Speaker 1: This episode may contain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, I'm Tanya and I'm Teleah and we are Crimes and Consequences, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey Shannon, Hey girl, how are you.
Speaker 2: I am doing pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's Monday, Yay, start of a new week. Oh and it's Halloween this week.
Speaker 2: That's right, HALLOWEENI who are.
Speaker 3: You gonna have a lot of kids?
Speaker 2: You think, Oh, yeah, my neighborhood, like people come from other neighborhoods, and oh, like they park in it doesn't bother. I know some people are all uppity about it, like alle shouldn't do that. But you know what, my family used to do that because where I grew up there was no houses across the street. It was woods and the houses in between were like a quarter mile. So my parents would take me to the rich ass neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: Yes, as good parents do.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So I don't mind, you know, so by buy an extra three bags of candy, like, for fuck's.
Speaker 4: Sake, just exactly. It is one night, keep the kids safe. So I'm kind of glad. I don't get to go out and where I live more of like space depart. So the neighbor told me, I'm like, should I get some?
Speaker 3: And she's like, no, we're good.
Speaker 4: I was like all right, because I was gonna unscrew my bald anyway. I I like my evening's quiet, and I like.
Speaker 2: You know you don't have a lot of kids in your neighborhood though, do you.
Speaker 3: No, not really at all. It's an older crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought, so, well.
Speaker 3: Can you got girl?
Speaker 2: What you're gonna bring is I have a very interesting case. It's about a man named Michael Wayne Jones Junior.
Speaker 3: Uh oh yeah, no, Wayne's.
Speaker 2: I know those three names right figure. His crimes are heinous and I'm just gonna warn everybody there is violence against children in this one, so everybody's warned before we get into it. Just want to remind everyone to hit subscribe or follow on whatever app you're listening to. And I will start off by telling you that. On September sixteenth, twenty nineteen, police officers responded to a car crash in the city of Hiccock, which is in Brantley County, Georgia. The vehicle was being driven by Michael Wayne Jones Junior, and his car was a white Chrysler pacifica like mini van. You remember those, right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It was the only car that was involved in this accident. Like, he basically crashed it. And when police responded to the crash, nobody was prepared for what Michael had to say about his wife, Casey and his children. Michael wasn't from Brantley County, Georgia. He actually crashed as he was making a long drive from Summerfield, Florida, which is where he lived, and that's about sixty miles from Orlando. Okay, So when he had crashed the mini van, he had driven already about one hundred and sixty miles. In Summerfield, Florida, Michael lived in a house that he shared with his wife, Casey, who's thirty two at the time, and their four shared children. There were Michael's two step sons, nine year old Cameron Bowers and four year old Preston Bowers, and then his two biological children with Casey. His daughter's two year old were Cali and eleven month old I Am. Okay, so Casey, let me tell you a little bit about her. She was almost a Chris miss Baby born December twenty third, nineteen eighty six to her parents, Nikki and David, and she was born in Goshen, Indiana. I think that's how you say it. Before she was a stay at home mom. She graduated from Elkhart Memorial High School in two thousand and five, and she had moved to Florida about a decade before the murder. I mean, I really can't blame her from leaving Indiana in.
Speaker 3: The Midwest going to sunny Florida, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: She had a twin brother who passed away, and she had two sisters, Brandy and Sarah. She also had two half brothers and three half sisters. After her parents separated, they got remarried to other people. Casey was known to be a beautiful person both inside and out, and friends spoke really highly of her. I always wonder what people would say about me if I were to die. I wonder if they'd be like, oh, she was such an asshole.
Speaker 3: Stop it.
Speaker 4: No one would say that you are hilarious.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, she was. She laughed, she made me laugh. She was so helpful. Oh my gosh, she was so lit up a room. Jop, you are so I would be a little concerned. I'd be like, well, what was I.
Speaker 4: Going through at the time. I'm not excusing my behavior. I I'm a fucking delight. I'm a sweet heart to the core.
Speaker 2: Okay, as I told my husband, I am charming as hell. So you know, Riz, I've.
Speaker 4: Been waiting for everybody to invent a word almost as cool as me.
Speaker 3: Riz, Riz Sam. But then I am bot so glass in.
Speaker 2: Your modest yes. So Casey was always there for her loved ones in their time of need. Her children were the lights of her entire world. She was a great mom who would do absolutely anything in everything for her kids. When Casey and Michael first met, he was married to his first wife, Sarah. Sarah was working at the Mount Dora Veterinary Hospital, which is in Orange County, Florida. When Sarah was working as the receptionist, she told her boss that she and her husband were eventually going to be moving to Vermont to be closer to her mom because he couldn't find any work. So this was about seven or eight years prior to the murders. I'm going to tell you about. The owner of the VAT hospital wanted to keep Sarah, so he hired Michael too to be a veterinary technician.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah, he does a lot about Sarah too. And I'll tell you when you told said Casey's name, I just got such great vibes from the name and just yeah what you had said about I think her, oh her birthday. Yeah, I'm like cap as soon as she said it, So you actually did the Capricorn but very cool.
Speaker 2: And eventually Casey was also hired as an employee at the VAT Hospital and that's when she and Michael started seeing each other behind Sarah's back. You know, you can't stay what you love, though, Shannon. When Sarah, I know. When Sarah found out about this affair, she immediately asked Michael for a divorce, and during the divorce, Michael moved in with the owner of the vet hospital, which that was a little odd.
Speaker 3: Wow, I think so too, of course, Sarah. Yeah, I don't like betrayal it all. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: He ended up staying with the owner of the vet hospital until many fabricated lies were found out about Sarah and she was terminated and then his job was also terminated at that same time. What yeah, so they both lost.
Speaker 3: Oh she so Sarah is not this sweet girl.
Speaker 2: No, Sarah is. I don't know who was lying about Sarah. Yeah, so I don't know. Yeah, I don't know who was doing it, if it was Michael or what. Anyway, back to the crash. Okay, when police responded to his car crash, Michael said some really eerie words. He said, quote, you may want to put me in handcuffs because there's a dead body inside the vehicle. So the police are like, what the fuck? And so they waste no time putting him in handcuffs and they put him in the police cruiser. They then obviously searched the van and they discovered something really, really gruesome. In the back of the van. They found a large plastic storage bin, like a big giant rubber maid, and when it was open, they found Casey's remains, which had been in the storage bin for two months.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god. Can you can you say the smile?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm gonna talk about that later. Yeah, can you imagine? Like so, after finding Casey dead in the storage container, Michael confessed and he said he'd not only murdered Casey, but also they're shared for children.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Two days prior to crashing the mini van, Casey's mom, Nikki, called for a welfare check, and this is like September fourteenth. Sadly, there was a missing person's report that was filed at this time, and the report it's been like six weeks, six weeks since the last time, like NICKI really talked to Casey, like physically talked to her. So I'm not sure what the hold up was. Actually I do know, and I'll tell you a little bit about it later. But Nicki filed this after she couldn't get a hold of Casey during these six weeks. The report included Casey's description. She was five foot eight, she weighed about one hundred and fifty pounds, and she had blonde hair and blue eyes. And a little further down the report was the information on her four children and their dates of birth, and then a description of the Chrysler PACIFICA van and the missing person's report was distributed to other law enforcement agencies the following day, September fifteenth. So, following up on the missing person's report, police went to check on the family home in Summerfield, Florida, that same day, that September fifteenth. They discovered nobody was home. The house was emptied and it clearly smelled of decomposition. Oh yeah. The local news did an interview with Casey's mom, Niki, like right around this time, and she said, quote, I've never been so scared. They the police, meaning the police, don't know where she's at. They went to the house and she's gone. The house is empty end quote. She was just really terrified, you know, obviously that something had happened to Casey and the kids. And the interviewer asked about our grandkids. Nicki stated, quote, they're my whole world. They're just like my kids. I don't know what I would do without any of them. I want them home safe. And her initial call was placed because she was petrified that Michael may have calmed Casey or the kids. So that's what really prompted her, because she's like, something's not right right. So the cops go to check on this house and they smell the decomposition coming from the home, and they contact the landlord. The landlord told police that the eviction process had already come out against Michael and Casey, and the cops went inside to search the residents. The police department put out a release stating that they were looking for Michael and for any information on the whereabouts of his family members since the house just reeked of death, but I mean it was bad. The police went over to speak with Michael and Casey's neighbors, who did say that Michael appeared, you know, to be on some sort of drug or under the influence of something when they last saw him. The neighbors also said they really didn't know the Jones family all that well because they mostly kept to themselves. One neighbor was actually contacted by the property manager and he was asked to walk through the house with him because of the terrible smell. At that time, nothing had been taken or removed from the house all like when this guy did the walkthrough, like all personal items had been untouched. Really yeah, and he had described it kind of like the smell was of something dead.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: The following day, the family minivan was seen in the driveway and it was gone later that afternoon and everything in the house was gone.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: When the eviction notice had started, Initially, Casey's phone had been contacted, but the landlord was told she had nothing to do with Michael any longer, and if he needed to speak about the eviction further, then the landlord would need to contact Michael. And I'm not sure who this is on the phone, and I'm not climbing, but the landlord was never able to get in touch with Michael. When the wellness check was done, the landlord was on the phone with officers. The officers told him that he could revoke the privilege of being inside the home at any time. While on the phone, the landlord told them that a cleaning service had been called and some small repairs had been completed. They found dark red stains, and they found a gallon sized container of cleaning products. Some of the baseboards showed a discoloration in comparison with the rest, and the responding officers what repairs had been done by the cleaning service At this time. I guess the landlord got a little spooked and he revoked their privileges of being in the house. So they left immediately and the keys were placed back inside the lock box. And then the police had to get a search warrant eventually, and when they did, Major Crimes was called and the house was considered a crime scene. Right they found a mop and bucket that still contained a fluid in it. Located in the living room, so the bucket was tested for DNA and evidence was gathered from that specifically, and they figured it was clear. You know, maybe Michael tried to clean up too, because some of the vinyl flooring was cut out from the house since there appeared to be like bodily fluids that leaked out soaking it. That was in a spare bedroom. Base boards were also soaked with bodily fluids in the northeast corner of the spare bedroom. There was an initial.
Speaker 3: Gross hold on one thing.
Speaker 4: And I'm just trying to comprehend because when you had me that she was in a bucket or that's the rubber maid. Yeah, and now if Mom's already called six weeks ago, so you just figure it's been around that time she's been gone at least, like just in our business of true crime podcasts, I'm just going to jump and say, as soon as Mom felt something, then that's when Casey was probably already gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, if it's been six weeks and in this she's got to be decomposing in a p to a liquid bite, I would imagine, you know, when you told me, I was just like, oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, Yeah, there has, I mean six weeks and the smell.
Speaker 3: Have you smelled death before? Girl? No?
Speaker 2: Thank god?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, Like how they say you just don't forget it and it is so putrid and like I don't even know if that isn't the putrid acrid imprint on your brain, you know.
Speaker 2: And this is like when he crashes, it's like mid September, so six weeks before that, it's like July in Floyda, in.
Speaker 4: Florida, and he's living with the smell. Yeah, of surmise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's disgusting, right, Oh, I'm sorry, No, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was an initial interview or interrogation that Michael had with the detectives, and during this initial interview or interrogation, Michael would confess some pretty creepy details. The interview was done on the same day as the crash. Michael spoke with authorities to explain what was going on. He said that the night he killed Casey, which was July tenth.
Speaker 3: Twenty nineteen, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: They had been arguing and I guess she supposedly reached for a baseball bat that was near a recliner like in the I guess in the living room, and he said that she broadsided him, or she poked him, or she did something with it. Casey had no criminal record and there were no reports of Michael being violent with her in the past. Casey's sister, Sarah pleaded with her to leave Michael like in the past before this night, because I guess she had told Sarah that Michael had been violent. There were signs of physical abuse, but she stayed with Michael because she loved him, and probably because of the kids, and probably because she was a stay at home mom and she, you know, she might have felt trapped. I don't know. I'm not trying to speak for her, but I can imagine. And according to some reports, Michael was an ex marine, and it seemed that she needed the bat kind of to defend herself. Maybe, you know, that's what her family initially thought. According to Michael, he and Casey get into this argument and after or during she accuses him of cheating on her. While she was accusing him inside the home in Summerfield, she has this metal bat in her hand, and as it gets more heated, she pokes him. That sets him off. He grabs the baseball bat out of her hand and he whacks her in the hud with it. He then proceeds to pummel her to death by repeatedly bashing in her head with this aluminum baseball bat.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And after she was dead, Michael moved her body, placing it inside a plastic storage bin and he put the spin in the back of his closet in the home. And according to Michael in one of his interrogations, the kids were asleep when this happened, so they were home.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So now that she's out of the way, Michael decides he needs to get rid of the kids that weren't biologically his, which is Cameron and Preston. So for the next two weeks, Casey's body remained in the closet, and during these two weeks, her two sons went to spend time with their biological father. His name was Richard Bowers, and it was getting toward the end of the summer, so it's before the start of the next school year. They go to see their dad for a couple of weeks. Ayana and Mrcali were sent to see their grandmother, Nikki, you know Casey's mom, So they were gone for a couple of weeks, and when the four kids came back home to live with Michael, they had no idea what Michael had planned for them. The next morning, before school, Michael walked into Cameron's room, ripped him from his bed, and strangled him to death. Sadly, according to the police report, he kneeled on Cameron's chest to stop him from breathing and screaming while he used his hands for manual strangulation throughout the entire ordeal. Preston was asleep in the next room. Cameron's lifeless body was then placed into a suitcase while he took care of Preston. So Michael had exerted a lot of strength to kill Cameron, and his hands were really sore like afterwards, like boo fucking who, So he thought it was best to just like chill that full day and night so he could regain his strength to be able to kill Preston. Although Preston's like four, So I don't know how much strength you really need, but I mean, I don't know. I've never killed anybody, I guess, so.
Speaker 4: It does take quite a bit of strength to I mean, they make it look like it's super easy to strangle someone.
Speaker 2: To death, I know, And it takes a while with.
Speaker 4: Your bare hands. It takes eight fucking a lot. I mean, it really does make sense with even if he's nine. Yeah, and he's a psychopath anyway, Yeah, I'd imagine he's getting some kind of fucking who even knows what he's thinking?
Speaker 2: Number one?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, And this is just fucking sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as a marine, it seems like that would be how he killed his son.
Speaker 3: Or a step son. Would be a way to silently kill some an enemy, right, something that he would have learned in the Marines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's possible, right, So, and I just kept wondering, like why didn't Preston ask where Cameron was the next day? But I don't know, he's four, you know, Michael made up some bullshit, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure, Oh yeah, for the four year olds is totally gonna believe.
Speaker 2: Right, trust, yes, exactly. And I think they're like, where's mom? That's what I would think too. But anyway, so the following night, he goes into Preston's room to kill him. Upon honering his room, he puts a zip tie around the little boy's neck. He later confessed that he thought of using the zip tie after he struggled to kill Cameron. After placing the zip tie, he carried Preston into the bathroom. He then placed his body into the tub, put a rag in the drain, and then drowned Preston under the running bathtub faucet while pulling on the zip tie.
Speaker 4: He's a fucking cont God, damn, this is so disgusting.
Speaker 3: It's just so right. What a trigger.
Speaker 2: And he's got time, he's got time to think about this. Thank you could have stopped himself, Like, okay, maybe you snapped and killed Casey. Not that it's okay, but you know, over this heat of passion shit, you know, but the kids like, why don't you just send the boys to see their dad again? I don't want the fuck right, I don't eat.
Speaker 4: This is fucking sociopath shit, motherfucker. Oh tan, I just want them, you know, like the eye for eye shit's coming out real strong, right right.
Speaker 2: So Michael is telling the police during this interrogation that the timing around Cameron and Preston visiting their dad. The boys were gone for about two weeks to spend some time with their dad, you know, before school started again. They were brought back home on their scheduled drop off day, and they met at a common meeting place, which was a mall, like a local mall. Michael said that for a while, Richard, the boy's father, lost contact with everyone, and I'm thinking, like, over the years, maybe I basically fell off the face of the earth, is how Michael described it, like for a few years. Richard eventually got visitation rights, but they were unsure if they were court ordered at the time. That you know, Michael's telling the story right when the boys go to visit their dad. The girls were home with Michael and they go to Nicky's and then they come home after their visit and they were enrolled to start their next school year, but they never made it because they were also murdered. Michael said. He claimed that he thought about turning himself in before he killed his daughters, but apparently he decided against it since he really wasn't caught until he crashed that van.
Speaker 4: And then, yeah, yeah, but you wanted to share your thought about it.
Speaker 5: Eat a dick fuck, I know, right, Yeah, Remember I told you it took Nicky about six weeks to do this welfare chock and the missing person's report.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what contributed to it was Michael had Casey's smartphone and he would use it to keep her friends and family, you know, thinking that she was still alive. He confessed to texting people pretending to be her, and he even went as far as to post on Facebook using her profile, Oh my gosh, what a psycho Casey is. Older sister, who was named Sarah, actually called the police to report that she had been seeing some alarming things on her sister's Facebook page after she gotten a hold of an officer who was working the case. Sarah said that she would talk to Casey at least once every two weeks, depending on, you know, what was going on in their lives. The weird thing was she hadn't heard from Casey since August twenty sixth, and the only thing she actually saw from her sister was a post that you know, supposedly Casey made on her own profile about losing everything.
Speaker 3: So you know, that was August.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was at the end of August. So since Casey had been dead since light tenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm trying to map out.
Speaker 2: This, Yes, like six weeks. Her family had no idea she wasn't the one texting and posting on Facebook to make things even more worrisome for Sarah. Casey's oldest son's birthday had gone by and so did Sarah's, and Casey didn't reach out in regard to either one of them on their birthdays or like post about her son, didn't wish Sarah a happy birthday, So Sarah knew that something's wrong because Casey always posted about birthdays on Facebook. Right a few weeks prior to the missing persons report, Nikki had gotten a text from Casey's phone. The text message was Michael, because Casey was dead by this time, asking if she could watch the girls for a while. Nicki later said that Michael was bying time and he was using Casey's phone to do so. When Nicky agreed to watch the kids, she was expecting to see her daughter at the drop off, but since she was already dead, Michael was the one who left the kids with Nicki. A few days prior to the original pickup date, Michael again texted from Casey's phone and asked Nicky if she could watch the girls for a few more days. She of course agreed to. I don't know why he just didn't leave them but yeah, you know, Throughout the entire time she was watching the girls, Nicky had zero communication with Casey, verbal or otherwise, and since this was highly unusual, alarm bells had already started going off and Nicky's head, but she waited to act on it because she's probably thinking, you know, everything's fine, you know. So she was stunned after Michael came alone again to pick up the girls without Casey, especially after the text messages all came from Casey's phone. When it was time for the boys to come home from their dad's house, Michael used her phone to communicate with Richard to make it seem like Casey was still alive. He eventually confessed to smashing her phone and throwing it into a dumpster. Richard later called the police after seeing a Facebook post. The post was an announcement asking that anyone called the Marion County Police Department if they had any information. When he called the police, he was actually asking for more information about his ex wife, since to his knowledge, there was nothing wrong, because I think it might have been something about her like the missing prit He and Casey never kept in constant contact with one another, but they would communicate from time to time using a cell phone app for their child custody agreement.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Richard told officers that it was really alarming to him since Casey had not posted anything on Facebook since the end of August, and she would post at least once a day. I like how the social media like you know, people's habits, right.
Speaker 3: Why it's a good way to keep tabs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. After speaking with Sarah and Richard, a bolo, which is beyond the lookout, was sent out for the white Chrysler PACIFICA. Richard Bowers did end up calling the police department again and he left a voicemail upon the returned call. Richard had quite a bit to say about Michael's treatment toward Cameron, specifically during the time that Richard had the boys in July and again in August. Cameron actually told him that Michael was physically abusive toward him and Preston. He also noted that he and Casey fought a lot, like he told his dad, you know, mom and Michael fight a lot, and that the fights between Casey and Michael were almost every single night. Cameron told his dad that these fights would go on for hours and they eventually became physical. Wow, yeah, Richard, let the officers know that Michael beat Cameron and Preston with close hangers whenever he got angry.
Speaker 3: I hate, I know, as if there was a measure.
Speaker 4: Do you think that Casey's mom he had a feeling? You know, in abusive relationships, you have this timecy to portray like old's not as bad as it seems, right, Just this is just a spat, This is just a phase moms.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I think she knew something was off.
Speaker 4: Something, Yeah, I was, you know, like but hoping like because because if you go after as a momy, you're like, I hate this fucker. Well guess how tighter she's gonna hold on to him?
Speaker 2: Right, So you got to help.
Speaker 3: And be all like, okay, because of my.
Speaker 4: Daughter, you getting or getting a huge blessing, which is my acception, you know, or I'm holding my tongue because it's just.
Speaker 2: I wonder too, like did Sarah, her sister, ever say anything to their mom, Like was she like, oh, Keitha told me, you know, such and such, Like I wonder if they were if they had that kind of relationship or if it was just something wonder and Sarah, But yeah, Ni Nicky knew something was wrong, and you know, I think when stuff like this happens, you think, Okay, there's got to be a logical explaination, right, Like it can't be the worst. Like you know, of course you're gonna think the worst. Like that's always where my mind goes, like, Oh, she's dead, right, But you're you're like, okay, no, she's it's probably okay. She's just busy the school, yeah, starting you know, she's getting whatever ready for the kids, and you know she just hasn't had time to call or you know whatever. But then when Michael shows up again, like to pick up the kids, I'd be like, what.
Speaker 3: Like why am I keep seeing you? But I'm not hearing enough from my daughter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're going on, you know.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Richard also said that Michael had a warrant out for his arrest a few years prior to the disappearances, and the incident that led to that was it happened in Orange County. Michael burglarized his place of work, that veterinary hospital. That's probably why he got fired, so when he warrant was still out on him. Richard said that Casey rented out a storage unit and kept Michael in there so police couldn't find him. Casey really loved Michael, I mean, and it was pretty clear that she would have done anything for him, regardless of how she was treated. I mean, she was really loyal in that way.
Speaker 3: Oh so poisonous to her.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can call it loyalty, right, And I'm not bashing her at all. It's just what happens in these very hard you know, where a bigger heart, but then someone else has a more manipulative, right, harmful, but you have no Yeah, like you said, like you don't think it's as bad as your first ping pong thought of going to the worst somewhere in an acceptable medium, you know, a digestible medium.
Speaker 3: This is like I'm vomiting all this up, you know, in.
Speaker 4: A angry way, for the kids and for her.
Speaker 3: I know, it's just the kid.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that piece should I know. So Michael waited two whole weeks before he killed his two daughters, so he had a shit ton of time.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, exactly decided not thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So somewhere around August twenty third, he was served in eviction notice, so he knew his time's running out like the clock is ticking for how long he has to be there. He eventually drowned Murcallay and Ayana, just as he did to Cameron. And after Michael killed his five family members, he packed their bodies into individual plastic toats, put them in the white mini van and he left them there. So he knows he's going to be kicked out, so he is trying to come up with a plan, like what is he going to do? So on September one, Michael drove to visit his first wife, Sarah, and I'm not sure why, but police spoke with his ex wife. Sarah confirmed that she never saw Cameron, Preston, mrcalli, or Ayana when he came to visit. He came alone. She also said that Michael's older son that he had with her commented that the white minivan smelled like dead animals. Oh, the bodies are still in the minivan like when he goes to visit them, and he tried using a cleaning spray and mothballs to mask the smell of their decomposing bodies. During one of his interrogations with police, Michael was told that the decomposition could be smelled as far away as fifty feet. That's quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He then asked if anyone spoke to Michael about the smell, like, you know, dude, did anybody mention it? When you were.
Speaker 4: Anybody address slopping as a marine? I would think he had a little experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's visiting his ex wife and his older children, Like, did anybody mention it? And He's like, no, nobody ever said a word to him about the smell. Michael was asked if he could smell anything, could you smell it? And Michael said, well, once you got up to it, like right before you opened a container, you could smell it. But he claimed, you know, you couldn't smell it. He did say there were flies flying around everywhere, so he would spray a fly spray, like a killing spray around to help mask the smell and to get the flies out. When the police asked him, you know, why did you kill Casey, he said their marriage had been falling apart for quite some time, and then he said, quote, it just got worse, like little things all the time with her. She would come at me and we'd argue it never it never really got physical. Quote, yeah, Oh it's her fault. It's her fault. She came at him all the time. She's just about right, you know. She learned that she wouldn't leave alone.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, try to hold him accountable. Get a job, Yeah, you get a job. Can you support the house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. The detective moved on from that discussion and asked Michael to explain why he killed not only Casey, but her kids and his own two little girls. He's trying to get Michael to open up about his reasoning behind it all. The detective told him he understand why he would kill Casey, but he needed Michael to explain why he killed the children.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, after some back and forth, the detective told Michael that his DNA was going to be taken and gathered for evidence, and then he would be transferred over to the county jail to await his initial court hearing. The detective explained that when someone's arrested for a felony, DNA can be gathered, and he explained that this is going to happen right then and there. Richard, Bauers and Nikki also gave DNA swabs. They did it voluntarily where they swabbed the inside of your mouth. The detective went over to the table where supplies were being stored. He put on some gloves. He grabbed two long que tips and he swabbed them along the inside of Michael's cheeks like he didn't protest. Right before the detective left, he thanked Michael for his cooperation, and that's when he let him know that he was going to be charged with four counts of first degree murder for the children, with an additional second degree murder charge for Casey. The detective said there may be more charges added on regarding the remains of each victim. Michael kept his head down and he kept shaking his head in agreement with what the detective was saying. The detective then thinked to begin and he left and Michael was transferred to the jail.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, time, just I'm sorry, Tyy. I don't mean to keep interrupting, you know, it's just so much to.
Speaker 4: Like like that's like the only good thing is he was able to just be forthcoming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they didn't pull the information out of him, yes, right, or.
Speaker 4: Or barter or you know, and he was very forthcoming even on the traffic stop, you know right away.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, I know, I know it's it's so much. It's just the story is so fucking disturbing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, it's just because of the breaks and of course everything with children, Yeah, like betting in everything with children, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm just I never understand how people can kill not only their children, but any children. I mean, yes, so like how can you kill your own child? Like how are you holding your eleven month old baby under the bathroom faucet and fucking drowning her?
Speaker 3: Like it's exactly, it's I don't know what. It's hard. Yeah, it's hard to put like when I do the p put myself in their shoes kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is so hard for me to get there mentally because they're so scrambled and fucked up.
Speaker 3: It's scary. I don't get what. Yeah, same thing, and it's just and then like the breaks, those fucking weeks like yes, lead the girls with Nikki, what you've already done to the boys.
Speaker 2: Is ugh, and then they're in fucking plastic bins for weeks and weeks and weeks.
Speaker 3: Like to sit in that smell is un evil that because that smell is evil to me. It's just very I.
Speaker 2: Don't even don't I don't know how they did it.
Speaker 3: I just see either eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Blood was found inside the home. In the home in Summerfield. It was on the floors the ceiling. DNA was gathered from the bodily fluids that were located inside and outside the closet door frame inside the master bedroom. The toothbrushes that belonged to the children were taken into evidence to compare with DNA found at the home. Blood was also found inside the master bathroom floor and baseboards, and the same was found in the spare bathroom bathtub. Two bloody knives were also found in the van. I don't know what those were for. Bodily fluid was found all over the van's interior and DNA was also gathered from the vans airbags, seatbelts, handles, shifters, and doors. According to the police reports, a shower curtain with quote suspected bodily fluids was also seized from the van, along with fifty gallon toats, along with a comforter that had duct tape and rope intertwined. Empty beer cans and empty prescription bottles were taken into evidence by the Brantley County Police Department that were also found in the van. I can only imagine this place was a fucking pigsie.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: When you said about the the shower curtain, I'm like, okay, that's how he dragged the toats over to the van. You know, have he's had him stacked, then you can just finally fluid spill out. It's on the curtain. Yeah, you know, you got to take the practicality and then apply it to the sociopathic cold detach its more than detachment. But oh right, I know, it's just I know, I'm time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Police also searched Sarah Jones's house, Michael's ex wife, and they found a baseball dad that was taken into evidence. So I don't know if that was the bat he killed Pacey with or I don't fucking know. So, as you know, Michael when he was when he crashed the mini van, He's found with only Casey's body, right, Okay, So where are Cameron, Preston, Murcali and Ayana? Eventually Michael leads the police to their shallow graves. The bodies were buried in the woods not far from where he crashed the van, which was off of Highway three oh one. He had actually just got done bearing all the children right before the crash. I think he was just like, I gotta get the fuck out of here, and he probably.
Speaker 4: Lost right, yeah good, got got caught up in the yea his own ship.
Speaker 2: Nine year old Cameron was buried in a gray colored plastic tote, while his clothes were placed in a trash bag and stored in a red suitcase. Little Preston was buried in a pink plastic tote and he was found with the zip tie still around his neck. Mercali and Ayana were buried in the same blue plastic tote. With all the evidence that was gathered against Michael, he kind of knew that he was fucked right, so he pleaded guilty to all five charges, which was one second degree murder charge like I told you for Casey, and four first degree murder charges because they were definitely premeditated of the children.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And at this time when he was sentenced, he was forty one years old. We're in Florida because that's where the crimes took place, and Florida has death penalty, so he was sentenced to death by a unanimous vote in September of this year. So just last month, the Supreme Court heard arguments for his death penalty sentence to be appealed, and the ruling has not yet been made as of the writing of the story, which was about a week or so ago, so I didn't check it today if the decision has been released.
Speaker 4: But I am going to put out there and like all of us who are list that like good energy, that it sticks that he fucking does not get overturned. He gets the death penalty. Well, and then I'm sure there's here. I am pushing my own agenda and it's not my agenda. I guess it's just how I this motherfucker.
Speaker 3: I don't He doesn't deserve to anything.
Speaker 2: He's a fucking waste of space, yes, waste of air, waste of tax dollars. And I don't know, I've always been. I mean, it's so funny when you hurt.
Speaker 4: In a sense and to do it so fucking systematically. Are you kidding about the zip ties?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I can't even letn pump the brakes if you. Everybody has their own opinions. But I know what I'm The kind of energy I'm putting out doesn't make me good, doesn't make me anything doesn't make me bad. I hope it stands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, or maybe he gets his ass beaten in prison like Jeffrey Dahmer did. I mean, I'm not saying, you know, somebody.
Speaker 3: Should do I hear you. I ain't putting it.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it should be done, but you know, it's something that wait.
Speaker 3: I ain't saying shit, no, but you know what people are ready to do with it? And I do, and I can't understand getting more and more.
Speaker 4: I guess maybe less judgmental about a more direct form of justice to protect children that are here as well. Right, so we can't forget what is here before us, right, which are women and children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to keep checking back and seeing absolutely gets overturned or if they affirm it. I'm I can't imagine what his arguments would be. I mean, he can he confessed any pled guilty, so that was to the you know, to the convictions. So I mean, what could he possibly say he had a fucked up childhood? Like what are his you know, contributing?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Nothing, I mean the children.
Speaker 4: You it's something that some life that could not defend itself, you were called on to defend it and what did you do to it?
Speaker 3: Right? You destroyed it? To it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he destroyed it, and.
Speaker 3: So I mean that's where my passion.
Speaker 2: They just you know, you have to argue like the mitigating factors or whatever. And I just can't imagine. You know, everybody's entitled to an appeal whatever, blah blah blah blah. That's my opinion, lawyer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me say all the right things.
Speaker 4: And I'm not you know, it might not be a popular opinion. It's simply my opinion. And you know, fearce Mama, their energy will not be stopped definitely. So yeah, thank you, You're welcome. Are those kids from the memory and Casey and just.
Speaker 2: I know the only thing gives me comfort is there together exactly. Yes, you know, I just it's so horrible.
Speaker 4: It's just the yes to get you have to keep going, yeah, try to get this place better.
Speaker 2: So ah, any well, thank you everyone for listening to this week's episode. Don't forget to hit like or subscribe. If you would like more episodes that are not released to the public, you can go on Patreon dot com, slash t nt Crimes, or you can subscribe through the Apple podcast app and s cana and I will release an episode one episode week that is never released to the public. You can go to our website. Shannon has updated it now, it's all updated.
Speaker 3: I feel so freaking accomplished. I know.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Shannon.
Speaker 3: That was my pleasure. I'm so glad.
Speaker 2: So we are all caught up. It's recent and you can go there if you want to listen. That's one of the reasons why we like to put the episodes there because you can listen through the website. But also we have merchandise that Shane and I are also going to update, probably in the time before the holiday season.
Speaker 4: We are on the precipice of something so cool. Yes, I'm so excited to fall upon for this to befall us.
Speaker 2: Yes, so just check it out. And that's Crimes and Consequences dot com. So anyway, that's the end of the episode today. So thank you Shannon again and.
Speaker 4: Tan yeah yeah, and you guys until next time, stay cool, and I love you until next time, Kanye, I always love you, Love you, Bye girl bye
Speaker 5: MHM.