Speaker 1: Broadcasting from sunny and dry West Michigan and Studio A here at proven winners Color Choice Shrubs. It's time for the Gardening Simplified Show with Stacy, Hervella me Rick weisst and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Well, we're going to have a field day today. We're going to talk about meadows and I'll start it off with a quote and on the whole enormous prairie, there was no sign that any other human being had ever been there, Laura Ingalls Wilder little house on the prairie. But you know, there's a lot of interest in meadow gardening right now. There's no single definition of a meadow garden. A meadow is about seasonal highlights, and we're seeing a trend toward the modern medal to enjoy unbridled nature right there on your own landscape, your own yard. Also known as a stylized metal they're designed to be a more manageable scale of a metal and we get the nature, the movement, the color, maybe even minimalism, and of course pollinators, all the great things that come along with a metal landscape. For me, Stacy, I'm most excited about the fact that most metal landscapes have lots and lots of grasses.
Speaker 2: I think grasses probably are one of the things that people most associate with meadows, but I think that the romance and the reason that people really want to grow or have their own meadow is the flowers. And I think a lot of this was really kind of popularized by someone we've spoken about quite a bit over the past couple weeks in our series on American gardens, and that's Pete Dudolph. Absolutely, you know, Pete's planting style is very metal like, and it really contrasts He was not the first to do this, right. This can go back to Omi and Ven Sweden in the nineteen nineties who were kind of doing these mass perennial plantings with a lot of ornamental grasses, and those were kind of starting to evolve to the metal look. But this really contrasts with kind of like the classic English border where everything is bun and toughet and kind of relegated to its own little neat spot and everything just takes up its own space, whereas the meadow and this new modern, you know, kind of perennial, new perennialist planting is a lot of things mixed together, as Udolph calls it, the matrix. So it's really shifting from where everything is tidy and contained to a sort of exuberant celebration of where everything looks naturalistic even though and it's all interwoven and inter knitted, and you know, just makes this beautiful whole and it looks very natural and not man made. But it is actually deceptive. It is the I read about this in preparation for the show today. It is the paradox of effort. It actually takes a lot of effort to make something look that effortless exactly.
Speaker 1: And I'm so glad you brought that up, because it requires planning.
Speaker 2: It sure does.
Speaker 1: It requires planning. Modern metal gardening is the new frontier for many. The frontier is the front lawn, converting it over from a traditional lawn, and it may requires some neighbor negotiations or at least to make the neighbors say, well, say, hey, I'm going to give you a heads up here, we're going metal here. But it requires planning. It's not about going to some store and finding a can of metal mixed wildflowers and just chucking that out there.
Speaker 2: Oh, for the love of all that is holy in the garden. Do not do that. You know, we will definitely get to talking about seeds versus plants and all of that in a meadow. But the simple fact is that at your average garden center, garden store, feedstore, or whatever, a lot of those mixes that they are selling as metal mixes are full of horrible plants that will that are not native and will become very invasive and problematic. So or annuals or yeah, annuals, and they won't do anything for you year after year. So it is a place where you neverinitely need to do your research. And I think that really I would never want to be discouraging from anyone who wants to plant a meadow, but you do have to be realistic. As simple as it looks, it's not that way in reality.
Speaker 1: And that's because natural meatals have evolved over many years. They've adapted to environmental conditions, intricate associations of plants and nature. So you have to have a plan. Nature's plan will win out dominance, so you kind of go for go with the flow, and yet you have to make sure that you have a plan going in. I guess the lawn and sho of it is metal gardening is still gardening.
Speaker 2: It is very much still guardening. It's actually it's landscaping even you know, it's not simply gardening. It takes a lot of prep work and it takes a lot of patients to get there. And you know, we were talking about the Lury garden, and you know, you can see the pictures of the lury garden evolve from when it was planted until now, and that is a long process. And you know, I think one of the most important parts about well, about gardening in general, but especially about meadow gardening or native plant gardening in general. Uh, you are forced to be an editor, and if you are an editor, you need to know what you're looking to edit out. Yeah, and that it's a really important part of that because you have to control a lot of more aggressive plants that are going to naturally come into your meadow and make sure that they don't overtake it because that delicate you're trying to kind of maintain this delicate, esthetically driven balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question about that. Plan on plants in mass so to speak, drifts of plants, that's where the simplicity comes in. But that planning is super important because you want to design where it still feels loose and natural, but a lot of thought has gone into it. And you're so right about that also, Stacy, if it involves some invasive plants in short order, they're going to take over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they'll come in anyway. That's why they're invasive plants. So yeah, I mean it's a lot of work. And you know, if we take a garden like the high Line or the Urry Garden to gardens that I think of Pete Udolph's that really are responsible for all of this interest in meadows, go ahead and go on to their websites and look at how many gardeners they have. It is not just a set it and forget it type of thing. Again, not trying to be discouraging, but it is always rather amazing that not only when we see those gardens that they look natural and effortless, but that when we're driving through country roads at this time of year and through the next, you know, all through August and September, when meadows are just at peak because beautiful celadego's blooming and the job hiweed and everything, and you just look at, oh, look at what an amazing job mother nature is doing. I could do that at home and just kind of let mother nature take over, And no, it doesn't work that way. Meadows are relatively low maintenance, lower maintenance than a lawn, but you also have to know what you're doing correct alon You don't need to really know what you're doing to maintain too much anyway.
Speaker 1: So the key aspect here is you don't need little house on the prairie. A modern meadow for your yard could be one hundred to two thousand square feet somewhere in that area where you've got a good manageable size to start. Because remember, one of the first competitors is you try to establish this garden is going to be the weeds, and if you don't take the right approach, the weeds can choke out the desirable plants. I recommend, by the way, and it's what I did in my front yard when all the lawn went out, a lot of grasses went in, but I used plugs. If you can get your hands on some plugs, that's a great way to start. A number of the panicoms, for example, or the loriope, or some of the plants that I put in were plugs, and it made it easy, but you have to prepare first and take care of some of the weeds. And that's why the timing of the show is great. Also because, in my opinion, August is a time to kill vegetation. September is a time to establish vegetation. And solarization is an option if you're looking to kill weed, seed and weeds so that when you start to put these plugs into the ground or establish these wildflowers or plants, they have a competitive edge against the weeds which are going to try to choke them out right.
Speaker 2: And you know it's not just weeds, it was your formerly desirable plants. Yes, because the lawn is one of the biggest, you know, things that you're going to have to fight against. To try to get a meadow established, you're going to need to completely kill that grass back. The general recommendation is to mow that down, completely scalp it. So do what you're not supposed to do to a regular lawn low as possible, mowing, scalp that thing down, get it stressed, get that sun beaten down on those crowns. Everything. We recommend anyone who doesn't want a nice looking land to do. And then some people will Yeah, even put plastic over that to try to make sure that all of that dies. So you do need a clean slate, but nature abhors a vacuum. So once you have that clean slate, whether you're starting with plugs or you're starting with seeds, and both are very viable ways. I do want to say, unless you have boatloads a dough, this is not starting a meadow is not the kind of project that you usually go.
Speaker 1: To your garden center for.
Speaker 2: We're all for shopping at your local garden center, but you will go broke trying to plant up a meadow out of one plus gallon perennials. You're going to be starting with seeds from a reputable native plant seed supplying meadow supplier that you know is creating custom mixes specifically for your conditions, or like you said, plugs.
Speaker 1: Plugs are a good way to go. And you're going to want to incorporate grasses. So the grass we're talking about killing is the traditional lawn type tough grass. Yes, the ornamental grasses that we're going to be using, or grasses within this metal are going to be similar to what pete odolph uses, blue stem or panicoms are great. He uses carl forrester. The calamagrossis type grasses.
Speaker 2: Probolis is another favorite of theirs, and I don't think I don't know that he uses nasilla anymore in the US. Are also known as stippa because that has become quite invasive. But it's just got such a beautiful soft texture, so that might be a no no in some places. But yeah, it's not as simple as just saying, oh, well, I happen to really like miscanthus. Misscanthus doesn't usually have a place in a metow garden because it's so structural correct correct, and so like imposing kind of in the landscape.
Speaker 1: But using those types of grasses is going to be very important. Why grasses They provide support and protection for tall flowers. They fill in spaces around wildflowers that otherwise would be occupied by weeds. They add color and texture to the landscape. They add movement to the landscape. They add winter interest to the landscape. They prevent soil erosion. They provide food and cover for wildlife. Can you tell I love grasses? Yes, And a meadow garden in many cases is going to involve maybe fifty percent of grasses. But of course that's an arguable point. So here we go. Grasses are part of a meadow, Limerick Today. A meadow is natural and logical. Establishment is economical. The logic is sound with benefits year round that are simply astronomical.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, thank you.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Can't believe it's the first time you've maaded.
Speaker 1: Actually, I have some ground that is fallow, so I think I'll start a modern meadow, a simple connection to nature without all the nomenclature to view while I sip on a merlow see where I'm going. Get my drift swaths sizable, not short shrift and lots of grasses. They're not dull to me. The grass is half full. Sorry, Their wind driven sway is a lift. I'm looking forward to this topic. Let's dive in see what Stacy has in mind and plants on trial. That's next here on the Gardening Simplified.
Speaker 2: Show, beautify your home and community with proven winner's color choice shrubs with over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrub or evergreen for every taste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden Center or learn more at Proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greeting's gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. We are talking all about meadows, and the reason that we waited all season long to do the menows show here in late July early August is because now it's the perfect time to start planning for a meadow. We didn't want to do this in spring and say, hey, hey, you got to wait till fall to work on your meadows. We wanted to do it closer to when you would actually be doing that work. So if it's been rolling around in your head and you've been looking for a sign, here it is. We'll get to a lot more about installing meadows and all of that later in the show, but for now, since it's been a while since we've done a Plants on Trial because we were devoting the last several weeks to our American Gardens series, let me just remind you that Plants on Trial is where we talk about one of the three hundred and fifty plus actually it's four hundred plus now Proven Winner's Color Choice shrubs or trees and kind of tell you why you might want to plant it. In the garden. Sure, and very often you know the theme, it's kind of more thematic, right, Like I'll give a bunch of different plants that kind of fit the theme of the show. Sometimes I'll just focus on one, and sometimes, you know, I have to really kind of dig deep into the brain to find a connection. And it's it's quite difficult with meadows because shrubs and meadows are mortal enemies, not really in a way that like they hate each other or they're bad for each other or anything like that, but the presence of shrubs in a meadow. And now we're talking about nature. We're not talking about gardening. We're talking about meadows in nature. Because all of this inspiration for that beautiful meadow, even for Pete Udolph and other designers who work in that style, did come from nature originally. They are trying to kind of replicate that and and tweak it so that it is more esthetically pleasing for humans. But meadows are a stage in ecological succession. And basically ecological succession, if you aren't familiar with this concept, is that within any given patch of earth whatever, like basically everything is kind of in an ever evolving state and basically what happens with meadows is that they are kind of the next step in old farmland. Very often that we do have natural meadows, of course in the prairies, are beautiful prairies in central North America are you know, a natural occurring kind of meadow. But very often the meadows that we see it here in West Michigan especially are evolving farmland. So when a shrub starts to suddenly appear in a meadow, it's actually a sign that that meadow is now transitioning into becoming a woodland instead of a primarily herbaceous plant meadow, because meadows are driven by herbaceous plants, plants that die back to their roots every year and don't have any kind of wood or anything like that standing.
Speaker 1: And that's a great point, Stacy, And so it makes a good point as we develop our modern meadows for our lawns, we're not necessarily looking for height. No, just like the planes, we're looking for that vista.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. So you know how, So what I wanted to kind of talk about, instead of really just getting into a single plant, was talking about sort of the role that shrubs play in succession, including with meadows. Now as I was looking into this topic so that I could give you all correct information. I found something quite fascinating. So this phenomenon of ecological succession was first described by University of Chicago professor Henry Chandler Cowells in the eighteen nineties. So he was teaching ecology or whatever ecology was called, probably natural resources or something back then. And Chicago, of course is on Lake Michigan and very close to Indiana Dunes, which is a Indiana State Park as well as a National Lake Shore, I think is what it is. And as he was walking around Indiana Dunes, and as you can imagine, it was much different in the eighteen nineties than it is today, he was noticing that the dunes were full of old tree stumps, that it was itself a landscape sort of in flux, transitioning from something that had used to have been forests and was now starting to transition into something else. So all of this, you know, kind of foundational work in ecological succession was done right here on our own much loved and beautiful Lake Michigan. So how cool is that?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Right, So basically you can still see this if you are you know, really I think probably. I can't speak for Wisconsin. I haven't explored the Wisconsin like Michigan shorelines too much, but I suspect it's the same. But certainly Indiana and all over here in West Michigan, where we are in the middle of the largest freshwater dune system in the world, you can actually see succession in action. And I'm just thinking of a park that I go to frequently, Rosy Mound Park here in grant Haven. Beautiful, beautiful place and what you will see and when you are there, you kind of have to do it in reverse because you're coming from land and then going towards the lake. But how this actually works is, you know, bought closer to the lake, you have very sandy dune like areas, and you get just a little bit of distance away and you get the beach grass and we've talked about beach grass lots and lots, and then that's kind of like the fore dune. And then once you get over the beach grass, you have another level of succession. And then you know, especially Rose Mound is a great example because you're kind of going up that dune and you see junipers and all of this other stuff, and then you get into a pine and beach forest, and if you were able to go further in lind you'd start getting into an oak forest. And that is kind of the different levels of succession. And here in West Michigan the kind of pioneer species, and that's what these woody plants that really show up and start to fundamentally transform these environments are called as pioneer species. The main pioneer species for the lake shore juniper.
Speaker 1: I believe it.
Speaker 2: I run across literally hopefully not literally run across them. So let's just think about this for a minute. So junipers are a plant that is easily spread by berries they have, well, I mean they're not technically berries, because junipers are not technically flowering plants, so we'll just call them berries for the sake of the argument. So birds eat them, and you know, they fly over to the lake. The seeds end up landing in this area, and the juniper seed can germinate in very difficult conditions, so it can be in those open sandy areas, it can take the shifting winds and everything that may bury it or unbury it and be able to withstand all of that. And then once that juniper seedling starts to grow, it starts to fundamentally change the area around it. It's all of a sudden, providing shade where there was absolutely none before because there were no woody plants, there were no trees. Sure, So now this little juniper is providing some shade, and that is going to allow new seeds that blow in on the wind or come in on animals to potentially grow because that is a different environment. This woody plant, because it is persistent all year round, is going to catch leaves and other things like that and start to develop organic matter around that which will still allow other plants to grow. And that shade will also allow these other seeds to grow. And I think we have all experienced this, or almost all of us have experienced this, had a juniper in our landscape or a family member a friend's landscape, and those weeds start growing up through it the worst. Yeah, we're all in agreement here. I know you can't see an you're on his face, but she is enthusiastically nodding. She knows the feeling. So juniper is almost a nurse species. It changes the environment so much, and that is then when you're able to get all of these other things that start growing, and the juniper itself provides structure for birds to sit in and you know, have even spread around even more seeds. It provides a place for you know, squirrels and chipmunks to hide from snakes and hawks and all of this other stuff. So they are so that is kind of the the pioneer species for us here on the lake shore. But I think when we think about sort of the typical meadow more inland or what we're seeing is with farmland in transition, the pioneer species tend to be very tough native shrubs that sucker. So the number one culprits that we're seeing transition meadows into woodlands in those areas are going to be things like red twig dogwood also spread by berries, Erronia also spread by berries, and highly suckering sumac. Wow, what do you know, spread by beer? Yes, definitely, And I love seemac. I mean it's a beautiful plant. And willow now willow is spread by seed. But what you'll also notice about all of these plants is they are very very durable. They can take pretty much any kind of soil, they can take any kind of sun, pretty much all of these have you know, some shade tolerance as well as sun tolerance, and again they have this suckering habits. So not only is that little seedling going to start growing, but those plants are going to put out runners and start to kind of grow and establish and then be actually quite competitive against a lot of these herbaceous plants that would otherwise be spreading. So in a meadow, these types of shrubs are a bad thing because it basically means that your meadow will eventually in time, and we're talking about a scale of you know, I think the general ecological scale of succession is considered to be about one hundred and fifty years, So this is not like happening overnight. You know. Obviously it depends on a number of different factors. And I am speaking specifically about North American species here, because in other countries, like especially Australia, things are totally totally different. But what we can do as gardeners, and we're not trying to grow meadows, is to kind of look at those traits, those durabilities that those plants have and use them to our advantage in the landscape and say, hey, these are pioneer species. These can tough it out against plants that I may not want or plants that I don't want to manage, and really use those to transform areas into low maintenance landscapes. So things like arctic fire red in, Arctic fire yellow red twig dogwoods, those are two great choices. Sun tolerant, shade tolerant, drought tolerant, wet tolerant, just durable, durable plants. The same thing can be said about all of our erroneas lowscape, mound, lowscape, snowfire ground, hug and berry scape. And if you are on the lake shore and you want to get a piece of that pioneer juniper, you can try out Montana moss in tortuga because again their position as pioneer species means that they are very durable. And while that's a bad thing for meadows, it can be a very good thing for us as gardeners. We're going to take a little break. When we come back. We are opening up the mailbag, dusting it off, opening it up, and we hope you'll stay tuned at proven Winner's color choice shrubs. We know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs and evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style, look for Proven Winner's Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center or learn more at Proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Cur Eating's gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where it is our pleasure to help you with your garden questions, quandaries and conundrums. And boy, they are coming in hot and heavy these days because well it's height range of season, and you know, that's always a cause for lots of people to write us about what's happening with this, and what's happening with that? And why isn't it blooming? Why is it blooming like this?
Speaker 1: And just like the mailman, whether it's rain, sleet, snow, drought, whatever it may be, we're here to deliver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: At least we'll try.
Speaker 2: We'll try, and we do have lots of articles and so forth on our website, Proven Winners Color Choice dot Com to kind of help you through all of those. If you have a question and you want to reach out to us Gardening Simplified on air dot com, there's a contact form you can even attach photos, but we can't get to all your questions there, so please don't hesitate to also use the feedback form on proven Winners dot com, where you will also hear from not a robot, but from a real horticulturist who cares about your success. Uh. And we do get back to those, although I have to say the volume has been a little bit crushing lately because you know, there's just a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Operators are standing by.
Speaker 2: Well standing by. It's more like when you call a credit card company and they're like, you are one hundred and forty fifth in line. Would you like us to call you back at a more convenient time? But we're doing our best.
Speaker 1: This call may be recorded for quality or sure.
Speaker 2: I think you've got a bright future. That was That was very pleasant. It didn't sell like a robot, you know, like most of them do at all. But of course we also care very much about your celebrations in the garden, and so you know, I try not to toot our own horn too much here at Proven Winter's Color Choice Shrubs. We are here to share our experience and our expertise and help you become the best gardener that you can be, and that is our main goal, whether you ever buy a Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs or not. But I did have to share this message from listener Kyle, and he writes last fault, I asked about winter protection for big leaf hydrangeas and you provided some great advice. I just want to share how amazing my Let's Dance Skyview hydrangea is performing at the end of June here in Minnesota, USDA Zone four B. Now those words would never probably have been heard in a sentence correct previous to this. How well, how amazing big leaf hydrangea performing June Minnesota like unheard of not.
Speaker 1: Only the zone. But it was a rough winter.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we all have terrible winter throughout the country, and that is the kind of winter that definitely would have killed back other big leaf hydrangees, and in fact it did kill back Let's Dance Skyview. You experience die back in your plants, We experience die back in our plants here in our West Michigan Trowl Gardens and Adriana and I will have a video out about that very soon. And yet despite all of that, Let's Dance Skyview Hydrangea is blooming everywhere. Yes, And that was really our goal with this plant is to kind of make it as fail proof as possible. Now, there's a lot of human error that goes into big leaf hydrangeas that make them not bloom. People cut them back, or landscape or cuts them back or whatever. But really weather has traditionally been some of the biggest obstacles to getting good flowers on hydrangea. And what makes Let's Stance Skyview so different than any other big leaf hydrangea on the market with possible exception of Letstance can do which also has this characteristic it sets flower buds even at the base of the plant.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Before they only conventional varieties only set their flower buds way up here at the tips, so if it got browsed by deer or it got kicked, you know, taken back by weather or whatever, it was gone like there were no old wood flower buds at all. So because Let's stan Skyview sets them low down on the ground, they can actually survive all of those challenges. And what you can see here in the photos that Kyle sent, is that there's a lot of flowers that are fully open, bright pink. It is a plant that can be pink or blue depending on your soil chemistry. And those flowers that are completely open, those are the old wood blooms. And you can also see flowers that are just starting to appear, and those are the new wood blooms. So conventional big leaf hydrangeas they needed to get to a certain level of maturity on each stem in order to put a new wood bloom out. And for a lot of people, especially for those of us in cold climates, that didn't even happen until like September, so we wouldn't even get the new wood blooms. So it's really just a testament to the the you know, observation and testing and refinement that has gone into this plant. Kyle continues to say, this plant was covered with just a small pile of wood mulch. This past winter. We spent a good amount of time with temperatures well below negative twenty degrees fahrenheit. Attached is a picture of inspiration for all the other cold weather gardeners.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Thank you Kyle and yes, mine are beautiful in my landscape too, and I still contend last year, and that's pretty impressive. Zone four B way to go, But I still contend last year. It was that fluctuation between cold and warm up, cold and warm up. It went on for six or seven months, and I had a number of plants that suffered. But yes, the Let's Dance skyview in my landscape gorgeous right now.
Speaker 2: So it is not just hype that we say here, because this is for Winterward's Color Choice shops. We are thrilled to hear that you are having as much success with this plant as we have to. So thank you so much, Kyle.
Speaker 1: What else we got, Teresa? It writes to us, Hello, I garden in five B, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and most of the cone flower buds on the plant have no petals. I'm not sure if this is mites or astor yellows virus, and wondering whether I discard the entire plant or cut the blooms and attempt to treat the plant next year in spring. Looking forward to your response and Stacy. The first thing I thought about was astor yellows and if it is astor yellows, then maybe their toasts.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that was one of the reasons why I felt like Teresa's question was so good to answer right now. Because astro yellows is a disease. It is called by what is known as a phytoplasma or a phytoplasma like organism, which is just this weird organism. It's not a bacteria.
Speaker 1: What affected Bill Murray in the movie Ghostbusters he gets covered in it.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was ectoplasma. Oh, ectoplasm. This is phytoplasma. So it's not a bacteria, it's not a fungus, it's it's not a you know, nobody really can can. I mean, there are scientists, of course you can describe what it is, but it's just this weird kind of organism. It is spread through piercing and sucking insects like mites and aphids and all of that kind of thing. And it so yellowing is potentially one of the you know, symptoms that you have astra yellows, but it causes all sorts of weird contorted growth. Things just look very off. And if you have ast yellows and it so it affects a number of plants in the astor acy or the daisy family. It also affects other plants as well, and that are outside of that family. Very often these diseases are quite confined to within a botanical family, a scientific plant family. But in this case, there's all sorts of things that can get astra yellows, even though it's still called astra yellows. And yes, if you have a plant that has astra yellows, the very best thing that you can do is to take it out. And believe me, I know that is easier said than done, because it's painful to take out a plant, but all that's that they cannot recover from it, and all that's going to happen is you have this kind of capital of astra yellows for all of those piercing and sucking insects to come suck up the astra yellow sap from those plants and transmit it to other plants. So you kind of have to take one for the team and get those out of there if you can. But I will say that in Teresa's case, this is not est yellows because as you can see, the flowers look perfectly healthy. If this was ast yellows, they would be contorted and.
Speaker 1: Look looking like almost paranormal.
Speaker 2: Yes, paranormal is who.
Speaker 1: You're gonna call Stacey Hervella at proven Winter's Color Choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I can give them the bad news and you can just get to go over here having a grand old time, and I have to be the bad guy, good cop, bad cup. So yeah, it's hard. So I think that what you do most likely have is the cone mites, which is good news that you don't have astriellos, because astriyellows can also cause a lack of petals. All these plants and the cone mites are not really that bad. I would just and again, your plant looks really lovely, so I know this is a little bit of a heartbreak, but I would go ahead and cut those off and just discard them right now and just hope for better next year, because that way, you know, the mites aren't completing their life cycle since they're active in the cones right now. I would also say that what I have noticed is we have had a lot of really hot, dry weather after a very nice mild, rainy season where I didn't have to water for like a month. Boy, am I paying that bill right now? And I'm finding that with that hot weather that we've had that my petals are not lasting very long. Like I have a beautiful sunflower that just self sowed in the garden, loving it, and one day I'm like, oh wow, that is gorgeous. And the next day I'm watering and I'm like, where'd the petals go?
Speaker 1: Same thing. I've got them popping up all over the place.
Speaker 2: They're beautiful, yes, but just yeah, with the heat. Also, the petals are not lasting very long. I would also add one other thing, and that is if you have Japanese beetles, they love the petals. They may not cause a lot of damage to the rest of the plant like they would on like a rose or something like that, but Japanese beetles, cucumber beetles, there's all sorts of things that absolutely relish the opportunity to eat the petals of your asters and other things like that.
Speaker 1: And here in the mail bag, it's that time of the year. Walk through your veggie garden. I nailed a couple of them yesterday. Tomato horn worms.
Speaker 2: Oh you did.
Speaker 1: It's that season. A pepper plant just overnight crazy, So be looking for tomato hornworms.
Speaker 2: Too, Yeah, definitely. So there's it is high past season. So you know, I would say if you are a person with like a full time job, it's very easy for things to happen during the day when you're away at work, and then you get home and you're like, wait, I thought, why isn't my cone flower have any petals? And it was just a little cucumber beetle party that you were invited to, and now you don't have any petals. So lots of things happening. But the good news is you don't have astro yellows. If you're seeing weirdness on any of your asters or anything in the astorracy, any Daisy family plants or other plants, do look this up, know how to identify it, what to look for, and do try to bring yourself to remove those plants.
Speaker 1: We can get can though. I mean, you know, if you show up after work at home and the stay puff marshmallow man is there, well then you got a whole other thing going on.
Speaker 2: Just don't cross your beams. We're going to take a little break. When we come back, we are continuing our conversation on meadow gardening, so please t you tuned. Thanks for listening to the Gardening Simplified podcast. Brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven winnerscolor Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. So your meadow garden doesn't have to be a mess. If you use some rhythm and repetition in drifts, you can create that wild, natural look, but not necessarily have what some people would call a mess on your hands. Meadows are beautiful and a wildflower metal is a complex interactive plant community, not just a collection of individuals. And natural doesn't mean just native. Now. I know this might be a controversial thing to say, but again, when we go back to Adolph's gardens, Stacey, he uses a lot of aliums, and aliums are a genus that encompasses the entire northern hemisphere and beyond Europe and Asia.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there are a number of native alioms that work very well in meadow gardens. And you know, I think that Pete Udolph and other new naturalists would be the first to say, hey, I never claimed this is a native plant garden. I think that we very often project the nativeness into these gardens because they feel of the landscape, and so we kind of assume that they are all natives. So it is absolutely possible to have a naturalistic meadow that is perhaps some native plants and some non native plants, and as long as you don't have invasive plants that are going to cause problems for you or your neighbors or whatever, that's perfectly fine. But there are also lovely seed mixes that you can get of one hundred percent North American natives as long as you do your research and shop at the right places. So, yeah, don't just assume that it's going to be a native plant garden or that it must be, because there is a lot of room, you know, to do all of these different things. It's really just a question of your values and what you want out of your meadow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a host of plants that you can use. I mean, for me, I love seeing milkweed in a type of meadow setting. I have seen people who have created these meadow gardens and used solidago and it has gotten out a hand.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a plant that will definitely get in a hand depending on which species you have. Absolutely correct.
Speaker 1: So plant in drifts create repetition with similar colors and textures. It gives you some cohesion. Keep it simple, repeat plantings, create a color succession. Use plants that bloom at different times for continuous color throughout the season, because you know, again this is something that is a seasonal experience. And don't forget pathways. I think pathways are important as you design the garden. And also I like to get some plants that are along the pathway that are going to escape their bounds just a little bit, so as you walk this path the foliage brushes against your leg. It's just this romantic feel as you walk through a meadow garden. Maybe a rustic bench where you can sit and relax for a while, but try to establish that feeling of the open metal. And then again, plants that aren't too tall, because we're trying to create that.
Speaker 2: Feel, right, And I mean, what good is a meadow garden that you can only look at from the outer edges and not kind of be in the middle and have that amazing feeling of just being surrounded by plants. And so, you know, it is absolutely acceptable if you're starting with especially a seed mix. Very often those are intended to be mowed and you can just mow a path right through it. You can even mow different paths every year, you know, to do something different, but yeah, that you do want to make sure that you have a way to access it, not just to enjoy it, but also to maintain it. Because you know, meadows, most meadows, even though especially like an oodolf style or more naturalistic style, will include bulbs and that type of stuff that will be just fine in spring. You know, when there's nothing around to kind of shade it out, you are going to have to cut plants back and remove all of that, you know, brush and cut back perennial parts at some point, either in late fall or in early spring. My choice would be early spring, just so you have something to look at all season long. But of course it all depends on when you have the most work to do. Right, perfectly fine to do that in fall, after everything has gone dormant, if you prefer so. You need to get in there and do that. You need to get in there and manage weeds, especially for the first three years of trying to establish this garden, and you need to make sure that nothing undesirable starts to get established and outcompetes. The plants are paying good money for you.
Speaker 1: I can't emphasize that enough. That's why from the start and why August is such a great time, especially solarization, and that's what I did in my landscape, and then I went with plugs and smaller plants along with seed to start to develop. This look so super important. You got to give them a competitive edge against the wind and also drought or heat. So some soil preparation is necessary. Make sure to plan ahead for that and give them that competitive edge. And you know, great perspective there, Stacey, because in some cases these modern meadows, maybe we're using it in our front yard. Yes, you're going to have to mow or prune or trim maybe a couple of times a year, but that sure beats having to cut the grass twice a week with a conventional line.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I would much rather do that. Yes, and you know you are again going to have to spend those first couple of years really up on it and maintaining everything. And let's not forget water, because even though most meadows are going to be very drought tolerant once they are established, although you can certainly have a wet meadow or a medium moist meadow. And again, if you're looking to plant from seed, you can get just the right seed mix for your actual soil conditions. But many of them are teller once they're established. But just like any other seedling, they do want plenty of water while they are getting established, and you don't want to risk your investment in time or money by not providing the water that they need during that really crucial first two to three years of establishment.
Speaker 1: Now, as far as plants are concerned, as I mentioned in segment one, grasses are going to be the backbone, in my opinion, the foundation, whether it's switch grass or blue stem or feather reed grass. Many different types of grasses you can use for plant choices. You can visit a website we've talked often about Pete Odolph, and his website will give you the link. Because you go to that link and visit some of the gardens he's created, you'll see the various plants that you can use in your meadow garden. For example, a favorite of mine are the anemonies, the fall blooming anemonies, just beautiful plants and they really dance in the breeze along with the grasses. Of course, Agastaki is going to be very important. Robeccia's Achinacia's coreopsis. And you'll see that many of these meadow gardens also use Liatris.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love liatris. That's a plant. I wish it was a little more drought tolerant because I don't have a lot of success growing it in my very drowdy garden. And I do love it.
Speaker 1: Asters or Hellennium sneeze wheed another plant that likes wet, wet, more wet soil exact that I can't get established that I have tried many times, and I've given up. Globe thistle not better about it. Don't worry U. Petorium or joe pie weed. And by the way, there are cultivars of shorter joe pie weed available now. I think it's called little Joe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but who wants a short joe pie weed in their meadow? Give me the ten foot tall stuff?
Speaker 1: There you go? Would you put cup plant in? Yeah? Yeah, So I get my grasses, You get your company, all right. Veronica alpine sea holly sedum's panicoms as we mentioned Persecaria minardas within a landscape like this and even and We talked about it a few weeks ago when we talked about hibiscus, But what about hibiscus mustudos.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you have a wet meadow, for sure. Yeah, that would be quite at home in that kind of garden.
Speaker 1: In a native plant here in North America, Guerras yarrow, Galardia, lots and lots of plants to pick from, And like I said, a favorite for me has got to be milkweed in a meadow garden definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love goa and I do have it in my garden. But I'm thinking back to a time that I was visiting the San Antonio Botanical Garden and the entire entrance it was in spring. The entire entrance was planted as a meadow like all along kind of the road and medians, and it was all blue bonnets in ghara and it was one of the most beautiful combinations that you could possibly imagine. But yeah, I mean it's really important to when you're establishing a menu meadow to not pick plants that you like necessarily, but plants that can tolerate your conditions because kind of, you know, as much effort as it is to get that established established, Yeah, you need to make sure that it is going to be sustainable for your actual conditions in the long run, because the goal is really to get your meadow garden to a point where you are only really mowing it down maybe once a year in the spring or late winter, early spring or in the fall, if you prefer, and then kind of getting all of that cut stuff out of it, managing any woody plants that have popped up, so that you're kind of really doing like at one point, you know, ideally maybe one day of maintenance, but it is going to take a lot of time to get there, and you don't want to add extra work on yourself by having to ear gate it because you have a wet meadow but dry soil. And I'm saying this for myself because I personally prefer the look of wet meadows, but there is nothing in my yard that will ever be wet meadow.
Speaker 1: And Stacey, it'll be interesting when you put in your meadow garden how many neighbors will follow suit.
Speaker 2: Well, Hey, you know, I kind of was a trailblazer pioneer with my ear removing my lawn and that's the first step. And I always said when we removed our lawn. Two years ago, I said, if this doesn't work out, it becomes a meadow. So we're not there yet, but it's not gonna lie and say it doesn't appeal to me here and there.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. We'll have fun with your little house on the prairie. Thank you Stacy, thank you Rick, thank you Adriana, and thanks to you for watching us on YouTube, downloading our podcast, or for our radio show listeners. Have yourself a great week.