Speaker 1: Your summer pocket knife of information. It's the only way to stay in formed. Fifty five Arc the Sox Station.
Speaker 2: Eight oh five on a Friday, and a happy Friday to year on the heels of wonderful charity work being done by part for seniors. We pivot over to another unmitigated success story and what an inspiration this is to everyone. Welcome back to the fifty five Krsey Morning Show. Jess Ober, mother of Peyton, who created and founded at the age of six, the Peyton's Lemonade Stand. We're coming up on the date. Welcome back, Jess. It's always a pleasure talking with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Brian, it's always great to chat with you.
Speaker 2: Well, the history of this thing is just amazing when I look year after year and this is the eighth annual Peyton's Lemonade Stand. The money, uh, you raise the money, the sale of the lemonade goes to help children in need. And it started out with your daughter, who was six, decided she wanted to set up a lemonade stand back in twenty eighteen the sole purpose of using all of the money to buy new toys for patients at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. Apparently she got a teddy bear when she was there, and she so thoroughly appreciated that gesture and loved it so much that she knew other children would benefit from the same kind of thing. So she wanted to take some steps and raise some money to that effort. And what a glorious thing. And it's blown up since then. Just oh, my word, that's a good word.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's just it's grown so much. It's been incredible to see the growth for these past eight years.
Speaker 2: And it's not too late. My listeners can help out on this. Get a load of these figures. The first one she did all by herself. She raised seven hundred and sixty eight bucks, which is really impressive considering it's one girl with a lemonade. Stand fast forward neighborhood. Well there you see doubling down, and it's like people want to give to I mean, I think people like to buy from children's lemonades things, period, end of story. These are young entrepreneurs. They're taking the effort, they're sitting out in the sun, they're doing something that's productive and making the money. So we're all gravitating toward that. But when you see a young person that is raising money for charity. You're like, oh my god, that's such a beautiful thing. Here, let me buy some.
Speaker 3: Here's the kicker, Brian. She's never charged a dime for her lemonade. It's always been free.
Speaker 2: All donations. Oh that's so beautiful. All right, let's walk through the years so again. Seven sixty eight, year one, twenty nineteen, seven thousand dollars, twenty twenty. Now that was when she was still by herself. Then you started adding others. Others were like, Hey, can I get involved with this? Can I open my own Peyton's Lemonade stand? So you created Peyton's Pals. You got eight additional lemonade stands in twenty twenty and so for the third annual lemonade stand you raised thirty five thousand dollars. Sit tight, folks, because it only gets better from there. So you saw how great this thing's grow, and you formed a five O one C three nonprofit. In twenty twenty one, fourth annual event, you had over one hundred young people doing thirty lemon stands, sixty thousand dollars. Fast forward to twenty twenty two, you're up to fifty stands. You got two hundred children and a lot of community assistants, eighty five thousand dollars raised, twenty twenty three one hundred thousand dollars and folks, this is contributions, donations in one single day. And then last year I had and last year I had you on the program, and I don't know what I predicted that you would raise, but you ultimately had ninety stands. Kentucky's involved, Indiana's involved, as well as Ohio where it started. You had much more people involved. One hundred and twenty five thousand dollars raised in only three hours. That is just fantastic. I made a trip down to Loveland. There was a store of Loveland. They had a elevenade stand and I made a contribution down there and got myself a glass of elemonade. So it's just great. So this year, what's the day? How can people get involved? And you also you're also teaching children a lot about philanthropy, so it's not just getting involved for one day. You're trying to use this as a learning experience.
Speaker 1: Jess Oh, for sure.
Speaker 3: That's been the beauty and it is just to see all of the kids who are now involved. Hundreds of kids will be out tomorrow hosting their lemonade stands. And I always tell people, you know, your visit might be the spark that ignites, you know, a lifelong passion of giving back for these kids. So I really encourage people to visit our website to see the map where all one hundred and four lemonade stands will be tomorrow, everywhere there in.
Speaker 2: All parts p A Y t o NS Peyton's Lemonade stand dot org.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you go to get involved, visit a stand, you'll see a map a lemons. If you can click on a lemon or you can just scroll right below that map you'll see all of the locations listed. And while this is a lot of kids in their driveways hosting, it's also a lot of businesses this year, more this year than any other year. So we have like Buskin Bakery, Big B Coffee, Fisher Homes is hosting at five of their model homes, tons of local boutiques like Shop Sharbond and Metallic Draft and LULUs, There's it's just the community buy in this year is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: I'm so pleased to see that.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Buskin, they are also doing it gives back with their famous smiley iced cookie a portion of all proceeds from those cookies. This week and through tomorrow, we'll go back to Peyton's Lemonade stand.
Speaker 2: Wow, and I'm looking at the map. Oh my word. Turn around and you'll be staring at yet another Peyton's Lemonade stands. So feel free to donate at all the locations. It's going to take you all day to do it. That's a beautiful site for behold.
Speaker 3: That's what we laugh about is somebody will say, well, I'm going to go to this stand, and then when they get to that stand, they're like, well, heck, I pay three on my way here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well look at you. You've gone nationwide too.
Speaker 2: It's not just the Greater Cincinni area, which does include northern Kentucky and Indiana stands. You got one in Lakeside, Ohio. You got one in Cambridge, Ohio, and oh look, there's one in Atlanta, Georgia, and one in Carl's Bad, New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Words gotten out?
Speaker 3: Is that cool?
Speaker 2: You're gonna be nationwide? I mean completely nationwide. I figured Jess over next year I talk to you, there's gonna be lemonade stands from New York to California.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be cool?
Speaker 1: Oh what's Peyton say about this?
Speaker 2: She does she have a full appreciation of what she was able to accomplish by starting this out eight years ago.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it's the older she gets and the more we we do a lot of like presentations in that throughout the years, the more she tells her story and the more you know, feedback she gets. I think it's really starting to click for her. You know, she's starting to understand the impact that just one person can make. Yeah, and so that motivates her to keep doing it well.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I am glad you phrased it that way, because you know, I tend to I'll tend to be a check writer. I'm happy to charities, but I'm not the guy that's going to stand up and say, hey, I got an idea, and you know, let's do this. And then because I don't know anything about accomplishing whatever idea I could possibly come up with. I remember a gentleman that you used to have on the program that started a marathon to help with Honor Flight tri State. One guy, no connection with the military, but he loved the organization. But if you started and you and you hold your hand up and say I'm going to be the person that's going to coordinate this or start it off. You'd be amazed how many people will rise up and embrace the concept and want to help you out. Clearly, a six year old Peyton did not have any concept that she would end up with one hundred plus different stands and probably thousand people plus out there helping her out to accomplish this goal.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's just been what's so cool about this is just how organically it has grown. And we say that, you know, she knew something that we didn't. You know, she had the vision and to be honest, when she was six and hosting a lemonade stand in her driveway, like I really thought like this was just going to be in one time, right right, But she was adamant, I mean adamant that it become an annual summer tradition. And you know, had she not been that way, we wouldn't be where we are now, because, like I said, we were fine what she is doing it once?
Speaker 1: All right, Mom, Mom, Jess.
Speaker 2: It didn't take you prompting her or inspiring her to continue to do this and hey, you need to do this next year.
Speaker 1: That was her idea.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'll admit to you and everybody listening. But I told my husband after that first stand and she talked, she was already talking about the following summer.
Speaker 3: I said, just don't mention it and maybe she'll forget.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, super selfish on my part. But are you really We're not We're not expecting this, No you are.
Speaker 2: It has turned out you do? You mentioned you do seminars and presentations, so you're you're really working on this Peyton's Lemonade stand thing throughout the year.
Speaker 3: Then, oh, well, it is my full time job. I mean it is an actual five oh one c three. We have given out Brian over five million dollars in both in kind donations and monetary donations oh much to local organizations who whose mission aligns with ours, you know, who are serving kids facing hardships. So it's it's really wild to see what one little lemonade stand hosted by a six year old girl has turned into.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely stunning, and listeners, I just do yourself a favor and get inspired and enlightened and maybe help participate and help out even if you can't visit a Lemonade stand tomorrow, even though there's one literally right next to you. There's a donate button on the website. You can help them out achieve their goal from the comfort of your own home. But Peyton's lemonadestand dot org. But when you're there, click on the map and just look at that and just remember this all started with a six year old girl. Just I love the story. I really do. Jesse I started off mentioning, you know, to get toys for children that are in the hospital. You obviously have branched out. You mentioned providing. You distributed five million dollars in donations to various organizations. What are the some of the other organizations or types of organizations that some of these.
Speaker 1: Funds go to.
Speaker 3: Well, well, you work with a lot of local organizations. I like to help, like the smaller ones. I feel like our impact is a lot bigger. There so places like upspring that serves kids experiencing homelessness, or a Hope's Closet who helps kids. You know in the foster care system. We work a lot with CPS, and a lot of those schools within CPS are very underfunded, and so we've been you know, we send kids on memorable field trips. We work with Cincinnati Recreation Commission and we provide brand new swimsuits and towels and goggles for kids who show up through their pools who don't have you know, we don't have a suit to go swim with their friends. And when we do help children, and we do a lot for Ronald McDonald House. Last year we helped over forty different organizations, and so you're right, it has branched out beyond the walls of children simply because the need is just so great everywhere, and so we've been really honored to be able to help so many local kids and families and organizations here.
Speaker 1: Here, locally beautiful.
Speaker 2: Everything about this is just wonderful. Peyton's Lemonade stand dot or get involved, help out anyway. You can't enjoy a glass of lemonade and make a nice contribution be doing Society of Favor. Well, I have nothing but great words for you, the organization for what Peyton started so many years ago, and the fact that you've turned this into this amazing successful charity. And let's see, should we predict how much money you're gonna take in this year, Jess.
Speaker 3: This year is bananas it's big. The weather like closs my fingers. I think it's gonna it's gonna be hot, but I think it's gonna be dry, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Brian Loots goes for business all right three hours last year with ninety lemonade stands one hundred and twenty five grand, I'm gonna go two hundred. I'm going two hundred thousand this year.
Speaker 1: I said it. I hope I'm right.
Speaker 4: Your listeners better show up.
Speaker 1: I hope I'm right.
Speaker 2: Or if I'm wrong, I hope it's because I undercount it and you get more than two hundred.
Speaker 1: It's easy to do. Folks.
Speaker 2: Buy some lemonade, drop a twenty dollars bill or something in the donation jar, and let's help them achieve the goal. Regardless. It will go to worthy causes. Just over, God, bless you, God bless Peyton, and keep up the great work. You and I will talk again next year or maybe after the lemonade stand tomorrow is all done and over with, and you can report on how much money you pulled in.
Speaker 5: We'd love that.
Speaker 2: Please do it. Just over, good luck, have a great weekend. It's by pleasure. It's a twenty right, now, if if you FI have kc DE talk station Talkoway fifty five KRC