Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I Am six forty. It's Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and joining me in the studio is Latin Grammy Award winner, Grammy Award winner Friends of the Show Impresario Music. I don't know the word I should even think of Prodigy, Corey Henry, my brother, my friend.
Speaker 2: It is good to see you again. How are you? I heard you? Just like got off a plane, ran over here.
Speaker 4: I just got off a playing man.
Speaker 5: I just had to, you know, make it over here, just in time to be with you and a good family over here.
Speaker 4: Man. Just so glad to be in the number one with Tomes. Thanks for having me on the show.
Speaker 3: You have what moved that, Mike just a little bit to your left so it's not obscuring your face because we're on YouTube as well.
Speaker 2: There I go, Yeah, there I go, There I go, There I go.
Speaker 3: You have a show coming up on Easter evenings, Yes, at Miracle in Inglewood, which is gonna be from six thirty to ten thirties.
Speaker 2: It's in the evening hours, not like a Sunrise service. Said goodness.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's out of sunrise.
Speaker 5: You get to still go to your church, do whatever you're gonna do, dress up, have fun with your family. But if you don't, got no plans on Easter Sunday night, make some plans to be with me. We're gonna play some music. We got some food. We hav an Easter dinner.
Speaker 2: Waitee. You said food, food, You have me at food.
Speaker 5: I thought I would good old soul food for Sunday east of Sunday night.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be cool, man.
Speaker 5: I got some friends, friends gonna come out, great band, horn players, it's a whole no your name, it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 3: When you say you have some friends, I went to your pre Grammy party. And when you say friends, you never know who might walk in. Yeah, who might grab the microphone? And I know when you're in like what I'll call a church setting. You know, it's at Miracle Theater, but it's like a church setting. It's a service. They could be anyone in that room who can take that microphone and blow yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I like to look at it.
Speaker 5: Actually, you know, so it's a concert, but the concert is kind of geared towards the spirit of God and the gift of music, you know, just like celebrating music in the way that everybody could get to it. And to your point with the Grammy uh uh pre celebration, it was crazy. Avery Wilson got up there. Every sunshine I got up there. Yeah, uh both Avery uh tore it up.
Speaker 6: Robert Glasper yes, uh Glasberg got up there.
Speaker 4: Who else? Uh?
Speaker 5: Man so many, Shalah McDonald got up there, Torda, Melvin Crispell Junior got up there. It was an amazing night, the Baylor Project, you know, Marcus Baylor.
Speaker 2: It was an amazing night Standard Romola. I was standing in the corner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Crazy, stay in the room only, but I had such a great time and I and I remember at the end of the night for me was like the the start of Uh I guess where I am tonight? Where we are today? Rather because I remember just the create at the end of that night. You know that I'm a winner and and I'm glad to.
Speaker 4: Have one the Grammy for my album Church.
Speaker 2: I love it. There's a spirit of humility.
Speaker 3: But the last time you came in on the show, I should say the first time came in before the Grammys, you made it very clear.
Speaker 2: I want to win.
Speaker 7: I want to win.
Speaker 8: I want to win.
Speaker 6: There's nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with it. It is a competition. I think we all is a competition, and I'm not in it to lose. It's nice to be nominated, but and.
Speaker 5: Being nominated is also a win, Like I mean, there's millions of albums that are like submitted, you know, every year, and to be nominated is a win. So like I've always appreciated and never give up the fact that, like you know, I've already won, but to actually bring it home and you know, and bring the whole thing together is like whoa.
Speaker 4: It fulfills another whole joy in my soul.
Speaker 3: Going back to Miracle Theater Easter evening, how do you foresee that night going? Do you have a set list where you know I'm going to play this, this is this, or You're gonna let the spirit guide you.
Speaker 2: Wherever it leads you is where you're gonna end up.
Speaker 5: I always come in with a game plan, right, and I'm still working on it. The bands have now grown tremendously in the last four days. I just started asking my friends and more with my friends I was like, man, could you come out? And I was like, oh, if I got this many people, we can go ahead and do this many things. So I come up with a game plan. But somewhere in the middle, if not the top of the concert, you know, the spirit does take over and I try to play the things that the spirit tells me to play. So it's always about that. It's always about following the spirit and trying to touch the people with the music.
Speaker 3: When you come in and you sit down and you see maybe a person who didn't expect to see there, and it fills your heart, does it make you play you just to make you play differently. I know when I would perform and I like, oh my mama's out there, or someone's like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Someone said they weren't sure they were gonna be able to make it and they end up making it, and it just changes your whole countenance.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like when it happens on the like when it's spontaneous, you know, because normally when I'm playing shows, my eyes is closed or I'm kind of like zoned.
Speaker 4: In at the egg I get that, or I'm looking at something very random.
Speaker 5: But once I start to like recognize people in the performance and something like that does happen. It makes me happy and want to play harder.
Speaker 3: Let's see, are we plugged it in and hit a key or something. Okay, we'll get the we'll get the ampliphone amplifier fixed in just a second. We'll do that during the break. It's four hours long, six thirty to ten thirty. I think of it like being a revival where got a little bit of music, maybe some testimony, and maybe you know, you might even open the doors to the churches.
Speaker 2: Is there one maybe?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 5: I think for me, you know, we got a few hours because as I mentioned earlier, there's a food portion, there's a fellowship portion in which, you know, I want a fellowship.
Speaker 4: I want to be, you know, with the people.
Speaker 5: And then there's also like an after show portion, after party if you will, portion where you know, you know, son, no homies and friends go, I want to hang out. We're going to hang out afterwards. So I got a program to night to just be like, oh, we're going to be hanging all night. You know, if you don't got nowhere to go, you can kind of be with us. And and we have you know, a program of a bunch of things happening alongside with the music that I really feel really great about.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be just a good time.
Speaker 2: So tell me one song that you know you're going to perform.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: One song I know I'm going to perform is Praise God. That's one of my favorite ones. You know, it's a really simple, really simple song, but it touches me every day.
Speaker 4: It's like a daily mantra.
Speaker 3: I know that you are an exceptional singer, but you don't in other words, sometimes I think it gets lost in your musical virtuosity.
Speaker 2: Oh we're hot. Now, wait a minute, what happened?
Speaker 8: At?
Speaker 2: What changed?
Speaker 8: We just had?
Speaker 3: Has some We'll fix it during the break, because we've got to make sure we get you on this show.
Speaker 2: This is a live show, so stuff happens.
Speaker 4: It's on.
Speaker 3: Good all right. Well, how do you know? I lost my train of thought? So you know, why does your voice get lost? I think in your virtuosity? Do you is it something that you personally take as much pride in as you're playing or is it your secondary to your playing?
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's the same.
Speaker 5: I look at at now singing as if I'm playing. Actually my singing to me now is over my playing. Really, I think it's harder for people to get that and grasp that because I spent the better part of my life playing in front of people and just you know, being an instrumentalist and going viral for being an instrumentalist.
Speaker 4: So whenever you change, whenever.
Speaker 5: You start to do something different, people are like, WHOA, why aren't you still taking solos?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I've been singing since I was a kid.
Speaker 5: I started singing in church when I was like, you know, six seven years old, and it's not new to me per se to be singing out now in the world, you know, as a career. So I feel like the voice kind of touches people and it gets to people closer than any instrument. I think most people can get with it. And I'd spent a lot of time listening to some of my favorite singers and just trying to shed my singing chops, and some people get with it, hopefully. And if you're doing it's okay because I'm a singer.
Speaker 2: Now, can I get you to play us out to the break?
Speaker 3: Corey Henry joins us in studio at Corey Henry On social media. Legendary Grammy Award winning, Latin Grammy Award winning.
Speaker 2: He has a.
Speaker 3: Performance Easter performance at the Miracle Theater in Inglewood, right around the corner from my house. Basically, uh Easter Sunday, six thirty pm. I'm going to be giving away a pair of tickets to it. Next segment, Corey, do what you do?
Speaker 4: What Our favorite songs on the church.
Speaker 5: Reggor Praise Gone, Praise Gone.
Speaker 9: Praising the Mooning, Praising, prayse God, Praise Gone, Praising Sun Pray, Pray Gone, Prasraisday, Praise.
Speaker 8: Praise Sun goes.
Speaker 9: Yah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, can I am sixporting?
Speaker 2: Also YouTube, We're live everywhere in the whole damn world.
Speaker 1: You're listening to later with Mo Kelly on de maw from k f I A M six forty.
Speaker 8: Can if I am exporting Corey Henriett Studio.
Speaker 5: The song has been the phrase then the mass, since the death, when the praises go up, that's been the best since some death. Ay, and I got a little message where everybody listening.
Speaker 7: So God's got a blessing with your name.
Speaker 9: Morning.
Speaker 7: God's got a blessing with your name.
Speaker 5: Morning.
Speaker 7: God's got a blessing with your name.
Speaker 5: God's got a blessing with your name morning. So what let us pray God? Oh, blessing, No blessing.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm gonna getting away if I say anything. That's the Cory.
Speaker 10: Henry Latin Grammy Award winner, Grabby Award winner for his album Church.
Speaker 2: Were speaking of church Sunday as.
Speaker 8: In Eastern Sunday.
Speaker 3: He's going to be performing at the Miracle Theater. We're gonna be giving away tickets in just a few moments. Look, I'm sorry that even got in the way of your groove because we were ready to go to church. I'm gonna let it cook a little. So are you available like every week? See me every week on Let me ask you this. They couldn't see during the break, but you were fiddling during the break. You were working it out during the break. You were working with some melodies and some harmonies. What was that process like? Explain to me what you were doing during the break.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 5: I once she said we're gonna you're gonna're gonna play some music to come back in, my mind just started racing about what I can do in the moment, and I got this is one of my favorite little pieces of equipment over here.
Speaker 4: The NPC and uh, and I was like, oh, I want to just do a jam from my album.
Speaker 3: Okay for those who are old and I'm sorry to interrupt you, but this reminds me of this classic Cosby Show episode where the Cosmy Kids meet Stevie Wonder and they start creating music. In that moment, if I were to say to you, Corey Henry, you've performed with Stevie Wonder, so there's a tie in here, and that's let's let's say we're gonna make some music together. How would you start if I say, give me a beat to work with. Give me example of how you create a beat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I come on here and I would find a sound that I like, right, and then after I find a sound, I would pull up the measure of the bars. I tap a tempo out over here, you know, and then I'm just like you know, and then I'm like, record to what couple text based online or core progression right now? Because you said base, the base is coming next, okay, yeah know, and then.
Speaker 4: They can do kind of this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: You need to be watching this on YouTube, y'all.
Speaker 4: You know it's a little based m m hmmm hm.
Speaker 9: Hm.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then there's maybe a little and.
Speaker 2: So would you.
Speaker 4: Let's see, let's see that's a little course.
Speaker 5: Mm let's find a better sound. Got a bass according and then maybe guitar.
Speaker 8: Okay, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Hear it endless, it could be leap on.
Speaker 8: You can hear the guitar part. Let's talk. I've got the podcastle.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I could do it all day, but you do do all that all day?
Speaker 8: I do, and I get.
Speaker 4: Lost and then you know it'd be like three hours later, all right.
Speaker 3: And for those who may not know, if they've never been to a Black church, when I say black church, I'm talking about Amme Kojik, Southern Baptist, what have you. There's a tradition and music is very, very prominently featured in that. And I always talk about when I'm talking to certain groups, you know, the salvific quality of gospel music.
Speaker 2: You have the minister and he will be going through his servant.
Speaker 3: He'll start hooping, as they say, and then usually the organists will come behind him and start complementing what he or she is saying.
Speaker 2: And I know you've done that before.
Speaker 3: If I would ask you to give me something like that.
Speaker 4: What would you do oh man, I'm always made at hoopie.
Speaker 5: Know mean okay, I mean, you know, just going to a church and heard it a lot, you know, so you know church.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll help you outside. Well, we are in the church today, y'all.
Speaker 3: Yes we are, and we got Corey Henry in the studio.
Speaker 8: Flow on from New York, I think I be.
Speaker 4: I'm all the way from Brooklyn. I just got off the plane. I don't know where you came from.
Speaker 3: When I'm glad to see you're here in the studio tonight.
Speaker 7: I'm so glad to be back my third time.
Speaker 4: And not only here's my third time, but I came back with a keyboard. Yes I did. I already to play some music for all the people.
Speaker 2: That's what we're talking about. I can show you better, I can tell you all right.
Speaker 3: You can be performing at the Miracle Theater on Market Street in Eaglewood Easter Sunday evening from six thirty to around ten thirty. And I say from around ten thirty, because you never know, the spirit starts moving and all of a sudden, you just there.
Speaker 5: We can be in there. I ain't trying to hold you all night, but we can be in there. We're gonna have a good time. I'm looking forward to having a good time with everybody. How manybodies?
Speaker 3: Everybody? Can we give away a pair of ticks to somebody?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, what I'm gonna do is, I'm gonna open up the phones right now. Stefan help me. I'm gonna open up the phones.
Speaker 3: We're gonna give away a pair of twos to see Corey Henry Henry Easter Sunday evening, six thirty pm at.
Speaker 2: The Miracle Theater in Inglewood. Call her number six. Get call her number six.
Speaker 10: You get to see Grammy Award winning Latin Grammy Award winning celebrated the world over, Corey Henry.
Speaker 2: Call her number six. Cory's just been here all the time.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Hey, Corey, why don't you play us out for this segment?
Speaker 4: All right? All right, all right?
Speaker 2: What are we going to go to break with?
Speaker 9: Oh? Man?
Speaker 4: All right, let's try this one. Uh let's check us out on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You got to see this to believe it.
Speaker 4: MS do my Grandmama's favorite song. Okay, I've got to get into this quickly. Let's see.
Speaker 2: Now you got time?
Speaker 4: Oh I do?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you got time? It it's my show. Into it this one thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: That's all right, it's live too. He's creating on the fly.
Speaker 4: Is my grandma. My favorite song.
Speaker 7: Makes no difference.
Speaker 5: But the problem. I can go to God in proud Yes, I haven't.
Speaker 7: Bless you it assurance. I can go to Guy improd.
Speaker 5: He will turn out glooming sunnings, turning.
Speaker 7: In to lie Hi heven. Never he would always come to kick me.
Speaker 2: And now I'm on with it.
Speaker 5: You can go to Guy and I can call it. I can call when I need our father.
Speaker 7: Up in heaven.
Speaker 5: I can go to God and pray. I can go to Garden Brown. I gotta tell you that he can break it out. He can work it out. Everybody says, yes, it can, Yes can, yes can, Oh, yes I can out of out of town, I can break it out.
Speaker 4: Everybody said yes again, yes.
Speaker 5: I can, Yes I can.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 5: I can't call him. I can call him whenever I need him, our father up in heaven.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 5: I can't go to God and prayer. I can't go to God and prayer. I think I said one more time. I can call him when and if I need him.
Speaker 7: I'm a father up in heaven. I can go.
Speaker 5: Gotten prem a game, go din't gotten prend.
Speaker 2: Call at number six.
Speaker 3: You're going to see Corey Henry at the Miracle Theater on Easter Evening.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 2: Mm care Fire, Corey Henrimoe, Killing.
Speaker 7: Sunshine, don't come without ray.
Speaker 5: And that's okay, that's okay, loveing magic with thou pay. So we keep trying, We keep trying it anyway. Please don't fugging.
Speaker 7: FuG live in fall.
Speaker 5: Please don't FuG it.
Speaker 4: What your fighting phone?
Speaker 2: Live everywhere in the iHeart radio app and YouTube. Go ahead, Corey, We're only got three more minutes of the show.
Speaker 8: So do you think we live on day tune? That's m kelly.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 7: Is nothing that's gonna change.
Speaker 5: So don't waste it. Don't you waste it. Hate It's fair, that is not take until we keep trying. We keep trying anyway. Please don't fall again.
Speaker 8: What your.
Speaker 7: Living fall? Please don't far again, what your.
Speaker 8: Fighting fall?
Speaker 7: Please don't.
Speaker 5: Fuck it for job.
Speaker 7: Living fall. Please don't fully.
Speaker 1: Then your.
Speaker 7: Fighting fall.
Speaker 3: Performing Easter Evening at the Miracle Theater six thirty, ten thirty. Yeah, get Inklewood still get tickets look Pory Henry dot com.
Speaker 2: I gotta see this on YouTube to see him play live.
Speaker 7: Please don't fuck it.
Speaker 5: Fog jop.
Speaker 7: Live in fun.
Speaker 9: Please don't fucking it?
Speaker 7: Why your five a phone? Please don't fuck it?
Speaker 4: What you?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 5: Don't fuck it?
Speaker 7: Fighting?
Speaker 8: Wow? How about that?
Speaker 3: The final word is yours, Corey hen We were always blessed, and I mean that that's the correct word. Blessed to have you join us and share your spirit with us, share your genius with us. It always gets better and better. And people don't know. This is the third time been on the show and we finally we got you to play because the first time we didn't have time to get it together. The second time you brought your keyboard. I didn't know you had your keyboard.
Speaker 6: We were ready for your play, but it was like under the table. I didn't even know. Now we got it right. Yeah, and I brought the right keyboard.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 3: The other time I know it worked out. It worked out. My brother, my friend keep tickling the keys. I am inspired by you and threw you again Miracle Theater, Yes, April twentieth, Easter Sunday evening, Corey Henry, And I'll just say and friends.
Speaker 2: It's a celebration. All ages are welcome.
Speaker 5: All ages, bring the family, bring everybody, Bring your next door neighbor, you know, tell everybody.
Speaker 2: How many bodies are gonna be there.
Speaker 5: Everybody's going to be I'm right, alright, good time, really looking forward to it, Corey.
Speaker 4: This is not for having me. Thanks last time. It's not the last time.
Speaker 5: It can't be okay, Yeah, yeah, we're going to do this, Yes, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's later with Mokelly, can't. I am six forty. We're live everywhere the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 8: Well, we're about to tell you.
Speaker 3: K f I KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Live
Speaker 8: Everywhere on the Heart Radio App.