Speaker 1: We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked.
Speaker 2: And complete the dang fins. This bill that we will find today is not a revolutionary bill.
Speaker 1: Have old your bucket where you are.
Speaker 3: We have the facts, and I am, you know, animantly against illegal immigrants.
Speaker 2: They're coming in by the thousands, Just unbelievable. All is an immorality.
Speaker 1: Who are you rooting for?
Speaker 3: Those masters of the universe are added again, They're not sending their best your man, you flowing up.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Parsing Immigration Policy, the podcast of the Center for Immigration Studies. My name is Mark Gricorian, executive director of the Center, and today we're going to be talking about one of the alphabet soup of visas. They start with A and I think it for now goes to V as in victor. There isn't a W yet, although there probably will be. But one we're talking about is the J visa. And that's important because it covers a whole bunch of different things. Ostensibly, it's for cultural exchange, and anybody who's followed immigration long enough knows that that kind of term is kind of Orwellian lie, or at least an exaggeration because there are some people, there are sub categories of this j visa. Some people really are coming for cultural exchange or educational exchange purposes, but there's a whole lot of people coming basically as foreign workers. Everything. Pretty much every visa program turns into a worker program. It's kind of like the there's a rule I forget. There's several people who have claimed this rule, and that is that any organization that isn't explicitly conservative will become more liberal over time. Well, I think it's a similar thing with visa programs. Any visa program that isn't explicitly not for employment will become a foreign worker program over time. And so we have in studio our own Jessica Vaughan, Director of Policy Studies, who is going to talk about what's the story with jay visas. And one of the reasons is timely is that many the large parts of the Javisa program or programs within the under the JAY visa are related to summertime. There's something called summer work travel, which she'll talk about. We've did a long, published long reports about this a number of years ago. It's also a camp counselor's program which is presumably mostly summer related. So in a sense, this is the JAVISA is kind of a summer visa, though not explicitly or exclusively, And so it seemed that it was pretty timely to get a kind of overall look at what's going on with javisa. So, Jessica, thanks for coming in, and maybe you decide where to start, but maybe what are the components of the javisa the sub programs under this visa umbrella.
Speaker 2: Hi Mark, Yes, glad to be here. And this is another one of those visa programs that was sold to US as something a cultural exchange program. But not only are these visitors mostly workers, but also few of them are meaningful exchanges, which you know, you would think about Americans also going overseas, but that only happens in some of these programs. And there are about fifteen categories of exchange visitor visas, ranging from doctors, o pairs, camp counselors to these summer work travel visitors workers who are working as lifeguards and scooping ice cream and cleaning hotels and so on. There are some that are purely academic short term scholars college students participating in a genuine exchange from overseas, and then there are plenty of American students who go the other direction, or high school students as well, But the non work categories only represent twenty percent of the total of JAY visas that are given out, at least as far as the twenty twenty five numbers go. In twenty twenty five, there were two hundred and seventy five thousand JAY visas issued, and only twenty percent of them were in what we think of as the traditional exchange programs like high school fulbright scholars, short term scholars, even visiting professors and government visitors are another category, but they're all much smaller than the work categories.
Speaker 1: Just the real exchange programs would be just to sort of clarify for people like if an American goes to Italy for his sophomore year abroad, and some Italians say, comes here for his sophomore year, But that's what a javisa is kind of supposed to be. And there are some people.
Speaker 2: Like that, right, yes, there are some people like that. There are some problems in those programs as well, which relate back to one of the fundamental problems with the entire program, which we can talk about in a little bit. But yeah, and it's not an insignificant number of visitors either. As I said, two hundred and seventy five thousand people coming in under these programs. And the issue here is that it is a work visa program, but it is run by the State Department, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and that director reports to the Undersecretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs. So these programs, this visa category was invented and sold to the public and to Congress as a tool of public diplomacy. This idea that I think is pretty controversial that if we just allow all these nice foreigners to come here and experience America, they're going to love it. They're going to love us, They're going to go back home.
Speaker 1: And America right, Well, that's kind of the point. Really. Originally, that's the whole reason to have foreign students too, at least that's the way you know, jed regular foreign student program.
Speaker 2: But it simply doesn't work that way. It is a honestly a lucrative, cheap labor program for the most part, and often these experiences are fine. In a lot of cases they are exploitative, but someone's making money on it, and the people doing that are third parties that the organizations that have been a proved by the State Department to run these exchange programs. There are more than fifteen hundred of them who are approved as quote unquote cultural exchange organizations. And they all have these names like the Institute for Promoting Global Understanding or you know, the Organization for World Peace through Cultural.
Speaker 1: Exchange, did George orwell call your.
Speaker 2: Office right And they're nothing more than glorified staffing companies for the most part, at least the ones that run the work oriented JVISA programs. And this is part of the problem. First of all, these are these programs are in the wrong agency you know, State Department should you know has no business overseeing these programs. It ought to be managed by the Labor Department. But this is the other problem is that these sponsors and the State Department has basically outsourced all oversight to these companies hu use companies who are making big money off of this program off of these visas. How does it work? The sponsors usually hire recruiters in other countries to find people who are willing to pay money thousands of dollars for the chance to come and work in the United States, even study in the United States. What could go wrong with that, right, So then they turn around and offer these workers to employers who can pay them pretty much whatever they want. They're supposed to house and feed them, but they're not usually subject to the kinds of monitoring or wage controls that exist, at least theoretically in some of our other guest worker programs. And you know, this time sometimes leads to exploitation. It's like almost guaranteed to bring exploitation. There's only one situation that I know of that has been regulated adequately by a state for wages, and that is the state of Massachusetts. Because of some horrible cases involving pairs and OH pairs are one of the work categories under the j VISA program, they passed a state law that mandates that OH pairs be paid the state minimum wage. And that was very controversial because you know, the placement companies who actually have been forced to do a better job to screen these people. It used to be that almost anybody in some other country could apply as an O pair, whether they you know, have any interest in caring for children, are any good at it? Now they at least have to go through training, and in Massachusetts they have to earn minimum wage. So that's a good example of how a state is being responsible about it. But that's the only state that I know of that does that. And I don't think that the state of Massachusetts is looking into, for example, the kids work in his lifeguards or scoop and ice cream on Cape Cod or any of those situations.
Speaker 1: And there's also no labor market test to prevent American workers from being displaced or harmed. Right, that's right.
Speaker 2: And a lot of the jobs, particularly under the Summer Work Travel program, which is the largest J VISA program and it's one hundred and five thousand of these visas were given out in twenty twenty five for summer work travel in particular.
Speaker 1: And so they're in like resorts basically like you were saying Cape Cod, but I mean they're in like beach resorts. People often wonder, you know, I'm going to a beach resort and there's this bulgarian girl, you know, scooping ice cream or whatever it is hotel. Those those are J visa.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. There's some quote unquote sponsor ie staffing company that you know, hired a headhunter to get that young woman to pay thousands of dollars to come here and hopefully be living in a nice dorm and meeting nice people and getting paid, you know, and reasonably working reasonable hours. But it doesn't always work out that way. And our colleague Jerry Camer wrote about this for years. All those stories are on our website. You can even read about it in the New York Times, the exploitation of j one workers.
Speaker 1: But nothing point was American kids who want summer jobs, you know in Ocean City for instance. I think you may have worked in summer jobs in Ocean City, Maryland, which is on the beach. And Jerry wrote about this. A lot a lot of those jobs again, summer you know, jobs for college students, teenagers, what have you, would be filled in January February before the American kids who maybe during spring break would go out there and start lining up jobs. Well, it's too bad, jobs are already filled by foreign workers.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, worked in an Irish pub on the boardwalk in Ocean City for two summers. So these are not jobs Americans won't do. These are staffing companies who convince employers that they can solve all their recruitment needs by bringing in workers from abroad. And by the way, even though their name is the Institute for World Peace or whatever it is, they're making money off of this arrangement sometimes, you know, at the expense of American kids not having opportunities and visa workers being abused, and you know, when they complain, they don't have any recourse because the State Department has totally outsourced oversight to these sponsoring organizations. And that is a problem that even when violations occur, these staffing companies slash sponsors are almost never barred, never suspended, never held accountable for the problems in this program. So it's you know, it's sort of at best a cheap labor program that does displays Americans, but at worst it really can involve human trafficking. Can be a form of human trafficking.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Not only that there is a higher than average overstay rate in the exchange visitor category that we know, you know from the DHS monitoring of overstays that's occurred in recent years, and you know some countries have double digit overstay rates. We have seen a slight decline in issuance. It's not really a significant decline in j visa issuances under the Trump administration. The decline is less than ten percent from about you know, just over three hundred thousand issued in twenty twenty four to about two hundred and seventy five thousand in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: But that still means a quarter million foreign workers when you take out the real exchange people.
Speaker 2: And those declines happen in the scholarly categories. And I suspect that it's a result of fewer Chinese being getting Jay visas to come here, as you know, and there have been some problems with those. There have been these cases of Chinese short term scholars who have been caught, you know, bringing in monkey brains or taking out you know.
Speaker 1: Espionage, industrial espionage, or stealing secrets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on American college campuses, no less, but I suspect that that's the reason for the decline. The number of summer work travel visas has stayed almost exactly the same.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, And so there is this high rate of overstays. But you know, that's something that really needs to be addressed in terms of visa issuances, like and you know, countries that with high overstay rates shouldn't be getting these visas, and we are seeing a little bit of a decline in that in certain situations. But really this is going on the way it has always gone on. And in my experience and observation, the people who are put in charge of this office at the State Apartment, the ECA, it's called Educational Cultural Affairs kind of understand their job as one of sort of Kumbai, ya feel good, let's promote America. And they don't really understand how these programs operate, how they're used, and that's a problem. They really need to dig down into this a little bit more. It usually only happens when there's some kind of scandal.
Speaker 1: Now you may may or may not know this, but this is the kind of situation where I would expect there's some kind of revolving door where a State Department official. It seems like some of them would then move to work for these contractors that they've been paying for all these years. I mean, this is the kind of you know, what is it, one hand washes the other sort of revolving door kind of thing.
Speaker 2: There have been people in oversight roles who were career Foreign Service officers. I worked with some of them on reforms years ago. But usually it is civil service employees, you know, which can be a good thing if they really take seriously their role in keeping an eye on these programs. But historically it just has not worked well. I mean, there's just no way. State Department is not set up to oversee staffing companies, right exactly, especially fifteen hundred of them that are working all over the country.
Speaker 1: Now, they do have to be certified or whatever by the stay is a.
Speaker 2: Process, right, yes, But once they get certified again, like there's if something goes wrong, there really is no accountability that happens. I can't you know. I've tried to find an example of a staffing of excuse me, sponsor that was barred because of violations, and they can't find one.
Speaker 1: They usually can't do. I mean, the State Department has the power.
Speaker 2: To do that, but usually they're just suspended until they fix things.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: So the sponsor might get rid of some dodgy third party that they've allowed to work under their umbrella. But it's a very comfortable relationship that they have because this is about world peace mart right.
Speaker 1: Right, I understand, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's really the key to reforming this. I mean, you know, when you think about the kind of nightmare scenarios that happen, and there have been many of them, it boils down to someone seeing an opportunity to make a buck.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The one case I tell people about a lot that they're shocked by is this case. And this is how. It's not just the summer work travel program. It's also some of these academic exchanges. There was a case out at Western Iowa Technical Community College, which.
Speaker 1: Is preposterous to begin with, that any community college should have any visa access of any kind foreign students to any of that stuff. It's ludicrous anyway, Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So there were dozens, I think it was about three dozen from South America who were recruited to come for what they were told was a culinary and robotics education program, and they literally ended up working long hours in a dog food factory, and the staffing company was garnishing half their wages for their living expenses in the dorms and their tuition right. And it turned out that the community college ended up settling for like eight million dollars to give back to these students. It turned out that the person running the staffing company was an employee of the community college and a friend of theirs that was being paid to recruit students in South America.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So explain to me how this is promoting the United States of America as a great country and at all enhancing our public diplomacy mission worldwide. It just isn't a.
Speaker 1: Couple of the other I mean, summer work travel we've talked about, and that's the biggest work program under the JAY visa. But the ones that people might also be more familiar with is the camp counselor's program. Right, there's a separate program to import counselors for summer camps from abroad, because apparently teaching kids how to make little bracelets or whatever it is is a job American two two and also O pairs, which a lot of which more people are going to be familiar with. Anything interesting about those two programs other than the.
Speaker 2: Fact that there, you know, we're still giving out a lot of them. Twenty twenty five, there were thirty two thousand, four hundred and seventy J one visas issued for camp counselors. Sure it is absurd, and sixteen thousand, eight hundred and forty OH pair visas.
Speaker 1: And the numbers there are interesting because that's a smaller the OH pairs. Obviously it's a smaller number, but OH pairs are used by a pretty elite layer of society, the very kinds of people who either themselves help make government policy or have the kind of outsized voice like they're in the same country club as the congressman. And so it becomes hard to crack down on that kind of thing because you're going to hear from it from your from the wives of your golf buddies, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: That is exactly the same with the camp counselors when you think about it. These are camps that are usually in very nice places and have all these nice smiling people from you know, Bulgaria and Thailand and wherever for this cultural experience at this expensive summer camp. That's how these programs are perpetuated.
Speaker 1: So how much of the specifics of the jvs, of the particular labor importation programs, how much of those are set in statue? In other words, is there an actual law that says there have to be there has to be a camp counselor program, or is that the kind of thing that state departments say developed through regulation and could change through regulation.
Speaker 2: The State Department has all the discretion to determine these categories, and in fact, they could just decide that we're not going to have some of these categories at all, right, right, if somebody had the courage to do that.
Speaker 1: It gets back to the country club golf buddies issue.
Speaker 2: But so the point is, and I think basically understanding awareness, Like they're like, oh, that's the full bride program, right, you know, I mean they just don't understand. So yeah, this is my understanding is of the law is that this is totally within the discretion of the State Department in administer. And there are some programs that they're going to want to keep, like the government visitor program. That's when you know, our government sponsors some people to come over, you know for some kind of interaction or conference, and you know that's those are good programs. Those are public, true public diplomacy. But that's not even thirteen hundred people a year, right, So you could cut this program by eighty percent and make it an actual public diplomacy program. But I suppose Congress could direct the State Department or say, you know, we're only going to fund you to do these kinds of exchanges.
Speaker 1: Well, holding my breath on that, since Congress has trouble naming post offices, let alone anything else. But the point is this is something that Secretary Rubio, for instance, could have his people work on at least rein in if not get rid of some of these.
Speaker 2: Categories to create some oversight right right and meaningful. I mean, I think that there should be stifferent penalties for sponsors, and I think also one of the things they could do very easily is say, if you have any overstays who came over under the auspices of your sponsored program, you're not doing it again next year, right right. Some of the people I know who've worked on the government run exchange program, and there are people who are getting the visas who are coming from countries with high overstay rates, they escort them to the airplane right to make sure they go home, because they want to preserve that program for the future. But no such expectation is there for sponsors in these work j visa programs, and.
Speaker 1: There should be and I mean even like look O pairs for instance. Again the numbers are small, but the kind of people who are interested in policy are going to know more about O pairs probably than maybe the camp counselors of the summer work travel. The pretense is that there's some kind of cultural exchange going on, whereas you know, college age girls from some place changing diapers and they get a day off a week where they go to the bar, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And to Americans, it's just.
Speaker 1: The whole premise of it is preposterous.
Speaker 2: It is. And it's not like again like there are no Americans who would work, as there are plenty of them, right yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing is though, and this is and this is true with the summer work travel for the you know, resort jobs in the summer, even cam counselors, is that when this flow of some quarter million foreign workers concentrated in these areas happens over a number of years, it distorts the labor market so that when say a O pair company might otherwise have had a kind of nationwide recruiting program, well why bother to do that when it's just so much easier. There's people lining up in Columbia to go and do it. So let's just take the kind of path of least resistance and just use the visa program.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's exactly what happens in the J program summer work travel, just like the other guest worker programs, whether it's H two B, H two A.
Speaker 1: Are there any numerical caps on any of this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, okay, so it's.
Speaker 2: Totally totally unlimited. It's you know, which makes it a rising that you know.
Speaker 1: It's only a coteriated foreign workers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And summer work travel is only one hundred and five thousand, So are there maybe it's because there's only so many people abroad? Will you fork over the money to the recruiter.
Speaker 1: There's seven billion people in the world that probably could be bigger, and it would get bigger over time if you know there weren't some kind of oversight or standards. So, as far as reform goes, are you aware of anything within state to tighten up on these or are there any legislative proposals to.
Speaker 2: Tighten up No, I'm not aware of anything at the moment. The State Department, as far as I've seen over decades, is that they only move to tighten up on it when there's some scandal, right that emerges as a result.
Speaker 1: But even there, you have the same you have a similar phenomenon to what we've seen over the past couple of months, where, for instance, ICE or others will crack down on fraud in some pro cracked on an H one B fraud or on OPT fraud, but doesn't actually change the program itself. In other words, if there's I mean just to pick camp counselors. If there's enough fraud, I have no idea. If there is or not, or exploitation or something, then get rid of the thing rather than make a big show of arresting a couple of people or maybe debarring a company from participating and then just its business as usual the next year.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's that's the problem is that nobody wants to really attack it conceptually. They just always think that they can fix it through more regulation, when the best regulation would be not to have it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so short of that, which obviously would be the way to do it, are there some specific concrete things, you know, two or three things that are realistically achievable that would at least make this less harmful than it is already?
Speaker 2: The work programs should be turned over to the Labor Department and given to them.
Speaker 1: To regulate, and that could be done right now. There's a statute doesn't say that it has to be done by the state department.
Speaker 2: Uh, that I'm not sure about. I think there would have to be change, yes, okay, yes, to do that. You know, if they feel like, you know, America can't live without their foreign lifeguards and ice cream scoopers and okay, Labor department run it like a labor program. There are penalties for labor violations, and they you know, they know how to run guestworker programs because that's what it is. And again, you know, I think there should be deparment of any sponsor who does not make sure that every person who comes on a jvisa departs right. And I think states could get involved also in regulating the employers who are taking advantage of these programs and the sponsors that are licensed in their states right to take care of it. But you know, again, I think it's increasing awareness of how these programs are actually run that's critical to getting anybody to take action. There's one other category of j visas that we haven't talked about, and I don't want that a lot of people aren't familiar with how this operates, and that's the what's called the Alien Physician program. Okay, this one is not a public diplomacy program in any way. It's really a brain drain program that allows foreign medical grads to come here on exchange visas and be placed in what they call underserved.
Speaker 1: Areas, rural areas something like that.
Speaker 2: To work as doctors and then stay here. And there were forty six hundred of those given in twenty twenty five. And you know, we can debate over whether we have a shortage of doctors and why, but the really insidious thing about this category is that these foreign doctors actually are play least first in the annual placement of new medical school graduates wow into jobs, and you know, they get their assignments first, and there are literally American medical school grads who are not able to get jobs right as a result.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's even an organization Doctors without Jobs right, or as I call it, and prois that two is a takeoff on the Doctors without Borders. That's interesting. I forgot that was under j And there's also isn't there some issue where they're not allowed to convert to a Green card while they're here, but they can get a waiver, and the waivers are like has become kind of the standards, like everybody gets a waiver.
Speaker 2: Right right. There is a section of the law that says that if you come to the United States on a jay visa, that you may not return unless you get a blessing from your home country. But the doctor, you know that that has there are all these exceptions to it now and particularly for the doctors that you know a lot of people are able to avoid that and end up staying here. In the case of the overstays, obviously they just stay. They don't care. But that is something defenders of this program point to as a way of saying, well, this is not a brain drain. You know, this is how we make sure they go home, but it really doesn't work in practice. And I you know, again, that's something the State Department could look at enforcing more rigorously than it has.
Speaker 1: And good, let's we've hit our half an hour and just too for people's information, we have a short paper that's going to be on the website that kind of gives it's not so much analytical, it's kind of what are the numbers, what's the current situation, just so people know. And this really is something that is one of these guestworker programs like OPT that runs to some degree under the radar, and actually this is even more under the radar because at least OPT Optional Practical Training, which is another Orwellian label, has kind of broken out more into the public consciousness. Whereas the quarter million foreign workers were importing every year under various jvs of programs. It's something that really hasn't broken out into the public and so hopefully this will bring a little more attention to it, and I'm confident you will keep your eye on this in the future. Thanks Jessica for coming in.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Parsing Immigration Policy. Thank you to our guest, thank you to our producer Brian Griffith, and thanks to all of you for tuning in, and I hope you'll tune in next week.