Speaker 1: I learned something about myself yesterday that maybe will make.
Speaker 2: Me a better person.
Speaker 1: You text with people, right, sure, yeah, of course everybody does.
Speaker 2: Are you an emoji user?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Not not crazy, but yeah I like a good emoji.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, good for you, good for you. I'm the one that's bad. I'm the I'm the bad one. I've never used I never, never, never was one single emoji in my life. I've never done it, and they just put it.
Speaker 4: We could, but I don't know now, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: But I got to change my ways. I have to change my ways.
Speaker 1: And you know what, So there was there was this big study that came out yesterday about the use of emojis and like obviously specifically in text and stuff like that, right, and they were saying that it is so beneficial and it should be done, and it makes you, it makes the person that you're texting with feel like your bond or your closeness is that much stronger.
Speaker 2: I agree, Well, why do you agree?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: I think it just like you know, a text can come across any kind of different way, and I think an emoji like clarifies maybe or makes light of something.
Speaker 1: There you are, no, you're you're very smart. You're very smart, but you know you know where it makes sense. And normally I would see something like that and be like, that's big emoji. That's trying to get it. But all you hear about is like, whether it's email or text, you can't get tone across. Now you can get tone across. What don't say now for me? It would be now for you.
Speaker 3: I still from It wasn't too long ago when you told us that and none of us believed you. I think about that a lot.
Speaker 2: Never used an emoji.
Speaker 3: Almost every time I use one, I think of you because it's so crazy to me. Now, will you use a tap back reaction?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: So not even it's not technically using like the emoji keyboard, but you're not even like a hard ex with no something no, no, no oh no. But in conversation with you, say you're talking to your wife, Okay, will she use emoji? U?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 3: Does it look very one sided with the colorful pictures if you just scroll?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Is she annoyed by your non use?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: She's never said anything.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think anybody should be annoyed by my non use.
Speaker 3: When you admitted it, it didn't seem possible, and then scrolling through a couple decades of Oh I didn't see one.
Speaker 1: If you go through, if you go through like just the show's group group text, Yeah, everybody.
Speaker 2: Uses them but me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I mean that is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never used one.
Speaker 7: It's insane, but it is s is real.
Speaker 2: But I because I feel like I get my point across.
Speaker 1: I don't need the thumbs up nothing.
Speaker 3: Does it lie in the idea that you're a great communicator?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I mean, well, let me think on that.
Speaker 3: No, I miss I sorry, I misspoke. Is it part of the great communicator? Lie?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I have texted things that don't where the tone is misunderstood and.
Speaker 5: You have to like come back and text something again to reclarify.
Speaker 1: If somebody says anything like I don't I knew how I intended it, so I wouldn't go in and clarify.
Speaker 7: Will you do like in parenthesy or no?
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not making pictures.
Speaker 3: I still do that. I'm not saying so that it automatically converts it to a smiley face. I will hit delete so it keeps it with the emoticon because sometimes I think that the emoji doesn't need an emoji something. Yes, yes, absolutely, And I use a lot of smiley faces in my handwritten thank you notes.
Speaker 7: I do. I do too.
Speaker 2: What do you mean where you like make a smiley face?
Speaker 7: No, what's that mean? Jessie would know she reads our notes.
Speaker 2: But that's handwritten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So if I'm writing something that's a little more personal, even though it's being conducted over email.
Speaker 2: But if you're writing a thank you note, I know the tone thank.
Speaker 3: You, Yeah, but I've maybe I've given you a quick funny remark, and I want you to recognize that you should be smiling.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I learned it doesn't matter if it's a face.
Speaker 2: Or a heart or fist bump.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter praise hands, thank you, Mike kaplin, doesn't matter what it is. But it builds a It builds a closeness, a tighter bond. They also they also say that it shows more of a paying attention. Explain that part that you are investing in your response.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah versus no no, no no no. Like for example, like.
Speaker 1: A lot of times I'll write and again I wasn't in the military. But a lot of times I'll just write Roger like, hey, you need to do a B and C Roger. They'll say it shows and I don't normally speak like that, But I also don't do the thumbs up so normally, and oh, I'm not going to do a solute emoji face, but it shows that you have taken time to respond with the right emoji. Also, now I feel like, well now I feel really self conscious. Yeah, yeah, because now number one, I don't know what my first emoji would be.
Speaker 2: Egg plant.
Speaker 1: But I also don't know what all of them are. I don't know what all my options are, so I don't know if there's one that I.
Speaker 7: Could pick that would be better hundreds of them.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: That's my problem when you are typing and it does it offers one.
Speaker 2: I hate that. I hate that. I hate that.
Speaker 3: This is like when I just want to do a colon and a parenthese and have to go back and just keep it as that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hate that. I hate that.
Speaker 3: I know it can show you your most commonly used emoji. Will it show you do any of the men you show you your most commonly suggested emoji?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think see your top five, Like, what words are you writing the most? That probably then would be your first use? Roger half the face the does it give you that if you type in Roger?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Roger doesn't suggest anything because they probably think it's a name, because AI isn't as smart as people.
Speaker 7: Kristin, I know what the EMOCHI is.
Speaker 2: She just sent it, Kristen. Kristen emojis all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, more than.
Speaker 5: You, Okay, I mean I definitely have the ones that I use all the time.
Speaker 7: Which one do you use most often? The eye roll? I use that a lot?
Speaker 2: The oh yep, Kristen's nodding.
Speaker 5: Yes, these are the last two that I sent to Christien iroll iroll.
Speaker 2: Will you heart someone's message or will you send a heart?
Speaker 7: I usually part the message.
Speaker 2: I don't know when I'm supposed to do that.
Speaker 3: Henry Jones just sent over an irol emoji with the note I've used them since their inception to convey emotion, which you can't do with straight texts.
Speaker 2: That's true. Can I ask a question? Who sent that?
Speaker 7: Henry Jones?
Speaker 2: Is Henry White?
Speaker 7: What if this is him in the profile picture?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yes, Okay, why would you ask that?
Speaker 2: Curious?
Speaker 7: Oh, no, it's this one.
Speaker 1: Oh that's curious thinker emoji?
Speaker 2: Yees see, I don't know which one I'm supposed to use.
Speaker 7: Oh, are you thinking that he should have done a white face?
Speaker 2: Iroll.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest, like when people take the time to change the the yellow to a different color of a face.
Speaker 2: Oh like the black fist bump?
Speaker 7: That means something else, Elliot?
Speaker 2: Oh, never mind, right, I don't know. I've never used one. I've never used one.
Speaker 3: So at this time I'm just going to pretend like I didn't start a comment, because Ellie's interjection is going to make my second half seem well racist. So never mind? Is there a good one for never mind?
Speaker 2: Oh? Borat is you emoji?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 7: I'm typing in never mind to see what comes up.
Speaker 5: But if you type in never it's the girl that does this, like the x's in front of her or the thumbs down.
Speaker 7: Oh, oh, Kristin is showing.
Speaker 3: So I was wondering if what Elliott was answering was if you're typing the message within the sentence, if one pops up for Roger, not if you search the word oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, they got an emoji for donuts.
Speaker 7: They sure do.
Speaker 3: And Kristen points out that for Roger, if you search it you get thumbs up, salute or pirate flag Joly Roger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay. I was like, I don't get that.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Now, Diane, you.
Speaker 3: Do a lot of speak or speech to text. Yes, do you tell it to use emojis? Now?
Speaker 5: I go back and put that in because sometimes if I'll say, like if I'm in the car, it doesn't do it right. It'll it'll actually type out the words rolling eyes emoji.
Speaker 7: I'm like, that.
Speaker 2: Doesn't do that.
Speaker 7: How much are you using that?
Speaker 2: Diane uses it all the time and the.
Speaker 5: Car talk to text. No, the rolling eyes constantly. It is my number one besides crying, laughing, Who are you rolling your eyes at a lot of people?
Speaker 2: No, but Dian, Diana does that.
Speaker 1: Diana's sit in here during a commercial break like we're not in here, and she'll I don't know what she said, like, Scott, I'm wearing Scott, I'm wearing a phone. It's not I can't wait to see you question mark.
Speaker 7: No, but I do, I'm not asking.
Speaker 6: Eyes totally doesn't fit hands, egg plant peach, Yeah, she's waiting at the airport for a flight, talking out loud to her phone.
Speaker 7: She doesn't hear all the time without asking us. If we're calling God, I have to ask sexual nature.
Speaker 1: Scott shruggy, shruggy, rolling eyes, emoji, eggplant, eggplant tongue.
Speaker 2: What do we want for dinner? Question mark by Elif poo.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is nice, Gabe, thanks me. Maybe your first one, Elliott should be Hearthands.
Speaker 2: Oh wait did they put it? Did they put an emoji in there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Heard hand? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What can can you? Can I see Gabe's profile pictures? Gabe white? Yep?
Speaker 7: What is what is the racial connection?
Speaker 2: I'm asking? Has anybody else said us an emoji? A lot?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, Chris said a lot. What is going on there? What is that?
Speaker 7: That isn't that Eagles?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, but I can't tell what Chris is.
Speaker 7: Chris is white?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that tracks.
Speaker 3: This is going to get really uncomfortable if you don't say why you're saying this.
Speaker 1: So this whole study they did, ninety three percent of all the people that that in the study that they did, ninety three percent of the white people texted to do And again, I've never texted, not texted, excuse me, you used it a emoji, but everybody uses emojis, I thought, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just point They just pointed out in here.
Speaker 1: The massive amount of the people that were that took part in and it was thousands of people were white. Oh in their sample? Yes, oh yes, and they didn't but people, it doesn't matter. Everybody except for me, everybody doesn't.
Speaker 3: I understand you want your reader to be aware of how you gather this data and who you gathered it from. But they didn't explore.
Speaker 7: That at all.
Speaker 1: No, oh no, but they went so far out of their way to go ninety three percent of respondents were white.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I would assume no matter what black, hispanic doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Everybody's doing it.
Speaker 3: I thought so as well. It was just you who for me I think about every time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I but do you feel like our relationship is lacking because I.
Speaker 7: Don't use them?
Speaker 1: No, that's just wouldn't shock you at this point if you sent me a note and I just thumbed, thumbed, upped it.
Speaker 3: It's so commonplace. Like I said, when you told us that, I didn't believe you. I thought you were exaggerated.
Speaker 1: I feel so much pressure, for which my first one would be. This is like trying to figure out where I'm gonna wear the saget sweatshirt.
Speaker 3: And make sure it's one that all people can see. You don't have to have like an updated operating system.
Speaker 1: Oh that would be great.
Speaker 7: I don't know. It looks like it looks like a simple rectangle on my phone.
Speaker 2: Scott Carrion, do you know what he sent? Question mark.
Speaker 1: Eye roll, shruggy, eggplant, eggplant, peach sprinkler, Tom Roger send, is there an?
Speaker 7: He's just talking about the.
Speaker 3: Sweat droplets. Let me call him what you want. But that's how you would get it to come up on your phone.
Speaker 6: Oh sorry, recall text, cancel.
Speaker 2: Sweat droplets. I gotta remember that.
Speaker 7: Kristen, we know what they are.
Speaker 5: She's she's the younger person making sure the olds know what's happening.
Speaker 7: Did you speak that into your phone?
Speaker 2: Oh, Diane did?
Speaker 3: It is funny because you take your head ins off because you think she's talking to you, and then you look over you like, oh no, she's talking her dumb phone.
Speaker 5: It takes too long to type, Oh my god, it does.
Speaker 7: It is infinitely faster to speak. It than to type.
Speaker 3: You just said that you have to go back in and insurty mode because I.
Speaker 5: Have to do it without emoji conversations. If I want emojis, then I have to go back in and do it.
Speaker 1: It's tedious, right, but that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Do you go back in and put like flags in and stuff like that?
Speaker 7: No, hot dog? What was Kristen's flag? Hot dog?
Speaker 2: Apple pie? Alligator?
Speaker 1: Chaine?
Speaker 3: So are you saying that a lot of your conversations that we overhear are not you and Scott.
Speaker 7: But it's like doctors' offices. No, I'm not texting my doctor's office. I'm not him. Hey dog confirmed to confirm?
Speaker 5: Oh, usually you just have to hit one one egg number one.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's Scott's got a problem.
Speaker 2: Peach, peach, hot dog, egg plant one, fireworks s
Speaker 7: Corn on the cob,