Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Eye on the Ball. Here, I'll Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera. I guess who's in with me today?
Speaker 4: Jagins Alice, I'm here man your Friday stint.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite done with my drums tech though.
Speaker 3: Well we have when we have two hours. We will have two hours. We monster that thing. And Henry, of course, who saved us yesterday, we'll save us again today. Good afternoon, everybody. We have think we have a pretty good show. Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 4: I've been you know before I abandoned you. You know the golf coach at you know, the women's golf coachy. You know, we wanted to get around, but remember we could. She so dang busy, just kind of get things going when she had arrived, and then lo and behold, what the hell?
Speaker 3: Right? And all of a sudden, guess what, They're champions of the Big twelve Big Golf Champs. Wow, it's funny to me, and I said this to Blake yesterday. You know how it is when you lose a coach. You sean, Oh, who are you gonna get? The world is gonna fall? You know, we can't do this.
Speaker 2: You get Tommy uh is leaving on the whole.
Speaker 4: You ain't get how they're gonna recruit the West because they get Oh we gotta last high Nello, she went to Texas.
Speaker 2: She's done for the money. Yeah, no, we get this woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything is always it does always fun so much hand ringing. But uh Jacobs, also, I got divorce.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, even a better woman comes over a couple of logs. I hope she's listening. My world is it? Oh? Gap? And then there's Steve. Steve, leave me alone. I don't I don't want none, I don't need none. Just leave me alone.
Speaker 4: But yeah, giovanna maman so he she's uh first year coach wins the Big twelve and the first and it's did I see it is right? The the school's first Big twelve championship?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, well overall right first among all the sports. Nice give her a race, okay, give her a million? Two a year. The hold of the desert. You know, I saw, I saw I saw. I saw the basketball coaches a term shee it's way less well she gets half, yeah, at least less than half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, no, you know, go yeah, She's gonna be fine. We're gonna win some games. I saw that they we got a commitment from a player who can shoot, who shoots forty eight percent from three point range.
Speaker 2: I'm gonnay put on the men's team.
Speaker 3: Holy hell yeah, right, you know, yeah, I think the two are gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: They just gotta wait for Brian to see what happens with Carter. Brann looks.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is the conversation when to go intright now. But you know, if Carter Brian comes back, they can be great. Yes, if he doesn't come back, they're still really damn.
Speaker 3: It be very good, right right, And again they have to play together, right, there's only one ball with a lot of good players, so we'll see how that meshes. But I think they have more weapons this year or coming in this year, and the one thing they didn't have last year, with a lot of offensive weapons.
Speaker 2: Yes, different offense right right.
Speaker 4: You know, it's gonna be interesting to see how the pieces fit, you know, with a walk of staying mo crevious and see you know, if he if he's healthy and and it turns out to be what they hoped he was going to be. This last year, you know kJ has gone. How does that affect the the backcourt? But you know you got you got guys, right, you know you think you got guys with the five star recruits that he got.
Speaker 2: So I you know, look, the buzz I'm hearing is that people are happy. Oh sure, we talked about this yesterday, Jay.
Speaker 3: And you know through the years, over the last forty two years since Stuke got here, how many times have you said this team is not going to be very good?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How many times? Maybe twice? People were saying that about this last team at the end of December, that going to be very good.
Speaker 4: Ya.
Speaker 2: I was one of them that it wasn't very good.
Speaker 3: And I think I continue to say that throughout they got beat a few times. What they did in my mind and I'm sure many people, they redeemed themselves in the final three weeks four weeks maybe where they set a rallying and playing better, did really well in the Big twelve and you thought more about more of them through the run.
Speaker 4: Right, right, Well, that was it. And you know, and what you saw was that Tommy really had to do a coaching job. I mean, he had to coach. He had to figure things out. You know, the last teams, a couple of teams he had before that, they were who they were out of the box, and that's who they were all year long. He knew that they couldn't continue being who they were in November and December, and he worked and he worked on it, and it evolved and by the end of the year and look, and he got to the sweet sixteen, which if you'd have said sweet sixteen in December, people would have.
Speaker 2: Laughed at you. Right after the four and five start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think before that four and five or you thought at least league right, because you thought that the pieces fit together and they looked good that they would fit together.
Speaker 2: Uh. But you know what you like the season?
Speaker 3: Like the season if you're gonna if I'm gonna evaluate the season like I just did.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: Caleb loves final year and died the same way. He's not that good. What happened, He's not doing really well? What's going Oh, he's doing really well, doing really well.
Speaker 4: And then he edited with a flat, and then you're thinking, god, he was pretty good.
Speaker 2: He was. Do you forget about the people have fallen in love with him so much?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm right all those people who at the beginning of the year were crapping all over the guy, even saying I wish he hadn't come back, remember, which I was just incredulous that he had.
Speaker 2: The Big twelve player and PAC twelve player of the year.
Speaker 4: And he said I'd rather he not come back, right, and and and he just said, you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And he was fine. I mean, he was great. Come on, who played better in the last stretch here?
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: So, you know, good for him, and I'm happy that, you know, his legacy here will be of having been a really good player.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right, you know, I won't remember that other thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they'll forget now that how much they really didn't want him to be around.
Speaker 2: No. No, he ended fine.
Speaker 3: And then Tommy did too, that kind of rehab the whole year, and then they finished Sweet sixteen. And well, here was another thing, the Duke game. Had they tanked it lost.
Speaker 2: They were a different converse.
Speaker 3: It would be a different they would say all these guys, but they played hard, they played tough, they rallied to almost kind of get in it again.
Speaker 2: And they played them better than everybody but Houston. Yeah. Yeah, so there was that, you know. I like the whole season. It was kind of god good, but it was fun. And again it was fun.
Speaker 4: The big twelfth season was really fun, just like we predicted it was going to be. Yeah, with all the great games, great home games, competitive home games.
Speaker 2: You know, just just have a word for it.
Speaker 4: I guess I can't say it on the radio, but just everything was so tight, right, yeah, these games.
Speaker 3: Just what next year is going to be even better? Yeah, with better teams coming in and they're going there.
Speaker 2: The schedule he's put together, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be fun, the good old days, just like a good well and you know, and again it goes through what we've been saying. I'll play these games, right, play Yukon, play Auburn, play Alabama. Plays play these games because at the end of the year, when you're being evaluated, if you play those games, then lose them, it's better than not playing them and beating some other crap teams.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 3: I got an email or a message from one of the one of my readers or whatever and friends.
Speaker 2: He said, Now, do you feel good that they're playing these teams? I've always felt that.
Speaker 3: I've always felt that it wasn't like the Shawn years where he'd play a bunch of the under NAU teams and then have these great records. And this is maybe a shot at him or maybe not a shot at a Sean.
Speaker 4: But he won a lot of games, no question, But he didn't play these types of games, right. They were few and far between, which maybe the time for Arizona basketball that was just not as much fun.
Speaker 2: No, go ahead, No, we had a ton of fun last year. Fun.
Speaker 3: I'll give you twelve years of basketball of under Seawan. Maybe three of those years were fun, Yeah, the first the Elite eight. Yeah, when they ran the twenty eleventeen, and then they went to fourteen and fifteen years and then got beat by Wisconsin. But those were fun until then and then it started to then it started to win right.
Speaker 4: Well, just you know, there wasn't really a lot to look forward to going to McHale. I mean, how many games that I'm walking into McHale, you know, taking that walk from where we park over there by the tennis courts. Yeah, through the arch and getting to mccalle going, I'm really excited for this.
Speaker 3: Game, right you were this year though, yea, yeah, even you have to go back to the current time or two a couple of times to rethink.
Speaker 2: But you know, and you know.
Speaker 4: Just how many times I thought, this is this one's gonna be fun tonight, even though it's a nine o'clock game, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know there was a lot of that this.
Speaker 3: I'm sure my boy here had a lot of fun too in his final year. Oh yeah, yeah, best game Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: I think it's got to be. I was sick.
Speaker 3: I always say that's that's what I love. Yeah, yeah, yeah, what did you think about love?
Speaker 2: Finally? What did you think? And then what'd you think later?
Speaker 5: I never even when he was off to a bet start, I kind of knew, like eventually you get going. So, I mean, he was so good. He was literally the pack to a Player of the Year. Like you said, I don't I think fans jumped on him a little bit too much because they saw Snon on Arizona State, who they were going to get, who he was doing well, so.
Speaker 2: They kind of jumped on love for that, but that changed too exactly.
Speaker 4: And also think it was a little bit of a hangover from how he finished last season, you know, the season before, disappointment with you know, how bad he was, you know, down the stretch at the at the end of the twenty four season, so people kind of had a bad feeling going in and then he came out of the box not not looking great. And then the next thing, you know, he's carrying them to you know, I mean, they had a shot to win the league. You know, they had they beat Houston right then. It was a very good game, and had their shot at him. But you know, look at who.
Speaker 3: Look at who Houston ended up being. What are you talking about, Arizona. Arizona didn't beat Houston. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They had a shot at you know, had they had they had they beaten Houston in.
Speaker 2: The regular season, they might have won the league.
Speaker 3: Right And I think too not this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 4: But Tommy kind of grew up too. He became more cranky, He became more didn't he.
Speaker 5: Henry that clip of him against Houston when he's yelling at Carter Bryan to like hold on to the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, well that was manufactor.
Speaker 4: But even in the press room with with with us, you know, he was a little cranky inside.
Speaker 2: You know who the kicker kick.
Speaker 4: You know, he was more he was more uh more animated, which is good, which is a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and again, you know, as good as he's been, I think that's had made people forget this is only his fourth years ahead as the head basketball coach, you know, And I find me other head basketball coaches who have accomplished as much in that amount of time.
Speaker 2: Here's the side of John Shire. Here's the problem with that, Jake.
Speaker 3: So they've gone to three four sweet sixteens and a first round loss, all his major upper and you still think, you still hear the people right, well, what's he done?
Speaker 2: What's what's he done? Right? Is that good enough anymore? Maybe we'll see.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens when they come back next year, and then I'll kind of a whole start over with the with the women's basketball program. We'll try to get ahold of her Burke here some of the time when she's less busy, which means what next year.
Speaker 2: She's not getting players man and hiring assistant coaches, right, and Brozi's coming back. Yeah, that's a you know what, that's a great hire. Not it is a great heart. Not just because of Loot's legacy and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: She had what seventeen years and as an assistant in the WNBA.
Speaker 2: She can coach and yeah, and she was been there, done that at this level.
Speaker 3: Here, right, she played here, she's you know, she's she's an experienced coach, somebody who knows the layout here, the lay of the land, probably has you know, a good feel for you know, boosters and fans and recruiting this recruiting in the area and all of that, and you know, and then she can attract players and say, look, I can help get you to the n w NBA because I know what it takes to be in the w n b A.
Speaker 2: Those things help, right, surely don't hurt. And if you have somebody inside the house.
Speaker 4: I mean, how how much did that help Jed Fish right with all the guys that he had here, all these guys from the NFL and whatnot. Why else would people come here to to play for a tennis player you have good at the end of the day, You're right, this is Broadcasting Seattle.
Speaker 2: It can we can, Well, that's all right.
Speaker 4: We'll we'll we'll text the we'll text the podcast linked to Jed.
Speaker 2: We'll go on the n.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna get to the women's golf coach Saturday.
Speaker 4: Giovanna. I guess it's Maimon, right, Maimon. She's from Spain. Okay, Mexico, Mexico, Mexico. I get those all the time. This is just called Golf of Spain. Google it, Yeah, see where it's at.
Speaker 3: And then we're gonna get to some update on football because you are you gonna be there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go tomorrow. But I'm gonna go there tomorrow. I don't know what the hell's going on because I haven't been out there.
Speaker 4: It's a party, so Justin will be out there and kind of let us know what's going on tomorrow. It's a practice with a bunch of with a bunch of with a bunch of fan events and beer on the field.
Speaker 2: So they were made for years of beer garden. It's big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely going. It should be fun. Okay, so let's take a break. Get ahold of the Giovanni.
Speaker 2: Giovanna.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus bots just after this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Fun fun, That's fun.
Speaker 1: Enter it now Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 6: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 7: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom.
Speaker 8: Of your dreams.
Speaker 7: Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 7: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two, Equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lendrix, syncredit rates and available loan programs of subject to change with nut notice.
Speaker 10: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at this chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the leading.
Speaker 10: Card shops in the country, we've been served our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 10: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard bacall Law Office defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 12: Go Cats got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to do azpes dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 13: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mining, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals apper process.
Speaker 2: That's why mining is.
Speaker 7: So IMPORTANTVM dot com, the Window Depot, wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware, and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way.
Speaker 8: All under one roof.
Speaker 7: Find a location near you, or shop online at the window deepot dot com d no depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 11: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plax acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ramira on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Win in the Ball. Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty, I'm Steve Rivera. In today's jagan Zels. Now in the ful, we have Giovanna Maymond, the Arizona Women's golf coach, champions of the Big twelve almost s.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello, go cat good Cato, I mean I'm doing great. Right.
Speaker 2: How does that sound right?
Speaker 8: I know, unbelievable right now. I think it hasn't sunking, especially after a three way play, let me tell you that. So, I mean, it just sounds amazing. I think just making history and being the first team to win a victor championship, it's it's been so special for us.
Speaker 3: We're starting to go fundme place a thing for you to say, get the statue going, that'll be nice. Yeah, when you first got here just a few months ago, what were you thinking, Okay, I gotta do this to establish myself and the team.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know it all, you take it day by day. I think that's that's what you need to focus on. Just you come in, you try to set up a culture, but really blending I think your first year it's a little tough because you just have the kids that you have, you know it, and setting up a culture depends a lot on getting to know your kids. And when I got here, I mean, obviously like we had a lot of success at the beginning of the year, but golf comes and goes, and every sport comes and goes. We've had an okay spring, but we never I mean we never got our heads down. We always kept fighting. We always got better, and we knew that the process was gonna get in Like we were seeing results, it was just not clear in any tournament. And finally on this one he was, you know, the girls do really well when we're on TV. We were like, you know, girls, last round, we're on TV. I think it means something. We've been on TV at Falls of Honor, We've been on TVs and Andrews, we're on TV at Big Tall, So I think this means something. And there you go.
Speaker 4: Well, let me ask you, because you made the step from an assistant coach at Texas A and M to the head coach at Arizona. A couple of things there. One, you were going to an unfamiliar place. But then this big step of going from an assistant to a head coach? Was that ever intimidating to you when maybe you were away from the office or away from the golf course thinking about what you were trying to do personally or professionally as a coach. To take this step, like I said, in a different place and you know, moving up, what was that like for you?
Speaker 8: I mean, definitely intimidating. I would be lying if I didn't say it. But this is what I worked so hard for as an assistant and as a player in golf, and everything I worked for was right there. And not because it's scared you're not taking that opportunity. You're if this is your dream, You're going to get the opportunity one day and you just got to take it and go. And it's not that I really changed my coaching style. I really don't think I changed from an assistant to a head coach. You just have a little bit different responsibilities. You're not the go to with the kids, you're more than intimidating person. The head Everything falls on you. Now know, you kind of question every decision now more. You like your staff is everything. For me, my assistant coach is like to go in everything. I mean, that's the number one thing, having a staff that you trust one hundred percent. And and for me that was probably the hardest decision to make and get right because I think I'm a coach that goes a lot with energy, and the energy that we put goes a lot to our players, So that will step in to step one. And definitely as an assistant, you really start seeing a lot you don't. You really don't know when you're an assistant to the head coach and to see them in responsibilities. The pressure, but at the end of the day, you really have to focus on what you have in front of you. I mean, the pressure of winning a championship is gonna come if you do things the way I mean, it's just the way you believe in them. So the effort, the energy that every day, the really spending time caring for these kids every day and developing them. I mean, I think we came back from our last tournament that we didn't have the best performance, and none of these kids took a day off. I mean, they were all practicing the day after. We're like, we have a championship to win, coach, We're gonna get better. So I think that just tells you a lot of the culture that we build. But just I mean, it's inundating. There's a lot of new things, but I think I've always been someone that is not afraid to ask questions. The move was hard, like everything I've never lived in Arizona, but you just take it day by day and I was very happy to have a lot of great people here that welcomed me. Great and it's really felt like a family for me.
Speaker 3: They always ask the coaches that we kind of really don't know, and we've been Jena, been here forever. What do you think your secret sauce is to being who you are as a coach?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 8: I think it comes a lot with how much I love what I do and how much I give that to a player. The energy I bring. I mean, it doesn't matter if I'm having a bad day, or if something happened personally, or if maybe I'm dealing with the budget cart or cut or whatever happens in athletics nowadays that we don't have any control over. I really don't let that affect how I behave with my kids, and I never let that yeah to get them. So I think, like my energy in and out, it doesn't matter what's happening on the outside, I have no control over. That is something that I would say that who defines me just my positive energy, my just happiness, how much I enjoy this, how much I really want to get better with the kids, and just I love I love what I do, I love coaching, and I to me, what was the best part about this week was just seeing them do better in what we've been working on the whole year. You know, we've seen a little bit of better things, but I mean we also gave away some things. You know, we shout I'm nineteen over As a team, it was a really hard course, but we just saw a lot of things better from every key and maturity and just getting better through the year. And not to me is why I do this? So just the energy, the happiness, what I speak to my kids, I think that could be the secret salt. I mean, think I have anything I would love to say, you know is this, But I really just think my energy and smile and what I bring in and they never feel like I'm stressed or never even though I'm dying inside. I think that's very important.
Speaker 4: You can say that no one listens to us, so no one knows that it's still a secret. Well, let me ask you this, because you know, every coach has their style, Every coach has you know, the way they do things, and you probably learned from a lot of different people. But as a as a coach of a major college program, it is gonna sound like very simple.
Speaker 2: But what do you coach?
Speaker 4: Right? I mean, all these all these players, I'm sure they grew up. Some of them probably grew up with swing coaches and different coaches.
Speaker 2: What do you coach?
Speaker 4: What do you see as your job at this level to make these girls better, both individually and as a team.
Speaker 2: How do you do that? How do you go about that?
Speaker 8: I mean, of course you coach a lot more than you probably people think this is a sport that is very individual. At the end of the day, you know, you never plus a team. Everybody's playing their own ball, their own game, so you kind of have to tackle the sport a little bit individually in a way, like everybody needs to work on different things. A lot of these kids have their own golf coaches, so you kind of work in hand with them, but you're their eyes in their ears, so you honestly have to build a really good relationships with their coaches and the kids so they can trust you as well. But there's a lot more development that goes on here. I mean, from getting them the right equipment, from feeding them, from getting the right numbers. The course management part is the biggest part probably and just making I'm gonna be on women's golf if they feel good, they've played good, so it's all about how they feel if they feel good, if things are going okay, like just things out of their control. They let them affect them a lot, so you can help them navigate through that. But to me as a coach, it's helped me a lot to go out there and see a lot of I mean my former players that I've had on tours that just go to watch them, spend a day with them. You know, why do my kids need to be the best player in the world. What are we like just teach them all of these little things? How do we get better every day? So I think the coaching part there's a lot more going on and going through stats, going through like okay, a little better here. I mean sometimes the golf clubs move and you need to change lives lost and all these little things that take they honestly matter a lot in a game that.
Speaker 14: You put a little ball in a hole. And so we do a lot more with coaching.
Speaker 8: But I feel like coach psychology his mom all at the same time.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, did you did you see I'm sure every coach said will say yes, but did you see this potential in the in the girls a few months ago that this could possibly happen?
Speaker 8: I did you know. I really did. I always thought the conference championship was there. I think the for us, the team to beat was Arizona State rund number eighth. We were against them a couple of times this year, but I thought we had it in it. We were going to We've performed pretty well on courses that are really tough. We knew Houston Oak because they've won with not i mean a lot of strokes last couple of years. So we were like, this is our chance, you know, we just need to be the toughest team, the last prepared team out there. We were seeing a lot of progress from our girls week to week. It was just slowly getting there, and nobody was no There were no five at the same time we had one or two. But we always saw it coming. It was always something reachable. We just really had to take care of our business and not focus on anybody else. But we always saw it. I mean, these are the same kits that we start off and want two tournaments in the fall. So it's not that it's something different. It's just golf really comes and goes sometimes. But it's just a matter of like focusing on what in the process and getting better every day, but it was always possible. But definitely it's definitely something special that even though you can see it until you get it, it's incredible.
Speaker 3: So Jay and I have been doing this for a long time, and I'm gonna throw this at you because we talk about this every now and again. He thinks them full of it, and I think he's full of it. Do you okay, so you win this thing? You win this thing. I don't believe in momentum. He believes in momentum. Now you have what I like to say a nice run. I won't call it momentum. Do you believe in that momentum will carry you forward? Or is it like every gay every match is a different match and you have to prepare for that match. Does that it might explain it all right?
Speaker 8: I mean I do, I do create it. I do believe in momentum, but I believe in momentum more in a round of golf rather than like I mean, honestly anything, Like we have conference championship was now we have two weeks for regionals and then two weeks for Nationals. That's a month and a half away. You know, there's there's a lot of changes there. But I think a lot of these kids had they saw a lot of good things in their games that build confidence. So I think the confidence if there can build a little bit of momentum POSITIVT. But but I mean tomorrow we need to start off practice again because we have regionals. I mean that's the hard part about sports. It's you win something and then you're the next day, you're on the next one, on the next one, and that's that's how it is. So I yes, yeah, especially for golf. I mean Rory won the Masters and then the next next week he's playing another tournament.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So when you when you think of it that way, you know, how do you keep those that confidence we're confidence confidence if you want to call it confidence, if you want to call momentum when you have such a gap between when you play, because I mean, look, I'm not a good golf I'm an okay golfer. But I'll go out and I'll shoot seventy nine one day and then I'll shoot ninety eight the next day. You know, I mean, how do you know, you you're coming off this championship, you want to keep that feeling, But how do you do that with such a gap between when you play.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's not easy. We don't even know where we're going to regionals. You know, it's but at the end of the day, every course is going to be like, hey, good shots, make good puts, keeps are with his dreams. So it doesn't matter where we go, but just keeping that confidence and moment it goes to everyday things. I mean, we're having a team meeting, We're meeting with every kid individually. What do we do great? How can we keep that great going? What do we lack on? How do we work on that in the next two weeks? How do we get better in these areas a little bit? I mean even on the last day of the tournament, we played really bad our Part three the first two days really bad, and we were didn't think the first team was fitting us by nineteen shots on Part three only, and you know, we went to the range. We worked for two hours that came around and we only played the Part three is in our head. We literally play them on the range. What are you gonna hit? Where are you going to bounce it? Just play them? And so all that strategy comes into these two weeks and staying competitive. I mean we're staying and we're I.
Speaker 14: Mean, some of our girls are doing U with open qualifiers.
Speaker 8: So they're staying in golf. I think the most important thing you should do is just staying competitive and playing so qualifying, playing against each other. You're keeping their games sharp and just working on those strengths and the things that we had really good, keep them good, and just those things that lack just get them a little better, but just build on. I hope that answered the question a little bit. Goals can come and go.
Speaker 4: But it does, as you said, it does come and go from sometimes from one holder the next, the next, and certainly when you're talking about a two week gap, it can. It can be all different when you guys show up at the regional.
Speaker 8: No, yeah, I mean it's you see it on too all the time. Every It's not all we will have one winner every week, you know, or like Victor Hoblin is the cutting one week and then one the next week. Thank you. This is how crazy these sport is so but we cannot control that right now. We cannot control what's going to happen or how the teams all their teams are going to perform or that. But we can definitely do a resting today at getting better tomorrow doing like and I think that's what we've done good the.
Speaker 14: Process that we built and one bad day doesn't define you.
Speaker 8: It doesn't. It just a learning experience. We move on. I mean even this experience with huge experience of us. I mean we were we thought we gave it away the whole week. The girls played amazing, but we shot like seven eight over on the last couple holes every day. Yeah, the so we thought we give it. Even the last day, we thought we give it away. But everybody was finishing. We didn't know what was happening. We were waiting, and I told my girls, you guys know, like I don't know.
Speaker 14: We might have a chance. We can't do anything about it right now.
Speaker 8: But let's take it. If we get it, let's go warm up. Let's heat balls.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: No, if we do great, If not, I mean it's fine.
Speaker 14: We warmed up.
Speaker 8: We need more balls, but prepare. Don't just be waiting for something to happen. Let's just get ready. And and we did, I mean we did. We were ready for the playoff. We went three way playoff. You never know what can happen. I mean, these kids TCU four part of the last hole or alcohola station is with two bogies, like it happens. It's all so it doesn't end until it's a great learning experience for us. All that, every shot, every kid, everything matters, everything does we.
Speaker 2: It was great to talk to you.
Speaker 3: In fact, I'm gonna get yelled at if I don't say hello for Camille Reeves, she says to yallow, So good luck to you. I'm sure she's taking care of you in a nice way.
Speaker 8: So good luck, thank you so much, and thank you for having me on and very down and go.
Speaker 2: Cat good luck the rest of the way. Thank you, thank you. That was Giovanna Maimon.
Speaker 4: You know, she kept calling them kids, and I'm looking she's looking at her bio. She's been out of college seven years. She's only a little bit older than some of those players. But we should have maybe asked you because because she's young, right then, how that helps you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, well that well, you know we were run we were running along on time. Because it's mentioned in her bio that Rhino at Choa, you know, obviously one of the all time Arizona greats was her hero, and that's probably where she caught the golf bug, right. I've seen somebody like Rana who you know, was a big hero and not only in too, somebody in Mexico and as a professional golfer. And you know what I was going to ask was, if Leon Choy isn't.
Speaker 2: Around, are you? Are you in golf right back?
Speaker 4: Maybe we you know, we do that another time, win a national championship or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll get her over sure. I just like Josh Passer, that's easy. We'll do it again. Exactly. Let's take a break and come back.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise Equickmack Arizona.
Speaker 8: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 2: Of course, to.
Speaker 15: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your bitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 2: Arizona Health the leading edge and extra Guys equipment on.
Speaker 15: Twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home. Then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 2: Arizona Health the lead.
Speaker 15: Manage and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: Craving Tucson's best Burger. The fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 17: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Peyramid Federal Credit Union, where less is More, federally insured and by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Subscribe now to.
Speaker 1: The podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back toying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Jay Gonzalz. Now we have Henriette the keyboard here. We're ready for some calls. Five to zero, four, one, seventy four, forty. Good to hear from you if you can. What's going on this weekend games? NBA starts today and again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well the playoffs are going Showy, his wife is having a baby.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Dodger, I thought I had.
Speaker 2: I forgot about this. It just got announced.
Speaker 4: If you're if you're a Texas Rangers fan and you bought tickets to the weekend series with the Dodgers, you're disappointed because show hey got a left behind. He's not coming to the game. Did you see the homer he hit I think day before yesterday. Not all of us are Dodger fan. Well, he hit it to the back of the right field pavilion. It was really far and it was it was a launch. It was one of those where you thought he hit that too high to go out, and it just was all the way to the back of the right field.
Speaker 2: In fact, who are the end of the league?
Speaker 4: And then they were in third place last night chet Yeah, they went on a little stretcher after they went eight and No, they went like six and six after well, one of our listeners, guy you know, said, next time you have money, ask him how he feels about being in third place.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it. I'm fine with it.
Speaker 4: It's a long season and the Dodger is still the best team, so I'm not You know, look, if you're if you're a baseball fan and you follow a team and you're pissed off because they're in third place right now, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta figure yourself out because that's this is so far. Unless you're a White Sox fan, you know, his season's not over.
Speaker 2: Henry, call nine one one for me.
Speaker 4: This is not ja so much hit dab ja. He's being pregnatic. He's never been pregnantic.
Speaker 2: I will say.
Speaker 4: There's a guy in the breakfast club that I work with that, you know, when the Dodgers were they were six and oh and it went to me, I said, they're going one hundred and sixty two and oh and he just laughed.
Speaker 2: And I haven't seen him since then.
Speaker 4: So hasn't given me a crap about the fact that I think they're fourteen and six.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, yeah, is that happened. Yeah, they're in Texas.
Speaker 4: They're they're they're Yeah, they're at Texas. They just finished the home series. They're on the road for for a little bit. You know what, I'm just side conversation.
Speaker 2: I really don't like.
Speaker 4: Just everybody plays everybody, you know, American and there's no American league.
Speaker 2: In National League anymore, right, everybody plays every old school.
Speaker 4: I really wish it was, you know, one or the other than the two champs play at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: You gotta go play everybody. I don't like that they I mean, the.
Speaker 4: Dodgers, just the fact that they're playing at the Rangers.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't be playing the Rangers.
Speaker 4: They should be playing but this is this has been going on for a couple of years. But they should be playing the Reds and and the Mets and the Astro no Astros in the American League now the Mets, and you know, you know what I'm saying, Yeah, you know, I just I get I get a little nostalgic for that when I see, I mean, the Dodgers open their home season against the Detroit Tigers. What the hell are they doing playing the Detroit Tigers. Henry, do we sell like gold dudes?
Speaker 5: Who just you know, I agree, though, I think that I don't like how they limited the division games, right, you only play your division like thirteen times?
Speaker 2: Oh good?
Speaker 4: I mean every year the Dodgers would open against the Giants, the Reds, the Padres and like a meaningful series games like they want to played two games in Japan against the Cubs, which, okay, you got to play the Cubs anyways, they're nationally. But then you come home and you start your your home season, you start your you know, and it's the Tigers.
Speaker 2: What are we doing playing the Tigers? Well, you beat the crap out of the Yeah they did. Why aren't they playing the Giants?
Speaker 4: Why aren't they opening against the Giants or the Padres or you know, even the crap ass Rockies.
Speaker 2: You know, get a get ahold of the commissioners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it just you know, and and for me, that's a that's a lot of why I think the America the All Star Game has lost its luster too, because there's no rivalry between the two leagues and where you play everybody. And I'm just again, you know, we're gonna die eventually and nobody will be talking about this anymore.
Speaker 2: But I don't I really don't like that at all, even a little bit. When you said I don't like it, I was waiting for it.
Speaker 4: Could have been you could have gone anywhere. Okay, I get it, Okay, Steve, those are things that are in my mind right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, you need to go back on the show. It's baseball season.
Speaker 4: All my wallpapers oh wait, wait, wait, go ahead.
Speaker 2: All my wallpapers are Dodger Stadium. By the way.
Speaker 3: By the way, you haven't seen you since the Final four. I can't wait to take you for you to take me to dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: We Well, if you had had a show last week, we could have gone last week.
Speaker 2: I gotta take it out Sea Snake. Yeah, that game was fantastic. What a game, What a game. I wasn't sure I was gonna win it, but I'm glad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know it was funny because my wife's not listening to this. I took Houston money line.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: It was one one and a half, okay, and I thought it was like one fifteen. And well, I had it in a parlay. I had a two leg parlay. I had the under, which was easy and easy and easy hit. But I had Houston money line and the line was one and a half, so they're getting down to the end. I said, please don't lose by one. Please don't lose by one. Please don't lose by one. Because if they'd have lost by one and I had taken the spread, I would have hit and then they lost by two. And so I'm like, Okay, I felt better about that, So thank you for about myself. Oh you want to hear the said kod of all ko ds. So I do that immaculate grid.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that? Okay, I do the immaculate grip. I do it every day with my son and a couple of the guys and we'll do it. So it was a.
Speaker 4: Cincinnati Red's second basement. Was the All you had to do is play one game at second base was the category. And of course everybody's gonna say Joe Morgan, right, and so the is to try and get somebody that not everybody takes, to get the lowest number. A lot of these I think when I see these things come up, I think of base my baseball cards when I was a kid, and I remember having Tommy Helm's baseball card.
Speaker 2: It was a second basement for the Reds back.
Speaker 4: In the seventies, late sixties, early seventies maybe, And I thought of him, and I put it and I put him in there and I hit it and right, he was like a one percent of people who guess that category guessed him. And it was on whatever morning, it was a Saturday or Sunday morning, and like an hour later on Twitter it comes out that he died.
Speaker 3: Henry, make sure this is the last time you see him, Like, what.
Speaker 2: Did Will Smith? What did get my name out of your mouth? Exactly? Don't even think about it. I'm like like, I'm like, I can imagine his family going. He was fine this morning. What happened? It was?
Speaker 4: He died like an hour after I put him in my Macula grid crazy, I'm going to change my number when you text you know what, I don't.
Speaker 2: I do not blame you even a little bit.
Speaker 4: Who's calling? It's nobody even a little bit. Yeah, yeah, I mean I thought, oh my god, but what am I? What am I doing here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I mean nobody wants to be around me sometimes because of that stuff. Please don't please don't mention my name to anyone.
Speaker 3: So did you so you go to your Wednesday thing? So they turned out to like this season. I'm sure the basketball, yeah, they were fine.
Speaker 4: People are happy again, you know, with the way Caleb finished the season, you know, it's kind of like, okay, now what right that you know that that's the thing you know is mo Creeb is going to be any good? You know? Why did Henry leave money? You know, and and all that. I'm like, guys, there's money. That's my idea that here's my issue.
Speaker 3: Here's my issue because I've heard this more and more that there's a lot of tampering going on and it's a month two left in the season and you already got.
Speaker 4: Calls right over here. This is what we can do for you. Well, the scene is going on, right, and while a school can't go talk to a player, both the school can send people you know in the underground railroad and then they've got their representatives there eight everybody's got an agent.
Speaker 2: Now. That seems so weird. This seems so weird.
Speaker 4: The quarterback from from Tennessee had an agent in high school.
Speaker 2: Did you read that?
Speaker 4: I read I read a some I think somebody athletic wrote a story about the whole thing with him holding out and he stopped going to practice and they said, well, then get the hell out of here, and all that time and then talking about his his agent from high school negotiated his nil deal with Tennessee before he got there, before he even got he got an eight million dollar deal with Tennessee. And then and then you hear then you hear that he wasn't fulfilling his side of it. He wasn't going you know that you're getting paid to do autograph sessions and appearances, and that he would not show it these things. And so Tennessee finally got sick of it and said, okay, as I.
Speaker 2: Should as you.
Speaker 4: If that's who you are, good luck, go see if you can find that deal somewhere.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the that's what it's going to have to be. And that's all other schools are saying.
Speaker 3: If this is who you are and you want more, and we've already given you whatever all of this and then U c l A.
Speaker 2: I guess is going to get him? Is that you see again? Is that where he's going now? The latest, the the latest, and he's going to take money drop.
Speaker 3: I think they're they're not going to pay him two million bucks a year, right, so you know, more power to you, but you know, and.
Speaker 4: It shows, it shows what we're dealing with here with the immaturity of these people that you're giving millions of dollars to no question, you know, to find out that he got this deal and all he has to do is this.
Speaker 2: Basically, all he's got to do is go.
Speaker 4: Turn on the sprinklers and watch him for two million dollars a year. And he didn't even want to do that deep down, Jane, does this surprise you, No, not even a little bit to meal. And that's another reason why I'm not a big right of sports. And that's when you see when you see no Off Flafiita over here holding camps and you know, doing appearances and going you know, and hanging out with kids and all the stuff that he's doing. And I know he's not getting two million bucks a year, but you appreciate, you appreciate what how special it is to have a kid like that, or have a kid like tam Mac you know, and the things that he was doing and some of the players that they get. And that is going to matter so much more anymore, because if you're giving a kid all this kind of money, you got to be sure that not only is he getting his but you're getting what you're paying, right of course, because you're not giving that willy nilly want.
Speaker 2: To And it's limited, right, it's limited. You only have so much.
Speaker 3: No, it's and that's just the way of the world to me. It's just so surprising. And every year, every year, after the end of the season, we're going to continue to go in here, you know, well, what's happened with this guy? What happened with this guys? Are they being talked to? And when you get good players like Tommy Is and everybody else, Houston be what Baylor has no left and he's a it's a pretty good program, right he won the title a couple three years ago.
Speaker 2: And now look at them. I mean, everybody's gonna go through. How did it go for Kansas with Hunter Dickinson? Right? And how much money they gave that guy and what did they get out of that?
Speaker 4: It really is really it seems like it's more magnified at the College of the Then say you give Caleb Williams a bunch of money to go be the quarterback in Chicago and he's only so so and you find well, that's more of a big business.
Speaker 2: And you know you're hit and miss and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But when you when you have the limited amount of money that you have to give at the college level, you give it to a guy and he's not worth a crap, it seems to cost or hurt even more, sure, no question, right, because you threw away the money, yeah, pretty much that you could be given to somebody who who can may have been really good as and as you say, who cared.
Speaker 3: Well, let me say this, it's like Carter Bryant. We think he's a good kid, a very good kid, comes from a great family, YadA YadA. And now he's going to declare, not declare, he's going to go to the draft. You know, good, Look, he's.
Speaker 4: Going to declare he's going to go into the draft and inspect the draft, which he should.
Speaker 3: No question, he should do exactly what he's doing right now. Could he come back, Sure, he might just get as much money coming back then he will in his first year rookie contract.
Speaker 4: And that's the whole idea, you know, that's the whole I go check it out, get all them arm get all the information you can get, you know, to make the right decision for you. And that's what you gotta do and I really you gotta really respect. I love the fact that he said, Okay, I'm gonna all sign this deal. You know, he signed this this uh, this compensation deal, but I'm gonna go check this out. And and love Tommy saying go go figure it out, because because if he decides to come back, you want him to be all in sure right, not wondering what if, you know, should I have done this or that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So anyways, just like that, we got to go the first hour. Okay, we're gonna get breaking news from Henry, they're gonna get ahold of Justin Spears from the Daily Star, and then we'll run through that hour two, all right,