Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 3: Trim.
Speaker 4: Just watch him as who many good things to see? Black crazy in glosing not a sign gas.
Speaker 3: The sum of between.
Speaker 5: Alrighty, I'm ready to go. How about you ready to do a little garden talking today? You're listening to garden Line.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Skip Richter, And that's what we do here, talk about the things that interest you, Questions about lawns and trees and gardens. Maybe you're planning a new garden, a new garden bed. You're looking for some flowers that'll work for summer. You know, we can all kinds of questions, everything from oh, orchids in the house to I don't know, zz plant in the house. There's a z at least on the other end, how about azielias to zz plants? That ought to be the new thing? I say on there. But whatever kind of planet is, we'll be happy to help you with it. If it's past diseases and weeds you're trying to control, we can talk about those two. The main thing is, let's figure out how to make gardening more fun for you, how to make your garden more beautiful, your landscape more beautiful. How to make your flower beds and your vegetables and your herbs and fruit trees more productive. That's the goal, and then definitely have fun in the process. Sometimes it just comes down to the nuts and bolts, like Okay, is this tree gonna make it or not? What should I do? Cut it down or leave it or whatever. But a lot of time it's more about creating beauty and fun. So here's a suggestion I'd have for you back this afternoon, be a good day to get out and do a little of this. As you drive around town, look at what you see in other yards and go to neighborhoods you don't usually go to, you know, just check some different things out and notice what you like, just to you know, is that I like that color, I like that shrub. I don't know what it is. Take a picture of it. You can send it to me. We'll talk on the air, and we'll talk about what kind it is and what other things might go with it. Notice the things that you like. Maybe it's just one little thing. I was driving by a yard the other day and they had an arrangement of containers that was really pretty different size and types containers. The way they had them grouped together is kind of close to the front door, and it just looked good, and I just thought, well, that's a good idea. I like that to find things like that that you might like to do at your house and then begin to build something that is of interest to you. That's kind of what we're aiming for. That's what we're going after this morning. Of course, everybody asks questions about the lawns, how to have a beautiful lawn, how to keep it beautiful? Well, when it comes to summertime, the primary thing your lawn is needing is some nitrogen in small amounts over time, just provided little doses of nitrogen.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Nitrophos Folks have a product called sweet green. It is not a slow release, it isn't. It releases pretty quickly. Microbes get a hold of it and they love it because it's got a lot of carbon chains in it, and they go after it and then they release it out. But you can do little small applications of sweet green as often, you know, as you see fat as your lawn likes and sweet greens not just for lawns, and I've used it in other places as well. But it's a good product, eleven percent nitrogen. It's an organic type product, so you're going to find it in a lot of places like other nitofoss products, and it makes a good little quick boost. I think it's an excellent product. Plus it smells really good. You're going to find it at places like Chended Forest and a Richmond Rosenberg, maybe Court Hardware on South Maine in Stafford, or m and D Cyprus up on Luetta. Let's do this. We got an early bird this morning on the phone, so we're going to head to tom Ball and talk to Mel. Hello, Mel, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning, Skiff.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 7: I said you I sent you an email. I hope my box just a few moments ago. I don't know if I don't know if I went through or not I got.
Speaker 3: It, and was it how many photos? Was it just one one?
Speaker 8: There were two?
Speaker 3: There were two.
Speaker 7: One of theould probably do but two of them, Okay, they look like a bomb went through them. I mean, I don't know what happened, what I did wrong when I planted them or what or if I didn't prune them properly. But any little bit of a water gets on them, A rainstorm or when my sprinkle system goes off. Man, they just kind of like explode. And I know you can see that all different odd shapes, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're basically you're talking about they and they they the branches kind of open up and come apart where the bush doesn't look nice and upright, that's weird. Boxwood's a pretty stiff branched shrub. So I'm not sure what was going on there, if they were growing in a lot of shade or they just had them really bunched close together. I think they'll be fine even you know, if you wanted to, if you want to prop just a little bit. And but they once they get out there and get moving in the breeze and stuff, they should stiffen up and be fine. This isn't a boxwood ailment that that we're seeing here. But if you know, if you want them a little tighter, you can always trim them a little bit and get them to hedge and form more shoots and and that'll that'll make them a little stockier. But it just looks like the branches are a little lanky for the diameter of the branch.
Speaker 7: Well, what we got is we've taken like an what they're called it. Anyway, we put a strap around towards the bottom and well this yeah, yeah, so there's nothing I can do, I mean trim them or we just got to live.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, they will stiffen.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: The strap I don't think is going to help a lot because it's not going to allow the movement that will help those branches to get a little bit stronger and stiffer. I would like, I said, I might have something that, you know, just kind of holding them from the ones that look like they're just flat laying over, you know, it kind of lifts them up a little bit. But I think maybe cutting them back by about a third will help.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then as they begin to regrow and again as you get wind and movement back in that along that side of the house, it's gonna they should stop this and and become no boxwoods.
Speaker 7: I can trim them back about a third now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would do about a third right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, all righty squirrels too, So thank you?
Speaker 3: There you go. Now is does does what water come off the roof there and land on them?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 7: Huh no, it's just okay, good. It's just when it rains or when a sprinkler system goes off.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all right, all right, Melvi you too, thanks a lot, appreciate appreciate your call. You take care on this good Sunday. Uh Tree Services. I just had somebody send me some emails today and they had a question about a tree and it was, you know, all in the house and other things, and it's hard for me to assess that in photos. I mean, I can look and give you an opinion, but when we're talking about what's at risk is human life, your the your home roof getting crushed. You need to have a professional come out and look at that. An affordable tree service Martin Spoon Moore's company. They have been doing this for a very very long time. Family has been in the business, I believe over fifty five years now in the greater Houston area. And just give them a call and have them come out and look at what you need. They do consultations, they do trimming and pruning. And by the way, with storm season upon us, it's good to make sure your trees are in the strongest, most resilient condition they can be in when it comes to weathering the strong winds that come here. When we have our summer storms, you can. You can call them at seven one three six nine nine two six six three. If you call your you're probably going to talk to Martin's mom. It's a family business, and uh just tell her you heard about on Guardline. Guardline customers are their priority, so make sure and tell them that they do stay busy because they do good work. But Affordable Tree Service seven to one three six nine nine two six six three. Whether it's a consultation, whether it is pruning, deep feeding, pest is ease control, or even just stump grinding, they can do it all. And if you are going to do anything around that tree in the way of construction, for sure, for sure, before you mess with the soil or put concrete over the roots, or dig a trench or anything like that, have Affordable Tree come out, take a look and advise you, because once the damage is done, there's much less that's in your power to control than what you can do before the damage is done. All right, Affordable Tree seven to one three six nine nine two six six three. I'm gonna take a little break. We'll be right back, all right, folks, It is all right. It's gonna be a good day too. By the way. I hope you will enjoy it and get out there. We've got some cloudy weather coming next week, hopefully get a little bit of rain, depending on what part of the listening area you are in. Of it now, it would be a good time. If you're going to put out a fertilizer on your lawn, this would be a good time to get that down, get it watered in really well.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: There is a product from night Foss called Superturf. Super Turf lasts a long time. I was telling you about the Sweet Green that night Foss has the organic eleven percent. That's an immediate release. I can do it in small doses, but the super Turf, you put it down now and you're done. It's like months of feeding slowly gradually over time, and it works really well. If you get it down and we get a little bit of rain down on it to move it in the soil a little bit, that's good. One thing about for lightning for a rain is look at the prediction and wait until you're real close, because you know how the weather changes his mind as we get closer and the weather does what it does. Then make sure you're not going to get like two inches of rain or something a gully washer. You wouldn't want that right right after you fertilize, but a little bit of rain coming in would help save you having to water it in. If not, just watered in about half inch of water and it works real. While superturf is a silver bag, it's easy to find. It's all over the place. You're going to find it in a chanted gardens down there in Richmond Rosenberg area. Maybe you are in the Cypress area. If you've been to Langham Creek Ace Hardware. I was there just the other day FM five twenty nine on FM five twenty nine, just buying Copperfield down in Katie Katy. Ace Hardware on Pinoak another good place where you're going to find nitro fosh products like the silver bag of super turf. The the thing about our lawns that we want to remember is we want to keep them gradually growing with some vigor. And that is the key. People. You know, I always tell you that if a teaspoon is good, that doesn't mean a tablespoon is better. And certainly that's true when it comes to herticides weed killers in the lawn. You gotta be careful with that. And it's true with insecticides and fungicides as well, but it's also true with fertilizers. You know, if I saw a picture one time, I wish I could show you a picture on the radio. Maybe I'll post it to Facebook. That would be a good idea. I think I'll try doing that. But it was three basically crocs of water that had nutrient in them, and they had a little like a little lid on the crock with a hole in the lid, and they stuck grass roots down through the hole. So imagine these crocks of water, and the grass was growing in the three crocs, and on the left hand side, the grass was not very green. It looked like it was really hungry. In the middle it looked good, and on the right hand side it was deep emerald green and flopping over. Those were the not enough nitrogen, the right amount of nitrogen, and the too much nitrogen. And then when they lifted the lid and you looked at the roots, the grass with not enough nitrogen had a really good root system because it was searching, hunting for nutrient. The one in the middle had a very healthy root system. The right amount of nitrogen this kind of like the story of the Goldilocks and the three bears. And then the one on the right that had so much nitrogen and had that deep emerald green flopping over fast growth rate, meaning you get to momo mo trying to keep up. It had a less root system than any of the others now in summertime, a small root system. That's not very resilient for your long grass plants. Right, So you want a good one. Middle one is the right one. That's the thing about a teaspoons good. That doesn't mean a tablespoons better. You can make your lawn greener, you can make it grow faster, but a good amount of nitrogen, like they recommend on the bag. Read the bag. It amounts to about a pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet of lawn. That gives you the prettiest lawn and the most resilient, healthy, deep rooted, drought resilient. You know, grubs to a few roots, the grass isn't gonna die. I mean, it's got a good root system. It's fine. That's what we're going for. So think about that when you fertilize. Just remember, just because you have a whole bag of fertilizer doesn't mean you need to use it all on a certain spot. Look at the rate that you need to put out, all right, I hope that makes sense. Hey, in chen It Forest one of my favorite garden centers to go to down in Richmond Rosenberg area. I love it for many reasons. Number one, the selection of plants is unbelievable. The folks that work there very friendly and help you know what they're talking about. But when you walk in, there's all beautiful shade trees and you just love wandering around in the cool of the shade, even on a good hot day. It's a nice place to go and visit. And they carry plants that thrive here in our climate. That is what they're all about. They make sure that when they carry something you're going to have success with it. They go for that. Okay, so we're talking about plants like pollinators. They really specialize in more types of butterfly, larval food sources and adult food sources, and you're going to see almost anywhere. They carry shrubs and trees that are very well adapted to area. Things like the native wax myrtle, a real wonderful southern sable makes it an excellent, excellent plant. And another thing that they do is they make sure that they take care of the brown stuff as well as the green stuff. You know, when you go home from the ingented forest, you can go home with a good organic based flower for or maybe a slow relief fertilizer for some native plants, or a lawn that you're doing. Maybe it's a compost based amendment for an herb garden you're going to put in. They know that healthy soil makes stronger plants, and so they're going to sell you the plants that are going to thrive here, tell you how to take care of them, and then provide you with that foundation that you need no matter what it is that you're going after. You're looking to bring in hummingbirds, you're looking to bring in butterflies, you're looking for a great shade tree that'll be resilient and just get more valuable over time. Enchanted Forest stunt in Richmond, Rosenberg. By the way, they're on FM twenty seven fifty nine. But what you really need to do is just write down this website Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Enchanted Forest Richmond, t X dot com. You're listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter seven to one three two one two KTRH. That's our number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Give me a call. We'll talk about the things that are of most interest to you. I was visiting with Ian at Nature's Way Resources that's up in Tumble Tumble, the Conroe area. If you're going up Interstate forty five from Houston to Conroe, about where fourteen eighty eight comes in from the left, before you get to the river up there on forty five, you turn right instead and go across the railroad tracks and that's Sherbrooke Circle, the first thing street you hit, and that's where Nature's Way is. And they have got every kind of product that you would need. You know, from when John Ferguson founded the place back ages ago, they have been all about creating that foundation for plants the way nature does. That's why I say Nature's Way. And Nature knows how to take organic matter and make the soul better and better year after year. And when you go to Nature's Way, you pick up products that do the same thing. You know, you can't wait eighty years for you know, a forest to slowly build your soil in the yard. You want to get there fast, and so you buy their compost. You buy their products for azalias and camellias and acid loving plants. You buy their products that are for vegetables and herbs and fruit trees and so on. They've got it all, from composts to various kinds of mulches. I just got a nice composted double ground melts that I really really like from there. But I want tell you about a deal that you need to take advantage of, and that is the fungal compost overstock sale. Now I've been talking about fungal Friday's a lot where they have a discount on Friday. This is bigger than that. Listen to this. Fungal composts, first of all, is a wood top product based compo. Not pallettes and ground up pallets and stuff like a lot of cheap junk you see on the market that they try to sell you. This is a ground hardwood type of product with other materials. But it's a it's called fungal base because that that fungus is what is able to break down wood. That that basically is what it's about. You see a bunch of wood chips and little kind of like a little white strands going through there. That's fungi. That's what they do in nature. But when you turn these products into a fungo compost, it is outstanding. I mean, you screen it down far enough and you can need to use it to top restaurer lawn if you wanted to. But fifteen dollars a cubic yard now through May. You got to pick it up in Conrod. There is no limit. So you got a friend with a truck and a trailer or something, make a deal with them, with a neighbor. I mean, let's load that thing up. Fifteen dollars a yard. That's incredible price at Nature's Way Resources. Here is the website. Write this down nature's Way Resources dot com. Nature's Way Resources dot com. You are not gonna find now. By the way, this deal is now through May the rest of May, so we're you know, there's not much time left, got about a week left in this one. But I would, if ever me, I would just say overstock at your house on it, because you are going to use this through the course of the whole year. I mean you may go in and build some beds now, but you're gonna be topping off beds. You're gonna be doing a lot of things over the course of the year. Even the top dressing I mentioned. Get you some good quality fungal compost from Nature's Way Resources for this incredible price Nature'sway Resources dot Com. All right, that was my best effort at getting you to hear that and to consider it, because there are very few things you can do for your lawn, for your garden, for your vegetables, for shrub beds, flower beds. Then start off with great, great soil, and they know how to build good soilo at Nature's Way. That's for sure. Our phone number if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two kt r H and we will be glad to visit with you about the things that are of interest to you. When it comes to your lawn. If you've got a lawn that is not that great, you know, some parts look okay, but then some parts are kind of spin ley. They just don't want to grow. You know, you've watered and you're fertilized, you're just not getting the response that you'd like to get. It could be that your shol is compacted clay soils, which are predominant in our area here, they compact really badly when you walk on them. When they get you know, the pity pattern of a little or big feet going across them. But year around Houston dot Com knows how to fix that. When it comes to core aeration and compost stop dressing, they are specialists. Go to the website year Round Houston dot Com, contact them, have them come out and do a core aeration and a compost stop dressing and it will transform your lawn, especially areas that are compacted. I'm going to take a break and be right back. All right, we're back. Welcome back to guarden Line. Good to have you with us. Oh gosh, what do you want to talk about today? I've got a few things in mind we can do that. It is important that you take advantage of the season we're in right now to get ready for summer. And that means getting your plants in the ground as soon as you can. The sooner you get a plan in the longer, it has to get roots established before we go into those extended, very hot periods of time, and that's very important now You can plant a plant any month of the year, you know, you really can. But when you're looking at the blazing hot you know, late July, early August kind of time of the year, it's a challenge because you're trying to keep them adequately moist in the root system, and they're pumping water fast without overwatering them and making it soggy, which is bad for the plant. So it's more of a challenge. Then it's easier the sooner you get it done, and now be a good time to get out and go visit some of our great garden centers. A lot of them have some really good deals going on right now. I mean, it's really amazing some of the opportunities, you know, to pick up some plants and change your change your landscape, turn it into something like you want. If you've never tried container growing, I would really encourage you to do that. Container growing. I just love it when you grow in containers. It's versatile, you know. Let me just give you one example. Geraniums. Like geraniums and the spring, stick them out in full sun. They do fine, they're happy, they're beautiful. When it starts getting hot, I moved mine to a spot where they get good morning sun but then some afternoon shade, a break from the day, and they do a lot better in that situation. So this would be a good time. Remember this is tax free weekend on lawn and garden products that are going to save on watering. But that includes a lot of things. So it includes plants and trees, you know, grasses, tropical kinds of plants. It includes soil and molten composts because soil prep saves unwatering. It includes there's a lot of other things that are related to watering, for example, So get out there and do that. A good place would be Nelson Water Garden and Nursery out there in Katy. You got to Katie turned north on Katie Fort Ben Road and you're just a little bit up the street there is Nelson Nursery and water Gardens. They of course have beautiful water garden features. Oh my gosh, those are gorgeous. But they've got some wonderful plants, lots of wonderful plants. And right now they're having some sales on nursery stock that's twelve ninety nine and up, so take advantage of it. You're getting not only the tax free this weekend. So that's the different scene this weekend and shopping next weekend is you're getting a little extra savings on a lot of things right now. So there you go. Twenty percent off plants that are twelve ninety nine and up. That doesn't include their aquatic plants, but it does all the others. Katie Fort ben Road, Nelson water Gardens Com, Nelsonwatergardens dot com. You should go check those out. I was I think I told you that yesterday. I was working on doing some pruning on a Vitex and I'm trying to Vitex is the most uncooperative plant with pruning that I think I've ever seen. But I'm doing some things on it. I'm trying something out and if it ends up working, i'll tell you, but more about it later. But I want to I want to know that it works first. But I needed a product that does, uh you know, regulates growth. It's a natural plant hormone type product and and uh you know you I was thinking, well where do you get it? I thought, well, that's gonna be everywhere, and I went some places are real close to me and couldn't couldn't find it. And so what do you do well you anytime I'm in a situation like that, if you call Southwest Fertilizer, well, they're going to have it. I mean, if it's a product that is, you know, just not snake all. I mean, it works, it's a good product, they're going to carry it. They If they don't have it, you don't need it. It's kind of what it mounts to because that store is full of all of the things that are very hard to find, including the things that are easy to find everywhere. So if you're looking for a fertilizer, you're not going to find a huge or a huger a bigger selection than Southwest Fertilizer. If you're looking to control pests or diseases, or weeds or prevent weeds, they've got everything there. If you're looking for tools, they have a ninety foot wall of quality tools. If you want to build my weed wiper, they got the grabber tool to build it with. If you need the kneeling bench I talk about all the time, the kneeling seat that they've got those there. It doesn't matter what it is. If you're trying to have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape, Southwest Fertilizer has got what you need, including experts. They can look at samples and pictures you bring in, identify the situation and point you in the right direction. Friendly service, quality products, great selection. Southwest Fertilizer corner of Bissonet in Renwick, off West Houston. All right, let's head up to Tomball now and we're going to visit with David this morning. Hello David, and welcome to garden Line. Oh, good morning. I'm I'm a regular for you.
Speaker 11: But anyway, Hey, I got some blackberries growing along my back fence and the only thing I know about blackberries is just pick them and eat them. And I've got I've got there's there.
Speaker 1: And they're producing.
Speaker 11: But I've got quite a bit of the bush that it looks healthy and it's growing good, but it's not producing. It's not producing berries.
Speaker 3: Do you know what variety it is? Off hand? Uh? No, I don't.
Speaker 11: As a matter of fact, I inherited the house from my mom and dad and they were they were already there.
Speaker 3: But I mean it's gonna it's.
Speaker 11: Real tall parts of it, and it's got plenty of it looks healthy, but there's no berry all over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is blooming.
Speaker 11: I don't see parts of the bush is blooming. And I get plenty of berries on it, but I've got all this these other parts of it that don't.
Speaker 3: They just it just it just doesn't.
Speaker 11: It's big and it's it's probably about four feet tall, and but it's quite a bit of the bush that doesn't produce berries.
Speaker 3: M that's very strange. I don't know. There are some there are some conditions slash diseases that can affect blackberries that some of the older varieties had more susceptibility to than some of the newer ones do.
Speaker 6: H.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to tell you. You know, blackberries are coming up from shoots out of the ground. We call those canes. And you might notice, is it like one cane is producing flowers and food and the other canes are not also. But but go ahead, David and really watch and see if you notice that, Yeah, they're blooming, but they don't set the berries after they bloom, or do they not bloom at all? The one the parts that are not blooming, you know, is what I'm saying. Parts that are not blooming are not blooming.
Speaker 11: It just it's like a it's like a bush that just came up and there's.
Speaker 3: No no, there's no blooms on it. That is so strange. I don't know.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Here, here's what here's how blackberries grow. The first year, a shoot comes up out of the ground and we call it a prima cane. That year, primo is in prime number one. First year, it goes through winter and in the process of going in late fall, late summer and fall, it's setting buds along the branches of that of that shoot. And then after they go through winter, they bloom and they fruit, and then that shoot declines and you just after it's fruited, you just cut it out at the ground. And the new shoots that are coming up that are the next year's primatecains. They're the ones that will bear fruit the following year. So if you've got a shoot that's not blooming by now, then that I don't know what happened, but it didn't set fruit last year for whatever reason. But it's that cycle that you got to look at. So I would just you know, you can tell the new shoots the primacains. They're very fleshy. You can grab the ends with your finger and pinch the tips out of them because they're so soft. The thorns aren't hard on the end there yet, and I would I would look at check.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I haven't checked that, so.
Speaker 1: I might that my own case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last year's primacans that should have been fruiting for you. This year, they're going to be harder and kind of shrunken down just a little bit. They're not thick and fleshy like they come out of the ground. But those that are coming out of the ground, thinking bless you, when they get up to about chest high, I would pinch them off or snip the tip out of them so that they branch more and each of those branches then can carry more blooms and fruit and let's see if you can get it back in shape that way. If you want to send me a picture of some things, and you know, hold something in your hand, take a picture of it and say is this what is this? Right here? I can guide you a little bit more on it. But uh, that's what I would suggest is just watch that cycle, make sure and tip the primate canes as they come up, get some side branches on them, and the only other thing you need is lots of sunlight, you know, over the years. As a tree gets thicker and thicker and you have less light coming down on a BlackBerry, that your production is going to go down from that too. So I don't know if I am going to go snip them off, go the parts that are not growing.
Speaker 7: They're probably they're probably over six.
Speaker 3: Feet tall, okay, growing up that right? Man? Well, just just know that after two years that cane is taken out at the ground. You print them off at the ground because they're done with. They don't that those shoots don't live for four years producing each year, So that may be part of that. May be part of what you're seeing too. You may have some older canes still in there. I don't know, but that's my best shot.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm sure I have because I've never I don't pull them.
Speaker 13: I've never.
Speaker 11: I've never cut them off or taken them out of the ground or cut them back anything.
Speaker 3: All right, I do go out there and tell them I got to run every year. All righty, I got a run for a call here, But thanks for the call. Call back, send pictures. I'll be happy to help you further. As we go along through this, I'll be right back, folks. There we go, all right, rolling on the river. Hey, welcome back to the guard Line. Good to have you with us. We got plenty of things to talk about regarding gardening right now. If you would like to ask a question seven one three two one two kt r H give me a call, glad to do that. Bucknnon's Native Plants in the Heights is a place. Well, first of all, let me just I just want to ask you to do this. Will you please write down this website bu canons Plants dot com. You Cannons plants dot com. If you never go there, you at least need to be following the website because there is so much good information. And I'm tell you this. You start following the website, you start seeing the deos find out about their gardener's Redemption point program or where you can get a as you spend money, you save money, that you will start going there. When you start seeing pictures of these features of native plants that they have, Oh my gosh, you're going to start going there. Like the other day they featured inland Seots and it's a great groundcover that's it looks like little tiny oat plants sort of they grow in the shade and they fill in a nice shady area, very well, very pretty, make nice right arrangements too, by the way, but you may say I've got perfect spot for that. That's what I'm talking about. But the newsletter is incredibly helpful, incredibly useful. Follow them on social media as well. They give you two do lists, they give you educational videos and it, trust me, you will love it. It is very very informative. Now head to the Buchanans Nati Plants. Check out the new checkout building that they have. It doesn't matter if it's raining or if it's blazing hot sunshine outside. You can stand in the shade, you can stay out of the rain and the checkout it is really really nice. And they went through a lot last year, losing their checkout area twice in storms. That's not going to happen again now with the way they've got it set up. The houseplank greenhouse is looking as good as it ever does. I've never seen so many different kinds of beautiful indoor plants indoor and they can also be grown outdoor too, by the way, But when it comes to natives, nobody can match in the whole region Buchanans native plants. It's just an outstanding place, and I love shopping there. Buchanans Plants dot com. That's the website, buchanans Plants dot com. They'll fix you up on plants that want to grow here. They'll advise you so you can have success. That is so important with a great independent garden center like Buchenna's Native Plants is the quality of plants, the appropriate selection, the fact that they've got all the things you need to set the foundation in the soil with when you go home with your plants, go home with the products, and then the advice after the sale to help you continue to have success. All right, there, it is, that's important. Let's see, we're going to head to Missouri now and talk to Frank Clark. Frank, are you in Missouri? Are you in Texas Missouri? Or Missouri Missouri?
Speaker 2: We had to add in Missouri to Texas.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 7: We actually.
Speaker 2: They actually left to Cater Illinois. It's more to get one. My wife was given a beautiful plant and a pot and she planted it in the uh extra the fence, and now it is consuming my funt in the backyard. I want to know how to get rid of it. It's called passioned mine. Uh huh, and it's beautiful, the flowers beautiful, you probably know.
Speaker 8: But it is.
Speaker 3: Yes, I can't stop it.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to get rid of it. Killing every day.
Speaker 3: Some types of plants. Uh, some types of ocean wine are really bad about that and others not so much. Uh So if you're if you're wanting to get rid of it, you know, digging it is is quite a chore because you never know where it's going to pop up. And and so you're following this underground rise on them out there trying to figure out where it's gonna pop up. What I would do?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Have you heard me talk about my weed wiper before on the air? We need yes, sir? Okay, if you if you go to my website, uh, it's gardening with Skip. That's me gardening with Skip dot com. There is a publication that you can look at or download or print or whatever called Skip's Weed Wiper, and it tells you how to build one. They're really easy to build. To use a certain kind of a grabber tool like you would used to grab a jar up off a high shelf, and it has sponges attached, and then you put a product on that. There's also a publication on the website that is Herbicides for skips weed wiper. And so if you're going after a broad leaf kind of harder to control vining or weed like that, you use a product called triclope here. But that's written on the publications. You don't have to write that down while you're driving and remember it. But you put it on the sponges and everywhere the passion vine pops up, you just reach. You don't have to bend over, you just grab it with those sponges and it squeezes some of the product onto the sponge, I mean onto the leaves, and it'll translocate down and it'll kill it. You may have to do it once or twice because you're not going to get it all the first time, but it will get rid of it and you won't hurt the things around it because you're applying the product directly to the weeds of the passion, to the leaves of the passion.
Speaker 2: Bind That sounds promising. What's the website.
Speaker 3: Gardening with skip yeah? God, I'm money to skip and it's gardening with skip yeah? Or if you do skip Rick, last name's Richter skip Richter like the earthquake scale. Just do a search, you'll find it all. It's there. But the website's got a lot of good helpful stuff, So poke around on it a little bit and you'll see those kinds of things that you need.
Speaker 14: Man, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That gives me hope.
Speaker 3: All right, keep the vehicle between the ditches and get on home. I'm trying.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much, man.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, Frank you take care alrighty Hey. Nelson plant Food has got so many great products in their turf Star line. I could do a whole show just talking about nothing but the turf Star line that they have. But they have one that is called Slow and Easy, Slow and Easy Turf Star Slow and Easy by Nelson. It is a navy blue bag. You know that bright, pretty navy blue color. That's the color that it is. It is a twenty two two ten fertilizer. And you're thinking, well, that's too much nitrogen. No, because it applies it really slow, and it does it over a long long time. It's a super long lasting. You fertilize slow and Easy. Now you're not going to be fertilizing your long again until fall. Fertilization time, it covers it. Trust me on this one. And with twenty two percent nitrogen, you're not putting out much of it. You know, a little forty pound bag's gonna cover five thousand square feet. So it goes a long way, and it really works. It's designed with several different kinds of nitrogen in it. It has some sulfur in it to help balance the soul pH uh, and it just it works.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get nice even growth. You're gonna get a beautiful green grass. You're gonna get good root development because it's gradually releasing it over time. You're good to go. Nelson turf Star, slow and easy, Navy blue bag. Now's the time to get it down. Now's the time. Don't delay on that. Well, I believe I got some music coming up here, which means we're on the top of the first hour this morning. If you got some calls, let's get you on the board. Give Alejandro a call at seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two and two ktr H. You can bear first up when we come back after the break. Uh, I'm gonna be talking about some other things going on around the area that you need to know about. And then I've got a couple of little topics that I would like to visit about that I think are very timely. After spending thirty five years plus answering gardening questions, I kind of know what is gonna be the questions of the season pretty much. I'm going to head the few of those off here and come back from break. All right, gardener's welcome back. Glad to have you with us this morning. It's gonna be a good days starting off to be a nice, beautiful Sunday. As a matter of fact, in my yard and garden, i'd have to introduce myself if I went out there today, because it's been a while since I've had time to get out and really get some stuff done. We've done some traveling. I kind of went through a little bit of an illness and you know, just didn't feel like getting out and getting any work done. And it's waiting on me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He throws some rain in on a lawn. Next thing you know, it's you're trying to decide whether to mow it or bail it, because it tends to get ahead of us real fast. I'd said I'd want to give you a few tips and things when we come back, and I'm gonna give you a couple of them. In fact, I may I make a little take a little flip of these and go ahead and post it to social media. I think that would be a good idea. But first of all, what do you do when it rains and you can't mow your lawn and then it gets too tall? You know, I always say return the clippings because they're so valuable. They contain nutrients, their nature's on slow release, fertilizer and all of those things. Well, when you can't mow and then you get in there, if you mow, you're left with a hayfield, all these dry grass clippings laying drying up on top of the lawn. So what you got to do is you got to collect those. You collect them, but use them as mulch. Put them as about a one inch layer around beds. You can you can mix them into the soil. If you've got a garden and you're going to rot totail or something, don't be afraid to rototil a bunch of them in. They will decompose underground and they'll release all those nutrients. The microbes will love them. It's good for the soil, so you can do that. Another thing you could do, this would be Option B, would be to mow high and then come in and mow a second time a little bit lower, and you kind of do a double mowing. I know that means going over the yard twice, but you're able to return the clippings that way, chop them up a little bit better. A good mulching mower should do a good job of it if they're not too tall. Avoid mowing the grass when it's wet, though. It just gets clumping underneath the housing of the motor or of the mower and it doesn't turn out very well. So I always avoid mowing when it's wet until it dries out to do that. But clippings are valuable, so don't let them get away from your lawn. That is part of the cycle of nature. They did a study one time. This is a separate topic here, but they did a study one time at Texas A and m UP in Dallas, and they found the turf researchers up there found that if you take the clippings and you send them to a lab and say what's in these nutrient wise, what are the nutrients? Will you find out that there's a three one two or a four to one two ratio of nutrients and the clippings, Okay, now the middle number doesn't go away. Phosphorus sticks in the soil, and you don't lose much phosphorus at all from in nature as it rains and all the different things happen. Nitrogen is very volatile. It'll wash away in certain forms of nitrogen. It'll volatilize into the air as a gas in certain forms of nitrogen, and so you always need to add nitrogen. Potassium's kind of in between the two. It can leach away, and so you do need to add it, but it's not it doesn't stick around as much as phosphorus does. But so that's what's in the clippings. And then what they did is they looked at how many times do we mow the lawn, how much clippings did we capture from a thousand square foot a lawn, let's say, and what was the nutrient content of them? And so what you end up with is how many pounds of nutrients did the lawnmower put out with clippings? So at the end of the year. What they found is the lawnmower put out more fertilizer than the fertilizer spreader. Now, you don't get one hundred percent of those nutrients back, like you when you put clippings back on the lawn. You don't get one hundred percent of the nitrogen back, but you get some of it and some other parts of it. You get a lot of it back. But think about that. You know, if you fertilize your lawn two or three times a year, maybe just to throw a couple numbers out there, and then you were to look at your lawnmower. Your lawnmowers putting out more nutrients than your fertilizer spreader is So does that mean you don't fertilize if you return clippings, No, it doesn't. You still need to fertilize because of the volatility, and you don't get anywhere near one hundred percent return of the nutrients. But doesn't it make sense to not throw away clippings. The way I like to tell people is if you bag and put your clippings in the weekly trash pickup, you are renting fertilizer because you buy a bag one of these great fertilizers I talk about. You grow grass clippings with a good portion of those nutrients. You cut those clippings off that are full of nutrients. You put them in a bag and you pay somebody to haul it away. That's called renting fertilizer. Recycle it. Do what nature does. Nobody bags the forest, nobody bags the meadows. Nature recycles naturally, and you can too in your lawn. And don't worry about clippings and thatch that just caused by overfertilizing, which creates a lot of runner growth. Runners are very slow to break down. And when you just get runners crawling over runners crawling over runners because you're watering too much and you're fertilizing too much, then you get that in a Saint Augustine lawn I'm talking about here. Clippings decompose rapidly. It's like dropping a lettuce leaf on the ground. They just rode away. They're not resistant to decomposition hardly at all. So return your clippings, fertilize moderately, water it moderately, and you be in good shape. All right, let's go Paralleland. Now we're going to talk to Beta. I believe am I saying that right?
Speaker 15: Beta, you are skip.
Speaker 3: Welcome to garden line.
Speaker 13: I just have a quick question about my cucumber plants.
Speaker 16: They have like their small, medium to small size so far, it took forever to get little tendrils, and some of them still don't.
Speaker 13: Have them, and they just are covered in yellow blooms.
Speaker 7: Okay, should should I put those back?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, leave them, just leave them. There are some types of cucumbers that are very short inter noted, meaning as you go down the vine, there's a leaf in a bloom not very far down the vine, compared to what we would say a standard type of cucumber. May you may have one of those. You may have one of the more compact cultivars or varieties a cucumber that could be part of it. But no, don't worry about it. You'll you'll have male and female blooms. Look carefully so you can see the difference. Female blooms have a little baby cucumber at the bottom. Male blooms don't. Uh, and just get ready to make pickles. Sounds like you're about to be in the business.
Speaker 13: I'm ready, but it's just like slow process. And the plants looks super duper healthy.
Speaker 11: They're nice and green, and okay, I just want to make sure I didn't need to pick those back or just leave them be.
Speaker 3: No leaven bee leaving be let. It'll do what it wants to do and hopefully they'll start producing for you here pretty soon. Avoid overdoing it with nitrogen. Just a moderate amount for cucumbers and you should be good. Yeah, sounds like, just bring me half of the produce so I can make pickles too, That's all I ask.
Speaker 13: Okay, all right, thank you, bye.
Speaker 3: Bye bye bye. All right, I gotta take a little break here. When I come back, Gene and Chapel Hill, you're gonna be our first up. Hey, welcome back to the guard Line. Folks. Let's talk gardening. You call seven one three two one two kt rih Listen. It is still in decent weather conditions get a little warm, but we're getting rain periodically. But the time is coming we're not going to have rain and it is going to be hotter. That's just how summers go. And tree hugger sprinklers can rescue your trees from that kind of stress. Now, if you've got a brand new tree, you put a little tree hugger sprinkler around the base, barely turn it on and water that root ball. Makes it easy to put the water right where the water needs to go. As that tree grows, you turn up the sprinkler more I mean. And they come in three sizes seven inch, eleven inch, and fifteen inch. So you may have a tree that's ten years old, fifteen years old. You put that tree hugger around the base and crank it up during a stress time and you can supplement water that tree right where the water needs to go, within the branch spread of the tree. Primarily, that's where we target our saturation zone and it works. Rosarians love the product because you can put it around rosebush and do the same thing. Take care of those plants. You're going to find them all over the place, of course. Southwest Fertilizer has them. Ace Hardware and Fullshire, the Taska Seed of the k and m As, Katie Ash Hardware, Sinkle Ranch Are. You're going to find them at D and D feed up in Tomball Spring Creek feed Center, League City feed in League City both in channed forest and in channed gardens carry them. Nelson Water Gardener and Katie RCW where fourteen excuse me where Tomball Parkway comes into beouta Warren Southern Garden and Kingwood Garden Center. Out in Kingwood the arbor gate. I's got them up there as well. Easy to find them. They work. You need to have one hanging on the shelf in the garage. You are going to use it every year. I guarantee you that TreeHugger sprinkler. Let's go to Chapel Hill. Now we're going to talk to Gene. Hello, Jean, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Hi, good morning, Thank you for taking my call. I have two somewhat unrelated questions where we are and related to each other. We've planned some small peach trees about four or five weeks ago. I actually got some. I actually got some peaches from them. I was surprised. But should I be fertilizing and when should I be fertilizing those trees?
Speaker 3: Yes, you want to fertilize when how long ago did you plant them? Did you say.
Speaker 13: About a month ago, four or five weeks ago?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, so now usually I say about six weeks after planting, start fertilizing. Okay, so this is a pretty good time. I would, uh look at the diameter of the trunk, and it is probably it was less than an inch thick, right the trunk.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, one of them is close. I put three in and okay, yeah, approximately.
Speaker 3: So I would give them. I would give them a cup of lawn fertilizer. Or if you buy a tree fertilizer, that's fine, but in the absence of that, just use lawn fertilizer. Make sure it doesn't have wheat killer in it, and put a cup of it and sprinkle it in a big circle, evenly through out the circle. You know, don't pour it at the base, don't make a donut around the tree. Just just cover a circular area extending about a foot and a half from the trunk in all directions water in real good. Two months later I would do that again, and two months later this I would do that again. So that would be what are we now? We're in made? You know what, I'm going to shorten that up again. If we're going to do it now, let's do it again June, at the end of June, and then about mid August, and do the three applications of one one cup only at those times. Starting next year, we want to write this one down but look at the trunk diameter of the tree. And for every inch of trunk diameter, or you can say about a thumb with depending on your thumb, you give it one or two cups of fertilizer. So let's say that tree reaches the size where it's trunk is like a Coca Cola can. We're going to say that's about three inches across, so it would get three to six cups when you fertilize. And you can fertilize in spring and then in uh midsummer again.
Speaker 13: Okay, perfect, Okay, I will do it. Have you got time for a while? Quick question? Yes, unrelated. We had we had some dirt brought into level a little bit of our property, quite a bit of dirt, and they brought in hogwart, which bloomed prolifically in the last month or so, and it had seeds that we kind of picked them and cut them down, but a lot. Can we put pre emergent mount down and will that help with control of these things in the future.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure hogwart, I'm not sure the weed you're talking about there, huh.
Speaker 13: I looked it up. I took a picture of it and looked it up.
Speaker 1: And that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Oh I see it. Oh gosh, that was in your lawn.
Speaker 13: No, it's some still, you know, and it's real isolated. We had eighteen dump or clothes of fielder. It brought into level an area. Yeah, putting in. Yeah, and we're also going to be putting in. Okay, So can pre emergent go down now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, yes you could. I would probably use a product called barricade and put it down according to the label amount. I think what you're talking about is a type of crowton, but it may have been something else. But anyway, try that not any single pre emergent kills or prevents every possible weed seed that could come up. So they have their strengths and weaknesses. But this is kind of an unusual weed in terms of it's not typically a question I get here, and so maybe that if that didn't work, we would switch you to a different one. But you know, in general, barricade is going to cover a wide range of grass and broad leaf weeds to prevent the sage from germinating. So follow the label, don't overdo it, Okay, I.
Speaker 14: Will do it.
Speaker 13: Thank you so much for your health.
Speaker 3: Hi gene, you bet Thanks for the call. I appreciate that a lot. If you haven't been down to in Chenned Gardens folks down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, you need to go in Jenny Gardens is north on the Katie Fullsher side of Richmond Rosenberg on three point fifty nine. It is an incredible garden center when you go there. I mean every time I talk to someone who went there, they're going, I didn't know it was that big and expansive. They they you know, it's just because you walk up and it's like, oh my gosh, there's stuff everywhere. Beautiful ideas too. I mean, if you just go there for ideas, it's worth the trip. But I trust me on this, and when you get there, you're gonna have to go home with some really good plants. They have everything from beautiful ornamental pottery to you know, birdhouses and windshimes and every kind of thing you can think to enhance your landscape. The gift shops awesome. It is just it's cool. They got a really nice selection of desert roses in that are. If you haven't seen a desert rose, go go go to in Chenna Garden. Say I want to see your desert roses. They are unbelievable. It's not a rose bush, it's a succulent type plant. It's a wonderful, beautiful thing, wonderful color. Just I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 7: You need to go.
Speaker 3: Today'd be a good day to get out there this afternoon and see Chended Gardens at Richmond by the way, that's also the website Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Take some friends with you. It's a wonderful outing this afternoon for a nice Sunday afternoon. Go check it out. We're gonna now head over to Splendora and talk to Scott. Hey, Scott, welcome to garden Line here.
Speaker 9: Good morning.
Speaker 17: He question on a got a question on biochar. Okay, I'm putting in a full sized garden out in the r and I want to put the biochar in there. And I've read some articles about leading to pre charge you do, smash it up and make some nutrients stuff like that in Are you familiar with that?
Speaker 3: Well, I know what biochar is. I don't think you need to precharge it. You put the biochar out and when you apply nutrients they absorb into the biochar. It's got a lot. It's a very porous under a microscope substance that holds on to nutrients on the surfaces of the particles, and so that it is going it is going to hold on to nutrients that you put in your soil. Now, I guess if you wanted to put fertilizer and soak it into biochar. But I've never heard of anybody go into that trouble, and I can't see a reason why you would have to do it that way. I would just mix it in the soil, add the nutrients you want, and it's going to provide that extra boost for the soil. Areas where people use that, they get really good results.
Speaker 17: Okay, So just till it in and then fertilize the gardener that normally would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it comes in outr comes to different particle sizes, like a lot of things do.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so when you put it in the ground, uh, it the larger particles actually helped create some more uh poor space down there in the in the soil as well.
Speaker 17: All Right, made my own I've got about three fifty five gallon drums or so Uh, I.
Speaker 7: Need to button it up, I guess, and smaller beats.
Speaker 17: That's basically grabbed blumber.
Speaker 12: That.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can.
Speaker 3: You could, uh yeah, you could. You could break it up a little bit more if you want to. That's that's fine. Yeah, you know, especially if you're going to use it in a container, you want a little bit smaller particle size for that. So all right, well, good luck. Sounds like you're gonna do it yourself or out there, Scott.
Speaker 17: Yeah, all right, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thanks for the question. I appreciate that. That's first time anybody's ever asked me that. That is an interesting angle on a biochart question. Microlife fertilizers have been around for over thirty five years now here in the greater Houston area. Everybody knows about microlife. Everybody knows it works, it uses it because it does.
Speaker 15: It does.
Speaker 3: Right now, we're still doing lawn fertilizing through the summer. Microlife. You can put that out several times through the summer if you'd like, But you put it down follow the label rate and microbes get a hold of it and they break those nutrients in it apart or get them loose into a form that plants can take up. That's what microbes do to all organic matter in the soil, and Microlife is just another example of a product that microbes go to work on. Microlife also contains billions and billions of different kinds of beneficial microbes along with a yukka, which is a natural wedding agent from the yucca plant, and it works well. You can use it for your lawns. I use it for a lot of things, not just lawns. But the green bag, the six' two four is the standard one we think of when we think Of microlife lawn. Fertilizers Now Microlife humates. Plus that's like concentrated compost in a. Bag that's the purple, bag and you can do it at the same time you do the green. Bag just, remember whenever you're using two different products on your, lawn you apply them. Separately don't mix them together because the particle size is not the same and therefore they don't spread evenly if you mix. Them, instead put out your, fertilizer then put out your your humates, plus and you can do humans plus as many times the years you want. To each time you do, it you're just adding more of that quality humus which is what nature makes into the soil to enhance the root system and improve the condition of the soil. Itself let's head out now to a tescassita and we're going to talk To. Jim good, Morning, Jim welcome to Garden.
Speaker 1: Line thank, you. Sir, okay your front, yards good, sun full. Sun your plants need to be kept, moist the roots need to be.
Speaker 3: Wet.
Speaker 1: Okay now everybody's putting out. Compost where do you think about putting a shredded seedar on top of that? Compost and does that keep the moisture in the? Compost the two. Reasons, one the cedar is a lighter, color and number, two doesn't it shield and protect the.
Speaker 3: Compost any time that you put a mulch over the, surface it protects what's beneath it from soil compaction or from, crusting from, erosion from temperature, extremes and so those are all good. Things and so the cedar as a surface mult is fine if you want to use it for. That it will keep the soil a little, cooler so roots that are near the surface aren't going to get too hot or dry, out and so that's very. Helpful and then when you do get rains and. Things it helps prevent that crusting and erosion and. Stuff so it's. Fine any kind of a multi on the surface is going to have those same kind of characteristics if it's an organic meaning natural, product you, know, mate not rubber chips or something like.
Speaker 1: That, oka, Quick but but does it help to put the shredded cedar on top of that dot compost on top of the?
Speaker 3: Compost, well yes it does because it shades out the. Compost weed seeds that land in that compost are going to sprout and. Grow if you've got a chunky SHREDDED i say, chunky but in this case of, ceedar it's shredded junkie kind of material on. Top it shades that out and helps in that. Way if you want to go to the trouble of that second, step.
Speaker 7: Can you get better?
Speaker 1: Results you? Get do you do get better results if you do it though correct the second?
Speaker 3: Step you? Would you, Would but you would get the same results if you use shredded hardwood mulch or some other you know kind of a chunky or, larger larger particle size. Mulch so any of the above would.
Speaker 1: Work, okay thank you?
Speaker 3: Sir All, Right, Jim thanks a, lot appreciate your. Call, shure gotta gotta run to a, break. Folks i'll be right. Back welcome, Back Little Travis tripp hopping things along on A sunday. Morning Jungle land is a product that has two. Forms one of them is for. Outdoors it's called flour and vegetable planting soil jungle land distributed by. Nitrophiles and then the second form is the. Indoor it's called jungle end water savor putting. Soil what does that? Mean water, Savor it means it has crystals in it that absorb water and hold onto that. Water so even as the mix is drying, out the crystals in the mix are still holding onto. Water so your houseplants get by if you forget the water them a little, bit it kind of helps them along that. Way if both of them work, well they're. EXCELLENT a good quality mix like Jungle land is going to hold water, adequately but it's also going to drain away the excessive, moisture so you don't have this, mucky, swampy soggy mess in the. Pot it drains well and it's a good quality particle. Size it's got different sources of aged organic, matter decomposed organic. Matter it's got microies of fungi in. It it's a good. Product you're going to find jungle land in a lot of places where you buy nitrofost. Products you. Know Night fross can be found At Bearing's hardware On bissinet as well as The Bearings hardware On West, teimer The Plantation Ace hardware ON fm three point fifty nine nine In Richmond. Rosenberg they carry Jungle they carry the nitro frost products as. Well down there you are listening To. Guardline the phone number if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two to one two kt R. H let's go now To Deer park and we are going to visit With jay this. Morning, Well, jay welcome To. Guardline good.
Speaker 6: Morning thank you very.
Speaker 7: Much.
Speaker 6: Skip i've got a rose on our back patio that's in a container that we've tried a couple of them and it just doesn't never seem to do very. WELL i sent over a couple of. Pictures we thought it was some type of longus but it looks like there's some bugs on there, too and just wanted to get some direction from.
Speaker 3: You, yeah WHAT i see is damage from spider. Mites first of, all those are those leaves that look speckled where you've got the little tiny white spots all in the. Green so WHAT i would do it just a little simple rose like. THAT i would just get me a garden hose with one of those blaster sprayers on the end spray, guns and you, know squirt upward from under the, plant and just blast those leaves really, good and do that about once a week for about three. Weeks you'll get the spider mics under control probably that, way without having to go by and mix up a pray just to treat a little small container rose like. That so just blast the. Underside Sometimes i'll set my hand on top of the leaf because a blast of water makes the, leaf you, know move out of the way of the. Water it just kind of knocks it to the. Side so that way you can kind of have something behind the, leaf so you can really blast those surfaces and knock the spider mites. LOOSE i don't see signs of black. SPOT i don't see signs of powdery mildew on. THEM i can't make out what those critters are on the yellow. Rows some of them look like. Ants you know WHAT i can't too As i'm zooming. In that's ants and. Aphids ants actually drink the sugar water that aphids, produce and so the best way to think about ants and aphids is aphids are dairy cows and ants are dairy. Farmers they will literally pick an aphod, up take it up on a, plant set it down, there and raise their little herds of. Aphids they use their antenna to stroke the aphids by and it puts out a little drop of sugar water in, response and they drink. It it's just like dairy. Kettle so that's not a good. Thing the ants aren't hurting your, plants but the aphids are sucking juices and things. Out you might want to get something called insecticidal, soap and you could also use this on the spider mites, Too but insecticidal soap mixed in water and sprayed on the aphids will kill. Them it desiccates their bodies and they. Die follow the label, carefully do it early in the, morning for the sun is baking down on the plant and on the spider. Mites you just have to spray the insecticidal soap on the undersides of the foliage where the spider mites are. Hiding so if you wanted to use the soap for both, problems you could do. That thank.
Speaker 6: You you mentioned follow the, instructions but just in, general how often a frequent is that application of the.
Speaker 3: Soap it's kind of an as needed soap is not a. Poison you, know you're giving the little waxy cuticle of the insect a bath in soap and it's dissolving away some of that protective coating and they die from. Desiccation so you only kill the aphids that you give a bath and. Soap so that's why coverage is. Critical, now if you were to do it all perfectly in the first, spray you probably wouldn't have to do it. AGAIN i would USUALLY i find that if you come back about a week later on, soap two applications of soap should be enough because we're not trying to eradicate every possible insect on the planet, Here we're just trying to get the outbreak numbers down very very. Low makes. SENSE i appreciate, It, yes, sir thank you for the. Call appreciate that you got a question you'd like to ask me on guarden line well seven one three two one two, ktright that's the one that'll do.
Speaker 6: It, uh.
Speaker 3: Listen if you want to see new life to your outdoor metal, furniture you need to know about The Houston Powder coaders is in the north side Of houston Near beltway eight And Hardy Tow road back up in that. Area they do. Metal they take metal like cast, iron wrought, iron, aluminum patio furniture metal and they coat, it which is way better than painting with one OF i think that. WELL i know they have over one hundred colors that they keep in stock that you can choose. From and so maybe you've got some of, those you, know the metal that like the little waffle mesh top chairs and. Tables maybe you've got that old time chairs that had the tubular metal legs that you, know you kind of bounce on them a little. Bit they come in all the pretty primary. Colors maybe you've got something that's rusty that needs a little work on the. Rust it needs to have the you, know the bolts and the nuts and washers replaced because they're all rusting. Up Powder coaters can do. That they take it in the condition it's. In they'll take a look at it and they'll if they need a little to do a little tack weld here or, there they can do. That when they get through coding, it it is like brand. New it is. Unbelievable and this isn't just, FURNITURE i mean anything metal. Outside, uh they can do. It they know what they're. Doing they've been doing this a long time since twenty. Seventeen they lots of. Expertise they're huge. BENDS i mean they could do a whole trailer in a. Bend that bins are so. Big but they'll turn it brand. New and if you are thinking about it but you're not, sure take a picture of, furniture email it to sales At houstoncoders dot. Com sales at houstoncoders dot. Com they'll give you a quick quote if you decide to go with. It if you're in The houston, area they'll come pick it. Up they'll do the, job they'll bring it. Back THAT'S i, mean what more could you ask for than? That check out their, website follow them on social. Media here's the, Website Houston powdercoders dot com phone number two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty. Eight the REASON i say follow them on social media is you need to see picture the kind of work they. Do every time you see a, picture it's, like, oh they do that. Too now WHEN i go into. RESTAURANTS i was in a restaurant the other, day excuse me and You, arizona AND i was looking around at all the metal furniture. Outdoors we're sitting, outside and it's, like this is all powder coating stuff. Here EVERYTHING i was looking at was what you would do with powder, coating and you'll see it. Everywhere it is really a cool process that, works and nobody does it better Than Houston Powder Coads Houston powdercoaters Dot com two eight, one six, seven six thirty eight eighty. EIGHT i was done At Ace hardware store yesterday and visiting with some folks picking up a, pit for, example a barbecue pit THAT i have that we're going to be doing some grilling.
Speaker 16: On and you Know.
Speaker 3: Ace WHEN i think of barbecue, GIRLS i think Of Ace, hardware and it's because they carry the big, brands and, boy right, now some of the brands have got incredible sales On that's WHY i jumped on. It as they, say lock a duck on a. Jumbug, okay there's an old guy, Saying but, ANYWAY i got a pellic pellet grow From. Rectech they've also got The Pellet girls From, trager one of the original pellet grow. Pits they've got The Big Green, egg which IS i, mean that's Like Big Green egg has a cult. Following i'm pretty sure they. Do that is a very popular. One and they have things From weber and other brands as. Well Ace hardware from a moral day. Weekend you got to enjoy the. Outdoors how about? This you want to hang up the string of, lights those ambion, slights the beer garden, LIGHTS i call, them the backyard across the. Patio you want to do some other things out there to, decorate to make it, Nicer maybe put a fan out to cool things off a little. Bit go To Ace. Hardware this is the. Weekend while you're in, there grab your lawn fertilizer products to control pass weeds and. Diseases Ace, hardware here's the website for MY Ace hardware stores in our garden line. Group Ace hardwaretexas dot. Com Ace Hardware texas dot. Com they'll get you off to a good. Start and trust, me when you walk into AN Ace hardware, stort you're going to see a lot of things that you didn't even know they. Do it's a great. Place Acehardware texas Dot. Com all, Right i'll be right. Back all, right, folks welcome back on a Lovely sunday. Morning good to have you with us on Garden. Line i'd like to give me a. Call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two. Ktrh, hey it's time for your summer slow release fertilizer. Applications let's get that. Done if you haven't done it, yet now's the time to do. It Night fass superturf the silver Bag Nitrovas superturf nineteen four to. Ten it's perfect for our southern turf Grasses Saint, Augustine, bermuda And. Zuezia it's perfect for our soils and our climate down here in this. Area it's designed to not just let all that nitrogen go at, once but over sixteen weeks to gradually release it to feed your. Lawn the best way keep your mounding frequency down a little bit instead of just releasing all the nitrogen at once and having a Momomo to make a good deep resilient root system by releasing the nitrogen, slowly not too. Fast it's all there in the super. Turf all you gotta do is go get SOME m AND d In Rosenberg On. AVENUE i is a place that you can find. It you can go To Langham Creek ace ON fm five twenty, nine or maybe go To Aspa's ace up in The woodlands and find nitropost products there as. Well let's set out now To tumball and we're going to talk To neil this. Morning Hello, neil welcome To. Dardenline.
Speaker 18: Hello first, OFF i like to give kudos to you and the service supervide and What guardline's been doing for. Years it's very. Helpful thank. YOU i did send an email on.
Speaker 1: A, trunk.
Speaker 18: A trunk of an elm tree that has sap. LEAKING i guess some type of. Insect can you help me?
Speaker 3: Out you, BET i looked at your emails and for those that are listening, here it is an area in the trunk that just looks. Wet it's just wet all through that, area and that is a that is a condition called slime flux or also sometimes called bacterial wet, wood and it happens in the summertime on trees from time to. Time it could be a little, wound it could be a little crack in the. Bark and the sap in a tree is. Sugary it's got carbohydrates in, it and so whenever microbes get a hold of, carbohydrates they begin to proliferate and the it creates a kind of a wound that the tree is going to have to eventually close, over kind of wall off and close, over because in the meantime it is either going to have just this, wet slimy look to, it or may have a, white frothy look to. It sometimes when it's building up under the, bark it'll actually lift the bark up away from the wood and it's. Fermenting it's basically a little insect beer, garden a beer joint on the side of the, tree because you'll see butterflies and wasps and other things sometimes begin to gather there when it's fermenting like. That that's why the white froth can. Occur so if you see that, development you know already then what's going. On it's not something that you. Treat there's not some product you put on. It you couldn't get the product to the microbes in there anyway on, it but the tree and good health will wall it off and will then begin to close that area. Over so it's not a long term problem or a. Disease it's going to take over the whole. Tree an older tree will sometimes struggle with this for seasons and seasons because it just doesn't have the level of vigor of a young. Tree your tree is, young AND i suspecting good health based on WHAT i can see in the picture of the way it's growing in the, TRUNK i think that it will be fine and not something you need even worry. About but that's what's going.
Speaker 18: On, well, okay then that's the best ANSWER i could hope.
Speaker 1: For thank.
Speaker 3: You that's. It you bet you're good to. Go appreciate to call. Though thanks for calling. Here hopefully saves you some money on time and. Product, okay you take, Care, neil all, right bye? Bye. Yeap that is? It slime flux bacterial. Wet WOULD i want to post about those? Two that would be a good. One give me a picture of. THAT Rcw nurseries is the garden center there Where Tumbo parkway comes into BELT waa AND rcw is just an Outstanding Garden center because they carry so many different, things and they carry QUALITY. Rcw for, example when you're looking for trees and shrubs and woody ornamentals or boogain villias and rows all that kind of, stuff they have an excellent. Selection if you're looking for beautiful, hibiscus like The cajun, hibiscus that's one of my favorite series of, hibiscus they've got those. There they've got color plants and. THINGS. Rcw, also though this weekend has got a really good deal going on for The Memorial day. Weekend you might heard me talk about this, yesterday BUT i was pretty excited WHEN i. Saw first of, all this is tax free weekend for products and plants and things that are saving. Water so you can go by there and they'll tell you all about. That but they have ten percent off crate myrtles and, roses crate myrtle trees and, roses and twenty percent off of their meddle yard art and that includes like little overhead arbor adventure trellis or things like that or. Decorations ten percent off crate myrtles and, roses twenty percent off middle yard, art and It's Memorial day tax saver weekend for things that could serve. Water and that includes composts and plants and lots of other. Things and they can tell you all about that when you go by. Again it's where Bell way eight And highway two forty nine come, Together Tomia. Parkway easy to get TO Rc nursery, Today w'd be a great day to get by and do. That someone send me some pictures the other day of their lawn and the lawn just looked like if the grass was dying back and when you get up close to. It and this is WHY i always, say send me a picture of the whole, thing and then send me a picture up really close and sharp. Focus and thank goodness they. DID i need well focused. Photos fuzzy photos get you fuzzy. Answers you don't want a fuzzy. Answer but, anyway they sent a close up one and it had spots all over the grass. Blades that is gray leaf. Spot gray leaf spot loves these warm. Temperatures it really loves moisture if it rains pretty. Often if you irrigate too, often you increase gray leaf spot problems on Your Saint augustine lawn now in. Shade it's also bad if you're wondering what gray leaf spot it looks, like and you don't have. Any this is kind of tongue in. Cheek go throw a piece of plywood over your lawn in one, spot leave it there for about a week and pick it, up and you will see gray leaf spot because you've created, shade you've created that, humidity you've kept it moist underneath, there and you'll see the spots. Appearing so it's very related to environmental. Conditions what do you do for? It, well if it's, minor you don't need to do. Anything but if you can get ahead of it and it's gonna be a problem for, you just use eagle turf funderside from nitrofoss that Is Michael. Buttenil it's, systemic it moves in the, grass it gives longer term, protection and it's great for fungal diseases like gray leaf. Spot eagle turf like nitrofoss products in, general you're gonna find them at places Like Ace, Hardware Sinkle ranch On Mason, road hiding and feed On Stubner. Airline you'll find them at plants for all. Seasons there just north Of luetta On highway to forty nine works really, Well eagle turf funge. Side, alrighty looks like we're about to get some music going. Here that Means i'm at the top of the. Hour we'll be back next hour with your calls if you'd like to. Be we've got to open boards right. Now we've finished all the callers up. There if you'd like to be on the first, up then it's first, come first serve on Garden. Line alejandro will get you on the boards and you'll be ready to go when we come up out of this. Break seven to one three two one two kt R h seven to one three two one two kt. Rh don't forget we have the Garden Line facebook. Page follow us On, facebook put and stuff up there all the, time lots of different information on local garden centers and some things going on in the. Lawn you can also Find gardening With skip On instagram where we post some things there as. Well all, right, folks we're. Back Good sunday, morning on a Lovely sunday. Morning looking forward to getting a little outside time myself this. Afternoon be a good day for doing. That, hey be a good day to go Visit Moss. Nursery if you haven't been out To. Moss, WOW i don't know how you've missed, it but you gotta. GO i don't care where you. Live moss is down In. Seabrook it's In, Seabrook. Texas, Okay so you can go on, There grab you some grab you some lunch over a chema boardwalk or something like. That just kind of make a day out of. It Ma's. Nursery WHEN i say make a day of, IT i mean. IT i mean it's eight acres to wander, through and every time you turn a corner you see something else. Cool jim IS i don't. Know he ought to just build a train track in front of the place so the train cars can come. In because that's about how many truckloads he keeps getting out of plants all the. Time every TIME i turn, around it's, like, oh here's a whole. Truckload theer's, azelias and there's hanging, baskets there's boog and billias and just beautiful. Stuff his house plant greenhouse alone is worth the trip down to the. Nursery and then if you love, containers oh, my you're not going to find a more diverse collection of containers. Anywhere than What jim has down there At Moss, beautiful beautiful plants and whatever you're interested. In someone the other day was asking me about, bonesye you, know getting involved in. Bonesie, Well jim had this. Spring at one point he'd brought in several hundred different bones eye, plants both mature plants and starter. Plants probably fifty to one hundred different kinds of bonzai from baby, plants even fifty year old. Ones that's just an. Example when you're, there check out the quirky t. Shirts gym. Designs he's got one called the eyeball plant and it's, yeah it's kind of what you pictured WHEN i sent. That it's just Something jim. Designs he's hees a creative guy and he's always coming up with. Something this is a seventy year, old family operated eight acre garden. Center this isn't just another. Garden so this is an usual place where you're going to find everything you're looking, for and even if it's something, standard like you, KNOW i needed to make a, plan you, KNOW i wanted To zella. Bush of course they got all. That they got so much. More and when it comes to bling for decorating your, landscape, oh, boy have, fun take some friends with, you make a day out of, it and enjoy it because it is a fun place to. Visit Maas nursery dot. Com Maas nursery dot com two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty. EIGHT i love going. There it is, cool been around a long. TIME i was visiting with somebody the other day who was looking for inspiration for their. Landscapes youre just talking, about, well what CAN i do, here what CAN i do? There what would work? Here and earlier today on the SHOW i mentioned get out in the car and drive, around look and see see what you. Like you, know as you're out and about or as your going, PLACES i always try to avoid taking the standard Rout. Somewhere i'll cut through a neighborhood just to see what kinds of, things and you'd be. SURPRISED i was going through one the other day and they had a really nice outdoor swing under a. Tree it was a very unique kind of, swing and when you drove, up it just made the landscape look so, inviting AND i Just i'd never thought about, that you, know putting a swing even in the front yard where you could sit out, There, well that may not be the thing for, you but it's an example of What i'm talking. About another good way to get inspirations is to go To piercescape's Website piercescapes dot com p E a R C s C a p e s dot. Com Pierce caapes does pretty much everything you would need done in a. Landscape so it could be LIKE i got a brand new, HOUSE i need to design it from the top to, bottom the whole. LANDSCAPE i want it all done, Turnkey or it could BE i just want to redo the front of my. House it just you drive by and you don't even notice the house because it's just not very remarkable the landscape out. There pierce can do all. That maybe you've thought about landscape. Lighting maybe you're dry around AS i was talking, about and you see a light of a house that's lit really beautifully at. Night it's very attractive and you can see that it's safer because nobody's going to hide in the bushes with the lights that they got set up around the. House there, pathways you're not going to step on a snake because they're well lit. Pathways pierscapes has examples of all that they can fix your. Irrigation they can make sure the drainage is. Right you, know you get too much, water plant roots, drowned they can't get. Oxygen it's a. Problem pierscapes can fix. That they up in The tomba. Area they serve forty five minutes away from that Whole tumbole, area so they cover a huge portion of the Greater houston area with the work that they. Do if you want a beautiful patio for, barbecuing, maybe if you want some stone, walkways if you want to create a tiered, landscape you, know we have several Levels pierscapes can do at. All go to the Website piercescapes dot com pierce scapes dot com and peruse around and look at the work they, do or just give them a. Call two eight one three seven fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty. Sixty they do awesome, work awesome, work and you, know there's a lot we can do to make our places more attractive and more. Enjoyable everybody has their own. Tastes not one size doesn't fit. All sometimes people will call me and they'll, say, well what it would be a good plant to put in my flower? Bed And my response is usually something, like, well that's not giving me your credit card and saying go to the mall and buy me some. CLOTHES i don't know what you. LIKE i don't know what you, wear what kind of, colors what kind of. Styles that's how it is the. Plants when you're checking out, ideas you figure out what you. Like and you could even take pictures like that into a place like the pair scapes. Designers you, know you can, say, WELL i re like these. PLANTS i want something that looks like, this OR i like. This it's more of a native. Look that's What i'm looking. For that's What i'm talking. About it's your. Place have, fun turn it into something, special and increase the value of your, property by the, way dramatically when you do good. Landscaping so our barn swallows have babies in the nest right. Now they're out the front. Door they come there every year and we just leave. Them they build their little mud nest up underneath the eaves. There BUT i can look out the kitchen window and see them the way the houses, arrange and see little babies look like, that little smiling lips on their, beaks sitting up on the edges of the nest as they. GROW i love. That but you, know when it comes to, BIRDS i JUST i have gotten more into birds THAN i THOUGHT i ever would. BE i just never was a bird. Person now my favorite thing in the morning is hearing the song of. Birds first thing in the. Morning we've got a cacophony of them around here and it's. Cool and it started WHEN i went To Wildbirds. Unlimited Wildbirds unlimited is the place where you learn everything you need to know about. Birds they're great at answering your. Questions right, now the feed to be putting out Is nesting Super. Blend it's only available at Wild Birds. Unlimited you can go to the one On Kingwood drive In, kingwood on An El dorado in Clear, lake On broadway In, pearland if you're In houston on Bel air or On Memorial. Drive if you're In cypress On Barker. Cypress Wild Birds. Unlimited you need to check them. Out time for me to go to a quick. Break. Hi the Movie that thing you do impressed. ME i was already impressed with everything That Tom hanks has put, out but the fact that he even wrote music for, THAT i was, like, man the guy is. Talented he's really. Talented, well welcome back To. Guardline good to have you with. Us you, know my mantra here On guardline seems to be the main one seems to be brown stuff before green, stuff which is just to, say prepare the soul. First so many, people you, know in, spring everybody's a, gardener even people that aren't gardeners or. Gardeners in, spring it seems like you go to a, place you buy a, plant you come home with, it you don't know where to put. It you PLoP it down into an unprepared, plot and the poor plant, struggles it doesn't do. Well and we don't want you to feel bad because you feel like you can't grow. Things you can grow. Things the number one key to success is to start by preparing the soil, first And Siena mulch is a place to get that. Done they're Southe houston Near highway six and two eighty. Eight it's ON fm five twenty, one just right down the website that's going to have everything you need to Know Sienna mulch dot. Com they're closed On, sunday but they're Open monday Through, friday seven thirty to five On, saturday seven thirty to. Two and it is a one stop shop because there you're going to find the compost organic matter products that are needed to improve soil to make quality foundation for. Plants you're going to find mulches of all. Types, there you're going to find the nutrient additions that get the soul bank account where it needs to be for plant success From microlife And nelson's and medina and nitrofoss and asamite products from heirloom soils as. Well they deliver within about twenty miles for a small. Fee of, course they also carry things like sand and gravel and stone on. Pallets cienamulch is the one stop. Shop when you leave there and you do what you do with their products to get that spot, right that plant is going to hit the ground. Running it's as simple as. That we're going to go now To magnolia and talk To mike this. Morning Hello, mike and welcome To Garden.
Speaker 7: Line, hey skip love the.
Speaker 1: SHOW i sent a picture in.
Speaker 16: YESTERDAY i don't know if you've Got mike willis you got the brown spot in my yard and that was.
Speaker 3: Wondering i'm, sorry.
Speaker 13: Bug or.
Speaker 3: FUNGUS i don't, KNOW i think they. COULD i don't.
Speaker 16: KNOW i looked in the ground And doug kind of underneath the brown, spots AND i don't see any. BUGS i don't know IF i didn't dig deep enough or what's the best way to find?
Speaker 14: Out is this The.
Speaker 3: This isn't the hybrid bluegrass? Question was?
Speaker 13: It?
Speaker 3: No it's, Saying, Augustine i'm not seeing Your i'm not seeing your email. Here hm. Hmm go ahead and describe to me what what you were what you were.
Speaker 12: Seeing it's a it's a it's a brown brown patch in the in the like seeing just the middle of the, yard and it just seems to keep.
Speaker 16: Growing it started out fairly small and then in a couple of weeks it's gotten.
Speaker 3: Bigger uh, okay.
Speaker 16: It's it's it's kind of irregular in, shape so it's not like round, spots spots or anything like.
Speaker 3: That about how about how far is it across right?
Speaker 7: Now that's probably about ten feet.
Speaker 3: Ten feet long and about three feet. Wide when you're describing, it it sounds to me like a take a root rot, infection being irregular and kind of a declining. Grass. There can you think of anything that was done in that spot other than just normal long cair and things other than. THAT i fixed the there's a.
Speaker 14: The septic. Relief the septic field sprinkler is basically fixed that sprinkler head a couple of weeks, ago several weeks, ago and that's the only. Thing it started water in that.
Speaker 19: Area, okay well, regular, YEAH i my my best guess is going to be a take a root.
Speaker 3: ROIGHT i hate to send you out to buy and use a chemical without knowing for sure what it. Is CAN i get you to try to resend those? Pictures and IF i get, THEM i will talk about it on the air. TODAY i don't know, why BUT i DON'T i don't see them here in the in the. Email So i'm going to put you on hold and make Sure i'm pretty sure we'll pick it up and make sure you have the right email for. Me uh and UH.
Speaker 12: I, WAS i replied to the email that they sent.
Speaker 3: Me so, oh, okay well just not? Okay? Yeah is your last name begin with the LETTER? R? NO w, okay all, Right i'm, sorry let me let me get a Recent i'm gonna put you on. Hold i'm just kind of stuck high center, here so let ME i do want to help with us and we will get to the bottom of. It so just hang. On we're gonna go now To beaumont and talk To. Gary Hello, gary and welcome to Garden.
Speaker 7: Line, hey other, Going, UH i have A.
Speaker 8: I have an oak. TREE i just bought this. PROPERTY i moved out here about In, january AND i got an oak tree that's been growing and right in the front. Yard it's no problem or. Anything it looks. Good but about three feet from its, Base, uh there's looks like someone was chopping down some trees that were around, it and a little not big, trees you, know three inches and, around but one of them is starting to sprout off from the side of that where they chopped it off and didn't dig it. Out and my wife looked it up and it was a per simmon is what she found on her. Phone gittalle app that leaves and. Stuff we'll want to move it because they from which she, researched todink it pretty big AND i don't want it right now front. Yard we got a pretty good sized property and we want other trees. Around being that it's connected to that. Stub what's the best way to move? It you would think WHAT i mean to dig up that whole stub and replant it somewhere, else or CAN I.
Speaker 3: From What i'm, hearing it sounds like it may not be. Possible they're so close to, other, Right, Yeah, yeah if if you wanted to, try you could try waiting until fall when the leaves fall, off and dig it. Up try to dig it out right, then but get as much of the roots as you. Can but if What i'm picturing in my mind is what is going on, THERE i don't see a good way to separate those two without doing so much.
Speaker 7: Damage, YEAH i didn't think so.
Speaker 8: Either we just wanted to find. Out we'll probably just go out and buy one because she, wants she. Wants she saw that it has, fruit and they can't grow, Fruit so we're probably gonna go out and buy one that's probably a little bit older and playing it where we were, wanting And i'll Just i'll try to Get we don't want to growing around the, oak So i'm Gonna i'm gonna have, to, yeah at least dig it up and kill, it which isn't go on want, too.
Speaker 3: BUT i would do that because you can get a better variety too than the one that just kind of came up like, that a good quality nursery will be able to get you a good quality Per simon. Variety but THAT i think that's the best way to go all righty.
Speaker 7: And and out out in this. Area do you do you know a good nursery to go?
Speaker 3: To ut?
Speaker 8: There i'm In wis, Right i'm In Winnie off seventy, Three so THAT'S i.
Speaker 3: THINK i THINK i would Try southern out in that. Area or if you're coming Into, houston we got a bunch of good ones over. Here if you're ever had in this way for a. TRIP i got to run to another, call BUT i appreciate, it and and good. Luck there's some Great percimons out. There if you go to The Aggie horticulture Website Aggie, horticulture there is a whole publication on Per, simons AND i would read up on that before you make your purchase and plant your plants and it'll guide. You BUT i do thank You gary for the. Call Pleasure All seasons is On highway two forty, nine right Where lueta comes into two forty. Nine it's been around since nineteen seventy, three and these folks are lawn and garden. Experts if you're looking for the best plants for the, season they're always getting the best in when it warms, up when it cools. Off as we go into the heat of. Summer what's going to keep having blooms in the heat of. Summer they've got. That they are lawn and garden. Experts you can take in pictures or samples for, diagnosis for. Solutions they will point you in the right direction and help you have success and walk you through the process. Too you, know you go back in later and you, say, Hey i'm seeing this, problem here's a picture of. It they'll help. You that's what they do. There plants for All seasons Dot com two eight, one, three, seven, six sixteen forty. Six we're going to go now to a Task asida and talk To. Thomas Hello, thomas good. Morning two quick.
Speaker 15: Questions wanna do you have a product called be sixty?
Speaker 3: ONE i have heard of.
Speaker 15: It it's got a huge phosphate. Number how much it's nine fifty eight? Eight how much phosphates too?
Speaker 3: Much we depends on what's already in your. Soil that's the bottom. Line that one is fine if you're trying to supplement a little bit of phosphorus around a plant that is especially needing quite a bit of. It But i'd be very careful with too much phosphorus because it causes other problems with other. Nutrients, so you, know if it's a typically for blooming, plants you know you're going to water a tomato plant, in you know with something like that to get a good root system, start you're going to put in a rose bush or some things with the bottom line is just be. Careful we've got a lot of other good fertilizers out there that have more balanced uh.
Speaker 15: Nutrient bleeding hot Suck, OKAY i was going to try it my bleeding hot a little. Bit, Okay.
Speaker 7: Okay second, question just.
Speaker 3: Don't don't do. It don't do it too many? Times, no go, ahead, okay spath.
Speaker 15: Afilium what's the best way to water those? Suck is my wife AND i you are arguing about that.
Speaker 3: Seth spaths need a good soaking and then a moderate amount of drying. Out you don't want to keep them soggy. Wet they typically are growing in areas that don't have a lot of light, anyway so the water use rates are. Lower putting them in a very chunky mix that drains exceptionally well is. Helpful we run into a lot of problems when they get in a fine, textured, wet mucky mix and uh that that tends to cause root rots and problems with.
Speaker 15: Them but, Plant, okay they're in the pot, now SO i should be better off putting it put in a different.
Speaker 3: Soil, well it depends on what they're in right. NOW i don't. Know maybe the soil you're in is just. Good but.
Speaker 15: You know it looks like set a lot of peed in it right?
Speaker 3: Now, yeah well it usually. Does just watch the watering of. It one quick way to tell is you sharpen a pencil and stick it down in the soil a couple of inches, deep two or three inches, deep and pull it out and at sharpened. Edge that would if it's got moist soil clingingto, it you don't need to. Water, also watch your. Plants baths will wilt real quickly when they get too, dry and so they'll tell you and you can also once you get used to picking the pot, up you can tell when it's dry because it's so, light very. Lightweight and just just watch. THAT i think that's the best ADVICE i can give.
Speaker 13: You on, That.
Speaker 3: Thomas all, RIGHTY i appreciate.
Speaker 15: It have a good day.
Speaker 3: Ship thank. You, Yes, sarah you too appreciate your. Call, listen if you're thinking about a, generator don't. Delay this is a process getting a. Generator Quality home is the place THAT i would get my. OWN i mean that is WHEN i look at the way they treat, customers by the, ratings by the, awards nobody's going to give you the service The Quality home. Does and they carry The generac automatic standby generator comes on. Automatically it's top quality brand out, there and it's they're the number one generator servicer in The Greater houston. AREA qualitytx dot com is the. Website seven to one to. Three quality is the phone. Number give them a, call start the. Process you will be, impressed like all your neighbors who've called them have. Been all, right, folks welcome Back Guard. Line good to have you back with us. Today, listen WHEN i try a patio plant this, year another one something you haven't grown. Before you get a big old, container you, know like a half whiskey barrel size or something you can grow miniature fruit, tree you, know for, example a lime or maybe a myer lemon something like. That if you are wanting, vegetables you can grow tomatoes as long as you have about ten. Gallons and, then by the, way it's late to be planted. Tomatoes Now i'm just kind of talking in. General eggplant can still be planted out by the. Way out, there you can grow, flowers all kinds of beautiful flowers in, Containers so why not try. That all you need to just get your quality mix like jungle, land flour and vegetable planting. Soil make sure your container has good drainage, holes plant, it and keep it adequately. Moist the bigger the, container the less often you have to water because there's a bigger volume of. Soil that's the bank account of moisture for that. Plant so don't make small. Containers make bigger containers and add the jungle, land and you are on your, well on your way to. Success you can get things like that At Ace hardware out On Sickle ranch On Mason. Road if you were looking for night FoST, products you're going to find them At Fisher's hardware In pasadena On southmore or maybe The Fisher's hardware In laporte On Broadway. Street they all carry nitrofoss type products like the jungle. Land it's all about the, soil even if it's in a. Container it's all about brown stuff before green. Stuff all, right, now this is All i'm gonna call this a public service. Announcement, okay for gardeners out, there if you have been thinking about doing a major landscape, job and you just have kind of been holding off JUST i don't, know for whatever, reason you need to hear What i'm about to. Say we're In Southern gardens is having a spring megasale that's gonna last just through the end of this, month the last Days may. Thirty, first don't wait till the last. Day but if you purchase one hundred dollars or, more it's twenty percent. Off so think of it this. Way you spend one hundred, dollars you only pay Eighty, okay if you want to go all out and spend three thousand or, more it's forty percent. Off so think of. That you want to put in a, trellis you want to put in the have a metal. Arbor you want to add some beautiful pottery to the. Landscape you want bags and bags of soil products and multz products and fertilizer, products and you're looking for plants that are annual, color for perennial, color for, shrubs for, trees for. Vines i'm talking about the whole nine. Yards you spend three, thousand you pay eighteen. Hundred that is a huge. Savings, now, yeah you could do that slowly over, time but this is just an opportunity right. HERE i, mean if you wanted to pull the trigger on it, THIS i have not seen a sale like this. Before it's the largest sale ever and for me at least here on Guard. Line but if you want to see a major revamp of all kinds of, things and if you've ever been out to One Southern, gardens if you haven't been out, there you need to. Go but if you ever, been you know how beautiful that place is and what kind of selection that they. Offer it's On North Park drive out there In but, again this is only good for this. Month so What i'd, suggest why not this afternoon run By Warren Southern, gardens take a look at what they have and just kind of think through. This you, know is this? Something is this the? Time because you can do it in small pieces over, time like all of us. Do but if you want to really save, money here's your. Chance got another week left Spring, Megasale Warren Southern, Gardens Kingwood Garden. Center all, right there you. Go your that was your idea thought for the. Day you consider it your, money your, yard your, money your. Yard. Right we always in our household we say that's not my, yard meaning that that's my neighbor's. Business that's not. Mine it's not my. Yard it doesn't just mean, yard it means in. General that is. True, Hey medina. Products people have been Using medina products SINCE i don't, know at least back in the nineteen. Fifties there's so many of, them you. Know it started off with things like the Simple medina hash to. Grow that's one of the simple basics Of. Medina there's The Medina. Plus there's The medina hash to grow six twelve six. PLANT i talked about that a lot this spring in terms of how valuable that is to getting that higher phosphorus number in the ground for. Transplanting medina soil activator is a standard and people have used it for years on all kinds of plants from the many benefits that it. Provides now we got The Medina. Plus it's been around a long time too. Now but it increases, blooming it increases the foliage, development promotes fruit. Set you can also use it as you're transplanting because it's got The medina sool activator plus over forty trace elements and natural growth promoting substances like cytokinins that comes from a seaweed extract component in The medina plus you, know magnesium and iron and z and. Uh how about. This here's a mouthful para aminobenzoic acid that is a natural substance rival flav and thyme and bioten nicotinic, acid all kinds of trace elements in. It it's a good concoction and it. Works and anybody that's used media products can tell you they are a wonderful way to give your plants that extra boost for them to have. Success and with them being so widely available all across the whole listing, area you, know ace hardware, stores feed, stores home mom and, pop independent garden centers are going to carry things like This Southwest fertilizer and other place you're going to Find medina products easy to find. Them you need to have some on hand because anytime you're wanting to get out there and give your plants a. Boost these products are excellent for. That you're listening to Garden line the phone number seven one three two one two k t R h seven one three two one two kt R h give me a. Call Pest brothers is the company THAT i would send you to pretty much in this Greater houston. AREA i mean they cover all the way From Texas city in the south up to The woodlands Up interstate forty, five From baytown on the east all the way west To katy. Area and when we say pest, control we're talking about. Everything we're talking about termites and other household. Pests they've got a system of termites that lasts for ten years and it's a little trench drug around the. House so it's just a little area they're putting this. In termites try to go through there and they can't get to the, house and it works and it lasts ten. Years if you're concerned about your, pets you want a treat. Pest you want it to be, effected but you want long term results without worries how to do it in the savings. Manner Pest. Bros knows how to do. That they deal with fire ants in the. LAWN i talk about all the, time the mosquito buckets that they have that are so. Wonderful really enjoying, mine by the. Way and then the wild. Varmints, yeah the rats outdoor rats and the possums and everything. Else someone, SAYS i me a picture today of damage to a roof by. Squirrels oh my. God you, know chewing varmits can be a problem out. There they know how to deal with that as. Well dpestbros dot Com the Pest bros b r o s dot com two eight one two o six forty six seventy two eight one two oh six forty six Seventy you need to give them a, call this regional. Company they do good. Work they are very responsive to their, customers and that is very. Important at least it's important to me when we're bringing someone on as a sponsor to know they're going to treat you. Right AND i know that is the case with the Pest. Bros i'm gonna take a little break. Here we'll be back shortly with your. Calls if you'd like to be first up seven one three two one two k t R. H all, right, folks we're back welcome back To. Guardline good to have you with. Us i'm gonna give you another reminder this morning about nine to five Super Turf soup nineteen four to ten silver bag From. Nitrofoss think of it as your summer cover. Fertilization you put that, down, now return your clippings in the process over the coming months of, mowing and you're good to go all the way to. Fall nitrofis super turf silver bags easy to. Find you're gonna find it a lot of different. Places for, example you'll find it AT d And defeat up there In, Tomball. Texas you'll find A Fisher's hardware down On Mott bellvue in Mont bellvue ON fm thirty one eighty and if you are done in The clearlake, AREA m AND d Clear lake On Bar Area. Boulevard all places that you find quality products like superturf from the folks At. Nitrofoss let's go out now To houston to talk To. David, Hello, david welcome to Garden. Line, Hello thank.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 12: Hey i've heard about This harvey lemon bean cold tolerant and stuff like, that And i've been trying to somebody that sells.
Speaker 15: It around here.
Speaker 3: Or somewhere around here THAT i could. Harve you, Said Harvey.
Speaker 18: Lemon, Yeah, harvey like The harvey just playing Regular harvey, Name Harvey.
Speaker 3: LEMON i am not Seeing Harvey lemon around. HERE i wonder if anybody carries. That you, Know i've heard Of, harvey BUT i. Don't that's a good. Question let's see where you look at. It you're in General, houston or you're north south east west or which which way is southeast? Southeast. OKAY i would Call Moss nursery and see if they have it or if they could get it that, Is, YEAH i think they. Might if anybody's going to have, it especially out your, direction they would pray be the ones that would have, it The Moss. Nursery do you need a need a phone number or something from? Them, NO i can find their phone. Number, yeah Because i've BEEN i, WOULD i, would uh. Huh, Yeah i've been.
Speaker 11: Looking for it and uh they have it In.
Speaker 1: Florida they have it everyplace else except around.
Speaker 11: Here so it's.
Speaker 16: Interesting you, know.
Speaker 3: It could be it could be a couple of things. Here, YEAH i was just gonna say it could be a couple of. Things the the you, know you can't just bring citrus in from. Anywhere it has to be inspected and. Everything AND i don't know if there are any issues with it or, whatnot but, UH i was just. Checking when you asked that, QUESTION i went and looked at it and uh, it it looks. Interesting But i'll tell you, This i've been doing this over thirty five years AND i have never had a call On Harvey lemon or heard anybody talk about growing them. Here so when something has not been, done you kind of wonder. Why there's usually a reason. Why BUT i would start With moss AND i would see what they can what they can. Do there's also a wholesale place Called Brasa Citrus. NURSERY i don't have their contact information in front of, me but they they do not sell to. Individuals they don't sell, individuals but if you were to call, them they are all about centrus and they might have information on it that may be helpful to. You BUT i would start with the retail source and that would be in your. Area Moss nursery done at Seabrook, okay, okay all, right well good luck and you win the. Stump you win the. Stump the chump challenge for, Today, david you stumped me on that. One thanks a. Lot YEAH o get, Out bye, bye all, right bye, bye all, right hey, folks got time for another. Call if you would like seven one three two one two k t R. H whoever's fastest with the, fingers we will visit with. You, listen when it, rains you have all these little, places most of which you don't even know about or water. Standing could be in a sagging, Gutter it could be underneath the pot of your. Plants that little catch, basin could be that old bird bath sitting out there that you just don't you. Know knock the water out and get fresh water in it all the. Time, mosquitos they don't need much, time they don't need much. Water in, fact a bottle cap of water is enough for a mosquito to reproduce lay. Eggs have. Larva have a brand new adult mosquita to ruin your outdoor. Gathering mosquito dunks or small based donuts a float on standing, water one dunk the both, size a little Little debbie white powdery donuts you know talk about? Anyway do'nut there covers one hundred square feet and last for about thirty days or. More you can break them up if you want to make them into little, granules or you can purchase them in a granule form, too and put them in little small. Spaces if you got a hollow, tree you, know maybe the branch is cut off and there's a place where walk can get, in they're gonna be mosquitos breeding done in. There throw them up in there to treat that. Water they're proof for use in organic. Production they. Work it is not a poison that will hurt other. Things it will not hurt birds or, pets, surfish or anything. Else it is a disease of. Mosquitos mosquito dunks are widely available in our independent garden centers and our feed stores and our ace hardware stores And Southwest. Fertilizer they're easy to find and they. Work you should just have them on hand because we get in these rainy spells and you can break the life cycle that. Way but you gotta find out where the water is and either pour it out or put some mosquito dunks in. There it's a natural way to manage this problem. Pest nothing is more frustrating to me than a little mosquito making that little high pitched sound flying around your head and you're swatting yourself in the head trying to knock the mosquito that's somewhere back there flying. Around, heye, mosquitos but mosquita. Dunks it's a good, thing good thing to happen to. Them, well you're listening to guardline we've got we're running toward the end of this. Hour we've got one more hour coming up here, too by the, Way so if you got some questions or, calls feel free to give us a call at seven one three two to one two k T rh seven to, one three two to one two k t r H u if you've got some questions about your lawn or your GUARD i got a couple of items That i'm going to talk about when we come, back a couple of things THAT i think you'll be interested, in uh in the way of what are some, tips like how do you and then we'll fill in the blank from. There one thing i'd like you to think, about, though before music starts telling me to quit talking, here is vines and the fact that we don't use vines enough in our. Landscapes now we have vines that will take off and run like a kindergarten on the first day of. SCHOOL i, mean you just have to be careful with them because they're so. Aggressive we have other vines that are very, tame you. Know the blue butterfly pea is a very, tame little annual vine that we can. Plant vines are great for. Arbors if you've got an overhead, structure putting a vine on it gives you a, nice, soft natural shade that you can sit under and. Enjoy maybe it's a grape vine and you get fruit out of the deal on top of it. All or maybe it's a flowering. Rose you know, what a beautiful climbing rose. Vine that's a wonderful idea for a trellish or an. Arbor maybe it's the west side of your. House maybe you have a brick wall or that's heats up at the end of the day when the sun bakes on that. BRICK i want you to do. Something go out today at about eight o'clock a, night and go put your hand on that wall and feel how hot it is that. Brick it's like a brick. Off it absorbs the heat and then it radiates that heat outward and inward into your, house making your air condition a work. Overtime simply putting a, vine either on the wall or on a structure that's it's a trellisit SIT's out from the, wall can make a big difference in the temperature and you're electric bill as. Well vines make good. Walls someone often, SAYS i got a neighbor AND i don't want to look at fill in the blank across the, fence and they want a real quick. Cover, well we can recommend a row of, shrubs and that could work very, well but it takes. Time with a vine on something like a livestock panel that is very long lasting in the, environment doesn't just rust. Away you can put that on a post and by planning a vine on, it you can get a really quick cover screen. Easily remember that the closer you put a wall to where you, sit the taller the screen visually will. Be here's WHAT i. Mean you sitting on your patio and you look across and you got let's say you have a six foot privacy fence and there's something sticking up ten feet on the other side of the. Fence, well if you put a vine trellis right by the, fence it's gonna have to be ten feet high to block the view if you put it by where you set, something even five or six feet high will be enough because your angle of, sight your line of sight is different, There so kind of be creative and think about. That where would a vine be nice to block a? VIEW i have some vines that are fragrant flowered, vines AND i like to put them near the outdoor sitting area so when the summer breeze is whaffed through, THEM i get to enjoy the fragrance of those. Vines lots of good reasons to have, vines from shade to blocking a, view to, fragrance to beautiful visual, flowers to even more ideas than. That consider having a vine in your. Landscape where would one be nice to? Add if you're just looking for, FLOWERS a perennial vine or an annual vine could be just fine for that that they grow, fast AND i just think we need more. Vines that's one of the under planted plants that we have in our. Landscapes all, right there's some ideas for you to think. ABOUT i need to fuel up with one more cup of coffee to go this last hour today and we'll be back taking your calls here on Guarden line seven one three two one two kt R h when you get a. Chance, heck maybe now's a good. Time go check out my website gardening With skip dot. Com gardening With skip Dot. COM i have publications on there That i've. Added in, FACT i have some new things that have not been up a really long time that you might find are very helpful for your gardens and your landscapes as. Well so go check that. Out gardening With skip Dot. Com welcome back to Guarden, line. Folks, hey we're in our last hour of the, day which means the last hour of the. Weekend those of you new to Garden, line welcome you found. Us tell your neighbors and friends about Garden. Line we got people that call from all over the place here and we're happy to help you have. Success IS i like to put, IT i want you to have a beautiful garden. LANDSCAPE i want you to have a bountiful garden and, landscape AND i want you to have more fun in the. Process and that's what we try to do here on Garden, line help you to have. Success that's the bottom. Line one of the things that is important for people to understand in success with, plants one of the foundational things is to take care of the soil and get the soil right. Now once plants are, in you can still do things to improve the nutrient content and, whatnot but it's easiest to do that as you're preparing to. Plant getting the soil worked in some organic, matter maybe expanded shale and a heavy clay, soil that will help a lot go a long. Way as a matter of, fact for, IT i tell you that the people At Heirloom soils have got you covered on all of. That Heirloom soils is a top quality purveyor of the kinds of products that create the most effective plant promoting foundation for plant growth that you can, have and that includes composts of many. Kinds they have Leap mo, composts they. Have you, know they specialize in taking organic matter and turning it into rocket fuel for, plants things that enhance your plant. Growth they do. That for, example you can buy an expanded shale from. Them expanded shell holds that clay soil open. It you put enough of it in, there it's going to create a, porous lightweight air space that will enhance plant growth in a heavy heavy massive clay. Soil they make a compost and shale mix At Heirloom soils that you can also. Use for that, compost we'll decompose a way over. Time the expanded shehale has much more of a structural integrity to hold that space. Open so it's a really good combo that they do. There just know this With Heirloom, soils whether you go to a garden center or a feed store or on a hardware store ourself as fertilizer, someplace and you buy their products by the, bag or whether you call them and have them deliver it either by a dump onto the driveway or under your, property or buy a supersack it's a qbicyard that they, deliver or if you go out there and get, it you can go out to porter and pick it up. Yourself save that transportation, costs which with any kind of bulk sold, things that's a considerable. Cost you can do it any way you. Want just do it and use their quality products because they. Work airloomsoils Dot com is the website airloomsoils Dot. Com start. There there's a great calculator by the way to tell you how much product you need to. Do whatever you're trying to do in, home your home, garden and in your home landscape as. Well always, remember when we're preparing our, soil what we're really doing is two. Things number, one we're creating a soil structure that drains, well but it holds moisture, adequately but it drains. Well and number, two we're adding nutrients that help support the plant by creating a bank account of those. Nutrients that's the one reason why azemite is so. Popular it's a trace mineral. Supplement azamite is put down in small. Amounts you don't need a lot of trace, minerals but they are. Essential plants cannot grow without trace. Minerals, okay so asimite put, down you put on your. Lawn you can do it on a regular, basis more than once a year if you want. To i'd start with the soil test to know for sure if you need it more than once a year or. Not but whatever you do putting it, down you can do it when you're, fertilize you can do it in between. Fertilizations it doesn't. Matter just include that azamite is part of your annual soil nutrient bank. Account maintenance. System and when you do all of, that whatever plants you're trying to grow is going to have better. Success that's just the way nature. Works it, works it works really. Well let's head to the west side Of houston now and we're going to visit With. Rob, Hello, Rob welcome to Garden. Line, Hey, hey how you, doing?
Speaker 20: Buddy hey you Know.
Speaker 3: Ashley I'm William.
Speaker 9: Fuel i've been going with you an email, there back and, forth AND i sent you a picture the other. DAY i was turning my malt AND i noticed this white residue underneath of. It is that SOMETHING i need to be worried?
Speaker 15: About or what is?
Speaker 9: It DO i need to get rid of my mulch and redo?
Speaker 7: It or what DO i need to do with?
Speaker 6: That?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rob i'm glad you called. That, no that's a good, question and it's what other people are going to. Have And rob sent me a picture and what you see is the, chunky woody mulch that goes on top of the. Ground but as you turn it and get kind of underneath the surface where it's, moist there's all this white. Stuff and, yeah what that is is that those are fungal. Strands. Rob and when it comes to decomposing organic, matter we have a lot of different microbial things that can do, that like bacteria and actinomy seats and other. Things when it comes to the tough stuff to break, down like, wood the lignan and wood, products that's hard to break, down but fungi can do it and they get in. There and there's a bazillion different kinds of fungi that do, this but a number of them have these white fungal, strands and all that means is nature is turning that mulch back into, soil high, quality composty. Soil so that's a good. Thing don't worry about it at. All you're good to. Go, yeah all, right, brother that's. GOOD i sure appreciate.
Speaker 13: You.
Speaker 9: Man you've been really a true help for. Me man over these last couple of. Weeks, MAN i really appreciate your. Time, Well i'm glad that. Helped appreciate your. Call you take care very.
Speaker 3: Much, uh the fire ants Are we got rained the other day and all of a, SUDDEN i saw a couple of mounds come up THAT i didn't even KNOW i had that out there in the. Yard when you see a, mound you can treat that mound and shut it down with a product Called Fiant killer From. Nitroposs Nitropos Fiant killer is it's a product that works fast and you just follow the, label apply it to the mound and it shuts them. Down so let's say you got A Memorial day party coming up tomorrow and you don't have time for a bait to work between now and. Tomorrow but you can Use Nitrofoss Fiant killer and put it on the, mound follow the label instructions on how to do, it and it'll shut them down and family friends can come over and not be crawled on by all those fire ants in the. Math it's a good way to shut things down quick and it. Works and Nightro fosh products are available all over the. Place you can find them A Stanton Shopping center And alvin On North. Taylor go on To engleton and you'll find them At Lake hardware And. Velasco and include The Lake hardware On Dixie drive carry the Night fosh products as. Well we're going to head now To, Victoria texas and talk To aaron hello erin.
Speaker 1: Good, Morning.
Speaker 20: Skip thank you very much for taking my. CALL i just sent you some email pictures of some four o'clocks that's been in the same location for a number of. Years but last, year towards the end of the, SUMMER i noticed that they were getting these little white dots on their leaves and then the leaf would kind of turn, yellow and then it would just the leaf would ultimately just kind of turn the. Mush but it spread amongst all of the plants and it ultimately killed all of. Them this, year just the volunteer four o'clocks came back and they were doing good until about a week, ago And i'm starting to.
Speaker 1: See these little spots pop up.
Speaker 8: Again and you can.
Speaker 20: See on the pictures it's affected one a whole lot more than the, others but it's spreading to the others as.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the spots could be several different things As i'm looking at your, Pictures BUT i tell you what the elephant in the room. Is those plants have a. Virus virus gets them plants and causes malformed and that's why you see the modeling coloring of, it and that's why you see some not so naturally shaped leaves coming on. Them there is no cure for. Virus that's the bottom. Line there is no cure for. It you can't spray for.
Speaker 6: It so.
Speaker 3: What you're going to have to do is just take those particular plants and rip them, out and know that any insect that feeds on them and feeds on your healthy ones is going to transmit that, virus just like a mosquito would carry malaria from one person to. Another, okay some of the spots That i'm seeing look like a condition called edema that is from a lot of moisture in the, root a lot of moisture down. There but that's not the elephant in the. Room it's the virus that you need to be dealing. With so four o'clocks you got to dig out the tuber underground to get rid of. Them you can bring some seeds in plant new, ones but as long as you've got a virus infected four, o'clock it's like being locked in a room with a person with the. Flu you're going to get it. Too you want to get those out of.
Speaker 20: There so there is a pretty nice rosebush less than six inches away from one of these four clocks are going to spread.
Speaker 3: To not a, Problem, no, no this is a virus of four. O'clocks don't worry about. That, HEY i got to. Run i'm up against a hard break, here but good luck with. It and then thank you for the. CALL i appreciate, That. Aaron we'll be right. Back all, right, folks we're. Back welcome back To. Guardline good to have you with. Us if you are looking for a liquid plant food for your plants indoor, outdoor Micro life has got you covered with a number of quality organic. OPTIONS i like to use The. Biomatrix it is an orange. Label it is a seven to one three organic liquid fertilizer that will provide that extra boost of, nitrogen especially important for, houseplants which are mostly mostly foliage plants that were growing. Indoors you can use it outdoors. Too that is not just an indoor. Fertilizer it's just that with the boost of, nitrogen it's good for foliage. Development Microlife Ocean harvest is a blue. Label it is a four to two. Three this one is a fish based, product and SO i use it primarily outside because it has a little bit of the fish odor to. It but organic gardeners have long known that fish of motion and seaweed are key elements when it comes to folier. Feeding liquid fertilizing the plants that they have And Microlife Ocean Harvest blue label or orange. Label either one comes in a, quart comes in a, gallon and they. Work they give you good quick results and they. WORK i always have them on. Hand i've got some right now sitting. There did a little bit of work with them the other. Day wanting to get plants a little bit of boost from the folks At. Microlife go To microlifefertilizer dot com to find out more about the products they carry and all the many places where you can Find microlife products here in The Greater houston. Area we're going to go now To Walnut bend and talk To. Donna, Hello, donna welcome to Garden.
Speaker 13: Line thank.
Speaker 21: You i'm hoping you can help me with something THAT i think is called asiatic day. Lily it's a something that somebody put in my flower bed and it was really pretty and it's got a small blue, flower but it's it's, everywhere and while we do pull it, OUT i think we're to the point now where we got to have some other kind of methods for getting that stuff out of.
Speaker 7: There, OKAY i called.
Speaker 3: It's probably an asiatic, lily as opposed to a day. Lily but they're asiatic. Lilies they make some of them make little, bulbules little things on the stem that when they break off and drop on the, ground they can form a new plant. There so that may be what is causing the proliferation that you're seeing. It you, know it's a matter of digging them. Up it's a matter of putting a good thick mulch over them to try to shade the light out if it's coming from a. Seed but it's probably not coming from a, seed SO i think it'll push up through. Molts just find ANYWAY i would, say, uh you, know you can use a product that let me ask you this, first in the flower bed other than the asiatic, lilies do you have some desirable plants all around? There in and amongst all.
Speaker 21: AROUND i mean everything it, all that's all. Butterflies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well so your your option is going to be either to just be diligent and periodically go through there and when they come, up dig them. Up don't let any of them get big and produce other little bowlbills or other things that might you, know propagate it even. More or to get my weed wiper. Plans how to build one on my, website and you can put a product on the weed, wiper either a glyphosate or a triclopeer type. Product either of those is applied to the sponge of the weed, wiper and you just reach down and squeeze that sponge onto the daylily flower and you put the product only on the daylily flower that you grabbed with the sponges and uh and that doesn't hurt the other plants around, it but it translocates down and kills. Them i've got one of my weed wipers hanging on the wall in the, garage and WHENEVER i have problem weeds AND i don't want to kill plants around those, WEEDS i use the wiper to put it on. There if you go to my Website gardening With skip Dot Com gardening With skip Dot, Com skip's weedwiper is on, there as well as a list of products for use on the weed, wiper depending on the kind of weed you're going.
Speaker 21: After, okay all, RIGHT i think that plant should be put on the do not.
Speaker 3: Useless, okay, well whatever kind of planet is that weed wiper? Approach that'll that'll?
Speaker 13: Work, OKAY i appreciate.
Speaker 7: It thank.
Speaker 15: You, yeah you.
Speaker 3: Bet. THANKS i appreciate your coll very. Much thank you a. Lot Arbigate Garden center up In tomball is just it's just one of those places you just like to go. VISIT i would say it's been one of those places that makes you happy as a. Gardener you, know you go and you just see all this cool stuff and you're looking at all these cool plants and the people there are so friendly and they help you and they don't, say, yeah that plant's over there across the. Nursery they walk you over to, it they talk about how to plant. It you, go, well what goes good with? This and they'll give you ideas for. That and it's just a, fun happy place to.
Speaker 2: Be it.
Speaker 3: Is and when you're there you pick up their one two three easy system to get the soil right before you put those plants. In that's a food for anything with. Roots it's an organic food with calcium in. It, additionally it's got an organic soil complete that has also expanded show you've heard me talk about, today an organic compost complete that has expanded. Shell if you need a lot of those last, two the Soil complete and Compost, complete you can order them by bulk From arburgate and they'll deliver them to your. House but when you go To, arburgate you're going to see all these plants and you just got to go get out there and enjoy. It this, weekend remember it's tax free. WEEKEND i need to talk about that in just a little. Bit HERE i want to give you some more details about tax free. Weekend But arburgate is the kind of place that you're going to want to take friends with you when you shop, too because even non plant people will think it is beautiful and very very interesting and fun to go. To arburgate is west Of tombull on twenty nine to twenty just about a mile and a half west Of tombull on the left hand. Side as you're going out of town, today it would be a really good day to go out and visit the Arbor. Gate let's go now to Foot bend and we're going to talk To. Myra Hello, mara welcome to Garden line and how you. Doing skip.
Speaker 22: Good.
Speaker 3: GOOD i wanted to talk about some.
Speaker 23: Candlo SO i planted about eight heills A, canada and yes they was in full bloom and you know the vines they've run out and it was in full bloom and had some small candloes on. Them BUT i found out that they had been cut, off cut. OFF i, mean would a animal do? That uh had to be a personal, animal would uh huh cut the vines off like?
Speaker 3: That and, yeah the blooms when they if they don't, pollinate the kendlop, ones if they don't, pollinate they don't. Last they fall. Off uh and the, Male, no they.
Speaker 23: Didn't fall they didn't fall. OFFCASS i go in out there where there is every day and uh, huh it looked like they were snipped off with you, know, uh.
Speaker 3: Holy Cal. WELL i guess there's probably an insect that could do. THAT i don't know a particular one that you. Know it's not like everybody who grows kendlops has to deal with the little insect cutting off the. Blooms.
Speaker 23: Uh BUT i never saw a fragment of Any BUT i never saw a fragment of any of the vine that was cryppt.
Speaker 3: Off well that's a good. Question you got me on that. One so basically what your question is, this you got, blooms and you got blooms of a little kendalops on, them and you go out and they're. Gone they're not laying on then, there they're. GONE i don't know anything that just eats the blooms off of. Cantalopes there's probably something because it's happening at your. House, uh but that is a.
Speaker 23: Stumper, yeah they was in full bloom and the vines are. Gone the vines seem to look like they was clipped.
Speaker 3: Off, oh the vines are gone, Too, yes Sir, nu.
Speaker 23: Look like somebody clipped the vines. Off but but they took the vines with was not any of the vines left on the on the. Ground you, know they were playing.
Speaker 3: Do you have? Deer the first TIME i ever seen anything like that in my. Life, WELL i don't know. Anything there are only only two THINGS i can think. Of they would take a section of candleop vine and clip it off and it's, gone and that's. Dear and they generally are just gonna eat the, foliage not the, vine or foul play by somebody or. SOMETHING i don't know, anything, Uh, mara never in forty years heard of anything that would just cut off a section of vine and take it, away get rid of, it right kind of?
Speaker 2: Thing that?
Speaker 3: Is, Yeah i'm thinking my life, yeah you might want to check out at, night go, out you, know turn a flashlight on real quick and see if anything you catch anything out there doing.
Speaker 14: It oh that is.
Speaker 3: Weird, yeah this is, strange you. KNOW i. DON'T i don't know if you're willing to believe an alien. Invade but if you see any signs of where a spaceship, landed that may make sense more so than anything. Else i'm. Saying, no, seriously that is. WEIRD i. DON'T i don't know what to tell you about that.
Speaker 23: One and they and they looked my vines was just beautiful and just then full. Bloom BUT i don't find any of the vine on the. Ground you, know everything is.
Speaker 3: Gone but do you have Sol is there some bear soil out there around? All this is the bear. Soil, no no multra grass or anything on, it just bear soil areas around. It. No, Okay, WELL i was gonna, say go out and water real good out, there and then come back the next day and look for. Tracks see if you see any tracks of deer.
Speaker 23: Or anything like, that you, know with the weather being with the weather being pretty, dry if that was, no no, tracks because agend the.
Speaker 3: Water you, KNOW i wore. Them that is a. Stumper if you, want you can send me a picture of where the vine was cut. Off get up real close with your. Camera i'm going to put you on. Hold my producer will pick up and give you an. Email take a picture of the end of the. Vinyl come out of several of. Them i'm in the.
Speaker 23: House i'm in the house this. MORNING i have them came out in My garden's we in the.
Speaker 3: Bank, okay, well, no don't you don't send them, Today but if you want, to let me look at. It let me look at HOW i was cut. Off Maybe i'll see something THAT i don't. Know it's just a long, shot BUT i believe you got me on that. One, Hey i've got a. Run we're at our bottom of the hour, Break but thank you for the, call and let's see if we can keep working on getting to the bottom of this who done?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 3: Mystery thank, You, myra appreciate that. Call when we come, Back david And, michelle you will be our first two. Up we'll be right back here in just a moment with more of your calls from Garden. Gate Garden, Gate i've been talking about Arbor. Gate Garden line used to be a Garden gate. Magazine maybe still. Is, anyway we'll be back with garden after the bottom of the hour. News thanks a. Lot, oh by the, way if you'd like to call seven one three two one two k t R. H all, right, folks we're. Back we got a half hour Garden line left today and we got plenty to talk. About so hang on if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two k t R. H we're going to go To Southwest houston and talk To. David first thing, Here Hello, david and welcome to Garden.
Speaker 10: Line my first time on Garden, gate.
Speaker 3: Our Garden. Gate all, right Garden, Line.
Speaker 10: SO i got this FAR i FORGET i want to, ask and WHEN i finished talking to, you can you let me leave a picture for you of a? Weed have a question ABOUT i heard you tell you the last.
Speaker 3: Person, yeah you can after AFTER i finished talking to, you all picture on hold and uh, my, Uh i'm pretty sure we'll send you the. Email give you the email that you need to send. It, okay, great thank.
Speaker 10: You, Okay SO i called that BECAUSE i have a question about a Vine i'm getting ready to. PLANT i have two armies in my back. Yard one is one is for passion vine and one is for pipe, vine and and AND i love them. Both the passion vine is great for The they're actually great for, butterflies both of.
Speaker 3: Them but the passion.
Speaker 10: Vine AND i know why it's called a poppa vine because it does pop up. Everywhere so but the other DAY i bought this red trumpet vine Because i've always wanted to have. One there so, pretty And i'm going to planet by the. Fence i'm not gonna put an.
Speaker 3: Up i'm just gonna let.
Speaker 10: IT i, HAVE i have a couple of trails and then let it go on that and then go on to the wooden fence from. There but my question, IS i WAS i was considering instead of playing it in the, ground putting it in a big, pot so that that, way Maybe i've read it when it spread as much that, WAY i want to see what you thought about that idea that.
Speaker 3: Done my can't it can't. Spread it can't spread if it's not if it's in a, Pot so that's. Possible it needs to be a big. Pot those are big vigorous. Vines AND i don't, know you, know at some point you're going to have a vine that's reached as big as it's going to be able to get with the soil that sustains it in the, pot and SO i don't know how well it would. Perform i've never tried a trumpet vine in a big, pot but it would confine, it that's for. Sure you're just going to need to be able to water it regularly in order to not let it go dry and stress at the end of every day in the, summer because even a big, pot that trumpet vine is going to get big and it's gonna pump it dry pretty. Quick so that's only. Drawback but it's certainly worth giving it a.
Speaker 10: Try if you want to try, That, okay all, Right i'll give it and Get SHALL i use roy soil for that in the?
Speaker 7: Pot?
Speaker 3: YEAH i, WOULD i. WOULD i would use a ROSO i think that'd be a good one for. It i'm going to put you on, Hold, david and pretty Sure i'll give you an email if you need to send a. Photo all, Right, thanks thanks a, LOT i appreciate that. Call you, know the folks THAT i talk about all the. Time for those of you down south Of houston southwest to southeast that are looking for compost top dressing and core aeration IS b AND b Turf PROS b AND b Turf. Pros now the website it's the same, thing just doesn't have THE ant symbol in. There IT'S bb Turf pros dot. COM bb Turf pros dot com seven one, three two three four fifty five ninety. Eight they cover From sugarland And Missouri city all the way across Down highway six all the way over to forty. Five that would Be League city And dickinson, area so everything in Between alvin And manville and Pair land And friendswood in that whole. Region they do high quality. Work they only use products and companies THAT i trust here on Garden. Line so for, example their top quality screened leaf mole composts comes from cienamultch right there tells you this is quality. Stuff they're all about customer, satisfaction doing high quality, work using quality, products and making a personal connection with their. Clients and you look at their ratings and you can see. That, now to do a cororation and compost top dressing costs about five hundred bucks depending on or THAT i say that's where it, starts depending on the yard. Size and you've got a big. Yard it gonna cost. More they have to travel a further distance and haul of the equipment and all the, mulches composts and. Everything it's gonna cost a little bit. More but Through. May you got one week left of, this so you need to call them. Now free aerration with the purchase of top. Dressing so you hire them to come out and top, dress but while they're, there they'll also do the aeration first for free only through this month Of. May so you got to give them a call, now bb turfpros Dot com seven to, one three two three four fifty five ninety. Eight all, right we're going to go now To cyprus and talk To. Michelle, Hello, michelle welcome To. Gardenline good.
Speaker 22: Morning how are.
Speaker 3: You i'm doing? Well thank?
Speaker 1: You well.
Speaker 22: Great i'm hoping you can help. Me we recently moved into a new home and we wanted to add a flower bed along the fence line kind, of and so we put in you, know, soil and planted all the plants or all the plants are doing, awesome and then all of a, SUDDEN i start getting all these you, know weeds.
Speaker 15: Popping, up and, so, OKAY i asked my, dad who.
Speaker 13: Loves, you by the, way he's like a master.
Speaker 17: Gardener and he told.
Speaker 22: Me that was nut grass or nut.
Speaker 15: Set, okay apparently it's like.
Speaker 22: Super hard to get rid.
Speaker 3: Of solling it.
Speaker 15: All, yes, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: CAN i can cut to the chase on this one BECAUSE i know where we're going and here's what you got to. Do Nuts edge a pernicious. Weed it's one of the worst weeds in the, world one of the most problematic weeds in the. World you can control, it but you have to be very. Diligent And i've put a publication online on my, website which Is gardening With skip dot. Com that's the Website gardening With skip dot, com and it's Called nutsedge an In Depth, look AND i wrote it. Up it's several, pages but you need to read it and learn about that weed because you need that knowledge to know how to go about killing. It and there are products that are listed on the publication that basically a product called, sedgehammer and there's some other name brands of the same ingredient as, sedgehammer But sedgehammer two is the sedgehammer rather is the one that you're looking. FOR i also have on my website something called skip'sweed, wiper and it's a real simple little tool you, build very easy to. Build you'll see it when you look at the. Publication AND i use it in my. Flowerbeds for. NUTSEDGE i had a bed that was full of nuts. EDGE i worked at it last. Year every time it has three to five, leaves you have to wipe it again with the, product AND i got all of it but a few sprigs That i'm now taking care of this. Year so if you don't let nutsedge come up for, air you can. Win but if you, wait like if you waited until now to start on, it you have eight times the number of nutsedge tubers as you did this at the end of. Winter so that's why you have to be. Diligent and the publications and the tool that applies. It it's easy to do and you can win this. War but you got to download, those read, them and follow them. Carefully and that's the bottom line on. Nutsedge.
Speaker 7: OKAY i use Sedge, ender a product By.
Speaker 15: Bonine i've used.
Speaker 3: It Sedge ender is the same. Ingredient sedge ender is the same ingredient you need to use with Sedge, ender you need to use a surfactant with. It it makes it stick to the nutsedge leaves. Better, okay and so. Go well MAYBE i don't. KNOW i would buy a non ion extra. Factor it's a little. Bottle it's not very. Expensive but just just do that and then. Stay but read that publication because you can't just do it once or twice here and. There it's going to be you. Decide, okay this, year no nutsedge in my bed is going to get more than five leaves on it BEFORE i put this back on it. Again and you can. Win but just read. It that's WHY i made the publications because there's too much to explain fully over the.
Speaker 17: Year, sure, sure, well thank.
Speaker 21: YOU i already pulled up your website and found the article.
Speaker 17: AND i will read, it all.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah and find the weed wiper on. There find the weed wiper on there. Too you want to build you one of? Those all, right thanks a. LOT i appreciate your call very, much and say hey to your. Dad all, right. Folks Nelson Plant food has a number of different. Products talking about their Turf star line, today they have a product called Color star that is it's really nationally. KNOWN i mean they ship that stuff to other states because people tried. It they used it and they call. Down they, go, LOOK i got to get a shipment of. This this stuff. Works landscapers love, it professional industry and homeowners. Too it's your most popular fertilizer for over forty years. Now now The Colorstar plus has an added, fungicide so if you're looking at boosting your plants but also dealing with some of the fungal diseases of roots and, plants it has that extra boost in it if you want to go that. Route but Color star. Works you're going to get three to four months of feeding out of. It you can find it all over the, place and like some of the Nutri star, Products Color star you can go to about a dozen places around town where you can refill your empty. Jars and it saves a little money on buying it in saves throwing that plastic. Away Nelson Plant food Color star a, quality quality product that will help you have more bloom and healthier plants on all your blooming, flowers, annuals, perennials, shrubs. Trees it works on anything like that does super. Well time for me to take a. Break we'll be right back in just a, moment.
Speaker 11: All, right.
Speaker 3: Folks little stars that thrive. Forever on This Memorial day, weekend just a, reminder special day where we thank all of those, people all the fallen, heroes who have provided for us the ultimate, sacrifice so that in our lives we enjoy so many freedoms and sometimes we just naturally take for. Granted but they definitely did not come easy over the, centuries as our country has grown and defended itself against those who would have other. Plans you, know when you really think about those kinds of sacrifices that were, made you, know you watch the movies and the shows where you, know war and bout shows and things like, that and you know it's a depiction of. It but only those who have lived through those experiences really understand what it's like to be there in that moment and to be able to find a way to do what they, do to provide our, freedom to protect our, country to get through it. Themselves that is a that is an incredible sacrifice and for some the ultimate. Sacrifice by the, WAY i want to remind you that tonight In. Sugarland tonight in Sugar, land it begins at seven five, pm seven oh five pm at The Sugarland Town. Square there's a patriotic concert honoring the fallen heroes this Memorl ofdly. Weekend they'll be a brass, band The grammy winning, singers a number of different, things, dancers, singers a chorus at thirty member chorus leading in this. Tribute for, example The bill And Kim nash have a very stirring and heartwarming tribute to those who gave their lives for our. Country Sugar, sugarstar Sugar land resident And Texas Radio hall Of fame Member Scott arthur will be mceeing the, event And, scott a friend of mine and someone that we've talked to here live On guardline, before will be there to m see the. Event it's just a very special. Event it's, free by the, way it doesn't cost, anything BUT i would suggest you bring your own launch here again tonight at The Sugarlandtown square seven oh five. Pm it's got more information Contact scott at seven one three eight two four sixty one twenty six AND i hope you have a, wonderful Wonderful Memorial day. Weekend i'm not ending the show, NOW i just want to make sure and say this BEFORE i run out of. Time at the. END uh and a thanks especially to all folks who served in our armed forces and continue to serve and our armed forces or our. Country you, know one of the things we think about on a moral day weekend is getting the barbecue pits out and enjoying cooking out and being with family and gathering and all of. That AND Ace. Hardware it's just the. Place and WHEN i think about outdoor, LIVING i think ABOUT Ace hardware WHEN i think about you, know barbecuing and just enjoying being in the, outdoors creating the, ambiance creating this, setting all of the little things that you need to create that perfect. Setting, Well ace is the. Place they've got a wide variety of. Pits by the, way they have the pellet. Pits they have things like The Big Green, egg both the pellet types From trigger And. Rectec they got The Big Green. Egg, There weber. Pits they have many other supplies they go with all of, this and a number of those are on an incredible super sale right. Now AND i wouldn't delay. That this would be a perfect. Time do you grab you one this afternoon and be ready to go tomorrow or this afternoon for some great barbecue out. There why you're At Ace, hardware pick up your, fertilizers pick up the products to help your lawn be beautiful and, healthy to create a more productive, garden to make sure that your place is just as beautiful as you want it to. BE ace specializes in. That and if you want to find your Local Ace hardware stores that are part of my garden line group, Here Ace hardwaretexes dot, Com Ace hardwaretexas dot. Com find the ones near. You let's see. Here we don't have a call sitting out, there So i'll tell you What i'm GONNA i want to talk a little bit about an event coming up and it's Called. Obapalooza and you're, thinking what what did you just? Say, well oba ohba is The Organic Horticulture Benefits. Alliance Organic Horticulture Benefits. Alliance i've worked with them for a number of years. Now, Uh and it is just a this event is it's an. Annual it's a fourth annual by the. Way it is just a great full day of organic, gardening sustainable, living and really ecological inspiration for, anybody whether you're in the landscape, industry whether you're just you, know a home, resident a gardener. Interested Joe lample is going to come. Speak joe is one of The he's one of my favorite horticultures across the. Country, Really joe just does an excellent job with his own programs that are national. Programs, now by the, way there'll be eight other organic expert led breakout sessions going on through the. Day i'll be giving a talk there as. Well AT Oba. Palooza this Is, Saturday august. TWELFTH i know that's a little bit ahead of, time but these things they fill up and if you're, interested it goes from eight am to four. Pm eight am to four Pm, Saturday august twelfth at The United way Of Greater houston that's kind of north Central houston ON Wa drive FIFTY Wah. Drive, now if you're AN oba, member it's one hundred dollars for the. Tickets if you're a non, member it's one twenty. Five but everybody that comes is going to Get you get a really nice uh mid morning snack, break you get an afternoon, one and you get a really good healthy meal as a. RESULT i love the the it's just the way they cater these things is. Awesome AND i promise you this you will learn a lot and meet a lot of really cool. People if you want more information or to, register go TO oba online dot org slash. Register i'll say that, AGAIN ohba online dot org slash register all right. Now if you are A oba member and you register to do, this you will get a free copy of their new organic lifestyle booklet THAT ova has put, out and it's a really good. ONE i think you will enjoy that as. Well but, anyway that Is, Saturday. August i'll be there myself eight am to four. Pm hope that you can make it and join. Us love to see you. There so we are in the tax free. Weekend what does that? Mean what are we talking? About, well The state Of texas is Waving texas state taxes this weekend on products that help conserve water that make it more efficient to utilize our water. Supplies, so for, example plants and trees and grasses all qualify for. This soil compost and mulch all qualifies for. THIS a rain barrel or some other alternative rain collection system qualifies for. This you buy a soaper hose or drip irrigation equipment that qualifies for. This things that help you save. Water and when you go to your garden, center you're a hardware. Store when you go To Southwest, fertilizer when you, go you, know to the feet stores you hear me talk about on Guarden, line they understand what the water saving weekend's. About they can help guide you in. This but this would be a great weekend to take advantage of that make your. Purchases and it's only. Now all that's left now is today and tomorrow for the water saving weekend from The. Texas it's The Texas Comproller State Controller's office that is actually the source of the information and everything you need to know on, This so take advantage of it this. Weekend you, know you don't have to plan them this weekend to just get the, supplies get them, there get them ready to go so that when it is, time you're ready to go on. It all, Right, well it's been a busy day here on Garden. Line a few more Things i'd like to have gotten to and talked, about but we are where we are on, time about to put this one in the. BOOKS i want to remind you that you can listen to past shows on Garden line at THE ktr. Website go find the Guarden line page on ktrch, website or if you go to my. Website i've said it about eight hundred times, today gardeningwithskip dot. Com, right there is a listen to Garden line button right in the big middle of the, page beneath the banner with my picture in, it and you can listen to Garden line. Live you can listen to pass, shows or you can download The iHeartMedia. APP i love that one little red heart on a white, square and you can listen to Garden line pass shows and live on The iHeartMedia. App and so if you miss something you want to go back and, listen you can do. THAT i know people that listen to Garden line on their. Phones they don't sit by a, radio they listen on the. Phones, well there you, go there's another way to listen to Garden. Line in the, meantime do check out my. Website go through. THERE i put some new things up THAT i think that you will find. Interesting for, example there's a publication Called Great, Gardens begin With Great, soil and it's all about getting that soil. Right there's one on herbicide products for my weed, wiper very helpful. Information there's another one on lawn carolina one good And nut Saidge an in, depth look THAT i was just talking about a moment ago