Speaker 1: Not an ideal situation when the dog catches the car and then the dog has no idea what to do.
Speaker 2: And that is the reason why we need.
Speaker 1: To make sure that when we overtake the majority, that we actually have a plan. I've talked a lot Harry Katy fan News about how if you don't immediately from day one, have an actual plan to be implemented, to enforce and to pursue accountability for all of the wrongdoings that have been perpetrated for the last two years under this Trump regime, that I'm not interested in hearing about the rest of your campaign. I'm not interested in hearing about the rest of your policies. There is the demand for true accountability and that can't just be through lip service. That can't just be through angry rantings on places like YouTube. You actually have to have a blueprint for action. Which is when I had the chance to be able to read my good friend Brian Tyler Cohen's new book the day after, How to Wheel Power in a Post Trump World. I was happy to see that there was an actual thoughtful analysis that goes into what we got to do. Because what Brian's book does is it tackles a number of things incredibly well. It tackles the historical framework within which we are finding ourselves today. We have so much to learn from history, especially when we see how well the Republicans have destroyed and dismantled norms and institutions as they have built their own power up to a fever pitch, all the while the Democrats are just standing there wringing their hands. And look, this is not me casting aspersions on the entirety of the party, but let's be honest in the pursuit of being the good guys. I think we've and gals, I think we've lost the plot as Democrats. So Brian's book looks and has kind of this is the historical framework of what the hell happened to get us here? But more importantly, and unlike other books, Brian says, Okay, now we're here, what do we do the day after Trump is gone? And that's why his book is essential reading. I wanted to make sure that we explored those themes. I also wanted to make sure, now that we're a couple of days out of some pretty wild primary results, that we have a blunt conversation about what it looks like going into the November general election, and so buckle up because it's a it's a pretty compelling conversation with Brian Tyler Cohen. Joining me now is Brian Tyler Cohen, a progressive YouTuber, but more importantly, the author of the amazing book The Day After, How to Wield Power in a Post Trump World. This is coming on the heels of another best selling book. Brian Tyler Cohen, thanks for.
Speaker 2: Being here, Katie, Thanks for having me. I'm not saying this jokingly. I'm not sure where you find the time to write a.
Speaker 3: Book let alone do It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're willing to sacrifice all of your mental health.
Speaker 2: So well, I was going to say, sign me up. That's what we do on the daily folks.
Speaker 1: I was just with Brian at an event in DC with a whole bunch of super like minded pro democracy folks. That's why I was kind of not jokingly saying, I'm not quite sure I has the time because we were doing that and now he does all of the important work that he does on YouTube. You don't actually want to start with the label progressive YouTuber because I've kind of been trying to deal with labels lately the last few weeks, and I kind of feel like it's a great segue into your book eventually that we're going to get to. But you know, I've kind of been trying to see if we stay with labels, we don't stay with labels. I feel like labels sometimes add a little bit of baggage. I've been saying we should look at the candidates, what their policies, positions are, what they're standing for, and really like, are they putting their money where their mouth is, because a lot of people talk a lot, but they don't actually do something about it. Kind of your thoughts on where things stand right now post primaries and as we kind of get a lay of the land for November.
Speaker 3: No, I think I think that's such a good point, And you're right. I think that labels do kind of carry along with them some degree of baggage that I think is neither helpful nor really instructive of where candidates lie. I mean, look, there are there is Zornmandani in New York who has a platform that is virtually indistinguishable from a bunch of other Democrats, regular Democrats, progressive Democrats who are advocating for the same thing we're advocating for a lower cost of living, who are advocating for permit reform, and so, you know, I think you're right that getting stuck in focusing on what certain labels mean, especially as we are in a post primary world now heading toward the general probably does add an unnecessary degree of baggage. I think as long as the candidates espouse certain positions, that's how they should be, That's how they should be kind of identified. And I feel like that's going to be where things move now that the primaries are behind us and there's less of a focus on, like you know, intra party disputes and where people land on that ideological spectrum.
Speaker 1: Look, I didn't relish the infighting. I think it's unhealthy and it doesn't help us as a party. But I will say, in some ways it was the spirit of a competitive primary, was it not. You have a variety of candidates, many of whom are not cookie cutter, and they stand for different things, and then you let the people pick the one who stands for the most of what they think is emblematic or representative of who they are, and that's who advances. I mean, in so many ways, having a competitive primary with having people that are standing for different things.
Speaker 2: I think kind of is democracy, is it not? It is?
Speaker 3: And I have to try and remind myself that every day, because, like you, I do not enjoy the primary process. I think the infighting is like borderline intolerable. And I also know that there comes a point where after the primary happens, most people are able to say, hey, we've gotten through that, Okay, let's come together. And you have, you know, Hailey Stevens endorsing abdulasi ed, you have Angie Craig endorsing Peggy flannagain, and so it doesn't matter where you lie on the ideological spectrum. The more moderate candidates are are endorsing the more progressive candidates and vice versa. But there's always going to be some sliver of people who harbor resentment because of how ugly the primary process was. And so knowing that and having lived through you know, Bernie Hillary, and seeing how they're still fallout to this day a decade later, over that I do wish that the primary process was less acrimonious, But I do have to remind myself like, this is what democracy looks like. It is messy, It is at times hostile, but hopefully you've ended up with the candidate who's the strongest heading into heading into the general election, and that's just how it goes. But yeah, I mean, it is constantly coaching myself to be like this is it's normal, this is okay. It always happens like this, and hopefully it leads to the better candidate actually winning.
Speaker 1: Which is why this is actually the perfect timing to be able to lean into your book, because what I particularly love about the Day After is it's I think an incredible balance of doing a post mortem because I am a huge, huge advocate of making sure that we got check ourselves with historical references and understanding how we got where we are.
Speaker 2: Today, which your book does.
Speaker 1: Your book does an incredibly brutal, brutal, honest assessment of what has happened in the time.
Speaker 2: Leading up to where we are.
Speaker 1: But then the great thing about your book is it's the standalone in that it actually provides a blueprint and it gives suggestions and ideas of what we do the day after we finally have a majority, the day after we're back controlling the levers of power.
Speaker 2: You know, as I mentioned a few minutes ago.
Speaker 1: A lot of people like to actually complain and talk, but they don't do anything. Your book the day after says, not only do we have to do something, but we can't just be complacent and lazy and say, oh, we'll just go back to what we had before when we had a majority pre Trump.
Speaker 2: And just you know, do it, but tweak it.
Speaker 1: You like me, are an advocate to say, uh huh, we actually have to not rebuild something. We have to start from scratch, like we have to learn from the errors of the past, get our shit together, and figure out that we have to build something brand new that is strong enough to withstand, which I think is going to be another wave of trump Ism, just in a different form from another person one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I think that this is existential for any democracy movement in this country because we already know, as you've said, what the MAGA movement looks like. It's not We're not going to have some epiphany in the aftermath of the end of Trump. These people aren't going to wake up and say, I don't know what happened the last ten years like this, this is the trajectory of this party. These are people who are anti democratic, small D democratic and big D democratic, and they're not just going to wake up one day and say, like, you know what, actually I changed, I changed, Yeah, I've changed my mind. Actually, I do think that Democrats have the right to get elected in this country. It's going to get increasingly more difficult for them to accept election results where they lose, for them to acknowledge the right of both parties to be able to play by the same set of rules. And so if we don't start to change things, if we don't rebuild these systems to actually contend with what the opposition looks like right now, and that is an opposition that will abuse any levers of power if they can get their hands on them, then we're to repeat the same problems that we're dealing with right now. I think a good microcosm for that is like our justice system. I mean, you know, look, there is nobody, there is nobody who knows better about the failures of our justice system than you, as you have become you know, the the authority on the failures of this government to really properly navigate the Epstein situation, Like this is not a justice system or a judicial system that is that is properly equipped to be able to hold the Trump administration to account for suppressing these files. It's not a justice system that's equipped to hold these people to account for what they've actually done, the co conspirators for the pedophile ring itself. I mean, you have been You've been doing stellar reporting. Thank God for you, because otherwise we wouldn't be in a situation where we're going to have any transparency as relates to the outstanding three million files. So, but we're just not equipped right now to be able to do this. And the fact that we needed you from the outside to be able to put enough leverage on the dj to actually get these people in court to have to answer for what they're doing right now, I think is yes, a huge testament to the importance of independent media and somebody like you. But really, at the same time, it's a it's a condemnation of our of our of our system as a whole that it takes this to actually get to this point where the Attorney General has to follow the plain text of the law.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's another big aspect of your book, which is I'm unabashedly and I'll use this adjective mackia Vellen sometimes about the need to be back in a seat of power, because you can't affect the change that you want until you're actually there.
Speaker 2: And I'm not ruthless.
Speaker 1: I mean, I still have morals and I still have a compass about it, Brian. But one of the things that you acknowledge is it's been a fatal flaw for many a campaign. Thus far as a Democrat, we have been way too nice about things. I think that we have been way too holier than now about not being willing to fight. And I do think that is part of why you have seen a surge and support for the quote more progressive side of our party, that part of our big tent, because they have been just so overtly like in our faces in a good way. I'm not sure that it's a fucking radical to say that my kids should have health care and I should be able to afford basic necessities, Like why is it so radical?
Speaker 2: Because it's not. And I do think we've kind of.
Speaker 1: Tried to shame that part of our party for being so outspoken about it, and yet that's kind of what we need to be doing. We need to be acknowledging that we should not be okay with crumbs, like we deserve the whole pie.
Speaker 3: Right and look, they're mad, and rightfully so they should be. And I think in large part the reason that the progressive flank of the party is acendant right now is is, I mean, there's multiple reasons. One you have the more like the liberal Democrats who don't even offer a bridge to the next generation. These people stay in their seats forever. I mean, we have people into their seventies and eighties, and there's people in office that are in the sh of their nineties right now.
Speaker 1: Just see Chuck Chuck Well, he's not one of but Chuck Grassley just filed for his seat again. That guy is going to be like freaking ninety seven or some copper like that. By the time the dude's done. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: And the sad part is like, we don't even have a leg to stand on when it comes to condemning that kind of stuff, because we've had Ruth Vader Ginsburg die in office. We had Joe Biden obviously very old when he was an offit to the point where he wasn't able to prosecute the case when he was in that disastrous debate two summers ago, and so you know this is this is a problem, certainly on both sides of the island. I'm the last person that's ever gonna lean on the both sides excuse, but I do think it's a problem. And and you know, you do have a large faction of the base for whom this idea of politics as usual, which is espoused by these people who have been in Washington forever, is just not garnering enough results. And I think that we do need to abridge the next generation, and we need to bridge the next generation that's actually going to recognize the opponent that we're contenting with. These are not people that we can say, let's just confer a little bit of goodwill to the other side and surely, surely they'll reciprocate, because they don't. And we've been trying this game over and over and over again and they never reciprocate. And and I just want to like bring into office people who recognize that this is not the Republican party our of our parents or whatever it is they like to say, this is a republican party that again, to repeat myself from the beginning, does not think Democrats have the right to exist does not think that Democrats have the right to get elected. And so if we don't start treating this government like that, we're we are going to good government ourselves into obscurity.
Speaker 1: You know. I love what you just said, that we're going to good government ourselves into ourselves into obscurity, because I think that we like to give ourselves sometimes as Democrats, like self congratutory paths on the back for being so much, you know, better and more noble about things. But I think we now have a very different definition of what that means, right, because again, I don't have to be apologetic for wanting the basics and then wanting more, because that's kind of what this country was built on, the idea of me being able to have a dream, but to be able to actually have the basics to get there, right, And I feel like we've just kind of what is it just this is kind of like half jokingly not really. I was in Paris right and I was having like a work vacation and people were jokingly saying Parisians are like, oh, we're French, you know, we we we like to suffer. But it's like, holy shit, I feel like the Democrat like we like to suffer because we're Democrats, Like, no, I don't want to fucking suffer.
Speaker 2: I want to thrive.
Speaker 1: Like what is so hard to understand about that concept?
Speaker 3: And I think that that like you you you hit your your your finger right on it, which is there is a sense that we will always get just to the five yard line and then fail, Like there's a sense that that there's always going to be something that comes up the works, whether it's the parliamentarian or some norm or some institution or Kirsten Cinema or Joe Manchin, there's always one person who screws everything up. And we've gotten to the point where it almost feels like it's good enough that we got caught trying, that we had some symbolic victory in that if only we you know, like if only Kirsten Cinema wasn't there, if only Joe Mansion wasn't there, we would have gotten everything. But there's always one person to stop things. And I think people are just so tired of that. And in large part the reason that they're tired of that is because Trump has shown that none of our institutions are sacker sanct like when he wants to do something, he just gets it done. He doesn't care what the constitution says. He doesn't care what prosecutor say. It doesn't care what the court say, what judges say, what other members of Congress or Senate or other full branches of government says. He just does it. And so it shows that like where there is a will in politics, there's a way. And my argument in this book is that we have to have that same degree of ruthlessness, but you can do it for virtuous reasons. Not to enrich yourself to the tune of three hundred percent, not to keep billions of dollars in military defense contracts onto your kids, not to sell crypto coins or open real estate deals in foreign countries, but just to pass healthcare, like just to make sure we get climate change, just to expand voting rights, just to raise the minimum wage. If Trump can do all of these things to keep ungodly sums of money into his own pockets, surely democrats can do it when they're in control, so that we can raise the minimum wage from seven dollars and twenty five cents an hour to something livable in this country.
Speaker 1: Well, and then that is that therein lies the rub right, because you don't want to lose your soul. We can't lose our souls in pursuit of this. But as long as you're doing.
Speaker 2: It for the right reasons, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: Right and so that is the reason why I believe, and I want to ask you, I mean, so is the premise of your book the idea of not even I can't. I hate using the word rebuild because it makes us feel like we're looking at the old foundations, because we're not. I mean, your book is very clear like whatever we've been doing before doesn't work. We've seen it doesn't work. We have empirical evidence historically we need to change the rules of engagement. Here is that success though the day after and moving forward conditioned upon making sure that we have the right people in place to do that. And I'm not talking just in Congress. I'm talking in other kind of industry spaces and other sectors.
Speaker 3: So having the right people in place. Look, we're going to have to contend with both. There are going to be institutionalists and establishment types who are perfectly content with the status quo in positions of power where we need them to be movable and flexible so that we can kind of achieve some of the change that we're looking to see. My goal with the book is is twofold. It's of course, to advocate for a new generation of people who are actually going to really embody this fight that I want to see on the left or in this pro democracy space, but at a bare minimum, knowing that we're going to have a lot of folks who are already in power right now and by the way, benefiting from the systems remaining as they are, is at least to push them to let them know what we expect as the base. And look, I have I think a distinct advantage in this space because I talk to a lot of these people over the course of the last few years in these interviews, and so you know, I might not be viewed as as radically as some of these elected officials view other folks that they talk to. And so if I can be a trusted messenger for people and let them know that what we expect is not the same incrementalism that we've come to expect up to now, then hopefully I can use some of that credibility that I've earned with these people to let them know what a democratic party of tomorrow should look like, which is to say, a democratic party that is not going to just rely on institutions or processes or norms or traditions or god forbid, we push aside the parliamentarian God forbid, we don't embrace the filibuster like I'm using. I'm using any street cred that I had gained over the last few years building relationships with these people to let them know that what we've been doing up to now is not going to be acceptable beyond twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the reason why you are a trusted voice, not only in independent media but also in other you know, spaces. It's important for us to know how to walk in all these worlds. And you know the thing that makes me happy though, it sounds like there might be a place for an old lady like me in your day after Brian Tyler Cohen.
Speaker 2: So I'm grateful for this. Listen, my friend, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Before you stop. You there you have like I know that you are going to be that you're going to be very modest, but like I just want the audi and I know that your audience knows this, that's why they watch you. But but you, your voice could not be more important right now in one of the premiere issues that we're contending with. If it wasn't for you, not only would would we have so little insight into into one of the most heinous crimes that that is being covered up right now, but the victims of those heinous crimes are going to get some degree of justice thanks to the work that you're doing and the precedent by the way that it will establish in allowing other independent journalists to step in and say, now we have the right as well to see some stuff that's being suppressed by this government. So the the tail of what you're doing, tail of what you're doing is going to have long standing implications for for for not only the survivors, but you know, to get some accountability and transparency on the corruption that this administration is engaging in. So I'm I'm very happy to be here talking to you, and and I know I speak on behalf of your entire audience and saying thank you the work that you do every single day.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate that. And look, it takes it literally takes a village and then some it takes an internet to make stuff happen. But not only your YouTube channel and all of the work that you're doing, but especially your books are essential reading or go the reason why I'm telling everybody that they have to read this book, especially this book. I love your other book too, but this one, especially for me, really was a siren song. So Brian Tyler Cohen, tell folks where they can actually go and get The Day After.
Speaker 3: You can get it anywhere books are sold. If you want an easy link, I have it at Briantylercohen dot com slash book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're going to include all of those links here with this episode.
Speaker 2: But Brian, it was good to see you in DC.
Speaker 1: I was thrilled that we were able to hang out and be, like I said, in community with others. But this is an incredibly important conversation because a lot of people want to have actionable they want to actionable blueprint. They want to have some action items to embrace and to know that we don't have a dog catching the car moment. And then we're all like looking at each other, like, well, now what do we do? What we do is we make sure that we've read The Day After by Brian Tyler Cohen. Thanks for being here, my friend.
Speaker 2: Was good to see you Katy, Thanks so much, Katie Fang.
Speaker 1: Here we launched the Katifang News Channel in partnership with the Midas Touch Network, so we can bring you the latest in legal and political news, straight no chaser. So if you're a fellow truthteller, hit that subscribe button and share the word about this channel so we can build a high information America together. Things are spicing up in the Cash paateel versus the Atlantic defamation lawsuit that he brought after this article check Out Your Screen came out on April seventeenth, twenty twenty six, entitled the FBI Director is Mia Cash. Patel has alarmed colleagues with episodes of excessive drinking and unexplained absences. Now, Patel has been an unsuccessful litigant for several defamation lawsuits, one of which was brought against my friend Frank Figluzi, who was a national security analyst and former FBI specialist and agent who is often on places like MSNBC and Cash Battel sued Frank for a defamation and lost resoundingly his defamation lawsuit. But this is kind of a big deal because, as we know, there is a very thin skinned sensitivity when it comes to members of the cabinet and members of the Trump regime, especially the second time around. Cash Battel not being an outlier on this whatsoever, Donald Trump himself loves, loves a defamation lawsuit. And then when it gets just on the even him having to I don't know, testify in a sworn deposition under oath on camera, suddenly the lawsuit seem to disappear anyway, even if.
Speaker 2: They get that far right.
Speaker 1: So cash Batel labors under the same fatal flaws he's bringing these defamation lawsuits. They do not hold any water, and they are being dismissed. Now that's exactly what the Atlantic is trying to do here. Check out your screen. There is a motion to dismiss that has been filed by the Atlantic, and this was at the end of July, July twenty seventh, and it basically says that, pursuing to a rule of civil procedure in the federal system, that there is no viable defamation claim that has been asserted by cash Battel against not only The Atlantic the publication, but against Sarah Fitzpatrick, who's the author of that article. And if you check out the memorandum of points and authorities in support of the motion to dismiss complaint that was filed by the defendants, The Atlantic and Sarah Fitzpatrick. It's scathing in its assertions, both legally and factually. We're going to fast forward to page nine of the forty two page motion to dismiss memorandum. Now it states clearly the cash Battel has failed to state a claim, meaning he has not asserted the necessary elements of a cause of action for defamation.
Speaker 2: Against the defendants.
Speaker 1: And he brought this defamation action against The Atlantic because it published quote an undeniably newsworthy article about his job performance that he finds politically inconvenie. It is an assault by a man who swore to uphold the Constitution. The lawsuit is meritless and should be dismissed. And it basically says here that this article reported on cash Battel's tenure at the FBI, concerns raised by those around him about his behavior, including excessive drinking, frequent absences, mishandling of high profile investigations, purging of employees that are deemed to be quote, disloyal, and impulsive decision making. The article in the Atlantic was based upon Sarah Fitzpatrick's interviews of more than two dozen sources, including current and former FBI officials, staff at law enforcement and intelligence agencies, hospitality industry workers, members of Congress, political operatives, lobbyists, and former advisors. And it also included the denials that were made by cash Battel and other Trump administration officials.
Speaker 2: And here is the.
Speaker 1: Crux of why the court should dismiss cash Betel's defamation lawsuit. Because cash Battel does not and cannot state a viable defamation claim against The Atlantic and its reporter Patel, does not plausibly allege that the defendants published the article with quote actual malice, as is required by the First Amendment. Cash Betel's complaint is just a laundry list of conclusiory allegations and generic complaints and does not come close to meeting the high constitutional standard, and the Court canon should dismiss the complaint in its entirety on those grounds alone. Cash Betel's claims also fail as to several of the alleged defamatory statements for the additional and independent reason that the statements are not able to be sued upon as a matter of law because they are not defamatory, they are substantially true, or they are protected by a fair report privilege in DC. Now, I mentioned a couple of minutes ago the lawsuit that Cash Betel brought against Frank Fuglisi, Well, the lawsuit against The Atlantic, Patel's fifth in recent years for defamation, and the second that he has brought since he's been sworn in as the FBI director. And you guys know that I love a good footnote. Let's check out footnote two here that says, hey, Patel versus Fugleisi dismissed pursu into the same rule of civil procedure twelve B six that The Atlantic and Sarah Fitzpatrick are traveling under to get rid of Cash Betel's lawsuit here and then it notes Cash Betel sued CNN AH dismissed with prejudice. Sued Goldman and others seeking forty five million from The New York Times and its reporter for defamation and conspiracy voluntarily dismissed without any court action being taken by the court. Patel versus Politico seeking twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh, that one.
Speaker 1: Also voluntarily dismissed prior to any court action. So again, this should be the fifth failure by Patel to successfully bring a defamation lawsuit.
Speaker 2: But the defendants go even.
Speaker 1: Farther and they call out cash Battel here for the quote ominous message he is sending to the press. If you publish reporting that he doesn't like, it will come at a high cost. These tactics strike at the very foundation of the First Amendment, which was adopted to prevent powerful government officials like Cash Battel from controlling the public narrative by published by punishing the dissemination of material that is embarrassing to the powers that be. There is a chilling effect when lawsuits of this kind are brought, because if a suit entails long and expensive litigation, then the protective purpose of the First Amendment is thwarted, even if the defendant ultimately prevails. So they ask the court to dismiss cash Betel's defamation lawsuit with prejudice, meaning that once it's dismissed, he cannot ever revive it and bring it back in any way. And this is interesting because normally, as we've talked about here at Katie Fang News, a motion to dismiss is usually granted at the first instance, without prejudice, the court gives a plaintiff the opportunity to try to cure the defects and try to bring it again in light of why it was.
Speaker 2: Dismissed in the first place.
Speaker 1: But what The Atlantic and Sarah Fitzpatrick are asserting here is that there's no way that cash Betel will ever be able to successfully assert a defamation claim against them because of this article, and that it should never Cashptel should never be given the chance to try to do it again. And to be clear, Sarah Fitzpatrick made substantial efforts to get comment from not only Patel, but the FBI and the DOJ, sending a detailed nineteen point summary of what the article was going to say, and she sent it to all of these different offices of public affairs to get their comments. She said, let me know whether you have a response, or whether there's additional context.
Speaker 2: Or information you can share.
Speaker 1: Listen, what she got back was either a platitude about how amazing cash Battel is and what a great job he's doing, or a general denial of these are lies.
Speaker 2: And you shouldn't be printing them. And that's the crux of it.
Speaker 1: Now, what just happened the other day, though, is cash Betel filed this his opposition to the defendant's motion to dismiss the complaint, and what cash Betel asserts, starting on page seven of this thirty nine page pdf, is the following that the defendant's punished published a hit piece knowing it was false when they published it. They were told it was false by multiple official sources, but they published it anyway, and now they can't hide behind the First Amendment and ask the court to believe that their conduct constituted legitimate journalism. According to cash Betel, it did not. I adore my Jones, Rude miracle Bomb, my collar, Mimi Beach. Of course, miracle Bomb has replaced multiple steps in my daily routine. Now I just grabbed my miracle bomb and I've got a highlighter, Bronzer, blush and liptint in one amazing product in less than sixty seconds. And with the kind of hectic life I live, who wouldn't want to shave off time in the mornings running around with my kids' school and activities. Don't get me started with to travel with Jones or a miracle bomb. I have a seamless go to that is lightweight and easy to pack. And once I started simplifying my routine, I realized there are some days that I need a little bit more coverage without looking kky or heavy. That's when I grab my Jones Road Foundation stick if it's perfectly into my current routine and gives that extra kick of coverage modern day makeup that's clean, strategic, and multifunctional for effortless routines. And for a limited time, our listeners are getting a free full sized mass Scerra on their first purchase when they use the code fang at checkout. Just head to Jonesroadbauty dot com and use the code fang phang at checkout. After you purchase, they'll ask you where you heard about them. Please support our show and let them know that we sent you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Cash Betel does assert the appropriate legal standard that is considered at this stage, so he sued and the defendants have foul emotion to dismiss and this standard meaning the kind of context or framework that the court considers the allegations insh Btel's complaint is in in the light most favorable to the plaintiff, meaning at this stage, before any discovery has been done. The court will consider the facts that have been asserted and cash Betel's complaint, and they will do so in the favor of cash Matel. And that's just law, that's established law. But what the defendants have said is we don't care because even when you apply that standard, where all inferences are in favor of cash Betel, we still get the ability to get this lawsuit dismissed with prejudice. Now, let me be clear, the defendants, the Atlantic and Sarah Fitzpatrick will get a chance to file what we call a reply to what cash Pattel just filed a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Ago, and I expect it to be a doozy.
Speaker 1: Of a reply because what cash Matel says Spurtz here is court, you can't dismiss my lawsuit because there's just been malice shown by the defendants, because they pretty much didn't buy my incredible record of doing such a great job. And I've told them that what they have is lies. Well, that's okay. You would expect people like cash Matel to say that they are lies.
Speaker 2: In fact, Cash.
Speaker 1: Battel, under oath, at a Senate confirmation hearing the other day, said the following to Senator Van Holland, you.
Speaker 4: Agree Director Patel that if one of your agents was unable to perform his or her duties because of excessive drinking, you would need to take corrective or disciplinary action. You agree with that statement.
Speaker 5: We would implement the inspection review process, just like these other agencies have their own internal investigations, and complete that review.
Speaker 4: As I said in my opening remarks, I really don't care about your personal life so long as you are able to perform your public and official responsibilities, which are awesome responsibilities. Multiple reports, including reporting by the Atlantic, have alleged episodes of excessive drinking, unexplained absences, and behavior that concern current and former FBI and d officials. You have publicly denied those allegations and filed a defamation lawsuits. So today's you testify before Congress, is it your testimony that those allegations are categorically.
Speaker 5: False, unequivocally categorically false.
Speaker 4: So there have been no occasions during your tenure when FBI personnel were unable to promptly reach you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: You can ask my entire workforce. They hear from me at every single hour of the day, as do these great gentlemen here, as do the men and women of the interagency in state and local law enforcement in the White House.
Speaker 4: And so there have been no occasions when your security detail had difficulty waking or locating you.
Speaker 2: Is that right now?
Speaker 5: If it's a total force, I don't even know where you get this stuff. But it doesn't make it credible because you say so.
Speaker 1: I mean that really does spack of methink thou dolt protest too much?
Speaker 2: Cash? Does it not?
Speaker 1: But look, I mean, somebody's definitely got his you know, panties in a bunch about what is being asserted against him, and he does seem incredibly defensive. But being defensive and stating it's not true does not stop a publication from going forward. And according to the lawyer who is representing Cash Betel, a guy by the name of Jesse Banal, who I'd like to share with you right now the following. Jesse Binall is a Trump lawyer. He has done a lot of work for the Trump campaign in places like Nevada, pushing claims of voter fraud in not only court filings but also congressional testimony. He's represented Donald Trump and civil lawsuits that were brought by congressional lawmakers and plaintiffs sek can to hold him accountable for his rhetoric over the January sixth insurrection. So Jesse Banall is no stranger to being in the Trump world and doing trumpy shit. So I'm not surprised by what I've seen that has been filed by Cash Betel's lawyers. But here's an interesting wrinkle that I want to also bring to your attention. Once lawsuits are filed, there is the chance to be able to participate in something called discovery. We've talked about it a lot here at Katie Fangs News, but it bears repeating. Just because there's a pending motion to dismiss does not in and of itself mean that discovery doesn't happen, Because sometimes as discovery happens, it actually helps frame some of the issues that may be a part of a motion to dismiss. The discovery definitely speaks to an eventual filing called a motion for summary judgment, which comes later after discovery has been fully developed, and again supports the idea that either a claim or defense cannot be maintained because the evidence doesn't support it. In its instance, discovery was supposed to be starting an ongoing in this lawsuit. However, the defendants, the Atlantic and Sarah Fitzpatrick have asked the court to stay or pause discovery because they believe so strongly that their motion to dismiss will be well taken granted, and so it's a waste of time to be able to do discovery. However, there's one specific area of discovery that the Atlantic and Sarah Fitzpatrick are asking the court to have move on and continue, and that is this and I'm referencing the motion to stay discovery that requests that are directed to the gooj FBI and Cash Patel that they should be allowed to be ford because Cash Patel and any defamation lawsuit as the plaintiff, carries the burden to show that the article that was published in the Atlantic is quote materially false, nor can the defendants establish that the article is substantially true. Now think about this, because well, let me clean that up. Cash Patel, as the plaintiff in this defamation lawsuit, must prove it's a burden to prove that the article that was published in the Atlantic was materially false. In order for the defendants to establish that the article as published was substantially true, they should be able to participate in discovery by getting information from the DOJDFBI and from cash Btel himself about things like excessive drinking, his people not being able to wake him up because he's been so blasted and so passed out drunk, his abuse of his role as the FBI director to purge employees because they don't pass a loyalty test.
Speaker 2: Things like he's unable to do his job because of his excessive drinking and partying.
Speaker 1: Those are the allegations, and the defendant should be able to prove them by way of accessing this information internally at places like the DOJDFBI and from cash Betel himself. So it's a very interesting ploy here that has been used by the defendants. That's like, look, our motion to dismiss is so strong that we believe that discovery doesn't make sense. But hey, at the same time, you should allow this one particular path and discovery to happen because that'll also help us prove that what we've published about cash Betel is true. That is the danger, as we know as to any defamation lawsuit, when you see somebody for defamation, you put at issue what you are claiming are the lies because it allows the defendant to be able to say it's true, and in order to prove that something is true, you get to be able to access that information from the plaintiff.
Speaker 2: It is a delicious turn.
Speaker 1: The irony doesn't escape me here, and that's part of the reason I think why Cash Mattel has been unsuccessful and at least a couple of his defamation lawsuits because he realized that, yeah, anybody can sue, but you have to be able to sustain the lawsuit, and part of that involves the discovery process. We are going to watch this lawsuit carefully because it truly does strike at the heart of the freedom of the press to be able to publish articles about people that are high up in the food chain in an administration like the Trump administration, and to be able to report accurately and truthfully about the wrongdoings that are being perpetrated and committed by the people that are in the upper echelons of this regime, people like the director.
Speaker 2: Of the FBI.
Speaker 1: And when the FBI director can't do his job properly and competently, I think we as the American people, deserve to know, and that's why the press should be able to print articles even when they hurt Little Cash's feelings. Be mad, the outrage, demand accountability.
Speaker 2: I'm off to rattle cages. Katie Fang.
Speaker 1: Here we launched the Katie Fang News Channel in partnership with the Midas Touch Network so we could bring you the latest in legal and political news, straight no chaser. So, if you're a fellow truthteller, hit that subscribe button and share the word about this channel so we can build a high information America together