Speaker 1: Fifty. Hey, welcome back to Winding the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 1: You're a break eager go on with us, and now we have Ray with breaking news.
Speaker 3: This is on the Balls on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: All right, starting off with some transfer portal stuff, you know, that's how it goes around this time of year. Two more players from the women's team transferred, two more from when this morning this uh, yesterday, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had that, We had that. Yeah, okay, all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I mean total is up to four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totals up to four and they're all good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What is that is there writing on the wall there? I don't know, we just I mean, I don't want to. I don't I don't know. No, I don't make we don't know. What do you guys think?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't want to speak on it too much. I feel like it is though, just because you know.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It's tough. Yeah, it's tough, so many.
Speaker 5: Things keeping it moving.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to tomorrow his game, Malik Brown is going to be a game time decision for Duke tomorrow in the game against Arizona Starter. Yeah, yeah, he was the He was the other one that got injured the same the same game as Flag. I believe in the tournament, so he there's a chance that he comes back.
Speaker 5: Keeping it moving. Coaching carousel is still going on strong.
Speaker 4: West Virginia Higher's North Texas Ross Hodge as their basketball coach.
Speaker 1: Right at this time, we hear the Domondoes start the fall and the teams are being picked off. How many other ones? Because there's another one I want to talk about New Mexico. Yeah, that was the excellent Patino. I thought he'd be a good fit for somewhere else, but Xavier. It's a good pick for Xavier. I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a great pick for Xavier.
Speaker 6: I mean, just to jump in this because I missed it this week, but I mean, what are your guys' thoughts on Miller leaving Xavier to go to Texas.
Speaker 1: Ah, great move. He's gonna be paid a lot of money, I think. I think I think Tommy just as much now though too. We'll see, we'll see how he does. He's going to have access to a lot of money and a lot of talent, and but he's gonna be in the SEC right, Yeah, he is a good coach, He's changes, He's changed his style, so that helps.
Speaker 6: I'm asking more from like, if you're an Xavier fan, like, how how upsetting is that move to you? Because you essentially I feel like he's an executive. I feel like he's an Xavier guy through and through. Sure, Like I just look at Sean. I think that's a program that he fits in. They brought him back and gave him a second opportunity, only for him to leave to another bigger program again. So what's your question? I mean, how would you feel? How would you feel? Do you understand the move from it a totally Xavier fan? Totally totally you get it. If you're Exavier fan, you'd you'd be peeled that he left because you did give him that second chance, But you understand it. I don't understand it, but I totally agree with you too. I think he's unless I misread it, he's great with the mid major group and gets him to play hard for him. I'm sure that he'll do the same Texas, but it didn't work for him here where he had a lot of talent and they couldn't pay for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was a PAC twelve, not to.
Speaker 1: Sec right, you're right, but you still have elite athletes who didn't play hard for him or didn't you know, play copathetically with.
Speaker 2: It for him. Does it make sense? Yeaheah.
Speaker 4: Following that up, though, do you do you feel like kind of having like a Patino with like, you know, the family legacy with that comes with that name.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's a good band aid for Don Miller leaving? I just think Patino's a good I think he's a good coach. I think I did a really good coach. If you can win there, yeah, you can win a lot of places. Yeah, that's why I thought he was a good I think I said this on the radio Monday or whatever. I thought that, No, no, somebody was talking to me on Sunday or Monday. I thought that Patino to Texas would be a good one because his dad's not going to be much longer, two or three and he gets a bonus Patino lingering around. You think you think Rick said Saint John's for an their two or three years, maybe two more.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just got some Well, go ahead and with your with your new other breaking news, probably Sondan going to Saint John's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he well, yeah, he went to Saint John's. A few people thought he was gonna come here. He was in talks, was right before he went to a SU last year that he was gonna he was gonna come here, but ended up going to Saint John. I mean, I think even on Monday we talked about how he might he might take a shot at the NBA or the draft this yere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there was some thought about that because he was good enough before he started the year. I mean, he was supposed to be want done right all right, keeping him moving.
Speaker 4: Heard earlier that the the Suns are on a four game win streak. They played the Celtics tonight. But now they're back in that in that ten spot. You know, Steve, you said they were done. He said they were He said they were checked out a couple of weeks ago for Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: So thinks I mean back in the playing spot.
Speaker 2: I guess they're done.
Speaker 1: Well, even if they're done, how far they're gonna go.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: They're done, They're not. They won a couple of games. Who they beat, Uh, they beat the Bucks on I saw that. I saw that they got the last sick and shot or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: Camp Uh, here we go, pulling that up right now. They beat the Calves, they snapped, they gave them their I think their fourth straight loss at that point. They beat the Bulls and then gave it to the Raptors pretty rough eighty nine to start that win streak that they're on.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm fighting with somebody on the internet text. He knows because he sext to me.
Speaker 5: Okay, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting for all those Suns fans out there, the I mean kind of old news. But Lillard out and definitely with a blood clot in the half and then coming back to Arizona.
Speaker 5: But you know, switching over to to some spring sports.
Speaker 4: Now, I guess softball as a B y U series coming up over the weekends starting on Thursday, going to Saturday, and baseball as a game tonight here at High corvidd Field against Seattle University. All right on, you're up, pal, got got your uh your article here?
Speaker 5: What how do you feel with.
Speaker 4: The new kind of like up tempo offense. Do you think you think like Arizona is a good fit for that for football?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: I mean, time will tell. It's still pretty early like that. He said.
Speaker 8: It's been three days, so they realistically shouldn't know a lot. He says that they've pretty much picked up on most of it and it's getting there. But now it's time to add in the details and the the fun stuff where you can design plays and ah do little things here and there. Overall it tempo is a relative word. It only works if you execute. That's what Day said. Uh, and right now they're just trying this step one, execute and then we'll see success.
Speaker 2: We as in Arizona.
Speaker 4: Right and you know he came from Marshall. He brings like kind of an air raid offense with him too. Right, That's it's gonna be fun to see. I feel like that's that's a big twelve football right there, you know, following it up, you know, not since we're not having a show tomorrow. Tomorrow is opening day for most MLB teams. Got the Diamondbacks playing the Cubs. You excited for it? Excited for the Cubs? For the Cubs, Yeah, I mean, I'm excited for baseball. I mean, I'm a Cubs fan, but I mean I love them. We've got a great partnership with him. I wish them all the best, but I hope they don't beat my Cubbies. But yeah, it's phenomenal.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, I love baseball, so at my core, I'm always going to be a baseball fan. But Opening days always, I think we should. I think everybody should get the day off for Opening Day Baseball. Like I don't think that's crazy. The federal holiday should be a federal holiday.
Speaker 4: I can't disagree with that. There's a little niche of Cubs fans here in Tucson. No, No, a few apart from you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's at Midwest Connection. Then when we were growing up, we had like you had WGN, so you watched Cups games all.
Speaker 5: The time, keeping it going.
Speaker 4: Jim Nance is targeting the one hundredth Masters in twenty thirty six as his retirement from golf broadcasting.
Speaker 2: How old is he right now?
Speaker 5: Sixty five? Sixty five?
Speaker 2: That's very young still, Yeah, and he does a great job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, cool story about Jim.
Speaker 4: Nancy goes to the restaurant that my brother works at every now and then out in California.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, that's too that's too much.
Speaker 2: Marlin. Would you like the great Poopal? What kind of w do you have? With your fish. It's not a very that's not a very good I don't have money.
Speaker 1: That's that's a really poor man's looking at a rich man's voice British, your British voice.
Speaker 9: In it.
Speaker 4: In some sports memory billion news Michael Jordan's Michael A Michael Jordan game worn rookie Bulls jersey sold for four point two million.
Speaker 6: I don't think that's that surprising, to be honest, No, but it's just crazy. I mean you think that's crazy money, right. That's a lot of disposal income that you're spending on a game warn jersey.
Speaker 2: That's nuts.
Speaker 1: Like, so, what's the significance of that jersey?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: It was to be the first worn by the Hall of Famer in the NBAI.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I get that. Eighty four eighty four, yeah.
Speaker 5: Eighty forty five. So yeah, that's pretty crazy. I don't know. It's just man, that's worth I remember the the gentleman that that has.
Speaker 2: The card shop in Georgia geek friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, like the that mark is just like insane.
Speaker 6: That's that's generational wealth, yeah right for a jersey. Yeah, so when we sit around this table right here, because you can't do a rich Man's voice.
Speaker 2: Because you're not rich, is what you're saying.
Speaker 6: I was okay, but I mean that's generational Wealth's like we think about that's that's good for maybe maybe not you guys, but for us, that's good for I mean that would last our lives the rest of our lives for sure. But maybe even if you guys have kids. I don't know if you do, but all for somebody's Jersey.
Speaker 5: Definitely can do.
Speaker 10: Oliver, we could have another, Yeah, Charles Dickens, I like it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Think about the watercob you can buy with that, you know.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, let's listen, man, if you have that money, you're hiring a cook, Like come on, yes, all.
Speaker 5: Right, last big one that I got the police.
Speaker 4: Uh so you know the musical group band back together, staying in summer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Georgia.
Speaker 4: Georgia has a little bit of a struggle, you know, with some speed and uh someone or the police that arrested or clocked Nitro Tuggle had him going one hundred and seven miles per hour before he was arrested.
Speaker 5: On March nineteenth.
Speaker 1: Man, what's the fastest you've gone in the car?
Speaker 2: Oh? Come on, I'm seventy five yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, listen, you're not there's not something you're gonna be showing up. Well, I mean hopefully that's somebody showing up in busting you. But what's the fast whimpud? That's eighty well maybe maybe eighty five. Maybe I think we're allowed to do that going up. I've been on the autumn so that's a little different. But did you do it on purpose? I didn't drive, I was in the car and you.
Speaker 2: What then your butch?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was very you could tell I was stressed. How about that? You can tell I was very stressed. You're like the hostage. Yeah twice you need to get out of here. Okay, going back to the apparel, What is something you guys everybody in this room would spend a ton of money on. What's one apparel item that you'd want to have, like a sports apparel? Like, what's something you would go if you had, let's say, all the money in the world, what would you buy one thing?
Speaker 2: See, this is where the fan comes in to play for me big time.
Speaker 8: If I could get like a Scooby Right jersey, I spent I spent a good.
Speaker 2: Penny on that Scooby Right jersey from you a Arizonia.
Speaker 1: He gave you a lot of money, and that's what I literally said. You have all the money in the world to you, said Scooby, Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it apparel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like yeah, like he's never Jersey literally the same babe Ruth Warren Jersey signed by Baby Ruth.
Speaker 2: You I never saw Baby Ruth. I'll take I'll take Scooby right, I'll give a dang about baby. Come on now, kids today. Yeah, that's true. I get it now, that's cool, that's it, that's it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, you are no big time now.
Speaker 2: Gosh, give me a Victor wib game warn Jersey. Is that better?
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, but that's still not I mean that's why I want to get a fight with him talking about music and stuff, because it's a bad decision. Should not talk about I'm so judgmental when it comes to that, all right, So go around the room, Steve.
Speaker 2: I don't care about.
Speaker 1: Anything though, even if it was any apparel, because you want to jump on me, I will jump on I do not I do not know what I do not care. Yeah, Jim Nancy, Yeah, you want to have better with you?
Speaker 5: Ready? Yeah, Joe Montana's Super Bowl ring from eighty four.
Speaker 2: Absolutely under ye that works? All right, all right, move on?
Speaker 6: Sorry you what what's your answer to your own question? I can't answer that question, super yeah. I mean I would probably say, man, that's a that's a tough question. I did, listen. I wasn't prepared for it. I hate this because I do it all the time. I ask questions and then he comes back to me. I know, I know it's not going to be a Scooby right. Warn jersey Jackie Robinson signed autographed jersey from his first season, first game.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, you gotta go, you gotta call. Okay, let's answer just because it might be a coach. Hello, Hello, you're on the airline the ball? Who's this?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 7: You hear me?
Speaker 12: Sorry?
Speaker 13: JR?
Speaker 2: JR? Real quick?
Speaker 9: How much did you guys pay for Chris Rogers jersey? I'll hang up.
Speaker 2: That's like one of those calls we get from month.
Speaker 6: That's a good question, though, that's a really good question from one hundred dollars. No, not even okay, cool, let's go.
Speaker 1: We go to take a break and come back with Brian Peaby.
Speaker 14: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 1: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 14: Discover with Soul Casino, Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 5: So Fasco Yuki Tribe.
Speaker 15: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tip we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 16: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 17: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 18: Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 19: On twenty second just west of will Not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 19: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpey is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volte team dot com. That's volpe Team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lyndrix, Syncredit grates and avaiable loan programs of subject to change with unt notice.
Speaker 20: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and.
Speaker 1: Trading card games.
Speaker 21: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 19: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to oh twelve thirteen, broud.
Speaker 1: Sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 16: Go cats got bugs, termiteespees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 5: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 13: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mind, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals. If the process that's plime mining is so important.
Speaker 1: Go to betyvm dot com.
Speaker 15: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home, remind don't stress.
Speaker 1: The Window Depot is.
Speaker 15: Here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one soft warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 5: You'll find it all.
Speaker 2: Here at the lowest prices.
Speaker 15: Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to win the Ball here on Fox Sports Fortune fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera. You're Blake Eager wet one. We got Ray.
Speaker 1: Now we have Brian Peabody from the Pima men's basketball program.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Brian, I'm good.
Speaker 11: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Sure, of course, of course.
Speaker 1: I mean I can't remember when we spoke to you last, but I think you might have been. I'm just guessing, you know, maybe twenty three in a row, maybe maybe a little less, did you or not that you found this team special, because I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure you did.
Speaker 1: Uh the magic? The magic? How was that?
Speaker 2: How was the ride?
Speaker 1: It was a blast?
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, anytime you win that many games in a row. Was it ended up being thirty four games in a row, something I've never done in my career, and and you just it it's fun, It's nerve wracking. There's a lot of pressure. You just want to keep going and not disappointing and all that kind of stuff. So kind of a roller coaster, to be honest with you, from a from a coach's perspective.
Speaker 1: The pressure did that hit at a certain number.
Speaker 11: No, now, just because we you know, the group that we had was really, really mature. We didn't have hot a lot of highs and lows with our team. We didn't have a lot of distractions with our team. They get along, you know, they played for each other. So we didn't have a lot of high and low.
Speaker 22: So we just do the same thing every day. We didn't change our routine.
Speaker 11: And I think, you know, if you start changing things because of your winning and all that kind of stuff, you're probably gonna ruin things. So we just decided to keep everything the same.
Speaker 6: Hey, Brian, this is Blake. Thanks for coming on, and just wanted to say congratulations. What an incredible run and was like the talk of the town in my family group text with my dad, like was always updating us on what you were doing. And uh, I just want to know this is this is probably a personal question. How many times did Edgar Soto call you during this this run and bug you?
Speaker 11: Now he was taking credit for everything you got.
Speaker 2: I figured that protly cared about.
Speaker 22: It's like, hey, make sure you mentioned.
Speaker 11: My name when when you're talking to people, because I was the guy that hired you. He was calling and checking in and yeah, he is the guy that hired me. Took a chance, and so I, oh, Edgar a lot for for everything that you done for my career. So congratsbed Or you're the man.
Speaker 2: So you you played these great games.
Speaker 1: You finished third, obviously, take me back to the semi final game. Did you kind of feel odd about what was going on or what were you thinking during the beginning maybe middle in the end.
Speaker 11: Well, two things happened. One is we didn't score like we normally score. I mean, we just had an off night offensively, Like you saw our numbers. You know, we can score one hundred points every single night. The last game for you know, third place centers, I think we on hundred and six and eight or something like that, and we just didn't put the kind of numbers up that we normally do. The second thing that happened, and you know, I'll take the blame for this, is they played small. You know, we have big guys. We have you know, two guys that are six nine that we start, and they played small and the kid came off the bench and I did a poor job adjusting.
Speaker 22: And did I was averaging five points.
Speaker 11: A game ended up with twenty two points that night. I kind of thought that was the difference in the game right there, or had maybe we went small or something. You know, they're always second guests and after you lose. But they shot it, they played well. I think they shot fifty two percent from the three point line and we did not, you know, so that was to me the difference in the game.
Speaker 1: You finished third, which is obviously nothing to sneeze at. And it's great. It's funny because I've covered you know, you of A. They finished second against the Duke in two thousand and one, and they had a great team. I mean, in my mind, the best team ever at U of A. And but they don't get talked about like the ninety seven team and the ninety eight you know, some other teams.
Speaker 2: How do you think this team will be remembered that.
Speaker 22: You have, Well, I mean there's so much to remember.
Speaker 11: I mean, people, you know, obviously look at just the outcome, which is wrong.
Speaker 22: No one like you've been around Tucson see for a long time.
Speaker 11: How many people, how many teams at at any level in any sport won thirty four games in a row. That's to me, that's the hardest thing to do. Know, you can get hot at the right time in one, you know, in one four games to.
Speaker 22: Win a national tournament, and.
Speaker 11: But to win thirty four you got to have a special group to do that, just that one thing, night in and night out, you know, and like each other, play for each other and all that kind of stuff, which they did.
Speaker 22: So I think just for me, the day to day effort that they that they brought every single day.
Speaker 11: We didn't have any highs and lows during the during the season. You know, there was no distraction. There wasn't a kid that would come in and, you know, be pissed off because he wasn't playing and kind of stuff. They all just kind of accepted their roles and played for each other and had fun and it just kind of fell in place. We didn't do anything different, and just I think the maturity of this group, having older guys on my team, you know, really really helped sustain that streak to the whole thing. And I've been you know, I've been in too some on my whole life, and I can guarantee you're gonna have to go back a long way in the record books to find.
Speaker 22: A team that's won thirty four games.
Speaker 11: In a row.
Speaker 2: Brian, when did you know this group was special?
Speaker 11: But I mean, I know John Wooden, so you know, you gotta hit me on the head. But I just think with this summer, you know, Gable, if I could put one senil, one thing in that made a special as Gabe old him and his leadership, you know, he's he went on his mission, came back. So he's an older kid. He's you know, basically four years out of out of high school, and he just kind of led by example. And then it got even better than that. He was leading bulcally, you know, on sidelines and huddle in practice. And you know, if you come to a practice, every coach that came to a practice, the first thing they asked is like, my god, I've never seen a kid like that involved in a practice. And that's why his recruitment has really exploded, you know, to the next level. Because if every kid wants to talk, but no kid wants to talk on the court, at least in the right way. They want to talk trash, but they don't want to talk in the right way, and he does it the right way. And so I owe a lot of the success that we had to Gabe.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you. I don't know you would tell me this. Four or five years ago. You were struggling with the team that you absolutely didn't like coaching. Do you think it kind of things in the world kind of even out and then you get this team.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean I believe in the basketball gods, you know, And so I didn't kill anybody during that year, So I think the basketball gods he ordered me with a really good team. But that year was COVID year, you know. And I'm just telling you, and I'm not bragging because I probably pushed people away, But you got to play for me, to play at Pima, to play for you got to be a Peabody kid. You gotta do things the right way. You got to put you know, work really hard. Obviously, you got to go to class. You got to act the right way. I mean, I just missed a kid, you.
Speaker 22: Know, right before Christmas that didn't.
Speaker 11: Want to do it the Peabody way. And I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just indifferent. And you know, we've had a lot of success doing that. So when we go out recruiting, you know, my assistant said, is he a.
Speaker 22: Peabody kid is a p A lot of kid.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, no, We'll find a Peabody kid. So we finally got a group of kids that wanted.
Speaker 22: To do things to me the right way, and they did it.
Speaker 11: And they did it, you know, better than almost any team that I've ever had.
Speaker 1: So it takes you know, you've been around a long time, You've had a lot of success, a lot of seven I guess, more than seven hundred wins now in your career. Does this a team and this run help in the future with other kids wanting to say, hey, I like the style, I like all this even more than they did before, no question.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, we had our exit meetings yesterday and today, and then we had staff meetings and and we just said, hey, we got to be selective because everybody and their mother wants to come to PEMA right now because of you know, the amount of points we score, the recognition that we get. I have six guys on my team. I've never had this happen to me before. We have six sophomores on my team. And that's it.
Speaker 22: All six of them have.
Speaker 11: Full right scholarships to play at the next level, you know, So Gabe Oldham, obviously, Wes Ball, Cohen j and Max Marley all have Division one rides and then the other two kids, Colin Benson and Cooper Jones, both have Division two rides. So they're all getting their education paid for, you know, for four years, and that's a big deal. I mean, you see the transfer portal and all that kind of stuff, and our guys are getting recruited, so that's huge for you know, for our guys and PEMA college and recognition and stuff so that, you know, end of the day, that's what you want as a coach. You want these guys the better their lives.
Speaker 22: And obviously the experience is great.
Speaker 11: But getting these guys, you know, to the next level is always the goal of mine. And you know, five Fix didn't have an offer coming out of high school and now like Westball, you know, he had zero opera coming out him around of high school. Now he has thirty offers to go play at.
Speaker 22: The next level. You know, do you just like to hear success stories like that?
Speaker 2: Sure? You know, that's that's huge.
Speaker 6: I mean from a kid like me that came from junior college and was able to go on and have the opportunity it's a big deal. I mean, it's congratulations to do It's what it's exactly why you do it. So my question to you, Brian, is that with a new NC DOUAA rule where they're going to allow four year eligibility after junior college, does that help you from a recruiting standpoint.
Speaker 11: Now, well that it hasn't been passed yet.
Speaker 6: Oh sorry, if it did pass, how about that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, if it does pass, oh, no question. I mean I would think obviously I don't know because it hasn't happened yet, but I think it would put a devise on all the postcrads. So instead of going to a postcrad and saving your eligibility, why wouldn't you go junior college get free education, a really good education, not a POSTCOD education, you know, sitting in a gym, doing doing school work, going to a real school like team of college, getting a really good education, get good coaching and all that kind of stuff, and not have it against count against you, and then go play four years of of you know, Division one, Division two basketball. I think it's gonna help junior colleges immensely and in the right way.
Speaker 1: Dude, real quick, you talked about Marley, and I know that I talked to the kid that's going to Iona.
Speaker 2: How do you say his name.
Speaker 11: Again, Cohen Jagin's alive.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's going to on my own. I think that's still on the on the play. Even though that the coach is leaving it, well, we're we're.
Speaker 11: Still talking to them. Obviously, the coach got fired, so there was nothing binding by that, but the coach, the new coaches reached out to us. So we're just trying to figure things out. You know, he's got other offers and.
Speaker 22: All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 11: So in the next two weeks, you know, I've already sat down with all my players and and we'll find a good home for all of them.
Speaker 7: Up for all these kids.
Speaker 11: And if anybody deserves that, he does. I mean, you know, he cared. He was a player of the Year in our conference, first team All Conference. You know, if he's not an All American, something's wrong.
Speaker 22: With the system. He should be a first team.
Speaker 11: All American for everything that he did. Then he was, you know, made All Tournament team in the national in the tournament. So he's achieved everything you basically can at this level, and so he'll he'll get a nice ride, uh somewhere, and we're figuring that out right now.
Speaker 2: The portal is.
Speaker 11: Kind of the best things up. Everybody's going crazy on the portal, and so when the dust settles then hopefully, you know, they'll come down to earth and figure out Hey.
Speaker 22: And this guy, this guy and this guy. And it's just it's new to me.
Speaker 11: You know, I'm old school, and so I'm not very smart. I'm still trying to figure the whole thing out. But we'll make.
Speaker 22: The best of it.
Speaker 1: So let me if I could real quick up. And I'm kind of joking, half joking. Here, did you become a better coach this year because of this success?
Speaker 2: Because you're the same dude.
Speaker 22: That's a great question.
Speaker 11: My wife, Chris says I became a better coach this year, And I said, why is that?
Speaker 22: And she said, you didn't talk as much. I guess I became a better coach because I kept my mouth cut. So so yeah, to answer your questions, yes, I did.
Speaker 1: So is that the way of the future for a Peabody?
Speaker 11: Well, see, we got I gotta have the leadership like I have this year. If I don't, then I have I'm gonna have to go back to the old school Peabody right.
Speaker 1: No, that makes sense though, if you have good dudes and players who listen and then can be you on the court or you in the locker room, you don't need to talk.
Speaker 22: You really don't.
Speaker 11: I mean a lot of you know, you've seen enough game, Like I have a lot of coaches just like the cock to talk. And it was kind of fun just sitting there. It really was. I'm just telling you, I enjoyed it. I just get a bottle of water, sit next to the bench and just listening to what they had to say. And I enjoyed it just like a fan would be enjoying it in the stands. I enjoyed it from right there in that seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm sure they'd love playing for when you scored one hundred points every damn game.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, that's fast.
Speaker 11: Well that you know, when we got the Pima, people forget this.
Speaker 2: You know, before we got.
Speaker 22: There, they'd only won two games.
Speaker 11: In two years, and and.
Speaker 22: We just had to change something.
Speaker 11: And again I'm.
Speaker 22: Not taking credit for as my assistant Mike Morgan and Matt mind and like we got to do something different and back in the day and you know this everybody wanted to be the defensive guru. You know, it's kind of like you know Houston or something like that.
Speaker 11: He played flow and guard and all that kind of stuff. But we weren't getting the guys that coaches was in Eastern and Western and stuff. So we just started playing fast and we got fast and faster and faster, and and it just you know, people want to play that way. Kids want to you know, we'll come to Tima. You know, we had I think seven guys average double figures year.
Speaker 22: Six of them are getting scholars Actually, I take that back.
Speaker 11: We have we have eight guys that got scholarship to my freshmen already have scholarship offers on the board. Hopefully they're going to come back. I'm trying to persuade them to come back. But we had eight guys on my team gets scholarship offers already because of the style pace that we play, you know, they want to be involved in that. We had seven guys averagedlved with double figures, and you know, you get to share the ball. We let the country and assists.
Speaker 22: And it's just a fun way to ply.
Speaker 1: So maybe last question, uh, you know you're in the car car sales bills business. You know you won thirty four if the one thirty three, Uh, you got to sell sell me. You know you you sell ten cars last month, you got to sell twelve more next month.
Speaker 2: How are you going to do it?
Speaker 11: Well? We we we'll do it. We've already started. So I've already signed five kids for next year. So we're we're doing our due diligence. And again I'm not being cocky or bragging, but you know, we can be really selective this year because of the year, Like there's a lot of people.
Speaker 22: That might you know, my phone rings every every two.
Speaker 11: Seconds, the emails, and we're having tryouts and all that kind of stuff, and we have open spots you know that that we need to build. We've got Uh as of today, we have eight guys coming back, and I'm allowed fifteen guys on my roster, so I have seven scholarship opportunities for kids that want to be, you know, involved in something special and team of basketball special. You know, if you ask, you know, any of my kids that you know played first this year, you know they're going to you know, talk about how special team of college not just from the basketball standpoint, but the community of Tucson and the exposure and that you guys give us. The media gives us, you know, and we're in the paper every day, on the radio.
Speaker 22: And people come in interviewing and all that kind of stuff. It's really a.
Speaker 11: Neat environment for junior college. I don't think any junior college has the stuff that we have going on right now. So we just got to keep things rolling and strike it while it's hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool, Well, congrats. You got to know.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna say, tell Mat, I said, Hi, I've known Matt forever and so heye and yeah his assistant coach. So and then I'm sure you and I will run in each other at our favorite neighborhood watering hole at some point.
Speaker 7: Again, no, no.
Speaker 11: No, I've been there in a while. What are you talking about.
Speaker 1: I want to go. I have it either, so.
Speaker 22: Well me, I met Matt over there in thirty minutes.
Speaker 6: Come on over all, right, tell Matt, I said, Hi, Okay, great, you guys got it.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks Brian, take care. Yeah, let's take a quick break and come back on the other side. You're at Arizona men's basketball fan. You know, it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach, Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot.
Speaker 18: Com, walk at nation Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team Over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no copays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance, called Arizona Health Insiders four a H three five five one.
Speaker 5: Four four four four a zho three five five one four four.
Speaker 19: Four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 1: Hey Tuson Steven Verry here, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 2: With the Edmund.
Speaker 1: Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health. Arizona Health.
Speaker 17: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 17: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 23: Craving, Tucsons Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration, So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 12: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids lessis More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 3: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to wind the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve. You're Blake and your ray one. I think he's missing the acts one more. I think he might be His texted me you got him right. No, he's back. He's back.
Speaker 2: No, he's back because you have to get it.
Speaker 1: We worked at Fort Knox here, so we have to get you know, secret codes to get people inside the building.
Speaker 2: True, true, true?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Looking for tomorrow's game.
Speaker 5: Oh how could you not?
Speaker 4: I mean everyone's going to be If you're not watching it, you're.
Speaker 5: Just not a sports person.
Speaker 2: I think the sports bars are going to be packed. Oh are you watching it tomorrow? We just had this conversation earlier. Oh, well, you don't know yet. Yeah. It's probably gonna be in my house. Yeah, don't tell me.
Speaker 6: I don't want to go to the sports bars. We used to do that, like we'd go to a mallie. It's a great place to watch, but it was always a lot there forever by your age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you're watching it with the mom and dad, hlindo and you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'm be yelling too much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm doing the same. As soon as we turned the game on our dog as like see you later. Yeah, as soon as one of those Yeah, I'm one of those guys screaming a fiery mick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I'm one of those guys. You're a coach too. I'm yelling in here for no reason.
Speaker 7: Like you don't think.
Speaker 1: You don't think I get upset watching the games. That's true. Super down, so super down. Sorry, if you guys want to call, please due five two, four, one, six, seventy four forty. I'm not gonna be in tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: It was hard to find guests or people who work the machine here, so I was saying, hello, I'm gonna watch games. You're in the air and nine on the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's this? How you doing? Steve Howard? Yep, just Howard?
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 7: Okay, I got it quick. Yes, it's gonna be I would definitely bet on the U of A because Duke come on, their league was really you know, very very very very factor.
Speaker 1: That's another factor. Yeah, the A SEC was a package.
Speaker 7: And you you were saying Taylor tied for fourth. I don't care if they tied for fourth. In my mind, they were the fifth best team during the year. I don't care about the.
Speaker 22: End because I can name through five right off the battle. Obviously b y U, Iowa State, in Texas Tech, those were those three.
Speaker 2: Teams are more gritty.
Speaker 7: Taylor just wasn't that good, and you know they beat them, and and and I just I think what's going through the battle that's going to be the good. And I want to focus on another thing. I think Duke through the years and the Arizona players, we might have been have a soft label, but we've been better pros than the Duke players period. They won more championships Duke play, I mean, loots people, they won way more championships in the NBA one. There's no questions.
Speaker 2: I'm not an expert. I'm an expert.
Speaker 7: Just you only got you only got Kyrie and Zion is going to be a total flop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, well they have you know what's his name?
Speaker 7: They have no good players. We could we could have ten players that have won championships.
Speaker 2: Even what Bison.
Speaker 7: Delay, didn't he win one two? With everyone with the Bulls, I mean, they've got some pretty good we've they've been injured and then Zion's eating too much of that. That's the worst team he could have gone to. And Bobby Hurley got injured on the motorcycle. He would have been a good Uh.
Speaker 2: Does have more titles the.
Speaker 22: Movie because they have.
Speaker 11: They're like the They're like the Stanford of the East.
Speaker 7: They have higher stands. I'm not saying, you know, they have a smart ball game, but I think all the uf A players are grittier and their dummer and their.
Speaker 2: Jocks stop there.
Speaker 7: And of course the Suns, even if even if the phenomenon, oh that's a duke player, he's got one Jason Tatum, Oh yeah, okay, okay, that's.
Speaker 2: The one I was.
Speaker 7: That's the only one that's that's good, really good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: But even if he plays or not, we're still winning tonight the Suns. But then they'll have a chance to get us back because he's got his ankle. They'll probably be safe with it, and we're going to go back to Boston and it will be a good game.
Speaker 22: Okay, Oh and yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. Go by yesterday called it with three points and only gave me two. I got six points for you. How often do you see your callers in your personal life?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 1: Uh, Howard goes to our shows when we have remotes. Victor goes to our shows whenever remotes. Not very not very I'm not. They don't stalk me, thank god. Uh, just not very often, not very often. They text me like during the show, that's why you're always on your phone? Or ask this question? What about this? Yeah? But this, No, it's cool. This guy's and come on, you were in the forties, forties. Why do you keep the late forties? Things slipped out of your mouth so easily. You said mid nineties when we were talking about buying a house earlier. Do you know old? I was at the mid nineties. You're young, you're like kwand you have an old soul. I do have an old one. It's about thirty two. Yeah, just try and get that's gonna be right.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: About thirty two. No, but our callers and our listeners are our age. Yeah, you know they're thirty five and older. Yeah, you know, come on, this dude, if this dude, if this dude didn't have to be here, they wouldn't be listening to old men Rivera. Although I give them all the wisdom they need.
Speaker 2: That's true, I think. I mean, yeah, I don't know, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, No one, You're right, I want to believe that they would. But those dudes are talking about the Lakers and all this, you know, this other stuff.
Speaker 6: Come on, I've got young people around me at work, and I'm just like, we don't even speak to.
Speaker 2: This, right, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: That's why I have these old crowds that are very loyal to the because it's you know, we talk about stuff that matters.
Speaker 6: I just thought you would create like a Howard Sterne model where you bring them in every now and again.
Speaker 2: Eccentric guest.
Speaker 1: Well, I do have some of those who want to join me on the show to be a guest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then Scheam's dudes, Steve dude.
Speaker 1: That's not a bad dude. Verbal It's like Mike wants is dying to do that. Come in and and he's good and clever, he's probably listening right now with you know, I don't want to be wallly pipped by fat Mike.
Speaker 6: So many things in that sentence right there, but any more calls. Nothing yet, very we're gonna do predictions. Uh yeah, we've got five minutes. I think we got five minutes. I think Kelvin has already gone there.
Speaker 1: Juan's said, his professional career says no, his heart says yes, well, actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can we do? Can we do a score though?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 8: Give me a seventy seven seventy one Arizona.
Speaker 2: That's your heart's saying this.
Speaker 6: No, that's your professional opinion that Juve wins by six. Yes, I think seventy seven to seventy one. They've got to be above sixty six possessions at that point. I think you're in pretty good territory. I'm sorry, I'm statcasting, getting too baseball season?
Speaker 2: You want to talk about spender heart? Must you overthink? You have a thinking problem? I do have a thinking problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, every we all have vices, Steve, we all advice as my friend, Yeah, what do you think you think?
Speaker 1: First take a seventy two first one to seventy two to seventy three Duke will get there first.
Speaker 4: Right, I'd say, I'm the delusional fan on the show.
Speaker 2: I'm calling it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say, I don't know, seventy nine to.
Speaker 6: Seventy youve Yeah, so all three you guys pick you a to win. No, you've got Duke, Yeah, Duke, but they're not going to cover. I mean, I've got Dukelue, I've got Duke winning on my brackets.
Speaker 1: But I'll be a homer. I think seventy five seventy two Uve.
Speaker 2: And the reason why.
Speaker 6: I think we're shooting a three ball pretty well right now, I think we can continue that.
Speaker 2: I got to call good. Hello, you're on the air and one on the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: This is the only time you want to see me is when you're taking my money at the poker cable.
Speaker 1: No, and when you lose a bet like this, because I got a feeling you're gonna bet me on this one.
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm taking there, I'm taking Arizona. You know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why you called in to say that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, are we buying lunch or what?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I'll give you how many points you need make it.
Speaker 9: Realisten need eleven that's.
Speaker 1: Might as well go to Vegas and do it. Why would I do it here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, you go because you got Arizona winning straight up?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, you're gonna give me points?
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 1: I love you, but not that much.
Speaker 2: You're not getting points for me on this one.
Speaker 9: All right, I'll tell you what, straight.
Speaker 2: Up double or nothing? Double or nothing?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Because you owe me? Still no, you owe me. I feel like this is a running theme. I gave you money, I didn't get something in return, or we just you're.
Speaker 2: Just taking people's money. What are you talking about, Rick? What are you talking about?
Speaker 9: Seeve, you're gonna give me points or you're gonna pay me double.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give you what. We'll have to duck this off the air. I think you've been drinking or something. Holy crap. I don't know. No, we'll talk about this because I have no idea what you're talking about. You know, I'm not giving any points. Okay, we gotta we gotta go. You gotta go, thanks man, We gotta go already, we gotta no. We gotta like two more minutes, don't we It's a seven minute Oh really? Holy crap? Okay, guys, thanks to everybody. I'll see you on Friday. Talk to you on Friday.
Speaker 6: We'll see you next week, right, are you you just remember I did pay you for something. I might go downtown tomorrow. Okay, thanks everybody, Thanks for calling all that. We'll see you guys Friday.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, See you guys.