Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of November eleventh, we are discussing the second episode of the new season of Shrinking.
Speaker 3: It is called I.
Speaker 2: Love Pain, which funds it Gone, which turns out to be a coping strategy that Paul gives Sean, which he needs to use because he's afraid of Liz. He basically it is the may rely just a little bit the main reason for that. So so yeah, that's that's the title. Uh, there's obviously plenty more going on in this episode.
Speaker 1: For pretty lots, there's lots of pain.
Speaker 2: Gabby's in pain because she, you know, can't be with Jimmy anymore because she caught feelings, as she says, and she feels like he took advantage of that, and they have what's really kind of an alarmingly physical fight over it.
Speaker 3: Like I was kind of like, oh, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: You know, I was a little Yeah, well, she has to see his underwear, yeah, or the uh, the sex that underwear. It would be that he had plans, yes, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So and even you know, his friend Brian's mad because he finds out about this whole thing, and he's like, how could he not tell? How could Jimmy not tell me? I'm supposed to be his best friend. Everyone else seems to know.
Speaker 3: That this is happening.
Speaker 1: Pay attention you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's busy being in Newlywood. That's right.
Speaker 1: And we have an apparently brilliant solution for the problem of Connor mooning over Alice, right, which is summer summer summer? Who says, who is that delicious sad boy? I'll give him a growth moment so and you know, but Alice introduces them and Connor just flips right over. Yeap would appear to be while Liz and Derek wonder if they can pay her to have sex.
Speaker 2: Person, I don't know, yeah, they may not.
Speaker 1: Need to, yes, yeah, yeah incentive. But one thing that I noticed of interest is that Ted McGinley is now in the opening credits who plays Derek. He was not in season one, so we will be seeing if he works as well as a steady presence as he did as periodic seasoning, right, I think so? I think that character is kind of delightful and such a nice counterpoint to Liz.
Speaker 2: Yes, but who needs a counterpoint?
Speaker 1: Yes, very much? So, oh well, so happy to see him. And he was very funny spying on Jimmy just all the time. Right, These people are kind of dangerously up in one another's business. They are not you know, we can Gabby last time last week, but this week it's Derek and Jimmy. Right, but how can you resist? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, and we can. We can certainly relate to you know, Sean being afraid of disappointing his his mother figure Liz. You know, it's not just that she funded his his and she works with him on the on the food truck, and Derek gave a lot of the money for it. But you know, she definitely has a maternal role to him and to Alice, and so he needs he needs a real pep talk from Paul the Harrison Ford character, to to confront Liz about how he does not want to be, uh do an interview with a food blogger.
Speaker 1: Right because the food blogger wants to talk about him being a vet and he is avoiding.
Speaker 2: That, right, which I kind of thought, you know, last week it was all about how you have to confront these things, you can't shrink away from them, and this week the problem was avoiding the confrontation with Liz, not not avoiding confronting your past. So I did think that Paul was going to tell him, you have to talk to this, But.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I'm going to try that that little visualization thing that you mentioned next time. I have a difficult thing to confront and see if it works. See if TV psychologist Tarys and Port really out what it takes. He certainly is not doing super great managing his own life at the moment.
Speaker 2: So right, Yeah, although By the end of the episode, he has decided it's okay for him to be friendly with his former patient, does which I know that guy is from Cougartown and Scrubs.
Speaker 3: Yeah was in Cougartown, wasn't.
Speaker 1: He's definitely Scrubs.
Speaker 3: He's a Bill Lawrence guy.
Speaker 1: He's in the Bill Lawrence Repertory Company. But it feels like that character is just an excuse to have Neil Flynn on. But that's fine. I like him any excuse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, so you could use a friend, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in the season long plot about what Summer has now called double D the drunk driver who killed Alice's mother, and we like Jimmy will uncomfortably adopt that naming convention for Brett Goldstein's character. But Jimmy, being a trained, you know, therapist and knowing exactly how to broach difficult things just as soon as as she's as Alice is celebrating it in her driver's license, tells her, oh, by the way, the drunk driver kills your mom stopped.
Speaker 2: Right, speaking of cars, He says something.
Speaker 1: Like oh Jimmy, oh dear, yeah, yeah, and then Derek later calls him on.
Speaker 3: It, Yeah, because he was paid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So then she broods on that for a while and doesn't want to drive, and then finally she does, and she drives over to the guy's house, which she knows where it is. How public records, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, Yeah, I mean I guess if he was you know, he was arrested and yeah, somehow, you know, prosecuted for this, So I guess she could find out that way.
Speaker 1: He still lives in the same place, but don't ask questions. Yeah, she finds his house. She's written him a letter, and she finds his house, and then she sits and looks in the window. So Brett Goldstein gets about fifteen seconds of through the window at work this week. But still she's kind of messed up about.
Speaker 3: Her Yeah, well as one would be. One would be for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is good advice to write a letter and not send it like, good job, Summer.
Speaker 3: The only one.
Speaker 1: Who's into the rescue, right and left here on some good psychological advoice, and I'll take that mooney boy off your hands.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, she's she's the only one who's.
Speaker 2: Not a trained psychologist in Alice's life.
Speaker 1: Who is They might want to annex her. Do they have room for a junior associate?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You avoid hard conversations because they can be painful. Is certainly a line I can relate to. Yes, you bleep, and well bet I do?
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't I.
Speaker 1: Don't we all? And I guess we got I assume this was supposed to be the explanation for the scrunchies on Gabby's lamp. Yeah, they were from Tia had them scene with Tia. That actress gets a lot of work for a dead person. But I was fine with them just being a whimsical design element. Honestly, I wasn't wondering. I wonder if there's really a reasonable line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder if they have some special meeting.
Speaker 2: But that just gave you, you know, more insight into why it's not a good idea for them to be sleeping together Gabby and Jimmy. Yes, because Tia was her very close friend.
Speaker 1: Right, we're having a whole family thing now for Gabby. They're building her out into a difficult family. She has a difficult sister who's talking about their difficult mother. So we're gonna have some parenting content there.
Speaker 2: Boy, yes, which we haven't seen really anything with that.
Speaker 1: Plus we have her throwing us a bone. You know, I need some parenting content. Girls, there you go.
Speaker 2: We also have her student, who we thought we were going to see more of, which I still think we will, but.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to seeing the student's mother and feeling solidarity. I feel so seen over involved mothers of college. Yes, as an old person, I enjoyed when Sean I guess was texting Paul and said, it's almost seven, you're probably already.
Speaker 2: And then he voiced to text him like something that Paul has to scroll through for twenty minutes to.
Speaker 3: Get to the end of Yes, that was.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I won't say I've never been nabbing on the couch at seven. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then he misses his window with his doctor friend.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah several times.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: She's very patient, but she's also like I'm not waiting around for you, you know what I mean, Like, yes, this is yes, and she needs to go to bed at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Oh yeah. We still have the ongoing thing of his patient being in jail. Grace. We're just gonna like see her every episode to say, hey, you remember that really bad choice we made back again the last season. You just have to name check it every now and then we just dispense with it all together. Yeah, it'll be fine. Some more work, for a little bit more work, and then we're out of here.
Speaker 2: But okay, I mean, and she's she's doing a great job of like being angry and sad and.
Speaker 3: Scared and all the all the feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whole little mini drama there, which I wish I had never.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, exactly, Maybe.
Speaker 1: She should write a letter.
Speaker 3: No, she should have done that before.
Speaker 1: We also found it find out that her horrible husband was not just abusive and a jerk, but having an affair with a coworkers. So is it too late for that guy to have been killed in the fall? Is it too late? Does he still have to be around? Because because no, you please dispense with the subplot asab more Brett Goldstein. Yeah, less less that guy stakes of the previous season, right, So it's a simple request.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see what happens next week. We will discuss the third episode of season two. Just as a reminder, we're a few weeks behind when these are dropping on Apple TV Plus. So the third episode is called Psychological something.
Speaker 1: Is more psychologist humor Whoo.
Speaker 2: That's right, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.