Speaker 1: Welcome to Spacing Out with BB and Jason this week, covering Foundation season three, episode three, When a Book finds You.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Spacy now. I'm BB and.
Speaker 3: I'm Jason, and we are discussing the Apple TV sci fi series Foundation, one episode at a time, covering season three week to week, and you might be listening to this on our Foundation podcast, but you can also check out our main channel, Spacing Out with Phoebe and Jason. We've covered all sorts of shows on there, including this one. And you're also welcome the right into us if you want. We never really.
Speaker 2: Mentioned that, but oh yeah, communicate.
Speaker 3: The channels are open. No one ever writes in but you never know. In this episode, the origins of Don's interest in psychohistory is revealed, with its first meeting years ago with a projection of Gail Dornick in the present. Gail request Don enclosed Kalgan to stimy the Mules. Ascent the Foundations, Captain Pritcher uses Torn Mallow and Beta as a way into a lavish mule party. Believe that they're becoming overcome. After angering the mule at the party, Torn and Beta escape with his mysterid musician Magnifico Giganticus the Mule begins reprisals to punish those who did not prevent the escape on trent Or. Fearing the imminent end of history, Day seeks the Imperial Garrison's help to leave Tranto. Pervertly thwarted from stronger action against Calgrin by his brothers, Don is only able to order continued surveillance, and Demerzelle removes Dave's companion's song after he reveals to her Demerzal's true nature.
Speaker 1: Vive check did we like the episode overall?
Speaker 2: All? Right?
Speaker 3: Three episodes in, How are we doing?
Speaker 2: I like it? That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I'm like, there's turns and twists and the characters are activating. So I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just going to repeat what I've said before, but like all the storylines are engaging. Every time I know switches to something else, I'm just as interested as the there's so yeah, it's a lot of fun and it's I feel like it's firing on all cylinders.
Speaker 2: And I'm down for this ride. That first season of Foundation, I was like, I don't know, dude, this is some nerd shit that I can't get on board with, but this one I feel like is approachable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of sucks if, like, if you want to share the show with someone, you're like convinced them to get through season one. Yeah, because I don't think you can understand the show without seeing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of have to watch season one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this episode continued to be good.
Speaker 1: Trivia time. What facts or news could we uncover for When a Book Finds You?
Speaker 3: This was Foundation season three, episode three, When a Book Finds You. This originally aired on July twenty fifth, twenty twenty five, written by Eric Carrasco and Greg Gates and directed by Tim Southand who's the same director as the last episode. So the only writer we haven't talked about before is Greg Gates, who is a writer known for the Sandman series on Netflix and has also had a career as a script supervisor. And then just checking in on the what the critical reception of the season's been so far, And it's been really positive on Rotten Tomatoes, the seasons out an eighty eight percent. It's a little bit down from last season, and in my opinion, I think this is actually coming in stronger than how last season started. Yeah, and the other review aggregators are kind of around that point as well. This episode is also flagged on IMDb as one of the top rated episodes. They kind of keep track of you a handful of episodes that are at the top of the list, so this is one of the best ones according to the ratings on IMDb.
Speaker 1: Deep Space Dive. Let's break down some of our thoughts on the episode. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 3: Well, this episode starts in the library.
Speaker 2: Well a library.
Speaker 3: All good adventures start there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode. Those kids are always in the library. Yeah. Brother Don is like, I want to read this book that got us into all of this, And apparently anybody who asks for this book gets to meet Gail Dornick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a herd dating service. Yeah, connect me to anyone who's into this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, must love dogs and psychohistory. And she literally does go on a date with him this restaurant, at this tea house.
Speaker 3: Yeah. At times it seemed like this is a little plurity, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he's like, how are you three hundred years old, and she's like, oh, you know, I cry a sleep, I moisturize. I like this. I like that she kind of educated him on previous downs and what they like nature is in some cases where he sees them as traders because that's what he was, like that, that's the propaganda, that's what he was, that's what he learned. But she called them independent thinkers.
Speaker 3: She offered a different perspective on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she says, you know, when you reach this age, certain versions of you are looking for an out. And I wish we could see what happened to the og Dawn that escaped with the Cloud Princess. They brought him up, and I'm like, man, we need a flashback or a flash forward, or we need to see that dynasty or what happened with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like is is he just a reference point to move this character along the ways? Or But I feel like they made such a big deal about like them like desterilizing him or whatever they did.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. So there's I want to see his descendants. I saw Hobo Mellows, which I never thought i'd care about. The thing is that, like the universe doesn't know that these that Empire went rogues that one time, because as they were escaping, they had sent out those proxy like people to go out and like say, hey, we're here, We're queer. Get used to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it.
Speaker 2: Was just like it's kind of like a secret that they left. Speaking of secrets, brother day let a big one out. Yeah, So I know I'm jumping forward a lot, but well.
Speaker 3: Let me just say about Gail just seems so freaking cool in that meeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like laid back, like meaning back in the chair, Like I could almost see her like with a cigarette, Like, so you want to work for the foundation?
Speaker 3: I'm like, is this how Gail is going to be leading without Harry over his shoulder? Because I like it?
Speaker 2: I do too, I really do. And then when she finds out that Harry Selden gave away the prime radiant and she's like that motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. That's the other thing is that, like she didn't have all the information going into that meeting either.
Speaker 2: So now that she knows Drumoselre Demerzelle, yeah damn well, you know, mispronouncing a white woman's name. Equality.
Speaker 3: But she spent a lot of season two calling your Demerzal or something, but it's Demerzel Demersal.
Speaker 2: Anyway, She's got the prime radiant and I like that. He was like, I remember the first time I saw it, I was five years old, which means she's had it for a while. She's had it for a long time, for many decades, maybe even oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're like two hundred and fifty years past last season, So she's been working on it long before he was born.
Speaker 2: And now he has insight that she doesn't. And it's very interesting to see their dynamic when they're in that throne room, because she's like, no, we got to worry about the counsel and he's like, honey, the mule is the problem. And he's trying to, like, you know, convince them that they need to do this thing without giving away that he's being influenced by an outside source. What a tangled web they weave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so everyone else thinks he's been because pirate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been overly cautious and he's maybe trying to flex because he's the new day around the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you have power, you just want to use the military.
Speaker 2: So it just I can feel like I relate to that feeling where you're the only person in the room who's like sounding the alarm and nobody's listening. Like it's so hard to feel alone in that moment, knowing that you're right, knowing that there's like like this is the reason that the world is going to end, and like saying like we need to be cautious because there's a rumor that he can control your mind. Oh, or to hear that rumor, Don, well, you know it's a rumor. Yeah, it's very interesting. So I don't know. It's just like I like that he's kind of like walking this very thin line of like trying to be influential without overstepping his position and role at this time. So I really liked Don in this one that he did really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then as you were saying about brother Day, he's you know, very close with song Oh yeah, to the point where he is willing to well he.
Speaker 2: Thinks he's close because he doesn't even know where she's from. Yeah, Well, I mean they've been hanging out for six months.
Speaker 3: That could be on her part, like maintaining her secret because it's illegal for her to be part of that religion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean his reaction to like, having a robot in the house isn't the same as hers, probably like, but damn, that's like he's been burying his soul. He's been telling like empire's secrets to this woman, and she won't even tell him. I believe in robots. I think there are saviors yep.
Speaker 3: But so it's it's unclear what her reaction really is at first when she learns about Demersal, But she suddenly she like wants to stay in the palace and be like around her because she believes that the robots are coming back as their saviors or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and maybe they might be. I mean, there might be some grain of truth to that, if Demersal wasn't so help bent on like preserving empire but preserving humanity instead. But I think, what's who's to say that those two are not intrinsically like entangled and connected. Who's I mean? I don't know, though, a fall of an empire doesn't mean the fall of humanity necessarily. It just means that humanity will suffer for you know, a period of time to recover from losing things that empire can bring. Because I think it's complicated. We think of empire as this like big evil like thing, but you have to think, like it's also this agency of like providing some sort of stability to the people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's structure. Yeah, so for good and bad. Yeah, like lose that like that. That's what the the idea of the foundation is that like empire will fall and we're going to minimize the suffering that comes with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like I think a good like governing body should be made to where even if the governing people, the people on top, are unavailable, the other parts of it will still move on, move forward. Like my my main thing is like even if there's not a president, we should still have a post office. Even if there's not a president, we should still have education department, you know, like things like that. Like, to me, that's what makes a good like government or empire or whatever you may call it. That Like, even though there's not a king in place, the people will still be able to live their day to day lives and access their day to day like infrastructure, like life will go on without the emperor. But I think the way that dem Rezol sees it is that you know, and I think maybe she's changing on it because she did kill a couple of them, where maybe the Empire isn't just the people on the throne, you know, So I don't know, I'm very interested to see the challenges that the Empire will face with this new player on the board. As Gail said, the mule is on the board, so it's kind of like a chess game. There was a moment in they're of just like the Empires, just hanging out, sharing that drink and that tradition, and it was just really nice to see them all together kind of as brothers in a way. I thought it was interesting that they did not engage in that commodittory until Demrisol left. Yeah, like they kind of like loosen their tie and unbutton their shirts and kind of like we're family, and their version of a family of like this like idea of passing down a tradition and having like a positive male role model show you that, like not everything has to be so serious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And with these versions of them this season, you know, they've largely been kind of at odds with each other, maybe not Don in Dusk as much, but somewhat in this episode too. So it's just nice to see that they do have that closeness and that capability of that mm hmmm, which will probably make it hurt a little more when whatever inevitably rips them apart throughout the season.
Speaker 2: Well, you have one of them wanting to run away, and then the other one is committing treason, and then the oldest one has a fucking death star.
Speaker 3: That's true, and is trying to escape death too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somehow escape death while bringing death. What a What a juxtaposition of an existence. So yeah, I think it's gonna be very interesting to see. I think it's it's definitely setting us up for some sort of like tragic family dispute or like their their relationship that seems tight and close knit even through their differences, it's going to be ripped apart by all of these different things pulling them in these different directions. So I'm very I love that. I love that, Like I think relational tensions are so much more exciting than like war fighting or whatever. I think that dynamics between personalities and having like establishing that closeness I think is gonna hurt more when they do finally tear apart. So I kind of love that.
Speaker 3: I love that little bit of levity about the geirafe the grass. Yeah, that was good, right before the Merzil breaks it.
Speaker 2: Down that your girlfriend loves robots and she gave me the I love robots sign and I had to erase our memory. You're lucky at inn killer, And I think part of it was also that she like likes that those people exist. Okay, you guys like robots, Well, I'll let you live.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that's where we ended the episode, right, It was that revealing day being pissed off. So I wonder what his next move is.
Speaker 2: Is he still well, he already entangled that guard. Yeah, and that guard has the memory of them making a plan, and he the guard needs his daughter to be saved. Regardless of whether or not this motherfucker wants to leave or stay. He already promised that he would save his daughter. It just sucks that he can't escape with his lover. And honestly, that's all she was is a lover because she wasn't a partner to him. She was more like a drug dealer that gave him drugs and sex in order for her to survive and have her memory for longer. I think she was very I think she was kind of playing him in a way. I don't know if she ever really loved him, if she never revealed herself to him like that. Because if my partner that I trusted and loved told me that his nanny advisor is a robot and I love robots, I'd be like, oh, man, you know what I have to tell you. I love robots. I know you hate them, but I love them. I believe there are saviors, and I think we should stay. Like to tell you why I believe we should stay, Not Oh, I think we should stay. I think it's not it's not a bad idea to just kind of hang out a little longer.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, she might have gotten to that point, but they were kind of interrupted.
Speaker 2: Because she gave the symbol she she should have also like stayed chill, like she was obviously enthusiastic enough to give out away her position to a damn robot, but not to her partner who she's been sleeping with for the last six months. That's fucked up. I don't know. It makes me feel like I could never trust her, even if she had her memories, even if she even if fucking the robot lady didn't say shit, Because God wouldn't that be a plot twist if they like, if she's like, okay, I'll be your savior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but my question is is Day going to go try to track her down now using his escape route and go after her, try to get her memory back. We know that possibilities out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He also suggested that they put their fingers in their little buttoles. What do you miss that line?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He said, if you're gonna he's talking when they're in the throne room, huh said, if we're gonna poke hole and things, I was just starting with your little buttholes. At least you get some pleasure out of it.
Speaker 2: Oh he said that, Oh my god, that's funny. Who's poking holes and things? Okay, that's interesting. I think that should be your outline.
Speaker 3: So there was a party.
Speaker 2: On the Pleasure Planet cling on what's that planet called? It's what the keke Kegan Cake Calgan. The Pleasure Planet has parties. What a novelty. What was weird was that there was a young person drinking. Yeah, that was you know, like holy shit, like another level of like just evil added to the mule. Like I mean he was evil already. We we know that he's a bad guy, But to bring a child to that environment and let them drink and encourage them to drink, I just can't. I can't, I can't. I hate this guy so much. I hate him so much, and he's so scary. And I told you that guy from the Foundation was from Second Foundation.
Speaker 3: I still don't think that's true. We saw him in the first episode.
Speaker 2: But he has brain powers. Yes, that's not part of the Foundation. That's part of foundation too. We need to rewatch all the episodes.
Speaker 3: In the first episode, he was with the original Foundation talking to their mayor and stuff and oh yeah, Craters and the other Mallow.
Speaker 2: I just don't. I cannot believe that there is somebody with special abilities in this the first Foundation. It's very hard to believe that. I associate that purely with the Second Foundation because that's what they've cultivated and what they've encouraged. So I don't know. I'm confused. I'm confused. Why would they would give this character those special abilities? And then he approaches the mule, and the mule clocks him and he's like, who's Gail Dornick? Tell me more and he's like, fuck that, And then his eyeball got dirty and he left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't know, we didn't get much of him, No, Von Pritchard's that really understand? Like does he know Gail?
Speaker 2: Well, everybody in the Foundation knows Gail.
Speaker 3: Knows of her, but I don't think they know that she's out there living briefing because the First Foundation does not know of the Second Foundation, right and Gail wants to keep it that way, and.
Speaker 2: In her visions, the mule is asking her where is the Second Foundation? So sorry that was love, Yeah, because they're the threat to him. Yeah, So when is he going to find out about the Second Foundation to look for it and seek it out? Is the cool? Like? That is a question that's I think a good one to have at this point right now. But I'm confused about his allegiance because of his abilities.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think I'll do more research. Well, then I'll do like a book talk thing here at the end to go into some of these characters and with how their roles are in the books. That'll be buttentially spoilery, So if anyone doesn't want to hear that, they don't have to listen to that. But the party goes on after Han Pritcher leaves as a beta and Torrin decide to make themselves useful and investigate the Mule and his musician.
Speaker 2: Right the hobo mellow in them came out the descendants. They're like, oh, we need to figure out what Pritcher couldn't and they split up and they steal his musician and then he gets flayed.
Speaker 3: H that was gross.
Speaker 2: That was disgusting, and ah, oh oh it would it should have been more bloody. Honestly, your hand whenever you get a little cut. I've cut myself with a potato peeler before. That's why it felt so viscerle to be way more blood would have come out, way more. It should have been way bloodier. But I think this show is trying to like not be that kind of show right where it's like body Horror. But I think it's like touching, like it's flirting with it. When it comes to the Mule. I think that's like a very interesting choice because I think it elicits terror and fear, and like Body Horror kind of does that, like whenever you see like somebody getting flayed, you're definitely going to have like a gut reaction. But I thought he was very clever when he's got his like little cameras and he's like flash, so he was like surprised and couldn't concentrate on making him one of his many victims. Yeah, that was very clever. And the girl just steals the musician. It seems like he's a very like tortured musician too, in that role that he's playing, In the role he plays in a hobo or the mule's camp, it looks like it's forced. It's not very happy, which is weird because the mule can make him feel like he's happy doing something that you can manipulate people into thinking they're happy, So why wouldn't you do that? Why wouldn't you do that so that he doesn't want to leave? But I guess it is established that it's very taxing on him to do these little sides chill acts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think he might enjoy torturing people, enjoy manipulating people in other ways as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm glad they escaped. That was very harrowing. I'm very glad they escaped. And the what an icon. She had one dress and she pushes a button and then it like transforms into another dress. Even before she went to the concert. The party that is so cunt. Like that is that is such a like famous, like like a femme presentation of like power and like status.
Speaker 3: You got to have a reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's not wearing a shirt. He's just like chill. He's like, yeah, I don't wear a shirt. He carries like a jacket over his shoulder. And I thought they were going to have more interaction with that spy guy. I thought I was going to be a little more interesting, but it was just very flash in the pan and then he's out and then we don't see from him again. So I'm very interested in the next episode that we see where he goes or what he reports or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he just had to get the heck out of there. M That's all that happened, right.
Speaker 2: Well, Mule took a call from Day and Don, Don and Dusk and he seemed very bothered. He's like, what do you want. I'm in the middle of it murdering people. Yeah, because Don, for the life of him, is trying to come to some agreement to try to control the Mule, and it's just he's not succeeding on any fronts, it seems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think like he wanted that meeting to help give him the grounds to install that blockade or whatever they're talking about.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmenclosure and the screaming in the background. That's fucked. That's so fucked. He's like, oh, are you busy? What was that? I don't worry about it, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the mule is on the tape, as they say, so on the board, on the board. I don't want anyone's going to do next. I'm excited, right.
Speaker 2: I hope that guy gets his sick daughter to be on sick although, like, what kind of illness does she have? It's very vague. Are her kidneys shutting down? Is she just got like a flue that won't go away? She missing a limb? What's going on? Why she's so sick? What's her diagnosis?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Was it affecting her activities of daily living or what? Because I feel like disability or illness is it necessarily a death sentence and the idea of like making somebody better can sometimes be toxic to the humanity of the person right better? How I don't know, I need more info.
Speaker 3: Do you know who your Astral Queen is?
Speaker 1: Astral Queen who was the stand out character in the episode.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be down Don Don Don Don Don. He wore a fake mustache and a little go tea and went to the tea house and met with Gail, and he was pushing his pieces on the board, trying so hard to get his queen the mule. So I'm gonna go for Don, he was like. And then he had his drink with his brothers. I thought they were gonna trick him and be like, it's truth sirum. And then he like tells everybody that he's been talking to Gail. I thought that was worth that was going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's He's really good in this episode. Yeah, probably the most central character of it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in it through the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Gail was really cool, like I said earlier, But I think I also want to choose brother Don just for everything he was doing and all the cards he was playing, and he's doing his best thing it. Yeah, all right, As I said, I'm gonna do a little bit of a spoilery book talk thing here, So if you don't want to hear anything that might potentially be where the series is going, then you are free to leave and we'll see you next time for season three, episode four, the Stress of her regard, Let's put our.
Speaker 2: Living stereo stylists in this.
Speaker 1: Group Grace for impact. Spoilers ahead. If you haven't read the book series, now maybe the time to say goodbye. Remember you can contact us at Spacingoutpod at gmail dot com, find us on social media, share your thoughts and be a part of the discussion. Spoilers in five, four, three two one.
Speaker 3: All right, So I've been reading these books, the Foundation series, and at this point I've read six of the seven books, and there's things that have come up in the later books that I didn't think we're going to have any connection to the TV series, since the TV series is really covering the original trilogy. But in the book, I just read like the mrzles in it as a character who is a robot, which I thought the Merzl was unique to the show, but yeah, apparently not. It's a male character, as many of them are in the books. Rach, remember Rach from season one, Gil's boyfriend, Harry's kind of somewhat.
Speaker 2: Sun Oh, yeah, the one who killed him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rach is a character in the books, and I think he's a pretty young kid, but he basically is he gets picked up and kind of adopted by Harry Selden as Harry Selden is trying to work on psychohistry. But so Han Pritcher in the books is from the First Foundation and he gets manipulated by the Mule and is like full on searching for the Second Foundation on behalf of a mule.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's why you're so sure he's from the First Foundation too, partially.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then so Beta and Torn are also in the books. They are not the sentence of Mallow that's added for the show, but Beta is actually like a big part of the Mule's downfall. So girl power, and since they're setting them up as these like kind of influencer characters that like you don't expect much from, I think that might be an interesting way to work go on the show. But I believe, I believe she's like in a relationship with the Mule, but she is not under his.
Speaker 2: Powers, like she's immune.
Speaker 3: I don't know she's immune or he just refused to manipulate her. And it comes from so this this musician character, the magnificent character. This is hard for you to remember. I believe in the books the Mule is undercover as that character. Oh, and is working alongside doctor ebling Me, which is doctor Bashir's character, to look for the second foundation. And then Beta is there too, And because she treats the Mule just as like a normal person, in care so much for him that like he doesn't want to manipulate her or anything he likes before she realizes that he is the Mule. Oh, yes, I don't know if that makes sense, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it. Interesting, interesting, interesting. I am very interested to see what happens with the Mule and this musician and these influencers and them getting away and seeing the depth of his power and cruelty firsthand and living, because it feels like anybody who experiences his cruelty doesn't get to live, or they are living near him in fear, like the Palace people like it. Probably signed NDA's or something, because I think ultimately he wants to be seen as a charismatic leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but since they seem to have made Magnificent a separate character, I don't know like where that arc is going.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And as I mentioned the you know, there's not a lot of strong female characters in those books, especially in the first trial. The original trilogy, but Beta is perhaps the exception to that. She comes in I think in the third novel and is actually like a really fleshed out character. Oh and then so Mysogen, that's the place where Song is from. That that is a location in the book. I just read Prelude to Foundations, a prequel book, and it is like a very isolated They very clearly say that, like they're not religious, but they do have this kind of temple thing that has an old robot in it.
Speaker 2: But oh my god, do you think there's going to be a second robot in the show. Maybe, but maybe not as fancy as Dramasol Demersal, Demersal, I'm excited. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But the in the book, the Misogen sector, they everyone there post puberty is completely hairless, like they go under I think, like a surgery to be completely hairless, and they're grossed out by the outsiders with hair.
Speaker 2: Really interesting. I wouldn't mind being completely hairless, but I feel like I'd still want to wear a wig if it was cool enough out or do what those ladies who are in chemo and go bald, they like, get like Hannah tattoos on their head. I'd get like a tattoo on my head to decorate it, because I feel like that's a lot of a lot of skin up there.
Speaker 3: So I mean, maybe looking further in the show's future if it goes on for several more seasons. This kind of the search for robots is also kind of tied into their search for Earth as the original planet. But how are all these planets were descended from? Oh okay, kind of like the myth of Earth kind of like Battlestar, Like it's kind of an idea that people don't really believe to be true, or it's too messy and obscured to actually research or anything.
Speaker 2: They a drumasol. Demerzol also mentioned Earth in this episode when she talked about giraffes and the pictograms and all that, So that was interesting. Yeah, Well, I'm excited. I hope that this show is able to know when it's gonna end. Like a lot of shows sometimes like they don't know that they're in their final season and they write something that doesn't feel complete, and that's very frustrating as a viewer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hopefully, because I feel like season two did a good job of like closing off the story arcs I mean there's some some questions out there, but not to the point where like I feel betrayed by not getting a follow up to it. So hopefully this season will kind of do that same thing, right.
Speaker 2: It's just so hard when you don't know how many seasons you're gonna get outright, Like they should just say, like I think Breaking Bad had a very good way of looking at it, where they're like, this is what we're doing, this is the story, This is how many seasons we need, this is all we're done doing. We're done. And then we got lucky that we got a prequel with Better Call Saul that was also very like encapsulated, like this is the story we're telling, this is how many seasons we're getting. And maybe they had that advantage for being on a network like AMC. It's hard to say how fixed or how dependable or reliable a season on Apple TV is going to be.
Speaker 3: So yeah, because I mean this Apple TV is they're kind of making sci fi one of their bigger niches. Like, I mean, they've got Severance and Foundation, Silo and for all Mankind, but Foundation is probably like the most like hard sci fi doesn't have the I think like the most like the mainstream appeal that some of the others like it's easier for a general audience to just get into Yeah.
Speaker 2: You have to see that first season and it's really tough. So I hope they're able to tell their story in a way that feels complete to what they're creating, because that's so hard with television to say we're done, and then sometimes like they jump the shark fucking Game of Thrones, Like Game of Thrones could have ended when Danaris like freed the slaves. I don't know.
Speaker 3: So here's what the initial pitch was, So David S. Goyer, who has now left the show, so.
Speaker 2: The initial pitch might be out the door.
Speaker 3: Yeah. With foundation, we can tell the story hopefully over the course of eighty episodes or eighty hours, so that would mean eight seasons. Yeah, I think that is asking a lot for a show that is, you know.
Speaker 2: Getting cleared a season by season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just like, I know it has a decent number of fans, but it's not like wildly popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like this World.
Speaker 3: Isn't Severance or something that like everyone's talking about around the water cooler, and I know it sounds like there was a lot of budgeting disputes for this season. Yeah, so I mean maybe if they're just going to move forward with lower production cost, I.
Speaker 2: Think they can afford that. I wouldn't mind, like having less spaceships. I don't think the show is about spaceships, you know, And I think that's what costs a lot of money, is like rendering and like visual effects and all this. And the sets are very lavish too. But if we're talking about an empire crumbling, we can destroy that, we can scale it back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really talk about all the locations that they've filmed in all these different islands.
Speaker 2: And stuff, like just film in Canada, Bro.
Speaker 3: I mean that might be something that they need to do. Yeah, because I mean, because I do love that the show looks beautiful and it doesn't look like they're on CGI sets.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's plenty of CGI at work extending and manipulating these locations and stuff, but it feels very real every time they're outdoors and indoors.
Speaker 2: But most of these I mean, Gale does all of her telecasting in a one room and Empires crumbling, like, we can we can put we can do things in a stage. Bro, I don't think we need to go to Finland every time we need to film the Foundation or whatever, But I don't know. I really do hope that they're able to tell their story without any issues to completion or to a satisfying end. Maybe not necessarily completion, but so far, so good. I really like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So next time we'll be season three, episode four, and we'll see you for that, And thank you for spacing out with us. To remember, all empires fall, they need no help from us.
Speaker 1: Thank you for spacing out with BB and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Remember you can contact us through email or social media. Next time we will cover Foundations season three, episode four, The Stress of Her Regard. We hope you will join us