Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome to Pastor Rick Warren's Daily Hope. Now we're going to continue our series today called building My Life on Values that last, and Rick will press on and show us how we benefit when we apply the Biblical principles of trust, self control, balance, respect forgiveness, moral purity, fairness, honesty, and love to our lives. And now let's join Rick as he shares the final part of a message called accepting responsibility.
Speaker 2: The average American spends six hours a week in shopping related activities. Some of you blow that statistic out of the water.
Speaker 3: I know you know, I've seen you.
Speaker 2: You know, when the tough, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping, you know. And and yet it's interesting, by the way, that the more educated you are, the more you shop.
Speaker 3: So some of you go, see, honey, I'm smart. See I'm really smart.
Speaker 2: I'm getting ready to go out on a little educational field trip, darling.
Speaker 3: God says, that's dumb.
Speaker 2: If you're spending all your money and you're not saving anything. Look at what it says. Let's read Proverbs twenty one twenty with great guilt. Okay, y, let's read it aloud. The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spins whatever he gets, ouch.
Speaker 3: Spends whatever he gets.
Speaker 2: Now you say, Rick, why you're making a big deal of this, because did you know that the number one cause of divorce is not adultery, It's not having an affair. The number one cause of divorce is not abuse, its debt. Fifty four percent of the divorces in America occur over financial pressures. We have now decided that the marriage vow is till debt do us part. And God says that's not very smart. Now, let me just get real honest with you. I read a survey this week that said most baby boomers are going to be flat broke in retirement and they're going to live in abject poverty. Why because they're not saving anything. Are you teaching your kids how to save? Are you teaching them how to make little three little banks or three little boxes and you divide up and allowances. This is for spending, This is for tithing, giving back to God. This is for savings. And when they get over, you get them, open them a bank account, and you teach them how to give, how to save, and how to spend. More important, are you modeling that or is everything just going out the door? Regardless of how little your income is. You need to learn to live on a margin where you live on less than you make so you can put away some to save. God says, that's being responsible. Somebody asked John D. Rockefeller, who at one time was the world's wealth this man, how did you amass such a fortune? He said, It's real simple. I've abided bye all my life, he said. I give the first ten percent as a tithe back to God. I save ten percent, and I live on the other eighty percent.
Speaker 3: Not a bad starting point.
Speaker 2: I would suggest that if you were being haphazard in your finances, that you might start that agenda returning the first ten percent to Goddess, he says, saving ten.
Speaker 3: Percent and learning to live on the rest.
Speaker 2: Why the Bible says this, The fool thinks only about having a good time now, And like it or not, God uses money to test you.
Speaker 3: He is testing your responsibility.
Speaker 2: And when he looks at your finances some of those rewards in heaven and those responsibilities in heaven, God's going to say, were you responsible with what I gave you here on earth? And the Bible also says to whom much is given, much is required. So you want to be responsible, start saving your money.
Speaker 3: Number two.
Speaker 2: If you want to be responsible, one of the ways is by controlling my reactions. By controlling my reactions, well, before we get in this point, here's what I want to do today. I want you to rate yourself on each of these four areas. Now we're not gonna go one to ten, but let's just use a kind of thumbs up or thumbs down. It's like a plus sign means this is under control in my life. It's doing great and I feel good about it. Minus means major warning here, I'm not being very responsible. So give yourself a plus or minus in the area of the money right now. Okay, plus sign means yeah, we're saving, we have a consistent plan for saving, spend and giving or being no, we have no consistent plan, or we're not saving. Give yourself a minus now. No peaking. Okay, don't peak anybody that would be irresponsible. Okay, write that down now. Number two second way by controlling my reactions. Earlier we talked about that you cannot control the events. You can't control the things, the tragedies that happen to you. But you can control your response and reaction. So God says, if you want to be responsible, maturity and responsibility are evident in your life. When you can handle the pressures, the stresses, the problems, the pains of life without losing it, without becoming stressed out, without becoming angry and blowing up, without shrinking into depression. And he says, when people hurt you, he says, you turn around and you do good to him.
Speaker 3: He says, the key to.
Speaker 2: Responsibility is learn to control your emotional reactions. Notice these verses. A fool expresses all his emotions, but a wise person controls them.
Speaker 3: Do you do that?
Speaker 2: Of course, the way that we usually express our emotions is through our words, And so Jesus tells us in the Book of Matthew, people will be responsible for every careless word they've said.
Speaker 3: I don't like that verse.
Speaker 2: That's one of the ones I wish God had left out of the Bible, because honestly, it says, I, Rick Warren am going to be held responsible for every careless word I've said. God is judging the responsibility of my mouth and yours too. So if you want to be responsible, he says, you need to put your mind in gear before you put your mouth in motion. You need to think before you speak. That's being responsible.
Speaker 3: Are you are you?
Speaker 2: Are you just a blabber mouth? You just say anything that floats through your mind, whether whether it's going to hurt anybody or not, whether it's the right time or not. Says control my reactions. Look at the next verse. Don't let evil get the best of you, but conquer evil by doing good.
Speaker 3: He's saying there.
Speaker 2: One of the ways you show responsibility is by not trying to get even with people.
Speaker 3: Who hurt you.
Speaker 2: See, when somebody shams you or rips you off, somebody maligns you, slanders you, somebody steals from you, somebody abuses you or hurts you. When you try to get even with that person, you know what you've done. You've just lowered yourself to their standard. You are even with them, and a person who tries to get even is no better than the person who just did the wrong. Because you're even, you're trying to get even. But when you forgive that person and you move on and say, God, I'm gonna let you take care of it, I know you're gonna settle the score.
Speaker 3: And I trust you to do that.
Speaker 2: That puts you in a superior moral position because you let God settle the score, which and he, by the way, has better rea sources than you do to do it. And so you say, God, I'm going to return good for evil rather than evil for evil. I'm not going to try to get even somebody shuts me out of a car pool lane or something like that. I'm not going to try to get back at them. I realize that what they reap, they'll sew and they'll eventually God'll get even with them. But God, I'm going to return good for evil. That is responsible, that's controlling your reactions. So I want you to rate yourself on this one. Number two, When people tick you off, what.
Speaker 3: Do you do?
Speaker 2: Irresponsible actions are either to a blow up or b clam up. Both of them are wrong. Those are inappropriate ways to deal with anger. Either become a skunk you smell up the place, or a turtle you withdraw in and hide.
Speaker 3: God does it tell you to be.
Speaker 2: A turtle or a skunk. There are appropriate ways to respond with anger. He says, you do it in calmness, in love, and in truth. Give yourself a plus or minus on that one.
Speaker 3: Okay. Number three The third way that.
Speaker 2: We can be more responsible of just this list I just picked is by guarding my mind. By guarding my mind, God has given you your mind, and the Bible says, as a man thinks in his heart, so is he are. Our minds control everything else. They influence our thoughts, can affect our feelings, and our feelings affect our actions. So it all starts up here. Now, let me.
Speaker 3: Relieve you of a little false guilt.
Speaker 2: You are not responsible for every little stray thought that flits or passes through your mind, aren't you glad of that? Whow Okay, You are not responsible for every little thought that's gone through your mind, because those can come from all different things. Conversations you over here, by accident, things that you see by accident. The devil puts thoughts in your mind, Oh yeah, all the time, when the devil, when Satan gives you a thought that's called temptation. When God puts a thought in your mind that's called inspiration.
Speaker 3: And both God and the devil are trying to talk to you all the time.
Speaker 2: They're trying to, you know, give you ideas, good ones from God, bad ones.
Speaker 3: From the devil.
Speaker 2: And so you're not responsible. Martin Luther once said it like this. He said, you can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you can't keep them from building a nest in your hair. And what you are responsible for are the thoughts that you choose to hold on to and go over and over and over in your mind. The one goes through your mind. Oh, let's think about that one for a while. Like jealousy, like resentment, and a number and number of other things. Oh, I like I feel good about feeling so prideful about this situation and other things. You are not responsible for all your thoughts, but you are responsible for what you choose to allow in your mind through your eyes and through your ears, through the eyegate, the irgate, and God is going to hold you accountable for what you think about by allowing to let indo your mind. Now, this is an area, honestly, that many of you who've been Christians ten twenty thirty years are still acting very irresponsibly in it. It amazes me what some people see, much less let their children see. Almost notice what the Bible says proverb fifteen, A wise person is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash. The fool feeds on trash. You might want to cut that out and put it on your TV.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people who are true believers in Christ, in God, but they're they're watching trashy TV shows all the time, and they're listening to trash radio all the time, and they're watching trashy soap operas and talk shows, and they're reading trashy magazines and trashy books and novels, and they're paying good money to go see deviant behavior as entertainment and seeing trashy movies and hearing trash talk on those movies. And I've probably heard this a thousand times. But Pastor Rick, you know, when I go and I see those kind of things, it just doesn't phaze me. It doesn't bother me. I can listen to it. It just doesn't bother me, and it doesn't affect me. And I want to say, who are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Huh? Who in the world do you think you're kidding? You think you're kidding? God, It does affect you.
Speaker 2: Scientists have done study after study after study that says you never really forget any scene that you may not recall it consciously, but they can put a probe in your mind, and you know, stimulate certain parts of your brain and that idea will come right back up in living color.
Speaker 3: It's all stored there.
Speaker 2: And some of you have been storing garbage for years now. There's an old computer saying that says, garbage in, garbage out. Whatever you put in your mind is inevitably going to come out in your behavior and your beliefs. And what it does is it weakens you, and it weakens your values, and it lowers you because you've become accustomed to it so that it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Bother you anymore.
Speaker 2: And when things don't bother you anymore, that is a warning light that you've already passed a threshold.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: One of the ways Satan tries to get sin and deviant behavior acceptable is the starting point is it gets you to laugh at it. It gets you to laugh at ah, look at Oh, that's funny, that's really funny. And once you've laughed, your barriers have lowered. That's why always, any deviant behavior always starts on a situation comedy on television before it moves to a drama. Always, every time, study the last forty years of television. Because if Satan can get you laughing at something that is wrong, that is sinful, You've already lost a battle.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: Sin is not funny, folks, It's not funny at all. It put Jesus on the cross, that's how funny it was. And it is absolute abhorrent to the nature of God. And when I sit and I allow things in my mind, God says you're being irresponsible, and you.
Speaker 3: Got to check it out.
Speaker 2: Some hey said, well, I just try to be open minded. Will some of your open minds need to be closed for repairs. Okay, you need to do a little spring cleaning.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Some of you say, you know what, Rick, I never have any desire to read the Bible. You know why you don't hunger for it because you filled your mind with trash. There are three things. You can fill your mind with the truth, which always builds you up. You can fill your mind with poison, and you know what that does you pornography and other stuff like that. Or you can fill your mind with what I call stuffing. Stuffing is stuff that's neither good nor bad. It's just stuff. It's trivia. But you know what, if you eat a whole meal of stuffing, when the steak or the desert comes on. You don't want any of it because you're not hungry for it. The Bible says the wise man is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash. Your character comes from what you think about, So rate yourself on this one plus or minus. Have I been pretty vigilant and I say, there's just certain things I won't watch. I'll turn the channel, I won't listen to it. I'm not going to listen to this or that or whatever or does Is your mind just an open freeway that anybody who wants to drop garbage in it can And you'll say, well, it doesn't affect me, or you're kidding yourself and you're being irresponsible. Give yourself a negative. That's one you need to work on. Number four a fourth theory of responsibility. I can be responsible in life by admitting my mistakes. By admitting my mistakes. Proverbs twenty eight thirteen says a man who refuses to admit his mistakes can never be successful. But if he confesses and forsakes them, he gets another chance. God gives you another chance. He always gives you more chances if you just confess and forsake. The Bible says in the Book of Hoseiah. Don't point your finger at somebody else and try to pass the blame. So I said earlier. Typically we try to accuse and excuse. Whenever we blow it, we say, it's not my fault, it's all your fault. I'm a victim of circumstances, and.
Speaker 3: On and on and on. Now the fact is, folks, look up here.
Speaker 2: I'm doing this message for me because there are many areas of my life that I am irresponsible in, and there are many areas of your life that you were irresponsible in. There's a verse in the Bible that says, there has never been a person who lived on this earth who always did what was good and never did what was wrong. We've all blown it. We've all been irresponsible. The Bible calls it sin. God doesn't want you going around with a heavy guilt trip about all the irresponsibility in your life, but he wants you to go around with a sense of promise and hope that He will help you overcome it.
Speaker 3: He can even listen.
Speaker 2: He can even bring good out of the stupid decisions that you've made in your life, if you will give them to him. It's one of the great truths of God's word, and Tracy is a great example of it. I want you to hear her story today. Would you give her a warm welcome.
Speaker 5: My name is Tracy, and I'd like to share how God has forgiven me and healed me from the painful hearts that came from living irresponsibly for many years. And I'd like to tell you how God has brought good out of the bad in my life since I committed it all to him. I was born when my parents were in their forties, and by the time I was four and a half, my dad died of a heart attack, leaving behind my mom, two brothers, sister, and myself. Soon a new dad came into my life. He was nice and funny, and I liked him right away. Unfortunately, he was also an alcoholic. Years to follow were a roller coaster of highs and lows. By the time my teen years hit, I was very bitter, confused, and resentful. Instead of taking responsibility for myself, I blamed my parents for my unhappiness and God for letting it happen. Turning my back on family and God, I searched for love, affection, and an end to my inner pain. I turned to a destructive and irresponsible path of drugs and alcohol. When I couldn't get the pain to go away, I'd settle for numbness. My search for love took me from one bad relationship to another, never finding what I looked for, and destroying myself along the way. I left home at sixteen and moved in with my sister. She had traveled a similar path. She understood my pain, but, like me, hadn't found the answer. Then I met a man I thought put an end to my search. Once again, I made someone else responsible for my happiness.
Speaker 4: I was afraid to be alone, and he played on that.
Speaker 5: By the time we'd been together two years, I was anorexic and suicidal.
Speaker 4: One night we fought and I snapped.
Speaker 5: I found myself scared, hopeless, and alone, with the bottle of.
Speaker 4: Migraine pills in my hand.
Speaker 5: I awoke to having my stomach pumped. My roommate had found me in time. It was only a week later that I discovered I was pregnant. For the first time, I had to think of someone else besides myself. I had to be responsible for my actions. I was frightened and alone, and in my desperation I turned to God for help.
Speaker 4: The Lord I had tried so hard.
Speaker 5: To alienate had been waiting patiently for me to return to him, and God was faithful as I faced the months ahead. He led me back to my family and stood by me, holding me up when my boyfriend announced, it's mere.
Speaker 4: The baby, and I chose the baby.
Speaker 5: The Lord was there when a frightened teenager gave birth. I would like to say I learned my lesson and was never irresponsible again, but I'm hard headed and it hadn't quite sunk in.
Speaker 4: Oh. I tried.
Speaker 5: I went back to church and I read the Bible, but it was a shallow effort.
Speaker 4: I didn't mature in my faith.
Speaker 5: Even more, I still carry guilt and shame from my failures within me. I hadn't accepted God's complete forgiveness. It's funny, but the guilt and shame that comes from not living responsibly can actually cause you to continue living in the same way. With my deep need to feel accepted, I went from one bad relationship to another for almost two more years. Then, in one moment, my entire life was ripped apart at the seams. I was raped, not by a stranger, but by someone I trusted. What's worse, he first tore my toddler from my arms and threw him in his crib. He then raped and beat me in full view of my frightened, screaming child. I was so full of hurt, anger and shame and guilt that I couldn't even pray for help. Truth was, I was afraid to pray. I felt I was being punished for my life. I carried the secret of this event inside me for many years. I took my son and I moved.
Speaker 4: I enrolled in a.
Speaker 5: University and got a job. But I soon found that I was going from daycare to nightcare.
Speaker 4: I wasn't my son was.
Speaker 5: I missed him, and I was burnt out, so I quit school. A few months later, I lost my job, the bills were passed due, and I was all out of money.
Speaker 4: I picked up food.
Speaker 5: From an emergency shelter and returned home to find the guest shut off, dead, winter and snowing. I held my little son and I cried. My parents offered to take us in, so I swallowed what was left to my pride and did it. Then I made another irresponsible decision. I jumped into a marriage without considering who I was marrying. I so badly wanted to have a family for my son that I married a man who was an alcoholic and a drug abuser. I didn't love him. I just wanted to create a little postcard family I'd always dreamed of.
Speaker 4: Big mistake. This guy quit his job.
Speaker 5: Two months before the wedding and since then only worked to supply his habit. I entered counseling with my pastor, and all attempts to include my husband failed to make things worse. I became pregnant and I discovered he'd begun selling drugs as an easier way to supply his habit. I tried everything to know avail. Then the final straw came. He picked my son up from daycare early and took him with him, selling drugs. He said for company.
Speaker 4: I left that night.
Speaker 5: In order to shorten my story, let me just say that through God's tender love, care and forgiveness, the Lord began to heal the hurts of my life, many of them self inflicted. About eight years ago, God brought Tim into my life.
Speaker 4: Who truly loved me.
Speaker 5: Because I didn't trust anyone anymore, I wouldn't go out with him, so he called me despite many discouragements every evening at six point thirty so I could know him better.
Speaker 4: Still, it took me six weeks to even agree to see him.
Speaker 5: Today, we are happily married with five kids. Then a friend suggested that we visit Saddleback Church to hear the music, knowing that was Tim's soft spot. It took only one visit and we were hooked. Tim pulled his trumpet out of storage and now place with the orchestra. It was here, through Pastor Wick's words and Rick Mutchaw's example of Christian love that Tim's heart was open to christ I'm so grateful to have a husband who reads his Bible and is growing spiritually. One Sunday, Pastor Rick was teaching on how God wants us to use our experiences to help others. Of course, with my background, I immediately thought of pregnant teens. I wanted to bring good out of all of that pain. I inquired about a group and found they needed a leader. I've been helping them ever since, and these young women mean the world to me. I've taken class one on one, two, one three oh one, and lay pastor training. I'm so thankful to God for my church family here at Saddleback. Here I found healing, understanding, and a way to bring good from the pains of my past. One of my favorite Bible verses is Second Corinthians one, verses three and four. Praise be to God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. If you feel that God doesn't love you, or won't forgive you, or can't use you because you made too many irresponsible decisions in your past, you're wrong. Jesus Christ can bring good out of the worst situation, even those we caused ourselves, if we just give him all the pieces and trust him.
Speaker 4: With our lives. Take that first step. Today, He's reaching out to you in love. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Tracy said something really profound. I hope you didn't miss this.
Speaker 2: She said, sometimes we feel so guilty and ashamed of stupid decisions we've made, irresponsible actions that we've taken that that guilt and that shame actually perpetuates the problem, and we keep doing what's causing the problem. It goes like this, I blew it, so I'm bad. Since I'm bad, I'm gonna blow again. And it becomes this cycle that you can't seem to get out of. The guilt and the shame actually keeps you locked in a lifestyle of irresponsibility, and you make one dumb decision after another.
Speaker 3: Now what you.
Speaker 2: Need is a power beyond yourself. What you need is a savior who can forgive your sins, clear your conscience, and give you the power to break out of that cycle.
Speaker 3: And here's the good news. It's the last verse on your outline.
Speaker 2: All of us have fallen short. That's a no brainer. I don't hold up to my own standards, much less God than neither do you. And yet God declares us not guilty if we trust in Jesus Christ, who freely takes away our sins.
Speaker 1: Such a great message by Rick today and every day. I sure hope you were just as encouraged as I was. And now here's Rick with an important message.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, thanks so much for listening today. You know, my hope is that God uses this broadcast to help deepen your relationship with Jesus. Now, these daily hope messages are distributed on radio stations and digital platforms all across the globe, and listeners are writing and letting us know that their lives are being changed. They're telling us that they're walking with Jesus and that guilt and fear has been chased from their lives by God's love. You know, relationships are being restored, and marriages are being healed, and many people are saying that they've found their life purpose. I want to say thank you to you, because we're only able to carry the hope of Jesus to these people all around the world because of gifts from generous listeners like you. I just wanted to say I am so grateful for your prayers and your financial support. Now, I understand in times like these many of you are unable to give financial support.
Speaker 3: Hear it from me.
Speaker 2: That's okay, because I never want anybody to give unless God leads them to give. That's between you and God, not between you and me, but between you and God. And your prayers are a continual and incredible contribution to this Daily Hope ministry. Now, if you do want to give a financial gift, I've got some really great news to share with you. There's a generous friend of Daily Hope Broadcast who is offering to match the amount of your gift. In other words, if you give twenty dollars, then that person is combined it with a grant to make your gift forty dollars. Now, if you've never given a gift to Daily Hope, I want you to pray about partnering with us so that together we can continue to share the hope of Jesus throughout the whole world. I love you so much.
Speaker 1: You know, when you give a gift to Daily Hope, you're really sharing the hope of Jesus with people all over the globe. And right now your gift is going to be doubled by the fifty thousand dollars matching grand That's right. Double. Just go to Pastorick dot com or text the word hope to seven oh three to oh nine. Again, please go to Pastorick dot com or just text the word hope to seven oh three to oh nine. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Daily Hope Ministries and your generous financial support