Speaker 1: Eight minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 2: It is a lovely, beautiful May Tuesday outside, about seventy seven degrees clear and sunny here in downtown Salt.
Speaker 1: Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 2: And as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride. Spence Checkets behind the Mike Port, Larson behind the glass. Happy Memorial Day weekend to you in the rear view mirror. Hope you had some time off like we did yesterday. Going to be back on air on this Tuesday afternoon. A lot has happened since you and I last spoke on Friday afternoon of last week. Of course, the NBA playoffs continue to roll along, both in the West and the East. The Oklahoma City Thunder are high speed ahead to not just the NBA Finals, but most likely an NBA Championship.
Speaker 1: Just a heavyweight fight.
Speaker 2: Last night in Minneapolis saw OKC beat the Minnesota Timberwolves in a game where the Timberwolves really did a lot, did a lot of good things, a lot of good things. And we'll get into it and we'll kind of preview what's next.
Speaker 1: In the West. Of course, in the East, since you I last spoke, the New.
Speaker 2: York Knicks resurrected their chances for now to make this a series. I still have serious reservations about whether or not this thing is going to go more than five or six games. But we have a massive game for tonight in Indiana where the New York Knicks will try to tie the series up at two games apiece after.
Speaker 1: Just a big boy win, man, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: It was a gutty win over the weekends where the Knicks were able to beat the Pacers one oh six, one hundred on Sunday Sunday evening, and now we march on to tonight to see how it may go.
Speaker 1: Indiana is a slight favorite.
Speaker 2: They're a two point five point favorite of the last check, and of course they lead the series two one, and we go back to gain Bridge Field House in Indianapolis, Indiana. If the Knicks can get it tonight back to MSG deadlock to two. So we'll get to the latest with the NBA postseason. We'll get to the latest with the NBA draft, as the Utah Jazz are just a number of weeks away now from making a couple of selections. Well, they have two first round picks, they have two second round picks. We'll see if they keep all four picks or if they decide to do something different than that, and then we'll get to some offseason stuff, because a lot of interesting potential targets for teams if they want to get aggressive, whether it's free.
Speaker 1: Agency or trades.
Speaker 2: And the Jazz are in the mix of teams that have a bevy of assets that might interest teams that need draft capital and clean books if they want to jettison some talent that hasn't worked. A big story out of the news college football.
Speaker 1: Broke a few hours ago.
Speaker 2: Greg Sankee has announced that the SEC will be breaking away from the NCAA effective for the twenty twenty eight twenty twenty nine academic calendar year. It's not that surprising, but to hear it and see it and understand that it's actually official is really jarring.
Speaker 1: This is a.
Speaker 2: Sport that continues to be ever changing, almost on a day by day basis. It's hard to exactly know what it's going to look like just in a couple of months, let alone.
Speaker 1: A couple of years.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to the latest out of the world of college football OTAs in the NFL, Aaron Rodgers is still playing Possum.
Speaker 1: Apparently he wants to retire a Packer.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that would look like, but ultimately I still think he lands with Pittsburgh. So that's kind of a big story making the rounds today. Throughout the course of the news cycle, we have four Utah Mammoth players that are gold medal winners as the United States of America won the World Hockey Championships for the first time since nineteen thirty three, a ninety two year drought over Clayton Keller, your captain, Logan, Cooley, Josh done, all of them really big time contributors again.
Speaker 1: Clayton was the captain of Team USA.
Speaker 2: Logan was second on the team in points and gold medals. Around the next of four u Tom Mammoth players, Amelka also was in the tournament.
Speaker 1: So we'll do a little hockey.
Speaker 2: Of course, the battle for Lord Stanley's Cup rolls.
Speaker 1: On in the world of professional hockey.
Speaker 2: We've got some more playoff hockey to get to with the Oilers taking on the Stars. Carolina actually was able to get one with Florida. Man, they might just win the whole thing. Stars Oilers Tonight at six o'clock in Edmonton. Edmonton leads that series two to one. Stars will try to get even tonight. So we'll do the latest on the hockey playoffs as well.
Speaker 1: What did we ask of.
Speaker 2: Our local soccer club when we second night on Friday?
Speaker 1: We asked for a goal. They gave us two.
Speaker 2: The problem is the other team scored three, and if I do some quick math, that equals another loss for OURSL, a home loss for RSL to Vancouver over the weekend, and now we say goodbye to Diego Luna for at least a month and a half, if not more.
Speaker 1: And when the.
Speaker 2: Offense has been even kind of effective about ninety percent of the time it's in included Diego Luna. This feels like a lost season. I don't know what else to say about it. Failures from the front office in the previous ownership. This is not on the Millers, So save your polls that you put out on social media.
Speaker 1: They just barely took over.
Speaker 2: But certainly Ryan Smith Dave Blitzer, the previous ownership group who decided to not reinvest the funds they were able to snag as a result of moving on from some of the most talented pieces need to wear this because I don't know if there's any way back for ourselves.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be a really, really long season without a lot of hope. Quite frankly so.
Speaker 2: Local soccer club, local hockey club, local basketball team. Latest in the world of college football, of course, NBA playoffs, Stanley Cup playoffs, OTA's in the NFL, A little bit of everything on this Tuesday afternoon edition after being off on Monday.
Speaker 1: So thank you for riding along with us on this beautiful day.
Speaker 2: Our first guest today Rafael Barlow, who took over from our old friend Chad Ford. Front of the program, chat Ford Shout Out Ford, NBA Big Board Podcasts, NBA big board dot Com. If you want to learn about some of the prospects that could be on the board at five, Raphael's an excellent, excellent asset and resource for you. He's gonna hop on right out of the gates today. Our buddy Lee ellis to talk some NBA playoffs on the program. Richard Smith forty years with Utah Jazz front office, live and studio for an entire hour, and then Voice of the Royals, Voice of the Stars, host of the Roundball Roundup podcast on the Utah Jazz podcast Network, but most importantly, the former producer of this radio show JP John Paul Chunga will stop buying a Tuesday afternoon, So good guest list today with a lot to get to with Rafael Barlow, Lee Ellis, Richard Smith, JP Chunga me, Spence check. It's all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson on a Tuesday afternoon. I sent you the text, Man, don't let us get tonight, don't let us get game four.
Speaker 1: Do not do it.
Speaker 2: Let us win Game four. That's all I'm gonna say right out of the gates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be more along the lines of how I feel, Spence. If I hadn't seen the Knicks lose the way they did in Game one, right, if I hadn't seen the roller coaster that these that these playoffs have been, you know, I would say that. But because of what I've seen and because it's the New York Knicks, if we win Game four, great, But that doesn't necessarily give me confidence we're winning the series. But it would put a lot of pressure back on Indiana. It gives the Nicks another chance at the at the Garden, and uh, I think they get it.
Speaker 1: Done. So there's my take on that one.
Speaker 2: You think they win to night, I do, wow, I do, okay, and I think that.
Speaker 1: Don't quote me. I think the Knicks are winning the series. Oh okay, Now, now you need to calm down, all right.
Speaker 2: When we were on the show on Friday, you were basically in tears, and now you think they're gonna win the series.
Speaker 1: I just try to give you the life of a Knicks fan. Okay.
Speaker 3: It's up and down, it's it's very much a bipolar experience and I'm just living it. And listen, it's the Eastern Conference finals. Man, how many times in my life. Listen, I've lived now over a quarter century, and I've experienced this one time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna enjoy it. I'm gonna lean in. You should enjoy it. I mean Game three was fun.
Speaker 2: Kat earned his Nick uniform and then did not have a New York accent after the game.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happened. He lost his New York accent after the game.
Speaker 3: I need like his urgency to be a little more consistent. I just I don't under Sometimes he just looks like he's It's not that he doesn't play hard, it just looks like sometimes he's not all there and then he realizes, Oh, I'm like one of the better players in the world. I have to turn it on and then you see what kat is. I don't understand why it's so off and on, but I guess that's that's the experience of being a Knicks fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, so we'll see what happens tonight.
Speaker 2: I want to remind you guys that Live Now Events presents the twenty twenty five Granary Live Concert Series. If you've not been to Granary, it rules. It's one of my favorite venues we have in the entire state. I believe camp is coming in a couple of weeks. I'll be there, so come by and say what's up. Powered by Nightingale College in Murdoch, Hundai Utah is number one Hundai dealer. Experience outdoor concerts in the heart of downtown Salt Lakes Granary District. Find more details on ESPN seven hunderdsports dot com. All right, our first guest today Rafael Barlow to Toxin NBA Draft. But before we bring in Rafael on a Tuesday afternoon, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one Sports Talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Cash in on the Basketball Playoffs with Prize Picks. Don't miss your chance to add your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick of more or less for a shot to went up to two thousand times your cash. Today, turn your playoff takes and the tickets to Basketball Championship Series starting with the play in round.
Speaker 1: Every lineup you make on Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Winter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which we get you in a plus one at VIP trip to the ship. So download the Prize Picks app today use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out. They're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 1: That's right, do you need? Do you not even have to win.
Speaker 2: That five dollars lineup to get the fifty It's on the house. So download the Prize Picks app today use the promo code ESPN seven hundred. You will get fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars. Lineup Prize picks, run your game all season long. All right tonight, I'm going there are a couple easy ones tonight if you want to download the Prize Picks app, get that free money. I will take more on Miles McBride four point five points.
Speaker 1: That means he has to a three into two. That's it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take more on TJ McConnell as much as I want to ring that little dude's neck eight points. I'm gonna take less on Andrew Nemhart eleven point five points. I will go more on Jalen Brunson thirty points. I think he's gonna have a big game tonight. And then I'm gonna go more on Pascal Siakam seventeen point five points. Shoutout, prize pick. Should be a fun game tonight. All right, A couple things here. We'll start last night. I like to be more reactive to something that just went down immediately, where the Minnesota Timberwolves probably beat almost every team in the League last night besides the team they were playing. So last night to me was far more about Okac than anything that had to do with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Even though the narrative today and the conversation today has been surrounding Anthony Edwards and Aunt's inability to kind of get space and ability to take more than thirteen shots, I find that to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what happened last night. Okay, So where I do think you can take a little bit of umbridge with Aunt is what happened when he gave the ball up. Okay, Because when he had the ball, they ran two defenders at him. Literally every time he drove one hundred percent of Ant's drives. He was double team last night. And what Oklahoma City decided to do is not let Ant do last night what he did in Game three, and that is get off early. So as soon as Aunt caught it, you could tell that there was a shadow defender waiting to run at him. Right when Aunt put the ball in the deck. They didn't double team on the catch. They doubled team on the dribble, okay, so they would force Ant to pick up the dribble. Then he's in jail, and you can't just four shots to four shots one of the things. And I love the inside inside Guys Inside the NBA on TNT. Love those guys one of my favorite shows ever. Okay, but ultimately I remind people all the time it is an entertainment product. And for how amazing they were at playing basketball, they're not great at breaking basketball games down. You'll get some salient points. Chuck is the man, Kenny is. Kenny Shack has never said anything where I'm like, oh, that's smart.
Speaker 1: I should listen to more Shack takes. But Kenny always says.
Speaker 2: Something like, I don't know if you're hot or cold unless you force, you know, eighteen to twenty shots if you're a great player. And that's to me, that's a fundamental flaw in analyzing what we saw last night because after the game, Ann was asked whether or not he thought he played poorly and he said, no, I feel like I made the right play mostly every time. And you know what he did, because here's the deal. What Mark Dagnall did last night for stretches is he went small. He sat Isaiah Hartenstein, he played chet at the five, and then his four perimeter defenders surrounding Chet Holgrin as you're rim protecting long five, and Chat's a very good rim protector, a very good shot blocker, a very good shot changer. He had three blocks last night, altered a bunch of others. And then on the perimeter, it's Lou Dort, who plays defense like a middle linebacker. It's Sga who is six', Eight It's Jalen, williams who's a first Team ALL nba caliber. Defender and then you can kind of match a little bit With Alex caruso And case And, wallace both of whom are absolute pit. Bulls, okay so on multiple, possessions and you can go back and look at some of this stuff On senergie Or clean The glass or. Whatever there were dribble handoffs and different off ball actions to Get ant the ball and then get him. Involved and you Saw Lou dort suddenly pass him off To Jalen, williams and Then Jalen williams Passing ant off To Alex, caruso and Then Cason wallace blitzing screens to double Team Anthony. Edwards like those are four slash five depending on who's the game of the, time absolute dogs on the perimeter when it comes to, guarding and their whole plan Was ant will not beat, us, period end of. Story, okay WHERE i was a little bit disappointed is some of the off ball action After aunt would give the ball, up because you still have the ability to get involved in the. Play and if they're gonna run you off your, line if they're gonna blitch you every, time if they're gonna double team every drive to fort to give it up to, teammates your only course of action is finding space off the. Ball And ant was not engaged BECAUSE i think he was. FRUSTRATED i think he was. Tired but the fact of the matter Is minnesota scored forty one points in the fourth quarter on fifty four percent field goal shooting against one of the best defenses of this. Generation last night was not About. Ant it was not About. Minnesota minnesota was. Good it was a, good roody. Game it was the Best dante De vincenzo game of the. Playoffs it may have been the best Game i've ever seen a Kil Alexander walker. Play a guy who played, here, well a guy who was on the team. HERE i never really fully understood why he couldn't get more. Run BUT i don't know That i've ever seen to Kill. Alexander Alexander walker play like that, again Best dante game of the, playoffs you, know, ultimately And i'm not going to do The randall. Stuff you know HOW i feel About Julius. Randall like for the last three or four, years as The knick started to get a little bit, better whenever anybody would ask, me what do you think about The, michael what do you think About Julius randall as your number two offensive option when it. Matters he's not a bad, player, okay and he's had some great playoff games this, year better playoff performances than we've ever seen. Before the second straight, Game Julius randall was watching on the bench in the fourth quarter because he was entirely unengaged one of seven from the, floor five, points five, turnovers disengaged defensively like it was a Pathetic Julius randall. Game but what stood out more Was Oklahoma city answered every Punch minnesota Through Nikille.
Speaker 1: Alexander walker with his step back, three which he never.
Speaker 2: Does Dante DiVincenzo corner three money Go, bear causing problems in the pain not a great Mic conny game last, night But nazrid came off the bench gave him some good minutes like ultimately And Terren Shannon, junior who by the, way was a hell of a college player At. Illinois he's kind of been a revelation for. Them minnesota was really really good last. Night but what you saw on the other side is. Plead this a team that's, ready a team In Oklahoma city that's far more ready than anybody, thought including, myself based off their lack of track record of deep playoff. RUNS i just always have a tough time AND i always hesitate to anoint a team that has not had a ton of playoff experience, together and this group. Hasn't but you know, what they're. Ready doesn't. MATTER i don't know if they grew up in The denver. SERIES i don't. Know if it's just a coach who completely has the polts of his team and a personnel built By Sam presty that has eleven or twelve players that can all really. Go you, Know Mark dagnold has trimmed his lineup a little. Bit he's mostly playing nine. Guys Isaiah joe gets a little run here. There the Other Jalen williams only came in last night to box out on the final. Possession so this has really been an eight slash nine man, unit but a team that has eleven or twelve guys that can all really really. Play and ultimately we're watching the emergence of one of the top two or three players in pro basketball right, now and that is Shape Gilgess, alexander your DESERVING, mvp who has just understood exactly how to do what he wants to, do regardless of who the primary defender. Is he can get to his. Spots he understands, angles and, yes the falling down like you've been shot by a sniper when there's minimal, contact it's a little bit, unappealing but that does not put him in rarefied air like he's AVERAGING i think eight point four free throws per game all year. Long That's, lebronish like that's. Durantish that's like ball dominant offensive.
Speaker 1: Wing you are in charge of making us.
Speaker 2: Go and once you understand your, angles understand how to get to your, spots part of the skill set and the tool belt you need is to draw. Fouls get the other team in foul, trouble get free points to expedite inefficient, offense get to the free throw line and get dunks and, threes like it's not that.
Speaker 1: Hard but WHAT sga has learned how to do.
Speaker 2: Is dominate the game as an individual offensive initial ciator with a tool belt and the skill set that is totally. Complete and he is six' eight and he, is built and he is sturdy and. HE guards i think it's a. Corny group i'm not gonna lie like they're stuff after the game where, It's, like okay if one person, is interviewed we're all gonna stand here until the. Interview's over then we're gonna walk in the locker, room together, all right nerds and the dancing. The tiktoks like. It's corny i'm not. Gonna lie this is a. Corny group it's hard to like, him individually but it's hard to deny and argue with their RESULTS because i Really think minnesota beats almost every team in pro basketball last night with the way they played and the game plan they had Outside Of, oklahoma CITY and i just feel like it's time to say, out loud this team's gonna WIN The. NBA championship i Don't think minnesota is getting back in this three to one ninety two percent of. THE time, i, think, actually no it's ninety four percent of. THE time i believe In The western finals playoffs overall that if you're up three, to one you're gonna win. The THING and i just Don't think Indiana Or new york has the depth or, quite frankly the athleticism and the connectivity on both ends of the Floor That oklahoma city has.
Speaker 1: Right now it's the best team in.
Speaker 2: Pro basketball and If, YOU'RE minnesota i think you'll hold your head high because you gave it your best, last night but you lost to the best team in. The League, all right we'll get To The knicks. PACERS tonight i would. Imagine That, tom thibodeau and by, the way thank.
Speaker 1: You Coach?
Speaker 2: On friday what did we ask? Out loud can you get ten Minutes From? Landry shammitt can you get fifteen Minutes From? Delan wright are you gonna rush off Precious? Precious achiua will you extend your bench a little bit so your starters don't look like they're dying at the end of the?
Speaker 1: Fourth Quarter, and tom?
Speaker 2: Did it we saw Former You delon wright play a solid defensive. Thirteen Minutes landry shammitt a solid defensive. Thirteen minutes Gainsmanship From rick carlisle after, the game saying it.
Speaker 1: Was hard because they were playing their best.
Speaker 2: Defensive players the only play in the rotation that was not playing in the fourth quarter due to foul Trouble Was, jalen brunson and it's Clear that indiana wants To hunt jalen as much as they. Possibly Can mitchell robinson got the Start. FOR joshart I give josh so much credit for continuing to play his. Tail off he's one of the most unique REBOUNDING wings I think i've, ever seen and his rebounding was as important as anything else to that game. Three win he had ten boards after coming off, the bench And The mitchell robinson.
Speaker 1: Thing, Works man. It's real he's, playing really.
Speaker 2: Really well when give, An Opportunity Karl anthony towns twenty points in the. Fourth quarter without, that spurt they. Are dead they were down twenty in the. SECOND quarter i do think one of the more under talked about dynamics is how they closed the second quarter to actually pull it, within thirteen and they got it done down the stretch and it sets up, a massive massive. Game tonight it should be great theater And it's nicks Pacers, From indianapolis, Game four indiana trying to take that three to one lead the next trying to it up and send it back To The GARDEN Tours. Nba playoffs top of mind awareness right NOW with okc taking a three to one Lead over minnesota In The New york knicks attempting to even things up Tonight. Against indiana that is a six o'clock tip turner has it for.
Speaker 1: You tonight it IS.
Speaker 2: On, tnt however we are only weeks away FROM The. Nba draft we'll HAVE Great nba draft coverage. FOR you i will anchor our Coverage Alongside, Gordy Chiason, Richard Smith basketball Lifers With.
Speaker 1: Utah jazz let's get to know some of.
Speaker 5: These.
Speaker 1: Prospects now it's.
Speaker 2: Been, a Minute But, RAPHAEL barlow Nba, BIG board Nba big Board, dot com our guest On a, Tuesday, Afternoon Raphael, happy, Tuesday sir how?
Speaker 1: Are you i'm?
Speaker 5: Doing great how are you guys?
Speaker 2: Doing well appreciate, your time, simple question right off. The, top okay in, your opinion best case scenario For The utah jazz at five is which prospect And Why.
Speaker 5: Tray johnson simple questions. For Me trey johnson LED the sec and SCORING at i think this year's crop of teams IN the sec is the best group of teams he's ever had in, the conference and the number of teams that they got IN the ncaa tournament reflects that he LED the sec. In scorings he shot thirty nine percent from three on about six attempts, per game and a lot of those attempts were. Heavily contested it wasn't like he was getting open catch and shoot catch and. Shoot threes he's a much better passer than he's given. Credit for he can play off. THE ball i Think That tray johnson should be and arranged to go as high as as. Number three so if he falls to you call a, NUMBER five i think you have your your go to score of.
Speaker 2: The, Future, Okay So trey johnson best case scenario in your opinion, at five as, you reference you know a lot of buzz around this kid over the past three or four weeks that indicate maybe he's not there. At Five, so raphael if we operate off the assumption and the premise that a team in the top four falls in Love with trey secondary best case scenario For the jazz at Five if trey is off.
Speaker 1: The board.
Speaker 5: That's where it gets tough because you Look at Utah and i've actually talked to some different scouts About the, jazz roster and you just need to like really really hit on on on one of, your picks and maybe not necessarily hit this year because there's a there's there's a kid that's going to be playing a provo next year that's that pretty pretty Dynamic and ajdvasa that that could be available if you if this or next season is similar to. This season but with that being IN my, I mean i've Heard That ace bailey could.
Speaker 6: COULD fall i.
Speaker 5: Mean there's some teams that really Like common moley watch and in his future as far as it's been a rim protector and and floor space or. Defensive anchor teams REALLY. Like, VJ edgecombe I Like. JEREMIAH fears i think that he has the chance to be a star in. This League But isaiah kallier was really Good for utah. Last year what does that Mean? For collier you already have based off Of today Clarkson and Sexton. And KIANTE so I think utah has a really really. Difficult choice but if Eighth Or trey johnson falls, to them that would. Be great but other, THAN that I just i'm having a hard time about who could be, the best the best Option.
Speaker 1: For utah is there any chance that you come is there? At five any chance?
Speaker 7: At?
Speaker 5: ALL yeah i, THINK so i really. THINK so i just don't think that would be a good Fit for utah simply because, is he, you know like a. Dominant scorer is he the type of player that's going to be able to knock down. Open jumpers is he guy that's, going TO like, i said be a creator off. THE dribble i just don't know if if he, Provides that AND but i think he can't. BE available i really.
Speaker 2: Do So if i'm, understanding correctly if Both edge Combe and trey are there, at five you THINK the jaz Should go.
Speaker 5: Trey now without, a doubt well without without. A doubt, i MEAN like, I said trey lit sec, and SCORING and i know scoring, isn't EVERYTHING but I think trey is the better passor the. Better shooter he measured out a little bit bigger and edgem. Is good people are enamored by the athleticism and what he did For the bahamas national team. Last SUMMER but, I mean trey had a better YEAR and i think he's more ready to come in. And contribute is there.
Speaker 1: Any intrigue in your mind at one?
Speaker 2: Or two or is IT simply, i, Mean look dallas came out, and, said look we're. Keeping one their ownership, Group, said nico you can't. Trade, it okay we're keeping it and We're. Taking cooper, So Ultimately, patrick dumont, the owner made, the call so We know cooper's. At one any chance It's not dylan? It too or do you feel like it's a lock both one?
Speaker 1: And, TWO.
Speaker 5: Yeah I mean I think cooper is as much of a lock as you. Can get. Number two i'm not a. BETTING man i, don't GAMBLE but I say i'm about ninety percent Sure san antonio Would Take. Dylan, harper now whether Or not harper plays a game for, this burst that's a, different subject because the fit is. An ideal when you figure that they just Traded For diaron fox at, the deadline And Then, stefan castle who really struggles, to shoot is at his best when he has on. Ball reps then he really took off in the second half of the year when he had the opportunity to play with the ball in. His hands And so dylan is at best when he has the ball in. HIS hands i don't necessarily like, to fit but If san antonio went with best, player available you Go, with harper then try to figure. Things OUT but i think it would be enticing for a Team like milwaukee to possibly have their point guard of. The future and only if ganis it says that he wants to, be MOVED and i Think san antonio has some pieces to put together a.
Speaker 2: Nice package do you think there's any Chance the jazz could move up in this draft and maybe Enty san antonio with five marketing something, Like that, you know because, ultimately raphaels, you know this is a fan base that really is looking for, some hope looking for a shot in. The arm it's an organization that needs some hope and a shot in the arm for the staff. Over there and it's just been a very successful basketball team for the better part of fifty years that has been in no. Man's land we're coming up on four, Years now so, you know all these reports and rumors out there That the jazz are going to try to be bold and they're going to do what they can to.
Speaker 1: Utilize, their assets their, draft capital.
Speaker 2: Their, clean books and would be willing to move on for most anybody if it meant moving up to two and maybe Grabbing A.
Speaker 1: Dylan harper Could the jazz be in play to move up to?
Speaker 5: TWO possibly, I mean i think maybe three would be a little bit more Realistic since philadelphia their timeline has to be. WIN now, i mean if you think, about It with embid and his health Concerns And paul george on the wrong side of, THIRTY five i don't know how you can make a deal work just, you know, numbers WISE but i would say three is probably the highest they. CAN go i don't know If san antonio would what would make a move up for, number two especially if they can if they think that there's a chance that They Compare victor Wimbiyama And yais. Okitakuboy together let me ask You.
Speaker 2: About ace let me dig In On ace bailey a little, bit more because there are some people, out there, and look there's so many and we we like what. You DO and i was always a big chat. Forward guys so we like having you on the SHOW and i read. Your stuff but there are a lot of mocks, out there a lot of people out there that try to do what you do and, others do and a lot of them have a falling a little bit as a result of the combine measurements.
Speaker 1: And such so.
Speaker 2: Let's play a game a little bit and let's say he falls to five And the jazz, are just, you know deciding that that's the direction they're they're wanting.
Speaker 1: TO go i don't know if he'll.
Speaker 2: BE there i don't know if they, like him but if It Is ace bailey, At, five raphael tell jazz fans what you think he can be as a professional when he's, fully developed.
Speaker 5: If he maximizes. HIS potential, i mean you're talking about a guy that is just able to score and score with the best, of them still has a ways. TO go i don't know why his stock would be dropping because he didn't measure out at. Six ten i've had people tell, me like if you went to games and if you, saw him then you knew he, Wasn't sixten so why would this cock drop down because he didn't measure out out at SIXTEN but i mean, in shoes he's probably what six' nine and a, half in shoes and you play the, game AND shoes so i can't imagine his stock falling week. Because of that but if he puts, IT all together i mean he's. HAD some games i think he had a game where he was like thirteen or fifteen. From the floor he had another game he was like. THIRTEEN of, twenty i mean when, he is going he's just a guy that can just make some of the most difficult. Shots look easy when, HE was guarded i mean he made like forty four percent. Of his threes. IT'S just stylistically i think some people are just not a fan of his heavy reliance on, mid range shooting and then you know the mid range is not considered the most efficient shot as far. As his analytics but if he, puts it together you have a guy, that can rebound that should be a weak, site shot blocker that can, space the floor and that could be a guy that when you need a bucket at the end of, the shot clock he can.
Speaker 2: GET you, one I know the cooper flag is Gonna Be. A dallas maverick, and of course off the, board OF one and i think at the start of the college basketball season maybe there was a bit, of a debate, but he, clearly you know decided that debate. On his own let me. Just ask, you you know you hear a Lot of. The kauhi stuff there are a lot, of you know a lot of. COMPS going AROUND i sometimes i. DON'T love comps i think it puts a bad idea in a fan's mind and sets a prospect.
Speaker 1: Up for failure but just are you among the PEOPLE or ol fa all that believe that?
Speaker 2: He's generationally special, and you know Do you think dallas really has this superstar type talent that Could Be an all star for ten to fifteen YEARS?
Speaker 8: In?
Speaker 1: THE nba yeah.
Speaker 5: I Think, so i mean the word generational talent is just. Up For debate like i've had this conversation, a few Times Like is carrie irving? A Generational Talent is anthony davis? A generational talent just throwing names out there that. PEOPLE have, ARGUED i mean i have even Had People say dwayne wade isn't. A GENERATIONAL talent so I don't think cooper has to be quote unquote generational to have Like a special hall of. Fame type career BUT one thing i will Say about the cooper FLAG comps that i actually like is that this is probably the First guy that i've seen where it's like. Cross racial Comparisons usually a european is only Compared to a european player, and so ON and so, i think like when it, comes to comparisons you have to have a wide range of comparisons if you're gonna. Go THAT way and i know that there are some teams that they make players or they make their scouts Not only Compare, europeans to europeans or white players to white players. Or so On so with cooper being compared To, Everyone from Kawhi i've seen, ak forty seven who you guys are obviously Familiar, With in utah i've seen some people Compare. HIM to tatum i just think nobody knows what he is because he has so many ways that he can. Impact the game he can be a mix of a little bit of everything because he's such, a good defender he's. A good passer he shocked the ball a lot better. THAN anyone expected i don't think anyone thought he was gonna shoot thirty and a half percent FROM three but i do think he's going. TO be good i think if he puts, it ALL together which i think he, has a, HIGH high floor i see him as A Multi. TIME all star i just don't know if he's LIKE. YOUR one a i don't know if he's your YOUR your one a on. The championship team but if HE'S, your one. B that's, good I Mean there's anthony DAVIS. THE one a i. Don't think so BUT, as One b the lakers, Won A championship So i think cooper could have, a you Know Multi, time all Star MULTI Time all. Nba ALL defense so i just don't know if. He's YOUR closer but i.
Speaker 1: Could be wrong let.
Speaker 2: Me ask you i've seen a couple of mock Drafts That have jeremiah fears Going to the, Jazz at five and you brought. This up earlier it's, a GOOD point and i honestly can't.
Speaker 1: Speak.
Speaker 2: TO it uh i know that there are some in the organization That Don't think keyante george is going to be a rotational piece for a good player, for excuse me for a good team. In pro basketball they like the call, Of your kid but if you're lead guard to shoot shooting twenty five percent from THREE in the nba in. Twenty twenty five you're probably not gonna win a. Lot of games so maybe on paper you look, at and say, wait a second they've got. Some young guards i'm not sure they like any of their young guards. An awful lot so If It is jeremiah, fears at five which some people are, kind of prognosticated what kind of?
Speaker 1: Prospect is he raphael.
Speaker 5: Hes a guy really. LIKE a lot i think MY brother and i were probably the first to put him in the top ten Range, back in december and it sounded, crazy back then but he has the ability to consistently get two feet, in the paint which Is Something that isaiah khleier was able to do with just his speed. And HIS aggressiveness but i Think, that with fears you have to look at how. YOUNG he, was i mean he's supposed to be at least either Preparing for the prom or just finish Going, to the prom and instead he's PREPARING for. The nba draft he was the go to guy AND a, tough SEC conference like, i mentioned earlier not afraid, of the, moment hit game. Win a shot but they intrigued with him as his ability to consistently get two feet. In the paint he can create. His own, shot he's, tough he's competitive and he's to has a long ways to go as far as like reaching, his FULL potential and i, think for him THE sky's actually i think the sky's the. LIMIT for him i think he could be one of the two or three best players in this draft that we're talking about five. Years From now.
Speaker 2: Cooper flags teammate Duke, kan K nipple the malawatch. Kid is Intriguing but The Jazz, WITH walker kestler i can't imagine they'd Want to add Malawatch next to walker unless they're going to Move, on FROM walker which i don't. Think they'll do he's Extension eligible and i'm hearing they, will EXTEND him which i think is. The right thing but tell Us about kN kinneple, a little bit another name that has kind of been Linked to the jazz Potentially at five and do you think five is too High?
Speaker 1: To, take knipple yeah five.
Speaker 5: IS too HIGH i mean i think, at number five especially if you're A, team like utah you're looking for someone that you think can be. A, franchise guy now is it easy to get a franchise. Guy, at FIVE no but i think you're in a situation where you're not just looking for, another CONNECTIVE piece and I, THINK for tom i think that's going to be his ROLE in the nba is as, a connective passer floor spacer. Guy that competes and the role that He played at duke where he, wasn't the man is going to be the role that he PLAYS in the nba. In MY opinion so i don't THINK five is I don't think i think five is too. High for him up Like That.
Speaker 2: JEG or demon, byu point guard there's like this undercurrent of Fear that the jazz are going to draft him at five BECAUSE he's a byu Guy and the jazz owner ALSO helps. Bankroll byu basketball, as you know it was interesting to watch him. Evolve this year oftentimes he had a lot of trouble against Pressure in, the Big Twelve and kevin Young Would play dallan hall against teams that Would press because jegor just couldn't. Really handle it he's young and this was his first experience playing really. Physical college basketball the measure there he can. REALLY pass. It i understand the combine stuff was a good. Look for him do you think there's any chance that he's in play at five and where do you think ultimately he?
Speaker 5: Lands, AND why YEAH i mean I think there's i think. THERE'S a, chance I mean the utah has had a small backcourt for the. LAST few years i do think. THERE'S a, chance i mean everything that you mentioned before could. Be A factor and i guess it just Depends on how utah sees him or sees his potential. As a shooter I've been following yegor since he was. FIFTEEN years old I went to madrid to. Watch him play i've talked to him in person. A few times i really like him, as A kid and i could understand why a team can just. Fall for him but the concerns, are there about, like you said how. He HANDLES pressure and i literally just spoke to a scout from a team a couple hours ago, and, He said yes yegor probably helped himself with how well he measured and the fact that he shot the. Ball really well but he said that the thing that everybody wants to see is how. Tough he is can he compete when there's smaller guards that are just defending Him Like, a jose alvarado or can he bring the, ball up court up the Court Against the drew. Holliday type defender and, the scout said that's something that you won't see in the pre draft process because he's probably not going to. Go against anybody he didn't Play. At the combine so whoever drafts him is going to have to believe that the areas that he struggled, with this year whether whether it's the shooting or, sometimes being assertive that they can get the best. Out OF him but i do think it's realistic that he could be In play, for utah five or maybe they trade down. To get him.
Speaker 2: I'm, not sure guys also out, of Twenty one and i'm not going to pin you to a name. At twenty one i'll, just ask, you generally speaking do you believe this draft is deep enough that some options at twenty one one could? Be intriguing enough, and you, Know it's interesting raphael is the Better picks the jazz have made ever since the ownership change in the front office change have, been later, On You, Know Kyle. Philipowski isaiah collier we'll see What. Happens with, taylor he's hurt but obviously it was a Rough look for. Cody last year no one's anointing or dismissing based off.
Speaker 1: Of one YEAR.
Speaker 2: In the nba but this is a front office that shown the ability to find some things. In the, twenties generally speaking what sort of talent would be there.
Speaker 1: At, twenty one.
Speaker 5: Yeah there's A player that i Really, like for utah and That is the greek prospect Named. Meopliss ab dallas i've been higher on him. THAN the consensus i think that if he would have went to, college this year we'd be talking about him as, a lottery Pick Similar to Jegor Demon and kaspar shakachonas and some of the. Other international players he just didn't. Have the opportunity he didn't. Go to College And, Then Vin sarasi noah singhe Are, playing in germany but they're playing on a team that gives young, players the Opportunity and most european teams really don't give young. Players an opportunity they, everything is, win win now and they think that it's better to. Win with veterans so with, that Being said our dallas, is six' eight. HE'S a good passer i think he's one of the better athletes in this draft as far, as the guard position plus. He has positional side he played. Well at the combine he not, going to open shots but he didn't really have the opportunity to play much with. All in his hands, SO at twenty one, i think for him if he, is a point guard then you got a six. To eight point guard, but if he's not because of his size and, his ability to shoot it gives you some flexibility into how. You can use them and with, all that being said if he does end up, going to college route which we may find out in the, NEXT couple of days i think he ends up being a lottery picked. Him at twenty one, you get a steal Another steal for the jazz later one in the. Outside of, The, lottery.
Speaker 1: All, right Raphael last thing and.
Speaker 2: I'll set you loose you, referenced his Name earlier and everything i've seen every Time i've, Watched aj debonca, play i'm just, Like Oh my gosh like I'M not sure that byu fans know what. They have down there i'm not sure that in state college. Basketball fans are ready he might be the best player that, we've ever had here Certainly as a talent it's hard to argue. With any of that we've never had, a, top you know five or even one recruit Play at Either the UNIVERSITY, of utah or Byu And we, Had dame lillard here so let's Put a Respect On dame And Andre miller and jimmer furdett and everyone that's played. HERE in the state, i could keep going but for basketball fans that are, curious but not familiar just what KIND of player IS?
Speaker 1: Byu, Getting, in aj Debonca.
Speaker 2: Well, you, Have, ben, horan Right yes Yes certainly keith van horne should. Be ON that, LIST like i said, i Could keep going but I'm not sure that KEITH had, The TALENT a Did and i think keith himself.
Speaker 1: Would, probably, Admit.
Speaker 5: That yeah well, keith went pretty.
Speaker 6: High was.
Speaker 1: NUMBER two number. Two aj.
Speaker 5: Is specials he's special he's got, the, ideal positional size. Athleticism the shot making he was really, good HIS senior year but i felt like he. WAS a, little bored i mean he had been dominating high school since, he WAS a freshman and i think that having a new, CHALLENGE of college basketball i think that's going to bring something else out of him that. We haven't, CONSISTENTLY seen but yeah i mean it's going to be exciting For the FANS in. UTAH and byu fans i think that, he has a really really good shot at being. The number one pick but there's two other guys in this class that are that are special Next Year's class And Dan peterson And cameron boozer and jazz fans are Familiar With the Name carlos Boozer and, cameron is Carlos's son but aj is is right up there as far, as the my opinion the best prospects to come out of high school in. The LAST ten years and i think that it's going to be a Year Similar to when zion williamson, was in college basketball even with twenty Two When you have Ben carroll And Chet, holmern and jabari smith where teams felt like if they get one of those guys that they're going to be a playoff team within the. Year TWO or three And i think if utah DOES get aj then i think that's the franchise guy that, you were hoping for and it could also be a great consolations tight not the best, way TO use it but i do think that aj Could be. Better than cooper flat so it could be a BLESSING in disguise as aj ends up being the number one pick in Twenty twenty six and utah's number one and They missed out on cooper flag. IN twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: A lot of jazz fans, Curious. About these prospects rafael where.
Speaker 1: Can they go? Get all your work you CAN find me at nba.
Speaker 5: Big board dot com. It is my newsletter try to put out an article two or, three times A week but then, I Have My podcast nba Big boards on, the LOCKED one network and, i HAVE a podcast but i do at the least, five times a. Week Sometimes even more so i'm. Pretty easy, to, fire all.
Speaker 1: Right man, thanks for. The time good stuff we'll, Get, you back, soon.
Speaker 5: Okay no problem, Anytime Let.
Speaker 2: Me KNOW Rafael barlow the nba draft is a. Matter of weeks away. June the twenty fifth we will have YOU covered here. ON espn seven hundred i will be Anchoring Our coverage Alongside Gordy.
Speaker 1: Chisa and richard smith and there's a chance we're going to.
Speaker 2: Be out and about so if you're a jazz fan, looking to hang, out grab, some dinner some drinks what have you.
Speaker 1: And watch the draft do it WITH us here.
Speaker 2: On espn seven hundred raphael stops by today courtesy OF Our Friends. At ifa country stores, when the seasons change if you're, like any good coach you'll put together your game, plan for a healthy green lawn and you'll turn TO. The experts at ifa check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to.
Speaker 1: Make your yardy hit it's the ultimate.
Speaker 2: Lawn OWNER power move At, ifaa dot.
Speaker 1: Co op we got smitty.
Speaker 2: LIVE in studio today i thought we'd Do that on a tuesday to Get You ready. For nick pacers TONIGHT look back on Okcs. Went over in Minnesota we'll do some Jazz. Offseason basketball with smitty spent Forty Years in the. Utah jazz front office now good enough to. Give us some time jp Chunga voice of The, royals and the Stars Host of, the roundball roundup podcast will join Us later on BUT tuesday afternoon more nba basketball with, One Of OUR Favorites lee ellis Espn Australia. Head Of, global pickup, BUT lee quite frankly i don't mean to make you. FEEL awkward or uncomfortable a little. BIT of a pioneer I don't know that i've ever really talked. To you about this you were among the FIRST podcasters. Covering the nba basketball is, that a, fair.
Speaker 6: STATEMENT well SOMEWHAT yes i MEAN i wouldn't say. I was the pioneer i think that Really Title goes TO skeets pass and jd because they created A podcast before even i knew. What A podcast, was but i said they did come in and write their coattails, for a while there and we BEGAN THE show on nba tv. Back in twenty, THIRTEEN so you KNOW i wouldn't say i was the number one draft. Pick in THAT sense i'd say i was. A FREE agent signing but i certainly LIKE to feel that i made a. Contribution to the, show and you know now it's. Amazing how, many people, in FACT just today Here, i am in indianapolis a guy came out to me on the, street, AND he said man i remember You From the Basketball. Jones day's in toronto so that was quite a kind of freaky to sort of still hear that just, out on the, street because you know that was. AT a, different time, I think you know i don't think when the guys originally Started it Not even twitter or facebook or anything, like that even existed and they were doing a podcast and they've grown it into. Something that, CONTINUES today in fact i believe it's going to Be twenty years In, January from WHEN skeets tatts and jd did their very very First podcast back in JD's the. BASEMENT of his house i think it was back in two Thousand. And six in, toronto it's quite remarkable how. You know our journeys everybody's. Journey is, slightly different but yes THE seeds of where i am Today were planted in toronto about fifteen. Or sixteen. Years ago for myself.
Speaker 2: What was the name of the pod YOU GUYS? Had on Nba Tv?
Speaker 1: Was it no Dunk's?
Speaker 2: WAS it the starters i honestly can't remember what THE NAME of the. Nba, Tv, pod.
Speaker 6: Was yeah Yeah we WERE THE starters on mba tv AND that was a tv. Show and, the podcast but yeah did that for six seasons and it was honestly one of those sort of pinched me. Moments literally, EVERY day in fact i remember, saying, TO my wife like I CAN'T believe on nba. Tv wearing plaid shirts i'm talking to. My friends. About basketball you Know so one day shaq came in, while we were recording got, me In a, HEADLOCKED and i'm like i don't know how to. Explain this to. Anybody is you know people, would, ask me like hey DO YOU, get on nba tv like, That's A cool, JOB and i'm like i can't REALLY tell you. Because i don't know there wasn't LIKE a. Blueprint that i followed it was just a few things happened AND the, NEXT thing i know i had the biggest man in the world getting you IN. A headlock on. Tv so, it's, crazy IT'S funny.
Speaker 2: MAN because, i, Can I mean look i'm i'm a basketball. Sicko like YOU are AND SO i WATCH nba tv and i can remember watching back IN the day and i was watching just some recap or highlight, show, and they're like hey don't forget, tomorrow at whatever time tune into the. Starters a, basketball podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm, like wait a. SECOND what is this i don't even know what. Any of this, is and you know now.
Speaker 2: Everybody has a podcast, we podcast this show and if you're in the ecosystem of, media and sport period chances are if you don't, have a standalone pod you pod your live show, like we do here and would you would you would you characterize it as something that was kind of like beyond anything you dared to dream about as far as how. YOU got into it i always find it interesting to hear the origin story of how people were able to carve out their piece of real estate in this ecosystem that's really hard to.
Speaker 6: Find, REAL estate, in yeah i mean that's a great way putting, it, because you know again no one really knew what it was or what it. Was GOING to become and i remember again in the early days speaking to those guys because, they, had normal JOBS skeets Tasks and jd who, I'm referring to here so they would record their pot at like six o'clock In, the morning, over skype you know put, the podcast out there then go. About their daily jobs and so there was. No money in it they weren't like sitting. Back rolling in money they had to put all their own money. And TIME into it and jd had just become a father and they were just trying this thing that no one. Really knew what happened but Because At, THE time apple iTunes i think it was still, called then you know people from around the world started listening to it because basketball is, such a global sport and that encouraged the guys and it inspired, them to keep going and eventually They Made, it to the score which IS an independent Sports, tv network in TORONTO AND from their nba tv got hold of it and moved Us. All down to, atlanta and, you know so again the story itself is Sort of even when i'm, saying This to you and i've said this on numerous, Podcasts over the years, i'm, sort of like man it's amazing how many things just had to sort of line up and. Be ready to, go and you know getting visas even to Come and work in america is. Not easy as well we have to somehow convince the immigration, lawyers that, we were you know worthy of getting work visas. And things LIKE that and, then i, remember again you know when we're Doing, a podcast in toronto there, was no time, limit so you know you can go for an hour or an hour and. A half or whatever but then WE CAME to the nba tv and we had a forty four minute show daily that we HAD to hit and i, remember just thinking, like oh my god this is like crazy you can't BE. As loose on tv you certainly have to, dress a little nice so you have to be a, little more you know professional in. How you approach it you can't certainly can't swear and things like that that you. Can on a podcast so it. Was A real adjustment but i think we all got motivated and inspired by so many people who saw us, as non former players just fans of the game trying to bring an. Entertaining angle to it like we we never claimed to be former pro players. Or anything like that we were just, guys who you know started something new THAT grew. Into a tv, SHOW and you know i love for the game is what so many PEOPLE around the world i think could relate. To AND connect with and i, think.
Speaker 2: IT'S really cool man i always applaud people that have the courage to, just try stuff like, let's we love this so.
Speaker 1: Let's go try it let's see.
Speaker 2: What it turns into let's, Give it some effort let's give, it some you know some real energy and resources and stories like.
Speaker 1: That are, Really cool all right let's Before We get.
Speaker 2: TO nick pacers tonight, I, SAID this earlier lee i want to. SEE if You agree i think minnesota last night beats almost EVERY team in the nba except the team. They played right like and there's a lot Of conversation today About Aunt this, and julius randall that and certainly there's some things that we can get into. THAT are probably fair i thought last night was Far More about who oklahoma city is As opposed to. WHO minnesota is not i was quick to be a little bit skeptical about okas ability to, run through the playoffs only because we. Haven't seen it before, but in a vacuum last night was an, incredibly ENTERTAINING basketball game and I, think if you're minnesota you're just kind of like they might be better than. Us and everybody else give me. Your, thoughts, on.
Speaker 6: THAT yeah well and i think you know what You've seen with the thunder is they were the number one seed, with a you know by A Mile, in the Western conference whereas the wolves. Were the sixth seeds, so any other season if you had the one, versus the sixth seed the number one seed. Should, Win fairly comfortably now game three was that season on the line Type, of response from minnesota and You Could almost see oklahoma city kind of let. Go of the rope there a little bit once he got out of hand, in the second half but then they regathered and regrouped and sort. Of showed last night they flexed their muscles, a little, bit, more saying like hey we are. Better than this team they have got A few vulnerabilities and i think they. Exposed THEM last night and i hope you give a Lot Of Credit, to shay gilders, alexander because you know he's almost gone to that point where he was, a big fan favorite and now people are starting, to turn on him criticizing him for the free throw, embellishment whatever you know. Whatever that really means but he's gone out there and led his team. And HE handled everything and i put a lot of it Actually Back into that denver, nugget series as well where they Looked bad against, the nuggets at times but as really good teams do they, get THE job done and. I think that's important i think that does sort of build you up and get you ready. For the Next, ROUND whereas, the timblewolves i mean when you have, A win like that i think it was Forty two, points in game three it's almost it's. Almost like too much they, didn't have to fight they didn't really. Have to do everything they just sort of everything they. Threw up went in but it wasn't like they had something really solid to fall back on because last night they kind of got. Exposed A Little, BIT and anthony edwards i heard what he, said after the game because he's been criticized and. Not taking though shots he said he. Made the right. PLACE maybe he did i think there, is an argument there but you also expect your start, to, sort of say well It's A Bit like karl Anthony towns Here in indiana on Monday night, where or, sunday night excuse me, where, He was like right i'm putting my team on my back and we are. Not LOSING this game and i didn't Really See, that from anthony edwards like he. Didn't go down fighting, he played well enough but it wasn't the sort of epic, performance, where you thought man he left it all on the. TABLE there last night i think he had a little bit. More in the. Chamber and we'll see now they obviously go to a Must Win, game in oklahoma, city but you know, and there's, People Saying, oh man oklahoma, city LIKE you know the. Nba, Doesn't want that. WELL i'm the opposite i think this is. GREAT for the league i think there's, a bit more parody there's, a bit more evenness and every, team is a chance. And we're, seeing that you know We're likely To get Oklahoma the city and. Indiana in the finals. I'M fine with it i think these both. FUN teams to watch i love watching, the YOUNG stars emerge and i think we've set, up for a. Really really fun finals, however it turns out because the other one Is maybe We Get, minnesota versus new york who of course had that incredible trade right before training, camp started last season so that would be a fun way to cut. The season as, WELL but you know i think, no matter what happens people are going to criticize the league and criticize the game, and things like that because that's the nature of. Social media these days but as a fan, And as an analyst. I'm really enjoying it so.
Speaker 2: Let's dig into the ants, stuff for a, Minute because, you know game three he comes out of the, gates completely, on fire and certainly if you want to Say more engaged in game three, OUT of THE gates i guess i.
Speaker 1: Can concede THAT point but what i Saw Last.
Speaker 2: Night From oklahoma city as mark dagnoldlets to Move off, of the Hartenstein stuff he puts, chad into the, five he goes small and, then, on every dribble handoff on, every pick and roll on, every off ball action you have First of all lout dort who plays defense like, He's A middle linebacker jalen WILLIAMS who's like, All nba defense caliber, shay who's six's Eight And then Either Alex caruso or casan wallace that are both just absolute. Dogs on The perimeter they blitzed ant on every single pick and roll one hundred. Percent of his drives he was double teamed every time he put the.
Speaker 1: Ball in the deck they ran.
Speaker 2: Two, DEFENDERS at him lee i don't know what you do if your aunt because.
Speaker 1: They're just like you go. Back and watch it there's no room for him to.
Speaker 2: Get his shots off and he did, MAKE the right play i thought, more often than not and his teammates, did knock down shots so you know. You hear The inside guys like kenny always talks about if you're one, OF the great players i need you to take, eighteen TO twenty shots then i know kind. Of where you're at and if those shots are forced in the face of, two and three defenders they're. Not high quality Looks so what was aunt kind of supposed TO do when the okc game plan was clearly we are going to throw two of these dog defenders at him every time, he gets the ball and we are going to make.
Speaker 1: Other players beat us, and they almost did.
Speaker 2: Because they scored forty one points in the fourth quarter against one of the best defensive teams that we've seen. In a long time i'm Just not sure what anne was supposed to do last night in the face of that game plan that was designed to take him.
Speaker 1: Entirely, OUT of, it yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean it's again, it's a good question and it's a fair way to sort of analyze, it because you know we, always, sort of say like we want the guy to step up and, make the big play and that doesn't necessarily mean, MAKE the. Big, shot i, guess so YOU know, from what i saw he had a couple of those drives where he. Went, inside fairly quickly now if you know, the double is coming then maybe that's on the Coaching Staff, there of chris finch but it's also Maybe On on on anthony edward was to get into that action a little quicker to try, to beat that, double or you know see if he can get a switch to get a defender that you. PREFER to, have there i mean It's always we're all monday morning quarterbacks after the game and, we can you know analyze and criticize. And things like that but he had a couple of moves because he is so athletic and he is so fast that he can, cruise inside, to me you. Know seemingly at will but last night he did it, a couple of times but then. He sort of hesitated and again maybe the leadership, FROM him is like i don't want to have to. DO it all myself i want to show trust and. Faith in my, teammates, and you know again there's, no real right answer because if he has one of those games where he goes for forty five points or fifty points, or something like that then maybe people will criticize, them, anyway and say hey you got to. Trust your teammates more but. IT'S a, TOUGH one I Mean i remember jason tatum's unfortunately his last game Of The Season in new york city against the next he had forty two points and he, was carrying, his team you know putting them into a spot where they were going. To win the game, Now they ULTIMATELY didn't but what i saw from him was a, LEADER who was like i know these other, guys can, Do it but tonight i'm going to step. Up and do it and he was on the way to doing that. Before unfortunately got injured so, there's, always you know again it's always, EASY to, look back i think and sort of pinpoint things and say you, should have done this he. Should have, DONE that Either Way i think anthony edwards will learn from last night's game and we'll see how It plays out in game five and not just, for THIS season on because i truly think he has got that elite level competitiveness in him and ultimately he'll become better.
Speaker 1: For it Before.
Speaker 2: WE move out East A, thought, on julius, randall who in fairness has had the best spring that he's EVER had.
Speaker 1: As an Nba player, AS a nick fan i.
Speaker 2: CAN speak to it i always was skeptical of THE way the previous nick team Was built. Only because jalen's awesome but if your number Two Offensive, option is julius randall you're going to run into games like we've run into over the past two where he is watching, from the fourth quarter like he's watching from the bench, in THE fourth quarter and i just for, All the ant Stuff i'm looking at, julius one, of seven. Five points five turnovers And The, problem with julius randall this has. Always been the deal, if he's not scoring if he's not involved, offensively and making shots he's just. Not as engaged defensively and we. Saw it last night so what's your take on What We've seen from julius randall over the.
Speaker 1: Past, couple, OF games.
Speaker 6: Yeah well i mean those First two games in oka see and he was really, aggressive from the start almost, Like, He was like okay i'm going to show the years, of my experience here because he was hitting threes and he was aggressive and. On for his shot but certainly that has Been the criticism of julius, rounds throughout his career where some nights he LOOKED like an, all nba caliber player and other, nights like last night he does seem to be sleepwalking. A LITTLE bit more and i think that consistency is tough for a lot of players because you have those good games and then all of a sudden things? Aren't going your way what do you? Have as a backup when Do YOU? Go To plan b and julius doesn't really, Seem to have, that whereas you know you would like to see, him go inside again maybe try, to draw some fout get, some high percentage. Looks whatever it is if a, three is not falling if the mid, range is not falling have something else. There in your bag and. At times he does but again it's a little bit frustrating because there are times where it just seems like he's just not. Focused on, the game and again last night was a must Win. REALLY for, the wolves i mean obviously they're, still statistically in it but for, all intents and purposes are going to lose. In five games here and it was just just A frustrating, way because i thought even though it, WAS close last night i Always felt that the, thunder WERE in control and i think you know that that was sort of. Reflected in the. Score In the end the, wolves gave it everything but ultimately they just didn't have that same or that same, aggression that they Had you, know in game three which got, them that huge, win And you know the thunder were able to sort of overcome that like a, pretty embarrassing loss there and they were able to bounce, back a lot quicker whereas it was Almost like maybe the wolves thought all. Their work, was done who, knows but you know we'll see, the playoffs this, year and you know every series seems to be. A little bit crazy so, there is, a chance, you know if you if you sort, of think About it that the wolves could still extend this series and get. Themselves BACK into it but i think they probably blew.
Speaker 2: Their chance, last night all right before We get to Tonight, sunday's game, IN indiana you know i was ready to turn it off in the second quarter, and, ready to say okay.
Speaker 1: This Is a sweep the. Knicks go, down twenty you know one of the more under Talked.
Speaker 2: About, dynamics of sunday, lee in my Opinion Is the way new york closed the second quarter to get. It, down to thirteen now that doesn't, sound like a lot but when they Went down twenty and, halliburton gets the, Steal there's a dunk.
Speaker 1: It just felt like there.
Speaker 2: Was no way Back even though the knicks have come back, down from you know come back from down twenty points a Couple. Times against the celtics the pacers just felt like. They Were Built differently when nie, smith hurt his ankle that changed the. Scope Of, THE game, on friday i said a, couple Of Different times can tom thibodeau find ten To Fifteen, minutes For Landry, shammitt for delon Wright even precious to chew, Who did not play and he was able to find some minutes for some, of His bench players and jalen, was in foul trouble so of course he was limited as far, as HIS minutes go which i think is good because the starters didn't look like they were dying Down the stretch in game three because he was able To get, Some rep you know kat has that stretch to the.
Speaker 1: Start of the fourth it reminds you like how special he.
Speaker 2: Is when he's engaged but your Main Takeaways with how new york came back from that deficit and Got, it, done on sunday well it WAS.
Speaker 6: Quite interesting because tj McConnell had a press availability yesterday and, he was asked like did you guys maybe take you from the gas a little bit when they were up twenty with about seven minutes to go, in the second quarter and, he, said you know. Yeah subconsciously you do you sort of feel like you've got the game in. Hand a little Bit and then the knicks made a little push to get it close with at a half time and then it was still about double digits going into the fourth and It Felt Like then karl anthony toown's had four, points and, four, rebounds was like man the headlines are not going to be. Kind to, him tomorrow you know it's like this guy. Has not stepped up and instead he went out there and delivered one, of the best performances not just for the fourth quarter in about a seven minute stretch there where he had twenty, points and eight rebounds, hit the big three and most, importantly and most impressively he. Attacked the Rim Too, he went miles turner he had a. Huge and one dunk he had another layup where he Just went straight at turner and said you're either going To block me or i'm, getting a basket here and both times he made it turned it into. A three point play and so we know That That Is what karl anthony. Towns is capable of and it took basically the next season to be on the line there for him, to bring it Out and so now i'm really excited. To see the game i'm going to be heading to the arena in about half an hour OR so here because i really Want To see if karl anthony town starts, the game like that and if he comes, out, AND he says hey i am the best player out there and these guys can't defend, me ONE on one and i want to see him put his team in a position where they don't have to come back, from twenty points down they don't have to sort of be in that position, where it's like okay all, or nothing right now instead have some sort, of A comfortable game because i Think that's What The knicks and karl. Anthonytowns are capable of we just. Don't see it consistently but that. WAS another, remarkable Game i mean jalb brunson. Was in foul trouble he had four. In the first half pounds is. Often In foul trouble, landry shammock came out gave them a, decent little stretch there hit a couple of baskets and the, lot Right. ANOTHER guy another vet i think he can handle the possessions, better than campaign anyway, for a Few Minutes, and so tom thibodeau he obviously mixed up the. Starting lineup as Well He. Went with mitchell. Robinson he changed things now didn't necessarily work straight away because they were down to, twenty as we discussed but. They got the Win and so now i'm really Fascinated To see does tom tipoteau now go a little deeper into that bench and not, necessarily with more players but Give those guys like shaman and write a little bit more trust and a little bit more time to save, the legs, of Guys you know Like bridges and like brunton who, have just, played HEAVY heavy minutes because i think that's the Only real way the knicks are going to survive. And extend this series they've got to get, a few more guys a few more minutes and hold up their. End of The, bargain because the pacers Who May be without nie smith tonight, hasn't been announced yet they can write a lot like that because they already play, nine OR ten Guys And i know rick carlyle Has Some guys like ben sheppard who can come out there and play. Some really Good minutes so THE knicks saw Something i think in game three and now we're going to be really Interested to see if. Tibeau Sticks with, that in game four there.
Speaker 2: Were plus twelve in The seventeen minutes without jalen in minus six and the thirty one. Minutes, which he, played that's of course not An Indictment on who jalen brunson, is as a player but it does make you curious about some of the defensive potential with some. Of the Other, lineups for at, carlisle with, his gamesmanship of course has made a.
Speaker 1: Couple of comments that.
Speaker 2: Have been SOMEWHAT interesting but before, I say you lose indiana's a two point. Five Point Favorite tonight if, nie smith can't Go My, guess it's ben shephard who's been solid as a perimitterive defensive player and a guy that can knock.
Speaker 1: Down threes AS well so before, i set you Loose? Do you have Aleen?
Speaker 2: Do you have aleen as far as how you think we're going to, see it go tonight that's.
Speaker 6: A pretty good Line i favor THE pacers because again i think they were somewhat Embarrassed how they lost game three and they know they, stole home court, advantage which is great but the worst thing is if you have home court advantage and. You GIVE it back so i Think they know that game five is going to be tough No Matter What, in new york city that we. KNOW we're going There i think the pacers want to make sure they take care of business tonight because they don't want to get into A situation where the knicks potentially turn this around and, get up three Too because, we know game seven if, it goes that far Would Be Back. In New york city the pace has, won there, last year of course, but again every season, Every SERIES is different So i think the, paces ARE okay tonight but i think it is going to be. A pretty tight one i think it's going to be. A low scoring affair i think both teams are going to try to keep it a little bit slower than normally and. Just Keep it tight So i'll. TAKE the paces well i think, they probably do cover.
Speaker 1: But not by much where can People go find you worklee and follow?
Speaker 2: Along?
Speaker 1: With The journey yeah.
Speaker 6: Just lee ellis on all, The, Social, channels there twitter INSTAGRAM TikTok l E i G H E l L, I s and yeah i'll be, at The arena tonight so I'LL be sharing what i see behind the scenes and. All that, good, stuff thank you.
Speaker 1: Sir enjoy the, Game, we'll chat soon.
Speaker 2: Okay thanks having me, leellis old school podcaster LEGEND as far. As nba podcasters Go he is In indianapolis for The knicks and The Pacers tonight at. Lee ellis on socializ he reference stops by today courtesy Of Our. Friends at courtland roofing there you're reroofing and roof repair experts with over.
Speaker 1: Twenty years of.
Speaker 2: Experience here's the deal if, you look the forecast it is going to, be hot, this week unseasonably hot.
Speaker 1: Ninety degree weather late in the.
Speaker 2: Week throughout the weekend so if you, need your roof repaired if you've, been putting it off it's a great time Right Now to call cortland roofing because you're gonna save, a grip of.
Speaker 1: Money.
Speaker 2: Thousands of dollars okay so with a free, with a roof repair you.
Speaker 1: Get.
Speaker 2: Free, rain gutters okay now if you don't, need the rain gutters they're going to knock that price off the total price. To replace the roof so you either get free rain, gutters or you know essentially a good deal to replace the roof altogether savings. Of thousands of dollars get it done before the weather Gets Really warm with courtland roofine and save a grip of money right now by calling eight oh one six one five. Five five six zero that's eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five, five five six Zero or online at.
Speaker 1: Cortland roofing dot com He's.
Speaker 4: The pride of norwich connecticut and An Adopted Son. Of salt lake city after Forty Years, with the utah jazz there's no one better. To Talk Some hoops richard smitty smith Is back ON the drive. On Espn Seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Richard smitty smith Is back ON the drive, on espn seven Hundred, Live In, studio smitty, happy tuesday my, friend how?
Speaker 1: ARE you sir man i am.
Speaker 8: DOING a good spress i.
Speaker 9: HAD a good weekend i had had the opportunity to uh to, play a little golf starting A long weekend on friday with an all star foursome that included you right at the, top of The Chart and And Tim. Howells and wesley ruff That was a fun that was a. Fun day for me and then of course by the rest of my weekend went downhill because when you start right at the top of the mountain and you're hanging Out With like The Mount Rushmore of salt, lake city sports scene and then you have nowhere.
Speaker 8: To go But downhill that's what that's what it, was Like For me.
Speaker 2: The Mount Rushmore Of the salt, lake, City sports Scene Me. Tim and west, ralphie, you, get well hey hey you. Guys are right there you, guys are. Right there right there they're still. They're, still carving.
Speaker 1: It sure it's.
Speaker 9: STILL going on, now i, imagine Somehow You know soon president trump will, fit in there somewhere because apparently he wants to be in all.
Speaker 8: The all, the, stuff, but, sure.
Speaker 1: Sure yeah sure well it was. It was a pleasure thank. You for The, invite oh hey spence you.
Speaker 8: You are playing well for all of.
Speaker 9: Our listeners who here you talked about golfer going out hack or. Whatever you you are you have a very nice swing and you can really tag the ball.
Speaker 8: When you get. A, HOLD of it. Now I like that and i think It.
Speaker 9: Was sixteen at bontaville we were in the middle of the fairway and YOU had a nice i don't. Know what it was one eighty or something and to the green, and you hit it and the thing just took off and none of us. Knew where it went and we just saw it fly over, the over the trap and over the trees and over the next tea box. And then it disappeared and we looked at each other like that ball must have gone like two twenty.
Speaker 8: THIRTY yards or something i don't, know where it, went.
Speaker 1: BUT selection.
Speaker 9: SIT sir i turned, I. TURNED to you spence i don't. Think you hear IT heard, Me, when i said spence. They, moved the green. Yeah it's over.
Speaker 8: Here. It's over here yeah.
Speaker 1: And, AT part five. TOO i blew.
Speaker 2: It I blew it so i put, it over the, green had to drop was able to, get up and. Down which was nice But Great. TO see tim outse i haven't seen him. In a long time.
Speaker 9: Tim is him is. A very good golfer he's been. Playing All, his life, and tim you know. He really, gives back you know he's been involved for a lot of Years with the first tea program Here and here in utah that that helps some young kids get involved with the game of golf and and and exposing them to the to. The game Early on and and tim's been a, big proponent of that and and the heead of that for for for, a while, as well and uh it's Still acted them that and it was good to hang out with him.
Speaker 2: On a golf course and for our listeners that, May not be familiar tim was the General manager of the jazz for A.
Speaker 5: Few.
Speaker 10: Years, the bah yeah yeah he was, there for ten years ten years ninety to two thousand and during The so called hey day, and and you know And and when the jazz finished their run and had won more games THAN anybody in the nba during, That ten year run tim called, the, meeting and said BOYS that's that's.
Speaker 9: All i, can do, and uh you know. It's up to you, i'm out of here and walked. Out the Back door and Then i'm Only team i'm teasing. Tim on the air but he did a, great job for us for the for the organization all those.
Speaker 8: Years, he, Was.
Speaker 1: Involved yeah yeah So shout out sim Als And Of course Wes. Roff.
Speaker 9: Hall, Of famer wes okay wes is gonna is gonna push BACK and TELL you i was i Was honored By. THE hall of fame i was Not inducted into. The hall, of fame, he's gonna, you know it's like but but a great honor for him and and way overdue in, my in My opinion knowing what wes has done in the local sports scene forever as well as especially with the with the game of. Golf for so long but you know that that that kind of reminds me that that the semantics in the language spence is a little bit LIKE when you. AND i play golf i know that there's you taught me a great phrase to use Along With, my buddy chris lino who told me this a, couple of years ago said when he when he's walking to the, cart off the, green and he said there's a difference when THE guy tells you, i got a five or, He says to you, I'll TAKE a five and i know that's that's uh in the. SAME vein that spends i know you you walk off a lot of greens and Just yell over and.
Speaker 8: I'll take a four.
Speaker 2: I'LL take a FORE i feel like i keep, my score with Integrity But at times i'll i'll take a generous strivege and maybe.
Speaker 1: Give myself a part but who?
Speaker 9: Were supposed to do nicholas was one of the one of the obviously maybe probably. The greatest GOLFER ever and he's i heard him say time and time again over the years and interviews when people ask him for advice or about, the game, of golf he says people forget that, that first and foremost it's supposed to be a fun game that you go out and you enjoy it with friends and family or, new friends or whoever and you. Have fun with it and people who get all wrapped up in what their score is or what the technicalities are when they're, playing a, fun round you Know on, on a saturday morning or losing sight of what it's supposed, to be. All, About you know yeah and it's one of the great people to be reminded Of, that lesson about right we had A. Great time on friday we did fun to hang. Out, with you guys no thank.
Speaker 1: You for the invite last thing on this and. Then.
Speaker 2: We'll move on uh one thing really changed my approach to to the game where one of THE really good, players i play, with and he said if, you want to improve you. Go to the range if, you want to improve. You go hit balls if, you want to improve. You take a lesson if, you want to improve you grab somebody that can help. You understand your swing we're out here to. Have a good time we're not out there, like during the round because you can drive yourself crazy with every single minute adjustment you feel like you have to. Make while you're playing but then you lose sight of the fact that we're outside for four hours in the sunshine.
Speaker 9: Having, a good time, spence you know me and, you know my game and you know it's it's it's really in the gut or most Of the time when i'm standing over the ball and, ALL of a sudden i Have eight different. THINGS i'm thinking about I already. KNOW that i'm defeated I already know that i'm only gonna maybe take care of two of those eight, things on. This swing you know and and, when when that happens you know you're you know you're in trouble when you're when you're trying to.
Speaker 1: Outthink yourself, for sure all right well let's do let's do the.
Speaker 2: Jazz stuff this segment THEN We'll save the nba playoffs stuff. For, Our second segment smith he's live with. Us For an hour uh june twenty fifth is. Right, around the corner yeah so WEEKS Away, FROM the nba draft i will be anchoring our Coverage.
Speaker 1: With you and gordy. Can't wait for it. That's gonna be awesome we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have a good time what as somebody that were was in these rooms? For basically four decades what what?
Speaker 1: What's the?
Speaker 2: Process like right now is? Weeks before the draft we're here and so it's. Kind of go time what's what's happening? To?
Speaker 1: Prepare for This.
Speaker 9: Yeah so now SPENCE the. The the nba personnel, the last few weeks THEY'VE gotten THROUGH The Uh the, nba pre draft camp which is a Couple. Weeks ago, in chicago following that then there were a bunch of what, we call agent workouts most of them sent In two areas in chicago while they're at. The pre draft, camp right after that some agents would organize some individual workouts for, for their their players their, their draft eligible players and then almost all of that group get on separate flights AND fly to the la area and then, they spend last week about a four or five day Period Prior to the MEMORIAL day weekend getting uh going To Agent workouts In Thousand, oaks In Santa monica in huntington beach and in various PLACES on north of la and they're, all in different gyms and you always they're coordinating, with each, other about you know who's gonna have a workout at ten in the morning and, with their five guys and all the all the people from the teams, want to be there and so they don't want to miss the workout for a guy who's who's working, out in another gym and, so, the agent says well we'll do. Ours at one o'clock so all you guys at the Ten O'clock workout in santa monica can then jump in your car and get on the four h five And Drive up the thousand oaks and get to the gym in time for the. One o'clock workout there and then some of you got TO come back to ucla at four o'clock for the workout that one agency is going to have. With THEIR three, guys and i mean it's really. It's really a jumble and sometimes you have to divide your forces because you have a lot of guys from your organization that are, there watching the workouts maybe conducting, some interviews at hotels sometimes right. There at, the gym you know on the side of the gym while guys are walking.
Speaker 8: Out of the.
Speaker 9: Gym it really becomes a hodgepodge sometimes depending on who's available and who you want to talk to and who you want. To reach out to and then you're also working with the agents at that time about guys they represent who you may have an interest in, bringing to your market uh for a more full scale workout with your coaches in tow running the workouts and being able to do interviews and and and do a player profiles and. Those kinds of things and so they've, got all that stuff all that so called travel stuff. Is in the bank so now they are starting to invite players.
Speaker 8: Uh to their to.
Speaker 9: Their their Home market so the jazz are working on scheduling guys to. Come in for workouts they're, working with other teams so they're calling Their their Counterparts in denver And phoenix And And. Sacramento, and golden state hey you bringing In the Kid, From rutgers on thursday can you Send them here on friday so we can get a look at them and. That kind of thing so you're coordinating with the teams as well as. Coordinating with the agents so there's a. Lot of moving parts for. A lot of years our point Man On, that was walt perrin who is our vice president player personnel. For a Long time and and walt was always going crazy, this time of year mixing and matching and moving all the chess pieces around and and and it never works out the way you wanted to because a, guy always drops out or a, guy missed a flight or a guy twisted His, ankle yesterday in denver and now he can't work. Out for you today and and so she got all those, moving parts going on and then add on, on top of that you've now got also a contingency that's going To, Go over to treviso italy in the next Week to to watch european guys do the same thing That was done in CHICAGO here At the. Nba pre Draft camp so the european pre draft camp Will, be held in treviso which Is, Just, outside of venice italy and a lot of guys trying and draw the long straw so they can they can Get a trip over italy for a, week To watch them the italian players and, get some, good food you Know in the early june before they really, cranking, out the draft.
Speaker 8: Which as you mentioned is The. Last week of.
Speaker 2: June so when it, comes to individual workouts the way, teams handle these, workouts and you know it was always one of my favorite things to. SIT back and watch I Can Remember before jeff van gundy was the Head coach of the Knicks and. Was pat riley's assistant he, was the you know he was the honorary chest passer for these young kids THEY'D come, IN and i remember i think it was Ninety two when the knicks had a.
Speaker 1: Late first round pick They Used.
Speaker 2: It on hubert davis But They worked Out doug christy and ROBERT or together and i was courtside. WATCHING the whole thing i just thought it, was the, coolest thing you know watching these. Things kind of transpire what are you looking for if you put yourself in The Seat. Of the utah, jazz first of all as a team with, the top five pick you have doors opened. All over the place agents want, to talk to you players want to work out for you because you have. A TOP five pick so i would imagine that opens up avenues And doors that the jazz wouldn't have if they were.
Speaker 1: Only, At twenty.
Speaker 2: One right so you have. A top five pick people will. Answer your phone call they want. To talk to you what are you trying to accomplish throughout the process of these individual? Workouts and player interviews what are you? Trying to find Out.
Speaker 9: Most of it's spence it really has to do with getting to know the individual player and also doing any follow up in terms, of physical testing him making sure he doesn't have a bad knee or you heard that he played during the season. With a sore, back you, want to you know want to check on those things with your medical staff while. They're in town here they all go Through, medical testing in chicago so every team gets the exact same Reports out of the chicago pre draft camp. For all thirty guys they put, it in. A big big binder you would have a meeting with all, of your decision makers with all your, people within your organization usually about a week he, could before the draft and you sit down for a whole evening with your doctors and you go through every. Player page by page you start with the a's and you go all, the way through disease and you go through how Is. This, guy in, chicago yeah he's, okay he's a. Green he's an orange he's a red flag depending on how. His physical came out but when he, comes in your market if there was something, there was a question then you have a chance to follow up on. That kind of thing the workout itself is probably the last thing on the priority scale of, things that you do because you've been watching. Him play all year You watch them in chicago. With the other guys the, workout you may have there are specific rules to the, workout in your, market so for example you cannot work out more than six. Guys at one time so the perfect workout is when you have six guys who were all playing similar positions and all who are are projected to be in a similar. Space of the draft because now you can you can kind of look at apples to apples and see how they. Play against each other but it's always you're, always couch, that with you know with, a degree of ambiguity, because you're not sure you know if if what you see good bad in the middle in a workout is really who the guy is and and and those are the things that, really temper you know your what you come away, with on, those uh you know We've Had We had carlos boozer who's, who was you know obviously had a terrific career and had Great. Years for the jazz came in for his first workout with us and and was.
Speaker 8: Not very good at.
Speaker 1: All, the second round yeah.
Speaker 9: But but but we we get him in the, interview, and, We, say hey uh carlos how was how'd you feel out. There in the court it looked like a little sluggish you, were you, didn't work you know it didn't quite, what we, Were expecting you know, and, and, HE said, WELL yeah. I know i apologize I am probably because i don't have a. Lot of energy today and we said is there a reason for that and you know or? Something we should, know, AND he goes. WELL i don't know i haven't eaten. In twenty four hours, and, we, said wa wha wha wha what you haven't eaten? In twenty four hour? What do, you, MEAN he goes well i got Up yesterday MORNING and durham and i had to GET the flight AND i don't have i don't, have A credit card so i. Don't have any money and When we traveled with duke on the, road for our games we were we were supplied, food by the team but we're always told that we couldn't we couldn't order any room service because they weren't allowed. To pay for THAT and so so i got here IN the hotel and i didn't. HAVE a credit card i, don't HAVE any money. So i haven't eat we go what?
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 9: Talking about you know and and so we actually had him come back for another workout, like two, weeks Later you know and, Kevin, O'Connor, told him look Carlos You go into golden state.
Speaker 8: Tomorrow for.
Speaker 9: Another workout you're going you, make sure you properly. You do, all that and look if you, ever have a problem here's. My credit card number you just keep it in your wallet and. Charge it, to me he goes don't. Don't be doing that you're you're you're. Playing with Your career and and carlos, was just, being honest you. Know with, THE process you know i, don't Have any money so, i'm not you, know that's you know, that's just. A situation you know and so and then you can, flip the other end and You Have, guys like donovan mitchell who had a nice a Couple. Of years, at louisville nothing Spectacular Nothing on the all american, level anything like that and he came in and doesn't, work out for us, and, and we're, going okay, all right hold on was this like just happened to be his day or is that something We didn't see at louisville, for whatever the reason or are? We what we're seeing is, that really you know to be believed or so you're you're, measuring all those things and it's. Always all, The scale you know Rudy came in and rudy had did his workout three, days Before the draft and rudy had Been sick in the, chicago pre draft camp so he did. Not perform very well so, a lot, of teams you know were skeptical about who he was because He was coming from france and he played on the lower division team there and maybe, he's just seven, one and you know it just, happens to be tall but isn't that good. Or whatever it is and he came in and, and for, us anyway you know really showed that he could move and could run and move his hips and we thought there was something there, and and you, know but even then he still slid to twenty, seven in, the draft you know and so these things go, all over the scale you Have to have a one of the things you really need in your room as a team is to have some guys who have, been through, that process you know many times and understand what it is and don't get up in the things that don't look really look bad or the things that look really good and don't. Get swayed either, way but, you have you know some kind of experience doing.
Speaker 8: That kind of thing obviously the.
Speaker 9: Jazz, do With You know with danny Ainge And guys like bart taylor who have been through, that for you know ten fifteen years now and have a good handle on. Those kind of things so that's that's the stuff you're looking for when, you get, them in you know for a for an on site workout and, trying to, figure out you know mostly who is this guy and is someone that we want to seriously consider.
Speaker 8: Adding to our group.
Speaker 2: Let me Follow up, about the donovan workout because it's one of these, chapters in jazz history in jazz lore that has a lot, of, Tales SURROUNDING it right AND i can remember i was with the team's radio, station at the time and you started hearing things after the workout Where. The Reports, were dennis dennis lindsey who was running the, team at the time basically told everybody you do not whisper a word about, what we just saw, and if you do you. WILL lose your job i don't know if, it was that dramatic but and Then It's interesting because summer league this year will Be Up at the huntsman Center As. They're renovating delta center And The last time summer League was at The delta centers when donovan went Head To head against jason tatum and, gave it to him and, that's, when everybody's like, wait Wait. A second, Because tatum i mean i'm not. TAKING a Victory lap i thought tatum was the best, player in that draft All Due respect to markelle folks who went number one and couldn't stay healthy and had. Some, weird stuff happen unfortunately THAT'S part of. The nba JOURNEY sometimes And when I watched donovan just i remember he slapped the Floor and, he picked tatum's pocket went down and dunked it with forst and STARTED doing things that i didn't. Know he could do what was it about That workout that motivated dennis to be so adamant like we just found something special here that maybe we didn't know that.
Speaker 6: We.
Speaker 1: Were, Gonna find.
Speaker 9: Yeah, YEAH first of all i would respond just To the notion that dennis. May have, said something you know nobody SPEAK about this or i don't if. IF that ever happened i wasn't in the, room during, that time because look we, were at that time we were picking twenty four that year in the draft, and during, the workout, film study, you know internal discussion conversations with other guys we knew around the league who you might have seen him more and knew a little. Bit more about him and as we did all of our background work and all, that kind of stuff he became a player. We were interested in but, we also felt, like you know enough other teams are going to see what we see and he's not going. To get, to us but okay we like. Him, to some extent okay we put him up on the wall and. Our board And whatever and then dennis was able to do his magic, on on, draft night you know and be able to. Move up to thirteen and because we, want everything we had we all of our research showed that he probably wasn't going to get past fifteen sixteen. Seventeen something like, that so you know sometimes those things happen and they. Fall, in your, lap now you know will we the only Team That you like donovan mitchell will be the, only ones, who saw you know what he might, Be able to know and that's that narrative is just. It's just not true you know a lot, of teams liked him a lot of teams had some concerns about why he didn't play that way When. He was, at louisville, you can you know look at a lot, of different things whatever and, and Some of it really spence just goes to the fact that you know, he HAS you KNOW what i would i determine now, looking back on it he just HAS more of an nba type game in him than you're allowed. To show in college and we see guys who can do that.
Speaker 8: From time. To time you know as far, as the, process itself you.
Speaker 9: Know we're we're we're always looking for different guys who can try and. Add to, your group you know it's everything you have, up on the board everything, that you're looking, at everything is monitored is recorded in terms of what. Teams you've talked to if you're trying, TO move you Know i know the jazz are picking five and twenty, one at the moment those are. The picks they have we always would, be careful, about saying you know are the picks we? Have at the moment are these because you never know if you're, going to move up, you're gonna move back you're gonna move, out of the draft depending on all all kinds of things that. Can be, going on of course This, year for, the jazz you know they're in a, situation where where, everything in my. Opinion is in play there is nothing, that's not you know either discussable or, something where you say yeah that we're just not gonna do that kind of a thing because they don't have a team, that's in, a position you know to to.
Speaker 8: To act like that so there.
Speaker 9: They'll HAVE everything open everything's i would think is in play as far as moving and trading and and trying to, compile picks and. Whatever blah blah blah and that's gonna be the interesting part for this next month is all the all the stuff that might be going On leading.
Speaker 8: Up to, draft day all.
Speaker 2: Right before, we catch a break let's move over to this draft and give me your. Thoughts on on, this so you know when you Look at who the jazz, have on their roster and in a way this Always concerned Me with donovan and mike, as a starting backcourt even though they're both awesome and obviously they've both gone on. To play, well elsewhere You Know we'll use oklahoma city as an example because they're just kind of the. Shining stars, Of Now you know lou dort, Six Five two twenty, alex carusoe sixty. FIVE one ninety five i feel like He's bigger than. That jay sixty, seven, even a guy uh Even A guy like cason wallace who's, six three sixty four plays a. Lot bigger than that jalen, is six, 's nine You Know uh so kendrick. Williams is six seven, So On the perimeter oklahoma city has. Tremendous size and, length and you know you saw last Night They just put. Anthony edwards in jail he. Had nowhere to go and when You look at the, Jazz, Roster, RIGHT now uh clarkson i don't know if he's part, of the future plans. But he's Six three they list. ISAIAH at six three i don't know. That he's sixty three kant. Sixty, Three Sixty four uh, colin sexton sixty three like the, majority of their guards uh aren't, necessarily big and long Like the wings From minnesota outside of mike And The. Wings FOR oklahoma city, and i, feel like you know, it's, Easy to say well danny likes Length because He. Drafted tatum and brown everybody likes length and. That's what you need so when you look at some of the Prospects available where the, jazz could be drafting and we don't. Know What's gonna happen ace bailey is six seven Six eight b. J, edgecomb Sixt' five uh the, Fears Kid, is small, trey johnson you know. Six four sixty five there are some big wings available with some length. And some size there dylan's not going. To get to them, Dylan would be, great dylan sixty five but he's probably probably gonna be off.
Speaker 1: THE board of two i think they need more length than.
Speaker 2: ATHLETICISM on the Perimeter i Feel like larry and walker are the Only two players where, I'd, feel confident like okay, we've got those two and then everybody else has a tremendous question, marks in MY opinion what sort i know you said. Everything's on the, table but At five what should jazz fans hope as far as Best case that the jazz, Could, WALK away with well i.
Speaker 9: Would think that a number of the guys that are. GOING to be there i think if they, ended up picking five there may be a couple of surprises that happened. AT three and four i think one and, two are probably then whether It's those Two Teams dallas and san antonio take take the Flag kid, and the harper kid or, or if, they they you know for some reason make a, trade of, some sort you know and a. Lot of the, scuttle but you know as you get closer to THE draft is gonna i think it's gonna start getting Some steam behind What giannie's situations in milwaukee and what's, gonna happen with that.
Speaker 8: Because those, would be to me would.
Speaker 9: Be very interesting Discussions if You're In dallas or san, antonio and you Know and somebody from milwaukee, calls, you and says hey, you got, a minute you know because, for you yeah, exactly and so uh anything could happen in that regard and. That in those slots, but then you know when, you, get, to three four five there's some discussion about who these guys could be and and what teams are gonna need, and and you know look at A, team like the jazz if they, don't do anything else and if they just stay at five and they end up picking, a gun at five they're, they're really their, responsibility in my opinion is to pick the guy whoever they think is the best talent and has the, best chance of.
Speaker 1: Succeeding, regardless doing well yeah because.
Speaker 9: Because they need players, they they they're badly they're at the bottom looking up and so you know you can't, be going for well we. Need a point guard so we'll just take. Whoever the point, guard and, you know you know if if you determine that some other guy uh at another position is going to. Be a better player now that that's always in a in a, an assessment you make that's always an evaluation of. Guys in your room, that's always you know ends, up being you know when all when, all the dust settles the guy who's your decision maker in This, case, for THE jazz uh It's I believe it's danny ainge. Has the, final word you know he'll he'll make an assessment based on everybody's input and how everybody has has seen uh seen these guys and determine what would be the make the Most sense for the jazz in terms of adding skill and. Talent to their base? What position is that who Knows is that the fears kid who you know may have a good careers as. As a point Guard is that The johnson kid from texas who's who's a flat out score, and has good, size uh you know has.
Speaker 8: Has a pro game, and a pro body uh? To go with?
Speaker 9: It at that, part at that point is that somebody Like The kid from duke nipple who's who measured uh shorter than than everybody thought He, was in in chicago but is a true playmaker out on the, floor with the ball is. Really a smart guy so do you need do you want a guy like that to? Add to your mix because as we're seeing with these teams that are still, alive in the playoffs they all have guys that fit in round, pegs into round holes meaning they put. Team, A Team Together right shay GILDERS. Alexander, is an mvp okay the home grown kid is not far behind in terms of just how, he affects the game what he. Brings on the floor but now you're talking about two key, contributors to their team where guys who are not even Drafted in Lou. Dort and and caruso and so you have to figure out as an organization who who, the big guys are who those guys, are going, to be. You know going forward but then you also have to plug in those holes somewhere along the line with guys that you determined can add to your group and fit in and be part of that puzzle you're. Trying to put together that's what makes doing this such a, difficult task for Teams. And that's why spence you see some organizations they're just always spinning their wheels and can never get attraction because they don't have the patients to be able to put a few pieces together and then wait till the next cycle and, put another piece together and then wait for the next cycle and try and see what they're doing long. Term and big picture and. That's That's the situation the jazz, are in right.
Speaker 2: Now about two hours away From tip off In indiana where The knicks and the pacers are.
Speaker 1: Going to do battle we.
Speaker 2: Have Some breaking news aaron nesmith is available to play after spraining his.
Speaker 1: Ankle in game three we'll.
Speaker 2: Catch a quick break we'll talk about that game TONIGHT And, we'll talk okc minnesota maybe do a little more Jazz Of time allows richard smith live in studio for one more segment coming up on the other SIDE right here, on espn seven hundred.
Speaker 1: About one hour.
Speaker 2: And fifty minutes away tip off tonight At, Massive game in indiana knicks are going to try to lock it up at. Two Games a piece the pacers will try to take a three to one lead. Over The next tonight aaron. Neismith available to play after spraining his, ankle in game three he left, for the locker room did come back and. Finish Off the game richard smith, Is, LIVE in studio smithy i wanted to get one more quick JAZZ thing in because i. Haven't Asked you this walker, kessler is extension eligible so the. Date is coming up as, far as you know The Decision to extend walker kessler fourteen point six. MIL free Agent Hole i got bobby mark's notes in Front of me. Because, bobby's the man yep it feels, like, A no.
Speaker 1: Brainer, RIGHT i mean walker.
Speaker 2: I feel like after, a great rookie year had, a dip year two but really played. WELL well year three i would imagine this is a formality that They Do.
Speaker 1: Lock, Up, WALKER kessler.
Speaker 9: Well spence i would agree with YOU in terms of i think he's a guy who who you can actually have as one of your pieces of trying to. Build something going forward so that makes sense to, Me on the surface but you have to, look behind the scenes and you have to look at your whole organization and the whole team and as you're trying. To build it out and they Don't Have to extend, walker kessler this year they can they can go another year on the last year what, would be next, year his fourth year the last year, of his rookie contract and then he would become. A, restricted free agent uh they can give, him a qualifying offer and then uh they.
Speaker 8: Can Wait, and.
Speaker 9: See because spence if if you're if you're not holding onto a guy who's helping you to get to a mountaintop, That, you're right near okay if you're just still trying, to build your foundation there are a lot of moving parts and pieces that that that could change between. Now and next summer he could have. A bad fourth year he could heaven forbid blow a knee out. And have something happen so there's not An urgency on the. Jazz's part to extend sometimes you want to do those things as a good faith measure and, to, show the player yeah, hey we want you and here we go and and so those are the decisions that, you have to make and those are the business decisions that you.
Speaker 8: Talk over with your.
Speaker 9: Group and your owner and then you're also you're talking with his his agent and and and trying to understand what all the ramifications are around uh extending him right away, or waiting on, it, or, you know, explaining hey you know we want to wait because next year we. Might, have more money uh he might play himself.
Speaker 8: Into a. Better deal.
Speaker 9: You know there's a lot of that jockeying around and and uh. Negotiating behind the scenes so there's a lot Of ways that the, jazz could play it but, just for our listeners for them to understand it in general business and, and Team building terms the jazz do not have. To do anything summer if, they choose not to they can ride it, out for another year where then next summer they would still. Have the Final say as with kessler being, a restricted free agent in terms of whether they want. To, bring it back, now that's what happened Going Back to, the gordon hayward scenario You. Know and, the jazz you know we're playing it out and then they offered, him a you know a deal that he wanted to, go get another offer which he did and he won that one and whatever and all that. That kind of, stuff but you KNOW, so in the nba as long as you like a guy and as long as he's your guy going forward and you think he's a good, part of, your future the team no, matter what it does always has the control for minimum of the first seven years of the player's career because you have that restricted free agency tag on them where you can always match an offer that someone. Else would give him so you're also playing that, game, because you say, well if we wait then next year he could. Earn some more money but maybe next year, we get him cheaper, or maybe, next year you know some team that has a whole bunch of money really loves them and they just, throw a, you know, a big you know wopping lowry market and type deal at, him, and, you go whoa whoa, we can't do. That you know whatever so there's a lot of a lot of dancing around behind closed doors that the team has to figure out is he going to be one of their guys that they want.
Speaker 8: To make that kind. Of financial commitment too.
Speaker 2: Let, me ask you this since You brought, up the hayward stuff there is a narrative that's been out there FOR a while and i don't know that ever.
Speaker 1: Fully BROUGHT into it. BUT i don't know.
Speaker 2: I have no idea my whole Assertion is the way gordon handled The Exit and. THE player's tribune article i feel like he wanted to sit at the cool kids lunch table, in A bigger market and i feel like he wanted to go play.
Speaker 1: For his college coach but some.
Speaker 2: People believe as a result of the decision not to simply maxim as soon as he was up for it and give him what he wanted after the rookie deal was able to be extended and tell him to go bet on himself was one of.
Speaker 1: The reasons he left do you put? Any, STOCK into that.
Speaker 5: No I.
Speaker 9: Don't know that i understand. WHAT that narrative was i think it Was more really knowing GORDON the way. That i know him it's just, MY own personal opinion i think when he had the opportunity to go play for his college coach and had the opportunity to go play for a Storied, franchise like the celtics and was going into a good situation where they had a chance to win, AND all that that i think that was too much of.
Speaker 8: A pull FOR.
Speaker 9: Him i think i do also think that, again my own opinion my own gut tells me that he was more comfortable playing here in this market because He's More Of a salt lake city type guy off the floor Than he is a boston type guy. OFF the floor there, i mean his personality, he's a quiet guy. He's A Family guy salt lake city really fit him to a t in terms of what uh he wants to be just in. His life IN general and so i was a little bit surprised When he went TO BOSTON, only because, i i you know coming coming from that that read growing up there in that, REGION of the country i knew there it wasn't something that that would, really, fit his personality uh outside of the basketball stuff and so the real life stuff. As WE call it so i knew that would be a major adjustment for for for, he and his. Family his young, family BUT you know but i, think that the poll, again just my opinion the Pull To play for brad Stevens and go to boston and do that was too much of a. Storybook thing, for him and look he. He ended up, leaving At that time the jazz had had the financial ability. To pay, more money you know he left in the neighborhood of forty million dollars on the Table. To go To boston that the jazz would have guaranteed him more because they could give him that fifth year that. That other teams couldn't that's, how, the rules were right and, and he, chose to you know leave that on. The table and, go and YOU know but again i think it was more of an emotional thing for him and on on the personal side than it. Was A, business thing all.
Speaker 2: Right a couple, Of minutes left here so let's get to the playoffs that are. Going on right now before, we get TO Tonight. Let's, talk okc minnesota okay see up three to One. And last night, smiddie first, of all awesome game, really fun of one. High level shot Making my assertion is minnesota beats maybe every team in the league last night besides. The, one they played Yeah and you know ants taking a. Lot Of heat today julius randall for, the second. Straight game just disappeared watched the game in the fourth quarter From The bench after chris finch decided to go. In a different direction all that's finding good And. We Can, talk minnesota this minnesota that they hung forty one points in the fourth quarter on one of the best. Defenses in pro basketball to me last night. Was Who okasee is mark dagnol was, asked after the game what'd you learn? About your, team, tonight he said? NOTHING who we are i thought last NIGHT was More. About okac than? Minnesota, what's YOUR take.
Speaker 9: Yeah Well, I think they yeah i. THINK you're exactly right i think It was a great it was, a great horse race and it came down to the, wire and, one team you, know got you know beat the other team, out by a nose. To use that Analogy, and you, know minnesota you know they have a, ball bounced their way or they have a shot, fall in for them or they have a foul call that should have been. Made, that wasn't, made whatever you know all those things that can happen in the tight game with under, two minutes to go a couple of, things go their way and, it's Two to two and randall has A bad game and ant has, just a pedestrian, game and, everybody goes look see you see these, guys are for real because look they're two main guys, were just so so and they still won the game against the team that. HAD the best record i mean that, would, be, the narrowest right so so.
Speaker 8: You know it was it. Was a close game it was a. Fun game.
Speaker 9: TO watch you know i do think it's Gonna be hard for minnesota to to ratchet up now because now they're gonna in order to get out of the series and and move, On to the finals minnesota's gonna, have to be okay see three times.
Speaker 1: In a row and twice and, twice in.
Speaker 8: That building and that that's gonna.
Speaker 9: Be a tough warder but as we've seen, early in the playoffs that's why you play them because maybe somebody gets, in early foul trouble maybe, somebody has an injury something happens to affect the sway of what the momentum. And what's going, on you never know somebody comes out of the Would work like if minnesota, Pulled, that game out spence you'd be talking about how good they, can play against okay see how, well rounded they are and that you Had A Guy, like nikhil, alexander walker you, know HAVE a, game a va Game have a tray, Man game right right and so you'd be talking about. That kind of thing and so the narrative always changes depending on when. You get close games just what, happened and you know a bounce of a ball here, and there or whatever and the whole tone and what everybody's talking about changes from one. Thing to the next and and when you lose and, it's a tough game then you're looking at your main guys and trying to point, the fingers at them which is which is always the lazy way.
Speaker 2: Out in my opinion so in about an hour and, a half in change we have Tip Off of. The pacers knicks game It, is two on indiana AND since you, and I last spoke the knicks pulled a miraculous comeback off as they've done this year in the postseason. A few different times and when they went down twenty, IN the second quarter i almost went. And hit, Golf balls i'm Like i'm not doing. I'M not watching this i don't think enough was talked about as far as the way they closed the second quarter to.
Speaker 1: Get it within thirteen.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound awesome but when you're down twenty and all the momentums going the other way and you're able to get a, couple of threes here there are a, couple stops here there and just end the hap with a little bit of confidence so you. KNOW you're not dead i felt like. That that Wasn't nothing the knee smith. Injury changed the game he's. Available to play tonight we'll see. If he can go he did come back in. And close The Game but when, nie smith went down it kind of changed the way that you Know.
Speaker 1: They were guarding jalen jalen.
Speaker 2: Gets in foul trouble when you were in studio last week and when we're on The, GOLF course on friday, i Said to you can tom Find Ten? Minutes for landry shammitt can he find ten to fifteen minutes for precious to you who did not. Get Off The bench former delon wright got some ron. Played really good defense It's weird to see delon play with, so little confidence offensively like he wasn't looking to attack, at all on offense but Did guard well and shaman gave him some. Good Run as well mitchell robinson, In The starting lineup josh. HART to The bench i give josh a lot of credit for the way he played coming in off the bench. With ten big rebounds he's as good OF a rebounding wing i think as there. Is in the league no Part Of me believes new york is. Gonna win this Series that's. Just where i'm at we'll. See what happens tonight pacers are a two. Point five point favorite so before we end, our hit this week Your thoughts on the knicks come back and what do?
Speaker 1: You, think, HAPPENS tonight.
Speaker 9: Yeah well i think, the first of all for all of the, talk all season long, everybody, has the, teams. Themselves the media Everybody, You're, Talking in december january february about who is in the position to have home court advantage in the first, round of the playoffs and everybody's always that's that's. Always The talking point the knicks so far are three and Five At Home and masison square, garden in the playoffs and they're six and.
Speaker 8: One on the road so? What does that mean who.
Speaker 9: Knows what it means other teams get Up To Play, at Madison square garden the knicks don't play as fluidly maybe or as easy because they got all those the expectations and everything on them that they're supposed to win When they're at The Garden and the new york fans are going to get them across the finish line or whatever. Whatever the mantra is and then they go on the, road and, they play you. Know, whatever they do now they've had several games that they've won in the sixth and one road playoff run of theirs where it's been a one minute game and it's been, whoever makes this shot or, whoever gets this stop or whoever makes a defensive play or whatever. It's going To be and the knicks had been able to do it several times in these playoffs.
Speaker 8: To to to.
Speaker 9: Uh to their credit and, Then the other night towns just went went on a, heater and you know he had one of. THOSE three point shots i thought he was just throwing up to. Hopefully get a foul they, didn't call the foul but. He banked it, in, but you know okay so. Called, Banks, it in okay okay that that's what's going, on, At this moment okay and he FELT it And and i think indiana felt.
Speaker 8: It a, little bit but.
Speaker 9: Again the same thing the, ball bounces one way the ball, bounces the other way, a shot goes in one of his shots doesn't, fall, or Rims out whatever, and indiana comes out and all of a sudden they're up, three to oh right and everybody's Talking about burying, the knicks and everything and, now, the talk Is hey can the knicks do it again and and even this series And Get? Back to, NEW york, you, know, I say uh gee i'm looking at, the Playoffs so far and i'm looking at their record on. THE road and home I don't know if i Don't know if the knicks want. To go back home maybe they they just want to keep, SAYING on, the road i mean. The way they're playing, but it's. A fun entertaining, series They both are, and i'm expecting nothing nothing.
Speaker 8: LESS than that tonight. I think it's uh i think.
Speaker 9: IT'S fun to watch i think both teams, really get after, It and both teams spence, to your earlier point have done things with their roster where it's, not just you know top draft picks that are that. Are pulling the wagon it's other guys that they've brought in and pieced together to have a full team effect that that that.
Speaker 8: Can help you, win.
Speaker 1: Should be fun smitty great to see you. Enjoy the game. Tonight we'll, chat soon. Thanks man Appreciate It.
Speaker 2: The great, richard smith, all right coming up Join me For The kyle. Van neu golf tournament So, Join me on monday june third for the Twenty Twenty Five Van ney charity Golf Challenge Of the black Desert Resort. In scenic saint george all the proceedings from this tournament go To Benefit The van ney valor foundation that helps foster Kids. And the adoption foundations kyle was, adopted as an infant so this cause.
Speaker 1: Is very meaningful to.
Speaker 2: Him and His, Family starts on sunday, june the twenty second with a welcome cocktail party at SEVEN o'clock AND. A Q, and a on monday we get going at eight am with a check in And a breakfast. At club seventy three welcomes, at eight forty five, Shotgun start at nine awards. Are at two thirty lunch will be served on The course go to vannigolf twenty twenty five dot.
Speaker 1: Give smart, dot com all right we'll get to the five o'clock out of the program coming up.
Speaker 2: In just a minute one of my favorite bumps leading into This segment song called montreal By The Ghost. Of paul revere? Porter have you ever have you ever had A chance to visit? Montreal in the summertimes that's something you've ever had?
Speaker 1: A chance to do? Montreal? In, the summertime oh man one. WOULD be so LUCKY i. Don't, Think i have okay i've never Even Been, to the montreal well you should know that it's.
Speaker 2: On my bucket, list AND you know if i have any friends that ever Plan a trip to, MONTREAL in the summer i just would.
Speaker 1: Like to be included. I'll go.
Speaker 2: With you thank you let's get, to our next, Guest live in Studio, Voice of the Stars, voice of the Royals Host of, the roundball roundup podcast and former a producer And Founder of THE Drive This Program.
Speaker 1: Jp john paul chunga? How are you pal.
Speaker 7: I'm honored to do this in person because that would have been hitting me in a different.
Speaker 1: Way, over the phone indeed it's. GREAT to, SEE you i. Mean i don't. Know have you been have you been to The fine?
Speaker 8: City?
Speaker 1: Of MONTREAL before.
Speaker 7: No but, i HAVE my passport so i would love to. Go at some point. It'd be really fun.
Speaker 1: Do you have any plans to?
Speaker 8: GO at?
Speaker 1: Any time? I? DO you?
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 1: Yeah I, Do.
Speaker 7: Yeah over july i'm Gonna. Be going, TO montreal oh man i got a lot of Stuff.
Speaker 1: GOING on, in july I Know.
Speaker 7: Big Twelve media days Media, Days is during July, Summer leagues during july and do you have a.
Speaker 1: Packed social schedule on top of?
Speaker 7: Everything THAT you do so i know that it's going to be very difficult to get you away for a trip if it.
Speaker 1: Were to Be in montreal in july. On, the twenty, fifth.
Speaker 2: Yeah hypothetically, speaking only hypothetically, SPEAKING let's be clear i probably could not.
Speaker 1: Make.
Speaker 2: It, happen, UNFORTUNATELY yeah yeah, yeah i know that, which you already knew. Which you, already knew let's see where? Should We Start today john paul lot going on in The Land, Of the utah jazz lot Going on with the.
Speaker 1: Royals and the stars what's keeping? You busiest? Right now Right.
Speaker 7: Now it's the royals. And what they're doing had a. Game OVER the weekend and i don't know if. You watched the broadcast it was just.
Speaker 2: Your boy, on it, solo, style solo style wow, cutting budget more huh.
Speaker 7: Two, hours and thirty minutes entertaining people. Who are watching television i'm very impressed actively watching, Tele VISION is this and i, give you great credit going Live two To, six monday through friday, no exceptions except, YESTERDAY well Four Hours.
Speaker 1: I mean memorial day we take it. OFF for the troops i mean you can knock on us for. THAT if. YOU'D like. I agree i agree you should. Have taken yesterday. OFF and you did i know that was such a difficult thing. FOR you to do.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to i asked. To do the show the key. Card did not Work You.
Speaker 7: Were like colin cowherd you do not, take breaks every day. No VACATIONS every day but i did the, broadcast solo two HOURS, thirty minutes on kmyu The Home. Of the utah royals you can watch those games Next One, up against racing louisville but following this team ahead of An International break Where ali sentnor the sensation's going to BE playing for the us Women's, national team this saturday against a Top.
Speaker 1: TWENTY team in china I. Knew it was china give. ME a little credit I.
Speaker 7: Knew it, was CHINA congratulations sir and i bet You also, knew about mandy McGlenn Who's Also on. The utah royals, roster had six saves had, nine the week before including the save OF The.
Speaker 1: Week On.
Speaker 7: Buyu zone actually hatch people know her from her starring For. THE team down south i know you're not allowed.
Speaker 8: To say.
Speaker 7: That name thank you you remember she made a save eleven converted penalties Up until.
Speaker 1: She met mandy McGlenn.
Speaker 7: She's in soaring form, ali's in soaring form and they're getting ready for this INTERNATIONAL break for The. Us takes on china that consumes me right now and as they look to turn the corner on this second year Of Existence.
Speaker 1: As the utah royal so.
Speaker 2: Two AND A half hours tv solo indicates the. Budget has been cut who's? To Blame For That, DAVID james djack.
Speaker 7: No dj wasn't available, his SON was graduating which i absolutely. Understand empathize with that he had to go and. Attend A family, Matter so i. Said i'll do, it. I'll do it solo i'll talk to myself for two, and A half, hours AND i did and i thought.
Speaker 2: It went pretty well, did you enjoy it. Because some people don't some people, think that a heavy.
Speaker 1: Heavy burden to.
Speaker 7: Bear so it wasn't The first time that i've had. To do it solo they had me do a couple of, games last year solo but. It was ONLY radio but for tv you'd just pare it, back a, little bit less words. SO it is fine, i really enjoyed it and it was an awesome performance by one of the best PLAYERS, In All of Nwsl barbara banda with orlando and They have the legend marda who's on and is Still playing the goat, wow of women's soccer. Thirty nine years.
Speaker 1: Old she's still. Playing at thirty nine.
Speaker 7: She signed a two year extension, to start this year so.
Speaker 1: She's playing. Next year that's twelve she's going to play at.
Speaker 7: The age of FORTY she got the, nwsl championship last year the only thing, that she doesn't have and then now just trying to.
Speaker 1: Add to the. Legacy at thirty nine She's Going to go. Tom brady on.
Speaker 2: Us so we got one two and seven minus eleven goal, differential eight goal. Scored nineteen goals allowed what gives why? The lack of results ali's obviously awesome.
Speaker 1: Injuries is one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: The reason for that they've lost their captain who's supposed to be coming back After, The Break. Against louisville paige monahan she hasn't been with the team since, the very first game and, Then Their, center back kaylee real also has. Been injured as well the top, Earner on The, team chloe la, cast their goal scorer was out with an acl at the, end of last year so they're expecting her later. On in this summer but, without the goal, scorer without the captain without, your major center back you've just had to dig deep into a, lot of this lineup in the. Depth of the squad but ultimately there's still. A lot of time there's the second half of the SEASON, to go in nwsl and if anything shows from the, chaos of the league you get a couple, of good results together you can actually string things to where, you're in playoff contention just like how they were last year where they didn't have this many points at this same.
Speaker 2: Point of, the season that's right they did go on a. Crazy rundown the year while, WE'RE in the space i know that this. YEAR has been.
Speaker 1: Challenging i know that.
Speaker 2: IT has been trying i would imagine it has tugged at your. HEARTSTRINGS a little bit i don't know. What, you're talking about well last year we have a fifteen. Game on beaten streak we have, records for goals. Scored records, for points, it is you know a season that brought a lot of people out of hope about not just THE, current situation with rsl but what the.
Speaker 1: Future could look like, GOMEZ no, longer here I?
Speaker 2: Believe is it france they sold them To, A team in france Chicho Scoring. Goals in san, Jose you know what i'm not even Going. To bring up moose I'm going to LEAVE moose aside because i know what. That does to, you but you know a lot Of, Offensive Firepower. GONE anderson, JULIO ando I, mean i call himano but you call HIM whatever you want i call may be, several pieces moved on very. Few pieces, brought In Our guy big willie goles has not looked. The part just yet, on a serious note this feels like a. LOST season for ourselves i don't see an avenue. Back, Already lost season yes i'm ready. TO say lost season i.
Speaker 1: Mean they lost, me AT the beginning.
Speaker 7: So i know that how's it even more of a lost season when you've already lost somebody who was with? You since day, one lifelong rsel, fan lifelong was there is there at, meet, The Team, day Meeting Jason Christ, MEETING, Leslie tiger Fitzpatrick, dj countess j knolly all the people for them to see, this regression in results. Aggression and gold production and the only promise that you Get IS That This harriman messi xavier gozo's coming on this team that you. Can really, BUILD behind you, KNOW i need goals. I need attractive soccer i, need an idea Something As our friend, chris camronnie, would say he said is there an? Idea on the field and sometimes you just. Don't see any Ideas so.
Speaker 2: That's why i'm out All They do is diego Luna well and as ali is headed. To the national team diego is gonna represent the National Team, in the gold cup so they're going to lose him.
Speaker 1: FOR six, SEVEN weeks i honestly i.
Speaker 2: Just.
Speaker 1: Don't SEE it man like i try TO.
Speaker 2: Be optimistic and i want that, team to do well but they are so uninspiring.
Speaker 1: And THEY'RE so boring and i, like the gosh kid but he.
Speaker 2: Just graduated high school, Sign a grown, up sign, an adult you. Know like do something but now we have to wait till. The primary transfer window when the marquee signing is the? Goalkeeper secondary, transfer. Window, EXCUSE me summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah i know people. WOULD be correcting you, I don't want Text, i don't want. Yeah they and such they're, still going to.
Speaker 7: Text so It's Okay but when ralpha cabral is Your big move and i'm supposed to get psyched about how many, SAVES that he's making i don't know if that that. Moves the needle here knowing that people Like Our great friend nate bench and eight would show up and To your attacking soccer pablo would have. This team playing effervescent they would be, electric on the field and then you see. What they have now not putting the investment with all the transfers that, you have going out it should be going right back into the team and knowing that there is so much that. YOU had last year i just feel a. LOT of a lot i feel a lot for the fans that are supporting this team because it can. Get to great heights you've seen it. Get to great heights just? Isn't there right.
Speaker 2: Now do You have confidence despite twitter polls out, there who to blame that the ownership transition will lead to economic, Investment in additional talent because. Here's the deal, man as you know once upon a time you could build a good team on a.
Speaker 1: Budget in this league that's how we did it in.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and nine that allowed that club To Lift down My ls Cup over beckham and donovan and the team of stars against the, team.
Speaker 1: Is the star right we. Can't DO that anymore like.
Speaker 2: I don't know a grip about any of these players that, are brought in elsewhere but you read the releases where they're paying four or five million dollars, for a, bit winger you know to support the fifteen million. Dollars striker they signed so with The Ownership TRANSITION and mike, guy rai shout out backward hat, Guy in their. Forties no big deal he's got his playfull With, hockey and the jazz. So he Steps aside my guy blitz maintains a portion. Of the ownership control But now. It's the miller's show do you think? They're gonna write checks.
Speaker 7: They have to prove it this upcoming transfer window. And the successive ones but looking at the track record with what They've, done with the jazz you have to think that that if they believe that, there's a winner there they, will invest in it because that's what.
Speaker 1: They'd done the past.
Speaker 7: If you give them good reasons to Go into luxury tax i'm sure they would have Done. It With the, jazz, when dennis asks hey can we start making real Trades to Build around donovan and rudy and This Next, iteration POST gordon hayward can i get that green Light And? Go FOR mike conley Can I? Sign boy on bugdanovic, and EVEN before That Could?
Speaker 1: I SIGN niko miritic? Could?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: That yeah you can they gave him the.
Speaker 7: Opportunity to do that so if you really have a detailed plan and are ready, TO go for it i have No doubt that the millers would be, able to do that and you.
Speaker 1: Need to give them a.
Speaker 7: Little bit of time they're Still in the hunter sufice. Sending out, your polls it's, OKAY it'll be. Fine i get it you're in the front row of the supporters section wearing a, tight jersey looks sick.
Speaker 1: But it'll, be okay you know you can choose. Your size of jerseys it doesn't have.
Speaker 8: To be.
Speaker 1: That snug all right, we're all, getting.
Speaker 2: Older we are indeed and, one more thing here because you do hear this, thing, where It's like well the millers didn't go into Luxury, tax for the jazz a. Luxury TAX paying team the nba is one hundred and. Eighty five million dollars how much money do you have? To spend, an mls not that but let's talk about, a number for real because you don't have to spend one hundred, and eighty five, mil, but, you ten fifteen, twenty and you know spend seven or?
Speaker 1: Eight on one?
Speaker 2: Guy don't you know be bringing four Million dollar players, Like Diego is awful lachlan brook can't get, Off the bench. Mark zuke has moments but instead of bringing in three or four like eight hundred, thousand million dollar players go spend seven eight nine million? Dollars on one dude what sort of money are? We really looking at what type of money are we looking at to get this team back to Consistent Competitive Level in major league soccer.
Speaker 1: Fifteen, to twenty mil.
Speaker 7: Yeah it's around there especially to get. Just, a goal scorer yeah. Because they Needed somebody you saw chico, at a big burden And, Even He. Needed anderson julio andrescomez he he needed things around. Him to be successful but you have to find someone at the most, crazy position in soccer which is being able to score goals when eleven people are trying to stop. You from doing that and it's why all those guys go, for such high, draft such high capital because it is. A very difficult job this isn't two thousand and nine where the guy who takes the penalty kick.
Speaker 1: Is now A, Doctor.
Speaker 2: Shout out Robbie Shout, out doctor robbie Russell The Championship. For, Salt lake city yes, saunders on his line and you Think About, not Only robbie Russell But.
Speaker 7: UCLA's own tony beltran that isn't the same thing.
Speaker 8: That you.
Speaker 7: CAN Do Right now a lionel messi is attacking you, ON the other end i don't know how it's gonna faire When he's going against UCLA's number. Three in the back you have to invest in these teams and they have. The Youth, investment thing really well You go OUT to harriman as i am. GRINDING often pounding pavement I know, that watching royals practice you see that the youth. Setup is good there they. Have a great facility people want to go and play. There and train there but now it needs to match an investment on the.
Speaker 1: First senior team level.
Speaker 2: Pablo on the show last, week broke little news because, we're journalists around here hard hitting, at that film shoes that he Was told that the millers. Are, actually, no longer well no, it's not No longer but the millers are not Interested in like Selling diego and developing, gozo and moving on like they want to keep.
Speaker 1: THE young players here i thought that was a.
Speaker 2: Piece, of good news now If A club In Bundesliga, little inside la lega whatever call and Offer, thirty mil for diego you probably take The. Thirty mil for diego, but until that Happens if, you're an ursel fan that's Good news that maybe diego's here.
Speaker 1: For a few years.
Speaker 7: That's the whole thing if they're willing to invest in the player that everybody, is going, to watch and frankly every other team is looking to defend and. He still produces right which is the Most amazing part about diego is that he's a marked man amongst a team that doesn't really. Have many marked men that he can. Do that is unreal if they're willing, to, invest in that dude you have to give this ownership group the benefit of doubt that they'll start to figure and piece Things together with what Kurt has going in looking, at all these players.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like diego is now moon man and?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Longer moon, boy yeah oh yeah.
Speaker 7: He's Been Moon man when marizio pochattino talks, about his big manhood that is proof.
Speaker 1: That he's a man he's. No longer a.
Speaker 2: BOY i'm, with you i mean we could get into the dark Arts, and then done sethary but we can leave that aside real quick before you. GET to, the jazz i know you know this ninety Five days. Away from utah football my question is When do you start we start our countdown at One hundred.
Speaker 1: Days for utah football when? Do You Start yours.
Speaker 7: When phil steele comes, out with that book when it arrives at the door, after the PRE order that's when, i start my campdown BECAUSE that's that's when. I, Know it's real YEAH and that's when i can start, looking at two, deeps fall, camp battles quarterback, rooms. Tight end ROOMS personnel that's when i start really. Gearing in thirteen personnel we're fans of. That on, THE show all right, a few minutes Left let's.
Speaker 2: Socco little jazz here so we're just a few weeks Away from the, draft june twenty, Fifth and you know, i'm watching last, Night and you, know crusoe's six', Five dort is six,' five shay is, six' seven uh and obviously. Chets But but they're, They're perimeter players. Cason Wallace six' four jalen sixty. Six the jazz need Length on the. Perimeter and we'll see what taylor can do like obviously he was hurt. AND so we don't. Know anything about him i still like. Him cody's built had a.
Speaker 1: Rough.
Speaker 2: Year one we'll, SEE what happens Here two. For OUR listeners jp is a jazz employee so i. Want to put you in a bad, spot but as you look at the draft, what do you hope they, come away, with whether, they stay at five trade up trade down?
Speaker 1: What do. YOU hope they Come away, with this year.
Speaker 7: I think they for them it's another big swing trying to get that guy. Who can help this team as Everybody's Young because you look at the way okay, see built it a lot, of draft PICKS a lot of young players and. The cba is going to crush them eventually but still that's the way that they're going about building this team. And taking big Swings With their draft picks, you look at danny aingel's history. In drafts him being. Able to find players he's done it before. He knows exactly what gets winning teams together so Of Why You don't Blanche When he drafts jason. Jlen, brown and jason tatum in successive? Drafts, oh isn't there a little position crossover no he realizes that this is a league about.
Speaker 1: Wings and you.
Speaker 7: Need wings as The, Lifeblood of your team so for the jazz i'm hoping that they find someone who can eventually be an impactful player come the time that they're ready to go out and win and pushing the other draft capital. Because, THEY can't use every Single draft pick sure i think of the nets as a team that are they going to? Use four first round draft. Picks this year four first round Draft picks, it's Not the three that the, jazz had and brooklyn's in a, similar situation but four first round draft. Picks how are they going to use that You're going to see things move with the jazz as they start to keep getting in that talent acquisition mode and get to the point where they've got.
Speaker 2: Guys who will be a part of this we keep hearing a lot About the potential of being. Bold and san antonio at two is interesting which. FAVORS the, bold the team is the star i mean we're. Dropping All of the tip bit You need san antonio two. Is interesting in phillya three is also interesting philly's More Win.
Speaker 1: Now Because Of m.
Speaker 2: BEAT and, paul george the paul george stuff i mean you hear The Stuff about maybe they'll. Move on From paul george and trade, three if the jazz wanted to. Do that it would have to, include marketing if you look at the numbers. There's NO other way to Make It work and i don't Know that paul george, is something that the jazz, would look at even If A men three five and lowry for. PAUL george and three and some other, pieces i don't know maybe there's something there? But do you believe that there's the potential like If you if, you do your calculation on dylan at two do you believe it's worth going all in as much as you can. To, Try to move up. And Grab him no, dallas isn't moving, One, du mott was like. We're keeping one nico, you can't trade It we're, keeping you know we're gonna draft cooper flag.
Speaker 1: Which is sad that, an, owner has. To come out and say yeah sure don't we're. Gonna, do the. Thing that, we should.
Speaker 2: Do yep don't, worry ideas pow don't worry but if, two's if two and three are In play would you like to see the jazz get bold and kind of try to do what they.
Speaker 1: Can to, maybe get a franchise changing piece of, course because they need a franchise changing.
Speaker 7: Piece, they need, somebody that, can be it yeah the guy the coverman the dude who can get this done because that guy currently isn't on the roster. AND you Need them at this top level i Know Indiana, is a very different case with tyrese halburton but he's very very good and they did it. Through shrewd trades to GET to that point but you need those. A Level guys to have some Serious Winning Jalen, Brunson Invested in by the new york, knicks anthony edwards a number one overall Pick And Then. The entire cavalcade of the. Oklahoma city thunder all of that was investment was finding a guy and then, building around him someone. Who is a Level top of. The line that's what this jazz Team Needs you.
Speaker 2: Find yourself cheering for The tea wolves because of. ALL the ex jazz guys.
Speaker 5: On the.
Speaker 1: Right i root for. Good basketball.
Speaker 2: That's, IT that's, ALL you want that's it well i mean i know how much. YOU'VE been grinding on tape for the draft i just wonder HOW much. SPACE you have, Left for actual nba.
Speaker 7: Basketball I watch both i'm Thinking about Both when i, WENT to see dylan and ace. IN person, I, know you Did gum Shoeing, I Know, okay driving From philly to piscataway new. Jersey everybody knows i'm putting in the. EFFORT i'm thinking about, THE next level always i know.
Speaker 2: You are i know You are all right we'll call it because I've. Taken us to the top of the hour i've Got to get to, the five, O'clock hour Live, coming up next of. Course roundball round up all? The Great Projects where Can.
Speaker 7: They find Them Roundbowl Rounduputah Jazz. Dot com just search utah jazz podcast network you'll be Able to find It and Then catch the royals next week friday racing louisville. On cam y your local Listings for That?
Speaker 1: Are, YOU caught UP on friends and neighbors yes.
Speaker 7: I completely. I watched it all you did. It's awesome i Have Only one episode deep you. Need a john Hamm On your basketball TEAM you.
Speaker 8: Need a.
Speaker 7: JOHN hamm and, YOUR tv series, HE'S back i. Like it i am in i.
Speaker 1: Love it i'm gonna, go, WATCH.
Speaker 2: It Tonight Great to see you buddy Jp john Paul chung a voice of the Royals The stars. And also host of the roundball roundup podcast most.
Speaker 1: Notably and importantly a founder.
Speaker 2: AND a Former Producer of this Radio Show jp STOPS Spot Today.
Speaker 1: Courtesy who our friends.
Speaker 2: At ifa country stores when the, seasons change if you like any good coach you'll put together your game plan for a healthy green LAWN. And you'll TURN To the experts at. Ifa got some nhl playoffs coming your way coming up, on The other side.
Speaker 1: Of a quick Break. The Oilers And the.
Speaker 2: Stars live from edmonton four utah mammoth Players Are now Gold medal winners As The united states of america won the world championships. For the, first time SINCE Nineteen thirty three. And then of course, nba playoff basketball Tonight over on The Fan It, is the Pacers And the new york knicks where the indiana pacers are a two point five point favorite to win tonight at home. And take, a commanding three to one. Lead all right porter vibe check vibe check. TIP off is in, a COUPLE of minutes i will say this and i Agree with the Assertion That Just having the knicks in the eastern, conference Finals has been a lot. Of fun and i've Enjoyed watching these games it's the first time i've. LIKE nervous watched anything In a long time. I nervous watched, the jazz, when they're good i'd like to you know, cheer FOR our local. Teams, all The Time but i don't know, man de nie smith. Injury is not nothing it, Really is not we'll see if he. Starts we'll see how many minutes he plays if, you watch the replay of.
Speaker 1: His ankle role it actually wasn't very severe.
Speaker 7: He just.
Speaker 2: KIND of went Over On it we'll see i would Imagine Mitchell robinson GETS the start again, for JOSH hart If i Ask you this if i took, jalen and kat off the table and said who needs to step up on offense for the, next outside of their two stars the most give, ME a third Guy You're.
Speaker 1: LOOKING for, tonight.
Speaker 3: I think it's michel bridges i agree, yep i don't know That it should be but it is mckail bridges because of what, he's shown us his his mid range game his ability to his ability to Kind Of, keep up space against defenders like Pascal siakam. And and, THE link that That indiana has YOU know i go with bridges just because i, think that when he is on the addition, his shooting makes and here's the other. Thing he's going to, play forty plus minutes so if he's on it's. Going to give, you way way more production then, YOU know if McBride Is so for me i look at mickael bridges as not Not only does, he need to be the knicks. Number three but he's got to be aggressive he's got to be hitting that Pull up, jay that, he did in the celtics series and man if we could get a, few corner threes out of Him a game it's It's Huge for the knicks. Spacing and for jalen brunston's OPERATION as. Well that's THAT'S kind of where i look but ultimately i.
Speaker 1: Think it's to be. A bi committee.
Speaker 2: Approach you still have confidence i taught you. Four hours ago when we, started the show As We say good night you?
Speaker 1: STILL think new. York. Can get this done i think so man there's, we're.
Speaker 3: Getting into the point, of this series right, we're seven games in we're several series in and these coaches are to a point now where they kind of, know what the other guy is gonna try and they're starting. To be a little bit of the gamesmanship they're starting to be a little bit, Of the back and forth of, All right I'm gonna maybe throw this Out I'm gonna i'm gonna try something that rick. Carlisle hasn't seen on film or vice versa we're starting to see. A little bit of that in, this series, that's what it gets really interesting really fun and we may learn a lot about what, The rest OF the series looks like, tonight and Like i said the last time WHOEVER wins, tonight's gonna maybe. Probably most likely i Think win, the SERIES.
Speaker 2: Don't let us, win game four as i cantinue, to say don't let us. Win, game FOUR go back, to the garden although, as i said earlier with these two teams home court IS.
Speaker 1: Not nearest paramount as. It is, with okc that's just my.
Speaker 2: Opinion all right let's get out of here time To watch some basketball and Some puck Tonight porter what comes our.
Speaker 1: Way, on a wednesday edition of the.
Speaker 3: Program yeah Already, Halfway through the work week ON A Wednesday Tim McMahon Stops, By The nba daily assist. On A Wednesday Neil smith Talking Some puck former nhl STANLEY, cup winner Jason christ Stops by for rssel AND then chris com ronnie entire hour with. Ck in, studio to finish off The show.
Speaker 2: All right that'll be a good wednesday program And we. Will say good night for this Tuesday Show, And A, Special Thank, you to rafael BARLOW Lee Ellis Richard.
Speaker 1: Smith and our guy jp.
Speaker 2: John paul chung always good to see him for any sound, that you made, miss from THE program today website's an option. Which is espn seven hundred sports dot com make sure to download a. Mobile APP and take us on the go the espn Seven Seven hundred app Is available In. The app, store, in the google play store and then finally for what we do, in our space for every. Afternoon four hours Check out The. Podcast page It's called the drive with spence check. It's, it's, available, wherever you get your shows subscribe, rate review say nice things.
Speaker 1: In the comments give us all.
Speaker 2: The Stars It actually HELPS out for Porter i'm, spen sing and i enjoy your. Tuesday evening enjoy some hockey and Some hoops we'll talk to you, on a wednesday show and us as ALWAYS you can catch IT. Right here on espn seven hundred ninety Twefm WE Are proud. To be part of utah's espn radio network