Speaker 1: The right fart.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back and with it an annual postseason tradition Scam is back.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app Go with Broway.
Speaker 2: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve sachs Ah.
Speaker 3: Great morning to be on the air here in Southern California and the City of Angels as a Dodgers and Padres are locked up at a game of piece and the best of five and as Good morning Southern California and welcome to saxon Kates in the morning here on AM five seventy LA Sports. I am Tim Kats, joined by a two time World Series champion, former Dodger Rookie of the Year, your favorite Number three, Steve Sax Saxy, Good morning, Tim. How you doing buddy? Oh, Saxy, that's a loaded question right there, because we got a lot to get to in the next three hours and we wanted Dodger fans to be a part of it. At eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy two games happened over the weekend since we last talked, Saxy. The Dodgers came back in Game one in a thrilling seven to five win as the Dodgers jumped out to a one zero series lead. And then last night, last night, things unraveled on and off the field at Dodgers Stadium, an ugly scene in the seventh inning. So much to get into, but what were your initial thoughts after these first two games, especially last night what happened at a very live, evenly Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 5: Well, look, you can never you can never guess what's going to happen as far as all the dramas concerned, especially when these these two teams lock it up. You know, I thought the first game was just great, Dodgers come back, Bullpin shines and you know, the hitting is on display.
Speaker 3: And then in the second.
Speaker 5: Game you can just kind of feel that momentum change after Profar robs the home run. I mean, I thought, Mookie comes back, and you know, it puts the Dodgers right back in this game. Well they were, you know, just down one, but it just changed and flipped the momentum a little bit. But then Profar comes back with that smirk on his face, jumping up and down in front of the fans, rubbing it in their face, and he has the ball.
Speaker 3: He made a great play. I didn't like the.
Speaker 5: Body chemistry afterwards though, you know that kind of rubs people the wrong way. And it went down from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot happened last night, from the first inning, Dodgers falling in a hole as you mentioned, Jerks and Profar robbing Mookie Betts of the home run over the short wall and left field. The Dodgers missed opportunity in the second inning, some great defense in the fourth again from Tatis and right field, which you know, Freddie Freeman could have had a double delede off the inning. Freddie Frieman leaves the game. Then you got the sixth inning back and forth between Flaherty and Manny Machado, and the seventh inning, of course you've got what happened with the fans out in the stands, in Jerks and Profar and Fernando Totis Junior. I think, as you mentioned, the home run changed everything, and the fact that many e for Nano Tatis Junior and Jerks and Profar certainly later in the game maybe instigated some things a little bit. But robbing him of the home run in the first inning, and the emotion at Dodgers Datium going from thinking it was a home run to still it being a Dodger deficit, the frustration, I think everything that's happened the last couple of years with the Dodgers losing early in the playoffs and Dodgers fans thoughts all year long sacks. He going into this postseason of like, oh no, is this gonna happen again? Three years in a row in the NLDS And to be down early, have a home run robbed, and then I think it was just downhill after that. I think the emotions and the frustration, not to condone anything, but the frustration of Dodger fans set in last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there was there was just this undertone of a momentum shift. You know, the great ball that Tommy Edmond hit that was right to a rise that turned into a double play. That could have been, you know, a big one for the Dodgers too, And you know, hey, look, for the most part, you can't guide it. You know, you can only hit the ball hard, and you know where it goes is where it goes. But it just didn't happen for him on yesterday. But look, hey, look, if you sum the whole thing up, we still have a best of three and going down to San Diego, that's not friendly territory, and I certainly mean that is in the in the sports way, and it's gonna be a great battle, I think, and we're gonna see who's gonna shine more. But if the other team belts six home runs against your pitching staff, there's not much you can do, anybody can do if you're giving up six hrs. So that's just where it is right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, again, the Dodgers put themselves in a hole early with Jack Flaherty giving up the early run of the first, the Dodgers inability to get that home run because it's robbed by Jerkson Profar, then two more on the top of the second, all of a sudden before you blinking before some of the Dodger fans are even in their seats after getting their beers and not chosen hot dogs. It's a three nothing deficit again, Saxon, that's two games in a row, and it's one thing in the course of one hundred and sixty two games to be a team that's come from behind and to realize you've got twenty seven outs. It's a long game. But if you're in the postseason and now everything's magnified and we're talking about you know, out to out to out and bringing in relievers specialties, and it's it's such a tighter game. As you know, to fall behind three nothing constantly is a tough thing to ask your offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're you're going in dangerous territory. Then if you're constantly behind, you know, I mean, look at the stats that show the team that scores first is the one that you're usually going to win. And so you can't get yourself in a deficit. It throws a pitching out of whack and you're gonna start taxing your bullpen here too. So you know, the Dodgers got to get back to basics. They got to hit those spots with their pitchers. They got to get some usage out of those starters to go deeper in the game, so you don't just really, you know, rely on the bullpen the whole time. That's the way the game's developed is let those starters go as far as they can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you, Darvius, for whatever reason has the Dodgers' numbers. Jack Feleriti last night gave up those three early runs, would give up one more, but what end up giving the Dodgers five and the third innings and you know, helped them out as much as possible the game. We're gonna get into so much over the next three hours, Dodger fans, we want you to beat a part of the show at eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Coming up in just a couple of minutes, we're gonna hear from Dave Roberts post game. Later on this hour, we're gonna hear from Manny Machado and Jack Fileriti on what happened between the two of them on and off the field. We'll look from Fernando Totis Junior later on, many Max Munsey later on, and Gavin Lux in the final hour. Jerry Harrison Junior from Sports in LA will join us in the eight o'clock hour as well. But a lot to unpack, a lot to digest from what happened last night, and we're gonna get to all of it, and we're gonna get to all of your reaction between now and nine o'clock this morning. But just kind of taking a piece by piece that Jerks and Profar robbed home run in the first city, Saxy. It it's a home run that could change the momentum in a blink, and it's all of a sudden, tied up one to one, Dodger fans are back into this game after falling behind one nothing and the air just kind of being sucked out of the stadium. Yeah, you're right back in it all. It's a whole new ballgame. Instead, Jerks and Profar robs Fred Mookie Bets of that home run and goes into the stadium the stands basically a row and a half deep to pull it out, and not one Dodger fan tries to knock it out of his glove once he goes into the stand. Saxy, it's free game.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If that happens at Yankee Stadium, that happens. I know there's a wall at Wrigley, but you know if that happens somewhere else, Yeah, Boston. Yeah right, they're knocking.
Speaker 5: He may not come back with an arm, right right, right, Yeah, And that's not dirty, that's just it's part.
Speaker 3: Of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The thing, the thing that just kind of rubbed me the wrong way is that smirk on his face. Hey, it's it's all great though. I mean, you know what, he made a great play. Uh you know he said he always dreamed about doing that, but to do it in a playoff game was pretty done. Great and then to bounce up in front of everybody, and Mooki thought it was a home run until he came around second and and you know the playoff coverage you couldn't even see when he threw the ball back to the infield.
Speaker 3: No, he held that ball a long time.
Speaker 5: I mean he let Mooki run around the bases, you know, almost a third base before he throws it in.
Speaker 3: So I know that ticked people off.
Speaker 5: And that's that's kind of where this uh, you know, this momentum shift and you know the irking of all the fans had started right there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the frustration just mounted and kept snowballing and snowballing. But I tweeted out last night after it happened the video, and I said, come on, fans, I mean, he goes a row and a half deep into left field and you're ducking to get out of the way, and you're not going up trying to rob the ball or even preventing him from catching the ball. It's not like you win over the fence and interfered. I mean with the ball.
Speaker 5: If a fan jumps up and catches that in his seat before Profar gets it, that's that's legal, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, yeah. Once the player goes into the stands and efforts to get a ball, it's fair game. You can go up and get it. You have every right to that ball as the player, because it's technically a home run if it's over that wall, even an imaginary wall, the wall is a short wall like it is in left field. You're not supposed to lean over and interfere with the play. You don't do that. But if it goes into the stands, that clearly was a row and a half in. We got people ducking, we got people holding onto their beers, we got nobody really with the glove that's making a solid effort to go get it. There needs to be a mob to go get that ball and make sure it's a home run.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you were out there, I don't know if Profar would have came back.
Speaker 3: Right back to the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but can you imagine what's gonna be boiling up when we get down to San Diego. This is gonna be fantastic. This is this is what it's all about right here. There's nothing better than to have a rivalry. This rivalry was brewing back before I was playing, I mean, and then when I was playing in those years in the eighties and nineties, the rivalry was huge against the Padres and they were very tough to beat in San Diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rivalry on and off the field, it is real right now between these two organizations as it goes back to San Diego for Game three tomorrow night, right here on a FI seventy LA Sports the robbery of the home run you mentioned in earlier, Tommy Edmonds hits a ball that if it gets past a rise into right field in the second inning with the bases loaded and then runners on first and third, it's a tie ball. Game, but instead he hits it right at him and then he doubles up the runner at first, eating over to tease Rob's Freeman of extra bases in right center. In the fourth inning, Freddy Freeman leaves the game. Of the fifth thinning, things just didn't break the Dodger's way, and then in the sixth thinning the frustration from the Dodgers kind of reached a point. Manny Machado uh not happy with Jack Flarity, Jack Flerity barking at Manny Machatto. They come back from TV after the the in between Indians and they're still barking at each other from the dugout and third base, looking like their mouthing like, let's meet in the parking lot. I mean things got asked that ever happened before Saxy were Yeah, you mouthed off to somebody said, hey, parking lot, let's go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then you know that nobody shows up. You know, but yeah, they talk about it. You know, your your your feelings and whatever. Get get bitten on a bit, so you're gonna say whatever you want to say at that moment in time.
Speaker 3: But I say, you know, forget the parking lot.
Speaker 5: You know, if if you really want it, that bad look in baseball. If you want somebody on the field, you can get them. You can get them whenever you want, right there. Uh and and so all that talk is just, you know, a bunch of that, just a bunch of bark. But I'll tell you what I mean. I like the I like the intensity. I like Flaharty with what I mean. You can only see this on TV when he was mouthing the words after he struck out Machado.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was great. And you know, I can't mention what he said, but if you were watching the game, you get it. And so that's real stuff. It's real drama. It's unedited, it's uncutt and it's real.
Speaker 5: And that's what I love about this.
Speaker 3: We're going to hear from both of them coming up a little bit later this hour after the game, what they had to say about it. It's interesting to hear the different sides of their back and forth. In the seventh inning, in between innings, things really unraveled. The ball gets thrown onto the field at Jerks and profar towards him. There's a ten minute delay. Security had to be brought onto the field. Dodger stadium was rocking. Certainly, frustrations were mounting. It's deep into a game, so certainly people have had a good time at Dodger statum, if you know what I mean, over the course of the previous six and a half innings, feeling good about themselves, but not feeling good about what's happening with their Dodgers team. And it doesn't help that you've got Fernando Tatist Junior in right field kind of instigating Dodger fans, playing along with Dodger fans, making faces at Dodgers fans. Now there's a video of him gyrating out in right field towards Dodgers fans. I mean, you're not helping the case if you're gonna complain about fans reacting. And certainly you never want to throw anything anything onto a field of play or a court in any instance. You're not supposed to do that at all. That is completely unacceptable. But if you're a player, the last thing you need to be doing is instigating what is happening out there on the field. And to me, that's what led this whole thing to continue for ten minutes long. And now you know, beer bottles or cups being thrown out in the field towards Tatis. It's because he kept the thing going saxy, Yeah he did.
Speaker 5: I mean the thing is, you know there's something, you know, if there's going to be you know, some dust up or if there's going to be close to a fight or whatever, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's going to be Tattoos and Machado. Those guys are gonna be in it. No way know how They're not going to be there. So it's not to be you know, it's not gonna be Jackson Merrill or it's not gonna be Higashioka or something like that. They're not. It's gonna be these two guys and the the they are there for that reason, and uh, you know they're they're both really good players. One of them is a cheater and the other one you know, is a really good player too, and you know what, sorry, but that's that's the Uh, that's the mental you're gonna carry.
Speaker 3: For your career if you're if you're a.
Speaker 5: Guy that's out there doing the roids and cheating, well, then you know what we're gonna acknowledge it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Let's hear from Dave Roberts post game last night. A lot of stuff happened between Mookie Betts having that home run Robin in the first, to the Dodgers coming close in the second, to what happened in the sixth, and certainly things escalating the seventh. Here's Dave Roberts post game. Let's get here what we had to say.
Speaker 6: We knew going into this series there's gonna be a lot of emotions, and you know, they just played a better baseball game than we did.
Speaker 7: Tonight, Skipper.
Speaker 8: We all know of the friction between these two clubs. How surprised are you that it went to that extent this evening.
Speaker 6: As far as the whole thing that transparred on the field, well, shoot, I've seen gosh, I've seen over a thousand games here, well over a thousand games in this ballpark, and I've never seen anything like that, And so obviously there's a lot of emotions and things like that. But that's something that should never happen. And I guess I really I was pretty naive to as far as the specifics, but I know that security handle the person that was involved as far as you know, throwing the baseball in the field, and you just never want to see that, and like I said, I've seen so many games at Tacher Stadium, and our fans are as good as any any that I've ever seen.
Speaker 9: They've with Freddy, Like, how concerning is it that, you know, obviously for the next month to try and keep them healthy without distinct kind of flowing up every now and then.
Speaker 6: It's it's sort of where we're at. It's not ideal, it is of concern, it's day to day and there's nothing else we can do about it. So I think that we have a workout uh tomorrow evening and then we'll just kind of see where he's at with treatment, and then once we get to uh Tuesday, we'll see how it feels and and then we'll do the same thing for game four. So again, yeah, it's it's not ideal, but I think this is what we're gonna have to be dealing with for the duration.
Speaker 9: And Aviously, you guys kind of bounced back yesterday after getting in that early hole, but how tough is it to keep kind of getting you down three four runs early on.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's uh, you know it certainly uh you know, Puts puts a little bit on the offense and you know, getting behind tonight, I thought that, you know, the Mookie ball that was robbed, the Tommy Edmond first and second base with one out double play right there. But that's baseball. I mean, I thought those are true good at bats. And I thought Freddie took a good at bat. We're down three to one, uh to lead off the third of the fourth inning, and Tatis makes a great play which could have been a double, which could have potentially cut into the lead. So but again, those guys made defensive plays and then they tacked on when they needed to. So now it's a three game series. They played better, but you know, we got to catch a lead too, all right.
Speaker 3: There's Dave Roberts, Yeah, and they got to get out to a better start. And he's right. Dodgers had a couple of great opportunities, and in those instances of sacksually when a defensive guy makes a great play to tease and Wright, you know, leaping out like a ballerina out there making a great catch to rob Freddie Freeman of a possible extra base hits to lead off the fourth inning. They mentioned the Tommy Emmon line driving the second that could have tied the game if all ball gets passed a rise and down in the right field corner. Should have would it could have? But you know it is baseball, right yet sometimes you just hit the gup ball right at somebody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't. You can't guide it. And you know, look, we can talk and analyze this game, that's why we're here. But I guarantee you down in the Dodger dug out, they're not doing that. They're saying, Okay, this is one game. You lose it, you lose by eight runs. So what it's just one game. Let them let him bang out all their hits now and that one game. And look, I guarantee you there's gonna be times where this team, maybe not collectively as a whole unit, but there's gonna be guys in this team that aren't gonna be hitting six home runs every time they you know, go through the game.
Speaker 3: That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: So they're gonna they're gonna reach some times where they're gonna be struggling too. That's just the nature of baseball. And that's what the Dodgers got to capitalize on. You know, hit those spots as of pitchers and make the plays defensively and let the talent speak for itself. This Dodger lineup is absolutely stacked. You think this this uh pitching staff's gonna hold lot tany down or you know the rest of this team is not gonna happen. The Dodgers are gonna have their time too.
Speaker 3: He is Steve Sacks, I am Tim Kates and Saxon Kates and the am Thanks for being with us here on this Monday morning. A lot to unpack, a lot to unravel, and what happened last night in Game two of this nl DS and we got plenty of time to take your phone calls. We want your reaction, We want your thoughts on what happened last night at Dodgers Stadium and this series now tied at a game of piece heading into Petco Park in San Diego eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. You heard from Dave Roberts coming up. We're gonna hear from Jack Flaherty Manny Machado later on Max Monse Cavin Luck. Certainly a lot of frustration from Dodger players. You saw the frustration over the top last night from Dodger fans, We're gonna get into it all and we want you to be a part of it again. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy it's Saxon Kates and the am in for Dan Patrick. Well you can hear on the iHeartRadio app as the Dodgers and Padres are all knotted up at one and the best of five n LTS. Saxon Kates in am am five to seventy LA Sports, thanks for being with us on this Monday morning and as react to what happened last night at Dodgers Stadium, Dodgers dropping Game two of the NLDS. This series tied up at a game of piece off day today as both teams will head to Petco Park and work out later on this afternoon came three tomorrow night, right here on a five to seventy LA sports. First pitch at six eight, we'll have Dodgers on deck at five o'clock. Padres bounced back and tie the series up with they tended to win last night. They scored three runs in the eight, three more in the ninth to really put the next clamation point on this win last night for them, But things really unraveled in the sixth inning and then got out of control in the seventh inning with fans throwing baseballs and trash onto the field in the left field and right field pavilion. You cannot do that, Dodger fans. That is a no note, something you cannot be doing as a spectator at a game. Certainly, the Padre players probably didn't help the cause as things were escalating there between innings in the seventh. But we go to Goose sixth inning last night, Saxee, and things kind of started to boil up. Then the frustration and the emotion of the game and what still was a four to one game at that point. As the Dodgers got out of the top half of the sixth inning, Jack Fleriti in the top of the inning hit Fernando to Tis Junior, who in his first couple of bats went deep against Flarity, hit the ball hard against him. He hits him in a three to one game, and the Padres bench started barking out at Flerity. Man Machado had something to say, First of all, they're not hitting for Fernando Totis Junior on purpose in a three to one game, even though he's done damage against him. The last thing you want to do is put another runner on base.
Speaker 5: Right, of course, they're not trying to hit him in that situation. This is a playoff game. I mean, the game is still within reach day. You're not gonna do anything like that. So, you know, the the underlying, the whole thing for this is these these guys don't like each other. Let's just face it, you know, And so anything like this happens, they're gonna look for the bad stuff in it or try to extend this out to something more than it is. And people get hit all the time, so I'm sure he wasn't trying to hit him.
Speaker 3: In today's game, guys overreact when you pitch in on them. Profar based on a bunt, which is a good job by him to get the Dodgers off guard and with nobody out first and second, a battle really between Jack Flarity and Manny Machado, and Flerity wins the matchup. He strikes him out on a ball that was probably ball four out of the zone and he gets a swing and miss, and he's fired up about it, and the Padres bench starts back at barking back at Flerity. Bonda comes in gives up a run. All right, They get out of the inning, and in between innings, Manny Machado goes to third and Jack Flerty from the bench, are barking back and forth at each other, and you can tell that their mouthing, Hey, let's go meet in the parking lot, and Maitar's like, all right, you want to go meet in the parking lot. They're pointing to where the parking lot is, like okay, this is just like the Brewers Mets, you know series the week before, and things escalated there and then the seventh inning really took off. But let's hear from both after the game last night. First, Jack Flerity, Dodger right hander, on what happened last night with Manny Machado.
Speaker 10: There's a lot to say an well, first is that fans like you should never get involved. There's no reason, there's no need, no ever to throw anything at players no matter what's going on, there's no reason to get involved with it. Stay out of it. Then whatever went on over there, they have every reason to be upset about it, Like nobody we should never feel like we're we're gonna get anything thrown at us on either side. So fans should never should never never be involved, you know. They they didn't like to pitch the tattoos. I look, I missed in the first inning and I threw the ball over the middle. I wasn't gonna miss over the plate again. But I've got no reason to hit a guyther to start off the six like as good as he's been swinging the bat, but we're down in the game. I'm trying to go in for effect and he didn't get out of the way it hit him and wasn't didn't try to go and hit him to try to lead off an inning or anything like that. That that doesn't really make sense. He didn't go up near his head, nothing, just trying to push a guy off the plate. Even by the way sometimes it happens, they're upset about it, you know, that's part of it. Was fired up after getting Manny out was a big spot in the playoffs, you know, that's that's that's what happens, like that was fired up, like oh well, and then yeah, you know, he he did some ships where decided to throw the ball at our dugout and everybody kind of catches the tail end of it, which is me and him going at it, but like I was sitting there for my team, wasn't. I wasn't there to go at him, but you know, he go was throw the ball and our at our dugout and the umpires one went over immediately to tell like, I don't know what their conversation was, but our dug out was fired up because there ain't no reason for that. Everybody caught the tail end of everybody caught just me and him going at it like he's a great player. Like you know, I understand everybody. It's postseason. Everybody's fired up. They get upset, like frustrated about pitching in to tease, like like I said, you know, you gotta you gotta be able to pitch him in, and I miss it in the first sitting and I wasn't gonna miss over the plate again just trying to go in for a tract. So there's a lot that happened there. But you know, some of the fans stay out of it, and uh, you know, I've always just got to play better. But you know it's, uh, you know, sometimes emotions run high in this game and you just just go out and you know you gotta recreep and you go get the next.
Speaker 3: One, all right, so something happened. He throws a ball towards the Dodgers dugout again, instigating and fueling the fire in that incident is Manny Machado and the Podrays. And that's what you see coming back on tving. If you're at the game, you're you're seeing Jack Fleerry on the top step barking at Manny Machado and they're going back and forth and again instigated by players. Probably shouldn't have been, but the emotions getting the best of everybody's sexy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's just the way it is in the playoffs. It's uh, I like the spiciness of it, you know, it's it's kind of good. But look at you know the other thing that we're talking about. Let's meet in the Let's meet in the parking lot. Have you ever been in the Dodger parking lot after the game? You can't even drive out of it. I mean, come on, you can't fight there. I mean, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: No, there's no room, there's no no to even get any fisticuffs in the parking lot. And there's something else he said there sexy was I'm just trying to throw inside on Fernando Tatis. And maybe it's a lost art, maybe it's not taught. Maybe pitchers are scared to do it in twenty twenty four. But getting guys to move their feet, so to speak, in the box, letting a guy get too comfortable in a box against you, whether it's in a game, in a series, over the course of his career. You have to get a guy uncomfortable in there. If he's too comfortable in getting swing after a string against you and hitting the ball one hundred and fourteen miles off of you in the left field on a line drive for a double or a home run that's four hundred and fifty feet, you have to make it uncomfortable not hitting him, but you gotta be able to throw on the inside part of the plate.
Speaker 5: Look, Timmy, look we have a wimp factor in baseball today. There's a wimp out of the American sportsman today. And hey, you can look out in other sports too. Thank God for hockey and boxing. You know, that's all I gotta say. I mean, football, you have to negotiate a guy when he goes out of bounds today, if he's taken a kickoff down the sideline in baseball, you can't engage the catcher anymore. Can't run into the shortstop or second basement. Oh no, somebody might get hurt. And so now you can't even pitch inside. I mean, I wish that you couldn't pitch inside when I was playing. That would have been a nice you know, that would have been a nice luxury to have. They can't pitch inside. That's part of the cat and mouse game between the pitcher and catcher. You got to be able to move that hitter's feet at times. And look me, as from a hitter standpoint, I don't think it's fair to the pitcher.
Speaker 3: And I'm just calling it like I see it.
Speaker 5: You got to be able to back that guy, you know, throwing it the heads different and Jack didn't do that, and he just, you know, he threw it low enough. And if you know, I'm sure Manny understands that. But that art is gone in baseball today.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I heard David Vasseay on Dodger Talk last night talking about this and he referenced it and it was a great point. In twenty thirteen, the Dodgers were playing the Saint Louis Cardinals in the playoffs and Joe Kelly drilled Handley Ramirez in the ribs and it affected Ramirez the rest of the series, and it really affected the Dodgers ended up losing that series to the same was Cardinals, and they did it because Hanley was tormenting the Saint Louis Cardinals and it was a message being sent that we're not afraid to throw the ball inside and if it hits you, it hits you, and it can be a mental thing. I mean, now Fernando Totiz Junior is thinking, Okay, I'm not as comfortable in the box. I'm not just gonna unload like its home run derby against Dodger pitching. He now has to start thinking a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, you put you put it in in somebody's head, the fear that you might get hit or whatever. It's gonna take away from his skill set somewhat. I mean, even even in other sports. I remember in basketball, you remember the Kings and the Lakers had some tremendous rivals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or didn't they?
Speaker 5: And I had season tickets here and I'm telling you they were great and they they even said at the game. You remember page of Soyakovich, he's a long range bomber and he could hit from way out there. You knock him on his can early in the game and he's not going to be a factor. And I remember the Lakers did that. They kind of roughed him up a little bit, knock him down in the first quarter. He was you know, he might have scored eight points or something. He was not the same shooter as he was if you leave him alone. So same thing in other sports, same thing here in baseball. You knock a guy off, you know, make him hit him once or make him back off the play a little bit, it's not going to be as effective.
Speaker 3: So you heard from Jack Hilarity on the incident with Manny Machado and the sixth ending. Let's hear from Manny himself postgame last night.
Speaker 11: Yeah, man, he made some good pitches, right, he made call He pitches got me, got me going. And you know he won that competition, right, you know, made his pitches. I couldn't deliver with with with that situation there want to run as a first and second no outs, right, you know, so he won. Now for sure, what you guys seeing Mitchilla just going back and forth competition, right, I mean things that happened in between the lines. People people were just going going, going back and forth. You know, he's he's competing for Heady ball Club and I'm trying to trying to get a play hit for my team. So yeah, man, I mean this is this is the beauty of post season baseball.
Speaker 3: I man, did you take exception with something he said to you?
Speaker 11: No? I mean I didn't even see it. I didn't eve see it until happened until my my, my doug outs started started screaming back at him. So I mean he woned. Man, he made he made his pitches. I swung at a ball for you know, he got me twice today, and you know, I you.
Speaker 1: Know, I said, my cat.
Speaker 11: You know when when credits doing, I kept walking, you made his pitch.
Speaker 3: I kept going.
Speaker 11: But you know, I then I get to the end of the dug and I see my my team starts starts starts sparking. So you know that's kind of when I figured, you know something, he was probably saying something. And you know that's when everything kind of just went out and I didn't really know what was going on.
Speaker 3: You guys, when you went back out for the field. You were still going at it when Jack was in the dug out.
Speaker 8: What was being said there almost stuff like it was challenging.
Speaker 11: I mean, I mean, I mean, honestly, I mean, I mean, you can't really hear this with this crowd, so I don't really know what was going was ring said a bunch of gibbers going back and forth, and you know, just uh, you know, I was alonging for us after that with with balls being thrown and you know, kind of like seeing our pitch as a picture there a little bit, and you know, I was coming out and then having that that zero was huge for us as well. So yeah, man, it's it's, it's it's it's a beautiful thing to be playing post season baseball.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's a more mature Many and John than he was ten years ago. Sexy because I think ten years ago, Manny Machado is still upset, still emotionally involved about what happened in the sixth inning and harping on it and maybe continuing it. But last night they get to win. He realized he got you know, struck out by flarity there and said all the right things there as far as maturity is concerned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and and you know what, even even what I'm about to say, now you're gonna go what. But I'm telling you if Flarity and Many were stuck in a in a restaurant for some reason and they had to sit at the same table, I guarantee you they would they would not be at each other's throats.
Speaker 3: They they would.
Speaker 5: Get along fine.
Speaker 3: I mean, I really believe that.
Speaker 5: I mean this, that's but that's the great thing about playoff baseball is, man, he can take you from that from a civil you know, conversation you could be having to somebody to you know, you want to just tear him up. And that's the emotion that spurs on what we get to watch as fans to something that's really fantastic. So I just think it's great. I love it. I hope they keep doing it like this because the fevered pitch that we get to experience is you know, is a real thing, and it's real on the field too.
Speaker 3: I don't want to condone what the Dodger fans did last night in left field and right Philip Pavilions at all. But as you're saying that, Saxony, I'm thinking, you know, the emotion of the game guys barking back and forth. That's all either on the field or between the lines, just between the two teams. And certainly when the third party, the audience so to speak, starts getting involved with the play, the fans start getting involved with the game, that's where you're crossing that line, no doubt about it. But you cannot be on the field as a player and antagonizing the fans, you know what I mean. You can't carry You can't be that player who's making gestures at fans and mouthing things at fans and making teardrop emojis or reactions on your face to fans out there because you're instigating it. Yeah, not to say you have to be a robot out there, but you sort of have to be right as a professional athlete. You know you're gonna get the incoming. It's part of it. Things get said which are probably not right, but you can't go back and forth with it and expect nothing to happen. And some guys thrive on it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can tell you at this team thrives on in sandyeg especially tattoos. He loves it more than anything. He likes that attention and whatnot. Hey, one time in Saint Louis, I struck out, and this is postseason game. I struck out walking back to the dugout and a guy dumped a beer on me. Okay, and I did you go to the stands and find Yeah, I was going in the stands, climbing up the rail and they grabbed my spike and pulled him back. But the guy they actually the guy. They found the guy who tried to escape the stadium. They found the guy and they prosecuted him and he got in trouble, so that that was a good thing. So wait, you were really gonna go into the stands. Oh, yeah, I was. You can check it out on YouTube. I'm sure I saw it once on the internet. But yeah, I was definitely gonna. I was climbing up the dugout and I would if I would have grabbed that guy.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know what I've done to him, But you throw a First of all, it's embarrassing to strike out. You throw a beer on me, that is the most That is the worst thing you could do to somebody is throw a beer on him when you're you know, contemplating how horrible you are yourself, when you strike out, you get hit with a beer, it's over.
Speaker 3: I'm reading right here from the La Times. No charges, after all, will be filed against the auto dealer who dowbs believe that in Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't believe that he got in trouble. So but there you go. He did dows me. I remember he was a car dealer. Yeah, he should have gave me a car. That's what I think.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it's only right. Yeah, let's go out to Richard and Gino. Richard as we react to what happened last night at Dodger Stadium as the series is tied up at a game at peace. Good morning, Richard, Good morning guys.
Speaker 7: How you doing good?
Speaker 3: Richard?
Speaker 7: Hey, I just want to say, you know what the game aside, you know, kind of disappointed and Dodger fans are reaction and they shouldn't be doing that. Just a really quick story. I took the family on a trip to the East Coast this past summer. We went to five different stadiums, all decked out in our Dodger gear, and we never had one bad word set to us in any of the stadiums. It was more of a welcoming type of thing. Everyone is friendly to us, whether we're wearing our Dodger gear, and we had a great time, and you know, kind of disappointed to be a Dodger fan right now. But believe it or not, I have faith. I think we're gonna do it, and we're gonna We're gonna take this series.
Speaker 3: I promise, all right, Richard, appreciate the phone call. Yeah, it's it was not a pretty scene at a Dodger stadium last night. It wasn't the best moment for Dodger fans in the history of this organization. Uh, to see what happened last night and how things escalated as they did, I don't condone it. I can certainly understand the frustration, though, and I want to make sure we just keep I keep saying that because I get it. I understand the frustration of the last three years of Dodger fans and the early exits in the postseason. To see this Dodger team up one ozer in this series, but then down three night, to see a home run rob to see the players going back and forth with a tease, getting hurt a hit, and the Machado and Flerty going back and forth. I get it. I understand the frustration, and the players did not help the cause in left field and right field. At one point, I think Profar went and gave that fan in left field who didn't rob the home run from a Profar he game a ball. He threw it back on the field in fun between the two of them, and that's when things really started to escalate. Last Yeah, and you you don't.
Speaker 5: Want things to be thrown on the field. I know what you're saying about the you know the level of frustration that we're feeling, especially and when you're looking at the two teams too, I mean, you're gonna make start comparisons between the two. The top of our order was zero for ten, theirs was six for thirteen, and that's where the damage was done. And we're gonna count on those guys. We're gonna count on Otani, Betts and Freeman to do that damage. But like I said, hey, it's only one game, man, It's just one game. Now, we have a best of three series. It's gonna be down in San Diego. We're gonna really see what the Dodgers are made of right here. And I think this team can do it, not just because I was a former Dodger. We're here talking, but this team is bubbling and ready to go.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. You got a couple of line doping if you want to jump on board. Dodger fans as react here on this Monday morning to the Dodgers and Padres being tied at a game of piece. What happened last night at Dodgers Stadium, from the first inning home run robbery from Jerks and Profar, to the sixth inning back and forth between Machado and Flaherty, to how things escalated unfortunately in the seventh inning in the left field and right field pavilions. We're here to talk about it. We're here to get that frustration out of your system. It's time to clean the soul. Let's cleanse it together. Twenty four hour rule. Frustrated, talk about it, get it out, and get ready for Game three tomorrow night. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. He is Steve Sacks, I'm Tim Kats. Thanks for being with us here on a NI seventy LA Sports Sax and Kates and am here on this Monday morning, October seventh. Thanks for being with us in for Dan and the Dan NAT so you can listen to on the iHeartRadio app. We're live in local here on a FFI seventy LA Sports. You're a home of shoey Otani. In the Dodgers Game three the NLDS is Tuesday night in San Diego's. This series is tied up at a game of peace. Walker Bueller will be the starter for the Dodgers in Game three. Dodgers won the Game one on Saturday night, coming back and winning seven to five. They dropped game to last night ten to two in a game that really escalated and kind of got out of control in the seventh inning on and off the field as the Dodgers fans lose their edge and they're cool and the Dodgers loss, and I think they're frustration mounting over the last couple of you're certainly the frustration mounting last night with the way the Dodgers inability to score. Saxon and I don't want to point fingers at anybody in particular, but I am going to point the finger of Mookie Betts, who is now OH for this NLDS. And Mookie Bets, if you look back over the course of the last couple of postseasons. Oh, for his last twenty two in the postseason. I get it. It could have changed last night with that home run that was brought back by Jerks and Profar, but it wasn't. And the fact that it was robbed, I think then compounded the issue with him being even more frustrated. I think Dodger fans on top of it, putting the pressure on him because they're frustrated with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think overall it's two or three for forty four or something like that, and so so look, it almost seems like it's not real for Mookie Betts to have forty something at bat forty four at bets and have two hits.
Speaker 3: I mean, how could that possibly be.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, the guy is not like he's you know, a bi heavy dude that can't run. You figure that he could just you know, have a few infield hits or whatever that would just happen. It's just, uh, it's just the way it's been in the postseason for him. But he can change it, you know, he can turn this thing around. But Mooki is a kind of a player that can carry a team just like Show Hey can, just like Freddie Freeman can. They've got guys on the top of that order that can do it a lot themselves, and he's more than capable of doing it. You know, you don't know why some of this it happens in postseason where guys just don't perform the way they do in the regular season. There's nothing that's different about it. It's it's kind of just, uh, it's just the way it's been.
Speaker 3: Isn't a thing you think. I think it.
Speaker 5: I think some of it can you know, kind of creep into your psyche and uh and get to you. But I think the thing is, you got to go back to the oak cliche. What is the old cliche? Just go back to basics.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: You know, while you're there, they're paying the dude well over three hundred million bucks because he is special, special, special player, and and Mooki is a fin phenomenal athlete. And you stand next to the guy. He's not a big dude. I mean, he's like maybe five eight one seventy, but he has got some kind of talent. And I just think, like I said before, that the Tiger's going to bust out of the cage, and I will stand by that. I think it's going to happen for Mookie. He he's the kind of guy that can carry the team throughout and up through the World Series.
Speaker 3: It's going to JJ and Beaumont joins us here on m five seventy LA Sports. Hi, JJ, good morning.
Speaker 12: A little bit frustated everybody else is, but uh, you know, I'm still a Dodgers fan. Will always be a Dodgers fan no matter what. And uh, mistack there hit on the moviie. He's gonna slamp take some hints from Pete Rose, you know, I mean, stands going to do something. But yeah, he had to change that. You gotta be positive about it. Do not blame Dave Roberts. He's not in it hitting the ball. He's just put the players in the right position at the right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Surprisingly, thanks for the phone call, JJ, Surprisingly, Saxy not seeing a lot of fingers point out to Dave Robbers, which is usually the first person people want to point fingers at.
Speaker 5: Well, the Dodgers win the first game in impress the fashion they come back and the second game, you know it's easier. You can't point the fingers at the manager. When the other team hits six homers. I mean, right, really, come on, what are you gonna do? What's they gonna do?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know, will that one down so it doesn't go out of the park. I mean, nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 5: But you know, actually, hey, it's almost better when it's a blowout, you know what I mean. It wasn't a finger yeah, I think, so let them shoot all their guns off. And believe me, I know how this game. I know how this game goes in cycles. And nobody's gonna stay at the top the whole time. You're gonna have downturns. And there's a reason that the Dodgers finished in front of the Padres in the regular season. You know, but I do think that these are two probably the two best teams in the National League going at it.
Speaker 3: Let's go, let's go to Rob in Manhattan Beach next up here on Saxon Kate's and am hi Rob?
Speaker 1: Are you doing hey great? Great? Wide awake? And I'm glad to listen to you and taking my call? Three things real quick? You know something, I listened to the game on five seventy last night, I think Monday and Nelson did a wonderful job, as useful as usual, and also was very responsible on their coverage of those antics in the outfield. And then the second thing is I got to give a shout out to a hero of my childhood, Juan Marichale, great Dodger, also a wonderful San Francisco Giant. And all I can say is it's glad it wasn't Wan Mayrochelle that night, because for a pitcher he could swing a bat is who may know? And then the third thing is really quick the whoever the people it can be identified for, Well, you could throw a ball back into the field. That's one thing. Throwing the water bottles. When I was a kid, they used to throw beer bottles and key is our stadium. It was more interesting than the forty nine ers game. But they really should be denied their license or whatever you do to get a ticket at Dodger Stadium because that's just not right and it's given them. Some of the things that have happened in the parking lot just not right at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no place for it, no place for it.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: I saw a video of you know, things being thrown from up high down into the Padres bullpen. Yeah, this can't happen. This is not who the Dodgers are, This is not who Dodger Nation is, the fans, and it was hopefully a one time thing that happened to Dodger's dam that should have never happened. And luckily nobody got hurt. Thankfully, You're right, you know, right, players on the field are fans in the stands.
Speaker 5: Nobody got hurt because then it would have been extended out, it would have been a lot deeper, and you know the investigations. It would have been a hangover that you don't want. So luckily nobody was struck in the head and hurt like anything like that.
Speaker 3: So anyway, let's go to Wan in San Diego before we hit the top of the hour. Wan, Good morning, how you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm doing good, guys. Tell you guys, come on Saw. I'm a long time Dodger fans, born range in San Diego, but I always rooted for the Blue. I'm married to a Dodger, I mean pottery expand my wife sup pottery man. So it kind of hits me at home when we go at it. But last night, I mean, good game. But I think, you know, for the kids being in the stadium seeing that stuff, it's like it's kind of uncalled for, and I think they could have probably acted a little bit better. But also too with the Potteries the way they are. When the Dodgers come down here and they do that beat l A, beat l A, it does give us fire to go back and and try to beat the Potteries. But it's just some of the things they're doing down here, like the thing they did to crush all I don't think I remember I.
Speaker 3: Had the crying emoji on the on the jumbos in San Diego.
Speaker 8: It's like stuff like that, like Dodger Nation. Dodger we don't. We don't do that stuff, you know. I mean, we go out there, we do our best, and if we lose, we lose. If we win, we go for it we win, But we don't.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 8: We're not that Dodgers are world class and that no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Well said one appreciate the phone call eighty sixty six nine eight seven seventy with the top the hour will come back more of your reaction to last night, what happened in the game, what happened off the field there the seventh inning. It is unacceptable. It should never happen again. But I understand the frustrations that started to boil up there at Dodger Stadium. We'll get into it more. Jerry Harrison Junior will join us in the eight o'clock hour. We're going to hear from Max Munsey coming up. Fernando Toatiz Junior spoke out to the game. We'll hear from him coming up in just a couple of minutes later on Gavin Lux will hear from him and the frustrations from this Dodger's team. Yeah, you're frustrated. The Dodger team is frustrated. We're all frustrated. And this series is now going back to San Diego Tide at a Game of peace. He is Steve Sacks. I'm Tim Kats. We're live and local here on am FI seventy il I Sports