Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: In a few minutes, right after the first break. In this hour, we're going to talk more about the death of actor Gene Hackman and his wife in a very strange situation. Although the sheriff dog and a dog. Yeah, the sheriff has said that there's no signs of any foul play, but they're not ruling anything out yet because there are some mysterious what would you say, mysterious circumstance circumstances, yes, of what had happened there at the house in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Speaker 3: I'm Gary, and I'm a better baseball player than you.
Speaker 4: I go to baseball cap.
Speaker 2: I have never claimed to be a better baseball player than anyone ever.
Speaker 1: I think you did hit a couple doubles from what I remember.
Speaker 4: I did, but that doesn't mean I'm better than anybody.
Speaker 1: We have a run saving double plays, weren't you on the end of that.
Speaker 2: I do remember if we prevented the run from scoring. I mean, I don't remember. If there was a run.
Speaker 1: I do, and it was masterful.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Trump says Canada and Mexico tariffs will go into effect next week, after saying it would be April yesterday. We got clarification today. It's where we kick off swamp watch politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops. Here we got.
Speaker 5: The real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 1: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 3: So that now you train the.
Speaker 4: Swamp, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened.
Speaker 1: By what has been.
Speaker 4: You know, Americans have always been gone at present.
Speaker 1: They're not stupid.
Speaker 3: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Whether people voted for you were not swamp Watch, They're all Canada. So there were some questions about whether or not or I should say the timing of tariffs, when they would come in, whether the proposed tariffs on Mexico and Canada we'll go into effect, and when it turns out according to a truth social post this morning, which we've come to look at every day just to see what the day is going to hold. Trump clarified that in fact, those tariffs would go into effect on March fourth, next Tuesday, that China would also be charged in additional ten percent tariff starting also on March fourth.
Speaker 1: He's blaming the flow of drugs, specifically fentanyl that has not stopped now Mexico, no doubt about it, and there was about ninety six hundred kilos that were intercepted at the border with Mexico last year alone, ninety six hundred kilos. At the border with Canada, there was just nineteen intercepted. I'm still drugs, but clearly the issue is at the Mexico US border.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: Canada not known to be a major source of fentanyl, nor the precursor chemicals involving it.
Speaker 2: British Prime Minister car Starmer, the newb PM, is meeting with President Trump today. They're talking about boosting defense spending for both countries, talking about peace deal for Ukraine.
Speaker 5: We'll be discussing Russia, Ukraine, We'll be discussing Craine and lots of other items, and I think we can say that we're going to be getting along on every one of them. We've had a tremendous relationship.
Speaker 6: Thank you for changing the conversation to bring about the possibility that now we can have a peace deal, and we want to work with you to make sure that peace deal is enduring, that it lasts, that it's a deal that goes down as.
Speaker 4: A historic deal.
Speaker 2: Those two leaders are expected to hold a news conference the old fashioned two podiums and a lot of questions coming up in a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Trump was asked what he will do if Putin ultimately doesn't stick to the terms of that peace deal they we're talking about. He said, I've known him for a long time now, and I don't believe he's going to violate his word. He said about Trump, I do not understand that, he also said, or he was asked, Trump was if he's still thinks Zelensky is a dictator, and Trump said, did I say that? I can't believe I said that, he said. But the thing is is like the words they do matter, you know. It's like, take the tariffs alone, right like yesterday when he said it was going to be in April. It's like, you know, just things like that matter on the when it comes to the markets. You know, investors interpreted those remarks yesterday as a sign that Trump was going to continue delaying the tariffs. The value of the peso the Canadian dollar increased, and then everything went the other way when he clarified the comments today. So I mean dictator, not dictator. Tariff's in effect in March, in April, you've got a free, willing president. The way he speaks, they do matter. The words aren't just for our entertainment. They do matter, you know. Okay, that's wi.
Speaker 3: A female and male. Probably, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if there's somebody quick.
Speaker 2: That was a nine to one one call that led sheriff's deputies in Santa Fe, New Mexico, to find the bodies of actor Gene Hackman and his wife, Betsy Arakawa, yesterday afternoon. And that call was made apparently by a handyman caretaker who saw Betsy's body on the floor inside the house and went down to call nine one one had to escort deputies back up because apparently there's no street address, or it's a gated community or something like that. When the deputies got there and they found the bodies, they saw enough suspicious circumstances that they backed out of the house could basically just retraced their steps and got a search warrant on the off chance that this was more than just natural causes.
Speaker 1: So she is found in the back room and there's a pill bottle a bunch of pills scattered around her. Her body shows signs of decomposition, much more so than Gene Hackman's do. It appears from people in the know that she's been dead much longer than Gene Hackman, at least upon first glance. Her hands and feet are even mummified to a degree. He's in another room. It appears, according to the deputies that responded, that he kind of fell down suddenly. The dog is in the closet that's adjacent to the bathroom where the wife, Betsy was found. The dog, German Shepherd, found dead in that closet as well. The kids came out right away, three grown children Gene Hackman has, all from a previous marriage. These two got together in about nineteen ninety one. They were married. She's much younger. She's in her early sixties, so about thirty year age difference there. She's actually younger than his oldest son. But anyway, the kids came out right away and said it was carbon monoxide poisoning. Now firefighters and police agencies and even the gas company have come out and said there's no signs of that being the case. So what was the case? Is this something where she died first, and then the dog died, and then she died because she was so distraught about the dog dying, and then he dies he's ninety five from natural causes because he's in another part of the house. I mean, there's just so many questions about this. You've got three dead bodies, including a dog. Remember there's two other dogs found in the house that are perfectly healthy. Yeah, at least one found in the house, one on the grounds.
Speaker 2: Sources have told deadline dot Com that they had not been seen for a few weeks. Neither Betsy nor Jeene Hackman had been seen for a couple of weeks. Now, that might be too long for the dogs to kind of well, that would be too long for the dogs to go without having food. But the question that I have, or the sort of the scenario that could play into this is when it's ninety five years old, fully within the arena of potential dementia, and if something happens with his wife, who, like you said, is much younger, she's thirty year young, thirty years younger something like that than he is. If something happens to her, then who's there to help take care of him.
Speaker 1: That's really the big question too, I mean, if was she his caretaker, and if that was the case, did she try to, for whatever reason, try to kill herself with the pill? You just don't know how many pills she ingested, what the pills were, if she ingested any of them, or if she was just taking a morning one a day vitamin and fell down and died for whatever reason. You just don't know anything. You don't it's hard to speculate because you don't know what the pills were. You know, you don't know the state of the dog. And if she was the caretaker, then why would the family come by? If she's gotten things altogether and she takes care of things for a couple of weeks. A couple weeks is a long time when her dad's ninety five, not to make contact pretty long time. I don't know what the relationship is with him and his kids either. Yeah, but that's odd too, and that they wouldn't have help for him. I mean, even though she's a lot younger, she's sixty three sixty four something like that. If he's ninety five and he's a big guy, I don't know how she'd be able to take care of him on her own if that was the case, if he was well into dementia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's sound.
Speaker 2: I mean, the last pictures that I've seen of them were from a year ago, basically, when they were out for dinner somewhere in Santa Fe. The last time anybody that I've seen so far that says that they've spoken to either one of them in person would have been a neighbor who said that she saw Betsy Arakawa at the home decor business back in January, and she said at the time a gene Hackman seemed to be growing frailer, but that he was still painting and drawing. They were always so what reclusive, even though everyone loved to be around them. In my scenario, and again it's complete speculation because we don't know the details of it. Something happens to her and she dies. He either can't comprehend that or doesn't comprehend that. And if he died after a fall, which is what they said, it looks like because his sunglasses were next to him, like he had put him on to go out, or maybe was just coming back.
Speaker 1: I don't understand any of that, Like why you would base the fact that his sunglasses are next to him that he fell. I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion that quickly.
Speaker 4: Well, where do you keep your sunglasses?
Speaker 1: You don't keep them on the floor, but you could be holding them.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how they terminal if he's wearing them or holding them, but he had them. It looks like and does that mean that he was going out to get help or whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: Better when you're ninety five, you don't get out to go help. To get help, you call, you pick up the phone and you call nine one one right again.
Speaker 4: If he but if he's in the.
Speaker 1: Throes mobile at very few people.
Speaker 2: They said also that the door, like the front door was open, but no signs of any forced entry or anything.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's well a number one of the dogs is running around the property too, So uh yeah, it's not out of the drama possibility that she dies for whatever reason and he is ninety five and maybe not all there together, and he's he's got the dogs in the house, and he's letting the dogs out and what have you, and and then he succumbs to just being ninety five. Who knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't think anybody why did.
Speaker 1: The family come out right away and claim carbon monoxide like they had not been there, They don't know anything, And all of a sudden, they say, I mean, I don't know. I didn't hear the interview, but to be that definitive about your dad dying that quickly is just odd to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make a whole lot of sense. No, it's time for tech talk.
Speaker 3: The machines are getting smarter. This is tech talk, brought to you my sky net.
Speaker 1: So Alexa's begin going to become even more powerful in my household. I don't know if I can handle that. I mean, I will say this, She does handle things that I don't want to handle, Questions I don't want to have to answer. So it is kind of nice. We've kind of come to an understanding. It's just it's funny the way I hear my husband speak to her. It's almost like he wants to yell at me like that and can't, so he kind of takes it out on Alexa. Or you know your name, that's better.
Speaker 2: Mark Saltzman, our tech guru, joins us to talk about Alexa plus.
Speaker 4: What's going on, Mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, So I'm just returning from a coming out party for Alexa plus. This is how they're celebrating how Amazon is celebrating the tenth anniversary of Alexa, the personal assistant used by more than on the world. Alexa Plus is a much smarter Alexa. That's the bottom line. It's leveraging generative AI, large language models that have been all the buzz. It's all the age, of course since Chatchipt, but Amazon's been working on their own for a long while as well. So she's going to get a lot more intelligent, a lot more personal, meaning like not just conversational, but she's going to remember things about you and even proactive. So let me give you some examples of what we testro of yesterday in New York. And just so you know, when you launch her for the first time, you just say the wake word once and then after that you do not need to keep saying burning. It's more conversational like some of these other chatting platforms. So for example, you can tell like you Gary Shannon, you can tell Alexa that when you've got a food preference, like I love Thai food, but I'm also pescatarian, for example, and so when you asked to recommend some recipes to make it home, it'll remember all of that, even if it's a year down the road.
Speaker 4: It will.
Speaker 3: It may include a tie recipe with no beef for pork in it, for example. Or if you ask for a good restaurant to make a reservation, she'll recommend one based on proximity to you and number of positive reviews. It leverages data from Open Table, it'll make a reservation for you. Or if you want to take out you know, or whatever food delivery options, it'll remember what you tell it. It will access your calendar in contacts with your permission. So Alexa may notice that you have double booked your daughter's dance recital with picking up a friend from the airport same time, and so she will call that out to you.
Speaker 1: Maybe the day it's a real ding dong, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Mark?
Speaker 1: What's worse going to lax or going to the kid's recital? I mean, I don't know that those are two hotherful selections for my day.
Speaker 3: Well, assuming you would rather be at your dance recital. She Alexa may recommend that you book an uber to pick up your friend instead, and she'll book it for you and even text your friend up. Put it so that that's kind of cool where it can analyze it proactively, Eliza calendar and make those changes and message people you know. It could advise and summarize documents that you update blowed rather to Alexa dot com of a PDF from the hoa from your local hoa and in the future you can say, can I install ANALS on my roof?
Speaker 4: Am I allowed?
Speaker 3: And so we'll look at that docum that you uploaded in the past and she'll say, yes, but it seen from the road, go for it, or let me order it for you. You are the popular solar panels, you can buy it that kind of stuff. It could find video clips. If you have not just a smart speaker but a smart display, you can say, hey, did anybody walk Buddy today? Buddy? And she'll remember that Buddy is the name of your dog, Okay, and so Alexa then will scrub forward through all of the ring video clips from your home and show you if fog was seen and if anybody was walking him or so yeah, I deah. So it's a lot more conversational. It can create stories for kids, including images on the if you have a smart display, not just a smart speaker.
Speaker 4: So it was actually really impressive.
Speaker 3: I got to say. It was a two hour demonstration and then some demos after that. And it's going to be free for Prime members. That's otherwise it'll be nineteen ninety nine a month. It's a plus and it's going to start rolling out in Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the price point I know that. I mean you mentioned the price is there, nineteen ninety nine a month.
Speaker 4: The issue you don't have Prime.
Speaker 7: If you don't have Prime, my husband would never pay for his side piece.
Speaker 2: Well that's that's kind of what I'm saying, is that the send all these you know, helpers. They can do a lot of stuff. Does it really need to be that tailored for people?
Speaker 3: Well, it's just it's supposed to help you get more done in less time, right, it's supposed to be more intelligent. And you don't have to change how you speak to her either, like in the past you had to talk Alexa speak for her to understand you, or if you cut her off, she you had to ask it again, or if you said you stuttered now leveraging like hundreds and hundreds of other apps like Uber or you know, open table. I gave those examples.
Speaker 4: So it's just.
Speaker 3: Getting a lot more intelligent. It can analyze documents. Whether you deem twenty dollars a month is reasonable or not. I mean, I think that's steep. But if you are already a prime member, which to me, there's a huge value proposition there with free deliveries and same day delivery, next day delivery, and access to prime music and videos, you know, like movies and TV shows. To me, it's a no brainer. But I can tell you from a tech standpoint, price notwithstanding, it was really impressive.
Speaker 4: All right, Mark, you.
Speaker 3: Don't sound convinced.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not. I don't want her in my house.
Speaker 3: You could have the regular that's been the same for ten years.
Speaker 1: I support you not wanting her in your home.
Speaker 2: I just she needs, like Shannon says, she needs to know her lane, and I feel like paying her an extra twenty bucks a months.
Speaker 4: She's going to branch out and I don't need that.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding? She's going to be intolerable.
Speaker 4: Hilarious.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome back, Shannon. We haven't chatted in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: So good to hear your boys.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to hear your voice as well.
Speaker 2: Mark, Thank you, Thanks as always. Cheers guys, Mark Saltsman there. Make sure you follow Mark on Twitter. By the way, Marc underscore Saltsman because he's got great all kinds of stuff, great tech tips of the day, He's got his tech it Out podcast, all that stuff that you can listen to.
Speaker 3: I'm Gary. Have the best super Bowl pories with flacks, really great slack.
Speaker 1: He does have great sacks. I'm not gonna lie about that. I'm Gary. I'm a Jeopardy champ. I'm Gary. I don't like warm milk. I'm Gary. I pronounced everything right, and you.
Speaker 4: Don't, Cay Gary.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh my god, you guys are giving me life.
Speaker 8: Uh Gary, I could write Christmas Place way better than Ai.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, this is so good. Who ever got that ball rolling man? Who knew we were gonna wake up and get this joy today?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: Jary, I could write Christmas Place way better than Ai.
Speaker 1: Coming up later in the show, we are going to get into Love Gone Wrong, a woman who locked her boyfriend in a storage unit bombing suspects who tried to well blow up his girlfriend years decades ago that has finally been caught. Sometimes it's not a rom com that ends in love. Sometimes it's not a Hallmark movie where someone moves to the country and wins over the mom and leaves their city clothes for a flannel and ill fitting pair of jeans.
Speaker 2: Their sheepskin line denim jacket doesn't Sometimes it doesn't fit.
Speaker 4: Here's a new study.
Speaker 2: A new study from the Benioff Homeless and Housing Initiative at uc San Francisco, published in the medical journal Jama Gemma.
Speaker 4: Ready for this. Buckle down, people, Buckle down.
Speaker 2: Illegal drug use is deeply intertwined with homelessness.
Speaker 1: No, did I fall into a vat of idiots this week where all the news is just for idiots that have not been living for longer than five seconds in this world? Like, what are we doing here? This is all obvious stuff, right.
Speaker 2: This report does say, though contrary to common perception, only about thirty seven percent of homeless people are using illicit drugs regularly, and about a quarter of them said they have never used drugs, Which is crazy because you're counting on homeless people to tell you the truth about their drug use.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm Gary. I don't do drugs.
Speaker 4: I'm Gary. I have two Shannons. I'm everybody making fun of Gary. I like that twist, the change the narrative. There, I'm Gary.
Speaker 2: It's adults doing theater.
Speaker 1: It's not adult theaters.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're going to get the format right, let's do it at the beginning.
Speaker 4: And I'm Gary.
Speaker 1: I'm dictating the rules of the ucles.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'm Gary.
Speaker 7: Off the deacon read you.
Speaker 4: You know, a big fan.
Speaker 8: I think we need to equal some things out here and balance the scales here. Oh I'm Shannon. I get to travel around with a whole football team and have a dream job in the NFL and still have the job and can't find I still get to take multiple vacations all the time.
Speaker 4: WHOA or suspensions?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Oh I'm Shannon. I know I'm not a doctor, but I'm gonna give doctor advice, just trying to.
Speaker 3: Equal things out.
Speaker 4: Did you give doctor advice?
Speaker 1: I may have said something to the effect of, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: This is a fun story.
Speaker 2: Be careful, kids, when you're gonna about your illegal activities. On an airplane, a couple was relating their adventures in hunting to a pair of flyers in the row ahead of them. They got cozy. They confided they once hunted a mountain lion. They had a close relative was a big fan of wild animals that had been stuffed and mounted. So they had mountain lions and a wolverine and some wolves in their trophy room.
Speaker 1: Oh, they even said that they were smuggling the skull of an endangered sea turtle on their luggage on this flight. So now you're getting all yappy and braggy to people on a plane. It's gonna backfire, and it certainly did.
Speaker 4: Here's another clue.
Speaker 2: If they start taking notes while you're talking, you might want to shut up. Now, I'm not I don't know if they did or not, But the couple in the row ahead of them were under well plane closed California Department of Fish and Wildlife officers. They're fly odds flying northern California.
Speaker 1: If like two Sacramento from San Diego and this couple's from Chico, and yeah, they're talking about how they hunted a mountain lion and that they've got multiple taxidermied mountain lions, of wolves of wolverine, the whole bit. They even show photos of the room at home where the animals are displayed on the wall. So this couple leaves the plan and they deboard and they passed through TSA. They even go through the whole rigamarole of showing this couple the turtle skull in their luggage. Like these two people who work for the Department of Fishing well that they sold this whole thing. They were like, Oh, that's so cool. Can we see it? Can we see it? Oh my god, that's awesome. Oh when we land, can we like absolutely can see it, Like meet us in baggage claim. So there it was. They saw the skull wrapped up in their hunting gear and the carry on and so then officers later got search warrants for their home in Chico and the relatives home, and that has the wall of all of the all of the animals that have been stuffed and mounted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which included things like mountain lion claws, a ringtail cat, mounted barn owl, mounted raptors of course require permits.
Speaker 4: Everybody knows that.
Speaker 1: Here's a fun tip. If you're going from northern California to southern California, know that you're going to a new land. It's very different. People who may slap you on the back up here for having taxidermy things mounted on the wall, they may not feel that way in San Diego. I'm sure you and I both know several people that have walls just like this in their home up here in northern California. Can't find a lot of them in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised that they only got fines. All three of them did plead guilty to violating fish and game codes. They were assigned fines between six hundred dollars and eighteen hundred dollars depending on which ones were what stuff was found in whose home? And the younger couple, Byron and Shannon, they ended up they could be prohibited from hunting for a year as a result of their transgressions.
Speaker 1: So what kind of stuff do you have at home? You have anything stuffed on your wall? You got any skulls?
Speaker 2: No, that was never My dad had a lot of deer antlers when I was growing up, and I assume we still have them somewhere. I guess I haven't found them. But that was really the only that was. That was as close as we got to any real hunting trophy. I mean there were, they were hunting trophies, but they were his.
Speaker 1: I had a friend still do in high school. He had a truck, nice old Chevy truck and for the stick shift it was a deal a deer Antler.
Speaker 4: Very cool.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, I'm Gary.
Speaker 7: I was late to work today and I can't really explain why I.
Speaker 4: Thought I did. I thought I did. It was stuck in traffic.
Speaker 1: I am Gary.
Speaker 3: My daughter is going to be a doctor, a PhD scoreboard.
Speaker 7: Gary wins.
Speaker 1: Now we're going after the kids. Let's spump the brakes.
Speaker 4: Huge twelve o'clock hour is coming up. If you can believe that.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of the show, you can always go back and check out the podcast. Make sure you go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or anywhere you find your podcast.
Speaker 4: Just type in Gary and Shanner. We'll be back right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap