Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Are we sure? Are we sure it's time to get up?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes it is. It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, April twenty third. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. I keep thinking it's Thursday. Like normally, I don't know about you, but weeks have been just flying by. I don't know if it's because we're having fun or what's going on, but weeks are just flying by. And then this week I keep thinking it's Thursday. I'm like, no, cool, your you know, cool, your jets same, it's only Wednesday. But that's okay. It means we're halfway home. Halfway home. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. The LAPED is urging residents to be careful following a series of so called distraction robberies. Police say a man and a woman have been approaching people, engaging them and complimenting their jewelry, and then police say they offer to swap their jewelry for better jewelry and somehow get the victims to let them put on fake jewelry and steal the real pieces. A man in Long Beach, seen on video lifting his dog by its leash, slamming it onto the ground several times and kicking it, has been arrested. Long Beach Police picked the guy up last night. Police say the dog has been rescued. It's in the care of Long Beach Animal Care Services. That video breaks my heart. It's just gone viral. It's everywhere, and if you haven't seen it and you don't like to see dog abuse, don't watch it. It's just so infuriating. The body of Pope Francis is lying in Steae at Saint Peter's Basilica. The faithful will pass by for the next couple of days to pay their last respects. The Pope's funeral happens Saturday, starts at one am hour time. This body will then be taken to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major in Rome to be in tune. Okay, the wildfires in Pasadena, more than ae hundred days out and also Altadena are literally affecting the brains of people who live in burn zones. We're gonna be talking to UC San Diego professor Yo T. Mishra about a new study about how the fires are making people think differently, really interesting stuff. At five point twenty, we're going to be talking tough times for TESLA, and ABC's Mike Tubuski says something that has become a staple for video viewing is turning twenty. At the bottom of the hour, Amy's on it speaking of things that are more than twenty years old. A throwback feel good movie I think you're gonna want to watch. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD has arrested a man accused of using a chainsaw to cut down a bunch of trees in downtown LA. Police released security video yesterday of a man on a bicycle believed to have been responsible for the hackings. His arrest was announced hours later. Investigator say he also cut down trees in LA's Westlake District and in glasel Park, Orange County Superior Court judge charged with killing his wife in Anaheim Hills has been found guilty of second degree murder seventy four year old Jeffrey Ferguson was convicted yesterday in his retrial. Orange County DA Todd Spitzer tells cafe's Tim Conway Junior that Ferguson could get forty years to life in prison, possibly with the possibility of parole.
Speaker 5: I just want to caveat the public's expectation when you're over fifty five, who end up being eligible in California for elder parole.
Speaker 1: The jury in Ferguson's first trial deadlocked at eleven and one, which forced the retrial. Ferguson is due to be sentenced in June. A controversy over porn sign is getting heated in Huntington Beach.
Speaker 6: Shines reading protect our Kids from Porn no On A and B have appeared outside local elementary schools. The signs were placed ahead of a June tenth special election on two library related measures. Councilman Chad Williams, who leads the pack behind the signs, defends them, saying explicit content is accessible to miners in public libraries. Critics argue the claims are exaggerated and have called for a formal investigation. Parents are voicing concern about exposing young children to the term porn without context. Hearings and debates over the measures are ongoing. Heatherbrooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: DMV offices are packed as Californians rush to get their real ID.
Speaker 7: To manage the number of people trying to get the real ID before federal enforcement begins in a couple weeks, state DMV offices have extended hours. DMV spokesman Himy Garza says, if you don't have to get on a plane or go to a federal building, it may be best to chill out for now. Then we encourage you to use those documents and wait to upgrade to a real ID when you're driving. For renewal on May seventh, the federal government building a real ID for flying and access to federal property. Garza says that's not a deadline to get a real ID. They will still be available after that date. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Michael, Michael. I think that might have been Jordana interrupting us. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Giordana Millard. Jordana, we had two big leaders having another conversation yesterday. Natanyahu and Trump spoke my phone.
Speaker 8: That's right, and we really didn't hear many details of that conversation.
Speaker 1: He is reelly.
Speaker 8: Prime Minister's office didn't even put out a statement to read out. Just Natano turned to Twitter and put on this account, thank you very much, President Trump. Trump of course put on his social media account that you know, they had a good meeting. It was very positive there. You know, they see eye to eye on all the issues wrong, and they also talked about tariffs. There wasn't in there a mention of the Gaza war or the hostages. There really has been no movement on a ceasefire deal over the Passover holiday. Hamas rejecting the latest partial agreement that was put on the table by some of the mediators and supported by Israel in the United States. Hamas said, no, we're only interested in a full swap of all the fifty nine hostages in return for an end of the war and a full Israeli withdrawal. For many reasons, the Israelis cannot do that, so we're kind of back to square one. And in this conversation, you know, it's likely that the President did mention, of course, the Gaza war. He wants the hostages to come out and the President that the Israeli Prime Minister has been threatening to really intensify the military operation, even some in his cabinet openly calling for a military takeover of the entire Gaza strip. But that is likely not what the President wants. And we are hearing that the Israeli Prime Minister is going to wait and give another chance for negotiations, wait several, you know, a couple at least a couple more weeks and see what happens. And also wait and see what happens between you know, the United States in Iran with these new negotiations over Ron's nuclear program. Right, the Prime Minister has certainly put in his two cents with the President about some of Israel's concerns with the deal. And you know, I think the Prime Minister is showing that he's going to be patient and wait and see what happens with those talks.
Speaker 1: And of course we'd be purely speculating if we throw any conclusions. But to me, it sounds like if they both said, hey, he had a good talk, but there were no announcements in the White House didn't say anything, and Natnahu's people didn't really say anything. It sounds like they didn't really make any progress.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure there was any progress made, but I do think it's probably too early to talk about any kind of really crisis between the leaders or major tensions. I think President Trump has made it clear that he wants Natamielle to do his best to get a hostage deal before launching another massive military assault on Gaza. Remember, right now, there are thousands of Israeli troops in the Gaza Strip. They're mostly in the carved out and expanding buffer zone all along the periphery of the Gaza Strip. Right, they're pushing inwards, but there isn't massive ground combat right now that and there, but there are deadly air strikes.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 8: We're seeing an average of thirty to fifty people killed a day, which is not a small number, but it's not at the levels of major combat and war that we saw, you know, through most of the war, the first phase of the war, where up to two hundred people were killed to day.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: So the President I think is likely telling Natanyao hold back, wait right now, you know, let's try to get a deal and you know, keep your you know, far right ministers who are pushing for war, you know, keep them, you know, keep them in line. And you know I want, you know, I want to see a deal only after, you know, after everything's been exhausted.
Speaker 1: And I think the tragic thing about this Chartana is as the two sides talk and then like you said, Hamas rejected the last thing, I mean, it's and you said, we're back to square one. It still sounds like both sides are still stuck on what they were stuck on, you know, a year ago when this started, and then Palestinians continue to pay the price.
Speaker 8: Right well, I think the saddest part of this war really, I mean, there's a lot of sad parts. I don't want to put any group's pain above another's, because the Israeli hostages have suffered tremendously. There are fifty nine that are still there, their families are suffering. It has really it is a festering wound in Israel, and it is torn part of this country apart. But certainly the Palestinians are also paying a very heavy price because they're dying every day in this war now. And it's true that among those killed, you know, very bad guys are killed. Right there are Hamas militants and leaders killed, There are Palestinian Islamic jihadis killed, there are weapons destroyed. But the price, you know, there's usually at least for every one bad guy, at least two to three innocent gossins that are killed, right, women, children, the elderly. And this is you know, this is a terrible, terrible price to pay, and they are you know, they are paying it, and it you know, it has, it has slowly been. The death toll each day again is somewhere between thirty and fifty. And remember a lot of gossins are living in tense cities. And as we saw, for example, overnight, the Israelis hit a school that in Gaza that you know, we're waiting for a statement from the Israli Army to lay out who the target was. But you know, in the end, that strike, you know, it ignites tens where civilians are living, and then it becomes you know, almost a kind of brush fire right through the camps where people are living, and it's people are porched and get killed. It's you know, it is you know, horrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, and I hate to leave it on that note, but that's where we're going to leave it today. Jordanna Miller, ABC, thank you so much for your information. As always, talk soon, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A belle ceremony has been held in Rome as the coffin carrying the body of Pope Francis has moved into Saint Peter's Basilica, where it will lie in state for three days. The public will have the chance to pass by and pay their respects before the Pope's funeral on Saturday. Francis died early Monday. The conclave, which is the process of choosing a new pope, has to begin between May fifth and tenth. Russian President Vladimir Putin has apparently offered to stop its invasion of Ukraine along what is now the front line so different borders. The Financial Time says it's part of efforts to reach a peach deal, a peace deal. You and European officials meet with Ukrainian officials today in London. Trump said on True Social he hopes Russia and Ukraine will make a deal this week. The government has submitted its status update on the man who was living in Maryland and deported to El Salvador. It follows President Trump's criticism of judges who've ruled against his administration's effort to deport alleged Venezuelan gang members under the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight.
Speaker 4: We're getting him out, and a judge can't say no, you have to have a trial.
Speaker 8: That let's the trial is going to take two years.
Speaker 1: He says. Thousands of people are all ready to be deported, and you can't have a separate trial for each of them. Security has been increased across Indian controlled Kashmir a day after men with guns killed at least twenty six people, most of them tourists. Indian forces have been searching for the killers. Police called it a terror attack. A group known as the Kashmir Resistance claimed responsibility in a social media message. They claimed the people targeted were not ordinary tourists, but were linked to and affiliated with Indian security agencies. You may be able to order a red rum at this hotel's bar.
Speaker 9: The hotel that inspired the horror classic The Shining is making major upgrades. The new owners of the Stanley Hotel in Colorado are tapping into municipal bonds to use nearly three hundred million dollars to add more rooms and events center and a horror museum curated by Blumhouse that's the production studio behind numerous horror movies, including Halloween and Paranormal Activity. No word on any special amenities in Room two thirty seven. The goal is to take advantage of the Sundance Film Festival relocating to nearby Boulder in twenty twenty seven. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: I never saw the shining ooh, I know red rum, I know those little things and he and Jack's back and that kind of stuff. But no, no, nope, nope.
Speaker 9: All work and no play.
Speaker 1: Eh uh huh, all right. ICE agents have rounded up and detained more than a dozen day laborers in Pomona, sparking a protest from immigrant rights groups. ICE agents in marked and unmarked cars took fifteen to twenty of the laborers into custody yesterday morning. Outside the home depot, protesters rallied yesterday afternoon to condemn the raid and remind illegal immigrants they have rights if they're detained. One of the most massive wildfires in the history of Ocean County, New Jersey, is burned through more than eighty five hundred acres and forced evacuations of thousands of residents. It's also burning close to a closed nuclear power plant. Winds have died down overnight, allowing fire crews to get lines around about ten percent of the fire. Two Asian elephants at the La Zoo are going to be moved to a new home. Animal rights advocates have been fighting for years to let the forty and fifty eight year old elephants live out their lives in a wildlife sanctuary. Zoo officials say they will relocate Billy and Tina to a newly expanded preserve at the Tulsa Zoo in Oklahoma. A date for the move has not been set. At six oh five to ten Alon the News, the President says he has no intention of firing FED chairman Jerome Powell. What's that going to do to the markets? We will see. Let's say good morning right now to ABC's technology reporter Mike Debuski. Morning, Mike, good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 1: So yesterday first quarter earnings report for Tesla was released and it was not a great one.
Speaker 2: It was not Yeah, revenues for this company. Automotive revenues were down twenty percent. Total revenues for the company were down nine percent and overall profits down seventy one percent. Amy So this is not great for Tesla, obviously, a hugely prominent electric vehicle manufacturer used to be the biggest electric vehicle manufacturer in the world that has since been surpassed by a Chinese company. Obviously, the CEO of that company, Elon Musk, has been generating some controversy for his actions at the Department of Government Efficiency, and this was our first real indicator as to what effect Elon Musk is having on Tesla sales. Obviously, we've seen major protest movements crop up across the country at Tesla dealerships, Tesla charging stations. This protest movement calls itself the Tesla takedown, and these are people who are dissatisfied with Elon Musk's moves at the federal government, his efforts to trim the federal workforce. I've spoken to these protesters. They say Elon Musk is an unelected billionaire wreaking havoc on our federal government and on people's lives. And clearly that seems to be showing up at Tesla's dealerships. For Tesla deliveries and sales, you know, and you know, to say nothing of the stock price of Tesla, which was down pretty dramatically yesterday though is trading slightly up in pre market trading today, So wally interesting to.
Speaker 1: See what happens with that as he exits his role at doche because he had said one hundred days and he's done, so that's like the end of April.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he made sort of more you know, mention of that yesterday after the earnings report was released. During an earnings call, Lon Musk said that his work at DOGE is pretty much done and that he plans to step back. He was always a temporary federal worker, right His status at DOGE was always had sort of this time limit on it, and that time limit comes due next month, so it seems like he's not going to renew. He says his work is pretty much done, as I mentioned, so yeah, it seems like he's going to take a step back to focus a little bit more on Tesla, which is facing a number of challenges right now. Aside from sort of the controversies that its CEO connotes on the brand, they're also facing increased competition from a sort of resurgent establishment automakers both from here and abroad. The sales are down in Europe, sales are down in China, and he has mentioned that the tariffs that the Trump administration has imposed on the automotive sector will have an effect on the company, despite the fact that Tesla builds all of its domestic market Tesla's here in Texas and in California. They do say that the tariffs on components automotive, you know, part are going to have an impact on Tesla prices and therefore Tesla sales. So a lot of challenges that this company's facing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I want to move on because we have a very important happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely right. Twenty years ago today was the first YouTube video. It's hard to believe that this company, this platform is now twenty years old, but yes, on April twenty third of two thousand and five, this video is called Me at the Zoo was uploaded to the platform. Here's what it sounded like.
Speaker 1: All right, so here we are one of the elephants in the neighbor.
Speaker 9: Cool things about these guys to think said, they have really, really, really long.
Speaker 1: From thanks.
Speaker 2: So a pretty innocuous video. I think it's fair to say, but that was Jawad Kareem. He was one of three founders of YouTube uploading this video to the platform. Interestingly enough, these are three ex PayPal employees who started a video dating service. Essentially, this was their attempt to connect people on the relatively early Internet, but they found that people were using the video component of that dating service for all kinds of things, so they decided to spin it off into its own standalone video streaming platform called YouTube. It quickly became very popular. By March of two thousand and six, just a few months after that video was uploaded, YouTube was hosting twenty five million videos. About twenty thousand new videos were being uploaded to the platform every day, and amy that required a lot of computing power. They were also dealing with copyright claims from music studios and movie studios mad that people were uploading copyrighted material to the platform, so Google stepped in in two thousand and six to acquire the company for one point sixty five billion dollars. Now, according to Nielsen, Americans watch about a billion hours of YouTube content every day.
Speaker 1: Well, Mike, I can tell you that I've already been watching it because I had to pull a clip from a segment that I'm going to do next. I had to pull a clip from the show which I have not seen and refused to watch. And also it's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's a great movie.
Speaker 1: It's so good a right, And then of course I've got the big bear Egle Cam on YouTube and it's live all the time in the thing because our little Eglitz, Sonny and Gizmo are growing bigger every day. ABC's Mike Dubuski, thanks so much, of course, Amy, take care right. LA's taking steps to better track the money spent on the homeless.
Speaker 7: The city Council voted unanimously to have a report in two months and then every quarter after. It would require full details on homeless dollars spent by the LA Homeless Services Authority, Mayor bass Is Inside Safe program and other initiatives. A recent audit ordered by a federal judge found the city had little to know oversight of how and where it's homeless dollars are being used. The city has spent billions in recent years, only to see the official number of homeless people barely drop. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Hollywood workers are rallying behind a major push to expand California's film and TV tax credit program.
Speaker 6: Over one hundred thousand letters have been sent to state lawmakers urging support for SB six thirty and AB one one three eight. These are bills that would boost tax incentives to seven hundred and fifty million dollars a year and widen eligibility for productions. The Entertainment Union Coalition says the move is critical to keeping jobs in California as productions flee to other states. Hearings on the bill began on Tuesday and will continue this week. Opponents are skeptical over whether more than doubling the incentive cap is the most productive use of those funds. If approved, the new program would make California's film incentives second only to Georgia's. Heatherbrooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: The European Union has fined Apple five hundred million euros and Meta two hundred million euros in separate digital cases. Apple was accused of preventing app makers from pointing users to cheaper options outside the app store. Meta was fined for forcing Facebook and Instagram users to choose between seeing ads or paying to avoid them. When Orange County Superior Court judge has been convicted of second degree murder for shooting and killing his wife at their home in Annah Hills. Seventy four year old Jeffrey Ferguson had claimed it was an accident, but the jurors didn't agree and returned a guilty verdict in his retrial yesterday afternoon. Ferguson's first trial ended with a hung jury. The Port of Long Beach is expected to see a forty four percent drop in cargo traffic because of President Trump's tariffs. The drops expected for the week of May fourth. The Port of La is also expecting a significant decline in traffic. The majority of goods imported to southern California and handled by the ports come from China. Catholics in LA will get a chance to honor the late Pope Francis on Friday during a noontime memorial mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown La. The mass comes a day before Pope Francis's funeral in Rome on Saturday at six oh five. It's handled on the news, RFK Junior says it's time to ditch the dies to save our lives. Bill's going to have something to say about that.
Speaker 9: Damie's it, Damie's ni Aami's on it, Ami on it?
Speaker 1: What am I on? While I'm on the stream. There's tons of movies and TVs and TV shows and documentaries, and how do you sort through it all? It's tough sometimes, and I got to tell you, in randomly choosing things, I've taken a dive into some real crappy shows. So hopefully you can take my recommendations and we can find some good shows and maybe save you some time and hopefully you won't go into a binge of an awful show. I've got a list in fact I should do. I should do the like I don't know, streaming sucky streamers or something less, because there's quite a few. This one not one of them. It's kind of fun.
Speaker 10: This is Joe, missus Joe.
Speaker 8: Is this Joe talking.
Speaker 1: About Bridget Jones, Mad about the Boy. It's on Peacock was released I think about a month or two ago. Renee Zelwigger reprises her role as Bridget Jones and does a good job. Like sometimes when they come back and they do movies, they're the character. I don't know if it's the actor has evolved or they've written the character differently or they're directing them differently, but sometimes it doesn't stay kind of true to what they were. This one feels like it does, like she has evolved. The character has evolved in her life because she's you know, twenty years older. The first one came out in two thousand and one and now it's twenty twenty five. But she has made changes that I go, yeah, that could happen. I could see how she would grow that way and that kind of stuff. So that was that was I think that they did a really good job with the writing and the directing and keeping that kind of true to the original character. Colin Firth and Hugh Grant are back. The whole cast of characters is better, and I always love the nostalgia of that. It's kind of like Cobra Kai, where the whole cast gets reunited at some point. This one not a serious though. This is just this is a movie, so it's just you know, an hour and a half, two hours of your time. So Renee is still bridget although she seems more comfortable in her skin. I was talking about how she's kind of evolved. She's not quite as awkward as the original but that makes sense. You know, it's twenty four years later, although in the movie I don't think that much time is passed because she's got kids and they're really young. But maybe anyway, it's Bridget trying to navigate the world and to fine love. And I'm not giving anything away because it happens in the first couple of minutes that you realize that that mister Darcy is gone, tragically killed doing good deeds as he is wont to do. There are fewer cringe worthy moments than in the original. I just remember I loved Bridget Jones, but there were so many scenes that you just go, oh God, Bridget, no like, you know, worse nightmares of social awkwardness. It is predictable, but it's sweet, it's fun, it's it's a feel good watch. And if you just have a couple hours, and especially if you just want to curl up on the couch and feel good about things, I think this is a good one for you to watch. I'm on it. I think you're gonna want to be on it too. Oh and be sure to watch the credits. Most fun part of the credits. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but the credits are great, So on that one, you know, and streaming that goes to the small screen and you can't barely see the credits or it moves on to the next thing. Make sure you watch the credits on this one. It's Bridget Jones mad about the boy. It's on Peacock. Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Morning, Courtney, good morning. How are you feeling about the wild ride today?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm feeling a lot better because markets are looking good today.
Speaker 1: You came back from vacation at just the right time.
Speaker 4: You know what I think, Because I came back from vacation, the markets are doing much better.
Speaker 1: We're joking. But see, here's the problem.
Speaker 4: The White House has been recently ratcheting up the pressure on the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates, and that costs so much time urbulence. We always talk about the feeder Reserve being independent from the White House, being independent from politics. So Wall Street got nervous about that, and yesterday President Trump he dialed it back. He said there is no plan to fire Chair J. Powell, And that's sending stock soaring this morning. And this report is sponsored by Fidelity wealth Management but also helping. The President says he plans to be very nice to China in any trade talks, and that's a sign that he may be backing down from his tough stance on Beijing. So this morning we're looking at Dow futures and if we open right now, we would be up about seven hundred and sixty points. When it comes to the Dow, SMP futures are gaining about two and a half percent, so a nice pop there, and this is building on a big move higher for Wall Street yesterday. The Dow sword oney seventeen points, so a really nice boost. Yesterday the S and P five hundred jumped two and a half percent because the White House has been saying it's been in talks with a lot of nations over tariffs and that the negotiations have been going well.
Speaker 1: I'm an amazed courtney By. It used to be that stocks to be up five points, down, twenty points, up, twelve points, down seven points, but now we're seeing these massive swings of a thousand or more points.
Speaker 4: Yes, because traders are desperate at this point, and any time that there's a headline in when it comes to tariffs and tariffs mean uncertainty. Anytime the White House talks about the Federal Reserve and that they plan to step in, that's uncertainty. Wall Street hates uncertainty and that will send moves. So that's why for a long time, even when the President was coming into office and stuff, there weren't any big headlines that kind of made everybody go, well, I kind of need to change what my portfolio looks like, or I need to change where my trading stands at this point. So when we see these big moves when it comes to trade, when it comes to the stance of where the United States is in result to trade, that's why we're going to see these big moves higher or lower.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's another headline. Tessa Tesla has hit some tough times according to its most recent earning support. Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: But shares are popping higher in the pre market, rising more than seven percent. Here's the reason. Elon Musk says, I'm going to pull back significantly from my work with the government and I'm going to devote far more time to the carmaker. So that's making investors really happy this morning. Tesla definitely has been struggling under the weight of slumping sales, rise and costs. Yesterday, the car maker missed Wall Street estimates for both revenue and earnings, and management backed away from earlier predictions that vehicle sales will return to growth this year. But the problem is his political activities that's alienated a lot of customers. It did some damage to the Tesla brand, and that's why we're seeing some pain when it comes to the numbers that a Tesla keeps bringing to Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then Intel is also go to has hit some tough times and what are the repercussions of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've been struggling for a while. They've been working on a turn and around strategy after years of seating grounds rivals. But this morning we might be seeing some job cut. Sources are telling us here at Bloomberg that the chip maker is planning to slash more than twenty percent of its staff. So it's also been struggling to catch up in artificial intelligence, computing in vidious kind of the King and all of that, and they really kind of missed the ball on everything. We reached out to Intel to get a little bit of insight. They declined to comment on all of this, but they've they've been definitely cutting jobs, trying to realign their management to move into a new focus for themselves for the future.
Speaker 1: And when a company announces cuts like that, does that generally help their stock or hurt their stock?
Speaker 4: Sometimes it usually ends up helping the stock because it looks in a lot of times that means costs are coming down. Unfortunately, it hurts for the workers, they're feeling a lot of pain out there, but for investors that means, all right, well, something that is costing a lot of overhead is going to come down a bit. They can take that money and plow it into other parts of the business and especially in this turnaround strategy that they're trying to do, and what they want to do in all of this is to really streamline management, really rebuild this engineering driven culture that that kind of has been missed for a good long time.
Speaker 1: You mean what they started out as, yes, ha ha aha, all right, Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe getting in your business every morning at five forty. Let's do it again tomorrow, shall we?
Speaker 2: No doubt about it?
Speaker 1: See tomorrow? Thanks Courtney. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. The cost of a building project at the state capitol has nearly doubled. The initial estimate for the capital annex was just over five hundred and forty three million dollars. That was twenty eighteen. Well now the project's expected to cost over a billion dollars. That's roughly the same as it costs to build Levi's Stadium south of San Francisco, where the forty nine ers play. The building will provide offices for lawmakers and the governor, meeting rooms, and a parking garage, all paid for by taxpayers. It'll also provide private hallways so lawmakers can avoid journalists, lobbyists and the public. The so called doomsday mom, convicted of helping to murder her children in Idaho, has been found guilty in Arizona of conspiracy to murder her fourth husband. ABC's Alex Stones's jurors were pulled by the judge yesterday after announcing their verdict.
Speaker 5: They all said that yes, that is what they agree with. That is what they decided on. After about six hours of deliberating. She sat Lori Valodabel in the courtroom, not showing a lot of emotion. Or long blonde hair. She walked in with a whole bunch of documents.
Speaker 1: Da Bell represented herself in court. She's facing another possible life sentence on top of the three she's already serving in Idaho, but she won't be sentenced in Arizona until after her trial in another alleged murder conspiracy. Lobby groups in California spent five hundred and forty million dollars to influence the state government just last year. Kfi's Dina Kodiac says that's up more than ten percent from twenty twenty three.
Speaker 10: Key contributors included Google, oil firms and utility companies. Western States Petroleum Association spent over seventeen million, influencing two thirds of the eighteen bills at backed.
Speaker 1: She says Google spent more in twenty twenty four than it did in the last twenty years combined. The body of Pope Francis is now lying in state at Saint Peter's Basilica. Governor Newsom has called out the Democrat Party, saying it hasn't reflected on the mistakes it made during the twenty twenty four election. He said in an interview with The Hill, Democrats should be open to listening. Hollywood workers are pushing to expand California's film and TV tax credit program. More than one hundred thousand letters have been sent to lawmakers and supportive bills that would raise annual tax incentives to seven hundred and fifty million dollars and also increase eligibility. Let's say good morning now to you see San Diego professor got Mishra. Good morning, doctor Mishra.
Speaker 3: Good morning Amy. It's good to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us this morning. There's a new study out and it really caught my eye because so oh many people in southern California have been affected by the wildfires and Pacific Palisades and Altadena. I mean, thousands of people lost absolutely everything, and we had been talking at the time and after that, the effects of the fires are going to be much more far reaching than we can even imagine. And your research shows that trauma suffered by wildfire victims is even affecting how we think.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you tell us a little bit about your research and what you've found out.
Speaker 3: Sure, we have been studying California's deadliest wildfire, Todate, the campfire from twenty eighteen that really wiped out the town of Paradise. For many years now and we've looked at mental health impacts that include symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression, and we've shown that alongside these mood symptoms that can also be cognitive impacts. In twenty twenty three, we published a first study showing that individuals who are exposed to the buyers are highly distractable. They're unable to pay attention to the task at hand, and everything in the environment seems really threatening and so everything is salient and the individual feels highly distractable to that information. Now, we also want to study that how all of this cognitive impact then plays out on decision making. Every day, we have to make important decisions and we have to really track information to say what is the better decision for us in the long term. I've given the examples of say you want to take on a job right now, which may be a small time job, versus say you want to get some education and then get a bigger job later on, and you have to make that important decision for yourself what is better for you in the long term. Similarly, people who are in disaster recovery, you have to make many important decisions for rebuilding. Therefore, studying decision making is very important, and we found that that ability specifically impacted in people who are directly impacted by the fires, directly exposed to the fires, and this impact, unfortunately, can be long lasting, even when people had experienced the fires a year before this decision making impact was observed.
Speaker 1: Okay, and doctor Mischer, so you're saying it's impacting decision making. Is it that people can't make decisions, can't stick to decisions, or are making bad decisions, or all of the above.
Speaker 3: It's more that they're making bad decisions, making decisions that are more impulsive that would be beneficial in the short term but not beneficial in the long term.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so why is this happening. Is it because there's too much up in the air and because they've lost everything and they just don't know which direction to turn, and so, like you said, they might make something more impulsive to get a quick fix as opposed to thinking it out for the long term.
Speaker 3: Yes, that why is part of the research. We've shown that brain function can really be impacted after suffering a catastrophic event in fact, this has been called the fire brain phenomena, where the brain really gets hyper aroused, hyper alert, and it's almost as if it's highly active and looking out for threats all the time, even though they're no longer threats. After the fire, the brain stays in that wired state and is unable to make the right decisions even though it's trying to make that effort. And this effect can be long lasting. And these brain impacts then are making our cognitive abilities worse.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting, and doctor Mischrad, this affects I mean tens of thousands of people directly, and then thousands more family members and friends who know people who've lost homes and that kind of thing. So is there anything that you can give give some advice on, like how do you choose to make better decisions?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? I think personally, I think this is a time when we make decisions together with the family members. I would really recommend people not make important decisions, especially where they have to choose between options that that are good for now versus good for the long term. Those kinds of decisions, critical decisions, rebuilding, recovery decisions, those kinds of decisions they should make with friends and family together. Especially also people who have not been impacted by the fires. Really take the recommendations of those family members in mind. All community families and friends are here to help people who have suffered from such unfortunate disaster impacts, and our study really highlights that we should be out there helping out our community members making important decisions.
Speaker 1: It takes the village. Doctor Giochi mishra At, UC San Diego, thank you so much for the information. As I said, I came across this and I was like, wow, I mean, we just still don't know how much these fires are going to affect people now and for years to come. So thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it. Is there somewhere we can find out more information about it? Find the study.
Speaker 3: Yes, the paper was published in Nature Scientific Reports in mid April and it's freely available. And yeah, thank you for spreading the word about it.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks again, doctor Goochi mishra At, You see, San Diego, isn't that just so fascinating? Like you physically cannot make good decisions? Have an excuse except you're not affected by the wildfires.
Speaker 9: Oh true?
Speaker 1: All right? This is KFI and kost HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake Up Call, you can listen any time on the iHeartRadio app. And if you've missed any of that last interview with doctor GOOCHI mishra At you see San Diego fascinating research about how the wildfires affected our brains. Can listen to it anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.