Speaker 1: The Raging Cajen's football team star wide receiver misses the first two days of fall camp practices. I'll tell you what I know here on Rag and Rundown. What's good, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome into another episode of Raging Rundown. All Cajuns all the time. I'm your guy, your Marcus Fitzpatrick, but you know you can always call me fits. And in today's episode, we will be talking about wide receiver Shelton Sampson missing the first two days of practice in fall camp. They have not hit pass just yet. I'll tell you what I know about the injury, and we'll talk about some of the players that are in behind him that are going to be getting more reps in practice that will give them the opportunities with him not in action. So Louisiana began fall camp earlier this week. Today is Friday as I'm recording this episode, and they have had two days of practice. So the first day of practice that they had was Wednesday. They reported on Tuesday. We spoke to those players and coaches for media days on report day, and then their first official practice was Wednesday afternoon. So on to and full disclaimer on Tuesday, we talked to Sheldon Sampson. He was super excited for the season and all these things around in those sorts, so it didn't appear that he was hurt at all that we knew of. So we get out to practice on Wednesdays, and the media members we are given a specific time window in which we are able to view practice where we can shoot video, take photos and all those things like that observe practice. And typically when we've been able to do that, it's normally been during their individual periods where each position group is sectioned off in different parts of the field and they're working on positional drills. Receivers running routes, quarterbacks throwing the football, tight ends working on block and so on and so forth. And so when we got out to the field, you know, I'm on the offensive side of the field. My partner at KTC, Anthony Counsel, is on the defensive side of the field. And so I make my way around the field and I notice in the receiver groups that Shelton Sampson is not there. And so as I'm walking back away from the field after the period was over in which we were able to shoot, I saw that Shelton was in a gray jersey, which, for those of you that don't know Louisiana, in their practice jerseys, defensive players wear black jerseys, Offensive players wear red jerseys. Quarterbacks wear gray jerseys which signify non contact, do not touch.
Speaker 2: Keep them upright.
Speaker 1: The only other players that wear those color jerseys are players that are not practicing and or injured players. So obviously, in our job as the working media, that is a topic that we have to discuss, that we have to ask questions about, because that is why we are credentialed. We get the access to ask those questions, to give you all the details of what's going on. We're able to do that. I unfortunately was not able to physically be in the room, but I sent my partner, Anthony Counsel, like I mentioned, to the press conference, and he asked coach Desimo what was going on with Sheldon Sampson. And here was the sequence of how I went. Sheldon Sampson not be out for practice?
Speaker 2: He tell us why is he injured? Just the reason why? And will he be out for practice today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's injured.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's out today. I don't know when he'll be back now full disclosure.
Speaker 1: After I saw the clip, I asked Anthony did he follow up at all?
Speaker 2: And he told me no. Anthony is very young in the industry.
Speaker 1: He's coming along, and so this was a teaching moment to tell him there should have been some form of follow up questions, what's the severity of his injury? Do you think this will keep him out long term? Because in that answer he says, yes, he's injured. No, he won't practice today. I don't know when he'll be back. So obviously I'm not telling coach doesn't know how to run his program, but he has very much been so very buttoned up, especially when it comes to things about this. However, for us as the media, it is our responsibility to find the truth, the answers to what is actually going on behind the scenes. That's why we have the access that we're given, and it is our duty as journalists.
Speaker 2: To get to the truth.
Speaker 1: So I did tell Anthony follow up next time in instances like that and ask those follow up questions to get more clarity on what's going on. So I made some phone calls around and what I was told is that during organized team activities and or OTA's which is just summer workouts where the players are able to do things on their own without coaches supervision. Sheldon hyper extended Disney. Nothing crazy, nothing terrible, but just to give you guys context of what it all looks like and just based on what I googled. A hyper extended knee. Typically the recovery time is two to four weeks if it's a mild strain. Moderate stream is six to twelve weeks, severe cases six to twelve months. Now, like I mentioned, because we don't know the severity of how this injury is, there's no timetable to know when Shelton Sampson may actually be back. The next time that coach Dez will be in front of a microphone will be on Tuesday of next week. They will left practice today here on Friday. I believe they practice again on Saturday, and I think they're off on Sunday, and then I think they have a closed practice on Monday. They practice Tuesday that afternoon, and we will talk to him earlier in the day, so I will be there and I will definitely be asking him, I was Sheldon Sampson progressing in his injury?
Speaker 2: What is the severity of it? Do you anticipate him.
Speaker 1: Being out through fall camp or will he be available for Week one if you had to anticipate now. I don't believe that this is going to be something that is going to keep him out long term. I really don't. This is just to be able to give us information on what is progressing as fall camp is going on. It's a major storyline. Last season, Sholdon Sampson was your leading receiver in all categories thirty two receptions, five hundred and thirty seven yards and six touchdowns with a long pass of forty five, averaging sixteen point eight per catch. So he was your big play receiver. He was all of what you needed last season and was a huge part of your offense and had really really good connections with Lunch Winfield there on the back half of the season. But it is just two days in the camp. They haven't touched pads yet, and buy all accounts what I've told you. If this is a mild strain in two weeks, you still have time before you play on September fifth against Lamar, so you have time for him to get healthy. This would be a lot more alarming if this was game week and he was in a Great Jersey that would be a little bit more alarming and if Dez was giving that type of answer. But that is the latest on what is happening with Sheldon Sampson. Now I'm going to step aside for just a quick second, and when we come back, we'll talk about some of the other receivers that are in the room at his particular position, what they will be getting the opportunities to see in practice, and how important it will be for them to get those reps. We'll discuss it when we come back here on Rage and Rundown. Hey, guys, thank you so much for tuning into another episode of Rage and Rundown. We're going to get back into the action in just a second, but before we do, if you are tuned into this episode on YouTube, please like the video, share it, and leave a comment down below. But most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review because that'll help us get in front of more raging Cajun fans just like yourself. So, with Sholdon Sampson being sidelined for the time being, the next question is who's the next man up and obviously, like I said, you don't have a game being played this Saturday, You're a couple more weeks away from the season. I think under thirty days at this point, so you have time for him to get healthy. I do want to make that clear. But in the meantime, you're gonna have other receivers that will be taking on reps that he would normally be assuming. So after I have looked back at some of the old depth charts from last season, Sheldon Sampson is considered your ex receiver, which is the receiver that lines up on the line of scrimmage in the offense, typically your number one receiver, and then you have a zero receiver who's lined up off the ball on the opposite side in behind Shelton. On the week one depth chart of what you had were two receivers, Landon Baptists and Cadarius Weide. Both of those guys will be entering their red shirt junior seasons, meaning they have been a part of this program going into their fourth season. Landon is a former quarterback at South Side of High School. I covered him in high school.
Speaker 2: Last season.
Speaker 1: He was six foot, three hundred and seventy nine pounds on the current roster if I can get it pulled up really quick to see if he is a if he's put on any weight, or if he's grown any taller. They have n't listed at sixty four, one hundred and eighty pounds redshirt junior. Like I mentioned, Cadarius weighed six foot four, two hundred pounds receiver. So those are the two guys that will be assuming that role at the ex position while Shelton Sampson is sidelined. It's going to be truly important for these guys to continue to get these reps. Number one, because the more reps you get, the better off that you have an opportunity to showcase your talents on game day. And number two, Louisiana doesn't have the type of offense where Shelton is gonna get twenty targets a game and thirteen receptions like they've always spread the football around. Obviously they are a run first offense, but when they are throwing the football, it's not just the one guy. It is across the way. It's with jet sweeps, across the way, it's you know, now even more so with tunnel screens and bubble screens and throwing to the tight end, like they are spreading the football around very much. So like even to that point, after Shelton Sampson, you know he has had thirty two receptions. Your next receiver was Kayden Jensen with twenty nine. This is all coming from last season. After that, it was Rob Williams with twenty five receptions, z island Perry with sixteen, Charles Robertson with fifteen, Trey Miller with thirteen, Brock Chapel with twelve, Landon Struggler with ten, Bill Davis with ten. That's kind of how it was shaping up. Now, the two guys that I mentioned in Cadarius Wade and Landon Matisse, in their careers, they haven't had as much of an opportunity, mainly because they've been behind some really good receivers in their career. Last season, Landon had two catches for fifteen yards and a touchdown. I do believe at one point he got injured and was then out for the year, so that also factors into this. And then for Cadarius, he had two receptions for twenty five yards with a long of nineteen yards. I believe that was in the McNeese game, so These are two guys that haven't had much of an opportunity to get burned in game, but now that they are in practice, they're going to have all the reps that they possibly can while Shelton Sampson is sidelined for the time being, so I'm sure that they will be trying to make the most of that opportunity. Just a little bit of some of the observations that I've been making in camp as well, there has been a lot of intensity early on in these practices. Coaches are emphasized that guys have to fly around. They are you know, pushing the younger guys to make sure that they're executing in the individual drills because obviously what we're seeing isn't a whole lot of contact seven on seven type of football. A lot of it is routes on air. You know, offensive linemen hitting the sleds, defensive backs doing back pedaling drills, and you know, catching interceptions through the air. Drills of that nature. But coaches are emphasizing, like, let's fly around, let's make sure that we are doing the most that we can. And they're not just emphasizing it to the young guys. It's across the board. If you know, coach Salgado was mentioning too. I think he was coaching up Cody Jackson if I remember correctly, yesterday. And this is not to call out Cody. This is just something I'm remembering off the top of my head, and he was talking about something in the drill and he was like, if we're gonna do it, let's let's go full speed, Let's go all the way with how we're going to present things. And so the intensity has been high. The coaching staff has been demanding in what they want to see from the players, making sure that they're executing things correctly so that it will translate into eleven on eleven drills, seven on seven drills, and ultimately.
Speaker 2: To game day.
Speaker 1: The way that the individual drills have been going. On the offensive side of things, the receivers will go down to the far end of where they're practicing on the field. They'll do rug routes and be catching passes, and then the tight ends and offensive linemen typically are doing combo blocks, so like the offensive tackle and the tight end are working zone blocking schemes, so they're doing that, and then the tight ends will move over and they'll work other things Eventually they work their ways into doing routes on air with the quarterbacks. The quarterbacks are doing mesh drills with the running backs, and then towards the back half of that, the quarterbacks are throwing routes to both the receivers and the tight ends. So they're working all these different things interchangeably together, and from what we have seen, the quarterbacks are making good connections with all receivers and the receivers are hauling those passes in. I remember getting a clip of video, which I don't know if Anthony Council posted it on his socials, but I do remember getting a clip of video where I believe it was Lunch that threw a high pass across the middle because they were driving into the end zone. They were working red zone passes, they were throwing it into the end zone. He threw one up to Jason Johnson. He went up and got it kind of pirouetted in the air and was able to haul it in. He had to go outside of his range a little bit to go and get the football. So there weren't a ton of drops from what I remember seeing, and they were running really really crisp routes from top to bottom the ones, twos, threes, four, so on and so forth. That includes kadarious way, that includes landa beatis And in fact, now that I think about it, I remember also seeing him run a route. It might have been a corner route or a streak to the corner the inZone. I remember him catching it over the shoulder and getting coached up saying, you know, a really good job, and things of that nature. So these are gonna be guys like I mentioned, that are going to get this opportunity with Shelton not practicing right now, and it'll be interesting to see how they seize the opportunity. When Sheldon comes back, he's gonna assume the role. He's gonna have to work his way back into it to make sure that he doesn't reaggravate that injury. But it'll be important to have these guys getting those rips for depth reasons. Hey, maybe Shelton needs a breather and it's third and five and you need a guy that's out there still that there's no drop off whenever you take your main guy out and you put in the two receiver or the number two on the depth chart receiver. So that's how things stand as of now, Sheldon Sampson is currently not practicing. I've instructed Anthony to check and see if he will be practicing today. I do not predict that he will be because unless there's just been some crazy progress over the last twenty four hours since that Q and A has been has happened, and also since their last practice, which you get in practice, then Thursday afternoon, I'm not expecting him to be practicing. But like I said on Tuesday, when Coach Dez is in front of a microphone again, I'll ask him the latest about that to try to get a little bit more clarity about the severity of the injury and maybe how the timetable will shape out any further for Sheldon Sampson. So that's going to wrap up another episode of Rage and Rundown. If you've made it to this point in the episode, thank you so much. If you're watching on YouTube, please do me a favorite. Please like this video, share it and leave a comment down below, but most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed or rate the show and leave us a review, because that's going to help us get in front of more raging Cajun fans, just like yourself. I'm your guy, JaMarcus Fitzpatrick. We'll see you guys next time.