Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen We're gonna bring podcast.
Speaker 2: If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn.
Speaker 1: With your host Corey Winfield, like.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm going into a place there the people like talking to balls, and there was some of that, but it was still pretty cow Host Harney Winfield.
Speaker 4: They don't get that. Sincere messaging, then they're not going to have that conversation on a level where maybe.
Speaker 5: You can get through to them.
Speaker 1: Special guest Corey Smoker.
Speaker 6: I don't want to hear the hero over here, but then I know what you're skipping down the street over there doing.
Speaker 2: You know, got your wab.
Speaker 3: It is the thirty first of October twenty twenty five Halloween.
Speaker 1: I'm Corey Woodfield.
Speaker 5: I'm Marnie Winfield, and I'm Cory Smoker.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the two seventeen Recovery Podcast. You guys dressed up today. It's nice, Martie. You wanted some smoking hot.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if you want to call this dressing out, but it is orange and black for halloweens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, being a hot mom, stay at stay at home mom. But you're not so I like that you dressed up like that. Today, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, not that I'm saying you're homely looking at all. I'm not trying it. And then I'm not saying stay at home moms are homely. I'm just saying you look like a hot mom. So it's up, Okay, what's up? It's my wife.
Speaker 5: What did you dress up as today?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: A director? Yeah, a video guy, write, a screenwriter, a film producer, well, not producers, I don't have the money to pay for them to be.
Speaker 2: Made, but.
Speaker 5: Filmmaker.
Speaker 2: What would I beat?
Speaker 5: Creator?
Speaker 2: Writer? I don't know.
Speaker 3: See, I have wrote a movie the other day and I finished it and I lost it, so I didn't finish it. So I had to go back to finish it because God was like, no, that's not how I wanted you to do it.
Speaker 2: Lose it off.
Speaker 3: And of course it's still in my brain because the movie that I'm writing, it started out to be a little five minute like, hey, let me write a little five minute movie, a little short film, because I want to make a movie and I don't know how to make one, and that would be a good start.
Speaker 2: So I did that.
Speaker 3: And if you've been following the podcast for a while, you've heard me talk about it. Maybe you're maybe it was all longer than a year ago, and now I started writing it, and it was a year ago. I started writing it, and then it just kind of sort of pieced together. And then lately God sent me on this mission to like finish it, and what turned into like finish the five minute, and I needed to add all these details to it, and it became like a story of all the crazy stuff that happened when I went to treatment, except this person's journey now isn't the exact same path that led me there, but it is all inspired by true events.
Speaker 5: I think it's good. It's really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I don't know, it's tough. You know that I've poured out, So I mean, I think it's kind of good.
Speaker 5: But do we get credits in the back of.
Speaker 2: Those movie for script editing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like moral support and you guys have probably like witnessed, like my all overness with the place of that script and where it was and how it just morphs and kind of changed, and it's gotten better, I think, in detail, and it really helps you feel the emotion as someone is trying to go to treatment and they're hitting all these barriers. Every single one trust me and.
Speaker 2: You feel it.
Speaker 3: At least I did when I was writing it, you know, and that was kind of hard. And when I lost the Act two and three, the pain was that I had to go back and get in those feelings again, because that was a mother effort, man. And I thought about writing a book one day and like, man, that'll be fun. I don't think so. I don't know, it's not. It wasn't a fun journey, you know, to like, because I don't live in the past anymore. I'm moving forward with stuff I want to do. So to like go back there and like what was that feeling like when you had nothing and this was all you had, you know, and like get yourself in that moment, like what were you thinking? And then to like write it out it was just horrible. Yeah, I know, you guys don't live in the past, like you're not stuck there, and there are some people that are, you know, And that probably was me at one point, but well.
Speaker 4: My thoughts were I was like, Okay, I'm thinking about it, and I'm like, well, actors and actresses have to do this all the time, right, and that even that is draining for them. But I think the other piece to it that took it to another level is that this that you were reflecting on what actually happened, like your actual history, your actual trauma, and so that you know that I can see would be that would weigh really heavy on you.
Speaker 3: It was and then I mean some of the stuff because what a lot of people don't realize in my journey at first, you know, I went to go go to treatment, So I went out to California and all that and it was fun, not really, but it had to be part of it, you know. And when I started going to the mental health places, that is what turn the light bulb bomb for me, because up until then I thought I was just a piece of shit and that I just something about me. I just some stupid I can't get it. And when they taught me about my brain and how all that stuff started working, and it really opened the door of like, oh wow, so maybe I'm not that bad and maybe maybe this is something I can figure out. And that shows it. You know, this isn't really a jury. I mean, it is a journey to treatment, you know, inpatient treatment. But that's what he thinks he wants, you know, but what he really needs is to get that solid foundation.
Speaker 2: Before he goes to treatment, which can be done.
Speaker 3: And some people are like, oh, but I don't have insurance, Now I have it, or maybe you've got insurance, but you don't have an extra five ten grand laying around. Well, the movie kind of follows that there are are options, you know, and there are some people out there that are telling you how hard they're working to go to treatment, all these barriers and all this and that.
Speaker 2: But are they really trying that hard? I don't know.
Speaker 3: And there are people that really try hard and they hit these barriers. We've seen this over and over, you know, as a recovery community organization here in Traver City, Michigan, we've seen it firsthand. We've seen people get denied services for reasons that shouldn't be and you know, we say what we can and do what we can about it, and then we have to move on, you know. But it happens every single day, and I kind of want to show that and I want the world to go.
Speaker 2: Does this really have this is fiction?
Speaker 3: And they go, no, this actually every single one of these things have happened, you know, or been witnessed by the guy who wrote it. At least part of it. The guy walking down the road, which the reason why I put him in there. And I don't know why God had to drive by him that day Milan nowhere like nowhere nowhere, Like you're not walking these roads, man, and this guy was. And you were like, hey, that's so and So I can't see because my glasses I just see guy walking. And I was like, oh, well, so and so actually called because he needed to ride to treatment, and they said they wouldn't fund it, and this and that, and they told him to call the Medicaid call you a Medicaid number, and he did and they were like, yeah, that's out of our region. And it's like, wait, are you're supposed to take everybody in the state, you know, wherever. So that didn't make sense, you know, And there's been other things that people have said, and so that's why I threw him in there. So I didn't I don't know if he was actually walking to treatment, but that's where I got the idea of that, and that's where I say, well, I know he needed to ride to treatment and he was walking somewhere.
Speaker 6: But them are the But it just shows too in that, I mean, just even in that first part just the scenarios of the barriers that a person faces. Maybe they're already starting the withdraws, or they're still you know, they're on their last cans and dimes and Nichols and pennies to get something, just to maintain some of that off to make these phone calls. And then when they get you know, every door is shut in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, yeah, you can come to treatment.
Speaker 6: So then they're like, finally, okay, I made a decision to go, I can get in. But then all them pieces there to get there is really defeating at times too. And you know, and that's always seems to be when our families are they're completely done with us. They're like, I'm not giving you one more ride the treatment because you know, I've heard it all and I've said it.
Speaker 5: They we've said it. You know.
Speaker 6: They don't want to hear that crap anymore. They want to see the action.
Speaker 3: And there's families out there like, oh, well, I got money, though, we can send him off to this and that's cool. But the fifteenth time he went, you're going to be done the lies, the stealing. Oh I got money, Oh, that means he's going to steal or she'll steal from you. They'll they'll take whatever they can because their addiction is is that's what's most important to them. And unfortunately the brain has been the chemistry has been changed, and that's that's what that's happening. It's not that they're bad people, it's just their brain is telling them you need it now, you need.
Speaker 2: To get it.
Speaker 3: So even for those people like be careful because maybe that fifteenth time, that time that was going to turn the corner where your loved one, your son, your daughter, whoever, has just about figured it out. And then this is the time that they can't get there because you're like, nope, done. But because there's nothing in place that really help people, they can fall through the class and then they die and then oh it's their fault. They didn't want to change their life. It's not about that at all.
Speaker 4: Well, right, And that's where the misconception lines comes in, is because there's this there's this thought that all it takes is willingness, is somebody to say I'll go and that's it, and that it's done and they're on their way. But that's not even all of it. It's not even half of it. There's so many more moving pieces and so many approvals and you know authorizations, and you know, are where are they, where are they going to?
Speaker 5: Where did they live before?
Speaker 4: There's a bunch of things that go into it that we don't even think about until you're actually at the spot where you're like, okay, I will give it a shot. And then here you are, and it makes it it's so so difficult.
Speaker 6: But then sometimes too, like you get to that spot right and it's like okay, well, okay, maybe you're finally ready to do something. You get so then you get to detox. Well then you're only there for five days, but it's really like four days when you count it all out and finding treatment and then it's like, okay, my job. You know, it's a it can be a lot of decisions at once and then you're like okay, fine, I'll go.
Speaker 5: And then if you don't get the referral or you know.
Speaker 3: It's just and they call it a medical detax right. Yeah, So for someone who's never been, you think, okay, cool, so they're going to be watched in a room, they're going to have medically people around there, They're going to be nice and comfortable. No, no, when I was at turning Point. That place was in no offense to turning Point. That place was a shihole and it could be a funding thing. I have no idea, but it was horrible. It was in the down in the very basement of this building. It was like the old Salvation Army or something. It's just a long hallway, dark, stank. And then the men's room was on the right hand side of this little long hallway and you went in and it was just bed bed bed bed bed bed bed and the bed they put me in was right by the toilet. The door didn't the bathroom door didn't have a door on it, so I heard. So I'm like, I'm not staying here. I'm gonna go just sit out there. This stupid TV that they had of this VCR and these same movies. It was horrible, And so why would I want to go to treatment after that, because if I've never been to treatment before, I'm gonna think that's what treatment is. And then actually I went up to their other level and I would I wouldn't recommend people go there. It's better than sleeping on the street and dying, So go there if that's your only place. But I'm saying, though, is how come if we're gonna go medically, do you talk? How come these places aren't nicer? How come we have to deal with this subpar help? Like why is it so half asked?
Speaker 6: Because I think it's because of the stigma around it, But see like we're just like it's like second best.
Speaker 2: And I was just so irritated.
Speaker 3: I was on my soatbox earlier when I was talking about the trauma is the real reason, you know trauma you need to what I was talking with Tony and our friends from BDAI and she was saying something about accept non acceptance. What did she say? It was kind of along the lines of you know, stuff in AA like acceptance.
Speaker 2: I don't remember now, but it was not among those lines. It just trust me.
Speaker 3: And when you can do that with trauma, when you can realize, Okay, this is the trauma and I'm not saying you have to run out and go fix it. That day I put my box in my head in a closet, like, Okay, I know I have these issues. And I thought it was abandonment at first, and maybe it was, you know, I didn't have a father growing up, sort of how I put it in my mind. So I had to put that up for a couple of years before I could even dig into that because I knew I wasn't ready. If I would have pulled that box down and started getting in them feelings, I I wasn't secure in my own sobriety yet, So I wanted to wait until I was ready to deal with it. And then I did, and then later I found out really it wasn't abandonment at all. I mean, maybe a little, but it was forgiveness, you know. I really had to forgive my father, you know, and realize that there is no Wellether. There is a book that you can buy, probably, but I'm not going to make you a better parent for the perfect parent in the world book. I don't have it. Marnie doesn't have it. We're not perfect. My parents weren't perfect. You know, why am I holding them to different standards? And I had to forgive my father, and then I had to forgive my mother and move forward. You know, what kind of relationship do I want to have with them? Moving forward? What happened to my childhood? Okay, it happened. I've acknowledged it. I talk about it, and I'm going to make sure that my son doesn't have that same kind of relationship, you know, not that my dad's a bad guy, but I just I don't have that relationship that I want my son to have with me. And I can change that, not stay sober. But it took a long time to figure all that out, you know, and it takes people time, you know, to heal. And so I think if we could look at it that way and give people a little grace, and then how come we're not blaming the biggest monster of all of them. You know, Alcohol gets away with so much. And I was talking with the BDA guys about that, and it's like, wait a minute, you're going after big Farmer, You're going after all the weed places in Michigan. Well about alcohol. They're the ones who calls all of it. Let's break it down and I'll do it real quick for you. Alcohol causes all of it. Meth Okay, I smoked meth. I smoked or I did heroin. I didn't smoke heroin, I snorted it. But I was drunk when I did acid. Was drunk when I did cocaine. I was drunk when I smoked weed. I was drunk. I smoked cigarettes, I was drunk, well except for the time when I was five and I walked to preschool. But it's the first cigarette had. It was horrible.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that at all. But what I'm saying like, how come they're not paying more for that?
Speaker 3: Everybody who steps up and says I need help, I need to go to treatment, and it's a substance related issue.
Speaker 2: Alcohol Hall should pay the tab. If you want to throw a big farm in there, cool.
Speaker 3: They they only do that because the state wants to just get money and spend it how they want.
Speaker 2: But if we really cared about people.
Speaker 3: And this is the problem with this country, and I'll say it right here, it was built on greed, in lying and deception, all right, Like even the whole Hey, the British are comment like, that's really not a.
Speaker 2: Cool story you think about it. That's that's some shady shit.
Speaker 3: Now if we did that today, oh we'd be gunned down, like nobody would even hear from us again. So think about how this country was founded and it's running exactly how it was supposed to. Now, if we can change things and actually care about people, the world would be a better place. And I'm not saying that you have to go and throw alcohol because we did the prohibition thing that shouldn't work. But they should pay some taxes to where whatever. If anybody needs some help, send the bill right to Budweiser, send the bill right to Jack Daniels. Send the bill to them, and they have to pay it, yeah, because they calls all of it. And then we can get into domestic violence, and we can get into all everything dumbst miss drunk driving, to where you can make alcohol so expensive that people will go away. So I can either keep drinking or I can just go change my life. And I think people would choose that. And if they are like, hey, it's okay, you can go get help now, maybe they wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But I had a friend die again and I'm just really pissed about it. And he wasn't that close close, but he was, you know, and it's losing anybody to it. And then thinking back as he lived in Grand Rapids, which has Network one eighty at least they did. When I had to go through there, it was horrible. So and then I'm thinking in my mind as I'm trying to help my friend who's dealing with the same thing.
Speaker 2: Can't get into treatment.
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking, I wonder if that was his problem, if he had to deal with Network on eighty and they were so effed up that he couldn't get in and he just really needed my guidance. And I don't know, I'll never know the answer to that question, so I should probably just let it go. But it just it really pisses me off, you know, and you just really start thinking about it, and who's the biggest one getting away with it?
Speaker 2: And if Trump's I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Trump supporters, I don't like anybody, so just throwing that out there, but the Trump supporters, if Trumps really wants to make America Richigan, Yale, Harvard, somebody just came out with this survey thing that they did and they pretty much said, alcohol takes.
Speaker 2: Twenty four years off someone's life.
Speaker 3: Twenty four years of not paying taxes, twenty four years not being productive, twenty four years of not like buying stuff at the store, not helping the economy, not volunteering in the community. That's twenty four years that they're losing money to gain nickels and pennies. That doesn't make any sense. He's gonna pay way more taxes on income and then his job's gonna pay the maxin tax.
Speaker 2: Like I'm telling you, it just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: America's getting robbed by alcohol, and I'm not saying to ban it. I'm just saying they should pay their due and there shouldn't be anybody in the state of Michigan that needs to go to treatment that gets told no, not.
Speaker 2: One person I agree with that, So I'm done. That's my soapbox. How are you guys doing?
Speaker 5: That's powerful?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just it makes me sick, man.
Speaker 3: I know that's why we I mean, I haven't done a podcast in a long time, and then last time we did, I think it was kind of just messing around, but like we got to have these conversations with people, and people really need to like just look at who's the real bad guy. It's like we're watching a movie and you think this is the bad guy all along and know these are no and then you realize at the end of it, you know who's guyser SoSE well, it's alcohol, you know, and our government's letting that happen, you know. I think it's election coming up right then. I don't know if we're voting around this county. But I know there's some elections coming up, you know, call around and say, hey, what do you think about this? And I'm like, wow, we're going to fix the roads.
Speaker 5: And is there voting like next week?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: But and then like with the whole food thing, Oh my god, and people in Michigan freaking out. And I look at it, like, look, the state of Michigan has tons of money. They have tons of it. Couldn't even swear right there. I was, so I met the two billion that she just gave to the roads.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're going to extra two billions.
Speaker 3: You think they help feed some people, yep, But they spend this shit like it's probably is going in their pockets somewhere. You know, if I had a construction company that was building roads, I would do it too. It's good two extra two billion that you just took out of the air, probably from gambling money.
Speaker 2: I don't know, why help those people?
Speaker 6: We need roads well, And sometimes I think it's like that catch twenty two.
Speaker 5: It's like, why do I want?
Speaker 6: Okay, I put the warning label right on there, or the little message little clip after if you have a problem gambling, blah blah blah, but I think it's like this.
Speaker 5: Catch twenty two trap.
Speaker 6: They want you to keep in it because then it keeps us that production chain going in a circle.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's what BDI said too. They were like, Oh, isn't that the thing that's done on purpose?
Speaker 5: I know, it's just like I don't want to get into conspiracy, right, but.
Speaker 3: They're losing too much money, and if they really cared about money, they'd be like mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know alcohol was invented in China. I think it was a poison just going out of limb there. I think they used to kill the white man, isn't it isn't Asian? Don't Asian people? And I'm again, this is just nonsense, but I think I'm right. They have a different their body racks different to alcohol.
Speaker 4: I don't know about the biology, but I know that the statistics are many. Like a white man, there's not as many in that that ethnicity or that culture doesn't consume alcohol like ours, because.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think that. I think that it doesn't get them drunk. I think it makes them sick or something.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do some homework on that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's poison.
Speaker 3: He knows what it is, but I wonder if they were like, hey, let's poison those people over there put some of that in there. I don't know, but in there we are just drinking it. Oh, drink responsiblely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was on a call the other day with the National Council of Problem Gambling because we applied for a grant we didn't get it, and I was like, I want to know why. I want to hear what you have to say. And she was telling me about this and that and yeah, you know, if we don't do prevention, it's outreacher.
Speaker 2: It was one of those two.
Speaker 3: And she said that basically because we had meetings here, that it was too much recovery going on and didn't really fit it. But if we didn't have meetings, if I didn't put that on there, that we probably would have gotten that. Yeah, I know, we don't want to hope too much. But anyway, she started doing on the whole problem gambling thing. Sorry, Corry cut off, and I kind of lost it on it and I said stop it. I was like, I know that the people that give you this money tell you that you have to say this in order for you to get the money. But stop blaming the people. I was like, alcohol did this, and now gambling is trying to do the same thing or have been doing the same thing. Stop blaming the person problem gambling, Oh, gamble responsibly, stop it. Stop do you do you bring over some beard to somebody you know has a problem. You're like, hey, man, just dring responsibly. See you later. Yeah, it work tomorrow.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: And then I was talking with someone else and we were doing Harmer Duck and I was like, dude, hum, reduction is so broad, Like you can't say I don't believe in home reduction because it's so broad. You can believe in different things or not different things. But the needles got oh passing out needles, And I was like, well, if you think about it, it would almost be like me bringing in some some cans, some like empties for you.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 3: Here's some some empty cans, some empty beer cans for you. Here you go, and then they go to the store, return them, and then by their beer. We wouldn't do that, would we would we give empty empties to alcoholics and go here you go, buddy, I know you're having a hard time today, Go get yourself a forty.
Speaker 2: Don't die. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't make sense, and people just fall for okay because they're the ones handing out the money. You have to say this, you have to do this, you have to say this, and they do.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: And I think it's because then they're on this spandwagon of that they it it works, or they support the mission, or they're one eight hundred number. But at the same time, I think the gambling people, I think they need I mean because it's a co occurring disorder and there's also more underlining things, and if they are feeling alone, why don't they get that space to also have their own place to meet in person with other people that are struggling like they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mmm, we'll fix it tomorrow.
Speaker 5: It's the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm not fixing on nothing.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: I just keep advocating, Oh, someone's calling, let me check the message.
Speaker 5: Sam.
Speaker 3: Now you think having a phone on your hand your wrist will make it quicker to check, But it's not always the case.
Speaker 2: No, And then I forget obviously.
Speaker 6: That's good, and then don't answer it. If you're in some place you got to warn people, Hey, you're on my watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, Like I have to.
Speaker 2: Tell me that Kim did that. Once I started yelling profanities and she had them.
Speaker 5: I have to tell herne right away because otherwise.
Speaker 4: He doesn't answer right away. For you, like, you have to prompt it to answer right We.
Speaker 6: Don't have to tell to answer, but as soon as I do, I like, I'm like, you're on speaking Yeah, hey, you're on my watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess Kim wasn't on her watch, but still it's like, I'm at the style when I got you on speaker.
Speaker 6: Well, it was funny as one day someone did call on my watch and me and Jess we were walking down the street and you know, you you kind of got to hold it up to hear it mm hm, And so I had Jesse had his arm around me and we're walking, and then I had my arm up like this so we both could hear it as we're walking, and some lady at Family Fair just walking and then when we got to the end of the sidewalk, she pulled up and she asked if I was okay, because the way it looked like we were walking was like he was kind of like dragging me along in a headlock.
Speaker 5: That's funny. Good looking out lady. Yeah that I told her. I'm like, thanks, we're just talking. That's funny talking on the watch, you know.
Speaker 3: You know Parker when he had butts martening all the time, she stopped bruising my wife. Yeah, Parker's our son if you're just lisn't And he's almost one and a half, and yeah, he'll throw that head around and caught my dad.
Speaker 5: Dad left bruise and he gave Grandpa a black eye. But wasn't that with something not his head, like an object?
Speaker 2: Yeah, toys whopped him up.
Speaker 4: This is just straight up him, just like hurling his body into space and no thought of what's behind him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like my head mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But it's out of love. It comes from a.
Speaker 4: Place just waiting until he like hits you square in the nose and like, oh man, he's done it. I mean, he has done it. But it's not the point where it's like God caused me, like bloody nose or anything. But it's potential it could happen. Yeah, he's get so big.
Speaker 5: He is, and he's so cute and he's so smart. He's the light in my life. Well you are too, honey, but you know, yeah, honey.
Speaker 3: But everything else that Parker is getting bigger. We got that project. We have a project called Restored Voices. You can check out the website Restored Voices dot com with BDAI and we're.
Speaker 5: Playing before, during, and after car stration.
Speaker 3: Good program here in Traverse City, Grand Trevis County.
Speaker 2: Fun people. Man, it's like it's good meaning with them.
Speaker 5: They are They're great, very real.
Speaker 2: I was afraid because I was like, I really want to make this like a big deal.
Speaker 3: And I was like, man, I hope they don't like shoot down my like let's make this thing awesome and great plan.
Speaker 2: And they didn't, and I was I like that, yeah they were. They were like, yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 5: So I was, yeah, I was pretty excited it's happening.
Speaker 6: I think it's going to be good. It it'll be interesting, and it'll be nice for people to be able to like kind of tell their stories that are from around here, for people to relate to, because sometimes, you know, we we can get on and watch these videos, but they're so far away, so it's like almost like they're removed from us, right, But when we see that these people are in our community, or we're going to meetings with them, or we see that you know, see them in passing, or that they're friends of a friend that it just there's something about it that just hits a little bit closer to home of like, oh, okay, this is you know they did it here. I can too.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it will be I mean, it'll be a brown northern Michigan area. I think who knows, it probably will expand at some point, but yeah, we'll start here first.
Speaker 2: You know, why not. And we have a cool location.
Speaker 3: I'm going to check on to see if we can film there, and if we can, we'll do it there. But it'll be more of a documentary, not like a I'm Marnie, how.
Speaker 2: You doing today?
Speaker 3: Used to do some drugs and now you're better, you know, So it'll it'll look cool.
Speaker 2: And I think people will be surprised and like, damn, that's that's really good. You did that. Not yeah, let's see my script.
Speaker 4: I really like it, and I think I think too. It's I mean, it just shows that there are these like kind of subtopics right of addiction and recovery that we that need to be addressed. So I mean this in particular is restored voices, which is individuals who have been incarcerated and more often than not, substance use disorder might be why they were incarcerated, but it's because of other mental health. It's accompanied with a co occurring and so and these are these are people that are sick.
Speaker 2: Right, and sometimes they have nothing and nobody.
Speaker 4: And the challenges and the barriers that they after, you know, being released is sometimes like just unsurmountable, right they can't overcome and figure their way through it and navigate how to start over, or it seems impossible. So you know, they really focus on on addressing that topic. And we think that this this podcast is going to be going to kind of really highlight that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be great, it will be good, but we said to wait, man, it's the hardest thing is patience.
Speaker 3: But no, we do have some plans coming and I think we'll shoot it in December, which would be perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I do want to say again to like thanks to all the supporters and everyone that came to recut Free Stories Message of a Whole Part seven last week on Thursday. And I think the turnout was really good. The speakers were good, and we ran very smoothly and we just like did like a skip on a track because I stuttered, like stuttered into that.
Speaker 5: Great, that's going to be on something.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 4: No, I think thanks for bringing that up, because yeah, it's I think. I mean, as we continue to have these this was our seventh event or Messages of Hope, and we continue to continue to get a great turnout.
Speaker 3: And it has nothing to do with us, it really doesn't. It's the recovery community here in Traverse City that wanted to support each other. That's what it is. Yeah, you know, it's people from across the area. You know, we had a couple of people from out of town that came, or at least one of them for sure, you know, And there were people that came to support her, you know, and that was very very cool. And that's that's what it is. And you know some people around town Rode I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear about it.
Speaker 3: And then that's that's okay, you know, like maybe next time, you know, it's it's not something that we're trying to put on the news or TV to be like, hey, we're trying to pack eighteen thousand people in here.
Speaker 2: It's a free event.
Speaker 3: It's fun, there's a nice meal and you get to do fellowship with people in the recovery community, and that's what it's about, you know. So like I think it goes pretty well. And I want to make sure those people that are speaking invite their people.
Speaker 5: Sure do too.
Speaker 6: And I think the gift baskets, like how we put them together, I think them are like a hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so, I mean Corey and I put a lot of Corey Smoker and I put a lot of work into reaching out to the local businesses and it's really great getting the responses from these you know, local businesses when some of them they want to have really long conversations about how great it is that we do what we do and that they appreciate.
Speaker 5: It feels really good that we have that support.
Speaker 6: And also I did when I dropped off a client yesterday, one of the navigators was out there and I just said, thanks again for coming and you know, bringing the gentlemen down there, and I hope they had a good time. And he said the next day that's all they talked about was just how much fun they had, they were so glad they went and how they felt included. Like, I think that's really awesome to just get that feedback and that they don't you know, not just there and like another thing, like they felt part of and involved and seeing other people like Adam get up there and speak and seeing you know, some of us that they do know part of this and putting it together volunteering or helping.
Speaker 4: Out, right, Yeah, because I mean a lot of those some of those people are there, both men and women from the residential programs that might be their first time in treatment or and this might be their first time at a recovery event. And so they're looking around the room and they know they came because they had to, right, I mean air quotes had to. I mean, it turns out what an awesome opportunity. But at the end of the day, they're looking around the room and there's all these other people that want to and choose to be in that room and are loving every minute of it.
Speaker 5: And that's amazing, it really is.
Speaker 6: And some of them it might be their first time like just even going out to some kind of event sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, connecting for sure, and the.
Speaker 3: Grand Tribes events and it was a great place and you guys make it look awesome too. And but yeah, when we first walked in there, the very first one, I was like, what are we going to do here?
Speaker 2: And I walked in. I was like, Wow, this is really nice.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, and I think that kind of throws people off too, because they're used to going, Oh, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna go to this meeting, it's gonna be in a basement. It's really crappy. No, it's really nice.
Speaker 6: See aren't you. Aren't you glad you met this Corey?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep, yeah glad.
Speaker 2: My wife was talking to you because I was probably like.
Speaker 4: Exactly, you're a peach and then she you walked away and I was like, we need to hire her. I swear I said that that day, and we.
Speaker 5: Were getting together over at the comedy club.
Speaker 2: Then we went over there to check it out and you were cleaning m.
Speaker 5: But now, very i'm your employee.
Speaker 3: Nineteenth of twenty twenty six, in February. I know, I did that all weird.
Speaker 5: So February nineteenth next year.
Speaker 2: That'll be the next one.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's a.
Speaker 6: Thursday, So mark your calendars if you're listening today.
Speaker 3: Two days after two seventeen. There you go one day maybe in two years, so we'll have it on two seventeen. It either goes one way or the other way. Right, yeah, I don't know, it's too much.
Speaker 5: Hope we don't get that weep day in there.
Speaker 3: All right, We won't, not in two years unless it's longer. But anyway, that was our little fun Friday podcast I got on soapbox.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. I don't know you guys have anything else.
Speaker 6: Just to remind everybody, we don't have any in person meetings here this weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, we're just pausing on that for a minute.
Speaker 2: And you can get.
Speaker 3: Into all your stuff at a later time because Marty's not exciting us too.
Speaker 5: But for right now you have to wait.
Speaker 2: Have a good weekend.
Speaker 5: Keep tuning in for the next one.
Speaker 3: Yes, yep, take care two seventeen recovery dot com. And of course, if you want to listen to the previous episodes, the easiest way to do that is with the two seventeen Recovery app that you can get from your play store or app store.
Speaker 5: Joy your weekend, have a good one.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast. Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com,