Speaker 1: Start to finish, We'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Here twenty twenty five, here right here on fifty five KRS the talk station, Soto six, the fifty five KRCD talk station.
Speaker 3: A very happy Tuesday, Tu, Welcome.
Speaker 1: To the fifty five KRC Morning Show.
Speaker 3: And congratulations the voters in Green Township District thirty voters for doing the right thing electing my next guest state representative. And it's nice to be able to say that, Mike Odio. So, Mike, welcome to the morning show. It's a real pleasure to have you on my friend.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks a lot, Brian, I really appreciate it. This is a great opportunity. I'm glad you reached out to me and shout out to my friends and voters and the district which is Green Township, Dalai Township, also Miami Township, North Bend, Cleaves, and the wonderful municipality of Shiviot.
Speaker 3: Heck yeah, West said, I love it because of course I grew up in Dell High Yes, man, I get it all day long, and I've you know, you've been with some listener lunches before, and you know, I'm just surprised it took you so long to run for office, Mike, because everybody on the West Side knows how politically engaged you are and how active you are and doing your volunteer work, and I mean, this just seems like the perfect fit for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I had a wonderful career at Saint Xavier High School. I'll tell you just if you count a part time my first year, I had thirty years out there, most as a teacher. So as an administrator, I was in an ideal situation. And I had to make sure that I stuck around long enough for my son to get free tuition when he graduate waited in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: I get that all day long.
Speaker 4: That's seventeen thousand reasons to stick around.
Speaker 5: But the really I really started thinking.
Speaker 4: About the State Rep position when I was lobbying on behalf of the Development and Disabled in twenty fourteen or so, and now Senator Romachuck Mark Romachuck suggested that I run for State Rep. And then when I was I was helping Bill Sites, the honorable Bill Sites, legendary Darry Legislator put up signs in green Township is when he asked me if I wanted to be State Rep.
Speaker 5: And that was in.
Speaker 4: About twenty eighteen. I believe so, and of course I was in no way going to challenge and would never do it Bill Sites, of course, And I was.
Speaker 5: Thinking about this the other day.
Speaker 4: I think Bill Sites is probably the person that I voted for the most times in my life, given his twenty four years in the state legislature and before that as Green Township trustee.
Speaker 5: I so anyway, I.
Speaker 4: You know, it was a great honor to be able to follow a bill in this in this wonderful seat and represent the people in the thirtieth District and my beloved Green Township, del High, Miami Township, and the rest of municipalities. Because for most of my life, which includes basically after moving from Summit, New Jersey when I was six years old with my mom and dad, I've lived in Green Township ever since. And so yes, I am a west Sider, although I was born on the East side.
Speaker 3: Well, you made the right choice, or your parents made the right choice moving over to the west side. But I do remember the commute from from del Hi O to Saint Xavier High School because I swam on the Marlins and keating that datorium. And so when I asked, when I asked, my dad what my options for for high school because I said I wanted to go to Elder. Sorry he went to Elder. He said, you got two choices, O Kills or Xavier. And since I've been going to Xavier every day of my life for the prior three years, I'm like, I'm not doing that commute for the next three more years. So, Okills is what I chose, and I don't regret it. But you're a Saint Xavier grad yourself, and you also have a double bearcat like me, University of Cincinnati history degree fall by a law degree. So that's kind of the path I took and right well served by the University of Cincinnati's education, So I have no complaints.
Speaker 5: Absolutely yeah me either. Absolutely great.
Speaker 4: It was a great It was a great value going to UC and both undergrad and graduate school.
Speaker 5: And then I.
Speaker 4: Also got a Master's of Education from Mount Saint Joe, which right I absolutely loved. So that that and of course, my my journey into from practice in law to you know, becoming a teacher at Saint Xavier High School ran through Mount Saint Joe. So shout out to Mount Saint Joe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what a perfect fit, you know, I don't know how you thought about law school. I'm fortunate enough to have met my wife in law school, which is enough reason for me to have a happy experience with it. But I loved law school because of the Socratic method and the exchange that you would have and the back and forth open discussion. And that just doesn't seem to exist anymore. And the reason I point that out because again, being an educator at Saint Xavier High School, you taught government economics, modern world history, US history, world cultures, in American Civil War. That's an environment that is open to that type of teaching methodology.
Speaker 1: Were you able to do that?
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking of in modern times when we have such divided politics and such you know, thin skin sensitive people who can't face criticism or you know, but the the the idea that you intended to insult somebody, like microaggressions, you have to deal with that stuff. Was that did that exist during your period over the course of your teaching and Xavier High School or did there remain a really open environment for learning and and and and teaching logic and reason and critical thinking skills.
Speaker 4: If if that had become the case, I would have left you know, I really I'm at the point at some point in my adultthood, I just decided that I wanted to be around positive people. I wanted to be around open thinkers, and I certainly was not going to teach anything other than that when it came to my students. So no, but Saint Xavier always was and still is just a wonderful place. It's the the closest you can get to having a college or what used to be. I guess when we were going through college college experience on a high school level, and of course with the Jesuit mission, the Catholic Church's mission, I felt completely at ease and I thrived there and a big shout out to everyone in Sant's High School, the Social studies department, the administration, and my fellow equlty members and the staff out there are just incredible. So I was, and of course the facilities. I'd football for sixteen years. That was a wonderful experience. And I was also a mock trial moderator for two years. The first year we finished runner up in the state on mock trial, and then my second year we got a state championship in mock trial, which I asked for a ring, but that that wasn't for forthcoming.
Speaker 5: They deserve it.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, those mock trials are a great time and a great learning opportunity for young people. You know, get out there and make arguments and you know, just stand on your own abilities. And I've also judged some of those over the years.
Speaker 4: Well that's great, and so you know exactly what that mental abstract thinking ping pong tournament is and and but you know, the thing is is that all these experiences, you know, for the students in extracurriculars, different clubs, the band and other things are just vitally important to being a successful adult and really grasping some kind of some more serenity out of life, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 4: And so, but the abstract thinking skills was something I was very very cognitive of and was a major objective of all my classes, as is complete alignment with the Jesuit Educational Mission and anything we can do to assist you know, the public schools and all students in Ohio to practice abstract thinking skills to break them out of concrete thinking, is vitally important, especially as we head into a hyper age of technology and communication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's I'm glad you brought that last point up because you know, I struggle with how young people are going to get well be able to cope with life's challenges as they go through, because it's not that the default now if you're asked a question is just immediately to do a search on your search engine on your phone. You're not sort of thinking about it and talking about subject and just it's just so easy. And I would think that your retention, your your your ability to retain any information, and some of it's very important, is probably limited by the ease that you can go out into the world and and and get the answers to questions. It's like the old days used to have to do mathematics on your own. You had to learn multiplication tables, and you had to do the what was behind the answer? Now everybody's toted around a calculator and just doo and it's done. Do you know what's behind the ultimate?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: You know equation? Can you actually perform that calculation on your own without a calculator? And I think that's the part that's missing these days.
Speaker 5: Well, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that is in tandem with it is a culture of isolation. And so a failure to apply all these different fields of knowledge and emotion appropriately of course.
Speaker 5: With the world around them. Is this.
Speaker 6: Being tied to your phone culture.
Speaker 4: It just leads to a culture of isolation. And with isolation you end up with sadness, you end up with narrow thinking, you end up with the inability to listen, and really you end up on a path that I'm not saying they're not happy.
Speaker 6: But less levels of happiness and fulfillment in life.
Speaker 5: That's what I think.
Speaker 1: I think that's an accurate observation. Now we'll pause.
Speaker 3: We'll bring my Codeo so back representing District thirty to see if he's going to bring those things to legislation. Is he going to make education reform or what else? We're going to find out what he is going to be focusing on in his electric capacity. More with Mike Codioso. After I mentioned my dear friends at Fastened Pro Roofing since nineteen ninety nine, Ray and Amanda, they know what they're doing over there, well oiled roofing machine. They have the finest craftsmen working for them. Trust me, you can trust Fastened Pro. They'll never ever ever steer you the wrong direction. This is what happens with other roofing companies. They are more than happy to liberate money from your pocket and do work that really doesn't even need to be done. If your roof doesn't need to be replaced, They're gonna tell you nothing wrong up there, No need to worry. You've got a number X number of years left roughly apps some you know hail damage or some other you know, weather related mishap, something like that. But they're going to be honest. So trust the honest professionals. It's a free roof inspection. Hem go top to bottom on that roof and come down off the roof and either give you great news nothing wrong, or give you a quote which would be a fair quote for excellent work. Whether it's residential, commercial roofing, any type of roof. They do it, and I encourage you to check out their website Fasten fast E n fastenproroofing dot com. Get a load of that beautiful copperwork. The gutter guards, the gutters, they do box gutters, included, skylights, exterior projects like and sighting. So trust the professionals at fashion Pro. I assure you you will be more than pleased with the work they do for you. Ay enjoy an A plus with a better business fear. The number to call five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five online again at fashionproroofing dot com.
Speaker 4: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Today General nine weather advisory.
Speaker 3: We have our weather advisories out there, the cold weather advisory till ten o'clock tomorrow morning. Anyway, the weather report says high fourteen today with a few floories possible, mostly cloudy overnight clearing up, but we'll go down to zero degrees and we'll feel more like minus fifteen with the wind.
Speaker 1: Stay out of it.
Speaker 3: Twenty three to the high tomorrow with partly cloudy, size skys overnight dry sixteen with clouds and clouds early Thursday, with clear skies later in the day. High thirty three right now, nine degrees. Let's hear about traffic conditions.
Speaker 7: Chuck from the UCL Traffic Center and you see health. You'll find conference hints of care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more. You see how dot com northbound seventy five beginning to slow between Buttermilk and Kyles. Southbound two seventy five is the heaviest of the highway traffic, with break lights from the Lawrence purg Ramp onto the Carrol Cropper Bridge chuck Ingramont fifty five krs The talk station.
Speaker 3: Seven twenty fifty five KRC the talk station Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Bottom of the hour.
Speaker 3: We're here from Jason Williams from the Cincinnian Choir on the problems going on between the County and the Bengals in terms of the least negotiations. The meantime, though, Mike Odeoso, now representing District thirty here in the state of Ohio, plan I presume Mike, you're planning on hitting the ground running with this new gig. Is are talking about all your background and education, and what an amazing background it is. Do you plan on bringing some of that education experience that maybe brings some reform to the state of Ohio, either by way of house schools are funded or perhaps the curriculum. Do you have any ideas along those lines?
Speaker 6: Mike, Well, it's a work in progress.
Speaker 4: First of all, I've been in conversations with our wonderful school districts, for example Oak Hill School District and the Three River School District. I need to do more interaction and learn more about the Sinciety Public School District. But I do have the idea first, you know, I do want to make sure that people understand I do support the public schools. I support the public school students obviously, though that there needs to be some changes. I think that I'm going to be looking very carefully at the curriculum as it relates to my position as Vice chair of Education Committee in the State House. The issue is also segues with the property tax issue, which of course which of course is also a major part of education in terms of the funding formula and tweaks to it.
Speaker 6: I don't think the answer is throwing.
Speaker 5: More money at that.
Speaker 4: We of course have to stick in some ways to the funding formula because of course the original funding formula was considered unconstitutional by the Ohio State Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going on like thirty years ago, that's right, correct.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think that there's the issue I see is it's on the record going to support the public schools and work with them. The main complaint I hear from the public school sector is the complaint about a lack of accountability for the voucher program expansion. And when I listen to their complaint that they say that, you know, these funds aren't regulated to the same extent, of course as public funds for the public schools.
Speaker 5: When I really think.
Speaker 4: About it, it really comes down to an argument that they're making that it's just not fair look at the benefits of having less regulation for the school funds to go to the private schools. And what I really do recognize as a teacher at a private school for thirty years, is that the accountability the private schools get is from the people that pay their tuition, and also the other accountability is the alumni of these private schools. So rather than taking away one of the great benefits of private schools, which is less regulation as it relates to spending, I would be more interested at this point to engage with the public school sector and say what regulations can we remove from the educational structure they would actually make their lives easier, make their in terms of consuming time for administration.
Speaker 5: I would look at the.
Speaker 4: Testing battery to see if we can remove some of the tests they have to give to their students. I look at bus transportation, and with the funding formula, I would consider the funds they receive, for example, for their operating expenditures, to give them some leeway to be able to spend those moneys on you know, maintenance and perhaps some small capital programs within their districts. But you know, the bottom line is that there's a whole other level of education in Ohio. I was on the board of three charter schools. I think the charter school pro system is a good system. I also think.
Speaker 6: That the you know, homeschooling system is a good system. I would like to see if.
Speaker 4: They could, if the homeschools could further expand their their regular school time activities and perhaps in their churches, but I don't.
Speaker 5: I think the model that I like the most right now for.
Speaker 4: Creativity, because I think we have to be creative in education is the model used by the Classical Academy and Reading Amen. I mean that turned out to be. I was approached by them, and I engaged with them at the very beginning before they were open with their their their lead Mike Rose and others, and so I got to see that the creation of that and that's that's essentially a charter school.
Speaker 6: So I think it's been a huge success.
Speaker 5: I am partial.
Speaker 4: To its background with the Hillsdale College system and method of education, and the more I look into that, the more.
Speaker 6: I find that to be absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 4: How they have like a metaphysical approach and classical approach to education which does all the things that we were talking about earlier when it comes to abstract thinking, for example, and working in groups and teamwork, and those are the things we did at since Davi High School. But I just think that that's a model that, you know, what can we do to assist and it doesn't have to be, you know, a particular political background when it comes to these things. I mean, I'm open to other approaches to besides you know, Hillsdale, but it still has to.
Speaker 5: In the end be very good education.
Speaker 4: And the other thing I was wondering about is, you know, the Constitution says that there's a separation of church and state, which I respect, but is it in the Constitution to have a separation of school and the spirit Because I look at education as being completely aligned with the soul and the growth of the soul, and I could see activities that in curriculum that would not violate church and state separations, which I respect, but at.
Speaker 6: Least the behaviors that come with getting.
Speaker 4: A better understanding of what we call our soul and our place in this universe. So those are kind of like the heavy thinking things. Really, what I'm going to be looking for is the gifts of the Holy Spirit and education, and that would apply also to public education.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, my codeos. So I know you and I are at least I hope you and I have further conversations down the road as you establish your place and represent District thirty over in on the west side of Cincinnati. I'm certain you're going to do an outstanding job, and obviously you have a great deal of concern and compassion for students and education, which of course is a welcome, welcome thing, especially when being in a position to change things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it also extends to other things involving young people, and I'm going to be looking in with my colleagues about how can we help the young people out there who I still have a connection with. Of course, heavan, I've taught high schoolers over thirty years. We really have to figure out a way to get them the ability to buy their first home or to at least live in apartments with reasonable rent. I understand that these go into free market principles, but let's just talk about buying your first home.
Speaker 6: Getting something of the life that you and I.
Speaker 4: Really were blessed to have lived having been born in the sixties. Yea, and again, I really want to make sure the young people out there know that I'm in their corner.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure they're well feeling comfortable with that one. Mike Odioso, I appreciate your being on the morning show today talking with my listeners and me, and we'll have you on again down the road. And anything happens in Columbus, we need to know about legislative items, agenda anything. You've got an open spot here on the fifty five Kerosey Morning should have talk about it.
Speaker 4: I will, especially since I'm also on the Energy Committee.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful that will be.
Speaker 4: That will be something I'm sure that will be filled with all sorts of interesting issues and discussion. Hey, Brian and Jen, thanks for asking me to get on. I look forward to being on again. And the shout out to the voters in the thirtieth district and the shout out to my wife, Leslie odioso.
Speaker 3: Smart move on that last one, my friend, out of your element just like me married smart smart men do that.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 3: We'll talk again real soon. Take care of yourself and best of luck in the position coming up Jason Williams in the sense I Inquire Sports Writer. He's going to merge his political writings from the former Politics Extra segment along with his sports writing. We'll talk about the stadium lease deal with Jason Wims. That'll be next first, though. Cover Sincy for better medical coverage for dollar one coverage for less money. That's the whole motivation for you needing to call or should call John Rowman and the team at Cover Sincy. It doesn't obligate you to do anything. You don't have to pay for the service they will provide you, and what a valuable service it is. They will take an in depth, detailed look at where you are currently with medical coverage.
Speaker 1: Maybe you don't even have any.
Speaker 3: If you don't have medical coverage, this is the perfect time to call Cover Sincy because what they do is work with a couple of one hundred different insurance companies and have access to thousands of different insurance policies, which allows them to custom tailor a package of insurance to provide that dollar one coverage. It's a brand new year. Maybe you got that nine thousand plus dollars liability out of pocket. It's not too late to get in touch with the folks that cover SINCEY because they may be able to save you between thirty and sixty percent. Small businesses absolutely get in touch with them, especially if you're a business that cannot, at least you think you can't afford to provide some help with metical coverage for your employees. Trust me, they cannot only improve your bottom line. They can help you with employee retention because your employees will be happy. Just ask my friend Jeff about that. He saved tens of thousands of dollars off his business's bottom line and his employees are really really happy with their coverage now better coverage for less money. It sounds impossible to believe, but the folks that cover SINCEY are working for you, not the insurance companies. They have an obligation to you, which puts them in the unique position, and they're doing what nobody else is doing. So call them five one, three, eight hundred calls a number five one three, eight hundred two two five five are alternatively. Fill out the form online at coversinc dot com. They'll get right back with you. Coversincy dot com fifty five KRC A Minute of Hope is