Speaker 1: Jan nine says it's going to be an overcast day to day if you light showers fifty six for the high overcast tonight, forty six for the low tomorrow overcast, fifty seven for the high cloudy overnight tomorrow night, forty four for the love come Saturday partly sunny Anahi have fifty nine fifty three Right now, let's hear about traffick Chuck.
Speaker 2: Ingram from the UCL Traffic Center the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center. It's home to nationally recognize pancratic cancer experts who offer personalized care plans and new treatments through innovative political trials called five one three five to eighty five u.
Speaker 3: SE see see slap pound seventy five. Continues to be a slow go through the Blackman split down to the lateral West found on the lateral, there's an accident your pad up that's backing traffic close to Montgomery Road. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: A thirty three fifty five KRCD talk station kick it off a little bit late, easing up the valuable time. Have one week with iheartmediaviation next for Jay rattle off time.
Speaker 4: I very much. Look forward to and welcome back. Jay. Always a pleasure to have you on the show.
Speaker 5: I'm never a problem.
Speaker 6: I'll be happy to wait until the dust settles, my friend.
Speaker 1: No problem Thomas Massey. You know, if I'm gonna yield any time to anybody, it's gonna be because Thomas Massey's on the will.
Speaker 5: No problem here.
Speaker 4: I figured you felt the same way.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get one under the belt and out of the way before we take a break. Passengers being rude. This happens more and more often every single day, not just on airplanes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, it's it's the passengers behaving badly theme.
Speaker 5: I think that's continuing here, Brian.
Speaker 6: It's the latest viral photo of a woman traveling in first class. She's got her feet firmly planted on the wall in front of her, thank you, and she's got her electronic device plugged into the u USB port behind her in row two. She was apparently stealing power from the passenger behind her. And look, I'm not sure if this entitled person had permission or not from the person behind her, or if she just took it anyway, But I mean, the picture of the deed has gone viral with more than a few unkind comments, and I'm thinking, Okay, I wake up from an app and I see the person in front of me as reached behind and stuck their power thing in my seat.
Speaker 5: What would I do was plug it? Plug it? Would I try to cut it? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I want there to be some serious consequences for infringing. And I'm not suggesting what people do, but I would not take kindly to it. And you know some people, if you comment on them, they don't care. I mean, they'll just go about it and it doesn't really seem to phase them, which is why I really think you need consequences for this kind of behavior.
Speaker 1: Well, I think just simply unplugging it, but I would also have and my own USB plug to plug into it, just so I can say, hey, I needed it, it's mine, it's my seat, you know, in case they got out of hand or root or something like that. But I think it's since it's in your space and it's allocated for your personal use, just going ahead and unplugged it and see what happens.
Speaker 4: Is aokay? As a response, well, when.
Speaker 6: You plug it, could you accidentally give it like three big Yanks or something, just to knock something out of her hands.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He sounds to me like you want to take it to the next level. Jay.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to be our next aviation story, obviously, but I'm just tired of people that, you know, reach over when they're in the aisle seat and slam down the window shade in front of the person that's sitting in the window seat, or people that just infringe on other people's space. And you know, it's one thing to kindly ask and that's fine, but it's another thing just to take it on your own to do it like you're entitled to the whole row, or not only your row, but the one in front of you behind you. So yeah, that's me just just not acceptable. And you know, this may have been a stage photo. I don't know, because a lot of times we see things on airplanes that I wouldn't believe had I not been there to see.
Speaker 4: Valid point.
Speaker 1: Always be jaded and cenecal when it comes to things on the internet. That's what Abraham Lincoln's advice always.
Speaker 4: Was, don't go away.
Speaker 1: I heard be the aviation expert, Jay rattlife, We'll be right back after these brief words tax Prepper above KARCIT talk station Jay Radlife, Has I heard me the aviation Expert? Every Thursday are on the fifty five Carscina Morning should beginning a thirty for a few segments. Moving over to San Francisco duking it out with Oakland? What's the story on this one?
Speaker 6: You and I talked about this briefly back in May, when the Oakland Airport officials were trying to find a way to get more people to fly into their airport, and they thought, you know, maybe people don't realize how close we are to San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for that.
Speaker 6: So what they decided to do was change the name of the airport to San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport. So they just took their same name of Oakland International Airport, slapped San Francisco Bay on the front and thought this would cause more people to recognize they're part of the San Francisco Bay area and more people would fly there.
Speaker 4: Well, it's an accurate description too, it is.
Speaker 6: However, is the San Francisco Airport trademarked?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Apparently there is some issue there because the San Francisco Airport started pushing back, but not before a lot of confusion by passengers who were heading to San Francisco saw the name San Francisco Bay kind of skipped the Oakland International Airport and they're landing at the wrong airport. They get off the plane and fight, We're twenty three miles from where we're supposed to be going, or twenty three miles from my connecting flight. Not a good thing. A lot of confusion was being created, and finally a judge has stepped in and said, look, for now, we're going to Oakland is not to be using the name San Francisco Airport in their name.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: Whether or not this temporary thing is going to hold or not, I don't know, because I mean, it's the San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport. So we'll see where it goes. Because I don't see that as an infringement issue.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, Well, we're.
Speaker 6: Just talking about the area that we're located in. But Brian, the good news is Oakland is getting more passengers. News is some of them weren't going there in the first place.
Speaker 4: That's really funny.
Speaker 5: But we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: San Francisco the city, there's San Francisco the Bay right yep. And there's Oakland, which sits on San Francisco Bay right, So a nice.
Speaker 6: Alternative airport if you don't want to mess with the larger San Francisco airport.
Speaker 5: And a lot of suggestion there.
Speaker 1: All I can say is, you know, I don't know a problem with Oakland doing it simply because it's an accurate name.
Speaker 5: It is. It's they're They're totally accurate.
Speaker 6: The problem is a lot of people that are flying to San Francisco see San Francisco Bay and they're thinking, okayur absolutely.
Speaker 1: Listen man, that takes some responsibility for your own conduct. I'm sorry, I'm gonna I'm going with Oakland on that one.
Speaker 6: One vote on the side of Oakland.
Speaker 4: There you go, call it whatever the hell they want.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: Uh, let's see here, spirit Air.
Speaker 1: I saw this article and I kind of figured you bring it up, wow, aka fire or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: A routine flight, I mean, you know, Frontier or excuse me, Fort Lauderdale flying into Port of Prince Haiti like they do every day, and the plane drops its landing gears on final approach, when all of a sudden, gunfire rops and they have to take evasive action. They fly out of the Haitian airspace over the Dominican Republican land and the pictures of the overhead storage compartment with bullet holes going through them, significant size, quite telling, quite horrific. But the issue here is, you know, we have probably four or five flights today that were going into Haiti on a daily basis with Jeff Blue and Spear and others. But Brian, back in early September, the State Department on their very useful website, and I'm being totally sincere here, they have travel advisories to places around the world, and when it came to Haiti, they were recommending not to travel there because Americans were seeing an increased number of assaults, robberies, kidnapping for ransom, and they added this little bit at the end uh the airport could be a focal point.
Speaker 5: For armed activity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, now this is early September, so now the airline'swhere well it is, And you know, Sherry flew down there after the earthquake and helped with you know, a lot of some things with the kids and different things for a week, and I was worried when she went. But you know, since then it's only gotten worse. And you know, now you have a situation where a flight attendant was slightly injured.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it was by the gunfire or the evasive action.
Speaker 6: And but you're also thinking, okay, how many people are going to sue Spirit Airlines because it's obvious that the State Department said not a good idea.
Speaker 5: To go there, you decided to go there.
Speaker 6: Anyways, the you know, the the advisory in early September from the US government said armed focal point, you know, armed activity. Is that gonna be something you know, people can sue over the day of the week. So I suspect that this is going to be interesting for Pirit, who's having a rough week anyways, because they're about to file for bankruptcy and their stock has dropped like sixty percent this week. Yeah, please don't buy it, by the way, And it's going to be interesting to see how things go. Now the FAA has stepped in and said no US carriers flying two Haiti for the next thirty days, as we kind of see if any of this is going to calm down, and I suspect it won't.
Speaker 5: And another good discussion.
Speaker 6: On this front is how many times have you and I talked about the people that say they want a totally automated flight deck. Tell me what that computer would do if it's getting shot at. I don't know if that would be part of the programmed response or not. And knowing a lot of these men and women in the cockpit are former military, some of which you have been shot at before. Yeah, that's the experience I went on the flight deck. If we encountered this kind of situation flying anywhere in.
Speaker 4: The world, well, I have to tell you.
Speaker 1: But I mean, the State Department did not outright ban They just recommended that people not go to Haiti. So again, cave im for you got on a plane Haiti when the State Department warned you ahead of time there could be armed activity, it's your issue. As for Spirit, they have no obligation to anticipate criminal activity. How in the hell would they know that their plane's going to get shot at.
Speaker 5: The US carrier.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I would say they're free liability for that. So once the State Department bans you outright from flying, if they fly down there, then liability might crop up because they're well, they're violating the rules in the FA regulations at the outset, So yeah, I don't think. I don't think they're going to have any issues with lawsuits, or if they do, they will be promptly dismissed. That's my legal judgment on that.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 6: I always lean on you for that, and I look forward to your interpretation of a lot of these things because I'm curious. You know exactly how exposed an airline would be on this, and you know, we've got people in other parts of the state that listen to us, and some have reservations on Spirit Airlines moving forward, and I mentioned that they're preparing to file for Chapter eleven bankruptcy. Right, if you have reservations on Spirit, don't worry. The airline under Chapter eleven is just going to go through a process that many US carriers have gone through, including United American and others. So from our side of the counter, you won't notice much different. You will see them change some of their routes and they'll they'll do some different things, but they're going to continue to operate under the court approved and I guess supervised Chapter eleven process. So don't let that prevent you from making future reservations or being overly worried about upcoming reservations because they will continue businesses as normal as they can. What really sent them off the edge this week, Brian, was they were having problem raising money and they went back to Frontier to see if maybe they could rekindle those merger talks. Remember it was the two of them a couple of years ago that we're going to get together. I really liked Frontier Spirit merging, and jet Blue kind of pushed in as the new suitor offering more money, and Frontier was kind of shoved to the side like a jilted lover to speak, while jet Blue isn't approved for the merger, and Spirit goes back to Frontier and Frontier says no, thank you. And that's one of the reasons Spirit is seeing the issues that they've been having this week announcing they're very close to filing for Chapter eleven.
Speaker 1: Well, and I see Southwest Airlines also having a problem. They were addressing their overstaffing issues, which is I guess this a sign of trouble.
Speaker 6: I guess they've never laid a single person off ever in the history of that airline. And when we came into the pandemic, that thought was, oh, that streak is over and Back then, they offered the opportunity for voluntary separations. It was an early retirement package for some of their senior employees and Brian, they had nineteen percent of their workforce, that is an unbelievable number step forward and said, look, we've had a great career here. I'm going to take an early retirement so the people behind me can enjoy what I had. So even through the pandemic, they had never laid a single person off. Now they're a point where the Boeing aircraft delays have really impacted them, and they've seen the service at certain airports shrink just a bit. I think Cleveland's being impacted by this as well, a lot in Atlanta and a bunch of other airports. Nothing at Cincinnati right now, and they're being forced to offer these early retirement packages, the voluntary separations to people to see if enough people will take advantage of it, ending their work the end of next month, December thirty first, so they won't have to lay anyone off. If they don't get enough people stepping forward, well, then Southwest is going to be forced to do what most other airlines have and the first time in their history as far as actually laying off some of their employees. And this is just a sign of the Boeing situation.
Speaker 5: A plus.
Speaker 6: Southwest has been slow to adapt as far as offering the premium seats and now the assigned seats and the idea of baby charging for check bags. They're going to have to do all of these things moving forward. So they're a little slow, and we're bonding, but least they're pointed in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Well, point in the right direction is better that we can better than nothing.
Speaker 6: All right, well slower, Hey, look, if there's anybody that can pull this stuff off, I'm convinced at Southwest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with you on that.
Speaker 5: I've proven it too many times before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've sung the praises many times over the years. All right, as we always then hub delays. How's it looking out there for air travel today?
Speaker 5: Jay?
Speaker 6: Rain? I mean, obviously a lot of rain. We've had issues in Atlanta, Charlotte's, Detroit. Those going to be the three airports hammered the most. Some of those delays already an hour. It's kind of moving towards the northeast. Might give us some headaches there late this evening, but right now, those are the airports that are fighting delays, and you know, anything west of us looks great. The problem is that weather that we have and it's moving towards the east and causing a lot of travel disruptions.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jay Riller's Advice ten and every Thursday at eight thirty for more of the same. Jay Rale if it's always a real pleasure to have you on the show, my friend, I look forward to next Thursday and between now and then as all always, best of health to you and your better half.
Speaker 5: Appreciate Brian, thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Color eight fifty two to fifty five cars the talk station Okawett for the Claremont County of