Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 3: The moment.
Speaker 1: I walked outside this morning and there was like missed. Oh yeah, it wasn't really drizzled. It was just this light, light, light mist. And I was like, that makes me think of Johnny Maths. Isn't that who it is?
Speaker 4: I thought London, the city of London, but yeah, Johnny Athestu.
Speaker 1: Okay, when I was in London it was sunny and warm, so I don't have a good reference.
Speaker 4: That mist is making for a messy drive in some spots. So I'll have that coming up.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, thank you. Will Colech there. Hey, guess who's back in the nest. Sonny came back yesterday. First she was hovering over the nest, of course, talking about the big bear eagles. Sonny left the nest, but then she came back and she's there this morning with Gizmo. I think Gizmo looked very lonely, and so we're still waiting for Gizmo to fledge or leave the nest. That man, she was flapping good yesterday. It's sort of like she was like, Okay, Sonny left, Now it's my turn. So we'll see what happens, especially now that now that Sonny is back, maybe that is a disincentive, but we'll keep watching. There was like one hundred thousand people watching Yesterday's crazy. Yeah, it was crazy. It's so wonderful. I just love it.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 1: Right, here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The family of a four year old Mexican girl in Bakersfield being treated for a life threatening illness has been granted a reprieve from possible deportation. The federal government granted the family humanitarian parole, which allows them to stay in the country for another year. Doctors at Children's Hospital LA said if she didn't get continued treatments, she could die within days. The Department of Justice is looking into people pardoned by former President Biden. The DOOJ is going to investigate whether staff took advantage of the former president in issuing pardons to over fifteen hundred people, including his son Hunter and other family members, doctor Anthony Fauci and January sixth committee members. The mural of Kobe and GG Bryant downtown LA has been vandalized again. The mural honoring the Lakers star and his daughter who were killed in a helicopter crash. Was first defaced in April. The artist restored the mural on Main Street last month, and now it's all messed up again. Okay, some other things that are coming up on wake Up Call this morning. The Nintendo Switch is finally going to be available. Your kids are probably very excited about it. Rich de Murro's joining us at five point twenty to tell us how much it costs, what's new, and whether you can even get it. It releases officially tomorrow. Also, you can now photoshop on your Android, and if you're tired of typing, Rich has an app for that for iPhone users. Amy's on it, I'm on the stream. The series has wrapped. Does it do its job or does it fall short? We'll tell you the tale coming up at bottom of the hour. And a guy who sent a letter threatening to assassinate President Trump. Remember we told you about this. It was really written by a different guy who wanted the guy who is accused of writing the letter deported so we wouldn't testify against him in court. I mean, you cannot make this stuff up. An interesting, interesting story. ABC's Luke Barr is going to join us at five point fifty to tell us about the tangled web this guy weaved. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom that thunderca Clap was one of several during lightning strikes that closed beaches in Orange County. Beaches and piers were closed yesterday, and Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, and Seal Beach in the Inland Empire Riverside also had lightning strikes that prompted public safety agencies to go on alert. We had thunder and lightning at my house. I absolutely loved it. It was so cool, especially in the afternoon. I love a good afternoon thunderstorm. LA police have shot and killed a man during a confrontation in the Harvard Heights neighborhood of South LA. Officers were called last night about shots fired at an apartment complex near Ardmore Avenue on Eleventh Street. The shooting happened shortly after they arrived. The man died at the hospital. Police say they found a gun and several shell casings. LA County DA Nathan Hawkman says the man charged with killing a police officer and another man in Baldwin Park is expected to be arraigned this week. Eduardo Medina Beruman is still in the hospital being treated for his injuries from Saturday night's shootout. Hawkman says he'll make sure that justice prevails.
Speaker 6: And bringing mister Beruman to justice and making sure he is held fully accountable for his actions.
Speaker 1: Beruman is charged with two counts of murder, one of attempted murder, and two other counts. He could get the death sentence because of special circumstances allegations. Hotel and airport workers are urging voters in LA not to sign a petition to overturn a recently approved minimum wage hike that will give them thirty dollars per hour by twenty twenty eight. Members of the Tourism Workers Rising C coalition that lobbied for the wage increase rallied in downtown LA yesterday as part of their campaign defend the wage. LA backers of the petition say the pay raise is going to bump up labor costs and could force some businesses to lay off employees or be forced to shut down altogether. Let's take a first look at your morning commute We got some fog lingering in the Cone Pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quite a bit of it.
Speaker 4: Actually, looking at the Caltrans cameras, it's hard to see even the lights of the traffic there. On I fifteen's you hit southbound through the cohone Pass, a little bit of slowing. It's slower than usual at this time of day, but probably because of that fog, So just factor that into your drive. Also, quite a bit of slowing on the northbound side of the five. This is going to be in the downy Norwalk area between the six oh five and slows and that's Caltrans roadwork that is being picked up.
Speaker 7: It's overdue.
Speaker 4: It's supposed to be picked up at around five, but now it's going to go a little overtime there, so expect some slowing again northbound five six oh five up to Slawson and on the northbound seventy one at Valley Boulevard, we've got a pickup truck that went over the side as well. CHP is there on the side dealing with that with Southern California's most accurate traffic reports.
Speaker 1: I will Cole Schreiber, thank you.
Speaker 5: Will.
Speaker 1: Well's going to keep us up to date as the morning goes on, make sure you can get where you're going. As you mentioned, the road's a little bit soggy, and I was a little bit worried about it. It was a little bit slippy, yeah, but not bad because it wasn't like rain rain, right, although yesterday we had rain in the valley. Oh we had rain at my house too. We had and thunder, the thunder and lightning. Was I'm so.
Speaker 4: Close to washing my car yesterday morning, and I'm I'm so glad I didn't waste that money a one time.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has detained the family of the man in Colorado accused of fire bombing supporters of Israeli hostages in Gaza.
Speaker 8: That head of Homeland Security Christinomes said an investigation is now under way to determine to what extent the suspects family knew about this heinous act, if they had knowledge of it, or if they provided support to it. Forty five year old Mohammed Suliman was arrested following Sunday's attack, in which twelve people were injured with a makeshift flamethrower and molotov cocktails. He's been charged with a hate crime, with FBI investigators saying he planned for a year targeting pro Israel supporters. I'm Nick Harper and Washington.
Speaker 1: The Justice Department says two Chinese nationals smuggled a potential agro terrorism weapon into the US. It's a fungus that's known to kill crops and is harmful to humans. Former senior Pentagon official Steve Ganyard says the fungus could have disastrous effects on the country. The potential here for serious damage to the US economy is actually very.
Speaker 9: Very scary.
Speaker 1: The two were allegedly getting Chinese government funding for their research. Authorities in Arkansas have revealed an image of what a convicted murderer and former police chief known as the Devil in the Ozarks may look like two weeks after he escaped from prison. The rendering shows fifty six year old Grand Harden with hair on the sides of his head and facial hair. Harden was serving sentences for rape and murder when he escaped from prison on May twenty fifth. Authority say he was wearing what looked like a law enforcement uniform. The Israeli militaries. AID distribution centers in Gaza are being shut down as roads leading to the sites have become combat zones.
Speaker 10: The Israel Defense Forces says people will be prohibited from entering the centers or traveling on roads leading to them. AMAS officials say over two dozen Palestinians were killed near an AID center by the Israeli military early Tuesday. US back Gaza Humanitarian Foundation says it hopes to resume distributing aid again on Thursday.
Speaker 1: I'm Michael Kassner, a top Cuban official, is accusing the US of escalating tensions with the island. ABC's and as de La Katera says the official is even voicing concerns of a possible conflict.
Speaker 9: Senior Cuban official Joanna Tablada saying the Trump administration has been ratcheting tensions between DC and Havana, adding she is worried the US is trying to provoke a military confrontation.
Speaker 1: She says since President Trump took office, Cuba was put back on the list of state sponsors of terror. Disgraced former attorney Tom Girardi's been sentenced to more than seven years in prison for ripping off nearly twenty million dollars from clients with a long running Ponzi scheme. In handing down the sentence yesterday, the judge said the disbarred ex attorney wielded his power against vulnerable people who'd gone to him for help. Girardi, who turned eighty six yesterday, was also ordered to pay more than two million dollars in restitution to four of his clients, plus fines. Elon Musk is trashed President Biden's legislative agenda, posting on social media that the One Big Beauty Full Bill Act is, in his words, a disgusting abomination. House Speaker Mike Johnson says musk stance is disappointing.
Speaker 6: Elon is missing it okay, and it's not personal.
Speaker 1: I know that the ev mandate very important to him.
Speaker 6: That is going away because the garment should not be subsidizing these things.
Speaker 1: Johnson says the mandate is part of the Green New Deal, which has an effect on Musk's business. Closing arguments have begun at Harvey Weinstein's sex crimes retrial in New York. Is lawyer portrayed Weinstein as the falsely accused poster boy of the me Too era, a prosecutor said the former movie Mogul preyed on women he thought would never speak up. Closing arguments are set to wrap up today and then the mostly female jury is expected to start deliberations. Weinstein is pleaded not guilty to raping a woman in twenty thirteen and forcing oral sex onto others in two thousand and six. More people are cooking at home since the pandemic.
Speaker 7: The soup company Can, which also makes V eight and Pepperdge Farm, is seen an increase in sales of their meals and beverages across different income levels. New data shows many consumers are worried about the economy. In an April survey by The Economist in Yugo of nearly half of respondent's described the economy as poor, with fifty three percent believing it's getting worse. The trend of eating in is similar to early twenty twenty, when the pandemic led to Lockdown's unemployment and a decline in spending. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: A woman from Canyon Country is expected to plead guilty to forty six charges tied to a crime tourism. Ring. Prosecutors say Anna Maria Ariagata and her boyfriend dispatched thieves from South America to shoplift, burglarize homes and businesses, and steal credit cards to the tune of five and a half million dollars over six years. A man in Milwaukee's been accused of trying to get a man who was set to testify against him deported by sending a fake assassination threat letter against President Trump. Prosecutors see Sey Dimitri Scott wrote the letter and signed Ramon Morales Riah's name to it. Scott has been charged with felony witness intimidation, among other things. Morales Rias will be in court today and could be deported. He's here illegally. We're gonna hopefully find out more about that with ABC's Luke bar coming up at five point fifty. A former varsity baseball coach at California High School in Southwoodire has a new wheelchair thanks to the LA Dodgers. Jason Ramirez had to retire from coaching in twenty twenty three after he was diagnosed with ALS that's Luke Garrig's disease. He was presented with the power wheelchair at the Dodgers game on Monday night, Ramirez is a lifelong Dodgers fan. He says the wheelchair is life changing for him. Are we going to say good morning to Rich Demiro almost? We're okay, we're working on that, and so while we work to connect with Rich, he's the tech guy. He should be able to tell us how to fix it. Right, Okay, here's some other stories we're working on in the KFI two twenty for our newsroom. Four men have been arrested and more than two thousand pounds of drugs have been confiscated at a home in Compton, Billise. They got fentanyl, meth amphetamine, cocaine, and thirteen weapons. The men allegedly made more than one and a half million dollars in drug sales in the last two years and avoided detection of what they were doing by using coded language on social media. A youth soccer coach in Rodondo Beach is facing charges for allegedly trying to meet up with a child for sex.
Speaker 2: Police say Jared Cravar is currently free on bail following his recent arrest. He's been charged with having hundreds of items of child pornography in his possession. Cravar was arrested after he allegedly trying to set up a meeting with what he thought was a minor for its sexual purposes. Investigators say Cravar may have more victims due to his position as a youth soccer coach, and they're asking anybody with any information to come forward. Mark Mayfield, KOFI News.
Speaker 1: Three young girls from Washington State who were reported missing on Friday have been found dead. The girls were five, eight, and nine years old. Their father is now wanted for murder. He had picked up the girls for a custodial visit, but police Captain Brian Chantz says they did not return when they were supposed to.
Speaker 6: With no reported history of problems with the parenting plan. There were no reported or there were, I'm sorry. There were reported concerns of Travis being homeless and financially stressed recently.
Speaker 1: The father is an Army veteran. He is described as a homeless drifter living in his pickup truck. Officials have not said how the kids died. You see, Riverside School of Medicine is getting its own teaching hospital. It'll have medical offices and eventually a research center. The twenty one acre site near Valley Springs Parkway and Gateway Drive will mark the first hospital dedicated to UCR, which currently trains students at other local hospitals. The project will be funded by the University of California. No timeline or cost estimate has been announced. META is turning to nuclear power to help with future business.
Speaker 11: Facebook's parent company has cut it twenty year deal to secure nuclear power to help meet surging demand for artificial intelligence and other computing needs. The agreement, announced yesterday is the latest in a string of tech nuclear partnerships as the use of AI expands. Surging investments in small nuclear reactors comes at a time when large tech companies need to increase their energy supply for AI and data centers while also trying to meet their long term goals to significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions.
Speaker 1: Dep remark Kaffi News. Senate Republicans plan to meet today to talk about President Trump's signature spending bill, you know, the Big Beautiful Bill. ABC's Mary Bruce says the bill passed the House by just one vote and faces challenges in the Senate.
Speaker 12: At Walmart, the cost of some toys way up. A baby born doll that cost thirty four ninety seven in March now costs forty nine to ninety seven, up roughly forty three percent.
Speaker 1: She says the president wants to get the bill across the finish line as prices rise because of the trade where he started. Four young sea lions treated at the Marine Mammal Care Center in LA for demoic acid exposure are about to be released in Venice. Officials say this morning will also they will announce the end of the current demoic acid bloom and the start of a preparedness campaign for future blooms. All right, looks like we have Rich dmiro Yay on the line because we got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we got a Nintendo switch to I bet a lot of parents are well. I bet a lot of kids are excited. Their parents are ready to fork over some cash. So let's talk about it because it's it's sort of a long awaited release.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this has been eight years in the making since the original one came out. And yeah, tonight tonight, so it's interesting it actually launches.
Speaker 3: And I'm really bad at this stuff.
Speaker 5: But it's midnight Thursday, which is actually like nine pm tonight Pacific. So retailers like Best Buy, Walmart, they are going to have this tonight game stop Target, And yes it does launch at midnight, but I think that's on the East Coast, so that's apparently nine pm here. Four hundred and fifty dollars for the console. Five hundred dollars if you want the bundle. That is what the experts are saying to get because the games are pricey on this anywhere from seventy to ninety dollars.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's going to be improved.
Speaker 5: It's got a bigger screen, it's got better resolution, better frame rate, faster magnetic attaching controllers.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot to like here.
Speaker 5: It's going to be kind of a big deal for gamers because this is a long time coming.
Speaker 1: Like you said, Okay, you mentioned bigger screen. Don't you play it on just a TV?
Speaker 5: Well, the thing about the switch that's kind of unique is that it works as both the portable.
Speaker 3: Gaming system and it can connect to your TV.
Speaker 5: And that's kind of the magic that Nintendo invented a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: So that's what's pretty cool about this.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I heard that they're already sold out. All the pre orders are sold out, So can you get one?
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 5: Pre Orders are sold out, but that does not mean that the stores will not have them tonight. The pre order people will get them, but they're going to of course, like any other event that I've been to in the you know, many years I've been covering this. The stores want people there in person, so they will have you know, it might be limited. We don't know, you know, we don't know what the stock is on this. It could be that everyone that goes tonight gets one. We just don't know until it happens, so we will find out soon enough.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 5: Pre orders, yes, have sold out instantly pretty much every time, but there will be some stock tonight for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's part of the fun of it. When it's something that's so much anticipated like this, is going and getting in line and seeing if you can get one, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Except it could be pretty stressful. I think, I know, I know some.
Speaker 5: People that really want one of these tonight, and it's you know, it's very strategic. Where do I go, What time do I get there? How long am I going to wait in line? When do they tell you that there's nothing. Some of these places they're using raffles, which means even if you're this first person in line, you still may not get it because the thirtieth person might win the raffle. So it just sort of depends.
Speaker 1: I don't like that raffle idea personally me either.
Speaker 3: Me either.
Speaker 1: I'm like, if you're going to get there early in camp out, you should be first in line.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the last time I camped out for one of these things was the PlayStation two, which goes to show you how long I've been doing this.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's move on and talk about It's called Wise's New light Bulb Camera. So it's a tricky little gadget.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they're going to sell a gazillion of these. It's so brilliant. Think about this, a light bulb that screws into a socket, but at the end there is a small security camera on it. So now anywhere you have a light bulb socket, you can install a camera without wires, without solar, without batteries. And the thing about this amy is that people buy these things like crazy on Amazon. They usually cost about thirty bucks, but they come from these really off brands that nobody knows, you know, who's making these things, and how good the security is. This is a major company and for what's this price, fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: That's not bad.
Speaker 5: And you can connect up to five of them, so you can actually have additional light bulbs that are seventeen dollars each, and then if the camera sees motion, it'll turn on all the light bulbs. So it's a really smart little system without a lot of wiring.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then does it also it's got the cameras on it, so then do you see what's going on on your phone? Kind of like a ring.
Speaker 3: Camera exactly, so you can see on your phone.
Speaker 5: You can use the app or it can also record locally, so if you don't want to pay any subscription fees, it can record onto a memory card built into the device, or I guess you put it into the device. The only problem with that is we know amy that if someone stole the camera, they would also steal the memory card. So that's why they sell the cloud backup option, which you know is three dollars a month if you want your clips to go to the cloud, So if someone stole the camera, at least you would still have the clip in the cloud.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it's sold by Wyswyze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're pretty well known.
Speaker 5: They've had a couple of little security issues in the past, but they've really polished those up. So I have no problem suggesting that this is a recommendation of a good camera.
Speaker 3: I have to test it out, but seems like a really good solution.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect. Then Photoshop, which we all know what that is, but I didn't know it wasn't available on Android, but now it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Photoshop launched a version of their mobile app on the iPhone a couple months ago, and everyone was like, wait, what about Android? What about Android? And now guess you can get it on Android. It's a beta version of the app, so not every feature is there, but it brings a lot of those like Photoshop features people love to Android phones, like layering, masking, you can select little objects, you can sort of get blemishes off of people or whatever, you know, erase something from a picture. And of course everyone is all about these AI features, So Firefly is their version of AI. They have a generative fill feature, which means, let's say you take a picture in front of a mountain background, you'd rather be in front of an ocean.
Speaker 3: You can literally.
Speaker 5: Erase the mountains and added ocean. So it's free right now. You can get on Android and it will be free during the beta period and most of the features are I guess many of the features will remain free, but.
Speaker 3: At some point they will introduce some paid features to okay.
Speaker 1: And then you've got a new voice to text app for iPhone users, which what do you need that? Because I do the voice to text on my iPhone all the time and I don't have a specific app for it.
Speaker 5: And are you correcting what it does all the time, like I am, Well, yes, it's horrible.
Speaker 3: I mean it's really bad.
Speaker 1: It's bad, but it's not as bad as my typing.
Speaker 5: No, and it's a little bit faster, and yes, to Apple's credit, it has gotten better. But if you try this, it is called whisper flow WISPR. I will put the link on my website rich on tech dot tv because people are just searching and find different things. But there is an official app. I'm not kidding, Amy. This is single handedly the best app I've ever downloaded on the iPhone.
Speaker 3: Really, it is so good. I'm telling you.
Speaker 5: It gets the punctuation right, it gets the proper nouns right. If you say spult a boulevard, it will get it. Or if you say lasienga like I used to say it before I moved to California, it'll get that right.
Speaker 3: But this is really cool.
Speaker 5: It's free to use for the basic features, and I'm not kidding it is it is so perfect because it does use AI.
Speaker 3: So there's a little quirk.
Speaker 5: About how you have to activate it every time, which is kind of annoying, but it does work and it's just tried it out see if you like it.
Speaker 3: It's it's really really cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, whisper flow without.
Speaker 3: The h exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay. That is all the great tech advice from our tech guy, rich Demiro. You can hear him every weekend on a show called rich on Tech right here on KFI Saturdays. It's from eleven to two. Of course, you can see him. We love seeing you on KTL. You can follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech and everything that we've talked about here and what he talks about on KTLA, you can find all that information on his website, rich on Tech dot TV. Thanks so much, Rich Dmiro.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me Amy. Have a great day.
Speaker 1: You two the man accused of killing a Baldwin Park police officer and another man has been charged with two counts of murder, among other charges. The charges against Eduardo Medina Buruman include special circumstance ALEX allegations, and for that he could get the death penalty if he's convicted. A man who led police on a car chase along with three passengers, including two kids, have been hurt when the chase ended with a crash in Inglewood. The chase started in Culver City around ten am yesterday. The man police were chasing as one and for several felonies, including robbery and carjacking. X is back up and running following a crash. A down detector website says it got thousands of reports yesterday afternoon that X was down and content wasn't loading on personal or major news and information sites. There have been several X outages. X hasn't said what led to this one.
Speaker 13: Amie's on it.
Speaker 12: Aamie's on it, AMI's on Itami's on it?
Speaker 1: What am I on? I'm on the stream. There's so much to watch, how do you know what to watch? And uh I hopefully I can help you out, maybe steer you towards the really good things, maybe steer you away from things that are just a waste of your time. This one a long time coming. It's The Handmaid's Tale Hulu. The six seasons are all now completely out. The series finale has dropped. That dropped last week, and I went ahead and watched it. And I have been a big fan of Handmaid's Tale. I'll tell you. I read the book and hated it, but then I watched the movie or the series and loved it. Weird, right, I watched the final episodes. I'm not going to tell you what happens. I'm not going to give you even any hints, just to say that I think they wrapped it up, but I was disappointed. That's all I'm going to say about that. Now. What I'm going to go back and say is this series started in twenty seventeen, and that was a long time ago. So I thought I need to go back and watch the very first episodes, and I'm glad I did. There was a lot that's happened since then. There's a lot that I had forgotten, and I felt like the last couple of seasons of Handmaid's Tale, while compelling, we're missing something, so going back, it was kind of fun to revisit it, and it was the creepy horror factor that was missing, like when it first came out that the situation that these women were put in is so like otherworldly and unlikely and chilling and scary. I just think the first season was absolutely the best, and then once June gets out of Gilead, I think it lost some of its edge. So the story is always interesting and I always wanted to watch the next one, but it just became more and more unlikely, and the more opportunities that June escaped death when you know, any of the other Handmaids probably would have been wiped out. She made it through, but of course she's the star of the movie anyway. The last episode does bring the series to a close, but like I said, I struggle with it a little bit because it didn't close out the way that I think it should. I do think that they took Margaret Atwood's book and added five more books basically, which was an amazing feat. So kudos to the writers and the actors. Elizabeth Moss of course fantastic as Handmaid offered June Osborne my favorite, though Commander Lawrence Bradley Whitfield is fantastic, and so is a Serena Joy who is Ivonne Strahovsky. Both of them are so good at being bad and then they show you a little good but then you go, oh, I can root for them, and then they're so bad and they do such a good job of that. And then of course also Lydia aunt Lydia played by Anne Dowd. She is so fantastic. So there's some great performances in this. If you haven't watched the whole series, go do it. If you haven't watched any of it, go watch it. It's great. And like I said, I think that the first season was absolutely the best because it's the most chilling, creepy of them all. Time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Courtney Wells Fargo finally escaped the federal reserves cap on its assets. On its assets? What does that mean?
Speaker 13: So here's what happened good morning in this report a sponsored by Total Wine and more so, the federers ave put limits on Wells Fargo's size to penalize the bank for a number of misdeeds, which included employees opening millions of unauthorized customer accounts. So what happened is the Federalserve restricted the bank's size for more than seven years. But this closes the door on nearly a decade of scandals for the lender. It also allows Wells Fargo to pursue growth again because Wells Fargo has spent years cleaning.
Speaker 1: Up this whole big mess.
Speaker 13: But the move by the Fed now and this unprecedented punishment, this never happened before, but it restricted the bank's ability to grow. It also restricted their ability to compete with its financial peers. So right now investors are pretty excited about it that they're going to be back, they're going to be competitive, and Wells Fargo shares are hire in the pre market.
Speaker 1: A Courtney the scandal was it Wells Fargo that was creating accounts for people?
Speaker 13: Yes, they were opening millions of unauthorized customer accounts, but that wasn't the only thing. What was happening is they were getting a ton of pressure from bank management a lot of the employees to be able to speed up their growth. And at the time, back many years ago, I mean Wells Fargo was the third biggest bank in the country, and now they ended up bringing in a new CEO. He was named to the top job in twenty nineteen, and it pretty much was his whole entire job, Charlie Sharf, to fix all of these problems that happened. But I mean, in twenty sixteen, regulators found that Wells Fargo the staff there opened as many as three and a half million accounts without customer's knowledge so that they can meet these aggressive sales targets. So they wanted to rapidly expand, but that was not the way to be able to do it. Through fraud, identity, theft, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: We'll see if they do it right this time. Okay, Exactly a lot of people bought pelotons during the pandemic because there was nothing to do and nowhere to go. And now people want to get rid of them, and now they can. Yeah, well take those pants.
Speaker 13: Hanging on your unused peloton and you could sell now your bike. They're in the process of launching a new platform so folks can sell their use bikes, treadmills, another peloton equipment right now. Really, the way to be able to do it is through Facebook Marketplace. That's how I ended up getting my peloton. This is called Peloton repowered, so it gives them part of the deal, which also helps them, so it's not a deal on the side without Peloton being involved. It's only available in a few cities right now, but there are plans to expand nationwide. There's also an option to have the equipment delivered to you, and I could tell you I would have enjoyed that option instead of moving that heavy peloton myself up to a second floor, second floor place.
Speaker 1: So yeah, not good. Okay, So if you want used peloton, you can sell it and you can buy it used. Now that's exact. And I would imagine that a lot of those used units are very gently used, as they call it.
Speaker 13: As I said, there's a lot of Pelotons sitting there with clothes.
Speaker 1: It's a coat rack instead. Yeah, okay, Hey, is it going to be a gentle day on Wall Street or we're in for a rocky roam.
Speaker 13: Well, here's what happened yesterday. Stocks finished the day higher. Data show the labor market is still holding up. We got a report on job openings the unexpectedly in April that lifted the major benchmarks in the dowrows two hundred fourteen points.
Speaker 1: Now, this morning.
Speaker 13: Earlier we were building on that momentum, but then we got a big miss on another piece of key data in the whole entire employment picture. Leaning up to the big jobs report this Friday, so eighty p said, hiring private payrolls cool to the slowest pace in two years. Private sector payrolls increased by thirty seven thousand last month. That's not a lot. I mean, it missed so many expectations of economists. So it looks like the strong start for the year for hiring is definitely losing steam. And that's why we're seeing a bit of pressure on the markets right now. We're a little changed across the board, but as I said, we were higher for Muslim morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll keep an eye on it. That's getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Thanks, we'll do it again tomorrow. See you later, all right, have a good one. Former legal bigwig Tom Girardi has been send to more than seven years in federal prison for stealing more than fifteen million bucks from his clients in a long running Ponzi scheming. Has to surrender to authorities. July sevenventeenth, Trump Administration's pulled nearly seven seventy million dollars in environmental justice grants for southern California. MET has agreed to a twenty year partnership to use nuclear power for its technology and AI projects. It'll reportedly create one thousand jobs and generate more than thirteen million dollars in annual tax revenue. Let's say good morning now to ABC's law enforcement reporter Luke Barr. And Luke, I know we only have a couple of minutes with you because we had some technical issues this morning, and this story we could talk about all hours for about an hour. But tell us about the illegal immigrant who allegedly send a letter threatening to assassinate President Trump. But things are not as they seem.
Speaker 14: Things are not as they seem. So well, this guy, according to DHS, two weeks ago, sent a threatening letter to the President of United States, which obviously is a big deal, but it might kind of be all a ruse because, according to local authorities in Wisconsin, the letter that was sent on behalf of, or purporting to be from, this guy named Ramon Morales Res, who was in the country illegally, was actually the victim of this crime. So basically, what had happened, according to court documents, is that Morales Rays was the victim of a robbery last year. The guy gets arrested who allegedly robbed him, and he's in jail. Somehow the guy who robbed him finds out that he's illegally in the country and says, his hell of a plan is to get Morales out of the country so that he doesn't have to testify against him. And how does he allegedly do that by writing a letter threatening the president of the United States. Ice picks him up and now he's going through the deportation process.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I mean, like awfully brilliant plan if it would have worked, right. So the guy's in jail right now, waiting for his trial or is he.
Speaker 3: Out, No, he's in jail waiting for his trial.
Speaker 14: And the kind of kicker to all this is that Morales Reys was supposed to testify against this guy on July sixteenth. And so this is all kind of laid out in this court document, which has text of recordings that were made on jailhouse phones. Were basically this guy who's in prison and who allegedly victimized Morales Reyes was laying this all out for everybody to hear, including jail staff. And in fact, he was informed that his plan worked when he was interviewed by Milwaukee Police Department detectives about this case. You know, because when authorities interviewed Morales Res, they asked him, is there anybody that has it out against you? And he said, yes, this guy who allegedly robbed him. And so that's kind of what got the ball rolling on this case.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I know you have to go. Are they trying to keep him here? Now? See?
Speaker 14: Well, DHS has told us that the investigation of the strata is ongoing. They realized that he was determined to be in the country illegally and he's a criminal record. He will remain in custody, in ice custody, but it remains to be seen if he's going to meet that July sixteenth deadline, which is the day for this guy his trial may be seen, if he'll be in the country or.
Speaker 3: Not, or even if he'll be allowed to testify. Okay, I think they're got to sort that out during immigration court.
Speaker 1: And other than that, does Ramon Morales Rayas have a criminal record?
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 14: DHS says that he was in and out of the country at least nine times between nineteen ninety eight and two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: After that kind of becomes.
Speaker 14: Hazy where he was, but obviously he was in the country when he got picked up by Ice and is a convicted criminal.
Speaker 1: Accordantize crazy Okay. ABC's law enforcement reporter Luke Barr would love to talk more about this, but thanks for getting us up to date on it. What a crazy story.
Speaker 8: Crazy story.
Speaker 14: Talk to you guys later.
Speaker 1: I take care. So he doesn't want the guy to testify against him, so he fakes an assassination letter against President Trump so he'll get deported. That'll get you in trouble, which it looks like it's gonna work. Yeah, And like initially I'm thinking, well, then should they should? He should testify and then he should get a pass because of that. But if he has a criminal record before that becomes a little more sketchy. Yeah, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. A woman from Canyon Country is expected to plead guilty to forty six charges tied to a crime tourism. Ring. Prosecutors say Anna Maria Ariagatta and her boyfriend dispatched thieves from southern South America to shoplift, burglarize homes and businesses, and steal credit cards to the tune of about five and a half million dollars over six years between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty four. The indictment says Aria Gatta and her boyfriend, whose trial is scheduled for August, ordered associates who stole credit cards to immediately go to stores like Target, buy a home depot and maxim out by purchasing electronics, gift cards, designer purses, and other high end luxury goods. And they did that quickly before the cards that were stolen could be canceled. News brought to you by Seller's Advantage. A mental health support hotline could face big cuts as the state continues to trim its twelve billion dollar budget deficit. Funding for the free twenty four hour non emergency mental health support lines been cut from fifteen million to five million dollars. Governor Newsom says is actually an increase because the peer run warm line wasn't in his original budget. The Education Department will not be garnishing the social security of student loan borrowers who are in default.
Speaker 7: And Education Department spokespersons as borrowers who have defaulted on their student loans will no longer be at risk of having their Social Security benefits garnished. The government last month restarted collections for the millions of people in default on their federal student loans, and estimated four hundred and fifty two thousand people aged sixty two and older had student loans in default, according to a report from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Advocates encourage the Trump administration to go further to provide relief for the roughly five point three million borrowers in default. Mark Ronner KFI.
Speaker 1: News, Hey, guess what. Disneyland is celebrating its seventieth And it's not a celebration if you're not part of it. So with all the sites and laughter and fun, everyone's excited about Disneyland Resorts seventieth, KFI Am six forty one's to give you a chance to win a family four pack of one day one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park and join this limited time event. So keep listening to Wake Up Call, keep it right here on KFI for your chance to celebrate with us. Offering subject to restriction and change without notice. Yep, it means we have tickets to Disneyland to give away soon, so keep it right here. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app