Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans say hundreds on car Insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, Welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim rosen House along with you from Progressive Field this week as we join you from downtown Cleveland. Guardians opening up post All Star Break play with a nice long home stand against the Athletics and then the Baltimore Orioles at the start of next week. Coming up on our show this week, we will hear from Paul Gillespie that will fill us in on the Guardians amateur draft completed last weekend. He's the senior vice president of Scouting for the Guardians. We'll also visit with Sandy Alamar Junior some All Star memories and he certainly had one of the great games in franchise history as an All Star back in nineteen ninety seven. And it's another edition of at the Ballpark with Senior Vice President Bob Dbiascio that's coming up a little bit later on in our show. But first our weekend review and a short week it was as the Guardians got back to play post All Star Break with a Friday night or at home against the Athletics, and what a start for the Guardians as they got the scoring started in the second inning with a memorable moment for young Jonathan Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: Then two to two hit in the air deep left center field. It's got a chance. It is gone to the bleachers. Jonathan ron Regez has taken one out of here to the bleachers and left center. It's his first home run in the big leagues. And Jonathan ron Regez has given Cleveland a one nothing lead here. In the second, ron Regez and played in thirteen games last year with Cleveland and didn't go deep, and that's number one in his young major league career.
Speaker 2: In the third, Brian Rochio got a board with a one out double, bringing on hell Martinez to the plate.
Speaker 3: The one and it swung on wind drive into left center. That's of a hit, stumbling hitting third as Rokio, he'll still be wave Coleman's score without a throw to nothing. Cleveland on an RBI single to left center by on hell Martinez is thirty fifth run banded in. He had eight last week and he gets a big one there and Cleveland with a to nothing lead.
Speaker 2: Here in the third. And then David Fry was up next runner at first, one down, Cleveland up to nothing in the third.
Speaker 4: The pitch and it.
Speaker 3: Swung out a trill to deep left field hallway.
Speaker 5: Back and go.
Speaker 4: David Fry.
Speaker 2: It's his sport.
Speaker 3: And Cleveland has jumped all over JP sears for four runs here in the first three innings.
Speaker 4: And what a sight to see David.
Speaker 3: Fry go deep, just his fourth home run, giving him seven rby eyes and Cleveland now with a four nothing lead.
Speaker 2: So the Guardians needing just a triple to hit for the cycle as a team in that inning. And it was Jose Ramirez who took care of that.
Speaker 3: The pitch swung on a bloopert that's carrying the deep left center and it's off the wall. Ramirez hit that on the front football bottle.
Speaker 1: You'll go to.
Speaker 4: Third relay through not a time.
Speaker 3: Jose Ramirez in feet first sliding. We'll see how it has scored. That looked like a blooper when it left the band. He was swinging off his front foot with one hand and it carried to the wall and left center. And Cleveland has indeed hint for the cycle here in the third as Ramirez is given credit for a triple. Well, I'll tell you one thing, Oakland in the outfield has not been very good this ending. Carlos Santana brought Ramirez home with a sackfly that made it a four run third inning and a five nothing Guardians lead. And they were back at it in the fourth, two men on and the hot hitting Brian Rochio at the plate. Here's the pitch and it's swung on and drilled near the gap left center that walls way back, and that ball bangs off the wall on his way home, scoring is Wilson.
Speaker 2: Right behind him is Nailer.
Speaker 3: There's no crow into second with a two run double is Rochio and the Guardians now leaded seven nothing. But Brian Rochio has been a different player since returning from Triple A Columbus good, shorter swing serving him well, and that time he cranks went off the wall for a double his ninth but now with fourteen runs batted in. Thea's got on the board in the fifth with a solo home run from All star Brent Rooker, but the Guardians got that run right back in the bottom of the inning a double from Jose Ramirez and then Nolan Jones delivered. Here's his pitch and Jones lines it left side, base it on through in the left headed for third. Being waved around is Ramirez. Here's the throw, it's cut off. Ramirez scores on to second is Jones. He's in safely, and the head parade continues for the Guardians. It is now eight to one Cleveland. Well, Ramire has had to freeze on that line shot near the shortstop, but once it got through, boy, he fired it up and got rolling around third and was able to make it. As the throw was cut off, they had to play at second, but Jones got in there safely, so an RBI single for Jones, now at twenty four driven in on the year. The A's made things closer with a run in the sixth, another in the seventh, but overall it was another impressive performance by starter Slaid Seconi, pitching deep into this one. The pitch swung on another week, ground balled to short charge by Rochio, Gloves throws over, ending over, and an eleven pitch inning first Seconi. That's when he's averaged tonight eleven pitches per inning. He's thrown ninety pitches in what is now a career best eighth innings.
Speaker 2: Seconi was back out there to start the ninth inning, but the Athletics wouldn't go quietly. They scored three runs in the top half of the ninth to make it an eight to six game, and if annual Class was called upon to finish the job.
Speaker 3: Outfield, playing Urshella as much of a pull hitter as you would play any left handed hitter, way around toward right for the right handed batter, the pitch, get him swinging, bowl game chase the low slider, and claus A comes in to get the same. A brilliant effort by Slade Saconi, an oppressive offensive output, and the surging Guardians have now made it seven wins in their last eight games. Tonight, the final score eight to six Cleveland, so.
Speaker 2: A nice win for the Guardians to open up play post All Star Break as they continued to keep those postseason hopes alive. Stay with us, We'll take a time out and come back and talk draft with Paul Gillespie. That's next time and Cleveland Clinnic Guardians Radio on Edword.
Speaker 6: With Progressive Customer Service. There are lots of ways to connect with us, so you never have to miss a second of your favorite sport because you'd much rather watch a ball go through a net one hundred and twenty four times in forty eight minutes when you don't really have to pay attention until the last two and then somehow those two minutes we will take an hour.
Speaker 1: You don't want to.
Speaker 4: Miss all that.
Speaker 6: Luckily, you can chat with Progressive on our app, online or over the phone without missing a single one of those times the ball goes through the metal. Simple Progressive Castilte Insurance Company affiliate to other insurers. Not available in all states or situations.
Speaker 2: Jim Rows announced back with You on Guardians Weekly from downtown Cleveland and Progressive Field. Earlier this week. It was the annual amateur draft throughout Major League Baseball. Paul Gillespie is the Guardians Senior vice president of Scouting, and the two day draft completed earlier this week, allowing the Guardians to add twenty two new players to the system, and Paul says it was certainly a busy time for the staff, but also very exciting to add new talent into the system.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thanks Aby, and thanks for having me. Yeah, definitely a whirlwind. We were able to select twenty two players in this past draft. A two day draft is something that it's new for us to navigate and work through. But I think we did a good job. I think our scouting staff, our front off of staff, our player development folks, everybody worked really hard together to pull off a really successful draft. And we're excited about the players that we were able to select on Sunday and Monday.
Speaker 2: And your first pick was the twenty seventh overall, an outfielder from Texas A and M. Jace Laviolette. Tell us a little bit about him, because it seems like it was a little bit different selection from some one of the hitters that you've taken in the higher rounds in recent years who had good contact and mixed in some power there. But it looks like lav Ltte has that really good power potential. And what did you see in him that led him to be a first round pick?
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, Jason is a physical, athletic, left hand hitting outfielder from text A and M. He stands out for his patients and power profile. He's got a really strong track record of success in college. You know, in his three year career, I think he had sixty sixty eight or sixty nine home runs, just a really exciting package of athleticism, size, we think he's going to stay in certain field, excellent teammate, excellent drive to succeed. We're super excited about bringing him into the organization.
Speaker 2: And then with your second pick, sixty fourth overall. And I remember before the draft started we talked so much about the amount of picks within the first one hundred or so selections, and with the sixty fourth overall, the shortstop out of Tennessee a great program, Dean Curly. And what can you tell us about Curly in terms of where he was selected and why?
Speaker 7: Yeah? No, Dean in a lot of ways similar to Jay's, just a track record of success. And Dean he was the starting shortstop at University of Tennessee when they won the national championship back in twenty twenty four. But he's a large framed athletic, right handed hitting infielder. He's had a well rounded offensive profile, really controls the strike zone, doesn't swing in this much. But he also has a really nice blend of hit and power potential. So he's moved around the diamond a lot. He has experienced in a lot of different positions, and of course you know, he's demonstrated just being a winning player, you know, given his position on the national championship team. So super excited about Dean and really looking forward to bring him to the organization. He's quite the player.
Speaker 2: And just two picks behind him an outfielder from Arizona Aaron Walton. Again, another player from a high profile program. And how much does that matter when when you're looking at what guys could bring once they get into pro ball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's a good question. I mean, he Walton, he was he actually transferred from Sanford before he was at University of Arizona. But when you see a guy do that and he has really strong offensive production at a place like University of Arizona in a big conference like that, it's definitely encouraging. He's a center field We think he is a really good defender out there, but he's also showed promising bad potential and as well as power potential. So he's athletic, he's physical, he's tooled, he has power, and he's he's a guy that we're really excited about. Has some football in his background. He was an excellent wide receiver in high school. So another another player, athleticism, tool speed, and we're really looking forward to bringing him in the organization too.
Speaker 2: Paul Gillespie's joining us. We're talking the just completed draft earlier this week with the senior vice president of scouting for the Guardians, and Paul, let's look at at the seventieth overall pick, and man, you guys are busy in a short period of time with a lot of picks back to back to back, it seems. But you went to high school pitcher Will Hines from a spot that you've had some success before up in Mississauga, Ontario, And and what do you see in him? And and why has that been a spot that's that's yielded some major league talent in the past for Cleveland.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Will is a really exciting, young, projectible randed pitcher. To your point, he's Canadian. Things about him that stand out, I mean, excellent physical projection, he has exciting spin capacity this fastball, and he comes from an athletic background as well. Both of his parents were athletes. So when you put all those things together, delivery, arm action, physical projection, but also sing showing some president spin capacity and the ability to manipulate the baseball. Now, I think that gives him a lot of potential out of upside to be a starter in the future, especially when the later on the things that he can do in terms of just filling the owe with strikes.
Speaker 2: And our last pick that the Guardians had in Day one of the draft one and one overall an outfielder from again a big time program, Oklahoma State, Nolan Schubart. And again it looks like you loaded up on some big guys and tell us about Shoe Barton and what he could potentially do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Schueboard is a guy that we've been following for quite some time. He's born in Detroit and he was high school teammates with with Alex Mooney, who we drafted a couple of years ago. So Schubard is six foot five, two hundred and thirty pounds, left handing outfielder at Oklahoma State University. Things are saying about him are in a lot of ways similar to Jace, just stand out, ability to get on base, control the strike zone. He's got high walk rates over his career, but also big time power potential as a three year starter at Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: And we don't gloss over the remaining rounds that were part of Day two, but just time constraints. We don't have time to get into everybody. But it does seem like quite a few college drafted players from major programs, and you kind of touched on it before, on the importance of that in today's game, it seems like players are making that move toward the major leagues a little bit quicker. I know that the roster sizes are smaller on what you can carry in the minor leagues. Does that come into play at all when when you look at that the experience that they have in college and maybe closer to the major leagues, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 7: I mean, the the colleges in the in the these big conferences are so competitive these days, and the competition is really high. So when you have these guys that go out and the perform and they hit and they have a track record of success against some of the best competition, it is certainly encouraging and certainly certainly factors into what we do and what we look for. I mean, you look at a guy in the fourth round, Luke Hill from Ole, miss another guy just strong offensive performance, track record in the in the SEC, A lot of contact and again the ability to to move around the Diamond. I think we talk about Luke, he's a he's a baseball player, right, professional hitting approach, great back, thetball skills and those types of things. So those are things that that stand out. I mean, you over to to Vanderd University with Roley Nelson. He's another well rounded offensive profile, and his skills are kind of driven by having the elite ability to get on base in a big conference. So I think to your point, when you have those types of profiles that demonstrate the ability to get on base, make consistent contact, and make quality contact when they're making that contact, I think those are the things that we look for and those are the things that will vode well for these kids when they go out and start competing in professional baseball.
Speaker 2: An exciting time to be sure, for both the organization and the kids. Paul, thanks so much for coming by. I always appreciate it. Congratulations on another draft in the books, and we'll follow these players then see how quickly they may get to Cleveland.
Speaker 7: Oh, thank you, Rosie, you're the man. Thank you so much for having me and I always enjoy our time together.
Speaker 2: That is Senior vice President of Scouting, Paul Gillespie. Another draft in the books for the Guardians. Stay with us when we come back. We'll hear from Sandy Alamar some All Star Game memories after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio Network. Welcome back as Guardians Weekly from Progressive Field and downtown Cleveland. Jim Rosenhouse along with you this weekend. Sandy Alamar certainly is top of mind when you talk great moments in Major League Baseball's All Star Game. The All Star Game completed earlier this week in Atlanta. Stephen Kuan with a big base hit in the ninth inning and that tied the game, only to see the National League win it in the new tiebreaker format, a home run derby that went to the National League. But Sandy Alomar back in nineteen ninety seven, the game played right here at then Jacob's Field, and he hit the game winning home run, not in the ninth inning but earlier than that. But it was his home run that broke a one to one tie and propelled the American League to the win. And he says, every year the All Star Break brings back great memories of that big home run at Jacob's Field.
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely, because they keep replaying that memory that home or every time we get close to the All Star Game and people just talk about it. It was an incredible moment for the video of Cleveland.
Speaker 4: In my family and we.
Speaker 2: Were talking earlier. You're having a great season, but the All Star selections being what they are, you were not the starting catchers. So explain how you've found out that you'd be playing in the game number one, and then how the day went before you actually had a chance to make a great memory for Cleveland.
Speaker 4: You know, I was very grateful.
Speaker 8: It was very grifful that Joe Torrey picked me as a reserve catcher. I knew I was having a fantastic year going into the All Star Game. I had a thirty game hitting streak. But I also knew that Plaus Rodriguez, the most popular catcher in baseball, he was gonna get it vosed. We were in the same league, and you know, I knew that he was going to be a starting catcher. I just have to go out there do my job and hopefully continue my streak and continue playing good baseball, and hopefully I had a chance to be selected by the manager, which he happens.
Speaker 2: So obviously, close game and you're facing Sean Estes of the Giants, and at that point in time, you're you're not seeing many National League guys that often had you faced him before, had any type of red on him on on what to expect.
Speaker 4: None at all.
Speaker 8: I uh, I know he had a big, big breaking ball, and the whole point about you normally you you're only gonna get one a bad, was a reserve one or maybe even two a bad. But getting in that bad at the key moment is even more difficult.
Speaker 4: Everybody in the in the rotation is is good. I knew that.
Speaker 8: Uh, you know, you go through the pitchers in case you have to face this guy and that guy.
Speaker 4: The one guy I was going through the before is Petro Martinez. Then I go.
Speaker 8: I went through Estes a little bit, but I was trying to pick the most difficult guys that I felt like right handers.
Speaker 4: I said, let me prepare for this guy.
Speaker 8: I kept going down there to the cage and hit some swings from the thirtyting. I was like kind of like, oh, I gotta get ready early, which I didn't even know what it was gonna go in. But he just happened to be Sean. I knew he threw a big, big breaking ball and a changeup. I didn't think he has an overpowering fastball, but he had a nasty curveball.
Speaker 2: So you hit the home run, and obviously it's a big deal. It's in Cleveland place gost bananas. Uh, you get back to the dugout and what was it like for you? Saying teammate but also family in the dugout.
Speaker 4: He was amazing.
Speaker 8: He was amazing that the reaction of the players when I hit the home run, they were all like happy that I had the chance to be playing in my own ballpark and delivering like that. They were so excited that they were rooting for me to do something to have the team win.
Speaker 4: And he happened.
Speaker 8: And my son was in the stands and he was just like calling out homers and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 8: He told me this afterwards, but he was a little kid and he was like, my dad's going yard and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And I was down in the count. The essays threw me too, breaking both that band.
Speaker 8: I was so anxious that I had to set myself back and start breathing.
Speaker 4: It's like, come on, man, you like this is just another game.
Speaker 8: And I kind of like took the deep breass, sat back, and then he threw me. I thought it was a fastball, but he was a change up. But I saw it very well and I was able to connect in front of hit it out. But that was an incredible moment, watching the whole dog out coming out to celebrate with me.
Speaker 2: You win the MVP naturally. Fast forward to twenty nineteen games in Cleveland again and there's another MVP. Shane Bieber wins the Most Valuable Player. Could you kind of understand what he was going through even though it's a completely different position and what he did was different.
Speaker 8: Yes, myself and Gene Tomy, we were the Grand Marshal of that All Star game, so we were watching the game from the suite one of the sweets, and one of the things we were talking about, would he be amazing? He's one of our guys. Frankie, I think Frankie was in that game. Win the MVP at the ballpart again, that would have been like a day job, who Cleveland Mojo for an All Star game. He just happened to be Shane Bieber as the pitcher, which is a little bit more difficult for the picture to win the MVP because you have to do something remarkable.
Speaker 4: He struck out the side. That was very impressive.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a great time of year, All Star Game, and Sandy, you will always be a big part of Cleveland history and the All Star Game. Thanks for coming by, Sharon.
Speaker 4: Some memory, Well, I appreciate it. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: That is nineteen ninety seven All Star Game Most Valuable Player Sandy Alamar. Some great memories for him. Stay with us. We'll have our final segment after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 9: As a fan, you know all the important sports cliches. And when you save money by bundling your home and auto with Progressive, you can get out there and give it one hundred and ten percent, even though that's mathematically impossible. And remember failure is not an option. Well it's always an option, just not a good one. But you're not worried because you've got ice in your veins. You're on fire. How can both of those things be true at the same time. Well, that's between you and your doctor. So get out there and leave it all on the field. We've got Troo cares. Just leave it and save with the ruttle from Progressive Progressive Contualty Interum. We have tether enters, notaiple in tho stach situations.
Speaker 3: Now the three one swum pulling the whole base set in the right, that'll score Mark Tina's the White Sox pitched to Kwan and he knocks in a huge run with a two out RBI single to right. Kwan with the last two RBIs for Cleveland, giving him thirty one on the year. Yeah, outside of Jose Ramirez, nobody is more clutch for Cleveland than Stephen Quad.
Speaker 4: Are you ready enough? Get up and count it down? Sometimes sometime we should make it out.
Speaker 5: Whoa who to his family from the East to the west. Six somebody still with the sun sand Stock, You're right, we'll beat me long singing Ohio songs. Let him hear and let them feel and.
Speaker 4: Make him for the strong.
Speaker 5: Who We got to cover us numbers conan TuS in this town knockers down, people love beside.
Speaker 4: Who we are. We are Cream.
Speaker 2: We're back in Progressive Field, Downtown Cleveland. Guardians Weekly. Jim ros in house along with you this weekend and as we wrap up our show this week, let's check in with Guardians Senior Vice President Bobby Biassio for another edition At the Ballpark, the perfectly manicured field.
Speaker 1: It's the unmistakable aroma of a ballpark, hot talk and the electricity celebrating another victory. This is at the Ballpark with Bobby Dee.
Speaker 10: The ballpark is home to many stories, many memorable moments, and colorful personalities. Joining me on this segment of At the Ballpark is a man who wore a Cleveland uniform for more than twenty years as a player, coach and manager, mister Mike Hargrove. We are near the All Star Game, so I thought we would talk All Star Games with Grover, who appeared in one as a player and managed two American League All Star teams. Grover, any idea how many men have both played in an All Star Game and man an All Star team in the American League.
Speaker 11: No, I really don't. I never even wondered about that until you brought it up, and I was trying to think, and I can't think. I mean, I'm sure there's been others, but no, I hadn't really ever thought about that.
Speaker 10: Oddly, when I looked it up, there were sixteen, and I thought that was a pretty large number. Although then I thought, well, we're nine almost ninety years of All Star Games and only sixteen guys have had the opportunity to play and manage. That's a pretty cool thing.
Speaker 11: And so players make us look pretty good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, let's talk about you as a player. You followed up Rookie of the Year nineteen seventy four with the Texas Rangers. You hit three twenty or something.
Speaker 4: Like that, three twenty three. Yeah, to take a point, Yeah, you follow that up.
Speaker 10: Here with an All Star season where you hit over three hundred as well. When you walked into the clubhouse your very first time you played at Milwaukee County Stadium, just wondering how the excitement and was there a special player in that clubhouse that you had to go up or you were afraid to go up to it and say hello.
Speaker 7: To you know.
Speaker 11: I remember walking in the clubhouse and being just afraid to walk into that clubhouse with the guys that were established and I mean Hank Aaron was on that team.
Speaker 4: But I did walk in.
Speaker 11: There were fourteen million things we had to sign. Fact as it took about two days, about four hours a day signed all the balls and bats and helmets and stuff, and the one guy that had always been my idol. I'd always just it was amazing. It was Rod Crew and Rod kind of took me under his wing for those three days. He told me, when we were now taking batting brides around the cage, he said, Mike, he said, people can try to change you. He said, you're a big guy, you're a strong guy, but you're a line drive hitter and that's what's made you successful. There are going to be people that are going to want to change you, to make you more of a power hitter. He said, don't let them do that. And I succeeded let him do it. But I always remember that, Well.
Speaker 10: You brought him on as a coach in spring training with Kenny Lofton trying to teach Kenny how to slap the ball and move it around. I loved Rod carew Man. One of the things I love about him right now in today's game, he always has the comment that the players of today forget their two foul poles.
Speaker 11: Oh no, yeah, well, you know that's the game has changed. It's the decade of the era of the shift. You don't see many guys trying to defeat that thing. He just keep hitting into it.
Speaker 10: So I remember what you did. You pinch hit, pinch hit, and you faced Don Sutton on the mound. Do you remember what you did?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it is first pitch. First picture was right under my chin and my eyes were blinking so much. I never saw the pitch until by me and I think it was the next picture too. I hit a ball, fly ball to right field, to the track, hit it right off the end of the bat and just yeah, that was.
Speaker 10: My Yeah, if you look it up, it actually said deep center field because you moved the runner who was on second base over to third base. Greg Nattles, by the way, was the runner. So you had a productive out and you're.
Speaker 11: All start there. Was successful.
Speaker 10: As you said. Another guy who pinched it in that game was none other than Hank Aaron. So that had to be cool just being in the same clubhouse.
Speaker 4: With that, you know, Bobby, it was.
Speaker 11: It was just you know, my first experience around, you know, coming from Texas, up Texas fan and we've been going to a small school in Oklahoma and and just you know, being a twenty fifth round pick, being thrilled to death I just got drafted, and being a pick, and you know, these kind of things worked real well for me. But walking there's the first time in the atmosode. I had been around stars, me, a lot of stars, star singers, and you know, I remember sitting there. I was standing four foot away from Henry Kissinger. He was in the club, you know, he was in the stands, and Glenn Campbell was standing in the dugout he was doing. I was standing there looking out, just at the top step, looking at nobody else was out there with me, and looking at the things and just marveling at how wonderful it was exciting. And I looked down down and I saw the most beautiful pair of hand tooled boots I've ever seen in my life. And I'm a boot guy. And I looked up as Glenn Campbell and he goes, he says, how you doing, Mike. My heart stopped. First of all, he said alone. Second all you knew my name. But it was just that kind of a surreal experience. It just it was just here sharing. And Sharon was with me in Milwaukee. She flew in and two kids. There were hillbillies and got the robelbows with some neat people.
Speaker 10: Well that's the beauty of even today the All Star Game. Just you get wide eyed and your jaw drops when certain people come walking in that are both in the game and out of the game. It's what's so special about the All Star Game. And you have an opportunity to manage two All Star teams. And we're talking All Star Games with Mike Hargrove, who appeared in three All Star Games, one as a player and two as a manager. Your first one namee ninety six. It's in Philadelphia Veterans Stadium, Nationals win six.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 10: We have five representatives on that team, Albert Sandy, Kenny, Jose Mason, Charlie, Naggy. Tell us a little bit about that experience.
Speaker 11: Well, Omar sal should have been in that game. It was just he was amazing. You know a lot of our teams, everybody knows, could have very easily been on that team. You've got kind of spread it around. I don't remember much about that game because I think we were out of it early and we're going. But the next year in Denver, I think it was the next year in Denver, two year ninety eight, yeah, eight in Denver. You know, we took a lot of guys, Charlie and Naggy and Viscale made it Omar did.
Speaker 10: There were six We had six representatives at Corsfield, the Sandy Bartolo, Cologne, Kenny Manny, Jimmy Omar.
Speaker 4: I mean pretty good.
Speaker 10: I know when we were there with them and trying to get pictures of six guys in those All Star uniforms. Again for a PR guy, your head spinning on some something like that. It's just so much fun to be a part of. But you get to lead that team. Anybody mad at you they weren't in the lineup, or you hit him fifth when they were a three hitter their whole life.
Speaker 4: But you know you need to be careful.
Speaker 11: You were playing in the National League where you know the pitcher's hitting, and so you know I would by the guy like Ray Durham. I went to Ray Durham before the game. I said, Ray, you're an All Star. You deserve to be here, and you deserve to play. The bad thing is, as you can play a lot of positions and I've got to keep somebody back in case we go extra innings, and you're that guy. And he was great, but he said, Mike, don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: It's great. I'll do what I have to do. And and we'll do that.
Speaker 11: The funny thing about that is I chose Charlie Naggy to start the game, and a pitcher that I won't name. He's in the Hall of Fame now got really ticked off, was really upset and refused to pitch. I was glad that he at least suited up, But you refuse to pitch, he said, I I won't pitch. It was kind of a bummer, but you know, it kind of was who the guy was. That's kind of the way he was.
Speaker 10: He shall remain nameless. Well, Grover, thanks for sharing your memories of your All Star Game appearances. And you know it's a special time in a player and manager's life to be on that center stage.
Speaker 4: But it really really is.
Speaker 11: There's so many things going in My kids, you know, they went to a lot of those games, like the Gala and things like that. They have off the field and just built a lot of time memories. I'll tell you a story if we've got time. The first to fill when in Philadelphia with the Gala and all the kids and we're all dressed up and Shelley, my youngest, is really young, she's probably six or seven years old, and Kenny Loften danced with her almost every dance night, and she was inhabited, oh so much so that she she told him that she was going to invite him to her wedding, and and if she didn't, you know, she's getting married. She sent him, send him importation, Sharon, you know, sent a letter to Katy with you him today said look, don't don't send the president.
Speaker 4: They just Shelley just is doing that.
Speaker 11: And then she got se him here about a week ago.
Speaker 4: He was in town.
Speaker 11: And it's just good memories and that's what it's all about.
Speaker 10: Well, here's hoping you enjoyed today's visit with Mike Hargrove. We look forward to sharing more at the Ballpark stories on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 2: That's at the Ballpark with Bobby d And that's this week's edition of Guardian's Weekly. Thanks as always to Brian Motsee for all of his help on our show. We'll join you next week. We'll be in Cooper'stown, the team will be in Kansas City, and we'll have another edition of Guardians Weekly for you then. Until then, this is Jim rosen House reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 3: The bottom line, and this is why we talked about it. Enjoy the journey another summer of relevant baseball in Cleveland. Whatever happens in October, it's going to happen. Don't miss out on a great summer baseball.
Speaker 1: Guardian's Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive Helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance