Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: McDonald's saw a drop in sales in the fourth quarter of last year. Why they said sales and earnings fell. They're dealing with the fallout of an E Coli outbreak that hit domestic businesses last year. The company said the US same store sales declined one point four percent in the three months that ended December thirty. First part of it, they said, customers have been spending less money per visit. Another one is the slowdown in the pace sorry, the pace of price increases across some of the restaurants also contributed. There is a very dark mystery in France right now. An eleven year old schoolgirl was found murdered in woods south of Paris over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Found stabbed to death. Wow.
Speaker 2: They said she'd been missing since leaving school on Friday afternoon. There was a couple in their twenties that were Saturday as part of the investigation, but they have been released without any further proceedings, according to prosecutors. Weird, very weird, very unusual.
Speaker 4: More information on that all right, what else is going on?
Speaker 3: Time for what's happening?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well, the greened Land, the Greenland chronicles continue. They have hit back there Greenland and the Danish people. They've launched their own effort to purchase California from United States to hit back again. Trump's idea that he would acquire Greenland, the Denmarkification of California. It's garnered nearly two hundred thousand signatures. I would say that the people of California, or Lisa Liberals in California would love to be part of Denmark.
Speaker 3: I think that's funny. Good for them.
Speaker 1: They say that they would like more sunshine, dominance in the tech industry, limitless avocado toast, an easy access to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: What about tasty waves? There's nothing in there by tasty waves. Concerns are growing over the toxic waste sites that have been set up to deal with detritus from the Palisades fire. More rain, of course, is coming on coming in this week, so people who are living near will Rogers State Beach are worried that the rain is going to cause toxic runoff, that the runoff is going to end up in the ocean, and that we're all going to die. State officials exclaimed they chose the area because it's flat, it's open, it's near damaged homes, but not so near damaged homes. They can do basically as much accommodation, maybe planning for the potential runoff and then being able.
Speaker 3: To capture it before it does go off into the ocean.
Speaker 2: The district Attorney has made an effort to stop looting during disasters.
Speaker 4: Is it called enforcing the law?
Speaker 2: I had a friend, I still have a friend works for the DA's office who said, it's so nice because crime is illegal.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, right, so very weird.
Speaker 1: ICE is planning a large immigration rate in La This according to elitd memo. They say it's going to happen by the end of February. According to an internal document internal government document reviewed by The La Times, that they will focus on those without legal status in the US and those who have pending orders of removal. They describe the operation as requiring more bodies, which they say will lead to a multi agency partnership.
Speaker 2: Are they despite all of the concern have any of these finger quotes immigration raids taken place at schools or churches like they were? I know that Trump said, basically, those are not off limits like they were in the past, and everybody lost their minds because they said that they were going to start banging on doors of churches around and they haven't done any of that.
Speaker 1: I've heard about people that are here illegally that have killed people that have been taken away, or child predators, or people that have killed a couple of people in a duy crash as I've heard.
Speaker 2: That there is a researcher from Microsoft who suggests that artificial intelligence is going to put our cranking. It's already happened, our critical thinking skills at risk. Do you know your husband's phone number?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll say it off the air, right.
Speaker 3: No, you don't have to, and I trust you. I'm not going to test you on it.
Speaker 2: They said that with artificial intelligence intelligence growing in capability and popularity, humans are outsourcing more of their brain power to computers, and that in this case, it's critical thinking skills that are suffering.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you you my mother's cell phone number. Like I know my home number that they no longer have landline, but I can't tell you her cell phone number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know my kid's phone numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know my home number, it's the home number that we've had for twenty years. But I don't know my kid's cell phone numbers.
Speaker 1: No, wild a rare bloom with a pungent odor like decaying flesh.
Speaker 3: Oh not this again. Yes, the corpse flower.
Speaker 1: You're damn right. It has opened in the Australian capital. It is the nation's third such extraordinary flowering in as many months. The corpse flower is bloom for the first time in fifteen years at Cannaberra's Australian National Botanic Gardens on Saturday. Was closing on Monday. Corpse flower plants bloom several years apart. Three in Australia are in different climate conditions, so they're blooming close together with surprising You ever covered that at the University Washington at Washington. That's when I say somewhere somewhere, all over the place.
Speaker 3: It's awful. It is just awful. It is not.
Speaker 1: Why did you want to smell decaying flesh? Why would people flock to that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: I don't because it's weird.
Speaker 4: I'm about go to the dentist and get a root canal about that.
Speaker 3: Smell your own dcay, all right.
Speaker 2: Somebody did ask us, by the way, and the answer is, no, we did not feel the earthquakes in San Bernardino. No, they said a pair of earthquakes three three point five was followed by a three point zero. It would have been in the first hour of the show today, And no, we did not feel those. Somebody would have lost their mind. And I'm not looking at me here and Debra's not here.
Speaker 3: So there's that. You say, no, you did this for you, like you're gonna say no.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Hey Gary, how come every time you mentioned an ad from the Super Bowl yesterday, Shannon didn't. It wasn't she at your house? How come she didn't watch the commercials RON and Calcity Bye Bye.
Speaker 1: Well, it was loud. It was loud RON, and there was about twenty people there, so it was hard. And I also was in the middle of conversations with people and didn't want to be rude and then avert my eyes and look at the television screen.
Speaker 4: There were a couple times I wanted.
Speaker 3: To do that, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: My wife said, after everybody left last night, I'm gonna have to go back and watch the commercials. Yeah, and there already are plenty of videos that exist of people had super cut all of the commercials together.
Speaker 1: I find it very hard to pay attention to the That's why a game is so easy to watch with a bunch of people, because you can just kind of half watch it. You get the gist commercials. To watch them with a room full of people is very difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was.
Speaker 2: I had the volume and control and I kept turn I turned it up at halftime, and I was trying trying to ride the levels just so that I mean, people still wanted to talk, right, but a lot of people wanted to watch.
Speaker 3: And that's why there was a TV in the other room. Also, I don't know if you touch that.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: I found that out after the fact. Much smaller TV, you know, lower profile. I figured there were people who admitted they weren't there for the game, they were just there to socialize, and I could tell them to go into the other room.
Speaker 4: Deborah Mark was like a hostage at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to do assigned seating next year.
Speaker 4: Just assigned seating. I am not going to that one.
Speaker 3: Your husband had the absolute best seat in the house. Yeah, he's right center of the couch. He knew exactly what he was doing well, and he.
Speaker 1: Was sitting next to the most unoffensive person there and Julie Little that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easy. And then the dog came over and really liked her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the dog was very social.
Speaker 2: That's very it was. It was his biggest party to date. He had a great time his entire life. That was the biggest party he's been.
Speaker 3: Hy Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 6: I'd like to weigh in on what cartoon character Shannon is. I got he thought for a long time that Shannon was reminiscent of Beth from Rick and Morty. It's Rick's daughter in the show, Morty's mother, And yeah, I don't know. I just I'm not sure if you guys get the reference there. But Shannon definitely talks and acts very similar to.
Speaker 2: Beth in my opinion, Rick and Morty. That's what I've never seen in my life, nor have I.
Speaker 7: Roy Rogers was Coke and Grinadine, right, and Shirley Temper was supposed to just be seven up in.
Speaker 5: Grenadine back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never heard of this gingerrel crop.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was ginger el or seven up. But yeah, seven up seven up was probably the most common.
Speaker 4: What are we doing, guys, we're hating on Tom Brady's watch now, No, everybody knows he's worth three four hundred million, whatever it is.
Speaker 8: It's not like it's a surprise that that guy has a seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars watch. No, he's not allowed to wear it, nonsense.
Speaker 4: I just don't think that.
Speaker 1: You're sure, but I would just think it's a little toned up to be in front of the entire country wearing something that costs that much.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can wear a nice watch.
Speaker 2: But maybe go for the two hundred and fifty thousand dollars watch and not the one that's three quarters of a million.
Speaker 4: And the thing is, he probably thinks nothing of it.
Speaker 1: He doesn't think like this, this watch is seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. He probably just like goes to his watch drawer and picks out the watch that he's into wearing that day and just puts it on and thinks nothing of it.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm not a fashion guy, but that was an awful watch. I like the watch.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a good looking watch, But I like watches. You're not a watch guy. We've established this.
Speaker 3: It was yellow.
Speaker 4: I thought thought it was a beautiful watch. Oh my god, Shannon, I love the egg and the TP meme.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the one.
Speaker 6: That's got a picture of hard boiled eggs and baggies and then cash and then guns And it says I didn't.
Speaker 3: Choose this life. This life chose me.
Speaker 4: That's funny, funny.
Speaker 3: I love you gay like I mean.
Speaker 7: And Shannon just heard that you're gonna have a segment on egg hording. Just so you know, I'm coming back with one hundred and twenty eggs from Las Vegas, Nevada, and I got him for a really good deal. I also got six pounds of bacon for a really good deal. So yeah, it's this whole weird thing. And it's worse than La than it is anywhere else.
Speaker 3: Well, if that's true, our egg price is higher here than another place.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 8: Fights had to every Friday night, and my dad was always in charge of the We didn't have a remote, but he was in charge of what channel we watched. Yep, but he used to come home at lunchtime and watch bugs bunny cartoons with me. This is when we lived in Fort Knox, Kentucky, and I was three years old.
Speaker 3: It's a good moment.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 8: Some of my favorite memories. It's beautiful, Shannon, I'm much better person for having not watched cartoons. I hate let's not say, hey, I dislike cartoons except for like mister McGoo and what's the other one?
Speaker 3: Tweety bird and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: From old school. New cartoons are stupid.
Speaker 3: New cartoons. Yes, it can be awful, Carrie.
Speaker 8: I've just heard you say that you remember your home phone number.
Speaker 4: Do you really still have a landline?
Speaker 7: Question mark?
Speaker 4: Yes I do, Carrie, Oh yes, exclamation point.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I just have a landline, Okay, I mean I kept it for a long time. The only people that would ever call me on my landline were my parents, right, they haven't called in a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was introducing myself to your nephew and with your son and his wonderful girlfriend Maya, and I said, I don't I've introduced myself to your nephew. And I go, I don't know if we've met before. We may have met before. And then I think it was your son said maybe you met at a funeral. I was like, yeah, I probably met you one of the funerals, and then there was a whole funeral. He's like, well, I didn't go to Grandma's and I was like, I probably met you grandpa's. It was this awful. We all started laughing and we were like, okay, well anyway, good to see you.
Speaker 4: But so, who calls your landline? Now?
Speaker 2: My son has if he if he calls my cell phone and I don't answer, he'll call the landline.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got to say I was kind of upset when my mom got rid of the landline that they had for forty thousand years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm doing it so people don't get upset.
Speaker 1: I still my grandparents' landline, and the last of them died in twenty eleven, twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: That's a good memory right there, because.
Speaker 4: They had me memorize it, you know, as a child, as a youth.
Speaker 3: That's also smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seven three, one to eight. Success.
Speaker 3: You just gave away their phone number.
Speaker 2: Of course, Philadelphia was rock and last night fans took to the streets of Philly they celebrate after the Eagles dominated the Kansas City Chiefs forty to twenty two in the Super Bowl, just after the team's victory two years after they lost to the Chiefs. In the same game, Eagles fans looted a linen truck because why not, it's Philly. Fans were seen crowding around a laundry truck and throwing folded linens from inside out into the crowd. That's the way, that's the way things go. Rain is coming into southern California this week. Big storm rolling in probably Wednesday. We'll continue all day Thursday, and then taper off before we get to Friday, Valentine's Day. And they said it threatens to drop somewhere two to four inches of rain or more along the coast and in the valleys, four to eight inches possible in the mountains in the foothills.
Speaker 1: We talked about Trump and Musk's Department of Government Efficiency Doze ever since its inception. These are going to be painful cuts, necessary cuts. In many cases, they want to cut more than one billion in federal spending. The stated goal has been cutting as much as two trillion from the annual budget. Did you mention, Did I catch you saying Rand Paul Ron Paul Ron, Paul Yeah. Rand Paul Son is one of the people who likes to tally up, and it may because of his father tally up ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Government spending every year.
Speaker 1: The Foundation for Economic Education will be one of the megaphones to highlight what they're able to dig up.
Speaker 4: The report for twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Three alone number one six hundred and fifty nine billion dollars for interest on the national debt six hundred and fifty nine billion billion, because they can't get their book keeping in order. Okay, but then let's get to the ridiculous six billion to boost Egyptian The federal government spent six million and twenty twenty three to boost tourism in Egypt. They've spent one hundred million on Egyptian tourism so far. Now, who do you think benefits from that? Well, the people in Washington who have ties to the people in Egypt. And if you can throw in a couple million here and there in whatever bills that nobody reads, certainly not the American public, and then promise this to your Egyptian counterpart in exchange for whatever they're going to do for you, where they can go and say, well, I got this much from America.
Speaker 4: Look at me. I'm a shining star in Egypt.
Speaker 1: And then they just kick back to whoever slid that in one of our bills. This happens every day in Washington. Why wouldn't we want to know exactly what's going on.
Speaker 2: When I see that, or when I hear those stories or the descriptions of how much money we're spending on these weird programs Latvian tax policy or something like that. Well, what if it's just that's just a lot. I mean, it's a possibility show. It's just a lie. There's that they're adding work. So the oh, you know what we should we should do something obscure like lotviaan tax policy. No one's going to ask us about that, when in fact it's it's going to pay whatever some crook or criminal or other politician in another country.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: And don't tell mom a babysitter stead She writes notes in the petty Cash that she used the cash for real for expenses, but in reality, she was using it to buy pizza for the kids at home. It's an awful idea. It's it's thievery, is what it is.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was talking about the pizza is what I was.
Speaker 1: Talking Here's something else on the list training Department of Homeland Security cyber security people to be their best selves, a five year diversion.
Speaker 4: Excuse me to version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it is, Diversity Inclusion, Accessibility strategic Plan. It's training to have you go to speeches and to become your authentic best self. There's the thirty eight million dollars we gave to dead people in twenty twenty three. We're not even scratching names off the dole here, right, We're just continuing, contenuing to There was eighty four hundred dollars that the Department of Defense paid for a lobster tank. Eighty four hundred dollars for a lobster tank. The graphic novels the government funded for combating disinformation because comics for adults, right, Who doesn't want that? When you're being told by the government how to fight the bad information that people are telling you about said government sounds very Nazi Germany, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Ron Paul tweeted a short time ago, and again this is doctor Ron Paul, the father a former congressman. He said, Doge is ripping through the federal government like a tornado. This morning, it has been reporting that Doge sent out firing notice is to ninety four hundred USAID employees, leaving only six hundred and eleven. Democratic politicians are furious, of course, but we hope that when it's all said and done, all politicians Democrat and Republican are furious with Doge, then we will know that it was a job well.
Speaker 3: Done for the American people. Yeah, that was pretty clever, Pretty clever. True. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.