Speaker 1: Ah back again.
Speaker 2: So soon.
Speaker 1: I see you must.
Speaker 2: Be enjoying the Halloween week with Wicked and Grim. Will welcome. My name is Jacko, and for the next five days I will be your master of ceremonies. We've heard two tales, both Robert the Doll and the nineteen eleven Death Row Baseball Game, both dark and twisted tales, indeed, but Nicole has something much more in store for you to day, a little bit more of a heartbreak mixed with a birth of a cult classic tale. Now let me introduce you to the ones who will bring you this tale. Ben and Nicole.
Speaker 3: Of course they're enjoying this ship, Jacko.
Speaker 1: I think. So it's Halloween week, they're getting Wicked and Grim seven days in a row.
Speaker 3: It's just pure epic noss, really pure epic noss.
Speaker 1: But I have to do something that we haven't done for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're getting requests actually.
Speaker 1: Because because my sober October has put me aside. There's no happening on here though. This is non alcoholic. This is just a big old iced tea, iced tea or sweet tea for the southern southern folk down there. But yeah, so it's not alcoholic, but we still get.
Speaker 3: The out of this, and I've not been like picking up the pace. Heck's wrong with me?
Speaker 1: You got to pick up the slack for me.
Speaker 3: I know I haven't been.
Speaker 1: Okay, soon I'll be dipping back into my drinks to more.
Speaker 3: I'll be picking up the pace. Well, how is this songing? This is fun? Hey?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of work, though, it is a lot of work, but it's very enjoyable. Actually it is.
Speaker 1: I'm having a blast.
Speaker 3: It's make it okay. I haven't been like Halloween's not This isn't my favorite. Like I've always been more of a Christmas yes, but this year I'm like really enjoying Halloween, and I think it has to be about right.
Speaker 1: So because every year I'm like twisting your arm to freaking carve pumpkins, hand out candy or something, and this year I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Like a Halloween photo shoot. We're watching scary movies and I'm even like suggesting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wanted to watch Amityville Horror tonight?
Speaker 2: Like it.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, fuck, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: It's like pretty much a new me, right, look at this.
Speaker 1: Who I'm loving it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You are loving yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Also, your wu was like perfectly untiming there, So I love that.
Speaker 3: You know, we must like live together or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we must be married or something something.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is fun. Today I'm going to be talking about Mary Shelley. I don't know if that rings a bell.
Speaker 1: That rings not a single bell.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's not going to be ringing bells for people, but who knows. So Mary Shelley and her dead husband's heart. Ooh, that sounds kind of intriguing, does it not?
Speaker 1: Sounds a little twisted and definitely intriguing.
Speaker 3: So who is Mary Shelley?
Speaker 1: Do tell?
Speaker 3: So she was born on August thirtieth seventh, seventeen ninety seven, so fucking long ago. I don't even know how to say the date. And then she died on February first, eighteen fifty one. So she's an English novelist who called the novel Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, really super cool.
Speaker 3: So I guess it was called frank Frankenstein or the modern pers I was like, shit, how do I say that? I'm trying to like recall how I.
Speaker 1: Was n face. You're just like terror.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this is the creator of Frankenstein, and I have absolutely no idea when I picked this case because I picked it for other reasons, the heart reason, and it just like fell into my lap. How perfect it was? Oh dang, I love when shit like that happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know, I just thought that was super cool. So Frankenstein tells the story of I feel like most people will know Frankenstein, but whatever. It tells the story of Victor Frankenstein, a young scientist who creates a sapient creature in an unorthodox scientific experiment.
Speaker 1: It creates a what creature?
Speaker 3: Sapient?
Speaker 1: What the fuck does that mean?
Speaker 3: I think it's like sane? Oh, okay, does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Got you?
Speaker 3: Does that make sense that it would be sane?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Did I ask you sensible? Okay? I was gonna say, did I ask you a word that you're not too sure? Like one of those words where you can like use it in a sentence but you don't know how to define it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, no, I know what it means. But now I'm like, does that make sense? But Frankenstein? Now I'm trying to remember exactly frank Sein Steele, but I think I'm getting him mixed up with the other green creature, the other green creature from like Avengers, the Hulk.
Speaker 1: How are you getting because like the.
Speaker 3: Hulk is like kind kind of right, the Hulk he ends up isn't kind at all? Is he like he's just a monster.
Speaker 1: No, Frankenstein is more kind the whole Okay, the Hulk is not fucking kind.
Speaker 3: So I'm getting them mixed up and ship Okay, I'm thinking, I guess of the Hulk before he's green just as a person.
Speaker 1: Bruce Banner. How do you get Bruce Banner, the Hulk and Frankenstein all mixed up in one pot?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is just anyways Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: Frankenstein was supposed to be Frankenstein's monster. Doctor Frankenstein creates the monster, and his monster was supposed to be this monster, but he was this kind gentleman.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, shit, because it's actually been quite a while since I've watched like any Frankenstein thing, gotcha? So okay, so that would be that would make sense? Then? Yes, yes, wow, you just asking one simple question on the most wickening grim roller coaster that I think we've had yet pretty much.
Speaker 1: Unless you watch drunk Wickeding Groom because that's all that.
Speaker 3: Is totally Yeah, that's like a little glimpse and both of us are completely like, oh I had a small glass of wine.
Speaker 1: I've had a sip of iced tea that has no booze in it whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Okay, so back to this freaking story. So Mary started writing the story when she was just eighteen years old, Like that's young, Like, no, kid, not the kind of shit that I was doing when I was eighteen. I wasn't writing this Frankenstein like amazing thing that was about to come to be, not at all. I can't remember what I was doing at eighteen. You were dating me, Yeah, I think we probably would have been graduated in Heis. I think I would have been in college. Yeah, but yeah. So with the first edition being published anonymously, apparently in London on January first, eighteen eighteen, when she was just twenty, her name would appear on the second edition, which was published in Paris in eighteen twenty one. She needs her name on that ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder why she went anonymous at first.
Speaker 3: I know, I didn't even look into that. I just threw it in there, but I didn't look into why, Like why would you you know. So it's argued that Frankenstein should be considered the first true science fiction story. So like, woop woop, marys like amazing, that's a big deal. Yeah, Like I think this whole thing like so far. I'm just like she's freakind of amazing. So in eighteen sixteen, Mary would Mary would marry Holy Facts. Like reading that out, I'm like, that doesn't make sense, but it does make sense. So she would marry Percy Shelley. I think it's Shelley. I should mention her maiden name was Mary Godwin and I never I should should have put that at the beginning. So Percy was a romantic poet, so he was also a writer.
Speaker 1: Good combo for the two of them not to get together, I know, because.
Speaker 3: I just like imagine like him, Percy being on like the bachelor bachelorette and that being his occupation, Like boom, you'd get snatched up instantly, No kidding, that's freaking desirable. I feel like, apparently need to start writing me poems and shit, what.
Speaker 1: I've already got you? No need to breast now?
Speaker 3: Wow wow wow love you Yeah, I love you too. In July eighteen twenty two, Percy took his new boat on a journey, a journey that would not see his return.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, duh.
Speaker 3: As they were on route home, his boat was caught in a horrific storm, and unfortunately Percy and his two companions on the boat drowned in that storm.
Speaker 1: Oh dang, Like, holy frae.
Speaker 3: I feel like they'd just be like terrifying. That's like the movie A Perfect Storm or whatever.
Speaker 1: So Percy drowned in the boat.
Speaker 3: Well, he like he drowned. He wasn't in the boat, I don't think, but like his boat capsized and they drowned.
Speaker 1: Okay, they drowned, gotcha, which.
Speaker 3: I just think would be one of the worst ways to die. Yet, Well, what, I'm also terrified of the ocean. I didn't say I'm not terrified I would go on the ocean. There's just I don't know, that just seems so scary.
Speaker 1: There's some scary shit down there, being in.
Speaker 3: A boat on the ocean, just like being Yeah, I think we've talked about how we just don't want to go on a cruise ship and that's why. So their bodies were not found until ten days later.
Speaker 1: But they were found.
Speaker 3: Well, so they washed up on the shore. Yeah, okay, so they were basically unrecognizable. You can imagine what the sea would do to three decept.
Speaker 1: Well, I think water actually speeds up the decomp processed by like three times or something like that. So seriously, yeah, so imagine like thirty days of a body on dry land is essentially equivalent to ten days.
Speaker 3: And I wonder why that would be. Oh I wonder if it would be the same in salt as fresh Oh sorry, now, okay, you gave me a good tidbit. Now I want to know more, and you don't.
Speaker 1: Know the more, I don't know more. I was just a little fact that And I don't know for sure if it's three times, but I know it's something along those lines.
Speaker 3: Well it kind of like makes sense, like they get like so bloated and just like pruney.
Speaker 1: Water and falling apart sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a real good visual here, delicious. So basically not pretty. Percy was identified by the clothing that he was wearing. That's basically how they went to bout identifying. Oh wow, I'm like that's interesting. Hopefully he was wearing nice clothes. His body was cremated on the beach, was washed ashore on and oh, I forgot to do the pronounce dot ca a or whatever dot com for this, and it was near Oh, I don't even know. Vague, No, I was gonna that sounds like viagram be Oh, I don't even know. How would you pronounce that? It's a city in Tuscany, Italy. So it's an Italian name, via Reggio, Via Reggio, via Tuscany, Italy.
Speaker 1: It's basically should have just said some some in Italy or something on a beach in Italy. There we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now it is super interesting is when the fire was out and the smoke had cleared, nothing remained but bones ash and apparently Piercy's heart.
Speaker 1: His heart, his heart, his heart didn't the heart was preserved.
Speaker 3: So this is fot this is wild. Percy had suffered from tuberkials. Yeah, oh my god, tubercule. Now I can't even say that I'm tuberculosis and it is they Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Have another drink.
Speaker 3: I don't even have a drink. I bet you'd probably pronounced it better if I was. Probably so, And it's they theorized that the disease has had calciufied the.
Speaker 1: Organ calcified his heart.
Speaker 3: Really, that's just the ship that I found out right. So his remains were gathered up, including his heart, and put in a box. Okay, So, and this is like it's rumor, has it right? Like I mean like it's a legend kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but let's just play with the idea for a second here. How the fuck would a calcified heart still be beating?
Speaker 3: It wasn't? Oh, okay, I went in the file, ben, that's where it went.
Speaker 1: When he was alive with a calcified heart in his chest, how would he still be alive?
Speaker 3: He was only like twenty eight or twenty nine or whatever when he died, so he was like young. I just don't so if that's the case, that you would kind of even imagine how long would he have lived?
Speaker 1: You know, maybe part of his heart was calcified and that part was still there.
Speaker 3: Because there was like other reports and stuff that said it was still like charred. So like, I don't think it was like this pretty preserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Like it was still had some damage to it.
Speaker 1: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 3: Okay. So his his remains were gathered. Now, Mary, being a woman, apparently wasn't allowed to have been at this funeral. And I'm not going to go into that. I just that's just what it said, which I thought was really weird.
Speaker 1: Old timey weird stuff.
Speaker 3: I know, far we've come, eh, not far enough, Nope, but ridiculously enough. She was also not immediately given Percy's remains, but had to convince the holder, who was I think a friend of Percy's, to be given his remains.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, good lord, well at least they were handed over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did reluctantly give them over to Mary.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: And rumor has it that the day she died, that up until the day she died, she kept his heart with her.
Speaker 1: Oh dang.
Speaker 3: And I mean okay, like, in all fairness, like, are you gonna throw that chit in the garbage? Probably not right?
Speaker 1: Get no, yeah, well, I mean bury it with his remains maybe.
Speaker 3: Touche touche. So what she would do, however, was wrap it in a silk bag and carry it around with her like on our day to day day to day. Wow, And that parts of it messed up. I can't really defend that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's odd.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. I feel like maybe it's an epic love story of sorts, the new Romeo and Juliet. Perhaps you never know.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know when was Romeo and Juliet written.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. Don't want me to google it.
Speaker 1: Probably before this, I would assume.
Speaker 3: Do you think I'm googling this? Should we know? I actually haven't watched that show forever?
Speaker 1: That show I like, can you specifically go right right to the movie, not the book or the play or anything, just oh, the movie.
Speaker 3: I don't at this date Premiere fifteen ninety seven. I don't know if that's legit. Is it? Probably I was thinking of another way, way, way earlier, way earlier. Okay, I don't know. I feel like in my heart it's kind of like an epic love thing. But I don't know if people are going there, but I went there.
Speaker 1: So I would, I would say, I would.
Speaker 3: I feel like she loved him? Yeah, you know, clearly she thought he was an asshole. She probably wouldn't thrown in the garbage.
Speaker 1: Probably so.
Speaker 3: In February first, eighteen fifty one, Mary herself would pass away from a suspected brain tumor, the heart not being with her at the time of her death, So there you go. At some point she must have stopped carrying it around with her. It wasn't until a year later, when Mary and Percy's son started cleaning out her belongings that Percy's heart was found again. It was found in Mary's writing desk drawer, alongside with hair clippings from their lost children and notebooks they had shared. Wrapped in a page of his last written poem was the remains of Percy's charred heart.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, wrapped in the remains of his last written poem, holy.
Speaker 3: Page of his last room poems. His last written poem was actually really long. I was going to read it on here and I have I have a passage or whatever to read, but it's really long. So I just picked the short.
Speaker 1: Passage fair enough.
Speaker 3: So that last poem that he'd written, Oh the sentence doesn't make sense, that poll on you.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: So the poem that he had written it was about the death of John Keats, who was also a romantic poet, who died from tuberculosis. So I just thought that.
Speaker 1: Was just interesting that a little parallel there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like his last poem or whatever, A page of it wrapped his heart and it was about death kind of, and it was someone that had died from something that preserved his heart apparently, you know, I don't know. I just thought that was interesting. So yeah, that's basically the story of Mary Shelley in her dead husband's heart. And I wanted to finish off the episode with a passage from his last written poem, being that there were writers, and being that his everlasting heart was surrounded by these words. I don't know if this is what page of the poem was surrounding his heart. I couldn't find that out, but I just picked kind of a passage or whatever that I liked the best.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hear it.
Speaker 3: So the poem and I didn't look to see here. We're gonna pause for one second. So the poem was titled Adonis, this is passage ten, and there was like fifty five should that be what do you call it? Passage paragraphs? I don't know. Yeah, So it was like hell along because at first I was like, I'm gonna read this shit, but I was like, no, no one wants to sit here for that would take me probably an hour, okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, me JACKO should read it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and oh, people would listen to that probably okay, you ready, Yes.
Speaker 1: I am, okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 3: And one with trembling hands clasped his cold head and fans him with her moonlight wings and cries, our love, our hope, our sorrow is not dead. See on the silken fringe of his faint eyes, like do upon a sleeping flower, there lies a tearsome dream has loosened from his brain, lost and of a ruined paradise she knew not was her own, as with no stain, she faded like a cloud which had outwept its rain. Wow, Like I was like, he's really good at writing. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: That is wow. So yeah, so this was like the tragic love story basically between these two and how she carried his heart around and it she just so fucking happened to be the creator of Frankenstein as well, I know, which is also this tragic love story because these two monsters are brought to this world and it's wow.
Speaker 3: I know, I just like, this is like an amazing story, and I do have to feel I feel like Percy, Like I feel like it's very evident how much Mary loved Percy. But I know like Percy had cheated on her and I didn't even throw that in there. So it's like, I don't know. I mean, then maybe that was more accepted. I don't. I have no idea. I feel really lucky saying that. But it's like she I think because there was even one article I read that she had the opportunity I think to cheat on him and like he even like was all right with it or something, and she didn't because she just couldn't to him. Wow, So I think I feel like she really loved him.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of it's I don't know, it's just a sweet, interesting story. And like the fact that she was the creator of Frankenstein, I think is like dope as shit and it's.
Speaker 1: Got that little like morbid macabre touched to it with the heart. I wonder where his heart is today, if it's like, oh, I should get if anyone even knows where it.
Speaker 3: Is, Yeah, maybe they bury they could have buried it with him.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I'm going to assume they don't know where his heart is, because if they do, they would probably be able to confirm like if his heart was calcified or what.
Speaker 3: Right you know, if this is actually legit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's a cooler but legend though, I know if it's true or how much of it is true anyways, because clearly some of it's true.
Speaker 3: Oh clearly, yeah. I mean the fact that they existed and that she wrote Frankenstein and stuff is true.
Speaker 1: So bring that story to us. That was epic.
Speaker 3: I know. I'm curious to know if like how many Yeah, Okay, when I put the post on Instagram, you're gonna have to come and let us know if like people have heard of this, because I'm curious to know because I thought that I was like a true crime junkie kind of person, but like I'm not at all from like just our listeners and stuff. I'm like, holy, I was like not at all. So I'm just really intrigued to know if this is something that people have heard and know of the story, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Let us know. So let us know, and you can do so on any of our socials. All of those are in the description of this podcast.
Speaker 3: And I have a request from jack O. Oh I think Jacko should be the one that closes the soap, and I think he should know what to do.
Speaker 2: Day you wicked
Speaker 1: H