Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: We live everywhere on social media and let's go beyond the box score with our regular commentator Jackie Ray, who joins us in the studio.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Jackie, Good evening.
Speaker 3: I saw this story regarding former Olympian Lolo Jones.
Speaker 2: It is made by Blood Boil.
Speaker 3: If you don't know Lolo Jones, multi Olympics, multi sport medaled athlete. She was suspended from using the training and sports medicine facilities at the US Olympic and Paralympic Training Center in Lake Placid for the past four months because of a verbal confrontation with a sports medicine staff member after she was denied medical treatment at the center.
Speaker 2: That's important she was denied and then.
Speaker 3: Make a long story short, she said to one of the top officials, John Faltis, over there, you are a fing excuse me, a horrible f in human being. Then she was put out and they released a statement saying this conduct is unacceptable and I want to make it clear that such behavior cannot be tolerated. They did a subsequent investigation and found that she should have not been denied treatment at the Olympic Training Center.
Speaker 2: They did not reinstate her and remove her suspension.
Speaker 3: For me, it's like, okay, so you basically admit that you were in the wrong trained center. You also admit that you're not going to remove the suspensions. Well, how could you be wrong and also keep the penalty in place?
Speaker 2: Obviously she was righteous in her anger, was she not?
Speaker 4: She was absolutely righteous, And I'm I would just love to meet this medical professional, to meet someone who is trying their best to finish out their career as strong as possible. Know she's in some pain. I saw that she had some incontinence at that moment in time.
Speaker 2: That is, if y'all don't know what that is, Google it lost control of bowels. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I couldn't figure out a good way to describe that. But that is the worst possible scenario, especially when you're an athlete, when you're any human being. So as a medical professional to not say, hold on, even if she was in the wrong, to see that she's in pain and to know she has this issue, to not say, let me take a beat, let me see what I can do.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can get you in tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can get you in later today, because had they taken that extra step, they might have seen instantly that they were in the wrong.
Speaker 2: They could have done both.
Speaker 3: In other words, they could have shown grace during right or grace after right.
Speaker 2: Either or it would have been better than this.
Speaker 3: If they would have shown grace during this, you point out, they probably could have rectified it all immediately. If they showed grace afterward, it could have been an apology, our mistake. Let's lift the suspension and move forward. But they couldn't do either right.
Speaker 4: And the crazy thing is is I love how they said, Oh, she used, you know, foul language. If she would have said you are a horrible human being and just left out the pleasant adjective, it's my favorite word in the English language. If she would have left that out, I feel like they still would have done this to her because she was probably irate when she said it.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like it's what she said. I think it's how she said it, and it is probably all that.
Speaker 3: But then you have to wonder if you're gonna talk about the hippocratic oath and do no harm, well, there has to be some sort of caveat that also says help when you.
Speaker 4: Can right right, And that's the thing when you're talking about athletes, and when you're talking you have this center, so athletes can really perform at their best and their highest level. And then when you find out. So there's two things that brothered me about this. Number One, you found out you were wrong. You didn't even say oops, my bad. You said, oh, we were wrong, so sorry for you. We're just gonna stay on this road. But you didn't even get both sides of the story. So their little whack investigation only asked one person, and that was the person she said, you're a horrible f in human being or whatever she said, But they didn't ask the athletes around. The athletes around her said this is terrible, This is way too far. This is retaliatory that should not be happening. But their voices don't matter either. So even the athletes that are in this that are not suspended or didn't get access, you have to wonder how they feel.
Speaker 2: There's something else to this.
Speaker 3: There's also allegations of selective enforcement of this code of conduct. This past winner, a team USA Winter Sport athlete screamed and cursed at a US teammate at an international event, refusing to stop even after being warned by team officials and other teammates. This code of conduct is supposed to be all encompassing, is when you're trading facility, when you're competing all of those things, and if you're not going to enforce it all the time, then I really have to look at you sideways.
Speaker 4: Even if the whole thing, to me, I just see Kobe going soft. You soft, Like, what are we talking about. We're talking about words, We're not talking about people getting physical. We're talking about athletes. I don't know an athlete on the planet who's never cursed in their lifetime and been agitated about something, especially when they're competing at a high level.
Speaker 2: So this is asinine protocol.
Speaker 4: To me, it's soft, and it gives them leeway to be selective and who they retaliate against.
Speaker 2: I think it's intentional.
Speaker 3: I wonder if there's not a lawsuit coming only because the physical aspect of being in pain and being denied treatment and then also being proven that you were wrongfully denied treatment.
Speaker 2: Lolo Jones, I think is forty one or forty Yeah, this is it for her, Yeah, this is it so this is.
Speaker 3: The end of her career, and if you denied her rehabilitation any type of treatment which shortened her career or brought it on quicker, I could see a case there I would be interested to see, and especially if you start digging up more instances of selective.
Speaker 4: Enforcement, right, And I'm wondering why they're not thinking about that, because that would have made me immediately reverse it.
Speaker 2: Because if you're.
Speaker 4: Doing you know you're in the wrong, and you're saying, hey, you're admitting you're in the wrong, publicly admitting and you're in the wrong, but you're still going to suspend like there's no one in your legal department that said, hey.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, don't say that.
Speaker 3: If you're watching a YouTube show or on Instagram, you can see some of the video of Lolo Jones at the point of reference. And she is a marketable individual and I I mean not to say that she'll be found very sympathetic.
Speaker 4: Yes, and she's in fantastic shape to be her like any age really, but she's in fantastic shape. And so that's going to even garner more sympathy because you see a woman who knows she's at the end of her career, and she's trying to go out with a bang, and you denied her the ability to do that. She's going to have instant public sympathy.
Speaker 3: Someone else who's in the news when we come back, who I don't know, deserves public sympathy. Shaduor Sanders, the son of Dion Sanders, you know, coach of Colorado. You followed him, We followed the family for quite some time. He originally was thought to be a first round draft pick, a high first round draft pick. Long story short, deon Sanders gotten away and basically boguarded and said certain teams were not going to be able to draft his son.
Speaker 4: He dropped to the fifth round for Eli's dad. But you know the Eli didn't Eli say something similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said he was not going to play for the San Diego Chargers. But I say that to say to set this up that Shadoor Sanders, it was a feeling.
Speaker 2: There's a question about his character.
Speaker 3: There's a question about whether he was mature enough to lead a franchise as a quarterback. He gets two speeding tickets in a week, one for driving forty miles an hour over the limit. I want to talk about that with you when we come back, let's do it. If I AM six forty We're going to be on the box Score with Jackie Ray. We're live everywhere on social media and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: CAF I AM six forty is Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: We're live on YouTube and everywhere else on social media and the iHeartRadio app. We like to talk about sports, but through the lens of just societal issues and things that we don't break down the box Score. We break down the issues in sports and how they apply to us. Shadoor Sanders, very famous son of legendary football coach Hall of Famer Dion Sanders, is now coming into the NFL with a lot of expectations and I think maybe shud Or Sanders fancy himself a little better than he is.
Speaker 2: But we'll see what happens on the field.
Speaker 3: I know that if you're going to play quarterback in the NFL, you are looked at as the face of the franchise. Presumably after every game you are doing the interview speaking on behalf of the team. Right, you have to carry a much larger load and from that, higher expectations, higher maturity level demanded. And when I see that Shudor sanders not one but two speeding tickets, one for going ninety one and a sixty five zone and one going one hundred in a one on one in a sixty two days apart, that says to me that there may be some immaturity issues, which has been highlighted in recent recent weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's more than immaturity though too. I think it's a level of entitlement. I think because of who his father is and the expectation and the way that he talks, and he does see himself at a level that he has not reached yet. So the expectation is, in my opinion, is he feels like he can he can do these things, and if he does get pulled over, it's a oh my god, you're sure and you know and then it's over. I think he sees himself at a higher stature than what he actually is.
Speaker 2: What scares me is life is going to happen. It is going to happen.
Speaker 3: They're going to remind him that he's not for a number of reasons. One, because you're a twenty two year old black man with flowing a lot of money, right, that draws unnecessary attention to you, a lot of attention you may not want. And also you're your contract is not guaranteed.
Speaker 2: It's not there.
Speaker 4: But again, so I'm gonna tread lightly on this one, okay, because if it was anybody else who had this opportunity, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. This is an opportunity that can change his life. This is not the situation for him. He gonna have money regardless, He.
Speaker 3: Had money coming in already because of the nil or family money.
Speaker 4: Right, and so he he's in a different place. I can tell you right now. If he gets dropped next week, he's going to be someone where on commentating some game. His career is not going to end just because football doesn't work out. So he doesn't have the same Okay, let me hunker down, let me prove myself. He doesn't have that because he's never had to have that. So his a little flip it with it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The first ticket didn't bother me. I'm gonna say that didn't bother me. I'm a speed demon myself, you know what I mean. So I just I don't get caught a lot. I know where they are, you know, so it's different. The second ticket bothered me because once you get that first one, then it should be a okay.
Speaker 2: I still have to prove myself.
Speaker 4: I still have to show the world that I am the leader, because like it or not, I do think that sometimes it's separate. Your life in football is different from your real life. However it's not perceived that way. How you are perceived is in totality. So if you act crazy in the world, they're going to assume you're acting crazy in the locker room.
Speaker 2: And you have to know.
Speaker 4: Look, whether y' all like it or not, black people we have to work twice as hard to get half the credit. He knows this because he's seen this, and this is America. We know what we know we're up against, and he has an obligation, in my opinion, to make sure that he's not only living up to certain standards, but he exceeds the standards, and he makes sure that black men coming up after him are not seeing like, oh, I bet you he's just like just because now he's the standard that people can say, Oh, if Librador will do.
Speaker 2: It, let me put it in just my terms.
Speaker 3: I know whenever I walk into a room or whenever I open this mic here on KFI, either I will confirm or debunk stereotypes, right, and people will look for that and they will say, well, he is this or he's not that. Now, I don't mind someone twenty two big twenty two. I don't want to have the wisdom or sophistication of a fifty five year.
Speaker 2: Old man because I didn't have that when I was twenty two.
Speaker 3: I was a knucklehead, but I didn't have the same level of expectations or burden on my shoulders. I hope Deon Sanders can pull his son aside and say, look, you are representing more than just yourself, right, and you are also expected to conduct yourself in a different than everyone else. And it may not be fair, but it's a fact. You have to live up to those expectations. Should Door Standers to me, as of yet, has not shown that he's ready to accept that level of the responsibility, from the way that he handled his time at the Combine and how he handled his interviews to what he's doing right now. I always wish the best for young athletes, but I don't know that he's getting a wise counsel.
Speaker 4: And that's my concern because you know, if you if you're not old enough to remember Dion when he came in the league, he was very showy as well. He was very over the top, but it was still a limit. He's still he was great in interviews.
Speaker 2: His teammates trouble.
Speaker 4: Didn't he didn't get in any trouble. His teammates loved him. He was he was over the top, but in a way that was very acceptable and it made him fun to watch.
Speaker 2: This isn't fun, so he has to learn.
Speaker 4: And I'm surprised that there's not a level of self reflection because sometimes when we just sit back and watch ourselves, we can go ooh, that was not the right thing.
Speaker 2: Should do us.
Speaker 3: Not a generational talent, he's not as far, absolutely, and he does not have the personality and affability of his father.
Speaker 4: Do you think that maybe that's what we're seeing is him understanding that he's not his father, and that's messing with his mind in some way.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But this is way too late in the game to have a you know, an adolescent crisis of you're trying to figure it out or Daddy issues. I'm just saying, you know, you want to be in the league, you're going to have to be a man in a man's league.
Speaker 2: And what responsibility does Dion. Dion knows the game, Yes, I know.
Speaker 3: I think he has the ultimate responsibility as coach and father to make sure that his son is prepared to deal with not only the league, but to deal with the world.
Speaker 2: And you know it's hard.
Speaker 3: I've never experienced it, but to be twenty two and be worth eight figures, that's insane. Yeah, it's insane, and it's I know that I would not have been mature enough for it, but this was the adventure that Dion and Shaduur have both chosen.
Speaker 4: I think as a parent, I would know that that's way too much money for a child, So I think as a parent, I would want to set things up have people around him. Sometimes the word from your parents is not the words you want to hear, so you have to make sure that there are other people in play that can help. And maybe he just doesn't have that, or maybe Dion needs to circulate some people out of his circle.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: If there's another incident like this in the near term, then I'm going to start believing that he's just not mature enough.
Speaker 2: For the NFL.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't let this speeding if I was Dion, I'm snatching his keys. You're gonna get a driver's.
Speaker 3: Yes, sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. But you know, I hope that he will put it this way. He will get a chance to prove himself on the field. At some point, he may get cut by Cleveland.
Speaker 2: I'm being very.
Speaker 4: Serious, yeah, this one, And that was going to be my next question. If he gets cut, do we all of a sudden see a different kid who now needs he has humbled.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been humbled yet. He hasn't dealt with any real adversity.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's learned to take responsibility for that which he does. You know, if people look at him a certain way because of his antics honor off the field, he has to own that right. And there's a larger message I think for young people and athletes in general, beyond shud or Sanders like. Look, I call this free wisdom. You don't need to make the same mistakes as someone else to be able to extract the wisdom from it.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I wish him the best.
Speaker 4: I want to see him succeed, but it's I think his talent will eventually catch up. We just have to make sure that his personality is in check.
Speaker 2: Good luck your faith Sanders, you know.
Speaker 4: But Dion, it's such a humble being now he he is.
Speaker 3: But I don't know that his son gets that maturation process.
Speaker 2: Of his own father.
Speaker 4: Well. I mean, the kid's been on TV since he was little, you know, so it's like he's never he's not lived real life yet.
Speaker 2: Let's just be honest, and.
Speaker 3: I don't think he I don't think he's the star that his father was at eighty level of football.
Speaker 2: You can't tell him that though.
Speaker 3: It's Later with mo Kelly. We'll talk to you soon, Jackie Red KFI AM six forty. We're live everywhere on social media and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty