Speaker 1: I'm Ali.
Speaker 2: I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 3: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 2: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 3: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 2: This is the Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 4: Five four four three one.
Speaker 2: It feels like for me, like impending doom.
Speaker 4: Get the same wave of anxiety when you see the countdown.
Speaker 1: I got the waves of anxiety.
Speaker 3: Have very little things for our listeners who don't understand we're talking about before we record on this new riverside thing that we've been using lately, it counts us down from five and it is like, okay, nobody move.
Speaker 2: It just feels just like also like your brain is like what am I going to say?
Speaker 1: What am I going to say?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I felt like, what's weird is that it should have helped with that and instead it made it harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I sort of like just being thrown into the deep end.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a little bit, but it's like counting down before you jump into the deep end.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me tell you though, a little anxiety that I felt last night, since we're talking about five four.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm it's light outside, I'm working.
Speaker 2: I'm working late now almost all the time because I just have a lot of balls in the air, a lot of things I have going with you, a lot of things that I'm going with you that you don't even know about right now.
Speaker 1: Like remember the other day when you were like fill me in on like the latest on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I continue to work on.
Speaker 1: It and having your updated you.
Speaker 2: So Melissa's in businesses, businesses, she knows nothing about, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I had that going and then I was on a zoom with my sister, who you know, I'm in business with, and it's like so I'm like head down, I am like in work mode, stressed.
Speaker 1: And like doing work stuff.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, I get this call from somebody that I'm just hard crushing on and I don't know how else to say it. So she is like out having happy hour with her friends, and it's basically like, hey, we're coming over, and so they've been drinking and I'm like sober working. My house is a mess, like so I literally in my anxiety, I yelled to Read.
Speaker 1: I'm like, dude, I need you right now.
Speaker 2: Like he became like my wingman of like get this house in order, you know what to do, like the so nos, the stuff, the like, get us prepared for these people.
Speaker 1: And he was like my my teammate.
Speaker 2: He fucking sprung into action. Next thing, I know, like I got myself ready. I walked down into the kitchen and he'd done the whole thing, like hoary perfect, Reid.
Speaker 3: Is like so well trained on how to do this. I was actually just I took the kids to Trader Joe's the other day. They were very unwilling, they did not want to go. But in summer, so I'm like, we need to get out of the house sometimes and I'm like pointing to all this stuff to buy and then like there was something something.
Speaker 4: Caylen was like, oh, Reed made me that, and they yeah.
Speaker 3: And She's like yeah, made like five different things that day for us, like and she was like, there's no way I could have eaten all the food that Red made. And I was like, you know why, because he's a good host. He has been very well trained on what he was trained.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: I walked down and I'm like, dude, you just like brought so much peace to me. And I should say like too, it's more than a crush, like it's it's a thing. So I'm and I've never met her friends. Oh so and I'm sober, they're not so. I mean, there's so many factors in this thing. So he springs to action and then while they pull in and like he literally did all of the thing. Hey, it's so good to meet you like he did with me, all of it, like he was like having you there and then it ended up being great. Yeah, anxiety on anxiety, it takes me like fifteen seconds and.
Speaker 1: Then I relax. Yeah, and I'm okay, but that one was like a thing.
Speaker 2: And of course they're like, you know, no pressure, like if you if it's not a good time, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, no, it's a great time.
Speaker 4: It's a great time.
Speaker 1: It's perfect, great time, it's.
Speaker 4: Perfect, house was perfect, come on in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so.
Speaker 3: Many things create anxiety that you don't anticipate.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like no, my son was just a camp for five days totally, and it's like sending him off to boot camp.
Speaker 1: You know, I know they don't let you talk to them.
Speaker 4: Great, I didn't talk to him for five days.
Speaker 3: I show up there yesterday to pick him up from like this high school parking lot, and his cabin leader is already there. He's like, yeah, broken out of fever yesterday, didn't feel that great, but he's doing good now.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what, like I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Called Yeah, it didn't.
Speaker 4: It's so bizarre.
Speaker 3: And then he's like for him getting off the bus and they make him line up. I have to like go to the cabin leader first to like get him, like he can't come running up and hug me. And then I'm sitting there, I'm like please, I'm like about to burst into tears.
Speaker 4: I can feel it like coming, and I'm like I cannot like be that dramatic crazy yeah, but also give me my baby please.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, but he did good.
Speaker 3: I'm so impressed with him, Like he is not an outdoorsy kid, does not like bugs all the things, but he did it.
Speaker 4: He had fun. But then he was like, but I'm never doing it again.
Speaker 1: Oh really? Yeah, Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: So I want to dig in on that like was it just like because I remember my parents always had us go to summer camp, and like I would remember at night feeling extreme homesickness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the differences did feel a little homesick and.
Speaker 3: When he was also like, I want my bed, I want a real shower, you know, like and again it was only five days.
Speaker 4: And if some kids go to summer camp for like the whole summer.
Speaker 1: Like readas two weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a long time time.
Speaker 2: I think like when I was little too, like my parents left us a lot, Like they traveled a lot, and like we would be my sister and I with our sitter, and so I sort of like as much as I missed my mom and dad, I don't I think I had it a little easier and that I was used to being abandoned.
Speaker 3: But no, Allie, we need to dig deeper on this, right. I'm I'm making connections here, right, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure, just like my therapist does.
Speaker 3: The thing is, it's like I feel that abandonment wound even though my parents never they barely went anywhere, but my dad was away a lot, and I remember feeling that anxiety that I didn't know was anxiety at the time.
Speaker 4: Feeling that, like when it was about day three.
Speaker 3: That he'd been gone, I would start to have this like pit in my stomach over I mean my dad back. Yeah, and it's like again one of those things where you can't compare her, Like even though my dad wasn't abandoning my family by any means, he was working, it still created like that little bit of a wound in me, you know, And I'm sure that did with you too.
Speaker 4: I'm sure. I'm sure let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: I know, let's unpack this right now. I guess too, Like I'm balancing that with also the example of I mean they would leave for maybe ten days, like it wasn't like they were gone for like a summer. But I would say that, like, I balance that with the fact I think my abandonment comes more from the drinking of my parent, my mom than it does that because I also feel like I'm very appreciative of the marriage they have, like it is such such a gold and of this is how this's a master class and how to love somebody.
Speaker 1: The right way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I was saying to someone the other day my dad when I was just in Florida, I could hear my mom and dad in bed in the morning when I was having my coffee, like laughing in their room.
Speaker 1: Like they are eighty Yeah. Like I could literally hear my.
Speaker 2: Mom like dying laughing at my dad. And I'm like, this is a masterclass in marriage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean picks her every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point. Like my parents they're still married.
Speaker 4: My mom got.
Speaker 3: Bit by a cat the other day, which what sounds spit by my mom. This is not the first time, and this is one of her cats too. It's not like a stray cat, but it her hand swelled up like a balloon, like so swollen to where they took my dad took her to the hospital. She has actually admitted to the hospital for like the past two days.
Speaker 4: She's getting released today.
Speaker 3: But it was bad, like they had to through like ivy, antibiotics.
Speaker 4: They were talking about doing surgery, like all this stuff.
Speaker 3: And my dad's there, you know, without batting an eyelash.
Speaker 4: He's sitting there.
Speaker 3: He sat with her until she got admitted to a room like at you know, eight o'clock at night on Friday, I think.
Speaker 4: It's Friday, Thursday. But he's not leaving her side.
Speaker 3: He loves her and you know it, Like you're saying, it's like a masterclass and like you're choosing your person, Yeah, and you're sticking by their side no matter what.
Speaker 1: It's a masterclass on how to love somebody.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just so, I don't know, like in some ways, if somebody said, what I trade my parents leaving for the fact that they treated their relationship like a it was something they worked up. Like my dad, if I asked them, now, do you regret all the time? I mean, he would say he it was very important that he put all that time in with my mom, like going places and having adventures together without us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do think that that's important really, Like, and it's okay for like your kids to miss you, you know, and your kids to know. I think there there's a level of appreciation that was built with my relationship with my dad of like knowing what it's like when he wasn't around and being like, oh he's back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a void there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think as long as like the parent is kind of being emotionally present in the meantime too, you know, like whenever I typically when I'm not with my kids, I'm calling them almost every day at least checking in.
Speaker 4: I know, like I kind of backed off on like making them talk to.
Speaker 3: Me every day because it's like you can tell they don't really care that much, but it is like what you're doing in the meantime when you're apart, you know, and I think that time that your parents are spending, we're spending together. That's like part of the reason why they're so great today. Yeah, like to have that break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna, I mean they're yeah, it's like they're enjoying. They're in their you know, golden years with their best friend. So it's like there they run errands together. They like they just choose to be together in such a sweet way.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, let me tell you another quick funny thing that came across this morning. My desk was your DJ party. You were playing a song and one of our friends I'm not going to reveal who, but a very sex tape ish video has surfaced that I am so excited about unveiling Lake Weekend. Wait what it must be your DJ skills may just love in the air.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So it's just hilarious, Like it's so funny. I hadn't seen it and then it like surfaced and I'm like, wave, what.
Speaker 1: Anyway you're going to enjoy it?
Speaker 3: I saw a few little romantic connections happening on the dance floor when I was djaying that night.
Speaker 1: Yes you're the d You're the love connection DJ.
Speaker 4: What can I say?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I had a blast though. That was so much fun. It went by so quickly too, like Okay, it was like eleven thirty and I was like, I haven't sat down.
Speaker 3: I'm gone to the bathroom the whole time, like and I didn't realize it.
Speaker 1: So wow, So you'll you want to do it again?
Speaker 4: I would do Yeah. Yeah. I keep joking about it because I'm like I don't feel like I'm not.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, Phoebe gets up there and she's like like, it's like amazing how well she mixes everything.
Speaker 4: She's got all these effects.
Speaker 1: Starting out and then you got to start somewhere. The music was great, thank you? Yeah, it was really really good. All right, Well let's get after our topic today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's play a little something and then I want to talk about it because I have heard this before and I always try to remember what he said because this has like resonated with me for a long time, but it came across again today, so I saved it and sent it to you, and I think it's I think it's a thousand percent true. Okay, I think I was trying to describe this to you once when you were at a long distance relationship.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, but here we go.
Speaker 5: I think great relationships are based on one it called three plus one, which is you have to have intellectual compatibility, which is you teach and learn. You have to have emotional compatibility where you're showing up to grow together, right, you can find vulnerability in the whole space for each other. You have to have sexual compatibility, which is not physical attraction. It's sexual attraction. And you can have a good relationship with one and a half or two of those, but you kind of have a great relationship with that three, yes, because they're not all on high at the same time. They sort of they go up and down and they wax away, and so you need the others to hold each other, to hold the others up when one is down. And the plus one is circumstances like timing, ting, vacation, like when I've met people who are threes and they're married and their kids and they're.
Speaker 1: Happily married, and we look each other and go at a.
Speaker 5: Different time it might have worked but definitely not now, and we just smile and we go on.
Speaker 1: Or I've met somebody who lives on the other.
Speaker 5: Side of the world and I'm not moving, they're not moving, and you struggle, you go, ah, circumstances very different.
Speaker 1: I agree with that like wholeheartedly.
Speaker 2: And I think we both could describe people we know or even relationships we've had that have had like one or two really well. But to have all three is like it's game changing. And you know when you do, like I think it's it's so it's so rare, and sometimes when you get into a relationship it might look like that it's all three and it isn't. Or you know, it could be too that like one of those things is more important to you than another one of those things. Like I've had people tell me that this the third physical attraction, is less important to them than say, the intellectual attraction. And again he's not talking about how somebody looks. He's talking about like chemically how you want to be with them. So I think that it's it's also like you might value your hierarchy might look different than my hierarchy of what's really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do have to have all three to have it be great.
Speaker 3: All three plus plus circumstances be the biggest one, because I do I think, you know, I think a lot about when we had the Lesbian Matchmaker on Sophia a couple of months ago, and she was saying, you know, if you really do want to kind of broaden your horizons and dating, like, you need to be open to long distance relationships.
Speaker 4: Yep, And I agree with that.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of factors that go into the circumstances. You know, is the long distance getting on a getting in your car and driving. Is it getting on an airplane and taking one flight? Is it getting on an air plan flying around the world. There's people that do all of those things and do it for years, you know, and I think it it works for some people, it doesn't work for others, right you, And is that piece of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: To you, you know, I think that's the question.
Speaker 3: Right And to you specifically, it's like and I think that's where things get kind of like tough. Like when I was in that long distance relationship, I had people being like, ah, that's not that.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 3: You know I could do that, and I'm like, okay, I could do it, but I also wanted it to have an end game. Yeah, you know, I couldn't do it forever, right, And that's me. That's not what everyone else feels or sees. And then I know a lot of people that have done long distance for years and not had a plan, just kind of like this is where we're at right now, and.
Speaker 4: This is how it is. But I find that a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Say that when it's like a drive distant situation. I think it is thinking very different to be able to get in your car car. It's a control more of a controlled situation, right versus flights in the cost of flights and all those things.
Speaker 2: I think too, Like if you're willing, like I don't want to drive, I don't want to drive more than about two.
Speaker 1: And a half to three miles, Like that is my reality.
Speaker 4: Like Al's like.
Speaker 2: Ally, I if somebody told me every weekend I'm driving two and a half hours, no would I sure?
Speaker 1: But I don't want to.
Speaker 2: So it's like I would feel like that would become a drag for someone like me. I don't even want to go to East Atlanta.
Speaker 1: It's too far. And I literally, basically.
Speaker 3: Due to your location being pretty central in Atlanta, in a huge city, your options are higher, you have things to choose from. But someone who lives in the middle of nowhere, you know, in Iola or whatever.
Speaker 4: They're going to have to get in the car.
Speaker 3: There was a there's a friend a couple friends of ours, a couple friend I'm not going to say their name, but they met living in the Midwest. They lived in like Nebraska, separate states if I remember, and they were having to drive pretty far to see each other initially. Now they live together that they've got a beautiful life together, but.
Speaker 1: They're times a decade.
Speaker 3: Initially meeting, they had to have like this broad location range of what their dating pool was.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, at Lindsay's ceremony, which was amazing, I met we have a friend who had a long distance relationship happening for a long time and that woman and they were far, I mean big distance, and she just moved to Atlanta. Like now they're together in Atlanta within like the past three to five months probably, And I said to them, like, I'm so curious about that. I'm curious about they didn't move been right together. They're living in two separate places initially, and I'm so curious about, like what are the growing pains of that. You know, you're used to having this big distance and now all of a sudden you're like in each other's friend group, in each other's space.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about, like what that looks like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they seem great.
Speaker 1: I mean they seem like it's working out great.
Speaker 4: Right, And like I think that's just it. It's like one there's a lot of pressure put around like that.
Speaker 3: Kind of big move, like Okay, I moved my life to this city and now I'm starting over again, whereas you already have your establish shit. Yeah, like how much are you going to help me along the way with like me feeling good and welcome without me like overstepping.
Speaker 2: Abandoning or and yeah, without me just totally abandoning myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And I think in the end, it's like one of those things that if they survive all that, it makes them like a much stronger couple, Right, you know what do.
Speaker 1: You think about? Like it's interesting because just this.
Speaker 2: They're a friend of mine was saying to me that, like, you know, maybe when you first meet someone and you're like really excited and like everything is like lining up and you're like, wow, where have you been all my life?
Speaker 1: Like this is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Then you just immediately throw them into your friend group and like then they are like really good friends with all your friends. I know you relate to this. She was saying that, like maybe it's better. She was talking about her own life, not me, but she was like, maybe sometimes.
Speaker 1: It's better to like not just.
Speaker 2: Throw like become just so a meshed, have this person so a meshed in your friend group that if it doesn't have legs and it doesn't work out, and now this person is so here, it's like that becomes harder for you because you've sort.
Speaker 1: Of given up a lot of your community.
Speaker 2: And right after she said that, it made so much sense the way she said it.
Speaker 1: But then right after that I heard Esther.
Speaker 2: Perell say basically the exact opposite, which is date within early like have dates that like your people that love you are part of that, and it doesn't become like an unveiling of this new Oh, I've now been with this woman for six months.
Speaker 1: I'm going to introduce you. I'm ready to introduce you. Melissa.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like that also is like okay, like I know you better than anyone, and you're gonna like bring me this this.
Speaker 1: Project you've been working on for six months.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I don't know like how I don't know what the right thing is. But I sort of wonder if our friend is right in that. Like usually a woman has her own situation kind of like last night, she's got her own crew.
Speaker 1: She's don't worried about me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got mine.
Speaker 1: I think we can go have fun together.
Speaker 3: But I think that makes a big difference when someone does have like their own solid crew, yeah, themselves right, And I think it allows for more of that kind of division.
Speaker 4: Division doesn't sound like the right word, but that's kind of what it is.
Speaker 1: Independence.
Speaker 4: Independence, that's much better.
Speaker 3: Like you can be close and like get to know my friends, but you also have your friends that you've got history with, that you know that if something goes down, they've got you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't say just if something ends, it doesn't have to be dramatic, but like those are your people. You still have your people. You can still be kind and in contact with this other group of friends, these new friends, but it doesn't have to be that you're leaning into those people that were your exes people that are currently your ex's people, And it is kind.
Speaker 4: Of tough too.
Speaker 3: It's like, I think it's good to have input from friends that have your best interest in mind as far as like what they think of the person that you're dating, Like, yeah, does this make sense.
Speaker 4: There's actually an episode of the show How.
Speaker 3: I Met Your Mother where Ted Who's you know. Throughout the show like looking for Love, he's introduced his friends to like all these girls, and he's finally introduced them to this woman that he's like really interested in, and they're all at dinner and they're all like getting kind of like annoyed with her. All the friends are, and he's kind of like after he's like, what is wrong? Like what am I missing? And they're like, we're not going to tell you because you don't see it.
Speaker 1: Oh the glass breaking.
Speaker 3: He's like, we can't tell you the flaw because you don't see it, and like we're going to ruin it for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you see it, you can't unsee it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then eventually the kid comes out that like she talked too much.
Speaker 4: She was like so like indecisive and like chattery. They were all.
Speaker 3: Annoyed, but he was so in loved and then once they said it, he could see it and that was it.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's like, do you want to know that early on when you're you know, before you've immeshed yourself in this person, that this flaw that is so like clear by your friends, right?
Speaker 2: Or is it also just like two like you need to figure it out almost like for yourself in some way, like you can't.
Speaker 1: You need to figure out.
Speaker 2: For yourself how you feel before you have ten opinions. I guess I feel like too, like with my friends that are like my front row conciliary friends, they're not They truly do have my best interest. So unless it's a flaw that's like this person is not a nice person, like I'm sorry, Ali, she is trouble. This is a person who you know, is these things. It's like, I wonder, I don't know, like you, I feel like you would be looking to really like this person unless there was something glaring.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, Like there's no one you're going to put in front of me that I'm not going to be trying to want to like right.
Speaker 3: And I think also too, It's like at that point if I am kind of like, okay, like this is the person I'm seeing, I've vetted to that extent, you know, and if you're doing that with me, then I'm like, okay, like I know that you really like this person.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't be doing that otherwise.
Speaker 3: So I think there are friends though that are looking for the negative and everything everyone you know. Yeah, so it's like you have to be discerning of like whose words you're you know, really taking to heart.
Speaker 1: True, and sometimes that's hard to.
Speaker 4: Know it is. Yeah, Like I know how.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like maybe it's taken me till now and are like you come out. You're in this period of like rapid growth and development, like you know, we call it like a second adolescence almost, And I needed to learn these certain lessons with these certain women along the way to land in this place today. And like I do have a very good read on my nervous system and like my emotional band wid it and how I feel in certain circumstances. And I'm also have gotten to a place of like I'm very able to describe it and tell you kind of what's happening for me or not happening for me. And I don't know that I could have been in that place to recognize what's good for me or bad for me back then. Like it's like every relationship, I've become a little more in tune with my own needs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is kind of wild to think about.
Speaker 3: Like like right now I'm dating and I'm like, I don't need to like text someone twenty four to seven, Whereas a few years ago I would have been like, this relationship is not going well, Like even we just met her, you know, she didn't text me for like two days, Like what the fuck is up with that?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Like no, like that to me now, if I was doing that, I'm like that's too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like and.
Speaker 3: There is a bit of like okay, like I feel so much more settled right now. I feel like it does. Things might progress, they might not either way.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, You're cool as a cucumber right now.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's not anxiety, that's no.
Speaker 2: I think like learning about like my nervous ses stuff has been in therapy has been like really good for me, Like I have a really good read now, even like in business meetings, it doesn't even have to just be like, I know what excites me, I know what starts to make me feel scared and anxious. And I think I've been living for a while now in fear and anxiety about lots of different things, and like that is starting to just like completely.
Speaker 1: Dissipate or as in many ways.
Speaker 2: And so it's like I can just sit in a moment and be like, God, this feels like what it's different, And I don't know. I think that comes with time, and it comes with learning about yourself, and it comes with growth and all those things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's such like a little gift.
Speaker 3: I feel like in this whole shitty process that we've been through over the last few years, there's been so many like ups and downs and pains and sadness, and it's like, but in the process, I've learned about myself way more than I would have if I had never come out like that. The fact that I didn't do therapy at all until I know, I started to realize this about myself, right, And I remember being like, I need to go to a therapist because I think I'm bisexual and I don't know what to do with that information.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what prompted me to go, And it's.
Speaker 3: Like, like I should have been going years ago for a number of things, and so I like, it's great. It's it's like, oh, this gift of growth through this process that I think a lot of people. I think it's becoming more prevalent because of you know, social media, and it's like we you know, you come across these videos that kind of help you understand yourself better.
Speaker 4: That wasn't the thing fifteen twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: No, And it's like if you think about, like when you first came out, like I think a lot of times people who aren't very in touch, they end up just locking down unhealthy things because they just like they're inter real. Like if I had locked down and she would have if I had locked down my catalyst, can you even fucking imagine I am like a completely different human being? Yeah, like what I put up with and what she put up with, Like, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I could see where that happens.
Speaker 2: You're dating this person, you're excited about this person, and then all of a sudden, you're like you end.
Speaker 1: Up locking it down, only to wake up.
Speaker 2: A year from then screaming at each other because you really you are wrong for me in every way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're dangerous, You're you're.
Speaker 2: Scary for me, Like, I know who I am. I am never going to be the girl who's out shutting the bar down doing drugs.
Speaker 1: It's just never.
Speaker 2: I'm never going to be in a CD bathroom at two am. It's just never going to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I but I see how you You wake up in these situations and you're like, what because you locked it down? Like I think about how many relationships that just came out at the gate and then they end up with that person and it's like they grow and grow and grow and then they're like, what the fuck have I done?
Speaker 3: And it is because a lot of the time, like coming out and learning this about ourselves, you do meet someone right out the gate and it's intoxicating.
Speaker 4: It feels intoxicated.
Speaker 3: And you also, I mean the whole messaging that we see throughout our lives of like fairy tale romance and like soulmates and meant to be together and all these things. It's like, just because this person is front in front of you right now, it does not mean that they are the person for you forever.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and don't overestimate, like the catalysts have a tendency and a lot of you have a lot of sexual chemistry because you've been so repressed for so long that finally you're with this person. Don't forget about the other two things three plus one, the intellectual and the emotional. Like it's not to say they're bad people, it's just to say that maybe it's a different kind of emotional availability or curiosity. You know, I have plenty of friends that are very emotionally available and very emotionally intelligent women.
Speaker 1: But I don't want to be with them. I'm not I don't have the.
Speaker 2: Attraction or what their capacity is is different from how I see relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's another thing that I'm kind of like reevaluating as far as like who I want to date. Like, to me, it matters more about like that emotional availability, the intelligence, the thoughtfulness, the emotional regulation, Like all of those things are so much more important to me than you know, an appearance. Yeah, where I feel like and that's one of the things about like dating apps and stuff like that, you're looking at the surface of someone and making a snap judgment just on how they look, where you don't know anything about who they are as a human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of the least important thing, right.
Speaker 3: Anybody can like get some botox and fill their lips and you know, dye their hair blonde whatever and look like conventionally attractive, But have you put that much like investment into like who you are as a human.
Speaker 2: Right, and like you're morphin Like I think, Like I thought the other day, I was looking at pictures of me around my house and like, there are pictures of me from when I first came out or like, and I look so different. So it's just like, also, I'm not the same, Like I at Lindsay's thing yesterday, Like I was very mask sort of presenting in a suit. Yeah, and I think that felt good to me. It was hot as fucking hell, but it didn't good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so bummed that I missed that, by the way, like shout out to Lindsay on her accomplishment, Like, I'm so bummed that I couldn't make it. I didn't think about the fact that I needed to pick up Breckon from camp right around that same time, so she didn't be on that side of Atlanta but they also like.
Speaker 2: Which I thought was really cool, like the military, like they do this ceremony for her, and then they present flowers, like a big bouquet of flowers to her girlfriend. Oh really, And it's like, so there is this like I don't know why I thought. I know, donas don't tell is gone, but I wouldn't think they were like that welcoming of this same sex scenario. I mean, I don't know what I thought. I guess I just thought it would be like just ignored.
Speaker 4: But no, I'm honestly surprised too that that was the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, in her lap, like.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, it was pretty peiful and like she's in uniform, which is so cool, Like we don't see.
Speaker 1: Her like that very oftit. Yeah, yeah, I know it was awesome.
Speaker 4: Send me pictures because I want to send you pictures again. I'm really bummed I wasn't able to make it.
Speaker 3: And it's funny because like our other friends text me like the day before and they're like, you haven't reached out, like telling us what you're gonna wear tomorrow, Like what's wrong? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because that has.
Speaker 3: Been consulting with them lately. I'm missing out on a good outfit opportunity.
Speaker 1: You do love an outfit?
Speaker 4: Can I say?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I wish you were coming tonight. There's no getting a babysitter.
Speaker 3: No, and Brecon just got back, like okay, and i'd like right after this, which I actually need to be there, like right now. My daughter has her like city championship for swim team today, so we're gonna be out of the pool all day hot okay, but.
Speaker 2: All right, anything you want to say though about dating in general just before we wrap? No, no, okay, guys you heard it here.
Speaker 1: No, no, all right.
Speaker 2: Very well, enjoy swimming and I'll talk to you next week, all right, and I'll sell you went on the new business here in on Okay, I love it, bye bye back.
Speaker 4: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 3: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to share your story, email us Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A L. L I at.
Speaker 2: Gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles