Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone as we head to the twentieth hour. And I think all of you who are regular listeners of Nightside know what the twentieth hour is all about, and that is the end of the week, and we try to just sit back and kind of take the edge off. Last hour I thought was quite interesting and again it's a book that I think it's one of those books that if you have if you need a good summer read, I think this is its Circus of Satan again, if you want to it's it's it's a historical novel and it is it's It's a book that I would highly recommend. I'm going to try to get a copy myself, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. So I don't know, maybe it's a little too heavy for you on summer reading, but that's okay to each his own. As we say, now, what I like to do in this hour is tell you an answer what I want to do, and then I just want to do a.
Speaker 3: Quick review of the week. Today is the.
Speaker 2: Eighty first anniversary of D Day and the men and women who won World War Two are called the Greatest Generation, and normally we get really light here in the twentieth hour. But tonight I realized that there was a lot of interest in publicity about D Day, the eightieth anniversary, and that probably, I don't know, maybe one of the one hundredth anniversary comes around nineteen years from now, it will also get some play, but there will be no survivors left. There are only a handful of survivors left from D Day. But I'd like to just open it up and give you an opportunity if you want to acknowledge a relative or a friend who's probably passed on. But when you think of the courage that the men and women, and primarily men who stormed the beaches at Normandy on June sixth, nineteen forty four, they got off those landing craft and walked into a hail of machine gun bullets. I've visited Normandy and had the honor of being there. Was up in the German pill boxes, which were high above the beach. It was a free fire zone, and I can't imagine the courage it must have taken for those young Americans and Canadian troops and British troops to get off those landing vehicles in the face of that fire. So what I'm hoping tonight is that as we move ever closer to the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of this country, a life fourth uh and and and all that that it entails, the the declaration of independence and uh, the just everything.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The we're in the in the year of the Battle of Lexington and conquered and uh, it's it's it's it's heartening to understand that we're benefiting from the sacrifices of generations that have come before us. And here we are with the we're approaching the not the vi centennial year, but the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary year. Uh. And I I know we'll talk a lot about that in the in the months ahead, and we certainly will talk as we approach the fourth of July, But just give an opportunity to talk about anyone who you knew from the greatest General said that that generation is passing, and it will be gone in a week of an eye, and there will be at some point in the not too distant future we will read about the last member of the armed forces of World War two and they will be gone. But without them, god knows where this country would have been if somehow the Axis powers had prevailed in the nineteen forties. So let me just as you think about who you'd like to make a comment about, and I hope you do, let me just review the week of the first week of June twenty twenty five that we've just finished here. We talked about on Monday night the Lowell Summer Music Festival thirty fifth festival, talked about some summer travel savings with Mark shield Drop of Triple A. Talked about the decline of mental health amongst us mothers, and talked about the Union Oyster House and that Orange lobster. We talked at the nine o'clock hour about the deportation arrest here in Massachusetts of fourteen hundred and sixty one illegals who have been arrested, including the young man, the eighteen year old from Milford who was described as a collateral arrest. Talked about for an hour the unh Pole on Monday night, possible problems in that poll for incumbent Democrats in Massachusetts, and we talked.
Speaker 3: About the.
Speaker 2: Attack by Ukraine on those Russian planes and that attack was a year and a half in the making, and tonight I was watching I think it was ABC News. This was one of those attacks that the trucks were driven into Russia by Russian truck drivers. They had no idea that they were transporting drones which were basically programmed to attack Russian airfields. Tuesday night, we talked about an event this weekend Repel Boston. Talked with the Adam Katz, the president of the Foundation to Combat Anti Semitism, talked with a professor about cancer prevention, and talked with a doctor about a prevalence of at home heart attacks. At nine o'clock, talked with Camillo von Saca of The Boston Globe about the dmula's market basket battle, which continues, and then we spent two hours talking about that anti Semitic attack in Boulder, Colorado last weekend. Wednesday night, talked about the Bill Walton collection being auctioned by Hunt Auctions. Talked with Jonathan Gulliver of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation about the work Zone Crisis Bill, which would basically allow blue lights to be used on some of the work zones where the danger is particularly obvious. Major Michelle Mastro but Teaster about the Blue Angels coming back to New Hampshire this September. September sixth and seven, talked with Sheila Goff about a piece of legislation that the American Kennel Club is not supporting it. They feel it is going to prevent puppies availability in America, that it is unnecessary, and that it will lead to the importation of puppies from countries around the world that do not have the higher standards that we have. We talked on Wednesday night at nine o'clock about the disagreement, the very public disagreement between Boston Mayor and Michelle wou and US Attorney Leah Foley here for the US Attorney of Massachusetts. We did talk on Wednesday night about the breakup the Donald Trump elon Musk breakup in Musk's criticism of the Trump tax bill last night to on Thursday night. Talked with Emily Sweeney about a fifty year old cold cave. Talked with a high school junior rising high school senior at Belmont High School as a program to help senior citizens deal with computers and electronic devices that perhaps they're not comfortable with. Talk with Mark Anastasio the Coolidge Corner Summer series, and talk with Captain Bree Baker about the Salvation Army Donuts giveaway, which of course happened today on National Donut Day. Talked last night at nine about President Trump trying to ban foreign students from Harvard. Talked about the new Trump travel band for a couple of hours last night, and tonight we talked about water safety this summer with the representative of the DCR. Talked about the spotted lanch and fly with a bug expert from UMass Amherst. Talked with David Condon, he's the Harbard Master in Yarmouth about safety in the boating season, and talked with Kathy Malone about the fiftieth anniversary of the Jaws movie, which is its such a landmark, a cinematic landmark. And tonight we talked about the ending of the Truck, the Trump Musk bromancee. And we talked last night with Attorney Jeff Convicts of California. He's an author as well as a great attorney in California, about his new book Circus of Satan about gangs, Jewish gangs, Italian gangs, Irish gangs and the development, the rise and fall of those gangs in most of the twentieth century, there certainly the early twentieth century. So what I'm going to do now is open up the phone line six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three, one ten thirty Today's d day. It's impossible to put yourself into what the mindset of this country was eighty one years ago.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: There was no television, there was no internet, there was no immediate communication. There were people at home in towns like where you live and I live, uh, and who knew that their sons and daughters were on the front lines. They did not know exactly what was going on, but they knew that something was going on, and that the US invasion of Europe was about to begin June sixth, nineteen forty four. And uh, it's eighty one years ago. A big celebration a year ago for the eightieth anniversary. The Greatest Generation is slipping away. But that is a generation that I think clearly it's a better generation than my generation, which was the Baby Boomer generation. It's a better generation than any of the more recent generations, the Millennials.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 2: Diz's, and the x'es and the alphas and that have come along. So I just would love to have you take a moment to remember and reflect on someone from the greatest generation that you were fortunate enough to know. That's I'd like to keep it simple tonight, six seven thirty, six, seven thirty. We cannot forget the sacrifice that those people who survived at your depression and fought a world war, and that world war took a little over three and a half years. It was done from the moment that we as a nation hit the canvas after Pearl Harbor until there was VJ Day in August of nineteen forty five, a little more than three and a half years ago. Stunning, stunning that that generation could accomplish that after having survived the depression. You have the numbers, you have a phone, give us a call back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Way. I'm Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 5: If you're trying to get through your daily activities and you're noticing you can't because you're focusing more on your pain than being able to enjoy the moment, those are the patients that we're looking to treat because we can make a difference.
Speaker 6: That's doctor Ashley Caravelli, a medical director for QC Kinetics.
Speaker 5: What we're doing at QC Kinetics is offering treatments that help with joint preservation. We use cutting edge technology and our in house lab to harness your body's natural healing powers and target the areas where you need them the most.
Speaker 6: These are regenerative nonsurgical treatments, and QC Kinetics is the nation's leader delivering lasting relief to tens of thousands of patients.
Speaker 5: What we do know is at the sooner we start treatment, the sooner you'll see relief.
Speaker 6: So don't wait another minute. See if you're a good candidate for these non surgical treatments for joint pain. The consultation is completely free. Call QC Kinetics six seven six four four pain. That's six one seven six four four pain. Six one seven sixty four four pain.
Speaker 7: Every night, hundreds of our neighbors have no place to call home. At Father Bills in Mainspring, we believe everyone deserves a second chance and a safe place to start again. With your support, we provide emergency shelter, meals and life changing pathways to housing and help. Together we can end homelessness, one life at a time. Learn more at help fbms dot org. Father Bills and Mainspring, because nobody should be homeless.
Speaker 1: It's nice Eye with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna go right to the phones.
Speaker 2: And I certainly want to remember my father tonight, who served two and a half years in China Bournman, India during World War Two. Certainly disrupted his life, in the life of virtually everybody in that generation. And he he came home. I can remember as a child hearing him at night reliving moments. He would be screaming down the hole. I can remember those screams, and my mother told me that it was things that he remembered, things that he had seen in what they called the CBI China burn in India, and I can't imagine. They never talked about it. They never talked. He would talk a little bit about being over there and talk about he didn't talk about.
Speaker 3: What I think he had seen. Let's go to Kevin and Falsk. Kevin. Welcome, Kevin, Hi Dan, how are you. I'm doing great, Kevin, thanks for calling in. You can start us off.
Speaker 2: As I said, I mentioned my dad, who was a staff sergeant in the United States Army two and a half years in China, Burman, India. He came home, raised the family and lived a life. It was an amazing group of people, an amazing group of people.
Speaker 4: Dan I was on my father's side. There were eleven children, and remarkably, nine of them served between the Army, Air Force, Navy, and nurses in the Army. One of my uncles was captured at the Battle the Bulge. Another served up in the Aleutian Islands, which doesn't get a whole lot of historical perspective. And I had an an aunt that that was a nurse in England, then ultimately went over to the European theater and nursed pilots and air crews that had been shot down. Some of the stories that they did talk about were, I mean, you and numb listening to them because they were very they could be very graphic, and I just can't believe today when I go up to the cemetery to visit the graves, they're all there and the flags are flying and it's really quite a sight. So I just hope and pray that the next generation learns about this, because if this into the dock crack. So never being told, I think it'll it will really hurt our nation more than you might realize.
Speaker 2: Well, the funny thing about it is, when you think about it, there are history classes and Civics classes in high schools across the country that probably cover World War Two in ten minutes. You know, they had the history books, and you know how it was when you were in high school. They start the history book and they're about halfway through the history book and we're up maybe to the end of the Civil War, and it's May fifteenth, and they got to cover the next one hundred and fifty years or whatever in the history book within like a week and a half before school was out. And we have more video tapes available to show kids in school and make them understand what World War two was all about. We see the rise of anti Semitism in this country and around the world. We talked about that earlier the day week. I don't know that the Holocaust is taught in school anymore. Again, if there are teachers out there or high school students who are listening, I'd love to hear from that story. But I'm concerned. I mean, World War two was an incredibly important period of history in this country from World War Two sprang the nineteen fifties and sixties, and we got bogged down in Korea, we got bogged down in Vietnam. Those wars were not concluded.
Speaker 3: But when MacArthur's on.
Speaker 2: The ship and the Japanese military leadership is signing the surrender documents on VJ Day, can you imagine what it must have been like in this country And people were only hearing about it on the radio. They didn't have television. Now, it's so frustrating to think that that this, this whole era might somehow be lost to history in the minds of young people. That's my concern.
Speaker 3: I think it's yours as well.
Speaker 4: And you know something, Dan, I'll let you go on this is that I went up to West Point. In the basement of the museum at West Point is a mark up of the atomic bomb, and I was shocked at how people looked at that bomb and had no idea of the devastation that it cost. It was. It's it just goes to show they have no idea what it represents.
Speaker 2: And thank god we had to use and Germany did not have it to use.
Speaker 8: On us exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Thank you for bringing us up.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. I hope we get more response. Thanks, Kevin, appreciated have a great effect. You know, whenever I do something like this, you never know what people are going to react to it. Again, we can do some of the fun topics we do on the twentieth Hour. But I just knew today as I watched that there was not a lot of publicity about this at the anniversary of D Day. It's the most probably one of the most important days in the history of this country. If those soldiers had not taken that beachhead, which really started the success and the defeat of Nazi Germany, we might be speaking German today. Let me get real quickly here if I can before the break. Melissa in Portland, Oregon. Melissa, welcome back.
Speaker 8: How are you good?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 9: It's so nice to hear your voice. You know, I appreciate you bringing this up. My dad was in the latter years of World War Two. But what I always remember, and I because he was born in twenty eight but when I think of D Day, I always as a baseball fan, I always think of Yogi Bera. He was in the Navy and he was a I think it was a gunner or something on I don't know the military term, on one of the boats and did swarm Normandy. And I just that always sticks with me that he was young, so young, but then he was able to get out of the military and go on to have such a great career, and he was so humble about being a part of D Day, and I always thought that was really special. And the same with Warren Spot.
Speaker 2: You're a great baseball historian. I think he had ten World Series rings.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, Yes, he did.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: Nobody else has ten fingers ten World Series rings.
Speaker 3: We also should to.
Speaker 2: Get Hoyt Wilhelm talking about Major League Baseball players. Yeah, Hall of Fame pitcher who was wounded at the Battle of the Bulge.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And you know, Warren Spawn was in from I think the end of the forty two season. Of forty five, he came back in six.
Speaker 2: Correct me if I'm wrong it. But I think Spawn won about three hundred and sixty three games. I think that's the number I associate with him, and he won them all after the age of twenty five.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I thought it was three eighty nine, but you're right, maybe it is. Three sixty three to check it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to check it during the break.
Speaker 9: Okay, really's the winningest all time left handed pitcher. And what amazes me about Warren Spawn is that you know, he wasn't happy unless unless he was getting a complete game. You know, the game has changed so much.
Speaker 3: You know question.
Speaker 2: And he's the one who made the comment. He he pitched for the Boston Braves. You Spawn and Sane and pray for rain, and then Casey Stinkle was his manager, and of course Single then went on to, uh, you know, do so well as a manager with the Yankees. By the way, Spawn was three sixty three and two forty five.
Speaker 9: It wasn't okay?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then people forget that Spawn after his great success. Uh he he pitched for the Mets briefly.
Speaker 11: What and the Giants?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Uh, but he had Stingle as a manager, and Spawn was was hurt to say, uh that he played for Yogi both before rather played for Casey both before and after Casey after Yogi.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's awesome, and I know that that the story goes. That was saying he would light up a cigarette with two outs and the dugout when when spawn was on the mound and have a cigarette waiting for him. So they were quite the quite the duo. So what I do think of those players and even Ted Williams and others, sure that you know they were they had to, you know, this vision of this pro career and everybody. There were many people whose lives were interrupted and it's just amazing to me that they were able to go on. And I'm to such great you know, baseball careers, and with Yogi, I kind of feel like his humility and grace is often forgotten when it comes to D Day. And I think a lot of those men they didn't speak about it, and maybe that was good or bad, I don't know, but they seem to have a lot of humility about what they were doing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Again, for those who do not know, my friend from Portland, Oregon, but Melissa is a great baseball historian, has spoken and lectured at Cooperstown and other baseball venues around the country, and whenever we talk, it always goes back to baseball. But again, it does show that the connection between baseball and America as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and just did an interview when.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Ted Williams. Williams lost time both in World War Two and in the Korea career.
Speaker 12: He did.
Speaker 2: I don't know any other major League player who was called to service in both of those wars. And you think about how many home runs Williams might have hit if he had not lost the years, and.
Speaker 9: What do you have hit four hundred?
Speaker 11: Again?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's what I always think about.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: I just did an interview with a former Major league pitcher and one of the things he said to me we were talking about the knuckleball. Ironically you mentioned White Wilhelm, and one of the things he said to me was baseball brings everything together, and his very sic cyclical. And I do think both the Negro league players and the Major league players, the then major league players that served in the war, I think that that's sometimes the wars that that sometime it is forgotten, right, and an NBA as well. And it's a different time. And I wonder in today's world if a player would do that. And I'm just I'm just curious because they do say, as they always it's the greatest generation, But to me, they were a different generation. I wonder the.
Speaker 2: Shining example in terms of Iraq and Afghanistan was the great defensive back for the Arizona Cardinal Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, and and don't forget Bob Feller as well. I remember, Oh yeah, my dad came home on a troop ship. He was very proud of the fact that he had been on a troop ship with a guy named Norm Van Brocklin, who was a great quarterback in the NFL for the Rams. So yeah, we could go on and on, but I got to get out of the way of the news. Melissa, be well, stay safe and whenever whenever I can mention Hoyt Willhelm in a newscast on a broadcast, it's mine.
Speaker 9: That's what my presentation is on in a couple of weeks. So we love talking about the knuckleball.
Speaker 3: You're going to be great. You're going to be great. He was posted. Okay, thanks for listen, good night.
Speaker 2: All right, we have the news coming up, and I got a paucity of phone calls here. I'm looking for people to recall and remember, because eventually, if we don't, we will forget that greatest generation. Today is the eighty first anniversary of D Day. I can't imagine what this country went through after Pearl Harper and on full war footing. I mean nine to eleven was bad enough, There's no question about that. Okay, first time we were attacked on American soil, Hawaii at that point was not a state. However, that kicked off what they called the Great War, and there were a lot of people who I knew, and I'm sure some people who you knew, who served. And if you'd like to pay a slight tribute, either to an individual or to the generation, I don't care if anybody else calls. I'm willing to talk about it till midnight because I think it's important.
Speaker 3: Uh. And when we lose.
Speaker 2: Recollections and remembrances of things that are important, when we lose our history, we lose our nation. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Not intending to be a downer, intending to celebrate the Greatest generation.
Speaker 1: Back on Nightside Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep rolling.
Speaker 2: You're going to go to Campy in Cambridge. I can't be How are you tonight?
Speaker 8: I'm wonderful, Dan, How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing just great.
Speaker 2: What's your recollection or thought you'd like to share with us. I think it's important that you're called right.
Speaker 8: I wanted to speak about a dear friend of mine, a gentleman who became a dear friend of mine from Cambridge. His name is Marvin Gilmour, and he's still alive. And he was on the beach in Normandy and still there was a book that I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry he said, he's still alive.
Speaker 8: He's still alive. Ye, he's one hundred years old. There'll be one hundred and one September. Dan, if you ever spoke with this man, he's just such a charming individual. He was the owner and the creator of the first black owned bank in Boston, amongst other you know, very very entrepreneurial spirited conquests that he's established for himself over his lifetime. He used to own the Western Front, which was a nightclub on Western av in the in the heart of the black community in Cambridge. He always promotes black businesses and he was also one of the as far as crusading for peace. There the book written about him, it's called Mormon Gilmore Crusader for Peace. But he's been doing it all his life. He's been very very an uplifting soul to speak to. He's got a smile, a charming way about him. He's he was a drummer in the army. After he served at Normandy. His commanders saw his talents and they gave him a career in the army. And then after his career in the army, he went home and started businesses. He started a family. Two of his sons both musicians, very complished musicians, very successful musicians. And when you speak to this man, he's so much at peace. Dan it's it's to me, he's a hero.
Speaker 2: And he's one hundred and one years old.
Speaker 8: That is, it will be one and one September.
Speaker 2: Well, if you talk to him, I hope you get a chance to play your tribute to him by just maybe at some point when you're with him, pop up on the computer nightside undemand dot com and you'll be able to find your tribute to him, because sure he would be very much appreciative of the time you spend tonight.
Speaker 8: I can I can I share a quote with you that him and I often share with each other, usually reopen and close our conversations. As many millions of dollars that he's worth at this day, he always reflects back with me with a smile, and I was saying, is a smile can be worth a million dollars and it doesn't cost you a dime.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that so well said. I think people are going to steal that. Thanks Campy, please give our appreciation to him the next time you see your friends.
Speaker 8: I certainly well, thank you, Dann, and thank you for all that you do. I love listening to your show. My first time calling in, but I.
Speaker 3: Was, oh, well, we gotta now.
Speaker 2: We way said, we got to give you a ride of the balls.
Speaker 3: It's always amazing.
Speaker 2: When we get first time callers. It's it's part of the thriller of the job, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 8: The fact that you brought up this point is a tribute back to you. So I'm applauding you in my own hot and sol right now for the things that you do it for bringing up this subject because it is very important.
Speaker 2: Thanks Campy. My dad would never forgive me if I didn't. Okay, thanks, good night. Let me get very quickly here. We're gonna get James from New Bedford in James, you were next on NIGHTSAG go right ahead, damn.
Speaker 3: Hi James welcome. How are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can hear you fine.
Speaker 1: Hear me?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I can know yeah, James Montcmer Oh oh yeah.
Speaker 3: It wasn't sure what James was. James the Great blues Man, h James Hawaii.
Speaker 12: Well I'm fine, listen. It's it's such a great topic. That's you know. I remember my father landed in Okinawa, which was which is not a great day.
Speaker 2: No, that was he wasn't going to the beach in Okinawa, that's for sure.
Speaker 12: No, And uh, you know, he got the medal. He pulled the guy out of a burning tank. And I looked back at what my father did, and I was wondering, you know, okay, this is burning tank, it's getting ready to explode. When I have the courage to do what my dad did and and and pull pull a fellow serviceman out of there and save his wife. He got the medal for that. Meanwhile, my mother, my.
Speaker 2: Money would be on you, James. I think I know your character. I have no doubt that there go ahead.
Speaker 12: And my mother was the youngest whack in Europe. You know, she went over there and because she was young, and she was the first whack to serve in Europe. She became like a public relations uh they used to for PRU and she ended up she ended up broadcasting with Edward R. Murrow and uh, you know, honestly, you know, she used to say, oh my god, I was so upset when the war ended because she was like being whisked around in London and Paris and to this as Mi whack. And she was an inspiration to all these women to join the military. And she was on the cover of the Yank magazine with Edward R. Murrow and and underneath the caption that said Miss America. So I think she was the first Miss America because she was over there broadcasting with Edward R. Murrow and the Yank magazine. That's how they promoted her, you know, so that you know, said super imspiration to women to join the Women's Army Corps.
Speaker 2: James real quickly. Did your parents meet for the service by any chance?
Speaker 3: Or now.
Speaker 12: They met before the service and then they got together after the service?
Speaker 8: Where did you have a pig?
Speaker 12: I have a picture of her when Paris was liberated and she was the first of a group of wax the first one to march under the Arc de triumph when Paris is liberated. U.
Speaker 2: Where did your work take you tonight, James? And where will you be up hearing tomorrow night? See?
Speaker 12: Well, you know tonight I did, and I have that documentary about James Cotton that I produced him. So we showed the movie and then we had the show afterwards with a superstar line of Pristine Olmonds from the Saturday I Live and Joe Kaka's guitar player, one of these super bands that we put together. So so we did that to night and the Contuit Senate for the Artsists is wonderful. And then you know, tomorrow I'm playing in Newport. But but you know, I just think it's so important for people to understand what it takes to hold our democracy together. And that's why, you know, I look back at the sacrifices that that my father's generation made in World War Two, and and I just hope that we understand that democracy is fragile and and that we have to be vigilant, and that we have to make sure that we uphold the constitution in this country. And it just I mean, people died to uphold our constitution, and to me, you know, I just want to make sure that that wasn't in vain, all the lives that were given during World War I you that we understand that that they did that so that we can any position to protect our democracy. That's all. They were the greatest generation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well said James. Hopefully I'll see at some point early this summer. My friend will talk soon. Okay. I'm glad you.
Speaker 12: Got the best show in the business you got. I listened to you every night occasion I call him. But but you're you're my You're my shotgun passenger and every trip off from get him.
Speaker 2: Uh that that's an honor to me to be any anywhere need.
Speaker 8: James, let me tell you.
Speaker 3: All right, buddy, we'll talk soon. Okay.
Speaker 2: Give me give me your website for people who look at to catch up where you're going to be in the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: Give us the.
Speaker 12: Website, tell me a while to come up with jameson commy dot com. And that is my head so planned.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's okay, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: That's that's easy.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to make sure I gave out the right information. James, I gotta screwed, gotta run.
Speaker 3: We'll see you soon. Okay, thanks Pat.
Speaker 12: Thank you, right back at you.
Speaker 3: Good night, pal, good night.
Speaker 2: Coming back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So I just got a text from my daughter, who's no longer listening to the show.
Speaker 3: However, she writes to my.
Speaker 2: Family, we're in an ubert and the guy has dad on. So I wrote her, did you probably claim your lineage and thank the driver for listening to Nightside? Ha ha. I was about to, but I gave him a nice tip nonetheless. Okay, thanks Kate, appreciate that. Let's go to Eileen. Eileen, we're getting a little tight on time you're up. Go ahead, Eileen, thanks for calling in.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 11: I actually called I probably a year ago about my uncle David, who was drafted into the army in nineteen forty one and he was a navigator in the Air Corps they called it, and his plane was his plane was shot down in April of nineteen forty four and he was the only survivor and he suffered terrible, terrible they called it shell shock. It's now known as PTSD. Yes, but he was my very favorite uncle and I he did he he talked to me quite a bit about his experience in the Air Force. And so you ask for people, A lot.
Speaker 2: Of great people, a lot of great people. I lean. Thank you very much. I got a couple of more folks. I want to sneak in here. Thank you as always for calling, and I thank you for reminding us of your uncle David and uh again of this greatest generation. Thank you.
Speaker 3: We'll talk soon and have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you you too.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, gonna get Neil and Watertown and then Ginea, New Jersey. Neil, you've called late. You go right ahead. You gotta be quick, buddy, go ahead, all right.
Speaker 10: I just want to say I have nothing original to say, but I do acknowledge Memorial Day and Veteran's Day and everything of that nature. Acknowledge it formally day today and today's in D day. Yeah, it's funny. I think of Robert Kennedy today with so good great But that's all I'm saying. I mean, I'm taking the time to acknowledge it formally.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much, Neil. I do appreciate you taking the time to call in. I know you're a regular listener and if we talked to you occasionally. But thank you very much. Hope all is well with you, and we'll talk again, talk to you.
Speaker 10: Thank you tonight.
Speaker 3: You're very welcome. Let me go to Jean in New Jersey. Jane, welcome.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever had you on the show before, but if I have, great if I'm welcome, particularly warm, welcome, go ahead.
Speaker 11: Jean, thank you. Two years ago, I think I called probably Veterans Day to acknowledge my brother. And I'm of the greatest generation at my age.
Speaker 9: But anyway, he did.
Speaker 11: He was with the Army eighty second Airborne. He did go in the Norman the invasion. He survived the Normandy invasion, and then he went on into the next operation. They went into that operation Market Garden when they invaded and tried to liberate Holland. And he was killed in Holland. And he's buried in Holland in the American Battleground Cemetery, And we have an adopter and adoptive program there. They take care of the graves of our boys and girls. And it's eighty seven hundred souls resting there in Margaret in Holland. So I just acknowledged him. He was my brother, and I'm sorry to say we lost him, but he was a wonderful guy and you a hero.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know I'm not of the greatest generation. I'm a baby boomer, but my generation, I know, is in awe of what the generation be for us accomplished so well.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 11: I keep keep his memory alive too with the family. They know about his uncle, and I know what happened, and they appreciate, so we do try to keep it alive.
Speaker 2: Well, you kept you kept his memory alive tonight in a lot of radios and a lot of homes across the country and audibobiles. Thank you, Thanks Jean, we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you much for listening.
Speaker 11: Thank you Dan for all you do. Okay, welcome, bye bye, thank you bye.
Speaker 2: Good some real quality calls tonight in the eleven o'clock hour. I want to thank everyone who called during the eleven o'clock hour. We had done for the night. Think about a veteran this weekend, I would ask you to do that. Today's the eighty first anniversary of D Day. We can never forget. We can never forget. My name's Dan Ray. This is a Nightside. Want to thank Shane and Rob back in the control room. Want to thank Karen Buscemi who worked on the show with me today. I'll be back on Monday. I hope all of you have a great weekend. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's right, pal Charlie ray Is who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's where all your pets are who have passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. Hopes see again on Monday night. Everyone, please tell you friends about Nightside. My name's Dan Ray.
Speaker 3: Have a great weekend. All