Speaker 1: If you're given worth the first year of your life, it's you're given a bottle. That's a life need, but the way you're given that bottle is a self worth need, and it's invisible because parents can get perturbed, parents can be exhausted, and the baby can get up in the middle of the night three times, right, And does it want to be fed? Does it want to be rocks? Does it want to be changed? You know you have to figure it out, and so you get so tired and so then you can give that next bottle in a very apathetic or angry way, like oh, fight and be hungry. That's received on an emotional level.
Speaker 2: Are you in the first thirty days of sobriety are wondering if now is your time to start? Hi? I'm Marcy Hopkins and I wrote wake Up You're not Broken, just for you. It's a real raw guide to those first thirty days. What no one tells you, what you will feel, and how to keep going. This isn't about perfection, It's about progress. Or do your copy now on Amazon. Remember you're not alone, You're not broken, You're waking up. What if the reason you struggle to set boundaries isn't because you don't know how. What if the reason you keep performing, people, pleasing and chasing validation has nothing to do with confidence at all. What if underneath all of it is one hidden belief that your worth has to be earned. Welcome back to Wake Up with Marcy. I am so grateful you are here, whether you're watching or listening. If you're new here, thank you for being here. I'm Marcy Hopkins, your host. I'm an author, TV host, motivational speaker, mental health advocate, and a woman in long term recovery. And this show is all about honest conversations around mental health, recovery, women's health, self discovery, and what it really takes to rebuild your life. And if today's conversation resonates with you, please make sure to like, comment, share this episode with someone who needs to hear it, because these conversations help people realize that they're not alone. So today we're going to talk about something that impacts every area of our lives, whether we realize it or not, and that is self worth. Many people spend their entire lives trying to prove they're enough, without realizing their worth was never something they had to earn. In the first place. My guest today is Donna Danielle. Donna is a professional counselor, educator and author who specializes in helping people understand the connection between self worth and emotional healing. Through her work, she's discovered that many people struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship challenges, and self doubt aren't broken at all. They're living with a pattern of denied self worth, and her new book, Understanding Self Worth explores how reclaiming our worth can transform the way we see ourselves and the way we live our lives. Now, let's meet Donna. Hello Donna, and welcome to Wake Up with Marcy.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I love this topic around self worth. Just so you know, I found self worth probably about eight years ago. I'm fifty six years old, so you know, this is something that's really important because so many of us from our past and how we were raised and such is how we feel about ourselves, and it really affects that.
Speaker 1: I agree. Thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so, Donna. You yourself, You've I mean, you've built your entire career around helping people in this area understanding self worth. So why do you believe so many people are struggling to feel worthy.
Speaker 1: I do have a philosophy on that because I've looked back in some of the historical statements, you know, researchers have gone back and tried to find evidence of like why we think the way we do now. Some of the earliest writings I found were Saint Augustine of Hippo. He was a religious leader, and a lot of his early writings and philosophy about the religion at the time is still being used today and along with his beliefs. And then some of the things that came out of the Socratic philosophy is that you work for worth, that you prove your worth. I'm not saying that's wrong, but I what I've learned is that when we work for worth, we don't actually feel worthy. We feel like we're attaining something that can be taken away because we've worked for it. And that's why in the book, I have a co author, doctor Chris Brown, and when we were talking about this foundational type of human worth, we decided to call it birthright self worth. And I loved that because it meant everybody gets it just because you exist, and that's what's missing. This other type that we talk about in the book, it's not worked for its realized self worth. And the goal of the building the pillars of self worth is that if they're built on a foundation of self worth, that's a birthright for every human. You can have awareness of awareness of that worth. Respect for that worth is a second pillar. Esteem that builds from that worth, and then confidence in that worth. You get a capstone called realize self worth. It's just about you and that's true self worth birthright. Self worth is the starting point. Realize self worth is what we attain sometime in adulthood. It is an achievement, but it's not for anybody else. So it's not about an acceptance in a system.
Speaker 2: Well, while I appreciate all of that and I totally get it because that is exactly what I did, what is the root of it? I mean, we have right, we are born happy humans. Right, I mean we are born worthy. It is our environment social impact, Like these are the things the people that are raising us and the circumstances in our life that are affecting how we feel about ourselves and the transactional feeling that we get that we have to work for our worth. So what is the basis of that, is it more people that have trauma? Like what, what is it really truly affecting our worth? And if that is true, how are we getting it back?
Speaker 1: Oh? Great question. So I mean this gets into some big thematic things. One of the things I've seen is I've done some reading, and this is over the last thirty years, is the belief that some people early on in civilization traded worth for power, because if everybody feels worthy, they're harder to control. And so people that got into power started making worth about things, and they started placing value in things, and so the king with the bigger kingdom was treated as more worthy than the person that they just took a kingdom from. And of course that seemed practical in the sense that, well, but that person's kingdom is gone and so they don't have anything to rule anymore. So it was easy to start looking at the most powerful person as having a higher value, and then we lost this concept of worth in all of those battles, and those battles happen in homes as well. We see a sibling try to dethrone another sibling. We see, you know, an aunt or uncle try to become the favorite of the children, of nieces and nephews. We see a lot of usurping of personal power even in family systems today, and it tells me that we're still in a system that power is running the show. And I would add to Dex we talk about this in the book, that you can trade worth for importance in any decision you make, and that's a really dangerous outcome because once you get importance, you're going to want more and you'll always need more. Power is not a good counterfeit, and importance is not a good counterfeit. For worse, they work to a certain degree and there is more to get. But what we see probably your whole life, I've seen it my whole life, is people that get hungry for power and love the importance that comes with it. They don't care who they trample. At some point, they get obsessed with possessing more.
Speaker 2: And that can be at any level, right, I mean truly, yeah, because power is different for everyone. I know that for me, I had the things that happened to me in my past, and then I kind of started working in this survival mode and then with that it was like, Okay, I'm not going to be my mother, I'm going to show them, you know whatever. With each thing that I accomplished, I was trying to feel something from that, like you're talking about, I was trying to fill my cup. But the thing is that thing would happen and then I wouldn't even appreciate that win. It would just be on to the next thing. So it's kind of like that hamster wheel we talk about. We're just constantly seeking the next thing for feeling that worth, when in fact we never really feel fulfilled.
Speaker 1: Well, you never feel worthy. You're seeking worth in the wrong ways. And so wherever there are systems, and I mean family systems first, but then also community systems, where there are conditions, there are always counterfeits. Conditions serve counterfeits. A counterfeit can sound positive, like all of our kids are going to go to Ivy League colleges. That can sound positive, It can sound like parents who really care about their kid's success. Right, But when it becomes a condition, right, and the hidden counterfeit behind that can make us.
Speaker 2: Look good, yes, right, yes, So then.
Speaker 1: The kids, if you put that condition in place, it becomes the new foundation, and the pillars that are built are awareness of the condition. Only respect the condition, Your esteem comes from that condition, and then your confidence is in living towards that condition. And you're trying to get a capstone of Ivy League education, but underneath that is and that'll make my parents love me. Yes, instead of loving the kids from the beginning, offering them worth as a birthright and saying I don't know who you are yet, I'm going to help you figure out it out. And it's going to take the next twenty twenty one years through development. And we've brought Ericson's psychosocial model in and we've paired the different developmental stages of self worth along with each of those stages that he offers. Because what we're looking at is if you're given worth the first year of your life, it's you're given a bottle. That's a life need. But the way you're given that bottle is a self worth need. And it's invisible because parents can get perturbed, parents can be exhausted, and the baby can get up in the middle of the night three times, right, And does it want to be fed? Does it want to be rocks? Does it want to be changed? You know, you have to figure it out, and so you get so tired and so then you can give that next bottle in a very apathetic or angry way like, oh, fight and be hungry. That's received on an emotional level.
Speaker 2: How about that? Yeah, that's powerful and that makes a lot of sense because even if they don't understand words, they understand the feeling and the energy that you're putting off and your tone, right, all of those things.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: And I see this a lot and where I live, it does somehow make you feel as a parent like, oh, if my child does this thing, then this makes me look good, right, yeah, and it does put so much pressure on these kids. Not everyone's path is the same. We don't, and we have this cookie cutter thing in some regards, right, And now I feel we are understanding that we do have different paths and that's okay. But through this there's a lot of anxiety and depression, Yes, that is being experienced. And you say that anxiety and depression can sometimes stem from denied self worth. Yes, and that's really powerful. So can you explain what you mean by that?
Speaker 1: That was really important to name a phenomenon that I saw over and over again. I call it denied self worth because I don't believe you can lose self worth but so many of my clients were coming in with what I started calling a lost worth story. They believed their worth was lost. And I started to get a sense of why they believed it, because if the people who love them didn't affirm their worth, it must be lost. They did this little mental gymnastics in their head. Well, the people that love me don't affirm my worth, so it must be lost. And so I started calling it denied self worth, and just I feel like it's so oftens the experience. It's like, how can they affirm your worth and they don't know how to affirm their own and so the system promotes this these threads of denied self worth in different ways. And that's the real problem. It's not that all worth is denied. Conditional worth means some things about you are affirmed, But it's the conditions that the parents want in the system that either make them look good or make them less afraid. There are lots of ways this plays out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense, Yeah, a lot of sense that fear. So tell us what's the difference between self worth, self esteem, and confidence.
Speaker 1: That was a really fun part of my research is I would hear clients talk about self confidence, they wanted more self confidence, or they had low self esteem, or they didn't know how to respect themselves. And I started looking those terms up. Just I went to the dictionary. I was like, what what does the world say about these concepts? And there was tons of overlap. I want you to do this as an experiment. Just go to the dictionary and look each of those terms up and you'll see a tremendous amount of overlap. And I was like, why, why do all these terms have overlap? What's combining them? What's the common thread? And then I was like, what if it's worth? What if when you honor worth? All of those things start to happen. And so that's why I put all those together. Awareness is a pillar because without awareness, you can't take the next steps. So awareness of yourself is worthy has to happen. And that's what I work on in therapy A lot is just starting to create awareness of self worth and of human worth. We need both. My most conscientious clients and I just love their hearts. They can't even get into the self worth stuff if I don't talk about human worth because they want everybody to be okay, and I just I love that kind of wiring in people. So then when we look at self respect as the second pillar, respect is how we protect self worth. And I've decided that's what it was made for. Yeah, it's been misused. It's been used as a way to get conformity. You will respect me. But if I'm a parent and I respect the worth of my child, I sound very differently. I say things like, hey, please don't disrespect me as your parent, but I'm also not interested in disrespecting you as a person trying to figure out who you are.
Speaker 2: God, I love that. I love that, Yeah, I I do. I try to do that. I tried to be respectful of my children's feelings because I recognize and threw my own upbringing. My mother. There were a lot of things that were going on, but I just remember this one particular time where she was trying to parent me, and she didn't parent me often, and so I was disrespectful to her. I was a senior in high school and I wanted to go out and she was out partying all the time, and there was so much dysfunction in my family, and she said that I couldn't go, and I said, no, you aren't going to tell me. I can't go. I'm going. And she was saying that I didn't respect her, and I said, how can I respect you when you never respect me? And it really is an exchange. There is so much more respect when you respect this human And I learned so much much about myself, even through the eyes of my children. Yes, yeah, so I you know, I really appreciate that. And I myself, I'm almost eleven years sober. And it's through all of my healing and rewiring of my brain and the actions that I've taken every day to create this change of myself because and I talk about worth a lot, because worth, I didn't have any self worth. I had couldn't communicate well, I had no self boundaries, no self esteem, confidence. I just felt like I was a shell of a person, truly, and I used alcohol most of my life to cope with that feeling, to give myself confidence and.
Speaker 1: Act like I had it all together.
Speaker 2: Until it broke me down completely. Through this healing and the gratitude and forgiveness and all these different ways that I've learned to find myself, and I don't find your worthy self exactly, And it doesn't have to be transactional anymore.
Speaker 1: Right, One of the things I love to do in session as I introduce this is I'll say, okay, here's your worth, and think of it as sitting like right over your heart, because I believe it lives here more than here. This is where conditional worth is. It's the workforce stuff is up here, the real stuff, like keep it right close to our heart. And unfortunately, there are family systems that have been doing this for generations. They start sliding conditions over the top of that. So when you look down, you don't see your worth. You only see the condition required to belong in that system, and it can get stacked full of conditions. It's usually more than one that's operating, and so your worth isn't gone, but you can't access it, and it's yours. It's your self worth sitting there wanting to be affirmed, wanting to be honored. And so when you looked at and you're looking for it, and you're like, am I not worthy? And the world doesn't support me being worthy because if your own parents don't, the world doesn't really show up and give you a different message. And so what I tell people to do is like, what if we slid that condition, we can do one at a time. Okay, but if we slid that out and we've got to look at that, that's actually a very scary moment. Yeah, because what I see happen in the face of the person I'm working with is when I do this, I see them get gripped with fear because they're afraid nothing's there. It's why they won't ever slide those conditions away, because if you can get some worth for this, you're going to take that to not find out this is gone. I just don't believe this is gone. Yeah, And so what we come in contact with in session is how frightening it is to think maybe I'm not worthy. And that's why addictions crop up. I mean a lot of the new writings around trauma say all addictions stems from trauma. Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: There's yeah, there is a reason. And it doesn't have to be a childhood trauma. Could be divorced, could be something in your adulthood, the grief you know, somebody passes on.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: I work with a lot of people, and in the work that I do, there's once you get to that place of alcohol used disorder and and you feel like you can't stop and there's no other way, and then you have so much shame and guilt around it, and it's just like you don't feel worthy, and then you feel even less worthy because of what you have done with your life.
Speaker 1: Well, it's how you start parenting yourself. And we don't say that enough, but we will copy the ways we were parented. But the reason I felt like this book needed to be written and why I developed worth conscious theory is it's so invisible the phenomenon that are behind all of these really awful human experiences that affect worth. That part's been invisible, like my whole life, and people talk about worth and they say you're worthy, and they couldn't put structure behind it. I was like, how do we restructure this and how do we give it to each other? I really feel like we can empower each other when our parents didn't know how to, and we need to, Like, this is a gift that humanity can give each other. It's like giving back and helping the next generation get a hold of something that tangible and that can be reaffirmed and can be eventually realized and then it's solid. And you asked me a question earlier about confidence. When you have confidence in your worth as a birthright, and you develop realize self worth. That realize self worth is unshakable. Nothing anyone says from that point on takes any chunk of your worth out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it can affect you a little bit, but then you have the tools and you can manage the I feel like that crazy in your head, right, Like if somebody says something and it hurts you and it kind of changes the way you think, and then you can ask yourself, why am I feeling that? What is the root of that versus having that person affect you and how you feel about yourself.
Speaker 1: What if we change that inner dialogue too, When somebody moves against us and we feel it, it should hurt because they've been unkind, so we feel it it hurts. What if we change that internal dialogue to why would that person move against my worth? Why would they deny my worth? That's such a weird thing to do. I wouldn't deny their worth. Like, what if we made it about that instead of why are you hurting me? Right? Then we just personalized it. We just took the pain and we put it on like a coat. But if we distance ourselves a little bit and say I felt the move against me, I felt the verbal or emotional assault, right, and it hurts that somebody is willing to do that to me. But why are they denying my worth? Because I'm not interested in doing that to them? Do you see how we get a little distance when we make it about something that simple? And what if that's the truth. What if they're doing to us what's always been done to One of the things I like to talk about in session. And I don't believe this made it into the book. If it did, it was one little instance, because I need to do more research on this. But I talk about worth envy and that there are people that have worth envy and when they see it in you, it's like, how dare you think you're so special? And they can't believe that you have something they don't have. And I have found those individuals were so hungry to have their worth affirmed at a very early age and then they gave up. And I believe a child will try thousands of times to get their worth affirm before they give up. I mean thousands and thousands of times. So when we meet those people out and about, like in the workplace, and they move against our worth, and then they realize we're resilient, and so they move against us again and again. They can't believe we have the thing. They always want it, and they think they can take it away from us. They think that they can diminish it, and then that will make their choice of surrendering it easier to live with. And I think all of that's subconscious, by the way, I don't think you're actively like I'm going to move against your y. Yeah, it's all emotional. It's all a feeling based thing. That's why I call it invisible.
Speaker 2: Well, what about like the comparison, like that we're all comparing our lives to other people and this could is any age, you know, with social media, especially today, So what can we do to help ourselves not compare our lives to someone else's.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the name of this professor. He was at William and Mary College and he set up three quadrants. The way I use this concept is I take those three quadrants that he said up, which was collaboration and then competition and then combativeness. So those are the three quadrants that human beings get into. And we live in a highly competitive society, right, So comparing is just the beginning point to competition. First we compare, and then we compete. What I've seen is that you're one step away from the next quadrant. So if you're living in the competitive quadrant, you're just one step away from the combative quadrant. So I want people to step the other way. I want us to get back in the collaborative quadrant, like where we see each other's worth. We have mutual respect like I was talking about between parent and child before. Well, you and I can have that, and we can have it every time we interact. And if I say something that you aren't sure what it means, you could say, hey, Donna, can you clarify that that's landing funny for me? And I'll be yes. I'd love to clarify that I meant yes and then yeah, And then you could say something like, you know what, that doesn't hurt as much, But Donna, I have a different opinion on that. Can I tell you that? And I can say yes, I'm interested in your opinion because your opinions have been formed to help you live your life. They don't have to inform my life right now. They might, and I if I benefit from it, I'll be grateful, but I can make room for you to be you and have your opinions and live the way that makes sense to you, and I can actually be happy for you that you figured that out.
Speaker 2: Well, Donna. I mean, we've got so much division going on in this world right now, right, So it would be nice if more people could appreciate somebody else's opinion, because that's what it is, is an opinion. And that's okay. So let's talk about ways that low self worth can show up in our daily life, and then let's turn it around and start figuring out some ways that we do get that worth back.
Speaker 1: I would probably call it unpracticed self worth. So again, this gets really complicated, and this is all in the book, but there are different types of injunctions that affect our ability to practice affirming our self worth. And so if there are abusive injunctions in place in the family system, that's the most severe. Those messages, again, they're subconscious, but they're powerful. It's like, don't be you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people get small right they It's one of the things we talk about. We get smaller and smaller through the actions of somebody else potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, And so then a different kind of injunction we call intrusive injunctions. Those are a little more insidious there. They kind of slip past our radar because they're the same message, don't be you, but it's prettier. It sounds like this be a version of you.
Speaker 2: I like, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so heyy you like me if I'm a dancer, Ye, you'll like me if I go take voice lessons, you know. And so we'll pursue things that make us likable, but we won't like ourselves more if it's not rooted in our truth and worth. And that's I'm going to tell you. The top message of worth conscious theory is that worth and truth belong together, and it's my live truth, and my worth is never diminished as I am figuring out who I am.
Speaker 2: My own live truth, not living for somebody else. Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely. I think a lot of things a lot of ways people perceive it though, like like self worth and what people talk of a lot about the people pleasing overachieving perfectionism. Right, So if those are ways that are showing up that aren't really you aren't really having self worth. When you're doing that, you are seeking the validation or you just have so much fear. I mean I could, I could say I did all those things, But how can we start transitioning into a place where self worth is showing up for us.
Speaker 1: Again? It takes practice. One of my favorite he's a clinician and theorist, Stephen Hayes. He's basically the father of acceptance and commitment theory, and he shifted an ideology that I thought was such a brilliant change. He said, practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.
Speaker 2: M I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. So that's one of my goals with worth conscious theory is that I am practicing honoring someone's worth a whole session. Through the whole session, from the beginning to the end. They're always safe in that room. So they learn what that feels like because they haven't felt safe enough to live true to themselves and remain worthy. That's not been available to them. Yeah, you know, and so we have to get a feeling for it first. Now we're lucky if we have a few friends that honor are worth even when we mess up. That's one of the beautiful things of having friendships. And I think it's one of the reasons it's a celebrated relationship friendships. Shakespeare talked about friendships. You know, Caesar talked about thinking he had a friend in Brutus. But still we see this reaches far back in multiple societies throughout history, Like friendship has always been there. Why it is I think the second most powerful relationship we have. And what's beautiful about friends that are like minded is we make room for each other. We can get upset with each other and still say, but you still get to be my friend. And for some reason, there are much more restrictive requirements in family systems than in many of the friend systems that we join.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just remember everyone out there that it's so important that you take inventory of who you are surrounding yourself with. Yes, Because it's not just about having people around you. That's not fulfillment. It's having the right people that are lifting you up. Yeah, supporting you, not lifting you up right, because that means maybe we're depending on someone else to value us.
Speaker 1: Affirming your worth and so one of the transactions we're more able to recognize because when I talk about affirming worth, people ask the same questions You're asked, how do we do that? How do we do that? And so awareness first, awareness of what affirms my worth and what doesn't. And worth isn't importance. That's such a diluted, detached concept. We can get it, and our whole society tells us how to get importance, how to get recognized at school and at work and in the community. We out to elevate ourselves in importance. But with worth, it always includes this mutual respect. It's a co created respect that says I see your worth and I will not move against it with every fiber of my being. It's a different mental orientation because with importance and with power, it's you're a resource to me until I need to use you, and after I use you, I discard you. It's a completely different arrangement, and.
Speaker 2: That happens all the time. Yeah, So I just want to take a minute because as we're talking about worth, I mean, for me, for so many years, I always thought that my value was attached to accomplishments. How I looked that was a huge one, how people thought of me and whether I was getting everything right and just life became so exhausting, and I was drinking more and more, and that's how I was coping, and I thought I was broken when I realized I wasn't broken, and I wrote a book called wake Up You're Not Broken, a companion for your first thirty days of sobriety. So for all those out there that that are coping in this way, I see you, and it's normal. It's very normal. But we can make the choice to stop, to surrender and take action like this daily action that Donna and I are talking about. So let's just take one minute to see a little more about the book and we'll be right back. Are you in the first thirty days of sobriety or wondering if now is your time to start? Hi? I'm Marcy Hopkins and I wrote wake Up You're Not Broken just for you. It's a real raw guide to those first thirty days, what no one tells you, what you will feel, and how to keep going. This isn't about perfection, It's about progress. Or to your copy now on Amazon. Remember, you're not alone, You're not broken, You're waking up all right. Thank you all for being here, for those that are watching, for those that are listening, We're so grateful you're here. And oh my goodness, talking about self worth. Donna and I just I am so appreciating the conversation, and I'm resonating so much for all that you have shared. One of the things that you shared with me prior to this conversation is that if it's and actually you have brought this up, but I want to talk about it a little more. That if it's not safe to be yourself, vulnerability becomes dangerous. And I talk about vulnerability a lot because that was very hard for me to get vulnerable and ask for help because you feel like maybe you're losing in some way and you're not strong enough. But I'd love to hear what it is that you mean by that.
Speaker 1: Well, if you are already afraid that you have no worth and you've built a life. So if I use my little hand model, here's worth and here's conditions. But some people, because of all the conditions, they forget this is here. They build a life outside of it, and they get whatever they can get, so they perform. Right, you were talking about being beautiful, right, being perfect, So any counterfeit will get you over here, that you live a life in pursuit of that counterfeit, right, And it's a counterfeit to worth. And so when you're living over here and you feel so unfulfilled in every desperate pursuit of this life. Being more vulnerable makes you think people are going to see this doesn't work. I am trying as hard as I can to make my life work using all this stuff the world has given me as options, and if I'm more vulnerable, they're going to see what failure I am. So that's why vulnerable is scary. What what real vulnerability? What real vulnerability does is yet it makes it see that. But then we say, there's a path from that to this. This is there, It is waiting for you. It's always been there. Sometimes I find myself apologizing to clients. I'm so sorry the world has not helped you affirm this your whole life. I'm so sorry your family system didn't know how to honor this and reaffirm this. But we're going to start.
Speaker 2: You're making me cry right now, the word yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean that's just really powerful to hear that, and and it's and it's I think, you know, like for me coming from abandonment a day and my family sexual abuse, all of those things, it's just so hard because you just build so many walls up and you just to bring those down you're so afraid. I think you're going to get hurt and need to see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: You said bring those down because we talk about the pillars, well, there are imitation pillar pillars we're building all the time. We're building our lives, so we have awareness of something, we respect, something or someone, we have some self esteem. It goes up and down, and we have confidence in some things. But if it's not on a foundation of worth, those pillars can come down. And that's that other vulnerability piece. Like so I showed it to you this way that I'll give you a visual of it a different way. Sometimes when you go to therapy, the therapist is helping you take blocks down and you're like, I have spent.
Speaker 3: Those pillars, like you know, thirty forty fifty years, like please don't take them down, And you're like, well, but we could use these blocks over here, Like what if we build those Let's.
Speaker 1: Take the ones that work and let's start reassembling them on a foundation of birthright, self worth, and let's see how much more solid that feels.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the things I have this visual in my head my last day of drinking, like everything that I had built up on my rocky foundation, my uneven foundation from you know, all that happened in my childhood just came crashing down. And while that's so scary, it has allowed me to rebuild that structure in my life on a solid foundation. Good, and so I'm not afraid of it falling down again. Of course it always could, right, life can happen, but it won't.
Speaker 1: It won't fall the way it did the first time because you're building on something more solid. And that's really the goal is to figure out what we were given that wasn't very solid, and that we built our lives on a foundation that just wasn't going to hold our whole life. It was going to crack and crumble, right, But then keep the blocks that work, keep the building blocks that still makes sense to you, but yes, put them on a more solid foundation. That's lovely. I'm actually very happy for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, thank you, And I love what you've said because we are so here. But what I've allowed myself to do is come here, come and open up my heart and and think from this brain instead of this brain. Yeah yeah, yeah. So for someone that's out there right now that they've spent those years proving, performing and people pleasing that we were kind of talking about before. But where do they begin to start rebuilding? I mean, is there something that could start to do today to help them with their sense of worth? And then of course seek help more from someone like you or through your book.
Speaker 1: Well, this really simple exercise that I do is I take the word worthless. I write it on a dry erase board. When I hold that up in front of someone that's feeling that way, that tears come to their eyes. Sometimes they start crying because they are so afraid that's true. And then I'll take a marker and I'll draw a line down the middle, so i separate the word worth from less and I'll say worthless than? What if you're worthless? Are you worth less than? And that shifts. There's a different thought that happens there, which is, oh, oh you mean I can kind of create compartments. And I'm like yeah, because I'm going to ask you some questions. Do you think anybody is worth less than kindness? And I always get to, oh, do you think anyone is worth less than compassion? Than honesty? You know what? What are? What is anybody worth less than? And these lovely people I feel so privileged to have worked with the people I've worked with. They know, they know what they won't do to someone else, and even if they have, they feel bad about it. Yeah, I have been dishonest with someone, but they weren't. They didn't deserve it, they weren't worth that, right, I'll say, Okay, So then let's start looking at what you're worth, because you just named what everybody's worth. Honesty, consistency, compassion, There's there are so many good words. I let them choose the words at a certain point, like take over, like tell me what what? What is everybody worth having? You know, safety, some kind of human warmth, you know, decency that there's some lovely words that come forward. And then we start from there. Okay, let's take the words that you've come up with today and let's start making sure those exist in your head for you. Because this is the dialogue. We memorize how we were parented, and then we parent the inner child, and that's where our worth starts, right with how we were parented. So then we start being unkind, disrespectful, unfair, dishonest with our own self. And then I believe this part of us, I think of my inner child as being five, and I think sometimes she goes, hey, stop it, Like I don't like that, Like if a five year old could really be robust in their reaction to a parent. Hey, yeah, that's mean. Don't say that, right. And I listen to her if any critical thing comes into my head, and I say, like done, and oh my gosh, what's your deal? Like this tone of voice, you know, sometimes it's been when I was younger, it was harsher. It's just like, oh my gosh, what's wrong with you? And then now I let that inner five year old talk back from her worth, she'll be like, hey be nice. Mm hm, why not be nice? Yeah, everything we need to stay say, be delivered in a nice way.
Speaker 2: I think, so yeah yeah. And one of the things, like recognizing perception. There's a method I talk about called the care method, asking for help without guilt, reinforcing your boundaries, healthy boundaries, and embracing your works. So I just I love this conversation because it's so vital for us to create a positive life for ourselves. And Donna, your work is amazing and you're helping so many people, and I just I love your energy and your heart. I could see it. So can you tell us where we can find your new book, Understanding Self Worth and learn more about you and your work?
Speaker 1: Well? Thank you. Can I show you the book? I keep it? Please there. It is Understanding Self Worth, a guide to worth conscious theory and psychotherapeutic practice. It is written to help mental health professionals in any field work with their clients using this model. We do have clients that have asked to read it, and so we put a statement in the front that if if you're a client and you start reading this book, please please please have mental health professional that you're working with to help you unpack some things, because it could trigger some unfinished business and we just want you to have the support you need. So the book is more in an academic tone, and doctor Chris Brown is my co author and that is her area of expertise. She's an excellent academic writer. She's been published multiple times. I'm grateful for her assistance in helping me bring this forward in the most responsible way that we could. And then for me, you know, I've been in private practice for over twenty years. I noticed this gap in treatment very early on. I pursue training in trauma, so I'm a certified trauma professional, and even though trauma sometimes touches on this, I just felt like there were still some things that I could flesh out. So I just continued reading and learning and understanding self worth and worth consciousness is the goal. We can be self conscious or we can be worth conscious. And prior to me naming that term worth conscious, all I saw out there was self conscious or neutral, and I didn't think that was a very attractive shift. Self conscious or just not self gut like that. So I wanted to give people something more nurturing. So worth consciousness is the goal, and you learn how to do that in the book, but again it's a more technical read. I do have a rule for all my clients whenever I have them get a book, I'll say, open it up, look at the chapters, and just read the one that resonates with you. You don't have to read the whole thing. Start with what resonates with you. That might be all you need that week or that month, and then go back to it and look again.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love that. Well, thank you again so much for coming on Wake Up with Marcy. I really appreciate it. Donna.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Well for all of you out there, if this conversation has resonated with you, please make sure you like common and share this episode with someone who needs to hear it. Because your worth isn't something you earn, it's not something you prove, it's not something someone else can give you or gets to give you. It's something that's been yours all along. So just know that no matter what you've been through, no matter what your mistakes have been, no matter how lost you may have felt, you are not broken. You are becoming, and it is possible to wake up to your worth and you are worthy. So I will see you next week with an all new episode, a brand new episode, and I'm so grateful you have been with us today. I hope you have an amazing week. Bye bye