you do with your phone every day, we sit in here for four hours. We don't need our phones, but we still have them with us the entire time.
Speaker 1: But I'll say this, and I have done this. All I need is this phone. It's just not the way this job.
Speaker 4: Was usually done.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have forgotten my laptop before and not needed. You know, in the olden days, it's like you would print all the stories out, or you'd have physical newspapers, and the old and olden days, we used to get every paper delivered to the radio stations I used to work at in the morning, and then in the afternoon you'd get another round of papers. And that's what the talk show hosts would use, physical papers.
Speaker 4: That's what we did.
Speaker 1: And then it became the Internet, and then you'd print all this stuff out or whatever. And now we're at the point of we don't really need all that, We really don't need anything. We just need the So it's it's kind of it's a it's it's a help, and it's a help for everything. And that's why we're so addicted to these things, because they're not without it's not just pure you know, playing, it's not just a video game we're playing with all day. It actually makes a lot of things in life that we have to do easier. But then there's also the constant time suck.
Speaker 2: But but again, and to go back to your your allegory of the process, it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can do the processed foods make collecting, buying, eating the food that much easier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh right, But it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't mean it's better. I mean it can't be. And yeah you can be, you know, a time saver.
Speaker 1: So do you think that we will the pendulum will swing to whatever the next generation of kids is where they just think that they have to have a smartphone because that's the way all the old people do it. They all have smartphones, and we're going to be different. We're just gonna totally turn our backs on technology. I think that I can see that happening.
Speaker 2: We're just going to remember in our heads when our appointment is. I can see it happen. I'm looking forward to it. The thing is, because we're big, dumb animals, we need someone to.
Speaker 3: Do it first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very few people are willing to go out there and be the weird ones on their own and say I'm going to eat a specific way, not to impress you, but to make sure that my body works right. Very few kids are going to be like, you know what, I realize that when my school took my phone away, I did better in school.
Speaker 3: I had better friendships.
Speaker 1: It's not that it's not that that's going to get them there, it's that everyone else is doing it.
Speaker 4: I want to be different.
Speaker 1: It's like when kids stopped having sex because all the previous generations had sex. We're not going to do drugs the straight lace generation. Everyone did drugs in eight I'm not going to do drugs in the nineties or whatever. It's like, it's going against the grain wherever the grain is. If the grain is going in the way of everyone as a smartphone and they're on it all the time, you better believe there's going to be a section of kids who completely turn their back on that.
Speaker 2: In this case, this writer again Brian Chen for The New York Times. He bought a something called a light Phone three from a company in Brooklyn. It's a stripped down phone that really doesn't do much of anything. It places calls, it can send text messages. It can take photos, it can show map directions and then play music or podcasts.
Speaker 3: But that's it.
Speaker 2: There's no web browser, there's no app store, so you can't use it for Uber or something like that. There's no slack, there's no social media. It doesn't even have email. So he used this thing to determine if, in fact it would make a difference in his life to take away again, not even all of it, just some of the functions of your smartphone. He said, I admire the goal. This is his conclusion, by the way, but he says, my experience demonstrates there's nothing we can realistically do or buy to bring us back to simpler times because so many aspects of our lives revolve around our highly capable smartphones. He said it might be better suited as a secondary leisure phone, similar to a weekend car, for people to unplug when they're off, but he said, even then, the camera quality.
Speaker 3: Would be a deal breaker for some of these people. So he tried, I had a given credit. He tried, how.
Speaker 11: Did it get to be the twelve o'clock hour? You and deb were, Oh, we were yapping for a while. Well here we are, aren't you happy?
Speaker 4: Gary? Channel will continue.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap