Speaker 1: Now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tech.
Speaker 2: Tim KYMK, Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck live from Dodgers Stadium. It's the twenty twenty four National League Divisional Series the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres and a decisive Game five with a winner moves on, loser goes home. After splitting the first two games at Dodgers Stadium last weekend, these two teams then split two games in San Diego and that leads us here tonight, Game five of the NLDS.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at five toh eight.
Speaker 2: Between then and now, we've got a lot to get to here.
Speaker 3: I'm Marogo Casino Dodgers on Duck.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 2: You're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, get his pregame thoughts. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Va Sego's one on one with Evan Phillips, Dodger reliever. We got your Dodgers magical moment. Shortly, we'll check in with Kirsten Watson. In a just a few minutes, we will visit with Steven Nelson and Rick Monday out at the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth Wednesday in San Diego. It was a bullpen game for the Ages, Dave Roberts electing to use an opener in game four. What followed was a line out of a bullpen of eight different relievers who would take them mount on Wednesday night, all of them putting up zeros on the scoreboard, all of them sticking to the blueprint laid out by manager Dave Roberts. Meanwhile, the Dodgers offense jumped on Dylan Cez early in the first second batter of the game.
Speaker 3: Mookie Betts, So here's the payoff.
Speaker 4: Bett Swington hits a high drive left center field and deep Merrill.
Speaker 5: At the wall.
Speaker 6: It's dun.
Speaker 7: Mookie Bets at it again, the first sitting home run. He pumps his fist halfway between second and third. Oh high five for Dino Ebol, his second home running many days.
Speaker 2: It's one nothing Dodgers, big swing for Mookie Betts. That's the top tier play of the game, sponsored by Arco quality, top tier gas for less Dodgers. With the one nothing lead in the second, they tacked on two more. Show Hey o'tani with an RBI single to right. Mookie Betts again came through, this time with an RBI single to right. The Dodgers up three to nothing, and the third facing the Dodgers' bullpen, Will Smith with the breadth of Fresh Air moment of the game.
Speaker 4: Smith lined out to left, hit the ball hard his first time up, nothing to show for it.
Speaker 1: On the one one, Smith swings and.
Speaker 4: Cracks the ball center field in deep Merril, turns and watches it.
Speaker 7: Fly wag on into the batter's eye from Will Smith. A two run tank and now a five nothing lead.
Speaker 2: Tier run home run from Will Smith four hundred and thirty two feet, his first hit of the postseason, coming at the perfect time, Dodgers a five to nothing lead. The breadth of Fresh Air Moment of the Game presented by Atarami Cannical. Looking for reliable heating and air conditioning services in Southern California on Tara Mechanical is your trusted partner Omar and Brittany. They're the founders, great people. Their service is more than just a solution. Hit the breadth of fresh Air. From the moment you call to the completion of your project, a Tar Mechanical delivers friendly, honest service at a fair price. Dodgers up five to nothing, and they tack on three more in the seven Tommy edmund A Sacks safety squeeze one. Then it was a two run home run from Gavin Lutch. Dodgers explode for eight runs on twelve hits, three home runs. The Dodgers bullpen with nine scoreless sittings. They win Game four eight to nothing, and that brings us to tonight, a decisive Game five winner moves on to the NLCS Yoshi Yamamoto and you Darbige the pitching matchup Dodgers Padres first pitching five.
Speaker 3: O awaited with more.
Speaker 2: Let's head over to the Galpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello to Stephen Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: Guys, right, all right, TC is this?
Speaker 4: It is this the last first pregame segment I have with Rick Monday this year? No, all right, mo, okay mo. Dodgers Stadium the side of Game five, this winner take all Division series finale, and honestly, it's probably safe to say that it's fitting for the Dodgers and Padres who started the Major League season two hundred and five days ago. Then it comes down to one game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Soul, South Korea two hundred and five days ago. The reason I cut in and I said, no emphatically, Okay, we're kind of playing back and forth. Yeah, that's the attitude these guys have to have, and you know that both dugouts have that. I thought that in the pregame media meeting, if you will, they had to kick her. Nanasik came in, Yeah, and he said some things that I applauded. As I'm kind of listening, he basically said the same thing that I'm said over and over about postseason play. These are moments, and this is an elimination game. One team is going to be frustrated and say, well we have to wait till next year. The other team another challenge. You move on to the next series. But these are spots elimination games. As kicking was relating to, you've dreamed about since you were a seven year old in your backyard. Let the dream live tonight and don't let the moment capture what you're trying to do. He also says something else. He said he really struggled with postseason play earlier in his career. Then he started to say to himself as he went to bed the night before. Okay, positive thoughts, what can I do? What can I do? Okay, let me kind of project what the picture that I'm going to face tomorrow is able to do be bigger than the moment. And he said it happened to work out. The very next day. He had three home runs in one game. That doesn't mean it's going to be easy. If it were easy, every team would be here. There's only two going to play tonight. One of them is going to be really happy.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: Let the dream live. The Dodgers and Padres a one final time, and it's a really specially special matchup in the country of Japan because for the first time in Major League postseason history, you have two Japanese born pitchers starting in a winner take all game. That's Yoshinobu Yama Maltza for the Dodgers and you Darvish for the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 8: And the Dodgers have to figure out from an offensive standpoint. And by the way, Freddie Freeman is in the lineup. We watched him during back practice. He was being monitored by three of the trainers and just doing a couple of little different drills. We don't know maneuverability, how much he has, how long he'll be in the ball game, don't really know. The other thing too is KICKI Hernanus is getting the start in center field and he will bat in the seventh spot in this lineup. So Hernanas has had, you know, the history of coming up big in postseason. Dodgers are hoping they were able to do that. A couple of things that Dave Roberts said yesterday that I really underlined. He goes, Look, you cannot be afraid of failure playing in the biggest games that you've had of the year. And I reiterate what I said before Game four down in San Diego. The Dodgers and the Powder Raised tonight are both surrounded by urgency, urgency to win.
Speaker 4: We are anxious for this game to begin. And it's our privilege and our pleasure and our honor to be with you guys tonight for Game five, the division series coming up shortly.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Nelly, as we cut you down to first pitch, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on. It's Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and mojos?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Now at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 2: Coming up here on Maroango Casino Dodgers on Deck. You're gonna hear from the manager, Dave roberts Well. Check in with David Vasy. Throughout the show, we'll deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: What up next?
Speaker 2: You o Tani rewind and we'll visit with Kirsten Watson from sportsnet LA as we lead you up to Dodgers and Padres Game five of the National League Divisional Series. First pitch at five oh wait. Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kason's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It's Lorongo because you know, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five of the nl DS. Yoshinoble Yamamoto and you darbis. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at five oh eight.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewid.
Speaker 4: Blucks on third, keep on first, two out, one nothing Dodgers show. Hey is fourteen for his last seventeen with runners in scoring position. The bitch the swing, oh base hitting the right field. Oltani pumps his fist as he rounds first. Gavin Lux comes home. The Dodgers double their lead RBI single for Show hey Otani through the right side, coming up big with two out in the second inning, Show hey.
Speaker 2: Otani goes one for three with the RBI single. He also watch twice as the Dodgers win Game four on Wednesday Night, eight to nothing. The Otani Rewind brought to you by eto In Oyocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that showy Otani loves and drinks available at local diso stores, Target and Etoin dot Com.
Speaker 3: That's it t O e N dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Kirston now joins us here at Dodgers standing before Game five of this n l DS Win or go home Dodgers and padres. Kirsten, You've been in the clubhouse, you've been on the field. How does this team feel leading up to first pitch?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I will say yesterday for the team workout, there's been a big thing of just all of these guys are in it together. They're gonna win together. Hopefully they don't lose, but if they do lose, they're gonna lose together. And I think with that yesterday on the board in the clubhouse, it was jobs not finished. That's obviously Kobe Bryant what he said when they went on to win the NBA Championship. So this is that is the focus of this team. They recognize they're sick of this conversation of being being beat in the DS and they will and you know it's against a division park all of that, they're sick of that conversation. So they're very much coming into this one like, look, we forced the game five. Let's do like we know what we're here for. We're gonna lean into the fans energy and the excitement that's here today because look they're ready. Kei k a r nance when he was talking and I was like, you don't have a choice today but to show up. And so that is what they're hoping to do today. Set the tone early, and that starts with Yoshinobu. Yeah, I'm onto on the mount.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yoshi gets the starts.
Speaker 2: I imagine gonna be a short leash here in this game five. The Dodgers can't afford to fall behind early.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, they can't. The hope is out of course he can have a clean for sinning and then the Dodgers can put some runs on the board to support him early in this game. They're gonna have to find a way to get to you, Darvish. But like you said, with Yoshinovu, he is someone who so they felt like in Game one and there was potential that he was tipping some of his pitches. So they've been working on a few things all week, just reviewing the tape, making sure that he is in a good spot, not only just to execute, but to make sure he's not giving anything away. So that is the hope for him today. They do believe that. You know, this is a guy who's been in big moments, not necessarily maybe in Major League base Ball, but in the other leagues, whether it was in Japan World Baseball Classic, things like that. He was excellent against the Yankees, so they've seen him come in clutch. So now it's about channeling that energy into this start, and they believe he's ready for it. You know, they signed him for this, for moments like this, and the hope is he can do that.
Speaker 3: Just do that today.
Speaker 2: You ready for the energy in this stadium. I feel like it's gonna be buzzing from first pitch on.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's gonna be insane and we need it though, like I think the guys they feed off of that. We got to stay in this. It was amazing being in San Diego hearing them silence the Padres fans. You could just feel the shift. So we need, you know, from but I think it starts early, and to be fair, yes it's the fans, but it's also the players on the field getting things going to keep the fans engaged.
Speaker 3: So yeah, let's see what happens.
Speaker 9: I'm excited, but I it's not about us, it's about them, and I do I in my heart and soul, I believe this feels different this year, and I believe that they're ready.
Speaker 3: We'll find out first pitch.
Speaker 2: Getting closer they can curious and brought you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today your car could be picked up tomorrow. Donate now at Carsfrokids dot org. That's cars with the case still to come. Here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Veast goes one on one with Evan Phillips up next, so we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five, the NLDS first pitching five O eight. I'm Tim Kaates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers hunt on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 2: Continuous line from Dodgers Stadium as with lead jump to first pitch Dodgers and Padres Game five of the National League Divisional Series, Marongo Casino Resort and Spa A Grand Slam. Four good times, Yoshinobu, Yamamoto and you darbage the pitching matchup, first pitch coming up in five oh eights?
Speaker 8: Anything else, Dave?
Speaker 10: Do you think the questions for Dave?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The duck with Dave Robberts?
Speaker 11: Do you guys land on the decision to go with Yamamoto as opposed to some of your other options?
Speaker 12: Well, I think that if you look at Yoshinobu, he's on his regular rest. Jack. It would be a regular rest for him, which is shorter still we don't have the same as far as bullpen availability as we did as far as updowns and all that stuff. So I think that kind of realizing that, you know, Yoshinova's here to be a top end starter and this is his time, and I feel that we have really viable candidates, you know, behind him, But I still believe it. It's it's certainly I feel we all feel good about the decision for him to start in.
Speaker 11: A winner, go home, get him, Like how aggressive are you going to be with your bullpen behind him? And it's flairty kind of an option if you guys need them.
Speaker 12: Jack's certainly an option. But I do believe that the guys that have been in the bullpen all year are just as capable, if not more than capable, I would say, more than capable than what Jack could do. And so to have Jack, you know, being ready if needed, certainly, but I feel that with Yoshinobu and our guys, And again, I'm going to watch the game like all of us and kind of see, you know, how we're throwing the baseball, what type of the bats those guys are having, and then kind of make decisions, you know, going forward.
Speaker 4: Put it Jack in the front.
Speaker 13: How did the relievers come out of playing catch yesterday?
Speaker 3: And is it like when you talk about availability, is it more just.
Speaker 11: Like how long they can go rather than you know, guys being up or down.
Speaker 12: Correct, They're all up. Everyone's up, and it's kind of then baking in. You know how much they can give us, and then you've got to layer in effectiveness and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, there's Dave robers Done in the dug brought to by Service Titan. Dave Roberts wins in the playoffs by being ready for anything. If you want your contracting business to succeed, you need to be ready to let Service Titan help you be prepared at Service Titan dot com. Let me continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with the David vay Is. We're leading up to first pitch. It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five of.
Speaker 3: The n l d S. First pitch and five.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All Season Law Law.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five of the n L d as Yoshinobu Yamamoto and you darbage the pitching matchup first pitch, coming up at five.
Speaker 1: Away, joining Tim Kates on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 5: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: All right, TV, what's the sense you get from this Dodgers team? The vibe amongst this team before Game five?
Speaker 6: A really confident group of players, Tim, and already we've seen more fight from this Dodger team than what we saw the last couple of years when the Dodgers were either down in a playoff game or down in a playoff series. The Dodgers have really shown a lot more resolved so far in the first four games of this series. Also, Freddie Freeman was out here earlier testing his right ankle.
Speaker 5: He is still a go to start at first base tonight.
Speaker 3: TIVID is driven by Ford.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing we like its choices, find yours with the four one to fifty gas hybrid all electric, toughest market will be called the f one fifty. Is it a game of chess between these two managers?
Speaker 1: TV?
Speaker 6: Well, from the Dodgers standpoint, it is Yamamoto is probably expected to give the Dodgers as much as he can for at least three innings.
Speaker 5: The crossroads at bat.
Speaker 6: In this game is going to be the second time Yamamoto has to face Fernando Tatis Junior from the Padres side. Yes, we've talked about the Dodgers' bullpen. They did a great job in Game four, but the Padres bullpen is really good as well. If the Padres have a lead after five innings, there is no doubt that they are going to go to their bullpen. Both sides have told me express to me. Whoever has the lead after five innings has a.
Speaker 5: Significant advantage to win this game.
Speaker 6: Also from the Padres side, in a big thank you from the Padres or from the Dodgers side.
Speaker 5: Keeping jerks in Profar hitting third.
Speaker 6: The consensus is it would help the Padres if they hit Jackson Merril third and even move Luis Arise down in their batting order to come up with men on bass. I told you the Dodgers love to have men on bass for Otani.
Speaker 5: The Padres don't want to see that.
Speaker 6: But the Padre stuck with the same lineup every single game this series.
Speaker 5: So a big thank you from the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: David, who do you think needs to have a big game for the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 6: I know everybody looks at Shoe Aotani and Mookie Betts, but for me, there are three men that need to get on base and have an impact. It's their seven eight to nine hitters tonight, Keik Hernandez, Gavin Lux and Tommy Edmond. If those guys are on base via the walk or the base hit, the Dodgers have a great chance of scoring runs tonight.
Speaker 2: David, the bullpen locked and loaded, ready to go, all hands on deck in case they need to fill some innings tonight.
Speaker 6: Without a doubt, and who is going to close if they have the lead? That remains to be seen, Like it has been all season long.
Speaker 5: Blake Trening got the five out save in the.
Speaker 6: First game, but it's based more on the groupings of hitters than it is the inning of the game. And if the top of the lineup is going to be coming up in the ninth inning, Dave Roberts is going to map out the last six or nine outs to have Blake trynin face those top three hitters.
Speaker 5: A rise Tatis Profar, and you can even include Machado Milkie.
Speaker 2: Betts certainly has gotten things going after that over twenty two. Start here in continuation from last year's postseason, seeing him during batting practice, DV you mentioned it.
Speaker 3: He looks locked in and focused.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 6: Players have told me last year in this year that Mookie Bets forgets at times how good he is and that he's Mooky freaking Bets.
Speaker 5: Well, he saw the results.
Speaker 6: I know we talk about the process, but he's a big results guy. The process, the work was in there, the preparation before the last two games, he got results, and his confidence has had an all time high in a playoff series that I've ever been around him for.
Speaker 3: David appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We'll check back you with he in just a couple of minutes. Dodgers started him starting to get electric as the fans come in coming up here on Moroco Casino, Dodgers on deck, we'll hear from Evan Phillips from the Dodgers bullpen. We'll break down this pitching matchup, of course, but up next you Dodgers. Magical moment as we lead you up to first pitch. Dodgers Padres, Game five of the nl d S first pitch coming up at five oh eight. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, it is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres live from Dodger Stadium, Game five of the n l DS. Leading up to first pitch, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and you darbage the pitching matchup. First pitch set for five oh eight.
Speaker 1: Who It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment Pitch Magical Phone presented by Hawvey Hot Tails.
Speaker 3: We go back to Game.
Speaker 2: Five of the twenty sixteen NLDS Dodgers in Washington, DC, taken on the Nationals, a game that took forever four hours of thirty two minutes, at the time, the longest nine inning game in postseason history. Dodgers fell behind one nothing in the seventh Jock Peterson homer, Justin Turner a two run triple, and the Dodgers scored four runs in the inning to take the lead. In the ninth, Dodgers of four to three when Dame Roberts took out Killy Jansen and brought in Clayton Kershaw for the save.
Speaker 5: Kershaw for the save, two out.
Speaker 13: This is a game that's gonna be remembered for a very long time.
Speaker 1: The pitch to Dfo.
Speaker 13: Swung on and miss strike three, drop by Ruiz throws to first and the Dodgers are going to Chicago as Clayton Kershaw, in his first relief appearance in seven years.
Speaker 3: Records the save.
Speaker 13: The Dodgers come from behind and beat the Nationals four to three to win the National League Division Series three games to two.
Speaker 2: Yes, Clayton Kershaw came in with one out of the ninth, two days after throwing one hundred and ten pitches in Game four on short rest to get this save. As the Dodgers win Game five of the twenty sixteen and l DS. This Hofey Magical moment brought to by Hofey Hot Talks, a so Cal treasurer for over one hundred years and said hoppybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase Crave Delicious Hoffey Hot Talks. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Rick Monday. So we're leading you up to first pitch Dodgers Padres It's Game five.
Speaker 3: Of the nld S.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kass, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Its Lorongo Casino, Dodgers On, Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five of the nl d S. Yoshinobu Yamamoto and you Darbis the pitching matchup, must win Game five to move on to the NLCS to face the New York Command. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zin She handcrafted sushi made fresh daily on site. Pick up delicious sushi before or after the game. It Ralphs and other local supermarkets.
Speaker 1: Near the telecounter and now joined by David Basse. Here's l a Dodgers broadcaster and World Series Champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: Rick Monday knows all about playing and performing in winner take all elimination games. Rick Game five for these two teams, you can describe the feeling of being in the middle of this thing.
Speaker 8: This this is backyard dreams as a six year old, a seven year old, eight year old. How many times we've talked about this before, and Kiki Henanas was talking about it today. You ask a very good question down in the media room also, and he said, hey, look, these are moments that we have dreamed about since being kids. You know, this is a the deciding gamegency who goes and squares off against the men's with an opportunity to go to the World Series and without a win today, neither one of these teams who will be going. So again this is material of Look, focus, don't let the moment get bigger than what it might be. They're all going to be big moments, There's no question about it. This is a controlling adrenaline. This is basically going through thought processes that you have gone through thousands of times as a player, as a professional player, is an amateur player, but this is the biggest stage you've ever done it on, and some excel. The stars are going to be stars. The question is what about the supporting staff. And we've seen the supporting staff now come through. From an offensive standpoint, the Dodgers have one big obstacle and that is the six foot five right hander you Darvish, because he has a pitch very well against the Dodgers. He throws so many different pitches and I know that Dave Roberts yesterday was saying, Look, the Dodgers needed one. You can't be afraid of failure. But the other part too, is he's talking from anc it's the standpoints. Look, you've got to cut down on the swings, and a guy that changes speeds changes looks. And with Darvish, one of the big things that he's had going for him in his career, it's not always just Plan A. If he has to go to Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, he will do that because he's not only a good pitcher, he's also a good observer. And by that, I'm talking about reading the swings of itters.
Speaker 6: How much do we put into the fact that Darvish's era is incredibly higher.
Speaker 5: Pitching on four days rest. Do you feel that plays into it or is that just the.
Speaker 8: I think it can. I think it can, and quite frankly, I think there's a subplot to all of this as well. You know, in the past, you think back to a certain World series the Darvish where the Astros getting his pitches, And that's one of the things we talked about. And if we look at tonight's starting pitcher for the Dodgers, and that being yeah, should know, but I'm a Moto. You know, Dave Roberts was questioning after Game one of this series where the padres picking up his pitches, and I go back to spring running the very first game that Yamamoto threw. I may mention the second ending that I could see what he was throwing. And they have worked on it and worked on it, and I don't think that's going to be a factor.
Speaker 1: But who scores early?
Speaker 8: And I think that's a big, big issue into nice ball game in particular.
Speaker 6: It seems like that's the consensus from both sides.
Speaker 12: Rick.
Speaker 6: They understand whoever gets the lead early has the advantage to go to their high leverage relievers.
Speaker 8: And I think that the relief core is going to be called upon very quickly if needed, by both sides.
Speaker 6: When you look at the Dodger lineup, Rick, is there one player that you're looking towards to having a huge impact other than Otania.
Speaker 8: No, they know they need multiple players. I don't think it's going to come down to one. There may be one big of bat, no question about that. But I think that if you're looking, we finally saw some life, if you will, in the bottom part of the lineup, because how many times the first two games of the series. We're talking about from position five, six, seven, eight, and nine in the the Dodger lineup. They were very very quiet. Well they started to make some noise and including that guy in the number two spot, that being Mookie betch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll look forward to seeing what mooki otani and.
Speaker 8: The This is fun. I mean there butterflies around.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Join the club, folks. That's the way it should be.
Speaker 5: I feel great. I feel great. Rake, No butterflies.
Speaker 8: Here, Yeah, monster mops.
Speaker 6: We'll send it back to you in the s week down the third baseline Top one percent.
Speaker 2: Kates, Thank you, Dvan Dodger fans and hands. You're listening experience by don learning the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD. It's all powered by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos la Care dot org. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you a preview with this bitching matchup. Steven Nelson and Rake will be back with the Keys to the game.
Speaker 3: But I'm next. We go high and tight.
Speaker 2: With Evan Phillips, Dodgers Padres First Bitch and five Bay.
Speaker 8: Wait.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kakson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers Hunters game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five of the NLDS.
Speaker 3: Yoshinola Yamamoto and you Darvas.
Speaker 2: The pitching matchup Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital Los Angeles. When you need the very best care for your child, go to Children's Hospital LA rank number one in California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor at CHLA dot org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vess a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high end tight.
Speaker 5: It's Game five Dodgers and Padres.
Speaker 6: And we're joined right now by one of those Dodger relievers that force to Game five, and that is Evan Phillips.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot for the time, Evan, appreciate.
Speaker 10: It absolutely anytime.
Speaker 6: Dave, what a great moment for as a group, for you guys to come out and really impose your will. What does that say about who you guys are in that bullpen?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 10: I think Game four was a testament to the kind of work we've been putting in all year. And what we've been bracing for. And you know, I'm really proud of how each guy came in and you know, different situations and what they were used to doing, you know, in the regular season. But you know, we've had bullpen games before, and we take a lot of pride in being, you know, the guys that are relied on to go out there and get the job done. So we fed off of one another. You know, Brazier and Anthony Bandis had a great TONEU built a good lead offensively, so being able to hold that lead throughout the game was you know, really just a momentum builder for each guy that came out of the bullpen.
Speaker 6: Evan, when you look at this entire season, you all have been very nimble, not really confined to one inning, but to groupings of hitters. How much did that benefit you in a situation like Game four?
Speaker 10: That's a that's such a great point. I think that's exactly why we were able to go out there and do what we what we did. I think you saw you know, guys in different innings than you'd normally see it, but you also saw them pitching in similar you know, spots of the orderist to which they would, and I think doing that throughout the year, you know, you know when situations called for it early in the season, or you know, it's it's all bracing four when it matters most of the posts. And I think you saw that in Game four.
Speaker 6: Evan Phillips is our guest just in front of first pitch here as Game five is getting ready to go, and obviously Yamamoto is starting today, Evan. But in a situation like this, all hands on deck, is it the same kind of feeling mentality at being ready at any point in time?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, I think you know, they'll communicate, you know what's expected of us tonight, you know, pregame. You know, we expect Yamamoto go out there and give us his best, and we'll be ready to go for at whatever point we need to be.
Speaker 6: When Dave Roberts talked about what he may or may not do today, he said he would check in with all the relievers and see how you were feeling during yesterday's workout. What would you say is the consensus on how all you guys are feeling?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I think that's just a formality. That's Doc being nice to us and taking care of us and looking out for us, but we're all gonna be ready to go without a doubt.
Speaker 5: When you look at this starts your team.
Speaker 6: You guys have had to overcome a lot of injuries and different types of things throughout the season.
Speaker 5: What does it say.
Speaker 6: About each other that you were able to band together and force the game five?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I just got chills thinking about it because I can go, you know, gut a guy in the bullpen, and really, you know, for basically our whole team, each guy has endured their own challenges throughout the year, whether it's physically on the field or an injury, ebbs and flows throughout the season. So for each guy and our team really, like I said so, to be able to chip away and contribute to the team, contribute to these wins in the postseason has been really special. And I hope we can do it one more time here in Game five and keep on going.
Speaker 6: I know you can appreciate Freddie Freeman and everything he's had to go through this year. What does it say about him and what's the message to the team that he's been able to endure.
Speaker 10: You know, that's something that Freddy's done his entire career. He's he's you know, he does whatever he can to play at a high level each and every day, and you know, I know it's eating at him to not be one hundred percent right now, but he's still doing everything he can to be available for us. You know, we'll see what kind of capacity we get him in here tonight, but uh, you know, hopefully it's a benefit to the team. And I think that's that's the line for Freddie's. He knows if he can go out there and contribute, he'll be out there. If he thinks he's going to go out there and be detrimental to us getting a win, you know, that's when we'll see him pull it back. So hopefully we get his best tonight and get him back in the lineup. But you know, I think you've seen guys step up in spots, especially like we saw in Game four with that without Freddy, So hopefully we get more of the same tonight.
Speaker 6: Before I let you go, Gavin Leux told me after Game four there was a group chat going on amongst the teammates to really encourage each other not to give up. How late was that group chat going last night and how on fire is it?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know that that group chat's pretty steady, especially in situations like this where everyone's pulling their heart their heartest for each other. I think you're seeing a lot of guys, you know, band together in a different way here in the postseason because everything is on the line now, you know. And I think that's that's the special part about, you know, the camaraderie that we've built throughout the year and any guys pulling for each other and you know, pushing each other to get the best out of them. So group chat has definitely been lively. But we've also spent a lot of extra time together. You know, we took bus rides to and from San Diego together, just you know, building that extra chemistry together to really be able to support each other when it matters most.
Speaker 6: Now Game five, Evan, thanks a lot for the time. You've been such a big part of this Dodger team, and I'd look for it to be no different tonight.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 5: Dave there he is.
Speaker 6: Super reliever, Evan Phillips, one of those dogs in that Dodger bullpen. We'll send it back to you in the studio, tim or back in the suite up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back in the suite. Thank you, d d YOUV.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's a game night, it's group night at Shakys dot com. We're live from Dodgers Stadium, leading you up to first pitch Game five of the NLDS.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Padres.
Speaker 7: Up.
Speaker 2: Next, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere, Tim Kasis, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your Home for the Blue All Season Log.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres Game five of the NLDS. First pitch from Dodger Stadium is coming up at five oh eight.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dinuck, we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: Pitching Matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality in the all new twenty twenty four Tacoma. See your Toyota Dealer today. They make it easy you darbish on the mound. Thirty eight year old right hander seven to three with a three to eighteen er ray and sixteen starts this season. In twenty twenty four, he spent a lot of time on the injured list groin injury, neck injury, elbow issues in fifteen regular season starts against the Dodgers. You darvish as a twenty two twenty seven eer RA one hundred and four strikeouts in the ninety one and the third innings. He won both of his postseason meetings against the Dodgers, including his seven innings one run gym in Game two last weekend. Keep in mind you darvish to two in winner take all postseason games twenty twelve Wildcard game with the Rangers, then of course Game seven of the World Series with the Dodgers. He has pitched in four games, winner take all, oh to four his team results in those games. Yoshinoba Yamamoto twenty six year old right handers seven to two with the three r RA in eighteen starts during the regular season. He faces Padres three times already this year. First in Seoul, he lasted just won inning gave up five runs. He saw them again in April at Dodgers Stadium, five innings, three runs, four hit, six strikeouts. He had no decision, and of course he saw the Padres in Game one of this NLDS. Yama Moto start brought to you by Eto ns Oyocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that sho hey Otani loves and drinks available your local DISO stores, Target and eto in dot com.
Speaker 3: It's it O E n dot Com.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Padres were fifteen minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 3: Keys to the game.
Speaker 2: Our next I'm Tim Kaates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes, is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres, Game five of the NLDS. The national anthem has been sung. First pitch coming up, the ceremonial first pitch with no more Garcio Parrez coming up in just a few seconds. Dodger fans and hands are and listening experience download the iHeartRadio app and listening to HD and it's all powered by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos lacare dot org. All right, before first pitch, let's head back over to the booth, the two guys on the call, Steven Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 14: Guys, all right, Tim, I'm here with Rick Monday again, and mo, I think we do have to begin with the pitching matchup once again, just because of what's on the line everything for these two teams, You Darvish for the Padres, Yoshinobu Yamamoto for the Dodgers, and each of these guys have some individuals, some personal demons that they can exercise here tonight.
Speaker 4: For Yamamoto, it's simple. The Padres have owned them nine innings this year, thirteen earned runs on thirteen, it's four walks, four strikeouts. For you, Darvish, they are the ghosts that haunt them from a winner take all game back in twenty seventeen, that'd be Game seven of the World Series against the Houston Astros.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no question. And if we're looking at darbish to begin with these zero to five and elimination games, whether it be World Series or not. And for Yamamoto, you're absolutely right. He's not pitched well, including Game one of this series where he was really taking the pillar to post. And the question that Dave Roberts came up with after the game. Was Yamamoto tipping his pitches? That's something we'll be talking about and looking at the fact I talked about it second inning of the very first game that Yamamotive pitched in spring training, right, and then you can say the same thing about you, Darbish. Was he tipping his pitches in that World Series in Game seven to the Houston Astros. Well, we don't really know. And what are the hitters seeing tonight, but the Dodgers have, in my mind, take shorter swings. The big swing is vulnerable to Darbish, who throws everything but the kitchen scene. If he could get a grip on it, and he might toss that to hopefully.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers against Darbish's breaking balls when and he's got several of them. They were one for thirteen in game number two of this series. Look, at this point, it's enough talking. It's time to play ball. Game five of the Division Series the Dodgers and Padres. The winner goes on to the Championship Series. The loser season comes to an end.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you guys. First pitch is just minutes away. Dodgers getting loose, Padre players getting warmed up on the first base sideline here, and we're getting ready for first pitch Game five of the NLDS. It's simple when and move on to the NLCS, which begins one night. Where will it be Dodgers Stadium, Petco Park. We'll find out it's the decisive Game five Dodgers Padres. First pitch is next. Are you ready, Dodger fans, Let's go first pitch right around the corner, right here in the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network