Speaker 1: I want you to transport yourself for a second back to the early morning hours of December twelfth, nineteen eighty five. Just try to paint a picture in your mind of two completely radically different places.
Speaker 2: Right, because the contrast between these two locations is really what sets the emotional stage for this whole thing exactly.
Speaker 1: So down in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the atmosphere is just electric. Families are up way before dawn. They're stringing decorations, They've got you know, welcome home signs painted, and they're all gathering on the base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're waiting for their loved ones from the one hundred and first Airborne Division to finally return. I mean, this is after a really grueling six month peacekeeping deployment in the Sinai Peninsula, and.
Speaker 1: It's just in time for the holidays, right, So it's incredibly joyous. But to really grasp the tragedy of this story, you have to contrast that warm scene with where those soldiers actually are if five point thirty.
Speaker 2: In the morning, right, and where they are is Errow Airflight twelve eighty five, which is this massive Douglas DC eight. It has just touched down to refuel in Gander, Newfoundland.
Speaker 1: Which is pretty much the opposite of a warm Kentucky morning.
Speaker 2: Completely. It is pitched black outside. The temperature is just hovering right at freezing and there is this brutal, biting mix of ice and freezing rain coming down out of the dark.
Speaker 1: So inside that terminal in Gander, you have two hundred and forty eight US soldiers and eight true members seeking refuge from that cold. You know, they're stretching their legs, maybe grabbing a coffee.
Speaker 2: Just trying to wake up and get through the layover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the accident reports note this incredibly bittersweet detail. Some of the soldiers are actually hitting the payphones, calling home to Kentucky, telling their spouses and parents, you know, we made it a Gander. We're just a few hours away.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Some of them are even wandering through the airport gift shop buying these T shirts that say I survived Gander, Newfoundland, which.
Speaker 2: I mean that just guts you when you look at the historical record of what actually happens over the next hour.
Speaker 1: It really does. So today, our mission in this deep dive is to piece together what exactly rock Down Airflight twelve eighty five, and we have a massive stack of sources in front of us to help us do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got the official Canadian aviation accident reports, historical analyzes of the intense geopolitical climate of nineteen eighty five, and crucially, an unprecedented, highly controversial, dissenting minority report from the investigators themselves.
Speaker 1: We are going to look at how two hundred and fifty six people lost their lives, but also explore how a deeply fractured investigation ended up costing even more lives down the line.
Speaker 2: And just to set the stakes for you, the loss of life here was so profound. Military historians point out that the one hundred and first Airborne, the famed Screaming Eagles, they didn't lose this many people in such a short period of time even during the D Day invasion in World War Two.
Speaker 1: Wow, that really puts it in perspective.
Speaker 2: It does. And we're attempting a forensic look at two myometrically opposed realities of this crash. Our goal isn't to take a side, but to lay out the evidence exactly as the investigators found it.
Speaker 1: Right, We're untangling this real complicated web of aero dynamics suspicion and Cold War paranoia. So, looking at the flight logs we've pulled for this, the actual flight lasted in agonizingly short fifty three seconds.
Speaker 2: Just fifty three seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's six point four to six am. The crew is cleared for takeoff on runway two to two, and according to their charts, they are aiming for a specific air speed to safely lift off right.
Speaker 2: The log show they calculated they needed to hit one hundred and forty four knots to rotate.
Speaker 1: Rotate, meaning to pull the nose up right.
Speaker 2: Exactly to pull the control column back and lift the nose off the runway. Now, Runway two and two is the longest strip at Gander, so under normal circumstances they should have this massive safety margin. So they have plenty of room, plenty of room in the cockpit. The pilots use a little physical marker on their airspeed indicator. It's called a bug. They slide that bug to one hundred and forty four knots so they have a visual target to look at while accelerating.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: But as they push the throttles forward and begin their takeoff roll, the acceleration is just sluggish.
Speaker 1: And sluggish in a massive, heavy jetliner that's hurtling down a dark, icy runway is a terrifying concept.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: The timeline shows it takes them four seconds longer than it should have to lift off, which I mean four seconds might sound completely trivial to us sitting.
Speaker 2: Here, but at that speed, four seconds means they chewed up over a thousand feet of runway before the wheels finally left the pavement.
Speaker 1: That is a huge distance to eat up. But the real terror, according to the data, sets in immediately after liftoff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the DC eight gets airborne and the flight data shows they reach an air speed of one hundred and sixty seven knots. But just two seconds later that speed.
Speaker 1: Drops and the aircraft is barely climbing above the tree line. At this point, the first officer is at the controls, and you can see his instinctual reaction in the data. I mean, the speed is dropping, the forest at the edge of the airport is approaching incredibly fast, so he pulls the nose up to try and force.
Speaker 2: A climb, which is human nature. Right, you're going down, you pull up. But the plane is, as one investigator bluntly put it. It's flying like a pig. It just isn't gaining altitude.
Speaker 1: A half mile past the end of the runway. The aircraft is flying so low, and it's such a radical nose up angle that the underbelly actually begins clipping the trees.
Speaker 2: Three hundred and seventy eight trees to be exact. They were mapped later by investigators to determine the plane's exact trajectory.
Speaker 1: That's horrifying.
Speaker 2: It is it was flying right wing low, nose pitched incredibly high, descending rapidly until it slammed into the frozen ground.
Speaker 1: You know, when I try to visualize what's happening to the aerodynamics when that first officer pulls the nose up, it makes you think of someone driving a speedboat trying to get it to plane on top of the water.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good comparison, right, Like.
Speaker 1: If you don't have enough forward momentum and you pull the nose of the boat up too high, you don't glide over the water. You just turn the hall into a massive wall.
Speaker 2: Exactly, You plow the water, You create huge drag and the boat sinks heavily back down.
Speaker 1: So pulling the nose up on a stalling aircraft without enough speed essentially turns the underside of the wings into these massive air brakes against the wind.
Speaker 2: That captures the physics perfectly. You are increasing the angle of attack, hoping the wings will bite into the air and lift you. But without sufficient forward air speed, the smooth flow of air over the wing detaches. As you lose lift, you lose lift, drag spikes massively, and gravity winds you fall out of the sky.
Speaker 1: Man and the scene first responders arrived at was just horrific. They described a thirty foot high, burning mass of metal and jet fuel. It didn't even resemble a Douglas DC eight anymore.
Speaker 2: It was total devastation.
Speaker 1: So naturally, the investigators from the Canadian Aviation Safety Board to the CASB, specifically David McNair and Peter Bog, they want the black boxes. They need to know what happened. But looking at their initial reports, they hit a brutal wall almost immediately.
Speaker 2: A completely infuriating wall for an accident investigator. I mean, they retrieve the cockpit voice recorder, hoping to hear the pie It's dialogue in those final fifty three seconds, and it's completely blank, completely blank. The device had malfunction prior to the flight and recorded nothing but.
Speaker 1: Static, So they have absolutely no idea what the true was seeing or saying. It's just a dead end. And then they go to the flight data recorder expecting the kind of detailed telemetry we see in modern investigations, but they don't get that.
Speaker 2: Either, far from it. Instead of a digital recorder tracking hundreds of parameters like flap sayings, engine thrust, control column inputs, they find this outdated model that engrieves data onto a slow moving roll of stainless steel foil.
Speaker 1: I was reading about these foil recorders in our source material, and it's basically the nineteen fifties technology. It uses a literal metal stylus to scratch lines onto a piece of metal ribbon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is incredibly primitive, and because it relies on physically etching foil, it only records four basic metrics, just four, just four speed, altitude, heading, and vertical acceleration meaning G forces. That is it.
Speaker 1: That is wild.
Speaker 2: They have no data on engine power, nothing on the pitch angle, no record the pilot's control inputs. The investigators are practically flying blind here, but they do have.
Speaker 1: Some basic math to start with thankfully, And they start looking at the weight of the aircraft. Because Arrow Air used a standard commercial weight estimate to calculate their takeoff parameter.
Speaker 2: Right, they estimated one hundred and seventy pounds per passenger, which includes the person and their baggage, which.
Speaker 1: I guess is standard practice for a typical commercial flight. Right, carrying a mixed demographic of men, women, and.
Speaker 2: Children, exactly standard average.
Speaker 1: But looking at the passenger manifest relying on that one hundred and seventy pound number seems completely absurd. I mean, these aren't average vacationers. These are two hundred and forty eight elite, fully grown paratroopers returning from a six month military deployment.
Speaker 2: Right. They're not carrying little carry on bags.
Speaker 1: No, they are carrying massive amounts of specialized gear, heavy boots, heavy duffel bags.
Speaker 2: And investigator David McNair saw that exact same discrepancy. I mean, he was an experienced pilot who had flown military personnel, and he knew one hundred and seventy pounds was a vast underestimate.
Speaker 1: So what do they find out?
Speaker 2: His team actually pulled the medical records of the soldiers on board to get their real weights when they factored in the gear and carry ons. The realistic average was two hundred and twenty twenty pounds per passenger.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a fifty pound difference per person. Multiplying that across two hundred and forty eight people means the aircraft was carrying at least twelve thousand extra pounds that the pilots had not accounted for in their takeoff calculations.
Speaker 2: That is a huge deal. The engines had to work significantly harder than the crew realized. Right, I mean, twelve thousand pounds is a massive dangerous discrepancy. But, and this is important, if we trace the logical through line, the weight alone doesn't crack the case because.
Speaker 1: The plane had already been flying with that weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. The DC eight is an absolute workhorse. More importantly, this specific plan had been flying with that exact same heavy load all night. It took off from Cairo, and it took off from Cologne, Germany completely fine.
Speaker 1: So if the way was the only issue, it would have crashed in Europe.
Speaker 2: Right. The causal link forces investigators to look at the environment in Gander, and.
Speaker 1: The weather logs for Ganders show that freezing rain. We talked about. Witnesses from the refueling crew noted the aircraft had picked up ice on its wings during its descent, but the crew elected not to de ice the plane before taking off again.
Speaker 2: And to understand the mechanism of why that decision was fatal, we really have to look at the wind tunnel simulator data the investigators ran.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: See, in the mid nineteen eighties, the aviation industry didn't fully appreciate how dangerous a microscopic layer of ice could be. A flight engineer might look out the window for thick, heavy chunks of ice that add physical weight to the plane.
Speaker 1: Because you think ice equals heavy exactly.
Speaker 2: But the danger isn't just the wave of the ice. It is the aerodynamic destruction.
Speaker 1: Our sources talk a lot about the boundary layer. Can you explain how ice disrupts that?
Speaker 2: Sure? So, think of a smooth rock in a fast moving stream. The water flows seamlessly over the curve of the.
Speaker 1: Rock right right.
Speaker 2: That thin smooth flow hugging the surface is like the boundary layer of air on an aircraft's wing. Now imagine wrapping that smooth rock in coarse sandpaper.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the water doesn't flow smoothly anymore, right.
Speaker 2: It trips on the rough surface, churning and bubbling up.
Speaker 1: It creates turbulence right at the surface.
Speaker 2: Precisely. Even a layer of ice as thin and rough as medium grit sandpaper on the leading edge of a wing drastically destroys its ability to generate lyft. It causes that boundary layer of air to separate from the wing far earlier than.
Speaker 1: It should, which is catastrophic on takeoff.
Speaker 2: Completely. So when you take an aircraft carrying an uncalculated twelve thousand extra pounds and you pair it with wings that have had their lifting capability destroyed by a sandpaper like layer of ice, the physics are insurmountable.
Speaker 1: Wow, so the aircraft was functionally doomed the second the wheels left the ground. It's a tragic but very clear scientific explanation. Weight plus ice equals disaster.
Speaker 2: That's what Knair's team concluded.
Speaker 1: But just as this ice theory starts to become the consensus among the lead investigators, the narrative takes this really sharp turn. The investigation plunges straight into Cold war paranoia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to zoom out for a second and look at the globe. In nineteen eighty five, the geopolitical tension is at a boiling point. The US military had recently suffered catastrophic losses in the Beirut truck bombings, and literally within hours of flight twelve eighty five going down, an oversees US consulate receives a phone call from someone claiming to represent Islamic Jihad, which is a branch of Hesbelah. They claim they destroyed the aircraft.
Speaker 1: And I mean when a plane full of American soldiers goes down and a known terrorist group claims responsibility, the entire security apparatus goes into overdriveing.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, everyone.
Speaker 1: Is on edge. And adding to the suspicion, the historical reports show serious anomalies with the cargo. There were large, unmanifested wooden boxes loaded onto the plane back in Cairo and we still have definitively know was in them.
Speaker 2: Plus security at the Kiro report was shockingly lax according to the reports.
Speaker 1: Right and floating in the background of all this are rumors tying the charter airline Aerowair to Colonel Oliver North's covert airon contra operations, which if you don't know was this massive shadow logistics network involving the illicit transfer of arms.
Speaker 2: So you have all this swirling around, and that environment of intense suspicion begins to fracture the Canadian Aviation Safety Board itself.
Speaker 1: It literally tears the team apart.
Speaker 2: It does. A faction of investigators emerges, led by a board member and flight data recorder specialist named less Photus. Photos looks at the scratch marks on that primitive foil recorder, specifically the deceleration rates, and says, ice doesn't explain this.
Speaker 1: Wait, so what was Photos seeing in the deceleration data that made him break ranks with McNair.
Speaker 2: Well, he calculated that for the massive DC eight to slow down as rapidly as the foil data suggested, it couldn't just be a loss of lift from ice, he argued. It would require WHI are a massive abrupt loss of.
Speaker 1: Forward thrust, like the engines just quit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He believed all four jet engines would have had to suddenly spool down, meaning rapidly lose their rotational speed and power simultaneously, and ice on the wing simply does not cause four independent jet engines to suddenly stop producing thrust.
Speaker 1: So Photus and his dissenting colleagues start compiling evidence pointing to a catastrophic event inside.
Speaker 2: The plane, and honestly, looking at their specific points, you can kind of see why they built such a compelling alternative theory.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just a wild guess. They had tangible things they were pointing to. Right. First, they had eyewitness testimony. Two truckers driving on the Trans Canada Highway directly under the flight path testified that they saw a bright glow or flames coming from the bottom of the plane before it ever hit the trees.
Speaker 2: And they believe that indicated a mid air fire or explosion.
Speaker 1: Then my immediate thought reading the autopsy reports was if the medical examiners found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the blood of some victims, they had to be breeding smoke while they were still alive in the air, right.
Speaker 2: The rebel investigators argued this proved there was a fire in the cabin before the crash, And.
Speaker 1: Then they also pointed to specific physical debris. They found a piece of the fuselage with a hole in it where the metal was curled outward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about if you push your finger from the inside of a sheet of aluminum foil to the outside. The edges curl out right away from you to them. That indicated an internal explosive force pushing outward, not an impact force from hitting the ground pushing inward.
Speaker 1: And then there's the engine debris. An independent investigator hired by the airline looked at the internal guide veanes of the number three engine, and if you picture the very front of a jet engine, right behind those big spinning fan blades you see from the terminal, there are stationary metal fins that guide the air inward.
Speaker 2: Those are the guide vanes exactly.
Speaker 1: They found dense on the leading edges of these veins, and one of them had a smear of bright red paint, so they theorized this was debris from a midair explosion painted red, being sucked through the turbine.
Speaker 2: So now you have a board completely torn into The lead investigators McNair and Bogue are watching their team fracture, but they maintain that every single piece of the bomb theory, the flames, the carbon monoxide, the paint can be explained by science and the brutal realities of the crash sequence itself.
Speaker 1: So let's work through McNair's scientific rebuttals because this is fascinating. They are looking at the exact same evidence and drawing entirely different conclusions.
Speaker 2: It really is a study and perspective.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the truckers. I hear them saying they saw flames in the sky. How does McNair's team explain fire coming from the plane if there wasn't a bomb.
Speaker 2: They explain it through an aerodynamic phenomenon called a compressor stall.
Speaker 1: A compressor stall what is that?
Speaker 2: When an aircraft is pitched up at a radical angle, starving for forward air speed, Remember it's flying like a pig, The airflow entering the jet engines is severely disrupted. The engines literally choke on the turbulent air.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when that happens, unburned jet fuel can ignite and shoot out the front or back of the engine as a massive tongue of flame.
Speaker 1: So does someone driving on the highway below. It looks like the planes on fire.
Speaker 2: Exactly In reality, the engines are just violently struggling for air because of the extreme noseup angle.
Speaker 1: That makes incredible sense aerodynamically, But what about the carbon monoxide? If the victims inhaled smoke doesn't that require a fire in the cabin before they hit the ground.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily. And this is where it gets grim. McNair attributed the carbon monoxide to the sheer intensity of the post crash infernout.
Speaker 1: Because it was a huge fireball on the ground.
Speaker 2: Right. The destruction was so total and the fuel fed fire so massive that victims who survived the initial impact for even a few chaotic seconds could have absorbed carbon monoxide during the crash sequence on the ground, not in the air.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see, And what about that mysterious red paint on the internal guide vanes the supposed bomb debris.
Speaker 2: So the Royal Canadian Mound Police actually traced that specific red paint to a front end loader.
Speaker 1: Wait really, yeah a tractor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, emergency crews use heavy machinery to bulldoze and move wreckage at the crash site during the recovery effort. The dent and the red paint happened while the engine was being shoved around on the frozen ground, not at a thousand feet in the air.
Speaker 1: That is just it forces you to look at how powerful human psychology is in high stake situations. Yeah, I mean, why did these brilliant dedicated experts split so completely well.
Speaker 2: The investigators were under immense pressure. The American military and international media were scrutinizing their every move right.
Speaker 1: Everyone wanted an answer yesterday. Yeah, and it seems like it is almost easier for the human mind to process that, you know, evil men planted a bomb to destroy a plane. Rather than accepting that a mundane, microscopic layer of ice and a simple math error could wipe out two hundred and fifty six soldiers.
Speaker 2: They needed a villain, and the geopolitical tension provided.
Speaker 1: One exactly, and that psychological pressure and institutional friction is what allultimately tore the Canadian Aviation Safety Board apart.
Speaker 2: It really did. When it came time to publish the final accident report, four of the nine board members refused to sign it.
Speaker 1: Four out of nine, that's almost half.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They took the unprecedented step of releasing a minority report. They included photographs of the inward curling fuselage. They openly alleged an in flight explosion, and even suggested a potential cover up by authorities who were trying to rush the investigation and avoid an international incident.
Speaker 1: Which brings us to the most tragic consequence of this entire story. Because of the massive media circus surrounding the minority report, you know, the dueling press conferences, the Iran kanfer rumors, the Hesbola claims, the actual vital safety message that McNair and his team were trying to screen to the aviation world was completely drowned out.
Speaker 2: It was completely lost. The message that a tiny amount of ice could destroy the lifting capability of a massive commercial jet was lost in the noise of the sabotage theory, and the aviation industry paid the price for that distraction.
Speaker 1: We know it was ignored because of what happened just a few years later. March nineteen eighty nine in Dryden, Ontario, another freezing winter day. Another flight crew, this time operating a Fokker F twenty eight passenger chet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're sitting on the runway while snowfalls, relying on a previous de icing treatment.
Speaker 1: Right, and they elect not to de ice their wings again before taking off.
Speaker 2: The sequence of events is practically identical to Gander.
Speaker 1: It is seconds after takeoff the Fokker F twenty eight cannot achieve sufficient lift due to the contamination on the wings. It stalls, it crashes into the tree canopy just past the runway, and twenty four people are killed. It is the exact same aerodynamic mechanism of disaster.
Speaker 2: If the industry had unified around the Gander findings, if the regulations regarding microscopic ice accumulation had been forcefully updated and drilled into pilots worldwide, without the distraction of a divided investigative board, the tragedy in Dryden might never have occurred.
Speaker 1: It's incredibly frustrating, and the aftermath of the Gander investigation was just institutional scorched earth. The CASB was so compromised by this internal war, and their public credibility was so shattered that the Canadian government disbanded the agency entirely.
Speaker 2: They had to scrap it and build a brand new investigative body from the ground up.
Speaker 1: But the most profound loss here, beyond the institutional failure in the preventable crash and Dryden, is for the families of the hundred and first airborne I mean I speak directly to you listening. Imagine being one of those families decorating a house in Fort Campbell. You lose your son, your daughter, your spouse, and because of the bureaucratic infighting, you are never handed a single, definitive, unanimously agreed upon answer for why they didn't come home.
Speaker 2: It's awful, the agony of living with two competing truths. Was it a tragic, avoidable oversight regarding ice or was it a targeted act of terror? Yeah, is a burden those families have had to carry for.
Speaker 1: Decades, decades without closure.
Speaker 2: The real safety message, as one of the dissenting investigators ironically pointed out years later, is that you have to get at the truth. But when the facts become a battleground, the truth becomes a casualty itself.
Speaker 1: Man leaves us with a lingering question for you to mull over. We crave clean, visible answers, especially when tragedy strikes. But in an era where geopolitical tensions are constantly high, where multiple actors might claim responsibility for a single event, and conspiracy theories can spread instantly across the globe, how can modern investigators ensure that the truth isn't drowned out by the noise?
Speaker 2: Right? How do you focus on the science exactly?
Speaker 1: How do we make sure the crucial, sometimes boring scientific lessons are actually learned before human psychology forces history to repeat itself.