Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Hi, this is Christopher Walking and you're listening to tech Talk Radio. I just think they talk kind of strange. It's gonna be wild, not as crazy as this show.
Speaker 1: Come on, Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Seanda Weird, and I'm justin leme welcome. Boy. That's been going on.
Speaker 1: You've been out for a couple of weeks, justin because DJing weddings and getting new products.
Speaker 3: And tearying my calf muscle. Yeah, how'd you do that? Dude? It was the most ridiculous. I was walking at water World on the last day I went with my family. We were just walking. I was walking through the park and a kid like cutting in front of me and I planted my foot wrong and I stopped immediately, and I heard a pop in my calf, and I'm like, well, there goes that calf. It hurt. I did have to get carted out of there because I knew I wasn't gonna be able to walk up the hill back up to the car. So being that I'm an employee of water World, I was like I went to one of those super advisor is my k can you just get one of the maintenance guys to get one of the golf carts and just like make me out the back gate, bring me up to my car and they're like, oh, yeah, no problem. But yeah, I've been wanting to go hiking with my family and the weekends I can't do that. But it's getting better solely, So yeah, that was that was one big thing. But yes, I did a DJ wedding and stuff, so.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. Well we'll get to that also, Sean. While you were doing that, Sean had sent me a picture last week of the control room. Now that's a control room at Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So Saturday we hosted our first home football game of the season against Northern Illinois University, which we lost.
Speaker 3: I can sense the pain in his voice, Yes I can.
Speaker 4: For those of you who are listening who don't know, I'm a broadcast engineer for the University of her name, so I handle the majority of live events that come out of the university. So note day football. If you're a fan, I appreciate you. But we're staying right now, so.
Speaker 3: I don't say that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but I said, I said, Andy I snapped a picture of control room, which I do typically in all the whole games.
Speaker 3: But what is that famous saying about football? It was the name of a movie. To any given Sunday, on any given Sunday, Yeah, any well, but for college it's any even Saturday. But anyway, you get my point. Yeah, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's it's been a while, you know. In this this will be this is my seventh football season and I'm in my sixth full year of working there. Everybody seventh football season.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: He sends me this picture of the control and I was like, wow, I showed it to Gloriam, look at that. But I was so excited to see all that equipment and all those monitors, and I think that's so exciting, Sean, I'd love to do that. And then he sends me a picture of an empty stadium. Just it's just sadness. It's just invoked the fielding of sadness. And what did what did you say in It's something like it wasn't good.
Speaker 4: It was a rough day. Yeah, so like you know, after it's like after this, after the event is over and everybody's gone, and you know, you can still see some people out tailgating, like, we still have to strike all of our gear and get ready for other events. I had to go down to where the truck, the NBC truck was and disconnect some gear and stuff. And the fastest way to get there is to walk across the field down to the other side of the building. And it was just like whenever we lose at home, it's deflating. It's just like there's a there's just a weird energy in the whole building.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, plus this team, there was something going on with this team too. It was like their first win over a top twenty five Is that how it worked?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah for the Huskies, you know. So for Northern Illinois was their first ever program win against the top twenty five ranked team.
Speaker 3: Well can you do? Right?
Speaker 1: I hope that it's better for Notre Dame and the upcoming games.
Speaker 3: I mean, hang in their champ.
Speaker 1: You'll get it next time for the Gipper. Now you say, Rudy, oh, Rudy, Oh boy, I saw that the other day.
Speaker 3: I thought of you, all right.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that I think is really exciting is when we get to try new technology and we know that Justin was pretty enamored with the Pixel smartphone and the new Pixel nine fold, and we you had said you had ordered it, but we didn't know if you were going to get it in Today you shared a photo on social media that blew me away. I'm like, no, come on, you did not do that. Is this something that comes with the Pixel.
Speaker 3: Nine Yes, So I'll kind of showcase it here. So this is the new Pixel ninefold and can open it up. Wow, look at that, you know, so I really do. Is there a crease that you see in the middle.
Speaker 4: There is.
Speaker 3: There is a little bit of a crease, and but you kind of get used to you can kind of see it right there in the middle a little bit when I tilted, But it is actually when you're looking at the screen dead on, you really don't notice the crease. And that was one of my biggest concerns was figuring out if the crease was going to be bothersome. It's really not. I do love the wide screen on it. I especially love it when i'm you know, reading the latest news and stuff with the builton you know, Pixel news app and everything. But going back to your question about this photo, Yeah, so the Pixel nine series, the Pixel nine the pixel nine XL. Again, they're all pros anyway, Pixeline pro, pixel nine PROXL, pixel nine pro fold. They leaned extremely heavily into AI, and so Gemini is Google's AI platform, And with this particular line of phones, you can usualize AI in so many different ways. And one of those ways is if you take a picture, you can just simply circle around your subject and then say tell the AI reimagined this photo, and then it will ask you what do you want it to be? And I can say, you know, reimagine this photo sitting on a beach, and it just it. It took about ten seconds and it and it made that picture. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe, like you took a picture, you had to take out the background and then you just put him in front of a you know, a beach scene, him relaxing on a beach.
Speaker 3: AI was able to do that for you. Yep, everything about here. But it's my coworker, Anthony, and I just took a picture of him sitting in his desk chair with his feet up. It literally just it. It was awesome. I mean, it took too amazing amazing. Yeah, and so I'm really interested to see what else it could do. But like another thing, another thing I can do is like if you if you are looking up, like let's say a set of restaurants or whatever, and you're looking up and you have a search result of all these different restaurants, you can just simply say tell the AI, hey, put these on a map for me, and bam, It'll just turn open the maps application and put all those restaurants in that little whatever search list on a map for you so you don't have to And then also with the search feature. One cool thing about this is let's say I'm if I'm looking at something on here and I'm just like, you know what, I really want to know more about this, but I don't want to have to type it in. I can just simply raise up from the bottom if I can do it. Actually, it's sometimes I got to get the I gotta get the motion down. I think it's you could circle it, right, isn't that you circle it? You just circle what you're looking at and they will then find it for you. Oh my lord. Yeah, I got to figure out what the gesture is. Is this going to be standard on all?
Speaker 1: So, like if I didn't want to get the fold or the flip, and I decided I want to get just a standard you know, pixel nine pixel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all it's it's on all of them. That that Gemini is that what's that's Gemini? Right? Gemini is the AI for Google. Yes, and that's gonna be it. Do you have to be a extra for that? No, No, it comes with the phone, honestly, it comes with it. Yeah. And being that I'm also a Google five subscriber, so that's my cellular carrier, and I'm a Google one member, I got so that the phone itself was I think it was twenty two hundred dollars. Yes, that's it's it's their flagship. But because i'm those five member and the Google one member, I got eight hundred dollars back and store credit just for buying the phone. Plus us I got four hundred and seventy five dollars trade in value for my old phone. So if you add that up, the phone ended up only being around what, I don't know THEO what's seven eight hundred dollars for the phone. So what I did with that extra money that I got in instant store credit is I also bought the pixel Watch three oh, which and now the Pixel Watch three is different because well it's the latest, it's got the better processor in it, but it also is forty five millimeters versus forty one millimeters of the last two models. Me, I have trouble. I'm getting older. I can't really see up close, so having the larger screen with a larger font on the watch actually helps me a lot. And I just got the watch in today, like literally just a couple hours ago. I got the watch in, so I'm kind of going through it, but I could already notice that it is much snappier. It responds so much better. They've redesigned the interface of it. I'm really liking it. I really do like this thing. And I've heard a lot of goods stuff about the Pixel nine series, and then we just had the news what is it today or yesterday that you know, Apple came out with their new line of phone. So you know they time these things to be in conjunction with each other. But I really really like the Pixel nine series.
Speaker 1: Well, the nine is shipping before the iPhone sixteen. I mean it's yeah, I mean people already have it. Yeah, you're not gonna be able to get the sixteen till the twentieth I believe of this month. Pre Orders were yesterday they started taking them. And you know a lot of people that are in that that Apple world have been saying, Okay, yeah, they're adding AI to it, similar to what Google has done. But you know, it's I was reading that they're very late to the game when it comes to their addition of AI. They're the last big manufacturer OEM to include AI and their device.
Speaker 3: Yep. And I think, you know, man, I just I'm saying what I've always said before. Apple They just they take whatever is popular with other carriers and they just copy it and then they release it as their own, saying oh, we invented this. This is what they do all the time. They steal from other manufacturers and they say, oh, yeah we did this. But no, they're the last ones to bring AI to phones.
Speaker 1: Whose AI is going to be better? Everybody has their opinion. Yeah, And we talked about this with Slick last week on Siri, the Alexa, you know, the all the other you know, different assistants that are out there, and the one that let's meet out.
Speaker 3: All the time has been in the past has been Siri.
Speaker 1: I've been I've been really disappointed with the results like that won't look up certain things or you know, it's it's just kind of it's been it's been less than I really wanted.
Speaker 4: Well, you know they're saying they're saying that in what I've read about the Apple AI stuff is that it's very their tasks are very narrow, right, They're staying within the Apple ecosystem, So like Siri, it's having Siri focus on specific, more narrow tasks like reminders, questions, home devices, that type of things like, instead of broadening out being more broad where the other you're getting a lot less functionality out of Apple Ai than you would with Gemini.
Speaker 3: Or other chat gupte or Claude. Yeah. No, and Google was that way. Google, not even just a year ago. Google was that way where I would ask the assistant a question and half of the time it would tell me something like, well, I don't know, but I found these results on the web, and it's like, no, I don't want to see the web. I want you to tell me my answer to my question. But now with the release of Gemini and they really leaned into Gemini, I'm noticing that I get more results of what I'm truly asking versus it just telling me I don't know, here's a web search right exactly, and that you know.
Speaker 1: I'll just give you an example last week though, this disappointed me about Google. You know, ways is owned by Google from what I understand, right, And I was trying to find an area out in the middle of nowhere, out in uh Coolidge, Florence. I'm looking for a school and I just followed the directions. It had me going left and right. I took a dirt road. At some point, I get up to a major crossroad and it tells me to go left, and I go left and I drive about maybe I want to say, a thousand feet, and it says you've reached your destination.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking around. There's nothing.
Speaker 1: There was nothing like, no buildings, nothing and maybe houses in the distance.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the heck? So I kept driving.
Speaker 1: I saw a guy in a work truck and I thought maybe I should pull over and ask him what I'm you know, for what I'm looking for? And finally I got to another highway, so I pulled up. I went ahead and pulled up Apple Maps, and I said what I was looking for, you know, And unfortunately it took me five miles out of the area that I was in, back to that road, back to the dirt road, back to that crossroad. Except when I got to that crossroad, it had me turn right and their fifty fifty seventy five feet away.
Speaker 3: Was the school I was looking for. That's interesting. I've never had that problem. Now, were you using ways or were you used Google Map? See Ways I've heard is not as good now. Google does own ways, but they basically own ways to get the traffic data from them, because that's what they're known for, is getting that live traffic data, whereas Google Maps is much better in terms of navigation, and they just rely on the ways for the traffic data. But why didn't it just.
Speaker 1: Tell me turn around? It's what I'm looking for is back there.
Speaker 3: It is very interesting because I've i've I've heard so much about the exact opposite where it's Siri or Apple Maps that are on that that's the one that's taking you off the edge of a cliff.
Speaker 1: Well, it still took me five miles out of the way because that was the fixup weird, you know, And I asked that instead of Google because I thought, well Apples, and it took me.
Speaker 3: Like, way way out there, I was. I was so disappointed.
Speaker 1: Luckily I did find it, and for the way home, I went ahead and I went to Google Maps and I used that to get home, because again I was taking side roads in the whole bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the majority of the time when I try or travel right and call me old school, right, but I like using Google Maps because it integrates really well with my Apple Car Play. But I still plug in when I travel, especially when we're camping and going to some of these more remote places, I still plug in. I have a garment movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I remember those. Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Because I paid for the perpetual license, I can get updated maps for the lifetime of the device.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I upload the maps to the USPS and you know, I just updated it a couple of weeks ago to the newest version of maps and it works flawlessly. So and there's if anybody has a garment neuvie device or a garment you can actually get if you plug it into your computer, you can get different sprites for your your your instead of just the regular car. I can out of the arrow. Yeah, mine's mine's an x wing.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, Well they do that on uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've done it with other voices too, Like we had Samuel L. Jackson drive me around, which is that was always fun, but he was always clean, so that was good. But still I don't know, so you're happy with that the Pixel nine, I will tell you justin I took the picture today that you had taken, and I said it to a friend who has been on the fence about getting herself a new device, and I said, look at the picture my friend just took with his Pixel nine and was able to use the the AI to recreate a different scenario.
Speaker 3: Sean. I put those new links in the chat there for you too, so you can see the picture now. And what did she say. She went and ordered it.
Speaker 1: She did based on that picture, based on the rumor that has been really good about it.
Speaker 3: Now we've talked about the fact that.
Speaker 1: The Pixel has had one of the best camera syste the new iPhone sixteen, which we will we'll get to in a little bit, that's supposed to have a pretty good camera ray. However, somebody i'd noticed, one of the people that had got their hands on it to take a look at, indicated that the camera system is a lot like the fourteen a little different than the fifteen but looked almost similar to the fourteen forty eight make apixel you know, sensors the whole bit. So you know, I don't know what Apple is doing in that.
Speaker 3: Another really cool feature. And maybe you could also tell your friend or just have her listen to this show ordered it. Well, yeah, but the pixel nine has I can remember what they call the feature. But let's say, you know, let's say you've got a trio like a family. Let's say me and Mesa and Eric, right, and I want to take a family photo, but there's nobody else around. What I do is I take a photo of Mesa and Eric standing there. Then I give her the phone, I walk into the frame and pretend to put my arm around where they were standing, and then the camera automatically stitches the photos together to make it look like it was one photo. Are you kidding me? Really?
Speaker 1: Do you remember when maybe you weren't there, when we were at the old other radio station at Tucson, And since I was there, you know, the guy who was kind of working on the website and doing their their social media at the time, I needed to take a picture of the staff, and I have pictures of everybody, But I had to catch the morning shows because you know, they leave right away. I had to catch them at different times and did the same thing with Stags members stags.
Speaker 3: I put stags in there, and I brought.
Speaker 1: In and I put myself as a little little photo up in one of the windows. So but I had to do that all all with photoshop, and it took seriously, it took, you know, half an hour to an hour to bring everybody in.
Speaker 3: This does it for you? Automatically? Yeah? Automatically. Yeah. You just have to be in the general area of where you want it to be and then it will just stitch the photos together and make it look like you were there. That's pretty dark cool. You're selling me on it right now. I mean, this is good. Try it and I'll send you the photo sometime. But I'll have to try it with with Eric or something and to see what it would be like if I were to take a picture with him and see. How about for video mode. You know, I haven't really done a lot with the video mode. I've done a couple of short little videos here and there, but I do know that they have a new night mode video mode, so it will lower down the contrast, and it helps with low light videos, which that was a problem in the past with with the video mode. Is just a lot of times it was just too darn dark. Now it'll it'll take it more with it with a tone down so you can actually see better.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say the and the Samsung Galaxy smartphone that I looked at, I took a picture in almost zero lighting and it came out great.
Speaker 3: So again, you know you Sun does a great phone too. Both worlds all right.
Speaker 1: So so justin say, now you were going from an Android device to an Android device. If somebody is like an iPhone and they're listening to this and they've had an iPhone forever, or maybe they've got you know, uh moto z or an old device that's an Android, how easy easy to transfer the data? I know with Apple it's super easy when you want to upgrade your phones and whatnot, But how is it for the Android platform.
Speaker 3: Well, going being that I went from a pixel to a pixel, it is actually really simple. I literally just had one pixel sitting next to the other pixel. They connected to an ad hoc Wi Fi together and they just started transferring all the data over and it was able to transfer all the apps, all my chat history, search history, basically just make an exact replica of my old phone with in about twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Now, what about what about memory size as far as because I know like for the new iPhone you go one twenty eight, two fifty six, five twelve and one terabyte.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I did not go for the largest size. It was just too darn expensive. But I think mine is one hundred and twenty eight gig. And I honestly, I really don't put a lot on there. I mean I put a couple apps and then it's mostly just photos and and web searches really, so I don't really need all that extra space that they, you know, provide with the five twelve or the one terabyte models. Wow, Sean, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just know that there's a lot to upgrade coming up for phones. So here and justin talk about the androids and stuff, right, it gets you thinking, Yeah, you gotta remember how ingrained these devices are in your life. Right, It's like how convenient is it for you?
Speaker 3: Look at what Andy put you in your show notes. There you put down that study that was done. Where did it go? There? It said there was a study about how much we spend on our on our phones.
Speaker 4: Oh, you spend almost eleven thousand days staring at our phones or computers.
Speaker 3: That is that is ridiculous. Yeah, but I haven't seen a lot of people say that they actually switched from the iPhone to the Pixel nine and they said they'll they'll never go back, like they said, it just it's an amazing device.
Speaker 1: And for those and this used to be an argument justin and people have said that that when you have a husband and wife or the kids, and you know, the family, that when they send the message, the text message, you could tell.
Speaker 3: When they read it.
Speaker 1: Oh, like with the Apple interface, you know, if everybody has an Apple device, you could see, oh they read my message right.
Speaker 3: Well, you can do that with all androids too. But now cross platform you cross platform or WhatsApp.
Speaker 1: Some people have said let's use what's app as a way to do that and you could still see. So I mean, you don't have to stick with that that that can't really be an argument anymore because technology has opened up. I'm just I'm so amazed at the AI features that are a part of the Pixel I want to see, you know, did Apple do something really amazing with their Apple Intelligence. You know, say never called it artificial intelligence during the during their their big glow glow time event.
Speaker 3: Of course they didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Apple Intelligence AI.
Speaker 3: That's what it means. Apple.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, we'll have to see, you know, it was funny I didn't.
Speaker 4: They're the master, the masters of branding, right. They're they're gonna just get people to think that when they say I AI, they're they're pulling the cleanex of tissues, right, They're trying to get people to think Apple AI or Apple Intelligence that is AI, right, that they're they're trying to become the household day for AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, yeah, exactly. Now. I did see a couple of you know, funny memes about you know, the Apple event, and it was there was one guy that was on X and he was he kept tweeting. He was like the new Apple iPhone this, and then he was like wait, next week was no, wait, hold on, there's another one. Actually, hold on, wait no, wait no, there's another one. Wait, hold on, there's another one. And then the last one was like I think I was talking about the Apple Watch and they're like it's the thinnest Apple Watch ever. Yeah, and it was it was a person with their glasses on, like looking like straining to look, and the watch was like one not even a millimeter thicker or thinner than the old one. And it's like you're touting that it's the thinnest one ever and it's not even a millimeter thinner than the last model. Like that's not that's negligible. There's series there's series ten. Now.
Speaker 1: One thing I will say they are promising with the sixteens, better camera system, better battery life, which we hear, you know, quite a bit, better ram that's to work the Apple intelligence. So I'll have to see how that plays out, you know. I mean, I've been an Apple guy for years. I like Apple, I really do. But i mean, based on what I've seen so far from Pixel I'm like, I might want to give it a spin and and take a look at it and try it out.
Speaker 3: I don't think you would be disappointed. Honestly, it's an amazing phone.
Speaker 4: This is just very underwhelming from the Apple. Yeah, underwhelming, right, And there are a dozen articles at least just saying well, I think part of it too. There's there. It's like a mid season refresh for a car, right.
Speaker 3: It's like, I think that's the problem with Apple now. They've gotten too comfortable with their status. They think it doesn't matter what we do, people are gonna buy it. So they can just walk out there and be like, Yep, here's your new phone by mic Drop and people are gonna buy it. That's basically what they did. They walked out mic Drop. People are gonna bite anyway.
Speaker 1: They did announce some new what they're called, and this was confusing their airpod's Max. I don't know if you saw this their headphones, but they're calling them air pods Max.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but their headphones. What do you guys doing here? Do you know what pod means? Yes?
Speaker 4: But you can get them in new fancy colors like mid bull orange and starlight.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: That that makes up for all the mislive.
Speaker 4: USBC charging because the EU for suit.
Speaker 3: But yes, YESBC on it.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: They fought that for so long and they finally lost that one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, one other thing that though, I do like this, and I like the health features of the Apple Watch, and I'm wondering your pixel Watch justin do you have health features like you could check your heartbeat.
Speaker 3: You could check blood oxygen all that stuff. So, I mean, obviously Google did buy Fitbit multitude of years ago.
Speaker 1: They're not making fit bit anymore. They said that they're done with yep.
Speaker 3: They they they have fully ingrained Fitbit into the pixel community now, so it's gonna be the Pixel watches no longer Fitbit anything. I know my pixel Watch one didn't have the oxygen sensor, but again, I just got this watch today, so I don't know if it has the oxygen sensor on this one. I know it does have heart rate, it does have step count, it does have sleep tracking, which you know, all those were part of the pixel Watch one, but I don't know at this moment. I haven't seen anything about two sensor yet. So and that if I find that out, I'll let you know.
Speaker 1: That's my other downside that I've ingrained in the Apple interface. I've got the Series nine Apple Watch, So if I go pixel, what do I do with that? No, because use it as a watch, right'. I don't know if it's gonna is it going to communicate?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it will because Fitbit and Apple, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: One of the other health features that he did like is the AirPods Pro two. These are they're actually not only as listening devices for music or podcasts like this show or radio show streaming, they're also a hearing aid. And I thought that was a pretty good idea for Apple to do. They keep, you know, working towards the health features, So that is something I thought was kind of neat. We'll have to see, you know, will people jump onto those. But here's a big question, and Sean, this is a good one for you talking about how people have said that they're just not really enthralled by the Apple Intelligence. Do you think it's like them throwing the Apple Intelligence onto the device and telling people here, you know, it's part of your device.
Speaker 3: Now, do people really want that?
Speaker 4: I think they have to to stay competitives, right. I think they have to and they're not going to adopt a third party AI. They just won't. They have to come up with their own. And I think the AI race forced their hand, and I think they had to put out AI on the iPhone sixteen. They have waited absolutely well, didn't they had They had to? Did they announced Apple AI when they announced the iPhone fifteen they said, hey, it's coming, right, but at that point it was in such an infant stage that nobody knew what it was. And with their like, they're so privacy focused, right, they they're lacking in the third party integration. They're don't not letting other third parties access the information that you're generating with the AI, and all of their processing is done on device, right, where other manufacturers allow this processing to happen in the cloud in other places, right. But Apple is primarily focused on privacy. So you're going to see some significant quality decreases because of the processing that's required on the device versus in the cloud, speed, performance, accessibility to data.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So you're going to get a better user experience from Gemini and other AI models, but at the sake of your privacy.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Those models are trained by what you feed them, whereas Apples won't be. So it's Apples that's kind of been their stick over the last six or seven iPhones has been privacy, privacy, privacy, right. Yeah, so we'll see I just they're they're behind, I think, but they're trying to rein in the mainstream feel of AI by branding it Apple Intelligence. So you call it AI. So when somebody says AI, they're gonna like, oh, you usually gamble intelligence.
Speaker 3: But that's that's not true. Yeah, like you said, the KLEENICX of tissues. Maybe that's what we'll name the show this week. We've got to take a break. We come back. We've got more.
Speaker 1: We will find out about your djaying experience, and we got some more news for you if you've been thinking about upgrading to Windows eleven keep running into the roadblocks. There's been a great article put up by a guy who's been on the show before that we'll tell you about, as well as a couple of listener questions as well.
Speaker 3: I'm a Detaylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back and now fact to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: So to answer the question that was posed during the last segment, there the sensors that are currently on not currently, but on the pixel Watch three. You have an accelerometer, of course, you've got the function based sensors like the compass, the altimeter, the gyroscope, the ambient light sensor, and finally they do have the blood oxygen sensor. Oh, good, but right, But the blood oxygen sensor in the pixel Watch three is inactive at this time. While the sensor has a place on the watch, Google has not made any statements as to when and where this feature would be unlocked for use. That actually is a big thing for me because I do know that the Apple Watch does feature the O two yeah, and I would love to have that O two sensor, So I'm hoping that they do figure this out and unlock that feature soon. How about EKG or EKG, Yes, you can do that EKG yep, yep, yeah, that's really cool. Electrical sensor. It also has the optical heart rate sensor, so you can get your heart beat and everything, and then again the sleep sensor. How much is the pixel Watch? Generally go for pixel Watch with the Wi Fi model I think is three ninety nine, and then for I think it was four to seventy nine. Is for the LTE model if you want, did you do that last? My last watch, my pixel Watch one, was the LTE model, But honestly, I found that I really never went anywhere outside having my phone, so having the LTE model on the watch didn't really make sense to me. So for this one. I just went with the Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: That makes sense there, all right, you DJ'ed, which I thought was kind of cool. We've been hearing the kind of ramp up to that over the last month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did the event go? It went great. Yeah, if you missed the last couple of shows or whatever we talked about. When I did, I did get back into DJ and add some friends that were like, you know, we want you to DJ our wedding and I was like, look, guys, I haven't done this in like fifteen years. And then I realized how much money I could make, and I was like, okay, I could make this work, right, And so yeah, I went out. I bought the you know, a Hercules DJ turntable set, a digital turntable set, and I bought the virtual DJ license. I got a bunch of music from Title and from Idjpool and yeah, I went to the event. It was on Sunday, this last Sunday, and I set up and everything went great. I mean, honestly, it was so funny because the venue manager, the venue owner excuse me, was actually there and he came up to me about halfway through the event and he was like, you're really good at this like you're keeping everybody on track. You know, you're doing things really well. You do this professionally, Like is this your full time gig? And I'm like, no, actually, I haven't done this in like fifteen years. And he's just like, wow, you're really good at this. So that made me feel good. And then we got to party mode and I started rocking it with the songs and the remixes, and people just absolutely loved it and I had a blast. It was a great time. And as a matter of fact, like I said, the owner was there. He was like, hey, do you have a card? I want to I want to maybe reference you for some upcoming projects. And I was like, yeah, I mean, I'll pick up a gig from here and there. I mean, I'm you know again, I'm not I got a full time job. I'm not going to quit that to do this. But I picked up that gig and coming up this Friday, I'm actually going to be djane Highland Hills, that's the company I work for. I'm going to be djying the park Fest, which is a major concert series that we do at the end of each year. We have a bunch of food trucks, we have a live band. So I'll be Djane the first hour of that event and then introducing the live band. And so that's gonna be a great time. So I'm gonna I'm inviting those same friends out that we're at the wedding. I'm inviting my family, my neighbors are coming out. So it's gonna be a good time. So I'll be up on stage. DJ in that first hour is making.
Speaker 4: You what's your DJ what's your DJ name? You need to come up with an epic DJ name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went back and forth. Well, back when I was in the Navy, I was DJ Spider, but now there's an actual famous guy that was DJ Spiders. I was like, well, I can't do that one. So I went with you know, my nickname on the Gamer you Know world is Donnie Narco. So I went with DJ d N. I like it. It's not bad. It's simple, simple, mysterious d j d N. All right, Well, they almost went I almost went with DJ j D because my name is Justin David, Right, that would be kind of a play like DJ j D. Like, not that DJ Justin. That's too basic. It's too basic.
Speaker 1: If you did a DJ name, what would you be there Sean, I.
Speaker 4: Have no I literally have no idea.
Speaker 3: Yea DJ Horde, DJ DJ Alliance.
Speaker 4: Probably just de weardy, which is my.
Speaker 3: So weirdy. I like it. So it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: This is making you think, now you may want to just keep pursuing this because you know it's.
Speaker 3: Pretty good business. Yeah, it is. It's a great business. I mean, gosh, weddings and and proms and birthdays. I mean maybe not so much birthdays, but like, yeah, those are events. Dude, DJs can make some serious cash. And knowing that, I don't look, I'm literally not trying to brag here, but this this stuff comes naturally to me, Like being able to just manage a show and manage people and be like, Okay, we need to get this done at this time, and I'm supposed to do this at this time. It literally just came natural to me. I was so nervous before the event, but once the event started, I just went on autopilot and everything came naturally. And the guy was like, like I said, He's like, do you do this professionally?
Speaker 1: You're really good at this, so well, plus it doesn't hurt that you've been doing bruise trivia nights. So you're used to being on the microphone in front of a group of people, so.
Speaker 3: Sure, And and the history of radio DJ and stuff like that. It helps me talk in front of a crowd and stuff. Yeah, so I've got all the pieces put together to make it successful. And knowing that I can do it, yeah, I think I will pursue it. Not fully obviously, but from time to time I'll pick up a gig here and there.
Speaker 1: We know, Jonas has been doing a lot of things now because the inflatable screens have been you know, you remember you wanted to buy an inflatable screen.
Speaker 3: It was really expensive.
Speaker 1: The prices have come down a lot on those projection systems, they've come down quite a bit. So now he's doing backyard parties. So if you want to have a backyard nighttime party, he brings the sound, he brings the streaming device, he brings the you know, the projector brings the inflatable and apparently there's good money in that as well. So I mean that's that you might have a whole new career. At least, you know, get the kid a little older and he could do it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, he was already Eric was already interested in. He keeps bothering me. He's like, Dad, can I go practice DJing? And I'm like, yeah, you can. So I can bring him down and I set the computer and I just go and he'll scratch around a little bit. But hey, you know what, more power to him. If that kid can get to like ten or twelve years old and he can actually DJ, he's gonna be like the most popular kid in school. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they still have DJs, AI would be doing all of it for you. You'd be able to tell Ai please mix Led Zeppelin into Barber Streisen. Oh my, oh dude, I actually I actually heard that on the radio. It was mortifying. Yeah, all right, I got.
Speaker 4: A lighter on a lighter note. Just you guys talked about DJing. Right, So here's my dj I news.
Speaker 1: I'll look at that second perfect dji dj I announced.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like, just two weeks ago, I told you about the dj I four K, which was their their four hundred dollar drone. Well, they set the bar even lower for price. So they announced that dj I Neo, which is a lightweight drone design. This is ready just the script off their website. The lightweight drone design for beginner's loggers and casual users. Priced at one ninety nine dollars, the Neo packed several pressive features for its size. Here's some of the key features. Right, it's one hundred and thirty five grams, so less than a half a pound, which puts it under if a way limit for registration. Wow, it's got a twelve megapixel half inch censor. Uh, it's can fly up to eighteen minutes on a single charge. It comes without a controller, so you just use your phone to control it if you want, or you can pay a little bit more money and get the RC plan which gives you a controller in the suffances. But uh, it's tiny, it's it's only you know, it's let me ask you.
Speaker 3: About let me ask you about the phone controller, right, because now you're talking phone controller, which means it's gonna have to communicate one of two ways. It's gonna have to communicate via Wi Fi or it's gonna have to communicate blue tooth right. Right, You're not gonna be able to take this thing very far with that now, and you go to the radio route, right, you're gonna have much more distance that you can take this thing because it uses radio frequency. So what is the distance limits on this? Yeah, this emssion, it is gonna have to be Why because I mean you're thinking Wi Fi, you're thinking maybe what one hundred feet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I would have to look at what it says. But yeah, you're not wrong, right, it's does that. This one. It's definitely not designed to.
Speaker 3: Be set by altitude whatever set.
Speaker 4: Thousands feet away from you or whatever. Right, you're not going up eight hundred feet right, Yeah, this one is from what the marketing shows, is designed to be like a selfie kid's gonna fly around you. It's gonna stay near you. You're great, that's what you're gonna be able to fly indoors, right, because it's got the prop cards and stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh it is.
Speaker 4: It is Wi Fi connectivity with a control range of fifty meters right, Okay, okay, so that's in perfect conditions.
Speaker 3: I was in Costco fifty ft.
Speaker 1: I was in Costco the other day and they had the Dji Many four and I was like, that's what I have. I was like, whoa, because I have the three and I thought that they were going to be priced reasonably. No, it was still seven hundred and ninety nine bucks, and I thought.
Speaker 3: Wait, maybe I have the three because mine was three ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well mine was a thousand. The one that I got, it got the three pro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember what I had that Phantom for the original Phantom for my very first drone that I was so nervous about getting. And Sean was like, dude, it flies itself, trust me, you'll be great. That thing was massive and that was what fourteen dollars for that thing.
Speaker 1: That's when they first they were first grabbing the attention.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So the which one, Sean, is that the four Is it the four K that is priced a little lower than that seven hundred and ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Right, So right, so they kind of got you with the marketing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So you have the the the Mavick Pro four and then you have the you have the Dji Pro four K.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, so there's.
Speaker 4: Different This is not a Mavick, it's just the Dji four K.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: Exactly different design, it's a different style.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So they got down there, but real quick before we have to take a break talking about Dji. So September ninth, the day we recorded the show, the house did pass the Hr. Two eight six four, which is the Countering CCP Drones Act. Oh wow, so that did pass the House. So a little bit about that bill real quick, is that this bill is set to safeguard US security by restricting the use of drones from foreign foreign countries, basically China. So that would impact DJI and several other large drone manufacturers for sale and access to the US.
Speaker 3: So we gonna be able to fly our drones anymore.
Speaker 4: It's only for what I'm reading, it's only for new the imports of new products from DJ like. It's not gonna retroactively take away your old drones and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So although if you know the government wants to buy mine, I'll sell it, yeah, right, three or four times, so i'd be happy I barely use it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that that bill has to go through the Senate and get passed by the Senate.
Speaker 3: All right, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gona take another quick break. We come back more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin.
Speaker 3: Let me send us an X at tech talk Radio.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back and now back to tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 4: Would like to take in listener questions. Uh, on the web, you can call us, textus, email US, Facebook US, tweet at us, whatever. But Gary from Tucson has a question for us. All right, He says, Hey, guys, I listen to the show whenever I can and love the advice. Now I have a question. I'm on a fixed income and spending money is something I'm very careful with. I have a PC, but don't have antivirus other than Windows Defender. Is there a good antivirus that can keep me safe or one that's free? Or am I safe with just Windows Defender?
Speaker 3: So I really I've been I've been kind of looking at this myself because again, I'm an IT manager, so we have to, you know, understand the nuances of things like that. While in a corporate environment, we do subscribe to malware bites and webroot for antivirus and anti malware. Windows Defender is amazing. It has gotten so much better over the years, and I personally think for the average user, as long as you're not doing anything crazy, I think Windows to just fine. Good point too, because I think it it may depend on the user and what they're you know, what they're doing on the web.
Speaker 1: Where they're searching. What are they looking for? That going to make a big difference. Do they get a lot of email? Do they click a lot? You know, that's going to make a big difference soon. And if Gary, if you're being safe, maybe Defender's going to be the thing for you.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I've been disappointed because so I use a Semantic. I've been paying for Semantic for maybe about five years now, and you know, every year I drop one hundred and something dollars on the subscription. And you know, Gloria can use it, my daughter uses it, I use it, and I can use it on different devices. But I lately, I've just been getting so sick of the pop ups to get me to pay for you know, this service, or get me to pay for that service, or use their their cloud service or backup service. And you know, and I have another backup option with and I've been using that. They also are doing antivirus now with a Kronus. So I've been thinking about malware bytes. And I was in the store the other day at the office depot. They had Norton Semantek for thirty five dollars seventy dollars off, so they pull you in. Now, next year they're going to have to be paying the full price of the one hundred and some odd dollars. They had malware Bytes for three users for thirty nine dollars, and I thought, you know, whenever we've had a situation where we've recommended somebody said, hey, my computer's acting up, we've always said it malware bytes. Use that to try and figure out what's going on, et cetera. But is that the same thing. Is it price gonna go up after a year? You buy it for thirty five bucks, and then next our thirty nine dollars. Next thing, you know, it's going to be one hundred and thirty nine next year.
Speaker 3: I personally don't know, because again I'm in a corporate environment, so we have a different licensing structure than the average consumer. But I do know that malware bytes is an excellent option out there. Another option personally at home, I use e set and I've been using e set for it like twenty years. Yeah, and e set never bothers me.
Speaker 1: It never has pop ups, no pop ups, and they have a very small footprint too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know they don't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't slow your system down a lot. Uh, Now, Sean, I know you use malware bites.
Speaker 3: What do you? Are you happy with it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's good. It tells me, hey, you know, if if I click out a malicious link or something, it'll warn me and say, hey, there's you know it quarantined to this link or quarantined this file. So I mean, I'm not doing anything nefarious, but it does keep me a piece of mind thing, right, And I don't seem to have any issues, right, I don't, but I don't pay a whole lot. Right, So malwaur bites has a family protection plan for ten bucks a month, and I think that's I believe that's what I have. I have to look exactly at my invoice, but.
Speaker 1: It's gonna one hundred and twenty a year. But you you get you could protect more than just one system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can protect up to time. I think ten, ten or more devices. So I have it on Candle's computer. I have it on my computer. It's MACPC Linux.
Speaker 1: Now you don't have to pay for Windows Defender. I did notice that starting to get an ad now for backing up. They just matter of fact, Microsoft just pushed an update this past week on Tuesday, and you may right away. Boom, there was an ad for backing up my system and that they wanted me to back up I've already gotten.
Speaker 3: I haven't gotten those ads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just got that one, and I already have a backup solution. You know, look look at look at what I got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I cross, Yeah, I don't. I mean it's interesting. I'm curious because if you get those ads but I haven't, I mean I've gotten too. I got two different computers. Well actually, I mean I work with a multitude computers at work, but none of them are getting those those backup and also have.
Speaker 4: A pie hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well okay, but I'm also using my Windows eleven computer at work with Windows eleven and I don't get those ads. It could be that I'm on Windows eleven Pro at work and stuff, so maybe it's different than the home. And yes, Sean, maybe because I do have the pie hole running, so maybe, yeah, you could be that that could be why I'm not getting those ads.
Speaker 1: All right, So we got one from Fred in Green Valley.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Fred actually called the station while I was on the air, and he said, hey, I got a tech question for you.
Speaker 3: Fred wanted to.
Speaker 1: Know if we could give away CDs with Linux distributions on it. Uh, it could be like the old days of AOL.
Speaker 4: Uh I would I would never trust anybody in this day of age. No the USB or a CD. This is installed this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should.
Speaker 4: You should never trust anyone that comes and gives you, but not even me. How did how did a Well? How did AOL get away with that? How day Well get away with sending well?
Speaker 3: Because that was before that was before everybody tried to scam everybody else. You had people beck them Michael Lane, I'll.
Speaker 4: Think about it. Right, It's like if you gave if you gave somebody in an old no offense Andy, an older generation and a CD is that here and saw this one hundred percent? My mom gonna put that in her computer install, yeah.
Speaker 3: Or click it, download and install.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, she's gonna download more ramp for her computer.
Speaker 3: I mean, Fred, Fred, listen, listen, listen. Let me let me be honest with you. Do what Sean says, do not trust anybody with when for that? If you want Linux, you need to go and get Linux yourself.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 4: I will write you a step by step guy to how to download Linux and put it on a USB stick.
Speaker 3: Do a video or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should, but do Yeah. I would know if somebody's coming to you and saying, hey, I put this custom distribution of Linux on here for you, go ahead and install it, right, I'd be very very hesitant to install it unless it came from somebody that I really really trust. Even then I would be.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is this is akin to like a stranger walking up to you on the street of like Manhattan, you know, in the middle of downtown Manhattan and be like, here is a random drink. Drink this, yeah, exactly, No, No, I'm not gonna do.
Speaker 1: It's like finding a USB drive people, you know, colleges are back in session. Uh, people have done that where they'll drop USB drive on purpose and it's loaded with malware or you know, and next.
Speaker 3: Thing you know, you've infected your system. YEP. A lot of people, a lot of infections start on college campuses because kids are stupid.
Speaker 4: Well that's the thing, Like, that's people. That's the biggest oversight in security is people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are the weakest link combined stupid.
Speaker 4: Like people don't think about stuff like that, right, Like every day you you use the thumb drive for your computer, right, So you don't think that taking a thumb drive from my computer at home and plugging you to computer or it would be a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is.
Speaker 4: It's a huge security risk.
Speaker 3: Well this, this is why the government a long time ago, back when I was working in UH in the government industry, you know, working for the d D, they banned all devices like cell phones, they banned USB drives, they banned all that stuff because of this exact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they locked down the USB ports, which a good administrator will do.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you need something you have to call put in a tick it and it'll be done that way.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So ed Bott, who has been on the show before years ago, who has been with zd net, put together a story in how to.
Speaker 3: Upgrade the greatest name ever by the way.
Speaker 1: Ed Bot, I love it, but it's how to upgrade your incompatible Windows ten PC to Windows eleven.
Speaker 3: So you know I've been going through that. It's been frustrating.
Speaker 1: You don't have to throw away a perfectly good PC, as the article says, UH using some tips found in ads articles. So if you go to zd net, look for ed Bot's article on how to upgrade. He talks about using the registry, edit the bypass CPU checks, changing a key to the Windows registry, then downloading the Windows eleven IO, then mounting the ISO and filed.
Speaker 3: Explorer, and then running the setup.
Speaker 1: That's one way to do it, and said that you can get by the you know, if you go open up your computer, you'll see you can't run Windows eleven, so you can't download the Isso this is the way to get around it.
Speaker 3: You know. That's it's interesting that this did not come out years ago when Windows eleven first came out, that this workaround. For years, we've been talking about this where it's it's impossible to install Windows eleven unless you have TPM, and all of a sudden it's like, actually, all, yeah, I do is change one simple registery setting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's probably the benefit of a great marketing campaign and great search engine opsimization. Right, they probably bear They probably Microsoft probably paid a ton of money to bury anything that listed anything about trying to get Windows tend to run without TPM two point oh oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I bought a TPM two point oh it's all happy, and it didn't work. Then I found out my processor would not qualify. But I think you'd be able to get around it on this case another quick break, we come back with more of tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm A D. Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin Lemme. You can find us on the Facebook's forward slash. Tech Talkers were right.
Speaker 5: Back and now fact to tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 1: For our website of the Week. I love this app that Sean told me about. I didn't think I was gonna like it. I was like, Yeah, that's cool. That's out there. Spot the Station and it's the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: You get the app. It's free to use.
Speaker 1: But what it does is it will alert you when the space station is going to be flying over your community.
Speaker 3: And the first time I.
Speaker 1: Tried it, I went outside and it even has a tracker and it shows you where in the sky it's going to be and you look for not a flashing light, just a solid, steady light that will move across the sky. Well, the next day I got another alert.
Speaker 3: I went out.
Speaker 1: Every time that thing goes off, I will go outside and take a look. I had a great view last night or Spot the Station, and I just think it's a great app to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it started. It started as a text service where you could get text messages.
Speaker 3: So you can.
Speaker 4: You can go to spotthstation dot Nasa dot gov and sign up. It's it's free and it's amazing. I've used it to track the space station. I've used it to line up specific events that I've wanted to capture with the space station in them. And this is kind of a cool part to tie it into that. They just brought back the star Liner module, the Boeing star Yeah, the Boeing star Liner module that was up there. So if you're interested in space at all, like this is a cool thing that you can do with your kids. It's free, it gets them outside, it gets them engaged with space. It's just a cool thing. And I use it all the time and anytime it goes over, I just make a point to get outside. It's just just for a minute, just to see it go over. It's it's just a cool thing.
Speaker 1: It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: One question I have though, is that do they actually have a light on the space station or is that the sun reflecting?
Speaker 4: Is that is solely the sun reflecting off of everything. It's just every you know, you can see satellites that way too, right, So it's just the sun reflecting off because if you watch it at night go and you watch it for the duration of the time, you actually see it fade out. Yeah, like a like a like just a light fading out. Because if you do, you do long exposures with that, you can actually get the trail disappearing with your long exposure.
Speaker 1: The one last night, it was real bright coming over and then once it started to go off with the horizon, I said, where is it?
Speaker 3: Where'd it go? And yeah, it just disappears.
Speaker 4: The cool part about that too, is still there, you just can't see it.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's just the sun has set for the space station.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And what's cool about that too, is that as it goes over, if you are into Ham radio at all, you can actually listen to the repeater that it's on the space station and people that are talking back and forth. For Andy, we've done this live, but we did it live on the show where I took my radio outside. You guys heard it. But if you're you're just free to listen. So if you get if you get a cheap Ham radio, you can dial in the frequencies and listen to the Space station. It goes as it goes over.
Speaker 3: What's the website to address again?
Speaker 4: Spot the station, dot NASA, dot dove, justin.
Speaker 1: You got to get this and show Eric because I think he'd probably really like it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it for this week's tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm Justin. Let me once again find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com. We'll see guys next week. Have a good one.