Speaker 1: Here we go, fred Rogan, Rodney Peach at five seventy LA Sports a big three hour show for us today. Coming up at one o'clock, Nick Nixon, who is retiring as voice of the Kings. He succeeded Bob Miller. Of course, Nick was a longtime radio broadcaster, then moved into the TV booth and dead did a simulcast. He's retiring after this year, and here's going to join us, coming up at one. David Vassalby in the program today at two o'clock Rodney, all right, you're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go. Come on, it's a hop day, Freddy, it's a hop day. Pity, let's go. All right.
Speaker 1: One hockey note off the top. King's beat Seattle last night doesn't matter. Kings now have the home ice advantage to play Edmonton and that series will start at the Crypt Sunday night at six thirty.
Speaker 2: That is good news. But this is not so.
Speaker 1: In that Edmonton game the other night, Darnell Nurse noted thug and Goon jumped on the back of Quentin Byfield and then crosschack his head into the ice. Did he hit him with a sledgehammer? No, but he certainly did it. It was apparent Byfield left the game. Well, the NHL was spoken, and you can't do that in hockey. So they're sitting in for one game. One Now, this is not the first time Darnell Nurse has done something like that. He's a dirty player.
Speaker 2: One game. That doesn't work for me.
Speaker 1: Sorry, what do you want them to be suspended for a friend the rest of the season? Oh, come on, come on, come on, you gotta let the players play for it. You don't want to. You don't want to.
Speaker 3: You don't want to suspend guys as you enter the playoffs, ready, you want them to be at full strength. Let's just go my guys against your guys. Let's go. Let's not throw guys out. Let's not toss Luca Dantage with ten minutes or seven minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Come on, we don't do that. Let the players play, let the stars be stars, and let him play one game suspension, that's fine, getting back out.
Speaker 2: We want him, We want him.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying we don't want him, but what I am saying is he's a dirty player, and at some point someone has to stand.
Speaker 2: Up and go that is enough. Darnell.
Speaker 1: We've had enough and one game does not work for me. It simply does not work. He deserves more than one game because he's going to.
Speaker 2: Do it again. Watch him. Watch him. If you go to the game, watch him. Just keep your eye on him. You'll see what he does. He's dirty and.
Speaker 1: He's spend it before fit. How many times is he a multiple, multiple or repeat offender? I mean, come on, I just looked it up.
Speaker 4: He's been suspended four times his career.
Speaker 1: In his career, Rodney, Yes, yeah, what are you saying if he was suspended four times this season to be different? Yeah, suspended four times.
Speaker 2: It would be different if it was in one season.
Speaker 1: He's a he's a hard nose, playing on the edge kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You don't want to suspend some guy some guy for the playoffs. You want all your guys there, if they're healthy enough to play, you want them all playing. There needs to be some sort of do you want to win?
Speaker 2: Like that rant?
Speaker 1: No, listen, whether he plays or not, whatever, he shouldn't play.
Speaker 2: That's my point.
Speaker 1: No matter who they are playing against, he shouldn't play. Even if they weren't opening against the Kings, he shouldn't play there should be a consequence to the behavior.
Speaker 2: Kevin.
Speaker 1: You said he was suspended four times, right, you look correct?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, do we know for how many games or we just know it was four times.
Speaker 4: I have every instance lined up here. So in March of sixteen, suspended three games for being the aggressor in a fight with the Santos A Sharks. All right, penalized for starting the fight before dropping gloves. In twenty twenty two, but that was in twenty sixteen, and twenty twenty two suspended one game for a headbutting Philip to know in the playoffs, remember that, you remember that very well. Yeah, twenty twenty three suspended one game for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of a game against Vegas. And then, of course the most recent one for Quentin Buyfield, that which came down last night.
Speaker 1: And you think one game is gonna suffice for him?
Speaker 2: You think one game is enough?
Speaker 4: Yes, the rest of the season is a little excessive, Fred though, I mean, you'd have to come out and literally start waylaying a guy with your stick, or do something like malice of the Palace status to be suspended for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what should the penalty be for a guy's on the ice and you hit him in the head, you cross check him into the head and his helmet goes onto the ice, what should that be?
Speaker 2: Is that? Okay? That should be a fine and in the game suspit okay?
Speaker 1: And Buyfield did not play last night. So one of two reasons A maybe because he's actually hurt. B Because if he played, maybe they wouldn't have suspended him at all. But let's say he's actually hurt. You know, in hockey, and I've always said this, and there was a train of thought many years ago, because it is a context sport, it's very physical and guys can be dirty and hockey, how about this. You are suspended as long as the guy you knocked out is out of action.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if Byfield misses four games, so do you. If Buyfield comes back in two games, so do you. It's not going to be.
Speaker 2: Based on who got hurt and that you were the perpetrator.
Speaker 1: And if that guy is out for the season, you got to be out for the season. Go to Cancun, right if it's a you know, borderline dirty play.
Speaker 2: But and you hit him up top, but he rolls his ankle.
Speaker 1: If you are this season, if we can look at this and say your direct action caused that, and it was not a clean play. Guy could roll his ankle and be checked into the board, it's a clean play. But if we can see you took your stick and hit somebody in the back of the head with it, and that guy is out ten games.
Speaker 2: Bite my tongue. That can't happen for buyfield. But let's say it did. Then you sit ten games.
Speaker 1: Right, If you go into the board and the boards and you're called for roughing and you hit somebody and they separate their shoulder.
Speaker 2: And they're out for eight weeks, you're out for eight weeks.
Speaker 1: If your action directly led to an injury, and we have the tape to be able to determine that. However long he's out, you're out.
Speaker 2: Make it fair.
Speaker 1: And by the way, when you're out, you don't get paid while he's out because you're hurt him he does. Why don't we just do it like that? I think that's that makes all the sense in the world. You get what you gave. Guys out two weeks, guys out two games, you're out two games. How about that? That seems all liable and fair to me, only on a cheap shot, dirty type of play. So if he legally checks you up into the boards and you get hurt, that's fine. That's fine dirty play. That's the penalty. We don't even need an office of discipline. We've just created the discipline. Whatever you give, you get. If it's dirty, and we know what it is. You hit somebody from behind, they go down, that's dirty, then you get what what you gave. However, many games are out, you're out. You don't agree with that, Rodney, Okay, what happens if he's not out? Bipill's not out a game?
Speaker 2: Right, right?
Speaker 1: So right, so here's that thing. Then here's the thing, good question. Here's the thing. You get for a dirty play at least one game, So you're getting one no matter what. Now the remainder will be determined on how long the person is out that you hit. So you got a game. Let's say Buyfield played last night, so Nurse would get one game and be able to come back. But let's say Buyfield miss four games, then Nurse has to miss four games. You get at least one for the act, and the remainder is determined on how long that person will be out.
Speaker 3: I really really really hate to say this, Fred, but that kind of makes some sense.
Speaker 1: Kevin, Kevin, we should sign off right now. Our show is going to be nine minutes long today. I don't think I've ever heard right and say.
Speaker 2: That it's true. That makes sense to mark that tape, yeah for the archives.
Speaker 3: Yeah huh yeah, Yeah. I was sitting there trying to rack my brain about why it doesn't. It's the dumbest thing in the world, Fred, is what you know normally comes out of my mouth when you, yeah, go on these crazy stories and rants. But I just, uh, I couldn't find it. I couldn't find myself to say it because it technically it kind of it does make sense if you put a guy out dirty and and it's unfortunate for that team that you're gonna lose their guy for a week, two weeks, three games, ten games, whatever it may be. Yeah, and you should be penalized too. You should be penalized too, because it could be one of those things they go after one of your better players and cheap shots him.
Speaker 2: And and and and they you.
Speaker 3: Know, the guy is now he's out for two weeks, and he's more valuable to your team than the guy that did it to their team. And and you know the guy gets suspended for a game. Yeah it should last two weeks, but what happens if that is the case. Though, You know they like they used to do the Marty mcsorley's of the world where they.
Speaker 2: Would go and rough somebody up.
Speaker 3: And or you got a guy on the bench, you know, like they do in basketball, he just go go foul out. I don't care what you do. Just rough the guy up. You know what I want? Six files and four minutes. You better get that.
Speaker 2: Fouls. Use every one of them, Use them all, use them all.
Speaker 3: And they you know, they they take out Yannis, you know, is taken out by the twelfth man on the bench, and and Yannis misses time.
Speaker 1: Then you know what you have to do there, See, now we have to expand the rule a little bit. So you're saying no seriously, So now you're saying you put the twelfth guy on the bench in you know, you see the coach talking to him. There's six minutes left in this quarter. You got six files. By the way, get the most of your time on the court because you're not going back in this is it for you? Yes, and I'm telling you you got six fouls go follow a minute. On the fifth foul, he takes out Yanna's. Yiannis is down in a heap. It's a dirty play. This guy's ejected. Yannis is going to miss how much time?
Speaker 2: Now? Four game or it's gonna miss two weeks. Now.
Speaker 1: We're aware of the fact that the twelfth man on the bench does not have the same skill set as Yanni's. So the Bucks in this case would get to pick the man that they had to sit for two weeks on the other team.
Speaker 3: Ah, okay, thet they get the choice, right.
Speaker 2: You hurt our guy.
Speaker 1: You hurt our guy, and certainly that guy we don't even care if he's on your team. So we have to pick somebody that we consider to be equal to our guy. And since you did it to us, we get to pick. I picked Kevin Durant. Feeding he's out for two weeks. Okay, okay. It's sort of like in hockey where the goalie commits a penalty and somebody serves it for him. Somebody has to serve this guy's suspension, right, Okay, how about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah again, Freddy again you're making sense. What day is it today?
Speaker 1: A day that will never happen again, That's what day this is.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: Let's look at football. Let's look at football. When you played, there were dirty plays, fair, yes, okay, And occasionally, as a result of one of those dirty players, somebody got hurt, right, okay. And if that person got hurt, that person could miss time to that point. Cheap shot, late hit, whatever, Yeah, okay, you got to take somebody out on the other side. You got to take somebody out on the other side. Now that I think about it, Let's say a linebacker. Cheap shots are running back of the running bats out. Running back is out for three weeks. Let's say that. Okay, the team that had the penalty or infraction committed against the Eagles. You're playing for the Eagles. Your running back is done. Linebacker on the Bears takes them out right, Okay, what do we do about this? Are we going to suspend the guy from the Bears. No, the Eagles get to pick. If the linebacker is an all Pro linebacker for the Bears, that guy sits. But what if it's some substitute they just put in, Then you might want to take out the Bears running back and you get to pick. You get to pick who sits. You get to pick who sits. You don't think that would clean things up?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I think it would. And and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would definitely clean things up because they would have to you know.
Speaker 1: They would obviously be a review reviewing body that reviews it to you know, determine if it was indeed a dirty play. And at that moment, yeah, okay, Eagles, pick whoever you want on the Bears.
Speaker 2: Is it for as long as our guys out.
Speaker 3: Or as long as our guys out. It could be late in the season. You're on a playoff run, right, I'm I'm picking your quarterback.
Speaker 2: Sit. No, but we'll have to quarterback slop.
Speaker 4: I'm absolutely pointing out that quarterback.
Speaker 2: You can't pick him, but you can pick anybody else. Pick anybody else on the team, and they have to sit.
Speaker 4: Let the stop, Like what if the player who gets hurt, the running back is not a star, they're just they're a backup or something like that. They get knocked out, and you know, they they might milk the injury a little bit and say, like, all right, if it's a division opponent, you know, and you know, say if the Eagles, let's let's just change the metric and say it's the Giants or something like that, and it's a division opponent, and we can take your star running back out. If Barkley was still on the Eagles and it was a backup on the other side for the Giants, maybe we have our backup running back who got injured, milking for a couple extra weeks and say, ah, you know what, your ankle's not right. I know it's been five weeks, but now it's still hurts.
Speaker 2: Don't it. It's still hurt.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, So less Saqua.
Speaker 2: Sit out for for a few more weeks. You can't do that, well, I believe you don't know that.
Speaker 4: You can't do any of this stuff I did.
Speaker 2: Were just spitballing this whole. By the way, do you know somebody.
Speaker 4: Would try to do that?
Speaker 2: They absolutely would.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say if I was a gem of a team or something like that, I wouldn't encourage it.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you. Listen, it hurts my.
Speaker 4: Opponent, it doesn't really hurt me that much because it's a third string running back they got injured.
Speaker 2: Most teams would do that.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, how you feeling. Oh my god, I have a bruise on my leg. I'm gonna be out for three more weeks. But it's only Kevin if it's if it's a dirty play, if he gets injured in the course of the game and there's nothing dirty about it, then no, it's fine.
Speaker 4: Even if it's a dirt it's a dirty play that the player gets injured. But if you can actually pick the other person on the other side, and the other person is generally speaking, deemed to be a more impactful player for that other team, you will absolutely pick them. And I'm just saying there are certain people that would say, you know what, let's let him sound an addition a week or two, let him miss an additional week.
Speaker 1: Absolute that would definitely happen if you will go, wait, man, we play them in three weeks again. Vision all point, we play them in three weeks, so make sure that injured last four weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to.
Speaker 3: Milk that an extra week so we don't see him by the time we play them again.
Speaker 4: And that's not hard to do, right, you know, like an extra week or two is fine. Now for talking about a national an extra month all right for a Naples tweak, Okay, sure, but you get another and one game obviously makes a big difference when you're only playing seventeen of them, so you know what you're suggesting.
Speaker 1: So the guy gets hurt on a dirty play and he's the backup running back. So now the Eagles get to pick whoever they're going to take out for the Bears or the Giants. So the guy that gets hurt, they examine him on Monday. This is your kind of thinking, Kevin. They examine him on Monday and say, you know what, we're gonna have to give it a little time and we're gonna re examine it. And then by Thursday, using your thinking, the press release comes out. We're going to do exploratory surgery.
Speaker 2: And we don't know when he'll be back.
Speaker 4: You know what it is, right, No, this is what it is. It's like, oh, you know what he's day to day. We'll give him, you know, a couple of weeks. He needs to rest it a little bit, and then two weeks later it's like, oh my god, then he needs the exploratory surgery. It's a resting And this stuff happened. This happened with Freddy Freeman. The offseason, I rested my ankle for a few weeks. I thought it would be great, and it's like, you know what, I needed a procedure. I mean, that's not Oh that happens all the time.
Speaker 1: But it has to be in a dirty play, No, sure, Sure, if a guy gets hurt, it's different. I think that I honestly, And the Starnell Nurse thing got me thinking this morning. I think that corrects this. And especially in hockey, Uh, where these guys you know, just line you up and tee off. I mean I remember Nurse and Tono when he was suspended a couple of years ago. I mean, come on, come on, that doesn't work because oftentimes the guy that gets hurt is out longer than a guy suspended.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, most of the time it happens that way. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean no, it's not fair. But but you're right about that. Oftentimes it's the guy that uh that you know, took the brunt of the cheap shot that ends up being out longer.
Speaker 2: All right, well, this is just something to consider. No.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Well, we'll get Gary Bettman on the hook and talk to him about that. Fred him see what he thinks about that?
Speaker 2: Can you call him? Sure?
Speaker 1: If we brought Gary Bettman on and I asked him that question, and we've had him on before, I don't know if he well, first, he probably wouldn't say a word for like three minutes. Therefore, we would think he hung up. When present hung up, he pressed me sitting there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he pressed the new button and started laughing before he jumped back on the phone.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, it's that movie.
Speaker 3: You know, guy's talking to his kids and he pretends like he did facetimeed froze the phone froze, gotta go.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know what Nick Mixon is going to be on at one o'clock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's ask him what he thinks about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, he has seen more hockey than anybody. Well, no, if've seen more hockey than him, but he has seen almost as much as I have. He's older than me, but I think I started watching before he did. So we will discuss it with someone that does it for a living coming up at one o'clock.
Speaker 2: Okay, so last.
Speaker 1: Night Dodgers, when we know that, but was a big question answered in the minds of the fans.
Speaker 2: Let's get into that next.
Speaker 3: That's right, home of the world champion Dodges on a hump day, Rodney Pete, Fred Rogan, and today you might want to mark on your calendar because in our opening segment fred Fred actually made some sense of a rule and he'd like to implement. Found it a bit shocking that I truly pretty much agree with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I think we'll do is every day for a week, we'll rerun that segment.
Speaker 2: At some point.
Speaker 1: I think that's the way to handle it. It doesn't happen very old, So I'm going to memorialize that. Right, Dodger fans, here's a deal. I'm not trying to be mean, but you know who you are. You know who you are, and heading into this season, I know that there was probably more than a small group of fans that wondered, why is Chris Taylor still here? Let's just be honest, let's be fair. You know that's true, you know, and for some of you, you wanted him traded, others wanted him just dfaid, and some of you wanted him to quit the game altogether, which, of course none of that was going to happen. And as I talked to people at times who were wondering about Chris Taylor. I said, he's got a year left on his deal. Let's see what he does. They're not giving up on Chris Taylor. It's not going to happen. You have to remember there was a time where Chris Taylor was very productive. It made a great difference and that's why they signed him to the deal. Got hurt and things were never the same. So last night, let's talk about it. He made a diving catch in center field and an RBI single. I know it's the Rockies, I got it. We all know it's still a major league team. Diving catch, good play, defensively, RBI single. Rodney Should the Dodgers give him a few more reps to really see what he can do? Oh yeah, I absolutely believe so. At first, you know they're gonna I think they're gonna have to as they try to continue to get everybody healthy. But I do, I've and we said this.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a it's a tough it's a tough situation because we do remember how valuable Chris Taylor has been for this team over the years. He's made some big time plays offensively and defensively. The play he made in Milwaukee, we went up, you know, on the wall and caught it on the track, had some big hits over the years as well. So it just looks like in the last couple of games, though, Fredd, it looks like he is I'm not gonna say he's all the way back, but it looks like he is playing with a lot more confidence and feeling like he's starting to get into somewhat of a rhythm. And you only get that by playing. I would hate for him to, you know, have this kind of okay resurgence and and all of a sudden, he sits for three weeks and doesn't play, and then he plays one game, and then he sits for another five games, and then he doesn't play again, and the only time he gets in is the pitch hitting the ninth and it just you can't ever get into a rhythm like that. And I know it's hard because there's a lot of players that you know, want and need and deserve playing time. But I still think he can play, and and I'm happy for him because he's a guy that you definitely root for.
Speaker 1: Front Yeah, yeah, you do root for him, and you just have to think back, which is hard for people. He didn't forget how to play baseball because he played it pretty well here for a while. He didn't forget it, didn't the skill set didn't leave his body suddenly.
Speaker 2: He just struggled.
Speaker 1: And I really think you got to see what you have with him.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 1: It's the final year of his deal, so you've got to let him play. And if he develops in that rhythm you're talking about Rodney, then you have someone who's going to be a contributor. But you know, if you let him play and the struggles from last year and don't forget at the end of last year, he started to come out of it a little bit. But if those struggles from earlier last year are back and persist, then you may have to make a decision down the road, But not now, not at this moment. He can't be as pedro Baiez was when they opened a bullpen game.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows.
Speaker 1: Oh god, no and Kenley, both of them got it. If you remember, it was terrible. You can't look at it like he's at the plate. Oh god, no, you can't do that. That that that's counterproductive. That doesn't work. Somebody touched me last night and said they heard the show they were at the Dodger game last night, and they were trying to generate the kind of excitement and enthusiasm as we described in San Diego the night before. The problem was I felt he was like alone on an island doing it. He said, But I'm trying now, I'm working on it out here. But I thought that was funny because I'm trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: And a big part of it is that, you know, obviously playing the Rockies, you know, and it's not it's hard to get up for the Rockies really, even for even for the players. Sometimes, you know, the Rockies coming to town, and and it's it's not conscious, it's you know, it's it's a it's an involuntary response that your body has. It's like, oh, playing the Rockies, Oh oh yeah. And you know I may not get to the stadium four hours early for the Rockies.
Speaker 2: You know, it's the Rockies. You know.
Speaker 3: This is where I get This is where I get back on track against the Rockies.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: But it was hard. I was at the game last night, and and you know, there was early in the game, I think they're there. People were excited, obviously, Jackie Robinson day and and and the things that they did, everybody wearing forty two. Such a cool, cool way to celebrate him. And there was some excitement in the UH in the atmosphere, but but again not not not even close to to what's happening in in UH in San Diego, UH at the moment. And again again like we just said about the Rockies, you know, they're playing the Cubs, which as the excitement too, because the Cup are going to bring their flavor and their fans and it's you know, probably getting into it in the stands, and and that just livens it up. You know, I guarantee you we play the Padres, that we play the Giants, it'll be a little bit more electricity in Dodger Stadium than it is against the Rockies.
Speaker 2: That's fair. That's fair.
Speaker 1: Tonight, as the fund and festivities continue against what ales of the Rockies, Bobby Miller will be back. Yeah, I think this will be very interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Look, before he got hurt, be honest, he looked like a guy that would be top of the rotation for you. Yeah, but he came back, he just couldn't find it again. His first start since last September. So far, six starts at okac, he's allowed six hits and twelve innings pitched.
Speaker 2: That'll work. That'll work.
Speaker 3: Twelve innings, six hits, ye total, Yeah, that'll definitely work. And hopefully he has found it and I think it's good that he is again, as you mentioned, no cure for any kind of helmen like playing the Rockies, and hopefully he can get it back, because you're right, Fred, when he burst on the scene, there was the excitement for him was much like the excitement when Walker Buehler broke in. You know, electric arm, guy could throw you know, one hundred and had had that attitude strutting around the mound and you know, you loved what you saw. It's like, this guy is going to be the ace at some point of this squad. And again, you know, injuries and you know coming back, whether you come back too soon or not. But he certainly was not the same after the injury. And then you know, confidence goes into it and plays a role, and he lost some of that and then did not even make the postseason roster. So hopefully he can get it back, because he is when he's on, he's got some electric stuff to an already loaded pitching staff.
Speaker 1: One more shout out. It seems like the forgotten man. Think about this. He seems like, I'm gonna tell you his name, the forgotten man. When you think of the Dodgers and their lineup, a guy that was hurt last year but apparently isn't hurt this year is Will Smith.
Speaker 2: When do we say Will Smith when you just.
Speaker 1: Talk about, let's look at the Dodger lineup, Let's let's talk about these guys can hit. I don't think we ever mentioned Will Smith.
Speaker 3: No, we really don't, are we do, But it's it's after we mentioned Taoscar. It's after we mentioned it's even after we mentioned Max Munsey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's after we mentioned Tommy Edmond. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when it isn't there's nobody hotter than Will Smith. I mean, I wouldn't say he's necessarily carrying the Dodgers, but he's certainly he's certainly keeping them in the hunt and had big hits when they needed them. And he has ten other He's ten for thirteen with runners in scoring position. We didn't take that. Everybody would take that. Imagine if everybody was like that, he's ten for thirteen. He's having a really good start to the season, and for whatever reason, he just seems to be an afterthought. And I think it's because last year was not his most dynamic hitting season. But again, no one knew that he was hurt and it was playing through something. And I think that happens all the time, Rodney. You look at a guy and he's like, what's wrong with him? What happened to him? And then you realize, no, he was hurt for half the season and didn't say anything, just gutting it out and trying to get through it. So this is great for the Dodgers. I mean, if Will Smith keeps sitting like this and then everybody gets back in rhythm here, that makes that lineup even more dynamic, war potent, more scary for opposing pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if you remember, I mean you talk about we just talk about Chris Taylor having big moments for the Dodgers. Will Smith has had some huge moments as the Dodgers have been in the playoffs the last few years. And but you're right when you look at that lineup and you start talking about the lineup, and we talk about this all the time, murderers Row they got these guys, this guy, they say, oh, yeah, they got Will Smith too, right, It's not like he's not top of mind when it comes to that, which you actually should because he's been steady.
Speaker 2: But I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Last you know, last year with the injury and coming back from all of that, it's just he wasn't quite the same.
Speaker 1: But he is off to a hot, hot, hot start right now and hopefully can keep it up. The five second rule. Now when I say that, what do you think the five second rule? Let's talk about it next.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, come on, yeah, that don't make you your head.
Speaker 2: I don't know what does.
Speaker 3: Today's Afternoon Delight is Boots Off by John Party. This song is one of seventeen songs that appears on the Sacramento native's new album entitled Honky Tonk Hollywood, which debuted over the weekend, and a Facebook post, the country star wrote, after about nine years, it's time for another Boots song, which is a reference to his twenty sixteen hit single head Over Boots, which topped the country charts that year and went six times double platinum again. Today's afternoon Delight is Boots Off by John Party and Afternoon Delight is brought to you by DraftKings. Pick six, download the DraftKings Pick six app and used the code Blue Crew. When you do, you can bet five dollars and get fifty dollars in pisick credits instantly. That's right, Code Blue Crew, better payouts.
Speaker 1: Bigger wins all season long only with Draft Kings Pick six. Remember this kid when you were young, Maybe you did this with your kids as well. I remember when I was young, and if you're eating, if you're carrying any kind of food, and it fell and it fell on the ground.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's all think.
Speaker 1: Back now, or think what you do with your kids. Somebody's carrying something, piece of food falls on the ground and you or the kids or whoever picks it up real fast, picks it up real fast. It wasn't down there very long, but you grab it and pick it up. What do you do?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: What did your parents tell you? I remember the old five second rule?
Speaker 2: Right? Whop? Ok? I got it. It's fine.
Speaker 3: It's the five second rule. Yes, you remember that, of course I do. I actually still do it. I still do it. Yeah, five second rule. For sure. You know it can't be anything. Nothing bad can happen if you drop it on the ground. For five seconds and you pick it up, right, nothing, Come on, Well, apparently it can't happen. Apparently it is a problem. Oh no, new researcher, it's fred I don't know even know if I want to know this.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's pretty simple.
Speaker 1: According to new research, scientists looked into it, and if you drop something on the ground and you wait two seconds to pick it up, according to this, it's still not good. If you drop something on the ground, just put it like this. According to this, it is dead to you. There is no reason for you to even consider picking it up. If you drop something, that's it. It's over.
Speaker 2: Now. I don't know if I subscribe to that theory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're saying, no matter what, if it hits the ground, it's gonna be a one second.
Speaker 2: It's done soon as over the ground is done. Right, it's done. It could be the cleanest ground or cleanest floor in the world, it doesn't matter. It's over.
Speaker 1: You should not eat it. I mean, I remember as a kid one time I got a hot dog at Tiger Stadium. I was really excited about this hot dog and I was walking away and I dropped it and I was so excited to get this hot dog. I was a little kid, and I looked down at that thing, and I had to make a decision. Do I pick it up because I really wanted that hot talk or do I let it go? And the hot dog was like seventy five cents and I'd spend all my money. So the guy who gave me the hot dog is staring at me, staring at me, staring at the hot dog, trying to make a decision. He then says, let me give you another one. It spared me. It spared me the decision of whether I was going to pick up that hot dog at Tiger Stadium or not. Rodney, I think I would have you got it, picked up the hot dog. Yeah, yeah, no doubt, no doubt. But you wasted time by staring at it determining whether you're going to pick it up or not. I was in a state of shock. It's like something just happened and you can't believe it. You can't react. You just have to stare at it. Yeah, but pick it up, person, stare at it, because I do that. You know, you pick it up right away and you look at it and go.
Speaker 2: Should I still eat this? Should I do it? Let me, twist it around, let me see if anything happened to it. Yeah, I'll eat it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think you're making a mistake for even twisting it around.
Speaker 2: If you go for it, you go right, You don't. You don't have time. I want to debate it, right. No, you're in or you're out. Now, it's good.
Speaker 1: We have Kevin here because he has the youngest child of our group, and we'll see what they plan on doing with Oliver. So, Kevin, what will your Lauren's plan b with Oliver in the event he dropped something?
Speaker 4: Oh, you pick it right back up and give it to him. Well, the way I look at it, too, is the world is way too oversanitize these days. So especially when someone as that young with a developing immune system, I want him exposed to as many things as possible within reason. If he drops his spoon on the floor for a quarter of a second, just pick it up and put it right back in the bowl and let him keep eating.
Speaker 2: I gonna kill Let me be fine.
Speaker 1: Obviously, you do not believe in the research project we just.
Speaker 2: Talked about what they know scientistic.
Speaker 3: Somebody gives you something like if somebody's cooking something for you, making something for you, like you just said, fed that hot dog. Yeah, and it probably was back in the day where people didn't wear gloves when they cooked.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they just they just gave it.
Speaker 3: To you and you ate it and you didn't care where if they had just went to the bathroom or they were scratching themselves somewhere. That guy made that hot dog handed it to you, and you don't know way those hands have been.
Speaker 2: That's worse than dropping it on the ground.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, If you go to a restaurant, do you want the chef to wear gloves?
Speaker 2: Do you care? I?
Speaker 3: Usually, I probably I don't care because I'm trusting that the chef has washed his hands and has done the necessary things to prepare my meal. Yea, So I'm not I'm not necessarily inspecting the chef for wearing gloves or not, because I again, I'm I'm I'm expecting him to do the necessary things.
Speaker 2: So you don't care. I don't care either. I don't care. I really don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you care, then you probably shouldn't go to go eating in one of some of the restaurants in Japan because they're fixing sushi.
Speaker 2: They're fixing things for you.
Speaker 3: They're not wearing necessarily wearing gloves, not all of my wearing gloves, and a lot of it is you know, working with their hands, preparing something for you.
Speaker 2: We went to a place and the guy shoved it down my mouth. Okay, yeah, really hope for me to hear that. A great place.
Speaker 3: Wagoo Mafya was one of the It's a very popular place in Tokyo and and just a small place.
Speaker 2: Chef is quite a character.
Speaker 3: If you do get an opportunity to go back to Tokyo or go to Tokyo, gotta go to Wagoo Mafia and the Wagoo beef. The stick that they make is just ridiculous. And they do the wasabi challenges and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, no, they make it and they they can do everything with Wagoo beef that you can only imagine in your dreams. And it's so good. But yeah, he makes these little sliders or he makes something else with it.
Speaker 2: He makes it tartar.
Speaker 3: I mean, he does a lot of things with it and throws the withabi on it and then shoves it in your mouth.
Speaker 2: And you don't think about it eating.
Speaker 4: Now, what if it bounces off lip, it hits the floor, they're riding here, you're picking it up and eat it?
Speaker 1: There it is? Did I did I tell you guys about what happened when I went to dinner one night there? Not to belabor this, but you know, and everybody at one point or another in.
Speaker 2: Their life has to deal with this.
Speaker 1: We go to this place where with these people, we walk in and it's not a regular table.
Speaker 2: It's you have to like sit down.
Speaker 3: Uh huh like ill like like across your across your legs and right it's small underneath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't do that. I gotta stretch my legs out. Okay.
Speaker 1: So I see this and I'm thinking to myself, this is going to be challenging. Now, for most people, you just sit down on the floor. But at point, it's sometime in your life you may get to a point where that's that's going to be a bit challenging just to gracefully do that. And when you get to that point in your life, you'll know, trust me. So I'm looking at this and I'm thinking, oh my god, what am I gonna do here? Because I mean, this could go either way. The simplest task could go either way, could be smooth and easy or be a catastrophe. So when no one's looking, I kind of maneuver myself and now I'm seated, and I am so happy I'm seated. I am there. I have done it and now will enjoy a good meal that led to the next part of it. Now I have to get up. Now I have to get up. There was hard enough, or I have a meal to go to leave, to leave, okay, so it's time to get up, and everybody's gotten up, and I'm thinking, all right, this, this is not going to be good. I have to come up with a plan to sort of gracefully get up without anybody knowing that given the position I'm in right now, it could be a problem. And you certainly don't want to say to the guy next year, hey, Rod, you.
Speaker 2: Give me a hand. You don't want to do that, right, They don't want to buy getting a way for it. Don't let pride get in the way of it.
Speaker 1: Man, come on, all right, but here's what I did, And you guys can write this down because you may need this one day.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting there, I'm thinking I got a problem. So what I do ensure.
Speaker 1: It seemed a bit extreme at the moment, but it worked out quite nicely. I kind of pushed myself back and then.
Speaker 2: I kind of rolled on my side, so I kind of just rolled to my knees and stood up.
Speaker 1: No one really saw that, and I gotta be honest, Actually some people did, and it wasn't quite as graceful as I pointed out.
Speaker 2: You probably you thought it was incredibly graceful.
Speaker 1: In my mind, yeah, I thought I was never getting up, So anything that happened after that, I felt fine.
Speaker 2: And how long was dinner?
Speaker 3: You know, if dinner's more than thirty minutes, then and you're sitting down there that long. Of course, for those of us at a certain age, it becomes more and more difficult, and that clock keeps ticking in your mind, going down. I've been down here for thirty five, forty five fifty Damn, I've been down here for an hour. I started thinking about how I'm not gonna get up from this day. That's exactly you start thinking about. Right, See, he was looking, who's looking? Who's looking? Let me let everybody else get up first, let me get thinks exactly.
Speaker 1: So here here's the thing dinner lasted an hour, and then it took me two hours to get up, and then everything was fine. Then in the evening went quite sparkling.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The Voice of the King's Nick Nixon, will join the program next. He is retiring at the end of the season. It's just a terrific guy. Terrific guy, part of the fabric of the La landscape.
Speaker 2: So Nick is on the show next