Speaker 1: Thousands of people have mysteriously vanished in America's wilderness. Join us as we dive into the deep end of the unexplainable world and try to piece together what happened. And you are listening to Locations Unknown.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, and welcome back to another episode of Locations Unknown.
Speaker 4: I'm your co host, Joe.
Speaker 2: You' roddling with me as always is a guy who never uses AI for anything at all, ever, Mike Vanderboguard.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Joe, and thank you to all of our amazing listeners for tuning in.
Speaker 4: My voice is back. Can we get a little round of applause?
Speaker 5: Oh, let's see, I'm finding it. Nope, nope, there you go.
Speaker 3: Oh so it feels good to be back. So that was a rough stretch there.
Speaker 4: I actually didn't remember what you sounded like. Oh well, go back and listen to the last two episodes. I mean your normal voice. Oh yeah, I've been heard you talk normal.
Speaker 3: I spent so much time editing those two episodes, adding out all the coughs and the soroat clearing everyone listening. You can thank me because it was rough to listen to that.
Speaker 4: I didn't even want to be friends with you, anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was brutal, all right, everybody, let's gear up and get out to explore locations unknown. July twenty eighth, twenty eleven, experienced Australian hiker begins a ten days solo trek across Utah's remote you Into Highline trail. Along the way, he encounters dangerous snowfields, leaves the established route more than once, and is last seen by a boy scout group deep in the back country. Days later, he fails to appear at the Western trailhead. Search teams on foot, horseback and by helicopters scour vast stretches of rugged alpine terrain, but find no clear trace of where he went. Join us this week as we investigate the disappearance of Eric Robertson Robinson Robinson, I'm doing too much stuff. I'm trying to find buttons and do things right. When I told you I had it all figured out, he threw in all this extra theme music and stuff. So I figure I'm doing pretty good. Actually, yeah, given all that.
Speaker 4: So so.
Speaker 2: The name of the location is the Uinta Highland Trail in the Uintu's Wilderness in U Into Mountains in Utah. It's a lot of you into Utah. Some of the we don't have much information about the area. We'll go right into the climate. The area where Eric went missing is a high elevation continental mountain climate, which is short, cool summers, long, very snowy winters, and frequent fast moving storms even in midsummer. Eric's hike in disappearance was late July to early August. Fell in the core high country season, which generally runs from late June to mid September. In the Uinta's at elevation above about ten thousand feet. This is the Anderson Pass dead Horse Pass in Alsup Saddle. Daytime summer highs are commonly in sixties and seventies fahrenheit, seldom exceeding about eighties, so it's like great hiking weather. Yeah, nighttime lows and the summer typically dropped into the thirties, with freezing temperatures possible even in July and August. In a typical year, trails at lower elevation become usable by mid June, but the high country passes and basins where Eric was often doesn't melt out enough to hike until July. So something about the snow and precipitation. The Uinas receive about forty inches of precipitation per year, with most of that falling as snow. Winter snow accumulates deeply and often persists in a summer on shaded slopes and high passes. Snow can still occur at high elevations even in July. Observers had documented six inches of new snow on July twenty second near Mire Lake, about ten thousand fifty feet, illustrating how a passing summer storm can briefly turn conditions wintry in years with heavy snowfall and cool springs like the twenty ten to twenty eleven season. Describing the investigative work, campgrounds along Mirror Lake Highway sometimes don't fully open until late June and early July storms, wind and rapid weather changes. So summer and the UINTAS is characterized by regular afternoon thunderstorms and quick weather shifts.
Speaker 4: Did we ever have the unitas? Is that in another place or has it always been us?
Speaker 3: I think we may have done an episode years ago in this area and we just said it wrong the whole time.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I'm like, there's something close to this. When I think that the United. We just said it expelling in this one, because I knew my urge was to say unitas.
Speaker 4: See you know, it's funny. I don't recall ever being corrected. I'm sure we were.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we just missed it. Yes, we'll actually cover that in the Patron episode. And we read when we read the comment comments thoughts that's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: So moist air masses can produce short lived but intense thunderstorm cells, bringing heavy rain, hail, lightning, and sometimes snow at the highest elevations. Forecast data for the eastern Juenta's Mountains show that even on generally sunny days, afternoon chances of showers and thunderstorms are common, with gusty winds accompanying front passages. Winds at high elevations are typically in the ten to fifteen million hour range, but gusts can reach twenty to twenty five miles per hour or more in storms. So snowpack and timing during the twenty eleven conditions. When heavy winter snow is followed by cool spring, high country snowdrifts persist longer, meaning passes like Anderson Pass and Dead Horse can remain partly snowbound well until July and early August in twenty eleven. That meant portions of the Highline Trail Neil, Anderson, dead Horse and Rocky Sea Passes were still covered by high angle snowdrifts.
Speaker 4: When Eric traveled through a.
Speaker 2: Little more about the terrain, Eric disappeared in a very specific kind of high mountain train steep alpine passes, loose talus, cliffmans, and remote basin where there is no no maintained trail on the side he tried to descend. The key areas are Anderson Pass, Yellowstone Basin, dead Horse Lake Pass, and the unnamed saddle above Allsop Lake. That's what we referred to as the Allsop Saddle. The Uinta Mountains are an east west oriented range with many miles of subalpine and alpine terrain above the tree line. The high Line Trail runs along the southern crest, crossing multiple passes above eleven and twelve thousand feet. This environment combines very short summer season with lingering snow fields on north facing slopes, frequent lightning, and fast changing mountain weather. Broad open basins where trails are faint and easily obscured by livestock or snow. Long distances between trailheads, making rescue difficult. So a little bit about the Anderson Pass. It's the highest point in the high line and sits near King's Peak on a rocky headwall where the official trail traverses steep slopes below cliffs. The pass itself is almost entirely rock, no smooth dirt path. In twenty eleven, steep, high angled snow covered parts of the traverse created a situation where slipping couldsen a hiker down into cliff bands and loose talus. Experienced mountaineers who cross about a week after Eric reported higel snow and chose to go above it on a knife edge ridge rather than traverse across it, emphasizing how risky it was.
Speaker 4: It's a little foreshadowing.
Speaker 2: Yes, Eric, lacking technical snow gear, bailed below the snowfield, scrambling down through those cliff bands and loose rock. Once below the pass, he entered Yellowstone Basin, a broad drainage, so he didn't try going through it, which is a smart move.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The trail runs perpendicular to the Highline trail leading down canyon instead of along the crest. Livestock and grazing use have created multiple faint paths and signboards that can be hard to read or follow. The Yellowstone Creek and Junction sign indicate you're leaving the Highline corridor, but a hiker must be paying close attention to interpret them. The dead Horse Lake and dead Horse Pass so dead Horse Lake is an alpine basin in the West Fork Black Black's Fork drainage. The lake sits in a rocky bowl beneath dead Horse Pass, which is widely regarded as the most difficult pass on the entire high Line. The pass is a steep north facing slope with loose talus and narrow trail and heavy snow years snowdrifts can cover the trail well into August. I'm getting it's really snowy here, snowy and rocky and just slippery. The talas rocks are slippery enough.
Speaker 4: When you're just on them, let alone when they're wet or snowy. Yes.
Speaker 2: The trail switchbacks up a tallis slope, then crosses a high angle snow slope above cliffs, a location where a slip could Sunday hiker overexposed drop offs the unnamed saddle above Alsop Lake instead of climbing down climbing dead Horse Pass, eric turned west towards an unnamed saddle between dead Horse Lake Basin and Allsop Lake Basin in the East Fork Bear River. So for anyone who doesn't know what a saddle is, it's if you can imagine like a saddle on a horse, it kind of dips down where you sit on it. Pretend there's two mountains, and the in between those two mountains is the quote unquote saddle.
Speaker 4: It's like a little baby valley exactly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't go all the way down, but it like connects two ridges, two peaks.
Speaker 4: Whatever it would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's easier to you take the saddle and don't go all the way down and go back up.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Usually a faint unofficial trail climbs from the vicinity of dead Horse Lake up to the saddle. This path is not is not a maintained high line route. It exists mainly as a social trail used by few adventurous parties. From the saddle, a hiker can see Allsop Lake below, giving the impression of a potential shortcut to the East Fork trail system. On the Allsop side, which is the west side, the train drops away from the saddle in two stack cliff bands down into a steep boulder field. Investigators described two sets of cliffs, an upper band roughly forty or fifty feet tall, and a lower band another sixty or seventy feet, with a combined slope averaging about a fifty two percent grade below the cliffs. The slope is a field of broken rock, large boulders coarse talus, where movement is unstable and footing is poor. There is no maintained trail descending the allsop side. Only risky options exist a steep gully or traversing above cliffs to reach screen slope. That's the one thing I've run into a couple times. You look down at lakes from like mountains, Yeah, a lot of times it looks like it's just a hill, and then when you actually look at terrain maps there can be like huge drop offs but you can't see them. So you can end up getting in really bad spots by thinking like, oh, I can just go down that way, and then you all of a sudden can't get back up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's advisable to really stay on trail as best as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So overall hazards in the area if you haven't already figured that one out. Elevation and exposure are a huge high exposed alpine terrain with steep slopes and cliff bands where small navigation footing airs quickly become life threatening. The no maintained descent routes, so from all Stop Saddle there's no official trail down to Allsop Lake, only steep gullies or traverses above cliffs on loose rock routes that demand strong route finding judgment and comfort with risk rock fall and snow effects over five years, Rocks break off cliffs and roll down down slope. Snow and avalanches can move bones and gears, scattering remains and adding to the difficulty of interpreting the exact fall line. Isolation, Allsop Blake is lightly visited compared to other u into spasins weather and visibility alpine weather, cloud build up storms, low visibility compounds the risk of trying to pick a descent line in unstable talis and cliff terrain. So, Mike, why don't you tell us a little bit about Eric Robinson?
Speaker 3: Sure, and before we get go in, I will just note to all of those listening you may from time to time hear some weird sounds in the background. So our new studio is on a third floor overlooking a very busy intersection, and being Milwaukee, there's lots of motorcycles out right.
Speaker 4: Now and just weird sounds.
Speaker 3: And they love blaring music. So I was listening to one of our older episodes and I heard ambulance sirens. There's also a huge hospital right near us. You might hear some sounds, but that's just the all the excitement going on outside the studio.
Speaker 4: Everyone's excited that it's warm out. Yeah, it doesn't do this, and so they decide to ride their Harley's around.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's the South Park episode.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's like the best.
Speaker 3: You mayo we're talking about. Yes, so all right, back to the episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right.
Speaker 3: The name of the character in this case is Eric Robinson. Date of birth March nineteenth, nineteen forty seven. He went missing, so he's reported overdue on August seventh of twenty eleven, after failing to arrive at the Highline trailhead at the end of a planned ten day hike in the area.
Speaker 4: He was male, age sixty three. Body description.
Speaker 3: He was described by his wife and search officials as about five foot seven to five foot eight.
Speaker 4: He was He had a slender build, fit build.
Speaker 3: He's bald headed with some gray hair around the sides of his head. He as an avid, capable hiker who had thoroughly walked nearly every trail in his homeland of Australia and in multiple overseas mountainous regions.
Speaker 4: He had blue eyes.
Speaker 3: He was characterized as very social, friendly and outgoing, with a delightful Australian and Scottish accent, and he was known to strike up conversations with anyone he came across in the woods. So he sounds like a pretty cool guy to come across. If you're hiking and Australian Scottish accent, that's gotta be awesome. That's got to be a very interesting mix of very interesting dialects. Absolutely so clothing and Garia's last scene and so. During the twenty eleven search, his wife and officials described him as typically wearing a flea shirt and shorts while hiking, and he'd be equipped for any type of weather he might encounter. He was believed to be carrying a red backpack full of supplies, an emergency locator beacon, and a bear resistant food canister on which he had placed an Australian flagsticker so people would know it if they found it. Personality, Like I said before, he was very keen on hiking and absolutely passionate about the mountains. We had a long history of exploring the wild trails in Australia, New Zealands, Scotland and parts of California and Utah, and he was seen as meticulous and very safety oriented. Like I said, he added the flagsticker to his canister. He carried an emergency beacon, which not a lot of people we cover on these cases have that. But he also embraced the solitude of long solo treks. Friends and family noted very social friendly and liked to talk with other hikers, but also like the fact that he was going out on his own for a stretch of time, especially in a place like this that after the location profile, sounds one of the more remote places you could probably go in the lower forty eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I say that about other.
Speaker 2: Places, but I mean this, this is in the top five. I would say, I'm sharing the screen right now. Yeah, and when I zoom out here, this is all stop lake. I mean it's far away from any type of major road. Yeah, it's it's in the middle of kind of knowing. And the closest city is Salt Lake.
Speaker 4: Salt Lake City to the west, so.
Speaker 3: Not that far from Salt Lake. But once you get away from the city, you're just out in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like you get little towns like from the dot of Salt Lake City as a crow flies, Yeah, seventy miles, sixty miles.
Speaker 4: And yeah it you know, just based on your description.
Speaker 2: It like fifty miles. I was a little feather but that's all Stop Lake. So he had to get there, so he was hiking all in this and this is pretty gnarly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Try, that's really cool. It is cool.
Speaker 2: You could go along this entire line. I'm sure this is the highline trail on this entire thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So here's the saddle that they're talking about. For those looking see how it looks like a nice little horse saddle. Yeah, and he said you could see all Stop Lake from there. I'll see if we got any images for many people. Oh, there's a couple over here, not exactly where they.
Speaker 4: Are, Yeah, I'll see what they look like.
Speaker 2: Courtesy of Brendan Nicholson, September. Thank you Brendan twenty seventeen. Yellos snow it is yeah, this is this is. It could be end of September or lyat September, don't know, but either way it it looks cold.
Speaker 3: It gives me that feeling I had kind of like you're on Mars when we were hiking in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: This is one of those wild too, Like if you're anywhere in this, yeah, there's no cover. No, you're not getting lost in the woods for sure. I mean, even if you're down there, it's pretty sparse.
Speaker 3: Your best cover is if you go back over looking towards the lake. You've got some trees you could try to hunker down in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm guessing these are those cliffs lock it.
Speaker 2: This is where it's like, oh, you could just do quick down there, and that's where you get That's exactly where you get like, oh, it looks like you could go down this way, yeah, and written reality, that's like eight hundred feet down. Yeah, it looks like like, oh, just get my sled out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean, that's why I really hope people get out and hike at you know, hike locations we've talked about because we show a lot of pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Dead Horse Pass. They talked about that. That's where we just took that pic from. So you look at when you look up, that's that cliff edge right there. Yeah, it looked like it went straight down. Nope, you're gonna fall off that one and ye not make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because pictures are really deceiving there, they do not show the true verticality.
Speaker 2: Yes, if this looks like you could walk up it, I guarantee you'd be climbing on your hands and your face.
Speaker 4: That would be like the escalator joke.
Speaker 3: You would just be moving and not going anywhere because as you're going up, you're pulling rock down and the talus and the screen all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it it is beautiful. It looks really cool.
Speaker 4: Okay, awesome, I gotta get out more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is eleven thousand feet from this shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah from oh John lizzen By, Thank you, Jan, thank you, beautiful shot.
Speaker 4: Cool. All right, you can keep going, I'll keep on all right.
Speaker 3: So medical issues nothing major was identified during the search, So throughout the entire search, you was Pertay portrayed as healthy, active, and fit for his age. No mention of chronic illnesses, ability limitations, or any acute medical problems that might have contributed directly to his disappearance, just the basic risks that someone his age could have in that high altitude environment.
Speaker 4: Occupation and a hobby.
Speaker 3: Robinson lived near Melbourne and was retired at the time of his twenty eleven truk. He had previously worked as a mechanical engineer and took part in off roading and bushwalking with colleagues. Hiking and trekking were his dominant hobbies, and he structured major portions of his life and travel around multi week backpacking trips. And that sounds like an amazing retirement. Yeah, I hope someday to be able to do that myself, if we ever get to retire.
Speaker 4: So experience in the wilderness.
Speaker 3: He obviously had extensive experience, having thoroughly hiked nearly every trail in his homeland and also routes in like I said, New Zealand, Scotland, the high sierras of California, and other mountainous environments over the decades. He learned to plan carefully, carry adequate food and gear, and manage himself in remote areas, which was why this disappearance was seen as especially perplexing and concerning, just because of his experience level, how much hiking he had done, the gear that he had so very interesting experience at this location. So Robinson had prior experience hiking in parts of Utah, including segments of this Winta region. Twenty eleven was his first document attempt at a full solo traverse of the high Line trail, and he researched the high Line in advance and chose it as a major objective for his North American trip. But the specific combination of unusually heavy lingering snow, complex terrain that he had to go through, and the kind of fragmentation of the area with jurisdictional fragmentation made this route much more to allenging than many that he had previously done. So really a tough, a tough hike by any stretch.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking something up quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to find if there's any reports from twenty eleven's too little, too far back.
Speaker 4: For all trails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so see where it was that well, if anyone's still watching the screen, you can see this is an example of some of the markers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is a good karen.
Speaker 2: These If you see these on mountains and there's no markers like big power rocks, add one. It's a nice little habit, just throwing on there.
Speaker 4: But don't break them down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't break these ones down, because these are sometimes what's going to save people who are going on mountainous trails because it's the only marker. You know, if this is snowy, you don't see this little footpath here.
Speaker 3: I've read stories of people that don't know what those are that are maybe a little green to hiking, and they they think them over and they think they're helping. Yeah, they yeah, leave those there. They help mark the trails and tell you where you're going. Yeah, But also you gotta really keep when you're on a trail that has just those I've we've been hiking in the past and trails like that where sometimes a stack of rocks looks like a Karen and it's not.
Speaker 4: It's just a natural pile of rocks.
Speaker 3: So you really got to be careful that you're you're following the the correct trail. And that's why you always want to really study the maps of the area and kind of get good at reading topographic maps. A little bit, because that can really help you if you're in a mountainous region to you know what's your surrounding look like, and then look at your map and carry a GPS and load the map into that can.
Speaker 4: Also that'll be the biggest thing. That's the cheat code.
Speaker 3: But you don't want to have just that. You need to be able to rely on kind of more of the old school methods of wayfinding. If your GPS can break or break. Our first hiking trip in Canyon Lens, I dropped my GPS on the trail in the sand, thought I lost it, and then on the hike out I found it again.
Speaker 4: So are you serious? Oh yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: And it was yellow so it blended in with like the reddish orange sand.
Speaker 4: That's really lucky. He still works. Is that how you got out?
Speaker 3: No, actually didn't even use it. It didn't we didn't get the signal didn't work right down in the canyons. Oh so it was kind of useless. Like in the canyons on a high alpine environment, much more useful. Yeah, okay, so why don't get right in the timeline here. He planned to fly from Melbourne to the US in late July His main objective in Utah was a solo trek of the Uinta Highland high Line Trail, starting from the Cheppida Lake area and finishing at the high Line trailhead off Mirror Lake Highway. He intended to hike approximately sixty miles in ten days. Pretty aggressive for this kind of terrain. So that's uh, I mean for someone who's fit has done this a lot. Not maybe as I think that's kind of aggressive for what was his route from He wanted to do sixty miles and ten days.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, the whole trail is one hundred and three miles, so that's more than half of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it sounds like you went from from where to whar Chepida c ch e p e t A Lake to the high Line trailhead.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was going to see if they heap. I'm assuming that is one of the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of these stops. Yeah, okay, cool, but I do the whole thing. It's not this whole thing in the preview, but it sounds like.
Speaker 3: The stretch he picked is probably one of the harder stretches. Yeah, So why don't we take a pause here and we'll describe kind of So we've got all trails up and doing the cool thing where it maps the trail as you're going and tells you the elevation gain.
Speaker 4: So we're a mile in five hundred feet.
Speaker 2: This is now doing the whole one hundred and three Okay, So I'm gonna hopefully I can see trepid of the lake somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he might have done this in reverse too.
Speaker 2: So we're three miles in, you're going up eleven hundred feet at this point.
Speaker 4: At some point that's.
Speaker 2: East Peak Reserve, East Park Reservoir were passing.
Speaker 4: That looks beautiful. No, it does.
Speaker 2: I would totally do this hike, just probably not sixty miles of it in what.
Speaker 4: Nowadays ten on ten days. Okay, that's not too bad, I mean, it's it's still tough.
Speaker 2: We did We did forty miles in five days in Montana, right. Oh, no, we did a little shorter because we didn't have our pass plus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was forty miles. We ended up doing like thirty, but we went like the wrong way up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was not at all technical like this, that was not technical. That is, it had a path the whole way on an elevation game lot, but it was a path.
Speaker 4: The idea was it was.
Speaker 2: Still very difficult the amount of times, so this is significantly more work. Yeah, in a roughly the same amount of time at three times a distance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: Everything in Glacier is very well marked, not necessarily signage, but you know you're on the path because a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Hike that part. Yes, it's very popular.
Speaker 3: Yes, this sounds like, especially in some of the areas he got down into, there's a lot of false trails from cattle and all kinds of stuff going out.
Speaker 2: Well, and he couldn't use the trail, Yeah, like he had it. There's too much snow, so you to like make his own path. And I think that's now.
Speaker 3: I would argue that in that situation you probably should turn around and just call off the hike or I don't know if this kind of stuff was available back in twenty eleven, but I mean you could check trail reports and see if it's open.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure in the area they had ranger stations and things and people you can go ask and just say, hey, I'm going to the park.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do the highline trail. Should what should I avoid.
Speaker 2: You know, we always talk to the rangers when we're doing a long hike and still like, yeah, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 4: What should we know.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying like, if a good chunk of the high line, if a good chunk of the high line is closed off due to snow, I probably personally would turn around and just redone it later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just come back. I'm not going on that.
Speaker 3: I'm not going off trail into some canyon and trying to pass it unless I'm like very proficient in winter technical hiking.
Speaker 2: I've done that twice in college. It's annoying. When I wanted to do the Knife s Edge in Colorado two times. One time there was an avalanche and just completely buried the trail in snow.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, this is where we stop. Yeah, I mean you could attempt to get through, but you kill yourself. I had I had the gear and the skill. I was with two people who didn't, so there's no way. And we ran into a dude who was also stopped at the avalanche and he saw me. He's like, hey, do you want to do it with me?
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, I can't leave these guys, and I don't know you, like like I don't know if you're proficient, So no, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you're gonna end up on our show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, like he left the group and went with a stranger into the snow pack and seen, never to be seen again. So but like, yeah, it's annoying, but like, guess what, look at me. I'm still here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean that's another thing to think if anyone's ever hiking. It's not if if something's impassable and it's on your route and you don't feel comfortable for you know, going forward, nothing is worth trying to just get through your trip. We've called off trips because of weather, Like it sucks, especially when you plan for a whole year, take two weeks off and fly somewhere and then you can't finish your hike.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like that really stainfort But I'm nineteen hours so I've not semented mountains so many times and I hate it, but like, but that's part of it. I go and I go sulk a little bit and get some Chinese food in Denver. In Denver and like be like ah, this is kind of nice. Yeah, So all right, Well we'll let this run in the background. I'll continue with the timeline. So, like I said, he intended to hike approximately sixty miles and ten days, and it ranged for a friend in you Taw to meet him at the western terminus on August seventh of twenty eleven. He initially expected to finish on August sixth, but August seventh was added because Julia, which was his friend, was unable to pick him up on the sixth, so the specific time to meet him was noon on the seventh, And this also helps to explain why there was no alarm raised earlier. And after the hike, he was scheduled to fly onto Vancouver in British Columbia for another leg of his extended hiking trips. So you know it's July twenty eighth, twenty eleven. This would be kind of his known departure and intended itinerary. So Eric set out on July twenty eighth of twenty eleven from Chepindel Lake trailhead, northwest of Vernal. He began his solo hike on the High Line Trail, and he intended to cover about sixty miles over ten days. Like I said, and like I said he was expected to return August seventh. Friends and family knew that after leaving the lake he would be out of cell phone range and would not be in regular contact until he finished, so obviously the lack of messages during the ten day window did not really stand out as unusual. It's now July thirtieth of twenty eleven. A significant a piece of information emerged during the August search that another hiker had encountered Eric at Fox Lake on July thirtieth, and a witness reported seeing Eric near Fox Lake and described him as good health and good spirits. And this encounter would have been about two days into his trek, so we know two days in he's good health, happy, enjoying life. When the witness came forward during the search, Fox Lake then became kind of the last known sighting used by searchers. And we'll get into more details on that in a few minute.
Speaker 4: He is Fox Like, we actually just passed it, okay, so that how many miles in was it was?
Speaker 2: Oh geez, I think like it was like forty something if but we don't know where where he started.
Speaker 4: We didn't we didn't see the lake that he started on. Chad Trepida.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go back and see if I can pinpoint it. I mean, I was talking talking to you for a little bit.
Speaker 4: What's that.
Speaker 2: It's Taylor Taylor Lake. Okay, I saw a tea and I got excited. So it could have been from the other way and he was going this way. Because if this is the trailhead.
Speaker 4: Oh there it is where Oh you found it right there, Trepid, the Lake traiload.
Speaker 3: Hey, okay, that's where he started. Okay, all right, so two days in he made it to Fox Lake. Where are we now?
Speaker 4: I think it's trying to go back to Oh, it's trying to start over. Okay, So that's good.
Speaker 3: We know the start point and we know he was seen alive at Fox Lake. So it's now August seventh, twenty eleven, the date he was supposed to be picked up, and he does not appear at the Mirror Lake Trayhead trailhead. Eric's friend in Utah knew he'd planned to complete his highline hike and emerge at this area. On August seventh, She arrived at the trailhead around midday to pick him up. He wasn't there, so she and her partner walked a little way. You know, they did a little walking around, hiked a bit of the trail, then left, and then came back and returned later in the day. He was still not there, But it's totally not uncommon for hikers to be held up like they slept in or this is a good.
Speaker 4: Question for you.
Speaker 2: What do you think is a reasonable window on a multi day, very hard, long distance hike without coverage so you don't know what's going on. I can see you just calculating all the variables. Yes, like a fair window.
Speaker 3: If I start worrying, said yeah, because I mean in searchers and law enforcement do this calculation too, because you don't want to just be spinning up searches every day for hikers.
Speaker 2: Over so they're two hours late, they'll probably be all right, just chill out.
Speaker 3: What do you what would you get? I would say you have to factor in a few things. You factor in his experience level, fitness level, and then time of day you're supposed to meet him, so noon, I would say, if he's not there by night, I'm telling authorities like six hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, so you have a six after six hours, you're gonna start at least notifying.
Speaker 3: I think for someone in his experience level, okay, and actually, and you know what, it probably doesn't hurt to just tell him right away, like law enforcement will determine when is the proper time to start a search.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say, like to a listener, if someone's late, say you could say, here's there, tell them who they are, how good they are when they were due, and you could even say, hey, I'm not worried yet, but I just want you to be aware that he's not here yet.
Speaker 4: He's overdue. I'm going to be coming back to check on it, but I just want somebody to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good way to go about it right away, just to raise the alarms.
Speaker 4: But you're telling somebody to if they.
Speaker 3: Say, hey, so let's rephrase at a worried level, well no, I would say, like besides, like just in your head, what would you.
Speaker 4: Think is safe? And then I'll tell you mine.
Speaker 3: Okay, So personally, not factoring in what law enforcement do, I would say, if someone's overdue, let them know. They'll start the search when they deem it appropriate. I think person that's the official advice from locations. I know, if someone tells you they're going to be out at a certain date and time and they are not there, and I would say, given give an hour before calling law enforcement. Like if I was going to pick you up in some remote place and it was noon and you weren't there, and like an hour or two went by, I'd probably call the police and be like, hey, my buddy told me he was at noon. He's not just a heads up. He might still be hiking in. They'll they do this all the time.
Speaker 4: They'll figure out what they want.
Speaker 3: But personally, if that you were late and now it's dark and you still haven't shown up, now.
Speaker 2: You're breaking out of champagne and celebrating because you're like, I got the best episode ever.
Speaker 3: Right now, I'm getting a little worried, like, okay, yeah, Joe's experience.
Speaker 4: He said you be here. He's about to do another night that he didn't plan for.
Speaker 3: Now something might be wrong, okay, And if you're not there by morning or like noon the next day, now I'm full blown like something's wrong.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's weird for me.
Speaker 2: I think the more experience you have, the bigger the window I would give you. And that sounds counterintuitive, and why I'll give you my thought behind this, and this could be wrong.
Speaker 4: This is just my initial hunch.
Speaker 2: Some expert could be like, that's the dumbest thing ever, and fine, tell me if that's the case. But I would think, like if I know the guys very experienced, Yeah, I would say twelve to twenty four hours, okay. And the reason is because I'd be like, oh, if they ran into something, they'll probably I would alert people right away, like you said, Yeah, but I wouldn't be worried until about two days past okay, because I'd be like, Okay, if they did run into something, they got hurt, they'd probably be able to like figure it out, and maybe they're hunkered down and then rescues it.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be worried.
Speaker 3: I guess another variable you got a factor in two is location and weather.
Speaker 2: Well locations unknown. Yeah, So if this was like Yellowstone, I'm less worried. Yeah, there's trails everywhere.
Speaker 3: If it's like Danali and you were just out in the country for two.
Speaker 2: Years in the Australian or Australian Alaskan Triangle, yeah, very worried.
Speaker 4: Yeah, three hours day, Oh, very worried.
Speaker 3: If it was sunny in blue sky like this, your entire time on your hike. Less worried if like a huge snowstorm blew through, much more worried about yep. So yeah, there's so many variables. It's I think everyone each one is unique. But I think the good advice would be if they're overdue, alert the authorities. They're not just going to spin up a search like you know, an hour after someone's been missing.
Speaker 4: So he he definitely was on the hardest segment. He was on the hardest stretch. One was on the hardest stretch.
Speaker 3: So like I said, she arrived, he wasn't there. They walked around, didn't find him. They came back later in the day he'd still not arrived. And in the same light that day, relatives in Australia did not yet know anything was wrong. They expected Eric to finish travel to Vancouver and re establish contact around that time, but the concrete information they had was that his trip end date was August seventh. So by the evening of August seventh, his friend contacted authorities and to say that Eric was overdue prop which started the formal search planning. So they kind of followed my fear of like give it till dark and if he doesn't show up, all right, call.
Speaker 4: Authorities I have. I think they did the right thing.
Speaker 3: So by August eighth, the local sheriff's office launched a search operation for what they said a missing Australian hike er overdue on the Highline trail.
Speaker 4: Last last question, this one doesn't is gonna take a while.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the more days that are planned, the bigger the window gets. That's a good question because you would say, like a day hike, a day hike in their windows, I'm concerned exactly, like within a couple hours.
Speaker 4: But if they've been gone two weeks and they knew what they were doing, yeah, like that's interesting.
Speaker 3: So obviously in this case, the authorities basically started to search the next day, so they were concerned. Okay, So they didn't do it immediately August eighth. They started planning on the seventh, Okay, so they even.
Speaker 4: So, they didn't hop in their horses and start from what.
Speaker 3: I don't know exactly the time of day they started the search, but I'm assuming when you know, it was light out, So sometime in the morning on August eighth, the search and rescue mission started.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they were they were concerned, but not concerned enough to immediately drop everything and go.
Speaker 3: And I mean if they told them at night and they didn't do until morning, it's hard to drum up a massive search in the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fair.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we've seen ones for kids, though, where it's like yeah, and granted, children I think elicit that type of response usually because they typically don't know what they're doing, so okay, so yeah.
Speaker 3: Based on how quickly the search started, I think authorities thought something was wrong in this case. But that's an interesting point, Like, these are all variables. It'd be fun to see a study done on all of these different variables of how long the plan trip was, to how overdo they were, to when the actual search started.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna try and do some research while you're.
Speaker 3: Taking I would bet that it's probably different by jurisdiction.
Speaker 4: I bet it's not all the same, it's all over I bet that there's probably not.
Speaker 3: And it's probably based on past history, probably in areas where they've had a lot of massive searches for people that they've never found him. Probably when someone goes missing, they kick off the search right away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But now there areas like highly trafficked national parks where people are overdue all the time and then walk out.
Speaker 4: They're probably like a little.
Speaker 2: They also probably get reports of missing people and then they're like, oh, they just can't like so it's like a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm with say, with the cases that we've covered, the searches pretty quickly start after they're reported missing fair enough, so I think it's safe to say that within twenty four hours a search usually is started.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm gonna do some searching and I'll let you know, so.
Speaker 3: Like I said, August eighth, the search started. Eric's wife, Maryland, told reporters at the time there had been no confirmed sightings of him since July thirtieth. He had not used his he had not used his mobile phone, his emergency beacon had not been activated, and neither his tent or backpack had been located. So that's an interesting piece of information that he had an emergency beacon with him and it was not activated. So that's another variable for your question. M So, if somebody is extremely lost and injured, you would think they would just spool up their emergency beacon and just get it over with. So that just keep that in the back of your head for this case. So he had a beacon with him and he didn't use it. She described the situation as surreal and said clearly we are very worried at this point. Initially searchers had a broad intended route and slowly updated this as evidence came in so start the search. They didn't know a real fixed They kind of had a broad area of where he'd be hiking. August tenth to twelve, twenty eleven, the search operations intensify around Fox Lake, being the kind of the last known sighting. Over the week following August eighth, search operations intensified. The County Sheriff's office deployed horses, hell helicopter, volunteer hikers.
Speaker 4: Across the wilderness area.
Speaker 3: The search was shaped initially by the assumed route so Cheppida Lake to Mirror Lake via the high Line Trail, with Fox Lake as a last known point. Eric's wife described to the media that he had explored nearly every hiking trail in Australian overseas and was well equipped, reinforcing the idea that he was experienced and prepared and around this period I mentioned this a little bit earlier, but a hiker who had met Eric near Fox Lake contacted the Sheriff's office and officials began using Fox Lake as the obvious known last sighting. August thirteenth, twenty eleven, as the search entered its seventh day, the county Sheriff's officials received critical new piece of information and LDS Bishop from West Jordan contacted them on Saturday, August thirteenth to report that he had encountered Eric Robinson on August second in the Yellowstone Creek drainage while leading a group.
Speaker 4: Of Boy Scouts.
Speaker 3: Eric had been approximately three and a half miles south of the high Line trail at that time. The bishop described Eric as in good health and good spirits. So now we have another sighting later on near the Yellowstone Creek drainage area.
Speaker 4: He's a picture of him at Chipeta trailhead.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, very fit individual. Yeah, he looks very well prepared. Has a massive backpack like we carry. Oh yeah, he's got all the stuff he needs.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's ready to go.
Speaker 3: So now this new sighting moved the last known position forward from Fox Lake on July thirtieth to Yellowstone Creek on August second, and this provided a lot of new hope that they might find him, and it also focused the search more August thirteenth, fourteenth of twenty eleven, following the bishop's support, searchers obviously adjusted their focus. They concentrated on an area between the Five Points Lake and Bluebell Pass. Trailheads teams on horseback headed into the area and Sunday hikers sent in Saturday didn't. They didn't report any fresh sightings of Eric. Chief Deputy Born noted his concern that the emergency locator beacon still had not been set off. At the same time, he emphasized that they had not given up hope. So that is a concerning bit of news that if he's this overdue, why hasn't he set the beacon off yet?
Speaker 4: So interesting mid.
Speaker 3: August twenty eleven, so as the search continued beyond the seventh day, Australian news coverage started picking it up.
Speaker 4: So they noted that he was six days.
Speaker 3: Overdue, and they talked about the horses, helicopters and teams of voluntary hikers out there hiking checking form. Maryland repeated publicly that his phone hadn't been used, his beacon hadn't been activated, and none of his gear had been located. It's late August twenty eleven, and sadly, the search was suspended. I guess not late August seventeenth of twenty eleven, roughly ten days after the search began and the overdue report was filed. They made the difficult decisions to spend the active search. So several years go by, nothing is found, no news, and it's now August of twenty sixteen and the family does a trip to Allsop Lake. So, five years after his disappearance, a Coleville area family, Mark Judd and his sons, including Kelvin and Kimball, planned a summer backpacking trip into the High Juinta's Allsop Lake, a relatively remote basin in the headwaters of the East Fork Bear River, was chosen as their destination. They camped on the east side of the lake in a basin that is scenic but does not sit directly on the main high line trail, and it also sees very light visitation compared to the better known areas in the basins. It's August eighteenth of twenty sixteen, and that's a Thursday. Calvin, his father, Mark, and brother Kimball left camp to explore a steep wooded slope leading towards a saddle east of the lake. And this is a ridge that separates the Allsop Basin from the and containing Dead Horse Lake on the other side. As they climbed, they angled up through the forest and then onto more open rocky ground above the tree line. They saw other hikers descending a tallislope on the north side of the saddle, but chose a different line, aiming for a collar further south. While traversing the steep boulderfield so loose rock broken tails, Kevin's father noticed something red below a large boulder. He pulled out a pair of binoculars and he said, this is a quote that looks like a backpack. So as they worked down to it, the family saw torn fabric flapping in the wind that looked like part of a tent. They found a trekking pole, and they found others scattered gear, including clothing, across the slope. Then Kimball spotted a hiking boot wedged among the rocks, and this was a quote from me. He said, you could see the bottom of it from where we were standing, and you could see the vibrum's soul. He picked up the hiking boot, and sticking out of the hiking boot was a t in a fibula with hiking socks torn half torn over it. The men had realized they had found partial human remains on a steep mountain side, far from any established campsite or trail. Continuing down to the backpack, they opened it and examined the contents. They found a sealed bear resistant food container canister with an Australian flag sticker on it. Among the food, they found at least one item, a granola bar with an expiration date of twenty twelve, confirming the gear had been there for a while. And at the bottom of the backpack they found a wallet and inside the wallet was his driver's license bearing Eric Robinson. So oh, I mean, pretty clear and convincing evidence that they found his remains.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to give that a ninety nine point nine percent. Yeah. So.
Speaker 3: Kevin later recalled that these details the Australian flag expired food ID card led him to conclude they had stumbled on an answer to a missing hiker case that hadn't They hadn't personally followed. There was no cell phone service in the base and the call authorities, so they had the return to CAPP. Knowing they needed to report the find. August nineteenth of twenty sixteen, they alerted the authorities. The juds approached another group of backpackers camp near Brian, including photographer and backpacker Dan Ransom. After hearing their story, Ransom remember details of the twenty eleven missing Hiker search and suspected the remains might be of those of Eric Robinson. Ransom uses personal low care beaconed to send a message to authorities giving the location and nature of the find. So, guided by Kevin and Kimball, Summit County Search and Rescue personnel and deputies climbed the boulderfield. They located the scattered bone, fragments and partial remains. They identified the backpack and other belongings, including a tent, trekking poles, and personal items. The bones were collected and transported to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office for DNA analysis. Summit County Sheriff Sergeant Ron Bridge described the train. He said the remains and items were found about one hundred and fifty yards down a steep slope characterized by harsh boulderfield and the location lay near the high Line trail on Allsop Lake side of the ridge, but not along the main travel path. It's now August twenty third to twenty four of twenty sixteen, and this Wednesday, Desert News reported that human remains have been found near Alsop Lake and were believed to be those of Eric Robinson, who had gone missing in twenty eleven. They just kind of repeated what we had said, how the remains were discovered, who discovered him. Summit County deputies then searched and located as backpack, poncho, walking stick, and other personal items, and the cause of death had not been confirmed, but the remains and personal items being about one hundred and fifty yards down a steep slope of Harsh Boulder trains suggested a possible fall, and Fox thirteen also This Interesting reported on August twenty fourth that DNA testing had confirmed the remains were Erics. However, medical examiner records later provided to KSL so that's the local state out there basically said they didn't need the do DNA analysis, that they pretty conclusively were Eric's remains, So very interesting.
Speaker 4: There's some discrepancy there.
Speaker 3: Late August twenty sixteen, families reaction, I am public framing. In a follow up story, Eric's wife, Marilynd expressed that the discovery had brought peace of mind and answered a question of where he was. They had gratitude towards the Judd family and law enforcement agencies for the care and persistence. Investigators and commensentators emphasized that Eric had been fastidious about his packing, safety gear, food, beacon g and I would agree like he.
Speaker 4: Was very prepared.
Speaker 2: The area where he died was extremely difficult to search.
Speaker 4: We were not laughing at what Mike was saying.
Speaker 2: We don't have boxes covering a window, so sun wouldn't be in his space and just fell off.
Speaker 3: Off the windows. So yeah, apologiz, I was not laughing at this case.
Speaker 4: I just want to make that discision. Yeah, but I think I'm good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I said, this area where he passed was very extremely difficult to search, and it's not shocking that they didn't find his remains during the original search. Now this post twenty sixteen, I don't normally give direc shout out well you always include the sources in the show notes, but shout out to KSL Podcasts for the reporting on this case.
Speaker 4: I've got it pulled up and I was going to go into it soon. Yes, images. Yeah, so they did an amazing job.
Speaker 2: They actually had a guy go out there and recreate his entire hike and take pictures. It was Dave Cally Dave Callie in twenty twenty three, so three years ago. KSL Podcasts they did a whole multi episode on this case.
Speaker 3: I highly recommend going to listen, and we're going to link it. We'll link it, okay, so listen to there we posted. We can tag them too, and just make sure we get all the credit. Yeah, we don't want to pull a crime junkie.
Speaker 4: No, yes, we did not. Joe and I did not hike this and investigated ourselves.
Speaker 2: We should say, now we didn't talk to him yet, right, No, okay, so I'm sharing their website right now. We didn't talk to him about this. But KSL podcast go listen to their whole version of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they so they basically what they did was they took they got access to his camera because he had a camera that had seventy seven photos on it that.
Speaker 4: Were still good. Yeah, and it survived all that time. And they they used his GPS data with those photos, and then they sent a guy out onto the trail to photograph the same areas where the photos were taken of kind of mark to actually get the locations marked. Yeah, I was reading this.
Speaker 2: It's called rephotography or repeat photography, the process of taking matching sets of images from the same location over spent of time positions. And some of the images pairs presented here are precise to within a matter of centimeters. So I looked at some of them real quick, and they're like exact shots of what he took just in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what I'll do is I'll go I'm going to go through the We're going to take a quick pause so you can put your wall down to take my box back up on the window.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll be right back. It just fully fell. I need the.
Speaker 2: Different hold music for this. Let's see if I have something here, maybe the jazzy stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's go all right, We'll be right back, and ladies and gentlemen, we're gonna take a quick break while Mike goes and fixes the window. I'm gonna actually put it on Mike's camera here so we can see what's going on. For those watching the video. Mike is holding the box up to the window. He's got a roller tape. He's trying to do this quickly because we don't want to be here very long. Oh, one of the pieces of tape is completely unusable, so he's making a new piece getting at the top here. Oh, very nice, it's held up. Good job, Mike. Actually, you know what I can do. I can actually switch this here. There you go. I'm out of music.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Look at how sophisticated our setup is here. I think you should leave it in the audio version because it'll make people go to the YouTube version. We have one of our posters here blocking the top there. We have a poster of the Kyle Britton episode. And Mike's just making sure this last little bit here doesn't fall down again. You only had like two pieces up right, Yeah, not anymore. No way, we got hockey tape, hockey sock tape making this happen.
Speaker 4: Now. Gonna make sure I get this back in the right spot. All right, I think you're good. We're back. We're back. All right, there we go, all right here, we are back.
Speaker 2: That was awesome. So a first, it's been a long time since we've had a first here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we haven't recorded in.
Speaker 2: The behind the scenes shot too mid episode, so I think you should leave the audio in the whole time and then people, if they really want to know what's going on, you gotta go to YouTube.
Speaker 4: Yeah and smash that subscribe Buttonyes.
Speaker 3: Alright, So, like I said, the memory card contains seventy seven photographs taken during his final hike and the GPS data exported from his garment, and it showed his route as a series of track points without intact timestamps, but when aligned with the photos like Joe said, and known trail features, they gave solid spatial clues about where he went next. The recovered photographs showed at least three sheep herders along the route his route, but none was known to have reported seeing him during the original search, and they said this doesn't necessarily imply wrongdoing or deliberate silence. They may have not recognized and remembered the date all that stuff, So, like I said, rephotography and highline field work was done by Dave Cawley, and he undertook an eight day solo hike of the high Line trail, carrying Eric's photo set and using it as a guide to rephotograph each location.
Speaker 2: It sounds amazing. Yeah, this is where you're gonna want to go on YouTube. So here we have the trailhead is this is uh one three pm. Yeah, this is Eric's photo. Here is Dave's photo. Yeah, and they have it listed the twenty twenty three match. Yeah, scroll down here. So this was day to July twenty ninth, twenty eleven. This was Eric Robinson's first night campsite near Chipeda Trailhead, photographed at eight o eight am on the morning of his second day. Okay, and here's the twenty twenty three match. So it's it's really cool. Look at you can see. I wish and maybe it's said that. I wonder if it's the exact same time of year too. I didn't look that. I'll look at that when we're done. Here here is the southern edge of Reader Lakes at eight fifty five am the match. You can see like the trees are way more full. Look at all time that tree is. And then twenty twenty three. Yep, some wildflowers that he took. This as Eric's photo. They didn't replicate that. One water crossing near Reader Lakes at nine thirty three am, and then they repeated it. He look at how much looks like it might be a different time of year. It seems more green in Eric's photos.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Quaint Trail Vicinity looking east to reader basin in ten thirty three am.
Speaker 4: Here's the match. Yeah, looks like way less full. I don't know what is really a fire or something? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Taylor Lake eleven forty seven am. There's the match this one. I doubt they have a match on. Yeah, they don't have a match in that one. Nearing Top North Pole twelve thirty seven. Wow, this is really cool. Yeah, and you can find all this and go to KSL dot com. You can get Yeah, he can set up his poles like he set up his bag and his poles.
Speaker 4: He's like really trying to make it exact. That's really awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so huge shout out to this KSL podcast podcast Kills.
Speaker 4: This is what we want to do. You guys are you're killing it? Good job?
Speaker 3: Yeah, real quick, I'll go through the updated timeline while Joe's kind of going through these. So Day one, July twenty eighth, after traveling Park City to Vernal and then by vehicle, chep to Lake. Eric begins his sole highline hike at approximately one PM and camps less than two miles from the jailhead. Day two July twenty ninth, he crosses the North Pole Pass, camps at Fox Lake. Day three, July thirtieth, he has his fire Layton Lake encounter with another hiker, Eric photographed by them. Later that day he moved west and camped near Gilbert Creek.
Speaker 4: Here's that photograph that the guy took of.
Speaker 3: Him, Yeah, Jay Forgely thirty first. It was a short day, camped at eastern edge of a painter basin, heavy clouds. Day five August first, he crossed Anderson Pass face steep high engel snow on the west side of the pass over cliffs. Lacking the technical gear, he bailed blow. Day six August second, he encounters sheepers and later a boy scout group led by Russ Alson. Appears healthy and in good spirits, but shows scrapes from the difficult train. Receives direction through Garfield Basin and photographs five Point Lake that evening, confirming he followed the recommended route, and this later was revised to about five miles south of the highland. Originally it was three and a half miles. Day seven August third, he crossed Garfield basin Porcupine Pass.
Speaker 2: So look at how much snow is on Anderson Pass for Eric's photo versus this one. So it is way snow here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: He crossed Garfield Base and Porcupine Pass and into Upper Lake Fork Drainage Camp. He camped Interneer Lambert Meadow. Day eight August fourth, air crossed Red Knob Pass at approximately twelve fifteen pm. A photograph taken shortly afterwards showed dead Horse Pass appearing substantially snow covered. His final photographs were taken near the outlet of dead Horse Lake at approximately two twenty four and two twenty six pm. So, I don't know if you can find those.
Speaker 4: Getting down there sheepherder? Is this a picture Eric took of a sheepherder? He's scrolling. He got a lot of good photos. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This dude from KSL at his work cutoff for him. Yeah, that's for sure. So they said that the sheepherders were not.
Speaker 3: Like a no, they just didn't remember seeing him. Like it wasn't anything suspicious here.
Speaker 2: Due to the imminent threat of lightning five point thirty two five was not replicated in the field in twenty twenty three. Okay, so he was up here, but there's lightning, so he didn't take pictures. Yeah, he got out of there, smart yep. Scrolling down, I'm skipping a lot of these. Just eight was this last day? Yeah, Eric Robinson's final day. I mean we rarely get this much of a like look into directly, like what he was experiencing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see the final picture. Let's just go to that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the final picture was the out twenty twenty three match. He's got storms coming in twenty twenty three. Yeah, so we're just scrolling through all the photos. Okay, So there's a map that was his GPS. So this is the last photo from Eric Robinson's camp.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, this is the outlet of dead Horse Lake and approximately two twenty four and two twenty six pm. Okay, so we never get this level of detail, like directly what he saw, like yeah, on the final day. And then this is a cool little map of the different pings from his GPS device, so you can kind of see how he's progressing through And they did a really great job. So you know, like I he said that something happens to him on day eight. You know, that was August fourth. He failed to meet his friend Julia on August seventh. The formal search started on August eighth, and then his remains weren't found until twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: So I'm on their website.
Speaker 2: And unofficial trail zigzags up the eastern of dead Horse Lakes side of the saddle. Eric's GPS data revealed he moved in the direction of that trail and likely used it to ascend the top of the saddle. From there he would have had a picturesque view of Allsop Lake. Eric did not take any photographs from the top of the saddle, meaning he's likely moving with a degree of urgency.
Speaker 4: To descend the far side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the unofficial trail ended at the top of the saddle when the Summit County Sheriff's Office recovered Eric's remains from the base of.
Speaker 4: Allsop Lakes side of the saddle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there were some interesting There was a rope that was found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, badly whather rope attached to the cliff directly above where Eric came to rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In the course of recovering Eric's remains and geart. The investigators also photographed and collected a rope, webbing and carabiner that was fixed to a rock on the upper cliff band above the boulder field. Later disclosures stated that the rope was not part of Eric's equipment. His wife confirmed he did not use rope and did not climb. The rope was poorly anchored and did not match modern climber standards, and a serial number on the caribiner indicated it had been manufacturing in two thousand and nine, suggesting the rope was set up. The rope setup was placed by someone else in two thousand and nine to twenty eleven, and images released show the rope hanging in a way that might appear to be distressed or improvising hiker, like a potential aid for descending the cliff, but there's no direct evidence that Eric actually used it.
Speaker 4: The investigative series.
Speaker 3: That we're looking through also treats this rope as an unexplained artifact at the accent site that may or may not have played a role.
Speaker 2: So, okay, he came upon it, it was like, oh, I use this, and it was badly weathered and yeah broke.
Speaker 3: So get into theory is real quick, because I kind of think we know what happened in this one. So the main theory is Anderson passed. Bailout theory, so Eric's forced off trail just sent below Anderson passed, and August first showed he recognized he was neither equipped nor inclined to tackle the snow. After that, he might have chosen, at least briefly, to abandon his original highline plan by dropping into Yellowstone Creek and aiming for a southern exit. The scout encounter on August second, however, orientated him back towards the high line, and probably something happened where he fell and went down that boulderfield based on the remains how they're found. All the other theories are more or less a fall, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Would I honestly like, I feel like we're not guessing anymore, not all the information we have.
Speaker 4: I mean, that just.
Speaker 2: Seems like what happened, yeah, based on the reports of what the snow was like on that in that area. Yeah, And how he would have had to go around it yep, unfortunately, I think, And how he didn't use his beacon, yeah, which if he fell and hurt himself, he would have got the beacon, or.
Speaker 3: If you're like really lost and he's experienced enough like okay, you lost, he might try to navigate out. But at some point, just like I have this beacon, I was just gonna use it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was probably just like a misplaced footing a slip.
Speaker 3: And and he could have been it could have been late in the day or he's getting dark out and he's trying to rush off.
Speaker 2: Well, and before I knew that's what happened, we were looking at the map literally at that saddle and we're like, oh, look at there's this hidden cliff like right here. Yeah, and we literally said, oh, if you fell off of that, you'd be it would be done. But from the top it looked like you could make it down, So like, yeah, I wonder if he was kind of going to peak, and maybe if he was, if he was being careful and knowing, maybe there could be cliff and you're approaching slowly, but then slip on snow and then what were they saying in all the reports, if you slip, you'll you will slide down. Yeah, so he could have just uncontrolled descent and down the side and then off the click.
Speaker 3: Like you said, sometimes things are hidden. He might have just been tired and like I'm going to go try to get down here, and didn't realize there was such a steep drop and just took one wrong step, And it could have been could have been dark out, there could have been weather in the area that was pushing through. Like There's a whole ton of variables that could have caused it. But I think we pretty much it was a fall.
Speaker 2: I feel like, besides the solved cases we covered, this is the one that I would almost give the most. The best guess is what we don't know is what caused the fall. Yeah, I mean that's that's the speculation.
Speaker 3: But I would say it's not like something like he was hypothermic and he was confused, like he was prepared. It was could have been just a freak a slip.
Speaker 4: We've all done it.
Speaker 3: You're tired and you just you your guard is down a little because you're just exhausted and just miscalculated something and your pack, your pack's heavy. It's going first, it's going to take you right over the cliff. Like I've had it almost happen to where you don't catch.
Speaker 4: Yourself, you stumble, and and then the weight pole part of.
Speaker 3: The reason I like having hiking poles with is they've helped catch myself because if you're just hiking with and your pack starts going.
Speaker 2: It'll take especially with us carrying like fifty Yeah, just a garbage or just garbage that I don't need.
Speaker 3: I almost I almost took a dive off in Hawaii on the seven mile marker. Yeah, the seven mile hike, because it was seven hundred feet to steep like rocky ocean, and I missed my step and my whole right leg was dangling and I caught myself with my hiking pole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, and don't do that. I was.
Speaker 3: I was like, someone just shot me full of like like adrenaline. I was like, and then like I was like ready to hike and get off there. Yeah, that will wake you up.
Speaker 2: So do you want to know the closest thing to a formula that I came up with pulling from some of the Rutherford County SAR manuals.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: So, A useful way to describe it is search urgency equals vulnerable ability plus environmental danger plus evidence of trouble plus significance of the delay minus ability to survive independently. Okay, it's kind of like what we were saying. It's yeah, it's very especially we threw it. Yeah, I mean there's formulas to everything. So some agencies actually use numerical search urgency charts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One current County Star Operating Guide scores nine categories. One number of missing people two age, three, medical condition, four physical condition five, clothing six, equipment seven outdoor experience and familiarity with the area eight weather, nine terrain and known hazards. Okay, So in that particular system, scores range from nine to thirty three, with the lowest score representing the greatest urgency. It also says that a critical score is even one category such as dangerous weather, serious medical vulnerability, into inadequate equipment, or hazard as trained may justify an immediate response. That scoring system is not a nationwide NPS standard, but illustrates how SAR commanders think.
Speaker 4: It's basically what.
Speaker 3: Joe saying is there is a formulae use, but it's kind of it depends. It's a formula that they can tweak and it's not one size fits all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they said, does planned distance matter, Yes, but not as simple as miles to hours calculation. So elevation gain, trail versus off trail, river crossing, snow, heat, mud, ice, technical climbing or scrambling, packweight, daylight, So there's a lot of things that go into it. Experience can cut both ways in that one. I'm just paraphrasing here, but a practical comparison, So this is good lower initial urgency. A healthy experience thirty five year old is two hours late from a multi day trip, knows the area has a tent, warm clothing, food, navigation equipment, and stable weather.
Speaker 4: Immediate high urgency.
Speaker 2: A seven year old diabetes is forty five minutes late from a two hour day hike, is alone, has no overnight equipment, darkness, is approaching in.
Speaker 4: Severe weathers and forecast.
Speaker 2: So it they have a basis, honestly, kind of how we do our show is like how they calculate in the field, like, Hey, what are all the conditions? Who are we dealing with? Let's paint a pick sure of what's going on, and that will determine how quick we respond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you think about from their perspective, it's a big effort to mobilize a search like this.
Speaker 4: If you're talking one hundred, it costs a lot of money. And lots of money. People don't like thinking like that. Craft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people don't like thinking like that. But quite literally, you're not going to send out the brigade for a healthy person who's on a day hike on a well maintained trail that's an hour late. You're not gonna you might have like an MPs person go walk the trail. Yeah whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's interesting because yeah, you're the resources are finite, and if you do this every day, you're gonna if you did it every you'll be run out of resources to conduct search and rescues by like June. Yeah, like so no, that's interesting, kind of getting at what we were talking about. There's so many variables you have to put into deciding when is the right time, and you can tell in this case, he was reported missing that evening and they essentially started planning the search that night and kicked it off the next day.
Speaker 4: So pretty urgent. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think probably a lot of that had to do with his age, solder, and the tear the terrain he was in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now you're a day overdue.
Speaker 2: Yeah theoretically, yeah, so interesting, All right, cool, I'm glad that they got closure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always liked one it's closed, but you won't like the next case then oh dang it.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, thanks again for tuning into our show.
Speaker 2: We appreciate all of you for listening and sharing locations and known with your friends and family. Be sure to like and fall us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube, where you can find the videos of each episode. And you're gonna want to see this one because it shows Mike fixing the window. Also, if you'd like to support the show monetarily, please visit our website or Facebook store to buy.
Speaker 4: Some cool swag.
Speaker 2: Additionally, you can subscribe to our patron account on YouTube and on Apple, where you'll have access to special events and additional shows for paid customers only. Lastly, when enjoying the beauty of nature, whether backpacking, camping, or simply taking a walk, always remember to leave no trace.
Speaker 4: Thanks and we will see you all next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah,