Speaker 1: You're listening to why we do what we do? Welcome to why we do what we do? I am your exploring all conditions, Host Abraham.
Speaker 2: And I'm you're isolating those conditions.
Speaker 1: Oh, Shane, we are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do. For those of you joining us for the very first time, then that was probably a weird thing the way that we introduced ourselves, but it will make more sense as we get into this. We are on the third part of a multi part series of episodes discussing something that is deep in the weeds of behavior analysis practice and literature and sort of understanding called functional analyzes. This is the third one, and so if you haven't heard the last couple that we have done, then you recommend checking those out for some background and conceptual pieces that will be necessary. But we'll also do our best to recap those going into this. And if you're a returning person then welcome back. Then that recap will be because you haven't heard those at least a week or a couple of weeks, and you're getting caught up too, and this way you recall what we're doing as we get into it. But however you got here, we appreciate it. And if you do find that you would like to support us after all of this, then you can do that by leaving us a rating and a review like subscribe, tell a friend, join us on Patreon. I'll talk more about those things at the end of this discussion. But it is August twelfth, as you may or may not know, depending on when you're listening to this, it might not be August twelfth anymore. But when that's publishes, it's August twelfth, which means, of course, Happy Baseball Fans Day. That's me. So they they put oscillating fans in the baseball field and they blow away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they have like a good windy day depending on where the wind is blowing. That's a baseball field. Batters really love the wind blowing out the center field, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pictures not so much. It is ibm PC Day.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of initials.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: It is International Youth Day.
Speaker 2: Except when we were younger, we started a band or we were gonna we were trying to name our band and we were gonna call it youth in Asia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a band.
Speaker 2: That is a band and it was we didn't know that, but at the of your like, we're so clever. It's a play on words. So here's the International Youth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought you're gonna call yourselves international youth. I was like, man, that would have been quite the coincidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean close enough. I guess it's Julian Fry, Julienne Fry's Day, whoever that.
Speaker 1: Is, who's frying Julian. It's a middle child day, it is.
Speaker 2: It's also National Sewing Machine.
Speaker 1: Day Handy Devices. It is truck driver Day. Oh, we need those people. We do desperately, the bone of the economy.
Speaker 2: Uh huh uh huh. It is Vinyl Record Day.
Speaker 1: A nice, I dig it. It is World Calligraphy Day. In case you don't want to read what it is you're presented with in text form.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. It's World Elevant Day. I love those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, selfants are amazing. It is Elvis Week.
Speaker 2: It is. It is also National Bargain Hunting Week.
Speaker 1: Mmmm okay for our thrifty folks out there. It is National resurrect Romance Week because before this it was.
Speaker 2: Dead, yes, and now we get zombie romance.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: And it is Save plus sound Week.
Speaker 1: Did you ever see the movie Warm Bodies.
Speaker 2: No, but I heard it was really good. It's Nicholas Holt, right, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and the whole it is zombie romance, so it was fun. I recommend checking it out. Also, just know what you're getting into, is you go into a movie that is a romance with zombies.
Speaker 2: So it's very particular.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, not maybe for all audiences, but I thought it was very fun, Like it is a adjacent to horror rom com It's somewhere there. Yeah, genre blending and bending, that's always fun. Anyway, we're not here to talk about zombie movies or even necessarily just the holidays. We're talking about functional analyzes, and just to recap what we've discussed really quickly so far in case you have never heard of these and what we're talking about. This is essentially an assessment strategy very commonly employed by behavior analysts in which they create some conditions to observe what could be challenging behaviors, most often with individuals who have limited communication capacity, and when those individuals have some types of behaviors that are very challenging that could be harmed to themselves or others. Or other like related type things. It's like something is severe, let's say, in the way that they're behaving, and we're trying to figure out why are they doing this thing so that we can potentially address how do we get their needs met without them having to do these destructive sorts of behaviors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we also covered you know, as we kind of are talking about this, we talked about the arrangements and different variations of these too, because there's lots of different ways that we do this. So like we set up these condidencies, we set up the way we these tests essentially, and then we do them in a lot of different ways because we really ultimately want to find out this concern is happening, right, this behavior is happening. We want to find out a causal relationship, Like that's the goal. It's not a correlational thing. And we have to do this in different ways because a there's no such thing as a one size fits all type of assessment and so so I think that's really important to note too, is like there's some unique flexibility inside of this what could be perceived as a rigorous test type of assessment. So there's some really cool stuff in there as far as that goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we impact a bit of the history of how this developed, starting before it was actually an experimental sort of thing, with it being more of a conceptual exercise, and they called it a functional analysis, and then in nineteen eighty two the first study where it turned into an experimental functional analysis. And essentially the idea here is sometimes compared to an allergy test. It's let's test a bunch of different situations and see which ones are the ones where we see that challenging behavior occur, and then that tells us what is provoking it and what is maintaining it.
Speaker 2: And this is how we figure out you're allergic to math.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. That's also funny inside joke because one of the original studies had to do with how difficult certain academic tasks were. But anyway, the whole point then is that once we understand that, we can use that information to help guide Okay, this is what this person needs in this situation. Now we can teach them to communicate what they need rather than do this thing that is harmful to themselves or others are both, And then where we went from there is essentially various iterations of people exploring what works, how do we change this, what can we make different about it? That sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it kind of led us up to a little bit of where we are at today, which is is kind of understanding how the actual assessment works. Right, So, like we're looking at like we've established these conditions that we test, we've isolated variables, and here we are kind of looking at I think that what we've found is that the isolation piece is kind of a core feature of this. Like I and when I say isolation, I mean isolating particular like related variables to whatever the conditions are. Yeah, we're going to see that across every type of assessment, but we're at the stage now where we're kind of like maybe even moving away from that a little bit. And we'll kind of talk about that today, I think when we talk about the synthesized types of tests. But I mean, it's really come such a long way, even in our years of working in the field, because I know that when we first started, some of these variations didn't even exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and so we got into essentially describing what the conditions are. For the most part, there's a condition that tests for positive reinforcement, a condition that tests for negative reinforcement, a condition that tests for self stimulatory or sensory reinforcement, and then all of that's tested against the control condition where it should be no motivation to do these behaviors at all. And then there was latency based fays. There are trial based defays their natural environments or pop up or burst contingency fas. An FA, by the way, stands for functional analysis, in case I hadn't said that already, and so we'll probably call it sometimes a functional analysis and sometimes an FA. But that's more or less where we left off. And that kind of brings us up to the discussion today, where we're going to start by getting into another way to sort of arrange these conditions to test for possible functions, if you will, Yes.
Speaker 2: And I'm so excited about this because I think that they're so I do think this is such a cool way to discover relationships about behavior, right, Like it's so interesting, and like I would say, as somebody who has done several of these, it's so cool to watch. It's cool to see like some patterns e merge as you're doing these types of assessments.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, you really can see when you're observing and participating in conducting these you get to see it with your own eyes, the sort of differentiation that can occur between those conditions where it becomes fairly clear, like, look, this is we're seeing something a pattern emerge. I think, as you said, a trend. So yeah, all right, perfect, I think that gets us caught up to where we're at and so getting into this. Then another way that they might specifically try and assess and determine what's going on for a particular individual is a strategy for presenting these fays where what they want to do is directly compare just one single condition, one set of variables, or like one variable basically and then test against that control condition. This is called a pair wise analysis pai R not par yeah, pair wise, where you have basically just those two things that you're looking looking at. And this is most often implemented historically when a functional analysis was not yielding very clear outcomes and there was sometimes variability across conditions, sometimes there was very little behavior occurring across the conditions, and a way to determine if there was a functional variable related to the contingency to the outcomes that the individuals trying to get to is to expose the individual to that condition only just those variables, and then alternate that with the control conditions. See like, if in this one condition that we're repeatedly going to test, alternated with this control condition where there should be no instances of this challenging behavior occur, can we there see a differentiation happen in the pattern where it's clear that it happens over here and it doesn't happen over there.
Speaker 2: Right, And so like this one's really interesting because I think historically what we see with the other types of arrangements is it'll go, you know, let's number all the conditions one, two, three four, right, so it might like what we kind of set up the test, it'll go one two one, you know, one two three four one two three four, and then like we'll kind of alternate between those. What's interesting about a pair wise is it to go one two, one two one two for a few data points, and then we'll test another condition and go one three, one three, one three with one being the control and just kind of to see if there's a trend like isolated instead of having that alternation between one and two and three and four and kind of doing that over and over and over again. So like that's kind of what it might look like in practice. I mean, unless unless I'm completely off base there, but it's just to kind of like give people exactly what I like to me, I think it's important to see what that looks like.
Speaker 1: No, you're exactly right. That was actually a really that was I think a really nice simplified way to describe exactly what the pair wise analysis is between like actual content and ads. We're back. Yeah, So just as you just said, very well, very well put that, it's basically like, yeah, let's j just do yeah one maybe being control conditions and two being the variable and then one two, one, two and going back and forth between those, and then like, depending on how that goes, you might then test another one. And this will be important later when we get to some further innovations in functional analysis implementation strategy, because that idea of like let's just test a thing against a control will come back again later. But yeah, in general, these were applied after a standard functional analysis had been implemented, Like they'd tried to just go through the normal procedures, but it failed to produce any clear outcomes. Like we were running these conditions, but we don't see a pattern emerging now.
Speaker 2: And if we.
Speaker 1: Described in a previous discussion that this could mean this quote unquote automatic function, and we described that in the very first episode in the series so far, and not to dwell on the philosophical issues that might be raised by calling it quote unquote automatic, but for those of you who know, you understand, and if not, we did discuss it a little bit back then. But anyway, it could also mean that the reason that we don't see any clear patterns emerge in the functional analysis is because there was insufficient discriminability, meaning it was just not clear to the individual in question what the difference was between the conditions they were supposed to be experiencing. And so if we simplify the arrangement to just one potentially evocative condition against that sort of control or neutral condition, that might help illustrate the possible reinforce or the possible provocative situation and corresponding outcome that the individual's trying to get. And it's like for them, it was just like, for some reason they do this here, and then some reason they do this here, and they don't really understand what's happening, because most of the time these are individuals very low developmentto their language, and so we can't just ask them or explain to them what's going on. And so it's simplifying it to just this is one thing, and this is the sort of neutral nothing should happen thing, and just make that distinction really clear could help provide the circumstances under which it does become more clear to the individual and to the than the clinicians what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So for example, let's say there's a functional analysis that had variable patterns, and what we mean by that is like just spiky all over the place, kind of looking like what a Rechdor scale might look like, just like bounce it all up some high, some low. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's wild. So that's variable patterns with no discernible trends across those conditions. So like you can't figure out what's happening. It looks like every all the behaviors is kind of all over the place. The clinician might try presenting only the very specific attention condition identified in the interview and alternate that condition with the control play or neutral condition like we mentioned. So that's the one two, one two, one two versus one two, one three, one four, and so on and so forth. And if there is a clear separation in the data, it might suggest that the form of attention, or at least one of the forms of attention that are occurring, or some variable there is maybe one of the maintaining variables, if not the maintaining variable. That separation really makes the difference there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just being able to see like, Okay, when we have just this one, it's clear that we see that those challenging behaviors existing, but in this other one we don't. So that helps us then differentiate. Okay, now we see some kind of pattern we can then use. If the data do not show clear separation, the clinician might try a different pair wise condition against that neutral control condition, just as you were saying before the whole example of like, let's try this specific form of attention and do that against alternating with that neutral condition, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Still don't see anything, all right, Let's try a different type of attention condition and alternate that back and forth. Or let's try a different type of escape condition and alternate that back and forth. And there have been many studies summarizing data from functional analyzes from dozens of experiments, and that's honestly underselling it. Probably hundreds of experiments at this point showing that the pair wise arrangement can be really helpful and identifying a function in which the function of the behavior, like the outcome that individuals seeking, was not readily detectable in that standard arrangement. And so essentially you look at the published literature. There have been many, many, many studies at this point where they summarize dozens of cases at a time and sometimes over one hundred, and then looked at like, how often what was the pattern we saw, how often did it emerge that we saw this, How often did it emerge that we saw this? How often was it the case that we didn't see anything clear.
Speaker 2: In the data?
Speaker 1: And then how often in those circumstances was it the case that a pairwise assessment did yield some clear trends or patterns of the data. And there's quite a few that show that they did.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Now and many of you who have ever worked in a clinical direct service delivery capacity, you know you're working directly with clients, you're working family homes, you're working at schools, whatever might be. You might have had the thought while we're talking through FAS that while this assessment seems ideal and it seems like a great way to develop relevant interventions, it might be difficult or nearly impossible to implement in day to day operations in many places. And I've also heard that funding sources will not pay for additional time to do functional analysies unless it's a private pay space. But that's also a barrier that comes up too, is like not only is there like maybe does it seem difficult to do, but you might not be able to build an insurance company for it.
Speaker 1: That's a great point too. Yeah, there are variety of reasons people have cited as to why they cannot feasibly implement a functional analysis, and in response to that, first, some scholars have taken umbrage with that argument, and we'll outline one of the most seminal of those in just a moment. But second, there was another innovation was that perhaps the behavior function could be assessed simply by observing a natural environment in which the behavior could occur, rather than creating that evocative situation in sort of an experimental artificial environment. They're like, well, maybe what we could do is we could just watch this person and their sort of normal day to day and see if we can determine just observing them that way why those behaviors occur. Or maybe something that's even easier than that that could be sufficient enough to determine what the function of that challenge and behavior might be, is to just use a sort of standardized questionnaire with the relevant stakeholders in that person's world who might have enough experience and insight into those behaviors that we could glean the function of their behavior without direct observation and without that experimentation. So essentially the direction we're going right now is that people sort of argue, Okay, well a functional analysis seems great, but we just can't do it. So what can we do instead? And the two options are maybe we directly observe this behavior in its natural environment. Maybe we just ask the people who are around what is going on the way that they understand it.
Speaker 2: But there is an excellent article, and I love that it comes from this person because of their current work. Yeah, yeah, this was actually like a big schism in our field when this person went off to do their other things and actually from what I understand, cause some headbutting between I want to in this person. Yeah, even though this person was a student of iuaas so Greg Hanley and twenty twelve in the Journal of Behare Analysis in Practice passionately pointed out some of the arguments against fays and provided solutions to those arguments. So, like, this is one of those articles. It's just kind of like, oh, here are nine myths that people. It's a really good, like listical type of article. It's amazing. I mean, it's genuinely done so well because it's like, here's an argument, here are some examples in our literature. Here's an argument. Here are some examples of our literature that debunk that. So it's basically like a myth busting article, which is so cool. So yeah, the first argument is that people will say, oh, functional analyzes take too long, and he offered five minute sessions or trial based sessions or latency based fays which are much quicker. So like, there is a solution to that it takes too long argument, because there are variations that do reduce the amount of time it takes to assess the behavior.
Speaker 1: And actually for all of these like we're only going to list a few that he gave. There are quite a bit more that we're not going to get into, but I do. I did put the article in our links and references for people who want to go check it out because it is really really well written and has some really useful content. So he does provide like, Okay, if this is your problem, here's a potential solution. He also provides like, here's why this is also not really a problem, right, But anyway, we'll get into that. So the next one, that argument is that it's too complex, it's too hard to train staff, it's too hard to implement with integrity, et cetera. And so he suggests that one way to address that is using those pairwise assessments using one of the most relevant condition identified during the open ended interview portion of it. That way, you're only then doing more streamlined implementation strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the arguments that comes up often is that the functional analyses are too dangerous, it's too dangerous to evoke behaviors, and like, there is some truth to that. But what he did was he offered these solutions around conducting assessments in safe places, clear condition signaling, brief sessions, and reinforcing pre behaviors only if you can find a reliable precursor. I think he also in that argument he talked about even identifying an arbitrary behavior that is completely unrelated to the problem behavior and doing an FA on like some like an arbitrary unrelated behavior, and you could still derive a function from that, which I thought was kind of interesting. And he uses I think that argument later to get into some of the stuff that he's doing today which has demonstrated effect. But as somebody who has done fas for dangerous behaviors, I can attest that like if you do precursor fays, or if you do latency based that phays like ones where you do not allow the behavior to occur, you could still get the function out of it. I had to do an FA on a skin picking behavior that was causing wounds in the person. I had to do an FA on a rectal digging behavior that resulted it would go from rectal digging to physical aggression pretty quickly. And then we had to do one on a self injurious behavior where a learner had something like nine thousand, roughly nine thousand incidents of SIB per month. Wow, And we were able to do fas with all three of those and get good effect sizes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't recall now if in previous discussions we mentioned the precursor behaviors. But essentially the idea here is that in the class of behaviors that are all around sort of in the same vein or the same topography class, if you will, of the challenging behavior of question, a lot of times they sort of ramp up to the high magnitude challenging behavior. And so those behaviors that sort of signal to you like, oh, they're getting worked up now, you can actually reinforce those rather than letting them get all the way to full escalation. Right, And that because they're all sort of part of the same momentum, if you will, you can sort of stop it early, still reinforce that and probably detect a meaningful function of the behavior. And these are actually super handy. I've done a few of these as well, and the research is really clear, Like that's pretty actually as usually that's often very effective for identifying what the reinforcer is that is relevant in this particular situation without allowing it to escalate too far. Yeah, that's definitely one to consider as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think precursor behaviors are pretty accurate predictors too. Like there's some Tim Volmer does some really cool research on precursor behaviors and like some specific formulations that will predict them, and like you and I have kind talked about this before where we have talked about precursor behaviors where like sometimes you'll start hearing my voice pitch up a little bit, like I'm almost like preparing to deliver some news that somebody doesn't want to hear, and you can kind of like figure out that it's a little bit of a different cadence than my normal podcasting voice, and that usually means that an AD's coming.
Speaker 1: So we've been discussing some of the arguments that occurred inside this article that was essentially trying to point out, like these arguments against functional analyzes are there are ways to address the concerns and arguments that people have here. There's like it takes too long, it's too complex, it's too dangerous. He also argued that while functional analyzes do take time, is better time spent than to spend time having not done an FA to then create an intervention that is less likely to succeed and will ultimately contain fewer reinforces for the individual than they would have been able to identify if they had correctly found what the behavior function was by having done the functional assessment itself. And so he's sort of pointing out that like, Okay, it does take time, but that's efficient because otherwise you're going to waste a bunch of time doing stuff that doesn't work very well, and that the individual in question here is now also not having as enriched of an experience as they could have otherwise had.
Speaker 2: Right. I've actually heard some will call and make that same argument, which is like and it's it's ultimately an ethics argument, right, like, yeah, is it more ethical to avoid doing an FA because you're worried about problem behavior but to waste time on interventions that are not effective? Or is it more is it more ethical to like do the assessment to identify the function and design more effective intervention earlier and like that that's ultimately the ethics question I think I land on, Like when we have these conversations, it's like, yeah, yeah, let's not waste time. Time is a commodity that we don't get back, right, Yeah, So in an article, he provides an analogy to being intubated in a hospital bed and extremely thirsty but unable to communicate. All kinds of people are attempting to help you and make you feel better, getting you a new pillow, changing the TV, bringing you things that you like, but because they don't assess what is you need, they just provide things that are nice but don't actually solve your problem. They're wasting time while you're still thirsty.
Speaker 1: Right, And so the whole situation there being that like, well, if it's not what the individual actually needs, then like it's all well and good that we're trying to do nice things for them, but like it's not it's not solving an issue. And that's that's the similar to the ethics piece of like I mean that basically is it's just an analogy that he created. But yeah, if you're not actually addressing the behavior function, you're trying to essentially brute force your way through this by just providing some arbitrary something or other for something or other that's not actually getting at with this person need in the situation and therefore why they're engaging in that behavior in the first place. And then, as I mentioned, before. In this article, he provided a multi page table outlining some of those arguments and concerns with conducting a functional analysis, and then some possible solution to those problems. Again, that link will be in our references here, but yeah, so that's essentially a thing to check out if you're curious and learning more about the sort of arguments that are made and how he addresses all of those. He further took some issue with the idea of these descriptive analyzes and these observational assessments and the questionnaires, because we mentioned there's sort of the there's the people who are saying like, well, I can't do an FA. Handley says, yes, you can, and here's how and why. But he also points out in this paper and one of the other things that people have said is like, well, if I can't do an FA, then what I can do is just directly observe the behavior in its natural environment and just record it, take some data, and do an assessment that way. And also maybe what I can do is implement a questionnaire like I can just standardize format, interview the people who are relevant and around this person who around these behaviors, and see if they can provide some insight here. He also pointed out that there are some critical flaws with this that just do not do a good enough job supplementing the functional analysis. But let's get into what those consists of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's laborate on the observational analyzes piece. So these are commonly what is meant by a functional behavior assessment or FBA. That's when we go in and we do the observations, we do interviews, we come up with a clear objective description of the target behavior of concern, whatever that problem behavior is. We call that an operational definition, and then we might hypothesize a potential function from this, and that might include you know, things like ABC data and whatnot that have given us some like patterns that we have observed or the people have reported to us. But either way, at this point, the clinician observes the individual in some environment in which the behavior might occur, and so we're observing when these events actually happen and kind of letting the play out and capturing some data around, like the variables that are contributing to those moments.
Speaker 1: So the person who is trying to do this functional behavior assessment or FBA, what this might look like, is they're going to try and go into the environment where that behavior, the challenging behavior, takes place, and they're going to note the full context whenever the behavior should occur. What they're trying to identify here is what is the circumstance that immediately preceded the target behavior, and they call that the antecedent. What is the behavior itself? And then what are any outcomes that are achieved by this behavior, which is the reinforcer or the consequence? And then, as you just mentioned, this is called an ABC analysis. A for antecedent, B for behavior, C for consequence, and it just flows really nicely. ABC analysis easy to remember. It's a simple three term contingency assessment attempting to describe possible triggers and reinforcing outcomes that may be facilitating the occurrence of those behaviors the sound challenging behaviors or target behaviors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for people who don't understanding behaviorism, they might hear that and think that it's a little reductive that they're going like, oh, that's all behavior boils down to this. There couldn't be more reasons for this, YadA ya YadA. And as a behaviorist, I would also say it can be reductive because it may not capture all the things that it needs to capture. It does its job for what it does. It captures information that you can use to develop further hypotheses. But I'm going to challenge every behavior analyst that listen to this that when you go and you are doing a functional behavior assessment and you're doing FBA's and all that, and if you rely heavily on ABC data as the primary driver for your hypotheses and that's like what your go to is, you may be missing some information and it's not sufficient. It's just not sufficient in like the sometimes it is that simple. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes behavior is that simple. It truly is. But there are other times where there are just other variables of play that we often miss in those types of analyzes. So I would just challenge everybody to like think a little bit deeper about the way that you do assessment with those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get into some of Handley's specific arguments against depending too heavily on those descriptive assessments as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that now. So, for instance, if the clinician is observing the individual who tends to bang their head on a desk in a classroom. It might be the case that when the teacher is busy interacting with other students and the individual in question is sitting by themselves, they strike their head against the desk. The teacher rushes over to stop the head banging from happening, and the antecedent is the withdrawn or divided attention, like the attention is not there, right, and the behavior is the head strike to the desk. And then the consequence is the teacher providing direct one on one attention whenever that happens. And so this might be the reason the attention is the primary reinforcer maintaining self injury to this individual in that particular context.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just as an example, like antecedent attention gone behavior, headbanging on the desk consequence, they get attention, right, And so that ABC assessment there would tell you like, Okay, this person wants attention, and that's so they do these they act out in this way because when they do that, they get the kind of attention they're looking for. Right of note, and Handley points this out too, there are some drawbacks to this simple direct observation strategy for one thing. As Hanley points out, and this is definitely true, most people in this individual's life are generally attempting to mitigate the circumstance that produced those challenging behaviors. So there are often few opportunities to actually observe that behavior happening. Right, Like people have figured out, like, here's how to not set them off. This person has spent a very long time, the individual question here sort of teaching the social environment how to not get them pissed off and not engage in these behaviors. And those people have learned from that and figured out like, let's try and avoid it. And so that can actually result in some other complications when trying to do an FBA, right.
Speaker 2: So FBAs can actually take a really long time because there may be those few opportunities to observe. And I think that's something that does happen. I mean I did an FBA one time. It was five weeks, yeah, because I was told that this person had problem behavior, and it was five weeks of collecting data waiting for the behavior to occur, and then ultimately the behavior didn't occur. That the behavior interest didn't occur at all, Right, or happened once. He was a forty five year old man that said ass one time, and everybody was like, oh oh no, So I was like, he doesn't need services. But it was five weeks of observations, of data collection of interviews and it yielded zero results. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's a very long time as opposed to like the cumulative twenty five minutes that might have been spent in a functional analysis. And also, if your target behavior is swearing, then pull your head out of your ass, people like this is this not? Yeah, grow up, it's not that big a deal. All right. Another drawback here that is worth considering when you're looking at doing something like a descriptive assessment or observational assessment of some sort is that there are very very few I'm actually not aware of any, but I have not dug into the literature in a while, but there are very very few, if any, peer reviewed studies that have shown that an effective intervention was developed from one of these FBAs from this observation alone. That doesn't mean that that doesn't happen, Like I think that there are plenty of instances where there are times that they do develop some effective interventions. It is just very underrepresented in the published scientific literature in the extent to which it is effective. So it's not to say that it doesn't ever work, but the science just right now seems to not really back that up as a very valid strategy for conducting this assessment right.
Speaker 2: And at the end of the day, FBAs are not validated and notoriously fickle in their reliability. And that's just how well they predict the extent to which the future circumstance will again produce the behavior, and that the putative reinforcer will be available and provided such that it can be reasonably concluded to maintain the behavior. Now, this is the thing I think is really important for everybody to hear when we talk about this. FBAs are an important process that we engage in for our work. As a general rule, how people conduct FBAs differs from every single behavior analyst and how they're in the assessment battery and the tools they use and how they approach, and that that's part of why it's so fickle, is like everybody does it a little bit differently. They use the same tools, but they do it a little bit differently, and they do not produce causal relations. They always produce a hypothesis for what we think the function is, and that we can never confirm it through a standard descriptive assessment FBA process. We have to we can only confirm functions through the functional analysis process and can never confirm it through a standard FBA process because it's all observational and.
Speaker 1: It's always full of ads.
Speaker 2: Oh, so many ads.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. Yeah, so we're just ended on the note that it's very important one too, And I hope I didn't undermine too terribly by that segue that, Yeah, like this, you get a hypothesis, you don't get a confirmed function, and you could potentially attempt to validate that by applying said intervention and seeing do we see some shift in the behavior? But it doesn't actually mean you have identified a clear function. It just means you've identified a possible reinforcer maybe, or you've otherwise arranged some circumstances to have mitigated the instance in which this behavior might occur, which does I think speak to the fact that you nessy doesn't necessarily always change the motivation for that behavior, like the reason for it happening, and therefore is still there's some ethical considerations around is this person getting their needs met. But let's move on from the descriptive or observational portion of this and move on to the other thought of how well behavior could be assessed using just those questionnaires, those interview tools that are structured. There have at this point been a handful of various open and close ended questionnaires and standardized interview tools that have been developed and standardized to attempt to create valid and reliable inquiries that may yield useful insight as to what may be maintaining those challenging behaviors. And again we're like, these are the people who are around this when it occurs, They've seen it all the time. Maybe if we just ask the right types of questions we can get enough information. And the thinking is that if we administer the same questionnaire to a handful of people, then the people who are closest to this individual, and then use their answers, we can actually make some determines about likely functions of that behavior because they can we sort of set it up so they can tell us what are the circumstances when that behavior occurs, what happens after the behavior occurs, and it's not those aren't the exact questions, but they are set up in an attempt to create an opportunity to assess possible behavior functions just by interviewing the people who around when that behavior has happened right exactly.
Speaker 2: And while these have demonstrated some utility and clinical settings for many people in many ways, they also come with some caveats that they're unreliable. Questionnaires are often unreliable because different raiders will give different answers to the same questions, and sometimes the same raider will give different answers if the questionnaires administered at different times, and notoriously, people are terrible self reporters, So you know, there's there's also that piece too, where people are reporting on a phenomenon that they're very close to they may give different answers depending on how the question is worded. I mean, it's really kind of fascinating. I think it was like even one of the questionnaires that's often used. I don't know if you talk about this with the functional analysis screening tool.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I did not bring up any specific ones.
Speaker 2: No, okay, I bring I want to bring this up because I think this is this is an important piece. Like there's some studies that show that the functional analysis screening tool, the FAST, which is often used as a like a screening tool type of assessment. I think they found that related to functional analyzes that were conducted after a FAST was completed. I think the FAST is the most accurate of those types of tools, and it was like fifty two percent accurate.
Speaker 1: I remember about being fifty yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like about fifty percent of the time it predicts the function. So like that's a questionnaire that is like it's a coin flip, right, yeah, yeah, at that point exactly. Yeah, it's like this might tell us something maybe, but it's hard to tell. Yeah, And to that point, like just as you were saying, some studies have directly compared some of the questionnaires against an actual experimental functional analysis and generally found only moderate correspondence between the experimental like actual confirmational analysis and the questionnaire, meaning that those questionnaires will tell you one thing, and when you do the actual experiment it tells you something different a good chunk of the time, right, And of course I always had this thought when they were talking about this, and I'm like, okay, well, it could be the case that the questionnaire is the one that's actually yielding the correct and accurate analysis of the behavior function, and that it's the FA that is incorrect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now it does. I mean it could be the case. It does seem a little bit likely because there is substantially more research backing the functional analysis and way more of like validated outcomes that exist there. So it does make sense that the FA, the standard FA, is the tool against which other assessments are compared, such as a questionnaire, to determine are these things yielding behavior function? But just wanted to throw it out there that it's like when compared to an FA, that you'll discriver results. And I'm like, well, that but doesn't tell you. That doesn't technically tell you which one is right. But given the amount of research done validating the use of a standard functional experimental functional analysis, that that is the one that it makes sense that people will lean on that as the comparison sort of match to sample, if you will.
Speaker 2: Sure, because I think it's important to understand like maybe like the process by which we get those data, right, Sure, yeah, exactly, you know, with like these questionnaires and like with the observations, like we're seeing things play out, but we're not doing any sort of like experimental analysis or like manipulating any variables, like the functional analysis is the one where we do start manipulating or changing some variable in the in the environment to see it effect on that response. And I think that those that is so that's such a critically different process that I think that when we when we compare them, it is a little bit like, you know, the goal is the same to figure out the function of the behavior, but the way that we get that information it's just a little bit more robust to the functional analysis stage.
Speaker 1: Right now. I fully went into this expecting we get through all that we have left to say about functional analyses, but there is enough left that I think we actually do have content for a whole entire other episode because we still have to get into like what do we do with the results of a functional analysis? And then I teed this up last time and we didn't get to it, but sort of getting into the other innovations that have happened around functional analyzes, which is specifically synthesized analyses, and getting into some of the controversies therein and getting into some of our own sort of hot takes on some of these issues as well. So rather than drag this out into an hour and forty five minute long episode, let's go ahead and stop here. We'll pause here for this episode and we will go into a part four to get into those sections as well, which bully for everyone here. You know, we got so much content out of this topic. I wasn't sure we'd be like it this much.
Speaker 2: But who to thunk it?
Speaker 1: Who to thunk it? But okay, perfect, Well, let's go ahead and pause there. And as we're sort of heading toward the end of this, for those of you who have never listened to us before and this is your first time, then way to pick up a spot right in the middle. But hopefully you're getting a lot out of this. Still, at the end of our each of our discussions, we recommend some things. We are people who go about the world consuming all kinds of entertainment and books and movies and music and experiences, and we just like to share those with people, and so we recommend them at the end of our discussions, even though they're not about the topic we were discussing most of the time. And so we'll get to that. And we also, of course have the credits. I even have like it's not technically a listener mail. But it's kind of like a listener mail i'd like to read, so get into that as well. But all right, before we go ahead and make that transition, is there anything that I forgot you'd like to add before and we can get to credits and whatnot.
Speaker 2: No, I think we're ready to roll into it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're close enough that I think let's go ahead and do one more quick ad break and then we'll come back for the fun wrap up here where we'll get into our recommendations and all that sounds good. Okay, we're back. I apologize for the lack of cleverness around my ad segway, but thank you all for being here. Thank you for joining us on this journey we continue to find ourselves on with respect to the weird and wacky world and deep dive of behavior functions and functional analyzes with behavior analysts. And how many times did I say the word behavior and function in this discussion. If we were playing a drinking game, everyone would be dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would be very sick. You would be hospitalized, So.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. I would like say thank you so much for listening, thank you for joining us. For those people who would like to support us, there are many ways you can do that. You can leave us a rating and a review on whatever platform you listen to. Just click the highest amount of stars. That's very helpful. We do appreciate it. And if you have something that you'd like to tell us your thoughts about this, you maybe correct us on something, provide some feedback about something you maybe didn't like that we said. You don't have to screw up our algorithm. You can just email us directly info at wwdwwdpodcast dot com. And I do appreciate constructive criticism, and of course I accept glowing praise as well. If you'd like to send that are we do That is a way that you can do it. If you like to support us. Other ways you can tell a friends, make them subscribe to our podcast, or just take their device and subscribe for them. But you can also take the plunge and join us on Patreon. If you do that, you'll get some bonus content, ad free episode, some other goodies, early episodes, that sort of thing, and whateveryone's really here for. At the end of each of our full lengths, I will read the names of the supporters or people who have been trucking with us for so long, helping us be a podcast, and we really really appreciate your generosity and your support and just generally being awesome human. So a giant shout out and thank you too, Mike m Mike T, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian, Kiara, and Charlie for all of your continued awesomeness and support and helping us be a podcast.
Speaker 2: We're beautiful. You're beautiful, and we love you. We're beautiful and you love us is what I meant to say. No, you're beautiful, we love you. Thank you so much for your time and your attention. You guys are the best.
Speaker 1: And I can say we're beautiful and I love you because I also have a team of people who help me make this, who helped the show come to life. So writing in fact checking from Shane and myself, thank you for recording with me today, Shane.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Our social media coordinator is Emma Wilson, and our person who does the sounds good is Justin. Our audio producer, extraordinary God Emperor Penguin, who's so wonderful and great at everything. He's a delight indeed, and I think that's what I have to say about the credits. Is there anything that I forgot?
Speaker 2: No, I think that covers it all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's do a quick kind of a listener mail like thing. We'll do an auditory segue to this. This is actually it's a review someone left our podcast, but it is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about us, and so I want to share it. Was quite flattered when I read it. And we're a little behind because this is about a month ago. But we actually had to record a bunch of episodes ahead of time because we had some scheduling conflicts for several weeks where we wouldn't be able to record. So we've been releasing episodes while not recording them, and now we're back on track here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They titled their review informative and fun and said I took a class at ASU from my graduate program and special education ABA and where someone recommended this podcast, and I thought I would give it a try since I commute a lot and needed something to listen to. Not only is it a psychology podcast, but also speaks on daily political issues and horrors that continue to happen in America. I enjoy the candid conversation, informative content, and most of all that I am learning while listening. Shane Abraham have a great dynamic that reminds me a little of John Oliver and Last Week Tonight, as the topics are sometimes to hear but important. Nonetheless, their username is one six for the Bunch Numbers. So anyway, thank you to String of Numbers for that very kind and very thoughtful comparison. Being compared to John Oliver is extremely flattering to me. Yes, So that was very very sweet of you, and I'm glad. I also appreciate people who find a love of learning as we do, and that's kind of what we're up to in this discussion. So hopefully this has been insightful as well what we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, and thank you for the kind words. Anytime you all want to share nice words with us, that'd be super cool. Yeah, we love that.
Speaker 1: We're here for it, do you get Yeah? All right, Grevy, Well let's go ahead and transition then to the fun part here of our recommendations and yeah, cue the music.
Speaker 2: Recommendations. I am going to recommend a place that is it's maybe a little bit difficult to get to if you're in the States, but you can at the very least still donate money to this place, which I think is cool. And so that is a place called the Bonarong Wildlife Sanctuary in Hobot, Tasmania. So I bring this place up because I think this is such a great example of how sanctuary should be set up and I think it's really cool. So this place was a fairly small plot of land in Tasmania, which is the most southern state of Australia. It's the Island. And for those of you who don't know, the wildlife in Australia is very ridiculous. I was just there for a work trip and I got to experience it. But I say ridiculous because it's just so unique compared to the rest of the world. It's just so so different. We found this wildlife sanctuary kind of like haphazardly. It was last day we were there and we're like, let's go check this out, let's see what let's see what this is all about. And we get there and it was perfect. It was exactly like I said, what a wildlife sanctuary should be. Lots of local animals, they have twenty four to seven care for the animals in terms of like not only care but for rescues, so like they have a hotline where people can go pick up animals for rescues, so it is a rescue as well. They have a hospital on site that they can do surgery for the animals and make sure they're cared for, like especially when they come in with like burns or broken limbs and all that. And they do educational tours, so you buy a ticket and they do tours for free. The folks that work there take you to every animal habitat. They explain the animals and what they do and what they are all about, and it's just super fascinating. So to give you an idea of what they have at this sanctuary, they have Tasmanian devils. They have a huge area for forester or kangaroos, which are quite tall in person. You don't realize how tall kangaroo is until it stands up next to you and tries to eat food out of your hands. But lovely, lovely creatures. There were bare nosed wombats, which, by the way, I fell in love with one named Pebbles, and I wanted to bring her home to her and spend time with her. She was very interesting. They short beaked a kidna, which if you've never seen the kidna, it's like if an ant eater were a hedgehog.
Speaker 1: It looks what I was actually gonna say, Like I pulled up the website and they got it and I was like, oh, kidd does and yeah, they that is a good way to describe it as an ant eater hedgehog. That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the one they had only had three legs, so like it would like kind of like drop its butt when it was walking, and I loved it. So they have batongs, they have gliders, they have qualls, and they have like a bird place too. So they've got cockatoos, which, by the way, are just wild there, just like cockatoos are just flying all over the place. Sure there are frog mouths, which are really cool birds of prey. There was a cape Baron geese walking around that had a condition called angel wing, which meant that couldn't fly very well. Her name was Lucy, and she liked to greet all the people that would come in and she was very nice. But my favorite is that they had these like parrots called galas. Yeah, and I'm not saying that with an Australian accent. It was ga la h yeaheah. I'm familiar and they were very cool too, So yeah, Glas. Anyway, it's if you get a chance, please donate to them. They're doing really great work. They're doing great conservation work and the food was all vegan, so they make sure that their their snack bar aligns with their goal and mission of saving animals and conserving the environment.
Speaker 1: Very nice, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I realized that you're the galaw clarification was not for me, that's for audience, But I was and not a super nerd on this, but that is one of the It's a really good card in the Wingspan board game.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, that's that's cool. Awesome. Well, I now I feel like I should have gone first because yours was so much more important than mine.
Speaker 2: But there's pretty important too.
Speaker 1: Ban Wong Wildlife Sanctuary. I'm recommending a movie that recently came out. It is the new Spider Man movie Brand New Day. Yes, oh my god, I love this movie. They have just been absolutely nailing it with the Spider Man movies in the MCU and regardless of whether or not it's MCU. And this one was just so extremely fun and well done and I really really enjoyed it. Great cast, some big reveals I don't want to spoil just yet, but action was fantastic. They did they really actually did some more unique ways of showing like Spider Man swinging through the city, and like, after all this time, they're still finding innovative ways to depict what that can and can look like and how cool it is, Like it's really neat to see them just continue to push the envelope in terms of visual effects, in terms of like action, and just such a well done movie, so really really enjoyable if you're at all interested in sort of superhero action movies. This one was super well done.
Speaker 2: I think there's something really special about Tom Holland because I think he does Peter Parker and Spider Man well. Like Yes, that's always the challenge of like playing a character that has like two stinct personalities, like Batman is like that, like you for somebody to be a good Batman, you also have to be a good Bruce Wayne right, and Tom Holland just does both so well. Like Andrew Garfield was a really good Spider Man. Yeah, but he was too cool. He was Peter Parker. He was very cool, and that was not you know, the case. And Toby Maguire is also another example of like a good Peter Parker and a good Spider Man, but he always looked a little bit older. I think that Tom Holland does a good job of like keeping the youthfulness of Peter Parker and being a good Spider Man and like the Hubrist that are not the Hubrist, but like the gravity that comes along with that character and the tragedy that comes along with that character. Yeah. I mean, it's just it's great. It was such a great movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So all right, Bonnarong, Wildlife Sanctuary and Spider Man Brand New Day probably still in theaters at the time that this comes out, So go check those things out if you're in Australia or just want to go see a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, we have one more part I think to come back to discuss in terms of functional analysies, So catch us next week. I think that'll wrap it up with what with the amount of content we have left, I do look forward to sharing with everyone, but I think that's what we have to say. Anything that you like to add that I forgot before we wrap up.
Speaker 2: Dope, not today.
Speaker 1: All right, this is Abraham and it's Sheene. We're out.
Speaker 2: Siya.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Why We Do What We Do.
Speaker 2: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWD WWD.
Speaker 1: Podcast dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day